PDA

View Full Version : Best Things About The Air Force

takthekak
07-31-2009, 04:22 PM
I was noticing how negative most of the forums area, and yes, I have added to some of the posts. BUT,
I actually love things about the AF as well and I thought if someone was thinking of joining, they may want to get the full picture. So here's some of the best things I think the AF has:

30 days of leave starting from day 1 - what company will give you that?

I have three children and paid almost nothing for it and also Tricare is actually pretty good I think, I always get fast appointments and my family gets free medical care.

100% tuition assistance and a new really good GI Bill which can be transferred to dependents.

1 and 1 dorm rooms with kitchen - I once was in a crappy dorm at 21 years old, doubled up with a 28 year old A1C and we had like a 10x10 square to live it.

Great opportunities to travel, go TDY and deploy if that's your cup of tea.

Make great friends, sometimes for life.

What's some of the other good stuff out there?

Laxman
07-31-2009, 04:48 PM
Employed. Camaraderie...for the most part. And TG its not the Army.

Your_Name_Here
07-31-2009, 04:52 PM
The odds of you being addressed/treated like a person by someone senior in grade (e.g. NCO/ SNCO/O) are far better in the AF than, say, either the Army or the Marine Corps.

Better and more choice/atmosphere/food (for the most part) in AF Dining Halls (non-believers should try eating at an Army DFAC or N/MC Galley in garrison and compare)

imported_Yggdrasil
07-31-2009, 05:01 PM
Better and more choice/atmosphere/food (for the most part) in AF Dining Halls (non-believers should try eating at an Army DFAC or N/MC Galley in garrison and compare)

BS. I'm in the Navy, and the absolute shittiest atmosphere I have ever eaten at was the dining hall on Maxwell AFB.

I've never eaten at an Army DFAC, but I can say most of the ones in the Navy are comparable to the dining hall on Dover AFB (I'm actually from Dover).

Your_Name_Here
07-31-2009, 05:25 PM
BS. I'm in the Navy, and the absolute shittiest atmosphere I have ever eaten at was the dining hall on Maxwell AFB.

I've never eaten at an Army DFAC, but I can say most of the ones in the Navy are comparable to the dining hall on Dover AFB (I'm actually from Dover).

Good for you. I ate at Gitmo's galley, and it wasn't anything to write home about. Maxwell doesn't really count.

I'll stand by my experience; you can stand by yours.

???
07-31-2009, 07:05 PM
- Job security. You don't get a pink slip in the Air Force. Sure they "force shape" every decade or so, but if you are one of the unlucky ones who get let go its not out of the blue. And when force shaping isn't going on the only way you get let go is after some serious screwing up.

Shrike
07-31-2009, 09:11 PM
The opportunity to see parts of the world I probably never would have seen had I not joined the USAF.

fufu
07-31-2009, 10:20 PM
Best things about the AF.

-Blues Monday--hey, it doesn't apply to me.
-We get to blow shit up, indirectly of course.
-I don't deploy to Iraq
-Job security
-Free medical, yes it sucks, but hey its free!
-The pay ain't bad.
-College is free for those that want it.
-We send the officers to war.....ha!

imported_LOAL-D
07-31-2009, 10:38 PM
The fact that I'm going home......NOW....Have a good weekend all!

VFFSSGT
07-31-2009, 10:41 PM
Best things about being the Air Force... :cool: ...

In no particular order...

The 'civilian' perks of being in the military such as greater respect, retail discounts at various places, cheap auto tags, generally little to no utility deposits, etc.

A fairly significant portion of the "pay" is not taxable by any form of income tax.

Free education via tuition assistance and schools that pay for the books for military personnel.

The travel opportunities that arise, when they arise...

30 days of leave per year plus all the additional time off with holidays and family days.

takthekak
07-31-2009, 11:51 PM
Thought of a few more:

VA home loans, I have used 2 and didn't have to actually put down hardly anything.

Being able to retire at 20 years and get 50% of base pay - what company these days would keep you
for 20 years and pay you for the rest of your life?

Depeneding on the base, some MWR programs are great, like Peterson's 40 bucks for the trip to the slopes to ski or snowboard, rentals, lift tickets...Other bases have dinner cruises and such...I have also rented boats for the weekend in NM.

Paying dislocation allowance for the inconvience of PCSing me and my family.

Even though I live off base now, it was nice at times to have very nice base housing - the Academy housing had a fireplace...

FLAPS
08-01-2009, 02:06 AM
- I get to move every 3-4 years. Good for my wife and I because we get tired of being in one place too long
- pay is absolutely awesome (I can finally say this as an O-3E over 20)
- I don't have to worry about what to wear each day to work! :)
- I live in an exclusive gated community (on base) with great security and a free gym membership

technomage1
08-01-2009, 06:25 AM
Responsibility. When I first came in I was put in charge of $1.5 million dollars worth of stuff. It still blows my mind - my friends were flipping burgers, and I had real responsibility and authority.

JTAC_Sean
08-01-2009, 07:58 AM

-Blues Monday--hey, it doesn't apply to me.
-We get to blow shit up, indirectly of course.
-I don't deploy to Iraq
-Job security
-Free medical, yes it sucks, but hey its free!
-The pay ain't bad.
-College is free for those that want it.
-We send the officers to war.....ha!

Wow, you can't get any more REMF than you even if you tried.

I thought this was the "Best Things about the Air Force" thread, not the "I am a REMF who doesn't do my fair share in today's military" thread.

Shrike
08-01-2009, 11:34 AM

I thought this was the "Best Things about the Air Force" thread, not the "I am a REMF who doesn't do my fair share in today's military" thread.

Who are you to judge what anyone's "fair share" is, especially nowadays when we send people to be soldier-boys simply for public relations?

JTAC_Sean
08-01-2009, 01:20 PM
Who are you to judge what anyone's "fair share" is, especially nowadays when we send people to be soldier-boys simply for public relations?

I believe it was right around this part of his post:

-I don't deploy to Iraq

Followed by this part of his post:

-We send the officers to war

Any other questions?

imported_BRAVO10000
08-01-2009, 05:03 PM

Wow. What a perfect example of what is wrong with the AF's current mindset. I hope you don't spout the same nonsense to your Army peers.

Seriously....get over this attitude. Congrats on being a JTAC hero and all, but we don't ALL have to have to be grunts. I don't know what you think the AF-proper's "share" is, but as someone's role requires a solid grip on AF doctrine and proper tactical use of air, I am surprised that you responded this way. Of all career fields, you should know and embrace what the Air Force is designed to do.

DomoreWithless52
08-01-2009, 05:22 PM
For those that have served multiple OIF/OEF tours, when you hear someone almost brag that they haven't deployed or that they don't deploy, whether you like it or not, the perception is going to be that person is a REMF and is not pulling their fair share of "war fighting". I guess an exception would be the guys flying UAVs from Creech...

imported_BRAVO10000
08-01-2009, 05:28 PM
For those that have served multiple OIF/OEF tours, when you hear someone almost brag that they haven't deployed or that they don't deploy, whether you like it or not, the perception is going to be that person is a REMF and is not pulling their fair share of "war fighting". I guess an exception would be the guys flying UAVs from Creech...

Understood - but bigger picture, there are plenty of jobs that aren't done in the forward environment. There are lots of things that happen elsewhere to make things work in theater. Not taking that into account is aprety narrow view of the force.

At least this guy was honest when he was happy to be in a non-deploying job. It's funny to me that people bitch about deployments, and in the same breath criticize those who aren't deploying.

Your_Name_Here
08-01-2009, 05:29 PM

The thing of it is, though, is that the Govt has your role, my role and everyone else's role planned. When, where and against whom are all decided way above our paygrades, so "fair share" is relative. Yes, there are some who do try to scam out of a deployment; there are also many who do everything but handstands, trying to volunteer, but to no avail.

All AFSCs have an important mission, or it would have been merged/eliminated; some simply do not HAVE a tangible mission downrange. That isn't anybody's fault though.

imported_chipotleboy
08-01-2009, 06:41 PM
20 years and never had to deploy.

I actually joined the AF to see the world, and I got sent to Ohio, California, and Florida.

And I stopped feeling guilty about not deploying after I volunteered for cross-training to an operational AFSC (told to forget about it), volunteered for a Korea remote (not selected), and volunteered for an OEF deployment (not selected).

MrMiracle
08-01-2009, 07:12 PM
Food's decent

I don't have to wear a blue vest (or any vest)

No hairnets either.

Not having to deal with picking out an outfit each day.

No screaming kids.

Woodshop for 2-4 bucks an hour.

First job that let me afford a house.

Shrike
08-01-2009, 07:37 PM
I believe it was right around this part of his post:

Followed by this part of his post:

Any other questions?

"-We send the officers to war"

Let's see...the running joke for my entire 21 years of service has been:
Q: How do you know that the USAF has the smartest enlisted of all the services?

A: Because we send our officers to do our fighting for us.

So, I guess in your mind just about everyone in the USAF is not pulling their fair share.

:rolleyes:

JTAC_Sean
08-01-2009, 09:29 PM
"-We send the officers to war"

Let's see...the running joke for my entire 21 years of service has been:
Q: How do you know that the USAF has the smartest enlisted of all the services?

A: Because we send our officers to do our fighting for us.

So, I guess in your mind just about everyone in the USAF is not pulling their fair share.

Wow. 21 years of service and you haven't figured out yet that that's a joke and nothing but?

On my crap little FOB, we have EOD, admin, intel, TACP, maintenance, and CE guys. Air Force guys. All enlisted.

Guess you never really got the whole "joke" thing.

Uh, also genius, people deploy to support the officers flying the aircraft. Or did you think aircraft maintenance, weapon loading, and refueling all happened by magic while downrange? Or did you just think all of THOSE people were officers as well?

I'm gonna guess you lack a clue about deployments. Thanks for your input though!

OldAirDog
08-01-2009, 09:34 PM
The best thing about the Air Force is meeting people from all over the world and let's not forget the revolving uniforms. Gotta love that too! Sorry couldn't resist...

fufu
08-01-2009, 09:40 PM

Chill.

I didn't say I didn't deploy. I just don't deploy to Iraq. I guess working aircraft mx on tankers and bombers isn't "doing my fair share". On a daily basis, we send more officers to the actual fight than the enlisted.

Quit being such a tool.

JTAC_Sean
08-01-2009, 09:45 PM
Chill.

I didn't say I didn't deploy. I just don't deploy to Iraq. I guess working aircraft mx on tankers and bombers isn't "doing my fair share". On a daily basis, we send more officers to the actual fight than the enlisted.

Quit being such a tool.

Not my fault that you can't articulate your point properly.

Go back to grammar school.

fufu
08-01-2009, 09:51 PM
Not my fault that you can't articulate your point properly.

Go back to grammar school.

My point was "I don't deploy to Iraq". I said, "I don't deploy to Iraq". Seems I stated my point quite clearly. Questions?

JTAC_Sean
08-01-2009, 09:53 PM
My point was "I don't deploy to Iraq". I said, "I don't deploy to Iraq". Seems I stated my point quite clearly. Questions?

Followed by "we send officers to the fight." So either you're acknowledging that your "deployments" are really just tax free TDYs or you were you implying that you don't get near the AOR.

fufu
08-01-2009, 10:12 PM
Followed by "we send officers to the fight." So either you're acknowledging that your "deployments" are really just tax free TDYs or you were you implying that you don't get near the AOR.

This might be news to you, but 90% of the AF doesn't get near the real AOR. Most deploy to the Deid, Manas, Diego, Guam, etc. We are the Air Force, we put officers in planes and send them to the fight. If that aircraft gets shot down, their lives are at stake, not mine. So, yes 99% of the AF members "in the fight" are officers.

JTAC_Sean
08-01-2009, 10:19 PM
This might be news to you, but 90% of the AF doesn't get near the real AOR. Most deploy to the Deid, Manas, Diego, Guam, etc. We are the Air Force, we put officers in planes and send them to the fight. If that aircraft gets shot down, their lives are at stake, not mine. So, yes 99% of the AF members "in the fight" are officers.

Wow, that's probably news to all the AF guys on my FOB, everyone at BIAP and Balad and Al Asad, and everyone at Bagram.

Be sure to write all of them and let them know.

fufu
08-02-2009, 12:05 AM
You are right, my numbers are off, it is probably 90%.

Sergeant T
08-02-2009, 12:42 AM
Dude, even when I was deployed to Southern Afghanistan (got to see roughly 8 or 10 FOBs and most of the major bases in AFG except for BAF) the only time I felt in danger was when I was on convoy (though honestly most of the time I was more bored than worried).

Not everyone in the USAF deploys to the forward theater. Most of them don't.

How did a positive thread about the Air Force turn into sniping back and forth about "REMFs" and "Grunts"?

If you are so angry about others not deploying, maybe you need to talk to someone and get some of that anger out of your system.

I respect and applaud everyone who serves, whether they've deployed or not. I heard a statistic about the Army the other day, and something like 1/3 of the AD Army has yet to deploy to Iraq or Afg. That blew my mind. The Air Force not deploying as much seems to make more sense then "every soldier is a soldier" not being the case.

I also know people who have literally been begging their commanders' to deploy only to be told no. Not every "REMF" is one by choice.

So yes, chill.

As for Air Force benefits and plusses -

- The friends I've made over the years
- The opportunities to serve my country
- Getting paid to learn
- The pay and health benefits are really great for the educational and experience levels we require of our new employees
- Great supervisors (not all of them, but the great ones are the ones that ensured that I am still serving)

Silver Fox
08-02-2009, 01:22 AM
Best things about the Air Force:

Saw some foreign countries
Got paid
Secured college benefits
Learned what I don't want to do for a living
Am getting out now

imported_nomad
08-02-2009, 05:52 AM
98% of the people i work with. I would never change the fact that most of the best people I have ever had the privlidge of comming across were my fellow AF brothers and sisters. Sounds corny, but very true.

Shrike
08-02-2009, 06:20 AM
Wow. 21 years of service and you haven't figured out yet that that's a joke and nothing but?

On my crap little FOB, we have EOD, admin, intel, TACP, maintenance, and CE guys. Air Force guys. All enlisted.

Guess you never really got the whole "joke" thing.

Uh, also genius, people deploy to support the officers flying the aircraft. Or did you think aircraft maintenance, weapon loading, and refueling all happened by magic while downrange? Or did you just think all of THOSE people were officers as well?

I'm gonna guess you lack a clue about deployments. Thanks for your input though!

Way to make ass-umptions.

Here's some questions to ask yourself: Why are all those personnel forward deployed like that? Why are those aircraft support personnel forward deployed? Do they need to be?

But if you want to answer those questions here, please start a new thread...we've already hijacked this one enough.

Silver Fox
08-06-2009, 06:28 AM
Understood - but bigger picture, there are plenty of jobs that aren't done in the forward environment.

We're aware of that, and they're important jobs. It's not the fact that he doesn't deploy to Iraq or that other people are having to fight that is bothering JTAC Sean I think, it's the fact that he takes SO MUCH GLEE IN ADVERTISING IT.

It's kind of like saying, "HA HA, SUCKS TO BE YOU! DON'T DIE! K, THANKS BYE!"

JTAC_Sean
08-06-2009, 06:59 AM
that is bothering JTAC Sean I think, it's the fact that he takes SO MUCH GLEE IN ADVERTISING IT.

It's kind of like saying, "HA HA, SUCKS TO BE YOU! DON'T DIE! K, THANKS BYE!"

Ex-fucking-actly.

I'm glad someone else sees it and gets it.

Silver Fox
08-06-2009, 07:01 AM
Ex-fucking-actly.

I'm glad someone else sees it and gets it.

I'm just a Mighty Morphin' Tower Ranger, but I got your back buddy. :D

Sure, do your job at your desk back stateside, no one is knocking anyone for doing that. But don't laugh and joke about all the people who are getting killed while you do said job.

FCMVP#30
08-06-2009, 12:15 PM
We're not the Army.... Well, at least we didn't used to try and be the Army.

Winters02
08-06-2009, 02:10 PM
-- Free college tuition assist./expedited college classes and CLEPS! (Nothing beats getting a four year degree in 2-3 years, then using the GI Bill for a Masters!)
-- Travel around the world for free
-- In some cases, living in USAF dorms is way better than college dorms
-- It's a fact: we have the best looking women
-- Never really having to worry about what you'll wear to work (unless you're an ironing freak)
-- Constant/steady pay - job security
-- You'll make the best friends you'll ever have
-- Cheaper food, haircuts, military discounts, ect

Good times :)

h0vit0
08-06-2009, 02:34 PM
I'm getting paid right now to be on this forum.

ConfusedAirman
08-06-2009, 04:40 PM
I'm getting paid right now to be on this forum.

:)

How about this one - If you don't like the way things are, just sit back and wait because the Air Force will change it.

Oh crap - I forgot that is also one of the worst things about the Air Force. If you like the way things are, just sit back and wait because the Air Force will change it. Nevermind.:(

BigBaze
08-06-2009, 04:41 PM
The cookies at Al Dhafra:)

ringjamesa
08-06-2009, 05:57 PM
I would say the people. I still keep in touch with at least one person from each of my assignments. After 15 years and 6 assignments, that's saying something.

ProGlfer88
08-06-2009, 06:41 PM
Free Airfare to and from warzones!!!

procrastination
08-07-2009, 03:02 AM
-- Free college tuition assist./expedited college classes and CLEPS! (Nothing beats getting a four year degree in 2-3 years, then using the GI Bill for a Masters!)
-- Travel around the world for free
-- In some cases, living in USAF dorms is way better than college dorms
-- It's a fact: we have the best looking women
-- Never really having to worry about what you'll wear to work (unless you're an ironing freak)
-- Constant/steady pay - job security
-- You'll make the best friends you'll ever have
-- Cheaper food, haircuts, military discounts, ect

Good times :)

Fantastic list bro.

The absolute best - very best - is the friendships made while serving in the military. There is no sense of comradery like the kind you will find in the military. My father-in-law still talks to people he was in the service with after being out for almost 50 years. INCREDIBLE.

imported_LOAL-D
08-07-2009, 03:51 AM
:)

How about this one - If you don't like the way things are, just sit back and wait because the Air Force will change it.

Oh crap - I forgot that is also one of the worst things about the Air Force. If you like the way things are, just sit back and wait because the Air Force will change it. Nevermind.:(

and then change it back to the way it used to be.......

sandsjames
05-20-2013, 02:59 PM
Best thing about the Air Force? Only 35 days left!

Tak
05-20-2013, 03:05 PM
Don't be fooled by these old crusty folks who appear disgruntled.
Ask any of us and we love the AF. Spent most of our lives in it,
In my case raised 20 years in it, then served 20 in it.

Don't let us dissuade you, we are just trying to impart wisdom, by
Pointing out 2% bad, but trust me, 98% is good.
I would do it all again!
I love the Air Force!!!

Tak
05-20-2013, 03:07 PM
Best thing about the Air Force? Only 35 days left!

Very happy for you.
You earned it, so enjoy it.

Tak
05-20-2013, 03:16 PM
I talk to and still have facebook contact with like 20 people I worked
With over 20 years ago...at my first base.
I'm friends with a guy I sponsored in, still...

sandsjames
05-20-2013, 03:17 PM
I talk to and still have facebook contact with like 20 people I worked
With over 20 years ago...at my first base.
I'm friends with a guy I sponsored in, still...

There are 3 or 4 people that I still keep in touch with regularly since I've joined. I think that's a pretty good number of actual friends to amass throughout a career.

Shaken1976
05-20-2013, 03:47 PM
Today I enrolled my daughter in the base school. I have found that they have far more available to them than the off base schools. Each kid is issued an iPad. All work is done on the iPad.

RobotChicken
08-23-2013, 02:36 AM
:spy SHORE DUTY on A** F**** Base!!.

Dis_Grunt_Led
08-23-2013, 02:46 AM
Best thing about the Air Force? Hmmm... Comic relief for the other branches.

Bunch
08-23-2013, 04:32 AM
Best thing about the Air Force? Hmmm... Comic relief for the other branches.

Don't know much about that...

I meet a lot of people that serve in other branches and when the topic of how each chose service branches comes up what I usually hear from the other person "I wanted to join the Air Force but [insert your laughable excuse here]"... that's truly comic relief for me.

Rusty Jones
08-23-2013, 12:58 PM

I meet a lot of people that serve in other branches and when the topic of how each chose service branches comes up what I usually here from the other person "I wanted to join the Air Force but [insert your laughable excuse here]"... that's truly comic relief for me.

You must be around a lot of Army, maybe Marines; because most Sailors are generally content with the Navy. The very few - the very few - who claim that they were going to join another service, or "would have but," were going to join the Marine Corps.

Sea duty in the blue water Navy can be a drag sometimes, but in terms of quality of life, I've yet to hear one Sailor complain about it.

I was stationed on an Army post for three years; and I know that it's a totally different story for Soldiers...

20+Years
08-23-2013, 01:03 PM
I have met tons of people, usually seperated and now GS or contractors say, "I didn't qualify for the Air Force so I joined the _____"

BENDER56
08-23-2013, 04:00 PM
My last four years were at a training site. I got to inbrief all the new arrivals from BMT and I'd use some of that time to reinforce their decision to join the AF. (Y'know, to get some buy-in ... blue them up a little more.) Anyway, I'd ask if anyone had any close family members who were in other branches of the military. Then I'd ask what advice they got from those people when they told them they were thinking of joining the military. With few exceptions they said they were advised by them to join the Air Force.

Dis_Grunt_Led
08-23-2013, 05:34 PM

I meet a lot of people that serve in other branches and when the topic of how each chose service branches comes up what I usually hear from the other person "I wanted to join the Air Force but [insert your laughable excuse here]"... that's truly comic relief for me.

Interesting, but I've never heard that before. I've heard, "I wanted to join the Marines but..." and I've heard, "I wanted to go Special Forces but..." and I've heard, "I was going to be a SEAL but..." I'm not arguing against the AF being a good thing at all. It's just like being in the military but [insert your laughable excuse here].

Pullinteeth
08-23-2013, 05:44 PM
Interesting, but I've never heard that before. I've heard, "I wanted to join the Marines but..." and I've heard, "I wanted to go Special Forces but..." and I've heard, "I was going to be a SEAL but..." I'm not arguing against the AF being a good thing at all. It's just like being in the military but [insert your laughable excuse here].

You should be an AF Recruiter sometime....you will hear it on an almost daily basis. The ONLY ones I don't hear it from much are Coasties.

imported_chipotleboy
08-23-2013, 06:38 PM
I have met tons of people, usually seperated and now GS or contractors say, "I didn't qualify for the Air Force so I joined the _____"

In my case, I failed the Navy physical so I went Air Force. I've also heard it from one other guy. He was in his last term at Annapolis when they were trying to get more volunteers for flight school. So he volunteered, took the physical, and was told a couple weeks before commissioning that he wasn't qualified to serve not only as a naval aviator, but also as a Navy Line officer. His only choices were restricted Line or cross commission into the Air Force, so he went into the Air Force.

Not to knock the Navy, because I think I would have enjoyed the experience, but I was better off in the long run going Air Force.

Bunch
08-23-2013, 06:47 PM
You should be an AF Recruiter sometime....you will hear it on an almost daily basis. The ONLY ones I don't hear it from much are Coasties.

I'm a recruiter and I can't recall one of my applicants stating that in my years of enlisted or officer recruiter. Maybe is my location(s) who knows.

Rusty Jones
08-23-2013, 07:05 PM
In my case, I failed the Navy physical so I went Air Force. I've also heard it from one other guy. He was in his last term at Annapolis when they were trying to get more volunteers for flight school. So he volunteered, took the physical, and was told a couple weeks before commissioning that he wasn't qualified to serve not only as a naval aviator, but also as a Navy Line officer. His only choices were restricted Line or cross commission into the Air Force, so he went into the Air Force.

Not to knock the Navy, because I think I would have enjoyed the experience, but I was better off in the long run going Air Force.

If I could do it all over again, I still would have went Navy. Mostly because the Marine Corps and Air Force don't let you outright choose your AFSC/MOS upon enlisting. You pick the ones you want, and you get a letter in the mail telling you which one your getting - and it may not even be any that you picked.

Navy, Coast Guard, and Army allow you to choose your rating/MOS upon enlisting; but the Coast Guard ratings are more "broad" than the Navy's and less specialized - for example, Yeoman is the only admin rating in the Coast Guard, where the Navy has five or six. The Army... well, the quality of life sucks; though I do imagine the quality of the work environment may not be so bad - probably comparable to the Air Force's.

IF all services allowed you to choose your job upon enlisting, I would have gone into the Marine Corps if I could do it all over again. No matter which service I would have joined with what I know now, I would still only do one term.

20+Years
08-23-2013, 07:10 PM
Only way I would have went Navy was if they had a MOS for fishing. That right there would have sealed the deal.

Pullinteeth
08-23-2013, 07:15 PM
I'm a recruiter and I can't recall one of my applicants stating that in my years of enlisted or officer recruiter. Maybe is my location(s) who knows.

You are also an ADAF recruiter.... You don't spend a whole lot of time with a whole lot of PS applicants....

If I could do it all over again, I still would have went Navy. Mostly because the Marine Corps and Air Force don't let you outright choose your AFSC/MOS upon enlisting. You pick the ones you want, and you get a letter in the mail telling you which one your getting - and it may not even be any that you picked.

Where do you get this shit?

Joe? Is that you?

Greg
08-23-2013, 07:20 PM
Only way I would have went Navy was if they had a MOS for fishing. That right there would have sealed the deal.

They do, it's called rescue swimmer.

Class5Kayaker
08-23-2013, 07:36 PM

Not to knock the Navy, because I think I would have enjoyed the experience, but I was better off in the long run going Air Force. He didn't become a pilot in the AF, did he? I heard that for flying, the Navy medical restrictions were actually a little less stringent than the AF as far as waiverable conditions (especially eyesight)

Greg
08-23-2013, 07:53 PM
He didn't become a pilot in the AF, did he? I heard that for flying, the Navy medical restrictions were actually a little less stringent than the AF as far as waiverable conditions (especially eyesight)

Eyesight? Really? So one wouldn't need acute depth perception to land on a rolling, pitching deck of an aircraft carrier? At night? In squalling weather conditions?

C'mon man, put on your thinking cap. You AF guys are too much!

Rusty Jones
08-23-2013, 07:57 PM
You are also an ADAF recruiter.... You don't spend a whole lot of time with a whole lot of PS applicants....

Where do you get this shit?

Joe? Is that you?

I did three years at the MEPS in San Antonio, working for Navy recruiting. I saw how that worked. We actually got a few people who attrited from Air Force DEP, because they ended up getting an AFSC they didn't want. Mostly security forces.

On the flip side of the coin, the Air Force seems to be able to do that... because many people are willing to take anything to get into the Air Force.

Class5Kayaker
08-23-2013, 08:16 PM
Eyesight? Really? So one wouldn't need acute depth perception to land on a rolling, pitching deck of an aircraft carrier? At night? In squalling weather conditions?

C'mon man, put on your thinking cap. You AF guys are too much!

No seriously.....My kid brother wanted to be a pilot. He met Annapolis requirements on vision (correctable) and not the AF Academy. I think it was because the AF didn't allow you to meet their standards with corrections (glasses, contacts, etc) needed, whereas the Navy did. This was back in the early 90's and it could have changed since then. Both services allow folks with vision corrected by LASIK and PRK to be pilots these days, but I know just a few years ago the AF prohibied it, whereas the Navy allowed it.

side note: My brother decided the Navy wasn't for him and ended up going to USAFA and became a human factors engineer.

Rusty Jones
08-23-2013, 08:34 PM
Are you saying the Navy gives you what you want automatically...even if they don't have openings? Can you just say to the navy, okay, I want to be an Electronics Tech, so enlist me...and they can't be like, "oh, no openings for that right now"?

I was a classifier at the MEPS. What happened was that as soon as the applicant was done with the physical and everything, my desk was the final stop before going over to swear in. Based on what they're qualified for and what's available, they get to choose from among them. Whatever they choose gets put on the annex to their contract, and they go over to swear in. While they're in DEP, they can be reclassified at their request if something else becomes available or if they want to ship out sooner. In which case, the contract annex will be replaced.

Class5Kayaker
08-23-2013, 08:44 PM
I came in the AF with a guaranteed job...but, yeah, I filled out a form with like 5 choices and waited a week or so and it came back with one. Then I could either take that or not without any obligation. I think they still do that.

Are you saying the Navy gives you what you want automatically...even if they don't have openings? Can you just say to the navy, okay, I want to be an Electronics Tech, so enlist me...and they can't be like, "oh, no openings for that right now"?

If I could do it all over again, I would take a look at Coast Guard...as it was, I only considered Navy and Air Force...but the CG seems like it might be really cool. I prefer boats to planes...I just didn't think long sea deployments would make for a good lifestyle over 20 years. I didn't really join with the intent on doing 20 years, but I didn't want to rule it out either. I think I would've liked CG duty.

AF still does it the way you describe. My daughter just went through this (she's at Tech School now). I think the other services are the same way and Rusty might be under the impresion AF folks can't request AFSCs and walk away if the one(s) they want aren't offered to them. Granted, when they graduate Basic, the AF can still yank the rug out from under them and change their AFSC. I think they have to give you the option to bail, but they always do it right at the end of Basic and what troop wants to go home after going through 8 weeks of (what they consider to be) hell for nothing?

Edit....I was away for a while before finishing my post and didn't see Rusty's post. Looks like the two services are basically the same, just that the Navy classifies right at MEPS after they pass their physical, etc. whereas the AF will let someone stay in DEP for a year waiting for their choice to become available (which is a better option if you ask me, because if your desired AFSC isn't available right when you finish at MEPS you still ahve a chance to get your desired job a little farther down the road so long as you're willing to wait).

Rusty Jones
08-23-2013, 08:53 PM
Edit....I was away for a while before finishing my post and didn't see Rusty's post. Looks like the two services are basically the same, just that the Navy classifies right at MEPS after they pass their physical, etc. whereas the AF will let someone stay in DEP for a year waiting for their choice to become available (which is a better option if you ask me, because if your desired AFSC isn't available right when you finish at MEPS you still ahve a chance to get your desired job a little farther down the road so long as you're willing to wait).

You can do that in the Navy as well. The difference is that you will always have something guaranteed on your contract while you're DEP, and you can switch at any time. The ONLY time someone will ever have the rug pulled from underneath them in the Navy, is if they're found out to not qualify for the job they chose while still qualifying to be in the Navy - for example, someone ships out with Hospital Corpsman on their contract after only a week in DEP and had experiment with marijuana when they didn't disclose it, when they could have and got the waiver. It comes up while they're in boot camp, and they end up getting reclassified or simply being sent to the Fleet undesignated.