PDA

View Full Version : Sensor Operator Retraining (1U0X1)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

Doood
05-24-2011, 06:22 PM
:biggrin:biggrin:biggrin:biggrin:biggrin :biggrin:biggrin:biggrin:biggrin:biggrin
"Sir, your ETP has been approved and your application is now in stat 5. A course load has been requested." Just saw this in my inbox...I just went running through the house yelling!!!

Finally!! Congrats

curtst
05-24-2011, 06:25 PM
Gratz Smitty!

turbosmitty
05-24-2011, 06:27 PM
Finally!! Congrats

Afcopholtz....you're next in line...got my fingers crossed for you guys!

turbosmitty
05-24-2011, 06:31 PM
Thanks everyone! Its been a long ride....looks like my persistence is finally starting to pay off.

afcopholtz
05-24-2011, 06:38 PM
:biggrin:biggrin:biggrin:biggrin:biggrin :biggrin:biggrin:biggrin:biggrin:biggrin
"Sir, your ETP has been approved and your application is now in stat 5. A course load has been requested." Just saw this in my inbox...I just went running through the house yelling!!!

HOLY SHIZ!!!!!! I AM SO HAPPY FOR YOU!!!!!!! I SCREAMED - Pete asked WTH and I said "Smitty made it!" He is now changing clothes to go run into work to check his real quick!

afcopholtz
05-24-2011, 06:39 PM
i see a staff spot went down so it looks like things will start moving.

What about TSgt and MSgt??!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!? Pete has to run up to work to check!!!!!

afcopholtz
05-24-2011, 06:40 PM
Thanks everyone! Its been a long ride....looks like my persistence is finally starting to pay off.

I am sooooooooooooooooooo happy for you bro!!! I think you owe someone a keg, where's Rips?

turbosmitty
05-24-2011, 06:41 PM
HOLY SHIZ!!!!!! I AM SO HAPPY FOR YOU!!!!!!! I SCREAMED - Pete asked WTH and I said "Smitty made it!" He is now changing clothes to go run into work to check his real quick!

HAHA!! I saw the email and had to read it a couple of times! I couldn't believe my eyes!

turbosmitty
05-24-2011, 06:43 PM
I am sooooooooooooooooooo happy for you bro!!! I think you owe someone a keg, where's Rips?

I haven't forgotten about you Rips! What kind of beer do you drink?

afcopholtz
05-24-2011, 06:47 PM
OMG, now I am sitting here on pins and needles, Pete just left to go check e-mail at work, I know it is a long shot. His ETP was for a balanced career field, we have orders for cop (not hard copy yet), 21 days til we fly out, I would be more than willing to extend if need be, I am trying not to get too hyper about this, but damn...I cannot go to Minot. Everytime I even think about it I get sick to my stomach. He asked if I wanted anything from the shoppette - I wanted to scream "Ben and Jerry's!", but no..I just want an answer...

Will update on what his says..this morning it said he was still at a "3", you never know.

turbosmitty
05-24-2011, 06:52 PM
AFPC was nice enough to send the email to my personal email address. I was notified about 2 hours ago. Hope he comes back with good news.

afcopholtz
05-24-2011, 06:57 PM
Nothing on our personal account, but I can tell you - they aren't consistant with their notification process...My buddy Doogie got it in his gov account and when he checked Vmpf it was updated and the date was like a week old - he checked his everyday!

afcopholtz
05-24-2011, 07:08 PM
No change, Pete just called...oh well, atleast it wasn't a disapprove...how many days was that for you??? like 200??

turbosmitty
05-24-2011, 07:16 PM
No change, Pete just called...oh well, atleast it wasn't a disapprove...how many days was that for you??? like 200??

No bueno! Today was my 175th day as status 3...I think barberakb has me beat with 180+ days

JetMech
05-24-2011, 08:02 PM
congrats Smitty, good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Slyflyfox
05-24-2011, 08:22 PM
Congrats Smitty! We're all glad to finally see it work out for you in the end! Your vigilance paid off!!!

Crewdiddy
05-24-2011, 08:54 PM
Congrats Smitty! I'm glad they are at least looking at ETPs now! I am sitting at 161 days now.

shotdown
05-24-2011, 09:29 PM
Congrats Smitty!

turbosmitty
05-24-2011, 09:57 PM
WOW!!!! STATUS 6 now!!! My class starts July 15th too!!! This is all happening way too fast!!

turbosmitty
05-24-2011, 10:23 PM
Congrats Smitty! I'm glad they are at least looking at ETPs now! I am sitting at 161 days now.

Yeah you should find out really soon!

IH8EngMTX
05-24-2011, 11:32 PM
Congrats Smitty. Goog Luck afcopholtz.

AeroNut
05-24-2011, 11:56 PM
Just a quick medical question.

How long did everyone's GBAC physical take to come back once it was submitted? All of my results come back normal/within limits, except I needed a waiver for being "overweight." The alternative body fat test showed me within limits and I've passed every PT test I've ever taken, but they said they had to submit the waiver anyway. I'm about to hit one month of waiting so I'm just kinda curious what everyone else's wait was like.

Oh and of course.. Congrats Smitty!

turbosmitty
05-25-2011, 12:20 AM
Just a quick medical question.

How long did everyone's GBAC physical take to come back once it was submitted? All of my results come back normal/within limits, except I needed a waiver for being "overweight." The alternative body fat test showed me within limits and I've passed every PT test I've ever taken, but they said they had to submit the waiver anyway. I'm about to hit one month of waiting so I'm just kinda curious what everyone else's wait was like.

Oh and of course.. Congrats Smitty!

I had a waiver for mine. It took me 5 months to get my 1042 and 422 back from flight med. Hope it doesn't take that long for you. Make sure you stay on top of them.

Thankyou!!

AeroNut
05-25-2011, 12:32 AM
I had a waiver for mine. It took me 5 months to get my 1042 and 422 back from flight med. Hope it doesn't take that long for you. Make sure you stay on top of them.

Thankyou!!

I hope so too. Flight Med told me 30-45 days but I know there's often a discrepancy between what's said and what actually happens.

..actually if I don't have it by July I'm going to apply for OSI instead.

lphill01
05-25-2011, 12:45 AM
Congrats Smitty!!!!

turbosmitty
05-25-2011, 12:51 AM
Congrats Smitty!!!!

Thanks buddy!

Is there anyone that starts class on 15 July?

rodney120985
05-25-2011, 02:29 AM
Congrats Smitty!!!! Hope yall find out something afcopholtz dont want to see yall have to come to Minot!!

Got a quick question for everybody, I have been waiting now for almost 4 weeks to get the Optometry appt. and was told today that it was scheduled but i had some sort os survey that had to be done was wondering if anybody else had to do that and what is on it since Public Health didnt sent me the email like they said they were!!!! Looks like i will have to call them again tomorrow! Sucks on how much you have to stay on top of medical for them to get sh*t done!!!

AeroNut
05-25-2011, 02:57 AM
Congrats Smitty!!!! Hope yall find out something afcopholtz dont want to see yall have to come to Minot!!

Got a quick question for everybody, I have been waiting now for almost 4 weeks to get the Optometry appt. and was told today that it was scheduled but i had some sort os survey that had to be done was wondering if anybody else had to do that and what is on it since Public Health didnt sent me the email like they said they were!!!! Looks like i will have to call them again tomorrow! Sucks on how much you have to stay on top of medical for them to get sh*t done!!!

I don't recall doing a "survey," bit I do recall filling out about 10 different medical evaluation forms. I definitely didn't fill out a survey or any survey-esque paperwork for optometry.

lphill01
05-25-2011, 04:32 AM
I had to do a health history survey before my class III, but not when I downgraded to the GBAC. Haven't heard anyone mention having to do it here.

rodney120985
05-25-2011, 05:17 AM
That is what I figured it sounded kinda strange to have to do a survey. I did fill out a bunch of medical eval forms when I started the whole process but prob not all that I am goin to fill out.

Slyflyfox
05-25-2011, 04:51 PM
Rodney, I know exactly what you're talking about, obviously because I'm stationed at Minot and I had to have the same thing done a year ago. One of the forms is, DD Form 2808, Report of Medical Examination. I basically filled out my portions, and at all of my appointments the respective medical section would note extra information on this form. Other than that, the only other type of survery form that I had to accomplish was completed directly at Public health via the assistance of one of the Technicians. ...They had told me repeatedly that they would send me a link to that survey in Email... however they never did and I had to continue to complain about it until one of them let me behind the counter and complete it at their computer. Med can be a joke, and a lot can get lost in translation from one section to the next. You have to keep tabs and go after them if they "forget" about you. Persistence was key for me, or I wouldn't be in class right now... Flight med hurdle was the toughest for me. Good luck.

rodney120985
05-25-2011, 07:04 PM
Thanks Sly I am tryin my best to keep up on the med peeps. Just dont want to piss anybody by buggin the hell out of them, dont want me stuff getting "LOST"!!

ammoto1U
05-25-2011, 08:58 PM
Yessir, I start ACF on 15 July. Congrats also, saw that you just got picked up.
Thanks buddy!

Is there anyone that starts class on 15 July?

jeremy831
05-25-2011, 09:31 PM
I'm not sure if any of you would know the answer to this, but before I actually submit my package I want to make sure of something.

I've completed all the requirements to apply for the retrain but I just found out yesterday that I am now scheduled to deploy for 7 months come August. If I get approved for the retrain while I'm gone, will they just hold my orders/class date off until I get back or how would that work? I just don't want to completely lose out on my chance for this FY or waste my CAREERS option.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

Slyflyfox
05-25-2011, 09:37 PM
Not a very informational answer Jeremy, but I'd guess that they'd hold your orders/class. When I got Status 5/6 on November 3rd '10, my class date was exactly 6.5 months out. I'd hope they could hold them for at least those 30 extra days that you'd be deployed. I'd say strike while the iron is hot and they're taking SO Retrainee's like crazy. Don't lose that CAREERS option!

JetMech
05-25-2011, 11:33 PM
yes they will. i'm currenlty deployed and started the process before i left. when my commander signed off on my app for retraining we added a note that i was going to be deployed and if picked up he would prefer i finish my deployment. i also connected AFPC and the old me it is not a factor for not getting picked. they would just put me in a seat after the deployment. hope that helps. good luck

I'm not sure if any of you would know the answer to this, but before I actually submit my package I want to make sure of something.

I've completed all the requirements to apply for the retrain but I just found out yesterday that I am now scheduled to deploy for 7 months come August. If I get approved for the retrain while I'm gone, will they just hold my orders/class date off until I get back or how would that work? I just don't want to completely lose out on my chance for this FY or waste my CAREERS option.

AeroNut
05-26-2011, 12:17 AM

It may depend on when your class date is. A good friend of mine applied for retraining and then received a notice that he was deploying. Shortly after the deployment notice he received a class date which conflicted with the deployment. His deployment was dropped and he wll be attending the scheduled class date. Granted he's "scoring" every single TDY between now and then (retribution much?) and is getting swapped from shift to shift every single week, but at least he's getting the hell out of his [hated] AFSC.

selbergjd
05-26-2011, 12:45 AM
So i've been working on my package since the beginning of October 2010. i finally got to see a board on the 1st of this month and they pushed me back to the next board its driving me nuts. if they end up declining me after the third board can i resubmit the same package or do i have to do everything over again? been a while since my flight physical so im not to sure on how long they will let me sit on my results. i have 5-5-4-5-5 eprs so i cant imagine anything really holding me back i dont have anything that would reflect poorly at the board im wondering if theres a line waiting for the review boards now or what. Anyone actually getting pushed away with a good package? 70 slots open it seems like they would take just about everyone. I need this job! i hate having to scrape grease out of my hair every night lol.

IH8EngMTX
05-26-2011, 01:12 AM
jeremy, I was scheduled to deploy and recieved my class dates two weeks before I went. My class dates would have been in Jan at the end of my tour of the Deid so I called the schedular, Terry Warren, and had him put me in a later class after i explained my situation to him. It can be done. A coworker in the Deid was approved for FE while there and had to have his date moved as well. It isn't any big deal as I'm sure they get these situations all the time.

rips
05-26-2011, 12:57 PM
SMITTTTY!!!! grats bro sorry been on leave trying to make this time fly as fast as possible! cant wait for that keg! budlite is fine with me =]!... dont know what your intentions are of getting pcs but i hope to be in creech!

rips
05-26-2011, 01:57 PM
and holtz... keep your head up your next i feel it!

afcopholtz
05-26-2011, 02:04 PM
and holtz... keep your head up your next i feel it!

I hope you are right! We still don't have hard copy orders for Minot so that maybe a good thing. Hey, don'y good things come in
3's? Lets see, Pete made MSgt, then last night he got blue belted in BJJ (jiu Jitsu), and so getting approved would be the third!!!! Atleast that is how I like to think of it! LOL! 19 Days!!!!

jeremy831
05-26-2011, 07:39 PM
I appreciate all the responses. I figured they'd have experienced that kind of stuff before considering pretty much everyone deploys. It'll be my first and I've heard SOs don't actually deploy all that much so I wanted one in first.

Hopefully I shouldn't have too many issues in getting all this done. I've already got my TS clearance and have already been Aircrew qualified so we'll just have to wait and see.

turbosmitty
05-27-2011, 01:33 AM
SMITTTTY!!!! grats bro sorry been on leave trying to make this time fly as fast as possible! cant wait for that keg! budlite is fine with me =]!... dont know what your intentions are of getting pcs but i hope to be in creech!

Thanks buddy!!

How long did it take for you to get the email welcoming you to the career field; from the time you got approved? I've got Whiteman at #1 and Creech at #2.

rips
05-27-2011, 02:03 PM
Thanks buddy!!

How long did it take for you to get the email welcoming you to the career field; from the time you got approved? I've got Whiteman at #1 and Creech at #2.

around a week i suppose!

Barberakb
05-28-2011, 03:27 AM
No bueno! Today was my 175th day as status 3...I think barberakb has me beat with 180+ days

Well I did have you beat. In RFC now. Congratz tho.

IH8EngMTX
05-28-2011, 01:15 PM
So barbara wins for longest wait and I think I win for shortest. It was barely 2 weeks from when I submitted my package to my commander till my training manager handed me my rip with class dates. I didn't even see status 5 on vMPF. On a Friday it was still a 3, I was handed the rips the following tuesday and was a 6. I didn't check it on monday because I didn't want to be that guy who checks it every free moment. I think I may have jumped to the front of the board line at the time though since I was 4 months away from my DOS.

AeroNut
05-28-2011, 02:41 PM
I think I may have jumped to the front of the board line at the time though since I was 4 months away from my DOS.

I'm not sure if you were retraining under CAREERS as an FTA or NCORP, but I've seen statements similar to this before. If you were retraining under the NCORP, I have yet to find a "rack-and-stack" criteria listed anywhere. If retraining under CAREERS as an FTA, the criteria is:

4.1.3.2. Uses the following criteria to rank the applications: Most recent EPR; current grade; projected
grade; next three EPRs; Date of Rank (DOR); Total Active Federal Military Service Date
(TAFMSD); AQE score in the applicable area (electrical, mechanical, administrative, or general);
requested AFSC preferences.

I've seen a lot of posts from First Term Airmen referring to "a good package," and I'm just curious if these people have read this part of AFI 2626. Being 4 months away from DOS could very well be a factor if you were applying under NCORP, but the only thing it should affect under CAREERS is your DOR and TAFMSD which are both a little ways down the criteria list.

IH8EngMTX
05-29-2011, 05:36 PM
Good to know AeroNut. I was under Careers and since other people may be wondering how they stack up I will post that info in order.

4, E-5, only a SSgt a year at the time so still projected E-5, 5-5-4, DOR 1 Oct 09, 01 DEC 04 TAFMSD, ADMIN-77 ELECTRICAL-81 GENERAL-66 MECHANICAL-80, and 1U011 was my first choice.

Slyflyfox
05-29-2011, 07:27 PM
Same here, here were my FTA stats:4.5 year E-5, SSgt for only 7 months so still projected E-5. EPR's 5-5-5-5, DOR: 1 Apr 10, 06 SEP 05 TAFMSD, ASVAB: ADMIN-84 ELECTRICAL-88 GENERAL-81 MECHANICAL-86, and 1U011 was my first and only choice. Selected first board, about 30 days after it was finally submitted. Then waited 6.5 months for class. Good Luck!

JetMech
05-30-2011, 12:10 AM
when do the boards meet exactly??? i've been code 3 since 5 apr 2011. i'm ETP because i'm career field is balanced. here's my run down 11 year E-6, no projected grade yet (hope to fix that after deployment), EPR's all 5's DOR 1 Jun 08, 18 Aug 99 TAFMSD ASVAB all 85-90's across the board.

Slyflyfox
05-30-2011, 12:36 AM
when do the boards meet exactly??? i've been code 3 since 5 apr 2011. i'm ETP because i'm career field is balanced. here's my run down 11 year E-6, no projected grade yet (hope to fix that after deployment), EPR's all 5's DOR 1 Jun 08, 18 Aug 99 TAFMSD ASVAB all 85-90's across the board.

Sorry Jetmech, In case you didn't know, boards only apply to First Term Airmen (FTA). Since you're 2nd term or later, and have an ETP you'll be on a first come first serve basis. Basically FTA are supposed to have their QRP board the last duty day of the month, and then status' are updated sometime the first week of the next month. Second termers, (NCORP) sometimes require ETP's. Those using NCORP can have their packages approved or denied at any time.

I may be wrong, but I'd imagine that your stats would figure just as well towards selection against other NCORP potential Retrainee's. Taking your ETP into account as well of course. I don't know too much about NCORP's Retraining Gauntlet/Journey. Barberakb and Turbosmitty would be your ticket for those answers. Combined, they basically waited forever and a day. ;) But they made the cut!

AeroNut
05-30-2011, 04:36 AM
Good to know AeroNut. I was under Careers and since other people may be wondering how they stack up I will post that info in order.

4, E-5, only a SSgt a year at the time so still projected E-5, 5-5-4, DOR 1 Oct 09, 01 DEC 04 TAFMSD, ADMIN-77 ELECTRICAL-81 GENERAL-66 MECHANICAL-80, and 1U011 was my first choice.

Same here, here were my FTA stats:4.5 year E-5, SSgt for only 7 months so still projected E-5. EPR's 5-5-5-5, DOR: 1 Apr 10, 06 SEP 05 TAFMSD, ASVAB: ADMIN-84 ELECTRICAL-88 GENERAL-81 MECHANICAL-86, and 1U011 was my first and only choice. Selected first board, about 30 days after it was finally submitted. Then waited 6.5 months for class. Good Luck!

These posts give me hope! Using the rack-and-stack criteria in AFI-2626 I would actually have both of you beat. If you both picked it up that quick, I should be ok. I'm going nuts waiting for my physical profile to come back from Air Staff.

Slyflyfox
05-30-2011, 05:59 AM
As far as 4 people (3 coworkers and myself) putting in a CAREERS package for 1U0X1 it's been a 50% selection rate. My good friend of the bunch had stats even more mixed, but got selected with these stats: The 1U ASVAB requirement is G-64 or E-64. His ASVAB only cleared the Electrical right at 54. But he won BTZ so his DOR was obviously better than many in the CAREERS window. His EPR's were all firewall's. With a mixture of low and high stats he cleared the hurdle and was likewise selected on board 1 of 3.

As far as the other two coworkers... 1 basically had the same stats as I, lower asvab scores, but he did not put his package in within the timeframe stated in the AFI... (Yes I know it's critical) but he put it after, and it was too late. It mentions to sumbit the package between the 59th and 67th month of a 6 year contract. It took his med paperwork so long to get through that by the time he actually submitted it they denied him before he even had a QRP board. He received a notification around 2 weeks after submittal that he was after his window. (He put it in during the 68th or 69th month)

The other coworker had a "Stripe losing incident", for domestic violence the day he won BTZ a few years ago, lost his new SrA stripe... not even a day on his arm. When putting in his package, he made it back to SrA with a line # for SSgt. So obviously he took a big hit for his rank in the stats (which probably nuked his chances) Not to mention a 4 EPR. Oddly enough, after not getting selected after 3 boards, he put in a package for CATM (Combat Arms *cops only*) and got selected on QRP board 1. He is actually down here with me at Lackland right now, but of course going through CATM. Funny how that works, but SF is hurting for CATM in the retraining advisory, they will take anyone.

Oh well, that's just a little more insight into some packages that have gone in for 1U and how they measure, just to give you an even more rounded idea of where you and others fall. I had other criteria that obviously didn't matter in the QRP process, but would have helped if it were allowed. We mentioned this in the boards a few months back, but I had a TS Clearance coming in adjudicated in 2008, and also a B.A. degree with a 3.77 Honors GPA and a CCAF. I feel very fortunate to have made it either way! Bring on BSOC 2.0 next week!

AeroNut
05-30-2011, 10:30 PM
Well let's see.. here's my stats in criteria order:

Most recent EPR: 5
Current grade: E-5
Projected grade: N/A (1st TSgt test will be around Feb '12)
Next three EPRs: 5, 5, 5
Date of Rank: 1 July 2010
TAFMSD: 16 October 2006
AQE Scores: 99/99/99/96 (96 was admin)
AFSC Preference: 1U0X1 is the only AFSC I listed

Hopefully I'll be a "shoe-in" as soon as I get my physical profile back. It's only been a month but I'm getting impatient. And Slyflyfox, I wish education would get taken into consideration. I have a B.S. and a CCAF as well. Despite the fact that we are getting a lot more new Airmen coming in with undergrad degrees, even a CCAF is still rare.

Slyflyfox
05-30-2011, 11:47 PM
Well let's see.. here's my stats in criteria order:

Most recent EPR: 5
Current grade: E-5
Projected grade: N/A (1st TSgt test will be around Feb '12)
Next three EPRs: 5, 5, 5
Date of Rank: 1 July 2010
TAFMSD: 16 October 2006
AQE Scores: 99/99/99/96 (96 was admin)
AFSC Preference: 1U0X1 is the only AFSC I listed

Hopefully I'll be a "shoe-in" as soon as I get my physical profile back. It's only been a month but I'm getting impatient. And Slyflyfox, I wish education would get taken into consideration. I have a B.S. and a CCAF as well. Despite the fact that we are getting a lot more new Airmen coming in with undergrad degrees, even a CCAF is still rare.

Yep, I'm sure you'll be a shoe-in. Here's those statistics.

AF enlisted Education Statistics sourced from Airman Magazine's "The Book 2011" AF wide statistics (Can be found on www.airmanonline.af.mil on page 47 at the bottom.)

Enlisted Academic Education: Out of 263,437 Enlisted Airmen total (obviously this fluctuates daily)
-Associate’s degree or equivalent hours: . 19.3%
-Bachelor’s degree: . . . . . . . . . . . . . 5.7%
-Master’s degree: . . . . . . . . . . . . 0.96%

So if this criteria did count toward a QRP you'd be up there, even higher. As we can see for any given 5 Airmen, we can bet that 1 will have an Associates/CCAF... Bachelors, we can bet just a little better than 1 out of 20 Airmen will have one. Anyway, with the stats you mentioned, you'll be good to go without a doubt! It's funny how far we could really break this down... especially if the system is supposed/geared to select those individuals which would have the very highest possibility or aptitude of completing retraining into another AFSC. If the AF really wanted to get technical (and I'm surprised they don't) it could very well go all the way down to GPA's etc.

AeroNut
05-31-2011, 01:27 AM
Enlisted Academic Education: Out of 263,437 Enlisted Airmen total (obviously this fluctuates daily)
-Associate’s degree or equivalent hours: . 19.3%
-Bachelor’s degree: . . . . . . . . . . . . . 5.7%
-Master’s degree: . . . . . . . . . . . . 0.96%

You know... the Bachelor's degree statistic here is the only thing that doesn't surprise me. I would think with the ease of the CCAF that there would be a lot more Associates degree holders. The Masters statistic sorta surprises me too.. though I guess it shouldn't. I'm working on a Masters and I'm noticing a lot of people doing the same thing.

If the AF really wanted to get technical (and I'm surprised they don't) it could very well go all the way down to GPA's etc.

The Air Force went from using, to not using, and then back to using GPA as a qualifier for OTS applicants. Part of the problem with using GPA is that it's slightly subjective. Airman A who obtained a 4.0 while doing a B.A. in Liberal Arts from UMUC is not nearly as impressive as Airman B who obtained a 3.0 in Electrical Engineering from MIT. Some programs are just not nearly as difficult.

I'm going way off track here... but I do agree that completion of at least the CCAF could be used as a retraining criteria. I'm sure about 80.7% of the Air Force might disagree though :D.

Slyflyfox
05-31-2011, 01:43 AM
Yeah, I agree. A lot would get lost in translation if they straight up took a "number" vs the difficulty of a given program of study. I also assembled 2 OTS packages, only for both Non-Rated boards to get cut... because of LT's deciding to stay in, bad economy/outlook etc. But it was for the best because I was ready to go SF Officer side then. Now I have an RPA pilot hope/dream for the future. I have just under 4 years left to make Pilot training... but let's get through RPA SO school first lol, then we'll talk!

Yes, the CCAF credits you obtain from Basic, Tech school, 5 &7 Levels and ALS/NCOA basically award the CCAF! I had 1 class to complete after all of this pipeline training and my B.A. work. Just the Speech class, but I did the CLEP. Last year the CCAF/Associates statistic was 17%, so it's increasing at least. I for a fact never believe that my B.A Degree makes me smarter. I just basically played the game. Society is looking for individuals who can commit to any solid program from start to completion for at least 4 years. Basically dealing with the bullshit in full, and coming out with a piece of paper. A lot of people can't handle that heat, and get don't the job done, for whatever reason... not enough dedication, time, money, don't care. What's important is that "dedication/completion" is the deciding factor in who is overall favored to a given employer(Major aside) Obviously some jobs require a specific/technical major. The stats U.S. wide for a Bachelors hover around 25% so, 1 out of 4 people. so In my case, if I wasn't stationed at horrible Minot AFB, I'd never have completed "the game" I'd be too busy deploying, checking out other countries, coasts etc, etc. We know how it goes in the end, competition is everyting, and if the Air Force has taught us anything, there is always going to be more "Training" and more "Tests".

IH8EngMTX
05-31-2011, 01:48 AM
I wish the military took those of us who were enlisted and completed a B.A. or B.S. into consideration for rank or something. I didn't get anything for coming in with my degree. Every year when my supervisor asks what I am doing for education for my EPR, I have to remind them that I already have my B.A. and could care less about getting some BS CCAF degree most employers don't give a shit about.

Slyflyfox
05-31-2011, 02:01 AM
I wish the military took those of us who were enlisted and completed a B.A. or B.S. into consideration for rank or something. I didn't get anything for coming in with my degree. Every year when my supervisor asks what I am doing for education for my EPR, I have to remind them that I already have my B.A. and could care less about getting some BS CCAF degree most employers don't give a shit about.

What pisses me off most is that priors with a B.A. don't get a guaranteed shot at commission! Don't give me the 70% select rate with AECP 1 board a year crap either lol. USAFA is a guaranteed commission. ROTC is basically a guaranteed commission. But OTS rates for Prior Service Hover between 40% -high 50%. It's BS. Yes I know, some priors have the "too much of a hands on approach" and will never amount to good officers. However the majority of us could and will. I just wish there was a guaranteed commission opportunity for prior service and not only those straight out of HS. The USAFA and OTS account for about 20% of Commissions each. and ROTC amounts the rest. To get a guaranteed commission, why should I have leave the service only to go to school full time with my 9/11 GI Bill and work a job in order to add extra cash to feed my wife and son (obviously for a family the BAH rate will not feed a family, in addition to keeping a roof over their head) Rediculousness... But a guaranteed commission nonetheless...

AeroNut
05-31-2011, 02:25 AM
I wish the military took those of us who were enlisted and completed a B.A. or B.S. into consideration for rank or something.

New enlistees can receive E-3 upon signing if they have enough credits. When you go up for SMSgt and CMSgt, a Bachelors or Masters can actually help (or so I'm told).

But OTS rates for Prior Service Hover between 40% -high 50%.

I started compiling an OTS package for a non-rated board that was scrapped. I always wondered what the acceptance rate for just the enlisted applicants was. Your numbers seem sort of optimistic, although again I never saw the enlisted-only stats. They only published the overall acceptance rates, which were a whopping 10%-30% depending on the board. I'm thinking I'll wait for all this RIF nonsense to stop and then put together an application. Also, even though I'm a "fast burner" and get recognized with medals quite a bit (compared to the next guy), I have never received a quarterly award and my PT tests aren't all that amazing (all passing, though). I know with the current state of things, the boards will likely shun anyone who doesn't have a 90+ PT score and a quarterly award track record.

Slyflyfox
05-31-2011, 02:31 AM
Those numbers are even more discouraging lol. I've gotten kinda lucky in the extras department, My last 2 tests under the new PT program were 90%+ and I've won 2 yearly, (1 Group, 1 Squadron) and 1 NAF Quarterly Award. AFOQT scores were ok, could be better, good enough for me though.

A main point from my rant above that I forgot was: Why should civilians be selected over us prior military when we already know that we are adaptable to the military lifestyle/culture? Would it not theoretically be an almost effortless transition into the Officer Corps? Investing more into money already well spent? Oh well, rant over. Many things will continue to lack common sense in the AF.

IH8EngMTX
05-31-2011, 11:18 PM
New enlistees can receive E-3 upon signing if they have enough credits. When you go up for SMSgt and CMSgt, a Bachelors or Masters can actually help (or so I'm told).

I know about this and would have come in as an A1C because of it if I wasn't already coming in as an A1C due to ROTC dissenrollment. Here's the story if interested: http://www.militarytimes.com/forum/showthread.php?1589624-Funny-Tech-School-Rope-Stories&p=445740&highlight=#post445740

Anyway, I suppose there isn't any updated news for anyone.

lphill01
06-01-2011, 01:42 AM
Anyone who's been through AFC, did you catch any grief with not having full med records with them, or less than 48 months retainability? I have my 1042, and about 40 months on the clock.

turbosmitty
06-01-2011, 01:47 AM
Anyone who's been through AFC, did you catch any grief with not having full med records with them, or less than 48 months retainability? I have my 1042, and about 40 months on the clock.

I was also wondering about having 48 months of retainability. I called AFPC to verify; and they're telling me I need 36 months. The email I recieved from Mr. Warren states this: "We recommend 2nd Term and Career Airmen get 48-months to save a trip to the MPF for IQT, which has a 36-month Active Duty Service Commitment from the IQT graduation date per HQ ACC and HQ AFSOC."

Slyflyfox
06-01-2011, 01:51 AM
I was also wondering about having 48 months of retainability. I called AFPC to verify; and they're telling me I need 36 months. The email I recieved from Mr. Warren states this: "We recommend 2nd Term and Career Airmen get 48-months to save a trip to the MPF for IQT, which has a 36-month Active Duty Service Commitment from the IQT graduation date per HQ ACC and HQ AFSOC."

I just graduated AFC today and there was no need whatsoever for Medical Records. As a matter of fact, I actually got the advice off of this board not to bring them. We had a couple of people bring them, however they were told to hold on to them... because if forfeited, the liklihood of them being lost forever in trainee hell was very good! Of course, still have your 1042 and 422. They didn't even check the retainability for anyone at this course. So I'd guess you're good on that as well.

lphill01
06-01-2011, 01:55 AM
That's what I remember. Emphesis on 36 months. But I'm leaving for SA tomorrow, so I looked over the reporting instructions and found that. I just want to calm the pre-game jitters. Just don't want to go on a 15 hr trip for nothing.

turbosmitty
06-01-2011, 01:58 AM
That's what I remember. Emphesis on 36 months. But I'm leaving for SA tomorrow, so I looked over the reporting instructions and found that. I just want to calm the pre-game jitters. Just don't want to go on a 15 hr trip for nothing.

You should be fine. I've got a friend thats in class now and he told me he only needed 36 months.

lphill01
06-01-2011, 02:47 AM
Thanks guys!

shotdown
06-01-2011, 04:06 AM
You just need your 1042 for AFC and BSOC. You'll need your Information Protection Certificate for BSOC so that you can use the computers in class.

afcopholtz
06-01-2011, 12:54 PM
Still no movement for us. Ho-hum....Life sucks.. :(

IH8EngMTX
06-01-2011, 01:10 PM
phill, you will be fine with that much retainability. I only had 21 months and that was due to getting an extension. The retainability is more for when you finally get orders and have to have at least 24 months retainability to accept the orders. I had to get our functional to waiver me for that because I will be PCS'ing at the same time that would be the earliest I could re-enlist. I'll re-up once I get to Creech.

EyesINtheSky
06-02-2011, 03:01 PM
I just graduated AFC today...
Congrats Brother, keep me updated on how 2.0 is. The
old BSOC class wasnt bad except for block six, and im sure IH8ENGMTX can concur with hating block six as well. Now hurry up and get done there and get orders to [hopefully] Creech!

IH8EngMTX
06-02-2011, 04:29 PM
I only hated block six because I missed one question on the test and ruined my perfect 100% streak. Although, some of the info was kind of retarded.

theworkingman
06-02-2011, 04:37 PM
I just have one question...why does everybody seem to want to/be excited about going to Creech? From what I've heard, its a pit. Am I wrong? Right now Im leaning on trying to get Elsworth if its open or Whiteman if that fails.

EyesINtheSky
06-02-2011, 04:56 PM
I only hated block six because I missed one question on the test and ruined my perfect 100% streak. Although, some of the info was kind of retarded.

Ya, I only missed one as well, but seemed alot of my class didnt do bad, but didnt do as well as the other tests. Kinda curious if that info is still one block, or if they combined it with another block in the 2.0 class.

EyesINtheSky
06-02-2011, 05:01 PM
I just have one question...why does everybody seem to want to/be excited about going to Creech? From what I've heard, its a pit. Am I wrong? Right now Im leaning on trying to get Elsworth if its open or Whiteman if that fails.

A lot of people want creech because of living in Las Vegas. I havent actually checked into Creech yet, but Ive been stationed here for 3 years now with my previous job, I actually hate Vegas. I would like Ellsworth or Cannon even. Definitely wouldnt want Whiteman though...I just hate the humidity. Im working on only being here at Creech for about a year or less and getting somewhere else.

I do know that Creech is kind of a dump. Its starting to build up a bit, but personnel still need to use a lot of the Nellis facilities, such as the ER, BX, commissary, Etc... plus the hr drive to creech from nellis (where I live) isnt such a wonderful thing either. I am, although, a firm believer of the phrase "Every base is what you make of it". Big blue will place us where it needs us, and instead of complaining about it, i just embrace it.

EyesINtheSky
06-02-2011, 05:01 PM

A lot of people want creech because of living in Las Vegas. I havent actually checked into Creech yet, but Ive been stationed here for 3 years now with my previous job, I actually hate Vegas. I would like Ellsworth or Cannon even. Definitely wouldnt want Whiteman though...I just hate the humidity. Im working on only being here at Creech for about a year or less and getting somewhere else.

I do know that Creech is kind of a dump. Its starting to build up a bit, but personnel still need to use a lot of the Nellis facilities, such as the ER, BX, commissary, Etc... plus the hr drive to creech from nellis (where I live) isnt such a wonderful thing either. I am, although, a firm believer of the phrase "Every base is what you make of it". Big blue will place us where it needs us, and instead of complaining about it, i just embrace it.

IH8EngMTX
06-02-2011, 05:34 PM
Correct. I want Creech because of Vegas and the proximity to lots of other activites. San Diego is only 4 hours away, LA a bit further. Colorado and tons of other plces as well. I can go snow skiiing in the winter, be on the lake in the summer and my family will actually fly out to see me. I know for a fact that getting anyone to visit me out at Cannon is next to impossible, Whiteman would be similar. I picked Whiteman over Cannon but wasn't really wanting to go there either. Flooding, Bible Belt BS, and several other reasons kept me from really wanting it. I actually plan on buying a house in Vegas too whereas I wouldn't dare in NM or MS.

curtst
06-02-2011, 05:41 PM

Yes Creech is a pit. Currently TDY here for a second time. Been here for 2 days and ready to head home. Vegas is cool and all but for a married person with kids, its a better place to visit than live. At least in my opinion. I wanted to drive my car into the side of a mountain on that drive. I don't mind driving an hour or so to go some where special once in awhile such as the case is at Whiteman. But doing that every day? Hell no. Especially at the gas prices are.

Maybe someone could clear up a rumor I heard yesterday. I probably wouldn't mind Creech if I could ride the bus. But because of some changes this isn't always possible, such as not running at night. But I heard because of the shooting on the bus in Germany a little while ago that the only way to get on the bus is at Nellis, you can't go to the park and ride any more. If that is true and I got stationed at Creech they would have a hard time getting me to work. There is no way I would be able to afford the gas cost lol.

curtst
06-02-2011, 05:49 PM
...my family will actually fly out to see me. I know for a fact that getting anyone to visit me out at Cannon is next to impossible...

My wifes family doesn't come to visit us in Whiteman. They would in Vegas and even said so. Any family that doesn't want to visit us because of where I live is family I could care less about seeing.

I know that seems harsh but damn, it just isn't right. They aren't visiting the area, they are visiting us. Just doesn't make since to me.

...NM or MS.
You can't go to MS in this career field. :P Been in Whiteman for 7 years, haven't had any troubles with flooding or the bible belt BS.

AeroNut
06-02-2011, 07:03 PM
I actually plan on buying a house in Vegas too whereas I wouldn't dare in NM or MS.

I share your plan, assuming I get into SO and get orders to Creech. Vegas is a buyer's market, but keep that in mind. Should you ever need to sell, it will likely still be a buyer's market. Still.. looking at realtor websites.. you can get SO much house for the money out there. It's nuts!

IH8EngMTX
06-02-2011, 09:42 PM
My bad Curtst, I confused MS was Missouri (MO). Just a typo, that's all. I actualy thought you were stationed at Creech. Don't get me wrong, I'll take Whiteman over Cannon or Ellsworth if I have the choice in the future.

I just got off the phone with a realtor actually. If you are a USAA member, look into the Mover's Advantage program. USAA will actualy help you find a good realtor and even pay you to use them.

YaKkO
06-02-2011, 10:33 PM
I share your plan, assuming I get into SO and get orders to Creech. Vegas is a buyer's market, but keep that in mind. Should you ever need to sell, it will likely still be a buyer's market. Still.. looking at realtor websites.. you can get SO much house for the money out there. It's nuts!

Where did you here that from?

AeroNut
06-02-2011, 11:10 PM
Where did you here that from?

A few articles I've read on the internet and some first hand experience from a family member of mine. My aunt is a real estate investor in southern California and owns dozens of rental properties. She has purchased several in Las Vegas, and has gone very upside down in a few over the past couple years due to the housing bubble bursting there. In a conversation with her she was mentioning that it has turned into quite the buyer's market, and sellers are having a hard time getting any real value out of their homes. I've also seen a few posts on this thread from people at Creech that have sort of followed suit with this notion. Zillow (dot) com shows that the home value index in Las Vegas has dropped 6.3% since last July alone. This type of measurement is usually pretty indicative of a buyer's market.

I could very well be wrong, as I do not currently reside there, so please correct me if that is the case.

AeroNut
06-02-2011, 11:16 PM
Oh and also, a bit of a status update on my progress and some useful heads up info for those currently in the retraining process..

I called flight medicine to check the status of my GBAC physical's path to Air Staff and back. I was told it would take roughly 30 days, so since it's been about 35 or so now I figured I'd see what's up. The SSgt that handles the GBAC/FCI/IIU/III physicals explained the current procedures to me. Apparently my flight medicine section is backed up (no surprise), but the Air Staff section which handles GBAC processing is backed up as well. Supposedly this section relocated to Brooks in April and it has put a bit of a delay on things. The SSgt assured me that my application would be input into the system (apparently it's just loaded into a digital IS) by Monday. He said the current turn around for GBACs going to Air Staff is about 2 weeks and change.

So to those of you waiting for your GBAC physicals... expect a 2-3 week wait once you're flight medicine section loads your info into the system.

shotdown
06-03-2011, 01:35 AM
Las Vegas is definitely a buyers market...just not a sellers market. Most of the homes are foreclosures if that tells you anything. Hope you don't plan on selling anytime soon.

On the other hand, don't know if I mentioned it but half the class got orders to Creech (their first choice). The rest of us are still waiting. Hope I get Creech too.

YaKkO
06-03-2011, 01:59 AM
A few articles I've read on the internet and some first hand experience from a family member of mine. My aunt is a real estate investor in southern California and owns dozens of rental properties. She has purchased several in Las Vegas, and has gone very upside down in a few over the past couple years due to the housing bubble bursting there. In a conversation with her she was mentioning that it has turned into quite the buyer's market, and sellers are having a hard time getting any real value out of their homes. I've also seen a few posts on this thread from people at Creech that have sort of followed suit with this notion. Zillow (dot) com shows that the home value index in Las Vegas has dropped 6.3% since last July alone. This type of measurement is usually pretty indicative of a buyer's market.

I could very well be wrong, as I do not currently reside there, so please correct me if that is the case.

Makes 100% sense. I had a blonde moment and looked at the statement as you talking about it being a sellers market.

Which it definitely is not lol

AeroNut
06-03-2011, 02:51 AM
Makes 100% sense. I had a blonde moment and looked at the statement as you talking about it being a sellers market.

Which it definitely is not lol

It still seems like such a golden opportunity to buy for those of us who could end up moving there. I think the "not a seller's market" notion is quite a bit more dramatic if you bought when the market was booming and are now trying to sell at a low. If you purchase during the low points, the turn-around sale may not be nearly as bad. Looking at a some of the real estate listings, I can't see things getting a whole lot cheaper in Vegas.

YaKkO
06-03-2011, 02:59 AM
It still seems like such a golden opportunity to buy for those of us who could end up moving there. I think the "not a seller's market" notion is quite a bit more dramatic if you bought when the market was booming and are now trying to sell at a low. If you purchase during the low points, the turn-around sale may not be nearly as bad. Looking at a some of the real estate listings, I can't see things getting a whole lot cheaper in Vegas.

Yeah I see what you are saying. IMO you just need to be sure that you are gonna be in Vegas for a while before you buy though. I have seen so many people be put in bad situations because they buy and then for whatever reason they are lookin at a PCS waaaay sooner that they were prepared for.

For instance you could get thrown into Instructor Upgrade quick and be looking at a PCS to Holloman a lot quicker than you think.

(A little back ground on me: I was a Predator MX guy before I cross trained to Flight Engineer so I have hung out with SO's and am aware of there career field)

AeroNut
06-03-2011, 03:05 AM
For instance you could get thrown into Instructor Upgrade quick and be looking at a PCS to Holloman a lot quicker than you think.

You know I never thought of that kind of thing for the SO field. In my mind it sorta seemed like one of those fields where you're going to be planted at one base for quite some time. I bought my first house here at my first base and, assuming I get picked up for SO, will be leaving around the 2 1/2 year mark of my mortgage. It's always been my plan to buy a house at each base I go to and just keep renting out each house as I PCS, but when you consider things like the Instructor Upgrade possibility it makes renting look MUCH better. Still.. the idea of having about 5 houses around the country all being paid for by someone else sounds pretty enticing.

YaKkO
06-03-2011, 03:08 AM
You know I never thought of that kind of thing for the SO field. In my mind it sorta seemed like one of those fields where you're going to be planted at one base for quite some time. I bought my first house here at my first base and, assuming I get picked up for SO, will be leaving around the 2 1/2 year mark of my mortgage. It's always been my plan to buy a house at each base I go to and just keep renting out each house as I PCS, but when you consider things like the Instructor Upgrade possibility it makes renting look MUCH better. Still.. the idea of having about 5 houses around the country all being paid for by someone else sounds pretty enticing.

I'm just a lover of renting in the Military.

It's sooo much easier. We have enough BS to deal with let alone dealing with a tenets A/C going out when we have to fly that day.

EyesINtheSky
06-03-2011, 04:10 AM
From what I've heard, RPA squadrons are going to try to move their people around about every 3 years or so. Now I know this isnt the case as of now, but as soon as we stand up the Target number of CAPS we are quickly approaching, I see it happening. More bases will open up for us, so we would almost have to move often. They can't stand up new SQs with all 3 lvl sensors. Know what I mean?

AeroNut
06-03-2011, 05:14 AM
From what I've heard, RPA squadrons are going to try to move their people around about every 3 years or so. Now I know this isnt the case as of now, but as soon as we stand up the Target number of CAPS we are quickly approaching, I see it happening. More bases will open up for us, so we would almost have to move often. They can't stand up new SQs with all 3 lvl sensors. Know what I mean?

Personally, I'm fine with this. Moving around every three years keeps things fresh and makes me hate my job less.

turbosmitty
06-03-2011, 05:22 AM
I hope to be stuck at my next base for a while.

IH8EngMTX
06-03-2011, 01:39 PM
I echo that sentiment smitty. I loath moving every couple years. I have been fortunate to be at Hurlburt for the last 6 years but then again, AFSOC loves to hold on to people once they are there. I know MSgts and SMSgts who have been at Hurlburt their whoe career, even going to Korea didn't get them out, they just got sent back.

rips
06-03-2011, 02:42 PM
were do you work on hurlburt?

turbosmitty
06-03-2011, 05:45 PM
I echo that sentiment smitty. I loath moving every couple years. I have been fortunate to be at Hurlburt for the last 6 years but then again, AFSOC loves to hold on to people once they are there. I know MSgts and SMSgts who have been at Hurlburt their whoe career, even going to Korea didn't get them out, they just got sent back.

Better to be stuck at Hurlburt than Cannon. SF86 would be easy to fill out for them. I've been to several bases and at each of those assignments I've lived in at least two different houses. Definitely not an easy task to remember an address from 10 years ago.

IH8EngMTX
06-03-2011, 06:03 PM
were do you work on hurlburt?

CMS. Why do you ask?

Jumper5
06-03-2011, 07:02 PM
Yes Creech is a pit. Currently TDY here for a second time. Been here for 2 days and ready to head home. Vegas is cool and all but for a married person with kids, its a better place to visit than live. At least in my opinion. I wanted to drive my car into the side of a mountain on that drive. I don't mind driving an hour or so to go some where special once in awhile such as the case is at Whiteman. But doing that every day? Hell no. Especially at the gas prices are.

You and I are eye to eye on this. Creech is crap.

lphill01
06-04-2011, 03:42 AM
Slyflyfox- did you have to go through a psych eval at AFC? All our 1U's got tagged for it tomorrow.

Slyflyfox
06-04-2011, 03:57 AM
Slyflyfox- did you have to go through a psych eval at AFC? All our 1U's got tagged for it tomorrow.

I was supposed to go through it last Saturday, (I guess it's usually done the first Saturday after you arrive there) but the medical/testing personnel decided not to show up. All 1U candidates (priors and non) showed up early too. We all ended up going home after we had waited around an extra half hour, and had also inquired further about the no show at a nearby med clinic. If you do end up getting to experience it, it's just a test for some group/entity to gather information. It does not directly affect your grades in the pipeline whatsoever.

EyesINtheSky
06-04-2011, 04:20 AM

hahahaha have fun with the psych eval!!! our class had to do one our first week in Texas. All I have to say about it is that it is NOT a pass or fail type of eval. I can almost guarantee that you will leave the building depressed because you will think you probably failed. Lol dont worry about it though.

shotdown
06-04-2011, 07:10 AM
You guys are talking about the TBAS and the psych questions. They are trying to use that to determine how to "better" select 1U candidates.

JetMech
06-04-2011, 11:52 AM
So i've read a lot of posts on here but here's a question. I"m a ETP NCO on my second term with an extension. Has anyone got picked up with this set up? It's been 60 days since i went code 3, which i know is't long for some. Just wondering if there is hope of getting selected or not. There are 8 Tech positions right now and they are not moving. is it worth it to contact AFPC and bug them about it??? I wouldn't think there are many Tech's out there trying to cross train that are still FTA.

EyesINtheSky
06-04-2011, 03:02 PM
It cant hurt to contact AFPC. Worst they can say is "I dont know" right? I got picked up in a different situation though so I cant help you out there.

afcopholtz
06-04-2011, 03:03 PM
So i've read a lot of posts on here but here's a question. I"m a ETP NCO on my second term with an extension. Has anyone got picked up with this set up? It's been 60 days since i went code 3, which i know is't long for some. Just wondering if there is hope of getting selected or not. There are 8 Tech positions right now and they are not moving. is it worth it to contact AFPC and bug them about it??? I wouldn't think there are many Tech's out there trying to cross train that are still FTA.

So far I think 2 of the guys on here that are ETP NCO's got picked up, 1 of which is NOT my husband and we are about to hit 180 days after he hit status 3....oh we are also due to PCS in 10 days from overseas! Wouldn't it be our luck to get accepted next week when TMO is packing us out! Honestly I wouldn't mind one bit.

As for calling AFPC...it really didn't do us any good

AeroNut
06-04-2011, 03:54 PM
You guys are talking about the TBAS and the psych questions. They are trying to use that to determine how to "better" select 1U candidates.

The TBAS, while kinda fun, is a joke. I took it when I was compiling my OTS package a while back (board got scrapped) and got a perfect PCSM score. When I left I felt like I totally bombed it. If my pathetic attempt at it was 99-worthy, anybody should be able to ace it.

lphill01
06-04-2011, 04:28 PM
Got a confirmed kill on the TBAS!! Killed a spider on the desk halfway through the test.

turbosmitty
06-04-2011, 05:29 PM

There were 3 SSgt and 1 TSgt slot that was spoken for last week. As for having an extension to go along with your enlistment; that shouldn't be a deciding factor. I know how your feel; I was very anxious and frustrated for the first 120 days. After that I just stopped worrying about it. I knew it would probably happen...just didn't know when. I wouldn't worry about how many slots are this year. 2012 slots will be released sometime in July. Keep your head up.

JetMech
06-04-2011, 07:24 PM
Thanks smitty,

i got a reply back from AFPC and the said my stuff is still at Air Staff. Here's what they said

As a Career Airman, you do not meet any QRP boards. All Career Airman requests are handled on a first come, first serve basis, if all requirements are met. Once a decision is made on your ETP by Air Staff then AFPC Retraining can process your application, if approved by Air Staff. Your application is still pending a decision by Air Staff as of 5 Apr 11.

It is fustrating because it takes so much work to even be considered and then you just wait some more. Plus i'm deployed right now and it would be such nice end to this deployment. I'll just keep pluggin. Might suck when i get back though because i'll have to re-up for this career field but it is what it is.

There were 3 SSgt and 1 TSgt slot that was spoken for last week. As for having an extension to go along with your enlistment; that shouldn't be a deciding factor. I know how your feel; I was very anxious and frustrated for the first 120 days. After that I just stopped worrying about it. I knew it would probably happen...just didn't know when. I wouldn't worry about how many slots are this year. 2012 slots will be released sometime in July. Keep your head up.

turbosmitty
06-04-2011, 07:39 PM
Thanks smitty,

i got a reply back from AFPC and the said my stuff is still at Air Staff. Here's what they said

As a Career Airman, you do not meet any QRP boards. All Career Airman requests are handled on a first come, first serve basis, if all requirements are met. Once a decision is made on your ETP by Air Staff then AFPC Retraining can process your application, if approved by Air Staff. Your application is still pending a decision by Air Staff as of 5 Apr 11.

It is fustrating because it takes so much work to even be considered and then you just wait some more. Plus i'm deployed right now and it would be such nice end to this deployment. I'll just keep pluggin. Might suck when i get back though because i'll have to re-up for this career field but it is what it is.

I was stuck re-enlisting in my career field 3 months prior to being approved. Yeah it does suck to miss out on the 90K bonus. I quickly got over it; as I realize this is a career move for me. I would have forfeited the bonus to guarantee a slot for retraining. This is what I plan on doing when I retire. From what I hear SO's get paid good on the outside. So it will pay off in the long run.

turbosmitty
06-04-2011, 07:50 PM
Just some food for thought....My AFSC is 2A3X3 (crew chief). Air Staff earlier this year decided to take 300 SrA and SSgt's and force them to retrain from fighters to heavies. I thought there was no way I would be getting picked up for 1U once the mandatory retraining list dropped. Luckily I wasn't on the list...but that didn't mean they wouldn't add me at a later time. There were a lot of Crew Chiefs that had to request a waiver due to being deployed or that their squadron was already undermanned and couldn't afford to lose anyone else. Air Staff even said they had stop accepting 2A3X3 ETP packages. Well I remained at status 3 the whole time and few months later was disapproved because there were no more 1U slots available. Well the very next day they added more slots and AFPC automatically reactivated my package. So hang in there...sooner or later you will get picked as they need people. The faster they get people through class...the faster they can get new classes filled.

lphill01
06-05-2011, 04:15 AM
Anyone know any details on the grad ceremony for BSOC, like how many people are allowed to come, or how to get them on Randolph? I got family in Houston plotting, and I want my wife and mom to come down from MO. I know it's early, but it takes time for everyone to get time off and what not.

IH8EngMTX
06-05-2011, 03:44 PM
Anyone know any details on the grad ceremony for BSOC, like how many people are allowed to come, or how to get them on Randolph? I got family in Houston plotting, and I want my wife and mom to come down from MO. I know it's early, but it takes time for everyone to get time off and what not.

You can bring whoever you want. I recommend getting them billeting on base the day before, especially if your graduation is on a Monday. That way you can get them through the gate with a visitor's pass and hang out with them that night. Ask the instructors on your first day of class any detail you need.

AeroNut
06-05-2011, 05:40 PM

If it's anything like the graduation from my original tech school, it's not worth having anyone come watch.

EyesINtheSky
06-05-2011, 05:51 PM
If it's anything like the graduation from my original tech school, it's not worth having anyone come watch.

I would have to disagree with you here...Getting your aircrew wings is very much a big deal, and I wish I could've had more people come to mine.

AeroNut
06-05-2011, 06:07 PM
I would have to disagree with you here...Getting your aircrew wings is very much a big deal, and I wish I could've had more people come to mine.

Well my original school was for MX, so that's likey why it wasn't a big deal at all.

I didn't think about the fact that you're receiving wings. Assuming everything goes well and I get picked up at the QRP board, I'm sure I'll be very excited to know that I'm a part of the career field once I graduate. Still, after college graduations and my E-5 promotion ceremony, I doubt I'll be inviting anyone to come watch. I'm not knocking anyone else who is viewing this is a very major event, it's just that I only view it as a tech school graduation. It's probably all that MX mentality :D

Barberakb
06-05-2011, 06:17 PM
Some people find it very important and some don't. I wouldn't tell anyone else not to have family come down and support it but I didn't. It just wasn't a big deal to me. But I can see how it could be to some. Good luck.

EyesINtheSky
06-05-2011, 06:32 PM
Well my original school was for MX, so that's likey why it wasn't a big deal at all.

I didn't think about the fact that you're receiving wings. Assuming everything goes well and I get picked up at the QRP board, I'm sure I'll be very excited to know that I'm a part of the career field once I graduate. Still, after college graduations and my E-5 promotion ceremony, I doubt I'll be inviting anyone to come watch. I'm not knocking anyone else who is viewing this is a very major event, it's just that I only view it as a tech school graduation. It's probably all that MX mentality :D

I can see why you think that, I was originally a Sheetmetal troop, and my first tech school was pretty lame. This one was a big deal though. I had my wife come to mine and wish I was able to afford my kids to come as well, but I couldnt.

Good luck with getting picked up, Im sure you will, the AFSC is exploding like a bomb right now, and its just taking so long because they are very backed up as it is in the school houses. Just be possitive and be patient.

lphill01
06-05-2011, 07:14 PM
My original one was too. But the emphesis is that I'm getting my wings, and not another occupational badge.

turbosmitty
06-05-2011, 07:40 PM
My original one was too. But the emphesis is that I'm getting my wings, and not another occupational badge.

Agreed...this is a big deal for me too. Crossing over from MX to Aircrew is a huge milestone for me.

EyesINtheSky
06-05-2011, 09:52 PM
Its a huge milestone for a lot of us. I know Slyflyfox will definitely be pumped to get his wings in a short 6 weeks!! Good luck brotherman!!

Slyflyfox
06-05-2011, 10:36 PM
Its a huge milestone for a lot of us. I know Slyflyfox will definitely be pumped to get his wings in a short 6 weeks!! Good luck brotherman!!

Thanks man! Nice sig with the laser! All this downtime is killing me lol! I'm keeping busy but I just wanna go go go! 1/2 day Tuesday, off Wed & Thurs, BS first day of class Friday... off Sat & Sun lol! 4.5 days off, 1.5 days of class... not even any testable material in there. Happier than a clam to be here though! Also, 1,000,000% better than Minot! Wish I was hanging out in Vegas with you all today man! Wings are coming, slowly but surely. I'm Praying for Creech daily. My wife will kill me if we go from 5+ years at Minot to Cannon... she/we doesn't deserve it lol! I'll go where they put me obviously, but I still don't want it! Pray, pray, pray...

EyesINtheSky
06-05-2011, 10:49 PM
Holy shit thats a lot of down time!!! You will be balls to the wall busy when you actually get study material. Your nose will be deep in the books for the next 6 weeks.

Slyflyfox
06-05-2011, 11:33 PM
I forgot to add Memorial Day to that total! 5.5 days of downtime 1.5 days of BS non-testable class!

blueroomer
06-06-2011, 12:21 AM
My FTU starts on the 27th of June and I don't have my TDY orders yet. I was supposed to go to Holloman for FTU and then back to my home base to PCS but now I'm being told that I'm going to TDY enroute. Thats fine with me but I'm still waiting on my orders. Anyone else in this kind of situation? Also, where the hell are we supposed to go when we get to Holloman? I'm getting MQ-1 by the way.

IH8EngMTX
06-06-2011, 02:03 AM
My training manager told me I would have to create my own orders in DTS for my FTU. I have no idea if this is true or how to do it.

blueroomer
06-06-2011, 03:11 AM
Actually that kinda makes sense. My training manager also said I would have to use DTS but he didn't say anything about making my own orders. Can I pick my own per diem rate too? Seriously though, I've used DTS before. It's not very user-friendly but you get used to it. I'll let you know what I figure out this week.

curtst
06-06-2011, 03:34 AM
My training manager told me I would have to create my own orders in DTS for my FTU. I have no idea if this is true or how to do it.

Actually that kinda makes sense. My training manager also said I would have to use DTS but he didn't say anything about making my own orders. Can I pick my own per diem rate too? Seriously though, I've used DTS before. It's not very user-friendly but you get used to it. I'll let you know what I figure out this week.

Yes, you will have to make your own orders in DTS. It is actually fairly easy to use, you should have a DTS POC in your squadron, they can help. You can pick your own per diem rates, well sort of. You will probably be on base so, I would expect the per diem for lodging to be whatever the room costs (probably around $34.75 or so), and then partial food per diem for the Holloman area (looks like that will be about $31 a day). Just make sure you set your per diem rates correctly, because if you are over paid, they will take their money back!

http://www.defensetravel.dod.mil/site/perdiemCalc.cfm

AeroNut
06-06-2011, 06:11 AM

You work engine MX and don't know how to use DTS? Ask one of the crew chiefs in your losing SQ... I'm sure one of them knows how.

rodney120985
06-06-2011, 06:22 AM
My wife will kill me if we go from 5+ years at Minot to Cannon... she/we doesn't deserve it lol! I'll go where they put me obviously, but I still don't want it! Pray, pray, pray...

I feel your pain all to well, I think my wife would almost kill me if I got orders to Cannon after tryin far to long to get out of Minot!

rips
06-06-2011, 01:36 PM
what is the course after the new BSOC 2.0... and ive heard people going back to there home unit after grad. of BSOC can anyone confirm or deny if so how long did u wait???

IH8EngMTX
06-06-2011, 03:13 PM
You work engine MX and don't know how to use DTS? Ask one of the crew chiefs in your losing SQ... I'm sure one of them knows how.

I work(ed) backshop now. DTS started becoming mandatory around the time I left the flightline and went to backshop. I haven't been on any TDY's since then other than 7-lvl school and a deployment, neither of which I had to use DTS.

shotdown
06-06-2011, 03:34 PM
what is the course after the new BSOC 2.0... and ive heard people going back to there home unit after grad. of BSOC can anyone confirm or deny if so how long did u wait???

Yes. FTU for most people are about 3 months out. I'm suppose to be going to March ARB for FTU. I graduate 22 Jun and I'm suppose to be there by 28 Jun.

rips
06-06-2011, 04:25 PM
so your saying your back at your orginal base waiting to go to FTU? and its been around 3 months?

shotdown
06-06-2011, 05:30 PM
so your saying your back at your orginal base waiting to go to FTU? and its been around 3 months?

No, I'm still in BSOC but most of us got assignments and FTU dates. I just got told my FTU is at March.

rips
06-06-2011, 07:15 PM
No, I'm still in BSOC but most of us got assignments and FTU dates. I just got told my FTU is at March.

o haha i thought you meant it was in march...

IH8EngMTX
06-06-2011, 07:28 PM
I graduated RFC in mid May and don't start FTU til August. I'm burning 42 days of leave currently and will go back to my unit in July for about a week to have my "going away" and outprocess.

rips
06-06-2011, 07:57 PM
RFC is now gone though right? with the new BSOC 2.0? or what??? so confused! all i have course dates for is ACF and BSOC

shotdown
06-06-2011, 09:18 PM
RFC is now gone though right? with the new BSOC 2.0? or what??? so confused! all i have course dates for is ACF and BSOC

Yes, RFC no longer exists. BSOC 2.0 is now 6 weeks.

AeroNut
06-06-2011, 10:20 PM
I'm suppose to be going to March ARB for FTU.

I don't know why, but I was under the impression that only reservists would attend FTU at March ARB. Are there quite a few people getting FTU orders to March? I'm from the immediate area so it would be just one more incentive throughout the retraining process if I got to go to FTU back home.

EyesINtheSky
06-06-2011, 11:49 PM
Everyone is different when it comes to FTU and when you will out process your losing unit. Since I was already stationed at Nellis, and got orders to Creech, I was allowed to out process my Unit before I leave for FTU (22 Aug). So I get the privilege of sitting as a casual at the 432d wing until I leave for FTU. Im pretty sure I got to do this because I didnt have to PCS, since Creech is still apart of Las Vegas.

redd
06-07-2011, 03:55 AM
FTU @ March is amazing. I'm AD and I got the opportunity to attend. fantastic instructors there.....

afcopholtz
06-07-2011, 08:21 AM
I feel your pain all to well, I think my wife would almost kill me if I got orders to Cannon after tryin far to long to get out of Minot!
I would love to be going to Cannon over Minot -- 8 days til we leave the UK and Hubby is still status 3! Grrrrrr...

curtst
06-07-2011, 11:47 AM

I have been an engine troop for almost 7 years before I finally retrained. Never touched DTS. Of course I have only been on one TDY and a single 'deployment' that I had to beg for. Funny I have been on more TDYs since becoming a 1U than I have in 7 years of being a 2A6x1. I thought it would be have been less.

shotdown
06-07-2011, 12:03 PM
I don't know why, but I was under the impression that only reservists would attend FTU at March ARB. Are there quite a few people getting FTU orders to March? I'm from the immediate area so it would be just one more incentive throughout the retraining process if I got to go to FTU back home.
Not anymore. Since Creech doesn't have an FTU, they are picking up the training.

I have been an engine troop for almost 7 years before I finally retrained. Never touched DTS. Of course I have only been on one TDY and a single 'deployment' that I had to beg for. Funny I have been on more TDYs since becoming a 1U than I have in 7 years of being a 2A6x1. I thought it would be have been less.
Engine troop myself and I've never touched DTS either. I will today tough.

Clark1234
06-07-2011, 02:04 PM
Hello! I'm a first time poster to this thread, and I've read it pretty much through to help me understand a lot of information that i wasn't able to find anywhere else. I was just hoping that i could find some help here since it seems that everyone here knows what to expect from first hand experience. I'm in a rather peculiar situation compared to everyone else. I'm at Grand Forks AFB and have been working as an Air Traffic Controller. Unfortunately I have been disqualified from my AFSC for failure to progress in my training and my current AFSC is 9Axxx. The plus side to this is that I have been given the opportunity to retrain into the SO career field and am very excited, but still nervous about it due to my situation. My question is, would this effect my opportunity to retrain as an SO? I've already been gathering all the paperwork (I'm still waiting on the 422 & 1042, I'll probably be recieving it this week). Then I submit it to AFPC. What is the process that my package goes through once it is recieved by APFC? I know it goes through multiple boards, but what do they actually look at for each board, and how do you know when it gets approved and your level changes (i.e. 3 to 6 i believe)? Do you recieve an email, or will you find it on the website where you submitted all of your paperwork? Any information will be more than helpful for me because I'm really hoping to get this job. I know they have 68 FTA to fill for the new fiscal year of 2012 (which I assume i fall into that category even though I'm a 9A) so I hope that I can fill one of those spots. Thanks!

IH8EngMTX
06-07-2011, 02:37 PM
Clark:

I'm not sure if you were retraining under CAREERS as an FTA or NCORP, but I've seen statements similar to this before. If you were retraining under the NCORP, I have yet to find a "rack-and-stack" criteria listed anywhere. If retraining under CAREERS as an FTA, the criteria is:

4.1.3.2. Uses the following criteria to rank the applications: Most recent EPR; current grade; projected
grade; next three EPRs; Date of Rank (DOR); Total Active Federal Military Service Date
(TAFMSD); AQE score in the applicable area (electrical, mechanical, administrative, or general);

I've seen a lot of posts from First Term Airmen referring to "a good package," and I'm just curious if these people have read this part of AFI 2626. Being 4 months away from DOS could very well be a factor if you were applying under NCORP, but the only thing it should affect under CAREERS is your DOR and TAFMSD which are both a little ways down the criteria list.

You will recieve and email and it will be updated under MyStuff on the vMPF.

3 - Application Submitted
4 - If you see this you are not approved.
5 - Retraining Approved, awaiting class dates.
6 - Approved and class dates/training rip sent.

Clark1234
06-07-2011, 03:13 PM
I'm assuming that I'm retraining under NCORP, since the only paperwork that I need to submit is a 422, 1042, typing test, and flying duty letter (correct me if I'm wrong). Anyways......What do they actually look at during the boards? Is it a first come first serve basis to get the job, and will my 9A status play a part in not being allowed to get the job?

turbosmitty
06-07-2011, 03:20 PM
I'm assuming that I'm retraining under NCORP, since the only paperwork that I need to submit is a 422, 1042, typing test, and flying duty letter (correct me if I'm wrong). Anyways......What do they actually look at during the boards? Is it a first come first serve basis to get the job, and will my 9A status play a part in not being allowed to get the job?

double post..................

turbosmitty
06-07-2011, 03:20 PM

If you're on your first enlistment then you're considered FTA. If you have reenlisted...you're considered NCORP. NCORP is first come first serve basis. FTA has to go through monthly boards. Not sure about being a 9A...I think you're the first on this thread.

Clark1234
06-07-2011, 03:28 PM
Ok thanks for the info!, just curious though.......what are they actually looking at during the monthly boards?

turbosmitty
06-07-2011, 03:49 PM
Ok thanks for the info!, just curious though.......what are they actually looking at during the monthly boards?

EPRS, TIG, TIS..etc.

turbosmitty
06-07-2011, 03:50 PM

EPRS, TIG, TIS..etc.

IH8EngMTX
06-07-2011, 04:54 PM

sigh, Reading Comprehension skills activate!

AeroNut
06-07-2011, 05:03 PM

I laughed all real like 'n such.

As far as the DTS thing goes I suppose it would all come down to the airframe. Between START, Coronet, MRT, and out-and-back missions, we're guaranteed to get some experience with DTS on the KC-135.

If you can discuss them, what types of TDYs have you had the opportunity to go on as a 1U?

Clark1234
06-07-2011, 05:23 PM

Wow, I'm dumb....okay that clears a lot of things up for me. Hopefully my 9A status wont effect anything, which according to the AFI it shouldn't play a factor (but who knows). I'm sewing on SrA on July 13th, so I'm not sure if that will play a beneficial role during the boards as well as being in for 2 and a half years, but we will see! Hopefully I can get my 422 and 1042 this week or the beginning of next week so i can get this long journey moving ASAP.

Wish me luck! and thanks for the help!

AeroNut
06-07-2011, 05:29 PM
Wow, I'm dumb....okay that clears a lot of things up for me. Hopefully my 9A status wont effect anything, which according to the AFI it shouldn't play a factor (but who knows). I'm sewing on SrA on July 13th, so I'm not sure if that will play a beneficial role during the boards as well as being in for 2 and a half years, but we will see! Hopefully I can get my 422 and 1042 this week or the beginning of next week so i can get this long journey moving ASAP.

Wish me luck! and thanks for the help!

If you have the choice, I would wait until after you sew on SrA before you apply. This would at least put you above the 4-year enlistment A1Cs that are attempting to retrain early. Also, how are your EPRs? Forgive me but I have to conclude they may be less than 5s if you're being retrained for failure to progress in your current career field. Low-score EPRs could really hurt you in the QRP board.

Clark1234
06-07-2011, 05:33 PM
If you have the choice, I would wait until after you sew on SrA before you apply. This would at least put you above the 4-year enlistment A1Cs that are attempting to retrain early. Also, how are your EPRs? Forgive me but I have to conclude they may be less than 5s if you're being retrained for failure to progress in your current career field. Low-score EPRs could really hurt you in the QRP board.

Unfortunately I dont really have much of an option, I have to submit my paperwork to AFPC by the 30th this month. Maybe they will just see that I'm sewing on in July and let that fly.....idk! As for EPRs My last 2 have been 5s so that should help me out somewhat........what do you think?

AeroNut
06-07-2011, 05:43 PM
I spoke with AFPC about the QRP board dates yesterday...
The next board will meet on the first duty day of July. To meet this board, you have to have your application in by the last duty day of June (which means processed through your SQ/CC and everything).

As I understand it, the QRP board is mostly just a computer controlled process. You will be meeting 3 boards, so even if you aren't a SrA at the first board, you should be recognized as a SrA at the 2nd and 3rd boards.

As far as your chances.. I'm sure you have a chance since there are so many applicants needed. Still, there are a lot of First Term Airmen who will have more TIG/TIS than you. All you can do is apply. If you don't apply then you definitely know the answer... which is no.

Clark1234
06-07-2011, 06:11 PM
I spoke with AFPC about the QRP board dates yesterday...
The next board will meet on the first duty day of July. To meet this board, you have to have your application in by the last duty day of June (which means processed through your SQ/CC and everything).

As I understand it, the QRP board is mostly just a computer controlled process. You will be meeting 3 boards, so even if you aren't a SrA at the first board, you should be recognized as a SrA at the 2nd and 3rd boards.

As far as your chances.. I'm sure you have a chance since there are so many applicants needed. Still, there are a lot of First Term Airmen who will have more TIG/TIS than you. All you can do is apply. If you don't apply then you definitely know the answer... which is no.

Well that definetely boots my confidence some! I'm definetely applying no matter what, it's worth a try! Additionally I'm sure with 68 quotas needed for 2012, i can fill in one of those spots (at least to get me through the 1st board, so after I can be a little more appealing to the 2nd and 3rd boards with SrA on). We will see what happens.

Thanks again for all your help. I haven't gotten this kind of information from anyone (AFPC and the MPF included, as well as my retraining advisor). And even though I'm staying positive through this nervous journey, if I dont get it i can always wait until my retraining window opens in December 2013 and apply again. Does the QRP board meet the first duty day of each month? and how many quotas do they need to fill for each board?

shotdown
06-07-2011, 06:26 PM
I have an Airman in my class that didn't get certified in ATC either. He got picked up as a 1U.

AeroNut
06-07-2011, 08:52 PM
Thanks again for all your help. I haven't gotten this kind of information from anyone (AFPC and the MPF included, as well as my retraining advisor).

Read AFI 36-2626. Part of getting information is knowing what questions to ask. It's hard to know that until you're already in the middle of the process, though.

And even though I'm staying positive through this nervous journey, if I dont get it i can always wait until my retraining window opens in December 2013 and apply again.

Incorrect. By retraining early you are using your ONE AND ONLY CAREERS retraining option. If you don't get picked up at one of these three boards, you will NOT be able to retrain under the CAREERS program in your normal retraining window. This is the TYPICAL scenario anyway. I'm not sure how things work when you are retraining due to your circumstances. I would definitely find out for sure from some authoritative entity whether or not this 1U0X1 retraining application you are about to submit is going to use your one CAREERS (FTA) retraining opportunity. If it is, your "retraining window" will no longer exist as you would only be able to retrain under NCORP.

Does the QRP board meet the first duty day of each month? and how many quotas do they need to fill for each board?

Based on the conversation I had yesterday with AFPC, it would seem so. I've heard numerous stories, to include the third week of the month and the last duty day of the month. AFPC told me and then confirmed that it was the first duty day of the month.

As far as the quotas for each board go... there's no exact science to it that we can give you an answer for. It started out as 82, then went to 76, and now it's 68 (IIRC). So it seems like it's going at about the 6-8 per month rate.

EDIT: Just checked. It's now at 61. So it seems like the 6-8/month guess is pretty on point.

Clark1234
06-07-2011, 08:53 PM
I have an Airman in my class that didn't get certified in ATC either. He got picked up as a 1U.

Oh wow, thats a big boost of confidence for me!!! Honestly it crossed my mind a few times that i could be the only person in this situation but luckily I'm not. That makes me feel much better.

Hopefully the Med Group will call to get a hold of me tomorrow, otherwise I have to bug them about my 422 and 1042. Does anyone know what the Ground Physical actually consists of? I can't remember if I found any actual good information about what to expect once I have an appointment for it.

AeroNut
06-07-2011, 09:00 PM
Oh wow, thats a big boost of confidence for me!!! Honestly it crossed my mind a few times that i could be the only person in this situation but luckily I'm not. That makes me feel much better.

Hopefully the Med Group will call to get a hold of me tomorrow, otherwise I have to bug them about my 422 and 1042. Does anyone know what the Ground Physical actually consists of? I can't remember if I found any actual good information about what to expect once I have an appointment for it.

I thought ATC had to go through the GBAC physical?

Anyway..

AFI 48-123 Paragraph 6.46.

It's a lot of crap. Go back a few pages and I discussed a little bit about it. If you already have a GBAC though it shouldn't be a big deal. If you have to accomplish a fresh GBAC physical, expect about 45 days or so for processing, assuming everything goes well.

Barberakb
06-07-2011, 10:52 PM

Yea well, I feel your pain just a little more. I'm coming from Shaw AFB and guess where I get to go now. Yep, Cannon. For such a so called important job we sure have a bunch of crappy bases to go to.

Barberakb
06-07-2011, 10:54 PM
Yes, RFC no longer exists. BSOC 2.0 is now 6 weeks.

I dissaprove of this comment since I am in RFC right now!

AeroNut
06-07-2011, 10:59 PM
I dissaprove of this comment since I am in RFC right now!

Are you just one of the lucky few that is amongst the last classes that have to go through it?

IH8EngMTX
06-07-2011, 11:00 PM
Barbara I am sorry to hear that you got Cannon. It should be reserved for all non-priors in order to weed the weak out of the AF. Any that choose to stay in after a tour there are the kind of airmen we want in the AF.

Barberakb
06-07-2011, 11:04 PM
Are you just one of the lucky few that is amongst the last classes that have to go through it?

That is correct. 2 more tests.

Thanks IH8EngMTX, I tried. Creech was my first choice and Whiteman was second. Didn't even have Cannon on my real dreamsheet. O well, what can you do.

AeroNut
06-07-2011, 11:07 PM
Barbara I am sorry to hear that you got Cannon. It should be reserved for all non-priors in order to weed the weak out of the AF. Any that choose to stay in after a tour there are the kind of airmen we want in the AF.

Thanks IH8EngMTX, I tried. Creech was my first choice and Whiteman was second. Didn't even have Cannon on my real dreamsheet. O well, what can you do.

I'll take Cannon. If it's not maintenance I don't care where I am.

Plus I'm from a little town in southern California that was originally known for the fact that it smells like cow crap.

For me cow crap=home, so I guess it would be a nice smelly nostalgia.

shotdown
06-08-2011, 01:57 AM

We had two guys put Cannon on their sheet and they got Creech. Sucks.

curtst
06-08-2011, 03:27 AM
Any base is what you make of it. The best base is always the one you are heading to or coming from, it is never the one you are at. I am currently at Nellis, I hate this base and can't wait to get back to Whiteman.

Clark1234
06-08-2011, 12:41 PM
I thought ATC had to go through the GBAC physical?

Anyway..

AFI 48-123 Paragraph 6.46.

It's a lot of crap. Go back a few pages and I discussed a little bit about it. If you already have a GBAC though it shouldn't be a big deal. If you have to accomplish a fresh GBAC physical, expect about 45 days or so for processing, assuming everything goes well.

ATC does have a flight physical......whether it's the same thing as a GBAC I have no clue. Once you're disqualified from your job that requires flying status though you lost your 1042. So I'm just gonna assume that your GBAC is the same as a flght physical.

Anyways I have to call Med Group today once they open for the status of my 422....hopefully they already made my appointment for my GBAC so I dont have to bug Flight Med about the physical.....wish me luck!

rips
06-08-2011, 01:55 PM
cant you guys just swap orders? i mean if one guy wants creech and other wants holloman why not swap?

EyesINtheSky
06-08-2011, 04:21 PM
I'll take Cannon. If it's not maintenance I don't care where I am.

Well said!!!!

shotdown
06-08-2011, 04:38 PM
cant you guys just swap orders? i mean if one guy wants creech and other wants holloman why not swap?
Nope. They told us no swapping orders.

AeroNut
06-08-2011, 04:51 PM
Nope. They told us no swapping orders.

That sucks! I was gonna pay some E-2 $200 for Creech orders if I didn't get them.

Did they give you any reasoning behind this? My assumption would be that with the large number of retrainees they are probably trying to have certain ranks go to certain locations and swapping would screw that up.

Slyflyfox
06-08-2011, 05:03 PM
That sucks! I was gonna pay some E-2 $200 for Creech orders if I didn't get them.

Did they give you any reasoning behind this? My assumption would be that with the large number of retrainees they are probably trying to have certain ranks go to certain locations and swapping would screw that up.

Believe me we all wanted to do the same thing. The bidding was up in the Thousands though lol. (Everyone trying to bid with that bonus before they even got it! to get the base they want) Last week they told us the reason is because once you are matched up to a class seat there's a estimated $100,000 paid by either ACC or AFSOC MAJCOM for that FTU seat. So they won't change it because of the cost/high priority, or something to that affect, you are basically linked by name and plugged into that seat. They also stated that if ACC is the only one who bought FTU Seats for this class, we're likely all going to be going to Creech/Whiteman (ACC) Same thing for Cannon, if AFSOC buys seats, expect Cannon (AFSOC). Most of the time it seems like Creech gets like 80% Like 2 will go to Cannon and a Whiteman selection here or there.

As for FTU, March is giving away some AD seats as Shotdown is heading there for his FTU to help the backfill of trainee's and I guess when there are lower amounts of Guard/Reserve in the pipeline.

As far as history, I'd imagine that because Creech has the most Squadrons, that ACC will still buy the most seats to combat their losses in the ranks.

rips
06-08-2011, 06:22 PM
well shit.... that just ruined my whole plan for ensuring i get to creech haha, o well!

IH8EngMTX
06-08-2011, 07:01 PM
Hey Barbara and EyesInTheSky, did you guys have any contenders in RFC for the Bigg'z challenge following Camp Bullis? Just curious. We only had one guy.

shotdown
06-08-2011, 09:23 PM
Hey Barbara and EyesInTheSky, did you guys have any contenders in RFC for the Bigg'z challenge following Camp Bullis? Just curious. We only had one guy.

No one in our class took that challenge. Shoot, I bought a double and that was a challenge alone.

BSOC is now doing the Camp Bullis trips.

Barberakb
06-08-2011, 09:26 PM
We had two guys put Cannon on their sheet and they got Creech. Sucks.

They probably just throw away those dream sheets without even looking at them.

Barberakb
06-08-2011, 09:30 PM

We do camp Bullis next Friday.

lphill01
06-08-2011, 09:32 PM
Camp Bullis trips? Why?

shotdown
06-08-2011, 10:21 PM
Camp Bullis trips? Why?

They do them so that we understand what the guys on the ground are doing and how we help in supporting them.

rips
06-09-2011, 12:57 AM
not everyone has to do that right?

shotdown
06-09-2011, 01:06 AM

Yes, the whole class goes.

AeroNut
06-09-2011, 05:17 AM

You don't sound very enthusiastic. I think it sounds like fun myself.

I had a friend go down and fill a TDY billet as a medical instructor at Camp Bullis. The instructor staff had to go through the training themselves before they could instruct in their specific specialties, and she really loved it.

turbosmitty
06-09-2011, 05:42 AM
No one in our class took that challenge. Shoot, I bought a double and that was a challenge alone.

BSOC is now doing the Camp Bullis trips.

What is the Bigg'z challenge?

rips
06-09-2011, 11:23 AM
You don't sound very enthusiastic. I think it sounds like fun myself.

I had a friend go down and fill a TDY billet as a medical instructor at Camp Bullis. The instructor staff had to go through the training themselves before they could instruct in their specific specialties, and she really loved it.

only reason being ive worked with PJ's Tacp's CCT SOWT's army SF for the last 5 years ><

IH8EngMTX
06-09-2011, 01:11 PM
What is the Bigg'z challenge?

Bigg'z is a burger place in North SA. The instructor challenge is to eat a huge hamburger, large fry, large milkshake, and another smaller burger in one hour without throwing up. If you do it the instructors pay for your meal.

The challenge originated last year back when RFC actually had more than a few 2LT's in it. One of said Lieutenant's was a small, thin guy and appearently ordered the above food minus the small burger and ate it. The instructors told him there was no way he could eat another burger so of course he called their bluff and did so. Thus the challenge was born.

My classmate made it through everything but the last half of the fries before surrendering. He never puked on the way back to base but he sure looked miserable as hell. He had his burgers cooked less than medium too. I had to give him props on tht cause there is now way in hell I will eat ground beef less than well done, steak is different though.

rips
06-09-2011, 02:00 PM
Bigg'z is a burger place in North SA. The instructor challenge is to eat a huge hamburger, large fry, large milkshake, and another smaller burger in one hour without throwing up. If you do it the instructors pay for your meal.

The challenge originated last year back when RFC actually had more than a few 2LT's in it. One of said Lieutenant's was a small, thin guy and appearently ordered the above food minus the small burger and ate it. The instructors told him there was no way he could eat another burger so of course he called their bluff and did so. Thus the challenge was born.

My classmate made it through everything but the last half of the fries before surrendering. He never puked on the way back to base but he sure looked miserable as hell. He had his burgers cooked less than medium too. I had to give him props on tht cause there is now way in hell I will eat ground beef less than well done, steak is different though.

gawd i just threw up a little!

IH8EngMTX
06-09-2011, 06:45 PM
Oh I forgot. I know the burgers are a 1/2 lb. of meat each. The one for the challenge is a double (1 whole damn lb. of beef) plus the other half pound burger as well. Now I know you just threw up a little.

AeroNut
06-09-2011, 08:05 PM
Oh I forgot. I know the burgers are a 1/2 lb. of meat each. The one for the challenge is a double (1 whole damn lb. of beef) plus the other half pound burger as well. Now I know you just threw up a little.

Actually now I'm just really hungry...

Jumper5
06-09-2011, 10:52 PM
CCAF and RFC question - Do you have credits showing up on your transcript for RFC?

turbosmitty
06-09-2011, 11:08 PM

I hope you're exempt from PT that day.

bcarey
06-10-2011, 12:47 AM
Buddy of mine just got accepted for retraining. He's FTA and is starting December 8th. Leaving C-17 loadmaster, too. Pretty crazy that he got accepted, but I'm pretty happy for him.

AeroNut
06-10-2011, 12:51 AM
Buddy of mine just got accepted for retraining. He's FTA and is starting December 8th. Leaving C-17 loadmaster, too. Pretty crazy that he got accepted, but I'm pretty happy for him.

Thanks for the info. The last acceptance updates we got on here had people with October class dates, so I was kind of curious how far out class dates were for the current selectees.

bcarey
06-10-2011, 01:38 AM
No prob! Hopefully he gets Creech.

curtst
06-10-2011, 01:48 AM
No prob! Hopefully he gets Creech.

Don't ever wish that on anyone!

:-P

bcarey
06-10-2011, 04:44 AM
Haha, what base would you recommend? We all figured Creech was the best bet. Most of our friends that cross-trained like it there.

hugomk
06-10-2011, 05:23 AM
If you want a chance to go to different platform then Creech is the place to be.

lphill01
06-10-2011, 05:36 PM
As long as I don't get Cannon or Ellsworth, I'll be happy.

Clark1234
06-10-2011, 05:56 PM
Hey I just got all of my paper work together with the exception of my 422. The thing that I'm having the most trouble with getting is my GBAC with flight med. They said that I cant start any of it until i have gone through optomitry, and my appointment is on the 20th this month, but my paper work for my retraining needs to be in by the 30th. Do you think I will have enough time? My guess is no because the lab work I'm told can take up to 10 days ideally. Has anyone else experienced this at all when trying to retrain into this career? I was given 30 days from the time I'm given my paper work until I have to hand it all in with the right information on it, but it seems like it will take more than a month to get the medical documents all put together. Would it be possible for AFPC to give me an extension of my due date? any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Barberakb
06-10-2011, 08:57 PM

And what exactly are u gonna do if you do get one of those bases???

Maybe just try being happy wherever you go?

AeroNut
06-10-2011, 09:13 PM
They said that I cant start any of it until i have gone through optomitry, and my appointment is on the 20th this month, but my paper work for my retraining needs to be in by the 30th. Do you think I will have enough time?

Absolutely not. I did optometry last (28 APR) and my flight medicine just sent my paperwork to Air Staff today... so nearly a month in a half just waiting in paperwork processing before it even got sent off for approval. If you have to do the rest of your GBAC physical after optometry, I can't envision any possible way that you could make the cut off date. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Would it be possible for AFPC to give me an extension of my due date? any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Having never been in your situation, I wouldn't really know. I would hope that since you're actively pursuing retraining they might be willing to work with you somehow. Try calling AFPC and working with your chain of command.

You have about a 50% chance of disliking your location then. As long as I get accepted for 1U0, I'll be ecstatic!

bcarey
06-10-2011, 09:20 PM
I think Cannon is the big spot that is getting people right now.

Barberakb
06-11-2011, 12:13 AM
I wouldn't say that. Out of my class of 20, 1 person got cannon. Me! Dam the luck

rodney120985
06-11-2011, 02:06 AM

Man how I wish this was the case I know I would not want to go to Cannon!! But I guess if I get the job I would be happy either way anything to get out of maintance!

AeroNut
06-11-2011, 02:23 AM
Man how I wish this was the case I know I would not want to go to Cannon!! But I guess if I get the job I would be happy either way anything to get out of maintance!

Man it's starting to look more and more like the 1U0X1 career field is going to be nothing but a bunch of proactive maintainers. Here's to no more MX BS!

rodney120985
06-11-2011, 02:26 AM
Ok got my Optommetry stuff done Wed for the physical, I was told by my optometry here that I did not need my eyes dilated. Dont know if it is because I just had it done last year or what. Just waitin on public health to call me and let me know when my appt is with the flight med, they said it would be about a week!! Hoping that I can get everything done by the end of this month, so they can send everything off and get it back. Prob wishful thinking but I am hoping to make the Aug board!

rodney120985
06-11-2011, 02:26 AM
Man it's starting to look more and more like the 1U0X1 career field is going to be nothing but a bunch of proactive maintainers. Here's to no more MX BS!

I have noticed that as well!!! I will be glad when I dont have to put up with the MX BS anymore!

AeroNut
06-11-2011, 02:43 AM
I have noticed that as well!!! I will be glad when I dont have to put up with the MX BS anymore!

Well at least it should mean we'll be working with a bunch of folks who can take a joke and genuinely appreciate their new jobs.

lphill01
06-11-2011, 04:07 AM
Maybe just try being happy wherever you go?

I'll embrace the suck, and be the best SO I can be.

Slyflyfox
06-11-2011, 04:14 AM
I'll embrace the suck, and be the best SO I can be.

Same here, I'll find out my fate in a few days. I'd hope I wouldn't have to go straight to Cannon after this horribly long stint in Minot, but it may just be in the cards. I am more than happy enough to have this opportunity to leave this AFSC/Base and start this awesome career.

rodney120985
06-12-2011, 02:05 AM
Same here, I'll find out my fate in a few days. I'd hope I wouldn't have to go straight to Cannon after this horribly long stint in Minot, but it may just be in the cards. I am more than happy enough to have this opportunity to leave this AFSC/Base and start this awesome career.

I feel your pain Sly, but as you said I will be happy to get out of this AFSC and happier beyond belief to leave Minot!!

hugomk
06-12-2011, 02:17 AM
No matter what base you go to, job satisfaction for this job is way up there.

blueroomer
06-13-2011, 03:39 PM
Is anyone else waiting (or did wait) a really long time for ACC to approve their funding cite for FTU? This driving me crazy. I have like eight business days to out-process my base and my MPF can't amend my orders to Creech without funding cite from ACC. My FTU starts on the 27th of June at Holloman and I'm just sitting here waiting. Whats the hold up?

bobbo489
06-14-2011, 02:01 PM
Hello everyone, I have done my best at trying to read as many of the pages in the forum as I could so forgive if this has already been asked. What is Camp Bullis? and are we doing it? I am just trying to figure out what I will need when I do come down for my classes. I got notified last week and have the training RIP's for my class dates. 11-27-12-06 for fundies, then 12-08-1-24 for BSOC or whatever class is during that time. Ok after reading some more I have another question. I have my fundies date, I have my BSOC date. After those 2 courses is there another course or a PCS? I am just trying to figure out when I need to sell my house by. Thanks

turbosmitty
06-14-2011, 04:05 PM
Go to https://etca.randolph.af.mil (on a GOV computer)

Once on the main page, click on the 'Search' tab in the far top right.

Under 'Course ID', search L3AQRXXXXX 01AA for Aircrew Fundies, or UAS BSOC for BSOC.

Here's the reporting instructions. From what I've heard; Camp Bullis is a fun field trip. After BSOC you will go back to your home station for around 2-3 months and then you will finish up training at Holloman (FTU). After FTU, you will go back to your home station to outprocess. In the mean time read through all the post on here. Everything you need to know is discussed on here (including what you should bring to school).

AeroNut
06-14-2011, 05:17 PM
Here's something I haven't really put a lot of thought into yet...

When we apply for the TS clearance, I've heard there's a maximum debt-to-income ratio. Does anyone know what it is? Also does anybody know how they handle joint credit? My fiancee pays for her car, but we're both on the loan. If they were to consider that debt without considering her income, I'm sure it would probably look pretty bad for me.

jeremy831
06-14-2011, 09:26 PM

When we apply for the TS clearance, I've heard there's a maximum debt-to-income ratio. Does anyone know what it is? Also does anybody know how they handle joint credit? My fiancee pays for her car, but we're both on the loan. If they were to consider that debt without considering her income, I'm sure it would probably look pretty bad for me.

Here's a website I found that has some good info, but really I wouldn't worry too terribly much.

http://www.clearancejobs.com/news.php?articleID=39

How crazy is it? I know you don't wanna air out your dirty laundry, but I'm sure it can't be too terribly bad.
I know they're more so interested in delinquent debt. Also, the reason they worry about the debt is because they don't want you to be a risk for wanting to sell information to pay off the debt. So as long as you are still always able to make the payments and are not getting behind, I would think you're still good.

AeroNut
06-14-2011, 11:10 PM
How crazy is it? I know you don't wanna air out your dirty laundry, but I'm sure it can't be too terribly bad.
I know they're more so interested in delinquent debt. Also, the reason they worry about the debt is because they don't want you to be a risk for wanting to sell information to pay off the debt. So as long as you are still always able to make the payments and are not getting behind, I would think you're still good.

Thanks for the link, that was a pretty informative article. For some reason I was under the impression that there was a certain max percentage or something to that effect.

Doing a basic calculation, if they were to include my fiancee's auto loan without considering her income I would be at about 39%. I made some stupid car buying decisions in my younger years that I've been working on correcting, but unfortunately it's still inflating my D/I ratio. I don't know what all they take into account though... is it just the credit report type debt or does it include things like utilities/cell phone payments/etc.?

Reading the article, and assuming it's accurate, I feel a little better about the issue. I have no delinquent debt and the only negative thing on my credit report is a single late payment on an old (paid off) Capital One credit card. The late payment was on an interest fee that arose after I paid the card off during a deployment. The payment actually wasn't even late, Capital One just screwed me and didn't correct it like they said they would.

curtst
06-15-2011, 04:51 AM

Don't sweat it too much. I know I did. I got mine. I have a lot of debt, everything is in my name and my wife doesn't work (don't ask). Just be completely honest. Don't lie about anything!

Clark1234
06-15-2011, 07:29 PM
Hello!

I haven't posted in a while, but about 2 hours ago I finally got my extension for my deadline to submit my package. My new deadline is 1 September, and my appointment with optometry is 20 June. I'm hoping that everything will go smoothly so I don't have to ask for another extension because Flight Med is dragging their sorry a$$ around. How long, on average, should I expect my flying class 3 physical to take for this job? Do you think I will meet my deadline? Any infomation would be greatly appreciated.

selbergjd
06-15-2011, 07:42 PM
Class date in hand! November 18th is when i head out. Anyone else have the same class date? From what i read after getting our 3 level we go to creech till we get our 5 level, is this true? I was also curious if anyone had any direction as far as training goes for stuff i can study prior to leaving. I have 5 months left i really just want some stuff to read up and learn more about what im getting into instead of going into training blind. I'm obviously not looking for answers to anything, more like a broad subject i can get a book on at the library i guess.

FYI the book "Wire For War" is a awesome book on robotics and UAVs it was on the reading list not to long ago. It's written by P.W. Singer

selbergjd
06-15-2011, 07:46 PM
I had a bad experience with my med group also. it took me about a month and a half to get to my appointment then i had to get glasses and return to the physical it took me 2 months to complete it and it took them 2 months after that to get my paperwork finished because they "lost" it. Just keep on them and make sure they are moving your paperwork up, i hope you get your package submitted in time.

Jumper5
06-15-2011, 08:02 PM
From what i read after getting our 3 level we go to creech till we get our 5 level, is this true?

Nope. If you have orders to Creech, you will go to Creech. If you have orders to Ellsworth, you will go to Ellsworth. If you have orders to Cannon or Whiteman, well, you get the point.

Don't worry about studying up on anything prior to leaving for training. Everything that you need to know will be taught in the pipeline. Take advantage of the next five months and do things like burning some leave on a nice vacation.

turbosmitty
06-15-2011, 08:02 PM
Hello!

I haven't posted in a while, but about 2 hours ago I finally got my extension for my deadline to submit my package. My new deadline is 1 September, and my appointment with optometry is 20 June. I'm hoping that everything will go smoothly so I don't have to ask for another extension because Flight Med is dragging their sorry a$$ around. How long, on average, should I expect my flying class 3 physical to take for this job? Do you think I will meet my deadline? Any infomation would be greatly appreciated.

Did you find out if you're going to need another physical? If not your deadline should be fine. If you need to get another physical I would let flight med know of your situation along with the deadline you received to get it done.

Class date in hand! November 18th is when i head out. Anyone else have the same class date? From what i read after getting our 3 level we go to creech till we get our 5 level, is this true? I was also curious if anyone had any direction as far as training goes for stuff i can study prior to leaving. I have 5 months left i really just want some stuff to read up and learn more about what im getting into instead of going into training blind. I'm obviously not looking for answers to anything, more like a broad subject i can get a book on at the library i guess.

FYI the book "Wire For War" is a awesome book on robotics and UAVs it was on the reading list not to long ago. It's written by P.W. Singer

Congrats! As far as class locations go; Creech is no longer used for training. Holloman is where your follow on training (FTU) is located. As far as reading goes...I would start from the beginning of this thread and read everything. There's a lot of good info found in this thread and that will better prepare you for entering this career field.

AeroNut
06-15-2011, 08:09 PM
Hello!
How long, on average, should I expect my flying class 3 physical to take for this job? Do you think I will meet my deadline? Any infomation would be greatly appreciated.

This has been answered, discussed, and verified repeatedly on this thread. You should not be receiving a FCIII physical. You need a Ground Based Controller, or GBAC, physical. Refer to AFI 48-123 Paragraph 6.46. Make absolutely sure that your flight medicine section is performing the proper physical. Many flight medicine sections can't seem to figure out the difference. Print out the AFI and show it to them, if you have to. When I went to flight med I had a highlighted copy of AFI 48-123, the AFECD information for 1U0X1, and all my communication with AFPC printed out in a folder. It came in quite handy.

EDIT: Here's the quote staight out of AFI 48-123...
"6.46. Ground Based Aircraft Controller Medical Standards. The standards in Section 6I
apply to all ground based aircraft controllers which includes air traffic controller, weapons
controllers/directors, combat controllers and Aerospace Control and Warning Systems (1C5X1),
Tactical Air Control Party (1C4X1), Air Liaison Officer (13LX) and RPA sensor operators
(1U0X1)."

Sounds like a cool read, thanks for the recommendation. I'm always on the lookout for interesting books. I'm assuming it's non-fictional?

shotdown
06-15-2011, 09:06 PM

You'll get your 3-level after you complete BSOC. Then you go to FTU at either Holloman or March. Depending on when your FTU date is, you'll go back to your original base before PCSing. My FTU is immediately after BSOC so I'm going to make a stop at my base (Nellis) and file my travel voucher before heading to March ARB.

As far as material, you'll get your study guide when you get to BSOC. The instructors don't really want you to read ahead because they want to teach the material to you first. The reason is because they don't want you to learn something your way and you may have understood it wrong.

selbergjd
06-16-2011, 01:27 PM
"Sounds like a cool read, thanks for the recommendation. I'm always on the lookout for interesting books. I'm assuming it's non-fictional?"

It's all real stuff. It's got everything from the history of how uavs and robotics in war got started to the politics behind writing a doctirne for autonomis warbots. pretty cool stuff this book blew my mind it's a awesome read. It's got some future views on what we might have later and stuff nasa is working on right now.

selbergjd
06-16-2011, 01:33 PM
You'll get your 3-level after you complete BSOC. Then you go to FTU at either Holloman or March. Depending on when your FTU date is, you'll go back to your original base before PCSing. My FTU is immediately after BSOC so I'm going to make a stop at my base (Nellis) and file my travel voucher before heading to March ARB.

As far as material, you'll get your study guide when you get to BSOC. The instructors don't really want you to read ahead because they want to teach the material to you first. The reason is because they don't want you to learn something your way and you may have understood it wrong.

I can understand why they might not want you to learn on your own. Im just bored i want to be around UAV stuff to keep me motivated while i wait. So what exactly is a FTU? sounds like its just your home station after 3 level training. I know it means formal training unit but do you move on after your done there or what?

jamesk
06-16-2011, 01:54 PM
1U0X1 was hit with the largest cutback of all enlisted AFSCs: over 2%.

I thought this career field was still growing? Is the gravy train slowing down?

AeroNut
06-16-2011, 04:24 PM
It's all real stuff. It's got everything from the history of how uavs and robotics in war got started to the politics behind writing a doctirne for autonomis warbots. pretty cool stuff this book blew my mind it's a awesome read. It's got some future views on what we might have later and stuff nasa is working on right now.

Found a copy of it new on the Amazon Marketplace for $4 so I went ahead and bought it. If it sucks I'm going to send you annoying daily PMs degrading your taste in books. :D

I read the reviews and it seems pretty cool. People were saying it has a pretty interesting mix of pop culture amongst the analysis.

1U0X1 was hit with the largest cutback of all enlisted AFSCs: over 2%.

I thought this career field was still growing? Is the gravy train slowing down?

Where did you come across this information? 1U0X1 has some of the highest OBJ IN numbers on the retraining advisory, and we all know that the AFSC is expanding in base availability. Was this a news article somewhere?

bobbo489
06-16-2011, 04:24 PM
Class date in hand! November 18th is when i head out. Anyone else have the same class date? From what i read after getting our 3 level we go to creech till we get our 5 level, is this true?

My class date is supposed to be Nov 18th, not sure if it is gonna happen now, since I had to go on an emergency deployment and my pt is now overdue. So my CC won't sign my retraining or reenlistment papers until it is current again. Hopefully the retraining office will allow me to hold my RIP's and all that info until I get back then turn it in, if not then I guess I lost my chance.:ohwell

AeroNut
06-16-2011, 04:30 PM
My class date is supposed to be Nov 18th, not sure if it is gonna happen now, since I had to go on an emergency deployment and my pt is now overdue. So my CC won't sign my retraining or reenlistment papers until it is current again. Hopefully the retraining office will allow me to hold my RIP's and all that info until I get back then turn it in, if not then I guess I lost my chance.:ohwell

That's a dick move. Your leadership deploys you in a manner causing you to go overdue on PT, and then refuses to sign your retraining application because of it? I'd be throwing a huge hissy-fit.

bobbo489
06-16-2011, 04:59 PM
I already have, and the sad thing is where I am deployed to they have a person authorized by the HAWC to test people. However that persons Wing CC has a policy that prohibits them from testing anyone not from there base. (Whatever happened to we are all Airmen?) So now I am doing a call every office until you finally get told the right one and hope for an extenion.

AeroNut
06-16-2011, 05:11 PM
I already have, and the sad thing is where I am deployed to they have a person authorized by the HAWC to test people. However that persons Wing CC has a policy that prohibits them from testing anyone not from there base. (Whatever happened to we are all Airmen?) So now I am doing a call every office until you finally get told the right one and hope for an extenion.

Sounds like you're handling it better than I would. My response to this kind of BS would be separation.

bobbo489
06-16-2011, 05:57 PM
Over the past 5.5 years I have come to realize that the entire MX field is full of BS. Too many mindless drones. Funny thing is that since I have attempted retraining, half of my shop is now attempting retraining. The way it looks is that my shop will be empty of the current people within the next 3 years.

AeroNut
06-16-2011, 06:36 PM
Over the past 5.5 years I have come to realize that the entire MX field is full of BS. Too many mindless drones. Funny thing is that since I have attempted retraining, half of my shop is now attempting retraining. The way it looks is that my shop will be empty of the current people within the next 3 years.

Haha same here. It's quite the phenomenon isn't it? Save for maybe 2 or 3 people, my entire ALS class is in some form of retraining because the Contracting SrA talked up his career field so much. Since I've started the retraining process, I know of at least 5 other maintainers following suit in my MXG. The IFCS shop here is going to be in for a bit of a shocker.

bcarey
06-16-2011, 06:43 PM
Everybody wants to retrain these days. The grass always seems to be greener.

AeroNut
06-16-2011, 06:46 PM

For me it's a variety thing. I actually have things very good where I'm at right now, but I just get extremely bored doing the same job for X years. My goal in the AF is to try as many things as I can, even if it's something that isn't heavily sought after.

bcarey
06-16-2011, 06:54 PM
Not a bad idea. I guess I'm doing the same thing, just as a civilian! WOO!

selbergjd
06-16-2011, 06:58 PM
Haha same here. It's quite the phenomenon isn't it? Save for maybe 2 or 3 people, my entire ALS class is in some form of retraining because the Contracting SrA talked up his career field so much. Since I've started the retraining process, I know of at least 5 other maintainers following suit in my MXG. The IFCS shop here is going to be in for a bit of a shocker.

Same here for me. I put in for cross training now we only have 2 people remaining in the section after all the PCS/retraining is over with. Im AGE so i think everyone just wants a job where they arent covered in grease and liquid cancer every day.

blueroomer
06-16-2011, 09:00 PM

I crossed over from ammo. The grass is in fact greener.

Same here for me. I put in for cross training now we only have 2 people remaining in the section after all the PCS/retraining is over with. Im AGE so i think everyone just wants a job where they arent covered in grease and liquid cancer every day.

Dirty, hard work sucks sometimes but that wasn't what drove me to retrain. It was the day-to-day mind numbing bullshit, the fact that half the people I worked with or under were huge assholes or actual retards or both, the insane cluster f**k known as the flight line, the broken crappy equipment that was old in the 70's, the hundreds of completely redundant and pointless steps to do even the smallest simplest tasks, QA not leaving a CTK or HAZMAT locker alone until they find something even if it took 5 hours, having the USAF spend tens of thousands of dollars to make me a munitions tech and then as a 5-level my shop chief having me pull weeds on a Saturday, and worst of all pretending that we were the best and most awesome career field by having to say: "If you ain't ammo, you ain't shit!" when we all knew it was a sucky, stupid, dead-end job.

Clark1234
06-16-2011, 09:03 PM
This has been answered, discussed, and verified repeatedly on this thread. You should not be receiving a FCIII physical. You need a Ground Based Controller, or GBAC, physical. Refer to AFI 48-123 Paragraph 6.46. Make absolutely sure that your flight medicine section is performing the proper physical. Many flight medicine sections can't seem to figure out the difference. Print out the AFI and show it to them, if you have to. When I went to flight med I had a highlighted copy of AFI 48-123, the AFECD information for 1U0X1, and all my communication with AFPC printed out in a folder. It came in quite handy.

EDIT: Here's the quote staight out of AFI 48-123...
"6.46. Ground Based Aircraft Controller Medical Standards. The standards in Section 6I
apply to all ground based aircraft controllers which includes air traffic controller, weapons
controllers/directors, combat controllers and Aerospace Control and Warning Systems (1C5X1),
Tactical Air Control Party (1C4X1), Air Liaison Officer (13LX) and RPA sensor operators
(1U0X1)."

Thanks for your reminder.....I called flight med and asked them that. Luckily they are incorperating my Flying Class 3 physical in with the GBAC physical as well (hit 2 birds with 1 stone kind thing). The other job that I'm attempting to retrain into (1c6x1 Space Satellite Operator) which requires a flying class 3 physical so I should be good to go with the medical paperwork now. All i need to do is sit back and wait for everything. If you have any more input to help me look more into the future please let me know, it will be greatly appreciated.

AeroNut
06-16-2011, 10:17 PM
Dirty, hard work sucks sometimes but that wasn't what drove me to retrain. It was the day-to-day mind numbing bullshit, the fact that half the people I worked with or under were huge assholes or actual retards or both, the insane cluster f**k known as the flight line, the broken crappy equipment that was old in the 70's, the hundreds of completely redundant and pointless steps to do even the smallest simplest tasks, QA not leaving a CTK or HAZMAT locker alone until they find something even if it took 5 hours, having the USAF spend tens of thousands of dollars to make me a munitions tech and then as a 5-level my shop chief having me pull weeds on a Saturday, and worst of all pretending that we were the best and most awesome career field by having to say: "If you ain't ammo, you ain't shit!" when we all knew it was a sucky, stupid, dead-end job.

:clap2

I don't think I could have worded it better. I can't stand the flightline... it's just not the style of job that suits me. Mind numbing is definitely the way to describe it.

There are some jobs that really are just crappy, and the grass really is greener elsewhere.

Thanks for your reminder.....I called flight med and asked them that. Luckily they are incorperating my Flying Class 3 physical in with the GBAC physical as well (hit 2 birds with 1 stone kind thing). The other job that I'm attempting to retrain into (1c6x1 Space Satellite Operator) which requires a flying class 3 physical so I should be good to go with the medical paperwork now. All i need to do is sit back and wait for everything. If you have any more input to help me look more into the future please let me know, it will be greatly appreciated.

No problem. I didn't know you have another AFSC on your list that required an FC III. As far as when it will come back, the current turn-around from when your information is submitted by flight medicine and when it returns from Air Staff is about 2 weeks. The question is, how long will your flight medicine section take to submit the information? Mine has taken about 6 weeks.