PDA

View Full Version : AFSOC airman arrested for Florida murders

ConfusedAirman
07-15-2009, 01:00 AM
An AFSOC airman, SSgt Donnie Ray Stallworth, with an Air Force maintenance squadron at Hurlburt Field, was arrested along with 6 others for the murders of a wealthy Florida Panhandle couple known for adopting children with special needs.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31903985/ns/us_news-crime_and_courts/

BRUWIN
07-15-2009, 04:24 AM
Why do I feel a "Home Invasion Sensitivity" CBT is in our future?

CrustySMSgt
07-15-2009, 05:56 AM
Damn, hadn't heard that part of the story yet... who's gonna be the one to email him and ask WTF he was thinking... ASSUMING he is gulty of course... lol

BENDER56
07-15-2009, 03:48 PM
The Pensacola News Journal said he was "assigned to an elite special operations unit". Not if he's in AMXS he ain't (nothing against you maintainers.)

Also, Escambia County Sheriff David Morgan is a former AF Security Forces officer and I think he was prior-enlisted, too.

imported_Multitasker
07-15-2009, 04:37 PM
Since he did this to a civilian couple off base, will the civilian courts have at him first or will he get tried under the UCMJ first?

ConfusedAirman
07-15-2009, 05:41 PM
Since he did this to a civilian couple off base, will the civilian courts have at him first or will he get tried under the UCMJ first?

Civilian courts have him. IF involved, hope he is found guilty, and then hope he fries.

Gunner007
07-15-2009, 08:46 PM
Perfect example of why its the inherent responsibility of each and every person to protect themselves and not rely on the police to do it for you! Sick deranged people arent going to send you an email telling you when and where they are going to rob or kill you! The article says they were in and out in under 10 minutes, i doubt the police response time would have beat that anyway!

Shrike
07-16-2009, 05:50 AM
The most important question has yet to be asked: Where was this young NCO's Wingman?

;)

Shrike
07-16-2009, 05:56 AM
The Pensacola News Journal said he was "assigned to an elite special operations unit". Not if he's in AMXS he ain't (nothing against you maintainers.)

Also, Escambia County Sheriff David Morgan is a former AF Security Forces officer and I think he was prior-enlisted, too.

Each of the articles/broadcasts I've seen on this make it seem as if he's a Green Beret or something by how they mention him being in "special ops". I guess it's more newsworthy - and paints the military in a more sinister light - than just saying "he worked on helicopters" or "he was POL.'

Measure Man
07-16-2009, 03:19 PM
The most important question has yet to be asked: Where was this young NCO's Wingman?

;)

LOL...

What we need is a squadron recall...to remind everyone that Armed Robbery and Murder are not "cool"

Shrike
07-16-2009, 04:34 PM
LOL...

What we need is a squadron recall...to remind everyone that Armed Robbery and Murder are not "cool"

If you're thinking of doing it, call AAAR (Airmen Against Armed Robbery) and they'll come get you.

I wonder if AFSOC will lose a goal day because of this. "Well, we met all of our EPR/OPR/Dec suspenses, our sortie rates were above our goal, had zero safety incidents, and zero DUIs, so that's good. Oh no, lookee that...our premeditated armed robbery and murder stats are higher than I'd like to see. So instead of our goal day, we'll have a Wingman Day to dicuss this."

BENDER56
07-16-2009, 04:59 PM
I wonder if AFSOC will lose a goal day because of this. "Well, we met all of our EPR/OPR/Dec suspenses, our sortie rates were above our goal, had zero safety incidents, and zero DUIs, so that's good. Oh no, lookee that...our premeditated armed robbery and murder stats are higher than I'd like to see. So instead of our goal day, we'll have a Wingman Day to dicuss this."

Not if we're compared to the Army. I just read that 14 soldiers from Ft Carson committed or were charged with murder in the last three years.

imported_oih82w8
07-16-2009, 05:52 PM
If you're thinking of doing it, call AAAR (Airmen Against Armed Robbery) and they'll come get you.

When I was stationed at Hurlburt Field (92-01), you would not too far off from being right. We had dumber situations to dictate a "wingman day".

Shaken1976
07-16-2009, 08:03 PM

;)

His wingman was playing lookout but fell asleep with some launch codes in his posession.

BRUWIN
07-16-2009, 08:05 PM
Oh no, lookee that...our premeditated armed robbery and murder stats are higher than I'd like to see. So instead of our goal day, we'll have a Wingman Day to dicuss this."

That was freakin halarious!

civie-select
07-17-2009, 02:58 AM
LOL...

Ha! You mean an AF wide accountability recall to ensure that we're all where we're supposed to be and not out committing federal crimes or murder.

Pullinteeth
11-05-2010, 07:24 PM
Anyone know when his trial is set to start? The "ringleader" just got the death penalty... They have them all on video so one would think now the other six murder trials (two already pled guilty to avoid the death penalty andthe woman is just charged as an accessory after the fact) should go pretty quickly . I am pretty glad that NW FL is pretty conservative and doesn't seem to shirk using the death penalty in cases like this.
At least the AF remembered to shut off his pay while he is sitting in jail.

Enigmatic Airman
11-05-2010, 08:10 PM
He wont be punished if he got a 90 on his last PT test...

Airborne
11-05-2010, 08:15 PM
Like I said in another thread, special ops has become way watered down in the air force. Everyone and everything at Hurlburt is now considered special ops.

imported_oih82w8
11-05-2010, 08:28 PM
Like I said in another thread, special ops has become way watered down in the air force. Everyone and everything at Hurlburt is now considered special ops.

Special Ops cooks? Special Ops finance? Special Ops dorm managers?

When I was Hurlburt, I did not think that we (maintainers) did anything special. It was just "different" weapon systems to me.

SailorDave
11-05-2010, 08:47 PM

;)

He wont be punished if he got a 90 on his last PT test...
None of you asked the real question....was he wearing his reflective belt ??

Airborne
11-05-2010, 09:00 PM
Special Ops cooks? Special Ops finance? Special Ops dorm managers?

When I was Hurlburt, I did not think that we (maintainers) did anything special. It was just "different" weapon systems to me.

Yes, but were you assigned to the special operations aircraft maintenance squadron? or just MXS?

Mowgli
11-05-2010, 10:44 PM

everyone @ hurby walks around with they're chest bowed out calling themselves "Air Commandos". Small percentage of nonposers, the rest of em just make AFSOC look bad. Hopefully this sends home the need for destinction on that base

BRUWIN
11-07-2010, 12:56 AM
everyone @ hurby walks around with they're chest bowed out calling themselves "Air Commandos". Small percentage of nonposers, the rest of em just make AFSOC look bad. Hopefully this sends home the need for destinction on that base

Why are you hatin on Hurlburt? They now have a sign at the Hurlburt gate that reads "It's been 20 months since our last accessory to murder indictment."

Mowgli
11-07-2010, 03:59 AM
Another that reads " ___months since some tool lied about their job in a weak attempt to get laid"

BRUWIN
11-07-2010, 04:03 AM
Another that reads " ___months since some tool lied about their job in a weak attempt to get laid"

What's up with all the AFSOC haters???

Mowgli
11-07-2010, 04:24 AM
Not hating on AFSOC just the Hurby "air commandos" who make us look bad

Shrike
11-07-2010, 01:30 PM
Another that reads " ___minutes since some tool lied about their job in a weak attempt to get laid"

Corrected that for you. :)

TJMAC77SP
11-07-2010, 05:22 PM
You mean the Air Commando tab is not for real ?!?!

Mowgli
11-07-2010, 05:31 PM
If someone flashes you one just know your probably talking to a SOSF/CAA type

Airborne
11-08-2010, 04:09 AM
What's up with all the AFSOC haters???

It's not at all hating on AFSOC, its hating on those that exploit it. That goes for everyone who somehow tries to work spec ops or SOF into their EPR/OPR/resumes when they work at FSS or similar and those who think theyre special ops just because their stationed at Hurlburt (or Cannon for that matter) and the only thing they know about gunships they learned on call of duty. But then again you have the senior leadership cheerleaders just like any other base. If you are stationed at Dover Im sure you get C-5s and world wide mobility shoved up your ass ad nauseum, etc...

Mowgli
11-08-2010, 04:47 AM
Going through ALS @ hurby was an eye opener as how they (base leadership) were convincing everyone they were "special". A real slap in the face to all the true battle field airman out there. Sorry, I'm done ranting about this

Pullinteeth
11-08-2010, 12:49 PM

I thought that was kind of odd when AFSOC took over Cannon. Everthing was Special Operations this, Special Operations that. You don't see the XXnd Fighter Medical Group, or the XXrd Mobility dining facility.... Odd...

Pullinteeth
11-15-2010, 08:52 PM
It looks like they are seeking the death penalty against him;
Florida State Attorney Bill Eddins says the State plans to seek the death penalty against Leonard Gonzalez, Jr., Wayne Coldiron, Donnie Stallworth, and Frederick Thornton, Jr. in connection the murders of Byrd and Melanie Billings.
This is old and the pre-trial was scheduled for July but I can't find anything else on his trial...

BRUWIN
11-17-2010, 05:45 AM
Going through ALS @ hurby was an eye opener as how they (base leadership) were convincing everyone they were "special". A real slap in the face to all the true battle field airman out there. Sorry, I'm done ranting about this

So what do you consider "true battlefield Airmen?" I think I know what you are trying to say but any Airman can find theselves on the battlefield these days. The battlefield is not as defined as it once was. Maybe you're talking about a "battlefield AFSC." In which case...Hurlburt would seem to have the monopoly on those positions.

I don't think for a minute that those Airmen at Hurlburt in traditional AFSCs think they are any more special than any other regular Airman outside of AFSOC. Everybody I've met from there seems pretty level headed about it. Sometimes they can get pretty amped up about thier mission in support of special ops, it get be a pretty cool one depending on the AFSC. But like I said...I've never met anybody from there that claimed to be something they weren't. And yes, sometimes leadership there overdoes things because being operators themselves, they are simply trying to bring others into the fold so they are all one team. If you ask me...that's what makes special ops particularly special. You can't really fault leadership for trying to put together one team, despite the wide job differences of operators and those in the supporting AFSCs.

Look at it like this...even the trainer on the NHL's Stanley Cup winning team can get his name engraved on the Stanley Cup trophy. That's pretty cool when you think about it and it is similiar to Hurlburt's leadership take on their mission. In Hurlburt's case, Leadership realizes it takes a collective effort for the mission to be accomplished so they apply the "Air Commando" tag to all those that have a stake in the Hurlburt mission...not just the operators. If you are in a battlefield AFSC don't take it personal. Embrace it because as far as Hurlburt leadership is concerned the mission won't succeed any other way.

Mowgli
11-17-2010, 06:07 AM
So what do you consider "true battlefield Airmen?" I think I know what you are trying to say but any Airman can find theselves on the battlefield these days. The battlefield is not as defined as it once was. Maybe you're talking about a "battlefield AFSC." In which case...Hurlburt would seem to have the monopoly on those positions.

I don't think for a minute that those Airmen at Hurlburt outside of battlefield AFSCs think they are any more special than any other regular Airman outside of AFSOC. Everybody I've met from there seems pretty level headed about it. Sometimes they can get pretty amped up about thier mission in support of special ops, it get be a pretty cool one depending on the AFSC. But like I said...I've never met anybody from there that claimed to be something they weren't. And sometimes leadership overdoes things because being operators themselves, they are simply trying to bring others into the fold so they are all one team. If you ask me...that's what makes special ops particularly special. You can't really fault leadership for trying to put together one team, despite the wide differences in AFSCs.

the AF dubbed certain airman falling under select AFSC's as "battlefield airman". It's corny and lame but that falls in line with most things. BA's get issued certain gear and even have their own clinic @ Hurby... Battlefield Airmans clinic. It's used by battle field airman only. I've meet plenty of dudes down there with big claims and the gym is littered with black'n tans; definitley not an official pt uniform. In ALS they beat the whole "air commandos" thing to death, although I do understand alot of it is leadership driven.

ConfusedAirman
11-17-2010, 12:48 PM
My take on a "true Battlefield Airman" is one whose peacetime job is to train and prepare to operate ON the batttlefield. (PJs, TACP, etc.) Simply being assigned to Special Ops Command does not make you one. The chance of being on the battlefield (e.g. Supply/Trans troops driving in convoys) doesn't qualify either.

Mowgli
11-17-2010, 01:11 PM
Confused, on the flip side there are many BA's who fall under different commands. Either you are or you aren't, no in betweens or opinions about it

BRUWIN
11-17-2010, 02:05 PM
Simply being assigned to Special Ops Command does not make you one. The chance of being on the battlefield (e.g. Supply/Trans troops driving in convoys) doesn't qualify either.

I never said those things qualified anybody as a battlefield Airman or special ops guy. I'm specifically referring to the Air Commando designation being applied to those traditional AFSCs as well as the operators at Hurlburt. It is similiar to those at Kunsan being considered part of the "Wolfpack." Non-flyers are considered as much of a part of the Wolfpack as flyers and nobody has a problem with that. So why does everybody get their undies in a bunch over the "Air Commandos" designation being applied to all those Airmen at Hurlburt?

Mowgli
11-17-2010, 02:30 PM
It's the bar side "commando" who uses this mantra in an attempt to look cool or get laid. It's a misrepresentaion that makes those affiliated, all look like turds. It's loosely used and abused like "operator". Anyone who uses this terms to describe themselves to you, smile and walk away

Pullinteeth
11-22-2010, 03:10 PM
His trial is set for Feb according to the Pensacola News Journal;

Donnie Stallworth, 29, a former staff sergeant with the U.S. Air Force, is set for trial Feb. 28 on two counts of first-degree murder and home invasion. The state will seek the death penalty.

MajGenDude
11-23-2010, 06:56 AM
Civilian courts have him. IF involved, hope he is found guilty, and then hope he fries.

Or worse yet, send him to Cannon.

BRUWIN
06-24-2013, 04:30 PM
He won Hurlburt's Christmas light competition one year..no lie. I'm not sure a AF Christmas light competition winner has ever fallen that far. I wonder if the AF has career stats on Christmas light competition winners through the years.

Pullinteeth
06-24-2013, 04:35 PM
FYI, he got two consecutive life sentences (and a 30 year sentence for home invasion). Dude had 10 years in....

http://blog.al.com/live/2011/07/donnie_stallword_convicted_of.html

VFFTSGT
06-24-2013, 11:06 PM
FYI, he got two consecutive life sentences (and a 30 year sentence for home invasion). Dude had 10 years in....

http://blog.al.com/live/2011/07/donnie_stallword_convicted_of.html

A 30-year sentence for home invasion will run concurrent to the life sentences.

What is the point of this? 30 years for home invasion seems kind of harsh in the first place. Granted it was tied to the murders but still... Anyways, what's the point of a "30 Year Sentence" when you have 2 life sentences and for it to run "concurrently," really makes it meaningless.

I would be curious as to what was the motive... A random burglary for a 10 year vet seems odd. Was this the first time he did something like this? I would guess not. Also wonder if he got firewall 5's... And if there were past behavioral issues like there were with Hasan and no one addressed them. Not trying to blame someone else just wonder what drove this guy and where his "wingmen" short changed him.

Juggs
06-24-2013, 11:41 PM
What is the point of this? 30 years for home invasion seems kind of harsh in the first place. Granted it was tied to the murders but still... Anyways, what's the point of a "30 Year Sentence" when you have 2 life sentences and for it to run "concurrently," really makes it meaningless.

I would be curious as to what was the motive... A random burglary for a 10 year vet seems odd. Was this the first time he did something like this? I would guess not. Also wonder if he got firewall 5's... And if there were past behavioral issues like there were with Hasan and no one addressed them. Not trying to blame someone else just wonder what drove this guy and where his "wingmen" short changed him.

I'm wondering what his PT scores were.

Pullinteeth
06-25-2013, 02:44 PM

"Initially, police believed that the invasion was a robbery gone awry. It was believed that suspects thought the Billings kept money in a safe. Though the safe taken was recovered from Wiggins' backyard, it didn't contain any money, just adoption papers, heirloom jewelry, prescription medications. It was theorized that another safe might have existed and contained money.

Lonnie Smith, a friend of Gonzalez Jr., told investigators that Gonzalez had approached him three weeks before the murders and had asked him to participate in a "security job." He said that Gonzalez had told him about a safe, telling the WKGR News Channel 5 station that Gonzalez had said he thought a "couple million dollars" was in the safe.

Police later learned that there was indeed a second safe in the home, one the suspects didn't find or didn't know existed. However, the second safe didn't contain millions and millions of dollars: it held $164,000, legal documents, a sealed hard drive, and antique jewelry. Not exactly the kind of loot the suspects seemed to expect. The robbery was looking less like the work of James Bond and more like that of Inspector Clouseau."

http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/notorious_murders/classics/byrd_and_melanie_billings/10.html

I'm wondering what his PT scores were.

He looked a bit chunky but maybe prison food is just that good...

BRUWIN
06-25-2013, 07:27 PM
Not trying to blame someone else just wonder what drove this guy and where his "wingmen" short changed him.

I was at Hurlburt when his happened. We had annual "Murder Reduction Awareness Training" as a result. We reduced our murder conviction rate by 100% in the very first year.

Dickie
06-25-2013, 08:03 PM
Each of the articles/broadcasts I've seen on this make it seem as if he's a Green Beret or something by how they mention him being in "special ops". I guess it's more newsworthy - and paints the military in a more sinister light - than just saying "he worked on helicopters" or "he was POL.'

Agreed, "elite special operations unit". How elite was it in an MXS? I'm sorry an SOMXS. Support career fields it is happenstance to be assigned to them. After Commando Look went away they take almost anyone now. Just fluff for the mass media and chuckleheads who don't know better.

BRUWIN
06-25-2013, 08:06 PM
Agreed, "elite special operations unit". How elite was it in an MXS? I'm sorry an SOMXS. Support career fields it is happenstance to be assigned to them. After Commando Look went away they take almost anyone now. Just fluff for the mass media and chuckleheads who don't know better.

Actually, AFSOC Airmen are highly trained in special operations warfare regardless of AFSC. Don't be a hater hater.

SomeRandomGuy
06-25-2013, 08:13 PM
He looked a bit chunky but maybe prison food is just that good...

Prison food is that good. This guy did a 20 year sentenced for murder and left prison weighing 550 pounds. He killed someone else a few months later. He has since died in jail probably froma heart attack.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/news/police-find-suv-believed-connected-to-homicide/nWZWZ/

Dickie
06-26-2013, 06:10 PM
Actually, AFSOC Airmen are highly trained in special operations warfare regardless of AFSC. Don't be a hater hater.

I was myself for a few years and on the whole I agree with you. There are exceptions at least when I was in the LS/AFE career field. It always seemed like the dice were rolled and got who we got. Regardless of weapon system experience, (none at all/pipeliners) or SEIs needed. I think our AFSC merger had a lot to do with that. In life support it was a big training issue that never really was addressed. At one base you worked F-15s, the next base work special mission aircraft and after that maybe bombers or something. Not to say that eventually with time you can and do train people to that higher AFSOC level, in a 3 person shop where 2 of us were TDY all the time it was rough. Some people don't "get it", the Air Commando mentality.

BENDER56
06-27-2013, 04:47 PM

Overcharging is a common tactic used by prosecutors in the American criminal system. Witness the 329(!) charges leveled against the Cleveland kidnapper/rapist. Can you imagine sitting through the reading of all those verdicts? "On charge number 108, we, the jury, find the defendant ..."

wxjumper
06-28-2013, 03:06 PM
Overcharging is a common tactic used by prosecutors in the American criminal system. Witness the 329(!) charges leveled against the Cleveland kidnapper/rapist. Can you imagine sitting through the reading of all those verdicts? "On charge number 108, we, the jury, find the defendant ..."

But that is how many times, at least, over the years he held that women captive that he broke the law. Or do you think, despite raping her many times, he should be only charged once? Or a serial bank robber be only charged for one robbery? Or a mass murder should only be charged with one murder?

wxjumper
06-28-2013, 03:06 PM

But that is how many times, at least, over the years he held that women captive that he broke the law. Or do you think, despite raping her many times, he should be only charged once? Or a serial bank robber be only charged for one robbery? Or a mass murder should only be charged with one murder?

wxjumper
06-28-2013, 03:17 PM
I would be curious as to what was the motive... A random burglary for a 10 year vet seems odd.

$2 million dollars, but they got bad information. And I think a few people that went along on this did not expect anyone to be murdered.

BENDER56
06-28-2013, 08:32 PM

Explain to me where, exactly, I said that the only two options were a gabrillion charges or just one charge.
Didn't say that. Why would you assume that?

Yes, people who commit multiple crimes should be held accountable for them, however, the current trend among DAs and prosecutors is to pile on every charge remotely imaginable to cow defendants into accepting plea bargains. Here's someone else explaining it:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/02/15/win-at-all-costs-suicide-computer-whiz-prompts-look-at-federal-prosecutors/