PDA

View Full Version : Flight Engineer retraining

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

kenton
10-25-2009, 02:01 PM
Well just an update. I'm still in status 3 for over 2 weeks now but I did inquire with AFPC today so hopefully I'll hear back something next week. If not I might just call the CEA recruiter and see what he has to say.

That aside I was supposed to go in for another flight physical on Mon because my 2yr expires in Feb but public health called to cancel today because a change in the AFI allows them to extend my current one out and my 1042 until the end of formal training. But since I haven't got class dates or final approval for that matter how am I supposed to know when the end of formal training is? They told me to guess when that could be. So do I go 6 mo, do I go a yr, shoot how about 2. Well I still have to see the fight doc on Mon at least. Just not sure what I'm gonna tell him

Tell him to read AFI 48-123V1 3.1.6... lol. It states he can extend it up to 48 months from the date the original one was signed.... to be safe I would ask him to extend another 24 months which would be the max... You could start classes next june or july... then your looking at 10 - 15 months on top of that.

kenton
10-25-2009, 02:02 PM
Just curious... Anyone have class dates for BFE in early Jan?? I leave Jan 8

imported_ANALYST
10-25-2009, 04:18 PM
Just curious... Anyone have class dates for BFE in early Jan?? I leave Jan 8

Hey man, when did you get approved? Thanks for the help.

kenton
10-26-2009, 12:25 AM
Hey man, when did you get approved? Thanks for the help.

I turned status 6 on August 10

alcorh
10-26-2009, 04:39 AM
Kenton, I think i saw back like a hundred pages that you was goin to fundies 08 Jan? Is that correct? If so I also am in that class.

alcorh
10-26-2009, 05:28 AM
nvm i scrolled up lol

imported_TJC78
10-26-2009, 02:51 PM
Just a quick note. Finished BFE yesterday; glad that phase is over! For everyone out there. Prepare to study. You'll have plenty of homework, trust me! Good luck to all of you! Next up, is IQT which doesn't start until February! Well SERE is January, but I'm actually looking forward to getting up there and get it over with.

Dave

BAHAHAHA! You'll be wishing you were back in BFE when you're in SERE. Have fun!

bcoco14
10-26-2009, 07:55 PM
Well its been another wasted day. After they canceled my flight physical Friday and said they would just extend my current one I was a bit uneasy. With good reason i see now. The way the flight doc read the reg it was for people who already have class dates and are just waiting I'm only status 3 with no dates he thinks I have to redo the physical, witch was fine and what I was trying to do in the first place. Now they want to wait to talk to the public health person who found all this. Who of coarse isn't going to be at work until Wed afternoon. So now it looks like I'm going to end up doing what I was trying to do in the first place and should have done today. Its probably going to be another 3 weeks for an appointment and then 30-45 days to get the physical back.

To add another kick in the junk AFPC tells me today that even though I'm status 3 I won't see a decision on my application until late Dec when the NCORP ends.

jdogg2
10-26-2009, 08:31 PM
Hey analyst any word? Ive been waiting for 5 weeks for my status 6 and no dice...did you ever get a call from them?

imported_ANALYST
10-26-2009, 08:53 PM
Hey analyst any word? Ive been waiting for 5 weeks for my status 6 and no dice...did you ever get a call from them?

No sir, no word yet. I am week 3 now. You definitely should be hearing something really soon. AFPC keeps telling me to be patient. Has anyone gotten class dates lately?

kenton
10-26-2009, 10:04 PM
Kenton, I think i saw back like a hundred pages that you was goin to fundies 08 Jan? Is that correct? If so I also am in that class.

Cool... I ran into another dude about a month ago he has the same class dates as well. He's either coming from DM or Luke I cant remember which. I'll be driving down from Nellis.... where you coming from??

alcorh
10-27-2009, 01:28 AM
Cool... I ran into another dude about a month ago he has the same class dates as well. He's either coming from DM or Luke I cant remember which. I'll be driving down from Nellis.... where you coming from??

Kenton, Im also coming from Nellis. what AMU are you in? Im in Thunder

nman8119
10-27-2009, 12:53 PM
Keaton, I'll be down there at that time. My aircrew Fundies starts Dec 1st and my BFE class dates start Jan 4th.

kenton
10-27-2009, 05:46 PM
Kenton, Im also coming from Nellis. what AMU are you in? Im in Thunder

Im coming from the 66th... I PCS in 3 weeks. Should be there around 22 Nov or so. I think im seeing car pool in our future.. lol

kenton
10-27-2009, 05:50 PM
Keaton, I'll be down there at that time. My aircrew Fundies starts Dec 1st and my BFE class dates start Jan 4th.

Word... looks like we're getting a good little weekend drinking group together b4 we head out... lol... Dont look for me during the week though... I'll be focused

TheDude
10-28-2009, 04:30 PM
BAHAHAHA! You'll be wishing you were back in BFE when you're in SERE. Have fun!

No Sh*t!! I just got back from SERE, let's just say I was hatin' life and wishin' I could be back in San Antonio worrying about Block 5!!

Gunner7
10-29-2009, 01:34 AM
Can you share some details on what was so unpleasant about the experience? I've been told that it's kinda fun up until the time they start putting you in stress positions and smacking you around.

I would not recommend talking about certain aspects of the training conducted at SERE. It would not be the right thing to do.

imported_AeroMech78
10-29-2009, 03:04 AM
I would not recommend talking about certain aspects of the training conducted at SERE. It would not be the right thing to do.

Point taken. Just sounds intriguing is all.

defytone
10-29-2009, 03:58 AM
This is just a summary on my whole experience in the FE re-training process. I first submitted my packet for re-training in July of 07. After 13 months, I finally received my class dates in August of 08. BFE was a challenge and I highly suggest you study as a class. Regardless if you like your class or not, study together! Looking back on BFE it is nothing compared to what you have to know once you get to your specific airframe school. I was an Instrument and Flight Control Systems troop on 130s at Dyess AFB. To my complete and utter surprise I was assigned to go back to 130s at the 39th at Dyess AFB!!!! SERE was awesome……. Arrived at C130 FIQ in Little Rock AFB in May of 09. Today I Q1’d my check ride (after receiving a new -1 and abbreviated checklist a week prior!!) and after spending six months here I am on my way back to Dyess. Airframe specific school is no joke. Pretty much knowing the whole -1 is standard procedure (I am sure it is for any airframe). The old timers at Lockheed do a great job in getting you ready for dealing with the 62nd training squadron at LRAFB. Even after hearing about the rumors of instructors at the 62nd being douches everyone I dealt with was nothing but professional including my instructor. Overall summary of this whole crazy process is patience! Two years and three months later I am finally a qualified engineer. It is well worth the wait and the time goes by so fast. Stay in the books and keep your head up and press on. Good luck to everyone.

ChiefB
10-29-2009, 04:51 AM
I'm hoping my plan works out...im driving to texas from florida, then flying to washington for sere then flying back to texas to get my car and drive back to florida for water survival here in pensacola.

Tip: At SERE...don't eat the eyeballs.
At Water survival...get black sneakers....☺

ChiefB

imported_TJC78
10-29-2009, 03:10 PM
Can you share some details on what was so unpleasant about the experience? I've been told that it's kinda fun up until the time they start putting you in stress positions and smacking you around.

To take it one step further, I would recommend deleting that post altogether. SERE school is not something that should be discussed openly, especially on an internet forum.

Golther
10-30-2009, 05:09 PM
YAY! Finally code 3 today! After all of my supervision dragging their asses and writing me negative reviews do to politics. I will so laugh in their faces when I get 5.

bcoco14
10-30-2009, 05:30 PM
YAY! Finally code 3 today! After all of my supervision dragging their asses and writing me negative reviews do to politics. I will so laugh in their faces when I get 5.

I wouldn't advise burning any bridges. They are still going to have to sign off once you get your status 5 paperwork from formal training.Plus its never good to leave somewhere on a bad note no mater how much you dislike said place or people there.

imported_ANALYST
10-30-2009, 05:33 PM

Good job man, hopefully you meet the board this month and get your status five early next month. Good thing you did not give up on getting your approvals. After that, more waiting around for class dates and what not. Also, I heard AFPC was kind of moving slow due to the NCORP. Good luck though.

Max Power
10-30-2009, 05:56 PM
I wouldn't advise burning any bridges. They are still going to have to sign off once you get your status 5 paperwork from formal training.Plus its never good to leave somewhere on a bad note no mater how much you dislike said place or people there.

They tell you the same thing when you're in BFE. Depending on which airframe you get, you might be stuck at your base waiting for IQT for up to 8 months. They can make things very unpleasant for you while you are waiting for school. Do not burn any bridges no matter how much you want to. Trust me, it's well worth it in the end.

Spunjah413
10-30-2009, 07:04 PM

And to add on to that, you may fail out and get sent back home. Just being real.

Max Power
10-30-2009, 07:27 PM
Last day of work today! Drive down to Little Rock Monday for C-130 FIQ. Ready to get the hell out of this place. :cool:

Golther
10-30-2009, 07:56 PM
As for me there are no bridges to burn. They have been putting me down and calling me worthless because I volunteered for Honor Guard.

imported_ANALYST
10-30-2009, 08:34 PM
As for me there are no bridges to burn. They have been putting me down and calling me worthless because I volunteered for Honor Guard.

That is crazy that they would call you worthless, just for volunteering for honor guard. Man in my squadron, they go around asking you if you want to do honor guard. It sucks when people try to put you down when you are trying to advance your own career.

mojo
10-31-2009, 01:03 AM
I got a status 3 on Wednesday this week. Does BPO still meet the last business day of the month? Just wondering because I got the message again today (4:30 ET) that my package was referred to BPO.. just wondering if that means I didnt make this months cut.

imported_ANALYST
10-31-2009, 01:12 AM
I got a status 3 on Wednesday this week. Does BPO still meet the last business day of the month? Just wondering because I got the message again today (4:30 ET) that my package was referred to BPO.. just wondering if that means I didnt make this months cut.

Well, did you call AFPC? Every time I call them, I get that sort of a reply. If you made the board, you should see status five in a couple of day. Dont totally quote me on that though.

mojo
10-31-2009, 02:03 AM
Well, did you call AFPC? Every time I call them, I get that sort of a reply. If you made the board, you should see status five in a couple of day. Dont totally quote me on that though.

Nope, didnt call and that is why i was wondering because it did it on automatic.

imported_ANALYST
10-31-2009, 02:12 AM
Nope, didnt call and that is why i was wondering because it did it on automatic.

Well, I know if you were missing anything they would let you know. Did you have a waiver or anything?

Golther
10-31-2009, 06:38 AM
When it gets referred to BPO it means it has been reviewed and is good to go to the board. Mine was status code 3 today so I don't know if I went to the broad or not today.

alcorh
10-31-2009, 02:29 PM
Well this process hasnt been to bad, Submitted my app on the 12 oct 09 and got status 3 a couple days later, then the following monday 19 Oct 09 status 6. go to fundies on 08 Jan-28 Jan 2010 and then start BFE on the 29th of Jan to 12 Mar 2010. Ive read this entire forum over the last few weeks, learned a lot of info from everyone here. Thanks for all that. But Ive been scanning back through trying to find the info i need, was wondering if you need to take any gear or what ya gotta bring with you for fundies and BFE. I know its been said on here already but i cant find the page that its on. When i say gear I mean anything other than the basic uniforms and pt gear and blues. I was talkin to my RA and they know they have to buy me all the gear for the retraining but not sure where you find that list of what you all need. I ran the corse codes for fundies and BFE on the FTCA website but they dont show anyting. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Oh yeah, I also read back a few hundred pages bout gear you need for Sere. Someone said that theres a link on the portal for what you need. Looked everywhere for it and even went to fairchild website and couldnt find anything. Could someone link the address if they know it plz.

Again thanks for all the info from the guys who already been through this. Hope all goes well in the next couple years

kenton
10-31-2009, 03:49 PM
Oh yeah, I also read back a few hundred pages bout gear you need for Sere. Someone said that theres a link on the portal for what you need. Looked everywhere for it and even went to fairchild website and couldnt find anything. Could someone link the address if they know it plz.

https://etca.randolph.af.mil/

Government computer needed... Search for the class and it will tell you what you need to bring. If you still cant find it I will send you the direct link for all SERE classes on Monday when Im back at work. Once you find out your airframe you can look up the requirements for those courses as well.

imported_ANALYST
10-31-2009, 04:17 PM
Well this process hasnt been to bad, Submitted my app on the 12 oct 09 and got status 3 a couple days later, then the following monday 19 Oct 09 status 6. go to fundies on 08 Jan-28 Jan 2010 and then start BFE on the 29th of Jan to 12 Mar 2010. Ive read this entire forum over the last few weeks, learned a lot of info from everyone here. Thanks for all that. But Ive been scanning back through trying to find the info i need, was wondering if you need to take any gear or what ya gotta bring with you for fundies and BFE. I know its been said on here already but i cant find the page that its on. When i say gear I mean anything other than the basic uniforms and pt gear and blues. I was talkin to my RA and they know they have to buy me all the gear for the retraining but not sure where you find that list of what you all need. I ran the corse codes for fundies and BFE on the FTCA website but they dont show anyting. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Again thanks for all the info from the guys who already been through this. Hope all goes well in the next couple years

Hey, you must be NCORP, that was really fast man. Congrats man.

bcoco14
11-01-2009, 01:11 AM
Well this process hasnt been to bad, Submitted my app on the 12 oct 09 and got status 3 a couple days later, then the following monday 19 Oct 09 status 6. go to fundies on 08 Jan-28 Jan 2010 and then start BFE on the 29th of Jan to 12 Mar 2010.

First off congrats. Now this is the kind off stuff that ticks me off 7 Oct I go status 3 and 1 Nov I'm still in the same spot. Unless your AFSC had out objectives and I would like to think this is the case. I would love to know AFPC's process of handling applications.

alcorh
11-01-2009, 01:33 AM
Hey, you must be NCORP, that was really fast man. Congrats man.

yeah was NCORP

Spunjah413
11-01-2009, 02:47 AM
Alcorh, all you need for Fundies/ BFE are like you said, Uniforms, blues, and PT gear. For SERE i forget the coarse code, but you can check the ETCA website and type in SV-80 and it should tell you all the things you require. Basically just extra socks and undies along with a few extra things if I recall for cold weather, coupled with an extra uniform. You can buy all the other stuff right at the Shoppette attached to the billeting building also.

Just make sure when you are attending BFE to head over to Kelly INN on Kelly Annex to recieve Full rate perdiem (50+ a day).

Good luck.

imported_TJC78
11-02-2009, 01:57 PM
Last day of work today! Drive down to Little Rock Monday for C-130 FIQ. Ready to get the hell out of this place. :cool:

You suck! Seriously though, good luck. I'm sure you'll have a blast pushing sticks on that piggy.

imported_ANALYST
11-02-2009, 02:08 PM
yeah was NCORP

Yeah, that goes along with what I heard from a source.

Golther
11-02-2009, 04:03 PM
Has anybody that did CAREERS get selected early or was it in the beginning of the month after the QRP board?

imported_ANALYST
11-02-2009, 04:19 PM
Has anybody that did CAREERS get selected early or was it in the beginning of the month after the QRP board?

Hey man, I was selected (status 5) on the 5th of October after I submitted my package in the later part of September. Hope it helps.

xboomer
11-02-2009, 06:53 PM
Can someone who is staying at Kelly please tell me if the rooms have a small fridge and microwave?

Thanks

imported_SUPERSTAR
11-02-2009, 10:17 PM
Can someone who is staying at Kelly please tell me if the rooms have a small fridge and microwave?

Thanks

There is a small fridge, Microwave, desk, TV, small table....just like Best Western! I'm currently in Kelly Inn! It's real nice here...$$$

kenton
11-02-2009, 11:39 PM
There is a small fridge, Microwave, desk, TV, small table....just like Best Western! I'm currently in Kelly Inn! It's real nice here...$$$

I just made my Kelly Inn reservation yesterday... see you guys down there on the 8th of Jan... If your still around.

xboomer
11-03-2009, 02:30 AM

Thanks, I hope I will be there soon.

alcorh
11-03-2009, 03:00 AM
From what I hear, it depends on your rank on what size/type of room you get. If your an E-4 or below guess your in a shoe box, E5-6 meddium sized room and E7 and above get the best/nicest rooms

Golther
11-03-2009, 05:38 AM
My package was accepted and reviewed by the BPO on the 30th, I hope my package squeaked by and slipped into the pile for the reviewers.

imported_ANALYST
11-03-2009, 11:50 AM
My package was accepted and reviewed by the BPO on the 30th, I hope my package squeaked by and slipped into the pile for the reviewers.

Just hang in there and you will get your status (5) soon enough. Also, there should be a couple of people getting class dates around here.

mojo
11-03-2009, 01:38 PM

Did you get that message on AFPC at 4:33 on the 30th? That is the message I got and I didnt know if that meant I missed Oct board or if that meant it was going for review on that day.

imported_ANALYST
11-03-2009, 01:50 PM
CAREERS Retraining applicants compete with other CAREERS Retraining applicants for limited retraining quotas in the desired AFSC’s. Airmen are prioritized according to the following criteria: Most recent EPR; current grade; projected grade; next three EPR's; Date of Rank (DOR); Total Active Federal Military Service Date (TAFMSD); AQE score in the applicable area (electrical, mechanical, administrative, or general); requested AFSC preferences. Airmen ranking higher have a better chance of getting selected for retraining. You will only be notified if your application is approved or you have met your 3rd board.
Pulled the above statement from My Stuff...

Well if you were notified, I would think you were approved. Not sure, but that is what I am getting from this.

imported_TJC78
11-03-2009, 03:02 PM
From what I hear, it depends on your rank on what size/type of room you get. If your an E-4 or below guess your in a shoe box, E5-6 meddium sized room and E7 and above get the best/nicest rooms

Are you talking about the rooms at Kelly Inn? If so, rank apparently doesn't matter. I'm an E-5 and I got put in a huge room. Max Power is an E-6 and got stuck in a shoebox. I think it just depends on what's available when you call to make your reservation.

alcorh
11-03-2009, 03:34 PM
Are you talking about the rooms at Kelly Inn? If so, rank apparently doesn't matter. I'm an E-5 and I got put in a huge room. Max Power is an E-6 and got stuck in a shoebox. I think it just depends on what's available when you call to make your reservation.

Oh hope your right, im also an e-5. would be nice to not be stuck in a shoe box for 3 months lol, but then again, 50+ dollars a day I guess i cant complain much

Golther
11-03-2009, 04:29 PM
Did you get that message on AFPC at 4:33 on the 30th? That is the message I got and I didnt know if that meant I missed Oct board or if that meant it was going for review on that day.

I got that message at 10:09 on the 30th.

TheDude
11-03-2009, 07:35 PM
Oh hope your right, im also an e-5. would be nice to not be stuck in a shoe box for 3 months lol, but then again, 50+ dollars a day I guess i cant complain much

Yeah, it all depends- I can't remember but I think the west or south wing is the side that typically has larger rooms- but I'm not sure... ask them if you can get on that side, they're usually good about hookin you up as long as you're cool with them, plus the parking lot up front is notorious for getting a sh*tload of ants in your car (trust me I found out the hard way)

imported_ANALYST
11-03-2009, 07:53 PM
Yeah, it all depends- I can't remember but I think the west or south wing is the side that typically has larger rooms- but I'm not sure... ask them if you can get on that side, they're usually good about hookin you up as long as you're cool with them, plus the parking lot up front is notorious for getting a sh*tload of ants in your car (trust me I found out the hard way)

How did ants get into your car and is it true that the area around kelly is a bit rough.

alcorh
11-04-2009, 12:37 AM

eww yeah that sucks. did you have alot of food laying around in your car? Did you have any probs with ants in the rooms or just in the p-lot? How many floors does Kelly have?

imported_SUPERSTAR
11-04-2009, 12:46 AM
How did ants get into your car and is it true that the area around kelly is a bit rough.

If you park with any portion of your car near the grass, you run the chance of ants eating it. I park in the middle of the back parking lot and had no problems yet. The ants here in Texas like to eat car parts. I remember a dude a month ago saying he had a problem where they got in the engine bay and ate some wiring. On room size I guess its a crap shoot like the assignment you will get here around block 5 of BFE, unless you are an overseas return. If your nice to the front desk people they should be able to move you if your not happy with what you get. The area around Kelly Inn is an industrial area. There isn't really anything within a couple miles but its totally safe. I see a lot of rent a cops and sometimes security forces crusing the area. Per diem here is now $66 a day!

Max Power
11-04-2009, 02:58 AM

Rub it in some more you son of a bitch. ;) I at least have a good sized room and my own bathroom here at Little Rock. My room is right across the street from the school so I'm at least saving on gas.

alcorh
11-04-2009, 04:11 AM
If you park with any portion of your car near the grass, you run the chance of ants eating it. I park in the middle of the back parking lot and had no problems yet. The ants here in Texas like to eat car parts. I remember a dude a month ago saying he had a problem where they got in the engine bay and ate some wiring. On room size I guess its a crap shoot like the assignment you will get here around block 5 of BFE, unless you are an overseas return. If your nice to the front desk people they should be able to move you if your not happy with what you get. The area around Kelly Inn is an industrial area. There isn't really anything within a couple miles but its totally safe. I see a lot of rent a cops and sometimes security forces crusing the area. Per diem here is now $66 a day!

Can someone confirm the $66 aday at Kelly?

Max Power
11-04-2009, 12:55 PM
Can someone confirm the $66 aday at Kelly?

There is no chow hall on Kelly. You will get whatever the full per diem rate is for San Antonio which just got bumped up because of the new fiscal year.

Spunjah413
11-04-2009, 01:36 PM
Yeah don't leave open food around, hell dont leave food around period. When my wife was with me the ants ate threw fucking boxes and plastic and got into all our unopened cereal, mac n cheese, and even threw our drink mixes. Those texas ants dont play. Just buy some ant killer or complain and get them to take care of it.

imported_TJC78
11-04-2009, 03:05 PM

According to one dumbass in my BFE class (who eventually failed out), ants were attracted to my car because I used my A/C and they wanted the water that dripped out. Fact is, I made the mistake of leaving a bag of food in the car.

The area around Kelly isn't all that nice, but I never felt like my life was in danger or anything while I was there.

eww yeah that sucks. did you have alot of food laying around in your car? Did you have any probs with ants in the rooms or just in the p-lot? How many floors does Kelly have?

Ants were bad everywhere, including the rooms. They might not be so bad this time of year, but I still wouldn't leave anything laying out.

Yeah don't leave open food around, hell dont leave food around period. When my wife was with me the ants ate threw fucking boxes and plastic and got into all our unopened cereal, mac n cheese, and even threw our drink mixes. Those texas ants dont play. Just buy some ant killer or complain and get them to take care of it.

They sprayed every few weeks, but that doesn't stop those little bastards. And yes, they will eat through pretty much anything. I'd advise buying some Rubbermaid containters or put everything in the fridge if you're going to have food in your room.

imported_TJC78
11-04-2009, 03:09 PM
Rub it in some more you son of a bitch. ;) I at least have a good sized room and my own bathroom here at Little Rock. My room is right across the street from the school so I'm at least saving on gas.

Hey you could've done what that one dude did and move to 7 different hotels. :tongue:

imported_BRAVO10000
11-04-2009, 03:14 PM
They sprayed every few weeks, but that doesn't stop those little bastards. And yes, they will eat through pretty much anything. I'd advise buying some Rubbermaid containters or put everything in the fridge if you're going to have food in your room.

A tip -

Sevin dust (the poison, not the rock band) along the baseboards and doorjambs. Don't use it near your food. Doesn't take much. You can get a 3 lb bag for like 10 bucks at Lowe's or Home Depot. :D

alcorh
11-04-2009, 04:22 PM
Hey you could've done what that one dude did and move to 7 different hotels. :tongue:

damn talk about musical hotel rooms lol

Max Power
11-04-2009, 10:21 PM

That guy was such a retard. I still fucking hate him with a passion.

jdogg2
11-04-2009, 11:48 PM
I finnally got my dates after exactly 6 weeks, 22Jan - 10 Feb for fundies..then BFE.

imported_ANALYST
11-05-2009, 01:45 AM
I finnally got my dates after exactly 6 weeks, 22Jan - 10 Feb for fundies..then BFE.

It’s about time man; my dates should be coming down the pipe sooner or later. Congrats though, I will be patiently waiting......

alcorh
11-05-2009, 04:28 AM

grats. Do you start BFE on the 11th?

bcoco14
11-05-2009, 09:20 AM
Is there anyone from Maguire at Seymour Johnson for the next few days. I saw a KC-10 today and if anyone from here is on that trip I'd like to be able get up with you and maybe pick your brain or get a better sence of what I'm getting myself into.

StevenW135
11-05-2009, 04:41 PM
Analyst- All my stuff is excatly the same as your. The only thing differnt is my packed went to "status 3" sept 11. Oct 5 "status" 5. Now Im just waiting for the 6. I am a SSGT flying cc here at mcconnell. This needs to hurry up.

StevenW135
11-05-2009, 04:50 PM
Also I'm not sure if i read a reply about it taking longer than 6 weeks to get a class seat. But has that ever been a problem? Also I heard that the new SRB list comes out next week. So if your current job has a SRB which mine does- 2.5 and the FE has a 2.0 for FTA I hope the both go up to recieve the bonous.

imported_ANALYST
11-05-2009, 05:22 PM
Analyst- All my stuff is excatly the same as your. The only thing differnt is my packed went to "status 3" sept 11. Oct 5 "status" 5. Now Im just waiting for the 6. I am a SSGT flying cc here at mcconnell. This needs to hurry up.

Well, I would say the 16th should be our day for class dates. My current job had a nice SRB but I was not even close to re-enlisting. It might be pretty good once I reach that point. Who knew you could get a bonus reseting IMDS/G081 passwords....

JENNYTHING
11-05-2009, 05:28 PM
Ants were bad everywhere, including the rooms. They might not be so bad this time of year, but I still wouldn't leave anything laying out.

They're still pretty bad, I almost ate some Special K with a side of ants the other morning, luckly I looked in my bowl before I took that first bite.....

Two thumbs up to this idea, I def learned my leasson!!!

Golther
11-05-2009, 06:24 PM
YAY! Even after all the negative and untrue crap that my supervision has been spewing about me to the commander and AFPC, I got selected on the first round anyways! Now I just wonder how long till I get my status 6.

StevenW135
11-05-2009, 06:29 PM
Well, I would say the 16th should be our day for class dates. My current job had a nice SRB but I was not even close to re-enlisting. It might be pretty good once I reach that point. Who knew you could get a bonus reseting IMDS/G081 passwords....

Well as much as I forget my password you guys should get a SRB. SO what your saying is you will have the retainablity even after you get a "status 6"? I guess im lucky I will get a SRB reguardless. I still kinda don't understand status 5. What's the point? To make it easier it should be your approved or your not.

jdogg2
11-05-2009, 06:45 PM
grats. Do you start BFE on the 11th?

BFE on the 11th of Feb, same for you?

Golther
11-05-2009, 06:47 PM
Status 5 is just saying you HAVE been selected and status 6 is when they tell you your class dates.

imported_ANALYST
11-05-2009, 06:49 PM
Well as much as I forget my password you guys should get a SRB. SO what your saying is you will have the retainablity even after you get a "status 6"? I guess im lucky I will get a SRB reguardless. I still kinda don't understand status 5. What's the point? To make it easier it should be your approved or your not.

Well, status five gives you the assurance that you have met the boards and you were selected. It just makes you feel better to know that you want be waiting and waiting for the boards.

imported_ANALYST
11-05-2009, 06:50 PM
YAY! Even after all the negative and untrue crap that my supervision has been spewing about me to the commander and AFPC, I got selected on the first round anyways! Now I just wonder how long till I get my status 6.

Good job man, I kind of figured you were approved when you posted your last comment.

imported_TJC78
11-05-2009, 07:15 PM
They're still pretty bad, I almost ate some Special K with a side of ants the other morning, luckly I looked in my bowl before I took that first bite.....

Two thumbs up to this idea, I def learned my leasson!!!

Hey just look at it this way...you could've eaten them as a way to prepare yourself for what you'll be eating in SERE!

kenton
11-05-2009, 07:21 PM
Also I'm not sure if i read a reply about it taking longer than 6 weeks to get a class seat. But has that ever been a problem? Also I heard that the new SRB list comes out next week. So if your current job has a SRB which mine does- 2.5 and the FE has a 2.0 for FTA I hope the both go up to recieve the bonous.

Its already out... came out yesterday

StevenW135
11-05-2009, 07:22 PM
Well as much as I have been screwed over being a flight line crew chief assurance isn't enough. I need dates to trust it haha.

TheDude
11-05-2009, 07:24 PM
Hey just look at it this way...you could've eaten them as a way to prepare yourself for what you'll be eating in SERE!

HAHA... one of the SERE instructors had a bunch of ants he found and offered us some- they tasted just like lemon drops, delicious!

Jot
11-06-2009, 01:35 AM
Anyone have any idea approximately how many flight hours a C-130 engineer will have after finishing up at Little Rock?

CBRrider
11-06-2009, 02:41 AM
i was status 5 on oct 5th also..has anyone heard anything about class dates? i called AFPC and they told me i will not get a class date untill the class is filled. does anyone know if i will still get bah and bas while in tech school? thanks so much!

imported_ANALYST
11-06-2009, 03:01 AM
i was status 5 on oct 5th also..has anyone heard anything about class dates? i called AFPC and they told me i will not get a class date untill the class is filled. does anyone know if i will still get bah and bas while in tech school? thanks so much!

Wow, we have another that made the Oct 5 cut. I am thinking the 16th will be our day. As for BAH and BAS, I believe you will receive it. I received it when I went TDY to 5 level school. Hope it helps.

c5engineer
11-06-2009, 03:04 AM
Anyone have any idea approximately how many flight hours a C-130 engineer will have after finishing up at Little Rock?

Depends, but I am checking out next Friday and I will have 29 hours. Others in my class who are at Little Rock in the 62nd are averaging 35-40 hours. You no longer fly after initial qual training, you finish the sims and then go into mission qual. At the end of mission qual you fly your tactical sims and then fly five "pro" sims that are four hours long and all you do is shoot instrument approachs. It is completely unrealistic!!!

I'm flying H2's at Nashville for my flying portion. Since your a reservist my advice to you, take it or leave it, is to have your chief request you do the flying portion at Nashville. They are a full on FTU now so he can request it and Little Rock can't say boo!!! The reason I bring this up is that your flying H2.5's or 3's and if you fly at Little Rock you'll fly E's, which are nothing like H2's. They have different engines, electrics, hydraulic components and bleed air stuff.Plus you'll have to go back to your unit and do differences training. I'm walking out of Nashville with a Form 8 that says I'm H2 qualified and all I need is local indoc when I get back home.

I have 4,000 hours in the C-5 and I can tell you from my 25 hours in the H2 flying all tactical stuff so far, I love the 130!!!!!!!!!!!!! They could offer me another stripe and I wouldn't go back to the 5. Don't get me wrong the 5 was badass and I've been everywhere and done a lot of cool stuff, but flying low level behind another aircraft while your terrain following and yanking and banking, there is absolutely no comparison. For those of you on 10's, 5's etc. you'll do neat stuff, but there is nothing like never getting above 3000 feet MSL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck

imported_ANALYST
11-06-2009, 03:12 AM
Depends, but I am checking out next Friday and I will have 29 hours. Others in my class who are at Little Rock in the 62nd are averaging 35-40 hours. You no longer fly after initial qual training, you finish the sims and then go into mission qual. At the end of mission qual you fly your tactical sims and then fly five "pro" sims that are four hours long and all you do is shoot instrument approachs. It is completely unrealistic!!!

I'm flying H2's at Nashville for my flying portion. Since your a reservist my advice to you, take it or leave it, is to have your chief request you do the flying portion at Nashville. They are a full on FTU now so he can request it and Little Rock can't say boo!!! The reason I bring this up is that your flying H2.5's or 3's and if you fly at Little Rock you'll fly E's, which are nothing like H2's. They have different engines, electrics, hydraulic components and bleed air stuff.Plus you'll have to go back to your unit and do differences training. I'm walking out of Nashville with a Form 8 that says I'm H2 qualified and all I need is local indoc when I get back home.

I have 4,000 hours in the C-5 and I can tell you from my 25 hours in the H2 flying all tactical stuff so far, I love the 130!!!!!!!!!!!!! They could offer me another stripe and I wouldn't go back to the 5. Don't get me wrong the 5 was badass and I've been everywhere and done a lot of cool stuff, but flying low level behind another aircraft while your terrain following and yanking and banking, there is absolutely no comparison. For those of you on 10's, 5's etc. you'll do neat stuff, but there is nothing like never getting above 3000 feet MSL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck

Would you recommend going c-130s first and switch to 5's and 10's or would you do it the way you described above?

daftcon
11-06-2009, 03:57 AM
adding to what C5engineer said, by the way, whats up kevin?... i checked on tuesday from c130 initial and mission qual, and i finished up with about 39ish hours. should be more but flight time gets cut down sometimes due to weather and maintenance.

and yea going 210 knots 300 feet above the ground in multi ship formations in f*kin insane. wouldnt trade it for anything right now. if you're looking for a thrill in a super manueverable crago plane, 130s is good stuff!!

Golther
11-06-2009, 05:04 AM
Wow, we have another that made the Oct 5 cut. I am thinking the 16th will be our day. As for BAH and BAS, I believe you will receive it. I received it when I went TDY to 5 level school. Hope it helps.

Are you referring to the 16th of Jan as our class days? Or are you thinking we are going to get the dates on the 16th of this month? I compared the availability list today and I saw that only 3 slots got taken.

Freelancer
11-06-2009, 07:41 AM

Good luck

You're making me really looking forward for helo training. My fundies start January 22 and I just can't wait. Getting so freaking excited about it. The last hurtle to prevent my PCS (PT test,) is behind me so I'm on cruise control till December 8. Hope to see some of you guys at Lackland. See you there Kenton. I know you'll be a class ahead of me and all but we should be catching up to each other somewhere along the way by the time we get to Kirtland.

imported_ANALYST
11-06-2009, 11:33 AM
Are you referring to the 16th of Jan as our class days? Or are you thinking we are going to get the dates on the 16th of this month? I compared the availability list today and I saw that only 3 slots got taken.

No sir, I am referring to the 16th of November. That is when the six week wait for class dates will be up for those of us that went status five on the 5th of October. Yeah, I guess I might have confused some people.

Golther
11-06-2009, 01:59 PM
No sir, I am referring to the 16th of November. That is when the six week wait for class dates will be up for those of us that went status five on the 5th of October. Yeah, I guess I might have confused some people.

One of the NCO's that I know got selected 2 days after submitting his paperwork and immediately got his class dates. I wonder why it takes them so long for us to get dates.

imported_ANALYST
11-06-2009, 02:04 PM
One of the NCO's that I know got selected 2 days after submitting his paperwork and immediately got his class dates. I wonder why it takes them so long for us to get dates.

He is most likely processing NCORP. They made it a lot quicker than it used to be.

Golther
11-06-2009, 02:18 PM
Do you have any speculation on when our dates will be? You seem to have a better idea than I do.

imported_ANALYST
11-06-2009, 02:23 PM
Do you have any speculation on when our dates will be? You seem to have a better idea than I do.

Well, If you count six weeks from when you received status five. That should be about the time you get your class dates. I think there is about three of us that should receive our dates on the same day.

Golther
11-06-2009, 03:08 PM
I am sorry I haven't been reading properly I got my status 5 on the 5th of November, not October like you Analyst. I still got a while to go to wait for my days.

c5engineer
11-07-2009, 06:58 PM
Would you recommend going c-130s first and switch to 5's and 10's or would you do it the way you described above?

I'm torn. It's definitely been fun in the 5, but if your young the 130 is the better option because of all the extra crap you have to do when your hangin out in the desert. Finishing your career on the 5 though means that you have a lot more training to do and your system knowledge will have to be more involved than the 130. The 130 is so simple even a caveman can do it!!!!!!! Section 3 has 86 pages of emergency procedures, the 5 has 300. Lots more on the complication factor, but more like an airliner when it comes to gettin' down to business.

Glad to hear your done Adam. Now there's five of us left to check. I check out next Friday.

imported_AeroMech78
11-07-2009, 07:21 PM
I'm torn. It's definitely been fun in the 5, but if your young the 130 is the better option because of all the extra crap you have to do when your hangin out in the desert. Finishing your career on the 5 though means that you have a lot more training to do and your system knowledge will have to be more involved than the 130. The 130 is so simple even a caveman can do it!!!!!!! Section 3 has 86 pages of emergency procedures, the 5 has 300. Lots more on the complication factor, but more like an airliner when it comes to gettin' down to business.

Glad to hear your done Adam. Now there's five of us left to check. I check out next Friday.

I can see it now. Yet another cheesy Geico commercial with the cavedudes on a herky bird :D

In other news, my class III just got approved by AFRC after 4 months. Probably would have been longer if I hadn't been nagging the med group every day for the last 3 weeks. I'll probably swear in after TG. Next up, wait for class dates. :cheers:

xboomer
11-09-2009, 01:29 PM
I can see it now. Yet another cheesy Geico commercial with the cavedudes on a herky bird :D

In other news, my class III just got approved by AFRC after 4 months. Probably would have been longer if I hadn't been nagging the med group every day for the last 3 weeks. I'll probably swear in after TG. Next up, wait for class dates. :cheers:

Make sure your security paper work has been submitted!!!. I thought I was all set for a class date just to find out they will not give you one until your security clearance investigation has been opened. This may take several more months. I have been waiting for over 5 weeks to get this done but no news as of today.

StevenW135
11-09-2009, 02:36 PM
Make sure your security paper work has been submitted!!!. I thought I was all set for a class date just to find out they will not give you one until your security clearance investigation has been opened. This may take several more months. I have been waiting for over 5 weeks to get this done but no news as of today.

If you already have a SEC clearnace your good to go. Xboomer are you a boom op?

xboomer
11-09-2009, 02:41 PM
If you already have a SEC clearnace your good to go. Xboomer are you a boom op?

Steven, it appears by the thread that AeroMech 78 is reenlisting. I also reenlisted and was required to resubmit for a security clearance due to being out of the service for more than two years.

Yes, I used to be a boom operator on KC-135's. That was a great job but no openings at the local ANG base.

imported_TJC78
11-09-2009, 03:07 PM

He is most likely processing NCORP. They made it a lot quicker than it used to be.

NCORP applicants usually get approved pretty quickly because their applications aren't reviewed by a board like FTA applicants. They're all reviewed and approved by one person, the Business Process Owner. Pretty sure this has been discussed before.

StevenW135
11-09-2009, 03:08 PM
Steven, it appears by the thread that AeroMech 78 is reenlisting. I also reenlisted and was required to resubmit for a security clearance due to being out of the service for more than two years.

Yes, I used to be a boom operator on KC-135's. That was a great job but no openings at the local ANG base.

Yeah, I was just saying If you had it you were good to go. What base were you on 135's? I was at Grandforks for 5 years and currently at Mcconnell.

xboomer
11-09-2009, 05:27 PM
Yeah, I was just saying If you had it you were good to go. What base were you on 135's? I was at Grandforks for 5 years and currently at Mcconnell.

Pease ANG New Hampshire.

StevenW135
11-09-2009, 08:23 PM
Pease ANG New Hampshire.

I'v been TDY there doing CORNETS a few times. Red Hook beer is pretty good.

xboomer
11-09-2009, 09:18 PM
You've got to try the "Old Brown Dog" down at the Portsmouth brewery. If you get to Portsmouth in the summer go to Harpoon Willy's down on the water front.

Just curious, are you looking to become a flight engineer?

StevenW135
11-09-2009, 09:57 PM
I'v been to the Portsmouth brewery had the sampler. It was really good. I'm not sure If i have been to Harpoon Willy's or not I do know I have had way to much to drink in New Hampshire so I could have gone.. And yes I'm a "status 5" at the moment.

Freelancer
11-09-2009, 10:15 PM
NCORP applicants usually get approved pretty quickly because their applications aren't reviewed by a board like FTA applicants. They're all reviewed and approved by one person, the Business Process Owner. Pretty sure this has been discussed before.

Before the BPO gives his approval, your current AFSC functional manager has to also give his/her approval on whether or not your current AFSC can spare the manning to do so. We've had a couple crew chiefs on the heavy/bomber side submit their packages for NCORP and they got denied by their functional manager. It's a good thing I'm a FTA and tactical crew chief. Then after you get the approval of your current AFSC functional manager and then get approved by the BPO you finally have to get approved by the FE functional manager. This is why FTA is a lot easier to cross train than NCORP. You may have a board to go through, but your current AFSC functional can't do a thing to stop you.

xboomer
11-09-2009, 10:54 PM
I'v been to the Portsmouth brewery had the sampler. It was really good. I'm not sure If i have been to Harpoon Willy's or not I do know I have had way to much to drink in New Hampshire so I could have gone.. And yes I'm a "status 5" at the moment.

Hope to see you at Kelly. I originally had a BFE school date in July, then October, then November, now they are telling me it will be in December. Good to hear you gave your liver a work out while visiting NH.

imported_AeroMech78
11-09-2009, 11:07 PM

Thanks for the tip. It's been over 7 years since I separated so, I'm sure that will be the case.

xboomer
11-10-2009, 12:40 AM
Thanks for the tip. It's been over 7 years since I separated so, I'm sure that will be the case.

I have been told anything over 2 years requires a new security clearance.

xboomer
11-10-2009, 12:47 AM
I have question for those who are at or have gone through BFE. I have a copy of AF Manual 51-9, It is not the current AFI that is being used today. However, does anyone know if the material is relevant and close to what is being taught? Perhaps someone can ask an instructor.

Thanks

onyx
11-10-2009, 03:20 AM
My class date is 08JAN for Fundies... Who else is going to be there?

Still cant find the exact list to show my RA for my initial issue though.

Jot
11-10-2009, 03:18 PM

Good luck

I didn't know Nashville was an option (maybe it's ANG only?), but the squadron is requesting Dobbins for me. Closer to home and has H2s also.

alcorh
11-10-2009, 09:13 PM
My class date is 08JAN for Fundies... Who else is going to be there?

I also start fundies on the 8th of Jan. Ill be headin down there on the 4-5th of jan from Nellis AFB.
Start BFE on the 29th of Jan

jnk
11-10-2009, 09:18 PM

Good luck

If you think flying trash cans is fun, you should try to get in the seat of a real 130 (Black wheels & no flag on the tail):eek:

onyx
11-10-2009, 10:26 PM
I also start fundies on the 8th of Jan. Ill be headin down there on the 4-5th of jan from Nellis AFB.
Start BFE on the 29th of Jan

Yup, same for me. Coming from DM

Golther
11-10-2009, 10:38 PM
Anyone who got status 5 on November 5 get their class dates yet?

StevenW135
11-10-2009, 10:43 PM
Anyone who got status 5 on November 5 get their class dates yet?

I got my status 5 Oct 5. And no dates yet.

c5engineer
11-11-2009, 01:31 AM
I didn't know Nashville was an option (maybe it's ANG only?), but the squadron is requesting Dobbins for me. Closer to home and has H2s also.

Dobbins is no longer an FTU. They do AC upgrade. We have a couple of Dobbins instructors. There is no coding for Dobbins for mission qual. Now there are two course codes for msn and those are Little Rock and Nashville. I'm reserve. I didn't get sent to Dobbins because there is no Dobbins for FE's. I just got my recommend ride from a Dobbins guy today. He was at Dobbins as a full timer for ten years and he loves Nashville the same.

As for flying "real 130's",the black tires and no flag may make it bank smoother, or perhaps it flies faster at low level because it doesn't have that burbling affect on the tail from a decal US flag.......So I'll just have to resign myself with all the cool flying a slick, trash-haulin' 130 does and try to sleep at night knowing there are things that go bump in the night. Man I am really going to hate flying our 92 H2.5's when I get home:cool:

imported_ANALYST
11-11-2009, 03:57 AM
I got my status 5 Oct 5. And no dates yet.

Same here, no dates...
I am doing what AFPC loves to tell me, which waiting patiently. They will come soon enough.

onyx
11-11-2009, 05:03 AM
What do I need to do now to get my orders?

Turn in the copies of my RIPs? Do I need to reenlist to get retainability? I dont reenlist until next August.

kenton
11-11-2009, 05:06 PM

Onyx... for Fundies and BFE you only need to bring normal uniforms and blues. Once you get your airframe assignment in BFE then you will go to your RA for equipment issue. I will show you the site when we are at lackland if you havent found it by then.

onyx
11-11-2009, 06:04 PM
Onyx... for Fundies and BFE you only need to bring normal uniforms and blues. Once you get your airframe assignment in BFE then you will go to your RA for equipment issue. I will show you the site when we are at lackland if you havent found it by then.

cool, I already talked to my RA and he said to get him all my measurements and he'll hook it up.

imported_TJC78
11-12-2009, 03:08 PM
Before the BPO gives his approval, your current AFSC functional manager has to also give his/her approval on whether or not your current AFSC can spare the manning to do so. We've had a couple crew chiefs on the heavy/bomber side submit their packages for NCORP and they got denied by their functional manager. It's a good thing I'm a FTA and tactical crew chief. Then after you get the approval of your current AFSC functional manager and then get approved by the BPO you finally have to get approved by the FE functional manager. This is why FTA is a lot easier to cross train than NCORP. You may have a board to go through, but your current AFSC functional can't do a thing to stop you.

Hmm, that sucks. I was a heavy (C-130) crew chief and had no problems getting approved. Of course, that was for FY09. Maybe things are different for FY10.

Turn in the copies of my RIPs? Do I need to reenlist to get retainability? I dont reenlist until next August.

I'm trying to remember the sequence of events. I think once you turn in your rips, someone from Formal Training or Assignments should let you know whether or not you need retainability. The ETCA says you need 48 months, but according to whatever AFI the people at the MPF use, it's 36. Chances are if you're within a year of reenlisting, you're gonna need to get retainability.

StevenW135
11-12-2009, 06:44 PM

You need 36 months..Might as well get a bonus while you can.

alcorh
11-14-2009, 07:31 AM
Question for the people down in Lackland now, Whats the schedule like for fundies and BFE? Meaning times, im guessing the classes are scheduled for 8 hours, is it acually 8 hours every day or some days shorter/longer then others.

BigBaze
11-14-2009, 08:41 AM
cool, I already talked to my RA and he said to get him all my measurements and he'll hook it up.

I see you are a 2A671A, just like I was ...now flying on the KC10 as an FE...good luck!

Jot
11-15-2009, 01:06 PM
Dobbins is no longer an FTU. They do AC upgrade. We have a couple of Dobbins instructors. There is no coding for Dobbins for mission qual. Now there are two course codes for msn and those are Little Rock and Nashville. I'm reserve. I didn't get sent to Dobbins because there is no Dobbins for FE's. I just got my recommend ride from a Dobbins guy today. He was at Dobbins as a full timer for ten years and he loves Nashville the same.

As for flying "real 130's",the black tires and no flag may make it bank smoother, or perhaps it flies faster at low level because it doesn't have that burbling affect on the tail from a decal US flag.......So I'll just have to resign myself with all the cool flying a slick, trash-haulin' 130 does and try to sleep at night knowing there are things that go bump in the night. Man I am really going to hate flying our 92 H2.5's when I get home:cool:

Hopefully I'll go to Nashville then. It's not ANG only I assume? Both ANG and Reserve?

c5engineer
11-15-2009, 02:52 PM
Hopefully I'll go to Nashville then. It's not ANG only I assume? Both ANG and Reserve?

They can instruct anyone. They are officially the foreign student training, but they also have their CCAF so that they can instruct all services. The only thing is there are two course codes. One is Little Rock for the sims and academics and then your squadron can request the other course code for FMQ. Your training manager will see it in the computer. It's no big deal to do it at all. If your training manager needs any info I'll get it to you.

I have my checkride tomorrow. Hopefully everything will go great and I'll be done. My EPE was excellent and my recommend ride had everything that could go wrong so the aircraft should cooperate nicely. Now it's just up to me.

Jot
11-15-2009, 03:34 PM
They can instruct anyone. They are officially the foreign student training, but they also have their CCAF so that they can instruct all services. The only thing is there are two course codes. One is Little Rock for the sims and academics and then your squadron can request the other course code for FMQ. Your training manager will see it in the computer. It's no big deal to do it at all. If your training manager needs any info I'll get it to you.

I have my checkride tomorrow. Hopefully everything will go great and I'll be done. My EPE was excellent and my recommend ride had everything that could go wrong so the aircraft should cooperate nicely. Now it's just up to me.

I looked for a course at Nashville in the ETCA, but nothing came up. Dobbins is still showing up for FE courses, though.

Anyhow, are you saying FIQ is still at LR, but FMQ can be done at Nashville?

c5engineer
11-16-2009, 01:22 AM
I looked for a course at Nashville in the ETCA, but nothing came up. Dobbins is still showing up for FE courses, though.

Anyhow, are you saying FIQ is still at LR, but FMQ can be done at Nashville?

You still go to Little Rock for sims and academics. You'll do FMQ academics and sims and the FIQ flying portion in the sims (its called RFIQ for reduced flying initial qual). Then you either go to the 62nd at Little Rock for flying training or if your unit requested it to Nashville.

I'm at the 105 FTU right now. My main instructor spent ten years at Dobbins as an instructor and he moved to Nashville. I don't think he would have left his expensive house, that he can't sell, if Dobbins was still the FTU. Then again stranger things have happened, but I'll ask him tomorrow. I can tell you that no one has gone to FTU at Dobbins in a year and that Nashville has had five students out of the last for classes from Little Rock. There is a guard guy with me right now.

Major Gaulin, the student squadron commander at Little Rock, was the guy who told me that there are two course codes now and that he can no longer send students to Nashville because their units have to request it.

You might end up at Dobbins, but it wasn't even an option for me and my unit definitely would have rather sent me there instead of dealing with E model stuff.

imported_TJC78
11-16-2009, 03:45 PM
Question for the people down in Lackland now, Whats the schedule like for fundies and BFE? Meaning times, im guessing the classes are scheduled for 8 hours, is it acually 8 hours every day or some days shorter/longer then others.

During Aircrew Fundies, class usually starts around 7ish and usually goes until 3:30-4pm, except on block test days. After you block test, they release you for the day. Once you get into BFE, that goes away. You MIGHT get out a little early some days, but don't count on it. I think the only early day we got was after the Block 5 test, because it's a doozy for most people.

alcorh
11-16-2009, 05:01 PM
During Aircrew Fundies, class usually starts around 7ish and usually goes until 3:30-4pm, except on block test days. After you block test, they release you for the day. Once you get into BFE, that goes away. You MIGHT get out a little early some days, but don't count on it. I think the only early day we got was after the Block 5 test, because it's a doozy for most people.

Cool, thanks for responding

imported_ANALYST
11-16-2009, 09:16 PM
Well, its the 16th and guess who does not have class dates?

Golther
11-16-2009, 09:23 PM
I'd make a phone call to AFPC.

Golther
11-16-2009, 09:26 PM
On a side note I think we might be in the same class Analylst.

imported_ANALYST
11-16-2009, 09:33 PM
Could be, maybe by the end of the week I will see something.

c5engineer
11-16-2009, 11:12 PM
Checked out Q1E and I am ready to get home. I love the 130 world. A half day EPE and a 2.5 hour checkride. For those of you in the 5 world your going to have a nice long multi-day checkride because there is more to cover. For me a single day is just fine.

Good luck to all of you.

onyx
11-16-2009, 11:22 PM
You need 36 months..Might as well get a bonus while you can.

I talked to reenlistments. For 2nd term airmen I need 36 months retainability, so I will extend for that , then when I graduate from BFE I can reenlist under that extension because it is my obligated TIS, and get the 1A1 SRB for zone B.

This is what they told me anyway. I go in for my appt tomorrow, so I will be able to see the numbers first hand.

But this is coming from the MPF so who knows. Grain of salt I suppose.

onyx
11-16-2009, 11:24 PM
I see you are a 2A671A, just like I was ...now flying on the KC10 as an FE...good luck!

Thanks, my step-father was a C-5 engineer and he loved it. I'm hoping my 2A6 background will come in handy. I have backshop F100 and flightline TF-34 experience, with running engines.

StevenW135
11-17-2009, 01:24 AM
I'd make a phone call to AFPC.

Same here..I hope tomorrow. I think all three of us will be in the same class. We'll see.

StevenW135
11-17-2009, 01:25 AM
Well, its the 16th and guess who does not have class dates?

Whoops supposed to have qouted this..

imported_tmckinley
11-17-2009, 03:10 AM
I talked to reenlistments. For 2nd term airmen I need 36 months retainability, so I will extend for that , then when I graduate from BFE I can reenlist under that extension because it is my obligated TIS, and get the 1A1 SRB for zone B.

This is what they told me anyway. I go in for my appt tomorrow, so I will be able to see the numbers first hand.

But this is coming from the MPF so who knows. Grain of salt I suppose.

Becarefull... I had to extend for 32 months for BFE and was told the same thing, well after I graduated BFE and got to Little Rock I went by reenlistments and I am not eligable to reenlist because between your extension, time left of\n currenct contract and what you reenlist for can not be for more than 6 years...and the min time you can reenlist for 3 yrs ( I believe). Also once you sign that extension paper work it yours... ONLY first term airman can reenlistt and void an extension, not second term. that extension becomes obligated service. Atleast thats what they told me...they also emailed AFPC to confirm and they said they same thing...

onyx
11-17-2009, 03:23 AM
Becarefull... I had to extend for 32 months for BFE and was told the same thing, well after I graduated BFE and got to Little Rock I went by reenlistments and I am not eligable to reenlist because between your extension, time left of\n currenct contract and what you reenlist for can not be for more than 6 years...and the min time you can reenlist for 3 yrs ( I believe). Also once you sign that extension paper work it yours... ONLY first term airman can reenlistt and void an extension, not second term. that extension becomes obligated service. Atleast thats what they told me...they also emailed AFPC to confirm and they said they same thing...

I'm not catching exactly what your saying.... You didnt get the SRB?

onyx
11-17-2009, 03:31 AM
Eh, nevermind, I re-read it. I got ya.

imported_tmckinley
11-17-2009, 03:32 AM
I'm not catching exactly what your saying.... You didnt get the SRB?

I didnt get it because I extended for 32 months I had 6 months left on current enlisment. so that put me at 40 months obligated service... which means I could have only reenlisted for 2 years and around 8 months. They told me that min time for a reenlistment is 3 or 4 years( I cant remember) So I was denied, I didnt reenlist before BFE because I would not have gotten the bonus for FE or so I was told by reenlisments at my old base.

onyx
11-17-2009, 03:39 AM
I didnt get it because I extended for 32 months I had 6 months left on current enlisment. so that put me at 40 months obligated service... which means I could have only reenlisted for 2 years and around 8 months. They told me that min time for a reenlistment is 3 or 4 years( I cant remember) So I was denied, I didnt reenlist before BFE because I would not have gotten the bonus for FE or so I was told by reenlisments at my old base.

Shit. I have 10 months right now and then they want me to extend for 36. So 46 months obligated, would leave me with 2 years 2 months only able to reenlist.... I will have to bring that up, because they literally told me over the phone that I WOULD be able to reenlist and get the SRB when I came back to home base after BFE graduation.... Ugh, where's the reg for this?

imported_tmckinley
11-17-2009, 03:47 AM
Shit. I have 10 months right now and then they want me to extend for 36. So 46 months obligated, would leave me with 2 years 2 months only able to reenlist.... I will have to bring that up, because they literally told me over the phone that I WOULD be able to reenlist and get the SRB when I came back to home base after BFE graduation.... Ugh, where's the reg for this?

AFI 36-2606 Good luck to you I hope it works out for you. They other thing I was told in BFE that if you are not staying at your current base as a FE the functional will not approve your bonus because you are not doing that job at your base. That is in the AFI, but I knew people that reelisted before BFE and got the bonus...its a crap shoot with the bonus. good luck. Let us know what happens.

onyx
11-17-2009, 03:50 AM
AFI 36-2606 Good luck to you I hope it works out for you. They other thing I was told in BFE that if you are not staying at your current base as a FE the functional will not approve your bonus because you are not doing that job at your base. That is in the AFI, but I knew people that reelisted before BFE and got the bonus...its a crap shoot with the bonus. good luck. Let us know what happens.

I was unaware you could reenlist before BFE and get the bonus without having the AFSC coding under your name. I talked to the FE functional already and he said he was keeping me at DM (what he said anyway) so I should be set in that department. Maybe I should just reenlist now and sell some of my leave days to make some quick cash.

onyx
11-17-2009, 04:32 AM
AFI 36-2606

2.10. Eligibility for Retrainees.
Airmen attain SRB eligibility when they qualify for and serve in an
SRB-designated skill.

2.10.1. Retrainees must possess the 3-skill level in the retraining skill, and report to their first permanent
duty station following training, before they can reenlist or extend for the SRB. (EXCEPTION:
Retrainees into Air Traffic Control may not reenlist for an SRB until award of SEI 053, 056, or 364 to
their PAFSC, 2AFSC, etc. CAFSC SEIs are not considered.) Retrainees who receive an assignment
while attending training, and must reenlist for the required retainability, may be eligible for a waiver
according to Table 3.5., item 4.

2.10.2. When airmen must reenlist to obtain retraining retainability, their CAFSCs and retraining-in
AFSCs determine SRB eligibility and the multiple as indicated below:

2.10.2.1. Airmen retraining from an SRB skill to another SRB skill with an equal multiple are eligible
for the SRB at the same multiple.

2.10.2.2. Airmen retraining from an SRB skill to another SRB skill with a higher or lower multiple
are eligible for the SRB at the multiple for the current skill, or the retraining-in skill, whichever
is lower.

2.10.2.3. Airmen aren’t eligible for the SRB if they’re retraining from a non-SRB skill to an SRB
skill, or from an SRB skill to a non-SRB skill.

Looks like above pertains to me. Guess I'm going to reenlist.

imported_ANALYST
11-17-2009, 12:35 PM
I went on the portal this morning and I saw AFPC has scheduled maintenance. This might have something to do with why the dates did not come out as expected. I will keep posting as I find out more.

alcorh
11-17-2009, 07:22 PM
Thanks, my step-father was a C-5 engineer and he loved it. I'm hoping my 2A6 background will come in handy. I have backshop F100 and flightline TF-34 experience, with running engines.

Onyx, are you currently workin TF34s? If so where at? Im at Nellis workin on A10s--TF34s on the line. This is the 5Th motor i've worked and seems to be very easy. Very reliable engine.

onyx
11-17-2009, 08:55 PM
Onyx, are you currently workin TF34s? If so where at? Im at Nellis workin on A10s--TF34s on the line. This is the 5Th motor i've worked and seems to be very easy. Very reliable engine.

I'm at DM right now, flightline. I was at Thunder back in 06 for the CTU training shit for our jets transitioning to C models.

alcorh
11-17-2009, 09:28 PM
I'm at DM right now, flightline. I was at Thunder back in 06 for the CTU training shit for our jets transitioning to C models.

Nice, I've only been here a year and a half but outta here in Jan for fundies. Just hopin that i dont get stuck back here on hh60s.
I was down at DM in Aug for the 2 FTDs we have down there

onyx
11-17-2009, 10:40 PM
went and talked to reenlistments today. So I need 48 months retainability from BFE graduation. So if I extended to my DOS after graduation I would have 6 months obligated TIS and I would need 42 more months to extend to get 48.

That would put my next reenlistment date at Mar 2013 , which would mean I could only reenlist for 2 years which is under the minimum of 3 years for a reenlistment, since I can only reenlist for a maximum of 6.

So i'm going to reenlist next week. I will be able to make zone C for SRB next time I reenlist, if there is still one.

Gunner7
11-18-2009, 01:09 PM
went and talked to reenlistments today. So I need 48 months retainability from BFE graduation. So if I extended to my DOS after graduation I would have 6 months obligated TIS and I would need 42 more months to extend to get 48.

That would put my next reenlistment date at Mar 2013 , which would mean I could only reenlist for 2 years which is under the minimum of 3 years for a reenlistment, since I can only reenlist for a maximum of 6.

So i'm going to reenlist next week. I will be able to make zone C for SRB next time I reenlist, if there is still one.

Where are they getting 48 months from? 36-2107 (ADSC) calls for 36 months for CEAs attending flight training.

StevenW135
11-18-2009, 05:26 PM
I went on the portal this morning and I saw AFPC has scheduled maintenance. This might have something to do with why the dates did not come out as expected. I will keep posting as I find out more.

I just got off the phone with AFPC, yet again its some old man yelling at me and telling me it can take longer than six weeks due to 5000 people cross training.. It must be nice to take 4 months to finish a job.

onyx
11-18-2009, 06:52 PM
Where are they getting 48 months from? 36-2107 (ADSC) calls for 36 months for CEAs attending flight training.

She got it off of the ETCA site. Its says under the class requirements that I need to have 48 months from graduation of class of Initial Entry.

Gunner7
11-18-2009, 07:21 PM
She got it off of the ETCA site. Its says under the class requirements that I need to have 48 months from graduation of class of Initial Entry.

Great good for her!!!! Here is an extract from the ETCA General Procedures page:

1.2.7. AF Members
Check AFI 36-2107, Active Duty Service Commitments (ADSC) for any course they attend. AFI 36-2107 is the final authority on ADSC. Consult the supporting FSS/FSMP/FSMC or AFPC monitor to resolve any question relating to ADSCs.

From what I gather the ETCA requirement of 48 months takes a back seat to the AFI.

onyx
11-18-2009, 07:46 PM
Great good for her!!!! Here is an extract from the ETCA General Procedures page:

1.2.7. AF Members
Check AFI 36-2107, Active Duty Service Commitments (ADSC) for any course they attend. AFI 36-2107 is the final authority on ADSC. Consult the supporting FSS/FSMP/FSMC or AFPC monitor to resolve any question relating to ADSCs.

From what I gather the ETCA requirement of 48 months takes a back seat to the AFI.

Terrific. Welp, there is always next time... Hopefully.

Golther
11-18-2009, 09:06 PM
I just got off the phone with AFPC, yet again its some old man yelling at me and telling me it can take longer than six weeks due to 5000 people cross training.. It must be nice to take 4 months to finish a job.

Quote AFPC
Self-Service Actions, Retraining, Retraining Application Status Inquiry.

Status “3” is pending approval or disapproval action
Status “5” is tentative approval, allow up to 6 weeks for allocation of class seats
Status “6” is approved, class seats allocated

I don't know how he can say it can take longer than 6 weeks.

imported_ANALYST
11-18-2009, 09:38 PM
Quote AFPC
Self-Service Actions, Retraining, Retraining Application Status Inquiry.

Status “3” is pending approval or disapproval action
Status “5” is tentative approval, allow up to 6 weeks for allocation of class seats
Status “6” is approved, class seats allocated

I don't know how he can say it can take longer than 6 weeks.

Well, I called on the 16th of Nov and I talked to the same guy and got the same story. He then told me that there are a lot of 1A1's that have been waiting longer than six weeks for class dates.

xboomer
11-18-2009, 10:14 PM
Well, I called on the 16th of Nov and I talked to the same guy and got the same story. He then told me that there are a lot of 1A1's that have been waiting longer than six weeks for class dates.

I do not have the same problem as you guy's, however, I have been waiting for a class date for over 6 months!

imported_ANALYST
11-18-2009, 10:23 PM
I do not have the same problem as you guy's, however, I have been waiting for a class date for over 6 months!

Man, that has to be crazy. What is the big hold up, if you dont mind me asking?

xboomer
11-18-2009, 11:36 PM
Man, that has to be crazy. What is the big hold up, if you dont mind me asking?

Where do I start, let's see. I had to wait 13 weeks to get my Flight physical approved (lost on someones desk). Now I have been waiting 8 weeks for my security clearance and just found out that something is wrong with the documentation. I can not get a class date until it is cleared up. I also have to re certify in the altitude chamber prior to BFE. But can't do that until my security clearance paper work is all set.

I was originally told that I would have a class date in late July,then it was October, then it was November. Now I do not know when its going to be.

StevenW135
11-18-2009, 11:37 PM

Are you a status 5? Or is it totally differnt for guard/reserve?

xboomer
11-19-2009, 12:07 AM
Are you a status 5? Or is it totally differnt for guard/reserve?

Totally different. A few members of the unit interviewed the same time as I did for the position and they are already at Lackland. I have been out of the Airforce for a while so I had to basically start all over again even though I was a prior aircrew member.

In the Reserves and Guard you have to interview and be accepted with the section that you are going to be assigned with. So you already know what airframe and base you are going to be at.

onyx
11-19-2009, 04:40 AM
I was looking at the per diem rates and I noticed that Lackland is the same as Kelly. I thought Lackland was lower?

StevenW135
11-19-2009, 01:37 PM
I was looking at the per diem rates and I noticed that Lackland is the same as Kelly. I thought Lackland was lower?

Thats if you stay off base from Lackland. Kelly does not have a DFAC.

DDC
11-20-2009, 02:04 PM
Does anyone happen to know what Airframes and duty locations are available for FEs overseas?

imported_TJC78
11-20-2009, 03:11 PM
Does anyone happen to know what Airframes and duty locations are available for FEs overseas?

UH-1N Yokota
HH-60 Kadena & Mildenhall
C-130 Yokota & Ramstein(?) not sure if they're still at Ramstein
MC-130P Kadena & Mildenhall

I'm sure I'm missing a few but that's what I know of off the top of my head.

Max Power
11-20-2009, 09:44 PM
UH-1N Yokota

Ramstein has J's now so no FE's anymore there.

imported_CV22chief
11-21-2009, 03:54 AM
So, I made it thru SERE School and it SUCKED.. met some really cool people though. now just waiting on IQT in Feb...I can not wait to get the hell out of here. Good luck to all the guys just starting its a long process, but well worth it!

DDC
11-22-2009, 01:40 PM
UH-1N Yokota

Thanks for the answers...I'm currently in the process of retraining into the FE career field and currently stationed at RAF LAkenheath UK. I was wondering if these were all the airframes for duty stations overseas because was really considering staying overseas after cross training. Also do you think if i submit my package for retraining this Monday it will make it in time for the November board?

bcoco14
11-22-2009, 02:40 PM
Thanks for the answers...I'm currently in the process of retraining into the FE career field and currently stationed at RAF LAkenheath UK. I was wondering if these were all the airframes for duty stations overseas because was really considering staying overseas after cross training. Also do you think if i submit my package for retraining this Monday it will make it in time for the November board?

You wont be overseas for your first duty assgnment unless you retrain into a AFSC with an overseas imbalance.

DDC
11-22-2009, 10:08 PM
Does anyone happen to know all the possible duty stations for stateside and airframes that are available for newly cross trained FEs coming from overseas?

FrkyMnky1487
11-23-2009, 12:09 PM
Just curious, how long did it take for everyones initial request for retraining to go through? I submitted mine 2 weeks ago and still havent heard anything back from AFPC.

imported_ANALYST
11-23-2009, 01:37 PM
Just curious, how long did it take for everyones initial request for retraining to go through? I submitted mine 2 weeks ago and still havent heard anything back from AFPC.

Here is my timeline:

07/08/2009...Submitted initial retraining request
07/10/2009...Received my AFSC quals and all required information to submit package
(Long wait due to Flight Physical and Commander Signatures for waivers and such)
09/14/2009...Submitted my package for Commander Approval and narrative
09/15/2009...Received Commanders approval but Aerospace Medicine forgot my Form 422
09/18/2009...submitted Form 422
09/21/2009...AFSC Feeder Waiver went to 1A111 CFM for review, after approval application is officially submitted to AFPC
09/24/2009...Application received, now pending board selection aka Stats (3)
10/05/2009...Met the Board and approved aka Status (5)
11/23/2009...Awaiting class dates

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any questions.

imported_TJC78
11-23-2009, 06:43 PM

If you'll go back and read a little, you'll notice that everyone has different experiences when it comes to the retraining process. Not trying to sound like an ass, but there is no definite timeline in dealing with the hell known as the AFPC Retraining Office.

FrkyMnky1487
11-23-2009, 08:50 PM
If you'll go back and read a little, you'll notice that everyone has different experiences when it comes to the retraining process. Not trying to sound like an ass, but there is no definite timeline in dealing with the hell known as the AFPC Retraining Office.

Ive read through this thread a few times now and didnt really notice anyone saying how long it took once you requested to retrain. I know things can take a while with AFPC, but for the most part people have show what to expect and aprox how long it should take so you can take matters into your own hands if it starts taking forever. Thats all I am trying to get as no one I work with has retrained before.

imported_ANALYST
11-23-2009, 08:58 PM
Ive read through this thread a few times now and didnt really notice anyone saying how long it took once you requested to retrain. I know things can take a while with AFPC, but for the most part people have show what to expect and aprox how long it should take so you can take matters into your own hands if it starts taking forever. Thats all I am trying to get as no one I work with has retrained before.

Hey, did the timeline help any? I might have gotten a bit carried away.

FrkyMnky1487
11-24-2009, 06:05 AM
Well good information and bad I guess. My supervisor got the email saying that I am good to retrain, however I did not get it because they sent it to my previous base email. I cannot for the life of me find anywhere to update the email they are using. Also, becuase they have my old email on file, I have not received the email that tells me what specifically I need for my AFSC. Can anyone help me out with this so I can get started on my package.

Freelancer
11-24-2009, 12:11 PM
Well good information and bad I guess. My supervisor got the email saying that I am good to retrain, however I did not get it because they sent it to my previous base email. I cannot for the life of me find anywhere to update the email they are using. Also, becuase they have my old email on file, I have not received the email that tells me what specifically I need for my AFSC. Can anyone help me out with this so I can get started on my package.

They use your info from either vMPF under personal settings or under your profile on AFPC on-line. Check your profiles on both of those systems and ensure they are up to date.

alcorh
11-24-2009, 01:15 PM

If that doesnt work, Just call AFPC and ask them what email they sent your info to. They will beable to pull it up and make changes and resend if need be. Only down side with doin that is you will prolly be on hold for a few hours, yeah hours. happened to me once.

bcoco14
11-24-2009, 02:30 PM

If you look in your mystuff it will have everything you need to do listed in there.

bcoco14
11-24-2009, 02:36 PM
I have a theory for all you guys waiting on class dates. They probably don't have enough of you to make a class and seeing as they aren't processing any NCO packages until the NCORP is over and they can't force cross train anyone into this job. Maybe that is why its taking so long for class dates.

Again I have nothing to back up my claim just a thought that I had.

StevenW135
11-24-2009, 02:42 PM
I have a theory for all you guys waiting on class dates. They probably don't have enough of you to make a class and seeing as they aren't processing any NCO packages until the NCORP is over and they can't force cross train anyone into this job. Maybe that is why its taking so long for class dates.

Again I have nothing to back up my claim just a thought that I had.

Well if your right well see after the month is up...

fallenight
11-24-2009, 05:52 PM
well flight physical got approved so hopefully i get forms tommrow can get them scaned in and submit package tommrow wish me luck.

akruse
11-24-2009, 06:33 PM
well flight physical got approved so hopefully i get forms tommrow can get them scaned in and submit package tommrow wish me luck.

Don't forget the 422. Public Health and Flt Med hemmed and hawed back and forth over mine.

CBRrider
11-25-2009, 11:27 PM
have you heard anything on class dates? i was also status 5 on 10/05/09. my DOS is jan and called afpc and they told me to just keep waiting.

Golther
11-25-2009, 11:32 PM
Nothing for me I am status 5 as of Nov 5, I dunno I wonder if all of our classes are full up by new aircrew airmen for Fundies. If there wasn't enough people for a FE class schedule I think they should have already just started one for you all that have been waiting for over 6 weeks for their dates.

imported_ANALYST
11-26-2009, 12:19 AM
Nothing for me I am status 5 as of Nov 5, I dunno I wonder if all of our classes are full up by new aircrew airmen for Fundies. If there wasn't enough people for a FE class schedule I think they should have already just stated one for you all that have been waiting for over 6 weeks for their dates.

have you heard anything on class dates? i was also status 5 on 10/05/09. my DOS is jan and called afpc and they told me to just keep waiting.

I knew there was one more person on here for status five Oct 5th. Well, I have sent a couple of request on My Stuff and I have not heard anything back from AFPC.

Spunjah413
11-27-2009, 10:22 PM
You wont be overseas for your first duty assgnment unless you retrain into a AFSC with an overseas imbalance.

Which is a true statement, Altho it IS possible. 2 guys I knew in classes befor me in BFE got Yokota. 1 on UH-1 and the other on 130's.

bcoco14
11-27-2009, 10:47 PM
Which is a true statement, Altho it IS possible. 2 guys I knew in classes befor me in BFE got Yokota. 1 on UH-1 and the other on 130's.

Good to know

Jot
11-29-2009, 04:49 PM
You still go to Little Rock for sims and academics. You'll do FMQ academics and sims and the FIQ flying portion in the sims (its called RFIQ for reduced flying initial qual). Then you either go to the 62nd at Little Rock for flying training or if your unit requested it to Nashville.

I'm at the 105 FTU right now. My main instructor spent ten years at Dobbins as an instructor and he moved to Nashville. I don't think he would have left his expensive house, that he can't sell, if Dobbins was still the FTU. Then again stranger things have happened, but I'll ask him tomorrow. I can tell you that no one has gone to FTU at Dobbins in a year and that Nashville has had five students out of the last for classes from Little Rock. There is a guard guy with me right now.

Major Gaulin, the student squadron commander at Little Rock, was the guy who told me that there are two course codes now and that he can no longer send students to Nashville because their units have to request it.

You might end up at Dobbins, but it wasn't even an option for me and my unit definitely would have rather sent me there instead of dealing with E model stuff.

My squadron requested Dobbins, and they tell me that FE's are still training there (as of right now, but who knows for how long). We'll see what happens....

imported_TJC78
11-30-2009, 03:14 PM

That would be me. :) Oh, and the other guy that got C-130s at Yokota failed out in Block 5.

Max Power
11-30-2009, 05:37 PM
That would be me. :) Oh, and the other guy that got C-130s at Yokota failed out in Block 5.

And is now a UAV Sensor Operator....if he made it through that school.

imported_ANALYST
11-30-2009, 05:54 PM
And is now a UAV Sensor Operator....if he made it through that school.

How did he get to do that. I thought you just go back to your unit if you fail out. I may be confused, can you set me straight?

imported_TJC78
11-30-2009, 07:55 PM
How did he get to do that. I thought you just go back to your unit if you fail out. I may be confused, can you set me straight?

Apparently with the new sensor operator career field, BFE flunkees have a choice to retrain into that or go back to their old job.

imported_ANALYST
11-30-2009, 08:09 PM
Apparently with the new sensor operator career field, BFE flunkees have a choice to retrain into that or go back to their old job.

Oh, okay. I just had to ask. They say, the sensor operator course is pretty challenging too. I have looked at some of the TOLD charts for C-130's and C-5's, I can see how people mess up on them. If you dont pay attention to detail, you can really mess it up.

BigBaze
11-30-2009, 10:12 PM

yep one of my buddies even passed BFE, but blew his knee out in SERE and got offered the UAV job but declined and I guess he is back at his old job

nman8119
11-30-2009, 10:48 PM
Is there anybody that is at San Antonio, staying on kelly side now? I just got here and was wondering how long it takes to get from kelly to School house?

JENNYTHING
11-30-2009, 10:54 PM
Is there anybody that is at San Antonio, staying on kelly side now? I just got here and was wondering how long it takes to get from kelly to School house?

Not there right now but I left 2 days ago... It takes about 15 min to get to the school house from Kelly. Most mornings I left the hotel at 0640 to give me some extra time just in case... better safe than sorry was my theory.

nman8119
11-30-2009, 10:57 PM
Not there right now but I left 2 days ago... It takes about 15 min to get to the school house from Kelly. Most mornings I left the hotel at 0640 to give me some extra time just in case... better safe than sorry was my theory.

Thanks You just graduate?

JENNYTHING
11-30-2009, 11:11 PM
I did infact just graduate, last week Wed to be exact.

nman8119
11-30-2009, 11:14 PM
I did infact just graduate, last week Wed to be exact.

Awesome Congrads!!! What airframe you get? Any Advice other then Study study study?

Golther
11-30-2009, 11:18 PM
I'm just wondering if any of us in status 5 got class dates yet? If not, I am going to throw out one more theory. They may be waiting on the next selections that are getting selected today. Any thoughts?

JENNYTHING
11-30-2009, 11:23 PM
I got C-5s really excited about that. Studying is definitely key, it was strongly recommended to us to do group study. And go in there with an open mind, listen to the instructors they know what they're talking about. And most importantly have fun, I sure did...

nman8119
11-30-2009, 11:27 PM
I got C-5s really excited about that. Studying is definitely key, it was strongly recommended to us to do group study. And go in there with an open mind, listen to the instructors they know what they're talking about. And most importantly have fun, I sure did...

Sweet, well I am definitely going in their with an open mind. Thanks for the tip though too!! Dover or Travis? I would like C5 or KC10 but if not then thats cool as long as I am a FE

JENNYTHING
11-30-2009, 11:38 PM
Sweet, well I am definitely going in their with an open mind. Thanks for the tip though too!! Dover or Travis? I would like C5 or KC10 but if not then thats cool as long as I am a FE

pm'd you...

alcorh
12-01-2009, 12:42 AM

How about everyone esle that was in your class? DId everyone get what they wanted or is it really hit or miss from your dream sheet

BigBaze
12-01-2009, 01:01 AM

Congrats, Jenny...I graduated July 2008 and I am already going on my second deployment with the KC10 out of McGuire..my roomates and a lot of the guys here are ex C-5 engineers, and you'll have your work cut out for you with that big fella but just stay in the books!

JENNYTHING
12-01-2009, 01:06 AM
How about everyone esle that was in your class? DId everyone get what they wanted or is it really hit or miss from your dream sheet

Majority of my class was overseas returnees so they all had their assignments already. But for the two of us that didn't, we both got our number one pics. Mine being C-5s and his being CV-22s. The class a week behind us had a lot more people that needed assignments and none of them were disappointed. There is a method to how they do assignments that the functional explained to us, pretty much the factors include your time on station, dates of training available and openings for that air frame, etc. He then tries to match you up as high as he can on your list.

Congrats, Jenny...I graduated July 2008 and I am already going on my second deployment with the KC10 out of McGuire..my roomates and a lot of the guys here are ex C-5 engineers, and you'll have your work cut out for you with that big fella but just stay in the books!

Thank you. I'm sure it will be a challenge but it is one that I am looking forward to, I will def stay in the books.
Have fun on your deployment, I've always enjoyed the extra money that accompanies a deployment!

CBRrider
12-01-2009, 04:25 AM
I'm just wondering if any of us in status 5 got class dates yet? If not, I am going to throw out one more theory. They may be waiting on the next selections that are getting selected today. Any thoughts?

i havnt heard anyting, however i have had all the right people call AFPC on my behalf and they will not tell anyone anything. im not really sure what we can do other than wait.

imported_TJC78
12-01-2009, 03:49 PM
yep one of my buddies even passed BFE, but blew his knee out in SERE and got offered the UAV job but declined and I guess he is back at his old job

I know exactly who you're talking about, he was in the class ahead of me and Max Power. Sh*tty luck, I probably would have bandaged up my knee as much as possible and pressed on, there is no way in hell I would go back to my old career field.

I wonder if that guy in our class actually made it through the sensor operator course...he was a real piece of work. It took all my constraint not to knock his head off his shoulders most days.

imported_ANALYST
12-01-2009, 04:03 PM
I know exactly who you're talking about, he was in the class ahead of me and Max Power. Sh*tty luck, I probably would have bandaged up my knee as much as possible and pressed on, there is no way in hell I would go back to my old career field.

I wonder if that guy in our class actually made it through the sensor operator course...he was a real piece of work. It took all my constraint not to knock his head off his shoulders most days.

Was the guy just a idiot or did he just act like he knew everything? Did this guy group study with the class?

imported_TJC78
12-01-2009, 04:18 PM
Was the guy just a idiot or did he just act like he knew everything? Did this guy group study with the class?

Idiot would be an understatement, but he also acted like he knew everything. Kinda like when he said the reason I got ants in my car is because I ran my A/C, or when he tried to argue with me that there was more than one MAIN entrance to the Kelly Inn.

We gave the dude plenty of opportunities to group study with us, but he only came down once, and only stuck around for a few minutes at that.

fallenight
12-01-2009, 04:35 PM
got all my paperwork and it is now at my commander had trouble looking at my attachments but mpe says it is fine on there end so should be approving me soon. wish me luck.

imported_ANALYST
12-01-2009, 05:57 PM
Idiot would be an understatement, but he also acted like he knew everything. Kinda like when he said the reason I got ants in my car is because I ran my A/C, or when he tried to argue with me that there was more than one MAIN entrance to the Kelly Inn.

We gave the dude plenty of opportunities to group study with us, but he only came down once, and only stuck around for a few minutes at that.

Well, that guy was on the right path to FAIL. I have talked to a lot of people and that is always the main thing I hear from them. Group study and attention to detail with TOLD and everything else of course. Was this guy set on being a Flight Engineer or did he give up on it after a while. I apologize for all the questions, it is the only thing I can do to distract me from checking on my class dates.

imported_ANALYST
12-01-2009, 06:08 PM
got all my paperwork and it is now at my commander had trouble looking at my attachments but mpe says it is fine on there end so should be approving me soon. wish me luck.

Much LUCK to you, keep us informed on your progress. Its pretty crazy what Commanders put in the narrative. My commander slipped some low manning information in there but all in all, they were all good things.

imported_TJC78
12-01-2009, 10:35 PM
Well, that guy was on the right path to FAIL. I have talked to a lot of people and that is always the main thing I hear from them. Group study and attention to detail with TOLD and everything else of course. Was this guy set on being a Flight Engineer or did he give up on it after a while. I apologize for all the questions, it is the only thing I can do to distract me from checking on my class dates.

Honestly, I have no idea what the dude's deal was. He'd say that he was going to group study with us, but he would never show up. I don't know if it was the case that he decided he didn't want to be an flight engineer and just stopped trying, or that he really was some REALLY dense dude that just didn't get it. I'm pretty convinced it's the latter, though.

Now, I won't sit here and tell you that group study is a MUST. I'm sure people have passed without it. However, you're only increasing your chances to succeed if you do find a good study group of 3-4 people. Any more than 4 can be a little distracting, so I'd keep it minimal.

BTW, don't worry about asking too many questions, that's what this thread is here for. However, and this goes for EVERYONE...PLEASE at least skim through everything before asking, there are a ton of questions on here that have been answered multiple times. Think of it this way- FEs are given WAY more responsibility than pretty much any other enlisted career field...that being said, your instructors are not going to hand out all the answers on a silver platter, you're going to be expected to search them out for yourselves. Think of this thread as a little preparation. :)

imported_ANALYST
12-01-2009, 10:53 PM
Honestly, I have no idea what the dude's deal was. He'd say that he was going to group study with us, but he would never show up. I don't know if it was the case that he decided he didn't want to be an flight engineer and just stopped trying, or that he really was some REALLY dense dude that just didn't get it. I'm pretty convinced it's the latter, though.

Now, I won't sit here and tell you that group study is a MUST. I'm sure people have passed without it. However, you're only increasing your chances to succeed if you do find a good study group of 3-4 people. Any more than 4 can be a little distracting, so I'd keep it minimal.

BTW, don't worry about asking too many questions, that's what this thread is here for. However, and this goes for EVERYONE...PLEASE at least skim through everything before asking, there are a ton of questions on here that have been answered multiple times. Think of it this way- FEs are given WAY more responsibility than pretty much any other enlisted career field...that being said, your instructors are not going to hand out all the answers on a silver platter, you're going to be expected to search them out for yourselves. Think of this thread as a little preparation. :)

Thanks man, I have read every page on this thread and I can say that people do ask the same questions. I have checked out the 51-9 and I can say, there is a lot of information in there.
I have a pretty good copy of it if anyone needs it. It is not the copied one from C-141 Heaven either. Just let me know and I will get it too you or get you to it. Just let me know.

TheDude
12-01-2009, 11:04 PM
Anybody know the reg that states that your losing unit pays for all of your required items for IQT?

alcorh
12-02-2009, 12:26 AM
I have also read this entire post to prepare as much as possible for fundies and BFE in Jan. But for some reason i cant find the many pages that say what paperwork you need to bring with you to fundies. Can someone shed some light on that please. Think it was your 422 and a 10.. something. Any info would be greatly appriciated on what to bring with you besides the basics. ABUs/ Blues and PT gear.

Max Power
12-02-2009, 01:25 AM
I have also read this entire post to prepare as much as possible for fundies and BFE in Jan. But for some reason i cant find the many pages that say what paperwork you need to bring with you to fundies. Can someone shed some light on that please. Think it was your 422 and a 10.. something. Any info would be greatly appriciated on what to bring with you besides the basics. ABUs/ Blues and PT gear.

1042. The most important paper of your new career. Make sure it's current so you are not DNIF and can't go to the chamber. Other than that bring orders, medical records and the 422.

alcorh
12-02-2009, 01:29 AM
1042. The most important paper of your new career. Make sure it's current so you are not DNIF and can't go to the chamber. Other than that bring orders, medical records and the 422.

the 1042 that i have was good for a year. got it in aug 2009 and exp aug 2010. will that be current enough? i go to bfe jan-mar

Max Power
12-02-2009, 01:29 AM
Anybody know the reg that states that your losing unit pays for all of your required items for IQT? My squadron doesn't want to come up off that money!!! (they say they don't have any money & then tried to make me feel guilty by saying I was taking away money for cold weather gear for the people on the flightline-) WOW

AFMAN 23-110, Vol 2, Pt 2, Chapter 23, Paragraphs 23.34.1.1 and 23.34.1.3.2

Max Power
12-02-2009, 01:30 AM
the 1042 that i have was good for a year. got it in aug 2009 and exp aug 2010. will that be current enough? i go to bfe jan-mar

As long as it lasts you through your training.

jnk
12-02-2009, 02:31 AM
ughh. I NEVER went to a "group study" & I was Honor Grad. (not that it means anything) 12 people started in my class & 4 of us graduated. (none of the 4 went to "group Study")

imported_ANALYST
12-02-2009, 02:35 AM
ughh. I NEVER went to a "group study" & I was Honor Grad. (not that it means anything) 12 people started in my class & 4 of us graduated. (none of the 4 went to "group Study")

Where did they go wrong?

Spunjah413
12-02-2009, 05:30 AM
I will say I think me and my buddies over studied, but in the end it helped. I will say that if you have a class 8+ to break down into smaller groups to study. Also study groups are good to do during the Block 5 TOLD, for the mere fact that each of you can make up a practice problem and see what answers each of you get, which will also show you if you were wrong or right (hard to tell if you did your told card right when working solo, especially since you will be very new at this)

TheDude
12-02-2009, 02:17 PM

Damn, were the other 8 studying another course or sumthin? I guess it all boils down to your classes' group dynamics- group study helped us out a lot, and as we got to know each other we were able to see when certain people were getting frustrated with certain things (myself included) and then we were able to focus on giving them a little extra help--- we all graduated, with the exception of one.

imported_TJC78
12-02-2009, 03:08 PM

Holy crap, 8 out of 12 people failed out of your class?! That's ridiculous. Sounds like a problem with the instructor/s. Either that, or those 8 people partied too hard or just didn't try, but still...to lose that many people? That's almost hard to believe.

imported_TJC78
12-02-2009, 03:16 PM
I will say I think me and my buddies over studied, but in the end it helped. I will say that if you have a class 8+ to break down into smaller groups to study. Also study groups are good to do during the Block 5 TOLD, for the mere fact that each of you can make up a practice problem and see what answers each of you get, which will also show you if you were wrong or right (hard to tell if you did your told card right when working solo, especially since you will be very new at this)

Very true. You can have 5 people do a TOLD card and come up with 5 different answers. As long as you're within the block values, you're good to go, but it does help to have other people to compare your answers with.

imported_ANALYST
12-02-2009, 03:33 PM
Holy crap, 8 out of 12 people failed out of your class?! That's ridiculous. Sounds like a problem with the instructor/s. Either that, or those 8 people partied too hard or just didn't try, but still...to lose that many people? That's almost hard to believe.

So, these guys failed out completely or washed back to another class?

JENNYTHING
12-02-2009, 03:35 PM
Damn, were the other 8 studying another course or sumthin? I guess it all boils down to your classes' group dynamics- group study helped us out a lot, and as we got to know each other we were able to see when certain people were getting frustrated with certain things (myself included) and then we were able to focus on giving them a little extra help--- we all graduated, with the exception of one.

Sounds like the class that had 5 people come down with the swine flu, while I was there :rolleyes:

jnk
12-02-2009, 07:11 PM
I went through a little over 2 years ago, right during the transition from civilians to military instructors. It's not the instructors fault that people failed out. I barely cracked a book & graduated with a 99%. I think the problem with my class is they were mostly ETP's. We also had AGE & missile guys fail out. Out of the 8 that washed back, only 1 graduated at a later time. I don't really understand how missile guys & AGE rangers don't need an ETP.

imported_ANALYST
12-02-2009, 07:27 PM
I went through a little over 2 years ago, right during the transition from civilians to military instructors. It's not the instructors fault that people failed out. I barely cracked a book & graduated with a 99%. I think the problem with my class is they were mostly ETP's. We also had AGE & missile guys fail out. Out of the 8 that washed back, only 1 graduated at a later time. I don't really understand how missile guys & AGE rangers don't need an ETP.

I have heard of those that barely crack the book and still Graduate. I spoke with a Prior E & E guy and he said he had to study a ton. I guess it just was not clicking for him. He graduated non the less. Did it just all come together for you or what?

imported_ANALYST
12-02-2009, 09:04 PM
Well, I got some really good news for those that are awaiting dates. Please PM me for further information.
Just to say, someone dropped the ball...

Straz1999
12-02-2009, 10:59 PM
Well if your right well see after the month is up...

Don't worry Steve, you just got recoded is all. You're gonna be a boom now. I bet when we go on our next tdy the boom will show you how it works.

I haven't seen you in your office lately, either. Isn't it time for a Big Texas?

kenton
12-03-2009, 02:44 AM
Ramstein has J's now so no FE's anymore there.

Ramstein still has the G-5 oil checkers... uh I mean FE's. and there are FE's at Hickam and somewhere in Alaska

Golther
12-03-2009, 05:17 PM
Just checked for my class dates and I start Fundies February 26 and BFE on March 18. Anyone else have the same days?

imported_ANALYST
12-03-2009, 05:44 PM
Just checked for my class dates and I start Fundies February 26 and BFE on March 18. Anyone else have the same days?

Yeah, I got my dates too and they are later than yours. Aircrew Fundies 02 Apr and BFE 22 Apr. Man I will sew on Staff while I am at BFE. Good luck to everyone.

Golther
12-03-2009, 05:51 PM
Odd...but oh well at least we are not waiting on the edge of our sets now. :)