PDA

View Full Version : Sensor Operator Retraining (1U0X1)

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

redd
12-04-2009, 08:27 PM
I'm a FTA. The 5 Mar class is gonna be awesome with everyone one else from Team Charleston.

FFRy- Does it seem to you like alot to do in a short amount of time? With the holidays & ALS, we really don't have much time....

ffry
12-04-2009, 08:37 PM
No we don't and it sucks. I hate that I was put in ALS, I had leave scheduled to go up to Pennsylvania and now that's canned.

redd
12-04-2009, 09:23 PM
Me too. I was gonna meet my hubby in Ramstein after not seeing him for 8 months, but it's all good though. No worries i'll see him later.

TUF FNG
12-04-2009, 10:31 PM
Are any of the guys from the first class at Randolph yet? If so how is the lodging? Where are you eating? How are the instructors?

Silver Fox
12-04-2009, 10:33 PM
Are any of the guys from the first class at Randolph yet? If so how is the lodging? Where are you eating? How are the instructors?

What do you care? You're a tuf fng, you can handle it. :D

Needtoretrain
12-04-2009, 11:09 PM
Wow Thats awesome that there are 3 other people that have 5March including myself. Is everybody flying or driving? For those of you who are going to ALS at least you'll have something to preoccupy yourselves until it's time to leave for school.Unlike me, I have to keep on doing SF duties. Can't wait to leave!!!

redd
12-04-2009, 11:19 PM
Driving!!!

ffry
12-05-2009, 02:09 AM
Driving. I can't wait to get back to San Antonio and actually see the place. First tech school was in San Angelo and well, not much out that way. I'm suprised the cops let you go, didn't you all have a shortage? No offense either but you guys do have a crap job, probably even worse than Fire Dept. I never really understood the whole Cops vs. FD thing anyway, anytime we competed, you guys always won by shear numbers. I was once told it's never a fair fight with a cop because there should be like 3 cops to 1 person. I guess that's why I just never try to piss a cop off, I respect you guys whether your SF or civillian.

Needtoretrain
12-05-2009, 02:57 PM
Driving. I can't wait to get back to San Antonio and actually see the place. First tech school was in San Angelo and well, not much out that way. I'm suprised the cops let you go, didn't you all have a shortage? No offense either but you guys do have a crap job, probably even worse than Fire Dept. I never really understood the whole Cops vs. FD thing anyway, anytime we competed, you guys always won by shear numbers. I was once told it's never a fair fight with a cop because there should be like 3 cops to 1 person. I guess that's why I just never try to piss a cop off, I respect you guys whether your SF or civillian.

I own two cars but only one of them is reliable enough to make it to Texas and my wife has to stay with that one since she;s going to be taking care of the kids. The other one isn't reliable so that is why i;m gonna fly down. All of us cops know we have the shittiest job in the AF. Although some aspects of the job is important the amount of hours we put in doing absolutely nothing is very irritating and I can't wait to get the hell out of this career field! There is only a shortage on shreds such as Canine and CATM (weapons instructor) I would never do either of them. I've been stationed at minot for almost 5 years now and I can't stand it anymore. I'm going to be very motivated for this Tech school because I definitely don't want to return to this crappy ass job. I'm a FTA so that's why I think I got picked up.

ffry
12-05-2009, 04:20 PM
Good thinking on your part. I hear you on being motivated too. I either plan to study or workout. Maybe kick back on the weekends and see some sights I coulnd't while in basic but that's about it. Congrats too on getting of of Minot.

BigBaze
12-05-2009, 05:17 PM
Pretty good job..I think they are offering it to peopel who fail out of the flight engineer tech school in Lackland (BFE) One of my buddies made it through the school but hurt his knee at SERE and they offered him the sensor job...it is something I am considering if I get tired of flying someday...it is going to be the future of warfare...

redd
12-06-2009, 11:48 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMh8Cjnzen8

Thought it was cool.... Cant friggin wait!!

Needtoretrain
12-07-2009, 01:17 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMh8Cjnzen8

Thought it was cool.... Cant friggin wait!!

Awesome video! this one actually went in depth . See ya in march!!!

redd
12-07-2009, 02:06 AM
I know March cant get here fast enough. Where you trying to get station? Did you put your BOP yet?

Needtoretrain
12-07-2009, 03:42 AM
I know March cant get here fast enough. Where you trying to get station? Did you put your BOP yet?

I'm in the process of doing that right now, Randolph is trying to update it for me, but i'm putting Holloman as #1 and Creech as #2...What about you?

redd
12-07-2009, 09:35 AM
Creech number one, holloman two.

BigPapaC
12-07-2009, 06:32 PM
Fiendaar
Recruit Join Date: Dec 2009

Re: Sensor Operator Retraining (1U0X1)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I guess I'm considered NCORP, though I'm in a balanced AFSC and had to do the whole exception to policy letter as a volunteer. Second term SSgt coming from Charleston. Went status 5 on 20 Nov and status 6 on the 23rd.

Can you send me a copy of your exception to policy letter?? brian.crook@offutt.af.mil

myc1034
12-07-2009, 06:45 PM
Fiendaar
Recruit Join Date: Dec 2009

Re: Sensor Operator Retraining (1U0X1)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I guess I'm considered NCORP, though I'm in a balanced AFSC and had to do the whole exception to policy letter as a volunteer. Second term SSgt coming from Charleston. Went status 5 on 20 Nov and status 6 on the 23rd.

Can you send me a copy of your exception to policy letter?? brian.crook@offutt.af.mil
This is off of the AFPC website

"Denied Retraining? Your AFSC balanced?

During FY10 NCORP Program, members that are not serving in a targeted AFSC or are now in a balanced AFSC can only apply for the following AFSC's, until further guidance from our superintendents:

1A011

1A111

1A211

1A311

1A411

1A611

1A812

1C211 (CONUS members only)

1C311

1C411

1C511(ETP required)

1N411

1T011 (CONUS members only)

1T211 (CONUS members only)

3E812 (FTA and SSgt’s only)

1U011

1W012

2A3X3B (ETP required)

2A5X1 (ETP required)

2A5X3A (ETP required)

2A5X3B (ETP required)

2A5X3C(ETP required)

2A5X3D(ETP required)

3S311 (ETP required)

Note: ETP (Exception to Policy)

IAW AFI 36-2626 para 3.11

**Guidance for your ETP can be found on the Tongue and Quill. **

Second-term/Career Airmen: Please visit the Retraining Advisory on AFPC Secure to view quotas. First come, First Serve based to those who qualify. ""

Needtoretrain
12-07-2009, 07:00 PM
FFRY or REDD

Have you initiated your Top Secret investigation? or are we suppose to wait till we get to Techschool?

Fiendaar
12-07-2009, 07:16 PM
I would get it started as soon as you can. From what I've been told it can take several months or longer to get your TS. I got the worksheet today from my unit security manager and it's 26 pages long. You don't want to be doing busy work at your first assignment because you don't have a TS yet and they won't even let you in the room.

ScoobyGSX
12-08-2009, 04:53 AM
Gunner7, I don't suppose they're going to be adding any new slots any time soon, are they? It's been about a month & a half since my physical was completed, but Public Health still doesn't have it done yet. There's only 9 SSgt slots left..!

Gunner7
12-08-2009, 12:16 PM
Gunner7, I don't suppose they're going to be adding any new slots any time soon, are they? It's been about a month & a half since my physical was completed, but Public Health still doesn't have it done yet. There's only 9 SSgt slots left..!

The next release of slots will be in February. These positions are for the First Term Airmen. Second term slots will come out in the NCORP in August. I don't expect them to load any other slots out of cycle as training capacity is a limfac. That sounds like a long time to be waiting on a GBAC. Call the hospital and ask for an update, the fact is if they actually sent it to MAJCOM SGPS it should be back in a week or so if you don't need a waiver. Most of the time the local hospital does not close the exam out locally in a timely fashion but blames the SG for the delay. Bad news for them is PEP/AMWITS tracks when it was submitted and if any documents were missing. If you have any prolems e-mail the CEA recruiter at the Pentagon and he will energize them.

Jumper5
12-08-2009, 01:13 PM
Any word on the timeframe for a TSgt with an ETP application from a balanced field to move from a 3 to a 5?

Yeah, I know that officially it is something like 90-120 days.

Gunner7
12-08-2009, 01:26 PM
Any word on the timeframe for a TSgt with an ETP application from a balanced field to move from a 3 to a 5?

Yeah, I know that officially it is something like 90-120 days.

If they get Phase II knocked out it could be as little as three weeks. Until then expect about five to six.

ScoobyGSX
12-08-2009, 04:07 PM
The next release of slots will be in February. These positions are for the First Term Airmen. Second term slots will come out in the NCORP in August. I don't expect them to load any other slots out of cycle as training capacity is a limfac. That sounds like a long time to be waiting on a GBAC. Call the hospital and ask for an update, the fact is if they actually sent it to MAJCOM SGPS it should be back in a week or so if you don't need a waiver. Most of the time the local hospital does not close the exam out locally in a timely fashion but blames the SG for the delay. Bad news for them is PEP/AMWITS tracks when it was submitted and if any documents were missing. If you have any prolems e-mail the CEA recruiter at the Pentagon and he will energize them.

Public Health called me this morning..they got the paperwork back from AETC saying I'm qualified, so now they have to get the flight doc to sign everything off. He's on leave this week...so she said she has to find out if she can get somebody else to sign off; otherwise I'll have to wait yet another week.

Wow August..haha I dunno if I can wait that long. CE HVAC is getting retarded. I need out ASAP! Frowny face.

WALLY3430
12-08-2009, 04:22 PM
WALLY,

Is there an update on anything? Did you graduate AFC and have you started BSOC??? hows everything goin???Also, do you submit your BOP before you go to BSOC or during BSOC. I know that you submit a BOP in the retraining application but can still submit another one when you in techschool or what??? When do you find out what base your going to? After FTU do you go to Creech or Holloman?? Gunner if you have an input on this it would be much appreciated..

Yep, graduated AFC----cake. In second week of BSOC now---a little more difficult, but still cake. If you requested to get this job, then you probably WANT to do it whcih makes learning much easier. We did a BOP sheet our first week of class. We will receive our assignments around 2 weeks prior to BSOC graduation.

BSOC is a nice course. Billeting is right next to class, which is right next to DFAC. You really don't need your POV at all while your here. The class itself is interesting and we have a good instructor. Very mellow atmosphere in class, which makes learning a lot easier. It helps to have a class full of priors too, so you don't have to worry about issues with non-priors.

WALLY3430
12-08-2009, 04:27 PM

Lodging is better than Kelly or Lackland. Bigger rooms and you don't share a bath room. DFAC is literally like 30 steps away from my room. Instructors are cool.

Skunk Face
12-08-2009, 05:04 PM
Kind of hard to beat kelly's $66 a day . :)

WALLY3430
12-08-2009, 08:47 PM
Kind of hard to beat kelly's $66 a day . :)

While you're at Lackland....yes. When you get to Randolph for BSOC, I wouldn't plan on staying at Kelly. In fact, our BSOC instructors made reservations at Randolph Inn FOR us prior to us graduating AFC.

ffry
12-09-2009, 12:21 PM
Needtoretrain- No I haven't recieved anything about the TS yet. I'll talk to someone about this thought so I'm not lagging behind.

Needtoretrain
12-09-2009, 02:30 PM
Needtoretrain- No I haven't recieved anything about the TS yet. I'll talk to someone about this thought so I'm not lagging behind.

The reason why I was asking is because on the AF Retraining Advisory notes says that once you receive approval you need to contact your Unit Security Manager to initiate you TS within 10 days of notification. I got approved last month and I barely went to my USM yesterday to start the process and he had no problem with it. He said that he needs to send some type of paper to the clinic and after he gets it back from the hospital then I'll start to fill out the forms. If you have a Secret like I do, everything is going to be identical on your forms all you have to do is just answer "yes" "no" questions.

ffry
12-09-2009, 02:54 PM
Thanks I'm getting this started today.

Gunner7
12-09-2009, 03:13 PM
Was anybody required to accomplish an X-Ray for the GBAC physical? I learned it is not required but some people were asked to accomplish it. If you did and it was not for qualifying for a different job (Class III for a flying job) let me know what base ordered it.

WRX88
12-09-2009, 04:46 PM
New to this fourm, thanks to all who have put good information out there! My wife and I were required to get an x-ray on on Vandenberg, this was the only job we put. I do have one question for you Gunner7. I'm a FTA that is a SSgt, my package went up already and I was wonder if I was going to be selected would it be SSgt slot or FTA and for my wife she is a FTA but with a line number how would she be counted for FTA or SSgt?

Needtoretrain
12-09-2009, 04:53 PM
New to this fourm, thanks to all who have put good information out there! My wife and I were required to get an x-ray on on Vandenberg, this was the only job we put. I do have one question for you Gunner7. I'm a FTA that is a SSgt, my package went up already and I was wonder if I was going to be selected would it be SSgt slot or FTA and for my wife she is a FTA but with a line number how would she be counted for FTA or SSgt?

WRX

I'm also a FTA SSgt and I went up against FTA. SO, you and your wife will be selected under FTA.

WRX88
12-09-2009, 04:54 PM
See we are getting so many different messages. So people say SSgt slot and some say FTA slots. Did AFPC tell you that?

ffry
12-09-2009, 05:05 PM
I didn't even have a 1042 for the job and by some miracle I haven't heard anything back or had my class cut. But I have a weird physical every year and I have had chest X rays for an OHA. Sorry not much help.

Needtoretrain
12-09-2009, 05:14 PM
See we are getting so many different messages. So people say SSgt slot and some say FTA slots. Did AFPC tell you that?

Yes. Because when you submit your application you are under CAREERS not NCORP. AFPC will automatically put you up against FTA because you ARE a FTA regardless of you RANK. You will go through a different process of selections. YOu will go up against a BOARD once a month for three months if your not chosen you first or second time. Have you submitted your application yet?

Needtoretrain
12-09-2009, 05:19 PM
I didn't even have a 1042 for the job and by some miracle I haven't heard anything back or had my class cut. But I have a weird physical every year and I have had chest X rays for an OHA. Sorry not much help.

I extremely suggest that you get started on your 1042 right now if you havent done so. It takes between 1 - 2 months to get seen by the flight doctor. You need your 1042 in order to attend AFC.

WRX88
12-09-2009, 05:20 PM
I want up to the Nov board, they told me that I will go up to three boards and be treated like a FTA but I would be count under a SSgt slot.

Gunner7
12-09-2009, 05:58 PM
I want up to the Nov board, they told me that I will go up to three boards and be treated like a FTA but I would be count under a SSgt slot.

They are full of shit. They have to coordinate with the career field manager if they try to pull a second term (NCO) slot over to a FTA and vice versa. FTA and NCOs are approved under two different pograms careers and NCORP. I really doubt you could get the same answer out of two "experts" at AFPC.

ffry
12-09-2009, 07:32 PM
I've tried the whole 1042 deal with my clinic and they won't let me do it. Believe me I want all my ducks in a row to make sure I have no hang ups. I've even talked to AFPC several times about it and they said I don't. So if it is a problem I will make sure someone's ass gets chewed for holding up my training. I save emails.
There seems to be too much b/s between AFPC and the clinics in my opinion. I even kicked my flight med a copy of the rip that says the ground physical is for operators of smaller than Pred sized UAVS. Apparrently they know better. Like I said though I save all my traffic.

WRX88
12-09-2009, 08:01 PM
Thanks for the info Gunner7 I talk to my wife and I guess AFPC and our base Career advisor gave her some bad info. I just call AFPC and they confrimed what you said and what I thought all along, it just sucks that retraining is this hard and confusing! I'm suprise how different each base handles what exams you need and what forms you get and the time frame it takes to complete. At Vandenberg I got everything in four weeks to incudle the 1042. I think someone needs to have a AFSO21 event on this.

Gunner7
12-09-2009, 08:07 PM
I've tried the whole 1042 deal with my clinic and they won't let me do it. Believe me I want all my ducks in a row to make sure I have no hang ups. I've even talked to AFPC several times about it and they said I don't. So if it is a problem I will make sure someone's ass gets chewed for holding up my training. I save emails.
There seems to be too much b/s between AFPC and the clinics in my opinion. I even kicked my flight med a copy of the rip that says the ground physical is for operators of smaller than Pred sized UAVS. Apparrently they know better. Like I said though I save all my traffic.

Send the CEA Recruiter an e-mail and he will fix the problem guaranteed.

ffry
12-09-2009, 08:17 PM
Send the CEA Recruiter an e-mail and he will fix the problem guaranteed.

Not sure exactly who that is, any help? I would love nothing more than to get the situation fixed. I'm going to ALS next month and have a two week window between the end of that and going to Lackland.

curtst
12-09-2009, 08:57 PM
1042 and 422 has been submitted to AFPC. That should complete my retraining package from what I can tell. I asked AFPC but you know about how helpful they are.

ScoobyGSX
12-09-2009, 09:07 PM
Was anybody required to accomplish an X-Ray for the GBAC physical? I learned it is not required but some people were asked to accomplish it. If you did and it was not for qualifying for a different job (Class III for a flying job) let me know what base ordered it.

Andrews required a chest x-ray.

So AETC sent my paperwork back to Public Health saying I'm approved..the flight doc signed it, now they told me they sent it back up to AETC for final approval? So I hope that doesn't take long..hopefully I'll have my package submitted before Christmas. That'd be a great present.

WRX88, know any CE guys at Vandenberg? I was there for 4 years.

ffry
12-09-2009, 09:09 PM
Atleast you have a 1042..... Anyone know if the TS paperwork is started in school or if it needs to be started prior? I tried to start mine but my unit security manager said that only a secret is needed to go to school.... Once again I am faced with open ends.

ffry
12-09-2009, 09:20 PM
I talked to the CEA. Thank you Gunner you are my hero. Do to my clinic and AFPC not talking I was never issued a 1042. It's being taken care of. Thanks again.

Skunk Face
12-09-2009, 09:41 PM
anyone know why it takes so long to issue class dates once you go status 5? It seems like the process should be fairly automated. I have a feeling that my package is just sitting on someones desk who is spending all their time buying Christmas presents on Amazon.com.... I guess patience isn't one of my virtues. But I guess I can't complain to much as I am at a tiny base and it only took a week to get all my flight med stuff done. Some of your guys stories would make me go mad. Anyway good luck to everyone.... I just needed to vent a bit.

ffry
12-09-2009, 09:45 PM
It's been iffy I guess. Some have waited six weeks, other's three. Not sure but you're probably right. I think of it as a fun process. I feel like a plastic bag blowing in the winds with this whole process. I finally land and think something is solid only to be picked up again. Someday though I will end up in the landfill, someday.

WRX88
12-09-2009, 10:12 PM
I just PCS from Andrews ScobbyGSX so I don't anyone outside of the LRS.

redd
12-09-2009, 10:54 PM
Seems like they do em in groups(assigning class dates). Like all the October board people I talked to found out December 3. Took two months for the whole process for me. 5 to 6 took two weeks. I know you're anxious.you'll get your class date soon and then it'll seem like everything I'd moving ridiculously fast.

TUF FNG
12-09-2009, 11:45 PM
Atleast you have a 1042..... Anyone know if the TS paperwork is started in school or if it needs to be started prior? I tried to start mine but my unit security manager said that only a secret is needed to go to school.... Once again I am faced with open ends.

I just got done with the first class (Aircrew Fundamentals) and there is no where for them to start it there. I got mine starting by printing up the information from ETCA, i believe the third class says you require, then showing them that I actually had a rip to that class. I have heard others going a different route. But that one worked for me.

Gunner7
12-10-2009, 03:06 AM
anyone know why it takes so long to issue class dates once you go status 5? It seems like the process should be fairly automated. I have a feeling that my package is just sitting on someones desk who is spending all their time buying Christmas presents on Amazon.com.... I guess patience isn't one of my virtues. But I guess I can't complain to much as I am at a tiny base and it only took a week to get all my flight med stuff done. Some of your guys stories would make me go mad. Anyway good luck to everyone.... I just needed to vent a bit.

You would think that stat 5 is the promised land but unfortunately it is not. We are in the middle of Phase II excuse season. This ridiculous time of year allows the AFPC types more time to "age" the applications for critical positions because they are "matching" non vols to fun jobs. I would bet money you could land a space shuttle in the parking lot at Randolph right now. If you ask for a status update on an application you will get the "Phase II is in progress..." excuse. Ask for a status update weekly through "my stuff" to keep your application from stalling out due to inactivity (it happens when it is being "aged" down there). This brings me to another point. If I read correctly, 1000 Airmen needed to find new jobs in Aug as part of the voluntary phase. If 50% of them were granted retraining to their choice then we have been waiting since Oct 20th for the mighty AFPC to assign 500 people to jobs they qualify for but do not have a say in. I wonder if they could shuffle over to Recruiting service and ask them how they hire 34000 civilians into all kinds of active duty positions every year without any background information to start with. All of our Retrainees have SURF and MilPDS records that would make this seem much easier yet they constantly screw the pooch. Sorry for the AFPC bashing but I am absolutely amazed at the lack of concern for people and mission Gen McClain's crew displays daily. I saw that she hit the road on a "spread the word" tour. I find it hard to believe that after burning through all those timezones she was never told the Retraing program sucks.

blueroomer
12-10-2009, 04:46 AM

I got an x-ray here at Kunsan. I also have to go up to Osan next week and get a waiver for eye surgery but thats another story.

Gunner7
12-10-2009, 12:29 PM
I got an x-ray here at Kunsan. I also have to go up to Osan next week and get a waiver for eye surgery but thats another story.

X-Ray is NOT required for GBAC. While you are up there ask them to show you where in Section 6I of 48-123 does it say you need the chest x-ray. It is part of a class III (which a UAS SO does not need). I am not happy to hear they are shooting x-rays like they had a new camera phone because they don't know what exam they are conducting.

ScoobyGSX
12-10-2009, 08:38 PM
Just curious..why exactly are we disqualified from this job if you've gotten refractive eye surgery?? If pilots can get eye surgery & still fly, why can't we get eye surgery if we're just looking at a monitor??

blueroomer
12-10-2009, 10:39 PM
Just curious..why exactly are we disqualified from this job if you've gotten refractive eye surgery?? If pilots can get eye surgery & still fly, why can't we get eye surgery if we're just looking at a monitor??

The reason why is because I got PRK at a civilian clinic not through the AF. There is no medical history of me doing this so it has to be waived. They just need to do a topography scan on my eyes to see if they healed right and then hopefully cut a waiver.

ScoobyGSX
12-10-2009, 10:43 PM
The reason why is because I got PRK at a civilian clinic not through the AF. There is no medical history of me doing this so it has to be waived. They just need to do a topography scan on my eyes to see if they healed right and then hopefully cut a waiver.

Ok..I'm just making sure that if do get this job, that later on down the road I'll be able to get eye surgery done. More than likely through the AF.

blueroomer
12-10-2009, 10:46 PM
X-Ray is NOT required for GBAC. While you are up there ask them to show you where in Section 6I of 48-123 does it say you need the chest x-ray. It is part of a class III (which a UAS SO does not need). I am not happy to hear they are shooting x-rays like they had a new camera phone because they don't know what exam they are conducting.

I've been round and round with them but they are putting me through a full Class II. I'm almost done with it except for this wavier. I got started on this back in August. I submitted my application right after AFPC started asking for a 1042. They declined it so I kind of had to start all over again. The only good thing I can say about flight med here is that they know me pretty well. I'm the only person here doing this and they haven't "forgotten" about me.

blueroomer
12-10-2009, 10:50 PM
Ok..I'm just making sure that if do get this job, that later on down the road I'll be able to get eye surgery done. More than likely through the AF.

Shouldn't be a problem. The only reason I went with a civilian doctor is because I wanted wave front guided PRK and I heard the AF doctors will decide what type of surgery you should get. I wanted to make my own choice even if I had to pay for it.

Gunner7
12-11-2009, 12:49 PM
I've been round and round with them but they are putting me through a full Class II. I'm almost done with it except for this wavier. I got started on this back in August. I submitted my application right after AFPC started asking for a 1042. They declined it so I kind of had to start all over again. The only good thing I can say about flight med here is that they know me pretty well. I'm the only person here doing this and they haven't "forgotten" about me.

This is a common problem right now. Get in touch with: william.bergin@pentagon.af.mil He is the recruiter for flying/UAS positions and can get the problem fixed really fast.

For anyone else who is having trouble, refer to the following extracts from 48-123 (24 Sep 09) Note: Prior to entering the military treatment facility , ask yourself what you hope to accomplish. See yourself making a calm pursuasive case for getting this exam done right. If you are prone to getting excited and angry in the face of stupidity don't go in. Go to the gym instead and pound a heavy bag for a while, it is important that you understand there is a huge barrier to learning when a __________(insert your AFSC here) walks into the hospital and tells them how to schedule the proper exam (their job).

Problem 1. Medical folks refuse to use the 1042 because you are accomplishing a Ground Based Aircraft Controller Physical.
Solution: Use this reference to show that any applicant for the 1U0XX position must meet physical standards IAW 48-123 Section 6I, therefore use of the 1042 is required. It is amazing how many people in the hospital do not know that the 1042 is for BOTH Flying and Special Operation duty.
Page 58:
6.9. Applicability. Applies to each Air Force MTF or ARC medical squadron/Group providing support for flying or special operational duty personnel. Use AF Form 1042 to convey updates and changes to medical qualification for flying or special operational duty. Flying or special operational duty personnel are defined as any Air Force member with an ASC, AFSC or duty position that must meet special entry and continuing medical qualifications as defined in 6G ,6H 6I, 6J, and 6K.

Problem 2. Hospital insists on sending you out the door with a 422 (physical profile) and a kick in the ass.
Solution: Open to page 115 of referenced instruction.Let them know that you are aware of the difference between a 1U0XX (UAS SO AFSC for predator and bigger Airframe) and the SUAS (Small UAS tactical stuff smaller than Pred) and that the S-UAS guy only needs to see lightning and hear thunder to qualify. Tell them you are a magnificent individual and are hoping to dedicate your life to the 1U0XX Air Force Speciality, which requires the GBAC. It is helpful to remind them that an Airborne Sensor Operator is not the same as a 1U0XX as that is a duty for 1A4XX who fly on certain Aircraft. (Gunships, Liberty, Captured spacecraft) and you do NOT need a Class III flight Physical. You are also not becoming a Combat Controller so you will Not need the Class III for that either.
Section 6I— Ground Based Aircraft Controller
6.46. Ground Based Aircraft Controller Medical Standards. The standards in Section 6I apply to all ground based aircraft controllers which includes air traffic controller, weapons controllers/directors, combat controllers and Aerospace Control and Warning Systems (1C5X1), Tactical Air Control Party (1C4X1), Air Liaison Officer (13LX) and UAS sensor operators (1UOX1). Conditions in Chapter 5, Continued Military Service (Retention Standards) also
116 AFI48-123 24 SEPTEMBER 2009
apply. For conditions listed in Chapter 5, ensure an MEB has been performed and final disposition made prior to submission of a waiver request.
Combat Controllers must meet the FC III requirements in Section 6G and the parachute duty requirements in Section 6K (6.48.2.) Air Battle Managers, Air Weapons Controllers/Directors, and Airborne sensor operators required to perform frequent and regular aerial flights must also meet Flying Class III standards in Section 6G. Pararescuemen must also meet standards in Section 6K. The medical conditions listed in Chapter 5, Section 6G and Section 6K are cause to reject an examinee for initial controller duty or continued duty unless a waiver is granted. Acute medical problems, injuries, or their appropriate therapy are cause for withholding certification of initial training or temporarily restricting the individual from controller duties until the problem is resolved. These standards are not all inclusive, and other diseases, or defects, can be cause for rejection based upon the medical judgment of the examining flight surgeon. Acute conditions which impair safe and effective performance of duty are cause for temporary removal from controlling duties using AF Form 1042, Medical Recommendation for Flying or Special Operational Duty, IAW Section 6C. Note: These standards do not apply to: Small unmanned aircraft systems operators (SUAS-Os). (See Section 6K 6.48.11.).

Problem 3. Hospital insists on accomplishing a Class II U.
Solution: Thank them for confusing you with a Rated Officer, let them know the Class II U is for the UAS Pilots who must attend actual flight training and is the wrong physical exam for you. If they continue to insist on this exam ask for the IG number because you will be in the unique position to watch an actual waste of funds occour as you are booking the FWA appointment.
Page 105
Section 6H— Unmanned Aircraft System Medical Standards
6.45. Unmanned Aircraft System Medical Standards. These standards apply to pilots of large (Group 4 or 5) unmanned aerial systems IAW Joint Concept of Operations for Unmanned Aircraft Systems. All members must meet retention standards as outlined in Section 5B and the following additional criteria. Note: For SUAS-O see 6.48.11.
Aircrew who are previously trained in another weapons system and are temporarily performing UAS only pilot duties will be held to FCIIU standards below for the duration of their UAS assignment.

Problem 4. Hospital insists the GBAC is locally certified and is routed just like an Air Traffic Controller (GBAC)
Physical
Solution: Let them know that while the exam itself is exactly the same the routing is different because you will be part of a crew operating an asset in airspace.
Page 179
UAS Sensor Operators (IU) Sensor Operators (1N)
AETC/SGPS-Certification Authority
AETC/SGPS-Waiver Authority
Ground Based Controllers
Local SGP-Certification Authority

Problem 5 After presentating all of the references and calmly asking them to reconsider, they decide to press on with the wrong physical exam (to include depth perception check, chest x-ray) start taking names and numbers. You will need contact information for: Individual assisting you, their supervisor, flight surgeon and hospital squadron Commander. Take said information and e-mail to the CEA recruiter at the Pentagon. He has the ability to reach out and clarify the situation for all involved.

USxLYCAINxAF
12-11-2009, 01:57 PM
Ive been busy lately so havent been able to keep track of the updates. I waited a little over 8 weeks to go from 5 to 6. My class dates are...

Projected Course Name: Aircrew Fundamentals w/o Chamber Qualification

Projected Course Number: L3AQRXXXXX 01AA

Projected Course Start Date: 09 APR 2010

Projected Course Graduation Date: 26 APR 2010

Projected Course Name: UNMANNED AIRCRAFT SYSTEMS (UAS) BASIC SENSOR OPERATOR COURSE (BSOC)

Projected Course Number: UAS BSOC

Projected Course Start Date: 04 MAY 2010

Projected Course Graduation Date: 08 JUN 2010

Im a bit confused about the last class, I called someone at Randolph (can't remember his name) and was told Ill be in the UAS Fundamentals on 9 Jun thru 8 Jul. I just started to fill out my paper work for TS clearence and as far as medical.....I walked in, shceduled dental, had my labs done, and a hearing test all in under 2 hours of first asking. All thats left is the Physical in which im told will be scheduled for me in Jan.

Also, the best part. My wife has been away for training since Apr09. She palace chased into the reserves and is going thru medical training into areio medevac. She starts her aircrew class on the 6th of Apr. Wonder if theres a chance we will be in the same class.

Sorry for the bad grammer and the jumble sentences, Im at work (Air Force Weather).

Gunner7
12-11-2009, 02:29 PM
Ive been busy lately so havent been able to keep track of the updates. I waited a little over 8 weeks to go from 5 to 6. My class dates are...

Projected Course Start Date: 09 APR 2010

Projected Course Graduation Date: 26 APR 2010

Projected Course Name: UNMANNED AIRCRAFT SYSTEMS (UAS) BASIC SENSOR OPERATOR COURSE (BSOC)

Projected Course Start Date: 04 MAY 2010

Projected Course Graduation Date: 08 JUN 2010

Im a bit confused about the last class, I called someone at Randolph (can't remember his name) and was told Ill be in the UAS Fundamentals on 9 Jun thru 8 Jul. I just started to fill out my paper work for TS clearence and as far as medical.....I walked in, shceduled dental, had my labs done, and a hearing test all in under 2 hours of first asking. All thats left is the Physical in which im told will be scheduled for me in Jan.

Also, the best part. My wife has been away for training since Apr09. She palace chased into the reserves and is going thru medical training into areio medevac. She starts her aircrew class on the 6th of Apr. Wonder if theres a chance we will be in the same class.

Sorry for the bad grammer and the jumble sentences, Im at work (Air Force Weather).

Do you have a class date without a current GBAC physical?

USxLYCAINxAF
12-11-2009, 02:33 PM
Do you have a class date without a current GBAC physical?

yeah, I had the original application in before the change was made to make that a requirement. I have started the process of getting one done, got everything done but the dental which ill have done on Monday and the Visit with the Doctor which ill have scheduled in Jan. They wouldnt give me the physical until i was fully approved for the career. It should be done before my class starts.

WALLY3430
12-11-2009, 03:22 PM

I did mine...was directed by flight med at Malmstrom.

ScoobyGSX
12-11-2009, 03:32 PM
yeah, I had the original application in before the change was made to make that a requirement. I have started the process of getting one done, got everything done but the dental which ill have done on Monday and the Visit with the Doctor which ill have scheduled in Jan. They wouldnt give me the physical until i was fully approved for the career. It should be done before my class starts.

Lucky guy!

I just received my 1042 & 422 yesterday..so today I was finally able to submit the whole package to my commander. I guess AETC found something abnormal about my EKG results, so it took about two more weeks to get it straightened out. So now it's out of my hands & I play the waiting game..

Gunner7
12-11-2009, 03:45 PM

Ahh yes, they are runnning the Ready, Fire, Aim! checklist. Good for rate of fire but not very accurate. What fine medical establishent has been "servicing" you?

USxLYCAINxAF
12-11-2009, 03:52 PM
Ahh yes, they are runnning the Ready, Fire, Aim! checklist. Good for rate of fire but not very accurate. What fine medical establishent has been "servicing" you?

Im station at Davis Monthan, seems like I will have no trouble with the wait for DM medical but not sure of the wait when my stuff goes to headquarters.

Skunk Face
12-11-2009, 04:01 PM

Did you recently (within the last week) get your class dates?

USxLYCAINxAF
12-11-2009, 04:09 PM
Did you recently (within the last week) get your class dates?

Changed from 5 to 6 on the 3rd after an agonizing 8 week wait and got my training rips on the 4th.

Skunk Face
12-11-2009, 04:14 PM
Changed from 5 to 6 on the 3rd after an agonizing 8 week wait and got my training rips on the 4th.

Thanks for the info... NCORP or FTA? Just trying to see if there is any rhyme and reason to the release dates. I went from a 3 to 5 on the 3rd (NCORP)....

USxLYCAINxAF
12-11-2009, 04:27 PM
I applied under the FTA. Seems like when they were choosing class dates they took the SrA with line numbers first. Figured thats why my wait was so long.

blueroomer
12-12-2009, 02:36 AM
This is a common problem right now. Get in touch with: william.bergin@pentagon.af.mil He is the recruiter for flying/UAS positions and can get the problem fixed really fast.

For anyone else who is having trouble, refer to the following extracts from 48-123 (24 Sep 09) Note: Prior to entering the military treatment facility , ask yourself what you hope to accomplish. See yourself making a calm pursuasive case for getting this exam done right. If you are prone to getting excited and angry in the face of stupidity don't go in. Go to the gym instead and pound a heavy bag for a while, it is important that you understand there is a huge barrier to learning when a __________(insert your AFSC here) walks into the hospital and tells them how to schedule the proper exam (their job).

Problem 1. Medical folks refuse to use the 1042 because you are accomplishing a Ground Based Aircraft Controller Physical.
Solution: Use this reference to show that any applicant for the 1U0XX position must meet physical standards IAW 48-123 Section 6I, therefore use of the 1042 is required. It is amazing how many people in the hospital do not know that the 1042 is for BOTH Flying and Special Operation duty.
Page 58:
6.9. Applicability. Applies to each Air Force MTF or ARC medical squadron/Group providing support for flying or special operational duty personnel. Use AF Form 1042 to convey updates and changes to medical qualification for flying or special operational duty. Flying or special operational duty personnel are defined as any Air Force member with an ASC, AFSC or duty position that must meet special entry and continuing medical qualifications as defined in 6G ,6H 6I, 6J, and 6K.

Problem 2. Hospital insists on sending you out the door with a 422 (physical profile) and a kick in the ass.
Solution: Open to page 115 of referenced instruction.Let them know that you are aware of the difference between a 1U0XX (UAS SO AFSC for predator and bigger Airframe) and the SUAS (Small UAS tactical stuff smaller than Pred) and that the S-UAS guy only needs to see lightning and hear thunder to qualify. Tell them you are a magnificent individual and are hoping to dedicate your life to the 1U0XX Air Force Speciality, which requires the GBAC. It is helpful to remind them that an Airborne Sensor Operator is not the same as a 1U0XX as that is a duty for 1A4XX who fly on certain Aircraft. (Gunships, Liberty, Captured spacecraft) and you do NOT need a Class III flight Physical. You are also not becoming a Combat Controller so you will Not need the Class III for that either.
Section 6I— Ground Based Aircraft Controller
6.46. Ground Based Aircraft Controller Medical Standards. The standards in Section 6I apply to all ground based aircraft controllers which includes air traffic controller, weapons controllers/directors, combat controllers and Aerospace Control and Warning Systems (1C5X1), Tactical Air Control Party (1C4X1), Air Liaison Officer (13LX) and UAS sensor operators (1UOX1). Conditions in Chapter 5, Continued Military Service (Retention Standards) also
116 AFI48-123 24 SEPTEMBER 2009
apply. For conditions listed in Chapter 5, ensure an MEB has been performed and final disposition made prior to submission of a waiver request.
Combat Controllers must meet the FC III requirements in Section 6G and the parachute duty requirements in Section 6K (6.48.2.) Air Battle Managers, Air Weapons Controllers/Directors, and Airborne sensor operators required to perform frequent and regular aerial flights must also meet Flying Class III standards in Section 6G. Pararescuemen must also meet standards in Section 6K. The medical conditions listed in Chapter 5, Section 6G and Section 6K are cause to reject an examinee for initial controller duty or continued duty unless a waiver is granted. Acute medical problems, injuries, or their appropriate therapy are cause for withholding certification of initial training or temporarily restricting the individual from controller duties until the problem is resolved. These standards are not all inclusive, and other diseases, or defects, can be cause for rejection based upon the medical judgment of the examining flight surgeon. Acute conditions which impair safe and effective performance of duty are cause for temporary removal from controlling duties using AF Form 1042, Medical Recommendation for Flying or Special Operational Duty, IAW Section 6C. Note: These standards do not apply to: Small unmanned aircraft systems operators (SUAS-Os). (See Section 6K 6.48.11.).

Problem 3. Hospital insists on accomplishing a Class II U.
Solution: Thank them for confusing you with a Rated Officer, let them know the Class II U is for the UAS Pilots who must attend actual flight training and is the wrong physical exam for you. If they continue to insist on this exam ask for the IG number because you will be in the unique position to watch an actual waste of funds occour as you are booking the FWA appointment.
Page 105
Section 6H— Unmanned Aircraft System Medical Standards
6.45. Unmanned Aircraft System Medical Standards. These standards apply to pilots of large (Group 4 or 5) unmanned aerial systems IAW Joint Concept of Operations for Unmanned Aircraft Systems. All members must meet retention standards as outlined in Section 5B and the following additional criteria. Note: For SUAS-O see 6.48.11.
Aircrew who are previously trained in another weapons system and are temporarily performing UAS only pilot duties will be held to FCIIU standards below for the duration of their UAS assignment.

Problem 4. Hospital insists the GBAC is locally certified and is routed just like an Air Traffic Controller (GBAC)
Physical
Solution: Let them know that while the exam itself is exactly the same the routing is different because you will be part of a crew operating an asset in airspace.
Page 179
UAS Sensor Operators (IU) Sensor Operators (1N)
AETC/SGPS-Certification Authority
Ground Based Controllers
Local SGP-Certification Authority

Problem 5 After presentating all of the references and calmly asking them to reconsider, they decide to press on with the wrong physical exam (to include depth perception check, chest x-ray) start taking names and numbers. You will need contact information for: Individual assisting you, their supervisor, flight surgeon and hospital squadron Commander. Take said information and e-mail to the CEA recruiter at the Pentagon. He has the ability to reach out and clarify the situation for all involved.

Gunner 7, you've been an extremely big help on here. If it wasn't for you this would just be a thread of people complaining about how messed up the cross-training program is. Well, actually this is mostly a thread of people complaining but you've still been a huge source of helpful info and guidance. Thanks. Since I'm almost done with the medical I'm going to submit my 1042 (if and when I get it) and see what happens after that. If I still have issues I'll contact the dude at the Pentagon and see where that goes.
P.S. lol captured spacecraft... sounds like a cool job.

Sickofmx
12-12-2009, 09:29 PM
Ive been having the problem that my eyesight is 20/20-2 I had to go get a refraction test and the doctor said easily correctable dont need glasses. I had optometry going round and round with public health for about 3 weeks because public health said without glasses I am not corrected to 20/20. Now optometry has to order glasses for me before public health will send my paperwork back to flight medicine so I can get an appointment. It makes me wonder how the fuck people keep their jobs nowadays... Im used be being in maintenance where most everything is in black and white, either you do your job right or you dont for the most part...

Gunner7
12-12-2009, 10:53 PM
Gunner 7, you've been an extremely big help on here. If it wasn't for you this would just be a thread of people complaining about how messed up the cross-training program is. Well, actually this is mostly a thread of people complaining but you've still been a huge source of helpful info and guidance. Thanks. Since I'm almost done with the medical I'm going to submit my 1042 (if and when I get it) and see what happens after that. If I still have issues I'll contact the dude at the Pentagon and see where that goes.
P.S. lol captured spacecraft... sounds like a cool job.

Thank you, I think beteen this thread and the Flight Engineer retraining thread an individual might have a chance at retraining without hitting any pitfalls IF they read all of the information. My theory on the GBAC screw ups is that while the hospital may be aware of the new AFI, when asked to get UAS specific information they use the "search" function of ADOBE and miss some important stuff. The beauty of working in a support function like the hospital is that you can completely fuck up and not worry about the consequences. I am not talking about any of the horrific mishaps under the knife but at the customer service level. I feel this is a result of the Air Force wanting to promote a warm caring enviornment much like tee ball where every one is doing their best all the time. I recall some feedback a TSgt gave a SSgt at a SAC base years ago. When told he could not accomplish a simple hearing test because she was closing for training the lid came off. It was great to watch, he was quite loud about his feelings towards her, her boss, the hospital, and anyone claiming to be part of the medical profession. Nowadays he would be reprimanded for such an outburst. The significant thing about it was I never saw that individual sit when talking to a customer again, I always got a prompt response to any questions, and overall service improved. I sometimes wonder if the enemy has as many challenges when qualifying his people for employment. The two greatest challenges to any Airman wanting to go futher in to the fight are the hospital and AFPC. Both outfits are important to processing people for needs of the Air Force type positions but neither are willing to move with a sense of purpose. AFPC has been telling NCOs in balanced AFSCs that they will not get their applications worked until after Phase II of the program. They finally released the Phase II message and state that it will end on or about Feb 2010. All the Phase I types who refused to pick a new job get priority processing for just about 100 days. If the CMSAF thinks this is how we take care of the mission and people we are truly fucked. The good news is that you can apply for those critical jobs now and expect action. If not let the CEA recruiter know.

Needtoretrain
12-14-2009, 03:50 PM
When will orders be generated for the UFC course? All I have received is the RIP for AFC and BSOC..

Skunk Face
12-14-2009, 04:58 PM
When will orders be generated for the UFC course? All I have received is the RIP for AFC and BSOC..

I can't give you a firm answer but when I retrained into flight engineer I didn't received orders for IQT until I was done with BFE and left San Antonio.

BTW I noticed the FTA drop a few slots. Anyone go to 5?

WRX88
12-14-2009, 05:35 PM
I just received the message below, hell yea!!!!

"Your Retraining Application Status is AWAITING CLASS SEAT (AFPC)(5) as of 14 DEC 2009."

Villegasm
12-14-2009, 06:04 PM
I just received the message below, hell yea!!!!

"Your Retraining Application Status is AWAITING CLASS SEAT (AFPC)(5) as of 14 DEC 2009."

Are you FTA or NCORP?

WRX88
12-14-2009, 07:15 PM
I'm a SSgt thats a FTA.

one4tw
12-14-2009, 07:31 PM
Are you FTA or NCORP?

When did you submit the application with CC Coordination? Are you coming from a balanced AFSC?

I'm a SrA but under NCORP because I re-enlisted. Sounds like slots are going fast...

I turned mine in completed 2 weeks ago, am calling every week and used all the help Gunner7 posted.

They still don't have my application on file when I check the retraining link and I call them every week. Very frustrating b/c I can't get a (5) if they don't even start me with a (3)... They just say it is "pending review" a.k.a. aging. I don't have any contacts down there to expedite it, and waiting another month is ridiculous. It was pretty easy to work with people here at Luke, but it seems like Randolph is a giant black hole.

Thanks to all the people who posted good info on here to help me through this nightmare...

WRX88
12-14-2009, 07:40 PM
My process was pretty smooth, it took the about a month for all the medical approvals and then a couple of days for the CC signature and then AFPC took about a day. The only problem I had with this process is all the bad information going around.

one4tw
12-14-2009, 07:46 PM
My process was pretty smooth, it took the about a month for all the medical approvals and then a couple of days for the CC signature and then AFPC took about a day. The only problem I had with this process is all the bad information going around.

Well congrats on the new job! I would bribe someone at AFPC if I could get mine done in a day:) They're telling me about 2 months before it will be reviewed. Didn't you have to go up for boards as a FTA?

WRX88
12-14-2009, 07:49 PM
Yea after the Docs did their thing it was mid Nov and then I summited before the end of the month and got accpect on my first board. Thanks, it sucks that it takes that long just review your packet. Is it just to review it or to retrain you.

Villegasm
12-14-2009, 07:50 PM
When did you submit the application with CC Coordination? Are you coming from a balanced AFSC?

I'm a SrA but under NCORP because I re-enlisted. Sounds like slots are going fast...

I turned mine in completed 2 weeks ago, am calling every week and used all the help Gunner7 posted.

They still don't have my application on file when I check the retraining link and I call them every week. Very frustrating b/c I can't get a (5) if they don't even start me with a (3)... They just say it is "pending review" a.k.a. aging. I don't have any contacts down there to expedite it, and waiting another month is ridiculous. It was pretty easy to work with people here at Luke, but it seems like Randolph is a giant black hole.

Thanks to all the people who posted good info on here to help me through this nightmare...

No, I'm under NCORP, I have submitted everything on the 25th of November and we are on the same boat right now. I, too have been calling, I just don't have a lot of hope anymore. I just want someone from the retraining office to set the record straight and give us a clear picture of what the heck is going on. They really do leave people hanging all the time. I'm the same situation as you, my retraining status is not updated and I just don't have an idea of what is going to happen next, I'm just ready to move on. It just sad no one at AFPC or retraining office can MAN UP and says, look guys, just drop it because you are not going to have a chance. Is that hard to do? Not at all. No worries for you though, as I am going for NCORP slot and not FTA, so you may have a better chance than me. I have also been in contact with a really good recruiter from Pentagon, hopefully he can really help me.
BTW, I have a projected PCS to Luke, how is the base? the community? housing? Any tips/info would be great, thanks man!

one4tw
12-14-2009, 07:55 PM
Yea after the Docs did their thing it was mid Nov and then I summited before the end of the month and got accpect on my first board. Thanks, it sucks that it takes that long just review your packet. Is it just to review it or to retrain you.

Yeah, the month is just to review the packet. The Chief won't even see it until they say everything is complete and ready for him. That's the only reason I said the process is a nightmare, other than that the med folks here were awesome, and a guy in Flight Medicine really hooked me up with a quick turn-around. Hopefully I'll catch up and get into your class. Good luck!

Jumper5
12-14-2009, 08:06 PM
No, I'm under NCORP, I have submitted everything on the 25th of November and we are on the same boat right now. I, too have been calling, I just don't have a lot of hope anymore. I just want someone from the retraining office to set the record straight and give us a clear picture of what the heck is going on. They really do leave people hanging all the time. I'm the same situation as you, my retraining status is not updated and I just don't have an idea of what is going to happen next, I'm just ready to move on. It just sad no one at AFPC or retraining office can MAN UP and says, look guys, just drop it because you are not going to have a chance. Is that hard to do? Not at all. No worries for you though, as I am going for NCORP slot and not FTA, so you may have a better chance than me. I have also been in contact with a really good recruiter from Pentagon, hopefully he can really help me.
BTW, I have a projected PCS to Luke, how is the base? the community? housing? Any tips/info would be great, thanks man!

Are you sitting at a 3 or are you still waiting to get to that point?

one4tw
12-14-2009, 08:07 PM

We are in the same boat b/c I re-enlisted so I have to apply NCORP. Oh and they can't man up and tell you anything because they don't really know anything. The people at the hotline are just taking calls and don't actually peform the functions we ask them about.

Luke is awesome, it's like 61 degrees right now, but the sun is out and bright. I like a lot of the communities around here, I live in Litchfield Park and haven't had any issues. Houses are pretty cheap out here still, so now is the time to buy. Summers are hot, but I like the heat, I'm very happy with this assignment and I like the outdoors. It's centrally located to beaches (Rocky Point), mountains (Flagstaff), Vegas, San Diego. The leadership is pretty strong here too, so you should like it.

curtst
12-14-2009, 09:20 PM
As far as I can tell I have all the required documents submitted, but AFPC isn't telling me if that is all or if I need more. I have no idea what is going on. Retraining status in vMPF still says they have nothing on file for me either.

Skunk Face
12-14-2009, 11:46 PM
As far as I can tell I have all the required documents submitted, but AFPC isn't telling me if that is all or if I need more. I have no idea what is going on. Retraining status in vMPF still says they have nothing on file for me either.

Have you called and continuously bugged them yet? That is the only way to get anywhere.

ffry
12-15-2009, 01:56 PM
So how's everything going for you all? Mine is still a freaking nightmare. Clinic never gave me a 1042 but fortunately the CEA fixed that. I recieved an email from MPF saying something needed to be done by 5 Dec. Only problem was the email was sent on 11 Dec while I was on leave. Lovely mess.

Jumper5
12-15-2009, 03:36 PM
So how's everything going for you all?

Sitting at a 3 for about two weeks - NCO with an ETP from a balanced field.

It is good times.

Villegasm
12-15-2009, 06:15 PM
Are you sitting at a 3 or are you still waiting to get to that point?

I'm nothing right now, that's what makes me mad as hell, here I AM fully medically qualified and have all required documents, basically ready to jump at any class that opens up and they are still dragging their feet. It's a WIN-WIN situation for us and the AF, but AFPC don't give a crap. Air Force wants willing and motivated volunteer who really have the desire to do the job, here we are but it's so frustrating we are always left hang to dry.

ffry
12-15-2009, 06:22 PM
I'm nothing right now, that's what makes me mad as hell, here I AM fully medically qualified and have all required documents, basically ready to jump at any class that opens up and they are still dragging their feet. It's a WIN-WIN situation for us and the AF, but AFPC don't give a crap. Air Force wants willing and motivated volunteer who really have the desire to do the job, here we are but it's so frustrating we are always left hang to dry.

I hear you on that one. It seems like many agencies have bad information when it comes to this job and things get messed up easily. Thankfully we have the internet and can network via this fine forum.

Villegasm
12-15-2009, 08:03 PM
We are in the same boat b/c I re-enlisted so I have to apply NCORP. Oh and they can't man up and tell you anything because they don't really know anything. The people at the hotline are just taking calls and don't actually peform the functions we ask them about.

Luke is awesome, it's like 61 degrees right now, but the sun is out and bright. I like a lot of the communities around here, I live in Litchfield Park and haven't had any issues. Houses are pretty cheap out here still, so now is the time to buy. Summers are hot, but I like the heat, I'm very happy with this assignment and I like the outdoors. It's centrally located to beaches (Rocky Point), mountains (Flagstaff), Vegas, San Diego. The leadership is pretty strong here too, so you should like it.

Oh cool, well I guess if I don't get to retrain at least I PCs'ed to a good assignment(based on what I have heard from other people and you), i've done a few research and if I don't get approved for retraining I will actually be looking forward to this PCS. Been in Europe for just over 5 years, me and my family are just ready to go home to the states and can always say I LOVE AMERICA. Europe is okay, travelled plenty, but there is nothing compare to the convenience and simplicity of daily life routine in the states.

Skunk Face
12-15-2009, 08:14 PM

I hear you on that. I'm a prior FE who was pulled for medical reasons. I have some flight experiance, I have already completed fundies and I'm ready to get my wings back. It kills me that we are left in the dark with much of this process. I hate having to shrug my shoulders when my leadership ask me about my status. For all I know I could be leaving next month or I could be around for another nine.

redd
12-15-2009, 09:06 PM
DAMN YOU ALL WITH YOUR PERSONNELIST BASHING!!!! J/k :)

But seriously am I the only one who has not had a hard time? I mean, I know I have it a little easier cuz i can get into the system and check stuff and cuz my friends deal with retraining but really... .. Was it that bad for all of you?

ffry
12-15-2009, 09:23 PM
Redd, did you get your 1042 through our clinic?

Skunk Face
12-15-2009, 09:34 PM

But seriously am I the only one who has not had a hard time? I mean, I know I have it a little easier cuz i can get into the system and check stuff and cuz my friends deal with retraining but really... .. Was it that bad for all of you?

No personnelist bashing here... more system bashing:). Honestly my process this time has been relatively smooth. But I think that is because I have been through it before 2 years ago... I feel the pain some of these guys are going through. My only grip this time around is transparency. The more info the better when it comes my career. Right now I feel like I am playing the lottery every morning to check my status. Why can't AFPC just tell me "Your package is number 11 in the stack and you should here something by "This Date" ". Anyway I will forget all this as soon as I see that "6" :)

redd
12-15-2009, 09:39 PM
Yes i did :) But it wasn't routed through AETC/SG :(

redd
12-15-2009, 09:41 PM
Gotta make a few calls to get it routed before we go to ALS so it'll be ready before March.

ffry
12-15-2009, 09:51 PM
I got screwed by the clinic then. How many times did I call them about that issue only to be told I don't need one. Fortunately I had the CEA contact them and my unit security manager about my TS stuff. I tell you what, the system hates me. I will persevre though.

redd
12-15-2009, 09:52 PM
How long does it take to get routed to AETC?

Jumper5
12-17-2009, 06:47 PM
Your Retraining Application Status is AWAITING CLASS SEAT (AFPC)(5) as of 17 DEC 2009.

This means that one TSgt slot is gone.

My timeline - I submitted the original retraining request on Sep 3rd. I wasn't able to get in for my GBC physical until mid-October. All paperwork was in and I went to a 3 on Dec 4th. I am an ETP application from a balanced field.

one4tw
12-17-2009, 07:07 PM
Your Retraining Application Status is AWAITING CLASS SEAT (AFPC)(5) as of 17 DEC 2009.

My timeline - I submitted the original retraining request on Sep 3rd. I wasn't able to get in for my GBC physical until mid-October. All paperwork was in and I went to a 3 on Dec 4th. I am an ETP application from a balanced field.

Congrats bro! I've been at 3 a couple days for a Staff slot. Can't wait till I hit 5!

Jumper5
12-17-2009, 09:30 PM
Congrats bro! I've been at 3 a couple days for a Staff slot. Can't wait till I hit 5!

Thanks. Now I just need to wait and see if I go to training after my AAC 50 is up in July or if I get to do an earlier class.

slashedeye
12-18-2009, 10:18 AM
I just submitted via vMPF retraining request. I'm crossing my fingers and hoping I get accepted

one4tw
12-18-2009, 01:44 PM
I just submitted via vMPF retraining request. I'm crossing my fingers and hoping I get accepted

You probably will, thats when all the fun starts... Had it not been my first experience w the process, I would've booked appts, did the typing test and had all my ducks in a row for when the approval finally came.

You can find all the req's for the job by reading this forum and knock em out.

one4tw
12-18-2009, 03:59 PM
Well, unless there is a more current CCS list then the one dated May 2009, there are a TON of AFSC's that are apparently CCS, 1N being one of them...In fact, the CCS list has AFSC's on it that the retraining advisory doesn't have listed as code 544. And...they "say" the online retraining advisory is supposed to be a "living" document which is constantly updated...so which is it? GET YOUR SH!T TOGETHER AND GIVE SOME TRUE INFORMATION FOR ONCE!!! The best part is that this all affects my career, not theirs...they could care less, but this stuff is life changing for some of us...it affects where I will be 10 years from now...they will still be idiots giving out the wrong information to some other schmuck just like me...

HA! I just called them before my shift this morning and they said the same "living document" line to me. That document hasn't been updated with any of the people getting slots on this forum recently... In fact, SSgt has had 9 slots since last month. I laughed my ass off when I saw that old post. I guess they just tell people that because it sounds official. If anything, the retraining advisory is on life support.

curtst
12-18-2009, 04:16 PM
A couple of folks on here said I should call AFPC and ask about my retraining. I was wondering if I am allowed to do that. Several folks with a higher pay grade than myself have told me that only master and above should be calling AFPC. Is this true? Is it ok if I call AFPC? If I call AFPC will I get in trouble for it?

ffry
12-18-2009, 04:33 PM
I don't know what they're smoking but I've never seen a notice saying that E-6 and below can't call. I call a lot because they routinely fail to tell me things. Honestly my Chief always bugs me to call AFPC to see what's going on with my stuff.

curtst
12-18-2009, 04:46 PM
Alrighty, guess I will try and give them a call when I get to work. Probably won't be anyone there being a Friday and a week before xmas lol.

Gunner7
12-18-2009, 07:25 PM
Alrighty, guess I will try and give them a call when I get to work. Probably won't be anyone there being a Friday and a week before xmas lol.

When people tell you to "not call AFPC" they normally mean calls to your function manager. As far as getting customer support for one of the "great" on line applications, you should call and call often to the contact center or whatever name of the month they have now.

WRX88
12-18-2009, 08:29 PM
Retraining Advisory update the FTA slots, I filled one of them last week the number changed from 19 to 16. So I think AFPC is right about the living document comment.

curtst
12-18-2009, 09:08 PM
I called AFPC, they told me my application is at BPO but on hold status because of the phase 2. Once the phase 2 folks are taken care of then my application will be looked at. They told me the phase 2 process is supposed be finished by 22 Jan. That kind of sucks. All the slots will probably be gone by then.

This is so depressing :(

ffry
12-18-2009, 10:09 PM
That is a bummer, are you FTA or other?

curtst
12-18-2009, 10:42 PM
That is a bummer, are you FTA or other?

Second term SSgt. My career field is over manned for staff (only 6 left to get out of the field, from the original number of 75). But I was not on the mandatory retrain list due to the fact I had an assignment from a BOP request. I cancelled the BOP to go for this retrain lol. Figures this would happen. Everything was going great. I even had a prior flight physcial I did when I was going for flight engineer that they were able to use for my GBC so I didn't have to wait until December for the GBC physical. Oh well it happens. If I don't make it, I am going to try and get out by any means other than getting a dishonorable discharge lol.

ffry
12-18-2009, 10:48 PM
Well good luck with everything, talk about a crappy situation...

bcoco14
12-19-2009, 06:38 AM
Second term SSgt. My career field is over manned for staff (only 6 left to get out of the field, from the original number of 75). But I was not on the mandatory retrain list due to the fact I had an assignment from a BOP request. I cancelled the BOP to go for this retrain lol. Figures this would happen. Everything was going great. I even had a prior flight physcial I did when I was going for flight engineer that they were able to use for my GBC so I didn't have to wait until December for the GBC physical. Oh well it happens. If I don't make it, I am going to try and get out by any means other than getting a dishonorable discharge lol.

Well I will give you some good thoughts to ponder during this holiday season. I am in a similar situation, my application is also at the BPO since the beginning of Oct no less. Although I'm going for flight engineer but this is #4 on the list.

OK here it goes.... 289 people are going to get retraining rips probably next week some time, seeing as how the notification most likely went out by e-mail and most probably hit the delete button without even reading it. So its going to be shock #1. I personally think they will leave this AFSC off the mandatory list just based off the amount of time it takes to put a package together from scratch, but who knows the are idiots up there.

IF there are people that will be selected to retrain into this now its going to get fun. From today there's 6 weeks until phase 2 ends. That's 22 duty days counting holidays probably less seeing as they are in an office. Now I don't know anyone who had a GBC or any other physical done by flight med, that has had a completed 1042 and 422 in hand in less than 30 days.

Now lets say 2 SSgts get the miraculous 2 week physical and get approved. that leaves 7 staff slots still open and if you got your package in early than you could possibly be near the top of considered applicants. If not you might want to think about running a ETP letter to take a FTA slot.

ffry
12-19-2009, 11:04 AM
I had my GBC and 1042 out the door in three days. My clinic didn't route it anywhere but I have it. There was a huge issue with my clinic of whether or not I needed the physical and thanks to Gunner, things were fixed, I guess.

bcoco14
12-19-2009, 05:56 PM
I had my GBC and 1042 out the door in three days. My clinic didn't route it anywhere but I have it. There was a huge issue with my clinic of whether or not I needed the physical and thanks to Gunner, things were fixed, I guess.

That's great but most people don't have a Gunner to steer them in the right direction. All the GBC's I've seen done for friends of mine have all taken just as long as a class 3 in fact most of them got the class 3 and they just went off the requirements of the GBC. I don't want to say every flight med is like this but I'm willing to bet most are.

Also I didn't think of it last night but some people just can't get a TS so that can factor in as well.

ffry
12-19-2009, 07:26 PM
Well actually Gunner mentioned to call the CEA who had things ironed out for me.

dodgeballer
12-19-2009, 09:35 PM

Try dealing with all this while deployed.

one4tw
12-21-2009, 05:43 PM
I got some good info this morning from my CC. For those of you worried about the number of slots, they are having two classes early '10 that will create over 50 new slots for us.

Not sure how many will be SSgt, but it is better than just 9 - especially with the number of people on this forum like me waiting on processing at AFPC. He said they will notify the "chosen few" next week. Wish me luck & Merry Christmas!!!

Also - post if you get in and let us know the class date.

ScoobyGSX
12-21-2009, 08:47 PM
I got some good info this morning from my CC. For those of you worried about the number of slots, they are having two classes early '10 that will create over 50 new slots for us.

Not sure how many will be SSgt, but it is better than just 9 - especially with the number of people on this forum like me waiting on processing at AFPC. He said they will notify the "chosen few" next week. Wish me luck & Merry Christmas!!!

Also - post if you get in and let us know the class date.

Is this a reliable source? Don't be toying with our hopes & dreams now! My package has been awaiting my CC's approval since the 10th.

one4tw
12-21-2009, 09:09 PM
Is this a reliable source? Don't be toying with our hopes & dreams now! My package has been awaiting my CC's approval since the 10th.

Yes it is.

JD2780
12-22-2009, 06:12 AM
I wish I could xtrain to sensor operator, stability would be great!!!

one4tw
12-22-2009, 02:47 PM
I wish I could xtrain to sensor operator, stability would be great!!!

Also, have you read about the job lol! I think the job itself is much cooler than stability. Don't they still need SOs to deploy to Afghanistan to control the equipment during TO and landing?

Anyways, I think the possibility of being on the receiving end of a CAS call would be awesome. Then again, I applied for TACP 2 months ago, so maybe that explains my excitement. (AFPC didn't process my app before they gave away all the TACP slots...)

JD2780
12-22-2009, 06:17 PM
I've been a TACP for 8 yrs now and I'm ready for different pastures. Whether is actually greener or not who knows, but a sensor operator would be good. Stability and asisting JTACs or whoever on the ground. I think my current career would be benificial if I would be alllowed to xtrain. The guys who do the t/o and lander is the LRE, launch and recovery element. Thats cool to go to someitmes, and see some stuff going on.

slashedeye
12-23-2009, 10:24 PM
thanks for the heads up man. I just got notified that I'm eligible for SO. I've been reading the posts and it's been helpful. Btw, does anybody know if I could get a private pilot license being a SO?

JD2780
12-24-2009, 12:54 AM
You dont pilot the a/c as a SO. You simply work the sensors. NO PILOTING.. I've had a couple try to tel me they do. I know for a fact they dont any rating or certification on it. Maybe a fam and thats it.

Jumper5
12-24-2009, 03:14 AM
thanks for the heads up man. I just got notified that I'm eligible for SO. I've been reading the posts and it's been helpful. Btw, does anybody know if I could get a private pilot license being a SO?

You sure can. All you need to do is spend $4-5K at your local flight school. ;)

JD2780
12-24-2009, 05:22 AM
Good call Jumper5, Feet and knees together!!!

Villegasm
12-28-2009, 07:31 PM
Well guys,

After a long and hard battle, I am proud to say I finally got approved. It was long hard work, I'm glad to see all my effort, frustrations and confusions have finally paid off. I am now awaiting class date. I would have to say thank you to the guys out here that have given tremendous amount of good information, people like Gunner. We appreciate it! Thank you and hope to see you all in class.

JD2780
12-28-2009, 07:36 PM
Good luck dude, when you get operational sling some hate for the ground guys!!!!

Jumper5
12-28-2009, 07:36 PM
Well guys,

After a long and hard battle, I am proud to say I finally got approved. It was long hard work, I'm glad to see all my effort, frustrations and confusions have finally paid off. I am now awaiting class date. I would have to say thank you to the guys out here that have given tremendous amount of good information, people like Gunner. We appreciate it! Thank you and hope to see you all in class.

What? AFPC is working over the Christmas holiday season?

Congratulations.

curtst
12-28-2009, 08:11 PM
Well guys,

Congrats. Were you a mandatory retrain or volunteer?

Villegasm
12-28-2009, 08:24 PM
Yea, lol, it wasn't even really AFPC, it's one of the good guys out there that really do care for the people that gets the mission done. Our AFSC was on the target list but retraining out quota ran out before my package got approved, became a volunteer and just now got approved. I was losing hope at one point, but if you really want it, don't give up, because thats what happened to me. Thank you all!

ScoobyGSX
12-29-2009, 03:51 PM
Yea, lol, it wasn't even really AFPC, it's one of the good guys out there that really do care for the people that gets the mission done. Our AFSC was on the target list but retraining out quota ran out before my package got approved, became a volunteer and just now got approved. I was losing hope at one point, but if you really want it, don't give up, because thats what happened to me. Thank you all!
So are you NCORP or FTA or Tech?? My commander just approved my application, so I'm waiting on AFPC to tell me I have a slot..!

There were 9 NCORP slots last I checked..how many slots are available now? I'm home for the holidays..no access to the vMPF :(

ffry
12-29-2009, 04:42 PM
You're still right, nine.

one4tw
12-29-2009, 05:16 PM
You're still right, nine.

Hasn't updated with anybody getting a job from this forum all month. I just hope I get picked up soon. I'm going nuts:confused:

Skunk Face
12-29-2009, 05:48 PM
The FTA numbers have been changing... (changed today). Last SSGT movement was when I went to 5 on the 3rd of DEC. Maybe we will see some AFPC action by the first couple of weeks of Jan? They should be all rested up and able to hand out some slots/class dates:).

one4tw
12-29-2009, 06:19 PM
The FTA numbers have been changing... (changed today). Last SSGT movement was when I went to 5 on the 3rd of DEC. Maybe we will see some AFPC action by the first couple of weeks of Jan? They should be all rested up and able to hand out some slots/class dates:).

Yes, you're right. I just noticed that the TSgt slot dropped from two to one. Maybe it's a good thing that the Staff slots aren't dropping below 9:)

Jumper5
12-29-2009, 06:49 PM
Hasn't updated with anybody getting a job from this forum all month. I just hope I get picked up soon. I'm going nuts:confused:

The TSgt numbers went from 3 to 2 on the same day I went from a 3 to a 5.

Villegasm
12-29-2009, 10:07 PM
The TSgt numbers went from 3 to 2 on the same day I went from a 3 to a 5.

TSgt slot went from 2 to 1, I took that one slot. When did you go to stat 5? Do you have a class date yet?

Jumper5
12-29-2009, 10:28 PM
TSgt slot went from 2 to 1, I took that one slot. When did you go to stat 5? Do you have a class date yet?

I went to a 5 on Dec 17th - no class dates yet.

one4tw
12-30-2009, 04:25 AM

That explains why I didn't see a change in SSgt slots :tongue:

Does anybody have any recommended reading with real-world events related to this job? Magazine articles or books will work.

dodgeballer
12-30-2009, 08:14 PM
Other than Wikipedia, just the normal news stories and articles in magazines like stars and stripes/airman magazine have been what I've been reading.

At what point should you be able to go into vMPF and see an application status? I have completed all my requirements in the application in "my stuff" at AFPC and its been about a week since and still nothing.....

bcoco14
12-30-2009, 08:27 PM
At what point should you be able to go into vMPF and see an application status? I have completed all my requirements in the application in "my stuff" at AFPC and its been about a week since and still nothing.....

I would call them after the New Year if you still don't see it in there. Keep in mind though( not sure if you FTA or NCO) that they began phase II of the NCORP recently so there probabaly going to be mainly focused on that. Also it is the holidays so I wouldn't expect much more than a whole lot of time off for AFPC.

Villegasm
12-30-2009, 09:15 PM
That explains why I didn't see a change in SSgt slots :tongue:

Does anybody have any recommended reading with real-world events related to this job? Magazine articles or books will work.

Have not look into that yet, there is a real good job overview on youtube, just type in "predator". It kind of gives the synopsis of what we are going to be doing.

Skunk Face
12-31-2009, 01:01 PM
http://ask.afpc.randolph.af.mil/main_content.asp?prods1=1&prods2=14&prods3=188&prods4=2490&prods5=2492&p_faqid=5126

Found this on AFPC and it has some nice info. Its geared to the pilots but I'm guessing most of the info is transferable to SO's. Anyway... thought it was an interesting read.

Jumper5
12-31-2009, 11:55 PM

An update - Your Retraining Application Status is APPROVED - AFPC(6) as of 30 DEC 2009.

It took 26 days to go from a 3 to a 6.

Skunk Face
01-01-2010, 12:02 AM
Congrats... Maybe mine will change to 6 soon. What are your class dates?

Jumper5
01-01-2010, 12:05 AM
Congrats... Maybe mine will change to 6 soon. What are your class dates?

Projected Course Start Date: 23 JUL 2010

Projected Course Graduation Date: 09 AUG 2010

Projected Course Start Date: 12 AUG 2010

Projected Course Graduation Date: 16 SEP 2010

Needtoretrain
01-04-2010, 02:28 PM
WALLY

HOW IS YOUR TECHSCHOOL GOING? Havent heard from you in a while. Please give us an update..

WRX88
01-04-2010, 08:16 PM
It took 13 days to go from 5 to 6, start class in April. Does anyone know if they make you extend before you go to class, if you don't have 36 months of retainability?

fwbprobin
01-04-2010, 08:20 PM
Does anybody know what the deployment tempo is for 1u0X1? Who makes up the LRE down range is it civilians or another career field or us?

redd
01-04-2010, 08:25 PM
It took 13 days to go from 5 to 6, start class in April. Does anyone know if they make you extend before you go to class, if you don't have 36 months of retainability?

On your RIP it should say you have 10 days from notification to get the proper retainability. Head to the MPF ASAP..

WRX88
01-04-2010, 08:27 PM
I check the portal and it shown my change from 5 to 6 and class dates, when does the rip follow?

redd
01-04-2010, 08:36 PM
Check with Relocations in the MPF soon. It will come from them.

WRX88
01-04-2010, 08:39 PM
On the portal it only said i had two classes I thought there was three. I start in April and end in June.

redd
01-04-2010, 08:41 PM
it wont show up until later.... All of us are only showing 2 classes. You'll only get two RIPs as well.

Barberakb
01-04-2010, 08:48 PM
Ok, unfortunately I just found this thread.

My short story is this. Awhile back I put in for retraining for 1U0X1. I was told by AFPC that I needed a flight physical before I could submit my package. I took the email etc.. over to medical and got scheduled for a physical. Had to wait like a month. I finally got it done on Dec 16th but they told me it would take atleast 30 days and maybe more because I failed the depth perception test. I passed everything else. So that means Jan 16th or later. When I first started there were like 5 TSgt slots and now there is only 1. I am a TSgt under NCORP.

My question is this. Is this class III flight physical not required? If not, since I have already done it and it is in the process of being reviewed, is there a way I can just get the info needed from that physical and speed this up so I can put in my package?

Sorry if this has been answered already but my eyes got blurry after reading like 100 pages of this thread. And thanks!

redd
01-04-2010, 09:01 PM

My short story is this. Awhile back I put in for retraining for 1U0X1. I was told by AFPC that I needed a flight physical before I could submit my package. I took the email etc.. over to medical and got scheduled for a physical. Had to wait like a month. I finally got it done on Dec 16th but they told me it would take atleast 30 days and maybe more because I failed the depth perception test. I passed everything else. So that means Jan 16th or later. When I first started there were like 5 TSgt slots and now there is only 1. I am a TSgt under NCORP.

My question is this. Is this class III flight physical not required? If not, since I have already done it and it is in the process of being reviewed, is there a way I can just get the info needed from that physical and speed this up so I can put in my package?

Sorry if this has been answered already but my eyes got blurry after reading like 100 pages of this thread. And thanks!

It's not a flight physical at all, it's a GBC that has to be approved by AETC/SG. Might wanna pm Gunner...

BrutalByte
01-05-2010, 10:37 AM

Projected Course Start Date: 23 JUL 2010

Projected Course Graduation Date: 09 AUG 2010

Projected Course Start Date: 12 AUG 2010

Projected Course Graduation Date: 16 SEP 2010

Jumper5-

You might want to look into this, but you should have a third class there... UAS Fundamentals Course (UFC), Course #: UP4AA.

-BrutalByte

Gunner7
01-05-2010, 12:34 PM

I am sorry to see that the med folks decided to do the wrong physical exam. If they had read 48-123 section 6I they would have known to accomplish the GBAC. In any case to perform Remotely Piloted Aircraft Sensor Operator duty you do not depth perception. This is spelled out in the Air Force Enlisted Classification Directory (located on AFPC site).

Jumper5
01-05-2010, 01:59 PM
Jumper5-

You might want to look into this, but you should have a third class there... UAS Fundamentals Course (UFC), Course #: UP4AA.

-BrutalByte

Thanks. I will query formal training on this as soon as they send down my RIP.

one4tw
01-05-2010, 05:27 PM
Grr... Staff went down a slot today. I've been at a (3) since 16 Dec and hoping that it dropped for me :cool:

The Punisher
01-05-2010, 07:46 PM
I got finally got my physical portion taken care of last week. The Lt. Col that saw me said it'll be a couple weeks until I get anything back. The results should be the 1042 and 422 I'm seeking, correct? From what I understand, this is what I forward back to AFPC and then wait for my commander's approval? Am I on the right track here for the next step?

Thanks.

Gunner7
01-05-2010, 07:54 PM
I got finally got my physical portion taken care of last week. The Lt. Col that saw me said it'll be a couple weeks until I get anything back. The results should be the 1042 and 422 I'm seeking, correct? From what I understand, this is what I forward back to AFPC and then wait for my commander's approval? Am I on the right track here for the next step?

Thanks.

Yep you are on track. NEVER fax anything to AFPC, always scan and upload to the application through vMPF "my stuff". As soon as you get the hardcopy forms from the hospital submit the completed application with attachments. This will trigger the CC approval request from AFPC to the CC. Make sure his org e-mail is in the syatem correctly or you will be waiting for a while.

Villegasm
01-05-2010, 07:55 PM
Thanks. I will query formal training on this as soon as they send down my RIP.

Hey Jumper,

Where did you see your class dates? In vMPF? Under retraining status? Mine is still 5, I kept checking today but nothing showed up, although I just got approved not too long ago, thanks buddy!

one4tw
01-05-2010, 07:59 PM

Thanks.

Exactly right. Those 2 forms are sent out for approval and after your CC approves everything, you will have a completed application on file.

The Punisher
01-05-2010, 08:08 PM
Yep you are on track. NEVER fax anything to AFPC, always scan and upload to the application through vMPF "my stuff". As soon as you get the hardcopy forms from the hospital submit the completed application with attachments. This will trigger the CC approval request from AFPC to the CC. Make sure his org e-mail is in the syatem correctly or you will be waiting for a while.

Thanks Gunner7 and one4tw!

I'll keep on my med folks here and make sure things are routed properly.

Jumper5
01-05-2010, 08:09 PM
Hey Jumper,

Where did you see your class dates? In vMPF? Under retraining status? Mine is still 5, I kept checking today but nothing showed up, although I just got approved not too long ago, thanks buddy!

Yep. It was under the vMPF retraining status link. I'm a little surprised that AFPC doesn't have auto-generated e-mails for this type of stuff.

curtst
01-06-2010, 02:23 AM

I already got my commanders approval before getting all the stuff from medical. AFPC told me to submit my application for commander approval even though I didn't have the paper work. I have all the medical stuff in now, and my application should be complete but I am not hearing anything from AFPC. I have had everything turned in since 3 Dec 09. Despite me asking 5 times in My Stuff about my status they aren't telling me anything.

Not sure what to do. Do I need to resubmit my application for commander approval again?

prodaj
01-06-2010, 02:52 AM
I just started the process for this job in DEC but the med group is telling me i need to get the flight physical still, i even brought them the letter stating that all i need is the GBAC? Any way has anyone heard that there are supposed to be alot more slots dropping this year?

MACsensor
01-06-2010, 04:52 AM
Just found this forum, seems like there is a lot of chatter on this subject. Good to see some interest, we need more sensors (and by the way, if you're coming into this job anytime soon...bring your A game.) Just to let you all know a bit about myself, I have been a Sensor Operator for about 2.5 years now. Retrained into 1N1, went straight to Creech and never looked back. I recently made the direct conversion to 1U0X1 so I'll be with this program for the long haul. I have been around the block a few times but you never learn everything in this job; things change too often. By no means am I the oldest dog in this game, but I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have and dismiss any rumors I can. Good luck to you all, I'm sure I'll meet some of you in person very soon.

MACsensor
01-06-2010, 04:58 AM
Does anybody know what the deployment tempo is for 1u0X1? Who makes up the LRE down range is it civilians or another career field or us?
You will have a chance to deploy if you want, but it's not necessarily obligatory. This community has a very small forward footprint. Deployed crews at the LRE are military, not civilian. You will work with civilians/contractors wherever you go, but they will be maintenance/comm types.

AGEman530
01-06-2010, 05:38 AM
MACsensor, I am really curious and seriously thinking of Retraining into Sensor Operator. Now im sure someones probably already asked you this but I was wondering what are the work hours like? 12 hour shifts, a regular 9 to 5? Not that it matters to me that much since i plan on trying for the job anyways haha

PyroDan
01-06-2010, 05:42 AM
I also just recently found this form, and have a few questions for anyone able to answer them.

I'm a FTA and want to retrain into this job. I'm wondering, should I add alternative prefrences on my application? I'm afraid that if I have alterrnative preferences which are in higher demand, it will hurt my chances of getting this job. Also, I'm curious, are there many deployment/TDY opertunities for this job? would sensor operators deploy with the crews performing takeoff and landing overseas?

-Dan

MACsensor
01-06-2010, 06:23 AM
MACsensor, I am really curious and seriously thinking of Retraining into Sensor Operator. Now im sure someones probably already asked you this but I was wondering what are the work hours like? 12 hour shifts, a regular 9 to 5? Not that it matters to me that much since i plan on trying for the job anyways haha
The hours you work all depend on what squadron you are assigned to. Each has different rotations/shifts. Expect to work shifts, work on weekends, holidays etc. There are no "safety days" or "family days" or any of that other BS. The job we do is 24/7 ops and the crews work accordingly. You will have days off, but not "normal" AF days off. No matter what type of shift hours you work, expect to be busy, especially if you are an NCO retraining in. You get no slack for being a retrainee, you will be given troops to write on, additional duties and find yourself very busy with the flying schedule and aircrew type requirements as well. It is a demanding job and I'm not trying to scare anyone away, just giving it honest.

AGEman530
01-06-2010, 06:27 AM
Great I really do appreciate honest answers on what to expect. Now a days when ever you ask a question about a certain AFSC you get the watered down anwser. Also i assume that the job is extremely stressful since your dealing with so much, and what should i expect from Tech shool?

kminer24
01-06-2010, 07:19 AM
So finally went from a 3 to a 6. Was a 3 from 20 NOV to 05 JAN and just went straight to a 6! pretty pumped. anybody else in the 09 April 2010 class???

MACsensor
01-06-2010, 08:55 AM
I also just recently found this form, and have a few questions for anyone able to answer them.

I'm a FTA and want to retrain into this job. I'm wondering, should I add alternative prefrences on my application? I'm afraid that if I have alterrnative preferences which are in higher demand, it will hurt my chances of getting this job. Also, I'm curious, are there many deployment/TDY opertunities for this job? would sensor operators deploy with the crews performing takeoff and landing overseas?

-Dan
As far as other retraining preferences, it may affect your chances if you put some other high-demand jobs on your list. If this is really the job you want, I'd put it at #1 on your list or have it be the only job on your list. That does corner you a bit and everyone at the MPF will tell you that you should apply for more than one job, but its really up to you. Don't quote me, but if you only apply for 1U0X1, I think you'd get it, so long as you can pass the physical and get the security clearance (you will need TS, no matter what you may have heard.) As for TDYs, there are deployment opprtunities if you want them. The launch and recovery crew is the same as a mission crew-a pilot and a sensor operator, so yes, SOs deploy not just "with the crew", we are part of that crew.

MACsensor
01-06-2010, 09:07 AM
Great I really do appreciate honest answers on what to expect. Now a days when ever you ask a question about a certain AFSC you get the watered down anwser. Also i assume that the job is extremely stressful since your dealing with so much, and what should i expect from Tech shool?
I can't really speak for the current tech school, I was eligible to directly convert to the 1U AFSC because I am a current/qualified sensor operator. All I know about the current tech school is what you can read online. Once you get through your time in Texas and go to one of the FTUs, expect that to be a busy time. Learn all you can while you are there, the FTU is where you learn the hands-on stuff. We can't have you weak on the basics when you come to the mission/operational side. The job can be stressful and you are responsible for a lot. Just like any job, you can be as lazy as you want to be, but it will have a direct impact on the mission (like anywhere else, we have a few less-than-top-notch performers---don't be that guy) You have to take this job seriously and be able to multitask and handle all of the information and responsibilty that comes along with it. If you can handle it, I wouldn't call it stressful, a better word would be demanding.

Jumper5
01-06-2010, 12:35 PM
Jumper5-

-BrutalByte

I went by formal training yesterday and was directed to contact AFPC since they (formal training) don't actually deal with scheduling. AFPC provided a quick response. See the following qoute.

HQ AFPC Retraining has not been given the class dates for that course. As soon as they receive them you will be scheduled. No timeframe as to when that will happen.

Now we know and knowing is half the battle.

fwbprobin
01-06-2010, 01:09 PM
That's nice you can deploy if you want to. I just started the process to retrain yesterday. I am currently a cop and I really want a fulfilling career field. I am surprised there is not more schooling for this job. How are the 3 bases you are able to get stationed at are they decent bases or in the middle of no where? I am a FTA(SrA) and I made SSgt which I should be pinning on in April or May, if my calculations are correct. Will I be taking a SrA slot since that is what rank I am when I started this process or a SSgt slot? I am kind of hoping it will be a SrA slot since there seems to be a lot more available positions.

Gunner7
01-06-2010, 01:26 PM
That's nice you can deploy if you want to. I just started the process to retrain yesterday. I am currently a cop and I really want a fulfilling career field. I am surprised there is not more schooling for this job. How are the 3 bases you are able to get stationed at are they decent bases or in the middle of no where? I am a FTA(SrA) and I made SSgt which I should be pinning on in April or May, if my calculations are correct. Will I be taking a SrA slot since that is what rank I am when I started this process or a SSgt slot? I am kind of hoping it will be a SrA slot since there seems to be a lot more available positions.

When you look at the retraining advisory and see the FTA column that will be for people on their first enlistment regardless of rank. The SSGt, TSgt, MSgt, and SMSgt columns are for people who have reenlisted at least once and will use the NCORP. New FTA slots will hit the advisory in Feb while the new NCORP slots drop in around August.

Skunk Face
01-06-2010, 01:54 PM
Congrats to all you folks that just went 6. I’ve still got my fingers crossed that I will see some dates this week. It really boggles my mind though how they dish out class dates. Seems I have been waiting quite a bit longer than some of you guys who already got dates. I would figure that since I don’t need fundies they could just through me in the next Sensor op class and be done with it. Oh well… guess I will just have to sit here and keep shrugging my shoulders every time leadership asks me when I am leaving. :)

one4tw
01-06-2010, 05:16 PM
Congrats to all you folks that just went 6. I’ve still got my fingers crossed that I will see some dates this week. It really boggles my mind though how they dish out class dates. Seems I have been waiting quite a bit longer than some of you guys who already got dates. I would figure that since I don’t need fundies they could just through me in the next Sensor op class and be done with it. Oh well… guess I will just have to sit here and keep shrugging my shoulders every time leadership asks me when I am leaving. :)

No kidding... My application has been aging at AFPC for almost a month now.

one4tw
01-06-2010, 05:35 PM
I can't really speak for the current tech school, I was eligible to directly convert to the 1U AFSC because I am a current/qualified sensor operator. All I know about the current tech school is what you can read online. Once you get through your time in Texas and go to one of the FTUs, expect that to be a busy time. Learn all you can while you are there, the FTU is where you learn the hands-on stuff. We can't have you weak on the basics when you come to the mission/operational side. The job can be stressful and you are responsible for a lot. Just like any job, you can be as lazy as you want to be, but it will have a direct impact on the mission (like anywhere else, we have a few less-than-top-notch performers---don't be that guy) You have to take this job seriously and be able to multitask and handle all of the information and responsibilty that comes along with it. If you can handle it, I wouldn't call it stressful, a better word would be demanding.

Have they written CDC's yet?

Also, the only SO video I could find on the net was @ youtube. It had 2 civilian's using a Reaper simulator. The SO tracked a target, ran a pre-fire checklist with the pilot, and operated the designator onto the target after launch. She was also responsible to listen to someone in the background (who would this be?) telling her what targets to track and acknowledge other SA information.

Can you give me some insight into the day-to-day ops tempo and what challenges to expect? I don't think that video did justice, thanks!

MACsensor
01-06-2010, 06:17 PM
Have they written CDC's yet?

Also, the only SO video I could find on the net was @ youtube. It had 2 civilian's using a Reaper simulator. The SO tracked a target, ran a pre-fire checklist with the pilot, and operated the designator onto the target after launch. She was also responsible to listen to someone in the background (who would this be?) telling her what targets to track and acknowledge other SA information.

Can you give me some insight into the day-to-day ops tempo and what challenges to expect? I don't think that video did justice, thanks!
Not sure about the CDCs yet, but I'm sure they're working on it.
There are plenty more videos on youtube and lots of publicly available info online about MQ-1/MQ-9 UAVs (or UAS or RPV...whatever term they decide to use this week.) It's not uncommon to find pictures or videos of civilians at the controls because there are a lot of contractors involved with the programs. There are civilian instructors, the manufacturer and other civilian agencies that operate similar UAVs domestically just to name a few. On the mission however, you'll always find uniformed airmen in the seat. As for the "someone in the background" (I didn't see the video you saw), but that was likely the lesser known third crew member that many units utilize and that would be the mission coordinator (intel support.)
As for day to day ops, I can't get into details. Besides, every squadron is a little different. There are plenty of news stories out there from many news outlets that have come to visit Creech. Those can give you a basic overview.

MACsensor
01-06-2010, 06:30 PM
Don't get me wrong, you could always to be picked to deploy at any time, but in my experience it's rare. I can't speak for any other base besides Creech, I have not been to either of the NM bases. Creech is in the middle of nowhere, or at least on the outskirts of nowhere. It's grown a lot in the past few years. It's a bit remote and certainly not conveniently located but I like it. At least you get to live in Las Vegas, from what I here there is not nearly as interesting a city near the other bases.
As for the length of training, it's not too long, but I wouldn't call it short either. From what I understand, new 1U's will go through a few weeks at EAUC, then go to Randolph for the basic course which is 3 weeks, then stay at Randolph and spend 2 or 3 weeks with the UFC pilots, then go to the FTU (one of them at least, there are two now), The FTU will take 3months or so, then you are "basic qualified" but you still have to go through mission specific training at the operational unit you are assigned to which could take anywhere from 2-6 weeks or more. Then you can start doing the job on your own, but you never stop learning.
It's a bit of a long road but don't be discourged by that.
Hope that helps. Good luck.

WRX88
01-06-2010, 06:50 PM
Hey MACsensor, I'm trying to get station at Creech, how is daily life there? Do must people live at Nellis and drive to work? I heard its a one hour drive. Any information would be great.

MACsensor
01-06-2010, 07:03 PM
Hey MACsensor, I'm trying to get station at Creech, how is daily life there? Do must people live at Nellis and drive to work? I heard its a one hour drive. Any information would be great.
You can live at or near Nellis, but a lot of Creech folks live closer than an hour drive. There are other parts of Vegas that are only 30 minutes away so the commute is not too bad. There is a bus that runs from Nellis to Creech regularly and it makes a stop in NW Vegas before hitting the highway out to Creech. It's not always convenient to everyone's schedule but it's an option. A lot of people car-pool as well. The commute adds some time to your day, but overall, it's really not bad. Personally, I like my job and I like working at Creech. It's a small old base that has grown a lot in the past few years and is still growing faster every month. It's a bit remote, a bit different, but I like it.

fwbprobin
01-06-2010, 07:06 PM
:cool:
You can live at or near Nellis, but a lot of Creech folks live closer than an hour drive. There are other parts of Vegas that are only 30 minutes away so the commute is not too bad. There is a bus that runs from Nellis to Creech regularly and it makes a stop in NW Vegas before hitting the highway out to Creech. It's not always convenient to everyone's schedule but it's an option. A lot of people car-pool as well. The commute adds some time to your day, but overall, it's really not bad. Personally, I like my job and I like working at Creech. It's a small old base that has grown a lot in the past few years and is still growing faster every month. It's a bit remote, a bit different, but I like it.

Ah, no offense but now I hope I don't get Creech. I currently work at Schriever and commute about 20-30 min one way as it is. Although it wouldn't be to bad to be by Vegas so maybe it wouldn't be so bad.

MACsensor
01-06-2010, 07:07 PM
Wow. I joined this forum less than 24 hours ago and I've already been asked a dozen questions in the forum and through private messages. Looks like I have my work cut out for me. I will be happy to answer your questions as I can, but I need some sleep now. Working nights and I have been up a few too many hours after my shift.
I hope I am being helpful, thanks guys.

one4tw
01-06-2010, 07:07 PM
Not sure about the CDCs yet, but I'm sure they're working on it.
There are plenty more videos on youtube and lots of publicly available info online about MQ-1/MQ-9 UAVs (or UAS or RPV...whatever term they decide to use this week.) It's not uncommon to find pictures or videos of civilians at the controls because there are a lot of contractors involved with the programs. There are civilian instructors, the manufacturer and other civilian agencies that operate similar UAVs domestically just to name a few. On the mission however, you'll always find uniformed airmen in the seat. As for the "someone in the background" (I didn't see the video you saw), but that was likely the lesser known third crew member that many units utilize and that would be the mission coordinator (intel support.)
As for day to day ops, I can't get into details. Besides, every squadron is a little different. There are plenty of news stories out there from many news outlets that have come to visit Creech. Those can give you a basic overview.

I've seen the MQ-1 & 9 videos (usually infrared) but what I was looking for is a step back where you can see the operators actually working. This obviously isn't the place to give out any mission info, I was looking for very general descriptions such as "it's challenging to operate some of the equipment while talking on the radio, etc."

Thanks!

fwbprobin
01-06-2010, 07:08 PM
Wow. I joined this forum less than 24 hours ago and I've already been asked a dozen questions in the forum and through private messages. Looks like I have my work cut out for me. I will be happy to answer your questions as I can, but I need some sleep now. Working nights and I have been up a few too many hours after my shift.
I hope I am being helpful, thanks guys.

Thanks for all your insight!

MACsensor
01-06-2010, 07:09 PM
:cool:

Ah, no offense but now I hope I don't get Creech. I currently work at Schriever and commute about 20-30 min one way as it is. Although it wouldn't be to bad to be by Vegas so maybe it wouldn't be so bad.
Don't worry, I'm not offended. To each their own, you gotta do what you gotta do. I can only offer my perspective. Vegas is pretty cool though.

MACsensor
01-06-2010, 07:13 PM
I've seen the MQ-1 & 9 videos (usually infrared) but what I was looking for is a step back where you can see the operators actually working. This obviously isn't the place to give out any mission info, I was looking for very general descriptions such as "it's challenging to operate some of the equipment while talking on the radio, etc."

Thanks!
You certainly need to be able to multitask. You have your responsibilities as a crew member, as the sensor operator, multiple screens and computer programs to monitor, radio chatter and more...You always need to keed a high level of SA. Not many SOs talk on the radios though, it depends on the unit you are assigned to and your qualifications. I work the radios regularly, both with air traffic control and with troops on the ground. You learn to handle it all. Again, search the internet for news stories if you want to see some crew footage. CNN has done a few pieces at Creech, so has 60 minutes.

one4tw
01-06-2010, 07:16 PM
You certainly need to be able to multitask. You have your responsibilities as a crew member, as the sensor operator, multiple screens and computer programs to monitor, radio chatter and more...You always need to keed a high level of SA. Not many SOs talk on the radios though, it depends on the unit you are assigned to and your qualifications. I work the radios regularly, both with air traffic control and with troops on the ground. You learn to handle it all.

Perfect! Thanks for all the help and get some rest

kminer24
01-06-2010, 11:41 PM
Sorry guys the SSgt slot drop was from me. Good luck to you guys going for the last 8 slots though!

Barberakb
01-07-2010, 12:08 PM
Sorry guys the SSgt slot drop was from me. Good luck to you guys going for the last 8 slots though!

Get called an azzhat some?

one4tw
01-07-2010, 02:17 PM

At least it was a guy from this forum. When are you're class dates and when did your application go to a (3)?

Where does Azzhat come from? Is that a political television thing? It's pretty funny.

kminer24
01-07-2010, 02:28 PM
i put my app in 20 NOV went a 3 that week then went 3 to 6 on 05 JAN. my class starts 09 April. and as for azzhat,,,is that like french for awesome??? cuz if it is, then yes

curtst
01-07-2010, 02:31 PM
i put my app in 20 NOV went a 3 that week then went 3 to 6 on 05 JAN. my class starts 09 April. and as for azzhat,,,is that like french for awesome??? cuz if it is, then yes

Were you a mandatory retrainee?

Barberakb
01-07-2010, 04:09 PM
I don't know where it comes from and I don't think it's French. And no it doesn't mean your awesome.

Basically, It's an insult. Meaning someone who has their head up their butt, so they are/have an a**hat.

Get it?

Vonkirmit
01-07-2010, 05:22 PM
Well looks like all the Tech slots are gone. It was a good run while it lasted, good luck to FTA SSgt and the 1 MSgt LOL

Gunner7
01-07-2010, 05:31 PM
Well looks like all the Tech slots are gone. It was a good run while it lasted, good luck to FTA SSgt and the 1 MSgt LOL

If you see retraining advisory note 504 in any AFSC with retraining in objectives, you have a green light to request a quota from one pay grade up/down as an exception to policy. So a TSgt can pull one of the SSgt slots.

Vonkirmit
01-07-2010, 05:33 PM
If you see retraining advisory note 504 in any AFSC with retraining in objectives, you have a green light to request a quota from one pay grade up/down as an exception to policy. So a TSgt can pull one of the SSgt slots.

Its worth a try. We have till the 20th for them to finish the Phase II so I guess I better get working on another ETP letter commander going to love this one LOL.

one4tw
01-07-2010, 07:21 PM

It seemed like forever... I finally went to a (6) today!:) I start Aircrew Fundies 9 APR also. Can't wait!!!

Skunk Face
01-07-2010, 07:26 PM
It seemed like forever... I finally went to a (6) today!:) I start Aircrew Fundies 9 APR also. Can't wait!!!

Lucky :) ... You guys are killing me.... I want some class dates! Were you a mandatory retrain or an ETP? I am starting to think the AFPC gods are against me.

one4tw
01-07-2010, 07:31 PM
Lucky :) ... You guys are killing me.... I want some class dates! Were you a mandatory retrain or an ETP? I am starting to think the AFPC gods are against me.

ETP. SrA filling a Staff slot. I bet you will be next, we both started around the same time.

Skunk Face
01-07-2010, 07:43 PM
Thanks. I am a Staff ETP as well. Just trying to see if there is any rhyme or reason to class date hand outs…. Doesn’t look like there is. Maybe they do it by height and hair color. :)

Skunk Face
01-07-2010, 08:53 PM
Anyone have a list of all the course numbers? I found a link on AFPC that list all formal training seats available. I know of UAS BSOC and I already completed Aircrew Fundies. Anyone know the numbers of the other course(s)?

Jumper5
01-07-2010, 09:15 PM
Thanks. I am a Staff ETP as well. Just trying to see if there is any rhyme or reason to class date hand outs…. Doesn’t look like there is. Maybe they do it by height and hair color. :)

I think we got picked up quickly because we are good enough, we are smart enough, and doggone it, people like us.

Anyone have a list of all the course numbers? I found a link on AFPC that list all formal training seats available. I know of UAS BSOC and I already completed Aircrew Fundies. Anyone know the numbers of the other course(s)?

UAS Fundamentals Course (UFC), Course #: UP4AA

kminer24
01-07-2010, 11:28 PM

Yea I was an ETP SSgt. congrats man see you in class!!!

kminer24
01-07-2010, 11:31 PM
I don't know where it comes from and I don't think it's French. And no it doesn't mean your awesome.

Basically, It's an insult. Meaning someone who has their head up their butt, so they are/have an a**hat.

Get it?

Thank you for breaking that down for me I'm totally in the loop now...(sarcastically) to help you out since you didnt catch it the first time.

RUGERRIVERA
01-08-2010, 07:40 AM
Has anyone been thru Tech School for 1U0X1 Aircrew Fundamentals and UAS BSOC? If so, any advice on what to expect? Any math that i need to brush up on? I was approved retraining 30 Dec 09 and below is my class dates:

Projected Course Start Date: 05 MAR 2010
Projected Course Graduation Date: 22 MAR 2010

Projected Course Start Date: 26 MAR 2010
Projected Course Graduation Date: 29 APR 2010

RUGERRIVERA
01-08-2010, 07:51 AM
Is anyone NOT GETTING their SRB 6 Zone A for 1U0X1 because they need to re-enlist for retainability? My 4yr contract ends in May 2010 and Advisory Note 4G6 states: Need 36 months retainablity to accept retraining. My tech School ends 29 Apr 2010 and they wont allow me to extend. So i re-enlist on 14 Jan 2010 and wont get the SRB.

MACsensor
01-08-2010, 08:26 AM
Is anyone NOT GETTING their SRB 6 Zone A for 1U0X1 because they need to re-enlist for retainability? My 4yr contract ends in May 2010 and Advisory Note 4G6 states: Need 36 months retainablity to accept retraining. My tech School ends 29 Apr 2010 and they wont allow me to extend. So i re-enlist on 14 Jan 2010 and wont get the SRB.
Unfortunately, that's just how it goes sometimes. You can extend for up to 22 months (or something close to that I believe) but that will not get you the retainability required to retrain. To get the SRB, you have to actually have the required AFSC...in your case you can't obtain the AFSC/retrain into it without first reenlisting under your current AFSC. (You should still get a bonus under your current AFSC, if it has an SRB) Your case is especially bad timing though. If you could reenlist right after you graduate as a 1U031, you would get the bonus; but you can't even go to tech school without retainability.
It happens dude, it happened to me 3 years ago when I retrained. I just was happy to stay in the Air Force. If I didn't get the retraining I applied for, I was going to be "force-shaped" out (everybody remember that fun time?) So I got to reenlist because I had a new job waiting for me, but I couldn't get the big bonus. Still have yet to get a bonus in my career, didn't get one when I signed-up or reenlisted (so sorry, I have no sympathy)...but my time is coming soon. I'm still in zone B and my window opens in a few months so I'm looking forward to that.
Sorry about your luck, but as they say...count your blessings; there are still a lot of jobs that have no bonus at all. You can look forward to zone B and some enlisted flight crew incentive pay (that's coming soon, details still undetermined.) My only advice would be to reenlist for the shortest term that you can to get the retainability you need and not knock yourself out of the next zone.
Good luck in your retraining and maybe I'll see you soon.

Needtoretrain
01-08-2010, 01:57 PM
Has anyone been thru Tech School for 1U0X1 Aircrew Fundamentals and UAS BSOC? If so, any advice on what to expect? Any math that i need to brush up on? I was approved retraining 30 Dec 09 and below is my class dates:

Projected Course Start Date: 05 MAR 2010
Projected Course Graduation Date: 22 MAR 2010

Projected Course Start Date: 26 MAR 2010
Projected Course Graduation Date: 29 APR 2010

Looks like we have the same class dates. REDD and a couple of other people on this forum have the same class dates so ill See you in March. I also had to re enlist in order to get my class dates. I only signed for 4 yrs in order to get that 7 SRB sooner. I'm excited about going to techschool and I can't wait . Public Health was trying to out me through a Flying Class III physical after I told them that it wasnt required. So, I got in contact CEA In-Service Recruiter for 1U0X1 and he called Public Health personally and fixed the problem. So if any of you out there have any problems let me know so that I can give you his contact information. This is what he said in an email he sent me....
"Glad to help, if you or any of your folks need help let me know."

-MACsensor
I know you explained a little on the schedule,but how many hours are you expected to work on any given shift and what is the schedule like ie 3 days on 1 day off, 2 days on 1 day off?

ellisc
01-08-2010, 04:28 PM
Looks like we have the same class dates. REDD and a couple of other people on this forum have the same class dates so ill See you in March. I also had to re enlist in order to get my class dates. I only signed for 4 yrs in order to get that 7 SRB sooner. I'm excited about going to techschool and I can't wait . Public Health was trying to out me through a Flying Class III physical after I told them that it wasnt required. So, I got in contact CEA In-Service Recruiter for 1U0X1 and he called Public Health personally and fixed the problem. So if any of you out there have any problems let me know so that I can give you his contact information. This is what he said in an email he sent me....

-MACsensor
I know you explained a little on the schedule,but how many hours are you expected to work on any given shift and what is the schedule like ie 3 days on 1 day off, 2 days on 1 day off?
Could I please have that contact info. I have been fighting with the clinic since middle November and have tried to tell them I don't need the Physical but they are holding it up anyways. I'm new to this whole thread thing so fogive me if I am not going about this right way, I haven't sent any messages before. Thanks for your help.

Gunner7
01-08-2010, 04:40 PM
Could I please have that contact info. I have been fighting with the clinic since middle November and have tried to tell them I don't need the Physical but they are holding it up anyways. I'm new to this whole thread thing so fogive me if I am not going about this right way, I haven't sent any messages before. Thanks for your help.

The guy you want to fix this is MSgt Bergin (william.bergin@pentagon.af.mil) send him an email with the name and number of the person who is scheduling the class III instead of the GBAC. If you are only applying for the 1U0 position he should have it fixed soon after.

ellisc
01-08-2010, 04:46 PM
The guy you want to fix this is MSgt Bergin (william.bergin@pentagon.af.mil) send him an email with the name and number of the person who is scheduling the class III instead of the GBAC. If you are only applying for the 1U0 position he should have it fixed soon after.
Thanks for the info. They already did the Physical, I was still confused at the time as to what I needed but then I asked them to look into it and showed them the AFI but still nothing and I think they got upset when I got my leadership involved because of some issues I was having and now their just dragging their feet. Like I said this has been going on since November.

fwbprobin
01-08-2010, 04:50 PM
:D I got approved for the elgibility portion of my cross train now I have to get my physical and all that good stuff to send off my package. I'm so excited to get the ball rolling.

WRX88
01-08-2010, 05:22 PM
So my wife got pick up so thats two slots in my family, we were both six year enlists, so I had exactly 36 months retainability with my extension. My wife doesn't, they said all the can do is max out her extension, since she is not in her reenlistment time frame. But for everyone out there that had to extend, you can drop you extension and reenlisted with 30 day of graduation from BSOC Course and collect on the SRB.

Hey MACsensor the enlisted flight crew incentive pay hasn't started yet? And do you see a lot of mil to mil work the same shift?

fwbprobin
01-08-2010, 05:30 PM
I'm glad I don't hit my re-enlistment window till September of this year. So I have to extend to get the 36 month retainability and I'll be re-enlisting as a SSgt. That's cool you and your wife both got picked up.

WRX88
01-08-2010, 05:52 PM
Thanks, just reminder you can't enter into your extension period and to do it within 30 days of grad date!

fwbprobin
01-08-2010, 05:58 PM
Who had the problem of Public Health telling them they need the Flight III physical? Because I am having the same problem and not getting anywhere with them. They just keep readign the AFI to me...

MACsensor
01-08-2010, 06:07 PM

-MACsensor
It all depends on what squadron you get assigned to operationally. Based on what I know, most squadrons have a "regular" shift (around 8 hours... plus sign-out, brief, debrief, commute). How much time you spend in the seat depends on manning, and right now manning is strectched thin...expect to get plenty of seat time. You will have plenty more to do with the rest of your shift, there's always work to do to keep up all your currencies and keep up on knowledge. Plus your additional duties, supervisory duties etc.
The days on/off rotation is again dependant on the squadron you are with. There's 5/2, 6/3, 4/2, 5/3, and likely other possibilities. Also, expect to regularly rotate shifts as opposed to getting assigned to one shift permanently. That may not be true for all squadrons but I know it is for a few. Hope this info helps.

MACsensor
01-08-2010, 06:14 PM
So my wife got pick up so thats two slots in my family, we were both six year enlists, so I had exactly 36 months retainability with my extension. My wife doesn't, they said all the can do is max out her extension, since she is not in her reenlistment time frame. But for everyone out there that had to extend, you can drop you extension and reenlisted with 30 day of graduation from BSOC Course and collect on the SRB.

Hey MACsensor the enlisted flight crew incentive pay hasn't started yet? And do you see a lot of mil to mil work the same shift?
No flight pay yet. I have an e-mail that says it has been approved, but the details have not been ironed out yet. There's a lot of people who have done this job over the last 10+ years that never got such a benefit. If I hear anything, I'll post it.
As for mil-mil couples, I only know of a few. Some work together some don't. Some aren't even in the same squadron and/or on a similar schedule. I'm sure every squadron would evaluate on a case by case basis and do their best to accomodate as much as they can but there are no guarantees. The mission comes first, make no mistake about that. The Air Force can joint/spouse assign you to the same base, but they don't have to put you in the same unit or schedule. Good luck, whatever happens you need to make it work.

WRX88
01-08-2010, 06:24 PM
Thanks for the info MACsensor.

MACsensor
01-08-2010, 06:33 PM
Did everyone see the Wings they designed for the UAS Pilots?

Here's the story: http://www.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123170151

Here's a link to a picture of them: http://www.afblues.com/images/wings%20little.jpg

Just thought ya'll would like to see them.
Just a note to add to this post. The wings shown in the link are for the "beta test" pilots. The "beta" pilots are non-rated officers who volunteered to become UAS pilots as part of a test program. The come from all sorts of career fields, get some aviation and flying training (not as much as traditional pilot school from what I understand) and then they go to the FTU to get qual'd on the UAS. So the Air Force had a new set of wings designed. I've only met one of these "beta" dudes and I haven't had a chance to fly with him yet, but he's passed through all the training so I'm sure he'll do fine. Mostly, the pilots are all "traditional" AF pilots who wear regular pilot wings. There are a few navigators who were allowed to become UAS pilots as well, they still wear their nav wings.
Supposedly, the enlisted wings are on the way and they will be fashioned much like "regular" enlisted aircrew wings with some changes that are similar to the UAS pilot wings (I think). But I haven't seen them yet and nobody is wearing them yet. I saw a picture of the first BSOC class graduates and they were all wearing wings, but they picture was not detailed enough for me to see what they looked like. I can't find an image online anywhere for the SO wings, but I'd really like to know what they look like and when/where I can get them. After doing the job, I believe the wings are completely justified, contrary to what some people say (I'm sure some of you have read the forums bashing the idea that UAS crews are aviators.) Now I have the AFSC that has been aligned under the CEA function mgr...so where are the wings? If anyone has any info it would be greatly appreciated.

Villegasm
01-09-2010, 06:10 PM
Unfortunately, that's just how it goes sometimes. You can extend for up to 22 months (or something close to that I believe) but that will not get you the retainability required to retrain. To get the SRB, you have to actually have the required AFSC...in your case you can't obtain the AFSC/retrain into it without first reenlisting under your current AFSC. (You should still get a bonus under your current AFSC, if it has an SRB) Your case is especially bad timing though. If you could reenlist right after you graduate as a 1U031, you would get the bonus; but you can't even go to tech school without retainability.
It happens dude, it happened to me 3 years ago when I retrained. I just was happy to stay in the Air Force. If I didn't get the retraining I applied for, I was going to be "force-shaped" out (everybody remember that fun time?) So I got to reenlist because I had a new job waiting for me, but I couldn't get the big bonus. Still have yet to get a bonus in my career, didn't get one when I signed-up or reenlisted (so sorry, I have no sympathy)...but my time is coming soon. I'm still in zone B and my window opens in a few months so I'm looking forward to that.
Sorry about your luck, but as they say...count your blessings; there are still a lot of jobs that have no bonus at all. You can look forward to zone B and some enlisted flight crew incentive pay (that's coming soon, details still undetermined.) My only advice would be to reenlist for the shortest term that you can to get the retainability you need and not knock yourself out of the next zone.
Good luck in your retraining and maybe I'll see you soon.

What is the required retainability? My training rip says 36 months, the ETCA website says 48 months. I am in the same boat though, my current DOS is Apr 2011, I have to reenlist now just to get accepted for school, I think they should make an exception though for those retrainee that have very close DOS or are in ZONE C timeframe. I was in the fence of getting out, and I was going to if I did not get approve. But you know I'm just happy I got approve, finish 8 more years of AD doing this kick ass job and then just retire.

Villegasm
01-09-2010, 06:14 PM
I think we got picked up quickly because we are good enough, we are smart enough, and doggone it, people like us.

UAS Fundamentals Course (UFC), Course #: UP4AA

Jumper,

I also don't have the date for the 3rd class, so we are in the same boat.

My class dates are:

AIRCREW FUNDAMENTALS: 22 JUN-8 JUL
BASIC UAS:14 JUL-17 AUG

Anyone else in here in the same class as me?

Gunner7
01-09-2010, 10:20 PM
Who had the problem of Public Health telling them they need the Flight III physical? Because I am having the same problem and not getting anywhere with them. They just keep readign the AFI to me...

Precision and reliability right? I do believe General Schwartz would need an ambien prescription if he knew how completety retarded SOME of the people in the clinic are. You are in a great position to practice the art of selling. Thats right, you have to convince some mensa at the hospital that they have been wrong and unfortunately you are right. I would ask them if the damage done by an unnecessary chest x-ray is reportable as malpractice. Just because they are reading you the instruction does not mean they are "getting it". There is a very good chance that when they saw a reference to using a AF Form 1042 they instantly assumed it was a class III flight physical why, because they are too fucking lazy to read the form which clearly states: Medical Recomendation for Flying or Special Operational Duty. The Ground Based Aircraft Controller physical is not a flight physical. There are eight classes of flight physical and this is not one of them. Section 6I (page 115) is very clear that people going into the 1U0XX AFS need the GBAC. Page 58 tells them to use an AF FRM 1042 to document people falling under exams in section 6I. Page 179 shows the routing of the exam is different than that of an Air Traffic Controller because it is routed to AETC/SGPS instead of being locally certified. If you are tired of talking to them give the CEA recruiter an e-mail with contact information of the brain trust and he will fix it.

Sickofmx
01-09-2010, 10:48 PM
I think the idiots at my flight medicine have screwed me, I have been trying to get this physical done since October. Did everyone else get the hernia check? Apparenly I have a hernia that will not have any affect on my physically but will not allow the clinic to complete my physical.

Gunner7
01-09-2010, 10:59 PM
I think the idiots at my flight medicine have screwed me, I have been trying to get this physical done since October. Did everyone else get the hernia check? Apparenly I have a hernia that will not have any affect on my physically but will not allow the clinic to complete my physical.

First thing I would ask them is what exam are they trying to get approved. Is it an initial class III or a GBAC? If a hernia is a disqualifying condition for GBAC there should be a waiver and it should not take this long to get it looked at. Have them answer the first question and then ask them to look in PEP (some exam tracking system) to see the status.

WRX88
01-10-2010, 12:05 AM
What is the required retainability? My training rip says 36 months, the ETCA website says 48 months. I am in the same boat though, my current DOS is Apr 2011, I have to reenlist now just to get accepted for school, I think they should make an exception though for those retrainee that have very close DOS or are in ZONE C timeframe. I was in the fence of getting out, and I was going to if I did not get approve. But you know I'm just happy I got approve, finish 8 more years of AD doing this kick ass job and then just retire.

I call the CEA recruiter MSgt Bergin about the ETCA requirement and he said don't worry about that 36 months is what is need. Also on my training rip it says 36 retainabitly required. As far as the third class MSgt Bergin also said that after BSCOC after rip comes down and its for the thrid class.

phrbp_NorEst
01-10-2010, 10:17 PM
Does anyone know the percentages of people actually getting selected for this retrain? I've been told by AFPC that I'm eligible to crosstrain and I'm currently waiting on my list of hospital appts from Public Health. I haven't been able to find anything with any stats like that and was wondering if anyone had seen something along those lines. Thanks!

Gunner7
01-11-2010, 12:13 AM
Does anyone know the percentages of people actually getting selected for this retrain? I've been told by AFPC that I'm eligible to crosstrain and I'm currently waiting on my list of hospital appts from Public Health. I haven't been able to find anything with any stats like that and was wondering if anyone had seen something along those lines. Thanks!

If AFPC knew the answer they would never share it. It depends on your category of enlistment. If you are a FTA you compete each month against others and get racked and stacked based on seven criteria. TIG, TIS, EPRs, God knows what else. It might as well be shoe size and eye color as far as picking the most enthusiastic and able to do the job.The good news is that even if you don't get picked up in the three board process you can apply as an ETP out of your window because the 1U0XX AFS is critical. NCOs on the other hand are dealt with first come first served. The bad news here is that most people with a General score over 64 or an Electronic score over 54 with colorvision and the ability to get a TS clearance are in jobs that are most likely balanced. That means they have to accomplish a "Balanced" AFSC waiver request. Any ETP will tack on additional processing time which is hard to take as you watch the numbers dwindle down to zero. The best way to approcah this is if you see at least one open retraining in slot...submit the initial request to retrain. This will allow you to start the GBAC now so even if ths FYs quotas dissapear, you will be first out of the gate in August when AFPC loads the new FY slots. I know thisa is not the way it should be but based on the performance of those charged with putting the right people in the right place at the right time, it is prudent to think ahead of the force management types.

Needtoretrain
01-11-2010, 02:13 AM
GUNNER or MACSENSOR

So the classes are as followed and correct me if i'm wrong...
-AFC-LACKLAND
-BSOC-RANDOLPH
-FTU-RANDOLPH
-Then a 45 day course at either creech or Holloman??? If this is true, would non Pipeline students go back to home station after FTU then PCS to either Creech or Holloman to finish the rest of the 45-day training???

bcoco14
01-11-2010, 02:28 AM
. That means they have to accomplish a "Balanced" AFSC waiver request. Any ETP will tack on additional processing time which is hard to take as you watch the numbers dwindle down to zero. The best way to approcah this is if you see at least one open retraining in slot...submit the initial request to retrain. This will allow you to start the GBAC now so even if ths FYs quotas dissapear, you will be first out of the gate in August when AFPC loads the new FY slots. I know thisa is not the way it should be but based on the performance of those charged with putting the right people in the right place at the right time, it is prudent to think ahead of the force management types.

I have a guy in my shop who is also doing an ETP for lack of quota seeing as how the last TSgt slot was filled. Don't know if it will work for him but will post the outcome either way.

phrbp_NorEst
01-11-2010, 02:54 AM
I have a guy in my shop who is also doing an ETP for lack of quota seeing as how the last TSgt slot was filled. Don't know if it will work for him but will post the outcome either way.

Where did you see that the last TSgt slot was filled for this AFSC?

phrbp_NorEst
01-11-2010, 03:23 AM

Thanks...hope to hear some good news. Keep us posted!

Gunner7
01-11-2010, 11:39 AM
Where did you see that the last TSgt slot was filled for this AFSC?

Retraining advisory:

https://ask.afpc.randolph.af.mil/PPA/disp_content.asp?height=1000&file=retrain_advisory