PDA

View Full Version : Sensor Operator Retraining (1U0X1)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

shotdown
02-09-2011, 04:31 PM
So, I'll be starting aircrew funds 22Apr and graduating RPA 15Jul. I am wondering how long people are currently waiting on FTU??? My wife is prego with a due date of Mid Oct 2011. I wonder if they will work with me to go straight from RPA to FTU so i won't be in class during the birth?
I'm in the same class. That makes three of us here.

Fizzle
02-09-2011, 04:48 PM
I'm in the same class. That makes three of us here.

I also know another guy. There is a TSgt I work with who was approved the same day i was. He is in the same class too :)

shotdown
02-09-2011, 04:50 PM
I also know another guy. There is a TSgt I work with who was approved the same day i was. He is in the same class too :)

Awesome. Rlewis55 is another one.

theworkingman
02-09-2011, 08:36 PM
I just talked to AFPC asking why I only have 2 class dates and they said it is because their "could be" 3 classes depending on prior experience...I think I will have to call them back and call BS on that since I just looked at the CFETP and there are definitely 3 classes of which I have no prior experience in any of them...has anyone else had this issue?

SICelement
02-09-2011, 08:55 PM
I'm sure we'll get our 3rd class date when we closer to our class dates. I am going to call them when I get to work tomorrow though. Just to be sure.

turbosmitty
02-09-2011, 09:14 PM
I got the same dates with almost the same timeline. About a month for the physical (I had an awesome Med Tech!) turned in my application mid January, approved at the first board on the 7th, and got my Rips the next day! I am a SSGT FTA 2T271 with a little under 6 years in. I don't think you are required to do an ETP as a FTA, Smitty unless you have something wrong with you. I believe my career field is balanced. Anyway, cant wait to get started! Does anyone know when you get the RPA class date? I only got the first two dates.

I'm not a FTA. I needed an ETP letter since my career field is balanced.

theworkingman
02-09-2011, 09:48 PM
I'm not a FTA. I needed an ETP letter since my career field is balanced.

I gathered that. I apologize. I just thought you were not aware of that since you asked SICelement if he needed an ETP. Best of luck to you. Apparently perseverance is the key. I've been on the retraining path since July of 2009 with various roadblocks along the way. Just don't let it get you down and keep riding AFPC until they pull their heads out and you will be fine.

turbosmitty
02-10-2011, 01:26 AM
I gathered that. I apologize. I just thought you were not aware of that since you asked SICelement if he needed an ETP. Best of luck to you. Apparently perseverance is the key. I've been on the retraining path since July of 2009 with various roadblocks along the way. Just don't let it get you down and keep riding AFPC until they pull their heads out and you will be fine.

Oh no worries. I was just wondering...since SIClement got picked up so quick. Seems like there's alot of retraininees here on this thread that have ETP letters. I've been chasing after this job for a while now too. I'm not even worried about it anymore. If I get it...awesome...if not...oh well...I'll try again.

Jumper5
02-10-2011, 02:24 AM
I just talked to AFPC asking why I only have 2 class dates and they said it is because their "could be" 3 classes depending on prior experience...I think I will have to call them back and call BS on that since I just looked at the CFETP and there are definitely 3 classes of which I have no prior experience in any of them...has anyone else had this issue?

I got my class dates for Aircrew Fundamentals and BSOC about six months before I started classes. I got my RFC class date within a week of leaving for San Antonio. From talking with my classmates, it was a very common issue.

SWright
02-10-2011, 03:51 PM
What's up fellas? I have a quick question for you guys about class dates while we are all on the subject here. I have dates for all 3 courses in San Antonio already. When do we get our FTU dates for Holloman? I'm assuming during BSOC or something, but I'm just wondering when most have been getting a date for that? As always, thanks.

Jumper5
02-10-2011, 06:16 PM
FTUs can be at Creech or Holloman. Dates come down in BSOC or RFC either with or shortly after getting your assignment.

Barberakb
02-10-2011, 06:40 PM
So for those of you that are already at Creech, Cannon or Whiteman. If you could list some pros/cons of your current assignment location I'm sure a lot of us here would appreciate it. I know I would. Especially since there are only 3 choices. Thanks!

gundog
02-10-2011, 06:41 PM
So for those of you that are already at Creech, Cannon or Whiteman. If you could list some pros/cons of your current assignment location I'm sure a lot of us here would appreciate it. I know I would. Especially since there are only 3 choices. Thanks!

At Cannon, some days it doesn't smell like cow shit.

theworkingman
02-10-2011, 06:49 PM
Sad. If I am reading 36-2606 correctly, it seems the AF has thouroghly squashed my dream of getting a decent SRB under the heel of an immaculately groomed green suede boot. Guess I am stuck with the pitiful x1 of my career field, unless someone has a ray of light to shine (o.0)...anyone? Still looking forward to it though. Beats the hell out of keeping track of people and their crap.

SICelement
02-11-2011, 12:06 PM
Sad. If I am reading 36-2606 correctly, it seems the AF has thouroghly squashed my dream of getting a decent SRB under the heel of an immaculately groomed green suede boot. Guess I am stuck with the pitiful x1 of my career field, unless someone has a ray of light to shine (o.0)...anyone? Still looking forward to it though. Beats the hell out of keeping track of people and their crap.

Where in there did you read you wouldn't be able to get the bonus? The way my MPF explained it to me was that I can reenlist now, or extend 23 months and then reenlist with my new SRB. Obviously I chose to extend and I'll reenlist in about 20 months so I can get my hands on that big fat bonus. That is, assuming the bonus is still there in 20 months.

theworkingman
02-11-2011, 09:26 PM
Where in there did you read you wouldn't be able to get the bonus? The way my MPF explained it to me was that I can reenlist now, or extend 23 months and then reenlist with my new SRB. Obviously I chose to extend and I'll reenlist in about 20 months so I can get my hands on that big fat bonus. That is, assuming the bonus is still there in 20 months.

Well unfortunately for me, I have been in just a hair too long. Even with the 23 month extension I still cant manage the required 36 months. I went to MPF today and they crunched the numbers and said I had no choice but to re-enlist. According to 36-2606 going from an SRB job to an SRB job you take the lower multiplier of the two if you have to re-enlist. The reason I am in so late is due to being overseas during my initial window. When I tried back in '09 at the required 9-15 months before DEROS because I was overseas, AFPC denied it because my DEROS was in OCT...the beginning of the new fiscal year. I was instructed to wait until the new quotas came out for 2011. When April came around and the new numbers were out, they denied me again! Said I was too close to PCSing in Oct to do it and that I should just wait until I get to my next base to apply...:( So here I am. Since my job only has a x1 SRB in zone B, Ill wait until June to re-enlist when I hit my 6yr mark and get something outta it before I leave for school. Hopefully in 4yrs when it comes back around 1U will still have something...if not I can always get out and make some real money as a civvy :D

f16crewchief
02-12-2011, 02:51 AM
Looks like Flight Med. is processing my Class III....lets hope it doesn't take too long....only 3 slots left for Staff. Hopefully they add more slots.

SICelement
02-12-2011, 12:52 PM
Hey theworkingman,

Hopefully this helps. My DOS is in June as well, but I got my extention approved. I did some research for you. Look up AFI 36-2626 Chapter 3.5 Table 3.3. Unless this is outdated, it states that FTA need to "extend enlistment 23 months (combined total of all
extensions) beyond normal Expiration Term of
Service (ETS) and have at least 14 months remaining
service beyond class graduation. Any CDA
beyond 14 months is waived (all notes apply)."

Put up a fight for that new SRB. Make sure your MPF is aware that you're a FTA. And good luck!

theworkingman
02-13-2011, 11:03 AM
Hey theworkingman,

Hopefully this helps. My DOS is in June as well, but I got my extention approved. I did some research for you. Look up AFI 36-2626 Chapter 3.5 Table 3.3. Unless this is outdated, it states that FTA need to "extend enlistment 23 months (combined total of all
extensions) beyond normal Expiration Term of
Service (ETS) and have at least 14 months remaining
service beyond class graduation. Any CDA
beyond 14 months is waived (all notes apply)."

Put up a fight for that new SRB. Make sure your MPF is aware that you're a FTA. And good luck!

Thanks man. Your right. I contactacted AFPC and this is the reply they sent:

Thank you for contacting Service Center--San Antonio. If a first-term Airman has an approved retraining and is able to extend 23 months then member will reenlist under the new CAFSC after all eligibility requirements are met. If a member receives a reen-avail code of “B”, extend the member out to a total of 23 months, no matter how many months the retraining office states the member requires, this is in accordance with AFI 36-2626 Retraining.

First Term Airmen should extend their enlistment by a total of 23 months and have at least the full retainability required (See Below) after the class graduation date. Those AFSCs are annotated on the listing. If the member is unable to get the required retainability by extending then they must reenlist to acquire the retainability. **Airman must be eligible for reenlistment in accordance with AFI 36-2606 Para 3.1.2.

If approved for CAREERS retraining the member must get retainability. No matter how much retainability the member may already have after class grad date they still must extend their enlistment by 23 months if they are approved for FTA Retraining. For example, a First Term Airman retrains early, at the two (4 year enlistee) or three (6 year enlistees) year point as an ETP. They have a short course, and they already have over 14 months after the CGD. This member must still extend their current enlistment by 23 months. That is the "cost" of retraining. If the Air Force is going to train you for a new job, they are going to obtain the return on the investment.

They’re not eligible to reenlist until they complete the technical training. Retrainees must possess the 3-skill level in the retraining skill, and report to their first permanent duty station following training, before they can reenlist or extend for the SRB. (EXCEPTION: Retrainees into Air Traffic Control may not reenlist for an SRB until award of SEI 053, 056, or 364 to their PAFSC, 2AFSC, etc. CAFSC SEIs are not considered.)

As a reminder, first-term airmen who extended 23 months may request cancellation of their retraining extension within 30 days upon graduation of the retraining technical school (if it has not been entered) to allow for immediate reenlistment. Extensions that have been entered will not be forgiven and will be considered obligated service.

I was paying attention to the RIP that says: ADSC requirements--Amn--36months

Guess I will be bugging the MPF again on Mon :P

turbosmitty
02-13-2011, 11:41 AM
As of 10 Feb. My current AFSC 2A3X3 is moving 300 SrA and SSgts over to 2A5X1. That tells me that my current AFSC has an overage and is no longer a balanced career field. I contacted AFPC and the civilian I talked with couldn't answer my question and said she would not leave a note for someone else to review. My package is currently awaiting air staffs approval due to my ETP letter. I wonder if this will speed my wait time?

theworkingman
02-13-2011, 12:40 PM
As of 10 Feb. My current AFSC 2A3X3 is moving 300 SrA and SSgts over to 2A5X1. That tells me that my current AFSC has an overage and is no longer a balanced career field. I contacted AFPC and the civilian I talked with couldn't answer my question and said she would not leave a note for someone else to review. My package is currently awaiting air staffs approval due to my ETP letter. I wonder if this will speed my wait time?

They wouldn't even try to answer your question? Isn't that what they are there for? If not to find an answer if they don't have one? I would try again but this time email it using your retraining thread in your Mystuff. Couldn't hurt to give it a second shot in writing.

turbosmitty
02-14-2011, 02:56 AM
They wouldn't even try to answer your question? Isn't that what they are there for? If not to find an answer if they don't have one? I would try again but this time email it using your retraining thread in your Mystuff. Couldn't hurt to give it a second shot in writing.

She agreed with what I was saying. She didn't answer my questions. When I asked her to add a note to my profile repeating the questions I had asked her, she told me she couldn't do that. I'll try again first thing Monday morning.

theworkingman
02-14-2011, 03:07 AM
Thats weird. They usually transcribe your question and answer anyways. I wonder why she wouldn't do it. Not to get too far off topic, but what are your thoughts on being transplanted from tacticals to heavies?

turbosmitty
02-14-2011, 03:29 AM
Thats weird. They usually transcribe your question and answer anyways. I wonder why she wouldn't do it. Not to get too far off topic, but what are your thoughts on being transplanted from tacticals to heavies?

I just posted my questions on AFPC. As far as force retraining from fighters to heavies...I'm all for it; as long as they need us. As manning requirements are being reviewed from higher HQ. I don't see the fighter crew chiefs being stacked at all. We are getting by with what we have now. We recently went through the force retraining chopping block; I wasn't expecting to see it happen again. I've seen how swapping airframes on crew chiefs can mess up the work flow. Sometimes individuals want to play the new guy card and not step to be a leader. Thats when the work load increases for the guys that know whats going on. I can understand the shell shock at first...I've been there and done that. Its getting those newly assigned maintainers motivated to learn and be a team player.

turbosmitty
02-14-2011, 06:35 PM
After waiting almost 3 months as a status 3, this is what they leave me with.

Air Staff is closing all pending Exception to Policy packages for the 2A3X3 career field due to the mandatory retraining. You should be able to reapply for retraining after the program has been completed.

Now what?!?!

Barberakb
02-14-2011, 07:28 PM
You wait to see if anything changes. I waited for like 5 months of status 3 last year and then one day my stuff was just gone. They told me to wait a few months and reapply. I did and got accepted. It sucks but you just got to wait and see.

turbosmitty
02-14-2011, 07:35 PM
You wait to see if anything changes. I waited for like 5 months of status 3 last year and then one day my stuff was just gone. They told me to wait a few months and reapply. I did and got accepted. It sucks but you just got to wait and see.

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I'll wait to see when the next time I can reapply. Did they give you a date when you could reapply? Do you submit your package again or start completely over?

Barberakb
02-14-2011, 08:41 PM
They gave me an exact date. Which at the time was Oct 1 2010. I reapplied on Oct 1 and was accepted on Oct 18. Also, they should save all your stuff so you don't have to start all over. When I went to reapply my stuff was still missing. I had to call AFPC, explain my situation and they did whatever magic they do so all my stuff reaapeared. I reapplied that same day. It's easy to give up. But you can't get approved if you quit. Good luck.

shotdown
02-15-2011, 05:06 PM
They gave me an exact date. Which at the time was Oct 1 2010. I reapplied on Oct 1 and was accepted on Oct 18. Also, they should save all your stuff so you don't have to start all over. When I went to reapply my stuff was still missing. I had to call AFPC, explain my situation and they did whatever magic they do so all my stuff reaapeared. I reapplied that same day. It's easy to give up. But you can't get approved if you quit. Good luck.

They did the same thing to me. My application was closed on 28 Jul 10 and was told to reapply 1 Oct. All I did is hit submit in the AFPC webpage and got accepted 18 Oct. I know it sucks but keep trying.

turbosmitty
02-15-2011, 06:56 PM
They did the same thing to me. My application was closed on 28 Jul 10 and was told to reapply 1 Oct. All I did is hit submit in the AFPC webpage and got accepted 18 Oct. I know it sucks but keep trying.

My biggest worry comes when I reenlist next month. I've been in for 12 years now and haven't been tasked for a remote assignment yet. Half of my time in was spent overseas. I've got a feeling I'm going to get tagged for 1 year to Korea shortly after I reenlist.

SICelement
02-16-2011, 12:06 AM
Has anyone heard when they're supposed to open up Ellsworth for 1U's?

shotdown
02-16-2011, 12:18 AM
Has anyone heard when they're supposed to open up Ellsworth for 1U's?

Sometime in 2012.

turbosmitty
02-16-2011, 02:54 AM

When AFSC closed your application, did you stay status 3 in vMPF?

shotdown
02-16-2011, 05:00 AM
When AFSC closed your application, did you stay status 3 in vMPF?

I didn't even get the opportunity to go status 3. I resubmitted 1 Oct 10, went status 3 on 4 Oct 10. Then went status 6 on 18 Oct 10.

turbosmitty
02-16-2011, 08:47 AM
I didn't even get the opportunity to go status 3. I resubmitted 1 Oct 10, went status 3 on 4 Oct 10. Then went status 6 on 18 Oct 10.

Did you have an ETP letter? The ETP re-trainees are told 90-120 days. I wonder if that wait will resume were I left off at 75 days or just reset back to zero.

Barberakb
02-16-2011, 04:03 PM
My biggest worry comes when I reenlist next month. I've been in for 12 years now and haven't been tasked for a remote assignment yet. Half of my time in was spent overseas. I've got a feeling I'm going to get tagged for 1 year to Korea shortly after I reenlist.

I was in the same boat. I was trying to hold out so I could reenlist with a bonus. But it took over a year to get accepted so I had to reeenlist. It shot down my chance at a huge bonus but I didn't get an assignment. Just got accepted for retraining after I reenlisted.

shotdown
02-16-2011, 04:07 PM
Did you have an ETP letter? The ETP re-trainees are told 90-120 days. I wonder if that wait will resume were I left off at 75 days or just reset back to zero.

Yes, I had an ETP. My career field at my rank is 101% manned. Due to the short amount of time it took for mine to get approved. I think you'll start where you left off.

Barberakb
02-16-2011, 04:51 PM
For those of you in school now or recently departed. Did prior service have mandatory PT that you had to do or was it on your own? Thanks.

shotdown
02-16-2011, 04:59 PM
For those of you in school now or recently departed. Did prior service have mandatory PT that you had to do or was it on your own? Thanks.

I spoke to one of the guys that just left school and he said that it was on your own during fundies but became mandatory (3 times a week) during BSOC and UFC.

Barberakb
02-16-2011, 07:18 PM
Thanks man!

WireDawg
02-16-2011, 08:43 PM
I am new to this site but I have been accepted to the April 22nd retraining class. I was just wanting to get to know some other people that are in my same situation. If there anyone else in that same class I would like to get to know some people before class starts in April.

turbosmitty
02-16-2011, 10:57 PM
Yes, I had an ETP. My career field at my rank is 101% manned. Due to the short amount of time it took for mine to get approved. I think you'll start where you left off.

Thats good news. Thanks

Jumper5
02-17-2011, 02:33 AM
I spoke to one of the guys that just left school and he said that it was on your own during fundies but became mandatory (3 times a week) during BSOC and UFC.

For my class, PT was mandatory at BSOC but not mandatory at RFC if you passed a practice eval at the end of BSOC. FTU at Holloman had PT twice a week unless the flight/sim schedule did not permit it.

shotdown
02-17-2011, 06:25 PM
I am new to this site but I have been accepted to the April 22nd retraining class. I was just wanting to get to know some other people that are in my same situation. If there anyone else in that same class I would like to get to know some people before class starts in April.

I'll be in the same class.

WireDawg
02-17-2011, 10:07 PM
I'll be in the same class.

Sweet. It'll be nice to know someone. I see you're at Nellis, are you trying to get stationed at Creech then? Do you think they will take the same profile as they did when they took the initial crosstraining package or do we need to get an updated one?

shotdown
02-17-2011, 10:55 PM
Yes I'm trying to come back to Creech. Are you asking about the 422 for the profile?

IH8EngMTX
02-18-2011, 02:02 AM
I made it to Lackland earlier today, got billeted at Kelly (full per diem!) due to Lackland being all full. I start fundies in the morning but will have to get up at 5am to be at class at 0720 due to traffic in this area. I already met one other SO and while talking to my friend who's going through FE school, appearently all the instructors hate us U's since we're not "real aircrew." Those of you in the 22 April course will be joined by two of my co-workers (both E-5's).

shotdown
02-18-2011, 06:41 AM
So should I report straight to Kelly or Randolph? Will they have info on where you have to report for school?

Jumper5
02-18-2011, 02:21 PM
Report to Lackland for Fundies. Report to Randolph after completing Fundies. Read ETCA for reporting procedures.

Barberakb
02-18-2011, 03:03 PM
I start class April 1. Can't wait for the April fools jokes on the very first day of class.

shotdown
02-18-2011, 03:08 PM
Report to Lackland for Fundies. Report to Randolph after completing Fundies. Read ETCA for reporting procedures.

What's ETCA?

Jumper5
02-18-2011, 03:24 PM
What's ETCA?

Education and Training Course Announcements

If you have trouble finding it, talk to your UTM.

gundog
02-18-2011, 06:27 PM
Here's a link to the ETCA & Aircrew Fundies:
https://etca.randolph.af.mil/showcourse.asp?as_course_id=L3AQRXXXXX%2001AA#LACK LAND

Make sure you are on a .mil cpu. Have fun!

shotdown
02-18-2011, 06:28 PM
Here's a link to the ETCA & Aircrew Fundies:
https://etca.randolph.af.mil/showcourse.asp?as_course_id=L3AQRXXXXX%2001AA#LACK LAND

Make sure you are on a .mil cpu. Have fun!

Just downloaded them. Thanks. I'm just going to try and stay at Kelly and then move to Randolph.

IH8EngMTX
02-19-2011, 01:08 AM
Shotdown, I called the Gateway Inn (Lackland) about two hours before I arrived in San Antonio and got a reservation number. When I arrived, they said they were full and told me to go over to the Kelly Inn so I went and they gave me a room. I believe I get $36/day per diem here rather than just $13 being on Lackland. This is because there is nowhere to eat around Kelly.

I didn't need to get up so early this morning. Many of the ECP's dont open till 0600 and there was practically no traffic at 0530. I guess I can sleep in an extra 30 minutes now. We will have to do PT in the afternoon on Wednesdays during fundies, on your own the rest of the time. Class make up is about 50% prior/non-prior. Most in my group are U's.

Make sure you read the ETCA! I didn't notice it said to bring your medical and dental records until a day before I left. I had to have a copy of my orders and the ETCA printout stating to bring them in order for the Med Group to release them. They haven't asked for them yet but it is nice to have them in case they do. Hopefully this info helps some of you guys out in the future. There really should be a FAQ in this thread to reduce redundant questions. If I had the time, I may be tempted to make one.

curtst
02-19-2011, 01:48 AM
Make sure you read the ETCA! I didn't notice it said to bring your medical and dental records until a day before I left. I had to have a copy of my orders and the ETCA printout stating to bring them in order for the Med Group to release them. They haven't asked for them yet but it is nice to have them in case they do. Hopefully this info helps some of you guys out in the future. There really should be a FAQ in this thread to reduce redundant questions. If I had the time, I may be tempted to make one.

I didn't have mine and they didn't seem to care when they were taking the medical records when I was there. They only cared about the 1A's having their medical records and 1042s. When you go to FTU have your medical stuff and 1042s then for sure. By then you can\should hand carry them since you will be on flight status by then.

shotdown
02-19-2011, 02:13 AM
Shotdown, I called the Gateway Inn (Lackland) about two hours before I arrived in San Antonio and got a reservation number. When I arrived, they said they were full and told me to go over to the Kelly Inn so I went and they gave me a room. I believe I get $36/day per diem here rather than just $13 being on Lackland. This is because there is nowhere to eat around Kelly.

I didn't need to get up so early this morning. Many of the ECP's dont open till 0600 and there was practically no traffic at 0530. I guess I can sleep in an extra 30 minutes now. We will have to do PT in the afternoon on Wednesdays during fundies, on your own the rest of the time. Class make up is about 50% prior/non-prior. Most in my group are U's.

Thanks for the info. However, wouldn't it just be better to report to Kelly rather than Lackland? I am driving there so having a vehicle is not a problem.

How many people are still waiting on their TS clearance?

f16crewchief
02-19-2011, 01:46 PM
Well after months and months of waiting and bugging people and getting my foot in the door, with just alittle bit of work left to submit to AFPC, AFPC came down and is making me retrain to a heavies crew-chief (Non-Vol) so everything I did for SO is now pretty much null and void......good luck to you guys trying to get the slots for SO.

shotdown
02-20-2011, 02:42 AM
Well after months and months of waiting and bugging people and getting my foot in the door, with just alittle bit of work left to submit to AFPC, AFPC came down and is making me retrain to a heavies crew-chief (Non-Vol) so everything I did for SO is now pretty much null and void......good luck to you guys trying to get the slots for SO.

You may want to ask around because I got an email from my AMU telling Crew Chiefs to hold off on starting any paperwork for now. I'll have to read the email again when I get back in Tues.

f16crewchief
02-20-2011, 04:20 AM
I asked my chief the day i got it, and called AFPC the following day and they confirmed it, I also got an e-mail from AFPC "Congratulating" me on re-training to heavies.

IH8EngMTX
02-20-2011, 05:08 PM
I'm still waiting on my TSSC but I just submitted my E-qips last week right before I left. That really sucks for you f16crewchief. Heavey cc's are all disgruntled cause they are constantly worked to death in my experiance (C-130's).

yowazuphan
02-22-2011, 03:23 AM
Is anybody going to tech school on 24 June? I'm retraining out of 3M0 Services. Somebody mentioned ETCA... what's that stand for? I've been going on short-term TDYs for the past 2 months and I haven't really got to the reporting instructions yet. When do I get a copy of my orders? I found like the second week of Jan that I'm going in June so it would be nice to know a few classmates before I head to Lackland. For those who are still trying to get this job... good luck and keep your fingers crossed!

Sensor Operator Retrainee
Aircrew Fundies: 24 Jun
BSOC: 15 Jul
UFC: 18 Aug

Jumper5
02-22-2011, 03:34 AM
...Somebody mentioned ETCA... what's that stand for?

Scan up about 10 posts in this thread.

When do I get a copy of my orders?

Realistically, anywhere from a day to a week before you leave.

turbosmitty
02-22-2011, 06:23 AM
I asked my chief the day i got it, and called AFPC the following day and they confirmed it, I also got an e-mail from AFPC "Congratulating" me on re-training to heavies.

Thats messed up that AFPC is congratulating you on a choice they made for you.

rips
02-22-2011, 12:57 PM
how many people got accepted with out a TS?

Jumper5
02-22-2011, 01:20 PM

Judging solely from the class I was in, most people do not have a TS when applying and put in for it after being picked up for retraining.

Barberakb
02-22-2011, 04:05 PM

That sucks man. Good luck to you anyway.

shotdown
02-22-2011, 07:48 PM
Judging solely from the class I was in, most people do not have a TS when applying and put in for it after being picked up for retraining.

I'm going on 4 months and still haven't gotten mine.

IH8EngMTX
02-22-2011, 11:25 PM
My wife is convinced that the Kelly Inn is haunted. She asked housekeeping if anyone is in the adjoining room with us since we have heard the shower door open a few times and water running and they told her no (checked out a couple days ago). They said this place used to be a hospital and the basement was the morgue and the Inn was haunted. She was freaking out when I got back today because she said she tried to open the bathroom door and "something" was pulling on the other end. I'm a skeptic so I think it's air pressure changes (window open and fans blowing toward it since there is no A/C yet), imagination since they told her it was haunted, and noisy surroundings/neighbors. I just wanted to let you superstitious types aware if you decide to stay here.

IH8EngMTX
02-22-2011, 11:25 PM
Oh, there is a kitchen on the third floor here (Kelly Inn) and you can get cookware from the front desk to cook your own food so you dont have to rely on takeout, microwave garbage, dining out all the time.

Jumper5
02-23-2011, 01:28 AM
I'm going on 4 months and still haven't gotten mine.

Mine took seven months.

rips
02-23-2011, 12:49 PM
well i hope that helps me get the job already having a TS and all fire wall 5, 4 year SSgt.... crossing fingers....

curtst
02-25-2011, 04:40 PM

They don't care if you have one currently or not. Most people that do get picked up won't have it.

Barberakb
02-25-2011, 04:42 PM
They don't care if you have one currently or not. Most people that do get picked up won't have it.

With that said, if everything else is equal between 2 applicants, they are going to pick the one that already has the TS.

hugomk
02-25-2011, 04:52 PM
With that said, if everything else is equal between 2 applicants, they are going to pick the one that already has the TS.

Very likely.

gundog
02-25-2011, 05:06 PM
Not likely. For FTA, the fact that you have or don't have a TS is not in the equation. Reference AFI 36-2626: 4.1.3.2. Uses the following criteria to rank the applications: Most recent EPR; current grade; projected grade; next three EPRs; Date of Rank (DOR); Total Active Federal Military Service Date (TAFMSD); AQE score in the applicable area (electrical, mechanical, administrative, or general); requested AFSC preferences. For NCORP, it is a first come first served basis. The retraining advisory spells out that a TS is a requirement and the paperwork for a TS must be submitted within 10 days of retraining approval (note 4I6). Most people go to training waiting on a TS or with an interim TS.

hugomk
02-25-2011, 05:14 PM
Not likely. For FTA, the fact that you have or don't have a TS is not in the equation. Reference AFI 36-2626: 4.1.3.2. Uses the following criteria to rank the applications: Most recent EPR; current grade; projected grade; next three EPRs; Date of Rank (DOR); Total Active Federal Military Service Date (TAFMSD); AQE score in the applicable area (electrical, mechanical, administrative, or general); requested AFSC preferences. For NCORP, it is a first come first served basis. The retraining advisory spells out that a TS is a requirement and the paperwork for a TS must be submitted within 10 days of retraining approval (note 4I6). Most people go to training waiting on a TS or with an interim TS.

That maybe the case but there is still someone who looks at the applications and will decide who gets in. Like what Barbekab ask if all being equal, who will get in, the guy with the TS or the guy that does not have it. I'm betting on the guy with the TS.

Barberakb
02-25-2011, 05:19 PM
That maybe the case but there is still someone who looks at the applications and will decide who gets in. Like what Barbekab ask if all being equal, who will get in, the guy with the TS or the guy that does not have it. I'm betting on the guy with the TS.

Let's just agree to say it CAN'T hurt your chances. It probably helped my acceptance. But I was taking a TSgt slot. Either way, get it started ASAP so you don't have to worry about it.

gundog
02-25-2011, 05:22 PM

Bet all you want...you are still wrong.

hugomk
02-25-2011, 05:37 PM
Bet all you want...you are still wrong.

So you are saying that someone at AFPC will look at 2 applicants, everything is equal in their application except one has a TS and one doesn't, that AFPC will not use their clearance as the tie breaker?

gundog
02-25-2011, 05:53 PM
What I am saying is that AFPC only looks at what I said earlier for FTA. The security clearance doesn't even come up. Its on a spread sheet by name and info listed above to the right of each name. They go down the list and pick however many they chose for that month. For NCORP, again, it is first come, first served. If your name is first and you don't have a TS and the gal below you does you get it first. Again, the security clearance isn't looked at.

hugomk
02-25-2011, 06:05 PM
What I am saying is that AFPC only looks at what I said earlier for FTA. The security clearance doesn't even come up. Its on a spread sheet by name and info listed above to the right of each name. They go down the list and pick however many they chose for that month. For NCORP, again, it is first come, first served. If your name is first and you don't have a TS and the gal below you does you get it first. Again, the security clearance isn't looked at.

I understand what the regs says but what actually happens can be slight different. If you have a machine choosing who gets in base on the regs then I will agree with you 100%. But it's not a machine that chooses, it is someone behind a desk deciding and they tend to use their brains in making the decision.

gundog
02-25-2011, 06:09 PM
You don't understand...what I am telling you is what actually happens.

hugomk
02-25-2011, 06:23 PM
You don't understand...what I am telling you is what actually happens.

I guess you work at AFPC. If you do then I'll take your word.

gundog
02-25-2011, 06:43 PM
Something like that. You can take my word or don't. I just don't want people spreading erroneous information. People should not get wrapped around that idea of needing a TS before you apply or having a TS gives you an advantage, because it doesn't.

Barberakb
02-25-2011, 07:12 PM
lol, look what we started. I start class in about a month. Looking forward to it. San Antonio should be fun.

rips
02-26-2011, 03:07 AM
the fact that all this went this far... is just plain sad.... either way ill keep my fingers crossed! and either way you may be right or you may be wrong who really knows... unless your the one behind the desk hitting accept of decline... and if thats the case... hit accept one mines please!

shotdown
02-26-2011, 04:08 PM
All I can say is that I don't have a TS right now and I was accepted. I'm sure there was people with a TS that applied at the same time.

rips
02-26-2011, 08:53 PM
and i doubt you were even with anyone with a TS

shotdown
02-27-2011, 04:21 AM
and i doubt you were even with anyone with a TS

If you say so. Last intel guy I spoke to did not get selected.

Scruples
02-27-2011, 01:10 PM
All I can say is that I don't have a TS right now and I was accepted. I'm sure there was people with a TS that applied at the same time.

If you have at least an S, the AFCAF can give you an interim TS while waiting for the final adjudication. They just have to complete a certain portion of the SSBI to be able to grant the interim. Ask the SSO about it or your Security Manager.

yowazuphan
02-28-2011, 05:21 AM
It took me about 3 months to get status "6" and I don't have a TS... well it's in the progress right now. But good luck to y'all who's still trying.

rips
03-01-2011, 02:01 PM
anyone get picked up this month or does it take a few days after the last duty day to know? i know retraining advisory is down for me

lphill01
03-03-2011, 03:57 PM
Still status 3... And AFPC has no info on where my package is.

Barberakb
03-03-2011, 04:18 PM
How much training comes after the 3 month's in Texas?

Jumper5
03-03-2011, 04:21 PM
How much training comes after the 3 month's in Texas?

FTU is another 3+ months.

Additionally, if you end up at Whiteman or Ellsworth, you may have to go to Creech for a few weeks shortly after inprocessing at those bases.

Barberakb
03-03-2011, 04:42 PM
Thanks for the info. I didn't think you could go to Ellsworth yet?

Jumper5
03-03-2011, 05:03 PM
Thanks for the info. I didn't think you could go to Ellsworth yet?

It won't be too much longer before SOs are getting orders there. I'm not certain what the exact opening date is but people who start training approximately six months before the scheduled opening can consider it in the mix for an assignment.

Barberakb
03-03-2011, 05:53 PM
Hmm, I'd like to know because I start training next month. I wonder if that will be one of my few options. Hope so.

IH8EngMTX
03-04-2011, 10:17 PM
Just to give you soon to be fundies bound a heads up, the curriculum will be changing soon now that the ORI or whatever inspection they just had is over. I believe the only thing really changing is that they are going more in depth for different aircraft systems (Hydraulic, Engines, Electrical/Environmental, Com/Nav, etc). Currently, each of these is only given a general paragraph but it will be changed to an hour of detailed instruction. If you are prior aircraft maintenance, fundies is easy. I wish I could CLEP this stuff! (Still study though)

I repeat again, get billeted at Kelly as it is worth it. Good luck those still waiting to go status 5.

hugomk
03-05-2011, 06:34 AM
Hmm, I'd like to know because I start training next month. I wonder if that will be one of my few options. Hope so.

I believe Ellsworth will have it's RPA squadron later part of the year and it will be a MQ-9 squadron.

shotdown
03-05-2011, 10:33 PM
I believe Ellsworth will have it's RPA squadron later part of the year and it will be a MQ-9 squadron.

Just being an MQ-9 squadron will be something to think about.

YaKkO
03-06-2011, 07:46 PM
Just to give you soon to be fundies bound a heads up, the curriculum will be changing soon now that the ORI or whatever inspection they just had is over. I believe the only thing really changing is that they are going more in depth for different aircraft systems (Hydraulic, Engines, Electrical/Environmental, Com/Nav, etc). Currently, each of these is only given a general paragraph but it will be changed to an hour of detailed instruction. If you are prior aircraft maintenance, fundies is easy. I wish I could CLEP this stuff! (Still study though)

I repeat again, get billeted at Kelly as it is worth it. Good luck those still waiting to go status 5.

I would love to hear the logic for this shit....It's non Airframe specific so that tells me that they are just gonna ramble for 1 hour about BFE type curriculum when the large majority in that class are SO's, LM's and 1A3 types?

Sounds like some asshatery to me.

IH8EngMTX
03-07-2011, 01:35 AM
I would love to hear the logic for this shit....It's non Airframe specific so that tells me that they are just gonna ramble for 1 hour about BFE type curriculum when the large majority in that class are SO's, LM's and 1A3 types?

Sounds like some asshatery to me.

I thought the same thing when my instructor told us about it last week. It seems like a giant waste of time especially if you are prior aircraft maintenance or any aircrew AFSC other than FE and maybe Loadmaster. I don't realy care though as I'm almost done with fundies and ready to move on to Randolph. I went by there this weekend and it looks like it will be a much better place to be than Lackland/Kelly.

lphill01
03-07-2011, 03:04 PM
STATUS 5!!!!!!

tampa2champ
03-07-2011, 03:44 PM
Its A Long Wait But!!!

Fundies: August 5
BSOC: August 26
UFC: Not Loaded until July
FTU: N/A

lphill01
03-07-2011, 03:47 PM
Did you just get those today? I'm curious how long down the road my dates will be.

tampa2champ
03-07-2011, 03:55 PM
Did you just get those today? I'm curious how long down the road my dates will be.

I went status (5) and (6) in the same day and that was February 7. one of my buddies got his in December and is going to class in May so i really dont know if there is a way to estimate.

theworkingman
03-07-2011, 04:01 PM
Welcome to the Aug 5 team!

tampa2champ
03-07-2011, 04:04 PM
Welcome to the Aug 5 team!

Thanx!! If you know; how many of you guys are there for the 5 Aug class?

shotdown
03-07-2011, 04:51 PM
Congrats to those selected. It seemed no one was getting any dates there for awhile.

theworkingman
03-07-2011, 04:53 PM
Thanx!! If you know; how many of you guys are there for the 5 Aug class?

Me, you, and SICelement so far on this thread.

IH8EngMTX
03-07-2011, 11:47 PM
Congrats to you guys.

lphill01
03-08-2011, 01:42 PM
Thank you. Do I need to submit for a TS now, or wait until I'm status 6?

Barberakb
03-08-2011, 01:48 PM
For those of you at school without a car. Do they have transportation for you back and forth from class?

rips
03-08-2011, 02:08 PM
anyone know if i can log in and check at home w/o a CAC reader im on leave and dont really wanna go into work and be disappointed ha

theworkingman
03-08-2011, 04:13 PM

No. They wont start the process until you have a RIP to show them its required. What you can do is start gathering information as much as possible according to this form:

http://www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/sf86.pdf

and use it to fill out the e-quips form when the base security manager grants you access to the site.

anyone know if i can log in and check at home w/o a CAC reader im on leave and dont really wanna go into work and be disappointed ha

The only thing I can think of is try to log into your AFPC MyStuff from home and see if they sent you a notification...or hell, just call AFPC and bug them :D

lphill01
03-08-2011, 06:17 PM
Thanks, I just completed my S renewal, so I still have all the info.

IH8EngMTX
03-08-2011, 06:30 PM
For those of you at school without a car. Do they have transportation for you back and forth from class?

I have my truck but a few here for fundies don't have their vehicles. Billeting is close enough to the class for them to walk. I wouldn't recommend it though. If you get put in Kelly you may be SOL if your orders do not authorize you a rental car. Billeting at Randolph is on the same block as the chow hall, class, and the Gym so you would be fine there. The BX and Commissary are on the other side of base though, approx 1.5 miles away.

I'm done with fundies today. Looking forward to BSOC.

tampa2champ
03-08-2011, 07:06 PM
I have the worst short-itus in the world right now!!! I still have five months left until I go to fundies. (IH8EngMTX) if you dont mind me asking, how many miles were you from Lackland and did they give you 5 days of travel?

lphill01
03-08-2011, 07:17 PM
Are they still giving SO incentive pay?

Barberakb
03-08-2011, 07:26 PM
I have the worst short-itus in the world right now!!! I still have five months left until I go to fundies. (IH8EngMTX) if you dont mind me asking, how many miles were you from Lackland and did they give you 5 days of travel?

Why would they give you 5 days of travel???

Barberakb
03-08-2011, 07:26 PM
Are they still giving SO incentive pay?

Yes.........

IH8EngMTX
03-08-2011, 08:04 PM

AETC is the worst for travel. My Formal Training Manager told me the people who cut your orders at AETC are a bunch of civilains who fail to understand military driving restrictions, duty periods, etc. My first day of fundies was 18 Feb. I got my orders on 16 Feb. They (orders) said I couldn't leave until the 17th. I found this unnaceptable as I was driving from Hurlburt Field, 750 miles away. I left on the 17th instead and stayed at an Econo Lodge overnight just inside of Texas for $58 using my own money (I was within 8 hours of Home Station technically). I got up the next morning and drove the rest of the way and arrived at Lackland around 1400, plenty of time to go familiarize myself with Lackland. I brought my wife with me too although I didn't mention that when I checked in. I know another guy who did that as well but he is staying in TLF and came from somewhere in New England. Talk to your Formal Training Manager a few weeks before you leave and maybe they can submit you for a few travel days when they submit the request for your orders to AETC.

Some info to keep in mind:
It may be 80* outside but our classroom felt like it was a meatlocker. I'm so glad I had my Sage Fleece for class. I felt bad for the pipeline kids who weren't issued one but at least it kept (some of) them awake.

It's an AETC environment so no gum, food, sunflower seeds, anything other than water in the classroom. The pipeline kids can't even have 5hr Energy, Red Bull, etc. You do get a 10 min break every hour and lunch was typically an hour and 15min.

The roads around here suck. San Antonio DOT would rather fill in cracks and potholes (when they do get filled in that is) with asphalt than spend the money repaving their crumbling infastructure. I knew my truck needed to have a new alignment before I came but it really needs one now. 36th St on Kelly is the worst.

Bring a GPS if you drive. It is essential to find anything here.

These people can't drive for Sh*t! I'm talking no turn signals, slow driving in the fast lanes, etc. My train horns saved my truck from being sideswiped by another retard driver not looking where he was going this morning.

I'll post more if I think of it.

shamzz
03-08-2011, 08:19 PM
Grats! on being selected. Does anyone selected are 6-year enlistee?

Barberakb
03-08-2011, 08:25 PM

English please

tampa2champ
03-08-2011, 08:31 PM
Why would they give you 5 days of travel???

Here you get five travel days if your tdy is over 17 training days.... Of course i wouldnt use all five days because its only a 24 hour drive, but the more money the better ;-)

tampa2champ
03-08-2011, 08:33 PM
English please

LOL!!! I was trying to decipher that too.

tampa2champ
03-08-2011, 08:34 PM

I am a six year enlistee... I was supposed to reenlist in 2012

theworkingman
03-09-2011, 01:17 AM
Thanks, I just completed my S renewal, so I still have all the info.

Right on, just remember that a TS SSBI is 10yrs back not 7. Although I figure you've been in the service that long since you just renewed so it should be easy.

shotdown
03-09-2011, 02:51 AM
I would. Status 5 means you've been approved an are awaiting a class date.

Yes, I reenlist in 2013.

Barberakb
03-09-2011, 12:04 PM
Here you get five travel days if your tdy is over 17 training days.... Of course i wouldnt use all five days because its only a 24 hour drive, but the more money the better ;-)

Are you sure? I would double check. I was told I get one day from here even if I drive and it's like a 20 hr drive from here. I'm flying so I don't care. Just saying

tampa2champ
03-09-2011, 12:47 PM
Are you sure? I would double check. I was told I get one day from here even if I drive and it's like a 20 hr drive from here. I'm flying so I don't care. Just saying

Yeah i know it sounds ridiculous to get 5 travel days but this is what i was told... I am going to check though because I know how things go; you do what someone tells you and then when the Uncle Sam is taking his money back, you are stuck playing the He said she said game. I guess I just wanted to know if anyone else was told that nonsense.

tampa2champ
03-09-2011, 01:12 PM
AETC is the worst for travel. My Formal Training Manager told me the people who cut your orders at AETC are a bunch of civilains who fail to understand military driving restrictions, duty periods, etc. My first day of fundies was 18 Feb. I got my orders on 16 Feb. They (orders) said I couldn't leave until the 17th. I found this unnaceptable as I was driving from Hurlburt Field, 750 miles away. I left on the 17th instead and stayed at an Econo Lodge overnight just inside of Texas for $58 using my own money (I was within 8 hours of Home Station technically). I got up the next morning and drove the rest of the way and arrived at Lackland around 1400, plenty of time to go familiarize myself with Lackland. I brought my wife with me too although I didn't mention that when I checked in. I know another guy who did that as well but he is staying in TLF and came from somewhere in New England. Talk to your Formal Training Manager a few weeks before you leave and maybe they can submit you for a few travel days when they submit the request for your orders to AETC.

Some info to keep in mind:
It may be 80* outside but our classroom felt like it was a meatlocker. I'm so glad I had my Sage Fleece for class. I felt bad for the pipeline kids who weren't issued one but at least it kept (some of) them awake.

It's an AETC environment so no gum, food, sunflower seeds, anything other than water in the classroom. The pipeline kids can't even have 5hr Energy, Red Bull, etc. You do get a 10 min break every hour and lunch was typically an hour and 15min.

The roads around here suck. San Antonio DOT would rather fill in cracks and potholes (when they do get filled in that is) with asphalt than spend the money repaving their crumbling infastructure. I knew my truck needed to have a new alignment before I came but it really needs one now. 36th St on Kelly is the worst.

Bring a GPS if you drive. It is essential to find anything here.

These people can't drive for Sh*t! I'm talking no turn signals, slow driving in the fast lanes, etc. My train horns saved my truck from being sideswiped by another retard driver not looking where he was going this morning.

I'll post more if I think of it.

Thanx for all the Info.

Barberakb
03-09-2011, 02:56 PM
How are they checking peoples retainability once you get to the school house? I was originally told 36 months now I'm seeing it's 4 years! Just trying to figure this out before I leave. Thanks.

ellisc
03-09-2011, 05:39 PM
Well I am finally done, just graduated RFC and am back at my base waiting for FTU which doesn't start for me until Apr 25. Most others in my class are starting in March but 3 of us had to wait until end of April. I am also the only one in my class going to Cannon! FML!! Everyone else out of the 22 of us half prior/half non prior are going to Creech. In the class behind me it was pretty much the same thing, only 2 are going to Cannon everyone else to Creech. Don't know what's going on with Whiteman I'm sure there pulling from the experienced SO pool to start up that unit.

Just to answer some of the questions I read on here, this was only my experience of course they can change it all by the time some of you go. There was NO PT for priors at Fundies, PT was 3 times a week in BSOC (and it sucked!!), and in RFC it was only mandatory on Wednesday morning for priors and it was on your own you just had to sign in on a sheet and go do your thing, no lets all hold hands and run.

My experience in Fundies was that it was a huge waste of time but as a class we never got any shit from any of the instructiors for being 1U's. Actually they thought it was pretty cool, but they were not able to answer any questions we had about the job. I was able to stay downtown which was very nice only one guy had to stay on base and my experience was it is completly random. I made reservations at Kelly probably 2 months before hand, called them the night before to get directions and they said they were putting me downtown. The prior guy who had to stay on base, made no reservations, hoping they would put him downtown and they ended up giving him a room at Lackland. So who knows!!

I never needed my medical records only my 1042. Don't give them your only copy of your 1042!! I only needed it for Fundies and BSOC. Especially BSOC because medical will come over and make sure it is correct. I must be stamped with "Approved for 1UOX1" somewhere on it. THose that didn't have that no big deal but it was more work for medical, it didn't stop your training or anything. They never asked for it in RFC.

I was accepted with just a Secret clearance. Actually I was very close to needing it redone. I was told that I couldn't start the paperwork until after I graduated class. THIS IS NOT TRUE!! When you go to your security manager with your RIP that is all the proof you need. When I went to BSOC I had to start all of the paperwork, do EQIP, it was such a huge pain in the ass to keep running back and forward because of course they have a million changes you have to make then you gotta do fingerprints. It took me til the day I graduated to get it done!! Get it started before hand so you can just focus on school and not have to worry about it.

I was told and I guess I will see now that I'm back and filed my voucher, that for a TDY you only get one travel day. I was coming from Cali driving by myself so I took my time. The air force is only going to reimburse you for a airline ticket anyway and so that is why you get the one day. The rest of the time is on you. I didn't mind because there was no way I was going to be in TX that long without a car. U don't really need a car at Randolph, but still I didn't want to be stuck on base.

Well if anyone has any questions for me just let me know. I got MQ-1's obviously since i'm going to Cannon and the TDY to Creech seems like it will be pretty cool since we get to live off of the local economy they say a lot of people rent houses or condos. Being that I'm going to Cannon I deserve to have a little fun before I go!! Good luck to everyone!!

tampa2champ
03-09-2011, 06:51 PM
{ElliSC} Congrats on Making it thru!!! I have a million questions and you obviously dont have to answer them but I will try to ask one at a time....lol, at what time did you get your orders?

afcopholtz
03-09-2011, 06:56 PM
Hi all! Quick question! How long did it take from when they told you it was at BPO (Air Staff) to get your acceptance thing! My hubby is sitting at 3!!!!!! STILL!!! I hold back puke on a daily basis waiting for him to IM me and say Yay or Nay....

This will be his 2nd retrain! I am going crazy here. It has been about 9 weeks at BPO...our DEROS is Jun 2011!!! We are overseas!!! HELP!!

Jen

lphill01
03-09-2011, 11:51 PM
My ETP was just approved and I got status 5 on the 7th. I'd been status 3 since Nov 2nd.

IH8EngMTX
03-10-2011, 02:05 AM
ellisc, How much did you average studying a day (or need to) during BSOC? I start on Friday and was curious what to expect since Fundies was easy as a prior aircraft maintainer. How many Blocks is BSOC? Any tips for me and my classmates will be helpful.

As a prior, we had to do PT once a week (wednesday after class, it's supposed to change to thursdays now I believe) with our instructors. It consisted of a few exercises and a 1.5 mile run that was interupted at 1700 for Retreat (it's stupid to even run fast because you will start to cramp while standing at Attention waiting for Retreat to finish).

A note for you guys doing your e-Quips, make sure you have plenty of references for everything because some of the ones you list you may not be able to use. It really makes it easier during your interview (expect 3 hours) if you have everything in order and alternate contacts for your accquaitances and residences. You have to list deployments as a seperate work period as well (military shop A, deployment, back to shop A, PCS, deployment, etc. Each is a seperate job listing).

If someone calls you a Penguin for being a U, just tell them "Call me what you want, just as long as you call me at home!" :P That's something our class started saying to the other aircrew guys in fundies.

turbosmitty
03-10-2011, 03:48 AM
My ETP was just approved and I got status 5 on the 7th. I'd been status 3 since Nov 2nd.

Congratz!! Just prior to my 90 day mark, air staff makes the informed decision on not approving any ETP guys from the 2A3x3 afsc (this guy). Looks like I'll be waiting a little longer than originally anticipated. I was told to re-apply once this mandatory force training is over with. Its all good...I've waited this long...a reply from AFPC like this doesn't phase me.

afcopholtz
03-10-2011, 07:58 AM
I know how the military works...hurry up and wait! But, this is killing me! Right now he has orders to Minot and we REALLY do not want to go there! I know when the retrain drops (approved) that the assignment will disappear but until then I am going crazy waiting.

tampa2champ
03-10-2011, 01:31 PM

Congrats!!!

ellisc
03-10-2011, 03:24 PM
Hey Everyone
As for orders, not sure which ones your talking about but I'm assuming it was the PCS orders. We got orders our orders about a week after graduating BSOC. We actually hadn't even started FTU yet because we had a week break between BSOC and RFC starting. Usually you will get assignment orders during the first week or so of RFC (give or take). All my other orders like for tech school and creech and all of the training came way before I had to leave. I have been lucky to not be one of those people who got orders the day before they left.

As for studying in BSOC. There are 6 blocks but if I'm not mistaken there are only 4 blocks that are testable, I will have to look back to make sure. You will surely need to study but nothing like how they try to make you study in Fundies. I had to work my butt off in fundies just because I had actually no idea about aircraft. To me a plane had a cabin and wings, that was the extent of my knowledge! But in BSOC you have a lot of none testable material so it wasn't too bad, there was many a night all you had to do was go back to your room and chill. I would study maybe an hour or so a night during the testable blocks and then we would usually do a study group a night or two before the test. The first test was only 20 questions but it was very basic info. Block 6 is the one with the most information and has been the one to give people the most problems the instructors said. I think people are just jittery because you test the day before graduation and you have a lot riding on it cause everyone wants to get their wings. I found BSOC was the best of the 3 courses. You finally get to talk to ppl who have actually been SO's, the instructors are awesome. RFC in my opinion is the worst, i hated it but thats just me. RFC is going away for SO's so for some of you who don't have dates for it, you may not be going. The instructors in BSOC said it was going away in about 6 months, so you know how that goes, it could be tomorrow it could be 5 years!

Well hope this was helpful, I don't have anything to do at work now except listen to ppl hate on me because I have wings on my uniform!! So if there are any more questions just let me know, I'm happy to help out.

afcopholtz
03-10-2011, 03:32 PM
Do orders drop as well if the member that is retraining has dependants so the dependants can go to their PCS prior to the member going through all the schools?

ellisc
03-10-2011, 03:41 PM
I have not heard of anyone being able to PCS before the schools, dependents or not. it would probably be possible if your returning from overseas because they get there orders before they leave country. We had one guy coming from England. I'm mil to mil and have kids. So I got orders in Jan but my RNLT date is 15 Aug. So its plenty of time, I mean you have to figure they still have to send you to FTU before you PCS as well. So I'm suppose to graduate FTU 8 Jul so that gives me a little more than a month to get to Cannon. I know everyone's situation is different, but I've never heard of a situation of someone PCSing before the school unless possibly your coming from overseas. But even then the guy we had coming from england was just TDY enroute so his wife and kids were staying with family they had in TX while he was in school.

afcopholtz
03-10-2011, 05:07 PM
I have not heard of anyone being able to PCS before the schools, dependents or not. it would probably be possible if your returning from overseas because they get there orders before they leave country. We had one guy coming from England. I'm mil to mil and have kids. So I got orders in Jan but my RNLT date is 15 Aug. So its plenty of time, I mean you have to figure they still have to send you to FTU before you PCS as well. So I'm suppose to graduate FTU 8 Jul so that gives me a little more than a month to get to Cannon. I know everyone's situation is different, but I've never heard of a situation of someone PCSing before the school unless possibly your coming from overseas. But even then the guy we had coming from england was just TDY enroute so his wife and kids were staying with family they had in TX while he was in school.

Yeah we have a DEROS and I work for the AF as a civ, and I cannot be here without my "sponsor" so asking around, one of my guys at work is retraining as well (into FE) and he is awaiting orders for his follow on base for after tech school.

He may have to sit at Minot for 8 months or so as a cop before he gets his calss dates unless we hear something, I don't know....This was so much more simple when I worked at AFPC!!! (years and years ago, when I was AD AF)

lphill01
03-10-2011, 07:34 PM
Are the ABU wings even out yet? It'd be nice to actually be wearing them between Randolph and FTU.

Thanks for your info ellisc, I'm sure I'll have a few (other than goofy uniform) questions on the horizon, but right now, I'm just getting over the nervousness and getting excited again now that the long wait's over about going. Thanks to all for the congrats! Turbosmitty, sorry to hear that. Be patient and keep trying, and I hope it works out. I'm REALLY hoping I do well in aircrew fundies and BSOC. I have flown airplanes before, I'm studying for private pilot, I flightsim like crazy, and I'm currently a NAVAID technician.

IH8EngMTX
03-10-2011, 08:31 PM
Are the ABU wings even out yet? It'd be nice to actually be wearing them between Randolph and FTU.

Yes. I picked up two packs (4 total) last weekend at the Clothing sales inside the BX on Randolph. I know the Lackland BX has them as well. The silver wings cost $10.30. I think the BDU ones were about $4.50ish a pack.

I'm REALLY hoping I do well in aircrew fundies and BSOC.
With your background, you will find block 2 of fundies completely dull. It's all principles of flight, systems, programs, etc. I'd be surprised if you have to study at all. Block one is like an intro to aircrew, To's and Pubs, Aircrew Training, and Flight Medicine. None of it was hard. I went to class about an hour before we started since I was coming from Kelly and would make note cards and review during that time. I only really studied with some classmates the day before the tests. I scored a 95% on both blocks, could have made a 100% looking back if I had taken my time answering the questions. I'm determined to slow down for BSOC. My instuctor was pretty cool but I think I annoyed him at times since I knew so much of the info already having worked flightline/backshop engine maintenance and having been a TODO for the past two years. I tried to get my PPL years ago but stopped due to finances (college). You will do fine.

I just checked into Randolph and this billetting is so muchbetter. The room is bigger, own bathroom, bigger fridge, better internet (I can get on Steam to play a few games finally!), GYM, Bowling Alley, Class, and Chow Hall are all within like a block of each other.

shotdown
03-11-2011, 05:24 AM
The more you talk about it, the more I want to go. I got about a 1 1/2 months left. Thanks for the info.

curtst
03-11-2011, 05:18 PM
Do orders drop as well if the member that is retraining has dependants so the dependants can go to their PCS prior to the member going through all the schools?

The only people I have seen get orders and PCSed before tech school are the folks coming back from overseas.

afcopholtz
03-11-2011, 06:13 PM
The only people I have seen get orders and PCSed before tech school are the folks coming back from overseas.

See that was what we were being told on this side. I am just getting really nervous because out DEROS is Jun 2011!!! I mean I know we can stay for 6 months past when our Visas expire, but after 4 years here I don't want to! Thanks for your response Curtst!

IH8EngMTX
03-11-2011, 09:07 PM
I can confirm four things I learned today for you guys.

-CDC's should be out in October.
-All fiscal year 2011 slots are taken.
-BSOC class 12 will be the first class that will not have to do RFC.
-This job is going to be fracken awesome!

Slyflyfox
03-11-2011, 09:23 PM
See that was what we were being told on this side. I am just getting really nervous because out DEROS is Jun 2011!!! I mean I know we can stay for 6 months past when our Visas expire, but after 4 years here I don't want to! Thanks for your response Curtst!

Hope you get it man! Trust me... you don't want to come to Minot... I hit my 5 year mark on station here about 3 weeks ago... My wife and I have hated every minute of it. We're having a horrible blizzard right now... all the roads/highways are closed. I am thankful to be getting out of here, and to be starting a new career!!!! Keep on it!

tampa2champ
03-14-2011, 01:46 AM

I just wanted to know what class number you were in... Trying to guage if im going to attend RFC or not. I was kinda looking forward to no CDC's but i guess it was inevitable.

macviso
03-15-2011, 03:44 AM
CDC's in october? Funny how we are in a sheltered world around here being shifties. First I have heard about it. But that usually always the case. Its okay though, terminal starts in September WOOT!

Barberakb
03-15-2011, 12:47 PM
For those of you staying in Lackland or Kelly billeting. Are you driving to Randolph for classes? If so, how long does it take? Thanks.

curtst
03-15-2011, 01:26 PM
For those of you staying in Lackland or Kelly billeting. Are you driving to Randolph for classes? If so, how long does it take? Thanks.

You will be moving to Randolph Billeting since your TDY location has changed. Rooms are really nice at Randolph. Your own bathroom, chow hall is extremely close, classes are close, the bowling alley is across the street. Of course there is no BX or shoppette anywhere close to the rooms for some strange reason.

Barberakb
03-15-2011, 01:28 PM
Ok, thanks. Just curious because a freind told me he called billeting and they booked him at Kelly for the whole 3 months.

curtst
03-15-2011, 01:35 PM
Thats insane. The extra per diem would be nice but the drive according to Google Maps takes about 40-45 mins. When we left Lackland to go to Randolph it took approx 35 mins with smooth traffic flow. So the times that you guys will be leaving to get to class on time there will be traffic and I would expect that 40-45 min time if not longer. I still made around $700 from the TDY time with just partial per diem.

The real money came from the TDY to Creech for FTU. Paid off my wifes car with that money :)

Barberakb
03-15-2011, 01:37 PM
Nice, thanks for the info.

theworkingman
03-15-2011, 02:23 PM
I know this has probably been asked before but I seriously don't feel like reading all 2937 posts...again. Reading through I've noticed several people on this thread who were just starting the process of x-training when posts started in July of 2009 and have since finished and moved onto the operational mission. In the beginning there is always a sense of excitement and relief to be getting out of a career you absolutely despise and then you go through training and you feel like this is going to be the best job ever. My question is: Is the grass really greener? Have you found the sort of satisfaction you were looking for?

I have gathered that like all jobs there are pros (its not my old job, bonus, flying without the danger, putting bombs on target) and cons (contempt from "real" aviators, shift work, long hours, challenges balancing the mission with family life.) What have you gotten out of it though? What are the things that make or break you staying in for another enlistment on a daily basis?

turbosmitty
03-15-2011, 08:33 PM

Thanks for your info ellisc, I'm sure I'll have a few (other than goofy uniform) questions on the horizon, but right now, I'm just getting over the nervousness and getting excited again now that the long wait's over about going. Thanks to all for the congrats! Turbosmitty, sorry to hear that. Be patient and keep trying, and I hope it works out. I'm REALLY hoping I do well in aircrew fundies and BSOC. I have flown airplanes before, I'm studying for private pilot, I flightsim like crazy, and I'm currently a NAVAID technician.

I talked with AFPC today and my retraining package is still open. I'm just waiting for this mandatory retraining in my career field to be over with before air staff will begin taking ETP packages again. No worries...I can wait as long as it takes.

bcarey
03-15-2011, 08:39 PM
Has anybody here retrained from Loadmaster to SO? Job sounds very interesting, but it doesn't sound like I'll be able to get out of being a Load.

IH8EngMTX
03-15-2011, 08:47 PM
workingman, I cant answer your question but looking at your signature block I can tell you that you most likely will not have UFC (now called RFC) as they are doing away with it. I found it quite funny when one instructor asked which of us priors were coming from maintenance backgrounds and about half of us raised our hands, we all were dying to get into this job.

Tampa2champ, I pm'd you but I am in class 9. Class 12 is either the first or last class to have RFC, I can't remember which exactly was said that day as I didn't write it down.

We have one person in our class who is unfortunate to be stationed at Lackland and he has to get up extra early just to drive here and then deal with traffic on the way home. Do not stay at Kelly after fundies. I'm not sure if you could even do that anyway if there is billeting available on Randolph. I would think that would be a fraud, waste, abuse issue with finance. As I an Curtst have said, everything is close by on Randolph, BX/Commissary is like a mile-1.5mi. walk if you dont have a car.

IH8EngMTX
03-15-2011, 08:49 PM
Has anybody here retrained from Loadmaster to SO? Job sounds very interesting, but it doesn't sound like I'll be able to get out of being a Load.

There is someone in my class right now who is a former Loadmaster actually. He got tired of flying on C-130's and said he didn't want to work at UPS as there is little to no civilian loadmaster like jobs.

bcarey
03-15-2011, 09:31 PM
There is someone in my class right now who is a former Loadmaster actually. He got tired of flying on C-130's and said he didn't want to work at UPS as there is little to no civilian loadmaster like jobs.

Nice, that's good to hear. He's not lying, either. Pretty much only contractor jobs out there doing exactly what we do and I don't want to do that. 120k sounds good, but a year away sure doesn't.

Hopefully I can be as lucky as him...

merchman567
03-15-2011, 09:55 PM
So when does the slots start opening up for the next fiscal year. I am just waiting on my physical to come back to me then i can submit everything

theworkingman
03-15-2011, 10:15 PM
So when does the slots start opening up for the next fiscal year. I am just waiting on my physical to come back to me then i can submit everything

Slots usually open up sometime in March or April.

Jumper5
03-15-2011, 11:16 PM
...Have you found the sort of satisfaction you were looking for?

Absolutely. I enjoyed my previous assignments and AFSCs but there is no comparison in terms of job satisfaction. It has to do with having an actual operational mission virtually every day that I am scheduled to work.

I had loads, gunners, and FEs in my retraining group.

curtst
03-16-2011, 01:31 AM
Ok, thanks. Just curious because a freind told me he called billeting and they booked him at Kelly for the whole 3 months.

I'm not sure if you could even do that anyway if there is billeting available on Randolph. I would think that would be a fraud, waste, abuse issue with finance. As I an Curtst have said, everything is close by on Randolph, BX/Commissary is like a mile-1.5mi. walk if you dont have a car.

Yes this. If there is billeting available at Randolph you will have to stay on it unless you have a non-availability letter. But since they have the rooms set aside for students, chances are extremely slim.

My question is: Is the grass really greener? Have you found the sort of satisfaction you were looking for?

So far I am loving the job. I was prior maintenance as a jet engine troop. Hated the job, I had zero job satisfaction. I am currently in upgrade training and only flew one operational mission. Not sure how much of a difference I made that night, but hearing the guys on the ground I was supporting say "Thanks for watching over us" really made me feel real good. So yes, the grass is greener so far.

theworkingman
03-16-2011, 02:41 AM
The funny thing is, I seriously wanted xtrain into MX until I went to ALS and saw how beaten down they were. Nobody I talked to enjoyed their job and they all advised against it. Now that I see how they are treated and the crap they go through Im glad they talked me out of it.

shotdown
03-16-2011, 03:00 AM
Yes this. If there is billeting available at Randolph you will have to stay on it unless you have a non-availability letter. But since they have the rooms set aside for students, chances are extremely slim.

So far I am loving the job. I was prior maintenance as a jet engine troop. Hated the job, I had zero job satisfaction. I am currently in upgrade training and only flew one operational mission. Not sure how much of a difference I made that night, but hearing the guys on the ground I was supporting say "Thanks for watching over us" really made me feel real good. So yes, the grass is greener so far.

The funny thing is, I seriously wanted xtrain into MX until I went to ALS and saw how beaten down they were. Nobody I talked to enjoyed their job and they all advised against it. Now that I see how they are treated and the crap they go through Im glad they talked me out of it.

You guys nailed it. MX gets beat down to meet numbers so there is no job satisfaction. I saw way too many good people get out in MX. I've been doing an office job for the past year and I sure don't miss working on jet engines either.

lphill01
03-16-2011, 01:31 PM
There's a guy in my career field actually trying to go BACK to Maintenance.

Curtst, do you actually get to control the plane or perform any copilot duties during any phases of flight, or just run the cameras and monitor systems?

curtst
03-16-2011, 04:51 PM
There's a guy in my career field actually trying to go BACK to Maintenance.

Curtst, do you actually get to control the plane or perform any copilot duties during any phases of flight, or just run the cameras and monitor systems?

There are some people who really do enjoy maintenance. Always wondered if there is something wrong with them, or me???

I wouldn't really say co-pilot duties. You do back up the pilot with airspace and the radio, and just covering each others butts. For the most part your focus is on the the cameras though and in some circumstances the camera is your only concern and your eyes shouldn't leave that screen for anything.

lphill01
03-16-2011, 04:56 PM
Gotcha. Either way, can't wait!!

hugomk
03-16-2011, 09:19 PM
I know this has probably been asked before but I seriously don't feel like reading all 2937 posts...again. Reading through I've noticed several people on this thread who were just starting the process of x-training when posts started in July of 2009 and have since finished and moved onto the operational mission. In the beginning there is always a sense of excitement and relief to be getting out of a career you absolutely despise and then you go through training and you feel like this is going to be the best job ever. My question is: Is the grass really greener? Have you found the sort of satisfaction you were looking for?

I have gathered that like all jobs there are pros (its not my old job, bonus, flying without the danger, putting bombs on target) and cons (contempt from "real" aviators, shift work, long hours, challenges balancing the mission with family life.) What have you gotten out of it though? What are the things that make or break you staying in for another enlistment on a daily basis?

I crosstrained to this job in 03 from maintenance and has been great ever since. Job satisfaction is awesome knowing that you have contributed something to the fight. I already hit 20 years and enlisted 4 more years because I still like the job.

afcopholtz
03-17-2011, 08:55 AM
Well, still haven't heard squat for hubby! Grrr..

So many x-trainers were COPS???? LOL! Considering this will be hubby's 2nd retrain since he has been in (if he gets picked up)

Barberakb
03-17-2011, 12:15 PM
I crosstrained to this job in 03 from maintenance and has been great ever since. Job satisfaction is awesome knowing that you have contributed something to the fight. I already hit 20 years and enlisted 4 more years because I still like the job.

If you don't mind my asking, what rank are you? If you are a SNCO do you still get to fly the missions? Or do you fly a desk like normal?

hugomk
03-17-2011, 01:46 PM
If you don't mind my asking, what rank are you? If you are a SNCO do you still get to fly the missions? Or do you fly a desk like normal?

E-7 and I still get to fly the mission.

Barberakb
03-17-2011, 01:50 PM
Nice, I like to hear that. Thanks

Slyflyfox
03-17-2011, 05:53 PM
Well, still haven't heard squat for hubby! Grrr..

So many x-trainers were COPS???? LOL! Considering this will be hubby's 2nd retrain since he has been in (if he gets picked up)

Well my buddy I work with (Tampa2champ) and I are Cops. And another guy who is going to be in my classes, (Kjdjr18) is also a Cop, so that's 3 at least. First X-train and FTA for all of us though.

afcopholtz
03-17-2011, 06:12 PM
Well my buddy I work with (Tampa2champ) and I are Cops. And another guy who is going to be in my classes, (Kjdjr18) is also a Cop, so that's 3 at least. First X-train and FTA for all of us though.

Yeah, Hubs is definately not a FTA, he is retraining under NCOCORPS (or whatever) sorry I am dead tired right now! Hopefully we will hear something soon because I found a KickA** job in Vegas!!! Xtreme Couture needs admin support! I have worked for the AF either AD or as a civ for that past 15 years!! Sorry off topic, but I about had a fit when I saw that position open on Monster.com!

Forgot to add, Pete was a comm troop first then vol xtrained to cop (he loves being a cop but needs a change) and now wants to do something new!

lphill01
03-17-2011, 06:31 PM
Status 6!!!

Aircrew Fundies - 3 June 11
BSOC - 24 June 11
UFC - 29 July 11

Slyflyfox
03-17-2011, 06:33 PM
Yeah, Hubs is definately not a FTA, he is retraining under NCOCORPS (or whatever) sorry I am dead tired right now! Hopefully we will hear something soon because I found a KickA** job in Vegas!!! Xtreme Couture needs admin support! I have worked for the AF either AD or as a civ for that past 15 years!! Sorry off topic, but I about had a fit when I saw that position open on Monster.com!

Forgot to add, Pete was a comm troop first then vol xtrained to cop (he loves being a cop but needs a change) and now wants to do something new!

I can understand where he's coming from. These last 5 years have been good but difficult, (especially in Minot) but ultimately rewarding. I will always have appreciation for everyone/everything after this experience. I'm gonna do everything I can to do well in this new career. Good luck to you and your husband, I hope you guys get lucky too.

IH8EngMTX
03-17-2011, 10:30 PM
Status 6!!!

Aircrew Fundies - 3 June 11
BSOC - 24 June 11
UFC - 29 July 11

Congrats. You will not have RFC though. I asked and was told that anyone starting after May 13 will not do RFC. That includes you too Slyflyfox. BSOC will be moving to the newly renovated facility where RFC is currently being taught.

lphill01
03-17-2011, 10:43 PM
It suprises me that they haven't updated the rips, afpc notification, or the ETCA page.

lphill01
03-17-2011, 10:47 PM
Are they making any changes to BSOC other than location?

curtst
03-18-2011, 12:00 AM
If you guys don't have to do RFC count your lucky freakin stars! What a waste of 4 weeks that was.

IH8EngMTX
03-18-2011, 01:36 AM
As far as I know, most of it will be the same. I'll see if I can find out and will let you guys know tomorrow.

afcopholtz
03-18-2011, 08:22 AM
It suprises me that they haven't updated the rips, afpc notification, or the ETCA page.

My buddy at work just got notified last night that he got 1A1 finally! After 2 years! We even had people in my community working it and calling everyone to get it done! I don't know why some folks are getting picked up fast and others aren't?? (I worked at AFPC for 4 years ages ago and it wasn't like this). Congrats to all the folks who did get picked up!!! Fingers are still VERY crossed for my hubby!

lphill01
03-18-2011, 11:11 AM
In my case, the major hangup was my exception to policy letter to release me from my current career field. It was at Air Staff for almost 5 months. I think it also went through the 3D functional during that period.

Slyflyfox
03-18-2011, 02:38 PM
In my case, the major hangup was my exception to policy letter to release me from my current career field. It was at Air Staff for almost 5 months. I think it also went through the 3D functional during that period.

Even though your package was at Air staff for a while, they must have known that you were gonna get picked up, and just had it sitting there waiting. I remember you got your package to Status 3 on Nov 2 the day I got Status 6, (or somewhere around there) and your report dates are sooner than my buddy Tampa2Champ who has them for an Aug 5 2011 Fundies start. He got officially picked up before you, but got dates after you. So, something good was going on with your package behind the scenes since you got such a quick date. They must have known, and saved you an earlier class seat without notifying your right away. Either way, good deal!

lphill01
03-18-2011, 02:43 PM
Yeah, although it definately adds the "oh shit factor" because I was expecting somewhere around late August. But either way, I'm not complaining in the least. Now I'm just curious where I'll be going and what preparations I'll have to make to PCS (first one married).

rips
03-18-2011, 06:13 PM
any one hear any words on when the next slots will be open?

IH8EngMTX
03-19-2011, 12:13 AM
any one hear any words on when the next slots will be open?

It's usually in April. That's not deffinative though.

IH8EngMTX
03-19-2011, 12:19 AM

As far as I know, most of it will be the same. I'll see if I can find out and will let you guys know tomorrow.

I was talking with one of the RFC instructors today and he said that they are adding a little more to BSOC, another week, possibly two. This is so that they can go more in depth on some of the systems, principles, etc. SO's like Curtst would likely agree that this is probably for the better as RFC is deemed a waste of time around here (forums and alluded to in BSOC). RFC is only going away for SO's. Pilots still have to go through it.

lphill01
03-19-2011, 12:27 AM
I wonder if that means BSOC is still going to handle initial issue or if we're gonna have to start fighting our home squadron for it before FTU like the 1A's. My shop can't even afford fuses right now...

Barberakb
03-21-2011, 03:10 AM
Your 1042 (Flight Physical) is good 2 years from the date completed. You're 422 will suffice for the duration of your retraining should you become selected. You will be just fine completing those items now. As far as the actual physical to be completed it's the GBAC physical "Ground Based Aircraft Controller Physical) Ask for the Initial GBAC physical. Like I said earlier, some MDG's are retarded and still do not understand how to process the paperwork correctly. Thank God they got mine correct. It always sucks to know that your future career possibilities are in the hands of these individuals alone. I had to go through a hell of a gauntlet, to get them to help me, and to get it correct. Tsgt's turned me away, a few A1C's were clueless. You have the find that 1 go to guy at the MDG. I got lucky when I found him. He was the main man/workhorse for me. Got the job done. I thanked him personally after getting selected.

Ok so how long are these forms actually good for? Do you have to do these physicals every year or every 2 years?
Most people keep telling me 2 years but I have heard some say 1 year. Thanks.

lphill01
03-21-2011, 03:14 AM
The initial is good for 2 years to cover the training. After that they're annual.

IH8EngMTX
03-21-2011, 11:31 AM
The initial is good for 2 years to cover the training. After that they're annual.

This is correct. They teach you this in Fundies.

Barberakb
03-21-2011, 11:34 AM
This is correct. They teach you this in Fundies.

Well I hope so, because medical keeps telling me the same thing even though they only put that it was good for 1 year. I am gonna be pissed if I have to run around getting a physical during tech school.

curtst
03-21-2011, 12:41 PM
Well I hope so, because medical keeps telling me the same thing even though they only put that it was good for 1 year. I am gonna be pissed if I have to run around getting a physical during tech school.

I was in a similar situation. You will be good. However, once you get to your first base they will probably make you get one done.

turbosmitty
03-21-2011, 11:58 PM
Disapproved as of today :( There are no more "in" slots left in this fiscal year. Called up AFPC to see when the next fiscal years slots will be available and he couldn't give me a date, but he did say sometime in March. I'm assuming he's talking about the FTA slots. Oh well....I'll try again when the SSgt/TSgt slots drop.

lphill01
03-22-2011, 12:19 AM
That sucks Smitty, but at least your med is done so you'll be ahead of the competition when they drop.

IH8EngMTX
03-22-2011, 12:20 AM
I wonder if that means BSOC is still going to handle initial issue or if we're gonna have to start fighting our home squadron for it before FTU like the 1A's. My shop can't even afford fuses right now...

I asked this question today and was told that BSOC will probably not be issuing out the initial 2 flight suits anymore once BSOC changes/RPC is removed. It costs the unit here a ton of money they really dont have just to issue everyone two flight suits, get velcro sewn, patches issued, and the occasional boot issue as well. Your home unit is supposed to issue that to you when you come here but most RA's do not because they don't want to spend the money (~$200/suit) only for you to possibly fail out. I hate it for you guys but you will just have to press the issue with your unit once you are done with BSOC and make them pony up the money for your stuff.

I almost feel bad for my squadron since they have myself and two more guys (Apr 22 fundies class) retraining into this AFSC. The SSBI's alone are costing them around $100K or more. We're AFSOC so they can afford it though!

lphill01
03-22-2011, 12:26 AM
Thanks for the info. Glad I asked. I'm the money guy in my shop so I know the uphill battle I'm in for. I'm Comm in AMC so whatever money doesn't go into MILSTAR or out network gets pushed through a tanker boom somewhere. I'll start pressing my leadership when I get back on Thursday...

lphill01
03-22-2011, 12:39 AM
I'm guessing that means I'll have to order nametags too...

MACsensor
03-22-2011, 12:59 AM
...Most others in my class are starting in March but 3 of us had to wait until end of April. I am also the only one in my class going to Cannon! FML!! Everyone else out of the 22 of us half prior/half non prior are going to Creech. In the class behind me it was pretty much the same thing, only 2 are going to Cannon everyone else to Creech. Don't know what's going on with Whiteman I'm sure there pulling from the experienced SO pool to start up that unit...

No matter what anyone's assignment says now...it can change. The Cannon (AFSOC) assignments are probably a more solid than the ACC assignments, but things change fast and frequently. Just a warning, but don't get too bent out of shape.
Whiteman won't be getting anymore experience anytime soon. Initial cadre is here, we're up an running, and training new guys every day (yes, more training). No experienced inbounds slated for the forseeable future. But then again, that can change too.

MACsensor
03-22-2011, 01:16 AM

No RFC? That's too bad. I've heard the current RFC isn't necessary, but I don't think they should get rid of it-just rewrite the course so that it is useful. There is a lot that could be done. If BSOC is only 3 weeks as it is, I feel there is opportunity for useful training. I know it's a long road, but in my experience we see a lot of guys come through who could use some more training before they get to us at the ops squadrons. We have to make up for shortfalls and push-throughs from the training pipeline. Learn all you can, when you can..don't let up.

curtst
03-22-2011, 03:37 AM
Disapproved as of today :( There are no more "in" slots left in this fiscal year. Called up AFPC to see when the next fiscal years slots will be available and he couldn't give me a date, but he did say sometime in March. I'm assuming he's talking about the FTA slots. Oh well....I'll try again when the SSgt/TSgt slots drop.

Sorry to hear that man. Keep trying though. I expect TSgt slots to drop in June, and SSgt slots to drop in August, shortly after the results of WAPS testing is released. Well, the majority to drop, they can add more slots any time though, so keep checking!!!

turbosmitty
03-22-2011, 06:26 AM
Sorry to hear that man. Keep trying though. I expect TSgt slots to drop in June, and SSgt slots to drop in August, shortly after the results of WAPS testing is released. Well, the majority to drop, they can add more slots any time though, so keep checking!!!

Possibly get a line number for TSgt and submit my package would make the month of June awesome. I'll be checking daily.

Scoop_Jr
03-22-2011, 01:06 PM
So I just got disapproved for not having enough TSgt slots. I really do hate the 49th Med Group, thanks for dragging your feet. It sucks cause I was on top on my med stuf. I wish I could drag my feet, guess I will re apply come Oct. Still remaining postive of getting this cool job.

YaKkO
03-22-2011, 01:09 PM
So I just got disapproved for not having enough TSgt slots. I really do hate the 49th Med Group, thanks for dragging your feet. It sucks cause I was on top on my med stuf. I wish I could drag my feet, guess I will re apply come Oct. Still remaining postive of getting this cool job.

lol. They are dumb as shit over there! Luckily i started my class III with Aviano a year prior to showing up to Holloman...

Just even getting them to do my Pre-SERE med eval was like pulling teeth.

turbosmitty
03-22-2011, 03:57 PM
My retraining package was reactivated this morning!! How many SSgt slots were added? I'm having trouble pulling up the retraining advisory.

curtst
03-22-2011, 04:03 PM
My retraining package was reactivated this morning!! How many SSgt slots were added? I'm having trouble pulling up the retraining advisory.

For whatever reason the advisory isn't working through vMPF. If you go to MYSTUFF through vMPF, then login to that site, do a search for retrain advisory you can get to it from there. It looks different but it works!

turbosmitty
03-22-2011, 04:15 PM
For whatever reason the advisory isn't working through vMPF. If you go to MYSTUFF through vMPF, then login to that site, do a search for retrain advisory you can get to it from there. It looks different but it works!

I'm not at work right now. For some reason AFPC's website isn't loading.

curtst
03-22-2011, 04:27 PM
I'm not at work right now. For some reason AFPC's website isn't loading.

Advisory isn't showing any 1U slots, FTA or otherwise at this time.

afcopholtz
03-22-2011, 06:28 PM
Holy Cow!!! What a up and down day! 1st Hubby says he got diapproved due to no more slots.....3 hours later he is reactivated because more slots dropped!!!! Someone upstairs must have been listening to my prayers!!!!! Yeah, I think they are updating the retraining quotas right now...Pete coudn't get to them either. Geeezzz!!!!! A glimmer of hope!!!!!!!

Jai
03-22-2011, 07:02 PM
Sorry I've been MIA folks, good luck to all those that are still in the hunt, I hope they open up some more slots for you all.
Ih8EngMx -- When you said after May 13th....did you mean the May 13th class will be the last ones doing RFC? I'm in that class so I'm curious if my orders will need to be amended. Thanks for the heads up on the updates...and good job phil....I know you have been here for a really long time, glad to see you accepted, looks like a lot of us will all be down there around the same time, anyone know a good bar?

Jai
03-22-2011, 07:03 PM
Also, can any of you all tell me what the current wash out rate is like at school? Our training manager seems to think it has a high wash out rate but I haven't found anything to support his claim as of yet. How are your current classes doing?

ellisc
03-22-2011, 07:33 PM
Washout for Aircrew Fundies (per instructor) was 10%. We had 10 and lost one kid, but I don't think he even tried. Instructors at BSOC when I went through said they hadn't lost anybody but I hear that someone in the class behind me was pulled out and reclassed. I don't know what is was for RFC, we had one kid fail 2 of the 3 tests but he passed the retests so he graduated. I truly believe you have to TRY to be kicked out, but that's just me.

curtst
03-22-2011, 08:35 PM
Also, can any of you all tell me what the current wash out rate is like at school? Our training manager seems to think it has a high wash out rate but I haven't found anything to support his claim as of yet. How are your current classes doing?

Its low. Important thing is to study. The instructors at all the schools you will attend are great and none of the schools are setup to make you fail. The only way to fail is to not even make an attempt. We did have a few people who failed out of aircrew fundies, none of them were future sensors. In my BSOC class all made it through though one failed the last test but passed on his second attempt. Before that it was a 0% washout rate in BSOC. Not sure what the numbers are since then though.

Do group study, it helps. Just make an attempt and do a little studying everyday to include the weekends and you will be fine. Remember to go out and have fun with the other non-priors though other wise you will just burn yourself out. Get that balance!

IH8EngMTX
03-22-2011, 08:49 PM
Sorry I've been MIA folks, good luck to all those that are still in the hunt, I hope they open up some more slots for you all.
Ih8EngMx -- When you said after May 13th....did you mean the May 13th class will be the last ones doing RFC? I'm in that class so I'm curious if my orders will need to be amended. Thanks for the heads up on the updates...and good job phil....I know you have been here for a really long time, glad to see you accepted, looks like a lot of us will all be down there around the same time, anyone know a good bar?

I honestly do not know. The instructor said there will not be RFC after the May 13 class. You could be the last to do it or the first to not do it. I'll try to get clarification.

Study. It is up to you to succeed but know that everyone is different and retains knowledge differently. I barely studied except for the day prior and day of for the first two Block tests in BSOC and I got 100% on both. I did the same for fundies and got 95% on each of those tests. I just hold onto this info more because I am actually interested in this job and the info so I remember it more. I can't say that about my former job. I can't remember even half of what I learned for that AFSC anymore adn don't care to. Regardless, study, study, study, even if it is just re-reading everything when you get out of class. I plan to study a lot harder for my block 4 test since our class is trying to get all 100% so the instructors will have to take us all out to Olive Garden for dinner on their dime if we do it. Only one class has come close with all 100's and one 95%. I'd hate to be that guy!

We had one pipeline person get recycled this week for a really low test score but it is their fault for not studying. They actaully wanted to be a cop but got this AFSC if you can believe that!

Good luck to those trying to get the new slots that seem to be dropping.

3000th post! Where's my prize?

blueroomer
03-22-2011, 11:51 PM
Wow! 3000 posts! I've been following this tread since Aug 09 and that was also when I started my retraining package. It's been a long road since then but I'm extremely happy to say I graduated BSOC today!

turbosmitty
03-23-2011, 12:18 AM
I honestly do not know. The instructor said there will not be RFC after the May 13 class. You could be the last to do it or the first to not do it. I'll try to get clarification.

Study. It is up to you to succeed but know that everyone is different and retains knowledge differently. I barely studied except for the day prior and day of for the first two Block tests in BSOC and I got 100% on both. I did the same for fundies and got 95% on each of those tests. I just hold onto this info more because I am actually interested in this job and the info so I remember it more. I can't say that about my former job. I can't remember even half of what I learned for that AFSC anymore adn don't care to. Regardless, study, study, study, even if it is just re-reading everything when you get out of class. I plan to study a lot harder for my block 4 test since our class is trying to get all 100% so the instructors will have to take us all out to Olive Garden for dinner on their dime if we do it. Only one class has come close with all 100's and one 95%. I'd hate to be that guy!

We had one pipeline person get recycled this week for a really low test score but it is their fault for not studying. They actaully wanted to be a cop but got this AFSC if you can believe that!

Good luck to those trying to get the new slots that seem to be dropping.

3000th post! Where's my prize?

Its kids like this that really grind my gears! (said with Peter Griffin voice) I'm sure there's a security forces guy/gal that would love to trade places.

Wish prior service members had more priority over the new guys. I know most if not all priors fortunate enough to retrain into this career field wouldn't be taking training lightly. As much of an a$$ pain it can be just being chosen. I'm not worried at all about applying myself. I believe if you want it bad enough, you can accomplish almost anything.

turbosmitty
03-23-2011, 12:20 AM
Wow! 3000 posts! I've been following this tread since Aug 09 and that was also when I started my retraining package. It's been a long road since then but I'm extremely happy to say I graduated BSOC today!

Awesome!!! Congratz!!

YaKkO
03-23-2011, 12:23 AM
Its kids like this that really grind my gears! (said with Peter Griffin voice) I'm sure there's a security forces guy/gal that would love to trade places.

Wish prior service members had more priority over the new guys. I know most if not all priors fortunate enough to retrain into this career field wouldn't be taking training lightly. As much of an a$$ pain it can be just being chosen. I'm not worried at all about applying myself. I believe if you want it bad enough, you can accomplish almost anything.

I wanted to punt the kids in the face that failed outta Fundies when I went through before BFE. Because there is no way you can fail that course if you put forth even the smallest amount of effort.

It's okay though when they are standing at the front gate of Minot saluting MOFO's they will kick themselves in the balls.

Yayo101
03-23-2011, 02:17 PM
Good Morning all!

I’m a second term Airman retraining under the NCORP. I finally received my physical back from the Med group & submitted all my paperwork to AFPC. Now they tell me I need an Exception to Policy Letter(ETP) since my career field is balanced. Has anyone here completed one recently or have a template that I could follow? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!

lphill01
03-23-2011, 02:24 PM
I had to do one to get out of mine. Go to AFKN while it's still open and find the CEA recruiting and retention CoP. They have samples there. Dont copy and paste them, but rewrite it to fit you. The toungue and quill comes in handy too.

afcopholtz
03-23-2011, 03:00 PM
Good Morning all!

I’m a second term Airman retraining under the NCORP. I finally received my physical back from the Med group & submitted all my paperwork to AFPC. Now they tell me I need an Exception to Policy Letter(ETP) since my career field is balanced. Has anyone here completed one recently or have a template that I could follow? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!

Hubby had to do this to, no big deal! Google it, AFwriting.com is pretty good and also the T&Q. I wrote it (in the admin world so I can make it sound good) made sure to incude that although he learned alot in the his current career field and valued the experiance he felt that he could benefit the AF as a valuable and experianced troop..yada yada...BS is a good thing!

Crewdiddy
03-23-2011, 03:41 PM

Oh weird! I started my retraining package Nov 09 and I am still sitting on a status 3, but maybe it because my first case closed from inactivity because the med group took so long. Then, I got couldn't apply because of NCORP. Now it looks like I just started in OCT 10. I will probably have to update my medical if I ever get picked up! Congrats BTW!

Jai
03-23-2011, 06:35 PM
Ok, I'll ask the question on a lot of people's mind but no one has answered yet...why do we start class on a Friday? Do you work through the weekend? My class starts friday the 13th and ends Tueday the 31st, I start class again on 3 Jun whic is another Friday. This is pretty awesome if its a monday - friday gig, if not...oh well, atleast I'll be in class. Did this happen to everyone else as well?

curtst
03-23-2011, 10:13 PM
Ok, I'll ask the question on a lot of people's mind but no one has answered yet...why do we start class on a Friday? Do you work through the weekend? My class starts friday the 13th and ends Tueday the 31st, I start class again on 3 Jun whic is another Friday. This is pretty awesome if its a monday - friday gig, if not...oh well, atleast I'll be in class. Did this happen to everyone else as well?

The classes are Monday - Friday. Just so happens with the last class date this is the earliest they can get another class going. I think mine started on Monday or Tuesday.

lphill01
03-23-2011, 10:29 PM
Mine's a Friday too. Curtst, when you were at FTU, did you wear FTU's patches or Whiteman's? And how long appx was your FTU? How many travel days did you get for all the classes?

curtst
03-23-2011, 10:34 PM
Mine's a Friday too. Curtst, when you were at FTU, did you wear FTU's patches or Whiteman's? And how long appx was your FTU? How many travel days did you get for all the classes?

I went to FTU in Oct, was there through the first week of Jan. Had to be there longer because of weather issues and then xmas, of course the training squadron doesn't fly during that time. You wear the training squadron patches. Only 1 travel day because I had to fly. From Whiteman to Vegas it is about a 24 hr drive and I can't afford to buy the gas, besides they gave us rental cars. The only way they will allow travel days and pay for it is if it cheaper for them to do that than it is to fly you. Depending on where you are at, it is cheaper to fly.

lphill01
03-23-2011, 10:38 PM
That sucks. It'll probably will be cheaper to fly (Scott AFB) but there's no way I want to be there without my car. You were at Creech right? Stayed at Nellis?

curtst
03-23-2011, 10:44 PM
That sucks. It'll probably will be cheaper to fly (Scott AFB) but there's no way I want to be there without my car. You were at Creech right? Stayed at Nellis?

Can always see if they can hook you up with a rental. I was at Creech and staying in Vegas. Folks who retrained don't have to stay on Nellis. First term airmen have to stay on Nellis. Your TDY location is at Creech and there is no billeting on Creech so you have to stay off base. So if you get lucky enough to go to Creech for your TDY then say hello to $71 a day per diem!

curtst
03-23-2011, 10:44 PM

Can always see if they can hook you up with a rental. I was at Creech and staying in Vegas. Folks who retrained don't have to stay on Nellis. First term airmen have to stay on Nellis. Your TDY location is at Creech and there is no billeting on Creech so you have to stay off base. So if you get lucky enough to go to Creech for your TDY then say hello to $71 a day per diem!

lphill01
03-23-2011, 10:50 PM
Fingers crossed!! I'm hoping I get it anyway because I have family in Vegas that I haven't seen since high school. I'm trying to think of questions to ask, but all I come up with are uniform questions. I already know what to expect with school, and PCSing. It's the whole CEA thing that's the new experience... I was hoping for an August date, but now I think I'm glad I'm going in June. I'm excited!

turbosmitty
03-23-2011, 11:16 PM
Good Morning all!

Thanks in advance!!

Be prepared for the wait. When they say 90-120 days....they're not kidding.

IH8EngMTX
03-23-2011, 11:31 PM
I had to do one to get out of mine. Go to AFKN while it's still open and find the CEA recruiting and retention CoP. They have samples there. Dont copy and paste them, but rewrite it to fit you. The toungue and quill comes in handy too.

AFKN got funding for another year so there is no rush.

My classes all started on a Friday as well. The first day is just orientation (BSOC). We actualy got right into the material for Block 1 all day the first Monday and the Block 1 test was the next day. Fundies is half a day of orientation and the rest is starting the material on that first day.

yowazuphan
03-24-2011, 12:40 AM
Hello folks,

I've been trying to get a hold of Lackland lodging but their line seems to be busy all the time. If I had a choice, should I stay at Gateway or Kelly Inn? I'm gonna have my POV so transportation is obviously not an issue. After I complete UAS Fundamentals, do I go back to my home station to PCS out to my next base or do I go straight to either Holloman or Creech for further training?

Aircrew Fundamentals w/o chamber - 24 June 2011
UAS BSOC - 15 Jul 2011
UAS Fundamentals - 18 Aug 11

lphill01
03-24-2011, 12:51 AM
I doubt you'll have a choice. Most people prefer to stay at Kelly for the higher per diem (especially with a POV) but you'd need a non-availability letter from Lackland to authorize staying at Kelly. As for after RFC, Most people have been telling me that you go back to home base for a few weeks then to FTU then back to home base to PCS. You may be going home after BSOC though, appearantly they're doing away with RFC after mid May (see the last few pages of this thread).

lphill01
03-24-2011, 12:54 AM
Curt, did you stay on the Strip or at a more normal place?

turbosmitty
03-24-2011, 01:09 AM
STATUS 5!!!!!!

Going back and looking at your time line Iphill01. Looks like it took you 125 days to go status 5. I'll be at my 120 day mark next week on the 29th:eyebrows. Crossing my fingers....

lphill01
03-24-2011, 01:14 AM
Good luck! I'm curious if they take weekends into account with the 120 day thing.

turbosmitty
03-24-2011, 02:23 AM
Good luck! I'm curious if they take weekends into account with the 120 day thing.

They should...either way i'll be giving AFPC a call on the 29th.

curtst
03-24-2011, 03:52 AM
Curt, did you stay on the Strip or at a more normal place?

I was able to get an apartment in NW Vegas very close to 95. Stayed there until I had to extend my stay then I moved to a Courtyard Inn. There was one guy in our class that stayed on the strip though. Once you get your orders for FTU, assuming you are going to Creech, check the ETCA and contact the registrar she will hook you up with accommodations around the area.

IH8EngMTX
03-24-2011, 11:37 AM
I doubt you'll have a choice. Most people prefer to stay at Kelly for the higher per diem (especially with a POV) but you'd need a non-availability letter from Lackland to authorize staying at Kelly.

The Gateway Inn at Lackland never gave me or any of my classmates a non-availability letter. I know at least a few people just went directly there and had no problems. I've told my co-workers coming in April to just go to Kelly, skip the Gateway Inn altogether.

You wil most likely just go back to your home station after BSOC until you have a FTU date.