PDA

View Full Version : reenlistment bonuses

kenny10
01-16-2009, 08:38 AM
Does anyone else besides me thinks it complete crap that if you do reenlist and get a bonus, it is taxed? Unless you are in a combat zone..............28 percent is usually taken out of a service members reenlistment bonus. I think thats bull

USMC_8156
01-16-2009, 08:44 AM
Not really. Why should we be exempt from taxes?

kenny10
01-16-2009, 08:46 AM
We should be exempt from taxes because we are serving our country and allowing everyone else to have freedom. I've already selflessly sacrificed my life for the country and if I ever were to reenlist, I don't want 28 percent of another 4 years of selfless sacrifice going to the government in which I give my life for.
28 percent of a bonus is a whole heck of a lot of money...........

SuperPog0151
01-16-2009, 12:29 PM
We should be exempt from bonus taxes. If I don't have to pay taxes at the PX then don't tax my bonus. Deal?

Wheels
01-16-2009, 02:53 PM
Be lucky you guys have a bonus at all. My bonus went from ~23K in FY08 to a big goose egg for 09 and im due to re-enlist this year. I really dont want to lat move but not having a bonus might force me to.

wzgriffith
01-16-2009, 08:36 PM
Be lucky you guys have a bonus at all. My bonus went from ~23K in FY08 to a big goose egg for 09 and im due to re-enlist this year. I really dont want to lat move but not having a bonus might force me to.

Or you could re-enlist for more than money... A lot of Marines have spent their entire career without getting a bonus. As long as its more than the money you are staying in for, then its all fine. Re-enlisting in the Corps because of a bonus makes you a mercinary.

VFFSSGT
01-16-2009, 09:24 PM
Someone else self-absorbed and nothing is good enough. Bonus, HA, what's that? You should be grateful you are getting anything.

As far as the no tax at the BX... Sales tax is a state, county, and/or city tax and you are on a federal installation which the state, county, and/or city has no "authority." Just like you can still buy alcohol in the Class 6 on Sundays in places where you can't off base.

kenny10
01-17-2009, 01:50 AM
oh here we go with the "grateful you are getting anything at all" bullshit lines
I don't get anything unless I decide to reenlist and shit if I can get out and make 80,000 a year then yeah damn right I better get a bonus. Obviously they want to entice me to stick around and my job is really important.
I simply gave my opinion about bonus tax, not whether or not I'm lucky enough to get one or not so shut the hell up

mel44
01-17-2009, 02:00 AM
Does anyone else besides me thinks it complete crap that if you do reenlist and get a bonus, it is taxed? Unless you are in a combat zone..............28 percent is usually taken out of a service members reenlistment bonus. I think thats bull

Kenny did you reenlist????:D

kenny10
01-17-2009, 02:18 AM
hhaahaha no way!
I was just having a conversation about how I didn't think it was fair that we got or bonuses taxed with my gunny the other day and I thought I would ask everyone else's opinion

mel44
01-17-2009, 02:22 AM
hhaahaha no way!
I was just having a conversation about how I didn't think it was fair that we got or bonuses taxed with my gunny the other day and I thought I would ask everyone else's opinion

Awww
Good I was gonna have a "mom" talk with you. :rolleyes: Yes the bonus tax is BS. We took one last year and Uncle Sam got a big chunk of it. If it had come just a few weeks later we would not have had to pay so much. Its always something :)

VFFSSGT
01-17-2009, 03:00 AM
oh here we go with the "grateful you are getting anything at all" bullshit lines
I don't get anything unless I decide to reenlist and shit if I can get out and make 80,000 a year then yeah damn right I better get a bonus. Obviously they want to entice me to stick around and my job is really important.
I simply gave my opinion about bonus tax, not whether or not I'm lucky enough to get one or not so shut the hell up

Take the high road then; this military does not need anyone with your type of attitude to begin with.... I am sure you will come by $80,000 really easy in the civilian world right now.... :rolleyes: If you were so sure of yourself you wouldn't be here making empty threats...

I really can't stand self-absorbed people.... :rolleyes: You gave your opinion and everyone gave you theirs; if you can't handle opinions in opposition to yours maybe you should reconsider posting on here in the future....

hhaahaha no way!

Guess what, life isn't fair...

Good thing you didn't re-enlist; the military will be a better place without you.

Gunny_2862
01-17-2009, 09:17 AM
Kenny, there are people like that on the outside too, I used to work for them before I came in so trust me, it's not inherent to the Corps. I hope you don't base staying in or getting out on that issue.

I also was always a believer that bonuses should not be taxed, after all, it is a bonus based upon the needs of the Corps to retain the MOS and rank (to some degree since zones drive your bonus) they desperately need. I for one think bonuses are good, I also think we pay too much to some MOS's and not enough to others that I feel are truly needed and deserving, but that's another discussion that took place a long time ago last time I spoke of bonuses.

Yes, they should make the bonus nontaxable so you pay nothing AND it doesn't count towards your annual income for that year, thereby moving some people to the next higher tax bracket. I agree with you Kenny.

kenny10
01-17-2009, 10:41 AM
Kenny, there are people like that on the outside too, I used to work for them before I came in so trust me, it's not inherent to the Corps. I hope you don't base staying in or getting out on that issue.

I also was always a believer that bonuses should not be taxed, after all, it is a bonus based upon the needs of the Corps to retain the MOS and rank (to some degree since zones drive your bonus) they desperately need. I for one think bonuses are good, I also think we pay too much to some MOS's and not enough to others that I feel are truly needed and deserving, but that's another discussion that took place a long time ago last time I spoke of bonuses.

Yes, they should make the bonus nontaxable so you pay nothing AND it doesn't count towards your annual income for that year, thereby moving some people to the next higher tax bracket. I agree with you Kenny.

I know there are people like that everywhere and its sad.
I agree with you as well Gunny, thank you for your opinion. I just really don't think that a bonus should be taxed. Its a bonus you recieve to keep you in the corps and to keep valuable Marines in MOS's that are critical
I didn't even think that far into it as raising your annual income which puts you in a higher tax bracket so thanks for another insight

VFFSSGT
01-17-2009, 02:22 PM
If you want to use a bunch of fallacies and speak derogatory of another service in your arguments, so be it; they speak for themselves and show your lack of intellectual ability.

I didn't even think...

Exactly, and if you had slowed down and thought about what I said instead of mouth off to someone in opposition to your opinion, you would have been able to deduce that I obviously do not believe there is anything wrong with taxing a bonus. You should be appreciative you are getting one at all. But, this is a common problem in the service and society in general now days; it's me, me, me attitudes; nothing is ever good enough...

What is going to be interesting is when you do get out...one day you will realize how good you had it... I have seen many people with your type of attitude leave the service through the years and they are worst off now than they were in the service. By the way, I use to have the me first attitude; it gets you no were and you will continue to make bad decisions, like getting out, running around with that attitude...

For the record, I can make upwards of $100,000 in civilian life myself, so what; go gloat elsewhere. Money is not why I am here as it is obvious you are here or staying here for the wrong reasons. Like I said, the military doesn't need self-absorbed people like yourself.

LeaderOfMarines
01-17-2009, 06:22 PM
No matter how bad the economy is, I know that I will get 80,000 dollars a year when I get out. Which is why my bonus is 90,000 because my job is critical. The boat spaces are closed but guess what? I can still reenlist if I wanted to because "I'm the best of the best" and can still reenlist into my MOS even though its closed

I don't know you and I am not picking on you so don't get butt hurt when I call your bull crap flag on this. There is no way "you" can re-enlist into a closed MOS, unless you work for Manpower its self. I have been a recruiter and a CRS, so I can tell you from experiece that this is not true. If your job was so "critical" it wouldn't be closed and they would be offering lat move packages at the highest levels.

USMC_8156
01-18-2009, 06:57 AM
So anyways...

The reason I disagreed wtih kenny originally is because frankly everyone has to pay taxes. I'm tired of hearing about how serving your country should mean you get this and that for benefits on the side. Federal service does not make you a better person than the doctors, construction workers, and lawyers. Well, maybe the lawyers. You already shop tax free at the commisary, have all inclusive health insurance, and an unrivaled job security. I guess we should get extra votes in the primaries too, right?

LeaderOfMarines
01-18-2009, 01:28 PM
So anyways...

The reason I disagreed wtih kenny originally is because frankly everyone has to pay taxes. I'm tired of hearing about how serving your country should mean you get this and that for benefits on the side. Federal service does not make you a better person than the doctors, construction workers, and lawyers. Well, maybe the lawyers. You already shop tax free at the commisary, have all inclusive health insurance, and an unrivaled job security. I guess we should get extra votes in the primaries too, right?

Brother you make a good point and I would possible agree with you if they deployed and ran the risk of dying for their country. I hate taxes, but love it when I get a tax return, so it works out for the best in the end. Alot of people don't realize where the tax money goes, so I would rather pay up front in taxes, then later on when I'm in a crunch.

Gunny_2862
01-18-2009, 01:30 PM
Kenny, I did state I agree with no taxing of the bonuses. USMC, I disagree, we pay taxes and through those taxes we in effect, pay ourselves. If presidents, senators, and other government officials can voluntarily opt out of paying social security and the rest of us have no choice in the matter, why can't I not be taxed on a bonus to stay in the military?

I don't understand the correlation between health/dental care and tax free bonuses, please explain for me?

VFFSSGT
01-18-2009, 01:48 PM
I do disagree with the idea that we have to pay SS and Medicare...but there is no reason we as everyone should pay federal and state taxes.

imported_mlm
01-18-2009, 09:44 PM
I happen to know numerous jobs in the Air Force that you do not need college degrees for that you can get 6 figures for in the civilian sector. The same way I know many people in the civilian sectors with degrees that only get them the equivilant of an E-3 pay check. I think that some people on here are attacking other members simply because they got into an argument with their "friend" . I don't think that VFFSSGT said anything that was untrue. Also, who the heck in the military gets a $90,000 bonus? I think that may be stretching it a bit. I believe it caps off at 60.

AMERICANWARFIGHTER
01-19-2009, 12:22 AM

Get the hell out! 80,000 my ass!

imported_mlm
01-19-2009, 12:41 AM
I feel your pain. I got a reenlistment bonus last year. Half up front was 20,000 after taxes I got 13,000. My installment just came in and I should have gotten 3500, after taxes 2,600. For now the only solution is to re-enlist in the desert. Tax free!... It would be nice to have it tax free, but for now I guess I will just be happy that I got a bonus at all... :banana:

mel44
01-19-2009, 02:13 AM
I feel your pain. I got a reenlistment bonus last year. Half up front was 20,000 after taxes I got 13,000. My installment just came in and I should have gotten 3500, after taxes 2,600. For now the only solution is to re-enlist in the desert. Tax free!... It would be nice to have it tax free, but for now I guess I will just be happy that I got a bonus at all... :banana:

Ya we got 30,000 but ended up with about 24. The pissy part is we got it 2 weeks before James deployed :mad: NICE

USMC_8156
01-19-2009, 03:05 AM
Ya we got 30,000 but ended up with about 24. The pissy part is we got it 2 weeks before James deployed :mad: NICE

You should really get one thing straight...

YOU did not get anything.
YOU are not in the military.
YOU have no idea what kind of jobs are available in the Air Force or Marine Corps
YOU have no idea what VFSSGT does, or even what I do (although it is stated).
YOU do not have a leg to stand on when you tell an active duty NCO that they do not know what they are talking about.

This is an open forum, obviously. You can say whatever you want. But it gets old when you come on here and tell active duty service members what is and isn't reality when you have no first hand experience. I don't care how many "soldiers" you have spoken to, you have no military experience. As VF has said, there are a lot of jobs that you can get out and make 6 figures with, if you have technical military training. If he wants to be aggressive about his opinion, then he can go ahead and do so and kenny can stick up for himself. Kenny's a Marine. Kenny does not need you to back him up. Pitch in when you have something that you have experience in.

VFFSSGT
01-19-2009, 03:14 AM
You should really get one thing straight...

YOU did not get anything.
YOU are not in the military.
YOU have no idea what kind of jobs are available in the Air Force or Marine Corps
YOU have no idea what VFSSGT does, or even what I do (although it is stated).
YOU do not have a leg to stand on when you tell an active duty NCO that they do not know what they are talking about.

This is an open forum, obviously. You can say whatever you want. But it gets old when you come on here and tell active duty service members what is and isn't reality when you have no first hand experience. I don't care how many "soldiers" you have spoken to, you have no military experience. As VF has said, there are a lot of jobs that you can get out and make 6 figures with, if you have technical military training. If he wants to be aggressive about his opinion, then he can go ahead and do so and kenny can stick up for himself. Kenny's a Marine. Kenny does not need you to back him up. Pitch in when you have something that you have experience in.

Nice... :) And let me emphasize a few of your statements. :)

VFFSSGT
01-19-2009, 03:17 AM
I happen to know numerous jobs in the Air Force that you do not need college degrees for that you can get 6 figures for in the civilian sector. The same way I know many people in the civilian sectors with degrees that only get them the equivilant of an E-3 pay check. I think that some people on here are attacking other members simply because they got into an argument with their "friend" . I don't think that VFFSSGT said anything that was untrue. Also, who the heck in the military gets a $90,000 bonus? I think that may be stretching it a bit. I believe it caps off at 60.

Thank you.

kenny10
01-27-2009, 04:24 AM
http://www.marines.mil/news/messages/Pages/MARADMIN596-08.aspx
To whichever Marine that said he was a career planner and knew no such thing of being able to reenlist after the boat spaces closed out
Funny how I know these things and a career planner doesn't.............

DevilNuts
01-27-2009, 10:14 AM
Funny thing, I was talking to my career jammer yesterday and he mentioned that you can get back the money they take from your bonus at the end of the year when you do your taxes. I'm not sure if it's true or not, but definitely worth looking into.

In the long run though, being in the service should have nothing to do with bonuses. I joined the Marines as an open contract. No bonus, didn't care. I wanted to be a Marine. I got out, realized how much better my life was when my biggest problem in life was waking up at 530 to go running, did an about face and now I am fighting tooth and nail to get back in. I may get a bonus, maybe not. Either way it's worth it.

Just something to think about, the grass may not always be greener.

Oh, and to nobody specific: you give up the right to talk about sacrifice when you are trying to get something in return for your service. Sacrifice means giving something up, not doing something for more pay. Deployment isn't a sacrifice (for many) we got Marines lined up around the block who can't wait to deploy and get that money. Try not to make it sound like you're headed for the trenches, because everybody knows it's not like that anymore. [POG perspective, nobody get butt hurt over it.]

my 2¢

kenny10
01-27-2009, 01:25 PM
Funny thing, I was talking to my career jammer yesterday and he mentioned that you can get back the money they take from your bonus at the end of the year when you do your taxes. I'm not sure if it's true or not, but definitely worth looking into.

In the long run though, being in the service should have nothing to do with bonuses. I joined the Marines as an open contract. No bonus, didn't care. I wanted to be a Marine. I got out, realized how much better my life was when my biggest problem in life was waking up at 530 to go running, did an about face and now I am fighting tooth and nail to get back in. I may get a bonus, maybe not. Either way it's worth it.

Just something to think about, the grass may not always be greener.

Oh, and to nobody specific: you give up the right to talk about sacrifice when you are trying to get something in return for your service. Sacrifice means giving something up, not doing something for more pay. Deployment isn't a sacrifice (for many) we got Marines lined up around the block who can't wait to deploy and get that money. Try not to make it sound like you're headed for the trenches, because everybody knows it's not like that anymore. [POG perspective, nobody get butt hurt over it.]

my 2¢

You will get about half back in taxes
So you give up the right to talk about sacrifice because you want a bonus for your service but Marines are lined up ready for deployments to make MONEY?
are you serious? You talk about bonuses which is money and then talk about wanting to deploy for the money? If you didn't make more money deploying how many Marines do you think would be lined up then?
You list the primary source of motivation is money for deploying.
Only someone who has NEVER deployed would think its not a sacrifice? That is just a dumb statement and I don't even want to elaborate anymore on that because its that stupid
They are giving out bonuses to make Marines stay in, I would bet that if there were no bonus, we would be pretty far under our reenlistment goals
There is a reason why they are giving out bonuses...............

catous6
02-04-2009, 01:34 AM
I for one believe that the 28% capital gains tax is excessive!!!

kenny10
02-05-2009, 01:15 AM
Its kind of like I pay myself to serve and I pay myself to reenlist

imported_MarineMatt04
02-05-2009, 02:26 PM
Just go on deplyoment, then it won't be taxed. But since you already know that i'm assuming that you don't want to.

imported_NE of AZ
02-06-2009, 01:26 PM
Of all the things people are complaining about this is so small. What are you people? mercenaries? If you're in a combat zone and re-enlist it's tax free, if not then join the rest of us that had to pay and will continue to pay taxes. I received my 1st bonus in 1980, second in 84 both taxed, try this on people, I had my zone 3 cancelled because of boat space then reinstated 4 months later just before the end of the fiscal year. You think you're the only one's to have sacrificed? Well Vietnam 75 with 3/9, Beirut 76 w/3/2, IO in 79 for Jimmy Carter and twice more to Lebanon with the 24th(82&83) and not to forget GWI in 90-91, quit complaining and enjoy whatever you get. Semper Fi

imported_NE of AZ
02-06-2009, 01:34 PM
Kenny10, good reply when someone disagrees with you "shut the hell up" , once again you have proved the mercenary point, get out make 80k+ and pay major taxes on that, help keep social security going you freeloader(FYI:I have combat action with gold star and that was prior to this mess that baby scrub got us into). Semper Fi

IntelBubba
02-10-2009, 05:41 PM
I received a bonus this year and as much as it hurt to see 21K taken from it I was prepared for it (50K more then I had the day before). However, come tax time I am now above 100K for the year and now owing money even after claiming married and zero for the year. I have more heart burn about being in a higher tax bracket (owing money in April) then paying up front, so instead of getting any of the money taken from me this year I owe some. I think it should be taxed up front (if not in a Combat Zone) but not calculated into your yearly income during tax time.

kenny10
02-10-2009, 10:25 PM
Just go on deplyoment, then it won't be taxed. But since you already know that i'm assuming that you don't want to.

I've already been deployed 3 times

kenny10
02-10-2009, 10:27 PM
Kenny10, good reply when someone disagrees with you "shut the hell up" , once again you have proved the mercenary point, get out make 80k+ and pay major taxes on that, help keep social security going you freeloader(FYI:I have combat action with gold star and that was prior to this mess that baby scrub got us into). Semper Fi

Well congrats , what the hell do you want? A pat on the damn back? You get in here and give your opinion and then start rattling off your combat action gold star mess.................and blah blah blah good for you, good for you

kenny10
02-10-2009, 10:46 PM
I received a bonus this year and as much as it hurt to see 21K taken from it I was prepared for it (50K more then I had the day before). However, come tax time I am now above 100K for the year and now owing money even after claiming married and zero for the year. I have more heart burn about being in a higher tax bracket (owing money in April) then paying up front, so instead of getting any of the money taken from me this year I owe some. I think it should be taxed up front (if not in a Combat Zone) but not calculated into your yearly income during tax time.

Seriously? Oh thats just terrific, I feel for you

imported_MexDoc
02-13-2009, 06:20 PM
I'm a Navy FMF Corpsman and I do not get ANY bonus. Been to Iraq and afghanistan with the Marines and a 15 month tour with the Army. Be happy with what you get because most of us have to deploy for our bonus.

AMERICANWARFIGHTER
02-25-2009, 06:43 AM
With the Dems in control that obama guy in the white house, the bonuses will very soon be gone. People will have to start reenlisting just because they love the service. Crazy thought huh?

imported_Copecwby20
06-30-2009, 06:58 PM
The Re-Enlistment Bonuses just recently posted for FY10 for the Marine Corps, surprisingly.... there is still some money to be had.

sergeant wife indiana
09-25-2009, 02:46 PM
Could any of you tell me what takes so long to get a bonus? my husband did a 6 year re-enlistment with the Nat'l Guard. the bonus said half to be given up front (which it was) and the other half after completing 4 years. it has been 4 years and 2 months and still no other half of the bonus so he goes and checks with someone at the armory and they say 'it should be there any day now" this has been going on all month. I also think no, it shouldn't be taxed. if his 4 years were last year it would've been tax free as he was in iraq. then again they probably would've waited to give it to him this year since it's taking so long....does it realy take this long/ he's in good standings, no flags.

borbiusle
11-03-2009, 07:44 PM
Why all this hate on people who like bonuses? I understand we're not mercenaries but we're not slaves either. I could just as easily not re-enlist and mull around New York City collecting a massive BAH $2800 tax-free paycheck and $1000 worth of unemployment every month while going to school for free under the new GI Bill. If anything, bonuses show me that the Air Force actually has a vested interest in what I do and is willing to compensate me nicely for it. That, I can respect.

brianjpharris
11-07-2009, 05:39 AM
Kenny....the re-enlistment bonuses are taxed 28% up front and then guess what? The bonus bumped my tax bracket up to the 25% level and now I have to pay more taxes. What a freaking joke.

I know so many people in the Air Force that "fly over" a war zone to re-enlist tax free for like 20 minutes. What a gip!!!! Taxing the bonus is ridicuolous. What difference should it make if I am in a war zone or not? Really? Bonuses should not be taxed on that basis.

Just remeber that the government has been scaming and finding loop holes since day 1.

jazzy42233
07-28-2013, 06:58 PM
I have a question if anyone can answer please. I re enlisted 6 years in the national guard for 6yrs and was offered a 10, 000 bonus which was suppose to be paid the week after my ETS date which june 2 2013, I knew it could take up to 45 days to receive it but I havent seen anything yet. I contacted my readiness NCO which he said he contacted state and they said it has to go to the NGB 3 times first. I dont understsnd why I still do not have my bonus and why does it have to be reviewed? Is that just something they are telling me? Will I still get my bonus? Who else can I talk to so I can get my bonus? HELP PLEASE!!!