PDA

View Full Version : When did it become cool to brag?

imported_biddy1030
08-25-2009, 05:19 PM
When did it become cool to brag about being in the military? now im not saying its dumb to be proud of what you do as i am extremely proud but some people take it too far. For example, ive seen several cars leaving base with their AFSC badge on the back of their window and i even saw a car that said AEF4. Why the hell would you put that as your license plate? In case you forget? Personally, i like to keep a low profile that im in the military. I dont go around with huge AF stickers on my car, or even show my military ID if not needed, or wear my uniform when somewhere like target which i do see quite a bit. Maybe it is just me but i just dont feel it is neccessary to boast about being in the military.

JTAC_Sean
08-25-2009, 06:31 PM
Shit, I don't even tell people I'm in the military.

Jumper5
08-25-2009, 06:34 PM
Shit, I don't even tell people I'm in the military.

Your beret and ABUs kind of give it away,

imported_Seasons
08-25-2009, 06:37 PM
Out of uniform, I don't say a thing. I prefer to use my driver's license if ID'ed at a bar or something. Why draw the attention? We've got big enough crosshairs on us from militants worldwide.

akruse
08-25-2009, 06:39 PM

You're a sharp one.

Golf Clap for you.

JTAC_Sean
08-25-2009, 06:52 PM

I should have been more specific. I meant out of uniform, obviously.

Out of uniform, I don't say a thing. I prefer to use my driver's license if ID'ed at a bar or something. Why draw the attention? We've got big enough crosshairs on us from militants worldwide.

While I also use my driver's license and not my military ID when I get carded, it's certainly not because I'm worried Al-Qaeda has operatives hiding around the bars in KS or NC or NY or FL. It's because a lot of places either charge a cover for military or don't let them in. (When you get away from the crap towns outside the gates, that is.)

imported_Seasons
08-25-2009, 07:04 PM

While I also use my driver's license and not my military ID when I get carded, it's certainly not because I'm worried Al-Qaeda has operatives hiding around the bars in KS or NC or NY or FL. It's because a lot of places either charge a cover for military or don't let them in. (When you get away from the crap towns outside the gates, that is.)

That habit here keeps me from doing stupid shit overseas, where it is a real threat.

imported_kobrien22
08-25-2009, 07:18 PM

I've never been denied entry into a bar or charged cover for being in the military. Not even when I was in Guam where a lot of locals really don't like us. Where are these bars you're talking about?

JTAC_Sean
08-25-2009, 07:24 PM
I've never been denied entry into a bar or charged cover for being in the military. Not even when I was in Guam where a lot of locals really don't like us. Where are these bars you're talking about?

Manhattan, KS. Home of Kansas State University, with Fort Riley 20 minutes up the road. You have 20,000 Army guys and 20,000 frat guys fighting over the same territory and the same pieces of ass every weekend. Literally fighting, every weekend. Guess who always goes to jail even if they don't always start it? Yeah, the military guys.

The bars don't charge because your military; they know they can't get away with that. So they charge $10-$15 cover charge if you don't have a KSU student ID, which means the military. There's ways around it, of course. My favorite is being a function alcoholic because then all the bouncers know you and let you in anyway.

Not easy on the liver, but it is easier on the pocketbook.

imported_AFKILO7
08-25-2009, 08:30 PM
Kansas?! I'm sorry.

akruse
08-25-2009, 08:35 PM
Kansas?! I'm sorry.

Take a gander at his screen name, put that together with his location and his mention of a big Army population and you should get a clue.

imported_bluejacket
08-25-2009, 10:15 PM
When did it become cool to brag about being in the military? now im not saying its dumb to be proud of what you do as i am extremely proud but some people take it too far. For example, ive seen several cars leaving base with their AFSC badge on the back of their window and i even saw a car that said AEF4. Why the hell would you put that as your license plate? In case you forget? Personally, i like to keep a low profile that im in the military. I dont go around with huge AF stickers on my car, or even show my military ID if not needed, or wear my uniform when somewhere like target which i do see quite a bit. Maybe it is just me but i just dont feel it is neccessary to boast about being in the military.

About the same time a lot of dumbasses started displaying every AFAM, AFCM, MSM writeup they ever got, all the stupid hardware from quarterly awards, coins (they bought), etc. in their offices. You can learn a lot about people from their offices. People who do things like I mentioned above aren't in it for the right reasons; they have been sucked in by swelled-head crowd.

Silver Fox
08-25-2009, 11:17 PM
It's been cool forever to some people. Movies made it that way. Before movies, newspapers. As long as their have been militaries there have been men bragging about it and women ooing and awing over it.

I did it as a young airman back home on leave. The chicks back home ate it up.

Now? I keep my hair just barely within regs so assholes don't ask me if I'm in the military and if they do I can so "No" and get away with it. I deny being in the military to damn near everyone I know and just say my job makes me travel a lot and the hours suck balls.

Mr. Happy
08-25-2009, 11:29 PM
I have never bragged to anyone about being in. My family knows I serve, and they are proud...that's good enough for me.

Back in the day (90s) when it was mandatory for us to wear DCUs through civilian airports to/from the AOR, the attention actually made me feel uncomfortable. Not for my safety, but because I didn't want the attention.

AF Chief
08-26-2009, 01:27 AM
Well not until a change a few years ago, it was hard to hide you were in the military with that base access sticker on your car. And overseas, your license plate is a dead give-away.

Silver Fox
08-26-2009, 01:34 AM
And bragged isn't the right word.

"Took pride in" is much better. I used to take pride in being the military. Now people are like "Are there any military personnel here tonight?" And I duck my head and glance around to make sure no one points a finger at me.

imported_chipotleboy
08-26-2009, 03:34 AM
Try wearing that uniform on a college campus from the late 60s to mid 80s. I heard a lot of snide and even hostile remarks on campus when I started ROTC in 1984. My instructors told me stories about driving to work in their civvies and changing into their uniform at their office because attitudes off base were pretty hostile. But by the time I graduated college, attitudes had changed considerably.

Yes, things have gotten pretty 'Hollywood', but it beats the way things used to be.

As far as Military ID vs Driver's License, I tended to use military ID since I had an out of state driver's license at most towns where I was stationed, and got less of a hassle. Even now, Lowe's will occasionally give me the military discount when they see my retiree ID.

Mi11er
08-26-2009, 04:03 AM
The AIRFORCE Hollywood?!?!?! NEVER!!!!! We would never sell out for something like that... hell... they would probably just stick us in some movies as extras and kill us all off since thats there....oh wait.... FUCK... they got us.

Silver Fox
08-26-2009, 04:10 AM
The AIRFORCE Hollywood?!?!?! NEVER!!!!! We would never sell out for something like that... hell... they would probably just stick us in some movies as extras and kill us all off since thats there....oh wait.... FUCK... they got us.

I hate Iron Man for that. They totally portrayed us as idiots.

Wait a minute.... never mind.... they hit the mark. ;)

technomage1
08-26-2009, 07:02 AM
Hollywood is a mixed bag in portraying us as cool or not. Stargate (the series) made us look kick @ss awesome, for example.

As far as the ID card, it depends on the location. In Guam, I'd show it all the time as it got me a discount at most places. When I'm at home on leave, if I'm arranging travel I show it (sometimes I've gotten free upgrades from it - I don't ask for them, they were given to me). I also show to TSA for a smoother trip through security. When I'm writing a check at the local Wal-Mart, I show my driver's license. So it depends on the situation. It's the same with clothing, really, I have a jacket with the AF symbol on it that I only wear in the US.

Since I'm overseas I virtually never show it on the local economy, nor do I stand out. I try to blend in with the locals in dress and what's on my car.

Pride can be a good thing or a bad thing based on the situation.

JTAC_Sean
08-26-2009, 07:45 AM
Kansas?! I'm sorry.

Better than the four years I did at Tinker AFB, OK. I'll go AWOL before I ever go back there.

imported_AFKILO7
08-26-2009, 12:40 PM
Take a gander at his screen name, put that together with his location and his mention of a big Army population and you should get a clue.

Yeah I caught that a long time ago....i am not going to explain.

imported_AFKILO7
08-26-2009, 12:42 PM
Better than the four years I did at Tinker AFB, OK. I'll go AWOL before I ever go back there.

I have heard that from some others too!

imported_biddy1030
08-26-2009, 01:09 PM

Hellsworth was probably my worst assignment ever, and by probably i mean absolutely

Shrike
08-26-2009, 03:18 PM

Did Tinker when I was but a wee airman and it was great - low cost of living and friendly women. What more does a young airman need? Now, get about five miles outside of OKC and you start hearing the banjo music from Deliverance. :)

Gunner007
08-26-2009, 04:49 PM
I look at it this way. During/after Vietnam people hated the military and all the vets were afraid to let anyone know they were military. When Gulf 1 kicked off all the Vietnam vets made sure we didnt get shiite on when we returned. So sentiment warmed to military vets a little and people didnt mind admitting they were in the service. Couple that with the slew of places that began offering discounts and free passes to military and service people began to get the idea it was okay to admit they were in the service.

Now flash forward to Gulf 2 and GWOT. THere are some young guys proud of their service to their country and they display it and thats cool with me, be proud of your service, i wish more people would serve and learn what its like and maybe we could dilute the liberal gene pool a little.

Whats more you have tons of poser's now who maybe want to sound like a cool military tough guy at a bar or something, maybe they get more trim posing as a true hero i dont know but its become trendy to pretend your a military guy now. With 2 wars going on full time and more being fought off the radar some people are trying to cash in on our service.

As for people with decals and stickers on their cars. Well i use to have green feet on my cars but apparently everyone remotely near a rescue unit suddenly thinks they have somehow earned the green feet although they have never done one single combat mission, so i took them off my cars, they have been polluted to the point they have no value to me anymore. I instead had decals made that posers wont display. Since gunners have a long history dating way back, we have always held on to our original wings. They are no longer official in the AF but we pin them on a guy when he graduates the school house and display them as our own tradition still today. So i made gunner wings decal and put that on my car.

As for security and someone trying to target you... get a clue, plots have been busted at Ft. Dix just recently and the hit the CIA HQ at the main gate! When the dirka dirka's decide to target a military guy CONUS it likely isnt going to be blowing up a grocery store because there is a military guy in the car, they will do what has worked in the past and target the gates and main base proper. That bomb a disco is OCONUS TTP because they want a place where all the military guys hang out. CONUS there are just as many non military as there are military almost anywhere you go, except the base!

Arm yourself, train, train, train, and train some more! If some dirka dirka wants a piece of your ass, why run & hide? Be respectful of other cultures and politely provide him 72 virgins.

Mr. Happy
08-26-2009, 11:22 PM
As for people with decals and stickers on their cars. Well i use to have green feet on my cars but apparently everyone remotely near a rescue unit suddenly thinks they have somehow earned the green feet although they have never done one single combat mission, so i took them off my cars, they have been polluted to the point they have no value to me anymore.

These are probably the same people assigned to places like Cannon or Hurlburt Field where the wing designation name has "Special Ops" in it, and they somehow think being in a Special Operations Wing in any AFSC capacity warrants them the same respect as a PJ, Combat Controller, etc. ...SOLRS guy at the bar "yea, I'm assigned to a special ops unit" ...gullible bimbo response "REALLY!?, that is so COOL!!!"

VFFSSGT
08-26-2009, 11:58 PM

Didn't the 9-11 hijackers train and learn to fly planes in FL?!?! :confused:

Yeah, I remember those days.... Fresh in and out of tech school then I quickly realized how retarded it was to 'advertise' such on your vehicle. I guess some just never grow up or are so ate up. Where I am stationed now, I venture to say the earlier cause more time is spent planning 'pep-rallies' than actually doing a job (I mean that quite literally too).

About the same time a lot of dumbasses started displaying every AFAM, AFCM, MSM writeup they ever got, all the stupid hardware from quarterly awards, coins (they bought), etc. in their offices. You can learn a lot about people from their offices. People who do things like I mentioned above aren't in it for the right reasons; they have been sucked in by swelled-head crowd.

Amen...

And bragged isn't the right word.

"Took pride in" is much better. I used to take pride in being the military. Now people are like "Are there any military personnel here tonight?" And I duck my head and glance around to make sure no one points a finger at me.

There is a difference in pride and diluted with one's self....

I also show to TSA for a smoother trip through security.

I had a TSA agent (last year) tell me my Military Identification was not sufficient and they needed to see a state ID because it was the requirement. Needless to say I spoke to their supervisor immediately and wrote TSA headquarters because I am well aware of sufficient ID's for airport security as they are plain as day on their website. I received an apology from supervisor and headquarters and was informed their employees have been refreshed in what was accepted. The supervisor stated this individual did not normally work the gates but in the back office at a desk. Made me feel good about the level of security... :rolleyes:

As for security and someone trying to target you... get a clue, plots have been busted at Ft. Dix just recently and the hit the CIA HQ at the main gate! When the dirka dirka's decide to target a military guy CONUS it likely isnt going to be blowing up a grocery store because there is a military guy in the car, they will do what has worked in the past and target the gates and main base proper. That bomb a disco is OCONUS TTP because they want a place where all the military guys hang out. CONUS there are just as many non military as there are military almost anywhere you go, except the base!

Arm yourself, train, train, train, and train some more! If some dirka dirka wants a piece of your ass, why run & hide? Be respectful of other cultures and politely provide him 72 virgins.

And since I cannot carry a weapon on base, I won't be armed outside the gate to be able to defend myself and others. SF does not have jurisdiction outside the gate and even if they did, they would all ram the barriers going out the gate rushing to have something real to do. Saying this jokingly but have seen base emergency services hit the barrier going off base for mutual aid support of the community. Average civilian LE response time is 7-10 minutes on a good day running code 3. Basically, we are all a sitting target and cannot do anything to defend ourselves.

Gunner007
08-27-2009, 03:21 PM
These are probably the same people assigned to places like Cannon or Hurlburt Field where the wing designation name has "Special Ops" in it, and they somehow think being in a Special Operations Wing in any AFSC capacity warrants them the same respect as a PJ, Combat Controller, etc. ...SOLRS guy at the bar "yea, I'm assigned to a special ops unit" ...gullible bimbo response "REALLY!?, that is so COOL!!!"

LMAO, i figured it had something to do with pulling more trim. Its amazing how some of the younger gals will go gaga for a line like that. Wish the MILF's were the same way LOL.

Gunner007
08-27-2009, 03:35 PM
And since I cannot carry a weapon on base, I won't be armed outside the gate to be able to defend myself and others. SF does not have jurisdiction outside the gate and even if they did, they would all ram the barriers going out the gate rushing to have something real to do. Saying this jokingly but have seen base emergency services hit the barrier going off base for mutual aid support of the community. Average civilian LE response time is 7-10 minutes on a good day running code 3. Basically, we are all a sitting target and cannot do anything to defend ourselves.

yep... i have tried and tried to argue this with certain people in a position to know better and make a difference but all they can think of is, people on base with guns cant be good!

Maybe some people are more dangerous with a weapon to themselves than they are to the threats but i drew up an arming plan based on CC discretion and the 523 program that would have made sense, allowed people the CC deemed responsible enough & properly trained to keep their POW in their vehicles on base. I laid out a whole plan with solutions and control measures and was met with the same crappy ass liberal mindset that makes concealed carry in the civilian world so hard in places. Either the higher ups dont have faith in their operators or they dont have faith in the training procedures in place. Either way, its total shit thinking! You trust some of us with fully automatic weapons on the streets of foreign countries but not with a semi-auto handgun on the streets of our own base?

Since i work the armory, i transport weapons to and from CATM all the time and have to sit on ISU's and stuff armed. You should see the look people give you when you arent wearing a beret and are armed on base! I'm like, really? You do realize this IS a military base right, people DO carry weapons in their daily duties that arent cops!

I had spent the entire morning on the range and me and my other armory guy were coming back from the range having sweat out every drop of water we could drink that day. I knew the unit snack bar was empty so since the shopette was on the way back i swung in and went in and grabbed us some drinks. Since we were armed up to move weapons and run the range we couldnt drive a POV. I parked our polaris off to the side of the shopette and ran in, got the drinks and came back out. Some SNCO decided he needed to give my guy the 3rd degree on why we were in a polaris at the shopette! First, people need to mind their own dang business, stop assuming my integrity is in question, which is exactly how the guy came across! Second the M-9's we are wearing should make it evident its not possible for me to drive a POV right now! People cant wrap their heads around the fact someone other than a cop would be armed on base to do their jobs!

imported_2T2_1997
08-27-2009, 03:59 PM
Didn't the 9-11 hijackers train and learn to fly planes in FL?!?! :confused:

I'm double confused. Didn't said hijackers target civilians first (NYC) and military leaders (Pentagon) second?

deadpool980
08-30-2009, 04:54 AM
thats ok gunner i got some weird looks when i was guard ammo for one of my firings from cops and non cops alike since i was just wearing the drop holster and no duty belt and no beret.

imported_BlueDevilRN
08-31-2009, 02:53 AM

Oh man, you haven't LIVED until you've done four years at Altus...we used to drive to Tinker/OKC just for civilization, so that should tell you something...

And now that I'm back in, I'd go AWOL as well. The quickest way to get me out would be to send me back to OK.

imported_BlueDevilRN
08-31-2009, 02:54 AM
Did Tinker when I was but a wee airman and it was great - low cost of living and friendly women. What more does a young airman need? Now, get about five miles outside of OKC and you start hearing the banjo music from Deliverance. :)

The banjo players LIVED in Altus and played at the Rattlesnake Roundup down the road in Mangum. :eek:

AFCARTOONIST
08-31-2009, 06:40 AM
I've seen some folks go a little over the top, but when did it become lame to take pride in your service? If someone's spent 10+ years doing the same job and still enjoys it, is it really wrong to display a token of that?

Also, Tinker may seem bad at first, but do some time at Laughlin AFB and you may be singing a different tune. My entire 3.5 years in Hell Rio were spent praying for orders back to OKC.

JTAC_Sean
08-31-2009, 08:09 AM
Also, Tinker may seem bad at first, but do some time at Laughlin AFB and you may be singing a different tune. My entire 3.5 years in Hell Rio were spent praying for orders back to OKC.

Mr. Dahl??

AFCARTOONIST
08-31-2009, 07:53 PM
Mr. Dahl??

His creator, anyway. :)

BOSS302
05-27-2013, 11:11 AM
Some of the meanest, most anti-US military people I have ever had the misfortune of meeting were some ex-pat English Second Language teachers in Seoul. Their experiences with drunken and foolish US Army people and further experiences with US Army/KNP "town patrol" in the Itaewon area had increased their contempt for all things "US military"...a contempt that was already alive & well.

Absinthe Anecdote
05-27-2013, 12:39 PM
Some of the meanest, most anti-US military people I have ever had the misfortune of meeting were some ex-pat English Second Language teachers in Seoul. Their experiences with drunken and foolish US Army people and further experiences with US Army/KNP "town patrol" in the Itaewon area had increased their contempt for all things "US military"...a contempt that was already alive & well.

This is an interesting post and I’ve experienced virtually the same thing in Seoul and a few places in Japan; however, why did you post this comment in a thread from 2009?

Are the time stamps that messed up?

BOSS302
05-27-2013, 12:58 PM
This is an interesting post and I’ve experienced virtually the same thing in Seoul and a few places in Japan; however, why did you post this comment in a thread from 2009?

Are the time stamps that messed up?

I'm in bed with a nasty stomach virus and have taken to scouring old threads of the MT forums. This one caught my eye. :sick

Absinthe Anecdote
05-27-2013, 01:36 PM
I'm in bed with a nasty stomach virus and have taken to scouring old threads of the MT forums. This one caught my eye. :sick

Okay, that makes since! I hope you feel better soon.

If you have ever been to Okinawa and run into drunken Marines downtown you will know that they are far worse than the Army for bad behavior.

I spent some time in Ft Huachuca, AZ where there is a joint intelligence school. One of the commanders of the Marine student units had supposedly told his troops that if they were in a confrontation downtown and the other person raised their hand above waist level that it should be considered a threat and they should defend themselves.
There was a rash of drunken brawls that were the result of Marines sucker punching Air Force and Army guys.

I’m glad to have the Marines around when war breaks out but they are a complete pain in the ass to put up with when they get a few drinks in them.

Filterbing
05-29-2013, 05:41 PM
So this threed is about how lame it is to brag about service, but how cool it is to brag about not bragging...

JD2780
05-29-2013, 05:51 PM
So this threed is about how lame it is to brag about service, but how cool it is to brag about not bragging...

Stop bragging about your opinion of bragging.

Rainmaker
05-29-2013, 08:49 PM
Stop bragging about your opinion of bragging.

It ain't Braggin' if you done it. NomSayin Romad??

Absinthe Anecdote
05-29-2013, 08:54 PM
It ain't Braggin' if you done it. NomSayin Romad??

I had to look Romad up in the urban dictionary.