PDA

View Full Version : Retraining

Gunner7
06-04-2008, 04:16 PM
I am looking for feedback on the Air Force Retraining Program. It has been about two years since we transitioned from the Retraining section at the MPF to the current application process in the vMPF. Whether the experience was your own or of a co-worker in either the CAREERS program or the NCORP, I would like to hear what you think.

BigBaze
06-05-2008, 09:27 PM
I had a pretty easy time retraining from my 2A job in jet engine maintenance into 1A1X1 Flight Engineer..(CAREERS) I would have rather had the old way with doing it through my MPF but it was relatively painless going through virtual MPF, I just had to call a lot to make sure they updated the documents I had to fax into them and most of the time the phone reps were helpful and answered my questions. Occasionally I got blank answers but overall it worked out and I am about to graduate next week. I guess doing it online has its pluses and minuses but you can reach a rep 24/7 so that is a big plus.

imported_Lukas
01-08-2009, 03:12 AM
My retraining status changed from a 3 to a 5; how long does it take to get a class seat. I know it says up to 6 weeks. Any thoughts? Thanks

Gunner7
01-08-2009, 12:06 PM
You can expect to see a class seat within three weeks. If not, call the contact center and ask for an update.
DSN 665-5000.

BRUWIN
01-08-2009, 11:22 PM
I'm an Intel troop today because a TSgt at MPF sat on my three unrelated choices and let the qoutas fill up when I was retraining. He was fired over the incident and placed in.....now get this....MPF customer service.

That said.,,,anything that eliminates the middle man has to be a good thing. Don't get me wrong..things worked out for me in Intel..but it wasn't a choice of mine and I was a very bitter retrainee originally. Applying directly to the folks that actually make these things happen is the way to go.

KOTULCN
01-10-2009, 12:31 PM
I had a horrible retraining experience. When the new EPR format dropped my (then)CC said he was only going to approve X amount of 5's. Needlessly I recieved a 4, which is still supposedly a good rating. Well I came to find out that your top EPR is the FIRST thing in the rack-n-stack, so I got dropped to the bottom of the list every board. I got beat out by guys with two or more 3 EPR's but had a top 5 where as i had all 5's and top EPR was a 4!

AFGirl_guest
01-11-2009, 10:16 AM
I think the process has much to be improved. I was mandatory selected under NCORP, I have only 5 years until I retire, and I am very, very good at my job. So why select me, when there are so many people unhappy in my current AFSC who are not good at this who would have liked to go? The process is painless, as long as you beat the rush to cross-train once you are notified, but the jobs they are offer up are not the best jobs, have a high deployment tempo, or you are not even qualified for (such as STS).

Gunner7
01-12-2009, 02:19 PM
I think the process has much to be improved. I was mandatory selected under NCORP, I have only 5 years until I retire, and I am very, very good at my job. So why select me, when there are so many people unhappy in my current AFSC who are not good at this who would have liked to go? The process is painless, as long as you beat the rush to cross-train once you are notified, but the jobs they are offer up are not the best jobs, have a high deployment tempo, or you are not even qualified for (such as STS).

I don't see a change in the type of jobs that the AF will offer to retrain into. The truth is they will only look to put you in a position that is a need of the AF. Otherwise you could be looking at retraining again in a few short years.

imported_buckeyefan221
01-12-2009, 10:06 PM
I'm currently a 2A6X6 F-15 electrician who is leaving to be crosstrained into 1N1 imagery analysis in March. Just wondering if anyone has done this and been to goodfellow so that they could give me some advice. Thanks.

imported_tmckinley
01-12-2009, 10:14 PM
I'm currently a 2A6X6 F-15 electrician who is leaving to be crosstrained into 1N1 imagery analysis in March. Just wondering if anyone has done this and been to goodfellow so that they could give me some advice. Thanks.

Ive been to Goodfellow before, I had family lived in the San Angelo Area...The only thing I can tell you is if you got out on the town be careful, the local PD look for military.

BRUWIN
01-13-2009, 01:00 AM
but the jobs they are offer up are not the best jobs, have a high deployment tempo, or you are not even qualified for (such as STS).

Alot of them are good jobs...they pay well on the outside. Hence the reason we are critcally short in my career field. All my experienced troops bail for greener pastures for such civilian companies as BAE, SAIC, Lockheed...just to name a few. Then there are the numerous government positions with CIA, FBI, Homeland Security, and NGA. Sometimes it's like beating your head against a brick wall...once you get them trained and experienced they find other opportunities.

BigBaze
01-13-2009, 01:05 AM
My retraining status changed from a 3 to a 5; how long does it take to get a class seat. I know it says up to 6 weeks. Any thoughts? Thanks

I got my status 6 like 4 days later

imported_buckeyefan221
01-13-2009, 04:00 AM
I had my status 6 a week after I submitted my application. But that might have been because I was number 10 on a vulnerability listing.

Robert F. Dorr
07-05-2012, 09:24 PM
Alot of them are good jobs...they pay well on the outside. Hence the reason we are critcally short in my career field. All my experienced troops bail for greener pastures for such civilian companies as BAE, SAIC, Lockheed...just to name a few. Then there are the numerous government positions with CIA, FBI, Homeland Security, and NGA. Sometimes it's like beating your head against a brick wall...once you get them trained and experienced they find other opportunities.

In the years since this thread began, has anything changed? Guessing there are fewer contractor and government-agency jobs today for some of the stuff they do at Goodfellow. When people complain about the retention problem, they're often argiung nowadays that too many people are seeking to be retained.

ske4za
07-05-2012, 10:04 PM
I had an issue with almost every step of the way with my current retraining (CAREERS FTA).

1. After getting approved for being eligible of the four jobs I picked this past June, I went to Public Health to get my 422s. One job needed an SMOD but their system said I didn't need one. I printed out the email from AFPC and was talking with one technician who had gotten married changed her last name during the few days I talked to her. I went in with a printed out email saying that this technician said this-and-that, turns out it was her; I felt like a dumbass, lol. Side note: I had battlefield airman paperwork in my AFPC thread - thought I had to do a PAST but it was just a mistake on their part.

2. So I guess I was supposed to fill out some questionnaire and do certain things before my flight physical. I didn't know, PH didn't tell me. So I showed up to my flight physical with contacts in. The TSgt realized it half way through and told me I was supposed to wear glasses for weeks prior. She almost sent me home, but I went home and got my glasses on my lunch break.

3. I was told the flight physical would take 45-60 days to come back. I was deploying at the end of Sept, so I was trying to see if there was any way I could expedite the process. The TSgt in charge of doing my evaluation was deploying in early September to another place, and told me there was nothing I could do but call and follow up. As luck would have it, I got the paperwork back four days before I was scheduled to deploy. Mind you, I was TDY for 3 weeks getting my 7-level about two weeks before I was scheduled to deploy. Sent it up right before I left - the CC emailed my flight chief asking about me before I left (I got cc'd on the email), fortunately they had good things to say.

4. I deployed to a "soft" base with limited comm, so I didn't get a chance to check my email for a lil bit. Well one day I was just checking my webmail from back home, saw I got an email from a CFM asking about my computer qualifications. Fortunately I saw it amidst the bake sale and PT emails. I emailed him back and told him if he had any questions to email my deployed email that I CC'd him on. I guess he liked what he saw because I was approved for the job. I went to status 5 to status 6 just two weeks later (early-mid Oct now).

5. I was scheduled for a class date in April, however my deployment orders were until April. I talked to my flight supervision and they said I would have a better chance of pushing the class date back than trying to leave early. I called AFPC and told them it was cutting it close, so they said no problem we can push back the class. It's a 4 month course so I'm thinking July-Aug timeframe. Nope, scheduled for May.

5. Security clearance: I emailed by training rip to my security manager so I can get started on getting a TS early november. (I had just renewed an S two months before). The USM told me he needed another RIP that said that I had accepted the class. I called AFPC and they said, no this is all they need, the class rip. USM wasn't having it. By this time my new flight chief came in, and it was my flight chief from my first deployment in Afghanistan. We were bullshitting one morning catching up, and he asked about how my retraining was going. I told him about this issue (by this time it's late Nov/early Dec), and he said he had an issue like that with someone else. My flight chief at home was at Bagram, and they knew each other, so he said he will look into it. Next day I'm CC'd on 5 or 6 emails going from the chiefs to the squadron chief at home, talking about "you WILL do this for SSgt ske4za." Started my investigation next day. Where I was at, I couldn't do fingerprints so I had to travel to an established base to do the paper version and mail it to the USM.

6. The instructor supervisor emailed me a welcome package, including a course outline and some CBTs to do so you can get a jump start in class. Well I saw there were pre-req classes, but I wasn't scheduled for them.

---6a. The instructor didn't email me back twice when I asked about them, and no one picked up the phone their either on the DSN to his signature block. There was an opportunity to send a few of us home so they sent me back late Jan, along with a few others who had pregnant wives or other issues they had to be home for.

---6b. It's March and I still can't get through to anybody at the school house, so I call AFPC and they told me they would have to drop me from the May class and reschedule me. Said it should have only taken a few days.

---6c. I called AFPC so many times I knew all of the civilian's names that picked up the phone. I called at least twice a week, and it took me a month to get through to the actual retraining office with the military members. One airman told me that the SSgt handling my case had post-its all over his monitor with my name on it. I had no class date at this time (back in status 5), and this is when supervision and my bosses wanted to know when I was leaving. I didn't have a date but I told him believe me, as soon as I know you will know.

---6d. The end of April, friday on swings, I got an email that I got scheduled to be there in June. Now because there were multiple classes involved, it went from TDY to PCS status. They had scheduled my depature date 2 weeks out, in early May. There was no way I could PCS that quick. My class started early June, and my RNTLD was the Friday before. I changed my depature date to June 1st. TMO wanted 3 weeks out to schedule pick ups, I told them I didn't have that luxury. I scheduled it 2 weeks out, the movers called me next tuesday, asked me if he could do it the next day instead of next week. I was on swings, came home at 11, TMO all day next day, and then had to go back at work at 7:30pm because the other SSgt on shift had gotten scheduled for mission refresher the same day and we had no NCOs. He worked 3-7:30, I worked the tail end.

7. I still had not talked to anybody in the school house. I had no idea where I was going, who to report to, nothing. I finally called their 1st sgt, and then he gave me a better number to reach my instructor. So I finally talked to him about where to go, inprocessing, etc. I sent him a copy of my orders, and he said you are PCSing to the wrong training squadron. I talked to the career adviser, my assignment manager, outbound, AFPC, formal training... none of them said they could change it. I said fuck it, they can figure it out when I get there.

8. Because my EPR closed out in Dec, another EPR was due. The days of supervision were adjusted to my old dates before I changed my departure, so it closed out on May 4th, even though I didn't leave until June 1st. My supervisor was still deployed and was on his way back in May, and the new TSgt in my shop wanted to mark me down. I ended up with a non-firewall 5. I hated that place, I was done arguing and just took that. I signed it the thursday before I left, which had high visibility because the close out date was 3 weeks before.

9. The week before I was to PCS, we had an exercise, and the shop was real thin due to two big deployments still out, so my MSgt told me I had to help him through the exercise. I told him I'd help, but don't expect me to see me afterwords. There was a guy who got back from Afghanistan a few weeks before, and he was leaving to 1N1 school a few weeks after me, and he was already on the outbound list. I was still up on the manning like I was going to work until my last day. Got me fucked up. I didn't want a going away lunch or anything. I didn't even get a handshake or anything, no plaque... definitely not expecting a PCS medal. I had failed a PT test two years ago right before a 3 week TDY so I knew that would come up (even though I tested 35 days later, two days after I got back, and passed).

Sorry for the long post :shocked that's just a glimpse on my retraining process. lol

Capt Alfredo
07-06-2012, 12:40 AM
Poor Bob. The number of abbreviations and/or acronyms in this post will render it unreadable, unintelligible, and downright devoid of meaning for the layman. I will admit there are two usages (SMOD and PAST) in this post I did not fully understand, and I've been in the Air Force for 21+ years, so I guess we'll chalk this one up on Bob's side of the ledger, but at the end of the day, I did understand the post.

EDIT: I'm guessing SMOD refers to a "Space and Missile Operations Duty"-related physical clearance and I'm also guessing that PAST means "Physical Ability and Stamina Test," because, you know, combining context with Mr. Google brings synergistic effects to my brain! Do I win? :evil

ske4za
07-06-2012, 12:44 AM
Poor Bob. The number of abbreviations and/or acronyms in this post will render it unreadable, unintelligible, and downright devoid of meaning for the layman. I will admit there are two usages (SMOD and PAST) in this post I did not fully understand, and I've been in the Air Force for 21+ years, so I guess we'll chalk this one up on Bob's side of the ledger, but at the end of the day, I did understand the post.

Sorry, when I get on my rant I sometimes forget the audience.

SMOD: Space and Missile Occupational Duty [standard] - virtually a flight physical
PAST: Physical Ability and Stamina Test - test you have to take prior to becoming a PJ (Pararescue Jumper), CCT (Combat Controller), etc. I think it includes a ruck march, pull ups, swim test.

JD2780
07-06-2012, 12:52 AM
Personally I hated it. I only hated it because I was being medically crosstrained and the listing only had 4 jobs I could cross train into being a SSgt that couldnt pass a class III or GBC physical. So I elected to get out.

Band
Manpower
Contracting
Plumber

I thought about plumbing but its not what I wanted to do. I did a plumbing apprentice ship while in HS, it was easy, my dad was a plumber/firefighter.

FuelShopTech
07-06-2012, 01:56 PM
In the past three years, I've attempted to retrain 3 times.

I was denied all three times.

Fuck the "retraining program."

imported_Sgt HULK
07-06-2012, 01:59 PM
tried once and got what i wanted easy stuff

4 yr old thread for the win

imported_biddy1030
07-06-2012, 04:26 PM

Same here, it took me 5 times to get retraining. I just kept applying assuming I would get denied and finally got approved.

ske4za
07-08-2012, 05:26 AM

You're just a woman, living in a man's world...

:behindsofa

Dickie
07-09-2012, 05:02 PM
I tried three times to retrain the 3rd time worked out. Before the transition I worked with an actual guy at MPF who could help me with my package and keep tabs on things. After I had to keep up on the constant harassment calling AFPC once,twice a week to make sure they did what they needed to do. I recently just retrained and it was alll the waiting game. I wish that the actual requirements were listed with whatever AFPC needed me to do. Every other week is was "do this" I would respond immediately and then have to follow up with more phone calls. Finally they relented and I got a class date. The last person I talked to out at AFPC, was actually familiar with my case because I had called so much. The civilian guy helped me out with more detailed info and checked into things.

Dickie
07-09-2012, 05:12 PM
8. Because my EPR closed out in Dec, another EPR was due. The days of supervision were adjusted to my old dates before I changed my departure, so it closed out on May 4th, even though I didn't leave until June 1st. My supervisor was still deployed and was on his way back in May, and the new TSgt in my shop wanted to mark me down. I ended up with a non-firewall 5. I hated that place, I was done arguing and just took that. I signed it the thursday before I left, which had high visibility because the close out date was 3 weeks before.

9. The week before I was to PCS, we had an exercise, and the shop was real thin due to two big deployments still out, so my MSgt told me I had to help him through the exercise. I told him I'd help, but don't expect me to see me afterwords. There was a guy who got back from Afghanistan a few weeks before, and he was leaving to 1N1 school a few weeks after me, and he was already on the outbound list. I was still up on the manning like I was going to work until my last day. Got me fucked up. I didn't want a going away lunch or anything. I didn't even get a handshake or anything, no plaque... definitely not expecting a PCS medal. I had failed a PT test two years ago right before a 3 week TDY so I knew that would come up (even though I tested 35 days later, two days after I got back, and passed).

Sorry for the long post :shocked that's just a glimpse on my retraining process. lol

This is really close to what happened to me at the end, I had no love for my last unit.

p5150
08-10-2013, 11:16 PM
Anyone who is not on the OUT quotas of the NCORP have any success in getting a retraining application through during the NCORP? I have been told that we have to wait until October 1st to submit, even for a chronic critical AFSC!

jmb27
08-12-2013, 05:11 PM
A month ago I submitted an application and it was denied the same day. That's the second time for me. I'm planning on trying again in October.

Dickie
08-12-2013, 05:23 PM
I attempted to retrain 3 times and the third time stuck. lol. The first time was under the old way with a guy down at MPF, the second I got denied due to an AFSC merger and the third time was the charm but it was all that web based stuff we use currently. It was pretty smooth conidering all the folks involved. I just advicate constant harassment of the folks at AFPC, do not let them forget about you or get caught up in the admin shuffle.

cloudFFVII
08-12-2013, 11:47 PM
It's got to be better now then it was for me in 1999.

I was a FTA stationed at Elmendorf AFB, guaranteed to get what I wanted (so long as it was open), wanted to go from Maintenance to Personnel, I did EVERYTHING the MPF told me to do, and then one day I get orders to go to Dover AFB. As a MECHANIC. Mind you, I extended my enlistment to cover the retainability.

So I march on over to the MPF, talked to the first person, and eventually got up to the MSgt in charge. I was like "What is this??? I did everything you guys told me to in order to be approved? They go "Well, did you extend your DEROS?" And I go (well, more like growled) "No one told me to extend my DEROS!!!!". Finally she says "Oh, I wish I knew who you talked to, etc."

Now you'd get a checklist from the Total Force Service Center which would outline exactly what steps you needed to take in your situation. So hands down, it's better now then 14 years ago when this happened to me. Luckily things have worked out in a positive way in my career but that definitely wasn't a positive experience.

p5150
08-13-2013, 06:02 AM
Same here, it took me 5 times to get retraining. I just kept applying assuming I would get denied and finally got approved.

I know a guy that has applied over 40 times and has still not been approved.

jmb27
11-12-2013, 03:24 PM
I just recierved an e-mail talking about how they cut slots for FY 2014 due to sequestration, and they were serious. Basically, unless you are a FTA your screwed since there are no IN slots for any job in any rank except for one 3S3 and three 9S1 slots. So much for my Flight Engineer package.

Bohica
11-12-2013, 11:57 PM
I got a couple of guys in my shop that are getting denied for retraining now. They're FTA. They pretty much were screwed since the govt shutdown.

synergy_68
02-14-2014, 05:09 AM
I know its 2014, but perhaps I can still assist some of you. Enjoy the read.

2005-went PJ out of BMT, washed out 4 months in, retrained into Supply, PCS to Japan
2008 Jan- Left japan and can finalyl pursue SERE. 6 year enlistee, needed to hit my 3year mark to use exception to policy to retrain out of my window, at halfway mark, into critically manned career field. Applied in July, school was in october. Washed out again.
2008Nov- got back from Sere, waited 6 months, entered retraining window, went TACP, submitted one time, attended school in July2009. Washed out 6 months later. (ya I know I suck, but never quit and never got hurt, long story, just figured that 'hardcore' shit wasnt for me. pj, sere, tacp...oh well things happen for a reason)
2010Jan- got back from TACP and immediately submitted BOP, PCS 3 months later.
2012- Career Airman now, put in for Contracting, completed my package, I knew the CFM. Submitted my package 1 day late, missed my chance, went from 15 SSgt slots to ZERO overnight. Man, Im starting to think God wants me in Supply.
2013-deployed, had completed retraining package in hand for contracting, when the quotas were released, ZERO contracting slots.. I couldnt beleive it. Saw Sensor Operator on there, put in for it, got approved, pursued retraining pacakge, Flying physical takes months to get I know, I got it done in 4 weeks by calling everyday, showing up early to my appts, walk-in for all the smaller shit( eyes, ears, etc) submitted package, got April 28 2014 date.
Jan 20140- retraining cancelled due to af reduction. LOL just my luck, wasnt even suprised. Currently pursusing Command Post, 8 SSGt slots left currently. Wish me luck.

I called AFPC a few times, then I emailed the AFPC/Retraining section, found them in the global. Ive been sweet talking the SSgt female that replied ever since and she has helped me out from day one. BY the way, when I submitted my sensor op, had my classdate 24 hours later. Just need to stay on AFPC and Medical..

Good luck...hell, screw you guys... wish ME luck!! Just kidding. email me at synergy_68@yahoo.com for any info.. I know the process obviously with my eyes closed and I have the hookups.

Bohica
02-14-2014, 08:14 AM

2005-went PJ out of BMT, washed out 4 months in, retrained into Supply, PCS to Japan
2008 Jan- Left japan and can finalyl pursue SERE. 6 year enlistee, needed to hit my 3year mark to use exception to policy to retrain out of my window, at halfway mark, into critically manned career field. Applied in July, school was in october. Washed out again.
2008Nov- got back from Sere, waited 6 months, entered retraining window, went TACP, submitted one time, attended school in July2009. Washed out 6 months later. (ya I know I suck, but never quit and never got hurt, long story, just figured that 'hardcore' shit wasnt for me. pj, sere, tacp...oh well things happen for a reason)
2012- Career Airman now, put in for Contracting, completed my package, I knew the CFM. Submitted my package 1 day late, missed my chance, went from 15 SSgt slots to ZERO overnight. Man, Im starting to think God wants me in Supply.
2013-deployed, had completed retraining package in hand for contracting, when the quotas were released, ZERO contracting slots.. I couldnt beleive it. Saw Sensor Operator on there, put in for it, got approved, pursued retraining pacakge, Flying physical takes months to get I know, I got it done in 4 weeks by calling everyday, showing up early to my appts, walk-in for all the smaller shit( eyes, ears, etc) submitted package, got April 28 2014 date.
Jan 20140- retraining cancelled due to af reduction. LOL just my luck, wasnt even suprised. Currently pursusing Command Post, 8 SSGt slots left currently. Wish me luck.

I called AFPC a few times, then I emailed the AFPC/Retraining section, found them in the global. Ive been sweet talking the SSgt female that replied ever since and she has helped me out from day one. BY the way, when I submitted my sensor op, had my classdate 24 hours later. Just need to stay on AFPC and Medical..

Good luck...hell, screw you guys... wish ME luck!! Just kidding. email me at synergy_68@yahoo.com for any info.. I know the process obviously with my eyes closed and I have the hookups.

I got approved for sensor op in Jan 2013 with a class date in September. I graduated in November, but now I'm facing the retention board since they are now overmanned. Upside is I was able to snag the zone A bonus 2 weeks before they completely got rid of it.

BRUWIN
02-14-2014, 11:45 PM

As we say in AFSOC (and no I am not any kind of operator) at least you had "The Guts to Try."

That is actually an AFSOC motto.

BOSS302
02-15-2014, 10:28 AM
As we say in AFSOC (and no I am not any kind of operator) at least you had "The Guts to Try."

That is actually an AFSOC motto.

Does that not include your stint as a 1-900 sex hotline operator in the late 1980s?

Stalwart
02-15-2014, 11:38 AM

Just curious, does the AF limit the number of times you try to get through the SERE (I assume SERE Instructor) training?

synergy_68
03-12-2014, 09:56 PM
Just curious, does the AF limit the number of times you try to get through the SERE (I assume SERE Instructor) training?

Stalwart,
As with all the high-attrition rate schools, if you show the initiative and work hard and really want it, you can wash out and they may let you start over. I know PJs who graduated after 5 teams, SERE guys who took 3 teams just to get to Fairchild, and TACP bubbas who were given 3-4 chances as well. Every case is different.