PDA

View Full Version : Imagery Analysis Retrain

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

imported_buckeyefan221
01-12-2009, 11:09 PM
I am leaving in March to Goodfellow to crosstrain into Imagery Analysis. I was wondering if anyone out there has crosstrained into or is going to be going to Goodfellow the same time I am for crosstraining. Just trying to have some explain how this whole thing is going to work and looking for some advice. Thanks!

imported_AirForceGuy
01-13-2009, 06:43 PM
I am leaving in March to Goodfellow to crosstrain into Imagery Analysis. I was wondering if anyone out there has crosstrained into or is going to be going to Goodfellow the same time I am for crosstraining. Just trying to have some explain how this whole thing is going to work and looking for some advice. Thanks!

Buckeyefan221,

I am also retraining into Imagery Analysis, my class date is in mid-April. I put Creech at the top of my dream sheet, as I am hoping to go there and be a Predator sensor operator. From what I have heard, you should know what your post-training assignment is going to be around 3 months into your training. Other than that, I don't know what to tell you, I have spoken to a couple of Imagery Analysts, they indicated that you can do a broad variety of things in that job, they both seemed to enjoy it. I'm looking forward to the opportunity to learn something new!

Mestisa
01-13-2009, 07:29 PM
I'll also be there mid-april! I was contemplating the sensor operator job, I just know about being at Creech! Especially if that means my husband gets assigned to Nellis. I'm really hoping to get back to Germany. We'll see.

imported_buckeyefan221
01-14-2009, 03:18 AM
Yeah I put down Hickam but I'm sure I'll end up back here at Langley because it is DGS-1. I thought the sensor operator job looked cool too but I don't think I would like working at Creech because that place is in the middle of nowhere. My class start date is 19 March. When is yalls? And have yall heard anything about living situations as far as room setup and amenities?

imported_Brooklynndevine
01-31-2009, 02:42 AM
I see that it's been a couple of weeks since anyone's been on here. I guess I'll add my 2 cents anyway. I currently work in the Intelligence division in AFSOC at Hurlburt as a 3CO. I start school in April. I've been in contact with Goodfellow quite a bit. I'm a tech select and I'm leaving my family down here. I'm applying for a BAH waiver so I can keep my BAH in Florida. Unfortunately I'll have to live in the dorms. Oh well. Apparently you can retain your BAS also. I've seen that there's a few more Tech selects going the same time as me so I think there is a slim chance that I'll be class leader. Thank God! Sorry for you who do get picked. I'm pretty much set to go just want to know when I'll get my assignment. I need to get overseas or just stay put. Those are my only 2 options where I can keep my house.:rolleyes:

sigecaps
01-31-2009, 03:04 AM
Imagery analysts (1N1) are getting a cool job that previously belonged to operations analysts (1NOs) starting later this year. You guys are getting targeteering, which is also taught at goodfellow, but a very cool job.

Capt Alfredo
01-31-2009, 04:32 AM
Imagery analysts (1N1) are getting a cool job that previously belonged to operations analysts (1NOs) starting later this year. You guys are getting targeteering, which is also taught at goodfellow, but a very cool job.

There are several 1N1s who are already working targeting missions...its already happening

imported_AirForceGuy
01-31-2009, 01:04 PM
I see that it's been a couple of weeks since anyone's been on here. I guess I'll add my 2 cents anyway. I currently work in the Intelligence division in AFSOC at Hurlburt as a 3CO. I start school in April. I've been in contact with Goodfellow quite a bit. I'm a tech select and I'm leaving my family down here. I'm applying for a BAH waiver so I can keep my BAH in Florida. Unfortunately I'll have to live in the dorms. Oh well. Apparently you can retain your BAS also. I've seen that there's a few more Tech selects going the same time as me so I think there is a slim chance that I'll be class leader. Thank God! Sorry for you who do get picked. I'm pretty much set to go just want to know when I'll get my assignment. I need to get overseas or just stay put. Those are my only 2 options where I can keep my house.:rolleyes:

Hey, I'm going to be starting in April as well, I'm a TSgt-select also but I'll be sewing on in March. So maybe I'll be a class leader, oh well. I'm leaving my family here as well, but I don't need to bother with trying to get a BAH waiver because the BAH here is only a few dollars less than that of Goodfellow. As far as when you'll get your assignment, I have heard that we should get it about 2 months into training, or about 120 days from completion of training. I think they do usually try to send people back to where they were previously in order to save money, but since this is a PCS for training and not a TDY, it may be different.

imported_Brooklynndevine
01-31-2009, 06:30 PM
Hey, I'm going to be starting in April as well, I'm a TSgt-select also but I'll be sewing on in March. So maybe I'll be a class leader, oh well. I'm leaving my family here as well, but I don't need to bother with trying to get a BAH waiver because the BAH here is only a few dollars less than that of Goodfellow. As far as when you'll get your assignment, I have heard that we should get it about 2 months into training, or about 120 days from completion of training. I think they do usually try to send people back to where they were previously in order to save money, but since this is a PCS for training and not a TDY, it may be different.

Yeah, I put on Tech in July with all others. How much fun is it going to be getting promoted in Tech. At least it gives me enough time to get to know my fellow retrainees so we can have a rockin' party on me.;)

BRUWIN
01-31-2009, 11:55 PM
Yeah, I put on Tech in July with all others. How much fun is it going to be getting promoted in Tech. At least it gives me enough time to get to know my fellow retrainees so we can have a rockin' party on me.;)

Whoah...just where do you guys think your going? You'll be eating gruel, with water. My friend...for the sake of this board I'll call him Prison Mike....just graduated. Prison Mike prefered prison over 1N1 school.

joseph.sackett@hill.af.mi
02-05-2009, 06:19 PM
I start school on April 1 and was wondering if you can get the SRB after tech school? Everyone at my work says yes and know people who have and pretty sure myself that you can, but i just wanted other opions to verify.

02-05-2009, 07:42 PM
I am also crosstraining into 1n1x1 and start class april. What carear field are you coming from??

imported_buckeyefan221
02-07-2009, 09:46 PM
I'm coming from 2A676 on F-15s. You?

02-08-2009, 02:00 PM
I'm coming from 2W1X1 off of F-16. Are you pretty excited about crosstraining? I know I can't wait to start training. My last duty day here is the 26th and then i'll start school on the first of April.

imported_buckeyefan221
02-09-2009, 11:34 AM
Yeah I'm real excited man. I final out here the 26 Feb and leave 16 Mar. My 1n1 class starts 19 Mar. Are you driving down to San Angelo?

02-09-2009, 04:55 PM
yeah i'm driving down there. Its going to suck due to the long drive, but I'd rather have my car so I can get around and find a place to stay and stuff. What about you??

imported_buckeyefan221
02-09-2009, 09:25 PM
yeah i'm driving down there. Its going to suck due to the long drive, but I'd rather have my car so I can get around and find a place to stay and stuff. What about you??

Awesome! I can catch a ride with you then lol. I sent you an email at work. I don't know if you got it or not.

imported_Brooklynndevine
02-11-2009, 12:21 AM
Anyone heard anything about the dorms there? I've talked to a dude I know going through the officer's course and he said they have a stove and a full fridge. But then again that is officer's quarters. Then again this might just be a chick question.

BRUWIN
02-11-2009, 01:51 AM
Anyone heard anything about the dorms there? I've talked to a dude I know going through the officer's course and he said they have a stove and a full fridge. But then again that is officer's quarters. Then again this might just be a chick question.

Unless you bring your family you guys will live in a normal dormroom and eat in the chow hall. Whether or not you lose BAS because of that I can't answer...I lived downtown when I went through.

imported_Brooklynndevine
02-11-2009, 02:47 AM
I opted to stay on base and leave my family so that I could keep my BAH and pay my mortgage. I believe I can keep my BAS too. Just wanted to know what the dorm came with or if I had to bring my whole house. If I'd be able to cook my own meals or if I would be eating lean cuisines the whole time I'm down there.:confused:

BRUWIN
02-11-2009, 02:51 AM
I opted to stay on base and leave my family so that I could keep my BAH and pay my mortgage. I believe I can keep my BAS too. Just wanted to know what the dorm came with or if I had to bring my whole house. If I'd be able to cook my own meals or if I would be eating lean cuisines the whole time I'm down there.:confused:

I was there several years ago so things could be different. I just remember my fellow retrainees always eating at the chow hall. They were staying in some pretty old dormrooms so maybe it's different now.

TRDL
02-11-2009, 03:10 AM
Depends on which dorms you get. Some of 'em are pretty old, only a small fridge and a connected bathroom, some of 'em do have a little kitchenette. I know that the 1n3's had an almost hotel like room, we had a kitchenette, but my wife and I were in upgraded Q's.

imported_buckeyefan221
02-11-2009, 12:49 PM

I've heard mixed things. Some people say that dorm rooms are old and ragity. I've heard some people have had to share a room with another person, you only get 8 channels on tv and the internet is snail speed dial up. Then I've heard some rooms are nice and you share kitchens/bathrooms. People have even said they stayed in billeting the whole time. I guess we are just going to have to wait and find out. What are you crosstraining into and what from?

cowdog
02-11-2009, 04:48 PM
I have been an Imagery Analyst since I retrained in 1999. There are different shifts for classes, day and evening.

There are several different aspects to the career field% find you the answer.

Hmmm... Guess someone didn't like what I posted originally. Shouldn't have been anything classified in what I posted, but basically, if you have any questions, ask and I can most likely get you an answer.

imported_71mach1
02-11-2009, 05:51 PM
Hi all, I have an August class date due to me being up at Elmendorf with an August DEROS. Just wondering if anybody has any info or opinions on this:
http://www.airforcetimes.com/news/2009/02/airforce_sensor_operator_021009w/

imported_Brooklynndevine
02-12-2009, 12:13 AM
I've heard mixed things. Some people say that dorm rooms are old and ragity. I've heard some people have had to share a room with another person, you only get 8 channels on tv and the internet is snail speed dial up. Then I've heard some rooms are nice and you share kitchens/bathrooms. People have even said they stayed in billeting the whole time. I guess we are just going to have to wait and find out. What are you crosstraining into and what from?

I will absolutely die if I have to share a room with someone for 6 months. I'm crosstraining out of 3COX1 into 1N1. My class starts on 15 APR. And you?

Kegler
02-12-2009, 03:08 AM
I was there several years ago so things could be different. I just remember my fellow retrainees always eating at the chow hall. They were staying in some pretty old dormrooms so maybe it's different now.

After you have been there things COULD be different? After you left BRUWIN about 75 new rules were made. The worst one had something to do with animals!! :D

BRUWIN
02-12-2009, 03:57 AM
After you have been there things COULD be different? After you left BRUWIN about 75 new rules were made. The worst one had something to do with animals!! :D

They have a rule about that now?

imported_AirForceGuy
02-12-2009, 05:38 AM
I will absolutely die if I have to share a room with someone for 6 months. I'm crosstraining out of 3COX1 into 1N1. My class starts on 15 APR. And you?

I can't imagine them making a permanent party member share a room with someone. What's your rank? If you're an NCO I'd say the odds of you having to share a room are about zero percent. Now, you might have to have a shared bathroom with someone, but shared living space? I don't think so... Anyways, I'm crosstraining out of 3C0X2 into 1N1 and I'm going to be in the same class as you.

imported_blacksheep1208
02-12-2009, 06:16 AM
I think that cross trainee's end up in billeting at the Angelo Inn on Goodfellow. Or at least that is where they had the NCO's that were cross training staying in 2003 when I was in tech school there. Who knows what they are doing now. I guess you lucky future sensor operators will find out soon enough.

imported_buckeyefan221
02-12-2009, 12:22 PM

I'm crosstraining from 2A676 on F-15's to 1N1. My class start date is 19 Mar. I'm and SSgt so I doubt I will have to share a room. So if you are an NCO too you should be fine.

imported_71mach1
02-12-2009, 10:21 PM
Have any of you found out your follow-on yet?

imported_Brooklynndevine
02-13-2009, 01:16 AM
I can't imagine them making a permanent party member share a room with someone. What's your rank? If you're an NCO I'd say the odds of you having to share a room are about zero percent. Now, you might have to have a shared bathroom with someone, but shared living space? I don't think so... Anyways, I'm crosstraining out of 3C0X2 into 1N1 and I'm going to be in the same class as you.

I'm a Staff and will be putting on Tech in July. I got caught up in the NCORP. And I forgot who asked but I have tried everything to secure an assignment before I leave. Even coming right back to the unit I currently work in. I also am lucky enough to speak to the functional chiefs at PACAF, USAFE and AFSOC and they can't do anything for me either. AFPC said they absolutely won't consider me for any assignment until I'm half way through school. We'll see what happens.

imported_buckeyefan221
02-17-2009, 03:34 PM
We'll get a follow on 120 days out from our projected grad date.

imported_buckeyefan221
02-20-2009, 01:59 PM
Anybody else out there going 1N1 in the next month or so??

imported_RollTide
03-02-2009, 12:38 AM
I'll also be starting class on March 19th. I'm a SSgt retraining out of 3C0X2. I put down Creech for my assignment of choice in hopes of becoming a sensor operator. Are you guys choosing to stay on base or were you told you have to? Since you have to PCS for school I thought you had to live on the economy. I've already found a place off base to live.

imported_buckeyefan221
03-02-2009, 01:16 AM
I know a guy who retrained into 1n4 and he said you had to live on base unless the permanent party dorms and billeting are full. I hear you get a choice on meal card or bas though
. No bah unless you have a family.

imported_RollTide
03-02-2009, 03:51 PM
I think I'm going to call down there and find out for sure. I'm trying to sell a house here and I won't be able to make my mortgage payments if I don't get BAH.

Mestisa
03-03-2009, 03:59 PM
I also got caught up in the NCORP stuff. Currently I'm a 3S071, my class starts 29 April. I'll be driving from Minot AFB. Nice 24 hour drive all to myself, gotta love it!

imported_RollTide
03-03-2009, 04:23 PM
You got me beat. I only have a 15 and a half hour drive. By the way, I talked to Goodfellow and they said you have the option to stay on base or off base. It's up to you.

Mestisa
03-03-2009, 04:29 PM
I'm pretty sure that I"ll have to stay on base, since my husband (mil) and our kids will be staying in base housing here at Minot. Has anyone received any information besides what's posted on the ETCA website? Do we need to be contacting lodging to make reservations??

imported_buckeyefan221
03-03-2009, 04:41 PM
I called lodging and they reserved a room for 10 days bc I don't know ill have to find a place off base or not. I would call to be safe.

Mestisa
03-03-2009, 04:51 PM
Ok, I just made reservations for 14 days.

imported_71mach1
03-03-2009, 07:57 PM
I have a POC at the school for questions. Send me a PM and I'll get you a phone number.

sweatyAZ
03-04-2009, 03:44 AM
Damnit, since recent discussions with Bruwin I decided to take a look into the 1N careers to see if it might be a better fit for me. Found out though that if your in a 2A afsc you can only retrain into other 1A and 2A career fields. Oh well, good luck to those of you who are on your way.

imported_Brooklynndevine
03-05-2009, 03:56 PM
I called Dorm Management and they said it was a 50/50 chance that we could be rooming with someone. It's the luck to the draw. Either you get into the elite dorms with a kitchen and a queen bed with a room all to yourself or the crappy ones with twin beds where you are staring at someone across your room for 6 months. No kitchen.

imported_AirForceGuy
03-05-2009, 04:38 PM
I called Dorm Management and they said it was a 50/50 chance that we could be rooming with someone. It's the luck to the draw. Either you get into the elite dorms with a kitchen and a queen bed with a room all to yourself or the crappy ones with twin beds where you are staring at someone across your room for 6 months. No kitchen.

Did you tell Dorm Management that you're a Tech-Select? Look, I'm not one of those "Hur hur I'm a TSgt I'm special" kind of people but hell rank is supposed to have its privileges in the military and I'll be damned if I'm going to spend 6 months rooming with someone like I'm an A1C fresh out of basic. I don't really care if I have to share a bathroom or kitchen with someone, but my living space/sleeping quarters? No thanks!

Mestisa
03-05-2009, 04:48 PM
Just curious...but have you looked into living off base? There's a few of us that are getting apartments at Angelo Place. In fact I'm looking for any female roommates! I know a few guys but no females that are staying down there and I really don't feel like sharing living space with college students. If you're female and looking for a roomie, shoot me a PM!

imported_Brooklynndevine
03-05-2009, 06:08 PM
No. I just told him I was a Staff. I wish I could move off base. But I have a family here in Florida and my mortgage is not cheap. Gotta save every penny. But thanks for the offer!

imported_Modus
03-26-2009, 07:18 PM
I'm a 3A, E-5. Is this a terribly difficult career field? I'm only trying to get in it so I can become a Sensor Operator. I hear the tech school is no joke...

BRUWIN
03-26-2009, 08:53 PM
I'm a 3A, E-5. Is this a terribly difficult career field? I'm only trying to get in it so I can become a Sensor Operator. I hear the tech school is no joke...

You'll be fine. There are washouts but it's typically the pipeliners who's desire to work in the career field or even in the Air Force was questionable to begin with. For the most part....retrainees do very well.

imported_Lt Bullitt
03-31-2009, 05:40 PM
Damnit, since recent discussions with Bruwin I decided to take a look into the 1N careers to see if it might be a better fit for me. Found out though that if your in a 2A afsc you can only retrain into other 1A and 2A career fields. Oh well, good luck to those of you who are on your way.

Where is this located at? I have an open training window as a FTA and I'm currently in a 2A career field. Really want to get out of it and try something new.

Gunner7
03-31-2009, 06:57 PM
Where is this located at? I have an open training window as a FTA and I'm currently in a 2A career field. Really want to get out of it and try something new.

That restriction is only for second term retrainees in the NCORP. It does not effect FTA as they can move into any AFSC with an opening that they are qualified for. I would ask for an exception to policy for the 1A/2A requirement as the 1N1 career field is critically manned and needs help. The truth is the retraining advisory notes are not checked as often as they should be.

imported_Modus
03-31-2009, 07:06 PM
You'll be fine. There are washouts but it's typically the pipeliners who's desire to work in the career field or even in the Air Force was questionable to begin with. For the most part....retrainees do very well.

Really, because I was looking at this and it had me wondering.

TECHNICAL TRAINING IS AT GOODFELLOW AFB TX. FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION CONTACT HQ AIA/DPT, DSN 969-2807. BACKGROUND EDUCATION IN ALGEBRA, GEOMETRY,TRIGONOMETRY, CHEMISTRY/PHYSICS IS DESIRABLE

BRUWIN
03-31-2009, 07:16 PM
Really, because I was looking at this and it had me wondering.

TECHNICAL TRAINING IS AT GOODFELLOW AFB TX. FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION CONTACT HQ AIA/DPT, DSN 969-2807. BACKGROUND EDUCATION IN ALGEBRA, GEOMETRY,TRIGONOMETRY, CHEMISTRY/PHYSICS IS DESIRABLE

I'm in the career field...can't recall why those are there. Algebra is useful in understanding some thoery...other than that computers do all the rest now. And I can't understand why the hell chemistry is even there. Ignore that stuff dude. I was a retrainee off the flightline 10 years ago and I barely graduated high school...tech school was not a problem if you truly apply yourself.

imported_Modus
03-31-2009, 07:27 PM
I put in for it so now I'm just waiting...the price I pay for wanting to be a Sensor Operator.

BRUWIN
03-31-2009, 07:30 PM
I put in for it so now I'm just waiting...the price I pay for wanting to be a Sensor Operator.

Hope it works out. Sensor Ops is supposed to be it's own career field soon. It will cut a lot of the time off the school for you.

imported_Modus
03-31-2009, 09:06 PM
I was talking to the CFM for 1N1 and he had no clue when it was going to open up. I got my hopes up because another operator was telling me that he might let me skip the 1N1 school, and go straight to the Sensor course. He shot me down though.

imported_LOAL-D
03-31-2009, 09:21 PM
I was talking to the CFM for 1N1 and he had no clue when it was going to open up. I got my hopes up because another operator was telling me that he might let me skip the 1N1 school, and go straight to the Sensor course. He shot me down though.

They were supposed to implement an abbreviated 1N1 course for folks going to Creech for SO IQT. I dont know what became of that. First, you would have to identified for an SO training slot. When I went through, many moons ago, it was luck of the draw nearing graduation time... good luck, L-D

BRUWIN
03-31-2009, 09:23 PM

The seperate sensor op career field has been a nightmare to reconcile. There is a lot of politics involved and if you ask me it's going to come down to the CSAF saying "since you guys can't work it out this is what you'll do".

imported_LOAL-D
03-31-2009, 09:50 PM
The seperate sensor op career field has been a nightmare to reconcile. There is a lot of politics involved and if you ask me it's going to come down to the CSAF saying "since you guys can't work it out this is what you'll do".

True, but this issue has been around since at least 2000. With the "war on terror" and trying to exponentially inrease orbits it keeps getting put on the back burner. I DO know there were a lot of good folks who have done this work for a long time offering good, concrete proposals to the leadearship, for what its worth.

BRUWIN
03-31-2009, 10:06 PM
True, but this issue has been around since at least 2000. With the "war on terror" and trying to exponentially inrease orbits it keeps getting put on the back burner. I DO know there were a lot of good folks who have done this work for a long time offering good, concrete proposals to the leadearship, for what its worth.

I have no doubt it needs to be a seperate career field...I've been saying that since 1998 when I first came into the career field. However, it sounds easier said than done. Last I heard the 1A field it is merging with wanted to roll in the entire number of 1N1s currently performing as Sensor Ops into the new career field and that was the holdup. I don't know if that is still the issue. If it is...we are already currently critcally manned and we can't afford to lose all those people.

imported_Lt Bullitt
04-01-2009, 12:46 AM
That restriction is only for second term retrainees in the NCORP. It does not effect FTA as they can move into any AFSC with an opening that they are qualified for. I would ask for an exception to policy for the 1A/2A requirement as the 1N1 career field is critically manned and needs help. The truth is the retraining advisory notes are not checked as often as they should be.

Cool. Thanks for the info. Anybody know if there is a SRB for this career?

imported_Modus
04-01-2009, 01:20 AM
I don't know how up to date that is.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/airforcebonuses/l/blreenbonus.htm

BRUWIN
04-01-2009, 02:21 AM
I don't know how up to date that is.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/airforcebonuses/l/blreenbonus.htm

Don't know about the other career fields but 1N1 is spot on.

imported_Lt Bullitt
04-01-2009, 03:24 AM
Nice... Thanks for the good info again.

Another question from that would be. How could I take advantage of this being a first term airmen and cross training in?

imported_71mach1
04-01-2009, 07:16 PM
Should be fairly easy. According to the latest retraining advisory they need 110 FTA. I'm not a FTA but I got approved for 1N1 in about a day. It went really smooth.

imported_Lt Bullitt
04-02-2009, 04:07 AM
Cool... thanks for the info. I have another person in my shop who just put in for retrain as well. Hope to have something back to me after I'm done with ALS.

imported_buckeyefan221
04-03-2009, 08:52 PM
If anyone is coming to Goodfellow for 1n1 or any intel training I can let you know how it is down here because I am currently in 1N1 school. If you are single the best bet is to live off base at angelo place apts. Its an apt with 4 bedrooms each having their own bathroom with a shared kitchen, living room. laundry room. They are pretty nice. They also have workout room, pool/2 jacuzzis, and game room all for 400 a month. You can visit angeloplace.com to fill out and application which is free with no deposit. Plus you can pick your roommates. If you are interested let me know so I can get a credit for recommending. As far as school goes there is an A shift and a B shift. A shift is 630-1530 with 1600-1700 pt on mon, wed, thurs. B shift which I am on is 1545-0030 with pt at 1300-1400 on the same days. I recommend nights. If you have any other questions feel free to email me at antonik221@hotmail.com. :)

Mi11er
04-04-2009, 12:11 AM
New to this forum... so hello to all...

Anyone heard anything further on the completion of the 1U0X1 career field?? I have a Chief I am talking to that gives me some pretty good info on it but I'm just wondering if anyone else has any updates? With all the 1N1 talk I figured there might be some info bouncing around.

Thanks

imported_71mach1
04-17-2009, 05:36 AM
Been awhile since anybody posted...I guess that means school's going well? Any tips for those of us getting ready to start class?

imported_buckeyefan221
04-21-2009, 08:36 PM
I replied to your pm mach. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Mi11er
04-22-2009, 03:49 AM
I have some questions.... I am gathering that this is pretty much the pipeline for predator/reaper sensor operators. Are you given the option to take that route or is it by selection? Also once you go that route are you confined to it or is it only for a certain period of time? Finally, has anyone heard squat about that new 1U0X1 AFSC!?!?!?!?

imported_Modus
04-22-2009, 05:11 AM
Its all in this thread or the UAV thread. I'm waiting for my EPR to closeout to do a letter of exception for this career field.

imported_Lt Bullitt
04-29-2009, 04:17 AM
Just put in my formal application today. How long did it take for most people to hear back after their commander signed off on them?

imported_LOAL-D
04-29-2009, 04:21 AM
Just put in my formal application today. How long did it take for most people to hear back after their commander signed off on them?

For retraining as an IA?

imported_Lt Bullitt
04-29-2009, 04:41 AM
For retraining as an IA?

Yes. I've sent in my 422 and EPR's to the commander for his approval; after that he shoots it to AFPC for my release?

imported_LOAL-D
04-29-2009, 04:46 AM
Yes. I've sent in my 422 and EPR's to the commander for his approval; after that he shoots it to AFPC for my release?

Yep, it's always easier if you're retraining from an overage career field, good luck

imported_Lt Bullitt
04-29-2009, 04:56 AM
There are plenty of us F22 guys looking for other jobs now.... LOL..

imported_71mach1
04-29-2009, 05:22 PM

After my commander signed off I had a class date within two days. I've heard it can take months for some people, but get everything done that they ask for and it should be pretty painless.

imported_71mach1
05-06-2009, 07:45 PM
I replied to your pm mach. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Sent you a new PM Thanks

imported_71mach1
05-06-2009, 07:51 PM
New SRB list still looks good for 1N1's

4. THE FOLLOWING IS THE COMPLETE SRB LIST EFFECTIVE 1 JUN 2009 (SEE NOTES):

AFSC CLEAR-TEXT ZONE A ZONE B ZONE C ZONE E
1N1X1 IMAGERY ANALYSIS 6.0 7.0 6.0 -

imported_Modus
05-07-2009, 01:38 AM
I'm still waiting for my request to go through.

imported_Lt Bullitt
05-07-2009, 09:23 PM
Still waiting myself. Maybe I'll get something when orders drop?

imported_Modus
05-09-2009, 01:52 AM
I don't think there are any slots left for 1N1, if you look at the Retraining Advisory...

I know the Tech slots they did have were going down every couple days.

BRUWIN
05-09-2009, 02:50 AM
Plenty more coming on the FY10 retraining advisory if you can hang on that long.

imported_Burton
05-09-2009, 05:50 PM
So is it possible to receive a class date before the FY10 quotas are out? Or, if the new quotas aren't out, will they hold your request until they do come out and stack you at the top of the list for the new year? I'm deployed, but also stationed overseas and my DEROS is Jun 2010; for me to apply I have to be within my 9-15 month mark of my DEROS, the problem is if the new quotas don't come out until late Aug or early Sept like I'm hearing, I will be cutting it close to get a class date before my window closes. Anyone have any input?

imported_buckeyefan221
05-12-2009, 06:17 AM
Just an update.. I have been in class for about 2 months now and my class already recieved and assignment. AFPC is starting to make this process quicker. I got orders to Wright Patterson.. 2 guys in my class got Cannon and one got Langley. A female tech in my class got lucky and got hickam. Most likely if you get in this career field you will start out stateside.

Mi11er
05-12-2009, 01:49 PM
how are they working the sensor operator side?? do those people make it known that's what they want to do or is there another way they are doing it? please advise.

imported_Burton
05-12-2009, 05:06 PM
Wright-Patt huh? What do you think about that? I was there 03-06 before going to Alaska and that is where I am trying to get back to whether I retrain or not...

BRUWIN
05-12-2009, 07:23 PM
how are they working the sensor operator side?? do those people make it known that's what they want to do or is there another way they are doing it? please advise.

The 1U AFSC for Sensor Ops will be ready for the FY10 retraining cycle. FY10 qouta's should be out soon since this retraining cycle is almost to a close. Apply then and you should get it easily.

Mi11er
05-12-2009, 10:36 PM
Sir... you have quite possibly just given me the greatest news I have heard all year. I am currently a code 43 and will finally be eligible to apply this august when they drop. Now...what are the odds they will have a large re-up bonus... bah... I will just stick with getting the job... more important right now.

imported_Modus
05-12-2009, 11:02 PM
The 1U AFSC for Sensor Ops will be ready for the FY10 retraining cycle. FY10 qouta's should be out soon since this retraining cycle is almost to a close. Apply then and you should get it easily.

That's great news.

Q1Checkride
05-13-2009, 01:51 AM
Now...what are the odds they will have a large re-up bonus... bah... I will just stick with getting the job... more important right now.

considering that last bullet, probably pretty good. ATC (1C1) has had zone a/b/c SRBs in the 5-6-7 multiplier ranges for the better part of the last decade.

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/7488/newpicture1d.png

imported_Burton
05-13-2009, 03:30 AM
Is there anyway to find out the day the new quotas come out other then checking the advisory every single day? Anyone have any idea how many Tech slots they actually had available in 09?

imported_71mach1
05-13-2009, 05:32 AM
Just an update.. I have been in class for about 2 months now and my class already recieved and assignment. AFPC is starting to make this process quicker. I got orders to Wright Patterson.. 2 guys in my class got Cannon and one got Langley. A female tech in my class got lucky and got hickam. Most likely if you get in this career field you will start out stateside.

Awesome! Sent you a PM!

imported_Modus
05-13-2009, 02:05 PM
Aircrew Fundamentals?

BRUWIN
05-13-2009, 03:32 PM
Aircrew Fundamentals?

You will be considered aircrew. You must pass a flight physical and you will wear a flight suit. And you will most likely suffer significant PTSD.

imported_Modus
05-13-2009, 04:11 PM
Yea I understand that, I was trying to figure out what that course entails.

imported_71mach1
05-13-2009, 04:28 PM

Does this mean that they're going to stop pulling students from 1N1 school soon? I really hope they've figured this out before I start class in August.

BRUWIN
05-13-2009, 05:30 PM
Does this mean that they're going to stop pulling students from 1N1 school soon? I really hope they've figured this out before I start class in August.

Correct...they won't come out of the 1N1 school. However, a lot of those 1N1s that are currently sensor ops will stay in the new AFSC and some will return to 1N1 as they finish thier assignments. Exactly who stays and who goes will be a work in progress for quite some time to come.

imported_Burton
05-13-2009, 06:33 PM
So what are the possible assignments for the Sensor Op's? Is it just Creech or is there more available?

BRUWIN
05-13-2009, 06:43 PM
So what are the possible assignments for the Sensor Op's? Is it just Creech or is there more available?

Cannon. Being a 1N1 I'm not all up on the 1U requirements...I just know what my career field is losing. I seem to remember being told that the 1U field will cross over into some other ISR platforms with dedicated sensor operators as well. That should enable them to get other assignments down the road.

imported_Burton
05-13-2009, 10:49 PM
So was I wrong about Creech? Or is it Creech and Cannon?

imported_LOAL-D
05-13-2009, 10:58 PM

The FTU is still at Creech at the present time (for MQ-1s) The FTU for MQ-9s is in New Mexico

Mi11er
05-13-2009, 11:53 PM
Well I hope they add some other bases... I wouldnt mind Creech but I have heard nightmare stories about Cannon...

Either way the package will drop as soon as the FY10 slots become available and the only thing on my Dreamsheet will be Creech. Praying to the assignment gods for this one... and that oh so charming functional manager who has to let me out of the COP career field. I think that is a larger hurdle than any.

BRUWIN
05-14-2009, 04:58 AM

You can go to either.

imported_71mach1
05-14-2009, 05:00 AM
[QUOTE=Mi11er;226893]Well I hope they add some other bases... I wouldnt mind Creech but I have heard nightmare stories about Cannon...

Yeah, Cannon is my biggest fear right now. I'll go ANYWHERE else on the authorized list...just please don't send me to Cannon! I spent 4 years at Dyess...I don't need anymore of that middle-of-nowhere-nothing -to -see-or-do part of the country. But as a three-level it looks like our choices are pretty limited.

imported_RollTide
05-14-2009, 06:44 AM
I'm in 1N1 school right now and I got my assignment the other day. I'm going to Cannon. It wasn't on my dreamsheet. I'll be assigned to the 3rd Special Operations Squadron. I'm assuming as a sensor operator on the Reaper. I'm a little indifferent about the assignment. I wanted to be a sensor operator but not at Cannon. I had Creech as my number 1 on my dreamsheet. The mission at Cannon is going to be sweet, but I've heard nothing but bad things about Clovis.

Bruwin, do you know anyone at Cannon that I could get in contact with that can answer some questions I have?

BRUWIN
05-14-2009, 12:14 PM
I'm in 1N1 school right now and I got my assignment the other day. I'm going to Cannon. It wasn't on my dreamsheet. I'll be assigned to the 3rd Special Operations Squadron. I'm assuming as a sensor operator on the Reaper. I'm a little indifferent about the assignment. I wanted to be a sensor operator but not at Cannon. I had Creech as my number 1 on my dreamsheet. The mission at Cannon is going to be sweet, but I've heard nothing but bad things about Clovis.

Bruwin, do you know anyone at Cannon that I could get in contact with that can answer some questions I have?

I will in about two weeks....she just PCS'd there. let me check if she has arrived yet

imported_RollTide
05-14-2009, 03:30 PM
I would appreciate that. Is she going to be a sensor operator in the 3rd SOS?

BRUWIN
05-14-2009, 03:48 PM
I would appreciate that. Is she going to be a sensor operator in the 3rd SOS?

Yes...I'll PM you when I come up with something.

imported_RollTide
05-14-2009, 03:56 PM
Awesome. Thanks.

imported_71mach1
05-14-2009, 08:35 PM

So how long have you been in school? I have Creech at the bottom my dream-sheet. Is anybody getting Creech now? Have you heard of anyone getting Nellis or Schriever? Is Cannon a four year controlled tour?

imported_RollTide
05-15-2009, 12:01 AM
So how long have you been in school? I have Creech at the bottom my dream-sheet. Is anybody getting Creech now? Have you heard of anyone getting Nellis or Schriever? Is Cannon a four year controlled tour?

I've been in school for about 2 months. I'm supposed to graduate 4 Sep. There are 2 pipeliners in my class going to Creech. I know of 2 other prior service people who are about to graduate going to Creech. I'm sure there are more going. I don't know of anyone going to Nellis or Schriever. I haven't gotten my orders yet, so I don't know how long the tour is. I imagine it's 4, though.

imported_2W1and1N1
05-15-2009, 01:37 AM
ROLLTIDE let me know what all questions you have. I was stationed at Cannon for three years...then went to Korea...then to AFSOC...found out I was going to go back to Cannon. I am crossing training to 1N1 right now. I Graduate in August, then to Creech. So, let me know if anyone knows anyone out there.

imported_RollTide
05-15-2009, 06:27 AM
2W1and1N1, I sent you a PM.

needmorecowbell
05-19-2009, 12:19 AM
Any idea how long the process is for retraining into 1U once the training info drops?

Mi11er
05-19-2009, 12:58 AM
Hopefully not long as I am chomping at the bit to get the hell out of SF and into something worthwhile. I was told that the slots would be dropping sometime in June/July...that was straight from AFPC. I will be pretty worthless that day until my package is in.

imported_2W1and1N1
05-19-2009, 07:03 AM
I understand there is alot of talk in here of 1U AFSC. I can tell you I have talked personal with the 1N1 Functional manager about this. I myself am going to Creech and was wondering the same. He said that the course, ie cfetp's have been set. However, there is no time line set officially for this transfer. He told me it could be a year to three years for this. I have talked to many other creditable sources who say the same. As of right now they just want 1N1's, 1N4's, and 1A's to do the Sensor route. Even when it does change, there is plans in the works to give 1N1's options. If you really wanta stay 1n1, it being critically manning and all, the air force doesn't wanta kick you into 1U by default.

imported_Modus
05-19-2009, 05:51 PM
Are you talking about your functional or the CFM? Because I asked the CFM in March he had no clue about anything.

imported_71mach1
05-19-2009, 09:40 PM
Ok, this one is for all the current students...where are you living? I will be bringing the family down from Alaska with me, and we're looking for a place to stay while I'm in school. Is everyone staying in an apartment? Any recommendations? Heard anything about letting students stay in base housing? Any parts of town to avoid? And the most important question, how many of you are going to be around in August to help me move in? :D

I do greatly appreciate all the info everyone provides on here. It's keeping me from going crazy while FOREVER patiently waiting for my class to start.

imported_Lt Bullitt
06-03-2009, 06:22 AM
I still haven't heard anything back yet and its been sitting for a month and a half now. I am tempted to pull my app and apply for something else.

Mi11er
06-03-2009, 11:34 AM
I wouldn't do that just yet... by your name I take it your an officer so that changes things a little on the process I would think. Also I do not have all the details on how an officer is to go about retraining, but, on the enlisted side an airman applying for a retrain in their first term of enlistment must meet three boards and there is only 1 board a month. Career airman only have to meet 1 board. So my advice is to give it a little more time, if you were denied at your first board I think you would have already been notified. Again, I am not sure that the officer side of the house is the same as enlisted, you should call the retraining office and ask them how many boards your package has to sit through. That will at least give you a better timeline.

cowdog
06-03-2009, 05:11 PM
71mach1, when I went through training they didn't allow me and the family to stay in base housing because of the short timelime. We lived downtown in an apartment, not too far from base.

imported_Lt Bullitt
06-03-2009, 08:42 PM
Nope not an officer. Lt. Bullitt comes from the movie "Bullitt" with Steve McQueen. I own a Bullitt Mustang so its just used as my name on forums.

But your saying since I'm a FTA that I will be seen by all 3 boards before approval? I thought I had read that if you don't pass the first board then you moved to the next board?

Mi11er
06-03-2009, 11:44 PM
Yah as a FTA you must meet 3 QRP boards per the retraining AFI. So just hold tight you have another 1-2 months until you hear something. The third Tuesday of the month is the board if I remember correctly too, so if you sent your package in after that then you would have missed the initial board for that month. So take that into consideration also. You will get your slot though, they need a ton of FTA in Imagery so just hold tight and your day will come once you have met all three boards.

Max Power
06-04-2009, 01:40 AM
Uhhhh...you can meet UP to 3 boards. If you get selected on the first board once your package is in then you don't meet another board. You only go on to the next months board if you are not selected for the current months board.

imported_71mach1
06-04-2009, 02:50 PM
71mach1, when I went through training they didn't allow me and the family to stay in base housing because of the short timelime. We lived downtown in an apartment, not too far from base.

Yeah, Just called housing and they won't let you stay unless you can sign a 12-month lease...and I don't plan on staying at Goodfellow that long!

imported_71mach1
06-04-2009, 03:08 PM
Nope not an officer. Lt. Bullitt comes from the movie "Bullitt" with Steve McQueen. I own a Bullitt Mustang so its just used as my name on forums.

Cool, what year is your Bullitt? My dad built a '68 Mustang to look like the one in the movie. He made me watch that chase scene so many times when I was a kid. And if you can't tell I've got a '71 Mach 1. I'm looking at getting a late model Mustang once I finish up 1N1 school...got any recommendations?

imported_71mach1
06-04-2009, 03:24 PM
Cool article:
http://www.goodfellow.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123151785
Did any of you at the school get to see the ceremony?

And back to the career field questions...is there a way to find out what the 1N1 mission is at each assignment? Still trying to arrange my dream-sheet. Thanks

imported_RollTide
06-05-2009, 04:00 PM
Cool article:
http://www.goodfellow.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123151785
Did any of you at the school get to see the ceremony?

And back to the career field questions...is there a way to find out what the 1N1 mission is at each assignment? Still trying to arrange my dream-sheet. Thanks

You can forget about your dreamsheet. They are going to put you where they need you. You might get lucky and get something on your dreamsheet, but it's just a crapshoot. I got Cannon and as you can guess it wasn't on my dreamsheet. I put Creech one and Hurlburt two. There are people in a couple classes behind me that got Creech and Hurlburt who didn't have it on their dreemsheet. It doesn't make sense.

imported_71mach1
06-06-2009, 04:45 PM
I put Creech one and Hurlburt two. There are people in a couple classes behind me that got Creech and Hurlburt who didn't have it on their dreemsheet. It doesn't make sense.

Have you tried "trading" assignments with anybody? Will they let you do that? Another school question, how do they decide if you are going to class at day or night? My wife is looking at getting a job while we're down there, but that might be hard with kids if I'm switching back and forth between shifts.

imported_RollTide
06-07-2009, 03:18 PM
Prior service are not allowed to trade assignments. I'm not sure why, but you can't. For my class it was up to the class leader to decide who was on days or nights. I'm on nights and I've only had to switch back to days for one block and I was told that would be the only block. Also, starting in September the course is going to be 3 months instead of 6. I don't know what all the changes are going to be, but I do know that the new passing standard is going to be 80% instead of 70%.

imported_71mach1
06-08-2009, 09:53 PM
Also, starting in September the course is going to be 3 months instead of 6. I don't know what all the changes are going to be, but I do know that the new passing standard is going to be 80% instead of 70%.

Oh sure, the month after I start class they shorten it. So that means people starting class in November will graduate before me?

imported_Lt Bullitt
06-10-2009, 04:31 AM
Cool, what year is your Bullitt? My dad built a '68 Mustang to look like the one in the movie. He made me watch that chase scene so many times when I was a kid. And if you can't tell I've got a '71 Mach 1. I'm looking at getting a late model Mustang once I finish up 1N1 school...got any recommendations?

I own a 2001 Bullitt. I would love a 68 fastback if there is still a nice re-up bonus with this job. But I really like the new design of the 2010's as well.

After everyone (prior enlisted) found out they were selected... How long was the wait from that point till the start of your class?

imported_71mach1
06-10-2009, 06:02 AM
After everyone (prior enlisted) found out they were selected... How long was the wait from that point till the start of your class?

Are you stateside or overseas? If you're stateside then they should give you a class date within a few months. If you're overseas, then you'll be waiting until they give you a class date around your DEROS. Which is why I've been waiting for a year!

imported_Lt Bullitt
06-10-2009, 07:16 AM
I'm stateside.

So by the time this is all ready I'll have have to extend 18 months without reenlisting. Just trying to get any idea of what I'm heading for.

imported_OnMyWayOut
06-10-2009, 05:27 PM
E-5 cross trainees are making it harder for E-4's to pass the Staff test. In my office more than half of the NCO's are cross trainees. It's a top reason myself and many other 1N1's / 1N0's are getting out.

imported_71mach1
06-10-2009, 08:57 PM
E-5 cross trainees are making it harder for E-4's to pass the Staff test. In my office more than half of the NCO's are cross trainees. It's a top reason myself and many other 1N1's / 1N0's are getting out.

So let me see if I understand you...yourself, and others like you, are leaving a critically manned career field with a huge SRB, because people like myself, and many others on this thread, are keeping you from making Staff, thus causing this to be a critically manned career field? Not trying to sound like a smartass, just trying to understand your post.

Anyway, are you getting out and going into a 1N1 related field? And how is Langley as a 1N1?

imported_OnMyWayOut
06-10-2009, 09:17 PM
So let me see if I understand you...yourself, and others like you, are leaving a critically manned career field with a huge SRB, because people like myself, and many others on this thread, are keeping you from making Staff, thus causing this to be a critically manned career field? Not trying to sound like a smartass, just trying to understand your post.

Anyway, are you getting out and going into a 1N1 related field? And how is Langley as a 1N1?

I think you have it right. Alot of 1N1 and 1N0 airman are getting out because NCO's are cross training into the Intel career field and building up our staff numbers. We show _____ number of E-5's but a big percentage of them are right out of tech school with no Imagery Analyst or Intelligence Analyst skill sets. How are they supposed to support and supervise E-4's and below have quadrupal the time in the 1N career field? In my 6 years of experience I've seen that the majority can't. Nothing against a cross trainee NCO but you just don't have the experience required.

As a 1N1 on Langley you have the 30th Intel Squadron (DGS-1) and the Combat Targeting and Intel Group (15th, 36th and 20th at Offut). I'm at the 36th doing the targeting mission. Its good stuff.

imported_71mach1
06-10-2009, 09:42 PM
I think you have it right. Alot of 1N1 and 1N0 airman are getting out because NCO's are cross training into the Intel career field and building up our staff numbers. We show _____ number of E-5's but a big percentage of them are right out of tech school with no Imagery Analyst or Intelligence Analyst skill sets. How are they supposed to support and supervise E-4's and below have quadrupal the time in the 1N career field? In my 6 years of experience I've seen that the majority can't. Nothing against a cross trainee NCO but you just don't have the experience required.

As a 1N1 on Langley you have the 30th Intel Squadron (DGS-1) and the Combat Targeting and Intel Group (15th, 36th and 20th at Offut). I'm at the 36th doing the targeting mission. Its good stuff.

So it sounds like you like the job, just not your supervision. I can tell you in my 12 years of service that I've only had maybe 2 out of 11 supervisors that were the same AFSC as me. And vice versa, I've only supervised 2 out of 5 members who were the same AFSC as me. In other words, if they're a good supervisor it shouldn't matter what career field they are or how long they've been in it.

imported_OnMyWayOut
06-11-2009, 12:23 AM
So it sounds like you like the job, just not your supervision. I can tell you in my 12 years of service that I've only had maybe 2 out of 11 supervisors that were the same AFSC as me. And vice versa, I've only supervised 2 out of 5 members who were the same AFSC as me. In other words, if they're a good supervisor it shouldn't matter what career field they are or how long they've been in it.

I do enjoy the job and I have a good supervisor right now. Other airman do not however. They are supervised by NCO's who do not know how to provide for their airman. Of course, anyone with 6-7+ years can supervise but when I go to my supervisor looking for advice about deployments or OJT I can't get it. And then it progresses to senior leadership who don't understand why training needs to take 6 months (example) because it wasn't like that in the ________ career field.

Just because you have had supervisors who weren't in the same AFSC doesn't make it right. The Intel community needs to function more like a business. Experience in AF Intel is worth as much as much as it once was. Airman are seeing that they can get treated better in contracting environment where experience is appreciated.

What are you cross training into, what AFSC are you coming from and where are you likely to get stationed? Also if you have any 1N1 questions or questions about Langley feel free to ask. I love my Air Force and don not want my message to be anit-military.

imported_097
06-15-2009, 05:24 AM
Yeah, Just called housing and they won't let you stay unless you can sign a 12-month lease...and I don't plan on staying at Goodfellow that long!

It don't matter for the 12 month lease, show them your orders when you leave.

imported_097
06-15-2009, 05:28 AM
Are you stateside or overseas? If you're stateside then they should give you a class date within a few months. If you're overseas, then you'll be waiting until they give you a class date around your DEROS. Which is why I've been waiting for a year!

I was stateside, 8 month from notification to class start date, and that was in 2006.

imported_71mach1
06-15-2009, 06:01 AM
What are you cross training into, what AFSC are you coming from and where are you likely to get stationed? Also if you have any 1N1 questions or questions about Langley feel free to ask. I love my Air Force and don not want my message to be anit-military.

I will be starting class for 1N1 in August. I am currently a 2E1X1(SATCOM) and before that I was a 2A6X1B(C-130 TurboProp). I'm sure you know where I'm likely to be stationed better than me. Is Langley a good assignment for a new 1N1? I've had a lot of people tell me to avoid it(crime, high ops tempo, bad weather) What 1N1 assignments do most people enjoy? And how long is a normal 1N1 tour?

imported_71mach1
06-15-2009, 06:05 AM
It don't matter for the 12 month lease, show them your orders when you leave.

Guess I didn't think about that. We're looking at apartments online right now. Probably won't make up our minds until we get down there and do our "house hunting". Just kinda wondering if there are any places that we need to avoid.

BRUWIN
06-15-2009, 06:21 AM

You do not understand the promotion system. You have the same opportunity to make staff as everyone else, in fact it's even better. Line numbers are distributed equally amoung the career fields. So, when the AF promotes say 30 percent to SSgt, they promote 30 percent in each career field. Cross trainees coming into your career field do not take your position and even if they did the AF would still promote the 30 percent in your AFSC that they promoted AF wide. This is how the AF ends up with overages because some career fields don't need all those SSgt's but they must promote EQUALLY among all the AFSCs.

Also, for two years after retrainees come into the AFSC they test in a retrainee AFSC and don't even compete with you. And to add to it...you're in a critically manned career field that promotes 2.5 percent OVER the AF average. So you have an even better chance of making SSgt than most in the AF.

As for Intel in particular, the number of people that actually make a stripe is always lower than the number of slots available. Why? Because they can only promote to the AF average plus 2.5 percent. Since the candidate pool is smaller than it should be because we are undermanned we never fill all the requirements. Here is where the retrainees fill the holes...normally coming from career fields that have an overage of a particular rank. They don't take a slot from anybody. The retraining program was initiated to give EVERYONE an equal opportunity at promotion regardless of AFSC health and to balance the overages and shortages that result from that policy afterwards.

Please don't use retrainees coming into your career field as an excuse for not making SSgt. Retrainees get a bad enough rap without people in thier new AFSC yapping about retrainees stealing thier promotion slots as well. That is a fallacy created by folks that don't understand the promotion system or don't like people walking into thier career field when in a lot of cases that retrainee had no choice.

And if you want my spin on why Intel folks get out is that they follow the money trail, and if it weren't for retrainees AF Intel would have fallen apart years ago.

imported_Modus
06-15-2009, 04:27 PM

Damn I know BRUWIN just hurt your feelings LOL.

BRUWIN
06-15-2009, 07:03 PM
Damn I know BRUWIN just hurt your feelings LOL.

We have many intel people touting thier unrivaled "experience". I just wish I could find them when I need someone to actually supervise.

imported_097
06-16-2009, 05:49 AM
Guess I didn't think about that. We're looking at apartments online right now. Probably won't make up our minds until we get down there and do our "house hunting". Just kinda wondering if there are any places that we need to avoid.

The area around base is kinda run down, look for a spot west of the base near the lake. There is base housing out there too.

imported_Burton
06-26-2009, 02:27 PM
Does anyone know what the retainability requirements are for 1n1 or 1u0? All I can find is that I must extend or reenlist to meet the Control Duty Assignment (CDA) requirement or 14 months beyond the projected class graduation date, whichever is longer. Anyone know what that would be? How long is the CDA??? Thanks...

BRUWIN
06-26-2009, 04:16 PM
Does anyone know what the retainability requirements are for 1n1 or 1u0? All I can find is that I must extend or reenlist to meet the Control Duty Assignment (CDA) requirement or 14 months beyond the projected class graduation date, whichever is longer. Anyone know what that would be? How long is the CDA??? Thanks...

All I know is I had 2 year ADSC from the time I started tech school.

imported_Burton
06-29-2009, 08:46 AM
Really? Cause usually, isn't it a minimum of 23 months from the projected class graduation date? Also, how do I know if it will be a CDA or not? Any idea what determines that?

imported_Lt Bullitt
06-29-2009, 11:21 PM
Yeah... I was about to ask the same questions. The greek they spell out in AFI 36-2626 doesn't help me any either.

I am now in awaiting class status now! :D

imported_Burton
06-30-2009, 06:38 AM
Awaiting class status? Does that mean you already have a class? How much retainability do you have? Cause if you didnt have to get any before the class started, you obviously had enough to begin with...??? For 1n1?

imported_Lt Bullitt
06-30-2009, 09:11 PM
I don't have a class yet. This means I've been selected for the career and I'm awaiting an open slot. I have 9 months left of AD.
When my assignment drops I guess I'll have to extend how ever many months to make the 14 month minimum after tech school graduation requirement.

imported_Lt Bullitt
07-01-2009, 09:45 PM
wow.. that was quick. Checked today and I have a class scheduled for mid Dec.

Mi11er
07-02-2009, 12:47 AM
Thats awesome that it went that fast for you. I just got my eligibility to apply to the 1U0X1 AFSC so I am pretty stoked about that one. Just out of curiosity did they throw the requirements for algebra, geometry, and trig on your application also?? I think it is just a generalized listing that they put on there since some of the aircrew jobs require it... IE Loadmaster... but I don't think its really all that necessary for a Sensor Operator.. could be wrong but I'm just guessing.

imported_Lt Bullitt
07-02-2009, 04:15 PM
Took 3 months from start to finish with everyone on board.

Didn't read anything about the math requirements... I'm sure my ASVAB scores were taken into account if they really needed them.

imported_Lt Bullitt
07-24-2009, 03:32 PM
How much retainability do you have? Cause if you didnt have to get any before the class started, you obviously had enough to begin with...??? For 1n1?

The requirement to take the cross training was a 23 month extension. Being a FTA I'm able to reenlist within 30 days of graduation and pick up the full zone B bonus.

imported_097
07-28-2009, 06:10 AM
The requirement to take the cross training was a 23 month extension. Being a FTA I'm able to reenlist within 30 days of graduation and pick up the full zone B bonus.

FYI, they wont let you reenlist at Goodfellow if your follow on base is stateside, so hurry up and PCS then get your reenlistment done before your extension begins. Once you enter your extension they won't cancel it. That means 23 months of no bonus.

That 30 day thing may be new but this is the BS they did to me in 2007.

BRUWIN
07-28-2009, 12:21 PM
FYI, they wont let you reenlist at Goodfellow if your follow on base is stateside, so hurry up and PCS then get your reenlistment done before your extension begins. Once you enter your extension they won't cancel it. That means 23 months of no bonus.

Just curious...why wouldn't they let you re-enlist at Goodfellow?

Rawful Kawpter
07-28-2009, 10:40 PM
Hmms....

I went through a rather un-fun set of hoops while getting my retraining squared away. Didn't get my first choice of 9S100 but got my only other listed choice of 1N1X1. Anywho, after about 6-7 months it finally get approved with a class date of 02 Dec 2009. Mind you I was selected on my first QRP board, so that 6-7 months was full of pain...like AFPC deleting my retraining request because they can't read english.

Given the time frames I will actually graduate after I'm 8 months into my extension that was required to even be retrained. Which leaves me with 15 months left on that extension required by CAREERS.

Now, Career Enhancements explained it to me that I can reenlist at any time after I am awarded the 3 skill level and receive the SRB. However the service commitment of 15 months after tech school will be fulfilled, either before or after the reenlistment. Meaning that I could get my 3 level, go to my assignment and 6 months later reenlist and start that enlistment but that I would still have 8 months on top of that enlistment required from the service commitment.

As 097 explains it you either can't reenlist until after the service commitment is completed, or you do re-enlist but it somehow doesn't take effect until the end of the the service commitment in the extension.

A8.9. (CAREERS Retraining only) I understand that if I reenlist after extending for a total of 23 months,
the Air Force will not deduct my obligated service from my SRB payment for any unserved extensions of
my enlistment totaling 23 months or less.

2.14. Computing SRB Awards:
2.14.1. Compute the SRB award amount using one month’s base pay (the rate in effect on date of discharge,
release from active duty, or the day before an extension begins), times the years and fractions
of a year (months) of additional obligated service, times the SRB multiple. Additional obligated service
is the period of a new reenlistment contract that will exceed an airman’s current DOS. Compute
additional obligated service by deducting the time remaining on the current enlistment, reenlistment,
or extension contract from the new reenlistment term. (EXCEPTION: CAREERS retrainees don’t
lose obligated service from their bonus for any unserved extensions of enlistment which total 23
months or less.)

Ok, so given this and reading the examples in the AFI it looks as though for CAREERS when you reenlist the remaining obligation is incorporated into your new service obligation and it does count towards the SRB. So if you have 12 months obligation left and you reenlist for 4 years you end up with an enlistment of 5 years that counts as 5 years for SRB. Mind you I've obviously never reenlisted and this is basically my first research into it.

The bonus isn't a big deal, I put down Imagery Analysis a good month or two before I noticed the SRB on it. I just consider it the consolation prize for getting my number 2 choice. Drop it all into a savings account/CD and it makes for a spectacular house downpayment when I'm in a position to invest.

For BRUWIN's question....

2.10. Eligibility for Retrainees. Airmen attain SRB eligibility when they qualify for and serve in an
SRB-designated skill.
2.10.1. Retrainees must possess the 3-skill level in the retraining skill, and report to their first permanent
duty station following training, before they can reenlist or extend for the SRB. (EXCEPTION:
Retrainees into Air Traffic Control may not reenlist for an SRB until award of SEI 053, 056, or 364 to
their PAFSC, 2AFSC, etc. CAFSC SEIs are not considered.) Retrainees who receive an assignment
while attending training, and must reenlist for the required retainability, may be eligible for a waiver
according to Table 3.5., item 4.

BRUWIN
07-29-2009, 01:38 AM

Good info...thanks.

imported_71mach1
07-29-2009, 05:02 AM
I posted this in the 1U thread, guess I shoulda kept it in here...:)

So the front of my orders say 1N011...ha! MPF told me to ignore it though.

But the back of my orders say:

CRS NBR: X8ABR1N131 0A8B

Mean anything to anybody?

And another noob 1N1 question, what is the difference between an analyst and targeter?

imported_097
07-29-2009, 05:43 AM
Hmms....

Now, Career Enhancements explained it to me that I can reenlist at any time after I am awarded the 3 skill level and receive the SRB. However the service commitment of 15 months after tech school will be fulfilled, either before or after the reenlistment. Meaning that I could get my 3 level, go to my assignment and 6 months later reenlist and start that enlistment but that I would still have 8 months on top of that enlistment required from the service commitment.

As 097 explains it you either can't reenlist until after the service commitment is completed, or you do re-enlist but it somehow doesn't take effect until the end of the the service commitment in the extension.

No thats not what I said. You can reenlist anytime after you arrive at your base. But if you have already intered your extension they WONT pay you for the obligated service thats left.

I know the AFI says otherwise but they go by there so called "Continuity Book" which is different:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=reenlistment+continuity+air+force&aq=f&oq=&aqi=
(It should be the 4th from the top)

imported_097
07-29-2009, 05:46 AM
Just curious...why wouldn't they let you re-enlist at Goodfellow?

Goodfellow said that only if your follow on was OCONUS could you reenlist there other wise you had to go to your stateside base and do it. Made no sense to me.

BRUWIN
07-29-2009, 12:23 PM
Goodfellow said that only if your follow on was OCONUS could you reenlist there other wise you had to go to your stateside base and do it. Made no sense to me.

Well it sounds to me like they want to make sure you graduate the tech school before you get any money.

Rawful Kawpter
07-29-2009, 01:44 PM
No thats not what I said. You can reenlist anytime after you arrive at your base. But if you have already intered your extension they WONT pay you for the obligated service thats left.

I know the AFI says otherwise but they go by there so called "Continuity Book" which is different:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=reenlistment+continuity+air+force&aq=f&oq=&aqi=
(It should be the 4th from the top)

Actually if you were to read what you suggested I read it states very plainly what I surmised of your comments. The change in 2004 makes it so that you are only allowed to reenlist within 3 months of your DOS. Basically you can't reenlist until your obligation is met. This does not conflict with the AFI regarding the SRB at all. If you still have 3 months left on your current extension that should be added to your next enlistment and you should receive an SRB based on the total duration of the enlistment.

Now, I do need to scrounge around and find the directive that actually says you can't reenlist until 3 months out...as far as I can see you can still reenlist under the SRP if your unit CC approves.

EDIT-

Doing some more looking around it looks like that 3 month window is actually specifically waived for CAREERS

Policy Changes Effective 1 May 04:

Air staff has announced/implemented the following changes to AFI 36-2606, Reenlistment in the USAF. These changes impact reenlistment/extensions processes/programs:

First Term Airmen (FTA): Upon approval of a Career Job Reservation (CJR), first term Airman (to include CAREERs retrainees) can now request immediate reenlistment instead of waiting 3 months prior to Expiration of Term of Service (ETS), Airman must meet all other reenlistment criteria according to AFI 36-2606.

From the 'continuity book of no authority at all'

7. Obligated Service:
a. Obligated service is that time in excess of 29 calendar days from the Date of Enlistment – (DOE) to the Date of Separation (DOS) - any partial month of 29 calendar days or less will not be considered in the total obligated service as outlined in DODFMR Volume 7A, Chapter 9, Paragraph 090202 A 1 AND 2. When subtracting dates, always add one day for inclusive dates. Example: Member reenlisted 19 July 2007 and the DOS was 18 Aug 2008. Subtract the DOE from the DOS, plus one day. In this example, the member would have 1 year 1 month (13 months) obligated service.

08 08 18 = 08 07 48
07 07 19 = 07 07 19
01 00 30 (29 days + 1=30 days) To break down this example further, July 19 2007 to July 18 2008 = 12 months. 19 - 30 July 2008 = 12 days and 1 - 18 Aug 2008 = 18 days for a total of 30 days.

b. If the extension obtained for careers retraining has NOT been entered as of class grad date, FTA may request cancellation of the extension within 30 days through their MPF for the purpose of immediate reenlistment. Extension cancellation and immediate reenlistment must occur on the same date and must occur prior to member entering the extension. Only extensions obtained for CAREERS retraining that have not been entered will be forgiven. All other extensions will be considered as obligated.
c. Extensions obtained for careers retraining that have been entered will NOT be forgiven and will be considered obligated service. This change includes all Airmen who have entered their extension regardless of when they signed it. This action affects every careers retraining extension/reenlistment pending, without exception. Airmen will then reenlist under the rules of the full enlistment program.
d. When computing SRBs, the member will be paid for the additional years reenlisted and not for any prior obligated service. Do not include obligated service when computing SRB payments.

This entire section covers many different situations, section b and c are for CAREERS and c deals specifically if you enter the extension before you can reenlist. It states that the rules outlined in 36-2626 are to be used and you do get SRB for the obligated time. Section d would refer to all other reenlistments where obligated service remains and does not count towards the SRB, and it follows 36-2626.

Sounds like you just got dicked over by MPF and you or your leadership didn't push back.

imported_097
07-30-2009, 12:00 AM
This entire section covers many different situations, section b and c are for CAREERS and c deals specifically if you enter the extension before you can reenlist. It states that the rules outlined in 36-2626 are to be used and you do get SRB for the obligated time. Section d would refer to all other reenlistments where obligated service remains and does not count towards the SRB, and it follows 36-2626.

Sounds like you just got dicked over by MPF and you or your leadership didn't push back.

c. Extensions obtained for careers retraining that have been entered will NOT be forgiven and will be considered obligated service. This change includes all Airmen who have entered their extension regardless of when they signed it. This action affects every careers retraining extension/reenlistment pending, without exception. Airmen will then reenlist under the rules of the full enlistment program.
d. When computing SRBs, the member will be paid for the additional years reenlisted and not for any prior obligated service. Do not include obligated service when computing SRB payments.

These sections state why you dont get bonus for obligated service. Not only this, but the reenlistment folks at MPF had me sign a document before I entered the extension stating that it would be forgiven for CAREERS. To top it off they had me sign the same thing agian when I was filling out the reenlistment paperwork, but they said it dont apply anymore. I was pist. There paperwork was not updated and they were using a continuity book to override an AFI. My Chief called MPF in fact, and talked with theirs. He had no luck. basically I was screwed. I didnt mind much i guess as I was greatfull to still be getting the bonus I did. I would have crosstrained and reenlisted in this AFSC no matter the bonus anyways. Just dont tell those folks who decide the bonus payouts that, :)

Rawful Kawpter
07-30-2009, 05:29 PM
I guess it's an interpretation issue....and a retarded MPF issue. I'm fairly certain I loathe people who work in MPF, and AFPC.

I had a similar issue on my follow-on out of Korea. It would seem that you need 4 years of retainability to get an overseas assignment in case you get married. That was literally what AFPC said. My chain of command and MPF basically just shrugged and said 'sucks to be you.' When I got to Osan there was a TSgt in MPF who could tell me off the top of his head the sections of which AFI said that they were all full of shit.

Might could be an issue to take to IG if I run into it and leadership fails to resolve it. If they could produce a directive communication originating from the SECAF stating that the policy has changed from what the AFI states then I'm good with it(though I'd still contend that an interim change to the AFI needs to be made ASAP). If they can't then it's a credible IG complaint.

mai86
08-01-2009, 01:14 AM
I just found out my class date is Feb-11 2010. Anyone know the rules with bringing your family, per diem, would i live on base or off-base if I dont bring my family?

imported_Red Dragon
08-01-2009, 04:30 AM
Don't cry about Clovis. Get your ass to Afghanistan, and THEN cry.

imported_097
08-02-2009, 03:05 AM
Don't cry about Clovis. Get your ass to Afghanistan, and THEN cry.

Afghanistan is better then Clovis, as for the job anyways.

imported_097
08-02-2009, 03:10 AM
I just found out my class date is Feb-11 2010. Anyone know the rules with bringing your family, per diem, would i live on base or off-base if I dont bring my family?

How long is your school? It was 6 months when I went through. If it's over 120, class days, should still be considered a PCS. If you go by yourself problably gonna be in the prior service dorms, which means you dont get your food allowance :( But it's your choice to be on or off base.

mai86
08-02-2009, 05:58 AM

It's from Feb to Aug, so 6 months. So since it's consired a PCS, I would be able to bring my family? Also, do you know if I would be able to get base housing? I recently read something about coming back to my original base to out-process? Any truth to that?

imported_71mach1
08-02-2009, 09:03 PM
Afghanistan is better then Clovis, as for the job anyways.

Just got into Goodfellow yesterday and we spent a night in Clovis on the way. Cannon didn't look too bad, but Clovis was seriously depressing. I will do everything in my power to keep my family away from that place.

imported_71mach1
08-02-2009, 09:14 PM

It's from Feb to Aug, so 6 months. So since it's consired a PCS, I would be able to bring my family? Also, do you know if I would be able to get base housing? I recently read something about coming back to my original base to out-process? Any truth to that?

Call the school. They are supposed to be shortening the school, but I don't know if it will be enough to keep you from PCSing. My family and I just got into San Angelo yesterday. We are looking at rental houses right now. I called base housing and they wouldn't let us stay in housing since we couldn't sign a 1 year lease. I completely outprocessed and PCS'ed my last base. So yes, I had to move my entire household from Alaska to Texas and the we'll be moving to who-knows-where in about six months. Loads of fun!

mai86
08-02-2009, 10:49 PM
Oh okay, Thanks for the info. I would think you'd be able to terminate a lease since we would be getting orders. How is San Angelo. I looked online and it didnt look to much different from Mt. Home, which where I am at right now. Let me know how the house hunting goes. I've been looking online for possible place and I can only find a few apartments.

imported_097
08-03-2009, 03:01 AM
Oh okay, Thanks for the info. I would think you'd be able to terminate a lease since we would be getting orders. How is San Angelo. I looked online and it didnt look to much different from Mt. Home, which where I am at right now. Let me know how the house hunting goes. I've been looking online for possible place and I can only find a few apartments.

A guy in my class lived on base, I dont know if he told them that he was moving in 6 months, or he just told thim "hey I just got orders"

imported_097
08-03-2009, 03:03 AM
Just got into Goodfellow yesterday and we spent a night in Clovis on the way. Cannon didn't look too bad, but Clovis was seriously depressing. I will do everything in my power to keep my family away from that place.

Clovis can be a drag, like any place. You got to go north from that highway that passes through town. It's alot nicer up there. We have school age kids and love it here..

By the way ......cya in 7 months, lol.

mai86
08-04-2009, 03:16 AM
Anyone know how many credits we receive at the end of Tech School?

Endless Joe
08-11-2009, 06:29 PM
I had my retraining approved this past Friday into 1n1! I was rather suprised how smooth the process went being a FTA and all! Can anyone tell me how long it normally takes after you are put into "5" status (awaiting class date) in vMPF before you are put into "6" status with a class date scheduled? And also, once given a class date, how far out are class dates normally forcasted? Thanks! And I guess while I'm asking questions I might as well ask a few more! Is there anyone reading this forum currently in Tech school or recently graduated that can shed any light on the course work? And what's this I hear about shortening the entire class length by 3 months? Seems a bit steep but I would not complain if they did :) Ok, that's all for now, thanks!

imported_Lt Bullitt
08-12-2009, 05:03 AM
My status from 5 to 6 was about 2 days and the class was scheduled 5 months out from when I had been given that notice. If you read back some of your questions will get answered.

Rawful Kawpter
08-12-2009, 05:30 PM
It looks like the transition digitally to 1N1X1A/B is at least started. My retraining approval was updated to 1N111A. Though in AMS it seems a little less than halfway done. Assignment lists have been split into A/B but A is the only one that returns jobs, B does not return anything. Enlisted Authorized doesn't appear to have been modified at all. It is still just 1N1X1 with no shred-outs.

Endless Joe
08-12-2009, 06:30 PM
My status from 5 to 6 was about 2 days and the class was scheduled 5 months out from when I had been given that notice. If you read back some of your questions will get answered.
Well that would be nice to get my class date that quickly! Currently trying to file my BOP with MPF. Guess I have 5 duty days from retraining approval to file it. I've read the entire thread and although it has a lot of good info there was only specualtion on the shortening the length of the Tech School and little to no info on course work!

My vMPF says I'll be 1n1x1A. I'm very pleased with that. Wasn't really keen on targeting.

imported_71mach1
08-12-2009, 10:05 PM
I start class next Thursday, so let me know what questions you have and I'll get as much info as I can. I'll still monitor this thread throughout the class. Everybody on here helped me, so I'll try to give some back.

Endless Joe
08-12-2009, 10:21 PM
Well have fun 71mach1! If you have a chance to shed some light on some course work or any definitive answer on the future tech school length I know I'd really appreciate it!

imported_71mach1
08-12-2009, 10:24 PM
By the way ......cya in 7 months, lol.

Ha! Please don't jinx it for me!

leaveit2josh
08-13-2009, 06:12 PM
Hey everyone! Just found out this week that I was selected to retrain as a 1N111A. I asked the AFPC guy what the A stood for at the tail end of the AFSC but he said he wasn't sure...Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

Bert
08-13-2009, 08:09 PM
Hey. I also just got selected to retrain this week. I have a 1N111A and have no idea what it means. I have read a lot about the lenght of the school changing from 6 months to 3 months and I assume that has something to do with this being a TDY instead of a PCS. Is there anyone that can clairify that for me? Also about how long out are the class dates to when you find out your class date? I read about it earlier in this thread, but i was wondering if the time length was getting shorter or longer?

Endless Joe
08-13-2009, 11:39 PM
Hey. I also just got selected to retrain this week. I have a 1N111A and have no idea what it means. I have read a lot about the lenght of the school changing from 6 months to 3 months and I assume that has something to do with this being a TDY instead of a PCS. Is there anyone that can clairify that for me? Also about how long out are the class dates to when you find out your class date? I read about it earlier in this thread, but i was wondering if the time length was getting shorter or longer?
The "A" in 1N1X1A is for Imagery Analysis and if there was a "B" it's for Targeting. Not sure what targeting entails but maybe someone else might. Looks like the three of us might get class dates for the same time. I got approved on Friday the 7th and still have not recieved a class date so anyones guess is as good as mine! Some people get it after a day, some people it can take months but it would be nice to hear soon so I can start planning.

Endless Joe
08-13-2009, 11:57 PM
Looks like the retraining advisory is showing the shred outs now, too. It's showing 1n1x1, 1n1x1a, and 1n1x1b. Not sure why 1n1x1 and 1n1x1a are both on there with all those open slots though... maybe they added more openings?

Anyone apply for their top secret clearance after they were accepted for retraining? I've been filling out my paperwork but was wondering if anyone else has gone through the process yet?

Mi11er
08-14-2009, 12:05 AM
The "A" is for the side of GEOSPATIAL IMAGERY ANALYST.....the "B" is for Targeteer

leaveit2josh
08-14-2009, 01:46 AM
Looks like the retraining advisory is showing the shred outs now, too. It's showing 1n1x1, 1n1x1a, and 1n1x1b. Not sure why 1n1x1 and 1n1x1a are both on there with all those open slots though... maybe they added more openings?

Anyone apply for their top secret clearance after they were accepted for retraining? I've been filling out my paperwork but was wondering if anyone else has gone through the process yet?

I've held my T.S. for the last 5 years or so...it can take "forever" trying to get everything approved and over with once the investigation is under way. I think mine took close to a year.

Anyway, hopefully we all find out our class date sooner, rather than later. Good luck!

Bert
08-14-2009, 01:40 PM
My career adviser told me that I could not start my T.S paper work until I got to tech school. Where do you find the paper work for that so I can look and see what I am up against?

Endless Joe
08-14-2009, 02:42 PM
My career adviser told me that I could not start my T.S paper work until I got to tech school. Where do you find the paper work for that so I can look and see what I am up against?
I don't know why your career adviser told you that because if you look at "Mystuff" at vMPF/AFPC under the requirements for 1n1x1 it says something to the affect of "please submit TS paperwork within 10 days of retraining approval". I took that at face value and have been filling out the worksheet my SQ Security Manager gave me. It's pretty lengthy only for the fact that you have to go back 10 years! Yikes! I would like to know for sure though whether or not we are supposed to submit our TS clearance paperwork now or once we get to tech school!? I'm probably just going to get the worksheet done then talk to AFPC about it. If you find out anything Bert, let us know!

Bert
08-14-2009, 04:20 PM
I don't know why your career adviser told you that because if you look at "Mystuff" at vMPF/AFPC under the requirements for 1n1x1 it says something to the affect of "please submit TS paperwork within 10 days of retraining approval". I took that at face value and have been filling out the worksheet my SQ Security Manager gave me. It's pretty lengthy only for the fact that you have to go back 10 years! Yikes! I would like to know for sure though whether or not we are supposed to submit our TS clearance paperwork now or once we get to tech school!? I'm probably just going to get the worksheet done then talk to AFPC about it. If you find out anything Bert, let us know!

I am not sure if it is the same for you, but I called AFPC and they said it is 10 days from when you receive an assignment rip. Right now, I am awaiting a class date. When I get my class date I will be fully approved and then receive my assignment rip. Call AFPC and they should have more info.

BRUWIN
08-14-2009, 05:35 PM
Not sure what targeting entails but maybe someone else might. .

Targeting involves finding the target, the acquisition of precise geolocations to properly aim the weapon... regardless of platform, determining the type of weapons that will be needed to destroy the target, battle damage assessment after the air strike to determine if further targeting is required....things of that nature. With regards to PGMs, geo coordinates are derived by targeteers, not pilots.

A lot of people mistakenly assume the pilots fly up in the air, find their target, and shoot or drop their bombs. In most cases intel drives the mission....pilots drive the bus. And before anybody starts, I mean that in a nice way. Pilots have enough to worry about just getting to the target without all the naunces that go along with why we are after that particular target. They are briefed...but not the the extent they need to know every slight target detail and it's background.

Endless Joe
08-14-2009, 08:18 PM
My vMPF was just updated to "6" status and my projected course start date is 17 SEP 09 with a grad date of 19 MAR 10! That's coming up pretty quick! I'm going to call AFPC shortly to find out about this! Anyone else find anything out?

Endless Joe
08-14-2009, 11:06 PM
My vMPF was just updated to "6" status and my projected course start date is 17 SEP 09 with a grad date of 19 MAR 10! That's coming up pretty quick! I'm going to call AFPC shortly to find out about this! Anyone else find anything out?
Talked to AFPC and it's affirmative! My class starts next month! Ugh, this happened a little to quickly! I'm on an ORE next week, too so we'll see how much I get done... I got my training rip today, too so once I turn that in I should get my orders from outbound assignments then obtain my retainability at the same time. Anyone ever file a BAH waiver for spouses left behind? There's no way I'll be able to sell my house the way the housing market is in Florida right now. So I guess that's another thing I'll have to do. And, since this is a PCS, we get to enjoy the fun that is outprocessing... Well, at least it was smooth up to this point, lol!

Air Force Cred
FTA SSgt. / 5.5 years
2A671B Turboprop Propulsion Craftsman
(C-130 Engine Mechanic)

leaveit2josh
08-17-2009, 03:16 AM
Holy crap Endless Joe. That's a pretty quick turnaround for you...I found out a few days after you that I got in, so I can only hope that I'll be on the same boat, or at least one right after you. Good luck tieing up all of your loose ends in time to get to school.

Bert
08-17-2009, 04:52 PM

I got approved the same day you did, but I have not received a class date yet. I hope there is not anything wrong with my package.

Mi11er
08-17-2009, 11:33 PM
I wouldnt think that something was wrong ... I would just put it off on them trying to fill a later class date or just the time it takes to process things... you never know.

But I can understand the jumping to conclusions lol.... I will be in the same boat soon

Endless Joe
08-18-2009, 04:49 AM
Made reservations with billeting and turned in my training rip to the cc for his signature and then I will be taking it to formal training. From what Outbound Assignments told me, once that happens, they will send me an e-mail with my orders and schedule an appointment with me to discuss retainability and enlistment extension. As far as TS clearance, the link they give you on your training rip brings you to an AETC website that says you need TS/SCI clearance before your 14th week of training and should get the ball rolling before you arrive at Goodfellow, so, get with your security manager asap!

Endless Joe
08-18-2009, 09:53 PM
Info on BAH waivers from the Goodfellow AFB Family Support Website (http://www.familysupportgoodfellow.org).

Who is the base point of contact for BAH Waivers?
The Customer Care Center of the Airman and Family Readiness Flight is the base point of contact for BAH Waivers. You can contact them at (325) 654-3893.

Who is authorized to request BAH Waivers?
BAH Waivers requests are authorized for both active duty and ARC members for Permanent Change of Station (PCS) at the dependent rate based on training for 12 months or less in the following categories:
Professional Military Training (PME)
Technical Training
Career Education

What paperwork must be included in the BAH Waiver request packet?
Members requesting a BAH Waiver request must include the following paperwork in the packet:
- Letter request BAH Waiver
- Copy of PCS orders
- Letter with scheduled class dates/class course number
- Letter from TMO verifying household goods were not shipped
- Letter from Finance verifying single rate entitlements paid on travel voucher

FYI: Talked with my SQ Security Manager and was told that it can take up to a week to get access to the computer system that allows you to input all your information for TS Clearance. After you log in the first time you have 60 days to finish inputting all your data.

Also recieved my assignment rip and my RNLTD is 3 days prior to my class start date. Hope this all helps everyone plan accordingly!

Bert
08-19-2009, 04:56 PM
My vMPF was just updated to "6" status, but my class date is not until Mar 2010 and my grad date is Sept 2010.

Endless Joe
08-19-2009, 09:39 PM
My vMPF was just updated to "6" status, but my class date is not until Mar 2010 and my grad date is Sept 2010.
Well congratulations are still in order! It looks like you'll be starting class when I graduate. I'm still curious to why my class date went through so quickly and my only guess is someone lost their class slot and I got thrown into it. Well Bert, congratualtions again, and I'll try to keep monitoring the forums and posting what info I can and also my adventures leading up to my PCS to Goodfellow.

imported_2W1and1N1
08-19-2009, 11:45 PM
I am a e-5 retraining and graduate from 1n1 on Monday. I was at Hurlburt field prior to this. If anyone has any questions about the pcs or school ask away.

leaveit2josh
08-20-2009, 03:41 AM
All right Bert, it looks like you and I are gonna be classmates. My status changed to "6" today and I have my RIP filled out and ready to go....just gotta get the CC signature block taken care of and then I'll get the ball rolling on my retainability, orders, etc.

Just curious though, is your class date March 12 as well?

imported_2W1and1N1
08-20-2009, 03:45 AM
NEW 1N1 COURSE HAS BEEN PUSHED BACK TILL NOVEMBER TIMEFRAME. So still 6 months or 130 class days. Also there will be a date soon that will be the cut off for 1U0x1. Instructors tell us it will be around beginning of Oct. After that no more 1n1 student will get picked up for SO.

Bert
08-20-2009, 03:45 PM
All right Bert, it looks like you and I are gonna be classmates. My status changed to "6" today and I have my RIP filled out and ready to go....just gotta get the CC signature block taken care of and then I'll get the ball rolling on my retainability, orders, etc.

Just curious though, is your class date March 12 as well?

My Class date is the 26 of Mar so I will be a little bit behind you. I sill have not got my training RIP though. I did contact my Security Manager and got things going on my TS clearance.

Panamenagurl
08-20-2009, 07:45 PM
yea was the tech school hard? i just found out im on the ncorp list so i gotta retrain and 1n1 sounds fun

Endless Joe
08-21-2009, 06:48 AM
NEW 1N1 COURSE HAS BEEN PUSHED BACK TILL NOVEMBER TIMEFRAME. So still 6 months or 130 class days. Also there will be a date soon that will be the cut off for 1U0x1. Instructors tell us it will be around beginning of Oct. After that no more 1n1 student will get picked up for SO.
2W1and1N1,

What kind of things would you say are "must haves" for living in the dorms @ Goodfellow and also what items would you think not to bring that you would definitely need?

imported_2W1and1N1
08-21-2009, 12:49 PM
You can get internet in the dorms and cable tv if you pay for it. So I brought a 27" tv with me any bigger would not fit. Also, check out san angelo state park if you like outdoors. The outdoor rec at goodfellow has mountain bikes for about a dollar a day and there is alot of trails at the park. Really the only thing I brought was a laptop to webcam with the wife back home. And yes we wear blues every Monday..it is up to your choice what combination..SO, you can image most wear open collar with no ribbons.

Endless Joe
08-21-2009, 04:56 PM
You can get internet in the dorms and cable tv if you pay for it. So I brought a 27" tv with me any bigger would not fit. Also, check out san angelo state park if you like outdoors. The outdoor rec at goodfellow has mountain bikes for about a dollar a day and there is alot of trails at the park. Really the only thing I brought was a laptop to webcam with the wife back home. And yes we wear blues every Monday..it is up to your choice what combination..SO, you can image most wear open collar with no ribbons.
So internet is free but you pay for cable? or do you have to pay for both of them?

Open collar no ribbons? That's my least favorite combo! I always wear tie with ribbons & badge!

What about everyday items like laundry baskets/bags? Probably something you should bring? And are the dorms set up with wall lockers? If so is it a good idea to bring a lock with you or is that provided?

It's funny, I want to be prepared, but I know there will definitely be something I overlook, lol. Thanks for all the help 2w1and1n1! And congratulations again! You're almost there!

-Joe

imported_2W1and1N1
08-21-2009, 06:55 PM
So internet is free but you pay for cable? or do you have to pay for both of them?

Open collar no ribbons? That's my least favorite combo! I always wear tie with ribbons & badge!

What about everyday items like laundry baskets/bags? Probably something you should bring? And are the dorms set up with wall lockers? If so is it a good idea to bring a lock with you or is that provided?

It's funny, I want to be prepared, but I know there will definitely be something I overlook, lol. Thanks for all the help 2w1and1n1! And congratulations again! You're almost there!

-Joe

Hey,

You need to plan like this is a PCS..bring all that. They have wall lockers and yes you have to pay for internet also. About 30 a month for internet. Any combination on the Blues, so if thats what you like then wear that. You won't need to lock the wall lockers..you will not get a roommate. I know no one that has.

Endless Joe
08-21-2009, 07:59 PM
$30/month isn't too bad, I guess... I guess it's just like, well, tech school back when I went through at Sheppard! Cool, I should be good to go! I'll get there the weekend prior, set up at the Angelo Inn for a night, then off to inprocess at the FSC on Monday. Is all the time from when you inprocess to your start class date just hanging out and getting settled in or does it take 3 days total to inprocess?

Endless Joe
08-21-2009, 10:13 PM
I forgot to ask this, too! Does Goodfellow require you to register your vehicle and get a base decal?

imported_Lt Bullitt
08-22-2009, 03:00 AM
Joe... why don't you just get an apt off base?

And there are no more window decals for all AF Bases. All other branches still require it though.

Endless Joe
08-22-2009, 06:50 PM
Joe... why don't you just get an apt off base?

And there are no more window decals for all AF Bases. All other branches still require it though.
Because I need to file a BAH waiver in order to pay my insanely high FL mortgage... I'm married and I'm PCSing to Goodfellow unaccompanied... Otherwise I wouldn't really have a problem with it. And now I'm hearing about the difficulty of getting orders to Hurlburt after tech school... ugh... this is going to be a fun year :D

I was unsure about the base decals throughout the AF. I know AFSOC stopped about a year or two ago and I hadn't heard anything about the other bases so that's one less hassle I have to deal with :)

imported_Lt Bullitt
08-24-2009, 11:04 PM
That makes a bit more sense. I have plenty of friends here at Tyndall with the same issues with their homes.

Endless Joe
08-25-2009, 02:03 PM
That makes a bit more sense. I have plenty of friends here at Tyndall with the same issues with their homes.
It's a little stressful, that's for sure! We'll see how it plays out...

Is there anyone on the forums starting class in September?

Rich
08-25-2009, 08:27 PM
My Class date is the 26 of Mar so I will be a little bit behind you. I sill have not got my training RIP though. I did contact my Security Manager and got things going on my TS clearance.

Hi, I'm new to the board. Looks like you and I will have the same class dates Bert. Lucky for me I already have my TS from my current job. See you there.

Endless Joe
08-31-2009, 08:03 PM
Hi, I'm new to the board. Looks like you and I will have the same class dates Bert. Lucky for me I already have my TS from my current job. See you there.
Welcome to the board Rich and congratulations on your retraining notification! That's great! You are lucky to have your TS already! I'm almost done with submitting all my info online then it should just be a waiting game... I leave in less than two weeks and am expiriencing the joys of outprocessing! I don't even have my orders yet! YiKeS! I have to get everything done by Friday! I'm having a little Deja Vu! I'm pretty sure I had little notice and got my orders at the last minute the last time I PCS'd. I hate running around like a crazy person! Oh well, I guess getting approved and recieving a class date so quickly is a blessing and a curse, lol!

Can anyone tell me how large the dorm rooms are for prior service and, if any, what amenities they provide for you? (desk, fridge, microwave, etc.)

imported_71mach1
08-31-2009, 11:08 PM
Can anyone tell me how large the dorm rooms are for prior service and, if any, what amenities they provide for you? (desk, fridge, microwave, etc.)

Hey everybody, sorry for not posting for awhile, just started block 2 yesterday and school is going pretty good. The worst part about it is that I got stuck as class leader. :mad: When do you plan on getting here Joe? I can do my best at being a tour guide for you. I'm living in a house close to the base so I can't answer your dorm questions, but I'll find someone who can. From what we've been told you should be in the first "new" class.

So bring on the questions!

Endless Joe
09-02-2009, 03:19 AM
Hey everybody, sorry for not posting for awhile, just started block 2 yesterday and school is going pretty good. The worst part about it is that I got stuck as class leader. :mad: When do you plan on getting here Joe? I can do my best at being a tour guide for you. I'm living in a house close to the base so I can't answer your dorm questions, but I'll find someone who can. From what we've been told you should be in the first "new" class.

So bring on the questions!
I'll be getting there on the 13th or 14th of this month. Start date is the 17th. So what do you mean by "new" class? The shorter one they've been talking about or is it just newly written course material?

ExHydro
09-02-2009, 07:09 AM
hello fellow soon to be 1N1's. I got approved back in November for 1N1X1, with a RNLT of 27 Sept 09. I'm at Kadena, so had to wait for my DEROS. Had a question about the new shreds. Since i got approved for 1N1X1 which shred will i fall into, and do i have a choice? Guess i'll have to wait till tonight and call AFPC.

Endless Joe
09-02-2009, 02:04 PM
hello fellow soon to be 1N1's. I got approved back in November for 1N1X1, with a RNLT of 27 Sept 09. I'm at Kadena, so had to wait for my DEROS. Had a question about the new shreds. Since i got approved for 1N1X1 which shred will i fall into, and do i have a choice? Guess i'll have to wait till tonight and call AFPC.
Congratulations on getting your retraining approved, lol, even if it was nearly a year ago! Yikes! As far as the shreds are concerned, my vMPF says that my retraining AFSC is 1N111A under the Retraining Application Status Inquiry. I know that when I called AFPC before they updated my vMPF, they were able to tell me that I was A shred, so hopefully they will be able to do the same for you. Have a safe trip and see you in a few weeks!

imported_71mach1
09-02-2009, 11:05 PM
So what do you mean by "new" class? The shorter one they've been talking about or is it just newly written course material?

Both, but they aren't giving us a lot of info. The good thing is that we are getting our assignments a lot sooner than usual, we've heard about six weeks in.

Endless Joe
09-03-2009, 09:24 PM
I have a question. Let's say you have a secret clearance, you apply for TS before you leave for tech school, and at your 14th week mark you either don't have your TS or you are denied it. What happens then? I assume if you just don't have it then you have to wait until you do, but what if it gets denied? Just curious if anyone has an answer to that. I'm hoping that I'll be fine, but of course I'm a little bit of a worrier...

imported_LOAL-D
09-03-2009, 09:26 PM
Well, you'll go to your assignment and be the snack-bar monitor till you're cleared...

BRUWIN
09-03-2009, 10:13 PM
I have a question. Let's say you have a secret clearance, you apply for TS before you leave for tech school, and at your 14th week mark you either don't have your TS or you are denied it. What happens then? I assume if you just don't have it then you have to wait until you do, but what if it gets denied? Just curious if anyone has an answer to that. I'm hoping that I'll be fine, but of course I'm a little bit of a worrier...

You are either reclassed into another shortage AFSC not requiring a TS or you go back to your old AFSC. If it's just a case of waiting until the investigation is complete you stick around until you get it. However, I have had troops sent from tech school still waiting. Until the new school starts only the last portion of Imagery School required a TS and that was the Lonstar exercise. We had Marines from my class still waiting at that point and they stuck them in a Secret SCIF for the Lonestar portion and they ended up graduating with us. On rare occasions I still get a troop or two that gets sent to us and they are in the same boat.

However, with this new ciriculum I'm not sure that is likely to happen.

Endless Joe
09-03-2009, 10:18 PM
Well, both those options seem very unappealing... Thanks for the info guys!

How difficult is it to get your clearance? I mean, how often do people not get their clearance?

BRUWIN
09-04-2009, 12:15 AM
Well, both those options seem very unappealing... Thanks for the info guys!

How difficult is it to get your clearance? I mean, how often do people not get their clearance?

Just be honest on your clearance application/interview and have your finances in order and you'll be ok. Get caught in a lie and your finished. Reasons for not getting a clearance vary and it's not often...but lying and finances are the two biggest reason I see people get turned down for a clearance. Once you get it it's not easy to take away...you have to screw up pretty bad.

imported_LOAL-D
09-04-2009, 12:21 AM
Hey, some of the best IAs and SOs ever started out as snack-bar monitors....

BRUWIN
09-04-2009, 12:28 AM
Hey, some of the best IAs and SOs ever started out as snack-bar monitors....

And some of the worst end up as one.

Endless Joe
09-04-2009, 12:42 AM
Just be honest on your clearance application/interview and have your finances in order and you'll be ok. Get caught in a lie and your finished. Reasons for not getting a clearance vary and it's not often...but lying and finances are the two biggest reason I see people get turned down for a clearance. Once you get it it's not easy to take away...you have to screw up pretty bad.
Thanks Bruwin! I appreciate your answers! I've been insanely honest with my application making sure to explain everything I input into the form. Once I get word that I've got my clearance I'll breathe a sigh of relief, but until then I'll be a little nervous! I definitely never want to go back to my old AFSC, lol!

I'll be going to my Security Manager tomorrow to finalize my paperwork and I'll be ready to leave for Goodfellow next week. I'm hoping to be getting into the new curriculum!

imported_LOAL-D
09-04-2009, 12:44 AM
And some of the worst end up as one.

Touche! Yes, true true....

BRUWIN
09-04-2009, 04:02 AM
Thanks Bruwin! I appreciate your answers! I've been insanely honest with my application making sure to explain everything I input into the form. Once I get word that I've got my clearance I'll breathe a sigh of relief, but until then I'll be a little nervous! I definitely never want to go back to my old AFSC, lol!

I'll be going to my Security Manager tomorrow to finalize my paperwork and I'll be ready to leave for Goodfellow next week. I'm hoping to be getting into the new curriculum!

Oh..and hopefully you don't have any Al Qeada relatives... that can bog things down too.

rpascual
09-07-2009, 01:24 AM
Hello everyone! By any chance is anyone here a SrA or SSgt Select that has been selected for retraining into imagery analysis? Or is in class with a FTA SrA or SSgt Select retrainee? I've met my first two boards but it is still too early to find out if I made the second board and am just wondering if I have any chance against the other FTAs who are already SSgts. BTW I'm a 4 year enlistee SrA with a line number for SSgt, not a 6 year enlistee. Any info would be much appreciated.

Mi11er
09-07-2009, 04:29 AM
Bruwin I sent you a PM

Rawful Kawpter
09-08-2009, 01:30 PM
Hello everyone! By any chance is anyone here a SrA or SSgt Select that has been selected for retraining into imagery analysis? Or is in class with a FTA SrA or SSgt Select retrainee? I've met my first two boards but it is still too early to find out if I made the second board and am just wondering if I have any chance against the other FTAs who are already SSgts. BTW I'm a 4 year enlistee SrA with a line number for SSgt, not a 6 year enlistee. Any info would be much appreciated.

Are you sure you're on your second board? With 67 FTA slots available for 1N1X1A they aren't exactly swamped with applicants given that those slots are still available. To my knowledge they don't just sit on stuff for no reason, if you qualify and they need people to fill those slots they load you.

In other news.... looks like they loaded the enlisted authorizations into AMS for the shred-outs. 1N1X1A looks to have the same authorizations as the original AFSC, 1N1X1B seems to have only 4 locations all in USAFE. Though a grain of salt my be required given that they show 1U0X1s with authorizations for Randolph only.

On EQUAL Plus 1N1X1 doesn't have anything any more. 1N1X1A has some tech school instructor positions and 2 SO positions at Creech. 1N1X1B has nothing.

rpascual
09-08-2009, 07:05 PM
Yup I'm on my second board. I applied in mid July and went up for the first board at the end of July and my second board at the end of August. I qualify for the job both medically and ASVAB wise (90s in all sections) and all fives on my EPRs. AFPC told me that they only hand out 1/12 of the available slots for year out per month (which makes sense). So with me being a 4 year enlistee and only a SrA, SSgts get preference over me. So i'm just guessing there are lots of first term SSgts ahead of me in line.

DontTellMeAboutCajun
09-14-2009, 11:37 PM
Does anyone know how much longer they'll keep taking SO's from 1N1, now that 1U0 is online?

imported_Lt Bullitt
09-17-2009, 01:31 AM
Does anyone know how much longer they'll keep taking SO's from 1N1, now that 1U0 is online?

Mach71 may help you out on that question. Noticed you mention you have a class date in Dec? When do you start?

DontTellMeAboutCajun
09-17-2009, 03:05 AM
Did I say December? My bad, I PCS outta Shady J in December, class date is 28 Jan!

Rawful Kawpter
09-17-2009, 04:17 AM
Upgrade training question...

I was messing around in AFTR and noticed that 1N0X1 was in AFTR as well as 1N6 I think. No 1N1. So are training records paper, super secret training records of doom, just not in AFTR right now due to the reorg, or is it some new exciting database system to replace the ones I'm leaving behind(curse ye ACES, burn in hell!)? Also, my current training records have 820 entries...what's the head count look like for 1N1X1(A)?

Also, CDCs...volume count?

leaveit2josh
09-18-2009, 05:10 PM
I just heard from a guy that started class this week, that this is no longer considered a PCS move because the shortened course length makes it less than 20 weeks. My question is, for anyone who may know, in my original paperwork it says that I'll be there 179 days from March to August. This is particularly important to me because I was planning on having my wife and kid come with rather than leaving them at Minot. No part of me EVER wants to come back up this way...also, could this potentially be a TDY en route? Anybody have any solid info on this? Thanks!