PDA

View Full Version : 1C3X1 Retraining ( command post )

bearsmall88
07-27-2010, 04:26 PM
Hi I'm in the air force and I'm looking to cross train into 1C3X1. Just wondering what the job is like, work schedule, deployments, daily routine, Can the job be intense, when is it at it's most mentally stressful, if it ever is, do you have many or and washouts/forced retrainees, upgrade time, any or all of this info will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

(Please only post if you intend to offer info ON THIS THREAD, not tell me to go read some year old thread i have already seen, or give me a link to about.com, or go tell me to just go talk to a command post airman on my base.)

Any help on the things i listed in the first paragraph would be greatly appreciated, as i am looking for personal experience, not a generic job description. Thank you in advance.

Battleshort
07-27-2010, 05:36 PM
Hi I'm in the air force and I'm looking to cross train into 1C3X1. Just wondering what the job is like, work schedule, deployments, daily routine, Can the job be intense, when is it at it's most mentally stressful, if it ever is, do you have many or and washouts/forced retrainees, upgrade time, any or all of this info will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

(Please only post if you intend to offer info ON THIS THREAD, not tell me to go read some year old thread i have already seen, or give me a link to about.com, or go tell me to just go talk to a command post airman on my base.)

Any help on the things i listed in the first paragraph would be greatly appreciated, as i am looking for personal experience, not a generic job description. Thank you in advance.

One question.

What are you looking to cross into - 3E2X1 or 1C3X1?

bearsmall88
07-27-2010, 06:25 PM
Either or, Both. Have not commited to either, trying to choose between the two. So any info you have on either would be helpful. thanks.

BigT2002
07-27-2010, 08:47 PM
Well here you go my friend. Take it for what you want:

Most bases you are going to work 12 hour shifts, just the sad truth. The reasons for this is three-fold. 1) Deployments for us are pretty bad right now because they can't keep anyone in the AFSC. 6 month deployment, then usually a year off until you deploy again. 2) Every single base needs you there regardless if its Air Force or Marine. If there are USAF personnel there...you are going to see us there in some facet. Wether its to be there for a day or two is the TBD thing. 3) Most of the crusties who've been doing it forever don't wanna do console work anymore so they take all the back office jobs. Tie that in to other bases have higher priorities (Global Strike vs AETC) and certain bases get all the bodies.

You'll get a TS regardless because its written in the AFI we do. If you can't get it or maintain it, you're kicked out of the AFSC. The good news is this means you can move up and around the TS clearance side. There is more to a TS than just "Top Secret." You have SCI, SSBI, Yankee White...blah blah blah. You get those by doing certain jobs, mostly special duties at the White House, NAOC, or whatever. So yep you can get a flight suit if you really want!

Daily Routine: It will all depend on where you go dude. Some places I've been to, you are up to your ears in stress because you are actually doing Command & Control duties. These are mainly overseas bases, or bases which are main hubs in the CONUS. The Emergency Actions that every base does will keep you studying to learn things, but in all honesty you shouldn't have an issue with it. But it is intense at the STRAT level. Other bases I've been at you won't do dick but sit and wait for the phone to ring and something to do. Those are typically the bases where you turn into a phone operator for Standby Rosters or finding someone because the Operator can't find them. How you handle it, or how your base handles that, is completely up to leadership. I've had some who squashed that mundane crap and others who didn't care because they felt we didn't do enough anyways. You are a reactive person. Meaning you really won't do a lot of stuff until something happens like a DUI, someone dies, or an aircraft crashes. Does mean you'll have a lot of downtime in most cases. However, some places you could go can have no notice things like NORAD where you're scrambling aircraft in the air for whatever reason the Sectors or CINCNORAD believes is a threat.

Most people who xctrain into the AFSC don't know what to make of it because it is honestly made by two people: Your Commander (since you work directly for the Wing King and not a piss ant) and your OIC/Super with their policies. Like I've said, I've had some bases where you feel like you are making a difference in the world, and I've had others where it feels like you are an extension of the Wing King's admin people. The good news is you are the face of the Wing when it comes to Inspections (we are the only place where if we fail, the wing fails the whole thing) to emergency disasters (exercise and real-world typically have all personnel calling YOU to get the info and you calling them for it, if they aren't in the area anyways), to how quickly your base responds to deployment orders (it rides on your phone calls literally). So while there is a lot of politics in it, in all honesty it was awesome at times. Never went to a CC Call because of my job. Never got stuck outside during Phase II "Alarm Red" things because we either knew it was happening or we didn't have to don our gear because the Full Birds didn't want to wear it any longer, to the type of deployments I have had the honor of doing. it will be what you make of it plain and simple. Our unofficial motto was: "If I've done everything right, everyone will think I haven't done anything at all."

bearsmall88
07-27-2010, 09:58 PM
Thanks alot exactly the kind of info i was hoping for. lol

bearsmall88
07-27-2010, 10:00 PM
sorry about the lol! i was replying to the thread and texting at the same time got my conversations mixed up. sorry i appreciate the info but i know that lol may be interpreted as sarcasm since there werent any jokes told.

bearsmall88
07-27-2010, 11:47 PM
one more question. about the schedule is that 4 on 2 off, 4 on 4 off, 3 on 3 off, etc......

Max Power
07-28-2010, 02:07 AM
You'll probably wash out of this too.

Jumper5
07-28-2010, 02:16 AM
Go talk to a command post guy on your base.

ChiefB
07-28-2010, 03:02 AM

Previously posted:

"If you want to know what's happening 24/7 in the AF and be in-the-know at your installation and work close with aircraft, maintenance and operations, the CP is the place to work, in my experience.

It is a small community and much is done in close concert with the Cmdr. Shift work is the norm. You will be required to work holidays and weekends as your schedule dictates.

You may be required to be armed and obtain a TS or higher clearance. Some aircrew billets are available. You may be required to work underground or in a tent. Most CPs are windowless and have restricted access. You may be required to be certified in Nuclear weapons command and control and the "Two Person Policy and work on a team with a CGO/FGO.

You will be required to operate classsified, automated reporting systems, ground & aircraft radios and base alarm/alerting systems at most command posts. Frequent communication with HHQtrs, Flag and Staff Officers, and most unit senior officers in addition to Baseops, Tower, Fire Dept. and SFs is the norm.

Closed book job knowledge and procedures testing, during inspections, is usually required with 90-100% passing scores required. You may be required to be on the Personal Reliability Program, also. Failure in job standards and/or other required areas may result in "decertification" and retraining or involuntary cross-training out of the career field.

Advancement in rank in the CP specialties is average to better than average, depending on your position, skill and responsibility (all other factors being equal).

CP operations are at most every AF installation around the world.

CP operations can be a very rewarding career but it is known for it's extreme tension interspersed with periods of boredom.

To be a success in CP ops you need to be bright, a quick study, aggressive, confident and a "team" player.

It is no job for a loner or a shrinking violet.

Good Luck!"

ChiefB
For other comments...see: http://www.militarytimes.com/forum/s...1-Command-Post (http://www.militarytimes.com/forum/showthread.php?1584208-1C3X1-Command-Post)

ChiefB
07-28-2010, 03:07 AM
Pardon me for reposting to your duplicate request for info...I didn't realize until too late that you had originated the previous thread.

ChiefB

takthekak
07-28-2010, 03:09 AM
I also looked into it...my advice; look at more options...and by all means, DO NOT work
command post at a nuclear base!!!

bearsmall88
07-28-2010, 04:56 PM
no command post at a nuclear base ok lol. im also looking at a ce job, pavements and construction equipment. what do you think of that?

synergy_68
01-15-2014, 06:18 AM
Been nearly 3 years since someone has posted here... I have recently been deemed eligble to retrain. SSgt out of Langley. Should take me 2-3 weeks to get everything together.

Im retraining because my TS clearance is useless in my current careerfield and would love to have it used/renewed when the time comes. I had a Contracting slot in 2012, canx due to no Quotas.. reapplied in 2013 for Sensor Operator, classdate canx due to the retention/reduction program. Needless to say Im doing my best to leave Supply, but also maintain my TS clearance.

Anyone else jumping on the retraining with me?