PDA

View Full Version : Ooh-rah

Sgt2844USMC
07-07-2009, 10:59 AM
What is the correct spelling? I Been active duty for over 5 yrs now and was in USMC JROTC in high school for another 3, so thats about 8 years around marines. All the T-Shirts that have OOH-RAH spelled on it have it spelled like this. I have never seen ooorah or all these other spellings before. Anyone know the correct way to spell it? Pretty sure its O-O-H-R-A-H!!!!!!!!!!!

Gunny_0848
07-07-2009, 11:47 AM
it probably isn't in any book but "ooh rah" is how I was taught..

Sgt2844USMC
07-07-2009, 12:30 PM
just checking. someone on another post was like "there is no H" and got all butt-hurt. So instead of bringing it up in the thread thought i would make my own! Then again my complaint could be along the "Lejuene/Lejern" argument. or the POG vs. Grunt argument.

THORSHAMMER69
07-07-2009, 02:11 PM
I've always been taught ooh-rah as well. I've seen it spelled differently, but I always just laugh at people who can't spell it correctly.

NRTrackChamp2004
07-07-2009, 03:52 PM
OOH-RAH is correct. They way I've learned and spell it.

Ocassionally, if its been 4-5 days and I havent emailed anyone anything motivating, I tend to question myself if its OHH or OOH. haha!

Gunny_0848
07-08-2009, 05:27 AM
I wont waste my time in the Lejern thread. haha Now pougue vs. grunt maaaaybe? haha

THORSHAMMER69
07-10-2009, 02:58 PM
I'm still wondering if anyone is going to come in here and start a debate about this one. I've seen a fair amount of people spell this incorrectly. I thought they'd be in here telling us all about it.

SSgtAllen3381
07-11-2009, 06:02 AM
OOH-RAH.

But as long as it's not HOO-AHHHHHH...it's all good. :)

Gunny_0848
07-11-2009, 06:53 AM
Interestingly the Army's war cry "whoah" is actually spelled HUA and stands for Head Up A$$.. hahaha

venomadness
07-11-2009, 08:42 AM
Interestingly the Army's war cry "whoah" is actually spelled HUA and stands for Head Up A$$.. hahaha

I was also told that it is HUA, but I was told that it stood for "Heard, Understood, Acknowledged".

THORSHAMMER69
07-11-2009, 04:11 PM
HAHAHA

"Heard, Understood, Acknowledged" just isn't as funny! Gunny, that was awesome.

imported_RUPERT0331
07-15-2009, 01:16 AM
Oooohrahhhhhhh

cakeisalie
07-15-2009, 01:55 PM
oooo-rah : one of the first words of initiation in USMC bootcamp, OOO-RAH clearly defines the tribal, martial spirit and group mentality of no quarter given and no quarter taken.

NRTrackChamp2004
07-15-2009, 02:14 PM
oooo-rah : one of the first words of initiation in USMC bootcamp, OOO-RAH clearly defines the tribal, martial spirit and group mentality of no quarter given and no quarter taken.
How about we learn how to spell it right......?
O-O-H-R-A-H

[/ends being an asshole and stickler/]

We were forbidded to EVER say OOH-RAH at boot camp.

cakeisalie
07-15-2009, 04:18 PM
nope ive always spelled it oo-rah therefore i will continue to spell it that way, and it is NOT forbidden to say it in bootcamp, maybe you were a boot yesterday, but ive heard of it being allowed.

THORSHAMMER69
07-16-2009, 02:39 AM
Now we're getting somewhere. Cakeisalie, were you an east coast or west coast Marine? I'm curious as to whether being an east coast or west coast Marine has any bearing on how Marines spell it. Just a thought.

cakeisalie
07-16-2009, 05:15 PM
West coast Marine

NRTrackChamp2004
07-16-2009, 05:21 PM
ah, that explains its all.... fuckin nasty ass West Coast Marines!!!

haha, j/k.

I'm East Coast (obviously with the joke and all)

Gunny_2862
07-16-2009, 08:33 PM
Hey cake, you said you heard of it being allowed? I also heard alot of people say that "stress cards" were indeed handed out in boot camp a few years back. However, that turned out to be a myth.

I would definately like to hear from someone who actually did it in boot camp or witnessed another recruit do it with permission as an acceptable form of response. Now, since they do the crucible now and give out the Eagle, Globe and Anchor before graduation, I could see that being allowed then, but that cannot be counted since the rules of boot camp change slightly at that phase and for all purposes you are a marine.

I bet that is the circumstance behind the story you were told cake.

cakeisalie
07-16-2009, 08:59 PM
i said it in bootcamp, and ive heard of it being said in bootcamp. really though, ive heard alot about bootcamp and alot of younger marines tell me outrageous things, so who knows if its STILL allowed in bootcamp.

NRTrackChamp2004
07-17-2009, 12:29 AM
OOH-RAH, or anything motivating we werent allowed to say. Couldnt really say the word Marine, except for being in the RTF learning knowledge. And definitely wasnt no "stress card". Nor heard anything of such, except hearing that the Army has 'em. FYI, I graduated boot camp in May 2008.

THORSHAMMER69
07-17-2009, 01:59 AM
OOH-RAH, or anything motivating we werent allowed to say. Couldnt really say the word Marine, except for being in the RTF learning knowledge. And definitely wasnt no "stress card". Nor heard anything of such, except hearing that the Army has 'em. FYI, I graduated boot camp in May 2008.

I can't believe that. That's demotivating as hell. Things have changed I guess. :confused:

NRTrackChamp2004
07-17-2009, 08:18 AM
Their reasoning for it was always pretty much to sum it up, "You're not a Marine, so don't say it."

GySgt8511SD
07-17-2009, 09:36 PM
Their reasoning for it was always pretty much to sum it up, "You're not a Marine, so don't say it."

I can confirm this as I was a San Diego drill instructor from 2004-2007. I can honestly say that I never heard a recruit say it nor did we encourage them to. We definitely had them all on the "Kill" thing though. They understood from day one that they didn't rate to do anything that could depict them as being closer to the light at the end of the tunnel. However, we would give a little along the way, i.e. blousing boots, unbuttoning collars, high and tights for the last month, etc, but they weren't allowed to talk the talk, so to speak.

THORSHAMMER69
07-17-2009, 09:42 PM
I can confirm this as I was a San Diego drill instructor from 2004-2007. I can honestly say that I never heard a recruit say it nor did we encourage them to. We definitely had them all on the "Kill" thing though. They understood from day one that they didn't rate to do anything that could depict them as being closer to the light at the end of the tunnel. However, we would give a little along the way, i.e. blousing boots, unbuttoning collars, high and tights for the last month, etc, but they weren't allowed to talk the talk, so to speak.

Break 'em down fast, build 'em up slowly. Now I'm getting it. Thanks for your insight, I didn't think of that. They have their reasons...got it. :)

UncaRastus
09-11-2013, 12:32 AM
I was a DI in '76-'77, at PI. At the time, I was teaching Marine Corps history to the series I was a DI in. If one was proficient in any area, that was what he taught to the series, each time the classes came up.

What I had learned from reading some recollections of the old pre recon, but still pretty much recon, in 1954, while being in a submarine for night time insertions during training, the pre recons imitated the sound of the diving klaxon, and that what they said at the time was 'aroogaah.' That changed over the years to being pronounced the way it is today.