PDA

View Full Version : EPR Extensions for PT and XXX

takthekak
01-06-2011, 06:15 PM
Fitness. AFI 36-2406, paragraph 3.7.5. allows commanders to request EPR closeout extensions of up to 59 days to ensure resolution of any administrative or other significant issues. Approved extensions should be documented by placing the following statement in feedback area in Section V, “Close out date was extended IAW AFI 36-2406, para. 3.7.5.” Other than for fitness testing, extensions are granted only to allow evaluators to document negative behavior, i.e. court-martial actions, investigations, etc. Extensions are not granted to document awards or achievements. Unit commanders may request an extension when Airmen are required to fitness test immediately preceding the EPR closeout date and fails to meet fitness standards. This option can be used to re-test the Airman at the 43d day after scoring “Poor” on the fitness assessment. NOTE: This is the earliest period an Airman can re-test after scoring “Poor” on the fitness assessment test. Use the procedures outlined AFI 36-2406, paragraph 3.7.5. to obtain approval. Extensions beyond this period are not allowed. Extension requests should contain, at a minimum, the ratee's fitness test history (scores/dates) from the portal and significant justification. Please provide justification as to why this case is unique (i.e. profiles, deployments, etc.). Specific medical information is not necessary, but profile limitations are required. If the member does not have a documented profile, IAW AFI 10-248, they are eligible to test. Extensions are not approved solely because one is requested; justification is required. If there were more than 42 days from the failure date to the close out date, include clarification as to why the member did not retest prior to the close out date.

imported_ponch68
01-06-2011, 07:50 PM
"This option can be used to re-test the Airman at the 43d day after scoring “Poor” on the fitness assessment. NOTE: This is the earliest period an Airman can re-test after scoring “Poor” on the fitness assessment test."

AFI 36-2905 2.11.1.2 states that "If a member requests, commanders may approve a retest within the 42-day window following an Unsatisfactory fitness score."

So the 43rd day isn't the earliest period an Airman can re-test. Of course it also says that the categories are "Excellent, Satisfactory, Unsatisfactory, or Exempt".

Sometimes Airmen just have bad days and don't want to, nor should they have to wait.

takthekak
01-07-2011, 02:45 AM
When airman have an EPR in coord, say a firewall 5, and they fail their PT test and their EPR
is getting ready to close, the CC can send a request based on this...I have a guy in this exact
spot right now...We are hoping it comes back approved...then he tests in 43 days, passes,
the EPR closes with the firewall 5, he keeps his line number and life is good...

takthekak
01-07-2011, 02:51 AM
Here is what is currently in, notice the difference between below and what I posted earlier
AIR FORCE INSTRUCTION 36-2406
15 APRIL 2005
Personnel
OFFICER AND ENLISTED
EVALUATION SYSTEMS
3.7.5. Events that occur after the close-out date. If an incident or event occurs between the time an
annual report closes and the time it becomes a matter of record that is of such serious significance that
inclusion in that report is warranted, an extension of the close-out date must be requested. This
includes completion of an investigation begun prior to the close-out date or confirmation of behavior
that was only alleged as of the close-out date. The authority to extend a close-out date for lieutenant
colonel and below is retained by HQ AFPC/DPPPEP (ANG/MPP for ANG personnel; HQ AFRC/DP
for USAFR unit personnel; and HQ ARPC/DPP for IMAs and participating individual Reservists.
The authority to extend close-out dates for AGR personnel is the HQs to which they are assigned).
AFGOMO (for EAD general officers) and NGB-GO (for non-EAD ANGUS general officers) retains
similar authority on AF Form 78. AFCMO retains authority on OPRs for colonels. Extensions will
be granted to cover only the time necessary to complete actions, not to exceed 59 days; a commander-
directed report may be prepared with 60 days supervision (Table 3.3., rule 3, and Table 3.7.,
rule 5). Send requests for extension, through the servicing MPF, to the appropriate office above for
approval (with info to the MAJCOM). This should be done in a timely manner. Include member’s
information, reason for the report, original close-out date, requested close-out date, specific justification
for the request, and all pertinent information (dates of investigations, etc.).

DHarris75
01-07-2011, 02:51 AM
When airman have an EPR in coord, say a firewall 5, and they fail their PT test and their EPR
is getting ready to close, the CC can send a request based on this...I have a guy in this exact
spot right now...We are hoping it comes back approved...then he tests in 43 days, passes,
the EPR closes with the firewall 5, he keeps his line number and life is good...

I wish my CC had sent mine up for this reason. I had a firewall 5 in coord (no line number then). Failed with a 73.9 (after having passed the year prior). My firewall was rewritten to a weak referral 4 and no test for that year.

I am glad this is option is being used more...but I if I said I wasn't bitter that I wasn't given this chance - I would be lying.

takthekak
01-07-2011, 02:56 AM
I wish my CC had sent mine up for this reason. I had a firewall 5 in coord (no line number then). Failed with a 73.9 (after having passed the year prior). My firewall was rewritten to a weak referral 4 and no test for that year.

I am glad this is option is being used more...but I if I said I wasn't bitter that I wasn't given this chance - I would be lying.

I had not seen this until recently...I hear when a CC asks for it, it pretty much goes through, but we are still waiting and the guy is getting ready...This actually makes sense, scary...a guy should not have a firewall 5, test 1 week before the closeout and have no opportunity to pass before closeout...I realize that is argumentative...It's Commanders discretion...guess what also, no where in the regulations does it state a person cannot put on a stripe with a current PT failure...It's Commanders discretion...If someone things different, please inform me...We have a bunch of PT issues, 1,2,3, and going on 4 PT failures, within 2 years, so we have researched the heck out of everything to keep people in the AF.

With the people who have to pass, or have failed before, I go to the PT test with them, cheer them on to make sure they get the minimum pushups and situps...then run with them to get that 75 or better...and as of late, I even offer to pay for a wrap at a salon to cut an inch or so off their waist.

itty1979
01-07-2011, 07:21 AM
Failing the PT test in and of itself does not mean you can not sew on the next stripe, however, Failing the PT test before the closeout of an EP_r without a retest does qualify for an automatic referal, and with a referal EPR you cannot test, nor sew on the next rank. Therefore, failing a PT test does in fact disqualify you from sewing on or testing. Now I could be wrong, if anyone has any firther clarification I am all ears, but this is what I am getting out of it.

takthekak
01-08-2011, 04:48 AM
Failing the PT test in and of itself does not mean you can not sew on the next stripe, however, Failing the PT test before the closeout of an EP_r without a retest does qualify for an automatic referal, and with a referal EPR you cannot test, nor sew on the next rank. Therefore, failing a PT test does in fact disqualify you from sewing on or testing. Now I could be wrong, if anyone has any firther clarification I am all ears, but this is what I am getting out of it.

That is basically right...sort of...if one has a current PT failure, MOST people will not let them assume the next rank...you may get some rogue CC's allowing it...Now that being said, if people fail and the epr closes, 1) request the ext and if it comes back denied then 2) see if CC will play shell game (close out EPR day before PT failure if all that fails than there may be a 3 option as well...

DWWSWWD
01-08-2011, 06:58 PM
"This option can be used to re-test the Airman at the 43d day after scoring “Poor” on the fitness assessment. NOTE: This is the earliest period an Airman can re-test after scoring “Poor” on the fitness assessment test."

AFI 36-2905 2.11.1.2 states that "If a member requests, commanders may approve a retest within the 42-day window following an Unsatisfactory fitness score."

So the 43rd day isn't the earliest period an Airman can re-test. Of course it also says that the categories are "Excellent, Satisfactory, Unsatisfactory, or Exempt".

Sometimes Airmen just have bad days and don't want to, nor should they have to wait. They don't have to any more. IAW new fitness AFI they can retest the next day with CCs concurrence.

LRO_AD
01-11-2011, 12:17 AM
If I was a commander I wouldn't authorize an extension or a retest before 42 days. You knew what the standards were well before your EPR closeout, therefore it is your responsibility to ensure you meet those standards. If you do not and your EPR needs to be closed out then you obviously do not meet standards and your "performance report" will reflect poor performance.

imported_Renazance
01-11-2011, 01:48 AM
If I was a commander I wouldn't authorize an extension or a retest before 42 days. You knew what the standards were well before your EPR closeout, therefore it is your responsibility to ensure you meet those standards. If you do not and your EPR needs to be closed out then you obviously do not meet standards and your "performance report" will reflect poor performance.

+1!!! I hate when people expect commanders and the chain to bend over backwards and request extensions just because some people failed to meet standards through no one's fault but their own.

Shrike
01-11-2011, 02:01 AM

100% correct; it reflects poor performance on what should be just one minor standard, but one that has ridiculously been blown out of all proportion to its actual importance to the mission.

ScoobyGSX
04-26-2011, 04:31 AM
All this is good & well, but...what if somebody's EPR closeout was today, and their pt test was cancelled twice ? So their EPR closed out without them even having a chance to test..can it still be extended?

VFFSSGT
04-26-2011, 05:50 AM

You are right. One knows when their test is for 6 months. If you cannot get in shape enough to pass this test in 6 months, you got issues.*

However, at the same time - if you are worried about a "bad/off day" you apparently can request to take your PT test early so you have enough time to pass before the closeout should you have an "off day."

*Exception to those that work on the flight line for 16 hour days and those with legitimate medical issues.

Note: I do disagree with the over-emphasis on the PT Program and it's singular effect on careers over other standards. But it doesn't change that you know you have 6 months to prepare and all you got to do to prepare is do a mock test 3 days a week. This will get the average person through - it got me through after a major surgery and being inactive for months due to such.

CrustySMSgt
07-12-2013, 01:22 PM
Are extensions even approved any longer?

Very rarely and only for unsusual situations... but I'm guessing somewhere out there they're being used to hook up the CC's fellow Os or favorite troops.

I will say close-out extensions are noticed by promotion boards...