PDA

View Full Version : Tell Us: Boots

CommunityEditor
05-29-2009, 12:14 AM
What do you think about switching to green leather boots?

Matai
05-29-2009, 01:01 AM
If you promise not to keep bringing up Uniform changes, I will promise to try and NOT think about it.

Why do we need to keep changing the boots. First to green suede, then back to black, now to green leather?? We can't even where the dang things if we deploy. What is the point?? More wasted money...What about excellence in all we do? AFSO21?? Anyone? Seriously...whoever is getting their EPR/OPR Bullets for these changes ought to just get fired.

MrMiracle
05-29-2009, 01:22 AM
Utterly pointless. The uniform should not require this degree of micro-management. We've got classic black, tan suede and green suede, and not enough of any of the three to shoe the entire force.

Pick one that's useful (I like tan) and stick with it. Save some dough.

Silver Fox
05-29-2009, 01:26 AM
Dear AF Leadership:

Take the talking points for green boots of any kind, suede, leather, etc.... AND THROW THEM IN THE SHREDDER. PLEASE.

If you guys listen to anything we tell you, please get these green boots out of your minds and just stick with the good ol' tried and true tan boots worn by EVERY OTHER branch of the service excluding the Coast Guard (and they wear them in CENTCOM as well...). They have airplane mechanics too, all of them, and for some reason we're the only ones that are whining about boots being staind. It's the only authorized boot in the AOR from what I understand, and this idea that a green boot of any type looks good is unfounded. This is the most pointless and ugliest uniform idea we've implemented yet. I refuse to buy the green boots. If staind boots on the flight line are that big of an issue, those units need to reimburse their folks for boots or issue a work boot to be worn ONLY on the flight line while working...

Q1Checkride
05-29-2009, 02:13 AM

http://img115.imageshack.us/img115/232/n220463698920191.jpg

BigBaze
05-29-2009, 02:53 AM
Not in AOR : Black boots or tan
In AOR : Tan

as in the words of Ben Stein: "Wowwww"

Smeghead
05-29-2009, 04:09 AM

Is this something being considered or are you just stirring the pot and giving the Uniform board stupid ideas?

Shrike
05-29-2009, 07:54 AM

<Queue Sam Kinison yelling. Repeat for 29 hours straight.>

MACHINE666
05-29-2009, 11:01 AM

*LOL*

This post just made my day ~ ! :D

MACHINE666
05-29-2009, 11:13 AM
I think hot pink leather boots would go better with our ABUs......:D

Shrike
05-29-2009, 11:39 AM
*LOL*

This post just made my day ~ ! :D

Glad to contribute to your well-being!

:)

jason0926
05-29-2009, 12:40 PM
Great question. Here is a great answer--Who cares anymore. We want to go back to basics/heritage yet we continue changing this piece of crap heavy A** uniform. Letting BDU wearers wear green boots was retarted. If you are transitioning a uniform you should be wearing either or. Not a little of both combined. Also should have had all accessories (Parka etc. )avaliable at the same time the uniform came out. Furthermore, ABUs camoflauge with nothing unless you are in a blacked out room with no ambient light. I believe I speak for many when I say, Who cares anymore. Make the boots tie dyed or polka dotted for all I care

BRUWIN
05-29-2009, 05:02 PM
I'm ok with green boots as long as they have something reflective sewn into them.

Rev Mike Large
05-29-2009, 05:13 PM
http://img115.imageshack.us/img115/232/n220463698920191.jpg

Hilarious!

Rev Mike Large
05-29-2009, 05:14 PM

RIP, Sam... AWESOME!!

ringjamesa
05-29-2009, 05:41 PM
$%#$^$#!! $%@#$^$!!! $%@^#$%&!!! $^^#$%&#$%&!!!! (&(&*&*%^#%!!!! $^)(&%#!!!!
Ok, got that out of my system. 2 things. First this can only be the brainchild of someone who wants a star or a chief who misses the spitshine. Second and most importantly, if they can't even make enough uniforms/boots to supply the AF, where in the $@$%^%&$ are we supposed to get the mother$#%@#$ing green $#@$^@ shoe $^@$^ing polish to make the ^&#$%&% things %^^#$%^$ shine.

imported_blacksheep1208
05-30-2009, 01:10 AM
Utterly pointless. The uniform should not require this degree of micro-management. We've got classic black, tan suede and green suede, and not enough of any of the three to shoe the entire force.

Pick one that's useful (I like tan) and stick with it. Save some dough.

Do we really not have enough of the green boots for everyone? I only wear the tan ones because sometimes I feel like it. I have 2 pairs of green ones from deploying and the clothing sales here has had the boots for over a year. What base is left that doesn't have the green boots for sale?

imported_Red Dragon
05-30-2009, 01:25 AM
Boots? Good question, but ya'll need to have a better discussion about a hat that is GAY (the Army beret). All's I'm saying is that a GAY hat is more disturbing than boot color.

jason0926
05-30-2009, 01:26 AM
Just curious---Why would you get green boots for a deployment? And last time I heard, they were no longer going to the green boots (not for posotive on that)

jason0926
05-30-2009, 01:29 AM
Boots? Good question, but ya'll need to have a better discussion about a hat that is GAY (the Army beret). All's I'm saying is that a GAY hat is more disturbing than boot color.

Not when the color of the boot is f*ing green. The carpet at work is not sage green. Therefore our boots will never blend in with our natural surroundings. There are at least some sand colored carpets. not sage green tho

imported_Red Dragon
05-30-2009, 01:58 AM
Not when the color of the boot is f*ing green. The carpet at work is not sage green. Therefore our boots will never blend in with our natural surroundings. There are at least some sand colored carpets. not sage green tho

No offense Bro, but the ABU is almost as ridiculous as the ACU (Army Combat Abortion). Given the choice, I'd wear the Air Force uniform and not the Army hat and abortion uniform.

bluegreenish
05-30-2009, 05:20 AM
If we have so much money we do not know in what else to spend it, then sure why not spend it on changing boots every three years.

technomage1
05-30-2009, 07:53 AM
I prefer the tan ones. Those in dirty jobs (such as aircraft maint, or transportation mechanic) can be issued either suitable covers or change boots at work if they don't like walking around stained.

I confess a limited patience for whining about the boots. You don't hear the docs downrange complaining about the stains they get on their boots, and those are much worse in terms of substance and removability than oil, etc. They just change boots before they leave the hospital so they don't freak out the entire base.

Combat correspondent
05-30-2009, 12:31 PM
I prefer the tan ones. Those in dirty jobs (such as aircraft maint, or transportation mechanic) can be issued either suitable covers or change boots at work if they don't like walking around stained.

I confess a limited patience for whining about the boots. You don't hear the docs downrange complaining about the stains they get on their boots, and those are much worse in terms of substance and removability than oil, etc. They just change boots before they leave the hospital so they don't freak out the entire base.

Never thought about the Doc part - funny!

FLAPS
05-30-2009, 01:33 PM
Those in dirty jobs (such as aircraft maint, or transportation mechanic) can be issued either suitable covers or change boots at work if they don't like walking around stained.

Having to change your boots when coming or going from work is a huge waste of time! But now that we've given folks who have messy jobs the option of wearing black boots (only at work) the uniform nazis will surely harass anybody they see on base with messy green or tan boots.

It's kind of funny that one of the biggest selling points with going to the ABU was the permanant press "wash and wear" feature. Now that the AF is switching to a lighter weight, non-permanant press uniform we will be back to square one. No, actually it will be worse. At least with BDUs folks didn't have to change boots just to do their jobs...

technomage1
05-30-2009, 03:08 PM
Having to change your boots when coming or going from work is a huge waste of time! But now that we've given folks who have messy jobs the option of wearing black boots (only at work) the uniform nazis will surely harass anybody they see on base with messy green or tan boots.

It takes all of 5 minutes to change your boots (and that includes before and after work changing). It is no different than medical/dental changing into and out of scrubs, or vehicle mechanics changing in and out of overalls, or cops changing in and out of guard mount boots, which they all do today.

I'll grant you that it is a tradeoff between apperance and time, but other career fields spend much longer changing in and out of things - and have for years - without complaint. And, really, I'd think in the grand scheme of things that it would take less time to change boots than it would to polish the old black leather ones every night after you got engine oil, etc on them.

FLAPS
05-30-2009, 03:47 PM
It takes all of 5 minutes to change your boots (and that includes before and after work changing). It is no different than medical/dental changing into and out of scrubs, or vehicle mechanics changing in and out of overalls, or cops changing in and out of guard mount boots, which they all do today.

I'll grant you that it is a tradeoff between apperance and time, but other career fields spend much longer changing in and out of things - and have for years - without complaint. And, really, I'd think in the grand scheme of things that it would take less time to change boots than it would to polish the old black leather ones every night after you got engine oil, etc on them.

No, it's still a waste of time and is not as simple as five minutes per day. We are talking about changing footwear everytime our guys go to the chow hall, appointments, lunch, etc, etc. As for shining boots, the requirement has never been more than to keep them black...at least that's how I and my fellow maintainers have done it since entering the AF in '87.

AF 36-2903
Table 2.2. Men’s Battle Dress Uniform.

Combat Boots: Black, with or without safety toe, plain rounded toe or rounded capped toe
with or without perforated seam. Zipper or elastic inserts optional, smooth
or scotch-grained leather or man-made material, and may have a high gloss
or patent finish, optional.

Bottom line is things should be simpler, not harder...which is exactly what AFSO 21 is all about. Let's make it work for us!

imported_blacksheep1208
05-30-2009, 06:44 PM
Just curious---Why would you get green boots for a deployment? And last time I heard, they were no longer going to the green boots (not for posotive on that)

Because that is what they stock at the LCI store on base. Green boots are part of the uniform so that's what you get. I didn't deply wearing DCU's, I deployed with ABU's. However, the army gives out tan boots as part of the RFI issue at CST to airmen filling ILO slots. Or at least they did a year ago when I was at CST.

MaintChief
05-30-2009, 06:54 PM

It's kind of funny that one of the biggest selling points with going to the ABU was the permanant press "wash and wear" feature. Now that the AF is switching to a lighter weight, non-permanant press uniform we will be back to square one. No, actually it will be worse. At least with BDUs folks didn't have to change boots just to do their jobs...

You are 100% correct. I wear the tan boots with my ABU's, I refuse to wear those green abortions. My tan boots look like shit and I'm beside myself waiting for a uniform Nazi to confront me about them...

technomage1
05-30-2009, 07:49 PM
No, it's still a waste of time and is not as simple as five minutes per day. We are talking about changing footwear everytime our guys go to the chow hall, appointments, lunch, etc, etc. As for shining boots, the requirement has never been more than to keep them black...at least that's how I and my fellow maintainers have done it since entering the AF in '87.

And how is this is any different than the medical/dental and vehicle mechanics, etc doing the same thing? The only difference is that they've done it for years and they're used to it. Now the flight line has to do the same and they're complaining - which causes the rest of us who have dealt with specialty uniform items for years to roll our eyes.

I agree that life should be simpler, but I don't think for the average troop switching back to black leather will be simpler. The basic requirement for black leather may be to keep it black, that's true. But in most career fields, if you want to go above and beyond (and get above a 3 on your EPR), those boots better have a shine to them. In the end, it will be a choice for the AF to go back to black leather and create more work for the majority of us who are better off in suede boots, or the maintainers will have to change when leaving the shop. If you're talking numbers alone I'd think the suede boots would be a winner, especially given their use by the other services (who also have mechanics, etc, like we do and somehow manage).

I admit that any item that is used by the entire AF is hard to standardize, especially when you're talking about work related items, since we do such a wide variety of things.

FLAPS
05-30-2009, 08:14 PM
And how is this is any different than the medical/dental and vehicle mechanics, etc doing the same thing? The only difference is that they've done it for years and they're used to it.

Naturally, if I do something stupid for years I'll get used to it. Maybe it just takes a maintainer forced to do something stupid only once to realize it's worth raising the red flag! :)

BISSBOSS
05-31-2009, 07:23 AM
I find two things very interesting...

1. The project officer making the statement is a 2nd Lt. Loads of experience there...

2. In the digital age, the Air Force can't come up with a picture of these boots for release?!?

I think they have their answer on how the boots will be accepted by the general USAF population! My guess is that the boots will be hideous, expensive and uncomfortable. They will be made available to those working in industrial areas and thus victory will be declared!

Just my two cents.

BTW - These are the ones I wear:

http://www.safetyshoes.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10051&storeId=10001&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=10122&productId=26107

-BB-

FLAPS
05-31-2009, 12:20 PM
I find two things very interesting...

1. The project officer making the statement is a 2nd Lt. Loads of experience there...

I guess you're assuming he wasn't a 15-yr MSgt prior to commissioning... As for the converse boots you wear, I wear those (w/safety toe) too. VERY comfortable boots...almost like sneakers.

ender9492
05-31-2009, 06:47 PM
What I don't understand, is why the AF is wasting time and resources on "re-inventing the wheel." The tan boots have been around for a couple of decades, and have already been proven to be effective, not to mention that they are more readily available, so why is the AF trying to waste money creating a similar-yet-less-effective boot? The Army has been using the tan suede boots for a few years, and I've never heard them complaining about stain-resistant problems, or full-grain vs. suede, or anything of that sort. I personally prefer to wear the tan boots with my ABU's, and if I could wear them in my flight suit I would.
I really cannot express my frustration at how the Air Force is quickly becoming one of the biggest examples of "fraud, waste, and abuse," when it comes to the development of our uniform items. The materials and technology is out there, so quit trying to re-invent something that has already been proven effective!

technomage1
05-31-2009, 08:32 PM
Naturally, if I do something stupid for years I'll get used to it. Maybe it just takes a maintainer forced to do something stupid only once to realize it's worth raising the red flag! :)

That's just it - how is it stupid? If I dirty my clothes at home doing a job, I change before I go out and about. How is it any different in uniform? I mean, if you wear gloves or PPE such as safety glasses on the job, do you put them on and take them off at work? Of course you do. It's no different for any career field that trashes their uniforms routinely - you change before and after work. It's just a part of the job and nothing to whine about.

BRUWIN
06-01-2009, 07:56 AM
No, it's still a waste of time and is not as simple as five minutes per day. We are talking about changing footwear everytime our guys go to the chow hall, appointments, lunch, etc, etc.

You guys have changed your tune...a few months ago none of you maintainers had any time to do that stuff in the course of your busy day. Hell, last I heard you guys have a hard enough finding time to change into your running shoes for PT. Or who knows...maybe you guys were just whining that's it's too hard tying your running shoes up while simuntanously eating a Twinkie. It's getting hard to keep track of all the maintainer gripes these days. You guys should have your suggestion box sent to the Pentagon weekly.

mfjdspence
06-01-2009, 10:21 AM
You know...I have read alot about Maintainers being the only one's complaining about their boots getting oil on them or not being easy to clean. Maybe there is a problem within your ranks that needs to take a page out of the Civil Engineering book of, "Who Cares". CE troops consistently have everything from mud, to oil, to crap stuck on their shoes, but you never hear them complaining about the sand colored boots now that we all have them. By and large these folks have not complained because they have done the only thing that makes sense...have 2 pairs of boots. One for PRETTY BOY FORMATION times and one for work. Personally, I like the sand colored boots. I have never had an issue with cleaning mine though I would admit there are some permanent stains on it from oil and from other hazards on the job, but it is part of the job. None of us want to go back to the spit and polish days, but if people keep complaining instead of having a modicum of common sense, we'll be just as unhappy and miserable as we once were.

Next argument is going to be about how the cotton ABU's don't have that permanent press look and need to be ironed. Dang folks, can't you leave well enough alone so those of us who have a dirty job can do it without having one of you point that we look like crap after just crawling out of a manhole?

NFCstang
06-01-2009, 02:49 PM
You are 100% correct. I wear the tan boots with my ABU's, I refuse to wear those green abortions. My tan boots look like shit and I'm beside myself waiting for a uniform Nazi to confront me about them...

I actually had someone do it to me on Friday.

I told them "Thanks for your concern, but the wear date for the green boots is still a ways off."

Rev Mike Large
06-01-2009, 07:53 PM

When said confrontation occurs, MaintChief, please be sure to post the play-by-play for our enjoyment!

imported_Sgt HULK
06-01-2009, 09:20 PM
i think they should just stick with the freaking black these goddamn kids need some discipline and taking away the spit shine is just another reason to baby these guys.

the whole uniform change was stupid anywho. How do I apply for job of sitting in the office f'ing shit up for everyone else and creating new bs to screw up.

tan in the desert and black over here I cannotimagine why this is so freakin hard

CMSBROWN
06-01-2009, 09:28 PM
i think they should just stick with the freaking black these goddamn kids need some discipline and taking away the spit shine is just another reason to baby these guys.

MILE HIGH SALUTE! :D

imported_AFKILO7
06-01-2009, 09:32 PM
I love the tan boots...I have three pair of tan boots and three pair of the blue/green boots. I wear the tan boots because they are more comfortable and they're not ugly. Of course with both types of boots I have stains...whether it is blood, dog piss, dog shit, anal sak yuk, mud, and grass stains. I have had someone ask me if that was dog shit on my boot (while I am standing with my dog) and I said nope...that is human poop. And walked off.

imported_Sgt HULK
06-01-2009, 09:38 PM
I for one still have the BDU and will have it until i complete retrain. the black boot his hot shit when its polished up nice and yes I am a maintainer so I have to do it nightly but whatever.

once i leave for tech school this september ill grab the abu and get my pretty uniform that wont get dirty ;)

CMSBROWN
06-01-2009, 09:44 PM
I have had someone ask me if that was dog shit on my boot (while I am standing with my dog) and I said nope...that is human poop. And walked off.

Would have like to see the look on their face when you said that. LOL!

CMSBROWN
06-01-2009, 09:45 PM
I for one still have the BDU and will have it until i complete retrain. the black boot his hot shit when its polished up nice and yes I am a maintainer so I have to do it nightly but whatever.

once i leave for tech school this september ill grab the abu and get my pretty uniform that wont get dirty ;)

Awesome....before we changed uniforms and went to Iraq...my guys all were still in BDU's and always spitshined here boots. I agree they look awesome if you have the skill. :cool:

Measure Man
06-02-2009, 01:49 PM

funny, I don't think about it at all.

Max Power
06-02-2009, 03:39 PM

I think about how I'm going to miss my desert boots when we hit 2011.

CommunityEditor
06-02-2009, 04:59 PM
AF reboots for sage green that repels stains (http://www.airforcetimes.com/news/2009/05/airforce_green_boots_060809w/)

Third time’s the charm. Or is it always?

The Air Force Uniform Office is taking another stab at finding a sage-green boot that stays clean.

This time, though, the boot is made of full-grain leather, not suede like the other two versions that soaked up stains. It’ll be smooth like the black boot but with a matte finish that doesn’t have to be polished.

“We’re not going back to shiny,” said 2nd Lt. Ashley Hawkes, a project manager for the boots, intended to be worn with the airman battle uniform.

The Uniform Office couldn’t provide a picture of the boot, which will be tried out this summer by 200 airmen at Luke Air Force Base, Ariz., Hawkes said.

Most of the airmen work on the F-16 Fighting Falcon and get dirty on the job. Maintainers complained the most about how badly the suede boots stained and how hard they were to clean, she said.

Each airman will get one pair of boots to wear for 45 days, starting in late July or early August, Hawkes said. The boots are made by four manufacturers and come in hot weather and temperate weather designs. One style has rubber toe and heal protectors.

After the wear test, the airmen will weigh in on the stain resistance, ease of care, appearance and suitability of material to withstand their jobs’ daily rigors. Among the concerns is whether that matte finish will hold up without polishing.

If the boot gets good grades, Air Force officials have to decide whether to issue the boots to all airmen or only to those who work in industrial areas.

Earlier this year, the Air Force wear-tested a sage green suede boot that the service hoped would end complaints of how easily the original boots absorbed fluids.

Airmen panned the second-generation suede boot, too, and the Uniform Office’s analysis of returned boots showed they didn’t meet Air Force expectations, Hawkes said.

The sage green suede boots were intended to be easier to maintain than the black leather boots they replaced. Commanders touted how suede would need no polishing.

As airmen started switching to the digital camouflaged ABU two years ago, they were expected to wear the green sage suede boot.

It wasn’t long, however, before reports from the field began coming in about how prone the suede boots were to stains. Dirt, grass, oil — even coffee and soft drinks — marred the boots.

As a temporary fix, Air Force Chief of Staff Gen. Norton Schwartz told airmen working in industrial areas that they could go back to wearing black leather boots with the ABU as long as they had their major command’s OK.

Another option for airmen who want nothing to do with sage green boots is to wear the woodland camouflaged battle dress uniform for two more years. Black boots are the standard for the BDU, which won’t be phased out until 2011.

Comm Chief
06-02-2009, 09:24 PM
Black boots do not look good with the ABU....stick with desert boots.

imported_LOAL-D
06-02-2009, 09:58 PM
How bout some combat Birkenstocks? ;)

MACHINE666
06-03-2009, 06:41 AM
I love the tan boots...I have three pair of tan boots and three pair of the blue/green boots. I wear the tan boots because they are more comfortable and they're not ugly. Of course with both types of boots I have stains...whether it is blood, dog piss, dog shit, anal sak yuk, mud, and grass stains. I have had someone ask me if that was dog shit on my boot (while I am standing with my dog) and I said nope...that is human poop. And walked off.

Heh. Dude you're so gross you're funny! Rock. :D

Now the only thing better to do is to wear those same boots to some boring meeting that you have to suffer through, after you've been sweating in them all day, and it's been really really hot outside. I guarantee you that the meeeting will be over in 5 minutes or less! :D

MACHINE666
06-03-2009, 06:42 AM
How bout some combat Birkenstocks? ;)

I was thinking more of those gay Croc sandal things that I see all the kids wearing nowadays. I've seen some rather interesting clothing combinations worn with those things! :rolleyes:

imported_Hairy_Donut
06-03-2009, 02:48 PM
Black pumps would be fashionable with the ABU,

technomage1
06-04-2009, 05:51 AM
You know...I have read alot about Maintainers being the only one's complaining about their boots getting oil on them or not being easy to clean. Maybe there is a problem within your ranks that needs to take a page out of the Civil Engineering book of, "Who Cares". CE troops consistently have everything from mud, to oil, to crap stuck on their shoes, but you never hear them complaining about the sand colored boots now that we all have them.

The CE squadron at my base started allowing the wear of black boots last month. So far, not 1 person has taken them up on it, and everyone in the squadron is wearing ABUs. They made the choice instead of having to fiddle with boot polish and the like to simply have 2 pairs of boots.

Aitrus
06-04-2009, 02:28 PM
I love the CE troops' mindset. "Who Cares? So long as we get the job done, it doesn't matter what we look like." That's the kind of attitude that keeps the Air Force from falling apart from spending too much time admiring itself in the mirror and on TV. They get the mission done.

Which would you rather have - a spit-shiny troop standing in a puddle on the floor whilst frantically reading an AFI with tools scattered all over the place and a godawful smell permeating the air? Or would you rather have the same toilet fixed in 15 min by a knowledgable and capable troop that meets the minimum uniform standards? Nevermind that said commode was the same one - the second troop had to fix it after the first one "repaired" it the day before. I've seen it happen.

FoReal808
06-04-2009, 11:28 PM
I think that the people responsible for the ABU's have failed us. Your uniform is something that you take pride in and think of as an honor to wear. Well how can we when we are the laughing stock of the armed forces. Sage green, or any shade of green isn't something that any of us wanted. The Army and Marine Corps got it right. They both have aviation units that work under the same conditions as us and you don't see them complaining. To sum it up the boot is just plain ugly and a waiste of money. Yes, it isn't a fashion show but we could have saved the money and time by picking between the tan boots already mass produced or followed suit with the Marine Corps version. Even our ABU's are horrible. None of the pockets on the ABU tops are functionable. Their openings and locations make it hard to use. Inverted pockets on the chest and on the arms should be the norm. We waste even more money by making two versions. Come on people. In an effort to be so unique these people have actually made things worse. Between the heavy and hot Top, to the ugly boots I think they need to hear the voices of people on the flight line and not of those that write their OPR's. ENOUGH with the SAGE GREEN BOOTS! and please fix the ABU tops as well.

imported_Modus
06-05-2009, 12:25 AM
Most of the Army guys I deployed with hate their uniform. They would actually swap if they could.

imported_LOAL-D
06-05-2009, 12:38 AM
i'm still waiting on the filght suits with crapper flaps! :tongue:

Venus
06-05-2009, 12:44 AM
i'm still waiting on the filght suits with crapper flaps! :tongue:

It would be a good idea to adopt the Army 2 Nomex piece flight suits the soldiers wear it would be more functionial for females to use the lav.For the boot thing, go to a Viet nam type jungle boot with black leather and sage green canvas ankle.

Sgt Skilcraft
06-08-2009, 10:00 AM

Green boots? Not says I. I fix C-17's and C-5's, and believe when i say, the job dont get any nastier. I wear my tan boots to work everyday and they get the job done. whoever came up with an idea for a green boot was an idiot in my personal opinion. I understand that some of you sit in an office all day and worry about how your boots look, but to the real Air Force ,(the flight-line) all we care about is fixing and flying airplanes, and the occasional smoke break. I'm sorry, but if your Air Force career consists of trying to figure out which boots to wear or what we do on the flightline, you are in the wrong business. Here is a novel idea, tell everybody in the Air Force that we can only wear tan boots. Come up with an descent winter/waterproof tan boot. only issue it to those who work outside of offices (office weenies gotta pay), stop giving awayh the new gortex items until every aircraft maintainer in the Force hase one, and go back to your office. It sickens me how soft the air Force has become. Wasting millinos of dollars on PT uniforms, green boots, and Heritage coats. How about taking all that money that i being wasted, buying some descent tools to fix planes with, put more crew chiefs in the Air Force, and most important stop looking to office weenies for advice on anything. If they dont either fly or fix airplanes, their opinion doesnt count anyway. Green leather boots? Not says I. Not says the fashion police.

technomage1
06-08-2009, 11:20 AM
Green boots? Not says I. I fix C-17's and C-5's, and believe when i say, the job dont get any nastier. I wear my tan boots to work everyday and they get the job done. whoever came up with an idea for a green boot was an idiot in my personal opinion. I understand that some of you sit in an office all day and worry about how your boots look, but to the real Air Force ,(the flight-line) all we care about is fixing and flying airplanes, and the occasional smoke break. I'm sorry, but if your Air Force career consists of trying to figure out which boots to wear or what we do on the flightline, you are in the wrong business. Here is a novel idea, tell everybody in the Air Force that we can only wear tan boots. Come up with an descent winter/waterproof tan boot. only issue it to those who work outside of offices (office weenies gotta pay), stop giving awayh the new gortex items until every aircraft maintainer in the Force hase one, and go back to your office. It sickens me how soft the air Force has become. Wasting millinos of dollars on PT uniforms, green boots, and Heritage coats. How about taking all that money that i being wasted, buying some descent tools to fix planes with, put more crew chiefs in the Air Force, and most important stop looking to office weenies for advice on anything. If they dont either fly or fix airplanes, their opinion doesnt count anyway. Green leather boots? Not says I. Not says the fashion police.

I agree with you, but the maintainers (not office people) have been the biggest push switching. I don't agree with them, but that is the truth of the matter.

Just to be clear, I only agree with you on the boot issue. Your holier than thou flightline is best attitude stinks.

Shrike
06-08-2009, 11:27 AM
I agree with you, but the maintainers (not office people) have been the biggest push switching. I don't agree with them, but that is the truth of the matter.

I agree with him except for this statement: "If they dont either fly or fix airplanes, their opinion doesnt count anyway."

That's just plain ignorant.

Your_Name_Here
06-08-2009, 01:38 PM

Dude, does your MOM know you're trying to perpetrate being an AD/AF mbr?:rolleyes: If so, I bet they're brand spank-me new "butterfly-wings" you're rocking. In that case I can understand from whence your silly notions come from. Look: Tech School's over; you can take off the rope now. One day you'll realize just how immature you sound. Until then you just concentrate on your duties and your UGT.
One more thing: more often than you'll ever know, MX leadership elements AF-wide, have to make tough calls regarding whether to fund A/C parts--or issue outergarments; usually A/C parts win out, from what I hear. Cheers!

imported_blacksheep1208
06-08-2009, 09:38 PM

Thanks for letting me know I'm not important. I'll make sure the next time I come accross intel that can keep your aircraft out of danger that I remember that I don't matter. So you're jealous of people that don't work outside, we apologize that you have a job to do and it includes you getting dirty. You really have no idea about the big picture at all do you?

Max Power
06-08-2009, 11:22 PM
Thanks for letting me know I'm not important. I'll make sure the next time I come accross intel that can keep your aircraft out of danger that I remember that I don't matter. So you're jealous of people that don't work outside, we apologize that you have a job to do and it includes you getting dirty. You really have no idea about the big picture at all do you?

At least you know you're not important now.

Smeghead
06-09-2009, 04:04 AM
... but to the real Air Force ,(the flight-line) ...

Spoken like true maintainer, and you wonder why people call y'all whinin' bitches. Here's a clue for you son--you're support. Just like that SrA in the chowhall, or the MPF, or finance, or the Med Grp, or JAG. Get it? You're support like the rest of us. You don't fly, you support the flying mission. Get over what they told you in tech school. You are not the tip of the spear. You're just a piece of the big, hard shaft.

Shrike
06-09-2009, 06:34 AM
Spoken like true maintainer, and you wonder why people call y'all whinin' bitches. Here's a clue for you son--you're support. Just like that SrA in the chowhall, or the MPF, or finance, or the Med Grp, or JAG. Get it? You're support like the rest of us. You don't fly, you support the flying mission. Get over what they told you in tech school. You are not the tip of the spear. You're just a piece of the big, hard shaft.

<smiling as I wipe coffee off of my monitor>

That's a great line!

Aircraft maintenance - just like about 90% of the jobs in the USAF - could be contracted out tomorrow with nary an affect on the mission. So, Sgt. Skilcraft, you as an aircraft maintainer are just as invaluable as the loggie at HQ, the help desk airman, the SSgt that's driving the street sweeper, the chow hall NCOIC, and dozens and dozens of other jobs.

imported_BigNasty82476
06-09-2009, 08:54 AM
I think its the stupidest idea I have heard in a while. Why in the hell would you not just make tan boots the standard? Plenty of options to choose from as far as manufactuer, design etc. It would also save the AF a bunch of money. Problem solved. Oh and I almost forgot, the green boots look gay as hell anyway.

Combat correspondent
06-09-2009, 03:29 PM

Clapping hands!

Well said, sir. Now ditto this remark to the cops and ammo, and you'll really be on a roll :)

Smeghead
06-09-2009, 10:00 PM
Clapping hands!

Well said, sir. Now ditto this remark to the cops and ammo, and you'll really be on a roll :)

My dad's ammo, we have this argument every day ... as I help him bandage his knuckles.

NFCstang
06-10-2009, 08:35 AM
My dad's ammo, we have this argument every day ... as I help him bandage his knuckles.

Is that from him dragging them on the ground or actual work? :D

Smeghead
06-10-2009, 01:03 PM
Is that from him dragging them on the ground or actual work? :D

I'm not even nice about maintainers in my own family soooooo ... ;)

CommunityEditor
06-10-2009, 08:00 PM
Editorial: Ditch the green boot

The Air Force search for the elusive sage-green boot continues.

Why?

For more than a year, officials have been looking for a stain-resistant boot that airmen would not have to polish to include as part of the new airman battle uniform. So they came up with green suede, which is hard to keep clean and absorbs jet fuel like a sponge. airmen hated that boot. Now, 200 airmen are to lace up sage-green leather boots in a wear test this summer.

Because the green suede boots have proven so unpopular and impractical, Chief of Staff Gen. Norton Schwartz relented enough to give leadership of major commands the option of allowing their airmen to wear the black boot with the ABU.

The next logical step is for Schwartz to require everybody to go back to black and kill the hunt for a green boot.

Too much time and money has already been wasted on what increasingly seems like footwear fetish.

Airmen recognize they’re wearing a battle uniform, not high fashion, and they like the black boot.

Schwartz has a fresh opportunity to kill the green boot — and he should take it.

taxpayers want their money spent wisely and their Air Force focused on the big picture. Schwartz faces plenty of real issues: helping fight two wars, growing end strength by 10,000 airmen and overseeing realignment of the combat air forces.

It’s time to stop trying to save the green boot — it just isn’t worth saving.

technomage1
06-11-2009, 05:27 AM
Editorial: Ditch the green boot
Airmen recognize they’re wearing a battle uniform, not high fashion, and they like the black boot.

I don't like the black boot, I prefer the tan that every other service wears.

sweatyAZ
06-11-2009, 06:27 AM
The Uniform Office couldn’t provide a picture of the boot, which will be tried out this summer by 200 airmen at Luke Air Force Base, Ariz., Hawkes said.

LMAO, that's what that memo was about. I'll be sure and let you guys know how this goes, they should be here soon. I'm a tan boot guy myself, figured out in Iraq no matter what I got on them....oil, blood, hydraulic fluid, bile, JP-8, mucus, whatever....that you just rub them into the sand and they clean up pretty good. Good enough to keep the uniform police from noticing. The rest of my uniform after a 12 hour shift was a giant strobe light for those doushebags.

Just remember, until office buildings start dropping bombs the flight fline rules!! (starts dodging the rotten fruit)

Smeghead
06-11-2009, 12:28 PM
Just remember, until office buildings start dropping bombs the flight fline rules!! (starts dodging the rotten fruit)

Rotten fruit from who? The noners or the spelling police?

ChaplainC
06-11-2009, 04:00 PM
I don't understand the big deal here.

Personally I think that the tan looks gay on the uniforms, and I have thought that since the army decided to use it. just gay!

The green looks good with the colors of the uniform, sharper than the tan that is for sure.

Why can't we just do what the Navy did. They have the option. They only wear black boots, you can get either suede or normal leather. If they did that in the green no one would have to polish them, and MX, Fuels, or Ammo would not have to have the suede that way. It just does not make sense why they would want everyone to wear the same type of boot.

Also, for those who whine about the boot not having enough verity, every boot manufacturer that had boots in the clothing sales when we had black has them in green now, so what is the big deal?

I know the verbal few do not like the green, most folks I have talked to could care less what color they are, they just want to go to work and not wonder what is correct today.

I just do not know what the fuss is all about.

ChaplainC
06-11-2009, 04:12 PM
I don't like the black boot, I prefer the tan that every other service wears.

Not every service wears them The Navy only wears them while in DCUs, and I am not 100% but I am pretty sure that the Marines only wear the tan in their desert uniform, and black with their woodlands color. So when you say "EVERY other service" you really mean the Army wears them. Personally I do not have a need to emulate everything the army does. :)

imported_Modus
06-11-2009, 08:42 PM
I get to testdrive the new boots. Should be interesting.

ender9492
06-11-2009, 10:11 PM
Not every service wears them The Navy only wears them while in DCUs, and I am not 100% but I am pretty sure that the Marines only wear the tan in their desert uniform, and black with their woodlands color. So when you say "EVERY other service" you really mean the Army wears them. Personally I do not have a need to emulate everything the army does. :)

The Marines wear "Olive Mojave" colored boots with both uniforms. The Army wears the tan, and the Navy wears black with BDUs, Tan with DCUs, and Naval Corpsmen wear the Marine uniform + boots.

I don't understand why we don't adopt one standard service uniform, including boots.

sweatyAZ
06-12-2009, 02:20 AM
Rotten fruit from who? The noners or the spelling police?

It was for the "nonners" on this board that I have respect for. The spelling police however, I will be more then happy to piss in his coffee any time deputy doughnut makes an appearence. Especially when it comes from someone who picks on the elderly ;)

imported_Time2Go
06-12-2009, 03:19 AM
How about the Uniform Board and leadership get some common sense over the whole issue. We really didn't need a new uniform. Period. End. Dot.

But then again, these are the same people that think tucking pants into boots is a good idea. The Air Force has now started riding the short bus. Really though, collectively the Air Force has the highest IQ out of all the branches. We don't need to start dressing like it. :rolleyes:

NFCstang
06-12-2009, 07:09 AM
Seriously.

You want to make things simple and cheap for the troops? Go to 1 friggin boot. We don't need a green boot for home base wear, a tan boot for the desert and a black boot for everyone that doesn't want to stain aformentioned boots.

Is it that friggin' hard?

imported_blacksheep1208
06-12-2009, 04:13 PM
When you wear a green boot in the desert, the lower part turns tan anyways. The upper part stays green. Like some sort of bizarre desert jungle boot. So in the end they will be tan anyways.

ChaplainC
06-12-2009, 07:33 PM
The Marines wear "Olive Mojave" colored boots with both uniforms. The Army wears the tan, and the Navy wears black with BDUs, Tan with DCUs, and Naval Corpsmen wear the Marine uniform + boots.

I don't understand why we don't adopt one standard service uniform, including boots.

Thanks for the correction Ender, good to know. I agree with you on the uniformity of US military uniforms, but I guess no one at the top does. I personally really like the Marines' uniforms. What can I say, they are sharp.

We really didn't need a new uniform. Period. End. Dot.
:rolleyes:

I completely agree. What exactly was wrong with the BDU and DCU in the first place? I really do not get it. I understand the Army wanted more pockets, so put a few extra on there and call it good then eah? Now, the collar, I understand is well liked in that it does a great job keeping brass out of your collar, and again I can understand that for the combat troops, but the rest of it is just silly.

I do not think wishing for the BDU to stay is of any use at this point. I was one of the last groups to get the BDU before they started using the ABU, in fact it was only three OTS classes (I believe) after me that started wear of the ABU. So I am extra annoyed in that I have brand new BDU's that I really can't wear because I end up being the only person out there in a BDU. Talk about standing out.

Anyhow, So that is why I personally say do like the Navy, allow Leather or Seude Lether boots, make it the option of the person wearing the boots.

I still wonder how someone is going to figure out how to make us all shine out green boots if we wear them.

Long as they make the Corcoran Marauders then I do not care what color they are or if I have to shine them.

Q1Checkride
06-12-2009, 08:42 PM
thats hideous.

http://www.airforcetimes.com/xml/news/2009/06/airforce_uniform_061209w/FRIDAY_061209af_bootw3_800.JPG

imported_LOAL-D
06-12-2009, 08:44 PM
thats hideous.

http://www.airforcetimes.com/xml/news/2009/06/airforce_uniform_061209w/FRIDAY_061209af_bootw3_800.JPG

Does KIWI make a green shoe polish? hehe

sweatyAZ
06-12-2009, 10:45 PM
you sure thats not a chem gear over boot?

imported_Modus
06-12-2009, 11:38 PM
It's not that serious, it does look weird though.

Boss Hog
06-13-2009, 02:44 AM
:(

From 1963 to date I've worn (and seen) some fugly uniform items.

But I have to admit that the picture of the prototype green combat boot takes uncontested 1st prize.

YGBSM...:eek:

HHUURRLLL!

BAAARRRFF!

CHUNKS!!!

ChaplainC
06-13-2009, 07:11 AM
Other than being a specific style that I would not prefer, it looks perfectly fine to me. I honestly do not know what all the fuss is about. Like I say, as long as Corcoran makes them in the Marauder then I am ok with it. (though I would prefer the suede myself)

technomage1
06-13-2009, 08:16 AM
All I could think of as I looked at the pic was "Well, at least if I ever puke on my own boots no one will be able to tell...."

imported_BigNasty82476
06-13-2009, 10:10 AM
The Marines wear "Olive Mojave" colored boots with both uniforms. .

No the Marines do not wear olive mojave boots. Their boots are TAN. I am looking at a Marine as I write this and his boots sure as hell are not "olive mojave" (whatever kind of gay ass color that is).

I think Chaplin is the one who proposed the green boots since I think he is the only one who actually likes the stupid looking things.

imported_BigNasty82476
06-13-2009, 10:17 AM
Ok so I was partially incorrect with my last post. After some research I realized that the USMC does in fact call their boots "olive mojave". The fact is though they are actually tan just like the ones we wear. I guess "tan" did not sound exotic enough.

BISSBOSS
06-14-2009, 05:01 AM
That is one ugly piece of gear!

I for one will continue to purchase boots that I feel comfortable in and am proud to wear.

THe extra cash be damned. It's a matter of personal choice at this point.

-BB-

ChaplainC
06-14-2009, 06:55 AM
All I could think of as I looked at the pic was "Well, at least if I ever puke on my own boots no one will be able to tell...."

Your puke is green? yuck! ;)

LADYVIOLA
06-16-2009, 08:09 PM
Try to take this seriously.....
I see every one of us, Junior folks, Senior folks, Retired, Active duty, Officer, Enlisted, every one spoke about this latest boot with direct regard to ourselves only. Not many made comment about how it diminishes morale if we have to keep buying uniform items and there doesn't seem to be an end to the ego's that get into a position to do something good for the Air Force overall. They just try to make their mark. So all they do is stir up the individual in our gang rather than steady the hands and minds of the whole Air Force. These Uniforms, boots, blues, belts, suede, blousing garters, camo, beards, buttons, etc. etc. are all designed for posing for pictures. None of it is for war! The average Airman, be he she, General, Airman, look like hogans army when we see pictures of them at war. Zoom bags, army camo, Marine gear, etc. Nothing says "I am part of a team", "I am proud and capable of being here and lending my self to the cause." It makes the rest of our sister services laugh at us. Besides getting airframes in the air and iron on target, we look like, hence we feel like, shit. Look around you........Is there any consistency that creates esprit? Is there any custom? Is there any sense heritage? Is there any pride beyond false pride? Are you mentally, physically, emotionally ready for war? Do you even know where and what your field gear looks like and feels like. Lots of Airmen are "over there" They have pieced their shit together so they could survive. None of them are wearing the ABU, suede/black/green boot. Noe of them have any consitent trust that the Air Force cares about them peersonally.

I rant...... The green boot fits very well with all the rest of the uniforms and gear, It Sucks!!! Think about this; The US (yes along with the Air Force) went to the desert to kill or be killed, sometime around 1991. You'd think they (the leadership and uniform board) might have got at least one thing right up to now. Tell me what that one thing is. You can't because they have not. They do wear tests with pregnant women who work in offices. For Christs sake, lives of our fellow airmen depend on clothing and equipment that helps them do their job. If they cant do it, then they ought to give up, smear the ABU tiger stripe on select items that the Army and the Marine Corps have adapted for warfare. Why try and continue to fail at getting anything right, you cant!!!!!!! Get the fuck out of the way and lets some warriors adopt, adapts, and procure gear and uniforms for the warrior airmen who need it.

ChaplainC
06-17-2009, 02:20 AM
So, Ladyviola, what exactly have you been doing with your uniform allowance for the last few years that you now can not afford to pay for your uniforms? You spent it on boose, or X-box, or whatever else, never the less, if you really were that worried about it then you would have saved it up for the next time you needed a uniform. Funny, officers only get a one time uniform allowance of $400.oo and we have to buy everything else out of pocket, and amazingly enough you do not see any of us on here crying about having to buy all that stuff. I spent two grand on uniforms right before they ABU became available. They said I could get the ABU in time, but it did not come out and I needed the gear by a certain date. So now I get to spend another two grand on the new stuff in the next few years. Well that is fine with me, that is what I signed up for, and I knew it. If you do not like it, again, just get out. Vote with your boots, rather than coming in here where no one knows who you really are, and crying us all a river.

Boots are boots, what is the big deal anyhow. Everyone goes through them, and everyone needs a new set once in a while, such is life. OH and if you are still so attached to your black boots you can wear them on Mondays.

Outback 1982
06-17-2009, 02:43 AM
Unbelievable, we were one of the original test bases for the current boot. Our "Test" crew chief trashed them within a week. Overwhelming feedback from this test was the boots absorb dirt and oil like a sponge and the uniform is too bulky and hot. Overall it was not recommended for our environment.

What did the AF do, they ignored the test and rushes an inferior product into service.

I have "ZERO" confidence that the AF will get this right.

ChaplainC
06-17-2009, 04:24 AM
Outback, I am curious to know, was there polish on the boots at all? The reason I ask is that it seems as though typically people kept their boots pretty polished up. I should think that would keep the oils out.

Just curious, I obviously would not contradict anything you have to say, just wondering.

Thanks

technomage1
06-17-2009, 08:57 AM
Outback, I am curious to know, was there polish on the boots at all?

Do they even make green polish? I know what you're saying here, and I agree, I just don't know if it's possible or not.

Outback 1982
06-17-2009, 02:44 PM
Unbelievable, we were one of the original test bases for the current boot. Our "Test" crew chief trashed them within a week. Overwhelming feedback from this test was the boots absorb dirt and oil like a sponge and the uniform is too bulky and hot. Overall it was not recommended for our environment.

What did the AF do, they ignored the test and rushes an inferior product into service.

I have "ZERO" confidence that the AF will get this right.

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I was referring to the current issue: "Sage Green Flesh out Leather boot"

crazyaf
06-18-2009, 12:35 AM
No wonder every other branch of the military thinks we are all a bunch of jokes! Green boots! The Air Force has lost its mind! How embarrassing! Not a proud day...

imported_BigNasty82476
06-20-2009, 07:04 AM
How is this even still a discussion? Ditch the gay looking green boots and let us wear the tan ones. The plane fixers will have to suck it up. There you go PROBLEM SOLVED!!! Now give me my promotion.

Silver Fox
06-21-2009, 06:52 AM
Yeah, and green LEATHER? Can you imagine how freaking horrendous a polished green boot is going to look?

jrod23gt
06-22-2009, 03:31 AM
If the Air Force was entering a contest to see which branch could make their boots look like a baby just threw up his gerber all over them, then the air force definatly won. the whole ABU setup is redicuolous anyays, what do ABU's blend in with other than gravel??

Archivist102
06-25-2009, 06:35 PM
Seriously!! Are these pompous fools going out of there way to make us the laughing stock of all branches? This is just absolutely embarassing now! Come on people, give us something that makes us proud to wear, not something that looks like we just stepped out of a clown car. Why not stick with the damn tan boots? They are required in the AOR so just make everyone wear them and cut the crap and wasted money on testing all these stupid green boots!! I swear the uniform board tries to pass off the most horrible and stupid looking uniform changes they can think of! Idiots!!!

imported_commbatboots556
06-27-2009, 08:08 AM
Seriously!! Are these pompous fools going out of there way to make us the laughing stock of all branches? This is just absolutely embarassing now! Come on people, give us something that makes us proud to wear, not something that looks like we just stepped out of a clown car. Why not stick with the damn tan boots? They are required in the AOR so just make everyone wear them and cut the crap and wasted money on testing all these stupid green boots!! I swear the uniform board tries to pass off the most horrible and stupid looking uniform changes they can think of! Idiots!!!

It's too late, we already are the laughing stock of the services. We have no pride in our heritage, we have the Airmen's Creed, we're trying to copy the Army on EVERYTHING (most recently approving an ABU fleece jacket), and our PT program is a joke (in no way a test of "Fit to FIGHT"). Last I heard was they want either a patch or ribbon for "PT Excellence", seriously, I used to love the AF, for being the smartest of the branches and being the go-to branch for air support for the Soldiers and Marines, now, I'm SERIOUSLY reconsidering my career in the AF. I'm not saying we've got it worse than the other branches--but I've looked through these threads and kept an eye on the other flavors of 'xxx Times' and don't see much complaining about "rules", etc. or MULTIPLE uniform changes besides the Army. In all honesty, why don't they just go ahead and make us the Army Air Corps again? We have our leadership shoving this Airmen's Creed down our throats, yet, there's no pride in what we've accomplished since our inception as an individual service component and we keep copying the Army.

Has anyone else read the latest Uniform Board results? I saw so many suggestions for uniform changes that copied the Marines or Army, along with ideas that left me speechless. We've totally forgot we're a SUPPORT branch; we're not 'ground pounders', we offer up air supremacy--I liked seeing those videos of our fighters blowing the hell out of things, it was awesome. I also had the pleasure of standing up a UAV program at my first duty station and I never felt more accomplished to know I was providing information to the true war fighters down on the ground. Now, I ventured to the BX today and noticed the latest AF Times: "AF Rules Airmen Hate" (or something to that effect) and was blown away that Airmen are complaining about "Mandatory Fun", uniforms, and DEPLOYMENTS. WTF!? Mandatory "Fun" is an all around military thing--deal with it. Uniforms...I understand. DEPLOYMENTS...seriously? We get the sweet deployments--for the most part. Can't beat hot meals, hot showers, A/Cs, etc. while the Marines and Army have to rough it with MREs, baby wipes, and NO A/C in FOBs.

It's unfortunate that our leadership STILL hasn't gotten things squared away with all the bad press we've received with important things, i.e. nuke failures. Instead we're focused on PT changes and green LEATHER boots. Instead, maybe they need to revise our Service dress uniform--push that Heritage Coat; it would give us a military image, instead of the rag-tag, poorly put together, undisciplined, spoiled branch we've become. I don't know how many formations I've been in where CCs have forgotten how to properly drill a flight: not standing at attention to give commands and just making it a huge cluster-f***. The AF just needs to "Re-Blue" itself, stop trying to copy the other branches and find itself and instill that pride, loyalty, and professionalism that we so desperately need. The things I've heard the Marines and Army say about us is so sad, but so true. The big thing I want to see is the bearing and professionalism, since when is it okay to address a NCO by their last name? How about not standing up for a SNCO? When did our TI's direct us that it's okay to say "Yeah" to an Officer? We need to tighten the leash on our Airmen and start shaping up to be a real military component. But, when I hear NCOs tell me the reason they joined the AF was because it was the closest thing to being in the military while still being a civilian, I mean seriously...we complain about the things that the other branches roll with every day...I've never seen so many people skip out on a deployment in my life--your first born is due in 2 months? Okay, we'll task someone else for the spot that was slotted for you. REALLY? I have family in the Corps that have been through ATLEAST 3 deployments, missing their first born, birthdays, etc.

Sorry for the rant. The AF has pretty much made the last few decisions that ultimately has effected my retention. I didn't join the military for the unprofessional cluster-f*** the AF is now. I viewed the military as an intelligent, professional group who remembered where they came from, who accomplished great things early in their branches history and took great pride in what they've done as a service. I've yet to see that in the Air Force...when was the last time you celebrated the AF birthday? No cake, no big "to do" about remembering the day we became the U.S. Air Force....it's unfortunate and I'm currently looking to the other branches to give me what I'm missing and feel is important in a 20+ yr career; it may not be greener on the other side, but at least I'll wear that uniform with pride (I did for the AF long ago, but now, we ARE the joke). I'd just like to have more to look back on when I retire, know I served my Country with honor, and not regret "skating" a military career...that I made a difference and can be proud of that lifelong career....

Think we're truly a professional, squared away branch? Look up some grooming standards, etc. with the Marines. Why mention the Marines so much? Just look at how squared away and professional they look as compared to us....just food for thought really. I'm sure I'll get flamed for "b!tchin' " or how we're not the Marines, but for God sake we're getting close to being the Army....and before you throw the ''then go join the Marines..'' that's the plan...OCS with the USMC.

/rant

imported_BRAVO10000
06-27-2009, 11:18 AM
So, Ladyviola, what exactly have you been doing with your uniform allowance for the last few years that you now can not afford to pay for your uniforms? You spent it on boose, or X-box, or whatever else, never the less, if you really were that worried about it then you would have saved it up for the next time you needed a uniform. Funny, officers only get a one time uniform allowance of $400.oo and we have to buy everything else out of pocket, and amazingly enough you do not see any of us on here crying about having to buy all that stuff. I spent two grand on uniforms right before they ABU became available. They said I could get the ABU in time, but it did not come out and I needed the gear by a certain date. So now I get to spend another two grand on the new stuff in the next few years. Well that is fine with me, that is what I signed up for, and I knew it. If you do not like it, again, just get out. Vote with your boots, rather than coming in here where no one knows who you really are, and crying us all a river.

Boots are boots, what is the big deal anyhow. Everyone goes through them, and everyone needs a new set once in a while, such is life. OH and if you are still so attached to your black boots you can wear them on Mondays.

Officers can claim that uniform on their taxes if they itemize, since they aren't getting an allowance. Just saying.

reklawj9
06-29-2009, 04:22 PM
Outback, I am curious to know, was there polish on the boots at all? The reason I ask is that it seems as though typically people kept their boots pretty polished up. I should think that would keep the oils out.

Just curious, I obviously would not contradict anything you have to say, just wondering.

Thanks

Not sure about the chemistry, but from practical exp. hydraulic fluid tends to soak through the polish getting into your socks (yes I have stood in puddles of the stuff) some how messing with the pores in the leather the boots never take a decent shine agian...fuel ( jp8 and jp4 both) dry out and dammage the leather. And then theres the toe scrapes from kneeling on the concrete,or on the anti slip surfaces of work stands...A/C Maint. has the issue with the boots not becuase we we care that we arent as shiney as the other services( what ever happend to the"Clean Black and Serviceable" that we were taught in the 70's and 80's??? but becuase some know nothing blue suiter will absoulutely walk by and get his jollies by writing us up.....or give our hard working Lt a hard time about his/her "slovenly troops"
At least with black the stains dont show
J9

imported_Sgt HULK
06-30-2009, 07:31 AM

actually I hear officers and thier wives whine all the time about uniform allowance.

I'll tell ya what. Ill take your double salary in less time then Ive been in, doing less work and you can have my 400 a yr

deal?

oh and your double BAH over what I get because DOD seems to think that officers families deserve better housing then enlisted so your 3 grand BAH for my 1000 BAH as well
i love seeing 1lt's in for 3 yrs doubling 15 yr techs ands masters salaries complaining over 400 bucks a yr

Shrike
06-30-2009, 09:33 AM
actually I hear officers and thier wives whine all the time about uniform allowance.

I'll tell ya what. Ill take your double salary in less time then Ive been in, doing less work and you can have my 400 a yr

deal?

oh and your double BAH over what I get because DOD seems to think that officers families deserve better housing then enlisted so your 3 grand BAH for my 1000 BAH as well
i love seeing 1lt's in for 3 yrs doubling 15 yr techs ands masters salaries complaining over 400 bucks a yr

Or look at the JFTR. An O-2 without dependents is authorized a greater PCS weight allowance than a friggin' E-8. Can anyone tell me in what universe that makes sense?

I really get all misty-eyed hearing O's complain about not getting a clothing allowance after the initial one. It's just one more way The Man gives O's the shaft while E's get the world handed to them. :rolleyes:

technomage1
06-30-2009, 11:03 AM
I really get all misty-eyed hearing O's complain about not getting a clothing allowance after the initial one. It's just one more way The Man gives O's the shaft while E's get the world handed to them. :rolleyes:

Yeah, they don't realize that we lost pay raises in the past because congress factors in our allowances as part of our general compensation.

ChaplainC
07-01-2009, 02:06 AM

deal?

This is an ignorant, foolish, and arrogant argument. First, you signed up for it, no one forced you to stay in the AF this long. No one kept you from getting a college degree, and becoming an officer, no one told you that you could not take on a career path with greater responsibilities, and duties, and no one forced you to spend your uniform allowance on something other than uniforms. If you are so bent on the fact that a college degree gets you more in the military I guess you should have put up, but you made your choice, as did we all.

Like it or not, the military does not pay officers very well considering what people with similar college degrees do on the outside. I know ministers who have started out in the 60K range right out of the M.Div. plus housing, so yeah, I really do not make much in comparison to MY peers. Sorry if you do not like that, or if you, for some reason, can not comprehend that you are trying to compare apples to oranges, but the facts are facts regardless of your decision to ignore them.

Like I said, Vote with your boots, rather than coming in here under anonymity and crying us all a river. No one wants to here it, that is why no one will listen to you cry about it on base either.

Bravo1000, thanks, I did not know that. I will most certainly do that in the future. It does not help me now like it would have when I went through OTS, but still, thanks.

reklawj9, thanks for the education. Certainly some info that I did not know in your post. I personally agree with the idea of black being acceptable, and I am surprised that someone would actually write you up if yours were not shined, that is just silly and ignorant.

imported_Sgt HULK
07-02-2009, 02:01 AM
really alll I heard was blah blah blah. Who is crying the river, I believe you were, because you dont get a uniform allowance lol. You wanna talk about arrogant, I had to re-read what you wrote because I could not decipher if an 18 yr old punk a$$ kid wrote it or a "distinguished Military chaplain" wrote it. Don't feed me the line of greater responsibility I am going to stop here because I don't feel the need to turn this into a religious argument, But I can bet the guy doing an engine run up has greater pressure to get it right then you reciting a page out of the bible on sunday morning. I am appalled and embarrassed that you even posted such non sense.

I am however am impressed that you know so much of me, I am impressed that you know my educational background. Tell me what else do you know about me I am curious. Your attitude for a chaplain upsets me. Jump to all the conclusions you wish. I'll be sure to message you when I finish my Masters degree after I complete retraining next fall. You can give me the officers don't get paid crap compared to their outside argument all day long if you wish, I too will then show you what I am missing out on as well with my "lack of educational background" as you put it.

The original issue was your complaint about not getting your 400 a yr, when in fact you triple the salaries of most. So to say your hurting is laughable when 90% of us do much more with much less, including being looked down upon because some O got a degree in literature and thinks he is smarter because us dumb unedumactated enlsited monkey wrench turners rnt smart enuff to do there job hur hur hur.

So we get less pay, do more work, get less allowances, and by piggy backing on the way you put it lack education as well The fact you are attacking anyone because we do not wish to wear items that carry no function into battle is beyond me. For those of us that work and get dirty it is an issue, For those of you that sit in an office giving briefings its of little issue so we don't expect you to care, But don't attack us

yet you complained about missing 400 bucks a yr ;) Feel free to follow up with perhaps some less subtle insults and continue on about how I chose this and It's my fault blah blah blah. I'll keep this as my final post on the issue at hand

sweatyAZ
07-02-2009, 02:28 AM
[QUOTE=ChaplainC;250080]This is an ignorant, foolish, and arrogant argument. First, you signed up for it, no one forced you to stay in the AF this long. No one kept you from getting a college degree, and becoming an officer, no one told you that you could not take on a career path with greater responsibilities, and duties, and no one forced you to spend your uniform allowance on something other than uniforms. If you are so bent on the fact that a college degree gets you more in the military I guess you should have put up, but you made your choice, as did we all.

Like it or not, the military does not pay officers very well considering what people with similar college degrees do on the outside. I know ministers who have started out in the 60K range right out of the M.Div. plus housing, so yeah, I really do not make much in comparison to MY peers. Sorry if you do not like that, or if you, for some reason, can not comprehend that you are trying to compare apples to oranges, but the facts are facts regardless of your decision to ignore them.

Like I said, Vote with your boots, rather than coming in here under anonymity and crying us all a river. No one wants to here it, that is why no one will listen to you cry about it on base either.QUOTE]

Geez Chap, way to alienate yourself from the enlisted core. He does have a point even if you don't like the way he presented it. Officers shouldn't cry about a clothing allowence, they get paid enough for it. And I can't remember the last officer I saw with grease soaked pants anyway. Your assesment that the enlisted force is undereducated is showing your age. I too have an associates as well as a bach. I chose enlisted mainly because I didn't want to have to play the politcal game to advance after o-3. Every time any jet from my unit hits the sky that pilots life is my responsiblity, along with those I supervise. So I have to disagree with your statement about our lack of wanting to step up to the plate.
Also it doesn't make to much sense to me that a 30 year chief makes as much pension as a 20 year captain. Excluding prior enlisted ofcourse, to go 20 years and just be a captian someone must of been a huge screw up. Yet, they get the same retirement pay as someone who gave everything he had to make the highest rank possible and give up 30 years of his life to defend his country. doesn't exactly seem right does it. However, I do know this is the military, I am a brat and a NCO after all. You get the best of what the military offers its employees, every enlisted knows this. so when you complain about it infront of those who get a lot less, it makes you look pompus, not pius (sp?).

kenton
07-02-2009, 08:17 AM
This is an ignorant, foolish, and arrogant argument. First, you signed up for it, no one forced you to stay in the AF this long. No one kept you from getting a college degree, and becoming an officer, no one told you that you could not take on a career path with greater responsibilities, and duties, and no one forced you to spend your uniform allowance on something other than uniforms. If you are so bent on the fact that a college degree gets you more in the military I guess you should have put up, but you made your choice, as did we all.

Like I said, Vote with your boots, rather than coming in here under anonymity and crying us all a river. No one wants to here it, that is why no one will listen to you cry about it on base either.

Bravo1000, thanks, I did not know that. I will most certainly do that in the future. It does not help me now like it would have when I went through OTS, but still, thanks.

reklawj9, thanks for the education. Certainly some info that I did not know in your post. I personally agree with the idea of black being acceptable, and I am surprised that someone would actually write you up if yours were not shined, that is just silly and ignorant.

Well lets see where to start "sir" I guess a good place to start would be with your own words.... You complain about pay but then two sentences before your telling someone else to shut up and color because he volunteered for military service. With that being said... "Sir" Shut up and color... you volunteered for it! Next you say you "know" a person that was getting 60k plus housing doing the job jesus did for food and water... Well... I know landscapers that make 100k a year with no college degree... does that mean we should pay all enlisted P&E guys 100k?? If you truly are a captain I dont see how you couldnt be making decent money. I know an 0-3 army friend showed me his LES last december and it had listed in total compensation $99k. Hell mine was $75k as an E-5

Signal2Noise
07-03-2009, 02:50 AM
Funny, officers only get a one time uniform allowance of $400.oo and we have to buy everything else out of pocket, and amazingly enough you do not see any of us on here crying about having to buy all that stuff.

Oh really? That's the one thing I've always heard officers bitch about. I'd rip out the ass of my BDUs in the field, and my flight commander would say, "Big deal, you get a clothing allowance", even tho I just spent it on new dress blues for Leadership School.

Which means, I bought new BDUs out of pocket.

BRUWIN
07-03-2009, 03:13 AM

Wow...and I thought Chaplains were all about being sensitive to feelings. Good post.

imported_oih82w8
07-06-2009, 01:26 AM
I worked with an AGE mechanic who suggested that Black Leather boots be authorized forthe work area, and keep your fuzzy boots for whenever you are out and about doing other business. The Command Chief liked the idea, :rolleyes: the Wing Commander didn't. :mad:

ChaplainC
07-06-2009, 06:51 PM
Listen, folks, I am not going to respond to all of the crying in the pages above.
Simply put, I am NOT complaining about my pay, nor the requirements of the job. I am simply pointing out that I do not get those allowances, and I still do not sit here crying about it all the time.

Further, I am saying, that when it comes to having the degree and becoming an officer, you sign up for more responsibilities. You can say that a guy dealing with an engine has a lot to account for, and you would be right, lots of pressure, but nothing like having to intentionally give an order that very well may result in the death of the person you are giving the order to, or the death or deaths of many others. Sorry, just not much comparison there, in my opinion.

Yes, some bash me because I am a man of Faith, fine, feel free to do that all you like. You only show your own ignorance when you do so.

Did I say that I PERSONALLY will give such orders, as mentioned above? No, not much chance of that, but my comments are directed in reference to officers in general, not me personally.

I am sorry if you are rubbed wrong y my thoughts or comments, but honestly, take a step back, and think about what you have been saying and thinking.

Anyone should know that the AF has more graduate degrees in the enlisted side of the house than any of the other services, but that does not mean that it is required to get in. If a person wanted to get that degree, and then go through OTS, that is what I am speaking about, not the actual possession of the degree. Anyone can get a degree if they put their mind to it. Even if you do not have any money at all. No, my point is simply did you choose to do the degree, and then did you choose to put yourself into a position of responsibility such as every officer has done. IT is your choice, maybe you chose to get the degree too late in life for you to become an officer, maybe you did not want to become an officer when you had the chance. These are your choices, and no one forced you into them.

You can justify yourself all day long, it still does not change the truth.

On to the original topic again, if you please.

Boots, is it really going to kill anyone if we have to wear green boots? I mean, honestly, what the big deal is I simply do not see. Uniforms change. Personally I dislike the new service coat with the belt (if it ever comes online) but I will wear it if that is what they tell me to do. The pride in OUR Air Force should come from within! We represent the Air Force, not our uniforms. You can take the best group of spec ops guys and put them in pink uniforms and they will still be the best spec ops available. When it comes to getting the job done, the uniform is really not that big of a deal.

ender9492
07-06-2009, 08:37 PM
...so, back on topic. I think that most of us would agree that the Air Force should have left changing the uniforms/boots alone altogether, but since they didn't, would it be safe to say that we would have preferred the tan boots to the sage green ones? I feel like all this forum discussion/debating is good and all, but we need to voice these ideas to the uniform board. You all know that you can submit ideas from the "IDEA" website they set up, right? (can access via the AF Portal/Uniform Information)
If we were to send an overwhelming flood of "ideas" that were all in agreement with each other, maybe the uniform board would see that a good portion of the AF is fed up with the whole boot debacle, and maybe they'd quit trying to force the green boots on us.

On a related note: Congress is ordering the Army to create more effective uniforms for the troops in Afghanistan (go figure, right?). I get the feeling that the AF will more than likely follow suite, and we'll be having these same debates/discussions all over again.

I don't know about anyone else here, but first thing tomorrow, I'm submitting an "idea" (yet again!), to end this fashion-statement-of-a-uniform, and give us a functional, effective, and reasonable uniform. I'm also going to petition for them to quit trying to "improve" the green boots, and just stick with whats been tried and true. This fiasco really needs to end.

Slap
07-12-2009, 08:33 PM
yes tan are better than the terrible green boots.

the new uniform is a joke. total cluster F***

Shrike
07-12-2009, 09:39 PM
yes tan are better than the terrible green boots.

the new uniform is a joke. total cluster F***

But boy, that wash and wear is convenient. I never was any good with an iron.

imported_oih82w8
07-12-2009, 09:59 PM
But boy, that wash and wear is convenient. I never was any good with an iron.

At least make them (ABU's) in a lighter weight.

reklawj9
07-13-2009, 05:01 AM
Heya
Let's just bring back permanent press fatigues with steel toed chucka boots...I'm sure that lovely didgi pattern can be found in permanent press .....Light weight ,wash and hang up, if you folded them right they even looked good straight out of the duffel.....
any way we all know the score ,the uniforms change every time the folk in the head office want to make an impression.....what no one has figured out over the years is, we dont have to impress anyone except our selves.

Once upon a time a long long time ago.....my kid brother (W-1 army at the time) and i were discussing the "quality" of the new recruits these days ...(you know we all do it)
point to ponder..which is scarier a 17 year old
(with a GED) with a loaded M-16.....
or a 22 year old(with a B.A. in art history) and the keys to a nuclear weapon..........
Point is the powers that be will allways feel like we (AF) wont measure up simply because we're the service with the shortest history......
Some how it makes "them" feel better to change the uniform every couple years....they will never stop playing with the uniforms,...... its pointless to complain so just shell out the cash...and hide the black boots when the inspectors come by..........................................

imported_oih82w8
07-13-2009, 04:58 PM
I believe the reasoning behind the AF uniform change was that the Army had the contract for BDU's, and then they (the Army) decided it was time for a change. The AF did not want to commit to an X-number of years with the present BDU. So the AF made the change also - into the ABU, which is where we are today. Thank goodness they did not keep the Blue ABU with "U.S. Air Force" embedded into the pattern. It could have been worse...:rolleyes:

FedUp
07-16-2009, 05:44 PM
I would be more than happy if I could wear the same thing as the Navy maintainers. A set of blue coveralls with rank on it. Perfect for a maintainer. Hell give me the thunderbird suits without all the hoopla and its the perfect maintainer uniform.

Laxman
07-16-2009, 06:05 PM

Hey now, the ABU passed a rigorous test and evaluation controlled by the AF leadership. You will wear the ABU and like it!

On a side note, they are making cotton ABUs on the civilian side. MUCH more comfortable, esp when its over 100 degrees outside on a daily basis.

Who knows, maybe they will move the damn pen pocket into a more proper position.

Laxman
07-16-2009, 06:08 PM
I believe the reasoning behind the AF uniform change was that the Army had the contract for BDU's, and then they (the Army) decided it was time for a change. The AF did not want to commit to an X-number of years with the present BDU. So the AF made the change also - into the ABU, which is where we are today. Thank goodness they did not keep the Blue ABU with "U.S. Air Force" embedded into the pattern. It could have been worse...:rolleyes:

So would the AF change again when the Army changes their ACUs soon?

Sgt Shammy
07-17-2009, 05:13 AM
LAME
Why can't we just keep the black ones? Just not have to polish them? The AF is always worried about money, and yet they spend HOW MUCH on new boots when the black ones were just fine!

h0vit0
07-17-2009, 07:25 PM
Boots are overrated.

technomage1
07-18-2009, 07:12 AM
Boots are overrated.

Anyone else for a nice pair of socks and birkenstocks? ;)

imported_USAFVIKE
07-19-2009, 03:13 PM

Make the pants and tops the same color too.

reklawj9
07-20-2009, 03:50 AM
Didn't the AF seperate from the army in 47??
what is with all this "ARMY ENVY"?!!

h0vit0
07-20-2009, 05:25 PM
Make the pants and tops the same color too.

They have the cotton ones for sale now even thought they not "authorized" you can always play the i didn't know that role.

GunnerBob_88
07-22-2009, 10:29 PM
Alright, I can see where the need to have stain resistant boots are needed. For some people, their boots get so dirty that they don't fit in the regs... ok, develop a boot that is resistant. But, if looks are sooo important to the AF then please get something better than GREEN LEATHER!!! I can't imagine that it costs too much to replace a pair of Tan boots. I like them, they look the best, and it's what you get when you deploy. Which, for some people happens a lot now. So, lets use reason here.

imported_BigNasty82476
07-24-2009, 07:18 AM
Holy shit!! Is this still an issue? Like I said a million times, keep the fucking tan boots...end of issue. Is that so hard? The maintainers need to quit crying about stained boots and just suck it up like the rest of us.

Numrich
07-24-2009, 01:53 PM
Holy shit!! Is this still an issue? Like I said a million times, keep the fucking tan boots...end of issue. Is that so hard? The maintainers need to quit crying about stained boots and just suck it up like the rest of us.

Its not Mx that has an issue with dirty boots. Maintainers have been turned away from the Chow Hall in the AOR because of dirty boots. Now they are issued 2 pairs prior to the deployment. Talk about a waste of money...

imported_blacksheep1208
07-26-2009, 11:03 PM
Its not Mx that has an issue with dirty boots. Maintainers have been turned away from the Chow Hall in the AOR because of dirty boots. Now they are issued 2 pairs prior to the deployment. Talk about a waste of money...

You end up with multiple pairs of boots regardless of job. I was issued two pairs of green boots from the Air Force before I deployed, and then the Army gave me two pairs of tan boots at CST. What are the boots that are being turned away covered with? Maybe it's a sanitary issue.

imported_WRA342
07-27-2009, 01:12 AM
You end up with multiple pairs of boots regardless of job. I was issued two pairs of green boots from the Air Force before I deployed, and then the Army gave me two pairs of tan boots at CST. What are the boots that are being turned away covered with? Maybe it's a sanitary issue.

I know exactly what he is talking about. Its strictly an appearance issue. One pair for work, one "CLEAN" pair for the chow hall. Its not a sanitary issue.

h0vit0
07-27-2009, 05:27 PM
I say a good pair of jungle boots

imported_Modus
07-27-2009, 06:24 PM
I wish they would make a pair of jungle boots for the ABU. Anyone seen something like that.

imported_oih82w8
07-27-2009, 06:26 PM
I wish they would make a pair of jungle boots for the ABU. Anyone seen something like that.

...sounds like a Korea trip again.

h0vit0
07-27-2009, 08:42 PM
maybe we can get a group buy rate

ChaplainC
07-28-2009, 08:00 PM

Have you tried the Corcoran Marauders? I used to wear the jungle boots, but when I got these, wow, I really like them better. They are more comfortable (for me) and they are cooler than the jungle boots.

They are spendy, but in my opinion they are worth it.

ProGlfer88
07-30-2009, 08:05 PM
This whole uniform change saga is getting OLD!! What an incredible waste of money and manpower. It is obvious the powers that be, who are more than likely sitting @ a big table, IN THEIR FLIGHTSUITS, will never get it right. Until the "deciders" get out in the trenches and actually have to wear an ABU for it's intended purpose, they will never understand what we need. All they will do is whatever best suits them while they are flying a desk in a $200 pair of Air Force issued fire retardant pajamas....

h0vit0
07-30-2009, 08:24 PM
I see alot of people getting the cotton abu's for comfort in the heat i know going outside at 4 p.m. in texas when it's 104 degrees in ABU's isn't quite comfortable since i have to park a quarter mile away from the building

Gonzo432
08-31-2013, 03:21 AM
Thread from 2009 revived by a banned new guy? Hmmmm....

With that said, when I retired I was wearing Corcoran Marauders, great boots. Those green things ya'll wear now make me want to throw up, actually they look like someone threw up on them, THEY SUCK!!!