PDA

View Full Version : Sensor Operator Retraining (1U0X1)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

jasonstiller
07-21-2011, 02:19 PM
I spoke with AFPC today and theys said that since im overseas I would "probably" out process my current base and leave for good beucase it would cost the AF too much to bring me back to outproccess...I would get my assignment 60 days from my deros. What twfast2c makes sense though and thats what I thought would happen...

Oh and Sukkari, I asked AFPC when I would get a class and she said the person who does it would start assigning class dates thru next week. So we should hear something by then.

Sukkari
07-21-2011, 02:43 PM
Oh and Sukkari, I asked AFPC when I would get a class and she said the person who does it would start assigning class dates thru next week. So we should hear something by then.

Awesome! Thanks for the info

Nuked
07-21-2011, 07:01 PM
Got some good news for those of us that had to extend for retainability and were eligible for the SRB. Just talked with AFPC and after you get your 3-lvl and are within 36 months of you obligated service commitment (new DOS after extensions) you can re-enlist. Now having said that, if you are 25-36 months out you can only reenlist for 3 years. 13-24 months out you can re-enlist for 4 years. See AFI 36-2606 Table 5.6 for the rest of the timeline. So that would mean that you would be able to qualify for the SRB before 12 months prior to DOS like my MPF told me.

Now I know that this will spark the debate about people only going into 1U0 for the money... But for some people, this is just a nice addition to getting out of your current AFSC. Personnaly, I wanted the job before I learned it had an SRB. For me, it will make it easier on me to support my child that has disablities.

With saying all that, there will always be that guy that looks at the money first, then at the job description. All I can say is that I hope that I dont have to be that airman's supervisor.

jasonstiller
07-21-2011, 08:08 PM
Great info! Here's a dumb question. Ill hit my 13 yr mark this August. My enlistment is up March 2014 (I re-enlisted before I took this short tour) Will I still be in a zone for an SRB if I re-enlisted in 2013-2014?

LoadtoSensorOp
07-21-2011, 08:15 PM
Great info! Here's a dumb question. Ill hit my 13 yr mark this August. My enlistment is up March 2014 (I re-enlisted before I took this short tour) Will I still be in a zone for an SRB if I re-enlisted in 2013-2014?

Zone C goes from 10-14 years so it looks like you're out of luck. You may get lucky and get an SRB for Zone E in the future if there is a bonus at that time. Zone E is 18-20 year mark and only a few AFSC's get it.

jasonstiller
07-22-2011, 08:21 AM
well sheeit....glad I told the wife not to give her hopes up lol.

jasonstiller
07-22-2011, 02:44 PM
Holy HELL! Got my freakin class date today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 22 June 2012!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!WOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

AeroNut
07-22-2011, 03:09 PM
Holy HELL! Got my freakin class date today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 22 June 2012!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!WOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Congratulations, but holy crap that class date is wayyyyy out there. Did you have any special circumstances that required a later class date?

IH8EngMTX
07-22-2011, 03:31 PM
Congrats Jason. My final big hurdle before heading to Holloman/Creech was done this morning, passed my PT Test (wasn't really worried but 3 months of being in a classroom and 42 days of leave plus PCS stress take their toll).

Sukkari
07-22-2011, 03:38 PM

Congrats!! I got my class date today too...27 Jan! What a great feeling, huh?

Nuked
07-22-2011, 04:08 PM

It should all depend on when you get your 3-lvl. If you can recieve it before your 14 yr mark (Aug 2012) then you will be able to re-enlist. However, the AFI says that you can only re-enlist at that point (25-36 months) for 3 years. Still better than nothing. Once you get your class dates contact your enlistments/extensions section at MPF at they should be able to hook you up.

EDIT: just seen your class date... Is your BSOC grad date before your 14 yr mark?

jasonstiller
07-22-2011, 04:18 PM
Nope :( BSOC grad date is 22 Aug, and my 14 yr mark is 2 Aug. Oh well, woulda been icing on the cake but icing makes you fat anyhow... :censored

Oh and im overseas, my DEROS is May 2012 thats why my class date is so far out.

jasonstiller
07-22-2011, 04:20 PM
Congrats!! I got my class date today too...27 Jan! What a great feeling, huh?

Congrats man! Hell yes its a good feeling, like a phew I made it kinda thing lol.

Barberakb
07-22-2011, 06:19 PM
It should all depend on when you get your 3-lvl. If you can recieve it before your 14 yr mark (Aug 2012) then you will be able to re-enlist. However, the AFI says that you can only re-enlist at that point (25-36 months) for 3 years. Still better than nothing. Once you get your class dates contact your enlistments/extensions section at MPF at they should be able to hook you up.

EDIT: just seen your class date... Is your BSOC grad date before your 14 yr mark?

It wouldn't matter anyway would it? He said he had already reenlisted. I didn't think you could reenlist unless you were in a certain window, like 6 months before your DOS? Even if you retrained and got your 3 lvl?

At least that is what reenlistments is telling me.

Nuked
07-22-2011, 06:33 PM
It wouldn't matter anyway would it? He said he had already reenlisted. I didn't think you could reenlist unless you were in a certain window, like 6 months before your DOS? Even if you retrained and got your 3 lvl?

At least that is what reenlistments is telling me.

That is what mine told me also. But then I went looking into the AFI and if you are within 36 months of your end of service commitment date you can re-enlist. How close you are to that date determines how much you can re-enlist for. See my post a couple pages back for the reference. This has been painfully confirmed with AFPC re-enlistments(35 min on hold).

fromxtor
07-24-2011, 09:45 PM
I don't want to rain on any of the other SSgt parade here, but I called AFPC to check on the status of my ETP letter as it had been over a month(I have a friend whose actually in tech school for 1U right now, and he knows the actual process required for the ETP letters. He says its super simple and shouldn't take as long as it did for him or others.) And in the process got told that my request is cancelled due to no more quotas and that I will have to re-apply in Oct. I thought it was quite nice of them, knowing I couldn't re-train at this time due to no quotas and they couldn't even let me know.:mad2

Anyway my flight physical will still be good at that point, so all I will need to do is get my ETP letter re-signed and attach all my other paperwork again. :pray2

twfast2c
07-24-2011, 10:51 PM
Fromxtor,
It took me just alittle over ten months for my ETP to get approved. Quotas are going pretty fast right now do to the NCORP that dropped two weeks ago. This actually helped me because my afsc is one that is flagged to get thirty five SSgt out for being over man. Or I would have been in the same shoes as you are now. Just keep on trying man eventually you'll get it. Good luck

turbosmitty
07-25-2011, 03:31 AM
I don't want to rain on any of the other SSgt parade here, but I called AFPC to check on the status of my ETP letter as it had been over a month(I have a friend whose actually in tech school for 1U right now, and he knows the actual process required for the ETP letters. He says its super simple and shouldn't take as long as it did for him or others.) And in the process got told that my request is cancelled due to no more quotas and that I will have to re-apply in Oct. I thought it was quite nice of them, knowing I couldn't re-train at this time due to no quotas and they couldn't even let me know.:mad2

Anyway my flight physical will still be good at that point, so all I will need to do is get my ETP letter re-signed and attach all my other paperwork again. :pray2

How is AFPC telling your there are no more quotas? There's still plenty of SSgt/TSgt slots available. The ETP process was explained to me this way; non-priors and folks without ETP letters fill class seats first. ETP holders fill the leftover seats. Either way, you can expect a long wait time with an ETP package. I waited 175 days as a status 3...some have waited longer. Just hang in there. Sooner or later your patients will pay off.

fromxtor
07-25-2011, 04:02 AM
^^ They cancelled my package.

SSgt Nolet,

All of the FY2011 quotas for 1U011 have been filled. Your retraining package has been cancelled.

Barberakb
07-25-2011, 01:25 PM

This happened to me last year. I reaaplied first thing on the morning of 1 Oct and was picked up within about 10 days. Make sure everything is good to go and reapply ASAP.

Retrainingreject
07-25-2011, 03:23 PM
How is AFPC telling your there are no more quotas? There's still plenty of SSgt/TSgt slots available. The ETP process was explained to me this way; non-priors and folks without ETP letters fill class seats first. ETP holders fill the leftover seats. Either way, you can expect a long wait time with an ETP package. I waited 175 days as a status 3...some have waited longer. Just hang in there. Sooner or later your patients will pay off.

They were talking about the FY11 quotas. Those members who want to apply for retraining but are not identified on the NCORP list need to wait until phase I is over, which AFPC told me was 1 OCT 11.

They shouldn't have denied your ETP yet though, becasue grade objectives are waiverable for 1U0 and there is still 1 remaining tech. slot. Likelyhood of a Staff making it is very slim, but its a chance nonetheless. of course if any staff is gonna make it, its gonna be me! :heh

Retrainingreject
07-25-2011, 03:26 PM
Oh, and good news for any of my fellow retraining rejects. If/when you resubmit in Oct., the ETP process will be different. A buddy of mine at AFPC retraining told me that for next round, they are streamlining the ETP process to be quicker than it has been. What does this mean, I don't really know. But hopefully it makes a difference.

JetMech
07-25-2011, 06:25 PM
well holy bat shit:jaw I just got the email that i got picked up for the last 2011 TSgt spot. man i'm going crazy. can't wait. good bye maintenance hello new career. my classes are in feb and mar. can't wait!!!!!!

Retrainingreject
07-25-2011, 06:33 PM
well holy bat shit:jaw I just got the email that i got picked up for the last 2011 TSgt spot. man i'm going crazy. can't wait. good bye maintenance hello new career. my classes are in feb and mar. can't wait!!!!!!

You summa b!%tch.... Congratulations!

I gotta know, are you a tech or a staff?

LoadtoSensorOp
07-25-2011, 06:33 PM
Congrats Jason. My final big hurdle before heading to Holloman/Creech was done this morning, passed my PT Test (wasn't really worried but 3 months of being in a classroom and 42 days of leave plus PCS stress take their toll).

Did you have to pass your PT test at home station or while you were at school? If at school while doing PT test, what are the consequences of not passing it?

LoadtoSensorOp
07-25-2011, 06:40 PM

Did the e-mail say it was for the 2011 slot? I still see the TSgt slot for 2011 on the Retraining Advisory page and 1 more Tech slot was gone today for 2012.

jasonstiller
07-25-2011, 07:00 PM

CONGRATS MAN!

fromxtor
07-25-2011, 08:06 PM
^^Thank you all for the kind words and encouragement, and congrats to those who got selected. You all better believe I will be at work on saturday (Oct 1), to re-apply for this.:heh

Sukkari
07-25-2011, 09:00 PM

Congrats! Not gonna miss MX at all myself. Your class in Feb? Looks like we might cross paths.

turbosmitty
07-25-2011, 10:28 PM

Hey you finally made it!! Congrats!! Class is going good so far. Can't wait to start BSOC! Its funny all the priors in my class are all 1U's and they're all coming from MX.

IH8EngMTX
07-25-2011, 10:38 PM
Did you have to pass your PT test at home station or while you were at school? If at school while doing PT test, what are the consequences of not passing it?

Homestation at 0700 in the fricken Florida humidity. At least it rained while I was running so that helped. I lol'd at everyone getting blisters from their soaking wet shoes while I was happy as a clam in my Five Fingers.

Anyway, Your PT Test has to stay current while at FTU, hence the reason for the test. I was due at the end of August so it had to be done anyway. The registrar at Holloman contacted me to get my PHA accomplished before I leave as it is a PITA to get one while at FTU according to them. Keep that in mind although I suspect most of you will PCS prior to going to Holloman so it is a non-issue for you guys I suppose.

My gripe now is that the civilian at langley in charge of doing the fund cite memo needed to cut my TDY en route orders decided to take leave Monday and Tuesday and I need it ASAP since I'm trying to leave by Thursday at the latest. No one in his office will answer either. I'll be harrassing someone tomorrow morning for sure though.

twfast2c
07-26-2011, 07:16 AM
Received my class dates Jan 2012 for CSD course. Anyone with the same class date?

JetMech
07-26-2011, 08:02 AM
Thanks for all the congrats. not sure if it was the 2011 or 2012, i figured it was the 2011 since i started the process on that cycle might have been the 2012 spot though because my career field is now overmanned for 2012. either way i can't believe it. i'm really looking forward to it. i love maintenance somedays but it's not what it was when i came in and i want a new challenage for the second half of my career. Sukkari-yeah class starts 17 feb-16 mar and then bsoc on 12 mar. not bad pretty close to back to back.

LoadtoSensorOp
07-26-2011, 12:55 PM
How long is BSOC now since they combined two of the classes?

Nuked
07-26-2011, 03:37 PM

Approx. 6 weeks. Mine runs 3 Jan - 10 Feb.

IH8EngMTX
07-26-2011, 09:53 PM
Got my fund site issue worked out and my final out is tommorrow. Hollomogordo, here I come.

turbosmitty
07-26-2011, 11:21 PM
Got my fund site issue worked out and my final out is tommorrow. Hollomogordo, here I come.

Alamaghetto!!

shotdown
07-27-2011, 12:21 AM
BSOC 2.0 is now 6 weeks long.

Congrats to those that just got a class date. Get ready to study hard.

lphill01
07-27-2011, 04:48 AM
BSOC 2.0 is now 6 weeks long.

Congrats to those that just got a class date. Get ready to study hard.

+1! "The tests are just easy enough to fail!" I'm going into block 7 tomorrow.

Retrainingreject
07-27-2011, 04:45 PM
Anyone else really curious as to what is going on with that one straggling Tech. slot for 2011? I know there are probably a lot of techs on here gunning for it... heck, I'm a staff gunning for it.

By the way, this is Wouldkillforthisjob. have been on this forum for a while but lost all my login info and had to create a new account.

rso
07-28-2011, 12:49 PM
Hey guys,

I'm new here and looking for a little help. I was tagged on the NCORP list(a blessing) and i really want to retrain into SO but my Public Health is driving me nuts. They say the timeline for the GBC Physical is roughly 60 days. That can't be right, can it? I was digging around in AFI 48-123 and the GBC physical portion doesn't look that in depth. There is no way i can make the deadline for Phase 1 if that is the case.

So i guess my question is, how long did it take everyone else for their GBC Physical?

rips
07-28-2011, 01:02 PM
it took me roughly a month to get it, but after the 3rd week i called them non-stop

rso
07-28-2011, 01:12 PM
it took me roughly a month to get it, but after the 3rd week i called them non-stop

I'm only on my 3rd day with them and I'm already bugging the hell out of them lol. I just dont trust them because at first they were trying to give me a Class IIU physical. A month from now might be too long. From talking with AFPC, it seems the SO spots are going quick.

GIJOE
07-28-2011, 01:25 PM
I got he last TSgt out quota for my AFSC 2A3X3...I bugged them non stop as well. I'm currently on a small base and this was the girl's first one. It took less than a month but they told me this would normally take them 2-3 months. They hooked me up. The main thing they nee is a 1042 & 422. Ask them to get that to you and you will be good! Keep pressing with the long and hard ground based physical but it has to go to AETC HQ. That will take a while even when your base public health gets done. Hope this helps...I wish they had told me this earlier at AFPC.

Note, I also had good people helping me get thru the red tape on the AFPC end and the flight medicine end. I'm a crew chief but am currently the Flight Safety NCO so I work alongside the Flight Med Doctors often on investigations.

Good luck everyone, don't give up! Turbosmitty helped keep me motivated not to give up and I owe this "dream job turn reality" to him! Thanks bro! Got my class date, now its a waiting game.

LoadtoSensorOp
07-28-2011, 01:50 PM
Anyone else really curious as to what is going on with that one straggling Tech. slot for 2011? I know there are probably a lot of techs on here gunning for it... heck, I'm a staff gunning for it.

By the way, this is Wouldkillforthisjob. have been on this forum for a while but lost all my login info and had to create a new account.

I was wondering the same. I am hoping it is for me. I'm being medically disqaulifed from flying and the functional here on base called the AETC functional to let them know they will be seeing my name come across their desk soon.

Slyflyfox
07-28-2011, 02:02 PM
+1! "The tests are just easy enough to fail!" I'm going into block 7 tomorrow.

+2 "The tests are just easy enough to fail!" heard that line before lol.

In other news: -TMO is taking forever to move my Sh*t! -My buddy from Tech who was already stationed at Nellis says there's like 70+ Casuals waiting at Creech. I'll up that in 3 weeks :0/

jasonstiller
07-28-2011, 09:33 PM
What do you guys mean by "just easy enough to fail"? Your scaring me lol.

It took me 2.5 months to get my physical done. I was bugging the crap out of them at least twice a week.

rips
07-28-2011, 09:34 PM
+2 "The tests are just easy enough to fail!" heard that line before lol.

In other news: -TMO is taking forever to move my Sh*t! -My buddy from Tech who was already stationed at Nellis says there's like 70+ Casuals waiting at Creech. I'll up that in 3 weeks :0/

casuals mean exactly what?? lol i take it guys waiting to go to FTU?

Sukkari
07-28-2011, 09:58 PM
Well I kissed the SRB goodbye today. Oh well...just happy to be approved.

rips
07-28-2011, 10:13 PM
Well I kissed the SRB goodbye today. Oh well...just happy to be approved.
reenlisted?

Sukkari
07-28-2011, 10:50 PM
Yeah, I'll be reenlisting for 4 years on 10 Aug. I could've used the money but I probably would have even given up pay to have this opportunity!

shotdown
07-28-2011, 11:04 PM
casuals mean exactly what?? lol i take it guys waiting to go to FTU?

Yep. If I don't get a squadron assigned soon, I'll be sitting with them.

DennisMeeker1985
07-29-2011, 01:00 AM
Any SrA out there who have been approved? Trying to weigh my chances at gettin selected.

hugomk
07-29-2011, 06:13 PM
Yep. If I don't get a squadron assigned soon, I'll be sitting with them.

I'm not sure why you won't be assigned a squadron after graduating FTU. All squadron needs MQ-1 SO (except for the 42D). The only time you (ones who went thru FTU already) will be sitting as a casual is if you are waiting for your clearance.

JetMech
07-31-2011, 02:31 PM
Well got the officail class RIPS today, so it official. Also stopped at MPF and found out that i need to re-enlist or extend to take the classes. So bye bye bonus but who cares! I"m going to a better job and something new. Still really excited to get out of mx and move on. I did have a question, anyone hear when they will start moving people to ellsworth??? My training doesn't start to Feb so i'll be done about april time frame. Hoping to come right back here, since i'm already stationed here. Last i heard they were talking about Jan12 for stand up. Any info would be great. Thanks

curtst
07-31-2011, 02:36 PM
Last I heard Ellsworth will be in the Dec Jan time frame. Assuming if you can get on Reapers I would say your chances are pretty good at getting that base. Just don't get your hopes up. Goodluck.

GIJOE
07-31-2011, 06:26 PM
Any word on any other bases opening up? I have a class date in Feb also.

curtst
07-31-2011, 06:38 PM
Ellsworth is due to open up near the end of the year or early next year. Other bases are on the list as options so they are not for sure things. On the list I heard is, Hickam, Eglin, and Langley. Those are not confirmed.

AeroNut
07-31-2011, 07:01 PM
On the list I heard is, Hickam, Eglin, and Langley. Those are not confirmed.

All three of those woud be juuuust wonderful.

Slyflyfox
07-31-2011, 07:47 PM
All three of those woud be juuuust wonderful.
+1 / Man! those bases would be bad ass! Someone get me back to the East Coast! or paradise! :)

GIJOE
07-31-2011, 08:18 PM
I agree, it would be sick! My kids are in NC. I'm praying something opens up so I'm able to be closer to them. If no East Coast ones open up, I'm praying for Creech.

rips
07-31-2011, 10:27 PM
so for the newer classes that are graduating BSOC and PCSing prior to FTU, you guys just sit at your new SQ and do nothing or are you gettin ojt?

GIJOE
08-01-2011, 04:06 AM
Who all has the mid Feb class date?

hugomk
08-01-2011, 05:58 AM
so for the newer classes that are graduating BSOC and PCSing prior to FTU, you guys just sit at your new SQ and do nothing or are you gettin ojt?

Manual labor for the Wing or Group. There is no OJT training.

LoadtoSensorOp
08-01-2011, 03:55 PM
Manual labor for the Wing or Group. There is no OJT training.

Is that just for pipeline guys? I would hate to PCS, wait on an FTU class date and have to details for months.

GIJOE
08-01-2011, 03:58 PM
I can see it now. TSgt's sweeping and cleaning the latrines :)

hugomk
08-01-2011, 04:07 PM
Is that just for pipeline guys? I would hate to PCS, wait on an FTU class date and have to details for months.

Negative. I've seen NCOs waiting for FTU move furnitures.

rips
08-02-2011, 02:05 PM
Negative. I've seen NCOs waiting for FTU move furnitures.

hoooyah, ha-ah any one got an idea of what the time frame is to get into FTU after you pcs?

GIJOE
08-02-2011, 03:28 PM
I've heard a few months...

hugomk
08-02-2011, 04:13 PM
Talked to one of the casual here at Creech. He's been here a month and no date for FTU. They are being told that all the slots at FTU for this FY is already taken. There are at least 20 casuals at the OSS.

rips
08-02-2011, 04:37 PM
Talked to one of the casual here at Creech. He's been here a month and no date for FTU. They are being told that all the slots at FTU for this FY is already taken. There are at least 20 casuals at the OSS.

WOW, but as a casual do you do nothing but details are are you authorized to do something that pertrains to the job?

Retrainingreject
08-02-2011, 04:44 PM
Another week down, another week awaiting determination for 2011 because that pesky single TSgt. slot is still there. I'm a staff, but because grade objectives are waiverable, they won't close me out because one slot remains, but because I'm a staff I most likely will not get it. I wouldn't mind if they told me no at this point because I am just so tired of waiting in limbo.

I apollogize for the rant, this is my third attempt at retraining and it seems to take longer and longer every time. :mad2

GIJOE
08-02-2011, 05:52 PM
Another week down, another week awaiting determination for 2011 because that pesky single TSgt. slot is still there. I'm a staff, but because grade objectives are waiverable, they won't close me out because one slot remains, but because I'm a staff I most likely will not get it. I wouldn't mind if they told me no at this point because I am just so tired of waiting in limbo.

I apollogize for the rant, this is my third attempt at retraining and it seems to take longer and longer every time. :mad2

Stay positive. I tried to retrain since 2005, when my first window for a 6 year enlistee was. (Various AFSC's) I was told to reenlist so I'd be eligible to retrain, then was told I didn't meet the rank requirement that they were referring to, the day after I re-uped. Got orders overseas from 2005-2008, didn't fall correctly in my window for my DEROS to retrain... Ended up with a special duty, no way to get out of it. A year into my special duty, I ended up with a humanitarian because my father was deeply ill with cancer, it was very bad. He passed a few weeks after I got here. (My Mother moved in with me and I ended up with a slot that required my AFSC anyhow.) I did almost 2 years here on my humana /special duty and was recently eligible to retrain. I busted my @$$ and pushed at every angle, I was lucky enough to get the last TSgt quota out of my AFSC for NCORP. I thank god every day & I never gave up. Keep your head up and just give it your all. As my boss said to me the other day, good things happen to good people. DONT GIVE UP! TRUST ME!!!

hugomk
08-02-2011, 05:53 PM
WOW, but as a casual do you do nothing but details are are you authorized to do something that pertrains to the job?

Casuals are not trained to do anything for the missions.

rips
08-02-2011, 06:22 PM
Casuals are not trained to do anything for the missions.
i dont know what would be more depressing come back to my home station or pcsing and doing details for months on end before i can attend FTU lol

GIJOE
08-02-2011, 06:25 PM
i dont know what would be more depressing come back to my home station or pcsing and doing details for months on end before i can attend FTU lol

Well, being a casual that close to Vegas would be nice. Esp since you can get that out of your system before you have to do all the long hours. I myself am looking forward to getting out of MX! I wouldn't care if we had to shovel horse crap. (TSgt stripe and all!)

Sukkari
08-02-2011, 08:59 PM
Well, being a casual that close to Vegas would be nice. Esp since you can get that out of your system before you have to do all the long hours. I myself am looking forward to getting out of MX! I wouldn't care if we had to shovel horse crap. (TSgt stripe and all!)

LMFAO!!!! I hear you on that one!

turbosmitty
08-02-2011, 11:40 PM

Heck yeah!! I'll scrub toilets all day with a big grin on my face! On a side note...got a non avail letter at Randolph for the duration of class $$$!!! Went to check out the new building where they moved BSOC. Its really nice!!! Can't wait to get started!! Good luck to all those that are still waiting to be picked up. Persistence is the key.

Sukkari
08-02-2011, 11:46 PM
Heck yeah!! I'll scrub toilets all day with a big grin on my face! On a side note...got a non avail letter at Randolph for the duration of class $$$!!! Went to check out the new building where they moved BSOC. Its really nice!!! Can't wait to get started!! Good luck to all those that are still waiting to be picked up. Persistence is the key.

How the hell did you pull off the non-avail letter at Randolph? I just called today about Feb and the lady said that a room has already been reserved for everyone in the class and that they do it for all of the upcoming classes.

GIJOE
08-03-2011, 12:20 AM
Lucky! I hope I'm just as lucky! Sukkari, You have BSOC in Feb? I have it in March :)

turbosmitty
08-03-2011, 12:42 AM
How the hell did you pull off the non-avail letter at Randolph? I just called today about Feb and the lady said that a room has already been reserved for everyone in the class and that they do it for all of the upcoming classes.

Yeah we were told that the rooms were reserved for our class. When we showed up to billeting they did not have any reservations. They put us offbase for three days and said they would have us a room when our class started. Well we checked with billeting this morning and they said the rooms we were supposed to move into were currently being renovated. The rooms were supposed to be ready for us; but they're are no where close to being finished. Billeting told us to pick up our new non avail letters today. They are good for 42 days!! Luck of the draw I suppose.

Sukkari
08-03-2011, 01:21 AM
I know Randolph is pretty close to Lackland, but is it close enough to commute back and forth for class? I made a reservation at Lackland to cover for both courses is why I ask.

turbosmitty
08-03-2011, 03:11 AM
I know Randolph is pretty close to Lackland, but is it close enough to commute back and forth for class? I made a reservation at Lackland to cover for both courses is why I ask.

Randolph is about 30-40 minute drive from Lackland. You will be sharing a bathroom at Lackland; plus the rooms are supposed to be nicer on Randolph and you won't be sharing a bathroom. So your best bet will be to have a reservation made for Randolph.

GIJOE
08-03-2011, 12:55 PM
It's a shame that we are still sharing bathrooms. Oh well, that's how it is. P.S. did you know a GS-6 (or above) or an O-1 (or above) gets VOQ vs VAQ? I've know people with absolutly no experience in their job who have came into a GS spot as a GS-7. Some people put in 12-15+ years and still have to share a bathroom?

Retrainingreject
08-03-2011, 01:14 PM
Stay positive. I tried to retrain since 2005, when my first window for a 6 year enlistee was. (Various AFSC's) I was told to reenlist so I'd be eligible to retrain, then was told I didn't meet the rank requirement that they were referring to, the day after I re-uped. Got orders overseas from 2005-2008, didn't fall correctly in my window for my DEROS to retrain... Ended up with a special duty, no way to get out of it. A year into my special duty, I ended up with a humanitarian because my father was deeply ill with cancer, it was very bad. He passed a few weeks after I got here. (My Mother moved in with me and I ended up with a slot that required my AFSC anyhow.) I did almost 2 years here on my humana /special duty and was recently eligible to retrain. I busted my @$$ and pushed at every angle, I was lucky enough to get the last TSgt quota out of my AFSC for NCORP. I thank god every day & I never gave up. Keep your head up and just give it your all. As my boss said to me the other day, good things happen to good people. DONT GIVE UP! TRUST ME!!!

Ya, I'm trying to stay possitive and keep plugging away. I plan on submitting packages until they just get sick of me and say yes. Doesn't help that my current CFM made it very clear that they aren't releasing anyone from the career field (not even for 1st Sgt. duty). I just want this job really bad and its really not looking good for 2011. Hope the 2012 numbers hold out til Oct. so I can re-apply.

AeroNut
08-03-2011, 03:54 PM
Some people put in 12-15+ years and still have to share a bathroom?

Man you would hate traveling with the Army...

merchman567
08-03-2011, 04:33 PM
So I am status 5 awaiting a class date. I cant wait to find out when I can start training! I want to get out of MX so bad already!

GIJOE
08-03-2011, 04:54 PM
Man you would hate traveling with the Army...
It's not a matter of what conditions. It was about a GS-6 getting treated like a Major. I don't think an E-6 with 13 years should be treated like an E-1 brand new guy. I also don't think the same housing in "training" should be afforded to an O-1 with no time in, as a Maj. Dunno, just had a bad experience with a suitemate a year ago. I damn near would just pay out of pocket for my own quarters. I'm a grown ass man, I don't care too much to be sharing a bathroom with a pig. If it were a classmate and you know them, it would be better.

jasonstiller
08-04-2011, 10:58 AM
So I am status 5 awaiting a class date. I cant wait to find out when I can start training! I want to get out of MX so bad already!

Congrats man! You should get a class date soon. Give them a call if you dont hear anything in a week.

Man im kinda bummin out right now. I keep getting reminders of how much I hate being in knowledge Ops. Damn overseas and DEROS'es. 11 more months till class...11 more months till class...I cant wait!

Clark1234
08-04-2011, 01:21 PM
Hey guys!

I haven't posted in a while since I've been busy getting ready for our UCI, but i finally got my class date! Aircrew Fundamentals w/o Chamber qualification starts 27 january, followed by BSOC on 21 February! the funniest thing happened to me also I submitted my paperwork to AFPC last monday Aug 1st and I got my status 6 yesterday afternoon! I'm soo pumped!!! does anyone know if they've gotten a class date sooner than i have?

Also...could anyone tell me what w/o chamber qualification means? i have no idea.

GIJOE
08-04-2011, 01:28 PM
Hey guys!

I haven't posted in a while since I've been busy getting ready for our UCI, but i finally got my class date! Aircrew Fundamentals w/o Chamber qualification starts 27 january, followed by BSOC on 21 February! the funniest thing happened to me also I submitted my paperwork to AFPC last monday Aug 1st and I got my status 6 yesterday afternoon! I'm soo pumped!!! does anyone know if they've gotten a class date sooner than i have?

Also...could anyone tell me what w/o chamber qualification means? i have no idea.

Congratz! I got approved a week or so ago and my date is in Feb.

rips
08-04-2011, 02:38 PM
Hey guys!

it means you dont have to do the chamber... which is basically a simulation of free failing. all aircrew postion minus us i think have to do this just in case they get shot down or some crap and have to jump

Clark1234
08-04-2011, 03:25 PM
it means you dont have to do the chamber... which is basically a simulation of free failing. all aircrew postion minus us i think have to do this just in case they get shot down or some crap and have to jump

Well good thing I dont have to do that. I'm still in awe that I was completely approved in a matter of 2 days. On VMPF, it didnt even show me as a status 3 or 5 at all. It just went straight to status 6. I guess I'm going to have to look over this forum again to remember what to expect with everything coming up.

Does anyone know what the washout rate for this is? just curious.....id imagine it wouldnt be very high since there this career is trying to get larger. Does anyone know when I can start my Top Secret Clearance? I talked to my Secutiry Manager and got the paperwork for it, but she said that it won't be submitted until i get some confirmation paperwork or whatever. Can anyone give me a little insight on what to expect with getting my TSC?

AeroNut
08-04-2011, 04:01 PM
Well good thing I dont have to do that. I'm still in awe that I was completely approved in a matter of 2 days. On VMPF, it didnt even show me as a status 3 or 5 at all. It just went straight to status 6. I guess I'm going to have to look over this forum again to remember what to expect with everything coming up.

Does anyone know what the washout rate for this is? just curious.....id imagine it wouldnt be very high since there this career is trying to get larger. Does anyone know when I can start my Top Secret Clearance? I talked to my Secutiry Manager and got the paperwork for it, but she said that it won't be submitted until i get some confirmation paperwork or whatever. Can anyone give me a little insight on what to expect with getting my TSC?

Were you applying under CAREERS or NCORP? I'm awaiting results from the 1 August CAREERS board... so I'm wondering if it means I didn't make the cut this time around since I didn't receive anything yet.

bobbo489
08-04-2011, 05:56 PM
How long does it take to get the TS clearance? I have attempted contacting my security manager multiple times however she has yet to respond to my emails and is never in when I call. I am deployed right now and need to fill out the JPAS thing but don't remember ever making my own passwords and can't get in without them. I am supposed to get back about 2 months prior to my class and don't want to lose my seat due to this clearance issue.

Clark1234
08-04-2011, 06:01 PM
Were you applying under CAREERS or NCORP? I'm awaiting results from the 1 August CAREERS board... so I'm wondering if it means I didn't make the cut this time around since I didn't receive anything yet.

Well to be honest I'm not 100% sure. I'm going to assume that I did it under CAREERS since I'm only a SrA with 2.5 years on a 6 year enlistment.

You can always call AFPC and ask them the status of your package. Unfortunately, it will take you 3 hours to actually get a hold of someone from there who will talk to you like your a POS. I hate calling them.

jasonstiller
08-04-2011, 07:28 PM
It takes a good 3-4 months to get an interim TS/SCI from what I remember. Get your ducks in a row and make sure you got all the info required. I think they go back 10 years and ask about everything from what schools you went to to what your neighbors name was when you were 10. I did my initial 8 years ago so im not sure if its changed or not.

Keep after your security manager, matter of fact, find her boss and ask whats going on. Don't pull any punches. I would hate to see you get denied 1U because of something like that.

Clark1234
08-04-2011, 07:47 PM
It takes a good 3-4 months to get an interim TS/SCI from what I remember. Get your ducks in a row and make sure you got all the info required. I think they go back 10 years and ask about everything from what schools you went to to what your neighbors name was when you were 10. I did my initial 8 years ago so im not sure if its changed or not.

Keep after your security manager, matter of fact, find her boss and ask whats going on. Don't pull any punches. I would hate to see you get denied 1U because of something like that.

how long are they expecting me to actually recieve my TSC? Is this something I should be doing now, or can it wait until I actually get to tech school?

jasonstiller
08-04-2011, 09:10 PM
You need to do this ASAP. It can be a lengthy process. If you pass the "quick " test you will get an interim clearance. in 2-4 months. This means you can proceed to do your TS duties as if you had a full blow TS. In the meantime, investigators will finish out the full investigation. This can take anywhere from 6 mo to a year.

bobbo489
08-05-2011, 12:23 AM
Well, I got hold of my squadron's alternate security manager and she helped me out alot more than the primary did. She even let me know that I have 10 days to fill out the JPAS from when I submit the paper(SF86?) back to them and it is approved. Now to wait for the notification from them and then to attempt to fill it out again.

turbosmitty
08-05-2011, 12:37 AM
Just to give everyone a heads up. You will need your AF Form 2808 (should accompany your 1042 and 422 from flight med) and medical records for BSOC. As a reminder to everyone posting your class dates....keep in mind OPSEC!! We had our OPSEC briefing today....made me think twice about posting class dates and even job description. It was a real eye opener.

JetMech
08-05-2011, 04:32 AM
as for the TS, go on portal then go to AETC classes and get the description for th BSOC. Take that to your security manager. it's states you need TS. that should be more then enough to get things going.

Retrainingreject
08-05-2011, 12:33 PM
SSgt Levasseur,

Your exception to policy has been disapproved. There are no longer any available quotas for the AFSC you chose in FY11. During FY12 NCORP Phase I, only AFSCs and grades identified on the FY12 Retraining Message will be allowed to apply for retraining at this time. Please reapply after 1 Oct 2011. FML.....

LoadtoSensorOp
08-05-2011, 01:41 PM

I think you may be thinking of something different. This is the Altitude Chamber. All actual flying positions have to go through the chamber. The physiological techs take you into the chamber to show you what it feels like to be hypoxic. When you are flying at high altitudes like FL 350 (35,000 feet) it can only take a few seconds depending on the person for hypoxia to set in, so us Aircrew members have to be able to recognize this and immediately go on oxygen if this should happen while flying. I've been through the chamber four times now, kind of neat to feel deprived of oxygen, the phys techs joke that they get paid to get a free high since being deprived of oxygen makes you feel light headed and like you are on an hallucinogen.

DmaxHunter
08-05-2011, 01:46 PM
Greetings everyone,

Im currently a Loadmaster and have been accepted for retraining to 1U. Just for timeline purposes I applied and went status 3 mid Feb11 and Status 5 I think in Apr11. Ive been status 6 since about April/May. I applied under CAREERS. I am a SSgt and received a BSOC class date for early FY12. Thats about all the details Ill divulge at the moment.

Been reading this forum for close to a year now and have learned a ton. Thanks for all the info. If anyone has Q's for me Ill try my best to answer but other than that Ill just sit back and read.

This isnt quite true. Doesnt have much anything to do with jumping out and free falling. Thats what you learn in the 2 survival schools.

It means you dont do the Altitiude Chamber (hypobaric chamber). The Altitude chamber is a physiological course that teaches you what you and your body go through at high altitudes. The main objective is to learn your hypoxia symptoms in the event your aircraft becomes depressurized. You also go through a rapid decompression and perform the necessary actions to save your own life and those aboard the Aircraft. The chamber usually climbs to greater than 20,000 feet MSL to experience the world with a lack of oxygen. Seeing as RPA crewmembers dont ever leave the ground, they skip this part of Fundamentals.

HAHA...he just beat me

jasonstiller
08-05-2011, 05:17 PM
SSgt Levasseur,

Your exception to policy has been disapproved. There are no longer any available quotas for the AFSC you chose in FY11. During FY12 NCORP Phase I, only AFSCs and grades identified on the FY12 Retraining Message will be allowed to apply for retraining at this time. Please reapply after 1 Oct 2011. FML.....
Crap man :( You have all your ducks in a row. Apply in Oct!! What did Buzz Lightyear say? Never Give up...

Clark1234
08-05-2011, 08:53 PM
Im currently a Loadmaster and have been accepted for retraining to 1U. Just for timeline purposes I applied and went status 3 mid Feb11 and Status 5 I think in Apr11. Ive been status 6 since about April/May. I applied under CAREERS. I am a SSgt and received a BSOC class date for early FY12. Thats about all the details Ill divulge at the moment.

When do you go to BSOC? mine is 21 February? Also, I just recieved my RIP and apparently I'm going to need to extend for retainability. Does anyone know how much retainability you will need for 1U? my DOS is 12 Jan. 2015, which is just shy of my class date for fundies (27 Jan.) I'm assuming ill need 3 years? maybe more? can anyone give me a little insight on what to expect for this, and the process for extending my contract. How long does it take. I have until 18 Aug to submit my RIP to secure me a class date.

merchman567
08-05-2011, 09:28 PM
Mine fundies is March fy12. Anyone else get that date?

DmaxHunter
08-06-2011, 08:22 AM
When do you go to BSOC? mine is 21 February? Also, I just recieved my RIP and apparently I'm going to need to extend for retainability. Does anyone know how much retainability you will need for 1U? my DOS is 12 Jan. 2015, which is just shy of my class date for fundies (27 Jan.) I'm assuming ill need 3 years? maybe more? can anyone give me a little insight on what to expect for this, and the process for extending my contract. How long does it take. I have until 18 Aug to submit my RIP to secure me a class date.

My BSOC starts in Oct. Retainability requirements are stated on the rip. Its 36 months from the date of graduation from AFC (or BSOC for prior 1A's). As far as your situation you will have to extend or reenlist. Are you FTA? If so everything I have found in the regs says for retraining retainability you really only have 2 options. The first is to extend 23 months (only amount of months allowed) (and I believe the extension CANNOT be cancelled due to retraining) and the second is to reenlist. I ended up having to reenlist in my situation. You really need to talk with your MPF Reenlistments/Extensions section and start reading these two regulations which is where I got my info. AFI 36-2606 and 36-2626

Nuked
08-06-2011, 01:52 PM
My BSOC starts in Oct. Retainability requirements are stated on the rip. Its 36 months from the date of graduation from AFC (or BSOC for prior 1A's). As far as your situation you will have to extend or reenlist. Are you FTA? If so everything I have found in the regs says for retraining retainability you really only have 2 options. The first is to extend 23 months (only amount of months allowed) (and I believe the extension CANNOT be cancelled due to retraining) and the second is to reenlist. I ended up having to reenlist in my situation. You really need to talk with your MPF Reenlistments/Extensions section and start reading these two regulations which is where I got my info. AFI 36-2606 and 36-2626

Almost, the reg has changed to where you can extend up to 48 months for retraining. However, I agree with the getting into the regs and researching your specific situation. And just an FYI for everyone while you cant cancel an extension you have started... you can re-enlist as long as you are within 36 months of your DOS. This is new also with the change to 36-2626. When you dont believe your MPF, call AFPC.

redd
08-06-2011, 03:12 PM
::sigh:: I wish they could get all of you trained and here already. I cannot begin to tell you guys how weak the manning is. I wish all of you the best of luck. Nothing is simple when it comes to retraining - not AFPC, medical, ETPs... Nothing. This forum was helpful when I was going through the process in late 2009. I'll be deploying soon and will keep you guys updated. Keep your heads up and keep trying.

Redd

bobbo489
08-06-2011, 03:21 PM
What do we do on deployments? Is it something different than what we would do at home station? I thought that sensor ops rarely deployed, don't get me wrong I like some deployments, just not having to deploy every 6 months. Anyways I am currently deployed now and soon to be flirting with my class date, about 90 days away and still have at least another 1-1.5 months left on this deployment.

redd
08-06-2011, 03:32 PM
The deployments are for the most part volunteer only. You have to attend a course to learn the ins and outs of what you'll be doing while deployed, but in short you launch and land the aircraft. I think you'll find a deployment is a well needed break from the job in garrison and they'rehighly sought after.

hugomk
08-06-2011, 11:40 PM
The deployments are for the most part volunteer only. You have to attend a course to learn the ins and outs of what you'll be doing while deployed, but in short you launch and land the aircraft. I think you'll find a deployment is a well needed break from the job in garrison and they'rehighly sought after.

He is right. Deployment will be a break from the job in-garrison.

redd
08-06-2011, 11:45 PM
I'm not a "he" :)

bobbo489
08-07-2011, 12:05 AM
Well that'll be nice. I can't wait for my training to start, only a few months left!

GIJOE
08-07-2011, 04:05 AM

Sounds like it's pretty swamped. I can't wait to get there! I'm praying for Creech. The one in South Dakota will be most likely be opening up around the time I start, so I'd assume I'd get it instead. Who knows, got my fingers crossed!

turbosmitty
08-07-2011, 06:03 AM
Sounds like it's pretty swamped. I can't wait to get there! I'm praying for Creech. The one in South Dakota will be most likely be opening up around the time I start, so I'd assume I'd get it instead. Who knows, got my fingers crossed!

From the sounds of it...the odds of you getting it will probably be good....we just did our base of preferences....hope to find out in a few weeks.

curtst
08-07-2011, 03:36 PM
Well Hurlburt Field just became an option for reservist. Why can't active duty get any decent locations?

redd
08-07-2011, 04:04 PM
Not a clue.... They tend to put us in isolated locations and I cannot figure out why. If you get mq-9 then there's a good possibility of going to Ellsworth.

curtst
08-07-2011, 05:44 PM
I'm already preds. Been stationed at Whiteman for 7 years now. Change of scenery would be nice but out of the choices, glad I stayed where I am. Somewhere like Florida would be great though!

redd
08-07-2011, 08:39 PM
Give it time. This careerfield is growing. More bases will pop up.

hugomk
08-07-2011, 10:24 PM

Sorry redd.

hugomk
08-07-2011, 10:25 PM
Well Hurlburt Field just became an option for reservist. Why can't active duty get any decent locations?

It's an option for you to join the reserves.

redd
08-07-2011, 10:30 PM
Np, hugomk. Which squadron are you out of? I'm at the 15rs.

redd
08-07-2011, 10:32 PM
This sounds weird but I love Creech o_0

fromxtor
08-08-2011, 04:45 AM
SSgt Levasseur,

I got something similar, but mine said it was cancelled and didnt mention the ETP letter at all.

hugomk
08-08-2011, 06:32 AM
Np, hugomk. Which squadron are you out of? I'm at the 15rs.

Since 04 I've been to 4 squadrons.

redd
08-08-2011, 12:22 PM
Wow! I'm hoping to stay put. You've been doing this for a long time. Did you fully convert to 1U?

rips
08-08-2011, 02:16 PM
nice hurbby been here for 5 plus years now, and if we get re-stationed here i might as well go sign the divorice paper work... ha-ha.... any one got anyother rumors of bases opening up?

hugomk
08-08-2011, 02:54 PM
Wow! I'm hoping to stay put. You've been doing this for a long time. Did you fully convert to 1U?

Yes I did convert to 1U.

curtst
08-08-2011, 04:27 PM
nice hurbby been here for 5 plus years now, and if we get re-stationed here i might as well go sign the divorice paper work... ha-ha.... any one got anyother rumors of bases opening up?

Last I heard, there are 6-8 bases being looked at. The majority of those will be for guard and reserve while 1 maybe 2 bases for active duty.

rips
08-08-2011, 06:00 PM
Last I heard, there are 6-8 bases being looked at. The majority of those will be for guard and reserve while 1 maybe 2 bases for active duty.

and do you know which are in consideration?

curtst
08-08-2011, 06:01 PM
and do you know which are in consideration?

Nope.

10 characters

rips
08-08-2011, 06:30 PM
Nope.

10 characters

10 characters? im cornfused!

curtst
08-08-2011, 07:10 PM
10 characters? im cornfused!

You have to have at least 10 characters before the forum will let you post. Simply saying none wasn't enough characters.

GIJOE
08-08-2011, 08:36 PM
I hope some open up on the East Coast...

theworkingman
08-08-2011, 11:31 PM
Is there any way we could ever possibly work at HQ ACC/AFSOC? Langley is already in the CFETP for MSgt and above but that was 2009, so who knows now. Hurlburt isn't there, but it would seem as an SNCO they would have HQ positions open. Maybe an advisor or something. Im not an SNCO, but I know we have assignments like that in my current job for even NCOs--Just wondering.

Going through Fundies...I find it ironic that word includes "Fun."

turbosmitty
08-09-2011, 03:06 AM
Is there any way we could ever possibly work at HQ ACC/AFSOC? Langley is already in the CFETP for MSgt and above but that was 2009, so who knows now. Hurlburt isn't there, but it would seem as an SNCO they would have HQ positions open. Maybe an advisor or something. Im not an SNCO, but I know we have assignments like that in my current job for even NCOs--Just wondering.

Who is your instructor?

Tooltime
08-09-2011, 03:16 AM
4165 posts? Really?????

I guess this makes 4166...

I just can't comprehend where to begin on this thread. 2000? 3000?...

hugomk
08-09-2011, 03:24 AM

Yes it's possible to work at HQ/ACC.

theworkingman
08-09-2011, 12:07 PM
Cool. Thats what I was thinking. So theres another option somewhere down the road.

Smitty: Walker. He is actually a pretty cool guy, and I must admit the second day was much better than the first. Still pretty dry though. Not complaining happy as s*** to be here!

jasonstiller
08-09-2011, 01:30 PM
So those of you who took the plunge and have a Wife/Kids, how long did you discuss the job with your significant other? You know, long hours, not being able to discuss work and all that? Its been a year for me. My Wife is a wonderful person. She keeps saying she wants me to be happy and supports me 100% Makes me feel good.

rips
08-09-2011, 02:20 PM
So those of you who took the plunge and have a Wife/Kids, how long did you discuss the job with your significant other? You know, long hours, not being able to discuss work and all that? Its been a year for me. My Wife is a wonderful person. She keeps saying she wants me to be happy and supports me 100% Makes me feel good.
my wife has had to deal with this for the past 3-4 years.... she just really doesnt ask anymore.... she caught on after a while ha-ha

Slyflyfox
08-09-2011, 04:29 PM
Just got notified I'm going MQ-1, FTU in Jan, crazy!

rips
08-09-2011, 04:37 PM
Just got notified I'm going MQ-1, FTU in Jan, crazy!

holy poop thats a long wait... so youll be doing details till then???

Slyflyfox
08-09-2011, 04:43 PM
Yeah, apparently. My buddy from Tech, who is from Nellis before Re-Training, says it's not all that bad. Less work than you'd expect ;), Supervising the Airmen basically. He is heading to March ARB for his FTU!! Argh lol. He's got 1's too.

redd
08-09-2011, 04:48 PM
Welcome to pred :) Your ftu is kinda far out. You'll be taking out garbage at the OSS for a while.

Slyflyfox
08-09-2011, 04:56 PM
Welcome to pred :) Your ftu is kinda far out. You'll be taking out garbage at the OSS for a while.

Sounds good to me! Call me the trashman! :)

rips
08-09-2011, 04:56 PM
Yeah, apparently. My buddy from Tech, who is from Nellis before Re-Training, says it's not all that bad. Less work than you'd expect ;), Supervising the Airmen basically. He is heading to March ARB for his FTU!! Argh lol. He's got 1's too.

gahhh that would still blow to be soo close yet so far away and i bet these months will drag effin by lool

Slyflyfox
08-09-2011, 05:07 PM
gahhh that would still blow to be soo close yet so far away and i bet these months will drag effin by lool

It's gonna be a while lol.

jasonstiller
08-09-2011, 06:22 PM
holy smokes thats a long way away :O

Clark1234
08-09-2011, 06:33 PM
Hey guys,

I'm trying to plan out my TDY and PCSing where ever i end up going. Anyone have any idea how long I should expect to receive my orders to PCS? I'm leaving for ACF in January 27 and BSOC in February 21. Could anyone give me a little bit of an estimate of the dates that I could possibly get orders?

Also, I'm wondering if there is a way that I can start studying for my classes for tech school? I'm not really worried about the
classes, I just have nothing going on right now and wouldn't mind taking a look at what to expect for tech school.

I am just finishing my RIP for ACF and BSOC as we speak. Yesterday I had to get a 3 month extension for retainability. Almost done with my TSC too, hopefully I can hand it in this week.

Anyone else out there have the same dates as I do?

IH8EngMTX
08-09-2011, 06:45 PM

My wife said basically the same but she is stressed as hell right now dealing with the move while I'm here at Holloman. BTW, I've come up with a new job discription to tell those civilians who inquire what I do...Airborne Papparazzi! I think it beats the "Blimp Folder's" lines we used in BSOC. :mullet

IH8EngMTX
08-09-2011, 06:55 PM
Hey guys,

I'm trying to plan out my TDY and PCSing where ever i end up going. Anyone have any idea how long I should expect to receive my orders to PCS? I'm leaving for ACF in January 27 and BSOC in February 21. Could anyone give me a little bit of an estimate of the dates that I could possibly get orders?

Also, I'm wondering if there is a way that I can start studying for my classes for tech school? I'm not really worried about the
classes, I just have nothing going on right now and wouldn't mind taking a look at what to expect for tech school.

I am just finishing my RIP for ACF and BSOC as we speak. Yesterday I had to get a 3 month extension for retainability. Almost done with my TSC too, hopefully I can hand it in this week.

Anyone else out there have the same dates as I do?

My class timeline was about a month later than yours this year. I got my orders in May so you are possibly looking at late March/early April for your orders but you could get them sooner. The only thing I can tell you to possibly "study" may be Brevity words (Roger, Joker, etc) since most of the other info is unavailable to you due to the nature of the job. Familiarize yourself with the following AFI's as well if you wish: 11-201, 11-202 (vols 1-3), 11-401. You will go over the relevant parts in fundies but it will not hurt to be familiar with it ahead of time.

Clark1234
08-09-2011, 07:52 PM
My class timeline was about a month later than yours this year. I got my orders in May so you are possibly looking at late March/early April for your orders but you could get them sooner. The only thing I can tell you to possibly "study" may be Brevity words (Roger, Joker, etc) since most of the other info is unavailable to you due to the nature of the job. Familiarize yourself with the following AFI's as well if you wish: 11-201, 11-202 (vols 1-3), 11-401. You will go over the relevant parts in fundies but it will not hurt to be familiar with it ahead of time.

Well my graduation date for BSOC is 29 march, hopefully I dont have to wait too long. The thing that I'm confused about is that I'm going to be doing FTU where ever I PCS to? I thought that FTU was in Randolph right after BSOC. I'm guessing im wrong, but could someone please correct me so I am clear as to what I should be planning on. I'm sure that it's been discussed in this forum already, but since this forum is around 2.5 years old I just can't read the entire thing.

hugomk
08-09-2011, 08:18 PM
Well my graduation date for BSOC is 29 march, hopefully I dont have to wait too long. The thing that I'm confused about is that I'm going to be doing FTU where ever I PCS to? I thought that FTU was in Randolph right after BSOC. I'm guessing im wrong, but could someone please correct me so I am clear as to what I should be planning on. I'm sure that it's been discussed in this forum already, but since this forum is around 2.5 years old I just can't read the entire thing.

FTU is either at Holloman AFB or March ARB. I believe you PCS to your next duty station and wait.

lphill01
08-09-2011, 11:13 PM
Cool. Thats what I was thinking. So theres another option somewhere down the road.

Smitty: Walker. He is actually a pretty cool guy, and I must admit the second day was much better than the first. Still pretty dry though. Not complaining happy as s*** to be here!
Dalmo was mine, and Walker shadowed him.

shotdown
08-09-2011, 11:19 PM
I'm not sure why you won't be assigned a squadron after graduating FTU. All squadron needs MQ-1 SO (except for the 42D). The only time you (ones who went thru FTU already) will be sitting as a casual is if you are waiting for your clearance.
I called again this week and they told me the same thing. I hope I'm not sitting around but it keeps sounding like it. I'm just going to burn my use/lose. Before I report there.

GIJOE
08-10-2011, 04:39 AM
I don't mind waiting when my time comes. I'm sure I'll be really pumped up and dying to do the job tho!

hugomk
08-10-2011, 06:18 AM
I called again this week and they told me the same thing. I hope I'm not sitting around but it keeps sounding like it. I'm just going to burn my use/lose. Before I report there.

You're a couple of months away from graduation. You won't find out until later. Don't worry about it. If your clearance is good to go and you pass FTU, you will have a squadron when you get here.

hugomk
08-10-2011, 06:19 AM
I don't mind waiting when my time comes. I'm sure I'll be really pumped up and dying to do the job tho!

We don't want you dying on the seat. Specially the pilot.

DennisMeeker1985
08-10-2011, 07:07 AM
Hey guys I'm trying to see if I'm wasting my time applying. Were there any SrA in your classes or do you all know of any SrA that have been approved? All I've seen is 1 SrA in here who was disqualified from his current job get accepted.

redd
08-10-2011, 09:32 AM
I was a SrA. You're a fta yeah?

redd
08-10-2011, 09:33 AM
Anyway I had about 5 SrA and an A1C that were prior service in my class. You'll be fine.

redd
08-10-2011, 09:36 AM
I second that about the dying :)

shotdown
08-10-2011, 05:26 PM
You're a couple of months away from graduation. You won't find out until later. Don't worry about it. If your clearance is good to go and you pass FTU, you will have a squadron when you get here.

Actually I'm about 2 weeks from graduation. My clearance is good to go.

hugomk
08-10-2011, 05:52 PM
Actually I'm about 2 weeks from graduation. My clearance is good to go.

You started FTU 28 Jun and you're graduating in 2 weeks? That's fast. If that's the case then you will find out soon where you're going.

shotdown
08-10-2011, 10:16 PM
You started FTU 28 Jun and you're graduating in 2 weeks? That's fast. If that's the case then you will find out soon where you're going.
Yeah, weather has been great.

turbosmitty
08-11-2011, 01:16 AM
Dalmo was mine, and Walker shadowed him.

Yeah we were Walkers first class. Workingman...you might get lucky and get a non avail letter at Randolph. Looks like billeting is still under construction. Everyone got their assignments today. The turn around was really fast. Our assignment preferences were sent off yesterday afternoon! I didn't get my first choice which was Whiteman and I didn't get Cannon :eyebrows

jasonstiller
08-11-2011, 08:28 AM
Did the rest of you guys who recently got picked up get an awesome email from Mr Warren in your .mil account?

Brodkill
08-11-2011, 12:05 PM
So I've read most of this thread and didn't really get my question I have answered. I've currently submitted my package as a FTA for 1U and was awaiting my commanders decision. Well low and behold this morning I got a email from my flight chief saying he was going to suggest a non-concur to the commander.

I'm currently in the 2A3X3 (Crew Chief) and as far as I can tell the career field as a whole is not under manned, and possible over as a lot of folks just got mandatory retrained to heavies. So basically my question is, what kind of effect does this have on my possible retraining? I know its up to the AFPC and not my Commander but I'm sure a non-concur does not help my situation.

rips
08-11-2011, 12:51 PM
Did the rest of you guys who recently got picked up get an awesome email from Mr Warren in your .mil account?

LOL ya he has sent me it a few times

curtst
08-11-2011, 01:33 PM
Yeah we were Walkers first class. Workingman...you might get lucky and get a non avail letter at Randolph. Looks like billeting is still under construction. Everyone got their assignments today. The turn around was really fast. Our assignment preferences were sent off yesterday afternoon! I didn't get my first choice which was Whiteman and I didn't get Cannon :eyebrows

Creech? That sucks. Sorry to hear it.

So I've read most of this thread and didn't really get my question I have answered. I've currently submitted my package as a FTA for 1U and was awaiting my commanders decision. Well low and behold this morning I got a email from my flight chief saying he was going to suggest a non-concur to the commander.

I'm currently in the 2A3X3 (Crew Chief) and as far as I can tell the career field as a whole is not under manned, and possible over as a lot of folks just got mandatory retrained to heavies. So basically my question is, what kind of effect does this have on my possible retraining? I know its up to the AFPC and not my Commander but I'm sure a non-concur does not help my situation.

AFPC will take that into account. If the career field is balanced you will need an ETP. If your career field is over manned, AFPC should rule in your favor. Either way, don't quit.

rips
08-11-2011, 02:03 PM
Creech? That sucks. Sorry to hear it.

AFPC will take that into account. If the career field is balanced you will need an ETP. If your career field is over manned, AFPC should rule in your favor. Either way, don't quit.

whats wrong with creech!!!!???

according to the new retraining guidelines they are not accepting ETPS for career fields.... might want to research/and or call AFPC on that

bobbo489
08-11-2011, 03:30 PM
Well this could be fun. My class date is middle Nov. However, my flight clinic only did a flight physical last December when I was getting the cross training paperwork, now that I am deployed and wont be back till about 60 days before class I call them and find out that they didn't ever do a GBAC. Any ideas on how long it takes to get a GBAC if you already have a valid flight physical? Or am I gonna get screwed outta retraining now? <---Option 2 would really make my day/deployment. Computer crashes, they hold me here while sending any whiny little operator home for any reason, and now possibly a loss of retraining? Not cool big Blue, not cool. Sorry for ranting to everyone on here, just been a really bad day.

hugomk
08-11-2011, 04:20 PM
whats wrong with creech!!!!???

according to the new retraining guidelines they are not accepting ETPS for career fields.... might want to research/and or call AFPC on that

He does not need an ETP. He's a FTA.

jasonstiller
08-11-2011, 04:38 PM
Well this could be fun. My class date is middle Nov. However, my flight clinic only did a flight physical last December when I was getting the cross training paperwork, now that I am deployed and wont be back till about 60 days before class I call them and find out that they didn't ever do a GBAC. Any ideas on how long it takes to get a GBAC if you already have a valid flight physical? Or am I gonna get screwed outta retraining now? <---Option 2 would really make my day/deployment. Computer crashes, they hold me here while sending any whiny little operator home for any reason, and now possibly a loss of retraining? Not cool big Blue, not cool. Sorry for ranting to everyone on here, just been a really bad day.

I dont know for sure but I would think the GBAC is less intensive as a regular flight physical or atleast similar enough that it wont be a big deal to change it to a GBAC

Nuked
08-11-2011, 04:47 PM
I am so tired of having to check up on MPF to make sure that my package is getting process correctly. Today makes 4 times that I am having the assignment section send my BOP w/retraining up to AFPC. They have either not sent it or sent it to the wrong person. Finally got AFPC to give me the name of the func mang and I had to tell MPF who to send it to...:doh

On other news I got the e-mail welcoming me to the career field yesterday! Cant wait to get this show on the road.

bobbo489
08-11-2011, 08:02 PM
I dont know for sure but I would think the GBAC is less intensive as a regular flight physical or atleast similar enough that it wont be a big deal to change it to a GBAC

Well that is some good news. Now to keep on filling out this EQIP, fun stuff, luckily I can access my old SF86 to fill in some of the blanks.

IH8EngMTX
08-12-2011, 04:05 AM
If you have a flight physical (Class III), you are fine. It is more comprehensive than the GBAC therefore you are good. I originally did a class III as well because even though 1U0X1 was my first choice, I considered 1A8X2 (Airborne ISR). Randolph tried to give me shit about it before I left San Antonio at the end of RFC, but my flight med back at Hurlburt said I was fine, Class III trumps GBAC. I haven't had any problems here yet at Holloman and they sent me an email before I came saying that I was good to go medically.

DmaxHunter
08-14-2011, 07:54 PM
My base career assistance advisor said it does not matter if your commander marks non-concur or not. A story he told was that once a commander marked non-concur and wrote that the airman applying for retraining was the best he had and he couldn't afford to lose him due to their manning. Well all that did was help afpc. Because at afpc you have functional that reads that and says hey I want that guy, and he gets him. If AFPC has slots to fill and you meet the requirements it doesn't matter what your commander has to say about it

DmaxHunter
08-14-2011, 08:11 PM
Any ideas on how long it takes to get a GBAC if you already have a valid flight physical? Or am I gonna get screwed outta retraining now? day.

It still takes a while. I went thru this. It's easier to get through your home station flight doc because when you sit down with them they will look at you and say but you ACTUALLY fly planes so yes you can fly a GCS and then just sign off your paperwork. Before you see the flight doc though you will have to do ALL of the requirements of the GBAC although you prob did them years ago to get your Class III Flight physical. Stupid yes I know but still required. As long as you keep pushing your med clinic you are good to go. The most important thing is to get the 422 and 1042 stating that you are qualified for GBAC duty. Once you have these submit your package. This gets the ball rolling. Now while this is happening all those med tests are headed off to Randolph to get the "approved" 2808. (The official medical qualification) there should be no reason it doesn't get approved if you are a current flyer.

Like I said it still takes a while but with just those 2 papers you can get a jump start on the process, kind of lucky for us.

MH82
08-15-2011, 12:29 PM
Hi, just wanted to say I've been following this thread for a little over a week now. I've been keeping my eye on this job, but didn't really know what to make of it. Just wanted to say thanks for all the info and I submitted my retraining application(not package) on the 8th ( I know it's a little late). Hopefully I'll hear something soon. By the way just hit my eight year mark, SSgt in AGE @ Misawa(thumbs down!!!!)

jasonstiller
08-15-2011, 01:31 PM
Welcome and keep us updated. if you need anything or have questions dont hesitate to ask

MH82
08-16-2011, 12:26 AM
Thanks I appreciate it. My question is I'm stationed in Japan and my window to do regular x training opened this month. This obviously is the same time with Phase I/II. The deadline for getting my Class III scheduled was on the 31st of July. Basically am I wasting my time? My job is on the overage list but my name isn't on it. Just trying to get a good feel for if I should have waited till Oct. Thanks.

jasonstiller
08-16-2011, 09:42 AM
what is your DEROS? Also, make sure you get a ground based Aircraft physical, not a class III. I dont think they are the same and could slow you down.

MH82
08-16-2011, 10:51 AM
what is your DEROS? Also, make sure you get a ground based Aircraft physical, not a class III. I dont think they are the same and could slow you down.

My DEROS is Nov 2012.

Clark1234
08-16-2011, 12:49 PM
Hey guys,

I'm having an issue with my Top Secret Clearance. I still haven't recieved my orders yet, and in order to submit my paperwork into E-QIP, I need to have a copy of my orders to gain access. Should I be starting my TSC after I recieve my orders, or is there any way around this?

Also, I am submitting my RIP today finally......My chief wasn't considered a designated person to sign it, so he sent me straight to the Commander. After I submit my RIP, how long does it normally take to recieve orders back?

Any insight on what to expect would be great, thanks!

rips
08-16-2011, 02:17 PM
Hey guys,

I'm having an issue with my Top Secret Clearance. I still haven't recieved my orders yet, and in order to submit my paperwork into E-QIP, I need to have a copy of my orders to gain access. Should I be starting my TSC after I recieve my orders, or is there any way around this?

Also, I am submitting my RIP today finally......My chief wasn't considered a designated person to sign it, so he sent me straight to the Commander. After I submit my RIP, how long does it normally take to recieve orders back?

they cant cut orders until atleast 30 days prior to your first class date

LoadtoSensorOp
08-16-2011, 03:18 PM
Hey guys,

Your secrutiy manager should be able to start your TS clearance. I have copied and pasted what was sent to me about TS clearance and starting your paperwork. "Top secret clearance is based on SBI required for duty in this AFSC; submit required documents to Unit Security Manager within 10 days or receipt of retraining approval." So you should be able to show them you were approved for retraining and they are supposed to start your clearance paperwork.

Clark1234
08-16-2011, 05:42 PM
Your secrutiy manager should be able to start your TS clearance. I have copied and pasted what was sent to me about TS clearance and starting your paperwork. "Top secret clearance is based on SBI required for duty in this AFSC; submit required documents to Unit Security Manager within 10 days or receipt of retraining approval." So you should be able to show them you were approved for retraining and they are supposed to start your clearance paperwork.

My IP Manager said that as long as I can show him some form that shows that I will be going to a tech school that requires a TSC then I am good to go. Fortunately I showed him my RIP and some other paperwork that I had, and he gave me access. I've been working on my e-QIP information for about 2.5 hours, and I'm finally at the end. I'm stuck on just one part where they allow you to attach any documents to your investigation request. Are they asking me to scan in my paperwork that I just made with e-QIP and attach it to the request again? or are they asking if I have any other documentation that I would like to add to the request altogether? Unfortunately it's noon, and my IP manager is out to lunch so I'm just a sitting duck right now until he comes back.

rips
08-16-2011, 06:02 PM
anybody going through ACF or BSOC staying on kelly please shoot me a pm

Clark1234
08-16-2011, 07:56 PM
Hey guys,

I'm curious when we recieve our job badge? Is it after we complete BSOC? Originally I was an Air Traffic Controller, and we didnt recieve job badges until we were 5 levels. Is this the same for Sensor Operators, and other aircrew careers? I was just looking at the job badges, and this question came up in my mind. If anyone could answer this, please let me know.

Thanks!

LoadtoSensorOp
08-16-2011, 07:58 PM
Hey guys,

I'm curious when we recieve our job badge? Is it after we complete BSOC? Originally I was an Air Traffic Controller, and we didnt recieve job badges until we were 5 levels. Is this the same for Sensor Operators, and other aircrew careers? I was just looking at the job badges, and this question came up in my mind. If anyone could answer this, please let me know.

Thanks!

It's gonna be just like aircrew badges. You should receive your wings when you graduate BSOC.

JetMech
08-16-2011, 08:43 PM
So here's a question for those already at training. Did u drive your pov or fly and then just walk? I was going to drive even though it's 1200 miles but I thought having a truck would be worth it. Those that flew done did they authorize a rental? Thanks guys

rips
08-16-2011, 09:03 PM
So here's a question for those already at training. Did u drive your pov or fly and then just walk? I was going to drive even though it's 1200 miles but I thought having a truck would be worth it. Those that flew done did they authorize a rental? Thanks guysi plan on driving as well, my buddy drove and started ACF on 5 Aug i dont think they authorize a rental due to the bus and other transportaion they provide on lackland

shotdown
08-16-2011, 09:15 PM
No, we didn't get authorized a rental during AFC or BSOC. We did get one authorized for FTU at March though. I chose to drive to TX from NV so that I had transportation.

GIJOE
08-16-2011, 10:12 PM
+1 for driving. That's what I'm going to do. I drive to all classes if possible. Much rather have my car vs a rental anyhow.

turbosmitty
08-17-2011, 02:48 AM
So here's a question for those already at training. Did u drive your pov or fly and then just walk? I was going to drive even though it's 1200 miles but I thought having a truck would be worth it. Those that flew done did they authorize a rental? Thanks guys

+2 Drive. They will reimburse you the same amount they would pay for a flight. I'm getting $681 to drive from AZ to TX. I should make $200-300 after paying for gas and hotel. We have one student in our class that was authorized a rental during BSOC. He is also staying off base due to billeting renovations. On the flip side...if you do decide to fly; you can always catch a ride with one of your class mates.

curtst
08-17-2011, 02:55 AM
+2 Drive. They will reimburse you the same amount they would pay for a flight. I'm getting $681 to drive from AZ to TX. I should make $200-300 after paying for gas and hotel. We have one student in our class that was authorized a rental during BSOC. He is also staying off base due to billeting renovations. On the flip side...if you do decide to fly; you can always catch a ride with one of your class mates.

They will do a cost comparison and will pay the cheapest to get you there. So if it was cheaper for you to fly they will give you the money for that. Everything else will be out of pocket.

turbosmitty
08-17-2011, 02:59 AM
They will do a cost comparison and will pay the cheapest to get you there. So if it was cheaper for you to fly they will give you the money for that. Everything else will be out of pocket.

They have $681 for travel on my orders under the estimated cost for reimbursement.

curtst
08-17-2011, 03:12 AM
They have $681 for travel on my orders under the estimated cost for reimbursement.

Hope it works out for you. That is what I was told when I was looking to drive.

GIJOE
08-17-2011, 07:03 AM
Hell, I'd drive even if I lost money. (To an extent.)

jasonstiller
08-17-2011, 12:05 PM
My DEROS is Nov 2012.

Get that GBAC physical done asap, have your ducks in a row so you can submit whenever quotas open up. Dont give up!

DmaxHunter
08-17-2011, 01:03 PM
Hey guys,

Thanks!

LoadtoSensorOp is right....They are awarded the same as all other aeronautical badges, after completion of the 3-Level school which is BSOC. Then after 3 years of operational flying they are permenantley awarded.

Its all in the AFI 11-402. 7.2.4.1.1

LoadtoSensorOp
08-17-2011, 02:47 PM
The Govt will either pay .51 a mile for driving or what it would cost for a plane ticket, whatever is cheapest. If you're driving 1,362 miles then you would get the $681. If your drive was less miles they may pull back some of the extra money they paid after you file your voucher. Don't always assume the money that is loaded on your CSA card is correct (if you have a CSA card as opposed to the GTC) or what your orders say you're getting until the trip is final.

lphill01
08-17-2011, 08:34 PM
LoadtoSensorOp is right....They are awarded the same as all other aeronautical badges, after completion of the 3-Level school which is BSOC. Then after 3 years of operational flying they are permenantley awarded.

Its all in the AFI 11-402. 7.2.4.1.1

That's one thing I was scratching my head about and was hoping a prior CEA could answer. 11-402 says 36 months operational flying, and Fundies is teaching that it's upon graduation from FTU. So.... Which is it?

LoadtoSensorOp
08-17-2011, 08:38 PM
That's one thing I was scratching my head about and was hoping a prior CEA could answer. 11-402 says 36 months operational flying, and Fundies is teaching that it's upon graduation from FTU. So.... Which is it?

When I graduated from Basic Loadmaster School in 2000 we got our wings. It should be the same for this career field too.

MH82
08-17-2011, 10:26 PM
Get that GBAC physical done asap, have your ducks in a row so you can submit whenever quotas open up. Dont give up!

I get that I need GBAC done, but medical here won't let me schedule it until I actually hear back from AFPC saying I'm qualified to go into the job. So I guess I'm stuck for now, but no giving up anytime soon.

lphill01
08-17-2011, 10:29 PM
When I graduated from Basic Loadmaster School in 2000 we got our wings. It should be the same for this career field too.

Yeah we get them at BSOC. I'm wearing them now. What I'm curious about is when they are considered pemanantly awarded, i.e. when are you authorized to wear the A-2? I'm just curious because I have one and I don't want to wear it if I'm not authorized yet. When did you get yours as a Loadmaster?

turbosmitty
08-18-2011, 12:45 AM
The Govt will either pay .51 a mile for driving or what it would cost for a plane ticket, whatever is cheapest. If you're driving 1,362 miles then you would get the $681. If your drive was less miles they may pull back some of the extra money they paid after you file your voucher. Don't always assume the money that is loaded on your CSA card is correct (if you have a CSA card as opposed to the GTC) or what your orders say you're getting until the trip is final.

Yeah round trip is over the cap of $681.

YaKkO
08-18-2011, 12:46 AM
Yeah we get them at BSOC. I'm wearing them now. What I'm curious about is when they are considered pemanantly awarded, i.e. when are you authorized to wear the A-2? I'm just curious because I have one and I don't want to wear it if I'm not authorized yet. When did you get yours as a Loadmaster?

As Far as 1AXXX career fields goes this is how it works. So I assume its close to the same for you guys.

Permanent award of Aircrew Member badges.

1. Graduation from a CEA formal training course.
2. Award of a designated CEA DAFSC 1AXXX
3. Successfully completing an Initial Qualification Evaluation (Check Ride) and documentation on an AF Form 8, Certificate of Aircrew Evaluation, or AF Form 942, Record of Evaluations.

I'm gonna dig around and see what I can find as far as SO's go. With us its after we complete our checkride though.

YaKkO
08-18-2011, 12:52 AM
From 11-402

7.2.4. Wear of Badges.
7.2.4.1. 1AXXX CEAs may wear the airman aircrew member basic badge upon award of
the 1AX3X AFSC, prior to meeting the requirements for permanent award (paragraph
7.4). When the member satisfies requirements for permanent award, publication of the
AO is authority to continue the wear of the specified badge.

7.2.4.1.1. RPA Sensor Operators may wear the RPA Sensor Operator basic badge
upon award of the 1UXXX DAFSC, prior to meeting the requirements for permanent
award (Table 7.1). When the member satisfies requirements for permanent award,
publication of the AO is authority to continue the wear of the RPA Sensor Operator
badge.

YaKkO
08-18-2011, 12:56 AM
From 11-402

7.2.4. Wear of Badges.
7.2.4.1. 1AXXX CEAs may wear the airman aircrew member basic badge upon award of
the 1AX3X AFSC, prior to meeting the requirements for permanent award (paragraph
7.4). When the member satisfies requirements for permanent award, publication of the
AO is authority to continue the wear of the specified badge.

7.2.4.1.1. RPA Sensor Operators may wear the RPA Sensor Operator basic badge
upon award of the 1UXXX DAFSC, prior to meeting the requirements for permanent
award (Table 7.1). When the member satisfies requirements for permanent award,
publication of the AO is authority to continue the wear of the RPA Sensor Operator
badge.

If you go down and read the table and notes the way I understand it is that you will be permanently awarded them if you are in training longer than 36 months all the while still maintaining status. (Think long term DNIF). So that's what the 36 months crap is. But the majority of you will be permanently awarded upon earning the DAFSC.

curtst
08-18-2011, 01:17 AM
As Far as 1AXXX career fields goes this is how it works. So I assume its close to the same for you guys.

Permanent award of Aircrew Member badges.

1. Graduation from a CEA formal training course.
2. Award of a designated CEA DAFSC 1AXXX
3. Successfully completing an Initial Qualification Evaluation (Check Ride) and documentation on an AF Form 8, Certificate of Aircrew Evaluation, or AF Form 942, Record of Evaluations.

I'm gonna dig around and see what I can find as far as SO's go. With us its after we complete our checkride though.

When I went through training, this is what we were told we had to do for permanent award.

theworkingman
08-18-2011, 01:43 AM
When I went through training, this is what we were told we had to do for permanent award.

Yes. This is what they are they teaching in Block I of fundies. After first check ride.

As far as driving vs. flying, I flew down here from NJ and even though I was told I had a reservation at the Gateway 2 weeks prior and confirmed it when I called a week prior, they denied that when I got there and put me in the Best Western next to base. Not that Im complaining, but not having a car is a pain. There is absolutely nothing around this hotel in terms of food or entertainment. Proximity to the base is its only redeeming factor and even then you cant really just walk to class. A ride is necessary. Ill take the per-diem for what its worth though. :D

On another note Block II is punishingly easy and I am stoked to test out on Mon and move on!

JetMech
08-18-2011, 03:12 AM
Yep driving it is. Granted it will be the middle of winter in a couple of the states I have to go through but it's worth it. Sounds like lodging is just a gamble and not having wheels would suck. I just can't wait to get started

theworkingman
08-18-2011, 03:37 AM
Yep driving it is. Granted it will be the middle of winter in a couple of the states I have to go through but it's worth it. Sounds like lodging is just a gamble and not having wheels would suck. I just can't wait to get started

Lodging is a gamble anywhere you go, just more so on Lackland with the constant in and out (STS) they have every week because of BMT and Tech Schools. Good luck!

DmaxHunter
08-18-2011, 07:30 AM

What is the A-2??? Im unfamiliar with that.

The reg has changed over the years for permenant award for wings. I received mine after Basic Loadmaster Course, and then after 10 combat missions or 3 years active flying they were permanatley awarded. For others it was after their first Mission ready checkride, it differed over the years. But the current reg and Table 7.1 does not mention anything about checkrides or missions or anything, it is now 36 months of operational flying and medically qualified.

If you go down and read the table and notes the way I understand it is that you will be permanently awarded them if you are in training longer than 36 months all the while still maintaining status. (Think long term DNIF). So that's what the 36 months crap is. But the majority of you will be permanently awarded upon earning the DAFSC.

No they will not be PERMENATLEY awarded upon receiving the DAFSC, they will be "temporarily awarded" and allowed to wear once you receive the DAFSC of 1UXXX which is BSOC. Then 36 months later (as long as you stay medically qualified) they become PERMENANT.

Yes. This is what they are they teaching in Block I of fundies. After first check ride

That shouldnt be correct. It used to be that way for some, will you ask them if that is current still, because according to the AFI its not. It sounds like they may be teaching the wrong thing and Im curious. Will you ask them for me?

I hope everyone understands the meaning of permenant when it comes to badges. Once you meet the 36 month mark and are permenately awarded your wings you can wear them and keep them on every uniform you wear for the rest of your career. Before they are permenately awarded though, you can lose them. For example, you pass BSOC, get your wings and then fail FTU or for some other reason leave the career field. Well you didnt do anything worthwhile to deserve to keep those wings so they are taken from you. See the excerpt from the AFI below on the importance of them.

7.2. Specific Guidelines. USAF aviation badges symbolize attainment of a high degree of professionalism in a flying specialty and are permanently awarded only to those aircrew members who, by virtue of extensive training, experience, and assignment to primary aircrew duty are considered part of the career flying force. Over the years the prestige of aviation badges has been carefully and closely guarded through consistent and strict adherence to the award criteria.

Now it is possible to lose your wings once they are permenatley awarded (you really have to F-up though), but the Air Force is really going to make you work for your wings because they mean a lot. Thats why it takes 3 years to permenately receive them. Hope this helps you guys know the importance of this.

DmaxHunter
08-18-2011, 08:01 AM
For all those who drove did you have to take leave for traveling more than 1 day from your duty station? Because according to the RIP it says you get 1 day to and 1 day from the school house. Well its not possible to make it there in 1 day for me but it blows to have to take leave just so that I can have my own vehicle during a 6 week course. So did you all take leave?

jasonstiller
08-18-2011, 09:23 AM
I get that I need GBAC done, but medical here won't let me schedule it until I actually hear back from AFPC saying I'm qualified to go into the job. So I guess I'm stuck for now, but no giving up anytime soon.
Sorry, I assumed you got the ok from AFPC already.

lphill01
08-18-2011, 12:31 PM

Got it. Forgot about the form 8.

lphill01
08-18-2011, 12:39 PM

The reg has changed over the years for permenant award for wings. I received mine after Basic Loadmaster Course, and then after 10 combat missions or 3 years active flying they were permanatley awarded. For others it was after their first Mission ready checkride, it differed over the years. But the current reg and Table 7.1 does not mention anything about checkrides or missions or anything, it is now 36 months of operational flying and medically qualified.

No they will not be PERMENATLEY awarded upon receiving the DAFSC, they will be "temporarily awarded" and allowed to wear once you receive the DAFSC of 1UXXX which is BSOC. Then 36 months later (as long as you stay medically qualified) they become PERMENANT.

That shouldnt be correct. It used to be that way for some, will you ask them if that is current still, because according to the AFI its not. It sounds like they may be teaching the wrong thing and Im curious. Will you ask them for me?

I hope everyone understands the meaning of permenant when it comes to badges. Once you meet the 36 month mark and are permenately awarded your wings you can wear them and keep them on every uniform you wear for the rest of your career. Before they are permenately awarded though, you can lose them. For example, you pass BSOC, get your wings and then fail FTU or for some other reason leave the career field. Well you didnt do anything worthwhile to deserve to keep those wings so they are taken from you. See the excerpt from the AFI below on the importance of them.

7.2. Specific Guidelines. USAF aviation badges symbolize attainment of a high degree of professionalism in a flying specialty and are permanently awarded only to those aircrew members who, by virtue of extensive training, experience, and assignment to primary aircrew duty are considered part of the career flying force. Over the years the prestige of aviation badges has been carefully and closely guarded through consistent and strict adherence to the award criteria.

Now it is possible to lose your wings once they are permenatley awarded (you really have to F-up though), but the Air Force is really going to make you work for your wings because they mean a lot. Thats why it takes 3 years to permenately receive them. Hope this helps you guys know the importance of this.

The A-2 is the leather flying jacket. I wasn't asking as if I'm all that concerned, but like I said, I already have one, and I don't want to wear it until I know I'm authorized to. But I'd heard they are usually awarded in conjunction with the wings becoming permanant, which is why I asked. Either way I can't wait to PCS and get to FTU already so I can start this new career!

LoadtoSensorOp
08-18-2011, 01:10 PM
The A-2 is the leather flying jacket. I wasn't asking as if I'm all that concerned, but like I said, I already have one, and I don't want to wear it until I know I'm authorized to. But I'd heard they are usually awarded in conjunction with the wings becoming permanant, which is why I asked. Either way I can't wait to PCS and get to FTU already so I can start this new career!

You can wear it once you get your wings. I have probably wore my leather jacket 20 times in the 11 years as a Loadmaster. As an Enlisted Aviator I just felt like a douch wearing it. I did not recieve mine until I got to my first duty station, so you may be setting yoursef up for lots of extra attention if you're the only one wearing it while going through FTU school.

LoadtoSensorOp
08-18-2011, 01:16 PM
For all those who drove did you have to take leave for traveling more than 1 day from your duty station? Because according to the RIP it says you get 1 day to and 1 day from the school house. Well its not possible to make it there in 1 day for me but it blows to have to take leave just so that I can have my own vehicle during a 6 week course. So did you all take leave?

You should not have to take leave. The one day of travel was probably for taking a plane for transportation. I'm not sure who you need to contact (maybe MPF) to have them change your orders for POV travel, but you should be able to get your travel days ammended on your orders. The first day you are authorized to travel 450 miles or 10 hours, every day after that is 350 miles or 8 hours; that is what it used to be. If you go over the hours of travel and something happens then the Air Force can do a line of duty determination and have the option of not paying for your medical expenses if they find that you disregarded the rules. I haven't heard the military not paying for somones medical, but there is always the chance.

shotdown
08-18-2011, 01:25 PM

Ask your boss for CTO days. That's what I did.

DmaxHunter
08-18-2011, 08:47 PM

Oh geeze I feel retarded now. I was trying to relate it to aeronautical badges and was thinking what the heck is that. Haha I wear mine all the time, great for the WA rain. Ya the regs do mention it stating it's authorized with permanent award. I know in our community we don't even give you the jacket until you become mission qualified. That means flying an operational and usually a combat mission. I'm pretty sure wearing it prior to permanent award is fine, no one would really know. But I'm not sure I would wear it at training at all. AETC might have a supplement about it. But like loadtosensorop stated, unwanted attention might be headed your way. How'd you get one so soon anyways? And remember you can wear it with blues too :)

lphill01
08-18-2011, 09:01 PM
Oh geeze I feel retarded now. I was trying to relate it to aeronautical badges and was thinking what the heck is that. Haha I wear mine all the time, great for the WA rain. Ya the regs do mention it stating it's authorized with permanent award. I know in our community we don't even give you the jacket until you become mission qualified. That means flying an operational and usually a combat mission. I'm pretty sure wearing it prior to permanent award is fine, no one would really know. But I'm not sure I would wear it at training at all. AETC might have a supplement about it. But like loadtosensorop stated, unwanted attention might be headed your way. How'd you get one so soon anyways? And remember you can wear it with blues too :)

lol no worries, I don't think alot of people really refer to it by that anymore... I wouldn't nessecarily wear it to training, but I'm sitting on my old base outprocessing for my upcoming PCS to Creech, so I'm asking things like this just because I was thinking about it. I've asked a few flyers, and the answer's always differant depending on the job and squadron. One of the instructors at BSOC told me he didn't get one issued until he got to Randolph. I got mine on Ebay. It's a gov issue Avirex with the DSCP tag, and velcro. I got it because I like the style, and I occasionally wear it while I'm flying (training when I have time and money) Right now, it's got my Commemorative AF wings and a Missouri "Show Me" B-52 patch. And yep, didn't forget about the blues!

theworkingman
08-19-2011, 02:45 AM

We spoke to one of the instructors who helped set up the new school house today and I posed the question about permanent award. He said to just go with whatever the AFI says. In reality, how long would it really take us to get through 10 combat missions anyway? He also got us (we have 5 or 6 1Us in class) pretty hyped to do this! I am so stoked to go now, I can't sit still :D

MH82
08-19-2011, 04:46 AM
Sorry, I assumed you got the ok from AFPC already.

It's cool. Believe me if they ever do give me the go ahead, I'll be all over it like stink on $h!t lol.

Brodkill
08-19-2011, 06:25 AM
Well sitting status 3. Hopefully I'll get selected for one of the FTA slots at the next board.

DmaxHunter
08-19-2011, 07:53 AM
You should not have to take leave. The one day of travel was probably for taking a plane for transportation. I'm not sure who you need to contact (maybe MPF) to have them change your orders for POV travel, but you should be able to get your travel days ammended on your orders. The first day you are authorized to travel 450 miles or 10 hours, every day after that is 350 miles or 8 hours; that is what it used to be. If you go over the hours of travel and something happens then the Air Force can do a line of duty determination and have the option of not paying for your medical expenses if they find that you disregarded the rules. I haven't heard the military not paying for somones medical, but there is always the chance.

I dont have any orders yet. I just signed the RIP. And the rip asked-

REQUESTED MODE OF TRAVEL: And I chose Privately Owned Conveyance. And following that there was a note.

NOTE: If traveling by Privately Owned Conveyance to TDY, personal leave is required if travel is more than 2 days (round trip), unless authorized as more advantageous to the government. See AFI 36-815 , 8.13.

And then I had to put how many days of leave I was requesting on the front and back of the TDY.

So maybe when they cut my orders they will give me some more travel days since I chose POV. I know this is a little different than when we headed down there to Altus, but that was because that is a re-curring TDY for the Group so they have a special policy for it.

Ask your boss for CTO days. That's what I did.

Ill look into this, thanks.

lol no worries, I don't think alot of people really refer to it by that anymore... I wouldn't nessecarily wear it to training, but I'm sitting on my old base outprocessing for my upcoming PCS to Creech, so I'm asking things like this just because I was thinking about it. I've asked a few flyers, and the answer's always differant depending on the job and squadron. One of the instructors at BSOC told me he didn't get one issued until he got to Randolph. I got mine on Ebay. It's a gov issue Avirex with the DSCP tag, and velcro. I got it because I like the style, and I occasionally wear it while I'm flying (training when I have time and money) Right now, it's got my Commemorative AF wings and a Missouri "Show Me" B-52 patch. And yep, didn't forget about the blues!

I got ya. Well hopefully you wont ever need to wear it at Creech LOL. Thats coll oyuve got one for your flying though. And yes I think things differ a lot between jobs and squadrons, just wait and see what its like with your unit.

We spoke to one of the instructors who helped set up the new school house today and I posed the question about permanent award. He said to just go with whatever the AFI says. In reality, how long would it really take us to get through 10 combat missions anyway? He also got us (we have 5 or 6 1Us in class) pretty hyped to do this! I am so stoked to go now, I can't sit still :D

Well the 10 combat missions no longer exists so dont get your hopes up for hititng that number 10 (this was the way our community did it several years ago), its just the 3 years period/dot now! Remember you wont even notice a difference going from temporarily to permenant. They will always be on your chest, and unless you PLAN on screwing up and leaving the career field and are just looking to keep the wings you wont even know and it really wont matter. There is no special event or ceremony to commemorate it, it just happens one day. Trust me it wont even be on your mind.

LoadtoSensorOp
08-19-2011, 12:51 PM
Well the 10 combat missions no longer exists so dont get your hopes up for hititng that number 10 (this was the way our community did it several years ago), its just the 3 years period/dot now! Remember you wont even notice a difference going from temporarily to permenant. They will always be on your chest, and unless you PLAN on screwing up and leaving the career field and are just looking to keep the wings you wont even know and it really wont matter. There is no special event or ceremony to commemorate it, it just happens one day. Trust me it wont even be on your mind.

Yep, getting the wings permanetely awarded won't be on your mind. What is going to be on your mind is when will my flight pay increase to $225, then $350 and last but not least topping out at $400. I have been sitting at $350 for the last few years and it's very very nice to have that extra money especially being at an AETC base wear we hardly ever go TDY.

Clark1234
08-19-2011, 04:31 PM
This is my first TDY and I'm not 100% sure about lodging. Where should I expect to stay while im in Aircrew Fundamentals in Lackland and BSOC in Randolph? How am I going to be paying for my loding while I am there? could anyone help me answer these questions because I have no idea.

rips
08-19-2011, 05:43 PM
This is my first TDY and I'm not 100% sure about lodging. Where should I expect to stay while im in Aircrew Fundamentals in Lackland and BSOC in Randolph? How am I going to be paying for my loding while I am there? could anyone help me answer these questions because I have no idea.

do you not have a GTC commonly known as a goverment travel card? if not your first step would be go talk to your RA resource advisor ASAP and get one.... that is the credit card you will be using AETC will cut orders for you no eariler than 30 days out from you ACF class date. Once you get the card call gateway inn on lackland and make reservations

shotdown
08-19-2011, 06:54 PM
I got sent off base because Lackland lodging was full. I stayed at the Staybridge Suites at Sea World. Make sure you have your CSA (GTC) card.

BSOC will have rooms reserved for you at Randolph ahead of time.

Clark1234
08-19-2011, 08:32 PM
I do have a GTC. Do you think it would be a good idea to reserve a room now in Lackland and Randolph or should I wait until later? How is the lodging at Lackland and Randolph? Is it a typical dorm room for airmen, or is it more of a nice TLF?

Also, when I recieved my GTC years ago, I never activated it by calling the number on the card. Since it's been so long, would this void the card and not allow me to activate it, and require me to get another one? or should I be good to go still?

rodney120985
08-20-2011, 01:50 AM
Havent posted on here in a while been busy with gettin ready for a new baby! Had a busy day today got my son home from the NICU and FINALLY got my 422 and 1042 back from the Public Health office today as well. Get to finally submit my package and play the waiting game even longer!! Hopefully it wont take long since I am a FTA. Have one question now that I am finally getting everything together to submit, does anybody know of anything that would stop me from gettin the job? Since I have played their games of jumping through hoops and waiting some what quietly I really dont want to be deined for something stupid!

curtst
08-21-2011, 12:03 AM
I do have a GTC. Do you think it would be a good idea to reserve a room now in Lackland and Randolph or should I wait until later? How is the lodging at Lackland and Randolph? Is it a typical dorm room for airmen, or is it more of a nice TLF?

Also, when I recieved my GTC years ago, I never activated it by calling the number on the card. Since it's been so long, would this void the card and not allow me to activate it, and require me to get another one? or should I be good to go still?

You should be fine. Go ahead and call the number to be sure. Don't want to find out the last minute.

rips
08-22-2011, 02:08 PM

i called lackland the other day and my class starts in oct. they put me up in kelly

MH82
08-22-2011, 10:00 PM
Alright, made a phone call to AFPC and got my application approved!!! Time to start getting this physical done and get everything else taken care of. Wish me luck!!!

theworkingman
08-23-2011, 12:13 AM
Round 1 complete! On to the next one...:D

selbergjd
08-23-2011, 05:18 AM
can someone confirm our flightpay for me please im seeing mixed reports most of them are outrageously outdated and were complaints from when the afsc first formed. Just curious if i should plan on getting a bigger check than normal or what. if so what do we start out at? thanks fellas.

hey who else is going to the november 18 fundies class?? be cool to keep in touch with some people till class, might help kill some time.

MH82
08-23-2011, 07:37 AM
hey selbergjd, I was wondering which shop your at? I'm AGE too, just figured it would be nice to talk to someone that doesn't like this job as well. By the way if you did your physical already, how long did it take to get it all done?

hugomk
08-23-2011, 07:43 AM
can someone confirm our flightpay for me please im seeing mixed reports most of them are outrageously outdated and were complaints from when the afsc first formed. Just curious if i should plan on getting a bigger check than normal or what. if so what do we start out at? thanks fellas.

hey who else is going to the november 18 fundies class?? be cool to keep in touch with some people till class, might help kill some time.

4 or less years $150; over 4 years $225; over 8 years $350; over 14 years $400

But for now this is only good till Dec 31, 2011 unless reauthorized. I won't be surprise if this benefit goes away at the end of the year.

Jackcricket
08-23-2011, 01:24 PM
I'm AGE as well, currently deployed FTA. I've been reading up on this career field and am going to try and crosstrain when I get to my next base. How many times could I submit an application if it were to get disapproved?

Retrainingreject
08-23-2011, 01:30 PM
Alright, made a phone call to AFPC and got my application approved!!! Time to start getting this physical done and get everything else taken care of. Wish me luck!!!

That wasn't your application, that was your retraining request.

LoadtoSensorOp
08-23-2011, 02:46 PM
4 or less years $150; over 4 years $225; over 8 years $350; over 14 years $400

But for now this is only good till Dec 31, 2011 unless reauthorized. I won't be surprise if this benefit goes away at the end of the year.

I highly doubt they take away the flight pay. They worked too hard to have it turned on. I say CEFIP is here to stay.

hugomk
08-23-2011, 03:14 PM
I highly doubt they take away the flight pay. They worked too hard to have it turned on. I say CEFIP is here to stay.

With the economic climate we are in, I won't be surprise. Look at the retirement pay alway being looked at and that benefit has been in there for a while now. I'm all for keeping it since I will be hitting my 8 year mark next year. But like what the politicians are saying, everything is on the table of being cut and I can see this one being cut as well.