PDA

View Full Version : RHIP

takthekak
02-07-2011, 03:03 AM
When's the last time you got to experience RHIPs?
I am about to submit to get a rental car for tech school
(retrain) it will be interesting if they make me walk miles
everyday...I am betting RHIPs exist mainly in O land these days.

CrustySMSgt
02-07-2011, 03:09 AM
If it is indeed miles, seems like it shouldn't be a problem... unless it is one of those year long tech schools... lol

Shaken1976
02-07-2011, 03:14 AM
I guess it depends on who has to pay for the car. I have an extra bike you could use, but the bridge would be hell.

BRUWIN
02-07-2011, 03:16 AM

AETC funds your tech school...they will never fund a rental. When I retrained I just drove there since it was a PCS anyways. However, if your tech school is not a PCS you can still drive your car there and you'll get mileage. The only way you'll ever get a rental is if your current unit funds it...which they probably won't if you are outprocessing the unit.

What are you retraining into?

takthekak
02-07-2011, 03:30 AM
I remember when RHIP was in the PFE...now, most kids never heard if it and sure as hell do no prescribe to it.

Kirtland_Red_Storm
02-07-2011, 03:34 AM
RHIP=the wife.

itty1979
02-07-2011, 04:14 AM
I went to 7-level school recently. And I had to stay in the billets at the naval base there, the school house was literally on the other side of the base. We were not able to ride the bus with the pipeline students, so we had to walk there. The DFAC which was the only place we were authorized to eat at was back by the billeting. Yet no rental car was preauthorized for the training. But I went ahead and got one out of pocket, when I got back from training(I kept the receipt for it) I explained the locations of the school house compared to billeting, and the finance person for my squadron authorized the rental car and I was reimbursed for the expenses.

FLAPS
02-07-2011, 07:12 AM

How long is the tech school? I've never met any officer or enlisted who was authorized a rental car for an actual tech school...maybe for a two-week course, but not tech school.

What makes you think you have to "walk miles?" Are you concerned about the travel distance between billeting, chow hall, and gym? Or do you want this rental car so you can eat at a downtown Chiles or local mall food court? Seems like you have other options though. Do you have a pov you can take? If not, does the base have a shuttle bus? Perhaps you can ride a bicycle.

Chances are, cutting rental car costs isn't somewhere you'd suggest the gov look into to save money, right?

imported_WILDJOKER5
02-07-2011, 10:43 AM
Are you talking about renting from Hertz or from LRS?

takthekak
02-07-2011, 05:38 PM
Are you talking about renting from Hertz or from LRS?

I wonder if I can check with Lacklands LRS about one...the school is about 7 weeks.
I am currently staffing a request through AETC, before I try my chain...I have
reasons for it, which I will not go into here...

Forsaken Wombat
02-07-2011, 06:17 PM
When I went to Sheppard AFB for a 30 day training TDY, a rental was not authorized for me. Fine, that's understandable...I can use the bus, get a bike from ODR, or walk, whatever, right?

That same time frame, a civilian foreign national was going on a three week TDY to Sheppard as well. The squadron authorized him a rental, justification being "We can't make civilians take alternate modes of transportation..."

It sure is a warm, fuzzy, loving feeling when your squadron takes care of their civilian workers more than their military guys.

I just ended up renting a car out of pocket because the weather was far too cold to walk/bike everywhere and the buses were sporadic at best...

technomage1
02-07-2011, 08:21 PM
I got a rental car during an official course by proving that it was cheaper for the Air Force to fly me into the nearest major airport (3 hours away from the course location), and have me drive there than it was for them to fly me into the minor airport nearest the course location.

It was win-win since the AF saved money and I got to drive a rental car for 2 weeks, which at this particular location made my life a lot easier.

SinisterK9
02-08-2011, 12:30 PM
When I got a 7-level date (about 6 years ago), I asked my supervisor if I could "apply" for a rental car. He referred me up the chain, and everyone gave me the same answer: "Good luck getting the Commander to buy off on it, because no one ever gets a rental car, but feel free to waste your time". Anyway, I properly routed an official memo/authorization up the chain and everyone initialed/approved (Including the Chief) and the Commander signed it. Low and behold, a couple of days later, the Chief comes up to me and says "I heard you were approved for a rental, please let me see the memo". I presented him with the memo, and he promptly took it from me and shredded it. It was a short-lived victory.

imported_WILDJOKER5
02-08-2011, 12:36 PM
When I got a 7-level date (about 6 years ago), I asked my supervisor if I could "apply" for a rental car. He referred me up the chain, and everyone gave me the same answer: "Good luck getting the Commander to buy off on it, because no one ever gets a rental car, but feel free to waste your time". Anyway, I properly routed an official memo/authorization up the chain and everyone initialed/approved (Including the Chief) and the Commander signed it. Low and behold, a couple of days later, the Chief comes up to me and says "I heard you were approved for a rental, please let me see the memo". I presented him with the memo, and he promptly took it from me and shredded it. It was a short-lived victory.
That is because commanders usually don't read what they are signing. They rely on the routing to destroy what they think the commander doesn't want. It must be great getting paid 2-3x more than the people that are actually making the leadership decissions

SinisterK9
02-08-2011, 12:48 PM
That is because commanders usually don't read what they are signing. They rely on the routing to destroy what they think the commander doesn't want. It must be great getting paid 2-3x more than the people that are actually making the leadership decissions

Oh I agree. I just found it funny that my Supervisor, Flight Chief, Flight Commander, Superintendent, Ops O, SFM, and CC all signed off on it. And then out of nowhere, he acts like I'm the a$$hole. It's not like I tried to sneak anything past anyone.

RAFLblues
02-08-2011, 03:12 PM
I received a rental car on an AETC funded training course to Port Hueneme CA. We justified it with a letter stating that a cab from LAX to the base one-way was more expensive then a rental car for 3 weeks. Might be an option worth exploring.

KellyinAvon
07-28-2013, 11:48 AM
http://www.scott.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123212525

You zombie-posted a takthekake started thread with a story that's a year older than the thread itself. Zombie time-travel posting?

I like the guy's take on RHIP.

Eastwood
07-28-2013, 01:37 PM
Believe it or not. One of the best RHIP deals we had was the KC-10 or C-5 was loaded based on rank. Higher in rank got the best seats. Another was a dedicated Rental on TDY's. If anyone has ever been to a Canadian base, bettr chow for E-5 & above.

A great Job perk years ago was the badge that declared Flight Line worker. Got to go to the front of the line at the Chow Hall, BX Commisary etc. This was at one base and was 25+ years ago.