PDA

View Full Version : Sensor Operator Retraining (1U0X1)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

Mi11er
07-01-2009, 11:20 PM
Well.. since this is really starting to build I suggest we have a thread. Anyone else out there that has received eligibility to apply to this new AFSC?

If so fill in what information you have for it so far. I have a contact within the program that should be able to fill me in on some details but I wont be able to talk to him till next week.

Throw down whatever you have ... even if its just that you are eligible to apply!

imported_Modus
07-01-2009, 11:48 PM
I didn't think anyone had received elgibility. Thought that was all happening in August.

BRUWIN
07-02-2009, 01:01 AM
I didn't think anyone had received elgibility. Thought that was all happening in August.

I've since found out more. The 1U AFSC won't be readyin Aug because they still need to write the CFEPT and a few other odds and ends. My bad on giving bad information initially but everytime I turn around I'm hearing something different.

Mi11er
07-02-2009, 03:42 AM
Well... I know of three people including myself that have recieved eligibility to apply to the new afsc so apparently they are getting the ball rolling ahead of schedule. As far as I know by looking at AMS there are slots coming open for instructor positions for the tech school which will be located at Randolph AFB apparently. The 536th Flying Squadron is the identified squadron according to the assignments and the report no later than dates were Oct. of this year. Hopefully it gets under way and we can get slotted into the first class late fall early winter... not that there is really a winter in Texas. Either way Im stoked and I will keep updating as I go for anyone who is interested.

Also... BRUWIN if you have any insight on where they "might" be standing up UAV squadrons other than the current Creech/Canon mix please advise. With the package we have to do a dream sheet and as of now I know of no other locations.

Thanks in advance

imported_Modus
07-02-2009, 05:42 AM
I'm assuming you're a FTA. I don't know how anyone could get elgibility information yet. They still don't have quotas available on AFPC.

BRUWIN
07-02-2009, 11:02 AM
Also... BRUWIN if you have any insight on where they "might" be standing up UAV squadrons other than the current Creech/Canon mix please advise. With the package we have to do a dream sheet and as of now I know of no other locations.

Thanks in advance

I haven't heard anything other than Cannon and Creech as far as Predators go. Not even a whisper. But keep in mind....Global Hawk requires Sensor Operators too. So Beale is always in the mix.

Gunner7
07-02-2009, 12:49 PM
I haven't heard anything other than Cannon and Creech as far as Predators go. Not even a whisper. But keep in mind....Global Hawk requires Sensor Operators too. So Beale is always in the mix.

I don't think the GH will get any of th 1UXXX talent. They will probably keep using the 1Ns for that work. They will drop quotas in the retraining advisory for the NCORP in August. School will be at Randolph.

BRUWIN
07-02-2009, 01:15 PM
I don't think the GH will get any of th 1UXXX talent. They will probably keep using the 1Ns for that work. They will drop quotas in the retraining advisory for the NCORP in August. School will be at Randolph.

I can't understand why they would. Like Predator....GH sensor operation has little to do with intel and more to do with aircrew functions. I know when i was at beale the GH squadron took five of my troops when they stood up. They would come over to visit in their sexy flight suit and leather jacket when it was 80 degrees outside to check on the actual imagery exploitation we were doing for their platform.

Gunner7
07-02-2009, 01:41 PM
The following is a cut&paste from the AFECD. It is the source doc AFPC uses to qualify folks for assignment to the AFSC. I will paste attachment 4 as well whick shows the ASVAB and strength score required.

CEM Code, 1U000
AFSC 1U091, Superintendent
AFSC 1U071, Craftsman
AFSC 1U051, Journeyman
AFSC 1U031, Apprentice
AFSC 1U011, Helper

UNMANNED AEROSPACE SYSTEM (UAS) SENSOR OPERATOR (SO)
(Established 31 Jan 09)

1. Specialty Summary. Performs duties as a mission crew member on unmanned aerospace systems. Employs airborne sensors in manual or computer-assisted modes to actively and/or passively acquire, track, and monitor airborne, maritime and ground objects. Qualified personnel conduct operations and procedures IAW Special Instructions (SPINS), Air Tasking Orders (ATO) and Rules of Engagement (ROE). Crewmembers assist UAS pilots through all phases of employment to include mission planning, flight operations, and debriefings. Continually monitors aircraft and weapons systems status to ensure lethal and non-lethal application of airpower. Related DoD Occupational Subgroup: 105000.

2. Duties and Responsibilities:
2.1. Conducts reconnaissance and surveillance of potential targets and areas of interest. Detects, analyzes and discriminates between valid and invalid targets using synthetic aperture radar, electro-optical, low-light, and infrared full-motion video imagery, and other active or passive acquisition and tracking systems.
2.2. Assists in air navigation, Air Order of Battle (AOB) integration, fire control planning, and determining effective weapons control and delivery tactics to achieve overall mission objectives. Receives target briefs (9-liners) for weapons delivery. Conducts immediate first phase Battle Damage Assessments (BDA) for up-channel coordination and potential reattach. Operator utilizes laser target marking systems to provide target identification and illumination for onboard weapons delivery, and in support of other combat assets. Individual is also responsible for terminal weapons guidance.
2.3. Performs pre-flight and in-flight mission planning activities in accordance with unified combatant command and theater rules of engagement. Qualified operator must understand tactics, techniques, and procedures (TTPs) for friendly and enemy AOB assets. They also operate mission planning ancillary equipment to initialize information for download to airborne mission systems. Receives, interprets, extracts, and disseminates relevant ATO, Airspace Control Order (ACO) and SPINs information. Participates in post-flight debriefing to establish mission accomplishments and potential procedural development.
2.4. Researches and studies target imagery, friendly and enemy orders of battle, and offensive and defensive capabilities from various sources. Assembles target information, locates forces, and determines hostile intentions and possible tactics.
2.5. Conducts initial, qualification, upgrade and continuation training for mission crew members. Individuals perform training, planning, standardization and evaluation, and other staff duty functions. Performs staff assistance visits to subordinate units. Tests and evaluates capabilities of new equipment and propriety of new procedures.

3. Specialty Qualifications:
3.1. Knowledge: Knowledge is mandatory of active and passive airborne sensor systems fundamentals; air weapons control and delivery operations; electro-optical, infrared, and synthetic aperture radar sensor theory; basic imagery interpretation principles; TTPs for detection, recognition, identification and target tracking; TTPs for friendly and enemy AOB assts; UAS control procedures; basic aircraft performance characteristics; Federal Aviation Regulations and Air Force General Flight Rules, airborne sensors and armaments; maintaining publications; emergency action procedures; and ATO, ACO, SPINs, and fire support annexes.
3.2. Education. Completion of high school with courses in algebra, geometry, electronics and computer applications is desirable.
3.3. Training. The following training is mandatory for award of the AFSC indicated:
3.3.1. 1U031. Completion of the basic Sensor Operator course.
3.4. Experience. The following experience is mandatory for award of the AFSC indicated:
3.4.1. 1U051. Qualification in and possession of AFSC 1U031.
3.4.2. 1U071. Qualification in and possession of AFSC 1U051.
3.4.3. 1U091. Qualification in and possession of 1U071, and experience in managing Predator Sensor Operations.

3.4.4. Flight experience is considered beneficial and desired, but not required for qualification in this AFSC.
3.5. Other. The following are mandatory as indicated:
3.5.1. See attachment 4 for entry requirements.
3.5.2. Normal color vision, stereoscopic acuity equivalent to depth perception standards, and basic Ground Control Physical qualification for UAS Sensor Operator duty according to AFI 48-123, Medical Examinations and Standards, Attachment 2.
3.5.3. This AFSC requires routine access to Top Secret material or similar environment. For award and retention of AFSCs 1U0X1, completion of a current Single Scope Background Investigation (SSBI) according to AFI 31-501, Personnel Security Program Management.
NOTE: Award of the 3-skill level without a completed Single Scope Background Investigation (SSBI) is authorized provided an interim Top Secret security clearance has been granted according to AFI 31-501.
3.5.4. For award and retention of AFSC 1U031 ability to keyboard 20 wpm.

Mi11er
07-02-2009, 10:22 PM
I'm assuming you're a FTA. I don't know how anyone could get elgibility information yet. They still don't have quotas available on AFPC.

Nope... 7yrs in and a TSgt... I already have my records review in the works for my physical and I should hear something back next week. Typing test will be cake and then I will be submitting my app. Hopefully I can get this all in before this months retraining board.

GUNNER.... thanks for the info above ... I was curious about the TS since they havent said a thing about it yet.

The quotas are not on the FY 09 advisory, trust me, I have applied every two weeks for the past year. But, apparently, the quotas are available. I know of two others that have it also.

imported_Modus
07-02-2009, 11:16 PM
Cool, are you prior aircrew? (My last question)

Mi11er
07-02-2009, 11:24 PM
Nah... Im a cop lol

imported_LOAL-D
07-02-2009, 11:34 PM
Nah... Im a cop lol

No one mentioned TS clearance? That's pretty important...hope you don't have any skeletons in your closet, good luck...

imported_Modus
07-02-2009, 11:51 PM
I forget when you're a Tech you cross train to anything. Us E-5s have to wait for NCORP.

Kalbo607
07-03-2009, 12:15 AM
Holloman is another base sensors can go to, and there are others on the way sooner than you might think.

BRUWIN
07-03-2009, 01:37 AM
Holloman is another base sensors can go to, and there are others on the way sooner than you might think.

I'm sure there will be....after all the 1A's that these 1Ns are merging with to form the 1U had to come from other jobs as well.

Mi11er
07-04-2009, 02:58 PM
No one mentioned TS clearance? That's pretty important...hope you don't have any skeletons in your closet, good luck...

Nope... according to the email I was sent from AFPC I have to be eligible for a Secret Clearance... which really doesnt make much sense but they didnt give me any paperwork for it or put it on my application. The only thing they require from me to apply is my Ground Control Physical/ 422 and a typing test. I was a little surprised but maybe they want this process to be quick versus waiting on a TS. I am guessing they will Interim us once selected and make us start the paperwork then, I dont think the first classes will start until the October/ November timeframe.

Still my biggest problem right now is I have to update a dream sheet... not exactly sure how they expect me to do that if we dont know where they are going. I guess it will just say Creech as number one and I will leave Cannon the hell off my sheet lol.

imported_Modus
07-06-2009, 02:10 AM

Did you ever have to attend the Joint Firepower Course?

imported_LOAL-D
07-06-2009, 03:50 AM
Did you ever have to attend the Joint Firepower Course?

haha, I think I know you.......

imported_Modus
07-06-2009, 04:56 AM
Really? :-| I'm just a guy who wants to be a Sensor Operator. So I'm trying to get an edge/idea of everything I need to prepare for. How long is it 2 weeks?

imported_2W1and1N1
07-08-2009, 08:59 PM
Just thought I would post my two cents. I am about to Graduate as a retraining SSgt from Imagery school. I am going to Creech so I guess once again I will be changing AFSC codes. The issue I have is getting out of a career field, 1N1, with a huge bonus!!! Hope 1U will have one!!! And you can go to Hurlburt, on U model gunships and be a sensor. Any information on how this is all going down with me?

Mi11er
07-08-2009, 10:21 PM
As far as I know they will be using "some" of the 1N1's to merge into the new career field but not all... I think I read someplace that you would have somewhat of a "choice" in the matter. Bruwin can probably add more to that. And the 1U0X1 AFSC is UAS sensor operators which I believe cancels out the gunships.. There is another AFSC for that, I cant think of it right off hand. Also, the last info I heard was that the gunship squadrons had left hurlburt and moved to Cannon, there is an AF.mil story on that one.

When you got orders to Creech did you put that on your dream sheet or was it a "best interest of the Air Force" decision?

imported_2W1and1N1
07-08-2009, 11:02 PM
I worked on Gunships at Hurlburt. There are to models H and U. The H's, what I worked, went to Cannon and the U boats stayed at Hurlburt field. The U boats are alot, 20 year, newer and have three guns, the H on two. Sensor for gunships has always been a special duty..for 1N4 and 1N1 types. Creech was on my dream sheet and I have already spent three years at Cannon working F-16's when they were there. Wonder if they would do a assignment team since there is no other 1N1 jobs at Creech except Sensor. That would be crazy for me to get there at the beginning of September and then have to move again. I have a feeling that your "choice" in the matter may have alot to do with time on station. I loved my job on the fightline and hope I enjoy doing this. I was picked up as a NCORP no-vol.

Q1Checkride
07-08-2009, 11:36 PM
And the 1U0X1 AFSC is UAS sensor operators which I believe cancels out the gunships.. There is another AFSC for that, I cant think of it right off hand.

gunship sensor operators are 1A4x1s.

imported_Burton
07-09-2009, 06:43 AM
Just thought I would post my two cents. I am about to Graduate as a retraining SSgt from Imagery school. I am going to Creech so I guess once again I will be changing AFSC codes. The issue I have is getting out of a career field, 1N1, with a huge bonus!!! Hope 1U will have one!!! And you can go to Hurlburt, on U model gunships and be a sensor. Any information on how this is all going down with me?

So are you going to be stationed at Creech or are you just going there for training? Where is the 1U school and how long is it, any idea? Are you going through what the 1U retrainees will be going through or is it an accelerated course since you have already been through 1n1?

imported_2W1and1N1
07-09-2009, 03:58 PM
Because as of right this minute and since UAV's came online in 1999 there is no 1U. SO what they have always done is taken prior aircrew, and 1N1's and given them 3-4 months additional tech school after arrival at Creech from Goodfellow AFB. I have been told that I will get there and go to my operational unit at Creech after about that time.At the same time 1N1 school is getting refocused as of mi September with a course rewrite and the school will be around 100 days not the 6 months it is now.

Mi11er
07-09-2009, 11:25 PM
Well thats good ... 100 days keeps you from having to PCS twice in one year if you have a family. On top of that its 80 less days in the neat place of Goodfellow AFB.

imported_71mach1
07-20-2009, 11:19 PM
At the same time 1N1 school is getting refocused as of mi September with a course rewrite and the school will be around 100 days not the 6 months it is now.

Do you know how this will affect the students starting class in mid-August? Are they still going to make us complete the six-month course?

imported_2W1and1N1
07-21-2009, 05:55 AM
That is a good question, the date of the course change is not set in stone. But the funny thing, are not so funny, is when it does happen, you will have some classes that started after others finish before...sucks I know. But someone will luck out I guess.

imported_Lt Bullitt
07-21-2009, 12:50 PM
At the same time 1N1 school is getting refocused as of mi September with a course rewrite and the school will be around 100 days not the 6 months it is now.

Weird... My assignment still says 6 months on it and I start in Dec.

imported_2W1and1N1
07-21-2009, 04:34 PM
Weird... My assignment still says 6 months on it and I start in Dec.

I assure you that if all works out then you will be way shorter. The course is a done deal. If you have questions just call the school and ask...I'm sure an instructor will tell you that you probably will be the new course.

imported_Lt Bullitt
07-21-2009, 05:50 PM
I guess it depends what shred I get.

1N1X1A = 110 days
1N1X1B = 115 days

And I've been told any training over 20 wks is a PCS. <---- Point me to the right spot if that info is wrong.

imported_2W1and1N1
07-21-2009, 05:55 PM

1N1X1A = 110 days
1N1X1B = 115 days

And I've been told any training over 20 wks is a PCS. <---- Point me to the right spot if that info is wrong.

Yea that sounds right. Remember though that when they say 110 days, thats class days not weekends. I was told when I got here that anything over 120 days was PCS...I guess they may make an wavier for this so it can be a PCS. I can't really see the air force paying the money to send you out here TDY.

imported_Lt Bullitt
07-21-2009, 06:06 PM
Yeah.. I knew it was class days. So it will make it 22 / 23 weeks... add in a week of holidays (1 every month) and your sitting at almost 6 months of school.

Wonder how long the 1U course will be?

imported_2W1and1N1
07-21-2009, 06:08 PM
Yeah.. I knew it was class days. So it will make it 22 / 23 weeks... add in a week of holidays (1 every month) and your sitting at almost 6 months of school.

Wonder how long the 1U course will be?

No idea on the 1U, alot shorter I hear though. I got here on March 1st and will be done August 25th if that tells you how long it is now.

imported_Modus
07-21-2009, 07:07 PM
Someone told me, 21 days for the Basic Sensor Operator Course (BSOT).

imported_2W1and1N1
07-21-2009, 07:21 PM
Someone told me, 21 days for the Basic Sensor Operator Course (BSOT).

Great so basically I went to six months at Goodfellow for no reason? I hope they give 1U and reenlistment bonus and/or grandfather my 1n1 reenlistment bonus. Does anyone know any more about the 1U thing and if current 1N1 SO's at Creech will have a choice in the matter. I can tell that if they remove alot of those 1N1's bonuses you will see alot jump out. Just to much money right now for Imagery on the outside.

imported_Lt Bullitt
07-21-2009, 07:53 PM
Great so basically I went to six months at Goodfellow for no reason? I hope they give 1U and reenlistment bonus and/or grandfather my 1n1 reenlistment bonus. Does anyone know any more about the 1U thing and if current 1N1 SO's at Creech will have a choice in the matter. I can tell that if they remove alot of those 1N1's bonuses you will see alot jump out. Just to much money right now for Imagery on the outside.

Are you a FTA?

imported_2W1and1N1
07-21-2009, 07:56 PM
Are you a FTA?

Negative..SSgt on second enlistment. Was force crossed trained out of 2W171 under the NCORP program.

imported_Lt Bullitt
07-21-2009, 08:06 PM
Ahh... then you have to wait till your extension/enlistment end is coming up before you can pick up the re-up bonus.

imported_2W1and1N1
07-21-2009, 08:09 PM
Ahh... then you have to wait till your extension/enlistment end is coming up before you can pick up the re-up bonus.

Right I know, but imagine cross training into a 7.0 zone B and then getting forced out to something with maybe 0, but having al the training of folks on the 7.0 zone B...yea that would suck.

imported_Lt Bullitt
07-21-2009, 08:19 PM
Depends if you get a say so in what AFSC you want at your next duty station. By what I read, you will have a say so. But we all know about Major Bendover and his ways.

imported_71mach1
07-21-2009, 09:32 PM

1N1X1A = 110 days
1N1X1B = 115 days

What are the different shreds for?

Anyway, I called the school today, and I will still be going through the "long" 1N1 class in August. I was told that the course will only be about 20 class days shorter. So people going through the new, shorter course will graduate before me. I really hope that doesn't screw up the assignment system.

Mi11er
07-21-2009, 10:07 PM
Well Randolph has been given the go ahead to start training the 1U0X1 BSOT course and it will be 21 days long. And from what I heard from a reliable source you will get sent to UFC (UAS fundamentals course) which is the pilot course to be teamed up with a pilot to go through as a 2 man flight crew. Also on the questions of SRBs this reliable source also told me that they cant feasibly take people out of a 7 multiplier career field and throw them into a no multiplier career field.

IMO they will have a higher SRB for the 1U0X1 due to the fact that you can walk out and pick up a well paying job doing this on the outside. When I say higher I mean as higher than nothing... from what I heard being kicked around they were going to run it similar to ATC. which is close in comparison, its no 7.. but its close.

Unfortunately I am still waiting for a physical from flight medicine and every base within 50 miles is booked solid through September. Hopefully I dont lose my eligibility to retrain into this job. Im pulling as many strings as I can but Im certainly not getting anywhere. Hopefully they dont throw out my application once I apply because I took to long, especially since there isnt a damn thing I can do about it.

-A frustrated Airman

BRUWIN
07-21-2009, 11:34 PM
What are the different shreds for?

Anyway, I called the school today, and I will still be going through the "long" 1N1 class in August. I was told that the course will only be about 20 class days shorter. So people going through the new, shorter course will graduate before me. I really hope that doesn't screw up the assignment system.

The A is for Geospatial Analyst (formerly Imgery Analyst)
The B is for Targeting

You could wind up in either one.

Mi11er
07-22-2009, 09:14 PM
So according to AF.mil, Randolph AFB is starting the first 1U0X1 BSOT course on 17 Aug 09. Is there anyone out there that is officially "IN" this class??

imported_Burton
07-23-2009, 11:11 AM
As far as bonuses go, you will get whatever bonus your Control AFSC has listed. Doesn't matter what your duty or secondary AFSC is, its all about the CONTROL...

imported_71mach1
07-23-2009, 03:39 PM
The A is for Geospatial Analyst (formerly Imgery Analyst)
The B is for Targeting

You could wind up in either one.

Ok, thanks. Next question, how and when do they decide which shred you are in? Do we get to make the choice?

imported_Lt Bullitt
07-23-2009, 05:25 PM
Maybe if you call ahead they can tell you. I know when I came from basic it told me what avionics shred I was on my orders.

imported_71mach1
07-23-2009, 09:54 PM
Maybe if you call ahead they can tell you. I know when I came from basic it told me what avionics shred I was on my orders.

So the front of my orders say 1N011...ha! MPF told me to ignore it though.

But the back of my orders say:

CRS NBR: X8ABR1N131 0A8B

Mean anything to anybody?

And another noob 1N1 question, what is the difference between an analyst and targeter?

Mi11er
07-23-2009, 09:56 PM
STOP STEALING MY THREAD!!!!! You 1N1's have your own damn thread!!! :)

imported_Modus
07-24-2009, 02:29 AM
I have my eyesight stuff tomorrow, and the actual physical stuff monday. Did you do the whole typing thing? I'm not sure how all this going to work.

Mi11er
07-24-2009, 02:45 AM
I have already taken the typing test, but the entire San Antonio area is backed up on the physicals right now so who knows when I will get that.

When did you get your eligibility to apply, and are you FTA or NCORP?

Also what AFSC are you coming from?

imported_Modus
07-24-2009, 02:48 AM
3a0x1 :-) NCORP

I got the notification 2 days ago. I'm hearing 2 weeks from Monday, mine will be done.

Mi11er
07-24-2009, 03:00 AM
Thats cool, Im hoping I hear back on my physical date since thats the only thing I am waiting for currently. Three bases and not one can get me in relatively soon. Ridiculous. I have been talking with some of the people that are deeply involved in the building/ writing of this course and they are taking care of me so hopefully everything works out. What base are you going to put down on your dreamsheet?

And if you could keep me posted on what all the Ground Control Physical entails.

imported_Modus
07-24-2009, 03:20 AM
I'll tell you Monday. So you haven't done the vision/depth perception either, that sucks. Let me know if you have any useful info. I wonder if it will be possible to make that class in August, I wonder when the next one is. Why are they separating FTA from crosstrainees?

I'm thinking Hurlburt, Beale, Creech, Holloman...I think those are all "UAS" bases.

Mi11er
07-24-2009, 03:25 AM
Is the vision test done during your Ground Control or is that something I need to take up with Optometry? The class is only 21 days long at Randolph but im not sure how long the UFC course is at Creech or how many classes they run at one time. Hopefully they go through them rather quickly, it would be nice instead of having to wait a long period of time. I dont think that they are separating the FTA and crosstrainees I just dont think that they are starting the first BMTers till later.

imported_Modus
07-24-2009, 03:38 AM
It's lumped together. You do the physical at Flight Medicine, they'll refer you to Optometry. Depending on the personnel they have, they'll probably do the tests and have a Flight Doc sign it off. That's the way our guys are doing it.

Hopefully there'll be a slot somewhere for me lol.

imported_Burton
07-24-2009, 08:00 AM
It's lumped together. You do the physical at Flight Medicine, they'll refer you to Optometry. Depending on the personnel they have, they'll probably do the tests and have a Flight Doc sign it off. That's the way our guys are doing it.

Hopefully there'll be a slot somewhere for me lol.

So the important question, did you take trig in high school? AFPC sent me a message saying completion of high school with courses in algebra, geometry, trig, computer operations, and software application is mandatory...I don't think they even offered the cpu classes when I was in high school, but I sure as shit didn't take trig...still waiting to hear if they are going to accept me anyways...I can't imagine them requiring all that, how many ppl would actually meet those requirements???

imported_Modus
07-24-2009, 12:55 PM
I'm pretty sure it said desireable not mandatory. I have computer college courses and my job included computers, so I'm pretty set in that category. Computer experience I have, I'm no math genius though. So you finished the physical? Could you give us a little insight? I'm a little worried about the eyesight stuff, not sure if I really have a reason to be.

imported_Lt Bullitt
07-24-2009, 02:23 PM
STOP STEALING MY THREAD!!!!! You 1N1's have your own damn thread!!! :)

LOL!!! But it's soooo... much fun! :eek:

sfiforlife
07-25-2009, 03:42 AM
The following is a cut&paste from the AFECD. It is the source doc AFPC uses to qualify folks for assignment to the AFSC. I will paste attachment 4 as well whick shows the ASVAB and strength score required.

CEM Code, 1U000
AFSC 1U091, Superintendent
AFSC 1U071, Craftsman
AFSC 1U051, Journeyman
AFSC 1U031, Apprentice
AFSC 1U011, Helper

UNMANNED AEROSPACE SYSTEM (UAS) SENSOR OPERATOR (SO)
(Established 31 Jan 09)

1. Specialty Summary. Performs duties as a mission crew member on unmanned aerospace systems. Employs airborne sensors in manual or computer-assisted modes to actively and/or passively acquire, track, and monitor airborne, maritime and ground objects. Qualified personnel conduct operations and procedures IAW Special Instructions (SPINS), Air Tasking Orders (ATO) and Rules of Engagement (ROE). Crewmembers assist UAS pilots through all phases of employment to include mission planning, flight operations, and debriefings. Continually monitors aircraft and weapons systems status to ensure lethal and non-lethal application of airpower. Related DoD Occupational Subgroup: 105000.

2. Duties and Responsibilities:
2.1. Conducts reconnaissance and surveillance of potential targets and areas of interest. Detects, analyzes and discriminates between valid and invalid targets using synthetic aperture radar, electro-optical, low-light, and infrared full-motion video imagery, and other active or passive acquisition and tracking systems.
2.2. Assists in air navigation, Air Order of Battle (AOB) integration, fire control planning, and determining effective weapons control and delivery tactics to achieve overall mission objectives. Receives target briefs (9-liners) for weapons delivery. Conducts immediate first phase Battle Damage Assessments (BDA) for up-channel coordination and potential reattach. Operator utilizes laser target marking systems to provide target identification and illumination for onboard weapons delivery, and in support of other combat assets. Individual is also responsible for terminal weapons guidance.
2.3. Performs pre-flight and in-flight mission planning activities in accordance with unified combatant command and theater rules of engagement. Qualified operator must understand tactics, techniques, and procedures (TTPs) for friendly and enemy AOB assets. They also operate mission planning ancillary equipment to initialize information for download to airborne mission systems. Receives, interprets, extracts, and disseminates relevant ATO, Airspace Control Order (ACO) and SPINs information. Participates in post-flight debriefing to establish mission accomplishments and potential procedural development.
2.4. Researches and studies target imagery, friendly and enemy orders of battle, and offensive and defensive capabilities from various sources. Assembles target information, locates forces, and determines hostile intentions and possible tactics.
2.5. Conducts initial, qualification, upgrade and continuation training for mission crew members. Individuals perform training, planning, standardization and evaluation, and other staff duty functions. Performs staff assistance visits to subordinate units. Tests and evaluates capabilities of new equipment and propriety of new procedures.

3. Specialty Qualifications:
3.1. Knowledge: Knowledge is mandatory of active and passive airborne sensor systems fundamentals; air weapons control and delivery operations; electro-optical, infrared, and synthetic aperture radar sensor theory; basic imagery interpretation principles; TTPs for detection, recognition, identification and target tracking; TTPs for friendly and enemy AOB assts; UAS control procedures; basic aircraft performance characteristics; Federal Aviation Regulations and Air Force General Flight Rules, airborne sensors and armaments; maintaining publications; emergency action procedures; and ATO, ACO, SPINs, and fire support annexes.
3.2. Education. Completion of high school with courses in algebra, geometry, electronics and computer applications is desirable.
3.3. Training. The following training is mandatory for award of the AFSC indicated:
3.3.1. 1U031. Completion of the basic Sensor Operator course.
3.4. Experience. The following experience is mandatory for award of the AFSC indicated:
3.4.1. 1U051. Qualification in and possession of AFSC 1U031.
3.4.2. 1U071. Qualification in and possession of AFSC 1U051.
3.4.3. 1U091. Qualification in and possession of 1U071, and experience in managing Predator Sensor Operations.

3.4.4. Flight experience is considered beneficial and desired, but not required for qualification in this AFSC.
3.5. Other. The following are mandatory as indicated:
3.5.1. See attachment 4 for entry requirements.
3.5.2. Normal color vision, stereoscopic acuity equivalent to depth perception standards, and basic Ground Control Physical qualification for UAS Sensor Operator duty according to AFI 48-123, Medical Examinations and Standards, Attachment 2.
3.5.3. This AFSC requires routine access to Top Secret material or similar environment. For award and retention of AFSCs 1U0X1, completion of a current Single Scope Background Investigation (SSBI) according to AFI 31-501, Personnel Security Program Management.
NOTE: Award of the 3-skill level without a completed Single Scope Background Investigation (SSBI) is authorized provided an interim Top Secret security clearance has been granted according to AFI 31-501.
3.5.4. For award and retention of AFSC 1U031 ability to keyboard 20 wpm.

I have applied for the 1U0X1 job last week (initial) and received an email back stating "YES -- 1U011 UNMAN AERO SPAC SYS SENS OPER HELP" . Now does this mean that I have a high enough asvab score for the job? I looked everywhere for attachment 4 that you have mentioned in your post but cannot seem to find it. You seem to know what you are talking about when it comes to this afsc, I would lookforward to a response from you. Also what are the requirments that I need to submit to push this application through? There seems to be no information anywhere regarding any of this. Thank you

Mi11er
07-25-2009, 08:12 AM
You should have received an email from AFPC telling you exactly what you need to complete to apply. Check your MY STUFF profile on AFPC's website. It requires a Ground Control Physical, some vision tests, and a typing test.

imported_Burton
07-27-2009, 04:24 AM
I have applied for the 1U0X1 job last week (initial) and received an email back stating "YES -- 1U011 UNMAN AERO SPAC SYS SENS OPER HELP" . Now does this mean that I have a high enough asvab score for the job? I looked everywhere for attachment 4 that you have mentioned in your post but cannot seem to find it. You seem to know what you are talking about when it comes to this afsc, I would lookforward to a response from you. Also what are the requirments that I need to submit to push this application through? There seems to be no information anywhere regarding any of this. Thank you

Just like Miller said, only once I submitted my 422 and typing test AFPC sent me a message saying completion of high school with courses in algebra, geometry, triginometry, computer science, and software application is MANDATORY, and that I needed to submit my high school transcripts...and yes, the message I received said MANDATORY...Whether or not it will keep me from getting accepted, I don't know, but that's what it said...As far as the eye test, you just need normal color vision and depth perception...If you received a message stating you are eligible to retrain, that doesn't mean you are qualified, so you should check your asvab scores against what is required and retake it if necessary...

Mi11er
07-27-2009, 01:21 PM
Just out of curiousity has anyone seen what the asvab requirements are for this career field?

I havent seen anything listing that so far

imported_Burton
07-28-2009, 03:16 AM
Yea, but I don't remember what they are. You can find them on the attachment to what homie posted above, they aren't too bad, like a 66 and 54 or something like that but I don't remember for which category...

imported_097
07-28-2009, 04:48 AM
Just like Miller said, only once I submitted my 422 and typing test AFPC sent me a message saying completion of high school with courses in algebra, geometry, triginometry, computer science, and software application is MANDATORY, and that I needed to submit my high school transcripts...and yes, the message I received said MANDATORY...Whether or not it will keep me from getting accepted, I don't know, but that's what it said...As far as the eye test, you just need normal color vision and depth perception...If you received a message stating you are eligible to retrain, that doesn't mean you are qualified, so you should check your asvab scores against what is required and retake it if necessary...

I cant believe that you needed to submit high school transcripts, crazy. I've been doing this job with a 1N1 afsc for over 2 years, and we didnt need those. I don't know when they will stop pulling Senor Operators from 1N1 school but that may be an option for you.

Mi11er
08-17-2009, 04:30 AM
Has anyone heard anything about this job lately? Or has anyone gotten anything passed an eligibility approval? I take my physical this Friday and then my app goes up and hopefully I hear something shortly there after. If anyone is getting confusing information let me know, the Chief running this show is curious as to what is being told to the people applying... I know its been a nightmare for a couple of us but there has to be more out there.

imported_Modus
08-17-2009, 04:35 AM
Are you actually taking the physical? Because it should just be vision (color/depth perception).

Mi11er
08-17-2009, 04:50 AM
Its considered a Ground Control Physical... what that entails... I have no fucking clue... :)

Kahnc360
08-17-2009, 03:00 PM
Does anyone know if this AFSC 1uox1 UAS Sensor Operator is available to choose at MEPS or is it only available for re-trainers?

packfan1982
08-17-2009, 03:28 PM
I submitted my retraining package back in july but it was kicked back due to the 422 not having all of the required statements on it. I got a call last week from somebody trying to fill up a class on 21 Aug and 28 September and that if I was interested I could have either one pending release from my functional manager. Well just got word that my functional manager will not grant my release for at least 4 months. Hopefully I do get a release and there is still a spot for me in 4 months.

I was also curious about where we could go. I've got cannon on my dream sheet now bout wouldn' mind having more that two choices. I looked on AMS but there wasn't a 1U0X1 on there to view enlisted authorized.

Kahnc360
08-17-2009, 05:03 PM
I submitted my retraining package back in july but it was kicked back due to the 422 not having all of the required statements on it. I got a call last week from somebody trying to fill up a class on 21 Aug and 28 September and that if I was interested I could have either one pending release from my functional manager. Well just got word that my functional manager will not grant my release for at least 4 months. Hopefully I do get a release and there is still a spot for me in 4 months.

I was also curious about where we could go. I've got cannon on my dream sheet now bout wouldn' mind having more that two choices. I looked on AMS but there wasn't a 1U0X1 on there to view enlisted authorized.

From what I've heard, all UAS Sensor Operators are headed for Creech/Nellis AFB or are already there since thats the UAV center of operations for the USA, correct me if I'm wrong.

imported_LOAL-D
08-17-2009, 05:09 PM
From what I've heard, all UAS Sensor Operators are headed for Creech/Nellis AFB or are already there since thats the UAV center of operations for the USA, correct me if I'm wrong.

You are not wrong, however, you need to start thinking about New Mexico if you are going into UAS, UAV, RPV, etc....i know...:)

Kahnc360
08-17-2009, 05:20 PM
You are not wrong, however, you need to start thinking about New Mexico if you are going into UAS, UAV, RPV, etc....i know...:)

I'm assuming you mean UAV ops are gonna be headed to New Mexico in the future? If so, no worries here, I love the desert:)

packfan1982
08-17-2009, 05:35 PM
Currently UAV sensor operators are stationed at Creech AFB NV and Cannon AFB NM. I've seen people mention Holloman and Beale but was just wondering if anybody had found a list of enlisted authorized bases for 1U0X1. It used to be a job that you could do from my career field (1A3) but they shut that off a couple of months ago when they made the 1U0 career field.

I also don't know if I would call Clovis a desert or just kind of in the middle of nowhere.

packfan1982
08-17-2009, 05:38 PM
It looks like the school is 50 days in Randolph and 40 days in Creech.

Does anybody have any information on deployment rates or anything like that?

Mi11er
08-17-2009, 10:30 PM
What I heard about Randolph is that the school is 21 days longs... you start at Lackland at Aircrew Fundamentals and then go to Randloph, and then finally to the UAS Fundamentals Course where you will be paired up with a Pilot and go through there flight training with them as a 2 man crew. I am in the same boat... I finish all requirements on Friday and will then be pending a release from my Functional as well.. I have a couple connections up there but ultimately that is the one thing that could hold me back. Only bonus is that I am already here at Lackland so it is just across the street for me to start school.

Crossing my fingers that I can get released

packfan1982
08-18-2009, 01:18 PM
Aircrew fundamentals is a drag. I really hope that I don't have to go through that again. 3 weeks of some of the most inanae material in the air force plus a chamber ride. I don't know if UAS operators need the chamber so you may miss out on that.

Mi11er
08-18-2009, 04:34 PM
Yah I was told that the altitude chamber was out of the question for Sensor Operators for obvious reasons

imported_2W1and1N1
08-18-2009, 09:12 PM
Yah I was told that the altitude chamber was out of the question for Sensor Operators for obvious reasons

I will graduate the 6 month 1N1 program on Monday. I will then go to Creech to be a SO. I was picked up in the NCORP program for cross training from 2w1. Now I know that soon SO will become 1U but as of me typing this 1n1 course still provides almost all SO's. It is a much longer school as you can imagine and I hope as a 1U I can keep my 7.0 reenlistment bonus. I had to do the ground physical here at goodfellow. If anyone has any questions for me messege me.

Mi11er
08-18-2009, 09:27 PM
From what I was told from a pretty reliable source... it isnt fair to take you from a 7 multiplier and then give you nothing. So they are working that in to see what is going to be there as a bonus. I think it will be at least within the 5-6 range at least... dont plan for a 7... but close at least.

Send me a PM and let me know what a Ground Control Physical entails pls

Thanks

Baroncoop
08-19-2009, 04:28 PM
Does anyone know anything about deployment rates for this career field?

Baroncoop
08-20-2009, 10:29 AM
Also, these may seem like silly questions, but I have been pondering them:

I understand from other sources that shifts are between 8-12 hours, but how does that work? Do you get time to eat meals? Go to the bathroom? I imagine that you can't just leave the controls for a little bit and just hope that nothing happens. Also, is it something along the lines of go to work, take over a UAV from the previous shift and keep going on their mission, or do you and a pilot take an entire mission from right after take-off to right before landing regardless of how much time that actually is?

Just curious as to how the actual job works. Thanks!

JMERE
08-20-2009, 03:24 PM
How long did it take you guys for the ground control physical? I just found out that I'm on the NCORP and I'm trying to apply for this AFSC. Tried to schedule the ground control physical and was told that it can take close to 90 days to complete this. I don't have 90 days!!! Also, does anyone know what's required for ASVAB.

Mi11er
08-20-2009, 11:38 PM
It takes a very long time to get into any physical through Flight Medicine... I got mine through pulling strings and it still took a month and a half. I take my Ground Control tomorrow morning (21 Aug) and then hopefully I can push my app through tomorrow afternoon.

Kahnc360
08-20-2009, 11:46 PM
How long did it take you guys for the ground control physical? I just found out that I'm on the NCORP and I'm trying to apply for this AFSC. Tried to schedule the ground control physical and was told that it can take close to 90 days to complete this. I don't have 90 days!!! Also, does anyone know what's required for ASVAB.

This is the response I got from asking the online recruiter at airforce.com:

ASVAB Scores required are: General 64 or Electrical 54

WALLY3430
08-21-2009, 12:45 AM
Can anyone tell me why normal depth perception is even required? I'm a private pilot TSgt---seems silly to require normal depth perception for looking at a monitor. Waiverable? Last time I took the depth perception test I got 19 of 20 bubbles correct---but you have to get 20 out of 20 to be considered having "normal" depth perception. Again, not an issue while flying an actual Cessna for me.

Gunner7
08-21-2009, 01:12 PM
Can anyone tell me why normal depth perception is even required? I'm a private pilot TSgt---seems silly to require normal depth perception for looking at a monitor. Waiverable? Last time I took the depth perception test I got 19 of 20 bubbles correct---but you have to get 20 out of 20 to be considered having "normal" depth perception. Again, not an issue while flying an actual Cessna for me.

The October release of the AFECD will show a few changes to the initial entry requirements. Lower General score of 66 to 64. Change wording to say: "General score 64 OR Elec score 54. They will also delete the requirement for depth perception. If you are identified as a Phase I NCORP type, schedule the physical ASAP at the hospital and note who is assisting you. As you get closer to the end of Phase I let AFPC retraining know your physical is taking longer than expected and you would like an extension. The Hospital will have to explain the delay to the BPO at AFPC not you.

Gunner7
08-21-2009, 01:42 PM
So the important question, did you take trig in high school? AFPC sent me a message saying completion of high school with courses in algebra, geometry, trig, computer operations, and software application is mandatory...I don't think they even offered the cpu classes when I was in high school, but I sure as shit didn't take trig...still waiting to hear if they are going to accept me anyways...I can't imagine them requiring all that, how many ppl would actually meet those requirements???

This is right out of the AFECD:
3.2. Education. Completion of high school with courses in algebra, geometry, electronics and computer applications is desirable
AFPC should not be making this a requirement.

T1N191-ISO
08-21-2009, 02:31 PM
SRB's - The 1U0XX career field SRB's will mirror the 1N1 SRB's until the end of FY 11 at which time they will be reassesed based on retentions/separations. Initial 1U0XX cadre - the intial 1U0XX cadre will 150 curently qualified Predator/Reaper SO's from Creech-Holloman-Cannon officially in November. No answers yet as to new/retraining 1N1X1's being allowed to further convert into 1U0XX's. Flight Physicals - the GBC will continue to be used...hound your losing base flight medicine office since you will not start the flying phase of UAS training until your initial flight clearance started by them is complete. Basing - you're stuck with Creech-Holloman-Cannon for now. Deployments - yes, bu they are few and far between and usually filled by volunteers. CDC's - for now there are no CDC's for 5/7-levels. The Randolph course will grant the 3-level and the follow-on FTU course will grant the "mission capable" status. Been doing this job for 3 years and love it. For those of you coming into the field a couple of hints...study, study, study your course materials, the more you know the better and always remember "down is up and up is down".

packfan1982
08-21-2009, 03:47 PM
I read that sensor operators work 4 hours shifts. So if there is a 16 hour sortie they will mission plan with 4 sensor operators. That doesn't sound like a bad gig to me.

Mi11er
08-21-2009, 04:34 PM
That doesnt sound right... I think they run 12-14 hour missions when you include the brief and debrief...thats what I have heard from people that are current sensor operators. I know it all depends on the mission and your role... but I highly , highly doubt its 4hrs.

packfan1982
08-21-2009, 04:58 PM
And of course I can't find the article now. Maybe a SO can chime in?

T1N191-ISO
08-21-2009, 11:20 PM
Duty shifts vary by unit but all are running 24/7 ops. An SO may sit for 30 minutes to 8 hours or anything in between depending on the daily schedule and how many crews are available that shift. Standard shifts in the unit I was in ran 8 hours of flying and 30 minutes of briefing before and after and crews are constantly swaped out during that shift. That being said it was only on vary rare occasions that you would be stuck in the "box" for more than 6 hours in a row. You can't run 12-14 mission days due to AFI restrictions on crew rest...12 hours between flights. If you ran 14+ hours missions with the same crews you'd only fly every other day.

imported_Burton
08-22-2009, 11:21 AM
This is right out of the AFECD:
3.2. Education. Completion of high school with courses in algebra, geometry, electronics and computer applications is desirable
AFPC should not be making this a requirement.

Buddy, if you only knew the hoops they have put me through. They made me submit my transcripts, then said they couldn't except them because they weren't official, but said I could give them the number to my high school and they could verify over the phone...wtf? So I gave them the phone number like that's official or something, and now they are saying that it's not a CCS AFSC and there are no retrain out quotas for my AFSC so I don't qualify...ARE YOU KIDDING ME? Does anyone know if this is actually a CCS AFSC or not?

T1N191-ISO
08-22-2009, 02:32 PM
CCS? AFSC...been around a few years but never heard of a "CCS" AFSC.

Rawful Kawpter
08-22-2009, 02:41 PM
CCS? AFSC...been around a few years but never heard of a "CCS" AFSC.

Chronic Critical Shortage.

These AFSCs are usually available for retraining and get a 20% bonus in WAPS. Not really sure how the 20% bonus gets applied, but suffice it to say the promotion rate in CCS AFSCs is higher than the AF average. The bonus is also by grade, so you can have a bonus for SrA testing for SSgt but not for SSgts testing for TSgt.

WALLY3430
08-22-2009, 03:00 PM
SRB's - The 1U0XX career field SRB's will mirror the 1N1 SRB's until the end of FY 11 at which time they will be reassesed based on retentions/separations. Initial 1U0XX cadre - the intial 1U0XX cadre will 150 curently qualified Predator/Reaper SO's from Creech-Holloman-Cannon officially in November. No answers yet as to new/retraining 1N1X1's being allowed to further convert into 1U0XX's. Flight Physicals - the GBC will continue to be used...hound your losing base flight medicine office since you will not start the flying phase of UAS training until your initial flight clearance started by them is complete. Basing - you're stuck with Creech-Holloman-Cannon for now. Deployments - yes, bu they are few and far between and usually filled by volunteers. CDC's - for now there are no CDC's for 5/7-levels. The Randolph course will grant the 3-level and the follow-on FTU course will grant the "mission capable" status. Been doing this job for 3 years and love it. For those of you coming into the field a couple of hints...study, study, study your course materials, the more you know the better and always remember "down is up and up is down".

Hope your right about the SRB---Randolph's retraining help line knows jack about that. (or anything else) Also, the SMSgt I spoke with indicated that the whole trig, alegebra, geometery is false. Are you saying "study, study, study" so we know more or are you saying that because the course is dripping with mathematical equations and is impossible to do well without serious study? Oh, I "heard" that occasionally the SO get pilot time themselves? Hmmm, maybe if my pilot needs to take a #2 while flying.......

T1N191-ISO
08-22-2009, 08:32 PM
Ok, got the Chronic Critical Shortage or CCS. It's not a 20% WAPS bonus it's actually a +4% promotion rate over the AF average. So if the AF rate to E-5 is 50% then fields like a 1N1X1 would promote 54%. SO's never log "pilot time". Although in one unique system config they can actually maneuver the AC by manipulating the autopilot settings under the ever watchful eye of the rated pilot. Study, Study, Study is because the FTU (Formal Training Unit) documents add up to a stack of paper about 10 inches thick all crammed into 52 days. No need to know trig/algebra/geometry, that's what the computers are for but it is written in the current AFECD. If your pilot needs to “download” a #2 he/she calls out a standby pilot for “relief”. SRB info straight from the HAF memo sent two weeks ago that's sitting on my desk.

Gunner7
08-24-2009, 12:07 PM
Buddy, if you only knew the hoops they have put me through. They made me submit my transcripts, then said they couldn't except them because they weren't official, but said I could give them the number to my high school and they could verify over the phone...wtf? So I gave them the phone number like that's official or something, and now they are saying that it's not a CCS AFSC and there are no retrain out quotas for my AFSC so I don't qualify...ARE YOU KIDDING ME? Does anyone know if this is actually a CCS AFSC or not?

The transcript problem should be handled. If they ask for more transcripts PM me. As far as the CCS goes, the retraining advisory notes for that AFS have not been published. No idea why but.....they will most lilkely add note 544 stating it is a CCS and should have an increased promotion multiplier of 1.2 Further it should show that ETPs to retrain out of "balanced" AFSCs will be entertained.

imported_Burton
08-25-2009, 07:19 AM
The transcript problem should be handled. If they ask for more transcripts PM me. As far as the CCS goes, the retraining advisory notes for that AFS have not been published. No idea why but.....they will most lilkely add note 544 stating it is a CCS and should have an increased promotion multiplier of 1.2 Further it should show that ETPs to retrain out of "balanced" AFSCs will be entertained.

So how about this then? This is the most recent message I received...
Good day,

For FY2010 NCORP PHASE I AFPC/Retraining makes the determination bases on hard to fill AFSC what will be the list of chronic critical shortage AFSCs regardless of code 544. Those that are not on the list provided are for people targeted who have to mandatory retrain or separate. If you still are interested in those AFSCs with 544 you would have wait until FY2010 NCORP Phase I is over which would be after the 20th of October.

What prompted them to send me that message was the fact that when they sent me the message saying I couldn't retrain into 1U they said I could only go into a CCS AFSC and they lncluded a list. Well I decided to check that list against the online retraining advisory and found there were actually an additional 10 AFSC's on the advisory with code 544 (CCS) next to them. I sent them a message asking how come I never get the complete skinny on anything from them and that was their response...sounds kind of fishy to me. My old Ops Officer PCS'd to Randolph HQ a few months ago and I finally am getting him involved to see if he can get me any answers because the mo mo's on the other end of the online portion don't seem to know a single thing, they are always coming up with some convenient excuse...And my Chief here said he knows the Chief there and would be more then willing to make some calls for me...any suggestions? I just feel like they are feeding me a lot of BS...

Gunner7
08-25-2009, 12:40 PM
So how about this then? This is the most recent message I received...
Good day,

For FY2010 NCORP PHASE I AFPC/Retraining makes the determination bases on hard to fill AFSC what will be the list of chronic critical shortage AFSCs regardless of code 544. Those that are not on the list provided are for people targeted who have to mandatory retrain or separate. If you still are interested in those AFSCs with 544 you would have wait until FY2010 NCORP Phase I is over which would be after the 20th of October.

What prompted them to send me that message was the fact that when they sent me the message saying I couldn't retrain into 1U they said I could only go into a CCS AFSC and they lncluded a list. Well I decided to check that list against the online retraining advisory and found there were actually an additional 10 AFSC's on the advisory with code 544 (CCS) next to them. I sent them a message asking how come I never get the complete skinny on anything from them and that was their response...sounds kind of fishy to me. My old Ops Officer PCS'd to Randolph HQ a few months ago and I finally am getting him involved to see if he can get me any answers because the mo mo's on the other end of the online portion don't seem to know a single thing, they are always coming up with some convenient excuse...And my Chief here said he knows the Chief there and would be more then willing to make some calls for me...any suggestions? I just feel like they are feeding me a lot of BS...

I would ask them to consider approving the initial request so you can start working on the ground based controller physical exam. I understand their need to quickly move people out of overage AFSC's but putting qualified people in training seats is pretty important too.

packfan1982
08-25-2009, 01:03 PM
I don't think that the retraining advisory gets compared/updated to the current CCS list very often. My career field, 1A3, isn't a CCS anymore but there is still the 544 code on there. There is also another code saying that I can only crosstrain into other 1A career fields, but my request got approved. Hopefully the manning situation in my squadron improves and my functional will release me in a couple of months.

I do get the impression that they don't always know what is going on down there at AFPC so I would just keep asking until they said yes. I submitted retraining requests once a month for over a year until this last one in June that got approved.

packfan1982
08-25-2009, 01:06 PM
I take that back apparently 1A3 is still on the list. Was told by my fuctional that we were no longer on that list... Guess they just got tired of me asking to retrain.

blk_out_gts
08-25-2009, 05:08 PM
Well theres alot to read on here and im working my way through it. From what i've read it looks like everyone that is looking into the 1U0X1 has been in for a while. well im currently in the DEP and this was on the list of jobs i can pick from. i was just wondering if anyone could tell me if theres anything in particular that someone thats just starting would be doing? im just trying to get more info on everything and to see what kind of demand they have for it..

thanks

Kahnc360
08-25-2009, 05:31 PM
Well theres alot to read on here and im working my way through it. From what i've read it looks like everyone that is looking into the 1U0X1 has been in for a while. well im currently in the DEP and this was on the list of jobs i can pick from. i was just wondering if anyone could tell me if theres anything in particular that someone thats just starting would be doing? im just trying to get more info on everything and to see what kind of demand they have for it..

thanks

Wow you lucked up man, I pray this job is on the list when I get to choose jobs. As far as asvab I qualify for everything, physical is what I'm waiting on now, I so want this job. I also have the same questions you have in regards to what you'll start off doing in this job and from what I hear its critically manned, so demand is high.

blk_out_gts
08-25-2009, 08:14 PM
Wow you lucked up man, I pray this job is on the list when I get to choose jobs. As far as asvab I qualify for everything, physical is what I'm waiting on now, I so want this job. I also have the same questions you have in regards to what you'll start off doing in this job and from what I hear its critically manned, so demand is high.

yeah i did get lucky i was the only one that put that job down sense it was put on the list. its only been up for about 3 weeks now..

imported_Burton
08-26-2009, 10:15 AM
I would ask them to consider approving the initial request so you can start working on the ground based controller physical exam. I understand their need to quickly move people out of overage AFSC's but putting qualified people in training seats is pretty important too.

They already approved my eligibility, it's my formal application they denied...

imported_Burton
08-26-2009, 10:22 AM
I don't think that the retraining advisory gets compared/updated to the current CCS list very often. My career field, 1A3, isn't a CCS anymore but there is still the 544 code on there. There is also another code saying that I can only crosstrain into other 1A career fields, but my request got approved. Hopefully the manning situation in my squadron improves and my functional will release me in a couple of months.

I do get the impression that they don't always know what is going on down there at AFPC so I would just keep asking until they said yes. I submitted retraining requests once a month for over a year until this last one in June that got approved.

Well, unless there is a more current CCS list then the one dated May 2009, there are a TON of AFSC's that are apparently CCS, 1N being one of them...In fact, the CCS list has AFSC's on it that the retraining advisory doesn't have listed as code 544. And...they "say" the online retraining advisory is supposed to be a "living" document which is constantly updated...so which is it? GET YOUR SH!T TOGETHER AND GIVE SOME TRUE INFORMATION FOR ONCE!!! The best part is that this all affects my career, not theirs...they could care less, but this stuff is life changing for some of us...it affects where I will be 10 years from now...they will still be idiots giving out the wrong information to some other schmuck just like me...

Mi11er
08-26-2009, 04:43 PM
LMFAO.... I love your enthusiasm... I can just see you freaking out as you type lol

Mi11er
08-28-2009, 04:44 PM
Anyone recieved a class date or anything? Or hell, even been approved for a class date yet? And if so fill us in on the lay out of the course and how its running.

CP0W3RZ
08-28-2009, 04:47 PM
Quit bumping this thread, go buy a remote control plane from Radio Shack and have your joygasim!

And by the way gl with the crosstrain, I need someone on the inside when I try and do it! :P

Mi11er
08-28-2009, 04:48 PM
If you werent 8 feet away from me right now I would completely just go off on you in this thread... but instead ...

CP0W3RZ
08-28-2009, 04:50 PM
OOWWW SHEET!!!! Nipple twists are against the Geneva Convention!!

WALLY3430
09-01-2009, 11:56 PM
Thread died....anyone on the NCORP? I'm still waiting for AFPC to tell me I"m eligible to apply! By the time I get my waivers and package in---the slots will be filled already. The Total Force Service Center told me that applying for a job is first come-first serve. Oh ya...and they look at packages alphabetically, so congrats those of you that have a last name starting with "A". Great system they have going...One more thing, the physical doesn't take up to 90 days---it takes about 3 hours. Now, it may take 90 days to get an appointment, but that all depends if your on good terms with the medics.

Gunner7
09-02-2009, 02:43 PM
Thread died....anyone on the NCORP? I'm still waiting for AFPC to tell me I"m eligible to apply! By the time I get my waivers and package in---the slots will be filled already. The Total Force Service Center told me that applying for a job is first come-first serve. Oh ya...and they look at packages alphabetically, so congrats those of you that have a last name starting with "A". Great system they have going...One more thing, the physical doesn't take up to 90 days---it takes about 3 hours. Now, it may take 90 days to get an appointment, but that all depends if your on good terms with the medics.

For those of you NCORP types interested in retraining that are not in an overage (targeted) AFS....For some reason the 1U0XX AFSC was not added to the list of specialities you could apply for. BTW the 1A811 AFSC is not hiring this year but the new 1A8X2 (ISR Operator) is hiring the list did not reflect this. If you received an auto reply to your initial retraining request and the list of available jobs does not show 1U0XX you should reapply and let them know your intent.

gamingspot401
09-02-2009, 02:59 PM
I don't know too much about the 1U0X1 field but I'm currently Enlisted Active Duty and work in aircraft maintenance. Anyways my question is, do Sensor Operators actually get the maneuver and use the drones themselves(destroying targets, doing surveillance, etc.) or do they play more of an assist role helping an actual pilot (Analyzing imagery, monitoring screens, etc.) I hope it's the former.

imported_Burton
09-03-2009, 07:05 AM
For those of you NCORP types interested in retraining that are not in an overage (targeted) AFS....For some reason the 1U0XX AFSC was not added to the list of specialities you could apply for. BTW the 1A811 AFSC is not hiring this year but the new 1A8X2 (ISR Operator) is hiring the list did not reflect this. If you received an auto reply to your initial retraining request and the list of available jobs does not show 1U0XX you should reapply and let them know your intent.

It's so funny that you should say that; I have received that "list" 3 times now and the first two times it did not include 1U, but the third time it did include it. Unfortunately, the list that did include it is on a different thread then my actual application. I sent them a message on my application thread and told them I received a list that did include it, hopefully they won't be chumps and will actually do some research and look into it so maybe my application will get approved. Has anyone gotten approved yet?

Gunner7
09-03-2009, 12:09 PM
It's so funny that you should say that; I have received that "list" 3 times now and the first two times it did not include 1U, but the third time it did include it. Unfortunately, the list that did include it is on a different thread then my actual application. I sent them a message on my application thread and told them I received a list that did include it, hopefully they won't be chumps and will actually do some research and look into it so maybe my application will get approved. Has anyone gotten approved yet?

I guess it will depend on who is helping you. The customer service reps are just reading from a script that is passed from the BPO. Hell if you shoved a waffle house menu in front of them they would offer you a scattered, smothered, covered, topped application. Bottom line is the 1UXXX is a very high interest item and they should handle it like a CCS.

backfromthedead3
09-09-2009, 02:15 PM
Hey guys new to the thread. I've recieved an eligibility reply and also have completed some of the physical requirements. You will need a class II dental, Ground base contollers physical, Eye exam (which includes depth perception, color vision, and red lense test), and finally your ACTUAL physical from Flight Medicine. I didn't do so HOT on the depth perception test. But the Doc said there is a waiver for everything. Also LABS will be ordered once Public Health reviews your medical records. Hopefully my flight experience and a waiver will compensate for depth perception. I mean I've held a Class I FAA Medical Certificate and flown a while in a Cirrus SR-20's. I'll be posting more next week. Has anyone else gotten any further with their package.

backfromthedead3
09-09-2009, 02:17 PM
Hey guys new to the thread. I've recieved an eligibility reply and also have completed some of the physical requirements. You will need a class II dental, Ground base contollers physical, Eye exam (which includes depth perception, color vision, and red lense test), and finally your ACTUAL physical from Flight Medicine. I didn't do so HOT on the depth perception test. But the Doc said there is a waiver for everything. Also LABS will be ordered once Public Health reviews your medical records. Hopefully my flight experience and a waiver will compensate for depth perception. I mean I've held a Class 1 FAA Medical Certificate and flown a while in a Cirrus SR-20. I'll be posting more next week. Has anyone else gotten any further with their package?

WALLY3430
09-09-2009, 04:59 PM
backfromthedead.....I too just confirmed eligibility and got my ground based controller physical accomplished. According to the AFI, there is "no standard" for depth perception. Meaning you don't need a waiver. I too had a physical done for my private pilots license---didn't have a problem---not sure why the AF does. I failed the depth perception at my GBC physical and had to point out to the medical examiner in the AFI that it stated "no standard". I had to get a waiver done up, so I'm waiting on that. Rule is, the flight doc is the initial screener for waivers. If it's something major you need waivered, they'll probably direct you to stay in your career field. Mine doc, set up an appointment with the appropriate specialty to have an eval done. Eval came back good as well as the rest of the physical. So, now I'm just waiting. If I were you, I would make sure the flight doc is looking at attachment 2 rather than 4---big difference. He thought I was applying to be a pilot or something. He wasn't supportive of the waiver until I explained what exactly sensor operators are. Good luck to ya and everyone else that applies! Make sure to pester the hell out of flight med!

Tango
09-09-2009, 06:38 PM
I was just confirmed eligible. I am a little concerned though...according to the retraining checklist all I need is a signed form from public health? I have asked about this, and have been assured it is all I need for this job at this point in the process. Seems like I am missing something here. Anyone else getting the same thing? When were you told to get the physical and eye tests?

WALLY3430
09-09-2009, 08:53 PM
I was just confirmed eligible. I am a little concerned though...according to the retraining checklist all I need is a signed form from public health? I have asked about this, and have been assured it is all I need for this job at this point in the process. Seems like I am missing something here. Anyone else getting the same thing? When were you told to get the physical and eye tests?

When you got your retraining eligibility, you should have been directed into "my stuff" on AFPC. At the bottom of your "status" page, you should have some attachments. I had two....exactly the same thing. It was all the things required to be on your AF Form 422---your medical clearance. Print that attachment and tell the medical folk you need to do a ground based controller physical---all the requirements are listed in that AFI. Once that is complete and your good to go....take your 422 from the doc and upload it into your retraining package. I also saw something that said you need a typing test of at least 20wpm. This is easy...go to typingtest.com. Do the test and print it out (if it's 20wpm or above). Include that copy in your package also. I just completed most of this--just waiting on my waiver to return. PM me if you have more questions. Let me clarify something....to see those attachments I was talking about, do this....Go to vMPF and click on Self Service Actions. Click "retraining" then click "Request Retraining". THEN, click on "Submit/Review Retraining Application". At the bottom of that page should be your attachments---at least, that's how mine is working anyway. Hope this helps.

WALLY3430
09-09-2009, 09:06 PM
I got some more specifics for you all......

Go into vMPF and click on "My Stuff". Login and you should see a few tabs on the screen. Mine has a list of all the questions I've asked the Total Force Help Center. The last one was basically my retraining eligibility. Here's the important stuff it said....

NOTE: ENSURE YOU READ EVERYTHING IN THIS MESSAGE TO AVOID DELAY IN COMPLETING YOUR PACKAGE:

Please complete the attached documents and submit with your retraining application. A retraining package is not considered complete unless all documents are received and Commander’s coordination is complete.

You must ensure that your AF Form 422, Physical Profile, states your x-factor, which indicates how much you are physically able to lift. Your Physical Profile must also state your eligibility for ALL medical requirements. Your Physical Profile must be dated within the last 12 months.

Also update your dreamsheet as well as your retraining application when you submit it to your Commander. This is NOT considered a BOP in conjunction with retraining. This process is handled by the Outbound Assignment section of your MPE.

Your Retraining documents are available for you to download via My Stuff. To ensure your identity is protected and in accordance with AFI 33-332, Privacy Act Program, the Air Force Contact Center will not transmit your social security number via email. To log on to My Stuff, use the following link:

It also said this.....

For AFSC 1U011:
- Eligibility for a secret security clearance according to AFI 31-501 is mandatory for award and retention.
- Completion of high school with courses in algebra, geometry, trigonometry, computer operations, and software application is desirable. Please provide a copy of your transcripts.
- The following must be stated on the 422:
~ Normal color vision as defined in AFI 48-123.
~ Ground Control Physical qualification for UAS Sensor Operator duty according to AFI 48-123 (attch2)
- Ability to type at a minimum of 20 words per minute is mandatory. (Typing Test)

imported_Burton
09-10-2009, 06:32 AM
Just got final approval and my status on vMPF upgraded to (5) awaiting class date...I GOT APPROVED FINALLY!!!! I'll check back and let you all know what's going on with it as best as I can...good luck...

Tango
09-10-2009, 01:45 PM
Thanks for the info...for some reason the only thing my 422 said I needed was a form from public health. I will try and get the other things on there anyway. The only thing I can figure is, I have passed those eye tests for the job I am in...maybe that is why it is showing "not needed"? Otherwise, no clue. Congrats Burton, looks like your hard work paid off!

Vonkirmit
09-13-2009, 12:07 PM
When you got your retraining eligibility, you should have been directed into "my stuff" on AFPC. At the bottom of your "status" page, you should have some attachments. I had two....exactly the same thing. It was all the things required to be on your AF Form 422---your medical clearance. Print that attachment and tell the medical folk you need to do a ground based controller physical---all the requirements are listed in that AFI. Once that is complete and your good to go....take your 422 from the doc and upload it into your retraining package. I also saw something that said you need a typing test of at least 20wpm. This is easy...go to typingtest.com. Do the test and print it out (if it's 20wpm or above). Include that copy in your package also. I just completed most of this--just waiting on my waiver to return. PM me if you have more questions. Let me clarify something....to see those attachments I was talking about, do this....Go to vMPF and click on Self Service Actions. Click "retraining" then click "Request Retraining". THEN, click on "Submit/Review Retraining Application". At the bottom of that page should be your attachments---at least, that's how mine is working anyway. Hope this helps.

What about the high school transcript?

Mi11er
09-14-2009, 02:57 AM
High school transcript is not needed... I finish all of my application on Tuesday and have been in contact with one of the Chiefs running this program and he has said all along it is not needed. AFPC has also told me numerous times it was not needed... I had to call and confirm after speaking with Burton and him being told it was needed. You only need the typing test, and the 422. However I was told by the head Aircrew recruiter at the Pentagon that adding the weight lifting portion might keep things from being held up since they might add it to the app. Not sure on that though since they havent asked me or Burton for it yet.

DontTellMeAboutCajun
09-14-2009, 09:04 PM
Gentlemen,

Hello to all :) First post here. I just took a swift punch in the gut today....about two months ago, my re-training package for 1N1X1 was approved, departing for tech school in December. I only put it for this field because it was the way to a SO seat, which I'm very excited about! I was told by our personnel in retraining that best estimate for 1U to come online was still 1/2 years away, so I thought I had plenty of time to train into 1N1 and get into SO. Oooh, wrong! Just found out today that 1U011 is online, has been for 3 weeks! I emailed AFPC to find out if it's too late to stop my package for 1N1 and re-initiate in 1U, but I doubt that's acceptable. Does anyone know? Also, does anyone know when they will stop taking SO's from 1N1? I'm freaking out over here, this is devastating!!! :(

Mi11er
09-14-2009, 10:13 PM
There is a post on here somewhere either in this thread or the 1N1 thread that talks about their timeline to stop taking SO's from the 1N1 course... take a peek at both and see if you can find it... And who knows, they need both badly so maybe they will allow your swap... everything is case by case when it comes to cancelling a retrain. Never hurts to ask in my opinion.

DontTellMeAboutCajun
09-14-2009, 10:24 PM
I skimmed through all posts here (will look in 1N1, thanks!), I must have missed it. I did see one that said it's not yet known how long they'll keep pooling from 1N1's....that scares me. It'd only be right that I'd make it 3/4's through 1N1 tech school, THEN they'd stop recruiting SO's.! I already emailed AFPC through my stuff, and basically explained what I've explained here. I can't imagine that'll make any difference to them, but I too think it's worth a shot. Heck, at this point I'll do damn near anything! I've been ecstatic up till now, this isn't happening!!! :o

Mi11er
09-14-2009, 10:43 PM
Still a good job to have though either way... they will both have great opportunities on the outside and you can even work hand in hand with eachother. But I know how you feel... you want that flight suit dont ya lol.... its so close you can taste it lol

Its all about the flight suit... :)

DontTellMeAboutCajun
09-14-2009, 11:25 PM
Lol, not particularly about the flight suit, that's just a perk to me :) I come from an aviation-oriented background, had my PPL for 7 years now. I can't get enough of computer flight sims, so I believe I'd fit quite comfortably into a SO seat! I've been reading as much as I can get my eyes on about UAV's and such, obviously not enough though since I just stumbled upon this thread today :) I've even contacted the flight chief of one of the FTU's over at Creech to get a first-hand POV....wow, it sounds unreal. I hope this isn't a bust for me......

Vonkirmit
09-15-2009, 12:23 AM
Gentlemen,

Hello to all :) First post here. I just took a swift punch in the gut today....about two months ago, my re-training package for 1N1X1 was approved, departing for tech school in December. I only put it for this field because it was the way to a SO seat, which I'm very excited about! I was told by our personnel in retraining that best estimate for 1U to come online was still 1/2 years away, so I thought I had plenty of time to train into 1N1 and get into SO. Oooh, wrong! Just found out today that 1U011 is online, has been for 3 weeks! I emailed AFPC to find out if it's too late to stop my package for 1N1 and re-initiate in 1U, but I doubt that's acceptable. Does anyone know? Also, does anyone know when they will stop taking SO's from 1N1? I'm freaking out over here, this is devastating!!! :(

It'sfunny you said that. I wanted to retrain into 1N1 but was denide becuse my career field(3P0X1) is "balanced" so I had to go for the next best thing.

Vonkirmit
09-16-2009, 01:21 AM
Has anybody heard anything about duty locations? Trying to fill out my dream sheet.

Mi11er
09-16-2009, 01:47 AM
Creech, Cannon, and Holloman......thats it for now

Gunner7
09-16-2009, 02:43 PM
I skimmed through all posts here (will look in 1N1, thanks!), I must have missed it. I did see one that said it's not yet known how long they'll keep pooling from 1N1's....that scares me. It'd only be right that I'd make it 3/4's through 1N1 tech school, THEN they'd stop recruiting SO's.! I already emailed AFPC through my stuff, and basically explained what I've explained here. I can't imagine that'll make any difference to them, but I too think it's worth a shot. Heck, at this point I'll do damn near anything! I've been ecstatic up till now, this isn't happening!!! :o

I heard the pipe for 1NXXX into 1U is closed. COuld you still go to Beal as a 1N? Loal-D you up?

DontTellMeAboutCajun
09-16-2009, 08:37 PM
Where did you hear? I sure hope not, though I can't imagine (if it is at all) it'll be that way for much longer.

imported_71mach1
09-16-2009, 09:38 PM

Howdy, I'm currently in 1N1 school right now, and yes they are still sending us to Creech and Cannon. We've been in school for a month now and all of the pipeliners already have their assignments(Creech, Langley, Osan) nothing for the prior service yet though.

Vonkirmit
09-17-2009, 11:51 AM
Howdy, I'm currently in 1N1 school right now, and yes they are still sending us to Creech and Cannon. We've been in school for a month now and all of the pipeliners already have their assignments(Creech, Langley, Osan) nothing for the prior service yet though.

Oh man I just got excited for a second there when I saw those bases and thought "yes there are other places we can go",and then I had to calm down read again and see that it is of course for the 1N1.

Gunner7
09-17-2009, 01:05 PM

Do you know if they are sending you as Payload Operators or Intel types? my understanding is that the Sensor Operators from now on will be 1Us

DontTellMeAboutCajun
09-17-2009, 04:34 PM
71mach1,

Good info, thanks for chiming in! Correct me if I'm wrong, but getting a SO seat as a 1N1 is a special duty, right? Also, how's it going to work for the 1N1's going into a SO seat now (i.e., you!)...are you going to adapt the 1U011 AFSC, or what? Please keep us posted on any new info, thanks man!!!

imported_71mach1
09-17-2009, 04:59 PM
Do you know if they are sending you as Payload Operators or Intel types? my understanding is that the Sensor Operators from now on will be 1Us

I'm a retrainee so I haven't received an assignment yet. The pipeliners going to Creech are going to a briefing today so I might hear some more info later.

SimplifyedCarrot
09-18-2009, 11:39 AM
What is all needed for the typing test? I took the 10 minute one on typingtest.com, but the certificate won't be here for another 2 weeks. I have all the medical stuff done already.

Gunner7
09-18-2009, 11:59 AM
What is all needed for the typing test? I took the 10 minute one on typingtest.com, but the certificate won't be here for another 2 weeks. I have all the medical stuff done already.

I have seen a Mavis Beacon certificate and a TypingMaster on line certificate do the trick. As long as you can hit 20 WPM you are good. Hell, an earthworm in a sleeping bag could type that.

InMySights
09-18-2009, 01:30 PM

All you have to do is print out the sheet from typingtest.com and put your name on it and send it with all your other stuff. I too am retraining and I called AFPC and that is what they told me to do.

Gunner7
09-18-2009, 01:55 PM
All you have to do is print out the sheet from typingtest.com and put your name on it and send it with all your other stuff. I too am retraining and I called AFPC and that is what they told me to do.

Here is the link to the typing test: http://www.typingtest.com/

backfromthedead3
09-18-2009, 02:35 PM
Finally! I have my Physical with Flight Med on Oct. 2. It is my understanding that we have until 20 Oct. to get in our applications, if you are in NCORP. I saw the retraining advisory #'s going down a bit. Wait for me! Hey when I get ready to send in my App. can I send in extra stuff (i.e flight experience, FCC certificate) anything else that could better help me out? Thanks guys.

InMySights
09-18-2009, 02:38 PM
Does anyone have any good numbers to get in touch with Creech to ask them questions? Anyone know what the deployment rate is for the SO's?

InMySights
09-18-2009, 02:40 PM
Finally! I have my Physical with Flight Med on Oct. 2. It is my understanding that we have until 20 Oct. to get in our applications, if you are in NCORP. I saw the retraining advisory #'s going down a bit. Wait for me! Hey when I get ready to send in my App. can I send in extra stuff (i.e flight experience, FCC certificate) anything else that could better help me out? Thanks guys.

Yeah, I got mine on the 28th of Sept, do you know what is involved with this physical? I know the vision, but anything else?

InMySights
09-18-2009, 02:42 PM
And yet another question, do you have to get a TS and if so, then when can we start that application.

Gunner7
09-18-2009, 03:24 PM
And yet another question, do you have to get a TS and if so, then when can we start that application.

This is from the current Retraining Advisory Notes from AFPC:

TOP SECRET CLEARANCE BASED ON SBI REQUIRED FOR DUTY IN THIS AFSC; SUBMIT REQUIRED DOCUMENTS TO MEMBER'S UNIT SECURITY MANAGER WITHIN 10 DAYS OF RECEIPT OF RETRAINING APPROVAL

InMySights
09-18-2009, 03:31 PM
Is this after the initial approval to cross train or after cross training has been fully approved?

InMySights
09-18-2009, 03:32 PM
Gunner7, are you a SO right now?

Gunner7
09-18-2009, 03:37 PM
Yeah, I got mine on the 28th of Sept, do you know what is involved with this physical? I know the vision, but anything else?

You can find the AFI here: http://www.e-publishing.af.mil/shared/media/epubs/AFI48-123V3.pdf
You should be able to get a completed 422 from the hospital relatively quickly. I have heard of some MTFs getting the Combat Control (Class III IFC) requirement mixe dup with the GBC.
Make sure they annotate your x-factor (weight lifted) on the 422 as well. Attachment 4 of the AFECD shows the requirement.

AFI48-123V3 5 JUNE 2006 27
Attachment 2
MEDICAL STANDARDS FOR GROUND BASED CONTROLLER DUTY
A2.1. Conditions in AFI48-123V2, Attachment 2, Medical Standards for Continued Military Service
also apply. For conditions listed in AFI48-123V2, Attachment 2, ensure an MEB has been performed
and final disposition made prior to submission of a waiver request.
Applicability. The standards in this attachment apply to all ground based aircraft controller (GBC)
including air traffic controllers, weapons controllers, combat controllers/directors, sensor operators
and ground based operators of man-portable, non-weapon delivering small UAV (MP-UAV)
unless other AFSC specific standards apply. Combat Controllers (AFSC 1C5X1D) must also meet
the FC III requirements in Attachment 4 and the parachute duty requirements in Attachment 5.

NOTE: You Do NOT need depth perception to become a 1U0XX

Gunner7
09-18-2009, 03:45 PM
Gunner7, are you a SO right now?

Nope, I chat with a bunch of them though.

Gunner7
09-18-2009, 03:53 PM
Is this after the initial approval to cross train or after cross training has been fully approved?

When you submit the initial request to retrain, AFPC does a quick check to see if you are tentatively qualified and there are quotas open. They reply with a list of hoops to jump through...physical exam, typing test, retest on ASVAB if necessary etc. When you submit all the supporting documents they will tell you the application is complete and bump an e-mail to your CC asking if you are a decent person. Only after a series of boards (CAREERS) or selection (NCORP) by the Business Process Owner (AFPC Retraining) will you get a training rip. Then you need to get the retainability to accept the retrain and initiate the TS clearance.

SimplifyedCarrot
09-18-2009, 07:50 PM
I'm currently in Afghanistan and I will be here until around January. Do you think I'll be able to retrain into this AFSC? How many classes are they going to have every year?

Went ahead and submitted a copy of the results page from my typing test with my other documents. It's currently at the CC level.

Gunner7
09-18-2009, 08:10 PM
I'm currently in Afghanistan and I will be here until around January. Do you think I'll be able to retrain into this AFSC? How many classes are they going to have every year?

Went ahead and submitted a copy of the results page from my typing test with my other documents. It's currently at the CC level.

They will be retraining about 50-70 people per year, the classes will also have a bunch of folks from BMTS in there as well. Why not try to apply for where you are at? The folks at Persco should be able to help with the on line application and the physical might be handled at the deployed location. It can't hurt to try and it would be nice to see the folks on the road get the same chance as others to retrain.

DontTellMeAboutCajun
09-18-2009, 08:59 PM
To update, holy flippin' hell!! AFPC switched my retraining AFSC from 1N1x1 to 1U011 today!!! I can't believe it, but they were completely understanding and said they will make the switch for me :) :) :) I'm ecstatic!

Gunner7
09-18-2009, 11:11 PM
To update, holy flippin' hell!! AFPC switched my retraining AFSC from 1N1x1 to 1U011 today!!! I can't believe it, but they were completely understanding and said they will make the switch for me :) :) :) I'm ecstatic!

Terriffic news!!! The fact is when you applied for the 1N1 position their AFECD entry showed the UAS SO duties as theirs. I think it is awesome they did the right thing. Have your CSS pull a SURF Monday to ensure the projected retraining AFSC is 1U0X1.

SimplifyedCarrot
09-19-2009, 08:34 AM
They will be retraining about 50-70 people per year, the classes will also have a bunch of folks from BMTS in there as well. Why not try to apply for where you are at? The folks at Persco should be able to help with the on line application and the physical might be handled at the deployed location. It can't hurt to try and it would be nice to see the folks on the road get the same chance as others to retrain.

I actually submitted all my paperwork and it's at my CSS back home right now. Our flight doc here got in contact with Public Health back home, so the medical portion was actually really easy. Got 1's across all categories and they made sure to annotate the X Factor and GBC. I'm just hoping classes don't fill up before I make it home!

imported_Burton
09-19-2009, 09:31 AM

I've been in Iraq for almost 6 months now and I started everything here and am currently in awaiting class seat status right now for 1U. You should be able to get everything done and being deployed shouldn't affect you getting accepted.

jonmac75
09-23-2009, 12:45 AM
I was approved today. I put the request in yesterday! Im currently a dental tech "TSgt" 13yrs. I just wanted to add to the forum so that everyone sees that all Amn are elgible, even a dental guy. It should only take a week to get the 422 updated, usually the longest wait would be the Flight doc signing off. I think anyone could probably type 20 words per min or maybe I'm being optimistic, we'll see.

jonmac75
09-23-2009, 02:17 AM
I also forgot to mention. My innitial approval mentional nothing of an exam. The only thing i need to do is my typing test and color vision...

My Retraining Package checklist "The PDF file your able to print" list several as in 10 pre req's but only 2 are checked, Im assuming these are the only 2 I need to do, especially because the 10th one says a copy of the 'PAST' test. This paticular test is only for PJ's,CCT, TACP...AKA Special forces...Am I reading this wrong?

Mi11er
09-23-2009, 02:24 AM
The only thing that should be needed is your 422... stating that you passed the GBC physical... depth perception, and normal vision I believe. You also need the 422 to state your X factor of G (40lbs) and you need to take a typing test which you can do at the education center, which states you can type 20 wpm or more.

As for knocking it out fast... good luck. Granted Im at Lackland but I just completed the entire thing and it has taken me 3 months. Getting into Flight Medicine is not an easy task unless you already are assigned to them. I am also a Tech that got picked up and out of Security Forces at that...

Awaiting my 422 and then the package goes up... and its about damn time.

Mi11er
09-23-2009, 02:26 AM
It looks like they have finally figured out the process on how they want to run this retraining crap up at AFPC at least for this AFSC. Myself and Burton have been jumping through hoops for 3 months... he finally got approved and I am almost there... hopefully they can keep it simple and stop giving everyone different info.

Oh and Burton... you owe me a Beer some day... connections are a beautiful thing lol

Mi11er
09-23-2009, 02:31 AM
Oh... and BLAH....

Had to hit Brass LOL yay me

jonmac75
09-23-2009, 03:09 AM
Maybe you two made it easier for the rest of us? My instructions stated nothing about the GBC physical, there is also nothing about the depth perception...only normal color vision...Indeed you guys made it easier. Ive been through this before when I applied for CCT, I submitted all the pre req's and they said"No quotas for TSgt----2 months later" this was after they excepted my Exception to Policy Letter...LOL!

jonmac75
09-23-2009, 03:11 AM
So...Has anyone recieved a class date or perhaps we could all be the 1st class to go through???

imported_Burton
09-23-2009, 08:00 AM
So...Has anyone recieved a class date or perhaps we could all be the 1st class to go through???

The last time I was able to check my status I was still in "awaiting class seat" status. Of course that was a few days ago and of course now my CAC won't read in the CAC reader and being in Iraq, the ID card machine is down so who knows since I can't get on to vMPF...BUT...I think I could end up being in this status for a while...

Gunner7
09-23-2009, 12:47 PM
I also forgot to mention. My innitial approval mentional nothing of an exam. The only thing i need to do is my typing test and color vision...

My Retraining Package checklist "The PDF file your able to print" list several as in 10 pre req's but only 2 are checked, Im assuming these are the only 2 I need to do, especially because the 10th one says a copy of the 'PAST' test. This paticular test is only for PJ's,CCT, TACP...AKA Special forces...Am I reading this wrong?

You readi it right....sad to say some folks have been taking language tests, interviewing with career field reps, swimming, because they did not understand you only need to accomplish the checked items on the list. Does anyone have a connection at the hospital that could say what level of approval is needed for the GBC physical. Is it local or does it have to go to MAJCOM?

Tango
09-23-2009, 06:56 PM
Are you saying the GBC physical is not needed?

Gunner7
09-23-2009, 06:58 PM
Are you saying the GBC physical is not needed?

Its needed but I have heard of some folks getting it knocked out in two weeks and others waiting over a month for a MAJCOm SG stamp. I understand a waiver taking a little extra but the GBC only calls for a 422 right?

SimplifyedCarrot
09-23-2009, 07:01 PM
The GBC should actually just be a records review IAW the medical AFI. That is how Public Health handled it for me. Submitted it, so we'll see if Public Health was correct. They seemed to know what they were doing with this AFSC.

InMySights
09-23-2009, 07:01 PM
A GBC is needed, but it is not a flight physical. I have my records being reviewed right now and they are telling me that by the end of the week I will have mine. I am keeping my fingers crossed. You have to have normal depth, color, and the X-Factor stated. As long as you don't have any cronic or mental issues it should go through quickly. That is what the TSgt at Public Health told me.

InMySights
09-23-2009, 07:04 PM
How long did it take for you guys to hear from AFPC that you were awarded the 1U AFSC from the time you submitted your formal application. Has anyone out there recieved a class date yet? How long did it take to get orders? Also, when are we going to find out where we are going and which UAV we will be operating?

Gunner7
09-23-2009, 07:59 PM
A GBC is needed, but it is not a flight physical. I have my records being reviewed right now and they are telling me that by the end of the week I will have mine. I am keeping my fingers crossed. You have to have normal depth, color, and the X-Factor stated. As long as you don't have any cronic or mental issues it should go through quickly. That is what the TSgt at Public Health told me.

The requirement for depth perception has been removed from the AFECD. It was a mistake putting it in there in the first place. If you have a problem with them insisting on the Depth Perception have them consult the CFM and they can provide the guidance

InMySights
09-23-2009, 08:07 PM
eh...no worries anyhoo, I have to have it to be a crane operator for Egress, so it is already stated in my records! Can't freaking wait to get this thing going!

InMySights
09-24-2009, 07:30 PM
So anyone gotten any orders yet? I just spoke with some guys down in Holloman and the first Reaper class starts the first part of Oct and graduates around Christmas, maybe I can get all my stuff pushed through to get into the next class!

Vonkirmit
09-24-2009, 08:05 PM
So anyone gotten any orders yet? I just spoke with some guys down in Holloman and the first Reaper class starts the first part of Oct and graduates around Christmas, maybe I can get all my stuff pushed through to get into the next class!

Are they still going to Randolph first then Holloman or has all the training moved to there.:confused:

InMySights
09-24-2009, 08:16 PM
No there are still the 21 days down in Randolph.

TUF FNG
09-24-2009, 08:44 PM
I just found out I got approved to Retrain... jumped straight from status 3 to status 6, come to find out the loaded me in the wrong class. They had me going to Bioenvironmental Engineering school. Still waiting for them to correct.

ScoobyGSX
09-24-2009, 10:01 PM
Staff Select CE troop here..trying to retrain into 1U0. I'm just waiting to see the flight doctor for my physical; the earliest they could see me though is October 19th. Gayyy. Meanwhile there's only 17 SSgt slots still open...if there's no slots open by the time I submit my final application, I'm gonna be pissed. I've been trying for about the past 3 years to get out of CE. Since my job's neither overmanned nor undermanned, I can only retrain into a chronic critical shortage field; Sensor Operator's about the only one that really interests me. I would try for 1A4 also but there's only 8 (I think) SSgt slots open.

So anybody know any tricks to have the doc see me sooner? heh.

Bry279
09-25-2009, 05:23 AM
Just wondering if anyone knows what a Class II Ground Physical is composed of? I am getting it scheduled tomorrow and was just curious if anyone knew on here that has been through it. Also does anyone know the deployment rate of this AFSC? Doesn't matter to me just curious hope I get this submitted by next week. Thanks

Gunner7
09-25-2009, 11:17 AM
Staff Select CE troop here..trying to retrain into 1U0. I'm just waiting to see the flight doctor for my physical; the earliest they could see me though is October 19th. Gayyy. Meanwhile there's only 17 SSgt slots still open...if there's no slots open by the time I submit my final application, I'm gonna be pissed. I've been trying for about the past 3 years to get out of CE. Since my job's neither overmanned nor undermanned, I can only retrain into a chronic critical shortage field; Sensor Operator's about the only one that really interests me. I would try for 1A4 also but there's only 8 (I think) SSgt slots open.

So anybody know any tricks to have the doc see me sooner? heh.

What base are you at? The Ground Based Controller Physical is not that involved (record review). I would not set the appointment by phone, I would show to the hospital and start working your interpersonal magic on those folks. Give them a good reason to want to help you. Let them know you would be willing to fill short notice if there is a cancellation.

InMySights
09-25-2009, 02:43 PM
Well, good news...hopefully today is the day my package gets submitted!!!!

ScoobyGSX
09-25-2009, 06:34 PM
What base are you at? The Ground Based Controller Physical is not that involved (record review). I would not set the appointment by phone, I would show to the hospital and start working your interpersonal magic on those folks. Give them a good reason to want to help you. Let them know you would be willing to fill short notice if there is a cancellation.

I'm at Andrews..I guess they only have maybe two flight surgeons, so that's why the earliest they can see me is the 19th. I told them to give me a call if anybody cancels, so we'll see what happens.

So 21 days at Randolph..does anybody know how long the training with the UAV pilots is?

Also, when exactly do you need to get your Commander's authorization to retrain? After they approve your final package?

Vonkirmit
09-25-2009, 06:38 PM
I'm at Andrews..I guess they only have maybe two flight surgeons, so that's why the earliest they can see me is the 19th. I told them to give me a call if anybody cancels, so we'll see what happens.

So 21 days at Randolph..does anybody know how long the training with the UAV pilots is?

Also, when exactly do you need to get your Commander's authorization to retrain? After they approve your final package?

You should see if youwould be able bringe your records to Bolling and get it taken care of there..

Bry279
09-25-2009, 06:58 PM
I'm currently stationed at Kirtland AFB. I talked to the right people today. They said they have already pushed people through with the same career 1U0X1 and all I need is color test. I have to wait though becuase VMPF only gave me a checklist and no other documents and supposedly they were suppose to. IDK I am already confused but I wrote AFPC to see where this other physical form is. Thanks

Can anyone confirm what they actually got from AFPC when the request came back as good. What files were attached??

SimplifyedCarrot
09-25-2009, 07:21 PM
They should have given you a checklist as well as a medical checklist that has everything needed for the physical.

Any FTAs get picked up yet? If so, how long did it take to get approved?

TUF FNG
09-25-2009, 07:41 PM
I'm currently stationed at Kirtland AFB. I talked to the right people today. They said they have already pushed people through with the same career 1U0X1 and all I need is color test. I have to wait though becuase VMPF only gave me a checklist and no other documents and supposedly they were suppose to. IDK I am already confused but I wrote AFPC to see where this other physical form is. Thanks

Can anyone confirm what they actually got from AFPC when the request came back as good. What files were attached??

I am at Kirtland as well, I just got approval the other day, if you want send me a message and I can see if I can help get your stuff through.

ScoobyGSX
09-25-2009, 07:42 PM
You should see if youwould be able bringe your records to Bolling and get it taken care of there..

That actually sounds like a great idea, I did not think about that. Flight Medicine is gone for the day, so I will have to see if that'd be possible on Monday.

Retraining advisory shows there's now only 14 SSgt slots open..two days ago it was at 19. So I'm thinking if I have to wait until October 19, there's no way there's gonna be any slots open. Lame. I may have to wait until next year's quotas come out.

Gunner7
09-25-2009, 08:14 PM
That actually sounds like a great idea, I did not think about that. Flight Medicine is gone for the day, so I will have to see if that'd be possible on Monday.

Retraining advisory shows there's now only 14 SSgt slots open..two days ago it was at 19. So I'm thinking if I have to wait until October 19, there's no way there's gonna be any slots open. Lame. I may have to wait until next year's quotas come out.

Keep pressing forward, they will add about ten more slots soon.

Gunner7
09-25-2009, 08:16 PM

I think you can pull the application up in "my stuff" and see any attached documents you need for the application.

Jumper5
09-25-2009, 08:43 PM

Any chance there will be some more TSgt slots added?

My physical is scheduled for Oct 15th.

ScoobyGSX
09-25-2009, 08:49 PM

If so that's awesome news, but where are you hearing this from? Is it fact or just a guess?

Bry279
09-26-2009, 07:52 AM
I am at Kirtland as well, I just got approval the other day, if you want send me a message and I can see if I can help get your stuff through.

Check your inbox on here I gave you some contact info for me. Thanks for any help.

SimplifyedCarrot
09-26-2009, 12:06 PM
Gunner7, do you know what the washout rate is looking like? Saw the first class graduated with 5 airmen.

Bry279
09-27-2009, 12:00 AM
I'm curious whether they'll add more TSgt slots too...

Gunner, how do you know they'll be adding "about 10" slots for SSgt?

It's down to 8 for TSgt, and I'm on a waiting list for my physical because they're "all booked up". I was told that the physical "takes all day" and they only schedule one per day at my base because they have only one flight surgeon doing these physicals. Kind of messed up in my opinion on how their priorities are set. Until now I haven't given much thought about seeing if I could get scheduled at another base close by. It would be worth taking leave to get it done somewhere else. I'll be emailing and making some phone calls. I actually think it would be an insult to them (my base) if I go get it done at another base, but that's probably the kick they need to understand how important this really is to our careers.

Thats so weird, the POC that I talked to at Kirtland tells me that he has done 3 on my base so far and it doesn't require anything more than a color test. So I am wondering why everyone has to do this physical???

ScoobyGSX
09-27-2009, 12:47 AM
Thats so weird, the POC that I talked to at Kirtland tells me that he has done 3 on my base so far and it doesn't require anything more than a color test. So I am wondering why everyone has to do this physical???

My Class III Physical is scheduled for October 19th..I was required to go to the lab to have blood drawn & tested, including a urine sample. Then I had to go to radiology & have my chest x-rayed. Then a dental checkup was required, & finally a hearing test. From what I understand, they use all those tests/info along with your medical records at Flight Medicine to determine if you're fit for the job. I was told it takes between 1.5 - 3 hours to complete the physical.

InMySights
09-27-2009, 03:18 AM
Folks, I got my Ground Control physical done in 3 hours, all it requires is a records review! I got on the horn with my Public Health office and they pushed it through. I submitted my package on friday so we will see what happens and how long the next step takes!

InMySights
09-27-2009, 01:42 PM
Nope, not pencil whipped. A flight doc does need to review your records, but according to the AFI nothing more needed. It may be because in my PHA I do cover everything that is needed. I would re-engage with Public Health. Read the AFI also.

Bry279
09-27-2009, 04:30 PM
Nope, not pencil whipped. A flight doc does need to review your records, but according to the AFI nothing more needed. It may be because in my PHA I do cover everything that is needed. I would re-engage with Public Health. Read the AFI also.

Yea prob same for me. My job I go through hearing tests vision test etc annually so maybe this is why I only am required a color test?

USxLYCAINxAF
09-27-2009, 11:43 PM
Hi, just found this thread the other day. I am a FTA and I applied for the job on the 11th and havnt heard anything yet. Saw the Ssgt spots are going quick. Has anyone found a list of bases authorized for this AFSC? I checked AMS and all that comes up is Randolph. My wife did some research and told me she read in the AF times that Hurlburt, Nellis, and Beale were some of the bases I could go to so I put those on the application. Id hate to not get the job because I have the wrong bases. Can someone enlighten me on were this AFSC can go?

InMySights
09-28-2009, 12:38 AM
Unfortunately those listed are not correct. The Hulbert Field assignment is not for UAV SO operators, different job altogether as far as I know, and Beale is slated, but not for a bit. Nellis is close, but it is at Creech AFB. The only other assignments are Canon and Holloman. I talked to the school house in Holloman and they are sending about 75% to Creech and very little to Canon and as it is a Spec Ops unit up there and keeping a few there.
Did you apply for authorization or did you receive that already and actually put in your cross training application. Once you get authorized to cross train they will give you a check list of stuff to do. Once all that is done and you put in your application, that is where you will put the assignments you desire, of those three listed.

USxLYCAINxAF
09-28-2009, 02:07 AM
Thanks for the info. I have already applied for the job. I figured since AMS didn't have anything but Randolph listed, it was still up in the air as to where we could be stationed. I added the 3 bases I mentioned to the application, so I guess the next step is to see if I can get it changed. AFPC was little to no help, every question I asked it seems I got an automated response that didn't even answer my question. Besides, it seems like they are filling the Ssgt spots first. I will be very disappointed if I don't get the job just because they did not update the assignment list in AMS.

Bry279
09-28-2009, 02:24 AM
Thanks for the info. I have already applied for the job. I figured since AMS didn't have anything but Randolph listed, it was still up in the air as to where we could be stationed. I added the 3 bases I mentioned to the application, so I guess the next step is to see if I can get it changed. AFPC was little to no help, every question I asked it seems I got an automated response that didn't even answer my question. Besides, it seems like they are filling the Ssgt spots first. I will be very disappointed if I don't get the job just because they did not update the assignment list in AMS.

As far as I know Creech, Cannon, and Holloman are what you are looking at. I am sure though however there will be many to come in the future as this is a new afsc.

Gunner7
09-28-2009, 11:29 AM
Gunner7, do you know what the washout rate is looking like? Saw the first class graduated with 5 airmen.

I have not heard. Not sure if they had a full class going in. As they transition from 1N1s and a few 1A doing the job there might be a few missed training spots.

Gunner7
09-28-2009, 11:36 AM
[QUOTE=bigmarko;283278]I'm curious whether they'll add more TSgt slots too...

Gunner, how do you know they'll be adding "about 10" slots for SSgt?

Call it a hunch, they will not just go to the SSgts. The ten will spread across FTA, SSgt ans TSgt.

Bry279
09-28-2009, 07:45 PM
Finally got the correct paperwork from AFPC. All that was required for me was normal color vision, and they said in 3 duty days I will have paperwork for that to submit to AFPC in my package.

TUF FNG
09-28-2009, 08:15 PM
Has anyone received a class date yet? Do we know when they should be pushing them out?

Villegasm
09-28-2009, 08:26 PM
Hello Folks,

I am also applying to retrain into this exciting career field, did you guys see the news on af.mil today? They have graduated 9 pilots and 10 so's.
For the physical exam portion, our public health insist that a FCIII must be done, oh yeah according to new AFI 48-123 dated 24 Sep 09, there is no longer attch 2, it specifically says FCIII for SO, unless CFM change it to just basic test. I am trying to get clarification from AFPC via "ask a question" but you know how that goes. It's too bad the AF do not realize that there are plenty of people interested in this supposedly chronic critical shortage AFSC's. Does anyone know the CFM for this career field?

Bry279
09-28-2009, 08:39 PM
Hello Folks,

I am also applying to retrain into this exciting career field, did you guys see the news on af.mil today? They have graduated 9 pilots and 10 so's.
For the physical exam portion, our public health insist that a FCIII must be done, oh yeah according to new AFI 48-123 dated 24 Sep 09, there is no longer attch 2, it specifically says FCIII for SO, unless CFM change it to just basic test. I am trying to get clarification from AFPC via "ask a question" but you know how that goes. It's too bad the AF do not realize that there are plenty of people interested in this supposedly chronic critical shortage AFSC's. Does anyone know the CFM for this career field?

Let me know what you find out. I have asked this question 3x to the gentleman who takes care of this stuff on my base he says only Normal color vision as of now (maybe for me?) is required for this career. He has already processed three others from this base as I said before. I wish guy that is on my base on this forum would clarify for me.

Public Health on my base and AFPC gave me paperwork only for normal color vision test. So we will see how screwed up this gets for me ;-) If i don't get it I will try to retrain into intel when my actual retrain period comes up. (FTA = me) Since this career is new I am sure they are just working out the kinks.

Cheers

Here is the link to the story for everyone to read. Looks to be a tough but challenging course hope I get in!

http://www.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123169844

Gunner7
09-28-2009, 08:44 PM
Hello Folks,

Please read the extract below from 48-123 (24 Sep 09) --you might want to point out page 115 of the new instruction to the folks at the flight clinic and have them take a gander. CFM (CMSgt Allen) won't be able to teach the hospital folks to read their instructions.
God help us....

Section 6I— Ground Based Aircraft Controller
6.46. Ground Based Aircraft Controller Medical Standards. The standards in Section 6I apply to all ground based aircraft controllers which includes air traffic controller, weapons controllers/directors, combat controllers and Aerospace Control and Warning Systems (1C5X1), Tactical Air Control Party (1C4X1), Air Liaison Officer (13LX) and UAS sensor operators (1UOX1). Conditions in Chapter 5, Continued Military Service (Retention Standards) also
116 AFI48-123 24 SEPTEMBER 2009
apply. For conditions listed in Chapter 5, ensure an MEB has been performed and final disposition made prior to submission of a waiver request.
Combat Controllers must meet the FC III requirements in Section 6G and the parachute duty requirements in Section 6K (6.48.2.) Air Battle Managers, Air Weapons Controllers/Directors, and Airborne sensor operators required to perform frequent and regular aerial flights must also meet Flying Class III standards in Section 6G. Pararescuemen must also meet standards in Section 6K.

USxLYCAINxAF
09-28-2009, 08:47 PM
I have already put my application in. All I neede was my High School transcrips, A typing test (atleast 20 words per min), A form 422 that states normal color vision, depth perception, and the X- factor (need to be able to lift 40 lbs over your head), and a signed Statement of understanding they send with your checklist. My first application was sent back because I did not have the X-factor test done. Medical said the job wasnt coded for it but I went back and had the test done on the spot.

Villegasm
09-28-2009, 08:49 PM
Bry279,

Yea, I did mentioned to AFPC the fact that there are inconsistencies in the requirements, and you know what they did, just copy and paste the requirements that they originally sent me. Very vague answers really, you should ask the person that is helping you if he is aware of the updated AFI 48-123. I would not give up if you are seriously interested in getting in this AFSC, I am sure they will be needing more people with the expansion of UAV missions.

InMySights
09-28-2009, 08:51 PM
CALL, CALL, CALL...that question stuff is so not personal. Get on the horn and call someone!!!! That has worked wonders for me!

Gunner7
09-28-2009, 08:53 PM
I have already put my application in. All I neede was my High School transcrips, A typing test (atleast 20 words per min), A form 422 that states normal color vision, depth perception, and the X- factor (need to be able to lift 40 lbs over your head), and a signed Statement of understanding they send with your checklist. My first application was sent back because I did not have the X-factor test done. Medical said the job wasnt coded for it but I went back and had the test done on the spot.

Thats great but as of right now you do not need the high school transcripts or depth perception, the x-factor information is located in attachment 4 of the AFECD.

Villegasm
09-28-2009, 08:58 PM
Hey Gunner7,

Thanks for replying, the person helping me out in public health highlighted this for me in the paragraph above "Airborne sensor operators required to perform frequent and regular aerial flights must also meet Flying Class III standards in Section 6G" and she insisted I needed FCIII. "Airborne sensor operator" same as just "sensor operators"? I don't think So's are required to perform frequent aerial flight?

USxLYCAINxAF
09-28-2009, 08:59 PM
Thats great but as of right now you do not need the high school transcripts or depth perception, the x-factor information is located in attachment 4 of the AFECD.

Wow, you would think AFPC would have thier act together. For me, the Transcrips were the hardest to get. I've been out of school for 10 years, didn't think they would be relevant.

Gunner7
09-29-2009, 11:36 AM
Hey Gunner7,

Thanks for replying, the person helping me out in public health highlighted this for me in the paragraph above "Airborne sensor operators required to perform frequent and regular aerial flights must also meet Flying Class III standards in Section 6G" and she insisted I needed FCIII. "Airborne sensor operator" same as just "sensor operators"? I don't think So's are required to perform frequent aerial flight?

The person at the hospital "helping" you has convinced herself that you will be flying. Hence the class III physical. The good news is that we can help this individual dislodge her head from its present location. The 1A4XX career field is Airborne Operations and certain individuals in the AFS perform sensor Operator duties on the AC-130, further the MC-12 has a requirement for a SO. This AFS requires members to perform their duties in flight so they need the class III. The 1UXXX folks are sensor operators but they do not fly and are not career enlisted aviators so they only require the ground based controller physical described in section 6I. I am a little concerned that the new AFI (pg 58, para 6.9) calls for them to document changes in medical qualification on the AF Form 1042. This is the same form used for the Class III (and others) and may be causing some of the confusion.

InMySights
09-29-2009, 03:08 PM
Who all here is under the NCORP program? If you are not, listen up!!! If you were not identified as an overage under the official NCORP Program you will not be considered until this program closes out at the end of October! If you do want to be considered you have to get an Exception to Policy letter signed by your CC.

Gunner...any help or advise on this?

ScoobyGSX
09-29-2009, 03:49 PM
I read a few pages back that NCORP have until October 20th to apply? Is this true? My physical isn't until October 19th..my job is, I believe, neither overmanned nor undermanned. So we have just enough people. Should I even bother continuing on with the application process? It's hard to differentiate between fact & heresay in here.

Gunner7
09-29-2009, 04:50 PM
I read a few pages back that NCORP have until October 20th to apply? Is this true? My physical isn't until October 19th..my job is, I believe, neither overmanned nor undermanned. So we have just enough people. Should I even bother continuing on with the application process? It's hard to differentiate between fact & heresay in here.

NCORP phase I will end 20 Oct and phase II will start. For those folks who were identified as needing to find a new job in phase I, phase II will be the time when the AF helps them make a decision. That is when non vols to retrain in overage career fields transition to a "select for retraining" status and will be shoved into a need of the AF career field. For folks who are not in an overage AFS but want to retrain you will be able to continue the process. It will most likely require a "balanced" AFS waiver but is not hard to do. Just remember they will only work waivers that fill critical skills positions. If you have any more questions please ask, there are a bunch of smart folks on this thread.

Bry279
09-29-2009, 06:11 PM

See thats the biggest problem with this forum. No one person in here seems to know for sure what is required when something is happening etc... I would have to say go for it keep trying to get what you need done. If it wasn't meant to be it wasn't meant to be you know? I still don't understand what this stupid physical everyone is saying they need. I went into public health with the letter stating I need color vision (which I do) and they said give them 3 days to pull my file and write what they need for me to submit. This forum is confusing me more and more. So finally today I wrote AFPC on exactly what this AFSC MUST require stating I need a good solid answer becuase on the Request application it says Make sure your clinic knows you need a Class II ground physical and my clinic says thats a bunch of crap. Public Health at Kirtland AFB says they have done 3 retraining letters for this AFSC and nowhere does it say we need a physical of any sort.

This is what is on my application:
For AFSC 1U011:
- Eligibility for a secret security clearance according to AFI 31-501 is mandatory for award and retention.
~ Ground Control Physical qualification for UAS Sensor Operator duty according to AFI 48-123 (attch2)
- Ability to type at a minimum of 20 words per minute is mandatory. (Typing Test)

Here is the AFI off of EPUBS to just if anyone is interested
http://www.e-publishing.af.mil/shared/media/epubs/AFI48-123.pdf

Gunner7
09-29-2009, 06:26 PM
See thats the biggest problem with this forum. No one person in here seems to know for sure what is required when something is happening etc... I would have to say go for it keep trying to get what you need done. If it wasn't meant to be it wasn't meant to be you know? I still don't understand what this stupid physical everyone is saying they need. I went into public health with the letter stating I need color vision (which I do) and they said give them 3 days to pull my file and write what they need for me to submit. This forum is confusing me more and more. So finally today I wrote AFPC on exactly what this AFSC MUST require stating I need a good solid answer becuase on the Request application it says Make sure your clinic knows you need a Class II ground physical and my clinic says thats a bunch of crap. Public Health at Kirtland AFB says they have done 3 retraining letters for this AFSC and nowhere does it say we need a physical of any sort.

This is what is on my application:
For AFSC 1U011:

Bry279,
I understand your frustration, if you have not worked a retraining application before you might be surprised to learn that AFPC, the Medical folks and the CFM may not be on the exact same page when it comes to qualification. If you read up on the current guidance in the 24 Sep 09 version of 48-123 (Does not have an attachment two) you will see part of the revision was inclusion of physical standards for the 1U0XX AFS (Ground Based Controller Physical para. 6I) The reason you are seeing us chat about it here is that while AFPC retraining may process the application without the right forms 422/1042, you will end up paying the price later if it is found that you are not fully qualified for the position.

Bry279
09-29-2009, 06:31 PM
Bry279,
I understand your frustration, if you have not worked a retraining application before you might be surprised to learn that AFPC, the Medical folks and the CFM may not be on the exact same page when it comes to qualification. If you read up on the current guidance in the 24 Sep 09 version of 48-123 (Does not have an attachment two) you will see part of the revision was inclusion of physical standards for the 1U0XX AFS (Ground Based Controller Physical para. 6I) The reason you are seeing us chat about it here is that while AFPC retraining may process the application without the right forms 422/1042, you will end up paying the price later if it is found that you are not fully qualified for the position.

Yes I completely understand thank you for giving me a way to show that I DO need this to be completed. Thank you!

Why I did not see this I don't know:

The more I read this though it just seems like more normal PHA that I get every year anyhow???

Gunner7
09-29-2009, 06:49 PM
Yes I completely understand thank you for giving me a way to show that I DO need this to be completed. Thank you!

Why I did not see this I don't know:

The more I read this though it just seems like more normal PHA that I get every year anyhow???

It is pretty much with a requirement to check color vision. The 1042 allows them to manage your status so if you get sick they can DNIC (duties not involving controling) you. Though not flying you will be part of a crew responsible for the safe operation of the aircraft. They don't want you half lit on nyquil showing to work.

Bry279
09-29-2009, 07:00 PM
It is pretty much with a requirement to check color vision. The 1042 allows them to manage your status so if you get sick they can DNIC (duties not involving controling) you. Though not flying you will be part of a crew responsible for the safe operation of the aircraft. They don't want you half lit on nyquil showing to work.

So Gunner have you been through this whole process already? Are you going into this AFSC? I just need to know what I must tell this public health civilian to get him to understand that not only do I need a color vision test, but also A Class II Ground Physical...

Thanks for all your help. Sorry that I am so lost. Have never submitted a retraining package.

Gunner7
09-29-2009, 07:23 PM
So Gunner have you been through this whole process already? Are you going into this AFSC? I just need to know what I must tell this public health civilian to get him to understand that not only do I need a color vision test, but also A Class II Ground Physical...

Thanks for all your help. Sorry that I am so lost. Have never submitted a retraining package.

Nope, I have helped with a few retraining applications though. It has gotten better from the complete cluster fuck that it used to be. Please do not reference a Class II physical to the hospital folks they will freak out completely. The Class II U is for the UAS "pilots" and is not for the sensor operators. The sensor operator will need the ground based aircraft controller physical as described in Section 6I on page 115 of 48-123. The reference requiring use of the 1042 is on page 58 paragraph 6.9. Let us know how it turns out so we can help the other folks reading this thread.

InMySights
09-29-2009, 07:30 PM
Gunner, So how can AFPC require people to force cross train when they have people volunteering for Critical AFSC's

Bry279
09-29-2009, 07:34 PM
Nope, I have helped with a few retraining applications though. It has gotten better from the complete cluster fuck that it used to be. Please do not reference a Class II physical to the hospital folks they will freak out completely. The Class II U is for the UAS "pilots" and is not for the sensor operators. The sensor operator will need the ground based aircraft controller physical as described in Section 6I on page 115 of 48-123. The reference requiring use of the 1042 is on page 58 paragraph 6.9. Let us know how it turns out so we can help the other folks reading this thread.

Thanks Gunner you rock! I will let you guys know my travels on this...

Gunner7
09-29-2009, 08:23 PM
Gunner, So how can AFPC require people to force cross train when they have people volunteering for Critical AFSC's

Thats the dilemma AFPC retraining has every year when they look at moving people around. Each AFS has an authorized and assigned number. Say for example the 3S0XX community needs to drop 200 folks into different jobs. They notify them of their vulnerable status and the search begins. If you are one of the "targeted" folks you have to identify a new AFS with retraining in objectives and then try to determine if you are qualified. ASVAB scores, security clearance, and physical exam results may be a player in your qualification for the job. Most of the chronic critical specialities are volunteer only, regardless of what category of enlistment or phase of NCORP you are in. If PJ/CCT SERE, CEA UAS-SO etc. only accept volunteers the Phase II portion of the NCORP will not yeild any additional bodies as those folks are unwilling/unqualified to retrian in. The AFECD and retraining advisory notes show what AFSCs have a volunteer statement associated and also show the qualifications associated with the AFS. You should also know that certain hard to fill jobs (traditionally Mech and Elec area) may not have retraining out objectives but contain feeder AFSCs for chronic critical jobs. The 2MOXX and 2AXXX are feeders for Flight Engineer. So we are competing for talent internally. If we take 134 volunteers from the 2AXXX career field to fill FE slots there is a good chance some NCOs from the MPE may be forced into an Aircraft MX job to backfill. This is where the true force shaping takes place. Its where we try to find the right people for the right job at the right time.

TUF FNG
09-30-2009, 03:41 PM
Did everyone see the Wings they designed for the UAS Pilots?

Here's the story: http://www.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123170151

Here's a link to a picture of them: http://www.afblues.com/images/wings%20little.jpg

Just thought ya'll would like to see them.

Villegasm
09-30-2009, 05:55 PM
I'm with you on this one Gunner7, I spent about 45 minutes reading a medical AFI (48-123), and honestly it isn't that complicated but you have to know the different AFSC's as well as the AFECD. FCI, FCII and FCIII are physical exams for officers/enlisted that have a flying duty i.e. boom operators, AWACs control and such. UAV sensor operators (1U) are totally different from airborne sensor operators (1A), ground based versus airborne based. That is why the only thing that 1U0X1 needs for entry is the standard that is in section 6I (GBC) and chapter 5(medical retention for active duty) of AFI-48-123, nothing else, nothing more. If you were a combat controller, pararescue then it is a different story. This is not a job that requires the member to be inside an aircraft doing his/her normal duties, rather, it's a support duty for the pilot on the ground who is actually controlling the unmanned aircraft, you support by looking at images and assisting the pilot on additional task, you will not be flying it because you are enlisted. The AF is spending millions of dollars training pilots, I don't see AF spending millions of dollars training someone on how to fly remote control planes. I hope I can convince our public that the only I need is 422 with required statement and maybe 1042. I will let you guys know.

Gunner7
10-01-2009, 07:53 PM
Gunner, do you know how long after the physical it will take to get official or finalized results? Or is it immediately official, so I can submit my package with what paperwork I'm given that day?[/QUOTE]

Chatted with one of the folks at AETC SG today. The ground based aircraft controller physical does not need to be sent to MAJCOM for approval unless there is a waiver involved. I would expect a MTF could route and certify the physical in three weeks.

Gunner7
10-02-2009, 12:52 AM
Thanks Gunner7 for the info and response, I appreciate it. 3 weeks-ouch! Guess I will see how fast it will happen... I came to realize I was the first to go to public health at my base about getting a physical for UAS sensor operator. I hope I can help straighten it out for the others behind me, as I was told they have now receiving more retraining physical requests/questions for 1U0X1 here. Sure hope they add more slots too.

I think it will be a total of ten additional slots spread between FTA, SSgt and TSgt. The growth of this AFS is critical as the boss tries to get to 50 caps. As with any job requiring advanced training there are only so many seats. Classroom limitations, and available instructors/airframes will drive how many people get through the pipe each FY. New FTA slots will drop in Feb/Mar and then another NCORP drop in Aug of 10. The cycle never ends and it looks like it will be that way for a while.

ScoobyGSX
10-02-2009, 12:20 PM
Gunner, do you know how long after the physical it will take to get official or finalized results? Or is it immediately official, so I can submit my package with what paperwork I'm given that day?

Chatted with one of the folks at AETC SG today. The ground based aircraft controller physical does not need to be sent to MAJCOM for approval unless there is a waiver involved. I would expect a MTF could route and certify the physical in three weeks.

3 weeks..wwwwwwow. :( With my physical scheduled for October 19th, I don't think I'll be able to submit my NCORP package until probably middle to late November...& by then I'm sure they'll already have forced other people into being a UAV sensor operator...people who didn't want to get out of their job in the first place. Wish there was a way I could tell them I'm doing everything I can to get the job & to hold a slot open for me! Guess I'll have to wait until next August though..FML. haha.

Oh, & AFPC didn't even tell me anything about needing an ETP to retrain out of my job, since it's balanced. I had to find that out from reading these forums. Then I asked them, & they confirmed it. So to Gunner & everybody else answering questions, just wanted to say thank you. :cheers:

Gunner7
10-02-2009, 12:42 PM
Well, I'm hoping it happens for me now, as it may be a one time opportunity for me. If my physical goes well and my application gets approved, I will try to NOT make MSgt this upcoming cycle, as I may lose future retraining orders if I make rank. For me, retraining may be the difference between staying in the minimum 20 years, or staying in as long as I can if I love my career (and there is definetly no "love" between me and aircraft maintenance). We'll see I guess!

Making MSgt after the fact will not hurt your retraining attempt. A MSgt could apply as an ETP to take a TSgt slot thaks to advisory note 504. The 1U0XX AFS is starting out as a Critical Skill so waivers/ETPs will be entertained.

Gunner7
10-02-2009, 01:05 PM
3 weeks..wwwwwwow. :( With my physical scheduled for October 19th, I don't think I'll be able to submit my NCORP package until probably middle to late November...& by then I'm sure they'll already have forced other people into being a UAV sensor operator...people who didn't want to get out of their job in the first place. Wish there was a way I could tell them I'm doing everything I can to get the job & to hold a slot open for me! Guess I'll have to wait until next August though..FML. haha.

Oh, & AFPC didn't even tell me anything about needing an ETP to retrain out of my job, since it's balanced. I had to find that out from reading these forums. Then I asked them, & they confirmed it. So to Gunner & everybody else answering questions, just wanted to say thank you. :cheers:

Hang in there, they will probably treat the 1U0XX slots like CEA and PJ/CCT and only accept volunteers. Another bit of good news is that if you don't need a waiver the GBC physical can be approved locally and in one instance I saw today can turn as quick as a week.

USxLYCAINxAF
10-02-2009, 02:32 PM
Am I missing something? I have already applied for a 1U0 spot and my physical took maybe 20 mins. All they need is the vision tests and the X-Factor. It took about 3-4 days to update my 422. That is all AFPC told me was required. Everything was reviewed by AFPC before they would submit it.

Gunner7
10-02-2009, 02:55 PM
Am I missing something? I have already applied for a 1U0 spot and my physical took maybe 20 mins. All they need is the vision tests and the X-Factor. It took about 3-4 days to update my 422. That is all AFPC told me was required. Everything was reviewed by AFPC before they would submit it.

Well.....it seems that a lot of the clinics have a different read on what's needed. I have read the AFI and know for a fact they need to complete a 1042 but it is not a flying class III exam. AFPC is not up to speed on the new AFI just yet but I would imagine when the CFM for the 1U0XX AFS learns folks are not showing to school with the right documents it will change. Do not trouble AFPC with this infomation right now, let them continue to process your application as is. Read section 6C of AFI 48-123 (page 58) and when you are confident that you can explain the material within, have a chat with the friendly professionals at the hospital. You should not expect a warm reception from them especially if you are not wearing scrubs as you chat about your "discovery" in the AFI. If it gets really ugly PM their contact info and I will help. When the 1042 gets sorted out you can scan and attach to your retraining application later and all will be well.

SimplifyedCarrot
10-02-2009, 02:56 PM
I'm at the point where AFPC reviews your application after your commander approves it. I got a message today that said: "I am not able to process your request without your medical clearance a ground control physical for a UAS Sensor operator." Well I originally attached my 422 that says "Medical record reviewed IAW AFI 48-123 Vol.2-A.2 and member is cleared for retraining" Does it or does it not say that I am cleared for retraining according to the AFI? I sent a reply to say that that is the GBC clearance, so hopefully it goes through. Might need to bother Public Health to rewrite it so it's AFPC-friendly.

WALLY3430
10-02-2009, 02:57 PM
Spoke to the Total Force Help Center for a related question. They ended up telling me that all 10 slots for TSgt have already been filled. Great....take it for what it's worth---considering the source.

Gunner7
10-02-2009, 03:09 PM
Spoke to the Total Force Help Center for a related question. They ended up telling me that all 10 slots for TSgt have already been filled. Great....take it for what it's worth---considering the source.

Seven TSgt slots are still in the advisory. Did the person you chatted to sound drunk?

The following is from the AFPC Retraining site:

Denied Retraining? Your AFSC balanced?

During FY10 NCORP Program, members that are not serving in a targeted AFSC or are now in a balanced AFSC can only apply for the following AFSC's, until further guidance from our superintendents:

1A011

1A111

1A211

1A311

1A411

1A611

1A812

1C211 (CONUS members only)

1C311

1C411

1C511(ETP required)

1N411

1T011 (CONUS members only)

1T211 (CONUS members only)

3E812 (FTA and SSgt’s only)

1U011

1W012

2A3X3B (ETP required)

2A5X1 (ETP required)

2A5X3A (ETP required)

2A5X3B (ETP required)

2A5X3C(ETP required)

2A5X3D(ETP required)

3S311 (ETP required)

Note: ETP (Exception to Policy)

IAW AFI 36-2626 para 3.11

**Guidance for your ETP can be found on the Tongue and Quill. **

Second-term/Career Airmen: Please visit the Retraining Advisory on AFPC Secure to view quotas. First come, First Serve based to those who qualify.

WALLY3430
10-02-2009, 05:30 PM
Figures the info was bogus...seems everything that comes from TFHC is like that. Regardless, I continuing with package as usual.

Villegasm
10-02-2009, 06:13 PM
I wish AFPC would see this forum, if they actually care for the people who are trying to shape their career. I'm sure the only thing they really care are just numbers and filling slots, they don't care about the applicants. I wished I still had the copy of the FY 09 HQ brief about retraining that states somewhere along the line of "reduced processing time from 9 mos to 120 days while treating each applicant with urgency and respect, I say B/S.