PDA

View Full Version : Imagery Analysis Retrain

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Nukes-To-Intel
03-31-2010, 01:15 PM
*last=less

sgthm
03-31-2010, 02:18 PM
Well, my TS went through, wasn't really worried about it, was just a reinvestigation anyway, but still... one last thing to worry about.

Still waiting for medical to sign off on mine so it can go to SFS. It will probably take forever and a day to leave medical. Because thats just how they are, unfortunately.

Nukes-To-Intel
04-02-2010, 07:37 PM
sgthm-- any luck yet? I'm still waiting.....

sgthm
04-05-2010, 03:21 PM
sgthm-- any luck yet? I'm still waiting.....

Nothing yet. No class date, and no access to start my TS. Medical is still waiting to sign off my paperwork so it can then be sent to the SFS. My original security manager said he needed to see proof of my class date before getting to start my paperwork. The new security manager took my word for it (that I had code 5), and has started the process. Good thing for the new security manager, especially since medical is taking their sweet a$$ time. I'm ready to go, how about you?

sgthm
04-05-2010, 10:42 PM
So my security manager told me the med.group finally signed off on my TS stuff (still do not understand why they needed it), and it has gone down to the SFS. Now I'm waiting for the civilian down there to schedule my interview. Crossing fingers hoping idiot brothers do not screw me over with this.

I'm getting extremely irritated and losing my patience waiting for this darn class date.

imported_Lt Bullitt
04-05-2010, 11:13 PM
A few more assignments have dropped. For our priors the list is, Langley, Beale, Hickam, Shaw, and Lackland. So it seems with priors its all over the board for assignment locations.

Soundhound
04-06-2010, 12:37 AM
Thanks Lt...looks like they might be hooking priors up with some higher lvl slots or creating more enlisted authorization at Lackland.

Current enlisted authorizations:

Barksdale, Louisiana 1n1x1a 7
Beale, California 1n1x1a 3
Beale, California 1n1x1a 5
Beale, California 1n1x1a 7
Bethesda, Maryland 1n1x1a 7
Cannon, New Mexico 1n1x1a 3
Cannon, New Mexico 1n1x1a 5
Cannon, New Mexico 1n1x1a 7
Creech, Nevada 1n1x1a 3
Creech, Nevada 1n1x1a 5
Creech, Nevada 1n1x1a 7
Davis-monthan, Arizona 1n1x1a 3
Davis-monthan, Arizona 1n1x1a 5
Davis-monthan, Arizona 1n1x1a 7
Edwards, California 1n1x1a 7
Fort Bragg, North Carolina 1n1x1a 5
Fort Bragg, North Carolina 1n1x1a 7
Goodfellow, Texas 1n1x1a 7
Hickam, Hawaii 1n1x1a 3
Hickam, Hawaii 1n1x1a 5
Hickam, Hawaii 1n1x1a 7
Holloman, New Mexico 1n1x1a 5
Holloman, New Mexico 1n1x1a 7
Hurlburt Field, Florida 1n1x1a 3
Hurlburt Field, Florida 1n1x1a 5
Hurlburt Field, Florida 1n1x1a 7
Kadena, Japan 1n1x1a 5
Lackland, Texas 1n1x1a 7
Langley, Virginia 1n1x1a 3
Langley, Virginia 1n1x1a 5
Langley, Virginia 1n1x1a 7
Maui Island, Hawaii 1n1x1a 5
Mildenhall, United Kingdom 1n1x1a 5
Nellis, Nevada 1n1x1a 5
Nellis, Nevada 1n1x1a 7
Offutt, Nebraska 1n1x1a 3
Offutt, Nebraska 1n1x1a 5
Offutt, Nebraska 1n1x1a 7
Osan, South Korea 1n1x1a 3
Osan, South Korea 1n1x1a 5
Osan, South Korea 1n1x1a 7
Pentagon, Virginia 1n1x1a 7
Ramstein, Germany 1n1x1a 3
Ramstein, Germany 1n1x1a 5
Ramstein, Germany 1n1x1a 7
Robins, Georgia 1n1x1a 5
Robins, Georgia 1n1x1a 7
Rome Lab Mtc, New York 1n1x1a 7
Schriever, Colorado 1n1x1a 5
Schriever, Colorado 1n1x1a 7
Scott Afb Midamer, Illinois 1n1x1a 7
Shaw, South Carolina 1n1x1a 3
Shaw, South Carolina 1n1x1a 5
Shaw, South Carolina 1n1x1a 7
Wright Patterson, Ohio 1n1x1a 3
Wright Patterson, Ohio 1n1x1a 5
Wright Patterson, Ohio 1n1x1a 7

Soundhound
04-06-2010, 01:16 AM
I learned a cool thing last week that pertains to reenlisting and SRB's. If you have to much retainability (like myself) and can't reenlist to qualify for the SRB, unless you receive OS orders after tech school. Then if you have dependents just transfer your MGI-bill to one of them. Applying for this benefit requires you to have 6 years of retainability so you must reenlist. You don't have to wait until you're 90 days out from your DOS or have OS orders. Just make sure you have your 3 LvL, and you are at your new duty station, and within that 30 day window after tech. Sweet huh...please spread the word $$$$. :D

sgthm
04-06-2010, 04:04 AM
I learned a cool thing last week that pertains to reenlisting and SRB's. If you have to much retainability (like myself) and can't reenlist to qualify for the SRB, unless you receive OS orders after tech school. Then if you have dependents just transfer your MGI-bill to one of them. Applying for this benefit requires you to have 6 years of retainability so you must reenlist. You don't have to wait until you're 90 days out from your DOS or have OS orders. Just make sure you have your 3 LvL, and you are at your new duty station, and within that 30 day window after tech. Sweet huh...please spread the word $$$$. :D

Can you switch to 9-11 or does it have to given to a dependent in order for it to work?

imported_Lt Bullitt
04-06-2010, 05:55 AM
Thanks Lt...looks like they might be hooking priors up with some higher lvl slots or creating more enlisted authorization at Lackland.

Lackland, Texas 1n1x1a 7

I was thinking the same thing. It was 3rd on my list and none of the instructors know what the hell I'll be doing there just yet. Just know that its AFISRA HQ.

So now we know that us priors can fill a 7 level billet. I know that question has arose here once before.

Soundhound
04-06-2010, 11:27 AM
Can you switch to 9-11 or does it have to given to a dependent in order for it to work?

You have to switch to the 9-11 and then give it to a depentent. Follow this link for more specifics. tm...;)

firenomore
04-06-2010, 01:51 PM
Allow me to re-introduce myself.....I'm going 1N0X1. My class date is 13 Oct for fundies, and shortly after for the other course. I had to really push and lean on people to get answers and dates for things. It helps to network with someone in Intel already. I have 2 questions. I know they may have been answered already, but I couldnt find them in the quick scroll I did through this post.
1) I hit 14 years TIS in Sep. I graduate next April. Is the Zone C cut off at 14 years and 1 day, or does it apply as long as I dont hit 15 years?
2) I got my follow on already (Tyndall), and I will be sending my family ahead while I'm in school. Will I have to stay in the dorms, or does the BAH waiver allow me to get BAH for my fam and stay off base also?

BIGGUNS85
04-06-2010, 04:46 PM
Does anybody have a good resource on apartments in San Angelo? It seems like a decent enough town when google streetviewing it.

This is a shout out to all of the retrainees starting 2 aug for fundies!

m@yhem
04-06-2010, 04:54 PM
Allow me to re-introduce myself.....I'm going 1N0X1. My class date is 13 Oct for fundies, and shortly after for the other course. I had to really push and lean on people to get answers and dates for things. It helps to network with someone in Intel already. I have 2 questions. I know they may have been answered already, but I couldnt find them in the quick scroll I did through this post.
1) I hit 14 years TIS in Sep. I graduate next April. Is the Zone C cut off at 14 years and 1 day, or does it apply as long as I dont hit 15 years?
2) I got my follow on already (Tyndall), and I will be sending my family ahead while I'm in school. Will I have to stay in the dorms, or does the BAH waiver allow me to get BAH for my fam and stay off base also?

Do you have your TS clearance already? That would be the only reason I could think of you geting your assignment already. Or is there something else you have done?? Also are you and A or B??

sgthm
04-06-2010, 04:56 PM
Does anybody have a good resource on apartments in San Angelo? It seems like a decent enough town when google streetviewing it.

This is a shout out to all of the retrainees starting 2 aug for fundies!

Check out Craigslist.com Texas/San Angelo APTS/Housing. There were a few cheap rentals.

Just curious, when did you get your class date for 2 August? Also, are you a FTA or Career Amn?

Nukes-To-Intel
04-06-2010, 06:48 PM
sgthm--yeah, I know, the class thing is pissing me off. I've already got my TS, so that's good. literally just waiting on a class date. Also, hoping I can push the date up some. Day 1 of Week 6...and counting.

@m@yhem--he's a 1n0, not 1n1, so he doesn't have our a and b shreds, maybe 1n0, I don't know.

@firenomore-- I believe the cutoff is the END of 14 years, just like paydates, get raises after 2, 4, 6 years, etc., and with the waiver you'll be stuck in dorms unless you can finagle it somehow. waiver will cut off BAS too. Congrats on the follow on so quick, and tyndall's nice.

sgthm
04-06-2010, 07:21 PM
sgthm--yeah, I know, the class thing is pissing me off. I've already got my TS, so that's good. literally just waiting on a class date. Also, hoping I can push the date up some. Day 1 of Week 6...and counting.

@m@yhem--he's a 1n0, not 1n1, so he doesn't have our a and b shreds, maybe 1n0, I don't know.

@firenomore-- I believe the cutoff is the END of 14 years, just like paydates, get raises after 2, 4, 6 years, etc., and with the waiver you'll be stuck in dorms unless you can finagle it somehow. waiver will cut off BAS too. Congrats on the follow on so quick, and tyndall's nice.

I'm waiting til next Tues. and I'll be calling AFPC to raise hell. I called when we hit our 4 weeks and they said to give the schoolhouse 4-6 weeks. Once the 6 week mark hits, they can send up a status request. So that's what I'm planning to do. Next Tues, if still no class date, AFPC is getting a pissed off phone call. ;)

I figure I gave them the time set beforehand, and I should have a class seat. Hopefully I get one before then. Good luck on yours. Keep me updated!

Any females retraining into 1N1X1A? I'm also a female and it'd be nice to find someone to get a small apartment with while we're in tech school. Same some $$$. Or does anyone know if we have to stay in dorms?

Soundhound
04-06-2010, 09:11 PM

I'm curious...where did you get the waiver will cut your BAS...My waiver only says they cut family sep.

Soundhound
04-06-2010, 10:03 PM

1) Dude how did you get your follow on???? Are you coming from overseas?
2) Its 14 yrs for the Zone C... there are some stipulations to this, so I would review chapter 2 of 36-2606 if i were you.

imported_Lt Bullitt
04-06-2010, 10:52 PM

http://www.gogrove.com/interior.cfm?city=sanangelo

This is a good place to stay. Its fully furnished/electricity/water/cable/internet for $485 a month. Its split up living so its hit or miss with your roommates, both mine are military.

I had TMO ship all my households out here and just filed an extension for storage.

leaveit2josh
04-07-2010, 01:31 AM
A few more assignments have dropped. For our priors the list is, Langley, Beale, Hickam, Shaw, and Lackland. So it seems with priors its all over the board for assignment locations.

Hey what block/week are you in (we're the baby class)? Just curious as to when I can expect to find out my next move. I've asked a few of the instructors but I can't get a solid answer...thanks.

imported_Lt Bullitt
04-07-2010, 05:22 AM
Hey what block/week are you in (we're the baby class)? Just curious as to when I can expect to find out my next move. I've asked a few of the instructors but I can't get a solid answer...thanks.

PM sent. Too much info to list here.

Tuxation
04-07-2010, 01:11 PM
FOr the SRB Zone C Question: zone c is 10-14 and you cannot receive a SRB after 16 years of service. Therefore, you would be elligible to recieve SRB payments for only two years of your reenlistment. BTW, MSgt results come out around May 1st, did you test! Lt. Bullitt, I arrived at San Angelo on the 30th. I checked into San Angelo Place which is cheaper than The Grove. Have you heard anything bad about San Angelo Place.

Soundhound, when are you arriving and when do you plan on inprocessing? I get back to San Angelo on the 19th and will be inprocessing on that following wednesday.

firenomore
04-07-2010, 01:24 PM
Do you have your TS clearance already? That would be the only reason I could think of you geting your assignment already. Or is there something else you have done?? Also are you and A or B??

1) Dude how did you get your follow on???? Are you coming from overseas?
2) Its 14 yrs for the Zone C... there are some stipulations to this, so I would review chapter 2 of 36-2606 if i were you.

I do not have my TS yet. I am going to be 1N0 though, so I dont think shreds apply. I am coming from overseas, but thats not the tool I used. I have rubbed elbows with the NCOIC in Intel here, so I got him on my side and making phone calls for me. I did as much work as I could, until I was told that I needed MSgt or above to continue. If I would have gone by the timeline for tech school dates, my kids would have been in 3 different schools for next year. I wasnt having it. Therefore, I called and pressed and pressed some more. After a little while, I got my follow on so that I may send my family ahead and get them settled.

Nukes-To-Intel
04-07-2010, 04:54 PM
sgthm-- I just talked with the 1n1 functional manager, and she's looking into my class date....waiting to hear back. Hoping for some good news, ya know?

sgthm
04-07-2010, 05:55 PM
sgthm-- I just talked with the 1n1 functional manager, and she's looking into my class date....waiting to hear back. Hoping for some good news, ya know?

I hear ya! I am in my 6th week now from my calculations. Next Tuesday is the end of 6 starting 7th week. So if I do not get a class date by Tuesday, I'm calling AFPC and bitching. Let me know what you find out from the functional. Could you PM me their information, I actually had a BOP question for them. My MPF here at DM will not let me fill out a BOP (they're saying my retraining app. was my BOP since I listed bases). However I heard ppl filling out an actually paper copy BOP in conjunction with retraining and the functional was actually able to give them their first choice. Trying to get a leg up ya know? MPF personnel really do not know what they're doing sometimes. I can barely understand the AFI's. I'm not a personnelist and do not speak "that" language. If the functional says to fill out a paper BOP, I'm sure as hell going to fill out a paper BOP!

imported_Lt Bullitt
04-07-2010, 06:21 PM
Lt. Bullitt, I arrived at San Angelo on the 30th. I checked into San Angelo Place which is cheaper than The Grove. Have you heard anything bad about San Angelo Place.

Rooms/bathrooms are smaller, 4 people to an apt (instead of 3 at the grove), and my buddies car was broken into there. Other than that I haven't heard anything else.

Soundhound
04-08-2010, 01:47 AM
FOr the SRB Zone C Question: zone c is 10-14 and you cannot receive a SRB after 16 years of service. Therefore, you would be elligible to recieve SRB payments for only two years of your reenlistment. BTW, MSgt results come out around May 1st, did you test! Lt. Bullitt, I arrived at San Angelo on the 30th. I checked into San Angelo Place which is cheaper than The Grove. Have you heard anything bad about San Angelo Place.

Soundhound, when are you arriving and when do you plan on inprocessing? I get back to San Angelo on the 19th and will be inprocessing on that following wednesday.

I should be there on the 19th as well and i guess inprocessing Wednesday ( is this the only day) I have a buddy going through the class right now I'll have him give us the low down.

Pea-shooter
04-08-2010, 02:47 AM
To Soundhoud and Tuxation, I am finally here in San Angelo as well and settledin with the family, My RNLTD is on the 20th so I guess I will either inprocess on Monday or Wednesday, not really sure which yet. If you guys wanna met up or anything we should PM one another

leaveit2josh
04-08-2010, 03:12 AM
For those that are wondering about class size and potential class dates...There's a new class starting soon and it has "something like 60 students". That was from an instructor today...to put that in perspective, my class has fifteen. Just an FYI.

sgthm
04-08-2010, 05:00 AM
For those that are wondering about class size and potential class dates...There's a new class starting soon and it has "something like 60 students". That was from an instructor today...to put that in perspective, my class has fifteen. Just an FYI.

That'd be awesome if they gave us all that class date. Not going to get my hopes up though. I've been code 5 for what seems like forever. When I see it changed to code 6, I'll probably have a heart attack!

Nukes-to-intel: any info yet?

firenomore
04-08-2010, 08:57 AM
sgthm,

the thing that worked for me to finally get my class date was to call AFPC and play as dumb as a rock. I kept asking questions in circles with the person who answered the phone until they got so frustrated that they called the retraining section and put me in touch with the right person. I was tiold to send this person my info and the reference number from 'my stuff'. within 6 hours I had a class date. At the time when I called, my application had been sitting since September, with an update (that was really nothing) in Dec. I called in Feb cause I was sick of waiting on them. When I say to assk questions in circles, I mean just that. You have to know what nothing means at all.... If they ask you about your DOS or DEROS, be stupid about it. I was on the phone with the lady for a solid 25 minutes playing that game, and I kept telling her "I dont understand"...... She finally had enough and conceded defeat. I think it's jacked up that you have to resort to such measures, but if it gets you the answer you need, then to me it's all worth it.

The thing that prompted me to use this tactic was when I had my Squadron Chief call, a couple days later he saw me and asked "is it always that hard to get in touch with someone or get answers when you call?" That told me that I was doomed. If he has a full house and they are giving him the run-around, then I know something is wrong. Another thing to look at is getting your base's intel people on it. Set up an interview with them asking about the jobs (as much as they will tell you) and while you are there, insert your agenda. If they will make a couple of calls for you, then thats all the better. I went that route (well somewhat) to get my follow on.

Bottom line, you will have to attack this like your career depends on every move made.

Nukes-To-Intel
04-08-2010, 01:13 PM
sgthm-- nothing yet, but I'm hoping today or tomorrow. If it works I'll PM you the number, but I'm half expecting the anser from the dude at the 14N course, ya know, "they're getting to it..." bs

firenomore-- Yeah that's dumb, why can't they just get this stuff figured out?

sgthm
04-08-2010, 02:14 PM

Any idea if the class is already full? I doubt they will give 60 class dates out now if the class is starting so soon. I've heard of a 60 day notice instead of the normal 120 days. So with that said, unless the class is starting 2 or more months from now, I bet the class is already filled. I'm just hoping they haven't filled the classes over their limit. I doubt it though if the normal class sizes are around 12-19, and now a 60. Why not distribute the ones still needing a class date throughout the classes left in FY 2010. Just common sense I think but who knows what the real agenda is. From my knowledge, that would make sense but they always have more rules and reasons for doing these crazy things.

BIGGUNS85
04-08-2010, 04:28 PM
Check out Craigslist.com Texas/San Angelo APTS/Housing. There were a few cheap rentals.

Just curious, when did you get your class date for 2 August? Also, are you a FTA or Career Amn?

I got my retraining rip around the middle of December i think....I'm Career (at least until 2012 for now). Planning to be arriving around 1 July in order to inprocess/take house hunting and two weeks after for normal leave before class starts. Bringing the family...Does anybody know anything about their base housing?

sgthm
04-08-2010, 04:40 PM
I got my retraining rip around the middle of December i think....I'm Career (at least until 2012 for now). Planning to be arriving around 1 July in order to inprocess/take house hunting and two weeks after for normal leave before class starts. Bringing the family...Does anybody know anything about their base housing?

Base operator for Goodfellow: 654-1110. Call them and ask to be connected to the on base housing office. Once you get through to them, ask them to send you information regarding the housing you qualify for. Good luck!

BIGGUNS85
04-08-2010, 04:51 PM
haha! not to go too off the wall with this, but the base housing operators at Goodfellow are idiots...Give em a try, last time I asked for "pinnacle family housing" i got an avionics backshop, a training squadron CQ, and the base BX. The housing seems decent enough from the info I've gathered but I'm kindof looking for "non-pamphlet" info....like does it suck or does it not suck?

sgthm
04-08-2010, 05:09 PM
haha! not to go too off the wall with this, but the base housing operators at Goodfellow are idiots...Give em a try, last time I asked for "pinnacle family housing" i got an avionics backshop, a training squadron CQ, and the base BX. The housing seems decent enough from the info I've gathered but I'm kindof looking for "non-pamphlet" info....like does it suck or does it not suck?

The operators gave me the correct number the one and only time I called, so they're at 100% accuracy but if you've had that many issues, good luck then. :P If I were you, I wouldn't care about the housing too much. You will only be there for a short while. Be glad you an bring your family if anything. I'm mil-to-mil and the hubby won't be able to join me until the follow on-hopefully.

m@yhem
04-08-2010, 07:10 PM
I am bringing my family with me to tech school..Does anyone know if I would be able to stay on base housing if there is any??? Also if anyone knows anything about the Encino Apartments or anywhere else that might be better...

sgthm
04-08-2010, 07:50 PM
FYI Everyone code 5 waiting for code 6: Just talked to AFPC, and they spoke with the person who is actually scheduling us these class dates. I'm currently waiting to hear back from this person directly, but the word is right now that everyone that has been code 5 for a while, you will be getting a class date in the next 2-3 business days. Woo Hoo! A light at the end of the tunnel. I'm waiting to hear back from the scheduler to see if there was any truth to the 60 person class (mentioned a few posts above this one) and if so, when will it be starting. I'll keep everyone updated as soon as I find out!

leaveit2josh
04-08-2010, 10:32 PM
Any idea if the class is already full? I doubt they will give 60 class dates out now if the class is starting so soon. I've heard of a 60 day notice instead of the normal 120 days. So with that said, unless the class is starting 2 or more months from now, I bet the class is already filled. I'm just hoping they haven't filled the classes over their limit. I doubt it though if the normal class sizes are around 12-19, and now a 60. Why not distribute the ones still needing a class date throughout the classes left in FY 2010. Just common sense I think but who knows what the real agenda is. From my knowledge, that would make sense but they always have more rules and reasons for doing these crazy things.

That class is full. I more or less felt inclined to put that info out there to let concerned people know that classes are getting larger and there may be more slots filled in a timely manner. No way in heck you're getting into that one...I believe it starts a week from tomorrow. The caveat here is that "60" isn't a solid number....the instructor said "something like 60" so he could've been wrong; I just know that my class and a few others are switching to nights to accommodate the new class coming in, which sucks. I like days.

sgthm
04-08-2010, 10:47 PM
That class is full. I more or less felt inclined to put that info out there to let concerned people know that classes are getting larger and there may be more slots filled in a timely manner. No way in heck you're getting into that one...I believe it starts a week from tomorrow. The caveat here is that "60" isn't a solid number....the instructor said "something like 60" so he could've been wrong; I just know that my class and a few others are switching to nights to accommodate the new class coming in, which sucks. I like days.

I contacted the scheduler but nothing yet. Darn time differences. I just want a class seat or find out that I won't be getting one so I can plan accordingly. I still have 4 months left of my window so I would like another chance at retraining if for some reason 1N1X1A falls through.

Nukes-To-Intel
04-09-2010, 12:43 AM
sgthm--well, i talked with the functional again this morning, and asked to have my date pushed to a lot sooner than the end of the year, so she emailed my supervision and I guess they're routing it. But yeah, my hope is to get in a class in or around may-june. she seems like she's trying to get stuff done though. And yours is good news too. So with any luck, we'll all have clas dates soon!

sgthm
04-09-2010, 03:21 AM
sgthm--well, i talked with the functional again this morning, and asked to have my date pushed to a lot sooner than the end of the year, so she emailed my supervision and I guess they're routing it. But yeah, my hope is to get in a class in or around may-june. she seems like she's trying to get stuff done though. And yours is good news too. So with any luck, we'll all have clas dates soon!

So you have the functional (person who arranges assignments) phone number? Or do you have the retraining post (class date scheduler) phone number? Who have you been talking to? I didn't think the functional would be much help in our issue right now. They could help out in getting your choice of a follow on. PM me the info you have if you can. I'll send you the info I have once I get it (tomorrow morning).

Nukes-To-Intel
04-09-2010, 12:23 PM
The 1N1 Functional Manager...and while she does deal with assignments, she has a good bit of sway over the entire operation. If our functional in the Nuke world calls and asks about something, well, it's like a Col asking... and Col's ask, so Lt Col's suggest, then majors instruct, and by the time the flight supervision hears it, it's law, ya know? haha. But if it gets me anywhere in the next couple of days I'll be glad to PM you her stuff...

Panamenagurl
04-09-2010, 01:41 PM
Hey everyone..my fundies class starts 21 May and im looking for a roomie. I'd prefer a place with a garage for my bike, but its cool if there isn't one..If you're interested PM me.

sgthm
04-09-2010, 02:10 PM
The 1N1 Functional Manager...and while she does deal with assignments, she has a good bit of sway over the entire operation. If our functional in the Nuke world calls and asks about something, well, it's like a Col asking... and Col's ask, so Lt Col's suggest, then majors instruct, and by the time the flight supervision hears it, it's law, ya know? haha. But if it gets me anywhere in the next couple of days I'll be glad to PM you her stuff...

You're awesome. Thank you!

If I ever get in contact with the scheduler, I'll send you his info. ;)

m@yhem
04-09-2010, 03:57 PM
does anyone have a class date after october?? also, does anyone know anything about getting an earlier class date????

sgthm
04-09-2010, 04:19 PM
does anyone have a class date after october?? also, does anyone know anything about getting an earlier class date????

AFI36-2626

3.8. Class Change Requests. The MPF sends the request to the parent MAJCOM. The unit commander
must fully justify and endorse the requests.
3.8.1. If the MAJCOM deems the class change request valid, the MAJCOM forwards the recommendation
to HQ AFPC/DPPAET for final action. MAJCOMs have disapproval authority.

So get with your MPF and see what the process is. Good luck!

sgthm
04-09-2010, 07:46 PM

Found more info for you, maybe this is what you were looking for.
If you go to vMPF, click on Self-Service, then click Assignments, then under assignments, it has a link to: Report Not LaterThan Date (RNLTD) Change Request

Hopefully the AFI reference and this info helps you get what you were looking for.

sgthm
04-09-2010, 08:56 PM
Need to vent: Definitely getting pissed off at the scheduler. They're backed up/behind with issuing class dates and the SrA scheduler decided to cut out WAY early today. Once this person is at work, and actually answers the phone, it is not going to be pretty. Grrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!

Soundhound
04-12-2010, 12:58 PM
To Soundhoud and Tuxation, I am finally here in San Angelo as well and settledin with the family, My RNLTD is on the 20th so I guess I will either inprocess on Monday or Wednesday, not really sure which yet. If you guys wanna met up or anything we should PM one another

Pea-shooter and Tuxation Im down to meet up...I'll PM a little bit further into the week after i finalize my travel plans...I have a long drive from FL ahead. Can't wait to get this ball rollin. laters

Pea-shooter
04-12-2010, 03:08 PM
sounds great, good luck on your drive over here from Florida

sgthm
04-12-2010, 03:35 PM
Nukes-to-Intel: heard anything yet?
Nothing yet on my end...

sgthm
04-12-2010, 04:00 PM
Just got off the phone with AFPC-No class seats available as of yet for FY2010 code 5 personnel. Still waiting.....

Nukes-To-Intel
04-12-2010, 05:36 PM
sgthm--well, functional was of some help. Got me in touch with a MSgt in AFPC's retrain department, and apparently, at least as far as the functional said, was that AFPC hadn't yet sent the schoolhouse my info. So the retrain dept. just forwarded the info to the FTA retrain guy and said if I don't have a date by Friday to call him. I'll PM you the contact info, see if yours is the same way.

sgthm
04-12-2010, 10:52 PM
sgthm--well, functional was of some help. Got me in touch with a MSgt in AFPC's retrain department, and apparently, at least as far as the functional said, was that AFPC hadn't yet sent the schoolhouse my info. So the retrain dept. just forwarded the info to the FTA retrain guy and said if I don't have a date by Friday to call him. I'll PM you the contact info, see if yours is the same way.

So with 1N1X1A, I will not get a class date for FY2010. Once the class dates for FY2011 open (a few more days according to the scheduler), everyone code 5 for FY2010 will be slotted for FY2011 seats. So it looks like I will not leave for tech school until after Oct.1. Nice. I tried, oh well. The scheduler did reassure me that I will get a class seat, because I had mentioned the rumors of some people loosing their code 5 because of no seats available. We'll see....

sgthm
04-14-2010, 02:40 PM
If you have a class date for FY2011 (A date after Oct.1, 2010), please post your class date. Read previous post and you will kind of get my reasoning. I would like to know when those seats are being assigned.

2_From_NH
04-14-2010, 10:41 PM
Wow, why didn't I find this until now? Man, there is alot of good information in here.

Well, FYI, I will be joining the 23 April class.

BTW, do all the rooms have a TV in them? I'd imagine so, but want to verify lol

Pea-shooter
04-15-2010, 01:49 PM
cool that is 4 of us so far tha will be in the 23rd class. Are you here in San Angelo yet?

2_From_NH
04-15-2010, 02:56 PM
Definitely not lol. my RNLTD is the 19th. I'm still here in Cali. How is San Angelo right now?
I wonder how many other people are going to be in our class?

sgthm
04-15-2010, 03:08 PM
FYI: FY2011 Seats ARE available. Just opened up within the last 48 hrs or so.

Nukes-To-Intel
04-15-2010, 04:27 PM
5 Oct for the B shred here....

Soundhound
04-15-2010, 04:33 PM
cool that is 4 of us so far tha will be in the 23rd class. Are you here in San Angelo yet?

4...Sweet...Im leaving Florida at about 3 AM on Saturday. I should be in San Angelo sometime Sunday afternoon. Hopefully I can get someone to give me a dorm room key.

sgthm
04-15-2010, 04:44 PM
4...Sweet...Im leaving Florida at about 3 AM on Saturday. I should be in San Angelo sometime Sunday afternoon. Hopefully I can get someone to give me a dorm room key.

So does anyone know how that works? I am married mil to mil, live in base housing, finished lease-paying month to month, housing was deducted from my check (higher ranking, they deduct dependate rate, I am only paid single rate). When I go to tech school, can I stay in the dorms? Will I lose my BAH and will my husband have to move off base while I am in tech school? I have no idea how this is going to play out.

Pea-shooter
04-15-2010, 05:48 PM
Definitely not lol. my RNLTD is the 19th. I'm still here in Cali. How is San Angelo right now?
I wonder how many other people are going to be in our class?

Sent ya a PM

Pea-shooter
04-15-2010, 05:51 PM

I sent you a PM as well

adgc
04-15-2010, 06:11 PM
Stationed at Dyess AFB (80 miles north of Goodfellow) and have class date in A shred of 28 Sep. Moving 20 Aug. Does anyone know if The Landings (Pinnacle) off base-base housing allow Prior Service to move in if only for 6 months? Any help is appreciated.

AC, TSgt, 15yrs

adgc
04-15-2010, 06:26 PM
So does anyone know how that works? I am married mil to mil, live in base housing, finished lease-paying month to month, housing was deducted from my check (higher ranking, they deduct dependate rate, I am only paid single rate). When I go to tech school, can I stay in the dorms? Will I lose my BAH and will my husband have to move off base while I am in tech school? I have no idea how this is going to play out.

Your best bet is talk to Finance at your base. I tried the Finance at Goodfellow.... good luck getting anyone on the phone. I'm not mil-to-mil so I really couldn't help you. I do know that if you live in the dorms at Goodfellow, you lose BAH and BAS and you don't get Family Separation. My wife (if she stays behind) will be allowed to stay in base housing at Dyess with an extension letter from the shirt and commander. Since you husband is also mil, who knows what will happen. Sorry :( -AC

Pea-shooter
04-15-2010, 06:28 PM
Stationed at Dyess AFB (80 miles north of Goodfellow) and have class date in A shred of 28 Sep. Moving 20 Aug. Does anyone know if The Landings (Pinnacle) off base-base housing allow Prior Service to move in if only for 6 months? Any help is appreciated.

AC, TSgt, 15yrs

Swet good ole' Dyess I just came from there(5 years there) I originally called the landings and at the time there was unsure if they had anything for my family and I, so I decided to find a rental place. But it might be different for you since you are still a ways out. check into lakeshore village, their website is lakeshorevillagesa.com

Pea-shooter
04-15-2010, 06:31 PM
Your best bet is talk to Finance at your base. I tried the Finance at Goodfellow.... good luck getting anyone on the phone. I'm not mil-to-mil so I really couldn't help you. I do know that if you live in the dorms at Goodfellow, you lose BAH and BAS and you don't get Family Separation. My wife (if she stays behind) will be allowed to stay in base housing at Dyess with an extension letter from the shirt and commander. Since you husband is also mil, who knows what will happen. Sorry :( -AC

(this is for sgthm)
I would also recommend talking to TMO because they told me as well that if I left my family behind there is 50/50 chance my PCS move from goodfellow would not be reimbursed by the government. Since your orders to here will probably have your family listed.

sgthm
04-15-2010, 07:09 PM
I've got a friend up in assignments and she is researching it for me now if my husband will even follow me to tech school. My husband and I were married b4 we enlisted, so we have the same DOS and everything. He is also trying to retrain. So throw that into the equation=complicated. lol. BTW, just got my class date right b4 lunch (had to call) and I start class 16 August 2010 through 20 Jan 2011. Anybody else in this class?

adgc
04-16-2010, 02:58 AM
Swet good ole' Dyess I just came from there(5 years there) I originally called the landings and at the time there was unsure if they had anything for my family and I, so I decided to find a rental place. But it might be different for you since you are still a ways out. check into lakeshore village, their website is lakeshorevillagesa.com

Thanks for the info!! We are really trying for Base Housing, apartments in San Angelo aren't all that great... especially not for 3 kids and one on the way. We'll see what happens. I'll keep the villages in mind though.

What did you do at Dyess? I was Ellsworth 6 yrs, then Dyess since 2001. What a way to end Dyess with another PCS to Texas?? -AC

firenomore
04-16-2010, 08:31 AM

Sgthm,

Unless you were approved for a joint spouse assignment, there should be no problem with your husband remaining in housing (that is if you have kids). If no kids, they may make him move out, because he will be just like a single person in housing. If this were a TDY for you, then he could stay, but with this being a PCS, then there is no more justification for family housing.

On the note about losing BAS and BAH, that is where the BAH waiver comes into play. You can fill out a BAH waiver and get BAH for where your dependents are, and they will provide you a dorm room at Goodfellow. The family sep thing is true though. I am still trying to fight through that one. I believe it can bo done.

ihatemyjob
04-16-2010, 02:03 PM
I've got a friend up in assignments and she is researching it for me now if my husband will even follow me to tech school. My husband and I were married b4 we enlisted, so we have the same DOS and everything. He is also trying to retrain. So throw that into the equation=complicated. lol. BTW, just got my class date right b4 lunch (had to call) and I start class 16 August 2010 through 20 Jan 2011. Anybody else in this class?

I was actually wondering the same thing. I'm mil-to-mil but I have been in for 8 years and my wife for 1, but we have been married all 8 years. I have 2 1/2 years TOS and my wife will have 1 by my RNLTD. The TOS requirements for join-spouse assignments is now 1 year so she should be good to go as far as that goes. The thing that worries me is if she will even get the same RNLTD for the follow-on assignment considering she will only have 6 months TOS at Goodfellow by the time I'm done with school. I don't want her getting stuck at Goodfellow for another 6 months until she can meet the TOS requirements for a PCS. As of earlier this week when I turned in my PCS Rip, I declared that my dependent would not relocate to my PCS assignment, just to be on the safe side. As of yesterday, it got a whole lot more complicated. We just found out my wife is pregnant and is due in December but I will be at Goodfellow through March so I either need to try to get an earlier class date so I can try to be out of school by December-ish, or we will have to apply for a join-spouse assignment to Goodfellow and hope we don't get screwed in the end. With my luck, they'll just leave me stationed at Goodfellow.

sgthm
04-16-2010, 02:17 PM
Sgthm,

Unless you were approved for a joint spouse assignment, there should be no problem with your husband remaining in housing (that is if you have kids). If no kids, they may make him move out, because he will be just like a single person in housing. If this were a TDY for you, then he could stay, but with this being a PCS, then there is no more justification for family housing.

On the note about losing BAS and BAH, that is where the BAH waiver comes into play. You can fill out a BAH waiver and get BAH for where your dependents are, and they will provide you a dorm room at Goodfellow. The family sep thing is true though. I am still trying to fight through that one. I believe it can bo done.

Technically my husband is not considered my dependent according to the AF. So I doubt they will even consider the waiver. It is only about a -$54 dollar difference. Either way, it is more BAH then I am currently making because I sew on Aug.1. But how will the lodging work for me at Goodfellow? I would preferrably stay on base. Will they take my entire BAH or will they charge me a set rate? This will be my 2nd PCS if you count the one from tech school. So it's been a while and I have no idea how this is going to work. P.s. TMO is closed for 'training'. Also, my husband and I went ahead and rented a small apartment off base and will make the move this time next month. It should work out perfectly. Now I'm trying to figure out how my living situation is going to be while I'm at Goodfellow.

My husband will be able to retrain, it will just be a matter of talking with both functionals around the time of the orders being issued. He is submitting his application for retraining today, so if he gets a FY11 spot, he should get a class seat right away, and he may leave almost right after me with the way the timeline is going.

ihatemyjob-Congrats on the baby!!! I'm sure they will try and help you out. Good luck with everything and keep us all updated. I'm sure someone will benefit from your outcome, because you know the same situation is going to happen to someone else. So share the info you find. Congrats again!

Pea-shooter
04-16-2010, 02:42 PM
Thanks for the info!! We are really trying for Base Housing, apartments in San Angelo aren't all that great... especially not for 3 kids and one on the way. We'll see what happens. I'll keep the villages in mind though.

What did you do at Dyess? I was Ellsworth 6 yrs, then Dyess since 2001. What a way to end Dyess with another PCS to Texas?? -AC

Backshop avionics for the ole' B1-B....

adgc
04-18-2010, 03:16 AM
Backshop avionics for the ole' B1-B....

Flightline Crew Chief, B-1B - Hated every bit of it.
Assistant NCOIC Base Honor Guard - Loved every minute of it!
Currently stuck in an office-job patiently waiting for 20 Aug (moving) and then 24ish Sep (Class). Well worth the wait, though. -AC

Nukes-To-Intel
04-18-2010, 11:45 AM
hey does anybody know whether early reporting is authorized? I'd love to get the hell out of dodge real quick, even if it is to sit around on my ass for a couple months...

adgc
04-18-2010, 04:09 PM
hey does anybody know whether early reporting is authorized? I'd love to get the hell out of dodge real quick, even if it is to sit around on my ass for a couple months...

On my Notification RIP, I put down a request for Final Out Date of 20 Aug, that puts me in San Angelo in time for the 10-11 school season for my kids. My class isn't until late September. I plan to in-process the base, show up at the squadron, then take my 10 days house hunting and then leave. If you've got leave, I would try that. -AC

Straz1999
04-18-2010, 10:11 PM
Just started out-processing my base and even turned in my gas mask already. I will be turning in my line badge this Friday and have my final out next thursday. Pretty excited to finally get started on this. Who else has a start date of May 7th? I'm pretty sure I'm gonna be shacking up in the dorms for the time being.

sgthm
04-19-2010, 10:23 PM
Anybody know of any good apartments near the base? I've heard the grove is best. I'm about to call them for prices...But other suggestions would be appreciated!

sgthm
04-21-2010, 04:27 PM
Need some advice....I updated my dream sheet not realizing it would change my status from: BOP-In conjuction with retraining TO: Equals. So, I know with the BOP, there is no chance of getting anything overseas. Which my husband and I would love to do. As far as my stateside choices, they are the bases that ppl are getting a lot anyway. I had heard of a few getting Hickam and Ramstein, so should I call AFPC to try and get my BOP status back, or should I leave it the way it is so I have a shot at overseas? I would love to get Hurlburt, born and raised in FL, but we would also love to get that overseas experience. Any thoughts or suggestions would be great!

AndGuz
04-22-2010, 12:21 AM
Need some advice....I updated my dream sheet not realizing it would change my status from: BOP-In conjuction with retraining TO: Equals. So, I know with the BOP, there is no chance of getting anything overseas. Which my husband and I would love to do. As far as my stateside choices, they are the bases that ppl are getting a lot anyway. I had heard of a few getting Hickam and Ramstein, so should I call AFPC to try and get my BOP status back, or should I leave it the way it is so I have a shot at overseas? I would love to get Hurlburt, born and raised in FL, but we would also love to get that overseas experience. Any thoughts or suggestions would be great!

By all means, post if you can succesfully submit a BOP with retraining. From what I have read in the different AFI's, it seems this is only an option for FTA. My understanding is that for us career Airmen, Assignment Preference Sheet is the only way, but by all means please prove me wrong so that I can have some hope :)

Panamenagurl
04-22-2010, 03:45 PM

Hey sgthm,

You're right. With the BOP its only stateside bases, but the thing with that is that you're going to have a very good chance of getting where you wanna go (what you put down). The thing with doing the EQUAL list is, it's based on slots, which depending on your grad date aren't even avaliable yet. If i were you, i would go for the BOP and get a guaranteed stateside base I wanna go to versus playing the EQUAL list incase there's nothing but garbage bases on there.

I wish i could apply for the BOP, but the terms are different for Career Airmen so I get what i get.

Soundhound
04-22-2010, 05:43 PM
So I made it to Goodfellow on Saturday...man that that was one long drive, 15 hours straight, not for the faint of heart. I got stopped for speeding as well (got off with warning though). Ok here is the deal Goodfellow is set up primarily for pipeliner students. What this means is we prior enlisted are coming in bind. There is nothing setup for us from the squadrons, or base for that matter, points of view to help us out. Which makes me irate, and the base agencies like to play the "are you permeant party, or a student" card. The answer you give seems to equal the treatment you get. Which by the way does't constitute receiving the correct information in either case. So attitude is everything here... stay flexible and positive! I intend to try and stir things up a bit, because either the squadron is satisfied with the status-quo which is unacceptable in my mind, or doesn't know there is a problem which is even more troubling...where is the First Shirt? The officers seem to have a system set up to help each other out why not enlisted? Enlisted needs to take care of Enlisted, and stop kissing officer butt! The excuse i keep hearing is this how AETC works...well fuck that...Take care of our people and our people will take care of the mission. Sorry guys I needed to vent. More to come.

sgthm
04-22-2010, 05:55 PM
So I made it to Goodfellow on Saturday...man that that was one long drive, 15 hours straight, not for the faint of heart. I got stopped for speeding as well (got off with warning though). Ok here is the deal Goodfellow is set up primarily for pipeliner students. What this means is we prior enlisted are coming in bind. There is nothing setup for us from the squadrons, or base for that matter, points of view to help us out. Which makes me irate, and the base agencies like to play the "are you permeant party, or a student" card. The answer you give seems to equal the treatment you get. Which by the way does't constitute receiving the correct information in either case. So attitude is everything here... stay flexible and positive! I intend to try and stir things up a bit, because either the squadron is satisfied with the status-quo which is unacceptable in my mind, or doesn't know there is a problem which is even more troubling...where is the First Shirt? The officers seem to have a system set up to help each other out why not enlisted? Enlisted needs to take care of Enlisted, and stop kissing officer butt! The excuse i keep hearing is this how AETC works...well fuck that...Take care of our people and our people will take care of the mission. Sorry guys I needed to vent. More to come.

Looks like I'll be bringing my radar detector with me. ;) I have to drive 10.5 hrs. If I had to drive 15, I would have to take a break.

Thanks for the warning on what to expect. I'm sure everyone leaving soon appreciates the heads up. Keep us updated on how class is and anything else you think we might find useful. Good luck with the everything!!!

AndGuz
04-22-2010, 07:20 PM
Looks like I'll be bringing my radar detector with me. ;) I have to drive 10.5 hrs. If I had to drive 15, I would have to take a break.

Thanks for the warning on what to expect. I'm sure everyone leaving soon appreciates the heads up. Keep us updated on how class is and anything else you think we might find useful. Good luck with the everything!!!

Man, I am not looking forward to this... 28hr drive; yipee!... Not!

sgthm
04-22-2010, 07:24 PM
Man, I am not looking forward to this... 28hr drive; yipee!... Not!

Holy hell, 28 hrs? Where are you coming from?

leaveit2josh
04-23-2010, 03:07 AM
Soundhound, you have a PM.

firenomore
04-23-2010, 07:41 AM

Soundhound, you sound like my kinda guy.... I'm quick to say FUCK THAT too, especially concerning answers like that one. Give em hell man.

I do have a question about the setup there. Is there email and user account set up for you so that you can access the global? I'm thinking it wont be, but you never know.

I can remember a few speeding tickets between San Angelo and San Antonio when I was there many moons ago. If I remember correctly, the speed limit drops at night too right?

leaveit2josh
04-23-2010, 04:03 PM
Soundhound, you sound like my kinda guy.... I'm quick to say FUCK THAT too, especially concerning answers like that one. Give em hell man.

I do have a question about the setup there. Is there email and user account set up for you so that you can access the global? I'm thinking it wont be, but you never know.

I can remember a few speeding tickets between San Angelo and San Antonio when I was there many moons ago. If I remember correctly, the speed limit drops at night too right?

There is no email set-up for priors. However, if you can convince somebody you're a brand new officer out of OTS, you'll get one quicker than you can blink.

sgthm
04-23-2010, 04:09 PM
There is no email set-up for priors. However, if you can convince somebody you're a brand new officer out of OTS, you'll get one quicker than you can blink.

If this were like facebook, I would have clicked "Like". ;) That was funny.

firenomore
04-26-2010, 08:15 AM
Thats good to know. I have a few friends that I need to get contact info from. I would normally catch up with them on the global, but now I will have to adapt. Thanks.

cmwolf
04-26-2010, 07:38 PM
Anyone,

I have been approved to apply for 1N1x1A and 1N1x1B AGAIN! BS allergy MEB and assignments have thrown a wrench in my process a few times. Any students or recent graduates have pros or cons about each AFSC? I also was wondering how long tech school was? Is it considered a TDY or a PCS? I know in the past is was a PCS because it was so long, but wondering if it has changed. Thanks, Wolf

sgthm
04-26-2010, 08:00 PM
Anyone,

I have been approved to apply for 1N1x1A and 1N1x1B AGAIN! BS allergy MEB and assignments have thrown a wrench in my process a few times. Any students or recent graduates have pros or cons about each AFSC? I also was wondering how long tech school was? Is it considered a TDY or a PCS? I know in the past is was a PCS because it was so long, but wondering if it has changed. Thanks, Wolf

Still a PCS. I leave for tech school in August. Have heard good and bad things. Just read this forum from most recent going back and you will get the 'jist' of it. If anything, try and shadow someone in the career field if you can.

cmwolf
04-27-2010, 02:04 AM
Another question,

Did anyone else have to submit a ETP (exception to policy letter)? What did you put in it? I just PCS'd into my new base 8 Apr 10 and I want to make sure the letter is good so my new CC will approve it. I have been on leave and haven't even started working yet. Studying for Tech. I am a 3C0 or 3D0 now. I asked if I had to submit one and AFPC said yes since my career field is balanced even though 1n1 has available quotas. I hope it I get appoved this time. Thanks

sgthm
04-27-2010, 02:54 AM
Another question,

Did anyone else have to submit a ETP (exception to policy letter)? What did you put in it? I just PCS'd into my new base 8 Apr 10 and I want to make sure the letter is good so my new CC will approve it. I have been on leave and haven't even started working yet. Studying for Tech. I am a 3C0 or 3D0 now. I asked if I had to submit one and AFPC said yes since my career field is balanced even though 1n1 has available quotas. I hope it I get appoved this time. Thanks

A tech in my current AFSC was declined, even after our CC approved his ETP. Good luck! Maybe your functional will let you go.

ihatemyjob
04-27-2010, 06:51 AM
Another question,

I had to do an ETP because my career field is also balanced. It was actually pretty simple but AFPC is very picky about how it is written. If you PM me your e-mail address, I will send you a copy of my ETP letter so you know how AFPC wants it.

ihatemyjob
04-27-2010, 07:24 AM
I just looked at the Retraining Advisory and it looks like all the slots are gone except 1 slot for FTA. It looks like some of you that are just applying may have to wait until the new fiscal year quotas come out.

sgthm
04-27-2010, 02:13 PM
I just looked at the Retraining Advisory and it looks like all the slots are gone except 1 slot for FTA. It looks like some of you that are just applying may have to wait until the new fiscal year quotas come out.

They're out. Been out for almost two weeks or so now. Scroll down. ;)

m@yhem
04-29-2010, 01:55 PM
My wife is pregnant and her due date is in the middle of my projected course dates. I was wondering if anyone know how that would be handled? I am assuming that I would just take the few day of leave they give me for the birth, then wait until a class comes along in the block I was in and join them. If anyone knows how this goes, please let me know. Also if it is true that I wait until a class comes along, what would I be doing while I wait, details?

sgthm
04-29-2010, 02:22 PM
M@YHEM- Your best bet would probably be to contact the schoolhouse and ask them about your situation. The classes, from my understanding, are not done in blocks. It is a two part class. So if anything you may have to submit a change class date request. Possibly go through the first fundies month long class, have baby/time off, then wait for the next class to start. Your base operator could connect you to Goodfellows base operator, and ask for the imagery analysis course chief's number, FYI-it's not a chief, it's a Capt. ;) Good luck. Let us know what happens, could be useful info for someone else that comes along later. Congrats!

m@yhem
04-29-2010, 05:41 PM
M@YHEM- Your best bet would probably be to contact the schoolhouse and ask them about your situation. The classes, from my understanding, are not done in blocks. It is a two part class. So if anything you may have to submit a change class date request. Possibly go through the first fundies month long class, have baby/time off, then wait for the next class to start. Your base operator could connect you to Goodfellows base operator, and ask for the imagery analysis course chief's number, FYI-it's not a chief, it's a Capt. ;) Good luck. Let us know what happens, could be useful info for someone else that comes along later. Congrats!

I just talked to the course chief (Capt.) and he said there are blocks in the imagery analysis course. If my wife gives birth after the fundamentals and I am in the actual imagery course, I would just wait until a class caught up to which block I was in and join that class. I also asked approximately how long of a wait it might be after my leave and he told me that there are classes starting about every ten days, meaning expect to start soon after. Thanks for the help. I have his number if anyone would like it. I am unsure if I can post it on here.

sgthm
04-29-2010, 07:29 PM
I just talked to the course chief (Capt.) and he said there are blocks in the imagery analysis course. If my wife gives birth after the fundamentals and I am in the actual imagery course, I would just wait until a class caught up to which block I was in and join that class. I also asked approximately how long of a wait it might be after my leave and he told me that there are classes starting about every ten days, meaning expect to start soon after. Thanks for the help. I have his number if anyone would like it. I am unsure if I can post it on here.

I had his number also, but do not post it on here. If someone wants it, they can contact him thru you or by calling the base operator like I stated before. I honestly do not think he will appreciate everyone and their momma calling him. lol.

Straz1999
05-05-2010, 12:25 AM
Made it to Goodfellow. I have to say, the base is quite a bit smaller than I thought it would be, especially for an AETC base. BX is small, gym is kind of a dump (although in the middle of renovation) and the people here are not exactly much help. I will post more when I get further along with my in-processing.

sgthm
05-05-2010, 04:40 PM
Straz1999-Keep us updated. Hopefully the gym is finished by the time I get there in August. I was going to spend my spare time studying and working out. Are you staying in the dorms? I will be contacting The Grove sometime this week to find out more.

HeresJonesy
05-06-2010, 03:06 AM
For those looking to have their spouse stay behind on base...

I spoke with the housing office at my current base. I was given an "Exception to Policy" form to fill out. It appears as though I write down the reasoning, and it then goes to the housing manager/directory (in our case, Balfour Beatty housing manager), for approval. If that's approved, then I just need power of attorney for my wife. I was assured that there doesn't need to be a BAH waiver or letter from my CC. I just want to make sure I don't have to worry about my wife getting the boot from housing while I'm down at Goodfellow. Not saying your base may be the same, but if you're unsure this is at least a start. BTW, my first shirt called ahead of time, so maybe that helped too.

Is anyone else starting on the Sept 14 class date? I think I've asked that, but this thread has gotten huge, and I haven't even been here long.

Oh, and thank you to all for your previous posts. It helped when it came time to extend (NOT reenlist like my and I'm sure like so many MPFs tried to make me to).

Straz1999
05-06-2010, 03:14 AM
Just a hint. If your class starts on a Friday, be sure and start in-processing at the schoolhouse by Tuesday so that you can make the 730 Wednesday appointment that is only held on Monday and Wednesdays at the Family Readiness Center.

HeresJonesy
05-06-2010, 03:49 AM
Well that works out then. My RNLTD is on a Friday, and my class starts the following Tuesday. Think I may get there on the 9th though. Does anyone know about arriving early? As far as getting a dorm room early, or if it's paid out of pocket?

sgthm
05-06-2010, 02:28 PM
From my "research", if your spouse remains on base and you used an exception to policy letter to do so, you will still be responsible for that payment (of course). However, you will not be allowed to stay in the dorms at Goodfellow because you are receiving BAH. Therefore, you are required to pay (from your basic pay) for an apartment/room off base. The BAH waiver only lets you receive your current base BAH rather than Goodfellows if your current base is allotted more.

Has anyone not received their orders via MPF? I'm being told by my MPF that my formal training is unit funded and that I have to obtain my orders via DTS. If this is true, does it make it into a TDY for me? I was told the coding on my training rip stated it was a PCS, but they're saying I have to go thru DTS. This makes no sense to me. I've been trying to contact my UTM like MPF stated to do, but the phone just rings and rings. If anyone else has had this problem, please let me know what you had to do... Thank you!

HeresJonesy
05-06-2010, 05:56 PM
I just got off the phone with Finance from Goodfellow. They stated that it doesn't matter so much if your spouse is on your orders, as to whether or not they're eligible to be on your orders. If they're eligible and choose to not accompany you, then you will lose FSA (family separation allowance). However, you will be able to file a travel voucher at Goodfellow and live either on base in the dorms or off base. Then the BAH waiver comes into play, to keep the BAH at the same so your spouse can continue to live on base.

AndGuz
05-07-2010, 09:58 AM
Has anyone not received their orders via MPF? I'm being told by my MPF that my formal training is unit funded and that I have to obtain my orders via DTS. If this is true, does it make it into a TDY for me? I was told the coding on my training rip stated it was a PCS, but they're saying I have to go thru DTS. This makes no sense to me. I've been trying to contact my UTM like MPF stated to do, but the phone just rings and rings. If anyone else has had this problem, please let me know what you had to do... Thank you!

That is nonsense. It is a PCS. Remind them of their own AFI (36-2110; Assignments)

PCS
2.51.5. To, from, or between schools (must be 20 weeks or more in duration) conducted at a military base or conducted, controlled, and managed by a Uniformed Service at a civilian education institution or elsewhere. NOTE: Airmen do have a DLA allowance, but the allowance is excluded from DLA computation.

TDY
4.1. Purpose of TDY. IAW 37 USC 404, this instruction authorizes personnel to be temporarily assigned to perform duty at a location other than their permanent duty station in support of contingency operations, exercise, manning assistance as described, and for duty for the administrative reasons shown. It prescribes policies, procedures, restrictions, and guidance for selection and effective management of personnel for TDY for these reasons only. TDY manning assistance may be used to satisfy one-time operational manning requirements of short duration or to satisfy long-term operational manning requirements on a temporary basis while PCS arrangements are completed. Administrative TDY is used only for official military reasons to advise or participate in such activities as briefings, lectures, staff assistance, meetings, conferences, or to attend a course of instruction of less than 20 weeks. Before directing TDY, officials must be convinced TDY is essential and the results will pay back the AF for the cost of the TDY. Further, the cost in terms of unit, member, and family turbulence associated with TDY must be considered and the TDY deemed essential to satisfy the needs of the AF. TDY for other reasons, such as, to appear as a witness, for medical evaluation, and so on, is not authorized under the authority of this instruction. The authority for that type TDY, funding authorization, criteria for selection of people (if applicable), and so on, should be addressed in the instruction which authorizes TDY for those purposes. TDY which is not authorized by this instruction or some other AF instruction may be submitted for consideration as an exception according to paragraph 1.5. Exceptions must be requested and the TDY approved in advance. Approval of TDY as an exception does not include funding. The availability of funding may not be the sole basis for approval of TDY. TDY approved as an exception is on the basis that TDY serves the best interests of the AF. TDY IAW this instruction, including as an exception, cannot be authorized solely for personal reasons. Permissive Travel (see Attachment 1) is authorized and approved according to the criteria in AFI 36-3003, Military Leave. For contingency and exercise TDY operational procedures, refer to AFI 10-401, Air Force Operational Planning and Execution, AFI 10-403, Deployment Planning and Execution and AFI 36-3802, Personnel Support for Contingency Operations (formerly AFI 10-215) or contact AFPC/DPW at dpw.task.mgt@randolph.af.mil..

This is a PCS and DTS has nothing to do with it. Your orders should list your corresponding RAFSC, i.e., 1N111x.

sgthm
05-07-2010, 08:12 PM
That is nonsense. It is a PCS. Remind them of their own AFI (36-2110; Assignments)

PCS
2.51.5. To, from, or between schools (must be 20 weeks or more in duration) conducted at a military base or conducted, controlled, and managed by a Uniformed Service at a civilian education institution or elsewhere. NOTE: Airmen do have a DLA allowance, but the allowance is excluded from DLA computation.

TDY
4.1. Purpose of TDY. IAW 37 USC 404, this instruction authorizes personnel to be temporarily assigned to perform duty at a location other than their permanent duty station in support of contingency operations, exercise, manning assistance as described, and for duty for the administrative reasons shown. It prescribes policies, procedures, restrictions, and guidance for selection and effective management of personnel for TDY for these reasons only. TDY manning assistance may be used to satisfy one-time operational manning requirements of short duration or to satisfy long-term operational manning requirements on a temporary basis while PCS arrangements are completed. Administrative TDY is used only for official military reasons to advise or participate in such activities as briefings, lectures, staff assistance, meetings, conferences, or to attend a course of instruction of less than 20 weeks. Before directing TDY, officials must be convinced TDY is essential and the results will pay back the AF for the cost of the TDY. Further, the cost in terms of unit, member, and family turbulence associated with TDY must be considered and the TDY deemed essential to satisfy the needs of the AF. TDY for other reasons, such as, to appear as a witness, for medical evaluation, and so on, is not authorized under the authority of this instruction. The authority for that type TDY, funding authorization, criteria for selection of people (if applicable), and so on, should be addressed in the instruction which authorizes TDY for those purposes. TDY which is not authorized by this instruction or some other AF instruction may be submitted for consideration as an exception according to paragraph 1.5. Exceptions must be requested and the TDY approved in advance. Approval of TDY as an exception does not include funding. The availability of funding may not be the sole basis for approval of TDY. TDY approved as an exception is on the basis that TDY serves the best interests of the AF. TDY IAW this instruction, including as an exception, cannot be authorized solely for personal reasons. Permissive Travel (see Attachment 1) is authorized and approved according to the criteria in AFI 36-3003, Military Leave. For contingency and exercise TDY operational procedures, refer to AFI 10-401, Air Force Operational Planning and Execution, AFI 10-403, Deployment Planning and Execution and AFI 36-3802, Personnel Support for Contingency Operations (formerly AFI 10-215) or contact AFPC/DPW at dpw.task.mgt@randolph.af.mil..

This is a PCS and DTS has nothing to do with it. Your orders should list your corresponding RAFSC, i.e., 1N111x.

I've been back and forth arguing with the formal training office about contacting the necessary ppl to fix this. Someone loaded it incorrectly. I was finally CC'd on the email sent up to the scheduling person for these courses. Hopefully something gets fixed. I just hope nothing bad happens. Like lose my class date or have to get it rescheduled or something crazy. Just reload it and make it correct this time. Crossing fingers.

adgc
05-08-2010, 02:58 PM
Reading the blogs above and on previous pages; Since we are prior service, we should be telling everyone there that we are Permanent Party (since it is a PCS after initial career field) and that way we get our email accounts set up. There is no excuse for any airman at GAFB so treat anyone like they are no one. They have a job to do, most of that is to support us as we PCS in. I can't wait to get there in August and school some of these idiots on how to do their damn job! As for the Exception To Policy... am I to assume that that my wife can stay in my base house on Dyess (Abilene) and I will still get BAH to live in an apartment there? That seems a little too far fetched. I did take a couple of weekends to drive the 1 hour down there to view the base and the area. These guys are right, it is very small, and there is a lot of building renovation and street construction going on. I found our building over at the 17TW by the back gate. Looks like we park in the large parking lot, the smaller is for the senior staff. If anyone has any more intel (no pun) on any of these situations, please share. And to the guy with the pregnant wife, mine is too. Do you mind getting with me directly and sharing the Captain's number? I need to fill him in as she will be giving birth shortly after fundies. Thank you- AC, TSgt, 15yrs

leaveit2josh
05-09-2010, 05:02 PM
I am wondering if there are any Finance/Ex-Finance troops on the board...or anyone with any knowledge on DLA, feel free to chime in. I was reading that you can only receive DLA once per fiscal year, although certain exceptions do apply. Since this school was a PCS, and I brought my family with, I received full DLA...I graduate July 30 and will be PCSing again, obviously, before fiscal year rolls over. Would this be considered an exception? Doesn't seem right to me that I (and many others) would be left out to dry by having to pay out of pocket for first months rent.

Disclaimer: I contacted Finance here, and they are giving me the run around...

sgthm
05-10-2010, 10:56 AM
Reading the blogs above and on previous pages; Since we are prior service, we should be telling everyone there that we are Permanent Party (since it is a PCS after initial career field) and that way we get our email accounts set up. There is no excuse for any airman at GAFB so treat anyone like they are no one. They have a job to do, most of that is to support us as we PCS in. I can't wait to get there in August and school some of these idiots on how to do their damn job! As for the Exception To Policy... am I to assume that that my wife can stay in my base house on Dyess (Abilene) and I will still get BAH to live in an apartment there? That seems a little too far fetched. I did take a couple of weekends to drive the 1 hour down there to view the base and the area. These guys are right, it is very small, and there is a lot of building renovation and street construction going on. I found our building over at the 17TW by the back gate. Looks like we park in the large parking lot, the smaller is for the senior staff. If anyone has any more intel (no pun) on any of these situations, please share. And to the guy with the pregnant wife, mine is too. Do you mind getting with me directly and sharing the Captain's number? I need to fill him in as she will be giving birth shortly after fundies. Thank you- AC, TSgt, 15yrs

You can do an ETP letter and your wife can stay in base housing, but you will not get additional BAH to get an apartment in San Angelo. You will also not be able to stay in the dorms because that would be forfeiting your BAH. Basically, you will have to pay for an apartment out of your regular base pay. Best thing to do is to bring your wife with you and use your BAH to get a cheap apartment for the both of you to stay in San Angelo.

As far as the other guy talking about DLA twice within a fiscal year, I think you're right about getting it only once. If I were in your situation, I would've used the DLA I got first as sparingly as possible and saved some for the next PCS. If anything, start saving now to afford it later. Maybe your bonus (if applicable) will help. Maybe living on base at your next base will help offset the costs.Good luck.

leaveit2josh
05-10-2010, 04:15 PM
You can do an ETP letter and your wife can stay in base housing, but you will not get additional BAH to get an apartment in San Angelo. You will also not be able to stay in the dorms because that would be forfeiting your BAH. Basically, you will have to pay for an apartment out of your regular base pay. Best thing to do is to bring your wife with you and use your BAH to get a cheap apartment for the both of you to stay in San Angelo.

As far as the other guy talking about DLA twice within a fiscal year, I think you're right about getting it only once. If I were in your situation, I would've used the DLA I got first as sparingly as possible and saved some for the next PCS. If anything, start saving now to afford it later. Maybe your bonus (if applicable) will help. Maybe living on base at your next base will help offset the costs.Good luck.

Thanks for the tip....the thing about it, is that although I live on base here at Goodfellow, it is privatized. Had to pay first months and 2 weeks worth of rent up front which came out to just under $1,600...hopefully Finance can give me a solid answer this week as to how it works.

Thanks again.

HeresJonesy
05-10-2010, 10:25 PM

Hmm. I spoke with our Finance folks here and was told something different (go figure, right?). My wife will be staying behind, although she is civilian if that makes a difference. See below:

1. Privatized Housing - received an ETP letter that was approved
2. My Finance Folks - stated that since Goodfellow AFB had higher BAH than me current base, I would not have to do a BAH waiver for my wife to stay on base.
3. Goodfellow Finance - I was told that I when I arrived at Goodfellow, I would file a voucher to let me live on base in the dorms. This was particularly important for me to find out, as I was not certain if they would pay for my wife to be on base here and me at the dorms at Goodfellow. But there must be some sort of system in play, as I know 2 other friends who cross-trained while their spouses stayed behind on base. I don't remember them saying anything about paying for a place to live out of pocket.

Does anyone else have any advice on this? Very important issue, and we appear to be getting multiple answers. I just don't want to get down to Goodfellow and have them tell me that I won't be living in the dorms.

Rawful Kawpter
05-10-2010, 10:40 PM
I am wondering if there are any Finance/Ex-Finance troops on the board...or anyone with any knowledge on DLA, feel free to chime in. I was reading that you can only receive DLA once per fiscal year, although certain exceptions do apply. Since this school was a PCS, and I brought my family with, I received full DLA...I graduate July 30 and will be PCSing again, obviously, before fiscal year rolls over. Would this be considered an exception? Doesn't seem right to me that I (and many others) would be left out to dry by having to pay out of pocket for first months rent.

Disclaimer: I contacted Finance here, and they are giving me the run around...

We had a discussion at finance(Goodfellow) about this issue and it seems they were unaware of the JFTR Chapter 5 Section G Paragraph U5620 that explains very plainly that you can receive DLA twice in the same fiscal year....

"2. Member is on PCS to, from, or between courses conducted, controlled and managed by one or more of the Services;"

When they finally came to the understanding that they couldn't argue their points anymore in the face of the governing regulation they said the were going to send it up to AETC so they could get their 'read' on it. They said they would get in contact with those of us that would be affected a little over a week ago. I think I might swing by finance tomorrow to check up on the issue.

leaveit2josh
05-11-2010, 12:39 AM
We had a discussion at finance(Goodfellow) about this issue and it seems they were unaware of the JFTR Chapter 5 Section G Paragraph U5620 that explains very plainly that you can receive DLA twice in the same fiscal year....

"2. Member is on PCS to, from, or between courses conducted, controlled and managed by one or more of the Services;"

When they finally came to the understanding that they couldn't argue their points anymore in the face of the governing regulation they said the were going to send it up to AETC so they could get their 'read' on it. They said they would get in contact with those of us that would be affected a little over a week ago. I think I might swing by finance tomorrow to check up on the issue.

Seriously?! I was there Friday and talked with that Collins kid who seems to be the only one that works and he had no clue; neither did his supervisor. This isn't my first go around with the fine troops at Finance here either, and I've yet to be impressed.

Thanks for filling me in!

sgthm
05-11-2010, 02:23 AM
Hmm. I spoke with our Finance folks here and was told something different (go figure, right?). My wife will be staying behind, although she is civilian if that makes a difference. See below:

1. Privatized Housing - received an ETP letter that was approved
2. My Finance Folks - stated that since Goodfellow AFB had higher BAH than me current base, I would not have to do a BAH waiver for my wife to stay on base.
3. Goodfellow Finance - I was told that I when I arrived at Goodfellow, I would file a voucher to let me live on base in the dorms. This was particularly important for me to find out, as I was not certain if they would pay for my wife to be on base here and me at the dorms at Goodfellow. But there must be some sort of system in play, as I know 2 other friends who cross-trained while their spouses stayed behind on base. I don't remember them saying anything about paying for a place to live out of pocket.

Does anyone else have any advice on this? Very important issue, and we appear to be getting multiple answers. I just don't want to get down to Goodfellow and have them tell me that I won't be living in the dorms.

Maybe the difference was that I am mil-to-mil. Good luck!

adgc
05-11-2010, 03:02 AM
Pardon me... I don't know if it's me being tired, or if I just can't seem to get a grasp of this. $1600 up front to live in Base Housing? That's absurd!! I was going to live in Privatized housing, but not at that rate. For those of you who are there, are there any 3-bedroom apartments near an elementary school? I hate to reduce my family to this, but if Pinnacle is going to steal every bit I make, I think my family can make the sacrifice for the 6 months we'll be there. Any assistance is appreciated. AC

leaveit2josh
05-11-2010, 12:00 PM
Pardon me... I don't know if it's me being tired, or if I just can't seem to get a grasp of this. $1600 up front to live in Base Housing? That's absurd!! I was going to live in Privatized housing, but not at that rate. For those of you who are there, are there any 3-bedroom apartments near an elementary school? I hate to reduce my family to this, but if Pinnacle is going to steal every bit I make, I think my family can make the sacrifice for the 6 months we'll be there. Any assistance is appreciated. AC

You read that right. All $1,089 of my BAH is taken from Pinnacle via an allotment each month. We moved into our house in the middle of February so we had to pay for the days in February plus first month's rent which came to roughly $1,600....for a two bedroom, 960 sq ft "house". It's actually a fourplex with a carport. It's awful. More than half my house is in storage because it wouldn't all fit and we have to have housing maintenance spray for our new friends, the roaches. That's what you get when houses that were built in the 1940's are still being utilized. It's pathetic.

If I could have done it again, knowing what I know now, I would have found a place off base but with two big dogs it's kind of hard getting a place that allows them.

Good luck!

P.S. Yes, there are three bedrooms available in these houses....there are also new homes that look like the base housing at other bases (you know, new, garages, not infested) but I was told that "those aren't available to the revolving door of students". Take it FWIW.

adgc
05-11-2010, 02:51 PM
You read that right. All $1,089 of my BAH is taken from Pinnacle via an allotment each month. We moved into our house in the middle of February so we had to pay for the days in February plus first month's rent which came to roughly $1,600....for a two bedroom, 960 sq ft "house". It's actually a fourplex with a carport. It's awful. More than half my house is in storage because it wouldn't all fit and we have to have housing maintenance spray for our new friends, the roaches. That's what you get when houses that were built in the 1940's are still being utilized. It's pathetic.

If I could have done it again, knowing what I know now, I would have found a place off base but with two big dogs it's kind of hard getting a place that allows them.

Good luck!

P.S. Yes, there are three bedrooms available in these houses....there are also new homes that look like the base housing at other bases (you know, new, garages, not infested) but I was told that "those aren't available to the revolving door of students". Take it FWIW.

We've seen the new housing down the road toward 306 (we live only an hour north of Goodfellow now) and according the housing office here at Dyess, there is no problem with us getting into one of the Pinnacle homes in that neighborhood, since it is a PCS. But I refuse to pay out of pocket to live in Base Housing. Seems like a total ass-poundung experience to me. Hopefully, with a little research, I can find out more info regarding this. I understood that they are supposed to give a certain amount for electricity bills. Does that even happen... or do you even pay for electricity? AC

Rawful Kawpter
05-11-2010, 10:29 PM
Seriously?! I was there Friday and talked with that Collins kid who seems to be the only one that works and he had no clue; neither did his supervisor. This isn't my first go around with the fine troops at Finance here either, and I've yet to be impressed.

Thanks for filling me in!

One of the other NCOs talked to them yesterday and I went in today and it seems that they are now willing to process the second DLA in a fiscal year for students. Now that they are fully on-board it seems wise to get the DLA for the PCS to Goodfellow anyway you want and get the DLA for the PCS out as advance from Goodfellow so you don't have to fight finance at the next base.

cmwolf
05-12-2010, 01:56 AM
Thank you again "ihatemyjob" for the ETP template. I just got it back signed from my CC. I submitted all my paperwork for the retraining package into my stuff and vMPF. How long does it take to get an answer back from AFPC? I hope they release me from my current AFSC. How far out are class start dates? I am very excited and can't wait to here the good news.

hazard22083
05-12-2010, 05:30 PM
Just found out on 7May10 that i am awaiting class seat! does anyone know how long it takes for TS clearance to be finalized after the personal interview with the investigator.i had mine on 2may10.
also, for people already in class... how is it? whats your perspective?

leaveit2josh
05-13-2010, 02:03 AM
Just found out on 7May10 that i am awaiting class seat! does anyone know how long it takes for TS clearance to be finalized after the personal interview with the investigator.i had mine on 2may10.
also, for people already in class... how is it? whats your perspective?

The TS really is dependent on your personal history. My original TS took 11 months to process whereas a friend of mine had his in about a month and half...this was almost six years ago, so there is a possibility that the process has been changed some, but I doubt it. The investigator told me it was because I had lived outside the country as a kid (AF brat) and they had trouble tracking people down for interviews.

As for class...it's not bad. You really do have to apply yourself though. We've had some pipeliner's fail out of the course for thinking they were on a free ride. If you don't take it seriously and use class time wisely to study, you won't do well. The first few weeks absolutely suck as far as the material being presented, but once you get past the 1N Core work and into the blocks where you actually get to apply principles that have been learned, it gets really fun.

hazard22083
05-14-2010, 01:14 AM
thats the exact answer i was looking for...i am still awaiting a class date, it sux this waiting game! how are the work out facilities up there? they better be better than here at eglin.
how does the BAH waiver go if i want to stay in the dorms? my wife is active duty also and has to stay behind and the BAH here is more than goodfellow.

sgthm
05-14-2010, 03:35 AM
thats the exact answer i was looking for...i am still awaiting a class date, it sux this waiting game! how are the work out facilities up there? they better be better than here at eglin.
how does the BAH waiver go if i want to stay in the dorms? my wife is active duty also and has to stay behind and the BAH here is more than goodfellow.

I'm also mil-to-mil. The BAH waiver is not for the use you're looking for. What my husband and I are having to do is get into a cheap apartment, put the majority of our stuff in storage so we can fit into the apartment. Then, when I get to Goodfellow in August, I have a cheap apartment lined up there. You will have to use your BAH for you, and she will have to use her BAH for herself. Sucks doesn't it?

leaveit2josh
05-14-2010, 11:59 AM
The workout facilities leave a lot to be desired. I would say the nicest thing here is the outdoor track/artificial turf football field that we PT on every friday. We were told the reason facilities aren't as nice as other bases (gym, bx, commissary) is because funding/staffing are based on permanent party numbers and not students. There are two gyms here and both are very cramped and very old...but, they're still free to get in to.

hazard22083
05-14-2010, 02:15 PM
I'm also mil-to-mil. The BAH waiver is not for the use you're looking for. What my husband and I are having to do is get into a cheap apartment, put the majority of our stuff in storage so we can fit into the apartment. Then, when I get to Goodfellow in August, I have a cheap apartment lined up there. You will have to use your BAH for you, and she will have to use her BAH for herself. Sucks doesn't it?

according to the AFI it is supposed to be used the way i am intending to do it. it is meant for a PCS for less than 12 months and to keep the higher BAH of your previous duty station. if i cant stay in the dorms so be it. i can get a cheap apt. anyone else apply for the BAH waiver that can let me know what steps to take?

hazard22083
05-14-2010, 02:16 PM
leavit2josh- thank for all the info. i am a gym rat so i might have to deal with those circumstance or find a gym off base. any other info you would have for a prior service SSgt would be greatly appreciated!

hazard22083
05-18-2010, 05:06 PM
yea got the same dates here...dont reenlist just extend. once we graduate and hold the AFSC then reenlist to get the SRB.

Flynntastic
05-18-2010, 09:04 PM
Here's what I gather:

AFI 36-2626 Table 3.3 - Retainability Requirement For Voluntary And Selective Retraining
If Airman is a first-term airman, applying for retraining under CAREERS, extend enlistment 23 months (combined total of all extensions) beyond normal Expiration Term of Service (ETS) and have at least 14 months remaining service beyond class graduation. Any CDA beyond 14 months is waived (all notes apply).

So it sounds like I have to extend 23 months past my ETS (Nov 2010) in order to retrain (im not currently on any extensions). Anybody else in the same boat that extended for a shorter period of time? I'm headed to the MPF tomorrow to see what they say.

firenomore
05-19-2010, 07:32 AM
Dont just accept the 23 months. I know it was mentioned quite a few pages ago in this thread, but I'm pretty sure that you can get away with 14 months or something like that. It will probably be best to extend for the least amount of time possible so as to not have to deal with the obligated service reduction when it comes to your SRB.

leaveit2josh
05-19-2010, 11:37 PM
Not wanting to be a bearer of bad news...but for the priors, you all need a heads up. Word on the street is that in mid June, all classes will be postponed. It's due to the lack of instructors and classrooms being available due to construction being 6 months behind schedule.

Not sure how that will affect some of you, aside from pissing you off, but I'd get in contact ASAP with the functional and see if anything can be done.

m@yhem
05-20-2010, 11:55 PM
Not wanting to be a bearer of bad news...but for the priors, you all need a heads up. Word on the street is that in mid June, all classes will be postponed. It's due to the lack of instructors and classrooms being available due to construction being 6 months behind schedule.

Not sure how that will affect some of you, aside from pissing you off, but I'd get in contact ASAP with the functional and see if anything can be done.

Where did you hear this...?? I called the school house and they said there was no delay or heard of an upcoming delay... I also called formal training and they saidrhe same thing.... If you hear any more word, or know any more could you please post it... Thanks

leaveit2josh
05-21-2010, 12:00 AM
Where did you hear this...?? I called the school house and they said there was no delay or heard of an upcoming delay... I also called formal training and they saidrhe same thing.... If you hear any more word, or know any more could you please post it... Thanks

Instructor came in two days ago after a meeting. He was whining about being overworked and what not...he then went on to say exactly what I posted. Maybe he was mistaken...I'll keep my ear to the ground though and see if anything else is said.

hazard22083
05-21-2010, 12:34 AM
if anything they would push back the classes that are starting in 2011. so it is possible that the retrainees who get picked up in june will have to wait until next june to start. I too had my flight chief call up there, who knows the MSgt in the schoolhouse, and nobody has heard that. again it is the military so anything can happen

m@yhem
05-21-2010, 02:30 AM
Instructor came in two days ago after a meeting. He was whining about being overworked and what not...he then went on to say exactly what I posted. Maybe he was mistaken...I'll keep my ear to the ground though and see if anything else is said.

Thanks for the heads up... Keep everyone posted...

cmwolf
05-23-2010, 05:13 PM
More bad news for anyone that may still be in the application process. I found out friday from AFPC after getting all my paperwork together that all the quotas for 1N111A/B have been met. So back to the drawing board.

hazard22083
05-24-2010, 05:23 PM
yea like flynn and i both have fy11 slots and start nov 10th. so there are plenty of slots available for fy11. just apply and you'll find out. the fiscal year 11starts in oct.

edtr77
05-31-2010, 08:32 AM
Anyone slated to go to school on 14 Jul 10?

AndGuz
05-31-2010, 08:06 PM
I start the week before that. Which shred are you?

sgthm
06-01-2010, 05:30 AM
Anyone starting 16 August other than the ones I've already talked to?

I've been on leave the past two weeks and right b4 I left I found out the class scheduler loaded my info wrong so my base formal training office was arguing over TDY/PCS and if it was unit funded or not. I've got my fingers crossed to see what is in my email tomorrow morning.

hazard22083
06-03-2010, 04:56 PM
quick question....does anyone know when you hold the 1N1X1A AFSC. is it after the fundamentals course or the actual analyst course? i cant find this anywhere

rpascual
06-05-2010, 03:01 PM
Question: has anyone currently at Goodfellow put their stuff in Non temporary storage and did a partial dity move? If you did, could you PM me and let me know how you worked that with outbound and TMO?

adgc
06-07-2010, 03:05 AM
Does anyone have a class date start of 28 Sep 10? That's my date unless I can get the 23 Aug class. Let me know. ADGC

jnun
06-09-2010, 12:05 AM
This might have been answered somewhere else in this 90+ page thread, but here goes anyways...

I heard somewhere (may have even been here) that the PCS to GAFB isn't considered permanent duty, and that you get a lower weight allowance for the PCS. Any truth to this?

Also, I know everyones situations are different, but if I did a DITY move, how much money do you make? It seems like I might as well have the AF deal with the move if There isn't that much of a benefit.
Feel free to PM me the answers if you want, to keep this thread under a little control.

And on a side note, I ended up having to take the 23 months as a FTA. Hopefully that bonus sticks around for a while, if not, oh well. There were no changes on last weeks SRB release.
If you go accompanied you are allowed full weight, if you choose to go unaccompanied you will be allowed 500lbs.

AndGuz
06-09-2010, 11:54 AM
Do you mean 5000lbs? 500lbs sounds like a DITY move.

sgthm
06-09-2010, 05:07 PM
If you're going by yourself, what all would you need? 500 LBS sounds about right. If you're married and your spouse is staying at your current station until you graduate, why would you need to be allotted 5,000? If you're having trouble with the 500, leave your stuff with the spouse, and just get a furnished apartment. Work with the Air Force, they are trying to work with you. *Snickers saracastically*

hazard22083
06-09-2010, 10:58 PM
If you go accompanied you are allowed full weight, if you choose to go unaccompanied you will be allowed 500lbs.

500lbs is if you are staying in dorms NOT just unaccompanied. you can go Unaccompanied but stay off base and then are allowed the weight for your paygrade.

sgthm
06-16-2010, 06:49 PM
Anyone else about to go to tech school or is already there that is considered there TDY? My MPF is confused about whether it's a PCS or TDY. Just curious to see what everyone else has been doing. If you're already there, let me know how things work and what to expect. Really appreciated!!!

AndGuz
06-16-2010, 07:10 PM
I am here and it is a PCS. Nobody here is TDY and what I know of the last individual whose MPF was confused: he arrived TDY, at the point of his first interim travel voucher (to pay for his GTC) neither his loosing unit nor the schoolhouse (and rightly so) wanted to provide the funds. So what happened to him? He was involuntarily washed back so that his loosing unit could fly him back, do a 'Mission Complete' on his "TDY" orders, then Final-Out and outprocess under brand new PCS orders. He did not mention how much the incorrect TDY orders cost the Government but he ended up having to start from scratch when he came back as they had re-structured the course. In other words this cat lost about four months of his life due to a clerk's mistake for not reading the assignments AFI. The latter clearly states (in the part about TDY's) that a training course or the total lenghth of one or more courses over 20 weeks should not be a TDY but a PCS. Further, my training RIP said clearly this was a PCS and points to an AETC Course web page which also (and for the third time) says it is a stinking PCS.

When is your class start date? 1N0 or 1N1?
PM me if you get really frustrated so I can give you some ideas.

afjasi
06-17-2010, 10:03 AM
I honestly fail to see why anyone would want to crosstrain into the 1U career field.....It looks great to be able to say it...But let's be realistic here....Imagery Analysists get tagged to go work the systems on the Predator or Reaper.....You go through the Imagery tech school, and that's the end of that portion....from then on you're working with the UAV's...Ok got that straight ? Fast Forward 10 to 20 years....Out of the Air Force...Looking for some job to use your skills....Let's see...General Atomics...(Builder of system), Border Patrol..(3 locations, 2 in Texas, 1 in North Dakota)..DEA (Haven't found any yet) . or working as an Instructor at Creech, Holloman or Kelly (or Randolph, don't remember for sure. Don't get me wrong, It's a great system and I applaude the men a women that work the long hours to keep them going and doing th job....I just don't see much of a future as a civilian - Yea, you will be one day again....Back to Imagery Analysists....Unbeleivable on the number of jobs out there for them....All over the world.. I may be wrong, If you know more opportunities for ex-sensors or even ex-uav pilots....let everyone know///

hazard22083
06-17-2010, 05:24 PM
I honestly fail to see why anyone would want to crosstrain into the 1U career field.....It looks great to be able to say it...But let's be realistic here....Imagery Analysists get tagged to go work the systems on the Predator or Reaper.....You go through the Imagery tech school, and that's the end of that portion....from then on you're working with the UAV's...Ok got that straight ? Fast Forward 10 to 20 years....Out of the Air Force...Looking for some job to use your skills....Let's see...General Atomics...(Builder of system), Border Patrol..(3 locations, 2 in Texas, 1 in North Dakota)..DEA (Haven't found any yet) . or working as an Instructor at Creech, Holloman or Kelly (or Randolph, don't remember for sure. Don't get me wrong, It's a great system and I applaude the men a women that work the long hours to keep them going and doing th job....I just don't see much of a future as a civilian - Yea, you will be one day again....Back to Imagery Analysists....Unbeleivable on the number of jobs out there for them....All over the world.. I may be wrong, If you know more opportunities for ex-sensors or even ex-uav pilots....let everyone know///

you might wanna post that into the 1U retraining thread then...but i agree and thats why i chose the 1n1x1A.

hugomk
06-17-2010, 06:06 PM

Not everyone has the same reason, the same goal that you have. You are doing or about to do 1N1 duties because of the great employment potential outside the military and that is fine. There are a lot of airman out there that has your reasons. But others are doing it because of other reasons like job satisfaction, big SRB, sick of their old jobs, want some challenge etc etc etc.

I'm a 1N1 but never got to do the Imagery duties. I'm converting into the 1U because I like what I'm doing and the job satisfaction I get is great. Now UAV is still fairly new compared to other systems and it is still growing. Other companies like Northrop and Lockheed Martin to name a few are buildingt their own UAV. Other countries are also building their own like the UK and Italy. So there will be jobs out there. Not as much as Imagery Analyst but there will be jobs out there for Sensors and Pilots. You probably heard this but the AF is looking for bases to put UAV squadron. Last thing I heard AF are looking for 4 more bases. The National Guard is also looking to base UAV squadron to other Guard Units as well. UAV is expanding in the military as well as in the civilian world.

Like I said earlier everyone has their own reasons. You might not see the reason why but, oh well.

sgthm
06-17-2010, 10:44 PM
Update: My MPF Formal Training section was still working my training rip as a TDY. However after calling all the phone numbers listed with no answer, I went down there in person. I have a friend down there and they told me that formal training is screwing up and that I am showing on the assignments roster as PCS'ing and to ignore formal training. My friend works in assignments and that I should be notified of orders NLT Monday. Yay! Finally a good answer. I was really hoping I wouldn't be sent there TDY. Wouldn't mind the per diem however I wouldn't want to come back to my current duty station like the guy mentioned above. Anyone already in tech school there want to PM me and give me some info on what to expect for a prior service (SSgt)? I'm curious to see how many prior service retrainees there are. I'm hoping there aren't a ton of pipeliners. How annoying that would be...

mai86
06-18-2010, 12:36 AM
Does anyone know the deal with re-enlistment while in a extension? Would I be able to re-enlist and then just add the remaining extension on top of the enlistment? Would the rest of the extension be cancelled?

Flynntastic
06-18-2010, 04:30 AM
I *THINK* that if you are within your one year of the end of your extension, that when you reenlist, they treat it just like they would a reenlistment out of a "normal" contract. They add on the new service AFTER the extension ends. So, if you have 11 months remaining on your extension and reenlist for 4 years, you now owe 4 years and 11 months (again, not 100%, but thats how someone explained it). If you hadn't entered your extension yet, you could cancel it altogether and reenlist.

sgthm
06-18-2010, 02:20 PM
I *THINK* that if you are within your one year of the end of your extension, that when you reenlist, they treat it just like they would a reenlistment out of a "normal" contract. They add on the new service AFTER the extension ends. So, if you have 11 months remaining on your extension and reenlist for 4 years, you now owe 4 years and 11 months (again, not 100%, but thats how someone explained it). If you hadn't entered your extension yet, you could cancel it altogether and reenlist.

You're correct.

leaveit2josh
06-18-2010, 04:35 PM
You're correct.

Do you have a reference for this? I've looked in the AFI's for something, ANYTHING, that actually spells it out and I've come up empty. A few of us priors have asked here but it's like anything else, ask 5 different people, get 5 different answers. MPF told us under no circumstances can you reenlist after you've entered your extension, (you'll see that this mpf/finance here is awe inspiring...) and an instructor told us last week that if you are in Zone A, you can reenlist a year out and Zone B you have to wait until you're three months out.

Thanks.

sgthm
06-18-2010, 06:14 PM
Do you have a reference for this? I've looked in the AFI's for something, ANYTHING, that actually spells it out and I've come up empty.

I read it in there somewhere. I do have a friend up in assignments/reenlistments so I will ask her and see if she has a specific page/paragraph number. If I find out, I will post it on here. My question for leaveit2josh: Is the MPF telling you that you cannot reenlist at all? What are they telling you? My friend also explained it to me and it was the way flynntastic said. Almost verbatim. I'll try to find out...

hazard22083
06-18-2010, 06:15 PM
Do you have a reference for this? I've looked in the AFI's for something, ANYTHING, that actually spells it out and I've come up empty. A few of us priors have asked here but it's like anything else, ask 5 different people, get 5 different answers. MPF told us under no circumstances can you reenlist after you've entered your extension, (you'll see that this mpf/finance here is awe inspiring...) and an instructor told us last week that if you are in Zone A, you can reenlist a year out and Zone B you have to wait until you're three months out.

Thanks.

you can re-enlist while in extension then you will owe whats remaining of extension PLUS the enlistment. now how the SRB works is for what is remaining of your extention you will subtract that from your re-enlistment. ie- 12 months left on extension, reenlist for 6 years, srb will be calculated using 5 years. srb= years(5)*basepay(2500)=12500*zoneb(7)=87500. receive 50% initially- 28%tax=31500 lump sum. then receive 43750 for remaining 4 years in equal annual sums A.S=10937.50-28%tax=7875 annual sum on anniversary.

hope this helps...this is a simple explaination unless it has changed which the usaf does frequently

hazard22083
06-18-2010, 06:20 PM
on the back of your extension paperwork it says you can reenlist at any time during your extension but it will not be canceled. zone A and zone B has nothing to do with when you can reenlist in your extension. thats just how to calculate bonuses.

hazard22083
06-18-2010, 07:07 PM
AFI 36-2606
First-term airmen may reenlist in a retraining status if they're eligible according to Table 3.8, complete retraining, and possess the 3-skill level in the new AFSC. Second-term and career airmen must already possess another awarded AFSC with a skill level commensurate with their current grade in order to reenlist in the retraining AFSC at the 3-skill level. If not, they must request a waiver according to Table 3.5. (EXCEPTION: Retrainees into Air Traffic Control can't reenlist for an SRB entitlement until award of SEI 056, 058, or 364 to their PAFSC, 2AFSC, etc. CAFSC SEIs are not considered.) Retrainees cannot reenlist at the 1-skill level under any circumstances.

Airman’s Action
A. Self-explanatory (the airman’s initials aren’t required or authorized). B. Self-explanatory (the airman’s initials aren’t required or authorized). C. MPFs complete the appropriate item for any reenlistment guarantee, as specified in paragraph 3.7. Airmen initial in the item provided to attest to the guarantee. If there are no reenlist ment guarantees, airmen initial in the appropriate item provided to indicate no guarantees were made. D. Complete this section ONLY when reenlistees have an approved SRB (or RRB) authorization. When this section is completed, airmen enter their initials in the space provided. MPFs enter the SRB zone and multiple authorized for the reen listment. (Sample entry: Zone A, multiple 1/2.) MPFs enter the SRB AFSC, and only the new obligated service as outlined in Chapter 2. (For example, if the members reenlist for 4 years, and have 11 months obligated service at the time of reenlistment, the entry would be 3 years, 1 month.) For airmen entitled to an RRB, MPFs enter the full term of reen listment (for example, 4 years, 0 months). Leave this item blank when airmen are not entitled to an SRB or RRB. Complete this section before the unit commander’s certification in Section IV. MPFs type the airman’s full name and grade (USAF is authorized but not required). Airmen sign their payroll signatures and enter the date in the appropriate item. All reenlist ees WILL sign this section of the AF Form 901, regardless of reenlistment guarantees, SRB entitlements, or the absence of either. Airmen sign this section on, or up to 30 calendar days before, the date of discharge. Their signatures certify that all statements and information contained in Sections III-A, B, C, and D are true and accurate. (Sample entry: 16 Apr 95; JAY ALLEN BENNETT, SSgt.)
table 3.8
first-term, 4-year enlistee
anytime after completing 36 months on the current enlistment if the air men has an approved CJR (refer to paragraph 1.14.).

first-term, 6-year enlistee
anytime after completing 60 months on the current enlistment if the air man has an approved CJR (refer to paragraph 1.14.).

second-term or career
to get retainability for promotion to MSgt, SMSgt, or CMSgt.

airman
to get required retainability for service schools.
to get required retainability for PCS, PCA, or TDY assignment.
to get required retainability for completion of an extension to an overseas tour, or provide 12 months' service retainability after arrival of com mand-sponsored family members at an overseas location.
within the 3-month period before ETS.
within the 15-month period before an established (or requested) DEROS if the airman requires additional retainability.
within the 15-month period before DOS if the airman has elected (or is maintaining) an indefinite DEROS.

leaveit2josh
06-18-2010, 08:55 PM
Thank you Hazard! It really amazes me that the professionals at the MPF are not aware of this or are too lazy to deal with it. I myself have been over there twice (talked to two separate individuals, SrA/TSgt) and got the same answer. I'll have to go take a look at my extension paperwork as well....great info to know, since graduation is right around the corner!

imported_Lt Bullitt
06-19-2010, 02:26 AM
I reenlisted two weeks ago here and my obligated service (20 months of my extension left) was added to the end of my 4yr reenlistment (can't go over 6yrs). So you can reenlist here but you first need to be coded as a 3 level in the system after you graduate. And I've known of 4 other individuals here that have done the same thing including my roommate and he hadn't hit his extension yet.

hazard22083
06-19-2010, 01:58 PM
I reenlisted two weeks ago here and my obligated service (20 months of my extension left) was added to the end of my 4yr reenlistment (can't go over 6yrs). So you can reenlist here but you first need to be coded as a 3 level in the system after you graduate. And I've known of 4 other individuals here that have done the same thing including my roommate and he hadn't hit his extension yet.

if you dont enter your extension then it can be canceled. but yeah that sound correct.

mai86
06-20-2010, 11:32 PM
you can re-enlist while in extension then you will owe whats remaining of extension PLUS the enlistment. now how the SRB works is for what is remaining of your extention you will subtract that from your re-enlistment. ie- 12 months left on extension, reenlist for 6 years, srb will be calculated using 5 years. srb= years(5)*basepay(2500)=12500*zoneb(7)=87500. receive 50% initially- 28%tax=31500 lump sum. then receive 43750 for remaining 4 years in equal annual sums A.S=10937.50-28%tax=7875 annual sum on anniversary.

hope this helps...this is a simple explaination unless it has changed which the usaf does frequently
Great Info! Thanks a lot! I have 12 months left on my extension. So you are saying I am able to reenlist for 6 but the bonus will be caculated for 5 yr enlistment? But, I still do my 6 years + the remaining 12 months of my extension? Just making sure I understood.

hazard22083
06-21-2010, 01:25 AM
Great Info! Thanks a lot! I have 12 months left on my extension. So you are saying I am able to reenlist for 6 but the bonus will be caculated for 5 yr enlistment? But, I still do my 6 years + the remaining 12 months of my extension? Just making sure I understood.

yes that is correct. the 12 is obligated regardless. but subtracting it is the airforces way to deter you from re-enlisting earlier than later. either way it is capped at 90k and the max is something like 5yr and 1 month that they can calculate a 7.0x multiplier.

mai86
06-21-2010, 01:33 AM
yes that is correct. the 12 is obligated regardless. but subtracting it is the airforces way to deter you from re-enlisting earlier than later. either way it is capped at 90k and the max is something like 5yr and 1 month that they can calculate a 7.0x multiplier.

Do you know if its the same case with Zone A? I'm still a first term.

hazard22083
06-21-2010, 01:47 AM
Do you know if its the same case with Zone A? I'm still a first term.

Zone A is a 6.0x multiplier so you can calculate that. it doesnt go by FTA, second term, career...rather that Zone A is 17 months-6 yrs TIS, Zone B is 6-10yr TIS. zone C is 10-14 yrs TIS.

ihatemyjob
06-21-2010, 09:51 AM
if you dont enter your extension then it can be canceled. but yeah that sound correct.

You can only cancel your extension if you reenlist before entering your extension if you are a first-term airman retraining under CAREERS. If you are not a first-term airman (career airman) and you extended to accept retraining, if you wish to reenlist prior to entering your extension, your entire extension will be added to your new active duty commitment and they will subtract the length of your extension from your reenlistment bonus.

sgthm
06-22-2010, 10:43 PM
Anyone doing this job at Beale AFB? Just found out if I want to keep joint spouse, Beale is where we would go. I would really appreciate any info from knowledgeable ppl on the base, housing nearby (buy/rent), work load, anything of importance, or even some basic info. Glad to get out of our current base, but on the opposite end of where we wanted to go. :( However we are glad that joint spouse will work.

ihatemyjob
06-22-2010, 11:37 PM
Anyone doing this job at Beale AFB? Just found out if I want to keep joint spouse, Beale is where we would go. I would really appreciate any info from knowledgeable ppl on the base, housing nearby (buy/rent), work load, anything of importance, or even some basic info. Glad to get out of our current base, but on the opposite end of where we wanted to go. :( However we are glad that joint spouse will work.

What job does your husband have? I would also like to do join spouse but I don't want to go to Beale. My wife is medical though. Who did you have to talk to to find out about join spouse assignments?

sgthm
06-23-2010, 04:05 AM
What job does your husband have? I would also like to do join spouse but I don't want to go to Beale. My wife is medical though. Who did you have to talk to to find out about join spouse assignments?

My husband is in maintenance. According to the 1N1X1A functional (they called me), since I was given a BOP in conjunction with retraining, Beale is the only place he and I BOTH can go to when it comes down to what slots are available. I had to submit my BOP via MyStuff because someone at MPF screwed up. So because of the unique situation, the functional called me. My choices for my BOP (Robins/Hurlburt) could not work because of my joint spouse(I used AMS-Equals Authorized, which was completely WRONG!). So they got with my husbands functional and worked it out with them to see what bases they needed ppl at also, and Beale is what they came up with. From my research, Beale has overpriced/far away housing. A lot of farming but close to many national forests so that could be cool depending on if you're an out-doorsy person. We're not. lol. But we want to stay together and we'll take what we can get. At least it's not Cannon. We've heard horror stories from the ones that "make it out" of there.

ihatemyjob
06-24-2010, 12:26 AM
My husband is in maintenance. According to the 1N1X1A functional (they called me), since I was given a BOP in conjunction with retraining, Beale is the only place he and I BOTH can go to when it comes down to what slots are available. I had to submit my BOP via MyStuff because someone at MPF screwed up. So because of the unique situation, the functional called me. My choices for my BOP (Robins/Hurlburt) could not work because of my joint spouse(I used AMS-Equals Authorized, which was completely WRONG!). So they got with my husbands functional and worked it out with them to see what bases they needed ppl at also, and Beale is what they came up with. From my research, Beale has overpriced/far away housing. A lot of farming but close to many national forests so that could be cool depending on if you're an out-doorsy person. We're not. lol. But we want to stay together and we'll take what we can get. At least it's not Cannon. We've heard horror stories from the ones that "make it out" of there.

So is your husband going to have the same RNLTD for Beale as you or will be PCSing to Beale when you PCS to Goodfellow?

sgthm
06-24-2010, 02:21 PM
So is your husband going to have the same RNLTD for Beale as you or will be PCSing to Beale when you PCS to Goodfellow?
First let me say that we haven't gotten the official orders yet. The 1N1X1A functional is putting it into the system right now and coordinating with my husbands functional so we both get Beale. They had already both verified slots and it's ours if we wanted it. Once we said we wanted it, they were going to put it into the system. We told the functional yesterday morning we wanted it and they said they were going to put it in for us without counting it as my BOP. That was nice, for once! Usually AFPC ppl are heartless but this one wasn't. According to them, my husband cannot get there too early before me because the class has such a high drop out rate. They are going to try and get him there as early as allowable for the purpose of housing set up. I'll let you know what his RNLTD is once we find out.

sgthm
06-24-2010, 02:56 PM
Assignment is loaded. Military spouses are not allowed to report earlier because of the high "wash out" rate for 1N1X1A. They want to ensure you pass before your spouse gets there and then you fail and they have to re-do everything. It makes sense unfortunately. At least we're leaving, eventually...

ihatemyjob
06-25-2010, 02:56 AM
Assignment is loaded. Military spouses are not allowed to report earlier because of the high "wash out" rate for 1N1X1A. They want to ensure you pass before your spouse gets there and then you fail and they have to re-do everything. It makes sense unfortunately. At least we're leaving, eventually...

Thanks for the update. I had a feeling that's the way it worked but I just wanted to make sure. I don't know if I should make a move on trying to get this joint spouse assignment figured out now or if I should just wait until I get to school. Did you happen keep the functional's contact info? I think I need to start persuing this right now before it causes problems later. I just don't want to end up at Beale, even though I'm from California. My wife is a medical tech so she can go pretty much anywhere we're allowed to go. If you have the contact info, please send me a PM.

Soundhound
06-27-2010, 11:45 PM
Finally...there might be some support coming down the pipe for us prior service airmen PCSing with no support from the squadron/base. We had a meeting last week with a motivated instructor who actually listened to what was being said in his classes by priors and up channeled it to leadership. He has been tasked to put a program together (from the Sq level) to elevate the problems...and a few of us have volunteered to help. More to come.

imported_Lt Bullitt
06-28-2010, 09:36 PM
Yeah... I voiced a few things as I was out processing last week as well. Didn't know the commanders secretary was the head person to talk to about your GTC. No where on the generic paper out processing checklist (that MPF gives you) does it say who I needed to talk to about this. Majority of whats on the list doesn't apply to prior service and really only applies to pipeline students.

sgthm
06-28-2010, 10:53 PM
ihatemyjob-PM sent. Good luck and let me know what happens!

ihatemyjob
06-29-2010, 12:58 PM

Did you have to extend or reenlist to get retainability for retraining? If so, do you have enough retainability to get you through your follow-on assignment? I'm wondering if MPF will make you get retainability for Beale before you PCS to Goodfellow. I didn't extend to accept retraining because they wanted 36 months so instead I just waited to get my PCS RIP and then I had to extend 6 months to get retainability for my PCS to Goodfellow. Now I have just enough to have 24 months retainability for Goodfellow but not enough for the follow-on assignment. If they want us to have retainability for our follow-on before we leave to tech school, that's going to mess with our bonus. I'm hoping that's not the case.

hazard22083
06-29-2010, 01:34 PM
Did you have to extend or reenlist to get retainability for retraining? If so, do you have enough retainability to get you through your follow-on assignment? I'm wondering if MPF will make you get retainability for Beale before you PCS to Goodfellow. I didn't extend to accept retraining because they wanted 36 months so instead I just waited to get my PCS RIP and then I had to extend 6 months to get retainability for my PCS to Goodfellow. Now I have just enough to have 24 months retainability for Goodfellow but not enough for the follow-on assignment. If they want us to have retainability for our follow-on before we leave to tech school, that's going to mess with our bonus. I'm hoping that's not the case.

per AFI this AFSC requires 14 months retainability from completion of tech school. that is ALL that is required. depending on what was left of your enlistment will determine what additional time you would extend to meet the 14 month retainability. you did NOT need 24 months retainability for goodfellow alone. nor did you ever need 36 months of retainability for this particular AFSC.

ihatemyjob
06-29-2010, 02:00 PM
per AFI this AFSC requires 14 months retainability from completion of tech school. that is ALL that is required. depending on what was left of your enlistment will determine what additional time you would extend to meet the 14 month retainability. you did NOT need 24 months retainability for goodfellow alone. nor did you ever need 36 months of retainability for this particular AFSC.

The 14 months that you are referring to applies to most retraining jobs. Certain jobs, including 1N1X1A are on a CDA (control duty assignment) listing, which requires a specific amount of retainability. First term airman can be waived the full CDA requirement if they extend for 23 months to accept retraining. For career airmen, we must have or be able to obtain 14 months retainability, or full CDA requirements, whichever is greater. The minimum CDA for 1N1X1A 36 months. If you find someone at MPF who doesn't know the retraining AFI, a career airman can get away with 14 months if they don't know about or look at the CDA listing. The minimum retainability for a stateside PCS is 24 months. I had 18 months so they made me extend 6 months. I just recently read that if the PCS will result in a change in AFSC due to retraining, only 12 months of retainability is required. I need to go down to MPF and have them cancel my extension but I don't want them to know that my PCS is for retraining because they may dig deeper into the subject and realize that I actually needed to extend for the CDA requirement.

hazard22083
06-29-2010, 02:34 PM
The 14 months that you are referring to applies to most retraining jobs. Certain jobs, including 1N1X1A are on a CDA (control duty assignment) listing, which requires a specific amount of retainability. First term airman can be waived the full CDA requirement if they extend for 23 months to accept retraining. For career airmen, we must have or be able to obtain 14 months retainability, or full CDA requirements, whichever is greater. The minimum CDA for 1N1X1A 36 months. If you find someone at MPF who doesn't know the retraining AFI, a career airman can get away with 14 months if they don't know about or look at the CDA listing. The minimum retainability for a stateside PCS is 24 months. I had 18 months so they made me extend 6 months. I just recently read that if the PCS will result in a change in AFSC due to retraining, only 12 months of retainability is required. I need to go down to MPF and have them cancel my extension but I don't want them to know that my PCS is for retraining because they may dig deeper into the subject and realize that I actually needed to extend for the CDA requirement.

sorry man, thought you were a FTA like myself. for FTA applying under CAREERS the CDA is waived with a 14 month extension.

sgthm
06-29-2010, 02:44 PM
I had to extend 13 months, odd I know but I could care less. I'm a FTA so I will graduate before entering the extension anyway and I plan to cancel the extension and re-enlist for 6.

hazard22083
06-29-2010, 03:08 PM
I had to extend 13 months, odd I know but I could care less. I'm a FTA so I will graduate before entering the extension anyway and I plan to cancel the extension and re-enlist for 6.

nice plan...i will enter my 15 month extension by 1 month. i will then reenlist for 6 and the bonus will be calculated based on 58 months. regardless they cant pay out more than 90k

AndGuz
07-02-2010, 08:01 AM
@Hazard22083, thanks for all the good info on the bonuses and reenlistments. I do have a question as to how they do things here (I start class next week) in regards to retainability and PCS notification. Just like you were stating above I got the bare minimum retainability for a CONUS-CONUS PCS of 24 months. Upon graduation I will have 12 months left on current enlistment + 8 month extension (which obviously I would not have entered). I know that normally, to accept an assignment, retainability must be obtained. I would like to hold off, graduate, and reenlist once updated as 1N131A for 6 years.

From what I have read in all the previous 95 pages, assignment notification happens around 2 months before graduation. How is it that they can delay getting the retainability via reenlistment for 60+ days until they graduate? (of course the real reason being to get the SRB).

I would like to know your thoughts so that I can start aligning my chess pieces.
;)
Thanks.

PS: I remember reading somewhere in the Assignments AFI of reasons to request delay in obtaining required retainability. If I do remember correctly there was something in there that benefited those whose reason was to reenlist.

AndGuz
07-02-2010, 08:23 AM
I'm looking at:
AFI 36-2110 Assignments, Table 2.7, Rule 1, and Note 4
AFI 36-2606 ReEnlistments, Paragraph 2.10, Table 3.5 Item 3, and Table 4.1 Rule 16

It seems like it would be a waiver by the CC. Thoughts?

ihatemyjob
07-02-2010, 10:53 AM
@Hazard22083, thanks for all the good info on the bonuses and reenlistments. I do have a question as to how they do things here (I start class next week) in regards to retainability and PCS notification. Just like you were stating above I got the bare minimum retainability for a CONUS-CONUS PCS of 24 months. Upon graduation I will have 12 months left on current enlistment + 8 month extension (which obviously I would not have entered). I know that normally, to accept an assignment, retainability must be obtained. I would like to hold off, graduate, and reenlist once updated as 1N131A for 6 years.

From what I have read in all the previous 95 pages, assignment notification happens around 2 months before graduation. How is it that they can delay getting the retainability via reenlistment for 60+ days until they graduate? (of course the real reason being to get the SRB).

I would like to know your thoughts so that I can start aligning my chess pieces.
;)
Thanks.

PS: I remember reading somewhere in the Assignments AFI of reasons to request delay in obtaining required retainability. If I do remember correctly there was something in there that benefited those whose reason was to reenlist.

Most people believe, and the MPF will tell you, that you need to have 24 months retainability to do a CONUS-to-CONUS PCS. NOT FOR RETRAINING! This is straight out of AFI 36-2110, table 2.5: If PCS is CONUS to CONUS and AFSC is changing as a result of change of DAFSC (officer) or retraining (First Term Airmen) Then the minimum service retainability is 12 months.

I'm not sure which one this applies to but it could either apply to your PCS to Goodfellow OR your PCS from Goodfellow to another stateside base. My thought process leads me to think that a DAFSC doesn't change until you graduate from tech school so if this is the case, you shouldn't need to get any more retainability if you get a CONUS assignment at tech school. Then when you get in your reenlistment window, before you enter your extension, you can have your extension canceled and reenlist into 1N1X1a. Once you get to Goodfellow, you should go to the MPF and mention this AFI reference to see if it applies to your next PCS.

hazard22083
07-02-2010, 12:30 PM
Most people believe, and the MPF will tell you, that you need to have 24 months retainability to do a CONUS-to-CONUS PCS. NOT FOR RETRAINING! This is straight out of AFI 36-2110, table 2.5: If PCS is CONUS to CONUS and AFSC is changing as a result of change of DAFSC (officer) or retraining (First Term Airmen) Then the minimum service retainability is 12 months.

I'm not sure which one this applies to but it could either apply to your PCS to Goodfellow OR your PCS from Goodfellow to another stateside base. My thought process leads me to think that a DAFSC doesn't change until you graduate from tech school so if this is the case, you shouldn't need to get any more retainability if you get a CONUS assignment at tech school. Then when you get in your reenlistment window, before you enter your extension, you can have your extension canceled and reenlist into 1N1X1a. Once you get to Goodfellow, you should go to the MPF and mention this AFI reference to see if it applies to your next PCS.

i do have to make a quick correction...minimum retainability for FTA is 14 months after grad date for 1N1 per AFI, which i posted earlier. this is to ACCEPT the re-training quota. no more extension is necessary. now does it change with non-FT/CAREER airmen, yes. this is where the CDA comes into place which i do not know what it is for 1N1X1A off the yop of my head. i have never said you needed to obtain 24 month retainability for a CONUS-CONUS PCS for retraining. i hope you didnt misread my earlier post and run with that. if so it wouldnt matter either way.
if i am reading this correct-you have 20 months of obligated service left when you graduate. therefore you will be able to re-enlist as soon as you get to your PDS because you need to have atmost 12 months remaining on your original contract in order to re-enlist. this will concel your extension since you wont enter it and you will receive the full 90K bonus.

any more questions please feel free to ask

AndGuz
07-02-2010, 02:10 PM
No, no, no. You have been giving good information. I also looked up the whole Active Duty Service Commitment required for retrainees into 1N1, and it is in fact 36 months. I played dumb as as a rock when MPF asked me if the PCS was for retraining but I did point out 36-2110 to the A1C doing my paperwork (the part that says to only do extensions for the minimum amount of time necessary). On the other hand, from what you are saying above, the 12 month retainability does not apply to me as I am a career Airman (AFI quoted implies FTA).

hazard22083
07-02-2010, 10:55 PM
No, no, no. You have been giving good information. I also looked up the whole Active Duty Service Commitment required for retrainees into 1N1, and it is in fact 36 months. I played dumb as as a rock when MPF asked me if the PCS was for retraining but I did point out 36-2110 to the A1C doing my paperwork (the part that says to only do extensions for the minimum amount of time necessary). On the other hand, from what you are saying above, the 12 month retainability does not apply to me as I am a career Airman (AFI quoted implies FTA).

yea, unfortunately the way CAREERS airmen works is alot more confusing...but yes you do need 36 month retainability in order to accept the retraining quota. thats why i had to get it done in my first term

reggieray87
07-04-2010, 11:10 PM
My fundamentals course begins August 2. How difficult is the 1N1X1A course?

What assignments are people getting after Goodfellow and how soon are they finding out what they are?

Are there any mistakes you made in the PCS process that you would do differently? This is my first PCS (from Dyess). Thanks.

AndGuz
07-05-2010, 06:07 AM
My fundamentals course begins August 2. How difficult is the 1N1X1A course?

What assignments are people getting after Goodfellow and how soon are they finding out what they are?

Are there any mistakes you made in the PCS process that you would do differently? This is my first PCS (from Dyess). Thanks.

1. Difficulty - No clue on the course as I start tomorrow.
2. Assignments - From what I have read on the 96 pages of this thread people are finding out about follow-on like this:
--a. (Few) Before class-start when joint-spouse or they somehow worked it to get a follow on before class start.
--b (Most) Somewhere in between two months after class start and/or 6 weeks before graduation.
3. Mistakes - Maybe. I reported early (like a good Airman) and straight to the squadron. I had to choose between pulling casual duty (did not like it) or taking leave. I took leave.

As it turns out, the schoolhouse was not tracking me on their radar at all. I read in this same forum about this and chose to play it safe. No regrets other than I could have saved two weeks worth of leave.

m@yhem
07-08-2010, 05:42 PM
Does anyone know how house hunting goes when you get to Goodfellow? After I sign in will I be allowed time for house hunting? How is the TLF at Goodfellow?

dixon1705
07-14-2010, 10:22 PM
Hey all. First post! Just found out my class dates for my 1N111A. Pretty psyched! My fundamentals course starts 24 Jan 2011!! Was hoping to get a quick questions answered...probably easier to post it here than go through all 96 pages in this forum. I have now been told by two reputible sources that you may or may not be able to bring your family with you to training. Does anyone know? Any help is much appreciated.

-Joe

leaveit2josh
07-15-2010, 01:54 AM
Does anyone know how house hunting goes when you get to Goodfellow? After I sign in will I be allowed time for house hunting? How is the TLF at Goodfellow?

House hunting is easy. Just like any other assignment IF you sign in at the squadron. I say this because you can sign in with the Airman Family Readiness Center and not with the squadron, no problem at all. The squadron doesn't track incoming prior service, and they literally say "Oh, you're here? Now we've got you for casual duty." Which sucks. I showed up two weeks before my class date, checked in with both AFRC and the squadron and ended up burning leave so I didn't have to sit around watching pipeliners mop floors and take out garbage from 0700-1500.

Show up, in process at 0700 on either Monday or Wednesday, go to housing. End of story.

Feel free to ask if you have anymore questions.

leaveit2josh
07-15-2010, 01:56 AM
Hey all. First post! Just found out my class dates for my 1N111A. Pretty psyched! My fundamentals course starts 24 Jan 2011!! Was hoping to get a quick questions answered...probably easier to post it here than go through all 96 pages in this forum. I have now been told by two reputible sources that you may or may not be able to bring your family with you to training. Does anyone know? Any help is much appreciated.

-Joe

You can bring your family if you choose to do so. Mine is here with me...was just like any other PCS.

sgthm
07-15-2010, 05:28 AM
leaveit2josh- How is the class so far? Any advice? I start class in a month. I can't wait. Here's a few more questions for you: What is the normal day like (If you can say of course) for prior service? Do we still PT with the pipeliners? What time is our "duty day"? Is it ABU's/BDU's usually with blues Mondays? I'm a maintainer so I'm used to laid back NCO's and crappy airmen, is it about the same or are things better? Any info you can give would be great!

m@yhem
07-15-2010, 12:16 PM
Does anyone know anything about housing in San Angelo?? I'm looking been trying to find something for my family of three. No real luck and everything seems pretty run down. If anyone knows of any places, please let me know. Im headed there from my class in mid Sept.

Nukes-To-Intel
07-15-2010, 01:29 PM
@leaveit2josh--
Hey I'll be arriving in approximately a month, reporting almost 2 months early. And yeah, watching pipeliners is better than sitting in my current job, but what do you mean about signing in to AFRC and not the squadron? Also, curious about the PT stuff like sgthm above, do we do it with the young'uns, or on our own? And how's class so far?

dixon1705
07-15-2010, 05:06 PM
Is there a good way to find the bases that have postions for 1N111As? My wife and I are trying to figure out what bases we want to put down on my BOP....

I know of Offutt, Beale, and..that's about it.

Where is everyone else headed?

Thanks!

24 Jan Can't Come Soon Enough...thank GOD football season is coming to help ease the wait!!

Nukes-To-Intel
07-15-2010, 07:29 PM
@dixon--

The AMS enlisted authorized listing is at least relatively accurate....

dixon1705
07-15-2010, 08:58 PM
Thanks for the info! Looks like I will be putting Beale at the top of my list.
Next question that I have...with the SRB for 1N111A....does anyone know if your a first term airman....does the bonus (well half the bonus) get paid out at you FIRST reenlistment or the next? My current career field is a joke and of course has no bonus so I am new to all of this. Thanks guys!

-Joe

leaveit2josh
07-15-2010, 09:17 PM
leaveit2josh- How is the class so far? Any advice? I start class in a month. I can't wait. Here's a few more questions for you: What is the normal day like (If you can say of course) for prior service? Do we still PT with the pipeliners? What time is our "duty day"? Is it ABU's/BDU's usually with blues Mondays? I'm a maintainer so I'm used to laid back NCO's and crappy airmen, is it about the same or are things better? Any info you can give would be great!

The day starts at 0730, lunch from 1100-1200, duty day ends at 1530...We used to get 2 hours for lunch, but the hammer got dropped close to two months ago when inspectors were here and some pipe-liners were running their mouths about how long they got for lunch, so we lost the privilege. As for PT, you have to sign in on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Friday is the only day we meet as a squadron on the football field at 0540. It's prior service/officer students/cadre. Some of the workouts are a joke, and some days it is pretty intense. Just depends on who is leading that day.

It's not as laid back as you would hope and there have been numerous instances where myself and other prior's have had to put foot to ass, but for the most part everything is "in order".

leaveit2josh
07-15-2010, 09:25 PM
Signing in at the AFRC just gets your pay in order, your family enrolled in DEERS, you get your MEO brief, etc. The school house doesn't track incoming priors. So, what that means, is you get free leave until class starts, if you choose to play that card. I signed in at the school house (like an idiot/good NCO should) and was stuck supervising pipe-liners until I got sick of it and took leave. A friend of mine chose not to sign in with the squadron and skated for three weeks, not checking in until the day before class started. Numerous others handled themselves that way as well.

This course will challenge you. I consider myself a great student (graduated college, Levitow award in ALS, etc.) and I found myself scratching my head at times saying "WTF????" Be prepared to take good notes and spend time after hours, in the schoolhouse with your head in your packet. The Order of Battle blocks I thought were pretty fun (actual imagery work), but you really have to be on top of your game.

sgthm
07-15-2010, 09:31 PM
@dixon--

The AMS enlisted authorized listing is at least relatively accurate....

I would disagree. When I spoke to the 1N1X1 functional at AFPC 2 weeks ago, she stated that the AMS Enlisted Authorized list is NOT at all correct, I asked about this list specifically because my husband and I are both active duty and were trying to use this list to come up with bases we both could go to in order to fill out my BOP.

Dixon- No overseas are available right now. Expect Beale, Davis Monthan, and Langley since they have openings when she looked 2 weeks ago. If you're curious about Hurlburt, she stated she actually needs ppl to move AWAY from there. I got Beale. The SRB questions are answered a few pages back on this thread. Scroll back for the whole she-bang.

Anybody know about the specifics on extensions? Well, I guess this is actually a SRB question. I extended 13 months originally because my MPF said that is all I needed in order to take the retraining. I am being told today I need another extension of 5 months to bring me up to 18 months which is what I actually need.I am reading I need 23 months. I don't know anymore. I just want to make sure I do not get screwed out of the SRB. Any info recent graduates???

Momike
07-16-2010, 12:12 AM
Signing in at the AFRC just gets your pay in order, your family enrolled in DEERS, you get your MEO brief, etc. The school house doesn't track incoming priors. So, what that means, is you get free leave until class starts, if you choose to play that card. I signed in at the school house (like an idiot/good NCO should) and was stuck supervising pipe-liners until I got sick of it and took leave. A friend of mine chose not to sign in with the squadron and skated for three weeks, not checking in until the day before class started. Numerous others handled themselves that way as well.

This course will challenge you. I consider myself a great student (graduated college, Levitow award in ALS, etc.) and I found myself scratching my head at times saying "WTF????" Be prepared to take good notes and spend time after hours, in the schoolhouse with your head in your packet. The Order of Battle blocks I thought were pretty fun (actual imagery work), but you really have to be on top of your game.

Hey leaveit2josh, I had a quick question. I consider myself a good student as well but now you have me worried. I've heard that the wash out rate is high, is that correct? What happens if you are really applying yourself but you fail a test? do you get reclassed on that spot or if they see that you are trying you get a break? I'm supply and when I was in tech school people got plenty of opportunities, but then again supply is easy. Thanks

rabble
07-16-2010, 01:46 AM
Concerning the PT schedule, the pipe line students do their own thing. You initial off on a sheet of paper saying you did your own thing for Monday and Wednesday, then AETC starts your Summer Friday mornings off with 0545 PT with the other students and cadre members. Also concerning PT all priors will have to accomplish a test before they PCS to their assignment, or that is what was briefed to us.

leaveit2josh
07-16-2010, 02:33 AM
Hey leaveit2josh, I had a quick question. I consider myself a good student as well but now you have me worried. I've heard that the wash out rate is high, is that correct? What happens if you are really applying yourself but you fail a test? do you get reclassed on that spot or if they see that you are trying you get a break? I'm supply and when I was in tech school people got plenty of opportunities, but then again supply is easy. Thanks

Don't worry. Just take my advice and you'll do well. You need to make sure and take notes and ask questions/participate, that way if you get counseled for failing a test, you have proof positive that you've done your part to pass. Basically, just do what you know you're supposed to be doing. I graduate in two weeks and we've lost just two...both pipe-liners. They had to wait around a month or so to get back into a class, but they're doing well now from what I hear.

If you do fail a test, and it's close (1 or 2 questions), then you have the chance to either self identify yourself as a wash back or re-test. If you bomb a test, you'll be waiting around on casual status for a class seat. At least that is the precedence that has been set thus far.

reggieray87
07-16-2010, 03:00 AM
Hey

Thanks to everyone who provided info.

This is an in-processing question.

I final-outted Dyess on July 7. I will move to San Angelo on July 27. Class starts August 2.

Would July 28 (Wednesday) be the last day I could in-process at the AFRC?

What day should I go to the 315th building to in-process?

According to Dyess's Outbound office, I'm on leave from the time I final-outted at Dyess to the time I in-process at Goodfellow. How do I make sure I get charged the correct number of days?

adgc
07-16-2010, 05:06 PM
Also outprocessing Dyess, almost done. We'll be there August 15th. I plan on processing the AFRC but if I process the squadron, as a TSgt casual, what will my duties be? I've done TCN duty many times before, but I don't feel too keen on "TCNing" pipe-liners. Hey REGGIERAY... what squadron at Dyess were you in? 7 AMXS here.

dixon1705
07-16-2010, 07:31 PM
Got my training rip today.

Next to Security Clearance required it says: Secret...obviously a mistake. MPF says it's AFPC's issue to fix...AFPC says that the MPF fixes it. This is just so pleasant! Has anyone else had this issue?

sgthm
07-16-2010, 07:36 PM
Got my second extension submitted today and about 30 minutes later my orders were loaded into vMPF. Yay! Finally...Only 21 days before my final out...

reggieray87
07-16-2010, 09:16 PM
Got my training rip today.

Next to Security Clearance required it says: Secret...obviously a mistake. MPF says it's AFPC's issue to fix...AFPC says that the MPF fixes it. This is just so pleasant! Has anyone else had this issue?

Go to your security manager and tell them to look in the back of AFI 31-501, on the list of required SSBIs. 1N111 is on the list. Get them to start your SSBI ASAP. If they are an idiot, and there is a good chance that they are, find out who the base personnel security manager is and get them to help you start the investigation. As long as you have documentation showing that you have been selected to train in 1N111, they have to request that investigation on you. Keep going until you find someone in the Personnel Security field who knows what to do.

dixon1705
07-16-2010, 11:37 PM
Luckily the security manager in my office has been doing this for a while so she knew exactly what she needed to do...looks like I'll be starting my TS request sometime next week.

I was talking with the folks at the MPF. My class graduation date is June 14 2011. My reenlistment date is 12 June 2011. He told me I should extend my enlistment a few months (lets say three). Then...when I get to my new duty station...reenlist to get the SRB. Does that sound correct? Do you have to reenlist within 30 days of class completion??

This forum has been more helpful than hours with the folks at Career Development....

leaveit2josh
07-17-2010, 02:31 AM
Luckily the security manager in my office has been doing this for a while so she knew exactly what she needed to do...looks like I'll be starting my TS request sometime next week.

I was talking with the folks at the MPF. My class graduation date is June 14 2011. My reenlistment date is 12 June 2011. He told me I should extend my enlistment a few months (lets say three). Then...when I get to my new duty station...reenlist to get the SRB. Does that sound correct? Do you have to reenlist within 30 days of class completion??

This forum has been more helpful than hours with the folks at Career Development....

You can re-enlist the day you graduate. I already have my appointment lined up. Here's how it works: You have to start the process ten days before you graduate with about an hour long appointment. This gets your normal paperwork started, your exception to policy that is routed in the MPF office up to the NCOIC since you're doing it here, and watch some video. I will have 18 months left on my extension the morning of my graduation...not a problem. The only catch is that I can only re-enlist for four years (SRB calculation) + 18 months of extension which isn't calculated into the SRB. This is because you can't enlist for over 6 years. So...I'll be getting around 72k, which isn't bad for four years and work experience towards a cush job with the NGA/DIA/CIA.

leaveit2josh
07-17-2010, 02:34 AM
Hey

Thanks to everyone who provided info.

This is an in-processing question.

I final-outted Dyess on July 7. I will move to San Angelo on July 27. Class starts August 2.

Would July 28 (Wednesday) be the last day I could in-process at the AFRC?

What day should I go to the 315th building to in-process?

According to Dyess's Outbound office, I'm on leave from the time I final-outted at Dyess to the time I in-process at Goodfellow. How do I make sure I get charged the correct number of days?

Your leave will be handled by AFRC the morning that you in process. In processing is done at 0730 Monday and Wednesday...in-process with the squadron the day before your class starts. And by "in-process" I mean: "Hi, I'm Sergeant So and So and I'm here." They'll say: Okay, be here tomorrow in the UOD at X time. That's it.

Nukes-To-Intel
07-17-2010, 10:46 PM
@josh

Cool cool, I'm really looking forward to it. Now if I just in-proccess at afrc, can they run leave for me? Cuz I'll need to take 5 days in September, but I'm arriving in August. In other words, does the squadron need to handle my leave, or the MPF?

leaveit2josh
07-18-2010, 12:10 AM
@josh

Cool cool, I'm really looking forward to it. Now if I just in-proccess at afrc, can they run leave for me? Cuz I'll need to take 5 days in September, but I'm arriving in August. In other words, does the squadron need to handle my leave, or the MPF?

Since you're arriving so early, you're gonna have to in process with the squadron at some point, since you want to take leave. It's handled just like it would be anywhere else, except that you will do a paper copy instead of leaveweb. Your supervisor that signs off on it is either going to be a fresh face Lieutenant in the casual office or the MSgt upstairs in the Flight Chief office.

Nukes-To-Intel
07-19-2010, 01:07 PM
Well that's not too bad. I'll probably still give it a week or so before I in-process the squadron, but whatever. Thanks man.

3beagles
07-19-2010, 11:38 PM
Does anyone have the functionals info they can PM me?

AndGuz
07-20-2010, 03:47 AM
I need your help!

Please help me and others remember OPSEC.... remember the real reasons why we must think twice before posting specifics.
I know we do not have a formal sponsorship program for our circumstances but let's be a little more careful (self included) on what we post...
...dates/times/locations/rank... really?

I am working on a .mil solution through the Portal so that we can discuss there. More to come.

Briar2002
07-21-2010, 04:08 AM
Imagery Analysis is the study of still photos and being able to identify the blurry objects you see, in a nutshell. It's a great job, but as they are constantly "borrowing" IA people, don't be surprised if you get grabbed to work UAVs anyways. Both jobs are interesting if you keep it interesting.

Briar2002
07-21-2010, 04:09 AM
I would be more aware of when you'll find out if you stay Imagery Analysis or if they tag you for UAV operator... it was 2wks before my graduation date... most of us didn't know til about 1-2 months out from graduation....

Briar2002
07-21-2010, 04:12 AM
You may get grabbed whether you like it or not to do Sensor Operator, just fyi. You may not know until 1-2 months out from graduation or like me, 2 wks from graduation. Creech is out in the middle of nowhere, but you have Vegas an hour drive away. Besides you wouldn't live in Indian Springs (where Creech is), you would live either in the dorms (if you are an airman and unmarried) or you'd have to find an apartment. Bus shuttles drive you out to Creech daily or you can drive. For tech school, however, same rules apply.... if you are an airman and unmarried (first termer) you go to the dorms. If you are NCO or higher or are married, you have to find an apartment off base, luckily there are tons of apartments only 5 minutes from base.

Briar2002
07-21-2010, 04:18 AM
I start school on April 1 and was wondering if you can get the SRB after tech school? Everyone at my work says yes and know people who have and pretty sure myself that you can, but i just wanted other opions to verify.

You can only apply for the 1N bonus (SRB) after you have graduated. Reason being is because until you graduate you are not a 1N and should you happen to fail and get kicked out (I believe they have a 2x failure before you get booted and retrained into something else or your old AFSC) then you would have to pay that money back, so they wait until after you complete. If your re-enlist time comes up before you graduate (roughly 6 months class) then you may want to consider an extension for purposes of crosstraining (NOT for purposes only for financial gain). Keep in mind though that minimum is like 24 months (ie 2 years) for extensions. So if you have, say 5 months left, you don't have enough to get the SRB and have to apply for an extension. You will have to get another 24 months to your current 5 months, making 29 months before you can re-enlist and get the SRB.

So depending on which category you fall in now, think of what category you will fall in in 29 months. Category being which SRB cat are you in.

There is a 90k cap, so if you want to re-enlist for 6 yrs, but it adds up to more than 90k, you get 90k after taxes. If you calculate what 5 yrs is, it may only be $100 (after 90k cap) than you would have gotten for 6 yrs. So then you need to ask yourself is another year worth $100?

dixon1705
07-21-2010, 06:21 PM
You can only apply for the 1N bonus (SRB) after you have graduated. Reason being is because until you graduate you are not a 1N and should you happen to fail and get kicked out (I believe they have a 2x failure before you get booted and retrained into something else or your old AFSC) then you would have to pay that money back, so they wait until after you complete. If your re-enlist time comes up before you graduate (roughly 6 months class) then you may want to consider an extension for purposes of crosstraining (NOT for purposes only for financial gain). Keep in mind though that minimum is like 24 months (ie 2 years) for extensions. So if you have, say 5 months left, you don't have enough to get the SRB and have to apply for an extension. You will have to get another 24 months to your current 5 months, making 29 months before you can re-enlist and get the SRB.

So depending on which category you fall in now, think of what category you will fall in in 29 months. Category being which SRB cat are you in.

There is a 90k cap, so if you want to re-enlist for 6 yrs, but it adds up to more than 90k, you get 90k after taxes. If you calculate what 5 yrs is, it may only be $100 (after 90k cap) than you would have gotten for 6 yrs. So then you need to ask yourself is another year worth $100?

I think your info is off just a bit...

For the extension (which I just got approved..) works like this. I will use my situation for the example. I graduate from tech school on 14 June...but I need to reenlist by 11 June. So instead of enlisting early and missing out on the SRB I am getting an extension for 23 months.

I will then reenlist a few days after my graduation date (after I make sure that my AFSC has been changed to 1N131A). I will get the SRB when I reenlist for 4 years. The remaining time for my extension will be added on to the end of my enlistemnt...so it works out to be a 6 year reenlistment. Not bad considering I need to do 10 years anyways..so I could transfer my GI BILL to my daughter.

Hope this helps. This is all the info that I got out of my Career folks at the MPF.

Briar2002
07-21-2010, 08:10 PM
I think your info is off just a bit...

For the extension (which I just got approved..) works like this. I will use my situation for the example. I graduate from tech school on 14 June...but I need to reenlist by 11 June. So instead of enlisting early and missing out on the SRB I am getting an extension for 23 months.

I will then reenlist a few days after my graduation date (after I make sure that my AFSC has been changed to 1N131A). I will get the SRB when I reenlist for 4 years. The remaining time for my extension will be added on to the end of my enlistemnt...so it works out to be a 6 year reenlistment. Not bad considering I need to do 10 years anyways..so I could transfer my GI BILL to my daughter.

Hope this helps. This is all the info that I got out of my Career folks at the MPF.

Correct on the SRB after you graduate. You have to hold the 1N title before you are eligible for the cooresponding SRB (meaning after graduation). You can only re-enlist from your extension as early as 3 months before it expires though. You are not able to re-enlist earlier. I've gone through 3 different bases and regs for this information, so you may want your MPF personnel to clarify when the earliest is you can re-enlist. There are extenuating circumstances you can re-enlist early if you are going to be deployed. Not saying you are wrong, but I'd get more verification from your MPF because they told me I could re-enlist early, but then gave me the run around and said no, only 3 months before the end of the extension early....

dixon1705
07-21-2010, 08:28 PM
Correct on the SRB after you graduate. You have to hold the 1N title before you are eligible for the cooresponding SRB (meaning after graduation). You can only re-enlist from your extension as early as 3 months before it expires though. You are not able to re-enlist earlier. I've gone through 3 different bases and regs for this information, so you may want your MPF personnel to clarify when the earliest is you can re-enlist. There are extenuating circumstances you can re-enlist early if you are going to be deployed. Not saying you are wrong, but I'd get more verification from your MPF because they told me I could re-enlist early, but then gave me the run around and said no, only 3 months before the end of the extension early....

Good Info!

I was looking at my Extension Approval form and on the back it states, "I understand that once I enter this extension I cannot cancel it, but I may eligible to request separation or IMMEDIATE REENLISTMENT." Now I know what you are saying...it is pretty much a case by case basis...I can apply to immediately reenlist...but there is no garauntee taht can be approved...hopefully it will be.

leaveit2josh
07-21-2010, 10:16 PM

Not true. Commander signed off on my re-enlistment paperwork today and I have an appointment to re-enlist next friday at MPF about an hour after I graduate. I have 18 months left on my 23 month extension and have a service commitment of 4 years, 18 months...for clarifications sake, my contract says "1N131A" and lists a "7.0" for the multiplier. Just wait till you get here and talk with the personnel at MPF. They'll set you (and everyone else) straight.

dixon1705
07-21-2010, 10:29 PM
Not true. Commander signed off on my re-enlistment paperwork today and I have an appointment to re-enlist next friday at MPF about an hour after I graduate. I have 18 months left on my 23 month extension and have a service commitment of 4 years, 18 months...for clarifications sake, my contract says "1N131A" and lists a "7.0" for the multiplier. Just wait till you get here and talk with the personnel at MPF. They'll set you (and everyone else) straight.

Thanks! I am going to sleep a little better tonight!

JPatt
07-23-2010, 11:52 AM
I have read way back through the threads to try and figure out if I should reenlist or if I can extend to accept the retrain, but there are so many conflicting views. Does anybody know concretely if I can extend at all with the following criteria:

-FTA with DOS of 26 Sept 2010, Class start for 1N1 is 28 Sept.
-MPF told my the 1N1 CDA says I have to reenlist because I need 36 months retainability, but other's often post that it can be waived and I can extend.

So could somebody please help me if you know for sure what I can or can't do? I just do not want to short myself if I can extend before reenlisting. Thanks.

HeresJonesy
07-23-2010, 05:23 PM
I don't know off-hand, however, there is somewhere in an AFI that states CDA requirements are waived if you're a FTA. Look for a chart, something along the lines of "If you're a FTA" then you look at the next box - something like that. I can do some digging later. MPF here told me I had to reenlist, but after showing them that, they made a phone call to MAJCOM level, and confirmed I was right. Think the chart you need to reference is in the Retraining AFI.

Briar2002
07-23-2010, 05:45 PM
I have read way back through the threads to try and figure out if I should reenlist or if I can extend to accept the retrain, but there are so many conflicting views. Does anybody know concretely if I can extend at all with the following criteria:

-FTA with DOS of 26 Sept 2010, Class start for 1N1 is 28 Sept.
-MPF told my the 1N1 CDA says I have to reenlist because I need 36 months retainability, but other's often post that it can be waived and I can extend.

So could somebody please help me if you know for sure what I can or can't do? I just do not want to short myself if I can extend before reenlisting. Thanks.

Since I'm sure this will bring up a ton of questions, my best advice is to do your homework and then if something conflicts with what you've been told, find out, take what you have to them and make them explain how they got their version of it out of what you read... here is the section in the AFI 36-2606 that explains extensions. It is a lengthy read, but if you want to know your rights to extension, then you might want to consider sitting down, grabbing a donut and reading it.

http://www.af.mil/shared/media/epubs/AFI36-2606.pdf

AndGuz
07-23-2010, 11:36 PM
Since I'm sure this will bring up a ton of questions, my best advice is to do your homework and then if something conflicts with what you've been told, find out, take what you have to them and make them explain how they got their version of it out of what you read... here is the section in the AFI 36-2606 that explains extensions. It is a lengthy read, but if you want to know your rights to extension, then you might want to consider sitting down, grabbing a donut and reading it.

http://www.af.mil/shared/media/epubs/AFI36-2606.pdf

My suggestion is to go back to MPF with the PCS RIP not the retraining RIPs. Don't mention retraining. You will need retainability to satisfy the PCS requirement (not the CDA hoop-lah unless you decide to mention it).

JPatt
07-26-2010, 05:15 PM
Thanks for the input. I'll see what I can do, but it's not looking hopeful to extend. My RIP for PCS has retrain written all over it so it may be a tough sell. By the way my class start date is 28 Sept., is anybody in that class?

Momike
07-27-2010, 03:23 AM
Thanks for the input. I'll see what I can do, but it's not looking hopeful to extend. My RIP for PCS has retrain written all over it so it may be a tough sell. By the way my class start date is 28 Sept., is anybody in that class?

I'm in the same class as you. An extension will do the trick, I'm a FTA as well an had an original DOS of 2 Oct so I extended. Look at the AFI's you only need 14 months after class graduation. PM me if you need help

JPatt
07-27-2010, 02:14 PM
As far as all info mentioned above about extensions, the only way it looks as though anyone can extend to meet retainability as a FTA is in AFI 36-2626, Table 3.3. Retainability Requirement For Voluntary And Selective Retraining. You have to be applying under CAREERs, and this is what the table says and also removes the CDA. Not applying under CAREERs puts you under the CDA, which is 36 months.

applying for
re-training under
CAREERS
extend enlistment 23 months (combined total of all
extensions) beyond normal Expiration Term of
Service (ETS) and have at least 14 months remaining
service beyond class graduation. Any CDA
beyond 14 months is waived (all notes apply).

sgthm
08-02-2010, 06:33 PM
Question for someone in tech school currently: Do we wear blues on a daily/weekly basis? I'm pretty sure we would wear them for graduation but what about other times? I get on the road this Saturday, destination-San Angelo. Finally!!!

reggieray87
08-02-2010, 10:31 PM
dawg...the chief of staff created a policy of blues on mondays...come on now...

sgthm
08-03-2010, 01:01 AM
dawg...the chief of staff created a policy of blues on mondays...come on now...

I know that. However I see ppl every Monday in desk jobs that wear ABU's. I also know of newbies straight out of tech school that didn't wear their blues even to graduation. Hence, my question. Are you in tech training currently? If so, I guess it's safe to assume the answer is on Mondays? I love how so many ppl's posts on here are sarcastic or egotistical.

leviticus
08-03-2010, 01:01 PM
Just got my class date a few weeks ago.. I'm looking at Jan 5th.. Any ideas on how to handle the transition over the holidays? I know every MPF/Base/Housing is different.. My paperwork said my RNLTD was Jan 25th.. I know I have up to 60 days before to show up without needing a change of that date (so, I'm good there)..

Anyone else looking at a Jan 5th class date? or getting to San Angelo around the holidays??

leaveit2josh
08-03-2010, 05:40 PM
I know that. However I see ppl every Monday in desk jobs that wear ABU's. I also know of newbies straight out of tech school that didn't wear their blues even to graduation. Hence, my question. Are you in tech training currently? If so, I guess it's safe to assume the answer is on Mondays? I love how so many ppl's posts on here are sarcastic or egotistical.

Blues Monday applies to everyone here at school. That's it.