PDA

View Full Version : Flight Engineer retraining

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

c5engineer
09-09-2009, 07:32 PM
How long have you been going through the school house at Little Rock? How is it going and how much time are you putting in on a typical training week? Ever leave the state on the weekends? I just passed month 3 for my physical and my would-be section chief is climbing the walls trying to get answers.

Started May 19th and next week is the last week before the actual flying phase. During FIQ academics you'll be out of class by 12:30-1:00 every day and probably have two schedule adjust days (we never had to do any training on these days) a month plus holidays when they come up are usually four dayers. Once you get to the sim portion then your schedule goes haywire and you may have three or four day weekends for about three weeks. After that it's back in class for the mission qual portion which is a week and a half and then back into the sims for three weeks. At the end it is preflight training and four ground training sessions to brush up on systems knowledge and then we have about a week off before we hit the flight line.

I'm doing my flying at Nashville so I'll have even more time before I start flying. According to the training manager I spoke with at the 62AS (flying training) there are 22 training days after that. 11 ground training days and 11 flights including your recommend ride and your checkride. So, if your coming down here it's about a 5.5 month journey to fully qualified crewmember. Then you go back home and get 90 days of differences training (unless your unit is flying the E model, which I doubt). No checkride for that just rides with an instructor giving you local indoc and the differences between the E model and whatever you fly.

Lockheed courseware sucks, but the instructors are great. Sims are okay. The worst part is learning all of the E model specific stuff and knowing you'll never touch it again. Stuff like GTC's (H2/3 have APU's) and antiquated electrical stuff, plus different turbines on the motors so different limitations.

Have you called AFRC SG personally to ask if they have your physical? I called and it turned out they returned the physical because it had no waiver. Once I contacted Wright Pat and talked with the Flt Doc it got ironed out real quick.

Good Luck!

imported_waterboy
09-09-2009, 07:37 PM
Waterboy are you starting fundies or BFE Friday?

BFE. I did fundies about 10 years ago.

imported_SUPERSTAR
09-09-2009, 08:10 PM
I'm staying Kelly. You can bum a ride if need be.

imported_AeroMech78
09-09-2009, 08:23 PM
Have you called AFRC SG personally to ask if they have your physical? I called and it turned out they returned the physical because it had no waiver. Once I contacted Wright Pat and talked with the Flt Doc it got ironed out real quick.Good Luck!

I talked briefly with my section chief this morning since he's already been raising hell. Apparently my paperwork has been held up for 3 months waiting on a signature from....the dental clinic:eek: At this point, I'm being told it could be another 30-45 days since it hasn't even gone to the AFRC SG yet.

(sigh)

imported_waterboy
09-09-2009, 09:07 PM
I'm staying Kelly. You can bum a ride if need be.

Thanks man. You've got a PM.

On a related note, does anyone have access to the reporting instructions for BFE? I can't get to it for some reason, even with my CAC reader. Just want to make sure I show up at the right place at the right time.

imported_SUPERSTAR
09-09-2009, 09:14 PM
I got the reporting instructions! I will PM you in a few!

xboomer
09-11-2009, 06:34 PM
Has anyone been required to obtain a medical waiver, and if so, how long did it take to go through AFRC SG?

c5engineer
09-12-2009, 06:50 AM
Has anyone been required to obtain a medical waiver, and if so, how long did it take to go through AFRC SG?

I had a waiver for thyroid which was listed in the AF waiver guide. Had Wright Pat not screwed around it would have taken less than a month. The AFRC SG saw the documentation and issued me a three year waiver in under a day. My advice is to find out who has your physical, including 1042, and where the waiver is. If they aren't submitted simultaneously AFRC SG will kick it back until they have both. Once they have both it normally takes a full week of review. In my case they looked the actual physical over and noticed two minor issues and sent it back to Wright Pat who sat on the whole thing.

Once you know they have done the paperwork I would call the AFRC SG and ask. The flight med staff know what the hell they are doing.

WillsPowers
09-12-2009, 07:53 AM
This thread is so old that it's quite possible the guy who started it retrained, upgraded, was an examiner and has now retired in the paygrade of E9!

I was going through some of my old FEF's tonight and was shocked at my screwups on one checkride. Sometimes getting your ass kicked is good for your career. Back to basics! Hit the books! Become sharp as a razor. Know your flight manual , OI;s and performance/systems knowledge and kick ass again!:D

xboomer
09-12-2009, 12:41 PM
I had a waiver for thyroid which was listed in the AF waiver guide. Had Wright Pat not screwed around it would have taken less than a month. The AFRC SG saw the documentation and issued me a three year waiver in under a day. My advice is to find out who has your physical, including 1042, and where the waiver is. If they aren't submitted simultaneously AFRC SG will kick it back until they have both. Once they have both it normally takes a full week of review. In my case they looked the actual physical over and noticed two minor issues and sent it back to Wright Pat who sat on the whole thing.

Once you know they have done the paperwork I would call the AFRC SG and ask. The flight med staff know what the hell they are doing.

I receive more accurate and timely information on this thread than I do any where else. Thanks again for all that have given input.

imported_SUPERSTAR
09-12-2009, 10:27 PM
Started Fundies yesterday! I'm excited to finally be here and looking forward to the challenge!

JENNYTHING
09-13-2009, 03:55 PM
Starting fundies on the 25th of Sept just curious if anyone else on here is starting the same day...

airforcechic
09-13-2009, 04:49 PM
I start fundies this upcoming Tuesday. I'm not retraining into 1A1 though, going for 1A4.

imported_ANALYST
09-13-2009, 07:15 PM
I am kind of new here but I just want to say, I finally get to submit my package next week. It was not that bad of a process in my opinion. The longest wait, was for the flight physical. Luckily I got to know the girl that was processing my physical and kept in touch with her. That really helped out a lot. The next hurdle was my supervision, they all gave me the same speech and wanted to know if I did my research. Finally I had to get the Commander to sign off on my ETP's. I thought that was going to be a long wait, but I went off leave and when I got back, the papers were endorsed. I want to thank everyone for the information provided here, I will update as the process continues.

fallenight
09-14-2009, 10:59 AM
i am currently still waiting on my high bp waiver to even be submited for my physical passed everything but that. my flight doc wanted my med s adjusted well since my pcm had just adjusted them he said ahh give it a while so they did it is still to high so have to get it adjusted again. then wait 7 days check it again i hope its low enogh this time. i sis get my etp signed by my commander and just nee dthe med stuff then i get to submit mine.

xboomer
09-14-2009, 09:26 PM

I was just told that my waiver will take up to 3 months to get approved. This will mean by the time I get my physical approved from the time that I took it will be 6 months. I could have finished BFE by now. Things where so much easier 9 years ago when I had my initial flight physical. I do not think it took more than a week from start to finish. But then again, it was the Guard.

c5engineer
09-15-2009, 05:16 AM
I was just told that my waiver will take up to 3 months to get approved. This will mean by the time I get my physical approved from the time that I took it will be 6 months. I could have finished BFE by now. Things where so much easier 9 years ago when I had my initial flight physical. I do not think it took more than a week from start to finish. But then again, it was the Guard.

Wright Pat held my paperwork 60 days. Had they submitted the physical with waiver attached it wouldn't have been more than two weeks after that. For some reason they hung on to the physical to make sure it was complete and when I called they were sending it to the wrong place right while I was on the phone. When I got her to verify and she did and sent it to AFRC I asked about my waiver. She saw none with it, but said it would sit in the inbox until the waiver arrived. Needless to say not true. When I called the AFRC SG they informed me if it isn't complete they return it. You know Wright Pat screwed up when a full bird colonel calls my cell from his at 2030 at night to get some info and gets it done by seven am the next morning. Had I called AFRC SG the same day I called Wright Pat flight med I would have known and would have called the doc myself and had a physical that afternoon.

Another important thing is that you need to get an initial 1042 from your unit med as soon as your physical arrives. Even though a flight doc issues a physical, a flight doc from your base gives you the 1042. And the 1042 will expire in a year.

Make the calls. Sometimes it's the individual who makes it happen.

imported_ANALYST
09-15-2009, 04:35 PM
Well, I have submitted everything and my Commander has done her part. Now it is just a waiting game, we will see how long it takes from here. Just a bit of an update.

Soon2beexloadtoad
09-15-2009, 07:01 PM
Does anyone know if the Kelly Inn has shared bathrooms (piss-mates) or do you have a private bathroom? Not that it matters I'm just over in Afghanistan and I'm getting tired of port-o-johns and shower rooms. I can't wait to have some privacy again.

Spunjah413
09-15-2009, 07:18 PM
Does anyone know if the Kelly Inn has shared bathrooms (piss-mates) or do you have a private bathroom? Not that it matters I'm just over in Afghanistan and I'm getting tired of port-o-johns and shower rooms. I can't wait to have some privacy again.

Shared bathrooms.

Golther
09-15-2009, 09:56 PM
Well after 3 weeks of me waiting on my physical it finally came back, and I finally got the chance to hit Submit. I hope my commander does his crap in time and maybe the board hasn't met for this month.

imported_SUPERSTAR
09-15-2009, 10:50 PM

You want to stay over here! I am currently here at the Kelly Inn and its worth it! It's quiet and plenty of studying space. Make reservations early! Any other questions PM me.

bcoco14
09-16-2009, 04:08 AM
Well, I have submitted everything and my Commander has done her part. Now it is just a waiting game, we will see how long it takes from here. Just a bit of an update.

I'm in the same boat its only been 2 days since my commander coordinated and the wait is driving me nuts.

imported_ANALYST
09-16-2009, 04:34 AM
Yeah man, I recieved a reply from AFPC later that afternoon about a form 422. So i guess they received the package pretty quick. I will get the 422 tomorrow and send it out.

akruse
09-16-2009, 10:45 AM
HH-60's at Moody here I come :)

Spunjah413
09-16-2009, 01:09 PM
Well after 3 weeks of me waiting on my physical it finally came back, and I finally got the chance to hit Submit. I hope my commander does his crap in time and maybe the board hasn't met for this month.

You should have submitted it to your commander right at the beginning. I remember asking the guy at AFPC when i finished my package last year if i had to do everything on the checklist befor submitting it to the commander. He told me you can submit it to the Commander at any time.

bcoco14
09-16-2009, 02:40 PM
OK someone correct me if I'm wrong but I thought only the CAREERS guys had their packages go to a board. I ask this because I was just told the NCORP went to a board as well. I was under the impression that NCORP was a package that was processed on a first come basis.

Gunner7
09-16-2009, 03:21 PM
OK someone correct me if I'm wrong but I thought only the CAREERS guys had their packages go to a board. I ask this because I was just told the NCORP went to a board as well. I was under the impression that NCORP was a package that was processed on a first come basis.

Based on what is in the PSD Handbook (AFPCs guide to all things virtual) only the FTA (CAREERS) retrainees will face a QRP board. Which is not really a board as it is a 3S0 (personellist) racking and stacking off of seven criteria points. The NCORP is a first come, first served program to an extent. Right now priority is being given to those individuals who need to get a new job and are volunteers (Phase I). After 20 Oct Phase II NCORP types will be feeling the "all in" way of doing business and get reclassed or promoted to civilian status on their DOS. In any case I would apply now to get the permission for the flight physical.

Golther
09-16-2009, 04:09 PM
I called AFPC earlier tonight and i found out that the selection board meets the last duty day of every month now, as opposed to what the retraining website says. I'm not so worried anymore about if it will get signed in time. If i still haven't got anything back about my package from him, I'll think I will poke and prod the Shirt about getting him to fill out that stupid web form.

bcoco14
09-16-2009, 11:57 PM
Based on what is in the PSD Handbook (AFPCs guide to all things virtual) only the FTA (CAREERS) retrainees will face a QRP board. Which is not really a board as it is a 3S0 (personellist) racking and stacking off of seven criteria points. The NCORP is a first come, first served program to an extent. Right now priority is being given to those individuals who need to get a new job and are volunteers (Phase I). After 20 Oct Phase II NCORP types will be feeling the "all in" way of doing business and get reclassed or promoted to civilian status on their DOS. In any case I would apply now to get the permission for the flight physical.

I was asking because I have a package in already and I called AFPC this morning to ask the status of my package and he stated it was in review and would be going to the board at the end of the month. This didn't sound right to me as I am not a FTA and asked him if the NCORP went to a board and he said yes. I was just trying to find out if he gave me bad info.

imported_usafcrewchiefb2
09-17-2009, 05:10 AM
13 days and i leave whiteman...15 days and i start class...felt like i would never start class...thank god it finally got here cuz i am totally burnt out on this job...ready to start new and put everything i got into this...

Gunner7
09-17-2009, 02:15 PM
I was asking because I have a package in already and I called AFPC this morning to ask the status of my package and he stated it was in review and would be going to the board at the end of the month. This didn't sound right to me as I am not a FTA and asked him if the NCORP went to a board and he said yes. I was just trying to find out if he gave me bad info.

Did ACORN pick up a contract at Randolph? Here is what the PSD guide shows for NCORP processing(Note there is no board process):

16 Member Pre-Screening. Apply for retraining AFSCs by clicking on the
Submit/Review Retraining Request link via vMPF. NOTE: Route the
application to the AFPC Eligibility for initial review of requested AFSCs
and corresponding notes.
17 AFPC
Eligibility
Pre-Screen/Counsel. Review member’s requested AFSCs and associated
notes. Advise member to include any additional documentation.
18 Member Submit formal retraining request. After receiving consultation from
AFPC Eligibility, complete any necessary documents and submit to the
Commander using the Submit Retraining Application link via vMPF.
19 Commander Commander Recommendation. Make a recommendation and forward to
AFPC Eligibility using the Commander Coordination link on the
Retraining Application in vMPF.
20 AFPC
Eligibility
Are there quotas for the requested AFSC and does member meet
requirements? If YES, GO TO STEP 21. If NO, GO TO STEP 16
21 AFPC
Eligibility
Update. Update the retraining package in MilPDS to include waiver
notes or send Exception to Policy (ETP) REQUEST to AFPC/DPSOAR.
22 AFPC
Policy
Eligible? (Quotas are available) Does member meet requirement
eligibility? If YES, GO TO STEP 23. If NO, GO TO STEP 16.
23 AFPC
Policy
Update approval in MilPDS; a RIP will be created.

bcoco14
09-17-2009, 02:39 PM
Did ACORN pick up a contract at Randolph? Here is what the PSD guide shows for NCORP processing(Note there is no board process):

16 Member Pre-Screening. Apply for retraining AFSCs by clicking on the
Submit/Review Retraining Request link via vMPF. NOTE: Route the
application to the AFPC Eligibility for initial review of requested AFSCs
and corresponding notes.
17 AFPC
Eligibility
Pre-Screen/Counsel. Review member’s requested AFSCs and associated
notes. Advise member to include any additional documentation.
18 Member Submit formal retraining request. After receiving consultation from
AFPC Eligibility, complete any necessary documents and submit to the
Commander using the Submit Retraining Application link via vMPF.
19 Commander Commander Recommendation. Make a recommendation and forward to
AFPC Eligibility using the Commander Coordination link on the
Retraining Application in vMPF.
20 AFPC
Eligibility
Are there quotas for the requested AFSC and does member meet
requirements? If YES, GO TO STEP 21. If NO, GO TO STEP 16
21 AFPC
Eligibility
Update. Update the retraining package in MilPDS to include waiver
notes or send Exception to Policy (ETP) REQUEST to AFPC/DPSOAR.
22 AFPC
Policy
Eligible? (Quotas are available) Does member meet requirement
eligibility? If YES, GO TO STEP 23. If NO, GO TO STEP 16.
23 AFPC
Policy
Update approval in MilPDS; a RIP will be created.

Thanks I thought that guy was full of crap. Now if they only had time limits to process the package.

Gucci Boy
09-17-2009, 06:23 PM
I just received my class dates to Aircrew Fundamentals and BFE, when should I expect to receive the dates for water survival and SERE? Do all engineers go through these courses?

Anybody else start Aircrew Fundamentals on 16 JUL 2010?

Gunner7
09-17-2009, 06:34 PM
I just received my class dates to Aircrew Fundamentals and BFE, when should I expect to receive the dates for water survival and SERE? Do all engineers go through these courses?

Anybody else start Aircrew Fundamentals on 16 JUL 2010?

I think they will delay scheduling those classes until they figure out what airframe you are going to. If you need rotary wing (dunker) vs para training etc. Yes al FEs go through this except the Huey guys also have to take dance class.

imported_SUPERSTAR
09-17-2009, 06:54 PM
I think they will delay scheduling those classes until they figure out what airframe you are going to. If you need rotary wing (dunker) vs para training etc. Yes al FEs go through this except the Huey guys also have to take dance class.

I'm in Fundies right now and still don't have a SERE date. I also don't have an aircraft yet. Glad to be here regardless! Come prepared to study and pay attention.

Gucci Boy
09-17-2009, 08:28 PM
Come prepared to study and pay attention.

Absolutely! Deffinatly looking forward to the experience of flying around in aircraft after spending most of the first half of my career fixing them! I was a little dissapointed to see that my classes are scheduled for almost a year away. Does anybody have any classes earlier that just got approved?

Michaep
09-17-2009, 08:44 PM
Absolutely! Deffinatly looking forward to the experience of flying around in aircraft after spending most of the first half of my career fixing them! I was a little dissapointed to see that my classes are scheduled for almost a year away. Does anybody have any classes earlier that just got approved?

haha a pilot going by the name of Gucci Boy

Goodluck Soldier Boy

Gucci Boy
09-17-2009, 08:48 PM
haha a pilot going by the name of Gucci Boy

Goodluck Soldier Boy

Well...not exacty a pilot, but at least I will be bumping elbows with them in flight!

I am currently a KC-10 Avionics specialist which is how I came up with Gucci Boy.

Michaep
09-17-2009, 08:51 PM
psh....gotta have that hot sh*t E3 or A10.....kc10 is played out "dawg"

c5engineer
09-18-2009, 03:32 AM
psh....gotta have that hot sh*t E3 or A10.....kc10 is played out "dawg"

WTF? I'm curious as to what that all means especially if implying the KC-10 is a washed up airframe. I've read some weird sh*t on this forum. If you were to go right back to 10's Gucci you'd love it. It would be easy for you given your background and comfort level. No matter, you'll get something and find that it's an awesome job just be patient because from start to finish it takes a long time to get up to speed.

imported_AeroMech78
09-18-2009, 03:12 PM
WTF? I'm curious as to what that all means especially if implying the KC-10 is a washed up airframe. I've read some weird sh*t on this forum. If you were to go right back to 10's Gucci you'd love it. It would be easy for you given your background and comfort level. No matter, you'll get something and find that it's an awesome job just be patient because from start to finish it takes a long time to get up to speed.

Speaking of getting started, do you by any chance have any connections at AFRC? My paperwork is about to be sent to Warner Robins after 3+ months and it sure would be nice to know it's going to get worked rather than buried and forgotten.

c5engineer
09-18-2009, 03:26 PM
Speaking of getting started, do you by any chance have any connections at AFRC? My paperwork is about to be sent to Warner Robins after 3+ months and it sure would be nice to know it's going to get worked rather than buried and forgotten.

Actually I looked them up, but I don't remember where I found them. I got their commercial number and called. There is a Tech in the office who really knew her stuff and she had it turned around for me in a day. If you know for a fact it has gotten to the AFRC SG it will get done. They do not mess around. It seems that it's the individual flt meds no matter what component that can't seem to get their act together. If you had any additional info or a waiver you need to call AFRC SG and ask if they got the whole package otherwise they will kick it back.

I found out that when they transmit it electronically the techs don't even see it for privacy reasons, but they can check for the waiver attachment.

Good luck!

Gucci Boy
09-18-2009, 03:45 PM

I am hoping to get back on the 10's for the very reasons you mentioned. It would make for a smoother transition which would allow me to concentrate on only having to learn my new job, rather than get re-familiarized with a new airframe as well.

In addition to having a face to face with the Chief FE's at the flying squadrons here, is there any other avenues that might increase my chances of getting back on the KC-10? I have worked on the KC-10 my whole career thus far and I am currently a KC-10 GAC FTD instructor and would hope that my experience on the 10 would work for me, but I heard that is not always the case.

xboomer
09-18-2009, 09:10 PM

I have just been approved for flying status(today). Tomorrow would have been 13 weeks since I took my flight physical. I needed a waiver for some neck surgery a few years back. The waiver was sent to AFRC SG on Tuesday and it was approved today, Friday. I will be completely honest with you, I took matters into my own hands. I called my recruiter last Friday and told her that I would make all the phone calls regarding the status of my flight physical. I called the individual at the clinic who was going to be writing the waiver and inquired when he thought it would be complete and the time he expected for it to be approved or disapproved at AFRC. After I had this information, I contacted my recruiter and told her that I would be calling AFRC every week to find the status of my flight physical, she said to go ahead since the squeaky wheel gets the grease. Luckily I did not have to do this. I am not sure if my persistence had anything to do with getting my flight physical approved, however the people at the clinic knew I was going to be a pain in their a**. I am sorry that I do not have the number for you but it may be time to put a little bit of heat on them.

Good luck

Gucci Boy
09-18-2009, 09:59 PM
Does anybody have a Class date for fundies before July 2010?

Gunner7
09-19-2009, 12:05 AM
I have just been approved for flying status(today). Tomorrow would have been 13 weeks since I took my flight physical. I needed a waiver for some neck surgery a few years back. The waiver was sent to AFRC SG on Tuesday and it was approved today, Friday. I will be completely honest with you, I took matters into my own hands. I called my recruiter last Friday and told her that I would make all the phone calls regarding the status of my flight physical. I called the individual at the clinic who was going to be writing the waiver and inquired when he thought it would be complete and the time he expected for it to be approved or disapproved at AFRC. After I had this information, I contacted my recruiter and told her that I would be calling AFRC every week to find the status of my flight physical, she said to go ahead since the squeaky wheel gets the grease. Luckily I did not have to do this. I am not sure if my persistence had anything to do with getting my flight physical approved, however the people at the clinic knew I was going to be a pain in their a**. I am sorry that I do not have the number for you but it may be time to put a little bit of heat on them.

Good luck

Congratulations on breaking the physical barrier. I have found that being persistant yet professional works well in situations like this. 90% of the time the Majcom can turn the physical in a week IF the MTF sends all documentation. If you can make the local people aware of how important this is to you there is a good chance they would rather process it than spend time on the phone or in person explaining why it has not been worked. I hope things continue to go well and appreciate you sharing your experiences with the rest of us.

akruse
09-19-2009, 07:47 AM

June 11th 2010

kenton
09-19-2009, 07:32 PM

Yep... My classes start Jan 2010

c5engineer
09-20-2009, 11:47 PM
I am hoping to get back on the 10's for the very reasons you mentioned. It would make for a smoother transition which would allow me to concentrate on only having to learn my new job, rather than get re-familiarized with a new airframe as well.

In addition to having a face to face with the Chief FE's at the flying squadrons here, is there any other avenues that might increase my chances of getting back on the KC-10? I have worked on the KC-10 my whole career thus far and I am currently a KC-10 GAC FTD instructor and would hope that my experience on the 10 would work for me, but I heard that is not always the case.

To tell you the truth from what i've seen and heard on this forum and in the squadrons, it's really about PCSing you. If your from McGuire and you want to go back, put it on your dream sheet and they will likely grant it if there's a slot back there. You already live there all they have to do is transfer you to a squadron with a slot. I wouldn't be shocked if you didn't get it, but I would be suprised.

imported_usafcrewchiefb2
09-21-2009, 01:35 AM
WHOO!! orders are in and printed...bags are packed...outprocess is done...just buying time now...bout time...now for a few questions..

Is there anyone I have to go see prior to leaving here since I am driving my own truck down there?? I figured i would have to tell someone here first so they can calculate everything as far as gas and what not goes...and for alloted travel days...

I am guessing it would be wise to wear some sort of blues combo on the first day (friday) since it is posted everywhere that mondays and fridays are blues days...damn AETC...havent worn my blues in 3 years...crew chiefs never wear blues...

Any body i should call when i get down there?? besides checking in with lodging, should i check in with medical, the schoolhouse...etc etc...

it all seems like a big cluster !@#$ at first....thanks for the help ya'll...see ya'll down there...

imported_SUPERSTAR
09-21-2009, 02:37 AM
WHOO!! orders are in and printed...bags are packed...outprocess is done...just buying time now...bout time...now for a few questions..

Is there anyone I have to go see prior to leaving here since I am driving my own truck down there?? I figured i would have to tell someone here first so they can calculate everything as far as gas and what not goes...and for alloted travel days...

I am guessing it would be wise to wear some sort of blues combo on the first day (friday) since it is posted everywhere that mondays and fridays are blues days...damn AETC...havent worn my blues in 3 years...crew chiefs never wear blues...

Any body i should call when i get down there?? besides checking in with lodging, should i check in with medical, the schoolhouse...etc etc...

it all seems like a big cluster !@#$ at first....thanks for the help ya'll...see ya'll down there...

Just drive here, check in at Kelly Inn if you have reservations (show orders), next find school house the night before, Be there at 0650 Friday morning in the auditorium. It's blues Monday and Friday...sucks but oh well, worth it in the end. They will collect medical records if you brought them but I didn't give mine. Everything is on-line now so hand carried records are worthless. They didn't collect 1042 or 88 either. Bring them just in case. Make sure your blues look good. Our instructor called people out for blues not fitting right, looking like crap, etc... Also, you will be in class with non-priors...please set a good example for them. Had some people in my class complaining in front of them about blah blah stuff. No cell phones in class either...go to car on breaks if you need to use it. Any other questions shoot me a PM. I start block 2 of Fundies tomorrow...Alttitude chamber Tuesday!

JENNYTHING
09-21-2009, 03:42 AM

Are you starting Fundies this Friday??? If so I'll be seeing you there, if you want to exchange numbers or something so we at least can be lost together email me and we can keep in contact!

email addy:
jumbach@hotmail.com

imported_usafcrewchiefb2
09-21-2009, 04:32 AM
sounds like a plan ya'll....blues are at the dry cleaners now...gotta get the fruit salad ready...ever since my rotation to Iraq ive been getting random ribbons and clusters thrown into my PIF...cant complain tho...

thanks for laying out the first day or two for me...that helped...now i know i dont have to run around the day before doin shit down there before class...

so since class starts Friday, and only one day of class before the weekend, i take it we are in the books early and looking at a test/quiz/whatever the following monday?? few of my buddies said they were highlightin like a champ on the first day...which is good...straight to the point and no run around...

anyways...look forward to seeing everyone down there...PM me if ya'll wanna swap numbers so we can all stay in touch...gotta make the best of it and seeing as we are all gonna be there for a few months together we might as well get to know everyone...take it easy ya'll...see ya soon...

dub13
09-21-2009, 08:53 PM
gotta make the best of it and seeing as we are all gonna be there for a few months together we might as well get to know everyone..

Yea do exactly that. I was down there a year and a half ago already(damn time flys) and my class was pretty close. We all went out on the weekends and got some brews after each block test. It was a hell of a good time. Don't spend all your time in the room studying, cuz it will drive ya crazy. good luck!

hammer
09-22-2009, 12:12 AM
my package was accepted last friday....and i have a class date scheduled for 6 OCT 2009

imported_SUPERSTAR
09-22-2009, 12:54 AM
my package was accepted last friday....and i have a class date scheduled for 6 OCT 2009

I don't even know you...I already dislike you. I waited 9 months to get here. If you have any questions let me know!

hammer
09-22-2009, 01:02 AM
I don't even know you...I already dislike you. I waited 9 months to get here. If you have any questions let me know!

lol sorry man!! the whole process did take almost a year...i just fell into the right window i guess

imported_BuffBeerCrewChief
09-22-2009, 02:34 AM
lol sorry man!! the whole process did take almost a year...i just fell into the right window i guess

Are you sure you have a BFE class date because only people I see get class dates that fast are Boom Ops and Loadmasters :eek:

hammer
09-22-2009, 02:44 AM
Are you sure you have a BFE class date because only people I see get class dates that fast are Boom Ops and Loadmasters :eek:

yep...my vmpf shows the FE courses for those dates

imported_usafcrewchiefb2
09-22-2009, 05:22 AM
well looks like we will be seein you down there then eh HAMMER...looks like u slipped into the pile at the right time...wish i had that short of a wait...i waited 7 months...anwyay...see ya down there bro...

for everyone who will be down there anytime between october 2nd to december 7th, if you need a ride let me know...ill have the truck with plenty of room for ppl...im stayin on the kelly side...

Golther
09-22-2009, 09:28 AM

I don't know how it was accepted last Friday unless you got picked last month and they JUST updated you vMPF to reflect that. When did you submit your application?

hammer
09-22-2009, 01:16 PM
I don't know how it was accepted last Friday unless you got picked last month and they JUST updated you vMPF to reflect that. When did you submit your application?

i submitted two weeks ago..but this was my second time around so all my paperwork was in the syatem..all i know is my status code was (5) on friday and (6) on monday...with class dates... i think it was pure luck. but the whole process for me took about 10 months

kenton
09-22-2009, 04:15 PM

I think he is backfilling a slot that was opened up. Because of christmas they have an october class and then the next class is in Jan. I heard a guy just got his date switched from the october class on monday. My guess is this guy is backfilling that slot.

Golther
09-22-2009, 06:15 PM
How long did it take your MPF to update with status codes? I submitted on the 15th of this month but I still haven't had anything updated anywhere. Am I looking in the right area under Retraining Application Status Inquiry? All it says is "As of today, our database does not show that you have a pending retraining application on file. Please contact your servicing Military Personnel Flight for further guidance." Does this mean my commander is still sitting on my recommendation web form?

Gunner7
09-22-2009, 06:42 PM
How long did it take your MPF to update with status codes? I submitted on the 15th of this month but I still haven't had anything updated anywhere. Am I looking in the right area under Retraining Application Status Inquiry? All it says is "As of today, our database does not show that you have a pending retraining application on file. Please contact your servicing Military Personnel Flight for further guidance." Does this mean my commander is still sitting on my recommendation web form?

Did you submit the initial request or the completed application(includes Class III)?

Golther
09-22-2009, 07:06 PM
I submitted my completed application on the 15th.

bcoco14
09-22-2009, 07:18 PM

You need to look in your MyStuff in VMPF it will tell you everything you need to know. If your commander did his part or not and what stage your application is curently at. I submitted everthing a week after the new list came out( I had alrady done my class 3 from a previous attempt). On 17 Sept is was sent to the CFM for review. I was told by AFPC that they usualy take 2-3 weeks before the return it and that is when the load you in the system with either the code 3,5 or 6.

imported_ANALYST
09-22-2009, 07:26 PM
Yeah, that is exactly what I was about to write. I am currently waiting on the CFM to approve my feeder AFSC ETP as we speak. I received the message from AFPC with my commanders part. Then I received a message that Aerospace medicine had jumped the gun and missed my 422. After I submitted that, I recieved the awaiting CFM approval.

Golther
09-22-2009, 07:32 PM
My commander has been sitting on my rec for about a week now. I just wish he would hurry up, at least a couple of days before the board. Otherwise I fear AFPC will be butt slow and wont make it in time.

imported_ANALYST
09-22-2009, 07:46 PM
My commander has been sitting on my rec for about a week now. I just wish he would hurry up, at least a couple of days before the board. Otherwise I fear AFPC will be butt slow and wont make it in time.
That is crazy man, it took my comander a day to reply to it but i also had to get other ETPs signed by her. That might have helped me out a bit. Well I hope everything goes well man.

Golther
09-22-2009, 07:54 PM
I had my ETP for early retraining sent up even before I posted for eligibility, but he denied it telling me to try again during my regular window and blaming it on manning. I am going through with it anyways and he may be pissy that it really isn't his decision. I think he has been sitting on it because my shop hates me just because I came from another shop that got disbanded here. Me and the other people still feel like the red-headed stepchildren of the unit.

Jot
09-22-2009, 07:58 PM
I have a few questions I hope someone can answer for me.

I am a reservist (AFRC, not ANG) that has been accepted for FE retraining on the C-130H.

Ok, I'm clear about EUAC and BFE at Lackland, and SERE at Fairchild, and Water Survival at Pensacola. What I'm not clear about is IQT and MQT. Will I be spending time at Little Rock (E model) for that, or Dobbins (H model, but aren't they leaving AETC?), or will I complete this at my home station?

imported_SUPERSTAR
09-23-2009, 12:12 AM
I have a few questions I hope someone can answer for me.

I am a reservist (AFRC, not ANG) that has been accepted for FE retraining on the C-130H.

Ok, I'm clear about EUAC and BFE at Lackland, and SERE at Fairchild, and Water Survival at Pensacola. What I'm not clear about is IQT and MQT. Will I be spending time at Little Rock (E model) for that, or Dobbins (H model, but aren't they leaving AETC?), or will I complete this at my home station?

IQT is lackland and MQT is your acft specific training, like Little Rock for C-130. You will learn all this stuff in block 1 of Fundies!

Jot
09-23-2009, 12:36 AM
No, that can't be right. I'm looking at the CFETP and only C-5 IQT is done at Lackland.

Fundies and BFE are done at Lackland, and that's it for C-130 crews.

What I'm asking is, since I will be a H model FE, will I go to Little Rock for IQT (on the E model), then to my home station to transition to the H model and complete MQT, or will I go to Dobbins to do IQT and MQT, or will I go directly to my home station for IQT and MQT? And who decides that, my gaining reserve squadron, or AETC?

imported_SUPERSTAR
09-23-2009, 01:31 AM
No, that can't be right. I'm looking at the CFETP and only C-5 IQT is done at Lackland.

Fundies and BFE are done at Lackland, and that's it for C-130 crews.

What I'm asking is, since I will be a H model FE, will I go to Little Rock for IQT (on the E model), then to my home station to transition to the H model and complete MQT, or will I go to Dobbins to do IQT and MQT, or will I go directly to my home station for IQT and MQT? And who decides that, my gaining reserve squadron, or AETC?

Ok, IQT is here at Lackland and Little Rock for C-130s. You may however do some MQT there to. MQT training will finish up at your home unit training section. As far as I know you will train on whatever C-130 model they have at Little Rock. AETC is in charge as far as I know for your training until you return to your unit. You might want to get with your reserve unit and have them state what the training sequence is for you. I don't have any FE C-130 guys in my class but that is the consences on what happens to you guys. I'm more concerned about KC-10's and C-5's...hope I get one of those.

Jot
09-23-2009, 01:58 AM
Ok, IQT is here at Lackland and Little Rock for C-130s. You may however do some MQT there to. MQT training will finish up at your home unit training section. As far as I know you will train on whatever C-130 model they have at Little Rock. AETC is in charge as far as I know for your training until you return to your unit. You might want to get with your reserve unit and have them state what the training sequence is for you. I don't have any FE C-130 guys in my class but that is the consences on what happens to you guys. I'm more concerned about KC-10's and C-5's...hope I get one of those.

That seems to match up with what the chief FE was telling me, that I'd go to C-130 school (didn't ask where), then back to home station for about 4 months on AD orders. I guess it would have to be Little Rock, since he also said I'd have to do transition training from the E to the H (and Dobbins has the H model, so that wouldn't make any sense if I did IQT there). Besides, Dobbins is (or already has) changed from a training mission to an operations mission, so it doesn't sound like I'll be going there.

imported_usafcrewchiefb2
09-23-2009, 05:14 AM
reserve always does things weird and confusing like...too much bouncing around and going on active orders and then back to reserve and transitions to operations and blah blah blah...too damn confusing...more power to you tho if thats your forte...

anyway...so whats the verdict from everyone down there at lackland when it comes to when everyone will find out their airframe/platform?? ive heard 2nd week of BFE, last week of EAUC, 2nd week of EAUC, day before graduation, at the instructors discretion...anyone have a for sure answer???

does Kelly have wireless internet????

bcoco14
09-23-2009, 06:16 AM
Yeah, that is exactly what I was about to write. I am currently waiting on the CFM to approve my feeder AFSC ETP as we speak. I received the message from AFPC with my commanders part. Then I received a message that Aerospace medicine had jumped the gun and missed my 422. After I submitted that, I recieved the awaiting CFM approval.

I had the same 422 problem but I caught it before I submited. Took the Med group a week to get it to me and I went in there everyday to ask if it was done. Please post when the CFM returns yours to AFPC hopefully mine will be about the same time.

imported_TJC78
09-23-2009, 04:49 PM
reserve always does things weird and confusing like...too much bouncing around and going on active orders and then back to reserve and transitions to operations and blah blah blah...too damn confusing...more power to you tho if thats your forte...

anyway...so whats the verdict from everyone down there at lackland when it comes to when everyone will find out their airframe/platform?? ive heard 2nd week of BFE, last week of EAUC, 2nd week of EAUC, day before graduation, at the instructors discretion...anyone have a for sure answer???

does Kelly have wireless internet????

You're going to submit your choices on either the first or second day of BFE. You should know your assignment no later than Block 5. And it really doesn't matter what you put down, the whole process is just a crapshoot. Some people get their first picks, some get their last. I don't really think there's much of a method to the madness, other than the fact that it really just comes down to what class seats are available the soonest.

And yes, the Kelly Inn has wireless internet. It's slow, but it works...most of the time.

imported_TJC78
09-23-2009, 04:59 PM

Where are you coming up with this stuff about C-130 IQT being at Lackland? It's all done at Little Rock, unless something has changed in the last month.

c5engineer
09-23-2009, 05:35 PM
?

Have you ever been in the reserves? I've been AD and reserves. It's confusing for you. More power to those who want an AD career. Those of us reservists love that we only have to do our job and nothing else. We don't "transition" to ops whatever that means. We go in the desert and inprocess to the AEF the same way AD does it. Yep, we have to be placed on orders to do AD and then we go back to reserve status when we're done. I used to do 240 days of AD a year and fly almost 1000 hours.

As for these other questions about IQT and MQT . It's simple: C-5 IQT IS at Lackland. It is taught in the 433 AW by the school house which is chock full of reservists as it is a reserve squadron. The reason is that C-5 FE's don't come out of the schoolhouse anywhere near qualified as an MF. You come out as a second engineer FF. Then you spend almost a year upgrading to fully mission qual or MF.

IQT is not BFE or fundamentals.

Oh and if your on H2 or higher like I am you'll have to learn the E model crap and dump it when your done. All they train on here is E's. There are AD units assigned to the Rock that fly H2's, but you won't touch those period.

MQT applies mostly to 130's and whether your E, H, H2, H3 you will attend the C-130 Center for Excellence (I didn't name it but I think it's funny as hell) and now you will do IQT/MQT both unless you are a special operator if that's the case you'll go directly to your unit for MQF (Talon's Talon II's, Spectres etc.) If you are a spec op then you'll fly 5 flights and be out of here. If your not you'll do IQT, simulators and then enter MQT. There you'll learn airdrop, and tac flying, have sims for those and then have 5 sims that are ridiculous flights with little to no malfunctions unless it's engine out day. The reason you don't get to fly in IQT is that it beats up the airframes. And yes pilots, navs and loads all get screwed on the flying.

There are points of contact for the C-5 schoolhouse so any questions could be directed there.

Just don't confuse IQT with anything going on at Medina. Good luck to all and for those coming to the Rock for 130 training, Little Rock is jumpin' but the base is a POS.

Gunner7
09-23-2009, 06:06 PM
Have you ever been in the reserves? I've been AD and reserves. It's confusing for you. More power to those who want an AD career. Those of us reservists love that we only have to do our job and nothing else. We don't "transition" to ops whatever that means. We go in the desert and inprocess to the AEF the same way AD does it. Yep, we have to be placed on orders to do AD and then we go back to reserve status when we're done. I used to do 240 days of AD a year and fly almost 1000 hours.

As for these other questions about IQT and MQT . It's simple: C-5 IQT IS at Lackland. It is taught in the 433 AW by the school house which is chock full of reservists as it is a reserve squadron. The reason is that C-5 FE's don't come out of the schoolhouse anywhere near qualified as an MF. You come out as a second engineer FF. Then you spend almost a year upgrading to fully mission qual or MF.

Oh and if your on H2 or higher like I am you'll have to learn the E model crap and dump it when your done. All they train on here is E's. There are AD units assigned to the Rock that fly H2's, but you won't touch those period.

MQT applies mostly to 130's and whether your E, H, H2, H3 you will attend the C-130 Center for Excellence (I didn't name it but I think it's funny as hell) and now you will do IQT/MQT both unless you are a special operator if that's the case you'll go directly to your unit for MQF (Talon's Talon II's, Spectres etc.) If you are a spec op then you'll fly 5 flights and be out of here. If your not you'll do IQT, simulators and then enter MQT. There you'll learn airdrop, and tac flying, have sims for those and then have 5 sims that are ridiculous flights with little to no malfunctions unless it's engine out day. The reason you don't get to fly in IQT is that it beats up the airframes. And yes pilots, navs and loads all get screwed on the flying.

There are points of contact for the C-5 schoolhouse so any questions could be directed there.

Just don't confuse IQT with anything going on at Medina. Good luck to all and for those coming to the Rock for 130 training, Little Rock is jumpin' but the base is a POS.

Great info--AFSOC will not hire FEs right out of school, need 500 hours prior to assignment to Gunships/Talons. Shadow might direct hire and the CV-22 currently requires 300 hours. Look for that to change as they try to increase the number of CV-22 Engineers.

imported_ANALYST
09-23-2009, 06:42 PM
I had the same 422 problem but I caught it before I submited. Took the Med group a week to get it to me and I went in there everyday to ask if it was done. Please post when the CFM returns yours to AFPC hopefully mine will be about the same time.
Sure, no problem man.

nman8119
09-23-2009, 08:15 PM
Well i have my class dates Fundies is Dec 1 2009 and BFE is Jan 4 2010!!! cant wait for class to start.

Jot
09-23-2009, 09:07 PM

My unit flies the H2. So I'll do all my C-130 school, IQT and MQT at Little Rock, then learn the H2 back home?

nman8119
09-23-2009, 11:43 PM
Does anybody have those class date?

Golther
09-23-2009, 11:46 PM
How long ago did you get approved for classes on the last board?

nman8119
09-24-2009, 12:06 AM
I was in status 5 first week of Aug. then about mid Month i got my class dates

ArcticFox
09-24-2009, 12:07 AM
@ the rock you'll learn only E model stuff, then you'll go to your unit an learn your H model specific stuff, not a big deal - your unit will bring you up to speed.

CharlieHotel
09-24-2009, 12:37 AM
anyone start Oct 30?

imported_usafcrewchiefb2
09-24-2009, 05:15 AM

by no means am i knocking the reserves in any way...weve got reserves here and work with them frequently...but when they tell me how they do a few things as far as training, i get confused as hell...we had to do some crash recovery training for them a few months ago and one of them was saying that if an aircraft went down and they were called on to recover it, then they had to transition to ops opposed to training...or something along those lines...im sure its confusing for AD people how ya'll do things and confusing for reserves how AD does things...no biggie...just sayin...

As for the airframe decision, i figured as much...i could honestly care less what platform i get or what base i land at...i was just curious as to when we found out...air force dont care what u want, just what they need...

thank god kelly has wireless...now i dont have to buy a laptop...just use my iphone for everything...

see yall in a week...:)

BigBaze
09-24-2009, 04:34 PM
Good to hear all you guys are getting class dates and all, 2 weeks away from coming home from my first deployment with the KC10; I got mission qualified and the very next day I was headed for the desert flying 12 hour sorties over Afghanistan with no instructor around. Ready to come home, I am worn the hell out, ready for a damn vacation! I hope all of you do well in your upcoming classes at Lackland, I frickin love my job.

Golther
09-24-2009, 05:09 PM
Congrats I hope you have tons of fun on your vacation!

nman8119
09-24-2009, 05:51 PM
Once you graduate BFE and have an assignment, do you go back to your base and wait for your airframe school then go to your new base after airframe or pcs to you new base then go to your airframe school?

Gunner7
09-24-2009, 06:01 PM
Good to hear all you guys are getting class dates and all, 2 weeks away from coming home from my first deployment with the KC10; I got mission qualified and the very next day I was headed for the desert flying 12 hour sorties over Afghanistan with no instructor around. Ready to come home, I am worn the hell out, ready for a damn vacation! I hope all of you do well in your upcoming classes at Lackland, I frickin love my job.

Sounds like you have been busy!!! as you can see the thread you started has been a huge help to all of us. Thanks for what you do.

Soon2beexloadtoad
09-24-2009, 07:05 PM
anyone start Oct 30?

I start on fundies on Oct 30th.

BigBaze
09-24-2009, 07:28 PM
Sounds like you have been busy!!! as you can see the thread you started has been a huge help to all of us. Thanks for what you do.

I appreciate that! I am glad to see the thread has helped so many, it looks like everyone who frequents this thread is keeping the ball rolling as far as passing on their own information.

RED AP1
09-25-2009, 12:12 AM
Hi all. I'm glad I found this post. On the 22nd I applied for retrain into FE. Hopefully, AFPC will give me the go ahead in the near future. I've been a 2A6X6 for 8 years now and after my stint at Mildenhall, I found out I really like flying. I couldn't go on enough TDY's. I'd like to land 130s at Little Rock, but we'll see where the AF wants me. The AF wants 20 staffs out of my AFSC and 43 into FE. Fingers crossed.

imported_ANALYST
09-25-2009, 12:40 AM
My Feeder AFSC Waiver has made it passed the CFM. Now I am currently status 3. I will make sure I update as I receive the news.

c5engineer
09-25-2009, 07:06 AM
My unit flies the H2. So I'll do all my C-130 school, IQT and MQT at Little Rock, then learn the H2 back home?

Yes. If your a reservist you have 120 days from the date you graduate from FMQ at the Rock to complete differences training. When you come out of Little Rock you will have a Form 8, which is your checkride documentation. It will have restrictions on it because you are not local to Little Rock nor is your unit equipped with E models. When you get home your unit will give you local indoc and cover all the differences between E's and H2's. Also, you'll get some seasoning before they let you play by yourself.

It's really different than the 5. By the time I upgraded my comfort level was there and I went on a JAAT in PACAF for three weeks with no one lookin' over my shoulder. Maybe it's my age and flying for 13 years that I don't feel as comfortable as the young guys, but it's crazy that you could have less than 100 hours and be in the desert flying combat missions. I'm starting the flying phase next week at Nashville and I can't wait. Six more weeks and I'm back home learning the H2.

Just be prepared. You'll have hand me down pubs at Little Rock. I had ridiculous notes in mine as well as highlighting everywhere. You won't see a brand new -1 until you get back to your unit and get it issued.

jdogg2
09-25-2009, 09:12 PM
Hey new to the FE Forum, I got my AFPC (5) for retraining 2 days ago and i called AFPC to verify. They told me that it could take 6 weeks but could also be diapproved.. has anyone else heard of that? and how long does it normally take to get a AFPC (6)?

thanks!

:cool:

Gunner7
09-25-2009, 09:19 PM
Hey new to the FE Forum, I got my AFPC (5) for retraining 2 days ago and i called AFPC to verify. They told me that it could take 6 weeks but could also be diapproved.. has anyone else heard of that? and how long does it normally take to get a AFPC (6)?

thanks!

:cool:

After you go stat 6 the class seat can load pretty quick, 1- 4 weeks. The reference to "it could be dissaproved" is a standard reply. Don't sweat it. If you are qualified and there are that many slots open you are solid.

jdogg2
09-25-2009, 09:28 PM
thanks for the help!

I'm hoping to see the "6" soon, getting anxious..

jdogg2
09-25-2009, 09:44 PM
thanks for the help!

I'm hoping to see the "6" soon, getting anxious..

Piggy backing on what I said, is there set classes dates or is it when there are enough personnel for a class?
Also is there anything i can do to prepare before I go, I'm in a non-aircraft orientated carreer field and dont want to be in the dark when I get there..

:thumbup:
thanks

imported_usafcrewchiefb2
09-26-2009, 05:11 AM
Piggy backing on what I said, is there set classes dates or is it when there are enough personnel for a class?
Also is there anything i can do to prepare before I go, I'm in a non-aircraft orientated carreer field and dont want to be in the dark when I get there..

:thumbup:
thanks

im not too sure about the whole set class dates, i would imagine AFPC is in contact with the schoolhouse in Lackland as far as when they have instructors ready to push another class and when they are available to start...

as far as preparing yourself for school and not coming from a maintainer background, i wouldnt sweat it too much...remember that there are non priors in aircrew training who have had no aircraft experience or Air Force experience either...just come prepared to soak in as much information as you possibly can...ask questions as often as you can and dont be afraid to ask for help...there are ppl from every career field you can think of going through flight training with little to no maintenance backgrounds...and they make it through...not exactly a smooth road but as long as you keep your head in the right place and remember you are there to learn an important job and become less than 2% of the air force...

try reading the AFM 51-9...its the source manual for the basic flight engineer course...dont worry if you dont understand a lot of things in it but at least you will be working ur mind a lil bit...

best of luck...:D

Max Power
09-26-2009, 03:30 PM
Just got home from my last SERE class and ready for some rest. I've got a little while before I head off to Little Rock for IQT. Good luck to everyone in whatever phase of training your in. It's definitely worth it.

AirfieldGroundRat
09-28-2009, 12:16 PM
First I just want to thank EVERYONE who has posted on this forum. Thank you for all your help and insight into retraining and experience in FE.

Now for my story. I have been reading and getting info from this forum since April. Sorry this is the first time posting. I just didn't want to jinx anything. I started my retraining package in Korea during an Exercise Year. Not the best time to try and accomplish it. We would exercise every month and my paperwork would stop until the following week. Then I had to get a wavier because I take Prilosec. Then PACAF kicked back my paperwork, because they thought I had asthma (I was on an inhaler in Iraq because of the F-ing burn pit smoke:mad: ). So I had to see a Korean specialist off base because Kunsan has a clinic not a hospital. Then once I proved I was healthy I didn't see my 1042 until August.

I had to submit a feeder wavier, because I'm from Airfield Systems in Communications on top of my medical wavier to AFPC. But once I did that mid-August I had my 5 status 2 September. Now I didn't have a change in status, and I was suppose to PCS to Langley in October. I didn't hear anything and I was a week out and basically out processed and had my TMO arranged here and in the States. Then I get an email from MPF that my assignment was cancelled! Then MPF told me it was because I retraining and I should hear about class date by next week. I guess that makes up for 9 months of pulling my hair out trying to get people to do their job.

So if anyone starts Aircrew Fundies on 23 October please message me. I'm so excited to have an opportunity to get into the operational side of the AF instead of support. Plus, I know people want Helos or C-130's but I don't care what airframe I get. Hopefully the AF needs me in something cool.

Gucci Boy
09-28-2009, 08:40 PM

Did you apply under FY09 or FY10 NCORP slots?

Gucci Boy
09-28-2009, 08:44 PM
I have my class dates for Fundies and BFE, just curious as to when I will see class dates for SERE and Water survival?

akruse
09-28-2009, 09:06 PM
I got 60's and have dates for Lackland, Kirtland, and only the dunk tank up at Fairchild. Have had those dates for about a month now. It doesn't look like I'm going to SV-80 or water survival until after IQT.

Gucci Boy
09-28-2009, 09:38 PM
I got 60's and have dates for Lackland, Kirtland, and only the dunk tank up at Fairchild. Have had those dates for about a month now. It doesn't look like I'm going to SV-80 or water survival until after IQT.

How do you know what airframe you got already? I got my class dates for fundies and BFE two fridays ago, and checked today and that is still all that is listed on VMPF.

Freelancer
09-28-2009, 09:45 PM
Finally got my new assignment and I now know my airframe.

I have fundies January 22nd - FEB 11. BFE at 11 FEB - 25 MAR, Underwater egress on the 14th of April, water survival from the 15th-16th of April, SERE at the April 19th - May 07, and mission flight engineer initial qual from 03 AUG 10 - 10 Jan 11.

Will be heading to Davis-Monthan before New Years. Got HH-60s and a little nervous about rotary aircraft training in general. Coming up as a fixed wing crew chief and all. Also I've heard that rotary FE training is harder than fixed wing and has a much higher wash out rate. Was hoping to get fixed wing and all but I'm happy that I got anything at all really. I heard that HH-60s are really "adventurous" compared to the rest of the airframes one can FE on. I was briefed that I would also need some minimal gunnery training too. Should be interesting to qual on something other than M-16 or the occasional M9. Hope to see some of you guys around. I know Gunner that's around here is an aerial gunner but I'm sure he also knows plenty enough about the FE position since he's been sitting with one forever now. Hopefully he can give more info on the elusive HH-60 as far as aircrew duties and what we can expect on duties and such. I do know we have a pretty busy deployment tempo.

Thanks again everyone,
HH-60 FE hopeful.

akruse
09-28-2009, 09:48 PM
How do you know what airframe you got already? I got my class dates for fundies and BFE two fridays ago, and checked today and that is still all that is listed on VMPF.

Coming from overseas.

Gucci Boy
09-28-2009, 09:58 PM
Coming from overseas.

Ahhh! I should have figured that out!

For you guys that start your schools within the next few months or first of 2010...

When did you guys submit your packages to retrain? I am still just a little curious as to why my dates start July 2010 when I received my status 6 a couple weeks ago.

jdogg2
09-28-2009, 11:29 PM

Man Hammer got his dates quickly! I'm pretty sure it had to to do with the fiscal year that he was selected... Does anyone know where you can find that out?:confused:

jdogg2
09-28-2009, 11:31 PM

For you guys that start your schools within the next few months or first of 2010...

When did you guys submit your packages to retrain? I am still just a little curious as to why my dates start July 2010 when I received my status 6 a couple weeks ago.

How long did it take you to get the "6" on your vMPF website?

Soon2beexloadtoad
09-29-2009, 10:00 AM
I have a question about IQT. Do you go TDY/TDY in route to your PCS location or do you PCS to the IQT location? Also does anyone know where I can find the AETC holiday schedule for this year? I'm trying to figure out what Thanksgiving, Christmas, and new years will be like at school.

kenton
09-29-2009, 12:55 PM

I submitted my package 3 days after the FY '10 list came out for FTA. I wated forever to go status 3... went status 6 in Aug and am heading to school in January. Are you coming from overseas?? That might be why your dates are so late. If not... there has to be a reason for it... maybe TOS requirment or something.. I cant see the CFM filling late FY '10 slots when there is still so many quotas left.

kenton
09-29-2009, 01:06 PM
Finally got my new assignment and I now know my airframe.

I have fundies January 22nd - FEB 11. BFE at 11 FEB - 25 MAR, Underwater egress on the 14th of April, water survival from the 15th-16th of April, SERE at the April 19th - May 07, and mission flight engineer initial qual from 03 AUG 10 - 10 Jan 11.

Congrats on going status 6. Looks like I will see you at Lackland and Kirtland. I have Fundies / BFE 8 Jan - 12 Mar.. and HH-60 MIQ dates 4 May - 27 Sept.

imported_TJC78
09-29-2009, 04:03 PM
I have a question about IQT. Do you go TDY/TDY in route to your PCS location or do you PCS to the IQT location? Also does anyone know where I can find the AETC holiday schedule for this year? I'm trying to figure out what Thanksgiving, Christmas, and new years will be like at school.

First off, this statement is directed to everyone...I know this an extremely long thread, but a lot of the questions you guys are asking have already been answered, and probably more than once.

Anyways, whether or not you PCS or go TDY for IQT depends on your airframe. If you get JSTARS, AWACS, KC-10s, or C-130s at Little Rock, you'll PCS first. I'm not completely sure about HH-60s, but for every other airframe, you'll be TDY.

Gucci Boy
09-29-2009, 04:20 PM
How long did it take you to get the "6" on your vMPF website?

I went status 6 about a week after I received status 5.

I submitted my completed retraining package the day the FY10 NCORP numbers came out for career airmen. The only thing that I can possibly come up with as to why my class dates aren't until next July is that I am a Tech Select which means that I had to apply towards the TSgt slots on the Retraining Advisory, and since I made it on only my second try my line number is a little up there to say the least, and June or July looks like the time frame I will have it sewn on by. This is just a guess, as it really doesn't make any sense to me to why it would matter.

Are there any FY10 Career Airmen status 6 guys out there with earlier dates than July 2010 for school?

VidMXGuy
09-29-2009, 05:11 PM
Quick question, anybody have a reference or know of who I need to get in contact with to get my gear for FIQ? Everybody at my base keeps passing the responsibility like it is a hot potato, and I cannot find out who I really need to contact. Any help?

Freelancer
09-29-2009, 05:28 PM
Congrats on going status 6. Looks like I will see you at Lackland and Kirtland. I have Fundies / BFE 8 Jan - 12 Mar.. and HH-60 MIQ dates 4 May - 27 Sept.

You get DM too Kenton? Seems you'll just be a few months ahead of me. :)

As far as getting the training gear required, you need to go to the web sites for the equipment listing for the equipment listing and then take that list down to your squadron RA. Once the RA gives you fund approval you can head on over to your local survival section to pick up a flight suit and the other flight equipment. You might even be able to get at least fitted for your helmet.

akruse
09-29-2009, 05:50 PM
I went status 6 about a week after I received status 5.

I submitted my completed retraining package the day the FY10 NCORP numbers came out for career airmen. The only thing that I can possibly come up with as to why my class dates aren't until next July is that I am a Tech Select which means that I had to apply towards the TSgt slots on the Retraining Advisory, and since I made it on only my second try my line number is a little up there to say the least, and June or July looks like the time frame I will have it sewn on by. This is just a guess, as it really doesn't make any sense to me to why it would matter.

Are there any FY10 Career Airmen status 6 guys out there with earlier dates than July 2010 for school?

June 11th 2010

TheDude
09-29-2009, 07:30 PM
First off, this statement is directed to everyone...I know this an extremely long thread, but a lot of the questions you guys are asking have already been answered, and probably more than once.

Anyways, whether or not you PCS or go TDY for IQT depends on your airframe. If you get JSTARS, AWACS, KC-10s, or C-130s at Little Rock, you'll PCS first. I'm not completely sure about HH-60s, but for every other airframe, you'll be TDY.

I'm pretty sure 60's go TDY to Kirtland before you PCS- unless you're an oversees returnee of course.

Gucci Boy
09-29-2009, 08:03 PM
June 11th 2010

Thats pretty close to my date so I guess perhaps it might be normal. Had no idea it would be such a long wait until school.

How long has the wait been from status 6 to the time your schools start everybody? Is about 10 months the norm?

Max Power
09-29-2009, 08:26 PM
Thats pretty close to my date so I guess perhaps it might be normal. Had no idea it would be such a long wait until school.

How long has the wait been from status 6 to the time your schools start everybody? Is about 10 months the norm?

Mine was a 3 month wait. It's different for everybody.

Gucci Boy
09-29-2009, 08:31 PM
Mine was a 3 month wait. It's different for everybody.

Cool, as long as it's normal I am fine with it. Just wanted to make sure that there wasn't any confusion by the individual who assigns class dates.

imported_perfectfotow
09-30-2009, 02:22 AM
Hey guys hope all the retraining is going smooth! I have a question for anybo
dy that got an apartment down in san antonio what did you have to do finance in dover has no clue and I was wondering if anybody had done it.tia I should have added I have finished bfe and stayed @ kelly inn I'm headin down for c5 iqt for 5 months

kenton
09-30-2009, 07:59 PM
[QUOTE=Freelancer;284425]You get DM too Kenton? Seems you'll just be a few months ahead of me. :)

Nope... Im heading to Nellis.... but we'll still be at school around the same time. As for Equipment issue. There is a supply AFPAM that states losing unit must buy the equipment. If you search the thread you will find it....

imported_BuffBeerCrewChief
09-30-2009, 10:00 PM
Hey guys hope all the retraining is going smooth! I have a question for anybody that got an apartment down in san antonio what did you have to do finance in dover has no clue and I was wondering if anybody had done it.tia

Well I got here today and I havent heard anyone getting an apartment. You just stay at lodging for the entire time your here its like being back in a dorm room. They pay for everything and Kelly doesnt have a chow hall so per diem is crazy money.

akruse
10-01-2009, 07:48 AM
You always have the option unless stated otherwise by the JFTR to deny govt quarters and find your own place. You will get the daily billeting rate for that base.

nman8119
10-01-2009, 10:14 PM
Is their anyone going to Fundies 01Dec-18th and BFE 04 Jan 2010-16 Feb 2010? Also I am wondering how long the airframe schools are? My wife and kids are going back to her family's home while im in these schools and was wondering is I should have her stay there while im at airframe school too? We hate our base and location!!! More incentive to make sure i PASS!!!

bcoco14
10-02-2009, 04:03 AM
So the CFM finally approved my feeder waiver a few days ago. He just wanted to see i had a current 1042 it wasn't to bad only took flight med about 15 min to do it up for me. Now I get a email for AFPC today stating a policy change requiring an ETP. After calling them to find out what policy I needed the exception for they tell me my AFSC is balanced.

I couldn't believe what they said next. After asking when the policy changed to require the letter they informed me it hadn't and they just forgot to tell me about it in the beginning. WHAT???? They FORGOT how to do there job. So now I have to do a ETP that I would have had signed at the same time as the feeder wavier.

jdogg2
10-02-2009, 04:21 AM
So the CFM finally approved my feeder waiver a few days ago. He just wanted to see i had a current 1042 it wasn't to bad only took flight med about 15 min to do it up for me. Now I get a email for AFPC today stating a policy change requiring an ETP. After calling them to find out what policy I needed the exception for they tell me my AFSC is balanced.

I couldn't believe what they said next. After asking when the policy changed to require the letter they informed me it hadn't and they just forgot to tell me about it in the beginning. WHAT???? They FORGOT how to do there job. So now I have to do a ETP that I would have had signed at the same time as the feeder wavier.

Thats weird becuase when I spoke to the AFPC person handling my file they told me that I only needed a feeder AFSC waiver and an ETP was not needed. Is it not needed if the current AFSC your in is overmanned, or balanced? I got my status 5 on the 23rd and that should tell me that i dont need anymore paperwork, right? Or is AFPC being "forgetful"....wow i need to check on this...anybody have any insight>?

jdogg2
10-02-2009, 04:34 AM

Are you in the NCORP or the FTA for retraining? I looked at the AFPC retraining website and an ETP is not required for 1A1X1 carreer field for NCORP....I didn't see anything for FTA.

http://ask.afpc.randolph.af.mil/Retraining/?prods3=2931

Freelancer
10-02-2009, 07:17 AM
[QUOTE=Freelancer;284425]You get DM too Kenton? Seems you'll just be a few months ahead of me. :)

Nope... Im heading to Nellis.... but we'll still be at school around the same time. As for Equipment issue. There is a supply AFPAM that states losing unit must buy the equipment. If you search the thread you will find it....

I know that much. Our squadron RA already has the funds and approval. But the list just says what you need to have. Not where you actually go down to get it. I figured most of it is probably GSA (flight suit, gloves, etc.) The helmet I heard from other FEs that come in transient is something your gaining unit if you're coming from overseas issues you. My base being a fighter base doesn't have the helmets required for the HH-60s. Especially now with the AIM-9X modded helmets.

Gunner7
10-02-2009, 12:34 PM
Are you in the NCORP or the FTA for retraining? I looked at the AFPC retraining website and an ETP is not required for 1A1X1 carreer field for NCORP....I didn't see anything for FTA.

First term Airmen will never need a "balanced AFS" waiver because they can retrain out of any AFSC regardless of manning. It is not uncommon for AFPC to overlook certain qualifying documents. The retraining advisory notes would drive anyone batty trying to figure them out and their currency is sometimes out of whack.

kenton
10-02-2009, 01:02 PM
[QUOTE=kenton;285126]

But the list just says what you need to have. Not where you actually go down to get it. I figured most of it is probably GSA (flight suit, gloves, etc.) The helmet I heard from other FEs that come in transient is something your gaining unit if you're coming from overseas issues you. My base being a fighter base doesn't have the helmets required for the HH-60s. Especially now with the AIM-9X modded helmets.

Yeah... everything is from Base supply... if they dont have it in stock they will try to order it b4 you PCS. If it cant be obtained you get a letter from your RA saying what equipment couldnt be obtained and take the letter with a fund site to your gaining base. They will issue it at your gaining base from the fund site given by your previous base. Make sense?? Just make sure you either get the equipment or a fund site so you dont look like a dumbass.

bcoco14
10-02-2009, 02:30 PM

I am under NCORP and that webite has not been updated as of yet per the retraing tech I just spoke to. So if you haven't got your status 3 or 5 yet then you might want to start working one. If you dont need it no harm and if you do then you'll have it in hand ready to go.

imported_AeroMech78
10-02-2009, 08:00 PM
Well.....almost four months have gone since I took my flight physical. My flight chief has been raising hell and now has been told that they are waiting on me to give more information on my medical history. No idea what kind of information they need from me, seeing as how I have no medical history outside of my previous time on active duty. Now I'm supposed to wait on a phone call from the medical group. (sigh)

Serenity now!!!

xboomer
10-02-2009, 09:41 PM
Well.....almost four months have gone since I took my flight physical. My flight chief has been raising hell and now has been told that they are waiting on me to give more information on my medical history. No idea what kind of information they need from me, seeing as how I have no medical history outside of my previous time on active duty. Now I'm supposed to wait on a phone call from the medical group. (sigh)

Serenity now!!!

The good news is that you know they have your physical and are working on it. Keep on them and ask when they will have the all the issues resolved. Also ask when can you expect an answer if you passed the physical. It took a little over 3 months with a waiver to get my physical approved. I re-enlisted yesterday and have my firs UTA tomorrow. I should know this weekend when my school date's will be, I was told perhaps middle of October to beginning of November. I believe there are open slots held in each class for the Reserves and Guard so you won't have to wait as long as active duty for a class date. But I could be wrong.

Good luck

Jot
10-02-2009, 09:56 PM

Serenity now!!!

I had waited (and waited, and waited) about 4 months until I said "ENOUGH!". One of my wife's girlfriend's husband works at AFRC HQ, and he found it the next day. It was waiting to be sent back to the clinic for some paperwork errors. It was certified within 72 hours after that.

A week later, when I interviewed for an FE position, the chief told me I was candidate #1, even though he had 4 openings and already had 4 candidates in place. I had a certified physical, THEY did not. They had been waiting 8 months or more, and still nothing. Other units I called had the same issues. I don't know who is to blame, but AFRC is having issues with these.

Call AFRC HQ, and talk nicely to whoever answers, and ask who you can speak to about flight physicals. I had to do ALL the legwork from finding a position, to getting the physical pushed through. The squeaky wheel gets the grease...

Jot
10-02-2009, 09:58 PM

Serenity now!!!

By the way, what unit are you going to?

imported_AeroMech78
10-02-2009, 10:15 PM
357th AS with the 908th out of Maxwell AFB, AL

Jot
10-02-2009, 10:38 PM
357th AS with the 908th out of Maxwell AFB, AL

Me too. Send me a PM with your contact info, I'll try to help.

imported_AeroMech78
10-02-2009, 11:53 PM
Me too. Send me a PM with your contact info, I'll try to help.

Well, how bout that!:D

c5engineer
10-03-2009, 05:12 PM
I'm curious. The purpose of the forum is to get information about how to cross train into the FE career field. A lot of good information has been passed on as to how to go about doing just about everything. I'm amazed that some individuals will sit around and let some things stew and miss valuable time getting things rolling instead of taking the time tested advice found on this forum.

I'm referring to physicals. I want everyone who wants to be in this career field to get there and have a great career otherwise I wouldn't post, but come on. It's simple: If your physical isn't done in a month, two at the most you need to find out where it is. This is quite simple really. YOU contact your med group or whomever did your physical and ask them. It is now entirely electronic. They email a PDF to AFMC if your AD or AFRC SG if your reserve or the guard bureau if your guard.

It has an electronic tag on it and it tells anyone whose searching for it where it is and who has it. When I had problems with mine I started at Wright Pat and found out they #$^&!@ it up and talked with AFRC SG to determine what was needed. I too had missing information but when I talked to the idiot who runs flt med at WPat she ended up answering the very questions she was asking me about my medical conditions. She didn't look in the record to see I came prepared with everything.

If you need a waiver the waiver guide is available online and will tell you exactly what you need to get a waiver. It's the same thing the doc is going to look at when he's filling yours out. Missing that report from a specialist about your condition? Your physical will languish for months.

Bottom line is quit boohooing about waiting months for your physical and reporting you don't know where it's at or what needs to be done. Several of us have reported our experiences and how we fixed the problems. Use the knowledge. If you become an engineer your going to get into situations where you have neither the experience nor the knowledge to deal with it directly. You'll have to figure it out for yourself and get you and your crew out of whatever situation your in.

If you can't track down a physical and find the number to the SG, whom you can call by the way, and make that call you ought to rethink your decision to join the 1300 or so of us who did what it takes to do what we do.

As for AFRC SG #$%^@!# anything up I have to disagree. As an experienced flyer whose had flight physicals since 1993 I've never had them make me noncurrent for a physical. And the Tech I spoke with in December jumped on it, found the problem (AD at WPat) told me what I needed to do (missing info that Pat failed to collect) and I did it. Faxed them the info and I had a 1042 and SF88 in less than 24 hours.

If this post sounds harsh so be it. I don't want to be riding in the back with you in the seat on a real world tac mission knowing you can't think outside the box.

Jot
10-03-2009, 09:26 PM
Here's a question I have:

I have a Form 2808 that I received after my IFCIII, it's stamped "HQ AIR FORCE RESERVE COMMAND 20 AUGUST 2009 MEDICALLY QUALIFIED FOR GENERAL SERVICE/ENLISTMENT/FLYING DUTY, CLASS III."

Do I need a AF 1042, or is this medical report all I need?

c5engineer
10-03-2009, 10:49 PM
Here's a question I have:

I have a Form 2808 that I received after my IFCIII, it's stamped "HQ AIR FORCE RESERVE COMMAND 20 AUGUST 2009 MEDICALLY QUALIFIED FOR GENERAL SERVICE/ENLISTMENT/FLYING DUTY, CLASS III."

Do I need a AF 1042, or is this medical report all I need?

Your in good shape. You need to see your clinic and make sure the doc gives you an initial 1042. That is the actual form that you have to have in addition to the 88 (the physical form itself with the summary of all the examinations) and all the good stuff like chest x-ray, labs, ekg, and footprints. They should have all of that in your medical record.

If you don't get cleared by your local clinic doc, who signs the 1042, you won't be able to go to SERE, IQF/ MQF and any other training because that says you've been medically cleared. The funny thing is when you get to your training base, say Little Rock for 130's, the clinic there medically clears you to fly and initiates another 1042. I got lucky and was sent to Nashville for my 130 flying portion. We had to have our medical records cleared again and the doc here give us a 1042 that clears us to fly at this base.

If you show up for your actual qualification training without your 1042/medical records and your 702 which is your chamber ride they will send you home. I had flight records this time around so I had to carry that and my 702 with all my chamber rides on it is contained in my flight record. Non of the newbies in my class had a flight record just their 702 to hand into the flight management people.

Good luck!

Jot
10-04-2009, 12:31 AM
Your in good shape. You need to see your clinic and make sure the doc gives you an initial 1042. That is the actual form that you have to have in addition to the 88 (the physical form itself with the summary of all the examinations) and all the good stuff like chest x-ray, labs, ekg, and footprints. They should have all of that in your medical record.

If you don't get cleared by your local clinic doc, who signs the 1042, you won't be able to go to SERE, IQF/ MQF and any other training because that says you've been medically cleared. The funny thing is when you get to your training base, say Little Rock for 130's, the clinic there medically clears you to fly and initiates another 1042. I got lucky and was sent to Nashville for my 130 flying portion. We had to have our medical records cleared again and the doc here give us a 1042 that clears us to fly at this base.

If you show up for your actual qualification training without your 1042/medical records and your 702 which is your chamber ride they will send you home. I had flight records this time around so I had to carry that and my 702 with all my chamber rides on it is contained in my flight record. Non of the newbies in my class had a flight record just their 702 to hand into the flight management people.

Good luck!

I spoke with a recruiter today, he told me that my gaining squadron will request the 1042 (and the 88, I assume) from the clinic. Is it safe to say that a 1042 exists since my 2808 was stamped qualified flying duty?

Also, the 1042 and/or the 88 aren't routed through AFRC/SG are they? Do they come right from the clinic and do not require AFRC signoffs? I don't want to go through another headache...

Even if for some unknown reason (I don't know why, but you never know) the clinic doesn't have a 1042/88, won't I be able to get one at Little Rock (since I have a copy of my 2808 and 2807-1)?

c5engineer
10-04-2009, 12:43 AM
I spoke with a recruiter today, he told me that my gaining squadron will request the 1042 (and the 88, I assume) from the clinic. Is it safe to say that a 1042 exists since my 2808 was stamped qualified flying duty?

Also, the 1042 and/or the 88 aren't routed through AFRC/SG are they? Do they come right from the clinic and do not require AFRC signoffs? I don't want to go through another headache...

Even if for some unknown reason (I don't know why, but you never know) the clinic doesn't have a 1042/88, won't I be able to get one at Little Rock (since I have a copy of my 2808 and 2807-1)?

The 88 does go to AFRC SG and they stamp it certifying it. The 1042 will be done once you inprocess into your flying squadron. Since your dealing with a recruiter you haven't actually been assigned a manning number to the flying squadron yet. Once that happens and you inprocess in the squadron you need to see the clinic and have a 1042 done. If you show up to Little Rock without a 1042 done they probably will scream even though your physical is done because that requires a doc to see you. All they do is initiate a new 1042 to "clear" you to fly at LRAFB based on the physical paperwork in your med records and the 1042 your doctor from your wing signed.

Once you get in the unit just go talk to the med group. They should know you need a 1042. Without one you cannot get an aeronautical order initiated at LRAFB to begin flight pay and allow you to fly.

Jot
10-04-2009, 01:01 AM
The 88 does go to AFRC SG and they stamp it certifying it. The 1042 will be done once you inprocess into your flying squadron. Since your dealing with a recruiter you haven't actually been assigned a manning number to the flying squadron yet. Once that happens and you inprocess in the squadron you need to see the clinic and have a 1042 done. If you show up to Little Rock without a 1042 done they probably will scream even though your physical is done because that requires a doc to see you. All they do is initiate a new 1042 to "clear" you to fly at LRAFB based on the physical paperwork in your med records and the 1042 your doctor from your wing signed.

Once you get in the unit just go talk to the med group. They should know you need a 1042. Without one you cannot get an aeronautical order initiated at LRAFB to begin flight pay and allow you to fly.

My physical was done at Robins, so I suppose the 908th at Maxwell will request my records from them once I inprocess?

c5engineer
10-04-2009, 02:06 AM
My physical was done at Robins, so I suppose the 908th at Maxwell will request my records from them once I inprocess?

The 908th med group should get all the paperwork routed to them through the recruiter, but be on your toes. If you get the physical in the mail like I did get it to them asap! Also speak with the clinic asap to find out about the 1042. They will probably have you see the doc.

Don't depend on the med group to know your in their system. It's all electronic now and they won't be tracking you because you don't have an aeronautical order so you won't be under their computer system that tracks flyers. As long as you make sure the med group has your entire physical and that they will process a 1042 you will be fine. Just stay on top of it once you get into the unit.

imported_AeroMech78
10-04-2009, 03:44 AM
I'm curious. The purpose of the forum is to get information about how to cross train into the FE career field. A lot of good information has been passed on as to how to go about doing just about everything. I'm amazed that some individuals will sit around and let some things stew and miss valuable time getting things rolling instead of taking the time tested advice found on this forum.

I'm referring to physicals. I want everyone who wants to be in this career field to get there and have a great career otherwise I wouldn't post, but come on. It's simple: If your physical isn't done in a month, two at the most you need to find out where it is. This is quite simple really. YOU contact your med group or whomever did your physical and ask them. It is now entirely electronic. They email a PDF to AFMC if your AD or AFRC SG if your reserve or the guard bureau if your guard.

It has an electronic tag on it and it tells anyone whose searching for it where it is and who has it. When I had problems with mine I started at Wright Pat and found out they #$^&!@ it up and talked with AFRC SG to determine what was needed. I too had missing information but when I talked to the idiot who runs flt med at WPat she ended up answering the very questions she was asking me about my medical conditions. She didn't look in the record to see I came prepared with everything.

If you need a waiver the waiver guide is available online and will tell you exactly what you need to get a waiver. It's the same thing the doc is going to look at when he's filling yours out. Missing that report from a specialist about your condition? Your physical will languish for months.

Bottom line is quit boohooing about waiting months for your physical and reporting you don't know where it's at or what needs to be done. Several of us have reported our experiences and how we fixed the problems. Use the knowledge. If you become an engineer your going to get into situations where you have neither the experience nor the knowledge to deal with it directly. You'll have to figure it out for yourself and get you and your crew out of whatever situation your in.

If you can't track down a physical and find the number to the SG, whom you can call by the way, and make that call you ought to rethink your decision to join the 1300 or so of us who did what it takes to do what we do.

As for AFRC SG #$%^@!# anything up I have to disagree. As an experienced flyer whose had flight physicals since 1993 I've never had them make me noncurrent for a physical. And the Tech I spoke with in December jumped on it, found the problem (AD at WPat) told me what I needed to do (missing info that Pat failed to collect) and I did it. Faxed them the info and I had a 1042 and SF88 in less than 24 hours.

If this post sounds harsh so be it. I don't want to be riding in the back with you in the seat on a real world tac mission knowing you can't think outside the box.

Ok, while I understand your point....dayum! Cut me some slack! Some of us civilian types are clearly not as well informed as someone of your level. If I knew who to call or where to start looking, I would've already done it by now. When I'm told to be patient by the guy who catches hell from his command for not having enough FE's in his section, I'll take his advice. It may sound like I'm whining when in fact, I'm really just passing the time with wiseass comments. At this point, I'm less frustrated and more in awe of the complete lack of accountability on the part of the medical group. Not that it surprises me but, what can I say, I'd forgotten how inefficient the military can be. The truth is that I'm confident things will eventually work out and I've got more than enough to keep me busy in the meantime.

As always, I appreciate the insight that you've been gracious enough to share.

c5engineer
10-04-2009, 04:34 AM
If your willing to wait that's your biz. However, I posted previously on this forum about looking the number up for the SG. I did it. If you sit back and let your chief, who has no vested interest in picking you up other than a body for a slot, sit on it you'll be SOL. The new fiscal year started and the slots are sliding away. Guard and reserve don't automatically get X slots in X classes. I know because I got the list last January and saw how the classes flowed all the way through May and there was one slot in several classes and two in others. Your not the only one waiting for a school date, there are other units, lots of them that are putting in for slots. You can't even get one until a 1042 is cut and you won't get that until AFRC SG sends your physical back to the med group stamped and they have their doc look at you.

I agree that there are many individuals who can't do their jobs, but if you wait on them you may never get to do yours. We had an individual who supposedly required a waiver. After almost a year of battling and my chief did the battling because he's all over it, it turned out that he didn't need one. Imagine that. I made calls for myself because I knew better and didn't want the chief to take his time.

Once your assigned a manning number you have one year to get into a school slot. If your currently in the squadron you might not see a school date for a year because you have to get a current 1042. You don't get a physical for a couple of months you might not see a school date until Jan/Feb and then you definitely won't be upgraded within the next year. So your not going to be a qualified engineer by this time next year. How long do you want to wait? School dates are luck of the draw, but nothing gets rolling without a physical. Period.

It's not so much that you have this great capacity for stupidity, but that your setting yourself back by just sitting there. Nobody's going to cut anyone in this career field any slack. You need to be proactive and not shy to do well in this career field.

imported_AeroMech78
10-04-2009, 03:49 PM
If your willing to wait that's your biz. However, I posted previously on this forum about looking the number up for the SG. I did it. If you sit back and let your chief, who has no vested interest in picking you up other than a body for a slot, sit on it you'll be SOL. The new fiscal year started and the slots are sliding away. Guard and reserve don't automatically get X slots in X classes. I know because I got the list last January and saw how the classes flowed all the way through May and there was one slot in several classes and two in others. Your not the only one waiting for a school date, there are other units, lots of them that are putting in for slots. You can't even get one until a 1042 is cut and you won't get that until AFRC SG sends your physical back to the med group stamped and they have their doc look at you.

I agree that there are many individuals who can't do their jobs, but if you wait on them you may never get to do yours. We had an individual who supposedly required a waiver. After almost a year of battling and my chief did the battling because he's all over it, it turned out that he didn't need one. Imagine that. I made calls for myself because I knew better and didn't want the chief to take his time.

Once your assigned a manning number you have one year to get into a school slot. If your currently in the squadron you might not see a school date for a year because you have to get a current 1042. You don't get a physical for a couple of months you might not see a school date until Jan/Feb and then you definitely won't be upgraded within the next year. So your not going to be a qualified engineer by this time next year. How long do you want to wait? School dates are luck of the draw, but nothing gets rolling without a physical. Period.

It's not so much that you have this great capacity for stupidity, but that your setting yourself back by just sitting there. Nobody's going to cut anyone in this career field any slack. You need to be proactive and not shy to do well in this career field.

Well, be that as it may, I did manage to find a guy on here who is going to my unit and apparently has some connections at AFRC. That said, it would appear that aside from being "shy" I'm still better off than other prospective FE's that are unaware of this forum. :) As for the section chief not having any vested interest, my understanding is that he does. Like I said, he's the one who is supposedly catching hell from his command for not bringing in new FE's. Then again, you're more familiar with the inner workings of an AS so I'll just shut up about that.

I'm excited about eventually getting started on my retrain but, when I already have a full-time job and school to keep me busy, I'm content to just let the cards fall where they may. Thanks again for the insight.

Jot
10-04-2009, 07:57 PM
You need to be proactive and not shy to do well in this career field.

Not that I'm not proactive (and I am not shy by any means), but I was a bit naive in the beginning of this process. I initially relied too much on my recruiter to get things done, but I quickly learned that no one else is going to watch out for me and my interests.

Good advice...

Jot
10-04-2009, 08:08 PM
The 908th med group should get all the paperwork routed to them through the recruiter, but be on your toes. If you get the physical in the mail like I did get it to them asap!

The only thing they sent me was a lab report, a 2808, and a 2807-1. I sent an email to the clinic tech about the 1042, so hopefully will know what's going on there soon.

Don't depend on the med group to know your in their system. It's all electronic now and they won't be tracking you because you don't have an aeronautical order so you won't be under their computer system that tracks flyers. As long as you make sure the med group has your entire physical and that they will process a 1042 you will be fine. Just stay on top of it once you get into the unit.

Arrggghh!! How do I get on an aeronautical order?

c5engineer
10-04-2009, 11:58 PM
Don't worry about the aeronautical order. That will all be handled by Little Rock flight management when you get there for your initial/mission qual training. Your in great shape just take all the stuff they sent you to the clinic and make sure the clinic has everything they need to have to show the physical is complete. They should then have you come in to see the doc for a 1042. If you don't hear from them go over and pay them a visit.

The reason I've been adamant in my posts about being proactive is that your in good shape because you handled a lot of stuff. If you have time on your hands and you aren't in a hurry then let things take their course. I have seen guys who took a year to get a physical only to wait another year for class, only to take another year to fully upgrade. All could have been shortened to 15 months with a little work on the individuals part. It just depends on how bad you want to get started.

Again don't worry about the AO. I'm just letting you know that a 1042 is required for all training. Many of the guys have referred to the ETCA website that shows the various school requirements and documentation you have to carry with you. If you search 1042 you'll see you need one for everything.

Jot
10-05-2009, 01:59 AM
Don't worry about the aeronautical order. That will all be handled by Little Rock flight management when you get there for your initial/mission qual training. Your in great shape just take all the stuff they sent you to the clinic and make sure the clinic has everything they need to have to show the physical is complete. They should then have you come in to see the doc for a 1042. If you don't hear from them go over and pay them a visit.

The reason I've been adamant in my posts about being proactive is that your in good shape because you handled a lot of stuff. If you have time on your hands and you aren't in a hurry then let things take their course. I have seen guys who took a year to get a physical only to wait another year for class, only to take another year to fully upgrade. All could have been shortened to 15 months with a little work on the individuals part. It just depends on how bad you want to get started.

Again don't worry about the AO. I'm just letting you know that a 1042 is required for all training. Many of the guys have referred to the ETCA website that shows the various school requirements and documentation you have to carry with you. If you search 1042 you'll see you need one for everything.

I can't get on the ETCA right now, at home and it requires CAC card.

OK, just so I'm understanding this right, I can get Fundies and BFE scheduled (and attend) without the 1042, correct? And I can get IQT/MQT scheduled (but not attend ) with the paperwork I have now?

If that's the case, I might be able to save a lot of time by requesting school dates with what I have first, then work on the 1042 at Maxwell during the wait period. If I take the exam papers I have to the doc, should I be able to walk out with the 1042 same day?

Also, I'm still not clear on the 88. I looked up a copy of one (see link below), and also a copy of the 2808 (which I have a stamped copy from AFRC). Did the 2808 replace the 88? (Notice the "DoD exception to SF 88 approved by ICMR, August 3, 2000." on the 2808).

SF88:
http://med.stanford.edu/gme/incoming_residents/documents/REQUIREMENT7-SF88ReportofMedicalExamination.pdf

DD2808:
http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/infomgt/forms/eforms/dd2808.pdf

Freelancer
10-05-2009, 07:08 AM
No. From what was explained to me by the school house. You need your 1042 by your first day for "fundies" since Lackland will not lift a finger to do any of the catch-up work. They will send you back to Little Rock to get the required paperwork and you could and probably will end up losing your seat. You'll need it mainly to get your altimeter chamber qualification during probably fundies. Although the ironic thing is that you CAN if you have time in between, see the flight doc to get your SF600(or whatever the SERE clearance form is,) done for your SERE training while you are kicking around between classes at Lackland if you have to. I would recommend having that formed completed and complied with sitting in your folder of important papers by day one of fundies/BFE. The only issue you may have is that if you're like me, then you may have to actually bring all the gear you need for SERE and water survival if you have to fly out to Fairchild immediately after Fundies/BFE.

Max Power
10-05-2009, 02:23 PM
Be careful with the SF600 for SERE. It's only good within 60 days of completion so getting it done before getting to Lackland is a waste of time. Most of our class got it done at the Lackland Flight Med. Only takes about 5 minutes or so to complete.

Gunner7
10-05-2009, 02:54 PM
No. From what was explained to me by the school house. You need your 1042 by your first day for "fundies" since Lackland will not lift a finger to do any of the catch-up work. They will send you back to Little Rock to get the required paperwork and you could and probably will end up losing your seat. You'll need it mainly to get your altimeter chamber qualification during probably fundies. Although the ironic thing is that you CAN if you have time in between, see the flight doc to get your SF600(or whatever the SERE clearance form is,) done for your SERE training while you are kicking around between classes at Lackland if you have to. I would recommend having that formed completed and complied with sitting in your folder of important papers by day one of fundies/BFE. The only issue you may have is that if you're like me, then you may have to actually bring all the gear you need for SERE and water survival if you have to fly out to Fairchild immediately after Fundies/BFE.

You will need the 1042 to have a completed application with the retraining folks. If they have not asked for it they are missing a step in the checklist.

Jot
10-05-2009, 04:09 PM

Yep. Checked the ETCA this morning. I'll need a 1042 even to attend Fundies.

Gucci Boy
10-05-2009, 05:40 PM
For the civilians out there, if you guys are worrying about missing any documents then your recruiter isn't doing their job correctly! He should be setting you up for success and not potentially setting you up for failure especially since they work off a quota system.

For the guys that are unsure of what forms you need and/or if they wer included in your package you already submitted then I would walk in and ask your recruiter to get those answers for you.

Freelancer
10-05-2009, 07:16 PM
Been trying to call Kelly Inn by DSN and it's been freakin busy for over 2 hours straight :( . Don't have the proper line for making commercial calls and all either. I highly loathe any form of e-mail communication, but it would appear I might have to go that route since whatever civilian working that desk seems to have "other" purposes for that DSN line other than taking work/reservation calls. Doing retraining from overseas is a bigger pain than it really needs to be.

bcoco14
10-05-2009, 08:12 PM
AFPC is realy pissing me off now!!! I have done everything they asked to include the ETP letter they forgot to tell me about. Now the tell me my Application pending till NCORP is over. So now I have to wait until the end of Dec before they will even consider my application.

Gunner7
10-05-2009, 08:23 PM
AFPC is realy pissing me off now!!! I have done everything they asked to include the ETP letter they forgot to tell me about. Now the tell me my Application pending till NCORP is over. So now I have to wait until the end of Dec before they will even consider my application.

I am pretty sure they will continue processing the volunteer applications after 20 Oct. It would not make sense to risk missing FY 10 class seats while they fiddlefuck around with the non-vol Phase II types.

Jot
10-05-2009, 08:28 PM
For the civilians out there, if you guys are worrying about missing any documents then your recruiter isn't doing their job correctly! He should be setting you up for success and not potentially setting you up for failure especially since they work off a quota system.

For the guys that are unsure of what forms you need and/or if they wer included in your package you already submitted then I would walk in and ask your recruiter to get those answers for you.

If you trust a guy to help a prior-service applicant, which a majority of FEs are, and which does not count towards his quota, and you're depending on his experience with flying jobs (which they rarely deal with), then by all means trust him to make sure your paperwork is right.

I "fired" my first recruiter because he fed me some half-truths that I discovered during the process. I can tolerate inexperience, but I won't tolerate dishonesty.

The recruiter I am working with now is honest, but inexperienced. He worked hard for me, and at the same time didn't BS me with an answer if he was unsure how to answer.

Yes, in a perfect world, your recruiter will make sure all your paperwork is lined up right. But ultimately it's up to YOU to make sure everything works as it should.

bcoco14
10-05-2009, 08:34 PM
I am pretty sure they will continue processing the volunteer applications after 20 Oct. It would not make sense to risk missing FY 10 class seats while they fiddlefuck around with the non-vol Phase II types.

I called them and they said my applicatoin wouldn't be processed until the 20 Dec had passed. I hope that is wrong but we will see.

Gunner7
10-05-2009, 09:35 PM
I called them and they said my applicatoin wouldn't be processed until the 20 Dec had passed. I hope that is wrong but we will see.

If you are trying to retrain and get the "wait until December" answer, send me a PM.

c5engineer
10-06-2009, 12:05 AM
Seriously Jot don't worry about the 1042. You have the physical done and as long as you get all that paperwork that was sent to you to the clinic and ask about the 1042 as soon as your assigned and inprocessed you'll do fine. Your training guy can't even request school dates without your 1042. They know that so all you need to do is ask them about it.

As for those of you trusting a recruiter: Don't. I'll stand up and say it to any recruiter's face. As soon as I signed the request to come into my current wing and the chief agreed to take me, the recruiter got a manning number from MPF. Done!!!!!!!!!!! He didn't care what happened to me after that. Why? That would be the chief's problem now because he snuck a manning number right from under my chief's nose.

At each step in this process your entitled to ask questions. That's all I'm advocating you do. It sounds like you've been on it to this point. Keep it up and your going to get in and get your dates and press on without a problem.

My physical took three months with a waiver and should have only taken about six weeks. My school dates were requested in January and I specified first available and got a Little Rock date of 13 May. So if you get in Nov/Dec you might have school dates for fundies/BFE/SERE as early as March or so. I didn't need any of that so my situation was a little different.

On a kick ass note: I had my first TAC flight today. Two ship with some assault work. What a rush!!! Don't get me wrong. Air refueling and random steeps are pretty exciting in a C-5, but no comparison to an assault takeoff and landing. 10 more flights and I'll have a second aircraft qual under my belt. For those of you going to 130's it's bad ass. H2's are even better because you don't have to do all the BS that E models require!!

RED AP1
10-06-2009, 12:05 AM
After a little proding AFPC approved me for retraining. Now it's time to wrestle with my flight physical. The journey has begun.

Jot
10-06-2009, 12:15 AM
Seriously Jot don't worry about the 1042. You have the physical done and as long as you get all that paperwork that was sent to you to the clinic and ask about the 1042 as soon as your assigned and inprocessed you'll do fine. Your training guy can't even request school dates without your 1042. They know that so all you need to do is ask them about it.

As for those of you trusting a recruiter: Don't. I'll stand up and say it to any recruiter's face. As soon as I signed the request to come into my current wing and the chief agreed to take me, the recruiter got a manning number from MPF. Done!!!!!!!!!!! He didn't care what happened to me after that. Why? That would be the chief's problem now because he snuck a manning number right from under my chief's nose.

At each step in this process your entitled to ask questions. That's all I'm advocating you do. It sounds like you've been on it to this point. Keep it up and your going to get in and get your dates and press on without a problem.

My physical took three months with a waiver and should have only taken about six weeks. My school dates were requested in January and I specified first available and got a Little Rock date of 13 May. So if you get in Nov/Dec you might have school dates for fundies/BFE/SERE as early as March or so. I didn't need any of that so my situation was a little different.

On a kick ass note: I had my first TAC flight today. Two ship with some assault work. What a rush!!! Don't get me wrong. Air refueling and random steeps are pretty exciting in a C-5, but no comparison to an assault takeoff and landing. 10 more flights and I'll have a second aircraft qual under my belt. For those of you going to 130's it's bad ass. H2's are even better because you don't have to do all the BS that E models require!!

OK, OK. I trust a FE more than a recruiter!

xboomer
10-06-2009, 12:48 AM
If you trust a guy to help a prior-service applicant, which a majority of FEs are, and which does not count towards his quota, and you're depending on his experience with flying jobs (which they rarely deal with), then by all means trust him to make sure your paperwork is right.

I "fired" my first recruiter because he fed me some half-truths that I discovered during the process. I can tolerate inexperience, but I won't tolerate dishonesty.

The recruiter I am working with now is honest, but inexperienced. He worked hard for me, and at the same time didn't BS me with an answer if he was unsure how to answer.

Yes, in a perfect world, your recruiter will make sure all your paperwork is lined up right. But ultimately it's up to YOU to make sure everything works as it should.

I agree with what everyone is saying about this subject. I was at the unit this weekend expecting to get a class date for BFE and IQ, however because the recruiter has not turned in my Security Clearance documents as of this weekend, I could not even get a Military ID,never mind about getting a class date. As has been said many times during this thread, " you need to be proactive about everything that is going on with your new career". Because if you don't no one else will. If I had not questioned about what was going on with my physical I would still be waiting for it because the recruiter did not want to rock the boat with the clinic. Be professional and courteous, but take charge.

Jot
10-06-2009, 12:57 AM
I agree with what everyone is saying about this subject. I was at the unit this weekend expecting to get a class date for BFE and IQ, however because the recruiter has not turned in my Security Clearance documents as of this weekend, I could not even get a Military ID,never mind about getting a class date. As has been said many times during this thread, " you need to be proactive about everything that is going on with your new career". Because if you don't no one else will. If I had not questioned about what was going on with my physical I would still be waiting for it because the recruiter did not want to rock the boat with the clinic. Be professional and courteous, but take charge.

That's an excellent point about recruiters not wanting to rock the boat. Can't say I blame them, they have to deal with those people more than we do. Don't be afraid to take charge, and don't take "no" as the final word. Be persistent and professional, you'll eventually work your problem up to higher levels of supervision.

imported_ANALYST
10-06-2009, 04:52 PM
Well, I was just hanging out on leave and look what I found.

Logged into the VMPF and here it is:

Your Retraining Application Status is AWAITING CLASS SEAT (AFPC)(5) as of 05 OCT 2009.

I will continue to post as I get updates.

bcoco14
10-06-2009, 06:23 PM
Well on the advise of someone I sent an e-mail up to the CEA recruiter explaning AFPC's new NCORP policy. To my suprise HE had sent me an e-mail last week after I had left for the weekend asking if I submited my 1042 to AFPC yet. I will keep everyone updated if this pushes my application through or not.

bcoco14
10-06-2009, 06:32 PM
Well holy crap only less than 3 hours after I sent out the e-mail.

Your Retraining Application Status is HQ AFPC PROCESSING(3) as of 06 OCT 2009.

jdogg2
10-06-2009, 08:00 PM
Well, I was just hanging out on leave and look what I found.

Logged into the VMPF and here it is:

Your Retraining Application Status is AWAITING CLASS SEAT (AFPC)(5) as of 05 OCT 2009.

I will continue to post as I get updates.

Im on the same boat, status 5 since Sep 23... i wonder if they will meet all their quotas before assigning class seats...

BigBaze
10-07-2009, 02:20 PM
It's good to see everyone getting class dates! I am coming home from my first deployment on the Kc10 tomorrow, but will be back out here in January...41 flights, 4.5 million pounds of fuel offloaded...good times. Good luck to all of you, you are in for a great ride with your new jobs.

drag0ness
10-07-2009, 11:31 PM
Spoken like a true big MAC dude. Folks, don't be led astray by this guy. C-5 slots are near impossible to come by anyway, and the KC-10 is not taking new FEs (I think that's still the way it is). What do you call climbing up to altitude & cruising along until it's time to land? BORING! While those guys may see more varied places right now, there's no level like low-level!

Well I actually got assigned a C5 and so did another guy in my class and a whole class above me got KC10s as well as someone in my class... Everyones taking more FE's. Although the guys in my class that got 60's are waiting till next june/may before IQT starts. The schools are definitely backlogged.

drag0ness
10-08-2009, 12:36 AM
Did anyone attend SERE training right after BFE? I'm asking because I intend to drive to Lackland and I'm wondering if anyone made the drive from Lackland to fairchild or if they flew.

I drove to lackland from Mcguire, then flew to Fairchild and back to Lackland and drove to Mcguire.

akruse
10-08-2009, 11:24 AM
Just talked to a dude at the comissary here who is headed to McDill to fly on the C-37's. Lucky bastard.

BigBaze
10-08-2009, 06:51 PM
Spoken like a true big MAC dude. Folks, don't be led astray by this guy. C-5 slots are near impossible to come by anyway, and the KC-10 is not taking new FEs (I think that's still the way it is). What do you call climbing up to altitude & cruising along until it's time to land? BORING! While those guys may see more varied places right now, there's no level like low-level!

I got picked up as a new FE for KC10, and they just opened it up to new FE's again, we are losing a lot of high end techs and masters to desk jobs at Scott AFB...if you want banking and turning you are right, the -10 does nothing of the sort, the only time we go low is to refuel an MC130, AC130 or EC130 or A10..if you want to travel a lot of places the -10 is the jet for you, for me it is rewarding enough providing the fuel to CAS aircraft looking after our guys on the ground..especially during the craziness that went on during the elections in Afghanistan and during the last weeks. We just got a guy up here coming off MC130's and he is just getting used to not flying low altitude anymore:)

fallenight
10-09-2009, 12:16 AM
im currently at littlerock just waiting for my physical to com back from afpc or whoever gets it for activ duty i currently work AFE and desided id rather fly then work on the helmets this forum has helped alot and thx for starting it big hope your deployment was fun for you. well back to work i suppose.:)

Spunjah413
10-10-2009, 09:59 PM
im currently at littlerock just waiting for my physical to com back from afpc or whoever gets it for activ duty i currently work AFE and desided id rather fly then work on the helmets this forum has helped alot and thx for starting it big hope your deployment was fun for you. well back to work i suppose.:)

Hey man what sqdn do you work in? I just got here and awaiting my class for IQT starting in December. Im at the 61st.

Max Power
10-11-2009, 01:32 AM
Hey man what sqdn do you work in? I just got here and awaiting my class for IQT starting in December. Im at the 61st.

I'll be at Little Rock for my IQT next month. Let me know if you guys want to meet up for some beers or something.

jdogg2
10-13-2009, 06:06 PM
any luck with dates yet?

bcoco14
10-13-2009, 06:16 PM
I'm still status 3 for a week now. I see some people go from 3 to 6 in a matter of days and some go 3 to 5 in a few weeks. I wonder why it is different at this stage? You would think that after all the inital review to make sure everything is complete is would be a quick process from 3 to 5.

imported_ANALYST
10-13-2009, 06:20 PM
any luck with dates yet?

Man, still waiting in status 5. I cant wait until they appear. I just got back from leave and wish I could extend for a few more weeks.

imported_ANALYST
10-13-2009, 06:23 PM
I'm still status 3 for a week now. I see some people go from 3 to 6 in a matter of days and some go 3 to 5 in a few weeks. I wonder why it is different at this stage? You would think that after all the inital review to make sure everything is complete is would be a quick process from 3 to 5.

Well, I jumped from 3 to 5 in no time. The real wait has been and still is status 5. Just hang in there man, you are not the only one. Also, AFPC will tell you that you probably will not make the first board. Yet, I did and was approved. AFPC has been giving me bad information for a while now.

jdogg2
10-13-2009, 06:28 PM
Well, I jumped from 3 to 5 in no time. The real wait has been and still is status 5. Just hang in there man, you are not the only one. Also, AFPC will tell you that you probably will not make the first board. Yet, I did and was approved. AFPC has been giving me bad information for a while now.

I wonder why AFPC does not give correct information and why they don't care about thier job. I look at it this way, they hold your military career in their hands but they don't give a flip about it. Is there anything or anyone that can do something about it?

imported_ANALYST
10-13-2009, 06:33 PM
I wonder why AFPC does not give correct information and why they don't care about thier job. I look at it this way, they hold your military career in their hands but they don't give a flip about it. Is there anything or anyone that can do something about it?

Not that I know of. One thing though, if you contact AFPC through email or the question application. You get better answers than you would if you called them. For example...I called a few months ago inquiring about early retraining, I was basically told that there is no way I could do that. Well, five minutes later I send out a question and later that day I receive all the correct information I was looking for.

bcoco14
10-13-2009, 06:40 PM

I fall under NCORP so I don't go to a board. I'm hope I go 5 by the end of this week though.

bcoco14
10-13-2009, 06:41 PM
Whats realy sad is I have to redo my class 3 physical on the 26th because mine expires in Feb and there only good for 2 yrs.

imported_ANALYST
10-13-2009, 06:46 PM
Whats realy sad is I have to redo my class 3 physical on the 26th because mine expires in Feb and there only good for 2 yrs.

Well, hopefully your physical will go as smoothe as mine. Just get names and emails, that way you can inquire about it from time to time.

bcoco14
10-13-2009, 07:05 PM
Well, hopefully your physical will go as smoothe as mine. Just get names and emails, that way you can inquire about it from time to time.

Not worried about that realy I know I'll pass and because I'm current right now I don't have to do they Med history review which they say is the longest part. They told me less than a month. I was just throwing out the fact that I'm coming up on 2 yrs for this whole process and I'm still waiting.

imported_ANALYST
10-13-2009, 07:10 PM
Not worried about that realy I know I'll pass and because I'm current right now I don't have to do they Med history review which they say is the longest part. They told me less than a month. I was just throwing out the fact that I'm coming up on 2 yrs for this whole process and I'm still waiting.

Okay, I will be patient and stop complaining about my status change. What in the world could be holding your stuff up that long?

bcoco14
10-13-2009, 08:30 PM
Okay, I will be patient and stop complaining about my status change. What in the world could be holding your stuff up that long?

Some of it was me most of it was them. I didn't do my research and ended up accepting what they told me when I could have just got an ETP letter. Then FY requirements and my DEROS didn't match so I was told to reapply. Well I got an assignment before the new FY quotas came out so I had to wait for the PCS. Then I made Tech and there were no slots open for anything I wanted so I had to wait for the new list to come out. Even having what I thought to be all my ducks in a row AFPC couldn't figure out what they wanted and what they didn't. So here I sit now with the light at the end of the tunnel. I'm just praying they don't turn off the switch for something stupid.

fallenight
10-13-2009, 11:40 PM

i am in the 62nd building and insp the student helmets, along with the instructers of course so i may have met you already. so im here most night mon thru friday so if you get bored come on down just sya your looking for the guy retraining in flight engineer lol.:)

daftcon
10-14-2009, 03:50 AM
62nd huh? im so ready to be done with that place. not that the people are horrible, im just ready to be doin what i've been training for for the past year.

Jot
10-15-2009, 01:24 AM

I got a 1042 today from the clinic. I emailed them last week, and they emailed me back yesterday and said it was ready to pickup. I guess I'm good to go now.

c5engineer
10-15-2009, 02:46 AM
I got a 1042 today from the clinic. I emailed them last week, and they emailed me back yesterday and said it was ready to pickup. I guess I'm good to go now.

You are ready now. You may have read that it's good for two years on this forum, but you also should have read that it isn't according to the AFI. Now that you have a 1042 it is good only until the end of your birth month and then you need an abbreviated flight physical (no bloodwork, ekg and chest xray never again, foot prints etc.). If you look at ETCA it will tell you not to show up at LRAFB with a physical or chamber that will expire before 30 days AFTER your grad date. Don't do it because they send people back home to get one and LRAFB's flt med is about the worst I've seen. Ask Daftcon. They didn't notice until a couple of weeks before we started sims that his paperwork wasn't all in order.

Speaking of the devil, Adam how is the 62nd treating you? The Tennessee Guard is frickin' awesome. Granted, we don't fly anything more than two ship formations here, everything else is bad ass. I do my first real assault work on NVG's tomorrow night!!!

bcoco14
10-15-2009, 08:11 AM
You are ready now. You may have read that it's good for two years on this forum, but you also should have read that it isn't according to the AFI. Now that you have a 1042 it is good only until the end of your birth month and then you need an abbreviated flight physical (no bloodwork, ekg and chest xray never again, foot prints etc.).

Funny my 2 yr comes up in Feb I have a curent 1042 saying Feb. I have scheduled my abbreviated flight physical for 2 weeks from now but they still take X-rays bloodworrk and I'm told a new EKG. The only thing they don't to is the long medical background check.

Jot
10-15-2009, 09:09 AM
You are ready now. You may have read that it's good for two years on this forum, but you also should have read that it isn't according to the AFI. Now that you have a 1042 it is good only until the end of your birth month and then you need an abbreviated flight physical (no bloodwork, ekg and chest xray never again, foot prints etc.). If you look at ETCA it will tell you not to show up at LRAFB with a physical or chamber that will expire before 30 days AFTER your grad date. Don't do it because they send people back home to get one and LRAFB's flt med is about the worst I've seen. Ask Daftcon. They didn't notice until a couple of weeks before we started sims that his paperwork wasn't all in order.

Thanks for the tip. That cuts my 1042 short about 3 months.

defytone
10-15-2009, 09:13 AM
62nd rules!! I love having to commit the whole -1 to memory. Then having to get a new -1 issued a week before my check ride!!!

c5engineer
10-15-2009, 01:56 PM
Funny my 2 yr comes up in Feb I have a curent 1042 saying Feb. I have scheduled my abbreviated flight physical for 2 weeks from now but they still take X-rays bloodworrk and I'm told a new EKG. The only thing they don't to is the long medical background check.

The AFI hasn't changed. I started flying in September of 93 and my 1042 is good until November when I'm due an abbreviated. Once you've done the chest x-ray and ekg on your initial you don't do it again. Unless you have some kind of waiver that requires those items or they lose crap. As for blood work, you may take some for certain things occasionally(HIV if your deploying), but you shouldn't be doing full bloodwork except on a full physical.

If your new, which I am assuming so if I'm wrong I apologize in advance, your 88 will be good for two years, but when a flight doc issues a 1042 it's good for a year and will expire on the last day of your birth month. Some things are changing like you scheduling your own physical now and that it will no longer be tied to your birth month. I'm not sure when those come into effect.

Straight out of 48-123 V4

1.1.1.1. Frequency. Accomplish PHAs at the frequency listed in AFI 48-123 Volume 1, Medical
Examinations and Standards – General Provisions, Attachment 2. Annual examinations are usually
scheduled in the three months prior to expiration, but may be scheduled as early as 6 months
prior.
1.1.1.2. All flight physicals are still to be performed annually by the end of an individual’s birth
month.

I tried to pull up vol 3 which will tell you what is in an abbreviated, but it wouldn't show itself (not on the portal).

c5engineer
10-15-2009, 03:01 PM
62nd rules!! I love having to commit the whole -1 to memory. Then having to get a new -1 issued a week before my check ride!!!

Just know what changed. Are they issuing an FCIF outlining the changes? We have an idiot from the 62nd over here in Tennessee. The guy just came off AD and he's an idiot. I think they're trying to keep him away from me because he jumped my shit about a checklist not being up to date and it turns out all the ones issued are all #$%#^^& up!

Good luck on your checkride. I'm glad I didn't have to fly E models just because I won't generally fly them. H2's are awesome as hell and the A/C works great!

Freelancer
10-15-2009, 04:39 PM
The AFI hasn't changed. I started flying in September of 93 and my 1042 is good until November when I'm due an abbreviated. Once you've done the chest x-ray and ekg on your initial you don't do it again. Unless you have some kind of waiver that requires those items or they lose crap. As for blood work, you may take some for certain things occasionally(HIV if your deploying), but you shouldn't be doing full bloodwork except on a full physical.

If your new, which I am assuming so if I'm wrong I apologize in advance, your 88 will be good for two years, but when a flight doc issues a 1042 it's good for a year and will expire on the last day of your birth month. Some things are changing like you scheduling your own physical now and that it will no longer be tied to your birth month. I'm not sure when those come into effect.

Straight out of 48-123 V4

1.1.1.1. Frequency. Accomplish PHAs at the frequency listed in AFI 48-123 Volume 1, Medical
Examinations and Standards – General Provisions, Attachment 2. Annual examinations are usually
scheduled in the three months prior to expiration, but may be scheduled as early as 6 months
prior.
1.1.1.2. All flight physicals are still to be performed annually by the end of an individual’s birth
month.

I tried to pull up vol 3 which will tell you what is in an abbreviated, but it wouldn't show itself (not on the portal).

Just another excerpt for those retraining into FE or other flying jobs.

48-123 v1 3.1.6. Flying class III initial medical examinations are valid within 24 months of entry into training. If the certified physical examination will expire during formal technical training, the examination may be extended by the local SGP up to 48 months from the date of the initial certified examination, after which a PHA is required.

daftcon
10-15-2009, 05:17 PM
dude kevin didnt u read drew's post? the 62nd rules!! ask him about the electrical fire checklist. im sure he can spout that off like a champ (insert sarcastic tone). no but its goin good. that guy who was in our life support class that just came over from ramstein is my instructor. hes cool. but me being his first student, its really kind of trial and error for both of us.

we started nvg stuff last night. all ske cuz the weather was crap at the dz. more of it tonite tho. do u have to come back here to out process or do we have to send our farewells from here? =(

c5engineer
10-15-2009, 07:34 PM
dude kevin didnt u read drew's post? the 62nd rules!! ask him about the electrical fire checklist. im sure he can spout that off like a champ (insert sarcastic tone). no but its goin good. that guy who was in our life support class that just came over from ramstein is my instructor. hes cool. but me being his first student, its really kind of trial and error for both of us.

we started nvg stuff last night. all ske cuz the weather was crap at the dz. more of it tonite tho. do u have to come back here to out process or do we have to send our farewells from here? =(

Awesome. That guy seemed cool. Our instructors are laid back and the H2 is cool. They wanted to get me out of here after just a couple of flights and I was like, "hell no I want them all!" Tonight is my first NVG assault action and the weather is going to cooperate so I'm pretty stoked.

I am all done with LRAFB. I'll keep in touch with you guys and find out how your doing. I will never forget the Electrical Fire checklist because the idiot from the 62nd over here asked me what the first three steps were and for some reason I spouted off loss of essential AC. Then he started lecturing me and the other instructors had to let him know that actually I was all over it. Now I've probably jinxed myself:)

Mikes doing pretty well. It's a little newer for him, but no problemos!! We've been enjoying SKE/vis routes and cruisin' the Alabama, Tennessee countryside.

Have fun!!!

As for the post about the initial physical, all true, but you get a 1042 to clear you for flying and it's only good for a year. That rule is to get you through all the initial crap in case you have time between schools or other breaks in training. If you have a current 1042 good for two years more power to you. After training it will definitely be good only for a year or until they DNIF you for something.

Good luck all

imported_ANALYST
10-16-2009, 04:39 PM
Well, I am just sitting at work checking the status of my retraining and a RIP comes down for a CANX of assignment. I had oreders to Korea and did not even know it. I guess my retraining finally caught up and they CANX them. Still waiting for status 6.

CBRrider
10-17-2009, 11:05 PM
i have been approved to retrain to flight engineer. is there anything i should know before i leave? while im at school will i be on TDY status or will i lose my BAH and BAS? how long does it take to get a class date?

bcoco14
10-17-2009, 11:37 PM
i have been approved to retrain to flight engineer. is there anything i should know before i leave? while im at school will i be on TDY status or will i lose my BAH and BAS? how long does it take to get a class date?

Approved as in your now status 5 or approved as in your eligalbe to retrain into that. Theres a HUGE difference in the to. If your status 5 it could take up to 6 weeks to get class dates but you should already know that from the e-mail you get from AFPC. If its the later , and I'm assuming it is, you haven't been approved for anything yet. You have to get a class 3 flight phycial and what ever waviers or ETP letters you need to geather and then submit your package even then its no garentee you will get approved, although I haven't heard of anyone getting disapproved yet.

CBRrider
10-17-2009, 11:43 PM
Yea I’m on status 5, and ready to leave today for class. I have never been impatient until I started this retraining. is there anything I should know about school, sere, ect....?

bcoco14
10-17-2009, 11:45 PM
Yea I’m on status 5, and ready to leave today for class. I have never been impatient until I started this retraining. is there anything I should know about school, sere, ect....?

That I can't help you with as I am curently status 3 but if you want to take the time to read through the 190+ pages I'm sure all you questions should be answered lol. Just curious how long did it take for you to go from status 3 to 5?

CBRrider
10-17-2009, 11:48 PM
well the board reviews the packages on the last duty day of the month. i put all my paper work in on sep 18th and i was a status 5 on oct 5th. when did you put all your paper work in?

bcoco14
10-17-2009, 11:50 PM
well the board reviews the packages on the last duty day of the month. i put all my paper work in on sep 18th and i was a status 5 on oct 5th. when did you put all your paper work in?

7 Oct I went status 3 But because I fall under the NCORP I was told my package doesn't go to a board.

imported_ANALYST
10-18-2009, 12:00 AM

I also went status 5 on the 5th of October. There are a couple of us on here that are awaiting class dates. Maybe they will be dropping soon. Good luck and be patient, well that is what AFPC just told me.

Also, I put my paperwork in on the 24th of September.

bcoco14
10-18-2009, 12:06 AM
I also went status 5 on the 5th of October. There are a coupe of us on here that are awaiting class dates. Maybe they will be dropping soon. Good luck and be patient, well that is what AFPC just told me.

Also, I put my paperwork in on the 24th of September.

Are you both under Careeres retraining. Maybe I just got some bad info and I do go to a board.

imported_ANALYST
10-18-2009, 12:35 AM
Are you both under Careeres retraining. Maybe I just got some bad info and I do go to a board.

Yeah, I am under CAREERS and I believe some of the others are too. I deffinately know you dont meet the same board that we do. There is something on here that explains all of that, Im not totally sure exactly where it is.

Spunjah413
10-18-2009, 01:21 AM

You will be on TDY status. You will still recieve BAS and BAH respectively along with Perdiem and Familey Sep if you are married. Class dates can vary, but usually are not far behind once you are status 5. Mine went from 5 - 6 (Class dates are issued at 6) in 1 day, others up to a week and possibly more. As long as you hit 5 your in like Flynn.

imported_TJC78
10-19-2009, 12:41 PM

There's already a TON of info on here about all the schools you'll be going to. Yeah, it's almost 200 pages of stuff to read, but chances are your questions have already been answered.

mojo
10-20-2009, 08:54 PM
I was just wondering if anyone that is included in the NCORP bucket has recieved notification on whether or not they were selected?

merchant5967
10-21-2009, 01:06 AM
I'm thinking about crosstraining into FE but the thing is I didn't pass the depth perception test at MEPS. I took an alternate test before I came in and passed with flying colors though. Is it possible to get a waiver for this?

Gunner7
10-21-2009, 01:18 AM
I'm thinking about crosstraining into FE but the thing is I didn't pass the depth perception test at MEPS. I took an alternate test before I came in and passed with flying colors though. Is it possible to get a waiver for this?

There is no waiver for depth perception for 1A0, 1A1, 1A2, 1A3, and 1A7. These folks have to scan outside of the aircraft. I would most definitely apply and let the flight surgeon determine if you are qualified. The AF has plenty of people who believe they do not have depth perception because some med tech at Meps wanted to go on a smoke break and hurried the test. Good luck with it!

merchant5967
10-21-2009, 01:51 AM
There is no waiver for depth perception for 1A0, 1A1, 1A2, 1A3, and 1A7. These folks have to scan outside of the aircraft. I would most definitely apply and let the flight surgeon determine if you are qualified. The AF has plenty of people who believe they do not have depth perception because some med tech at Meps wanted to go on a smoke break and hurried the test. Good luck with it!

Well that sucks I coulda sworn there was. I'll try anyway just to make sure. Anyways, thanks for the reply.

Gunner7
10-21-2009, 02:08 AM
Well that sucks I coulda sworn there was. I'll try anyway just to make sure. Anyways, thanks for the reply.

You might hear of the odd FE with a DP waiver but it is a sketchy subject. The new AFI calls for DP on a Class III flight physical when the career field manager indicates it as a prerequesite. This can be found in the AF enlisted classification directory. I checked the October version and it is not current with CFM guidance. Take for example the 1A3 speciality. While the majority of people in the AFS will spend their time inside the fuselage away from a window, some might be assigned to AFSOC and have to perform scanner duty. It would be hard to manage an AFS by coding members as unusable for certain assignments within the same AFS.

imported_SUPERSTAR
10-21-2009, 03:06 AM

Take the test again...there is no time limit and I suggest you take long blinks while looking at it! At MEPS 15 yrs ago, I failed and thought my DP was horrible. I took the test a year ago and passed with flying colors. Use the take your time and long blink method! Good Luck!

merchant5967
10-21-2009, 03:11 AM
I was under the impression that DP was required for a ClassIII flight physical but as long as you could pass three additional DP tests you would be eligablr for a waiver, though there was no guarentee you'd get one. That's what I was told by a friend of mine who works in the Flight Medicine clinic.

imported_ANALYST
10-21-2009, 03:54 AM
Take the test again...there is no time limit and I suggest you take long blinks while looking at it! At MEPS 15 yrs ago, I failed and thought my DP was horrible. I took the test a year ago and passed with flying colors. Use the take your time and long blink method! Good Luck!

Yeah man, those long blinks help. It was much easier when I took it at MEPS compared to when I took it for my Class III.

Golther
10-21-2009, 05:12 AM
Even though I passed with flying colors at MEPS when I did my Class III they made me do it over again.

fallenight
10-21-2009, 10:47 AM
i bomed it at meps too, just retook it a few months ago took me few minutes longer but i did pass so just do the test during flight physical and you will probably pass it.:)

imported_TJC78
10-21-2009, 03:14 PM

Just to piggyback on this, if you shut your eyes as tightly as possible between lines, it's even better than just taking long blinks.

Max Power
10-21-2009, 03:43 PM
Just to piggyback on this, if you shut your eyes as tightly as possible between lines, it's even better than just taking long blinks.

You cheater.

imported_TJC78
10-21-2009, 03:44 PM
You cheater.

Haha. Hey, my recruiter was the one that taught me that little trick.

Soon2beexloadtoad
10-22-2009, 05:44 PM
So... I just picked up my orders and they state "Meals: All government meals are available and directed. (Government Rate) Lodging: Lodging is available and directed. (Government Rate)". I called the Kelly Inn, where my reservations are, and they told me that they will only give me a letter stating that Kelly does not have a chow hall. I've read this before on the forum but I was wondering if having this statement on my orders and not being able to get a real non-availability letter will screw me in the long run. I'm heading down there Monday so any help on this matter is appreciated.

BigBaze
10-22-2009, 08:00 PM
I was under the impression that DP was required for a ClassIII flight physical but as long as you could pass three additional DP tests you would be eligablr for a waiver, though there was no guarentee you'd get one. That's what I was told by a friend of mine who works in the Flight Medicine clinic.

I am an active flyer and I fail the depth perception test, and yes, all tey do is 3 alternate tests which I found easy as hell. We actually have an FE in Stan/Eval that has a permanent depth perception waiver

merchant5967
10-22-2009, 10:48 PM
I am an active flyer and I fail the depth perception test, and yes, all tey do is 3 alternate tests which I found easy as hell. We actually have an FE in Stan/Eval that has a permanent depth perception waiver

Well that makes me feel better. lol

imported_SUPERSTAR
10-23-2009, 12:57 AM
So... I just picked up my orders and they state "Meals: All government meals are available and directed. (Government Rate) Lodging: Lodging is available and directed. (Government Rate)". I called the Kelly Inn, where my reservations are, and they told me that they will only give me a letter stating that Kelly does not have a chow hall. I've read this before on the forum but I was wondering if having this statement on my orders and not being able to get a real non-availability letter will screw me in the long run. I'm heading down there Monday so any help on this matter is appreciated.

Mine say the same thing and I'm getting the "good" per diem staying at Kelly Inn right now. You should be just fine. You will love Kelly, I feel bad for the fools who stay at Lackland. Get paid barely nothing or put a little effort in to get a better rate...

fallenight
10-23-2009, 11:33 AM
well finally got the last of my paperwork in for physical and its running up threw the MDG and to AETC now, my waist stuff was bad hope that dose not kill me o well wish me luck.:thumbup:

imported_TJC78
10-23-2009, 12:52 PM

You'll be fine. Just make sure you get that letter.

Edit: You may have to wait until you file your final travel voucher to actually receive the $54/day rate. The Formal Training office here told me they couldn't amend my orders until I was done with my training. YMMV.

Soon2beexloadtoad
10-23-2009, 01:25 PM
You'll be fine. Just make sure you get that letter.

Edit: You may have to wait until you file your final travel voucher to actually receive the $54/day rate. The Formal Training office here told me they couldn't amend my orders until I was done with my training. YMMV.

So are you saying that I will need to have my orders ammended when I return home to recieve the full per diem rate?

imported_TJC78
10-23-2009, 01:50 PM
So are you saying that I will need to have my orders ammended when I return home to recieve the full per diem rate?

Possibly. I've heard of people having their orders amended while they were in training, but for some reason my Formal Training office said they couldn't do it until I was done with my TDY.

Spunjah413
10-23-2009, 02:51 PM
No, you do not need any kind f amendment to recieve Full Perdiem at Kelly. At the front desk ask them for the NA slip/ No meals letter. It doesn't look like a real NA slip, but at the very bottom of the page it has a note which states that Kelly Inn does NOT have a dinig facility. make sure that when you do your accrual voucher to include a photo copy of said piece of paper, and write in the comment box that you are entitled Full Perdiem. They may mess up your voucher, but just call them up and let em know the same thing. It all worked out for me and a few buddies, and I went threw BFE in May.

hendrickson2
10-24-2009, 03:49 AM
Just a quick note. Finished BFE yesterday; glad that phase is over! For everyone out there. Prepare to study. You'll have plenty of homework, trust me! Good luck to all of you! Next up, is IQT which doesn't start until February! Well SERE is January, but I'm actually looking forward to getting up there and get it over with.

Dave

bcoco14
10-24-2009, 06:51 AM
Well just an update. I'm still in status 3 for over 2 weeks now but I did inquire with AFPC today so hopefully I'll hear back something next week. If not I might just call the CEA recruiter and see what he has to say.

That aside I was supposed to go in for another flight physical on Mon because my 2yr expires in Feb but public health called to cancel today because a change in the AFI allows them to extend my current one out and my 1042 until the end of formal training. But since I haven't got class dates or final approval for that matter how am I supposed to know when the end of formal training is? They told me to guess when that could be. So do I go 6 mo, do I go a yr, shoot how about 2. Well I still have to see the fight doc on Mon at least. Just not sure what I'm gonna tell him