PDA

View Full Version : Flight Engineer retraining

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

ArcticFox
07-14-2009, 10:31 PM
Made it to Block 3 BFE :banana:

Aeromech, There is a DSL hardline in our rooms at the Kelly Inn - pretty sure people over at the gateway inn have the same set up. The DSL is painfully slow, I can tether my phone and running off the "3.5" G At&t network I'm running more than 3 times as fast as the DSL.

My advice, when you (or anyone) decides to call and get a room, just call the kelly inn directly instead of calling whatever billiting number they give you and try to make a reservation here instead of them picking. Thats what I did. Kelly Inn is much better than the Gateway - its off base so you get an increase in your food allowance, and there is no gate you have to go through. It's roughly a 15 minute dive from Kelly to Forbes Hall.

As far as the flight suit comment, the uniform of the day for students (as it clearly states in the student syllabus) Blues - any combo Monday and Friday, and ABU/BDU Tues-Thurs. Does not say ABU/BDU/BAG (although I wish it did because I have all my stuff and that would be sweet!) - but really you want to earn it so that way when you wear it to class the first time you're like - yea - I'm awesome.

Well, good luck to everyone who is in the process to, or is already retraining!

-Fox, out.

Damastas
07-14-2009, 10:49 PM
I spoke too soon -

Your Retraining Application Status is APPROVED - AFPC(6) as of 14 JUL 2009.
Retraining AFSC: 1A311
Projected Course Start Date: 04 AUG 2009

I landed my first choice, the 1A3 slot. Looks like an awesomely close class date - I have a lot to do before I get done.

From what I can tell that I need to do, I need to:

1. Get my supervisor to sign/approve my RIP and leave en route to TDY form.
2. Get CC sig on training RIP.
3. Bring training RIP back to the base training office.
4. Reenlist.
5. Contact the med group (do I need to contact flight medicine?) to get all of my medical records (I assume that is what the SF 66 is, correct?) 1042 from May that I used for my retraining package should still be good.
6. A week prior contact the school house and then Kelly Inn to book billeting.

Am I missing anything significant?

jav
07-14-2009, 10:59 PM
I spoke too soon -

I landed my first choice, the 1A3 slot. Looks like an awesomely close class date - I have a lot to do before I get done.

4. Reenlist.
5. Contact the med group (do I need to contact flight medicine?) to get all of my medical records (I assume that is what the SF 66 is, correct?) 1042 from May that I used for my retraining package should still be good.

Damastas,
Did you get your rip as well, I also got status 6 today. I got my second choice 1a0x1. I didnt receive my rip, or maybe i wasn't looking in the right place.
Thanks. btw start aircrew fundamentals 19feb10

Damastas
07-14-2009, 11:04 PM
Damastas,
Did you get your rip as well, I also got status 6 today. I got my second choice 1a0x1. I didnt receive my rip, or maybe i wasn't looking in the right place.
Thanks. btw start aircrew fundamentals 19feb10

Mine was sent to me in an email from the civilian guy who works in the education office. He is the one who always gives me hassle about my TA forms being wrong, so I was kind of surprised to see the RIP come from him. But I guess Edu office = Training office here.

jav
07-14-2009, 11:08 PM
Mine was sent to me in an email from the civilian guy who works in the education office. He is the one who always gives me hassle about my TA forms being wrong, so I was kind of surprised to see the RIP come from him. But I guess Edu office = Training office here.

Cool. Thanks. btw that's awesome you got an early class date. O well, at least i can see light at the end of the tunnel, just having that 6 is awesome enough.

TheDude
07-14-2009, 11:27 PM
I spoke too soon -

4. Reenlist.

From what I read on the SF88/1042, they are valid 2 years for training... Go ahead & call Kelly now and reserve your room... doesn't hurt.

Damastas
07-14-2009, 11:29 PM
From what I read on the SF88/1042, they are valid 2 years for training... Go ahead & call Kelly now and reserve your room... doesn't hurt.

What is the SF 88 though? Nothing I can find quickly on e-pubs/google.

imported_usafcrewchiefb2
07-15-2009, 02:46 PM
I spoke too soon -

4. Reenlist.

how did u get such a damn fast class start date?!?! thats insane...i got my package aprroved (status 6) back in february and i still dont start class until october 2...congrats on the acceptance...and feel lucky cuz most of us have to wait 5+ months before we start our classes...

Damastas
07-15-2009, 03:21 PM
how did u get such a damn fast class start date?!?! thats insane...i got my package aprroved (status 6) back in february and i still dont start class until october 2...congrats on the acceptance...and feel lucky cuz most of us have to wait 5+ months before we start our classes...

I think it has to do with the AFSC.. I think there are still 16 FY 09 billets for 1A3, was 18 when I applied - they're probably trying to fill them as fast as possible before the FY is up and they lose the slots.

TheDude
07-15-2009, 05:50 PM
What is the SF 88 though? Nothing I can find quickly on e-pubs/google.

It should be in there with the 1042, it's only one page- you should already have it.

BigBaze
07-15-2009, 07:33 PM
Yeah, do not wear your bag to BFE at all, you will be chewed out and sent home to change:)

TheDude
07-16-2009, 11:17 PM
Yeah, do not wear your bag to BFE at all, you will be chewed out and sent home to change:)

I hope someone does it so I can laugh @ them...

imported_AeroMech78
07-17-2009, 01:07 AM

Alright, I give up. What's the bag?

Kegler
07-17-2009, 01:29 AM

I refer to it as my Airplane Pajamas:)

imported_AeroMech78
07-17-2009, 02:12 AM
Yeah I figured we were talking about the flight suit but, I've never heard it called "the bag". One piece zip up, I get it now

kenton
07-17-2009, 04:50 AM
Status 6!!!.... fundies 8 Jan.... BFE 29 Jan!! The wait doesnt bother me too much.... I already knew the earliest class date I would get was going to be December because of my DEROS.....

Freelancer
07-17-2009, 01:13 PM
Fundies Jan 22, BFE FEB 11. Since I'm coming from overseas I'll have to PCS to my gaining base which should hopefully make knowing my airframe a little easier. Just finished sending my paperwork up to complete my order cancelation. Still awaiting my training RIP so I can get that sucker signed off and get the retention required. Although I do have a class end date, re-enlistments says there's a section on the rip that deals with the retention portion that I just have to have an officer sign off and route it back up to them.

I wish I had found this message board a long time ago. I had to do everything while deploying as well. Thankfully I had the great idea to get the physical done prior to my deployment. (about 2 days before D day.)
Concidering this base had absolutely nothing in it, needless to say to say, getting the required retraining items presented new and interesting challenges. For those that are training early CAREERS( 24 months for 4 years, 36 for 6 years,) you don't need an ETP for it anymore. You are given an early retraining CAREERS letter that you initial next to all the blocks now and then sign. They don't require the commander signature since the commander(or his designated rep) in this case is SUPPOSED to review all of your extra paperwork prior to digitally signing. This was at least how it was explained to me. When you retrain early under CAREERS they need the commander's permission instead of the ETPs which reqs commander's endorsement for permission from HQ.

Had to do an ETP though for going past my DEROS retraining window though. If overseas you have to make sure that both windows are overlapping in order to submit your request. The DEROS window is 15-8 months for a COMPLETED forms. Personally had an ETP up in about 10 minutes, took it to my NCOIC for review and had it sent off back at home station to get signed by the commander. Got it scanned back by someone at home and I submitted as I did all my other required documents. As was stated before, where you see the area of the form that asks for functions' mailbox, put in your commander's e-mail address. Also make sure you at least call the secretary to give the commander a heads up with what's going on as well.

Had it all finallized and submitted around June 28th and my status got bumped from 3 to 5 on the 1st of July.
Hopefully my troubles help someone else in the future who is lucky enough to find this website PRIOR to submitting crosstraining paperwork.

Greetings and salutations. Thank you all for offering up a warm atmosphere and excellent source of information for future hopefuls. Hopefully to see others around here with the same class dates.

kenton
07-17-2009, 01:51 PM
Fundies Jan 22, BFE FEB 11. Since I'm coming from overseas I'll have to PCS to my gaining base which should hopefully make knowing my airframe a little easier. Just finished sending my paperwork up to complete my order cancelation. Still awaiting my training RIP so I can get that sucker signed off and get the retention required. Although I do have a class end date, re-enlistments says there's a section on the rip that deals with the retention portion that I just have to have an officer sign off and route it back up to them.

I wish I had found this message board a long time ago. I had to do everything while deploying as well. Thankfully I had the great idea to get the physical done prior to my deployment. (about 2 days before D day.)
Concidering this base had absolutely nothing in it, needless to say to say, getting the required retraining items presented new and interesting challenges. For those that are training early CAREERS( 24 months for 4 years, 36 for 6 years,) you don't need an ETP for it anymore. You are given an early retraining CAREERS letter that you initial next to all the blocks now and then sign. They don't require the commander signature since the commander(or his designated rep) in this case is SUPPOSED to review all of your extra paperwork prior to digitally signing. This was at least how it was explained to me. When you retrain early under CAREERS they need the commander's permission instead of the ETPs which reqs commander's endorsement for permission from HQ.

Had to do an ETP though for going past my DEROS retraining window though. If overseas you have to make sure that both windows are overlapping in order to submit your request. The DEROS window is 15-8 months for a COMPLETED forms. Personally had an ETP up in about 10 minutes, took it to my NCOIC for review and had it sent off back at home station to get signed by the commander. Got it scanned back by someone at home and I submitted as I did all my other required documents. As was stated before, where you see the area of the form that asks for functions' mailbox, put in your commander's e-mail address. Also make sure you at least call the secretary to give the commander a heads up with what's going on as well.

Had it all finallized and submitted around June 28th and my status got bumped from 3 to 5 on the 1st of July.
Hopefully my troubles help someone else in the future who is lucky enough to find this website PRIOR to submitting crosstraining paperwork.

Greetings and salutations. Thank you all for offering up a warm atmosphere and excellent source of information for future hopefuls. Hopefully to see others around here with the same class dates.

Congrats on getting your class dates... It looks like we will be at lackland around the same time.. What airframe are you hoping to get? I want HH-60's but if they give me something else I wont complain..

Freelancer
07-17-2009, 02:08 PM
Shooting for C-130s. But I will be happy with any fixed wing personally.

BigBaze
07-17-2009, 06:38 PM

Yeah, you'll hear the rest of the enlisted force refer to us as the "bag wearers", we are a hated bunch:)

mejsa276
07-18-2009, 11:12 AM
Ok, so I haven’t had time to read all the post because there are just over 100 pages, but i have a few questions I hope can be answered by someone on here.
Today I received two different rips from my amu's UDM. One is a formal training rip which is pretty straight forward I get my supervisor to sign and the forward it to my CC to sign then return to mpf. After it is returned I’m assuming that’s when ill get the info on how the TDY will work. The other on I got no one knows what it is or which office handles it. The first page of it says voluntary retraining into afsc 1a111 is approved. The next block says I’m scheduled for a retraining interview but the date and times are blank. The next section has two check boxes pertaining how long the school will be and how ill pcs. The next page is for me to sign and acknowledge that I am accepting my retraining. That’s were I sign and someone from the mpf signs, but no one in mpf that I have talked knows anything about this rip. So right now I’m sitting stuck with the rip and all afpc is telling me is that there is a retraining person at my mpf, but my mpf is telling me that there is no such person.

imported_BuffBeerCrewChief
07-18-2009, 06:05 PM
Ok, so I haven’t had time to read all the post because there are just over 100 pages, but i have a few questions I hope can be answered by someone on here.
Today I received two different rips from my amu's UDM. One is a formal training rip which is pretty straight forward I get my supervisor to sign and the forward it to my CC to sign then return to mpf. After it is returned I’m assuming that’s when ill get the info on how the TDY will work. The other on I got no one knows what it is or which office handles it. The first page of it says voluntary retraining into afsc 1a111 is approved. The next block says I’m scheduled for a retraining interview but the date and times are blank. The next section has two check boxes pertaining how long the school will be and how ill pcs. The next page is for me to sign and acknowledge that I am accepting my retraining. That’s were I sign and someone from the mpf signs, but no one in mpf that I have talked knows anything about this rip. So right now I’m sitting stuck with the rip and all afpc is telling me is that there is a retraining person at my mpf, but my mpf is telling me that there is no such person.

When I got my 2 Training rips from Formal Training I got my EAUC class and my BFE class. None of which scheduled me for an Interview. Regardless of what mpf tells you there is a 1AXXX person at mpf which handles training and assignments you just have to find the one person that knows what the hell is going on. The best advice I can give you is talk with your units training manager or the one that handles your rips and have them shoot emails to mpf asking for answers.

TheDude
07-20-2009, 12:58 AM
Headin' out tomorrow for class, cant wait to get down there.

FrkyMnky1487
07-20-2009, 03:35 AM
First off I wanted to say thanks for everyone that has posted. There is a ton of information in this thread and it has answered many questions that I have had.

That being said, I was wondering where everyone was getting the 48mo retainability requirement? When I take a look at the retraining link on VMPF it shows under the notes that 36mo is all that is required. If this is the case and I x-train at my early mark for 1A AFSCs then I can extend until Tech school has been completed and then I can re-enlist in the 1A AFSC getting the SRB. Someone please tell me that I am reading all of the AFIs and regs correctly as getting an SRB on top of simply being an FE would be like icing on the cake.

Also, when you submit your request for retraining on VMPF, do you have to do your ETP for a feeder AFSC then or do you submit it once your request has been approved and you are actually putting in all of your paperwork for FE?

bfowler82
07-20-2009, 02:29 PM
You do not need the ETP for the retraining request, however if your request is approved it is part of the paperwork you will have to turn in to submit the application.

imported_usafcrewchiefb2
07-20-2009, 06:25 PM
anybody know what the reg or standard is for braces if your a flight engineer...can you have them going into training or would it be better to wait until training we over and then go get them...can you even have them as a flight engineer?? just curious...bored i guess you can say...waiting to leave for training...

kenton
07-20-2009, 09:32 PM
Got my two training RIPS today... I will march them around to my supervisor and the commander tomorrow. Any of you overseas guys know how long it took to get an assignment after gaining retainability? Just wondering if I should stretch my re-enlistment out to gain the max effect... or if it will hold up my assignment.

imported_KnuckleDragger
07-21-2009, 01:24 AM
Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this very informative thread!

.I applied in August and AFMC came back and said I needed to lose weight....so I went on a running spree and lost about 35 lbs....so if I get accepted it definately will be a great accomplishment.

What instructions do they use for the weight standards? I think somewhere in this thread someone referenced the chart in 48-123v2 Attachment 4(weight limitts for Accessions). Is this accurate? If so, I also need to lose about 30 lbs.

I have bad vision in fact I fail my depth perception

Baze, Did you apply for a waiver/ETP in your initial retraining, for failed depth perception? I will most definitely do poorly on the depth perception test tomorrow, and am trying to figure out what will happen.

I also had PRK 4 years ago, Can those of you that got this waived give me any advice?

Any rumors on the NCORP FY10 TSgt quotas coming in a few weeks? Would it be wise to submit an ETP for FTA and MSgt slots(1 up/1 down)from the get go, on my initial package regardless of opening numbers?

AfricanSnowOwl
07-21-2009, 01:44 AM
If your a FTA and cross trained early at the 2 year mark, it is possible to get the SRB for this career field. According to the AFI you can cancel your extension within 30 days of graduating BFE and reenlist as a 1a1x1, so long as your at the base where you'll be working as an FE. Or if that doesn't work(like it didn't for me), you can get your commander to sign your extension paperwork canceling it. Then the MPF chain of command has to approve of that, and then you'll be able to reenlist rather than enter an extension, and get the SRB for this career field. Thats what I just went through.

kenton
07-21-2009, 05:56 AM
What instructions do they use for the weight standards? I think somewhere in this thread someone referenced the chart in 48-123v2 Attachment 4(weight limitts for Accessions). Is this accurate? If so, I also need to lose about 30 lbs.

According to that chart I was 25lbs overweight also. I had no problem passing the physical though. I dont know if it was a one time mistake... or if they have relaxed the use of the chart.

bfowler82
07-21-2009, 05:30 PM
KnuckleDragger, I had to get a waiver for PRK that I had done back in 05. The waiver process took quite a while for coordination, over a month if i remember correctly. It was all done through flight medicine and optometry. Just make sure they put in for the waiver right away after your physical, if not before.

BigBaze
07-21-2009, 07:46 PM
Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this very informative thread!

Baze, Did you apply for a waiver/ETP in your initial retraining, for failed depth perception? I will most definitely do poorly on the depth perception test tomorrow, and am trying to figure out what will happen.

I also had PRK 4 years ago, Can those of you that got this waived give me any advice?

Any rumors on the NCORP FY10 TSgt quotas coming in a few weeks? Would it be wise to submit an ETP for FTA and MSgt slots(1 up/1 down)from the get go, on my initial package regardless of opening numbers?

On my initial physical I "passed" the depth perception, they took pity on me:) I failed it on my first recurring physical in April and they did three alternate tests which are 10 times easier and I passed easily. I know we have an instructor engineer that has a permanent depth perception waiver. And yes, the weight chart in 48-123 is the one they used. It wasn't an issue when my med group did the physical, but it was when it was sent up to Air Force Materiel Command for approval. My best advice is, when your med group asks you your weight, look at that chart and tell them a couple pounds under the max weight for your height:) weight is only an issue for your initial physical, not for your recurring one

BigBaze
07-21-2009, 07:48 PM
Fully mission qualified! I am off to the desert tomorrow for my deployment, it's good to see so many people are finding this thread, and getting class dates. I am pretty sure I will be able to check in on the thread while I am over there. Good luck all!

Baze

FrkyMnky1487
07-21-2009, 08:27 PM
Fully mission qualified! I am off to the desert tomorrow for my deployment, it's good to see so many people are finding this thread, and getting class dates. I am pretty sure I will be able to check in on the thread while I am over there. Good luck all!

Baze

Well if I see a -10 land tomorrow Ill know who is on it... Enjoy your time out here.

CharlieHotel
07-22-2009, 12:01 AM
hey everyone. i'm new to this forum. plenty of useful info for anyone xtraining to FE. i just got status 6 as of july 15. my class date starts oct 30. anyone else bound for late oct or early nov?

imported_KnuckleDragger
07-22-2009, 12:50 AM
I couldn't qualify on any version of the depth perception test the eye doctor gave me today. He tried to help me as much as he could, just wasn't happening. The flight Doc is routing the paperwork now. The way I understand it, I will either be waivered immediately, sent to ASC(Brooks) for more testing, or ouright denied. He said I should hear back in 6-8 weeks.

I went to the HAWC to be measured(neck and AC). Looks like I am at 29%, but need to get down to 24%.

Having PRK alone should not be an issue for anyone, but the flight Doc still applies for a waiver.

BigBaze
07-22-2009, 11:56 AM
Well if I see a -10 land tomorrow Ill know who is on it... Enjoy your time out here.

I will probably see you around, look for a tall guy in a desert flight suit:) when you see my last name you'll recognize me, since my nickname on here is part of it.

imported_usafcrewchiefb2
07-22-2009, 01:10 PM

Baze

congrats on becoming mission Qd...thats awesome bro...just reading that post from you makes me want to get this ball moving even more now...i dont know how much longer i can take sitting around and passing out candy bars and pop...startin to really piss me off...wish they would have kept me on the line and not back in support...i hate taking care of TOs...

32 days of work left...

mejsa276
07-22-2009, 02:32 PM
hey everyone. i'm new to this forum. plenty of useful info for anyone xtraining to FE. i just got status 6 as of july 15. my class date starts oct 30. anyone else bound for late oct or early nov?
Hey CharlieHotel ill be there starting 30 Oct also se you there.
I was wondering if anybody has a colpleat list of all the required items for school.

imported_usafcrewchiefb2
07-22-2009, 06:40 PM
I was wondering if anybody has a colpleat list of all the required items for school.

everyone will tell u a few different things...make sure u got all ur blues clothing...mondays and fridays are blues combo days...and graduation is in service dress ive been told...hand carry ur med records...make sure u have an up to date 1042 to keep you from being DNIFd before chamber training...if i were you i would just bring all ur cross training papers since the very beginning...

as for sere...there is a list on the SERE page on the portal...it has all the required items you will need...and then the ETCA site has all the reporting instructions with a few extra notes as far as what to take as well...just gotta piece it all together...

BigBaze
07-22-2009, 08:13 PM
congrats on becoming mission Qd...thats awesome bro...just reading that post from you makes me want to get this ball moving even more now...i dont know how much longer i can take sitting around and passing out candy bars and pop...startin to really piss me off...wish they would have kept me on the line and not back in support...i hate taking care of TOs...

32 days of work left...

Thanks man! Once you start, time is gonna fly, you are going to be doing so much training both down at BFE and when you get to your flight school, that a year will pass and you will be mission qualified and wonder where the time went, hang in there, I ran the snack bar for awhile before i left, no I am flying the world, all you guys will do fine.

BigBaze
07-22-2009, 08:15 PM
I couldn't qualify on any version of the depth perception test the eye doctor gave me today. He tried to help me as much as he could, just wasn't happening. The flight Doc is routing the paperwork now. The way I understand it, I will either be waivered immediately, sent to ASC(Brooks) for more testing, or ouright denied. He said I should hear back in 6-8 weeks.

I went to the HAWC to be measured(neck and AC). Looks like I am at 29%, but need to get down to 24%.

Having PRK alone should not be an issue for anyone, but the flight Doc still applies for a waiver.

They told me they might have to send me to Brooks when I failed my depth perception in April, but from what I hear from a couple of the engineers here who went through that, Brooks will do some tests and most likely give you a waiver. Talking to my flight doc he says it is much harder for boom operators and pilots to have it waived, but engineers it is much more likely to happen. Kepp us in the loop how it goes!

imported_KnuckleDragger
07-22-2009, 08:45 PM
They told me they might have to send me to Brooks when I failed my depth perception in April, but from what I hear from a couple of the engineers here who went through that, Brooks will do some tests and most likely give you a waiver. Talking to my flight doc he says it is much harder for boom operators and pilots to have it waived, but engineers it is much more likely to happen. Kepp us in the loop how it goes!

From what I hear, people that are already fliers do get the waiver easy. I'm worried that they won't want to put there money into me if I need a waiver to even get in. Only time will tell. I will let everyone know how it turns out.

CharlieHotel
07-22-2009, 09:40 PM

so what base r u coming from? u flying or driving to Lackland?

Max Power
07-22-2009, 10:47 PM
Just found out that I got my first pick for an assignment. I got EC-130's at Davis-Monthan. Don't know what the other guys in my class got yet. I'm going to be downing a beer or two tonight. :cool:

CharlieHotel
07-23-2009, 12:37 AM
Just found out that I got my first pick for an assignment. I got EC-130's at Davis-Monthan. Don't know what the other guys in my class got yet. I'm going to be downing a beer or two tonight. :cool:

hey, well is that what u wanted? was it ur first choice? also, are most of the students that go through class wanting fixed wing or helos? thanks

imported_TJC78
07-23-2009, 12:44 AM
hey, well is that what u wanted? was it ur first choice? also, are most of the students that go through class wanting fixed wing or helos? thanks

Uh, reading comprehension ftw dude. He said he got his first pick in his first sentence. ;)

Max Power
07-23-2009, 01:07 AM

Yes, it was my first choice. There are 2 or 3 people that want helo's in our class and the other 7 or 8 want fixed wing.

Soon2beexloadtoad
07-23-2009, 03:06 AM
I also have start dates of 30 Oct. I hope I can make it. I'm stuck in Afghanistan without a solid return date right now. I really hope I'm home in time because I'm eager to get the ball rolling on my training. It's good to see that two of my potential class mates are on here though.

imported_usafcrewchiefb2
07-23-2009, 03:12 PM
where are u at in afghanistan right now?? i got a buddy i work with stateside that is over there right now...im sure u will be back...hopefully they remember u have class dates and get u on the first flight out of there for your rotations return home...

anybody startin class oct. 2?? so far ive only seen one other person...and he is a buff crew chief...so im sure we will get along since were both bomber crew...anyone else??

07-24-2009, 01:46 AM
where are u at in afghanistan right now?? i got a buddy i work with stateside that is over there right now...im sure u will be back...hopefully they remember u have class dates and get u on the first flight out of there for your rotations return home...

anybody startin class oct. 2?? so far ive only seen one other person...and he is a buff crew chief...so im sure we will get along since were both bomber crew...anyone else??

Psh...... This is WAR! :)

mejsa276
07-24-2009, 07:26 AM
so what base r u coming from? u flying or driving to Lackland?
Im driving from Nellis, and ill be driving my POV. What about you?

imported_TJC78
07-24-2009, 11:52 AM
Got my assignment yesterday. Looks like I'll be flying DV transport on UH-1s in Yokota. Wasn't anywhere near what I expected since it was way down on my list, but I'm happy about it.

imported_usafcrewchiefb2
07-24-2009, 01:25 PM
Psh...... This is WAR! :)

WAR eh?! hahaha

Well at least you cant see mine coming in to drop em'....

Although your airframe is pretty badass...

jcs21480
07-24-2009, 04:46 PM
I am in the first stages of my process for flight engineer retraining. Yesterday I went and got my lab work and radiology done and now I'm waiting to see a flight surgeon. In the e-mail that I got from AFPC, it said that I was qualified for FE and member can apply as an ETP. What does ETP mean? Also, do I need to go ahead and submit my retraining application? If so how do I go about doing that? This is my first time retraining and it seems very confusing. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

CharlieHotel
07-24-2009, 06:17 PM
Uh, reading comprehension ftw dude. He said he got his first pick in his first sentence. ;)

ooops! my bad. just ready to get out of this hell hole here and start flying. can't think straight. :)

CharlieHotel
07-24-2009, 06:21 PM
Im driving from Nellis, and ill be driving my POV. What about you?

i'll be taking my POV also. so how do u like nellis? thats gonna be my first pick since i want to get on helos really bad. i'm at holloman now so i guess the scenery isn't all that different. whats the primary mission that the black hawks do there? ever get to speak with the FEs there?

07-24-2009, 06:57 PM
I am in the first stages of my process for flight engineer retraining. Yesterday I went and got my lab work and radiology done and now I'm waiting to see a flight surgeon. In the e-mail that I got from AFPC, it said that I was qualified for FE and member can apply as an ETP. What does ETP mean? Also, do I need to go ahead and submit my retraining application? If so how do I go about doing that? This is my first time retraining and it seems very confusing. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

ETP= Exception to policy you need a letter to retrain

07-24-2009, 06:59 PM
WAR eh?! hahaha

Well at least you cant see mine coming in to drop em'....

Although your airframe is pretty badass...

Gota be able to take off before you can drop em'

Im still stuck loading the drag chute good ole 60's technology

TheMrs
07-24-2009, 07:03 PM
Got my assignment yesterday. Looks like I'll be flying DV transport on UH-1s in Yokota. Wasn't anywhere near what I expected since it was way down on my list, but I'm happy about it.

congrats on getting the huey!!

kenton
07-24-2009, 07:16 PM
i'll be taking my POV also. so how do u like nellis? thats gonna be my first pick since i want to get on helos really bad. i'm at holloman now so i guess the scenery isn't all that different. whats the primary mission that the black hawks do there? ever get to speak with the FEs there?

Yeah... im a little interested in this as well.... my wife says Nellis or bust.... Does anyone have any insight on the FE slots there??

CharlieHotel
07-24-2009, 10:57 PM
i went to MPF today to extend the 48 months that's required after the graduation date from BFE but they said since i was a first term airman that i could only extend for 23 months at the most, but that i could cancel my extension 30 days from graduation and reenlist right after. does anyone know about this or have had to do it? also, does this career field have a reenlistment bonus and if so how much? thanks

imported_AeroMech78
07-25-2009, 01:10 AM
i went to MPF today to extend the 48 months that's required after the graduation date from BFE but they said since i was a first term airman that i could only extend for 23 months at the most, but that i could cancel my extension 30 days from graduation and reenlist right after. does anyone know about this or have had to do it? also, does this career field have a reenlistment bonus and if so how much? thanks

Not sure about the AD side but, on the Reserve side, it's critically manned at several of the C-130 bases. I'm looking at a 20K sign-on bonus if everything checks out.:D

Freelancer
07-25-2009, 02:11 AM

My MPF didn't have a clue as to how much time left I needed afterwards so they wanted me to call AFPC. After calling AFPC, they said that the requirement is 36 months after graduation from BFE. For many FTA that would actually require re-enlisting. Since I am an early CAREERS retrainee, I can instead just do the 23month extention. If your MPF is saying 48 months then you need to reconfirm with AFPC since they are technically the retraining organization. Explain to them that your MPEF is telling you that you need 48 months retention and they should give you the details to help straighten them out. Talking with the AFPC guy he was saying that he's been getting a lot more calls from people who's MPFs don't have a damned clue about the retraining process beyond just getting the forms routed. Don't leave your career solely in the hands of MPF. You need to do everything you can to ensure everything goes through and on time.

kenton
07-25-2009, 07:38 AM
My MPF didn't have a clue as to how much time left I needed afterwards so they wanted me to call AFPC. After calling AFPC, they said that the requirement is 36 months after graduation from BFE. For many FTA that would actually require re-enlisting. Since I am an early CAREERS retrainee, I can instead just do the 23month extention. If your MPF is saying 48 months then you need to reconfirm with AFPC since they are technically the retraining organization. Explain to them that your MPEF is telling you that you need 48 months retention and they should give you the details to help straighten them out. Talking with the AFPC guy he was saying that he's been getting a lot more calls from people who's MPFs don't have a damned clue about the retraining process beyond just getting the forms routed. Don't leave your career solely in the hands of MPF. You need to do everything you can to ensure everything goes through and on time.

The reporting instructions for BFE say in bold you must have 48months retanability from your class grad date..... Where are you reading 36 months? I would really like to know.. considering im signing a five year contract on monday..... Any insight please..

Freelancer
07-25-2009, 01:35 PM
The reporting instructions for BFE say in bold you must have 48months retanability from your class grad date..... Where are you reading 36 months? I would really like to know.. considering im signing a five year contract on monday..... Any insight please..

Which reporting instructions are you talking about? When I ready through the BFE RIP is said nothing about the total amount of retention that I needed. It just had a simple paragraph that read that I had to get the required retention within about 10 working days from notification. I then immediately contacted my MPF who had no damn clue as to what the hell needed to get done. Leaving me only with a call to AFPC to get my answers. He looked up 1A1X1 and found it said 36 months from graduation of BFE. I should still be good since with the minimal 23 months I'm still a whole year over the 36 anyways. Just goes to show that MPF needs to spend more time on their closed training days to do some more damn training.

TheDude
07-25-2009, 10:07 PM

I think it says 36 months on the retraining advisory notes--- also, when I went to MPF to re-enlist, MPF had all the regs right there for retraining- it said that anyone excepted to 1A1 (and one other job, cant remember) needs to re-enlist to gain retainability, not sure what the reg was (sorry)... be careful though, the majority of people at MPF have no clue what they are talking about, so if they are telling you something that is wrong, don't hesitate to correct them-- they could give a damn if you retrain or not. Try searching for Air Force retraining regs online... I'm pretty sure it's 36 months though.

CharlieHotel
07-26-2009, 06:26 PM
well my mpf is saying that i can't extend no more than 23 months because i'm a fist term airman and i'm not within my reenlistment window. so i just went ahead and extended the 23 and hope when i get to school they don't make a big deal about it, and i can just reenlist right before graduation. also afpc is telling me the same thing as my mpf but mentioned something about a waiver if all else fails. when i looked at the report intructions on ecat.com, (i think thats the right site), it does say 48 months. can anyone who is in class now or has graduated confirm on this?

TheDude
07-26-2009, 09:53 PM
well my mpf is saying that i can't extend no more than 23 months because i'm a fist term airman and i'm not within my reenlistment window. so i just went ahead and extended the 23 and hope when i get to school they don't make a big deal about it, and i can just reenlist right before graduation. also afpc is telling me the same thing as my mpf but mentioned something about a waiver if all else fails. when i looked at the report intructions on ecat.com, (i think thats the right site), it does say 48 months. can anyone who is in class now or has graduated confirm on this?

Well, if you've already been accepted into the career field and have class dates, they have to let you re-enlist, i think thats in the reg... yeah, you can only extend so much if youre a fta... look in the reg man.

AfricanSnowOwl
07-26-2009, 11:06 PM
I was a FTA and recently crosstrained. I signed the 23 month extension, and then waited until I PCS'd to my new base and canceled the extension since it didn't start until like november. That way I was able to reenlist as an FE and get the SRB.

bfowler82
07-27-2009, 05:01 PM
I talked to a MSgt Strain at AETC about the re-enlisting/extending issue. He told me it is because as a FTA they cannot "make you" re-enlist until you actually graduate. I extended for the 23 months, which only gives me about 30 months retainability from when i show up the first day. I just have to re-enlist once i gradute and i will graduate since there is no way i am coming back to Mountain Home.

bfowler82
07-27-2009, 07:06 PM
For those already in training or have completed, when did you receive your orders to attend training? I have heard something about 10 days prior to class start date, but that doesnt seem to be very much time to prep. Do you actually receive orders? or do you create your own in DTS with a fund site from AETC? I am 2 weeks out and still dont have a clue how to proceed from here, and our UTM has no idea.

imported_usafcrewchiefb2
07-27-2009, 07:41 PM
ya i am in the same boat...i dont leave in 2 weeks tho...i dont start until oct 2...but i am still interested as to when orders drop...i know ill be ready to go way before i even get my orders...and since i am only out preocessing for a long tdy, it shouldnt take anymore than a day to c/w the outprocessing checklist...i know a couple who said they didnt get theirs till the day the were leaving...and a few said they got theirs when they were down there...u figure they would give them to you at like 2-3 weeks out to ensure you can get all the right stuff done and be good to go...but that would make sense and we all know how that works...

hope all is goin well for the guys down at lackalnd so far...keep us updated fellas...always good to hear who is goin where and what airframe the AF needs FEs on right now...see yall around...

kenton
07-28-2009, 08:50 PM
Im sure this has been covered once before... but i cant seem to find it. For you guys that Xtrained from overseas, did you get a call from the 1A CFM before they cut an assignment? How did the process work? Basically im trying to see if I need to try and call on some old friends or if the CFM will work with you on your assignment.

imported_Ollie
07-29-2009, 01:38 AM
Im sure this has been covered once before... but i cant seem to find it. For you guys that Xtrained from overseas, did you get a call from the 1A CFM before they cut an assignment? How did the process work? Basically im trying to see if I need to try and call on some old friends or if the CFM will work with you on your assignment.

I'm coming from overseas also. I was not contacted by anyone about an assignment, just filled out the dream sheet on the retraining application. It took a few months to get it after I was approved for retraining. Vmpf was updated first and I didn't get official notification from the Assignments office until almost two weeks later. They just sat on it for awhile because they were "backed up with work." F'in nonners.

bfowler82
07-29-2009, 09:24 PM
For those who have already left for training, how many travel days were you authorized? Did anyone drive? if you did drive, did you get extra time to drive? did you take leave en route?

Kegler
07-31-2009, 02:24 AM
I talked to a MSgt Strain at AETC about the re-enlisting/extending issue. He told me it is because as a FTA they cannot "make you" re-enlist until you actually graduate. I extended for the 23 months, which only gives me about 30 months retainability from when i show up the first day. I just have to re-enlist once i gradute and i will graduate since there is no way i am coming back to Mountain Home.

One thing they prob forgot to tell you. You can only cancel the extension and re up within 30 days of graduating tech school...wait longer than that...you are screwed!

Kegler
07-31-2009, 02:27 AM

Fill out your pref sheet. They usually wont call you. You can call the Aircrew Assignment functionals...not like most other fields where you have to be a MSgt or above to call. Call them...it is your career!

Kegler
07-31-2009, 02:31 AM
For those already in training or have completed, when did you receive your orders to attend training? I have heard something about 10 days prior to class start date, but that doesnt seem to be very much time to prep. Do you actually receive orders? or do you create your own in DTS with a fund site from AETC? I am 2 weeks out and still dont have a clue how to proceed from here, and our UTM has no idea.

You or your UTM needs to contact the Formal Training Manager at the MPE or Ed Office...where ever they reside on your base. It is they who cut your orders. Basic knowledge for a UTM...he must be a winner

imported_SUPERSTAR
07-31-2009, 02:31 AM
One thing they prob forgot to tell you. You can only cancel the extension and re up within 30 days of graduating tech school...wait longer than that...you are screwed!

So if you enter the extention and return from BFE you can cancel and reenlist as a Flight Engineer? They told me no when I asked them. Where can I find this in the reg?

Kegler
07-31-2009, 02:33 AM
So if you enter the extention and return from BFE you can cancel and reenlist as a Flight Engineer? They told me no when I asked them. Where can I find this in the reg?

Already entering the extension is a different issue. They are right

imported_SUPERSTAR
07-31-2009, 02:34 AM
Already entering the extension is a different issue. They are right

No bonus for me...

Laboi
07-31-2009, 03:08 PM
:D So after a month of extensive research lots of reading and lots lots and lots of phone calls I found a way to retrain and I'll be a ble to start my package next April!...I JUST have to extend my DEROS overseas for an extra 3 months ...I'm excited!

bfowler82
07-31-2009, 05:39 PM
Finally got my orders for training today, class starts next friday. I cant wait to get there, I am leaving tuesday to drive down. Anyone else start on the 7th of August?

Damastas
08-01-2009, 06:15 AM
Finally got my orders for training today, class starts next friday. I cant wait to get there, I am leaving tuesday to drive down. Anyone else start on the 7th of August?

You start fundies on August 7th? I'm leaving tomorrow to drive down to San Antonio for an August 4th fundies class start date.. seems kind of odd that they would have two separate classes going within three days together, but I guess I really have no clue how it works. Anyway, so yup, that's me.. I'll be down there for the 4 August class.

imported_usafcrewchiefb2
08-01-2009, 08:58 PM
ive only got 59 days and i leave for training myself...oct 2 start date...wish i could go into a coma for 58 days...

mojo
08-02-2009, 05:10 PM
Waiting on a PRK waiver to finish up my class IIII in hopes of cross training into FE.
How long after hitting the submit button does it usually take to hear a response back?
What are some the disqualifying factors for them to say no?
Do FE PCS often or can I expect to stay at the base assignment that they give me out of tech school for the remainder of my career?
Any help is appreciated.

kenton
08-04-2009, 10:52 AM
Waiting on a PRK waiver to finish up my class IIII in hopes of cross training into FE.
How long after hitting the submit button does it usually take to hear a response back?
What are some the disqualifying factors for them to say no?
Do FE PCS often or can I expect to stay at the base assignment that they give me out of tech school for the remainder of my career?
Any help is appreciated.

Well... Since no one has attempted to answer I will give you my input however small..... The only one I can answer with certainty is when you hit the submit button it will take anywhere from 1 week to 3 months to go in front of a board. That is all the info I have for you.... sorry bud.

kenton
08-04-2009, 10:57 AM
I wonder if I should start the count down yet or not.... 5 months to go until Fundies!! I should be receiving an assignment this week... I turned my list in to SMSgt Doss today with Nellis at the top... he made me list 8 bases... that was kinda hard to do when the wife had basically limited me to NV,AZ, CA, and FL (wife said I need to stay away from family....lol)

Max Power
08-04-2009, 08:26 PM
Passed Block 5 today. Four more blocks and a little over two weeks to go to get my wings.

imported_usafcrewchiefb2
08-05-2009, 01:17 PM
Alright fellas...i got a little clarification for us guys that are wanting to know when our orders will drop for the tdy to training...heres the process...

Chances are you orders are already cut and are sitting in a folder...once you sign your RIPS and turn them back in, they are given to the individual who actually cuts the orders...chances are they cut them right away and stashed them somewhere...unfortunately those orders have to be forwarded to AETC no earlier than 30 days prior to the start of your classes...once AETC receives them and verifies they are good, they will grant the orders to go through...they are then shipped back to your base and then given to you...they say it should only take 2 weeks for AETC to do all the number crunchin and ship them back...and if you dont have orders in your hand 2 weeks prior to leaving for training, start calling people and asking questions...

hope everyone is hanging in there...see yall down in TX soon...55 days

hendrickson2
08-05-2009, 09:11 PM
still haven't received orders yet for San Antonio and my first class date is 21 Aug. Anyone heading down there for this class date? I am waiting to hear back from Formal Training concerning my orders.

Gucci Boy
08-05-2009, 09:16 PM
I keep checking the Online Retraining Advisory for the FY10 FE slots for SSGT/TSGT and above to drop, but they still show all zeros except for the FTA. AFPC said that I need to wait to resubmit my package until the Career airmen slots open...does anybody know when that should be? AFPC told me this month sometime.

Gucci Boy
08-05-2009, 09:38 PM
I was a FTA and recently crosstrained. I signed the 23 month extension, and then waited until I PCS'd to my new base and canceled the extension since it didn't start until like november. That way I was able to reenlist as an FE and get the SRB.

You got the FE SRB the first time you re-enlisted after school? I was told that you had to wait until your second, or does it matter how many months after school you have completed as an FE in order to get FE SRB consideration?

mojo
08-05-2009, 09:56 PM
I keep checking the Online Retraining Advisory for the FY10 FE slots for SSGT/TSGT and above to drop, but they still show all zeros except for the FTA. AFPC said that I need to wait to resubmit my package until the Career airmen slots open...does anybody know when that should be? AFPC told me this month sometime.

Does this apply even if you do the ETP? Im waiting for a waiver to get back to finish out my Class III so I can finally hit submit, but im going for one of the FTA slots with an ETP. Were you originally denied because they are only accepting FTA
?

08-06-2009, 03:07 PM
With my Bfe starting here soon I was just wondering if anyone know's when you get loaded for your SERE class?

imported_Chris M
08-06-2009, 03:30 PM
still haven't received orders yet for San Antonio and my first class date is 21 Aug. Anyone heading down there for this class date? I am waiting to hear back from Formal Training concerning my orders.

I start class the same day as you and still havent received orders. I'm just going to get everything together that I can without them and then when I do get em I'll finish up. Good luck and see ya down there.

Gucci Boy
08-06-2009, 04:08 PM
Does this apply even if you do the ETP? Im waiting for a waiver to get back to finish out my Class III so I can finally hit submit, but im going for one of the FTA slots with an ETP. Were you originally denied because they are only accepting FTA
?

I applied last year for a FY09 SSgt slot, but was advised by APFC that I would have to wait until FY10 due to me being on a controlled tour as an AETC KC-10A Avionics Instructor, which is a 4 year tour. Now that I have a line number for TSgt I will have to apply for one of those slots. I just received a reply from AFPC however concerning when the Career airmen slots are due to open. They told me that the NCORP figures for FY10 have not been approved yet and there is no set release date for them yet, so I will need to check back on the Retraining Advisory daily and wait until they appear to submit my package again.

Gunner7
08-06-2009, 09:13 PM
I applied last year for a FY09 SSgt slot, but was advised by APFC that I would have to wait until FY10 due to me being on a controlled tour as an AETC KC-10A Avionics Instructor, which is a 4 year tour. Now that I have a line number for TSgt I will have to apply for one of those slots. I just received a reply from AFPC however concerning when the Career airmen slots are due to open. They told me that the NCORP figures for FY10 have not been approved yet and there is no set release date for them yet, so I will need to check back on the Retraining Advisory daily and wait until they appear to submit my package again.

Look for the FY 10 slots to drop 11 or 12 Aug. 50 SSgt, 32 TSgt slots should pop in. They will also load some of the 1U011 (UAS-Sensor Operator) slots as well.

Gucci Boy
08-06-2009, 09:15 PM
Look for the FY 10 slots to drop 11 or 12 Aug. 50 SSgt, 32 TSgt slots should pop in. They will also load some of the 1U011 (UAS-Sensor Operator) slots as well.

Thanks alot for the info! Mind me asking how you came up with those figures?

hendrickson2
08-07-2009, 03:20 AM
I start class the same day as you and still havent received orders. I'm just going to get everything together that I can without them and then when I do get em I'll finish up. Good luck and see ya down there.

Chris,

When are you heading down there? Do you have reservations already? Seems Kelly Inn may be the best route...per diem? From what I hear we really don't need to bring a lot down with us except for uniforms (blues service dress) and medical records. Is there really anything else I'm missing? I am thinking of heading down on the 18th or 19th? I'm driving down from LRAFB. I PCS'd from overseas and haven't done jack sh!& form about a month and a half.

Anyway, I am waiting to hear back from Formal Training, but if I don't then I'm going to drive down w/o them. This is B.S., we get our a$$es reemed if we don't get them done in DTS, but no one really says anything that I know of when these people don't get them to us? Maybe I'm missing something I don't know. Anyway, what is your name? Mine is David Hendrickson. I'll be looking for you. Later on man!

Dave

mejsa276
08-07-2009, 08:00 AM
Nellis is cool it has a very low ops tempo normally. I have spoken with a few FEs here at the 66 rescue sqg there mission here at home station is not to exciting. They dont go tdy much and have a high deployment rate. If you have any mor questions about the base or the Vegas aera let me know ill be happy to help you out.

GForce
08-09-2009, 01:52 PM
hi guys, Ive been following this post for some time and I am currently waiting on my flight physical which is soon, funny thing is I'll be deployed during the rest of the process. my question is has anyone on hear ever applied for BOP in conjunction with retraining? the reason I ask is because I've heard that most of the time they will keep you at your current base, but I dont want to be stuck in OK for the rest of my career, and AFPC said that I can use this method, I just wanted to know if anyone else has done this and succeeded,

G

08-09-2009, 05:59 PM
hi guys, Ive been following this post for some time and I am currently waiting on my flight physical which is soon, funny thing is I'll be deployed during the rest of the process. my question is has anyone on hear ever applied for BOP in conjunction with retraining? the reason I ask is because I've heard that most of the time they will keep you at your current base, but I dont want to be stuck in OK for the rest of my career, and AFPC said that I can use this method, I just wanted to know if anyone else has done this and succeeded,

G

You can apply for a BOP but like most people said the AF likes to save money so you have about a 80% chance to stay at Tinker. But dont get discouraged, a guy I know was an HH-60 crew chief at Nellis and they told him up until they day he got his assignment that he would be going back to Nellis but when he got his assignment it was AWACS at Tinker so dont allways go off what other people say. There is a slim chance that you can leave your base. The worst thing they can tell you is no.

GForce
08-09-2009, 11:28 PM
Yeah, thats what I prolly figured. I pray to god, if I get approved for retraining that they accept my BOP app, I just want to get back to Robins, its so much simplier and closer to home

kenton
08-10-2009, 06:30 PM
The retraining process is finally producing for me..... Just got my assignment to the 66th Nellis!! Considering its my birthday I would say its a pretty good B-day present. I have a RNLTD of 30 Nov 09! From what Ive heard the squadron is pretty cool!

imported_SUPERSTAR
08-10-2009, 06:35 PM
Glad to hear you got what you want! I hope I get one of my first 2 choices. Got less than a month left until I leave for Fundies. It's been a long 9 months! Anybody else start September 11th?

kenton
08-10-2009, 06:45 PM
Glad to hear you got what you want! I hope I get one of my first 2 choices. Got less than a month left until I leave for Fundies. It's been a long 9 months! Anybody else start September 11th?

I will be heading to class January 8.... You'll probally be finished by then

imported_SUPERSTAR
08-10-2009, 09:29 PM
Yeah done with that portion November 18th!

08-10-2009, 09:49 PM
The retraining process is finally producing for me..... Just got my assignment to the 66th Nellis!! Considering its my birthday I would say its a pretty good B-day present. I have a RNLTD of 30 Nov 09! From what Ive heard the squadron is pretty cool!

How did you get your orders allready? and how can I get my hands on some :)

kenton
08-10-2009, 10:32 PM
How did you get your orders allready? and how can I get my hands on some :)

no orders.. just an assignment.... im coming from overseas.... so they PCS you to your gaining unit.... trust me its the only perk Xtraining from overseas.... I guess there is another perk... if you happen to get an assignment b4 october... your dealing with FY10 slots that havent been touched yet..so that leaves a lot more open bases.... it sux though because you have to match up DEROS windows with DOS times.... and they dont give you a lot of notice.... I have less than 6 weeks to outprocess after going TDY on friday... if you want to call hanging out on the beach in Croatia a TDY...

imported_SUPERSTAR
08-10-2009, 10:47 PM
I'm worried about being the end of year FY09 numbers. I hope I get the base I want! Anybody down there have any thoughts on what's left for this year?

drag0ness
08-11-2009, 12:17 AM
The IS came and spoke to our class about something or other having to do with FY10 assignments but it really doesn't seem like there's any rhyme or reason to how they hand out assignments. Oh well. I graduate BFE in 2 days :cool:

Max Power
08-11-2009, 12:36 AM
I'm worried about being the end of year FY09 numbers. I hope I get the base I want! Anybody down there have any thoughts on what's left for this year?

All assignments going out right now are for FY10.

imported_SUPERSTAR
08-11-2009, 01:54 AM
All assignments going out right now are for FY10.

Nice! My chances might be better for what I want--I know AF needs come first. Just want a happy family!

imported_usafcrewchiefb2
08-12-2009, 01:24 PM
its pretty sad when i can get more information from a forum full of people from differents jobs then i can get from people who actually do the job i need them to do and anser my damn questions...

went down to outprocess my squadron and according to them i have to have my trip in DTS before they will sign me out...according to them i need my orders in hand before they will allow me to leave...according to MPF, i wont see orders until 1-2 weeks out...and of course, my buddy who just returned from Lackland says I am not required to do DTS since it is considered school and not an actual operational TDY...

10 different "must haves" that i dont have and one dont need that i dont know if i need...

anybody wanna clear this up? is DTS required for this trip or not? or doesnt matter? Orders i already know cant be processed until 30 days out from class dates...so ill see those eventually...

imported_Chris M
08-12-2009, 03:45 PM
its pretty sad when i can get more information from a forum full of people from differents jobs then i can get from people who actually do the job i need them to do and anser my damn questions...

went down to outprocess my squadron and according to them i have to have my trip in DTS before they will sign me out...according to them i need my orders in hand before they will allow me to leave...according to MPF, i wont see orders until 1-2 weeks out...and of course, my buddy who just returned from Lackland says I am not required to do DTS since it is considered school and not an actual operational TDY...

10 different "must haves" that i dont have and one dont need that i dont know if i need...

anybody wanna clear this up? is DTS required for this trip or not? or doesnt matter? Orders i already know cant be processed until 30 days out from class dates...so ill see those eventually...

Ok. Here is my understanding as far as DTS goes. If you get orders from formal training, DTS doesn't have to be used and you file a paper voucher at finance. For all other travel that require you to produce your own orders, you go through DTS.

chachikeno
08-12-2009, 06:00 PM

You DO NOT need to do DTS prior from leaving for this type of TDY but you DO NEED to have orders to outprocess from your unit. That is how it happened to me at least.

imported_TJC78
08-14-2009, 11:57 AM
Nice! My chances might be better for what I want--I know AF needs come first. Just want a happy family!

You guys just need to keep in mind that the assignment selection is a crapshoot. We had a few guys that got their first picks and a few that got nowhere near their first pick, like me. Don't get discouraged if you don't get what you want, you can always PCS or crosstrain to another airframe after 3 or so years.

imported_SUPERSTAR
08-15-2009, 05:25 AM
You guys just need to keep in mind that the assignment selection is a crapshoot. We had a few guys that got their first picks and a few that got nowhere near their first pick, like me. Don't get discouraged if you don't get what you want, you can always PCS or crosstrain to another airframe after 3 or so years.

I know its a crapshoot but the odds could be a little better...wishful thinking. I will be happy either way! Just want the homefront to be the same. Friend of mine got his 11th pick, AWACS in Oklamhoma. After a year there, he just got orders to Germany. Very lucky guy! He doesn't even know how it happened. Going on leave tomorrow for a week and then its back to Luke for 2 weeks before I head out to Fundies! It's been a long 9 months of waiting to go...

Kegler
08-15-2009, 10:25 PM
Anybody ever heard of aircrew members getting a letter from an optometrist that recommends dark tinted car windows for people with light sensitivity issues? I realize it's probably not a good idea to suggest you have any issues with your eyes but, I'm curious if this is a common request.

:rolleyes: YGTBFSM!! Probably need to have a letter asking to tint the windows on the aircraft too! :cool: If you have light sensitivity issues...you shouldnt be the the cockpit of a plane helping out the pilots clear traffic etc.

kenton
08-17-2009, 01:33 AM
Ok..... Let me try asking the question another way.

Anybody ever heard of aircrew members being able to convince an optometrist to write a letter that recommends car window tint. I've recently moved to a state where the window tint laws are more strict and I'm looking for ways to avoid having to strip the existing tint.

Seeing as how aircrew are often times issued shades to protect their eyes from UV rays and such, it doesn't seem all that unlikely that auto tint would fall under the same principle. Next time I'll just be more straight forward with my questions.

Howz this gonna work...... "but officer... I have a doctors note".... lol.... looks like you got two choices... rip the tint off.... or register your car in a different state.

chachikeno
08-17-2009, 01:42 AM

Anybody ever heard of aircrew members being able to convince an optometrist to write a letter that recommends car window tint. I've recently moved to a state where the window tint laws are more strict and I'm looking for ways to avoid having to strip the existing tint.

Seeing as how aircrew are often times issued shades to protect their eyes from UV rays and such, it doesn't seem all that unlikely that auto tint would fall under the same principle. Next time I'll just be more straight forward with my questions.

Is this a serious question?!! Why dont you just drive with sunglasses? I think some people are trying to take advantage of being aircrew!

Kegler
08-17-2009, 01:49 AM

Lets say you dont...this way you dont look more like and idiot than you do with even the rephrased question!:eek:

Mi11er
08-17-2009, 05:59 AM
Here is the only problem with your last statement....

Anonymous forums are the ONLY place that people that would normally get the shit kicked out of them CAN run their mouths. So its kind of expected. They have no where else to voice their opinion since it typically would mean there getting.... the shit kicked out of them more or less.

:)

CharlieHotel
08-17-2009, 09:58 AM
Lets say you dont...this way you dont look more like and idiot than you do with even the rephrased question!:eek:

lol. sorry AeroMech, but you set yourself up for this one. :tongue:

CharlieHotel
08-17-2009, 10:01 AM
wonder if you can tint your windows in your house too without paying a tint fee from the landlord! ;)

CharlieHotel
08-17-2009, 10:11 AM
Anybody ever heard of aircrew members getting a letter from an optometrist that recommends dark tinted car windows for people with light sensitivity issues? I realize it's probably not a good idea to suggest you have any issues with your eyes but, I'm curious if this is a common request.

yeah sure, i got a letter from an optometrist recommending my aircraft have the windows tinted. there's also a potty chair on board too for my sensitive ass! :eek:

imported_TJC78
08-17-2009, 11:49 AM
Look. Just because we're on an anonymous forum and I'm not at liberty to beat the crap out of you, doesn't mean you have to be rude. Keep in mind that some of us little people like using these forums for hypothetical questions. Regardless of how dumb you think the question is, try not to be such a jerk next time.

As for the others who would imply that I'm out to take advantage of being aircrew....lighten up. Just a simple yes or no question. No need for anything else to be said on this. It seems I got my answer. Sheesh!

Dude, seriously? If you can't take someone giving you a little crap from time to time, chances are you're probably trying to get into the WRONG career field.

Shake the sand out of your hoo-ha and move on.

akruse
08-17-2009, 01:03 PM
Dude, seriously? If you can't take someone giving you a little crap from time to time, chances are you're probably trying to get into the WRONG career field.

Shake the sand out of your hoo-ha and move on.

He said Ho-hah :)

Fissie
08-17-2009, 09:06 PM
So....how 'bout them Bears?

imported_usafcrewchiefb2
08-18-2009, 11:17 PM
well besides the past 2 pages being a rant and rave session....hows everyone doin down in Lackland? Who else has got assignments...and is anything new coming out we should be aware of?!

Max Power
08-19-2009, 01:46 AM
well besides the past 2 pages being a rant and rave session....hows everyone doin down in Lackland? Who else has got assignments...and is anything new coming out we should be aware of?!

Grad out on Thursday and finally get the hell out of here.

Kegler
08-19-2009, 02:40 AM
Getting called an idiot for asking an apparently naive question seems a bit unnecessary................."No" Check

Again, looks like I got a big ole bag of No's! Should go well with my wine

OK...I forgot about the kindler gentler AF we are in. I apologize for the idiot comment. But in my 24 year of doing this flying gig...that has to be one of the top 5 questions I have ever heard come from aircrew!

fallenight
08-19-2009, 11:33 AM
ya Except for the last few pages this thread has been a big resourse for me. I have just started my process I'm a almost 10 year E-5 trying to crosstrain in flight engineer. I am just finishing up my flight physical BP high so they have to do the waiver well the meds i was on was not keeping it low enough so another 5 d check and here hoping they get on with my waiver. anywho just to let folks who are also trying they updated the advisory for staff and techs have a good day.

imported_SUPERSTAR
08-19-2009, 01:41 PM
Thanks for getting us back on topic!

BigBaze
08-20-2009, 03:29 AM

I know the KC10 windshield is polarized already, so if you wear polarized sunglasses while in the cockpit..oops I mean flight deck...you'll see all sorts of colored rings...noone told me that when I got some nice prescription Oakleys with polarized lenses...found out the hard way lol

Golther
08-20-2009, 08:22 AM
I was wondering if anyone had the specific length of time it take to complete each specific airframe. I have been looking around everywere but I can not find any information even on the CEA website. I am mostly interesting in th KC-10 training but I would love to know as many others as possible.

BigBaze
08-20-2009, 09:38 AM
I was wondering if anyone had the specific length of time it take to complete each specific airframe. I have been looking around everywere but I can not find any information even on the CEA website. I am mostly interesting in th KC-10 training but I would love to know as many others as possible.

damn i type4d it all out and the computer locked up..here it is in a nutshell:

I started my KC10 precourse last October and became mission qualified this July, and on the same day I was flying to the desert on my first deployment:)

Golther
08-20-2009, 12:46 PM
So KC-10 is about a year thank you :) Anyone else have any other times for other airframes?

c5engineer
08-22-2009, 04:55 AM
Now that all the knuckledheaded discussion is finished I'll weigh in on airframe time. First by Baze's account it took him about 10 months, but it all depends on if you hit the flow just right. From C-5 TTU to MF (mission qualified flight engineer) it takes 14 months; I upgraded as early as they let me, but the usual is 300 hours. I'm finishing 130 training and it takes 7 months to be an MF. In the 130 world they just initiated reduced flying initial qual so for our initial qual portion we fly five sim rides that replace actual flights. From an experienced crew dog it is in no way realistic whatsoever and some people get screwed because they haven't started an engine in over a month when they get to that point.

Actually you walk out of the 130 FTU with a Form 8 (the only other form besides a 1042 that will matter in your world for the rest of your career) and it has a restriction on it that requires you get local indoc training (how your unit runs it's mission). I'm not sure about other frames, but the C-5 will be the maximum as it's a pretty complex aircraft.

Just be patient when your waiting for things to get rolling. Once your done it will seem like an instant in time.

VidMXGuy
08-22-2009, 08:08 AM
Now that all the knuckledheaded discussion is finished I'll weigh in on airframe time. First by Baze's account it took him about 10 months, but it all depends on if you hit the flow just right. From C-5 TTU to MF (mission qualified flight engineer) it takes 14 months; I upgraded as early as they let me, but the usual is 300 hours. I'm finishing 130 training and it takes 7 months to be an MF. In the 130 world they just initiated reduced flying initial qual so for our initial qual portion we fly five sim rides that replace actual flights. From an experienced crew dog it is in no way realistic whatsoever and some people get screwed because they haven't started an engine in over a month when they get to that point.

Actually you walk out of the 130 FTU with a Form 8 (the only other form besides a 1042 that will matter in your world for the rest of your career) and it has a restriction on it that requires you get local indoc training (how your unit runs it's mission). I'm not sure about other frames, but the C-5 will be the maximum as it's a pretty complex aircraft.

Just be patient when your waiting for things to get rolling. Once your done it will seem like an instant in time.

Yeah, I start FIQ for the new C-5 model in october and grad in march. Should be an exciting and hair pulling time!

BigBaze
08-22-2009, 01:55 PM

Yeah if you get KC10 you get to the schoolhouse within 2 months because the training is done in house, if you get McGuire or Travis you will PCS there first and then do all your training there because they have the school houses at both bases.

c5engineer
08-22-2009, 07:39 PM
Yeah, I start FIQ for the new C-5 model in october and grad in march. Should be an exciting and hair pulling time!

It's funny hearing a "new" C-5 model. It's just the AMP. There already exist C models, they are the space cargo module, or SCM, birds that carry NASA cargo. The C-5's you'll fly will just have glass cockpits with updated displays, but the systems will all be legacy(upgraded A and B models). It's just like what the 130 community has with H-3's except that they updated some airframe stuff. They've gone back and forth as to whether the A models will get the new engines, but the B models definitely will.

I laughed when I read that according to a very high ranking i#$%#@ the C-5 wasn't capable of carrying out the mission in Afghanistan or Iraq. Are you kidding? The C-17 can't hack getting that much cargo into the desert from anywhere but Ramstien. The C-5 was awesome. Taking off out of the desert at 820000 lbs and flying all the way to Navy North Island (triple A/R). Your not going to see that on a 17 or a 747.

BTW, for those of you on 130's their mission is awesome. Lots of flying low to the ground, yankin' and bankin'. Just remember there is plenty of action to go around and for those of you first termers you could spend the rest of your career as an engineer and then some.

imported_CV22chief
08-22-2009, 08:57 PM
Graduate BFE on Thurs. I can't to get the hell outa here. For all those headed this way, be prepared to study your asses off. I'm headed to FE Warren for UH-1s IQT Feb 2nd. All the headaches to get this point were worth it. Goood luck to alla ya

imported_AeroMech78
08-23-2009, 03:36 AM
Graduate BFE on Thurs. I can't to get the hell outa here. For all those headed this way, be prepared to study your asses off. I'm headed to FE Warren for UH-1s IQT Feb 2nd. All the headaches to get this point were worth it. Goood luck to alla ya

Congratulations on your achievement! I'm interested in reading about the study methods you used as well as your training experience with your fellow classmates. I like the idea of making the most of the training by using your classmates for study groups, feedback, etc. Did the instructors encourage this kind of teamwork? Did you have any setbacks? Were any of your fellow classmates unable to keep up with the pace of course? If so, what were the problem areas? I've been waiting for my physical to clear for about 3 months so, hopefully I will be able to get rolling this year.

BigBaze
08-23-2009, 04:24 AM
It's funny hearing a "new" C-5 model. It's just the AMP. There already exist C models, they are the space cargo module, or SCM, birds that carry NASA cargo. The C-5's you'll fly will just have glass cockpits with updated displays, but the systems will all be legacy(upgraded A and B models). It's just like what the 130 community has with H-3's except that they updated some airframe stuff. They've gone back and forth as to whether the A models will get the new engines, but the B models definitely will.

I laughed when I read that according to a very high ranking i#$%#@ the C-5 wasn't capable of carrying out the mission in Afghanistan or Iraq. Are you kidding? The C-17 can't hack getting that much cargo into the desert from anywhere but Ramstien. The C-5 was awesome. Taking off out of the desert at 820000 lbs and flying all the way to Navy North Island (triple A/R). Your not going to see that on a 17 or a 747.

BTW, for those of you on 130's their mission is awesome. Lots of flying low to the ground, yankin' and bankin'. Just remember there is plenty of action to go around and for those of you first termers you could spend the rest of your career as an engineer and then some.

I heard that the new C5M is a freakin monster with the new engines, I am already hearing rumors about the AF looking into more powerful engines and upgraded avionics for the -10, which would be unreal because we could always take off with the max 350,000 pounds of fuel or so. Another busy night here in the desert offloading gas, congrats to all you guys getting class dates and to you all graduating!

imported_CV22chief
08-24-2009, 12:02 AM
Congratulations on your achievement! I'm interested in reading about the study methods you used as well as your training experience with your fellow classmates. I like the idea of making the most of the training by using your classmates for study groups, feedback, etc. Did the instructors encourage this kind of teamwork? Did you have any setbacks? Were any of your fellow classmates unable to keep up with the pace of course? If so, what were the problem areas? I've been waiting for my physical to clear for about 3 months so, hopefully I will be able to get rolling this year.

Thanks. Basically the study method encouraged is study groups. Your other class mates may have picked up on something you missed, or some of them have a better grasp on the material than you so they can help you out. I think our class got lucky in the fact that we all got along really well. And everyone has a great attitude. No one really came in thinkin they new it all, and no one came in thinkin they were better than anyone else. We are about to be the 10th full class to graduate with out losing a classmate since BFE started here. Atleast thats what our First instructor told us, so we are all feelin pretty good about that. So all in all, it takes alot of teamwork and study groups, alot of individual time studying and coming in with a clear head and down to earth attitude. It is definitely not party time during the week. Save that for the weekends!

imported_CV22chief
08-24-2009, 12:04 AM
By the way, anyone here been thru UH-1 IQT? Or know anyone who has?

imported_AeroMech78
08-24-2009, 04:11 AM
Thanks. Basically the study method encouraged is study groups. Your other class mates may have picked up on something you missed, or some of them have a better grasp on the material than you so they can help you out. I think our class got lucky in the fact that we all got along really well. And everyone has a great attitude. No one really came in thinkin they new it all, and no one came in thinkin they were better than anyone else. We are about to be the 10th full class to graduate with out losing a classmate since BFE started here. Atleast thats what our First instructor told us, so we are all feelin pretty good about that. So all in all, it takes alot of teamwork and study groups, alot of individual time studying and coming in with a clear head and down to earth attitude. It is definitely not party time during the week. Save that for the weekends!

It sounds like you had an exciting time. I'm hoping my experience at BFE will also be rewarding. Did you or any of your classmates ever leave the state on your weekend? It would be nice to catch a flight once a month or so just to maintain the balance with the wife and child at home. I could catch a direct to Atlanta and be about 1.5 from the house.

xboomer
08-24-2009, 01:55 PM
I have a quick question that I hope someone can answer. I am a prior boom operator,but have been out of the service for several years. I have been selected for a Flight Engineers position at a local Air Reserve unit. I have been waiting for over two months for the approval from AFRC of my flight physical. Does any one know what could be the hold up?

Thanks

imported_TJC78
08-24-2009, 01:58 PM

I also got assigned to UH-1s, but the IQT is at Kirtland. Did you mean you got assigned to FE Warren?

imported_AeroMech78
08-24-2009, 02:41 PM
I have a quick question that I hope someone can answer. I am a prior boom operator,but have been out of the service for several years. I have been selected for a Flight Engineers position at a local Air Reserve unit. I have been waiting for over two months for the approval from AFRC of my flight physical. Does any one know what could be the hold up?

Thanks

I'm in the same boat. I took my physical nearly 3 months ago and I'm not getting any updates from the recruiter. I recall someone on here mentioning that us would-be reservists have to go through a slightly different approval process where all flight physicals must go straight to Reserve Command rather than local. Perhaps someone else can elaborate on this.

xboomer
08-24-2009, 05:09 PM
Sorry to hear that you are also waiting. I also have been told that our physicals are not approved at the local level. They are sent to Reserve HQ for approval. The problem is no one knows if I require any waivers or if I passed at all and no one seems to know who to contact to get the info. Frustrating!

imported_AeroMech78
08-24-2009, 06:00 PM
Sorry to hear that you are also waiting. I also have been told that our physicals are not approved at the local level. They are sent to Reserve HQ for approval. The problem is no one knows if I require any waivers or if I passed at all and no one seems to know who to contact to get the info. Frustrating!

I hear ya! I've actaully had more luck getting answers from my future section chief. He was actually the one who pulled strings to schedule my physical, not the recruiter. If you haven't already, get your unit involved so that your're not the only one nagging the recruiter. They may not have any more luck than you but, it will make you feel better! lol

imported_CV22chief
08-24-2009, 08:58 PM
I also got assigned to UH-1s, but the IQT is at Kirtland. Did you mean you got assigned to FE Warren?

Yeah i got assigned to FE Warren, going to kirtland on feb 2nd for IQT...when are you headed there?

imported_CV22chief
08-24-2009, 09:01 PM
It sounds like you had an exciting time. I'm hoping my experience at BFE will also be rewarding. Did you or any of your classmates ever leave the state on your weekend? It would be nice to catch a flight once a month or so just to maintain the balance with the wife and child at home. I could catch a direct to Atlanta and be about 1.5 from the house.

yeah i know a couple dudes that may or may not have snuck in a flight home or two. Its risky though cause flights get canceled and delayed...or if you got in an accident while you were home...but i guess if youre willing to take the chance and spend the money, go for it..

imported_TJC78
08-24-2009, 10:09 PM
Yeah i got assigned to FE Warren, going to kirtland on feb 2nd for IQT...when are you headed there?

FE Warren, huh? Yuck. I got assigned to Yokota, I wasn't exactly thrilled about it at first, but I'm starting to like the idea more and more.

I start IQT on Jan 10th, so chances are I'll see ya there.

CharlieHotel
08-25-2009, 01:51 AM
for anyone that is already a FE, whats the work shcedule like? what kinda hrs do u work? (when not deployed)

mejsa276
08-25-2009, 11:45 AM
does anyone know were i can get reporting instructions. im looking for things like whaen i need to show up who do i report to once im there and what i need to bring. im stuck in the dark right now because the only person in formal training is deployed right now and her replacement is tdy and no one is sure when he'll get back.

c5engineer
08-26-2009, 12:04 AM
I'm in the reserves now, but I can speak for C-5's in the reserves and AD. When your at home and your ARMS stuff is done (water survival, life support, tactics/intel etc.) you fly locals for training and preflight birds that may be going on a mission that day or the next. You are not in the squadron every day when your not flying. You call the scheduler and they let you know what's going on. You might come in for classes every now and then that are taught by your section's instructor engineers/evaluators. Maybe a sim support or your actual quarterly sims and a system refresher once a year.

In the 130 world it seems to be the same except that you deploy for four month rotations into the desert, whereas with the C-5 your flying missions weeks at a time. Honestly for 130 folks, I think the ops tempo isn't as bad as the C-5 because your not flying missions constantly. The C-5 flies lots of cargo all over the world (there aren't too many places you don't go) so while you see the world a lot, you miss your family a lot.

I can't speak for the KC-10's, but Baze has been around enough, if he gets time he'll chime in. 10's are a mixture of both missions and deployments and there aren't many tankers so my crystal ball tells me Baze is going to be one tired puppy unless the ops tempo slows!

imported_TJC78
08-26-2009, 12:10 AM
does anyone know were i can get reporting instructions. im looking for things like whaen i need to show up who do i report to once im there and what i need to bring. im stuck in the dark right now because the only person in formal training is deployed right now and her replacement is tdy and no one is sure when he'll get back.

https://etca.randolph.af.mil

You'll need the course ID numbers from your training rips, but it has all the info you need for all of your courses. You can only access it from a work computer though, unless you have a CAC reader at home.

imported_SUPERSTAR
08-26-2009, 05:24 AM
Anybody else start Sept 11th?

imported_usafcrewchiefb2
08-26-2009, 02:05 PM
anybody else start oct. 2??

imported_CV22chief
08-26-2009, 04:56 PM
FE Warren, huh? Yuck. I got assigned to Yokota, I wasn't exactly thrilled about it at first, but I'm starting to like the idea more and more.

I start IQT on Jan 10th, so chances are I'll see ya there.

I think one of the guys in my class starts Jan 10th also. Wish I started then. I'll definitely see ya there.
Yeah FE Warren, I'm niether thrilled or upset about that. I'll wait and see how it is up there. Its close to denver and salt lake city so there will be some good sights to see and what not. You will probably like yokota i've heard alot of good things about it. I'm sure you will see some cool shit while youre flyin around over there.

BigBaze
08-26-2009, 07:11 PM
I'm in the reserves now, but I can speak for C-5's in the reserves and AD. When your at home and your ARMS stuff is done (water survival, life support, tactics/intel etc.) you fly locals for training and preflight birds that may be going on a mission that day or the next. You are not in the squadron every day when your not flying. You call the scheduler and they let you know what's going on. You might come in for classes every now and then that are taught by your section's instructor engineers/evaluators. Maybe a sim support or your actual quarterly sims and a system refresher once a year.

In the 130 world it seems to be the same except that you deploy for four month rotations into the desert, whereas with the C-5 your flying missions weeks at a time. Honestly for 130 folks, I think the ops tempo isn't as bad as the C-5 because your not flying missions constantly. The C-5 flies lots of cargo all over the world (there aren't too many places you don't go) so while you see the world a lot, you miss your family a lot.

I can't speak for the KC-10's, but Baze has been around enough, if he gets time he'll chime in. 10's are a mixture of both missions and deployments and there aren't many tankers so my crystal ball tells me Baze is going to be one tired puppy unless the ops tempo slows!

Sure I'll add on, if you get Kc10's you'll go to Al Dhafra 2-3 times a year,now it is only for 77 days at a pop, and when you are home you'll do local training missions aswell as trips, we don't just do refueling runs we'll do cargo missions usually on the McGuire-Ramstein-Bagram etc legs. The KC10 is a massively sought asset for refueling because the Marines and Army can load 75 troops on it plus cargo and drag their F18's whereever they need to go.On Occasion you'll get the trip like hauling Tops in Blue around (*groan*) and we do the Silver Bullet missions, taking generals and stuff around, they put this pod called the Silver Bullet on the jet; it is like a suite for the generals and higher ups,and we'll take em where they need to go. We are on the road a lot, but you'll mostly stay in hotels and collect your per diem. In the desert expect flying every day with one maybe 2 days off..10-12 hour missions...and the days off are just because the regs say you can only have so many flying hours a month because they don't want you to get complacent.

akruse
08-26-2009, 08:44 PM
Hey BigBaze, I have a couple of questions for you if you don't mind. Could you email me at kruse.adamATgmail.com

Bumble78
08-26-2009, 10:07 PM
I am thinking about cross training to FE but only if I can get C-17's or C-130J models.

Golther
08-26-2009, 10:24 PM
I am thinking about cross training to FE but only if I can get C-17's or C-130J models.

Bad news but there are no FE's on either of those aircraft.

imported_AeroMech78
08-26-2009, 11:01 PM

If only the C-17's needed a Flight Engineer. I'd drive long distance to my old base in Charleston if it meant doing my UTA's on board that wonderful aircraft. There are other ways to fly as an FCC on C-17's but, you'd still always be just another crew chief.

Golther
08-26-2009, 11:07 PM
You could just try and go with Load master if you wanted a chance to be on C-17's.

Bumble78
08-26-2009, 11:27 PM
Bad news but there are no FE's on either of those aircraft.

Wait...wat. Guess I will stick to turning wrenches.

BigBaze
08-27-2009, 02:01 AM
Wait...wat. Guess I will stick to turning wrenches.

Yep they have computers do our job....but not always as good, see the C17 that landed gear up in the AOR recently;)

Golther
08-27-2009, 02:06 AM
Does anyone have an approximate of about how long a flight physical takes to come back from AETC for approval, if there are no waiver requirements?

imported_AeroMech78
08-27-2009, 02:10 AM
I'm on month 3 now with no word of progress

Golther
08-27-2009, 02:13 AM

Wow, I am really surprised. I figured it might take a month at max. I really wish my comes back before the next board. I really don't like it here at my shop.

c5engineer
08-27-2009, 02:37 AM
Someone who would turn down the career field over not getting a particular airframe knows nothing about the field and shouldn't be in it. Just about every frame out there has an awesome mission (except AWACS....sorry). If your not into traveling all over the world, having an awesome responsibility and being able to tell stories you won't experience in most AF career fields then by all means turn thy wrenches with gusto and provide those of us who have chosen the field with the best possible tools with which to do our jobs. It's better to know that now because this forum is living proof that when the AF has a critically manned career field it will do everything in it's power to keep it understaffed through the use of red tape.

For those of you who have participated in this forum and are excited about your job you won't be sorry. Just listen to Baze's tale. He's in the desert pushing the mission and probably having a great time. I'm envious that I can't get back in the desert until next year, but I've done it my entire career. It's time for you young bucks to kick some ass while I sit in the bar telling wild stories!

imported_TJC78
08-27-2009, 02:40 AM

3 months? That doesn't sound right at all. Have you contacted the Flight Medicine folks (or whatever your base calls them) at all? Even with the knucklehead A1C that sat on my paperwork, mine took barely over a month. You need to be calling them every few days until someone gets their head out of their hind quarters and gets with the program. Remember, it's YOUR career. You have to stay on top of things at all times or your paperwork will just sit in a pile until someone feels like messing with it.

chachikeno
08-27-2009, 03:04 AM
Someone who would turn down the career field over not getting a particular airframe knows nothing about the field and shouldn't be in it. Just about every frame out there has an awesome mission (except AWACS....sorry). If your not into traveling all over the world, having an awesome responsibility and being able to tell stories you won't experience in most AF career fields then by all means turn thy wrenches with gusto and provide those of us who have chosen the field with the best possible tools with which to do our jobs. It's better to know that now because this forum is living proof that when the AF has a critically manned career field it will do everything in it's power to keep it understaffed through the use of red tape.

For those of you who have participated in this forum and are excited about your job you won't be sorry. Just listen to Baze's tale. He's in the desert pushing the mission and probably having a great time. I'm envious that I can't get back in the desert until next year, but I've done it my entire career. It's time for you young bucks to kick some ass while I sit in the bar telling wild stories!
You are so right about his. When i first started my retraining I wanted to go to the HH60 and nothing else but I was assigned to the C130 and let me tell you that I am just as excited if not more about it. I have two weeks left in BFE but I realize that I have a passion for this job and I am thrilled to have the opportunity to fly for a living. People should come into BFE with an open mind and make the best out of whatever acft the AF assignes you to. Each airframe has its opportunity to make history, make the best of it.

Golther
08-27-2009, 03:17 AM
Personally I wish that I get KC-10's or the new C-5M I think it is, but as long as I am flying I don't care what I'm on.

xboomer
08-27-2009, 12:42 PM
3 months? That doesn't sound right at all. Have you contacted the Flight Medicine folks (or whatever your base calls them) at all? Even with the knucklehead A1C that sat on my paperwork, mine took barely over a month. You need to be calling them every few days until someone gets their head out of their hind quarters and gets with the program. Remember, it's YOUR career. You have to stay on top of things at all times or your paperwork will just sit in a pile until someone feels like messing with it.

I have been waiting over two months. I have also been told to be careful about calling all the time as this will cause someone in the clinic to piss in their cheerios and your paper work may be lost for a lot longer period. However, I think I will take TJC78's advice and start calling more often because this is getting frustrating.

imported_AeroMech78
08-27-2009, 12:43 PM

I forgot to mention that I'm going for a Reservist slot. I'm not sure how it is at other units but, I was told that the average is around 3 months since all flight physicals have to go to Reserve Command. It's pretty bad when your would-be chief is calling you asking if the recruiter has provided any updates. I'm eager to get started on my training but, my full time job keeps me plenty busy.

BigBaze
08-27-2009, 01:06 PM

Thanks man, you are right about the AWACS too, they are out here with us and the crews get to fly like once a week on a 4 month rotation out here, and they don't go TDY many places if at all, while we fly 4-5 times a week

BigBaze
08-27-2009, 01:08 PM
Personally I wish that I get KC-10's or the new C-5M I think it is, but as long as I am flying I don't care what I'm on.

C5engineer can correct me if I am wrong but if you get C5 you will just get the airframe, not just be assigned to the C5M, I think Dover has only 1 or 2 of them so far so you'd most likely be on the C5A or B which is not bad at all either

Golther
08-27-2009, 04:50 PM
C5engineer can correct me if I am wrong but if you get C5 you will just get the airframe, not just be assigned to the C5M, I think Dover has only 1 or 2 of them so far so you'd most likely be on the C5A or B which is not bad at all either

I figured that they would have a squadron of the new models out.

imported_ANALYST
08-27-2009, 09:07 PM
Can anyone that has retrained into this career field that was not prior maintenance contact me? I am a 2R0X1 and I am in the process of applying for retraining. Since I am not in a recognized maintenance career field, I have to submit an ETP. If you do not recognize my career field, here it. I’m the guy who you call to reset your IMDS passwords or CAMS as a lot of people like to call it, for those that are on heavies GO81. I also provide all the data you guys require for EPR's and Decs. This is my only hitch in the system at this time. I have completed my flight physical and I have a good contact at aerospace medicine to keep in contact with. I just need assistance on presenting myself as a good candidate, who does not come from the hands on maintenance background. If you can help me, please contact me. Whatever information you have will help.

akruse
08-27-2009, 09:15 PM
Can anyone that has retrained into this career field that was not prior maintenance contact me? I am a 2R0X1 and I am in the process of applying for retraining. Since I am not in a recognized maintenance career field, I have to submit an ETP. If you do not recognize my career field, here it. I’m the guy who you call to reset your IMDS passwords or CAMS as a lot of people like to call it, for those that are on heavies GO81. I also provide all the data you guys require for EPR's and Decs. This is my only hitch in the system at this time. I have completed my flight physical and I have a good contact at aerospace medicine to keep in contact with. I just need assistance on presenting myself as a good candidate, who does not come from the hands on maintenance background. If you can help me, please contact me. Whatever information you have will help.

You won't have any issues. Just do the standard ETP letter and you should get accepted. I know 5 FE's who came in under your situation.

imported_ANALYST
08-27-2009, 09:46 PM
Thanks for the speedy reply. I was just confused on how to project myself as a good candidate, when most of my day is consumed in front of a computer.

BigBaze
08-27-2009, 09:51 PM

Yeah I don't have enough info to fill you in on that...anyone else have any idea?

Bumble78
08-27-2009, 09:54 PM
There are not enough of them yet. Kind like before the AMP mod was really rolling. They had one on the ramp here and they wouldnt let us crack the cowl doors to take a look. Still in the testing phase at the moment.

And as far as not getting C-17 or C-130J, I guess I could try to become an FE on fighters. Getting the F-35 would be cool.

imported_ANALYST
08-27-2009, 10:00 PM
I am not the brightest guy in the world, but I do not believe there is a FE on a fighter jet.

imported_SUPERSTAR
08-27-2009, 10:00 PM
There are not enough of them yet. Kind like before the AMP mod was really rolling. They had one on the ramp here and they wouldnt let us crack the cowl doors to take a look. Still in the testing phase at the moment.

And as far as not getting C-17 or C-130J, I guess I could try to become an FE on fighters. Getting the F-35 would be cool.

No FE on fighters.............wow!

c5engineer
08-27-2009, 10:07 PM

It's not really a "new" model. It's an AMP bird. Avionics Modernization Program. They're basically glass cockpit upgrades and a few mechanical updates like pressurization and other systems that need digital signals to mesh with the mod. There are at least three complete and two have the new engines. I am willing to lay on my own sword to defend against the bullshit that has been said about C-5 reliability by high ranking officials. This 70% reliability is crap. When you don't pay for maintenance you get what you didn't pay for.

The C-17 can carry a tank. The C-5 can carry it fully armored with advanced night vision and can get it all the way to the desert along with other cargo. 36 pallet positions and 332500 lbs of gas means more cargo. Try Marine CH-53's or my favorite the Navy Seal's Mark V bad ass speed boat.

Anyway, I'm glad a lot of you realize that it's the career field that counts. You get to wear the bag, collect lots of per diem, flight pay, see the world, be awarded medals that count for promotion and play with great weapons systems. If you play your cards right, finish a degree during your career, get your multi-engine commercial license and then get an airline job when you retire and work your way up to Captain with a major airline.

BTW, C-130s are little rockets with those props. Low level air drops are the way to go if you like excitement. FYI, there are now AD 130 units at Cheyenne, WY and Colorado Sprngs. These units do the firefighting missions, which I think would be way cool. Explore your options and look for opportunities. I heard a rumor that they are now soliciting volunteers for the CV-22 so even if you are new with just a few hours under your belt that should be opening up too!!!

Good Luck

imported_ANALYST
08-27-2009, 10:13 PM
Why do they tell you that C-5s do not deploy a lot?

imported_AeroMech78
08-27-2009, 11:14 PM
The C-17 can carry a tank....

.....all the way to the battlefield while throwing two engines in thrust reverse for a rapid spiraling descent.:D

chachikeno
08-27-2009, 11:15 PM

I recognize your AFSC, i'm a 2R1X1 so we come from the same background. Im in BFE right now and all I had to do is submit a non feeder AFSC waiver, dont make it more complicated than that. You dont have to submit a resume. This will add to the time it will take for your package to be approved but it is worth it. I waited 3 moths before i was finally approved. Good luck.

Golther
08-27-2009, 11:20 PM
Does anyone have any ideas about any complications about your commander disapproving an ETP letter for early retaining. My supervision decided to completely unfair and wrote a non-rec for me because of a missed appointment 2 years ago, although my record has been spotless since then. Does anyone think that I should set up a meeting with my commander and ask him to reconsider?

imported_AeroMech78
08-27-2009, 11:33 PM
Does anyone have any ideas about any complications about your commander disapproving an ETP letter for early retaining. My supervision decided to completely unfair and wrote a non-rec for me because of a missed appointment 2 years ago, although my record has been spotless since then. Does anyone think that I should set up a meeting with my commander and ask him to reconsider?

Attitude is everything. That said, what have you got to lose by trying to convince him to reconsider? I doubt he will reprimand you for being persistent especially if you make him understand how badly you want this.

imported_ANALYST
08-27-2009, 11:35 PM
I recognize your AFSC, i'm a 2R1X1 so we come from the same background. Im in BFE right now and all I had to do is submit a non feeder AFSC waiver, dont make it more complicated than that. You dont have to submit a resume. This will add to the time it will take for your package to be approved but it is worth it. I waited 3 moths before i was finally approved. Good luck.
Thanks man, it’s nice to have a fellow 2R help me out. Can you shed some light upon your experiences in this endeavor?

Bumble78
08-28-2009, 01:04 AM
It's not really a "new" model. It's an AMP bird. Avionics Modernization Program. They're basically glass cockpit upgrades and a few mechanical updates like pressurization and other systems that need digital signals to mesh with the mod. There are at least three complete and two have the new engines. I am willing to lay on my own sword to defend against the bullshit that has been said about C-5 reliability by high ranking officials. This 70% reliability is crap. When you don't pay for maintenance you get what you didn't pay for.

All the active C-5 Bs have been AMP modded. The gaurd still has a couple of Legacy birds, but not many do not have the AMP package. Even the two C models have been AMP moded.

The C-5 M is the one with the beefed up engines. Different than the AMP mod.

I am a Crew Chief currently on C-5 and C-17 ACFT and have worked 130s in the past, I was kidding about the FE on the 17 and J model.

Golther
08-28-2009, 01:36 AM
All the active C-5 Bs have been AMP modded. The gaurd still has a couple of Legacy birds, but not many do not have the AMP package. Even the two C models have been AMP moded.

I am a Crew Chief currently on C-5 and C-17 ACFT and have worked 130s in the past, I was kidding about the FE on the 17 and J model.

I didn't know you were being sarcastic.

Bumble78
08-28-2009, 01:50 AM
I didn't know you were being sarcastic.
No worries, I thought when I added Fighters in there someone would catch on.

daftcon
08-28-2009, 02:48 AM
holy crap kevin (c5engineer) lol! you make me wanna suit up, preflight, and go kick some commie ass!! he is right though guys. a year ago when i started BFE, i would have never imagined the $#!T i would be doing right now. its been all simulator stuff but regardless its pretty gnarly. and like ssooooo many of you it seems, i wanted 60's as well but got 130's, and theres no way i would trade right now honestly. kevin made a interesting observation a while back. its like an airshow every single day here at little rock with all the low level multi ship formations going on. so be glad with what you get, appreciate it, love it, and remember theres tons of people that just wish they could be in your shoes

c5engineer
08-28-2009, 02:53 AM

The M isn't different than the AMP mod it is the AMP+ RERP. It's pretty sweet. Hopefully it isn't piecemeal like the FMS, TCAS and other things. The A models have a long way to go. They are nowhere near being done with the AMP. They're a little over a third through.

I FCF'd many of the FMS mods and they were pretty screwed up. The 130 has pretty much the same system they just decided to be different and call it SCNS.

BTW, there are engineers on both the 130J and the 17. On the 130J it's called the copilot and on the 17, half the preflight and operations are split between the co and the loadmaster. They are also flying with three pilots in both cockpits during tactical missions because the pilots are overwhelmed. But the days of the engineer are numbered in many respects; the AF will continue to press airframes 40 years or more. They're sending a Little Rock 62 E model to the boneyard in a couple of weeks. I will say that the good old mechanical bird is reliable and tough.

c5engineer
08-28-2009, 03:02 AM
holy crap kevin (c5engineer) lol! you make me wanna suit up, preflight, and go kick some commie ass!! he is right though guys. a year ago when i started BFE, i would have never imagined the $#!T i would be doing right now. its been all simulator stuff but regardless its pretty gnarly. and like ssooooo many of you it seems, i wanted 60's as well but got 130's, and theres no way i would trade right now honestly. kevin made a interesting observation a while back. its like an airshow every single day here at little rock with all the low level multi ship formations going on. so be glad with what you get, appreciate it, love it, and remember theres tons of people that just wish they could be in your shoes

What can I say, I like to recruit motivated individuals into this kick ass career field so that they can dis me when I'm an old retired ^&%$$# sitting in the PAX terminal trying to tell them when I was an engineer I used to crank the props by hand and pump the flaps and gear up and down. I thought everybody wore their flightsuit to bed!!!!

You haven't seen anything until you see a four ship screaming in and peeling off like a bunch of fighters and landing. There are some kick ass videos online of 130's during Vietnam doing combat offloads and airdrops. Wild!!!!!!!!

akruse
08-28-2009, 07:33 AM
I think I set the record for approval. I submitted my request tuesday, CC signed wed morning and went status 5 this morning. Amazing. Now, how do I find out which job I was approved for? I only picked FE and LM.

Soon2beexloadtoad
08-28-2009, 10:46 AM
I think I set the record for approval. I submitted my request tuesday, CC signed wed morning and went status 5 this morning. Amazing. Now, how do I find out which job I was approved for? I only picked FE and LM.
Congrats on the acceptance. If you call DSN 665-5000 or (800) 525-0102 and go to the retraining extension they can answer your question of what you were approved for.

imported_ANALYST
08-28-2009, 12:10 PM
Hey man, congrats. I can only hope my package goes through that fast. I am sure that my ETP's will come back with red writing all over it.

akruse
08-28-2009, 12:43 PM
Flight engineer here I come.

Will I get an assignment after I get the class dates? I'm overseas.

Soon2beexloadtoad
08-28-2009, 01:12 PM
Flight engineer here I come.

Will I get an assignment after I get the class dates? I'm overseas.
Coming from overseas they will go ahead and assign you to an airframe and a unit before you return CONUS. You'll PCS to the unit you'll be with after tech school prior to attending tech. I'm not sure if you get the assignment at the same time as the class dates. If anyone else can help out on that point, go right ahead.

akruse
08-28-2009, 05:55 PM
Coming from overseas they will go ahead and assign you to an airframe and a unit before you return CONUS. You'll PCS to the unit you'll be with after tech school prior to attending tech. I'm not sure if you get the assignment at the same time as the class dates. If anyone else can help out on that point, go right ahead.

I know I'll be getting an assignment, just wondering when.

Thanks though.

kenton
08-28-2009, 08:13 PM
My assignment took about a month to get after I went status 6. You will recieve the rest of your class dates when you get your assignment. If you have 6 classes or so loaded in vMPF.... there is a good chance you have an assignment. If you just have BFE loaded in there.. your still waiting for an assignment.

akruse
08-28-2009, 10:11 PM
Just fundies and bfe as of now. Shitty thing is my DEROS of May and class start date of 10 june

That is too damn close to PCS and get the family settled in.

imported_SUPERSTAR
08-28-2009, 10:46 PM
That gives you 5 weeks to settle in. You will just be hanging out BSing during that time. They usually hook you up with very short days!

kenton
08-29-2009, 11:03 PM
Just fundies and bfe as of now. Shitty thing is my DEROS of May and class start date of 10 june

That is too damn close to PCS and get the family settled in.

Yeah... that seems to be the norm.... Mine is looking like Mid November DEROS 8 Jan start date... I guess all I can say is start searching for housing as soon as you get orders to your gaining base.... Id rather be stuck with closer class dates than be sitting around for months on end...

imported_waterboy
08-31-2009, 06:12 AM
Just checking in again to see if anyone on the forum wil be in the Sept 11-Oct 26 BFE class?

imported_usafcrewchiefb2
08-31-2009, 05:10 PM
Heres a question for yall who have been through EAUC and BFE...ive been told by a few of my buddies to get a new 1042 before i go down to Lackland, but the 1042 i got from my initial Class III physical says it is good until February 2010...i called my clinic and they said there really is no reason to get a new one if the initial is still good, but everyone keeps saying to get a new one...

whats the verdict fellas?? Do i just get a new one to cover myself or do i just go off of the one i got for now...i will most likely need a new one by the time i get scheduled for SERE anyway since they are so backed up...

chachikeno
08-31-2009, 05:34 PM
Heres a question for yall who have been through EAUC and BFE...ive been told by a few of my buddies to get a new 1042 before i go down to Lackland, but the 1042 i got from my initial Class III physical says it is good until February 2010...i called my clinic and they said there really is no reason to get a new one if the initial is still good, but everyone keeps saying to get a new one...

whats the verdict fellas?? Do i just get a new one to cover myself or do i just go off of the one i got for now...i will most likely need a new one by the time i get scheduled for SERE anyway since they are so backed up...
You dont need another 1042. My original 1042 did just fine here at Lackland.

RiaCrece
08-31-2009, 08:06 PM
Hi there everyone! Im new on here and I have questions. My husband got selected to be on that NCO Mandatory retrain list and he has volunterred to go anHea and be moved, they gave him the option of FE and or Cardio something. He has chosen FE. Seeing as how he has worked on aircraft the last 8 years of his military career, I am figuring it will be a good move. He seems happier However, I am so confused or maybe he just isnt providing me with enought information. I want to know what the job is? is it true that FE guys are always gone 9 seeing as how we have a 1 year old that would be important to know) and what excatly he has to do now. I know he has gone to the career advisor and thats how he found out what he was qualified to do. I also know that he has started his Packet, and something about a flight physical ( and I guess he said he still needs to do the flight physical ). But how many steps are there. and then when and how long does it take to know what is going on and where we will go to next. Thanks everyone for any help you can offer

Max Power
08-31-2009, 08:15 PM
You dont need another 1042. My original 1042 did just fine here at Lackland.

Same here. As long as your 1042 is valid through your training, you'll be okay.

akruse
08-31-2009, 08:22 PM
Hi there everyone! Im new on here and I have questions. My husband got selected to be on that NCO Mandatory retrain list and he has volunterred to go anHea and be moved, they gave him the option of FE and or Cardio something. He has chosen FE. Seeing as how he has worked on aircraft the last 8 years of his military career, I am figuring it will be a good move. He seems happier However, I am so confused or maybe he just isnt providing me with enought information. I want to know what the job is? is it true that FE guys are always gone 9 seeing as how we have a 1 year old that would be important to know) and what excatly he has to do now. I know he has gone to the career advisor and thats how he found out what he was qualified to do. I also know that he has started his Packet, and something about a flight physical ( and I guess he said he still needs to do the flight physical ). But how many steps are there. and then when and how long does it take to know what is going on and where we will go to next. Thanks everyone for any help you can offer

Holy crap that makes my head hurt. I quit after a couple of "sentences". Read this thread. It will answer all of your questions.

kenton
08-31-2009, 09:59 PM
Damn... just did the math.... still have 4 months and one week left until fundies....... the clock has never ticked slower....... at least I have football season coming up to kill some time.... GO COWBOYS!!

imported_Ollie
08-31-2009, 10:12 PM
Does anyone happen to know what the AFI reference is that states that the losing unit pays for all equipment?? I vaguely remember seeing it before but don't have the time to read through 1700 posts! thanks

imported_TJC78
09-01-2009, 02:07 AM

Ok. Understand that I'm not bashing you by any means, you just need to understand some things.

First of all, there's really nothing YOU can do in this whole process, and it's not up to you to figure things out. The more you try to understand how things work as a spouse, the more confused you're going to end up.

That being said, the whole retraining process is a pain, and there are multiple things your hubby will have to do. Again, not your problem. There will be a lot of waiting. There is ABSOLUTELY NO WAY to tell where he will end up, unless you're coming from overseas and he gets his assignment before beginning his retraining.

The only thing YOU should be concerned about right now is your relationship with your husband. As a military spouse, I would hope that you'd have the understanding that EVERYTHING revolves around the needs of the Air Force, not your personal desires. Chances are, he will be gone a lot, that's the nature of being an aircrew member. If you have worries about him being gone all the time, then you guys should hash all that out beforehand.

Gunner7
09-01-2009, 12:44 PM
Does anyone happen to know what the AFI reference is that states that the losing unit pays for all equipment?? I vaguely remember seeing it before but don't have the time to read through 1700 posts! thanks

Extract from ETCA:
2. Flying clothing, equipment, and special requirements for individuals attending are shown under Clothing Equipment and Requirements: C-141, C-130, C-5, C-12F and C-21A, C-17A and KC-135 Training Uniform Requirements, IAW AFMAN 23-110, Vol 2, Part Two, Chapter 23, paragraph 23.34. It is the responsibility of the losing base to provide required training equipment (i.e., uniforms and gear) to personnel selected for aircrew training. The FTUs will only issue those items peculiar to the training school. Consult AFMAN 23-110 for details. Individuals who require flight clothing, equipment, or have special requirements should report to their IEU (or similar civilian contract function) to obtain required items before departing their unit of assignment (TDY or PSC) for training. These individuals must read and sign the statement shown under Clothing Equipment and Requirements: C-141, C-130, C-5, C-12F and C-21A, C-17A and KC-135 Training Uniform Requirements in two copies. One copy is filed in the individual's TDY/PCS relocation folder and the second is copy is given to the individual to hand-carry. Flying clothing, equipment, and special requirement items for ANG and AFRC students (whether or not they are AFTMS) must be issued by the appropriate AFRC or ANG unit before the individual arrival for training.

If you cant be bothered to look this shit up yourself I would not recommend becoming an FE.

CharlieHotel
09-01-2009, 09:54 PM

Here's what ur hubby will be doing.
Specialty Summary. Performs aircraft visual inspections and in-flight duties. Operates and monitors engine and aircraft systems controls, panels, indicators and devices. Manages flight engineer functions and activities. Related DoD Occupational Subgroup: 050.

Duties and Responsibilities:
Performs aircraft inspections. Performs aircrew visual inspection; non-scheduled aircraft maintenance; and preflight, through-flight, and postflight inspections of aircraft away from home station. Maintains aircraft forms and records during flight and while aircraft is away from home station.

Computes and applies aircraft weight, balance, and performance data. Computes hover, takeoff, climb, cruise, and landing data. Determines engine fuel consumption using airspeed, atmospheric data, charts, computer, or electronic calculator. Records aircraft performance data and aircraft system status for maintenance debrief and aircraft usage analysis.

Operates and monitors engine and aircraft systems controls and indicators. Assists pilot or performs engine starts, and monitors run-up, flight operations, and engine shutdown. Operates engine controls to provide desired efficiency and economy. Monitors engine instruments throughout period of operation. Controls, monitors, and regulates some or all of the following aircraft systems, hydraulic, pneudraulic, fuel, electronic, air conditioning, pressurization; ventilation; auxiliary power unit; and lubrication communication, navigation, countermeasures, radar, and depressurization and system failure. Observes warning indicators and light for fire, overheat, depressurization, and system failure. Reports abnormal conditions to pilot, and recommends corrective action. Helicopter qualified personnel may be required to perform duties as aerial gunner, rescue hoist operator, hover coupler operator, fast rope and rope ladder deployment or recovery operator, scanner, and cargo sling operator.

Plans and organizes flight engineer activities. Organizes flight engineering standardization, qualification, and other requirements of flight engineer logs, reports, and records for accuracy, completeness, format, and compliance with current directives. Coordinates with other agencies and organizations to conduct flight engineer activities.

Directs flight engineer activities. Administers qualification flight to personnel engaged in flight engineer activities within flight test and operations organizations. Directs standardization of flight engineer performance in conjunction with aircraft performance engineering, engine conditioning, and preventive maintenance programs. Ensures conformance with prescribed aircrew procedures.

Inspects and evaluates flight engineer activities. Evaluates individual and group performance in terms of effectiveness and qualification in using equipment and materials. Interprets and discusses evaluation findings, and recommends action to correct deficiencies.

Performs technical flight engineer functions. Resolves technical problems encountered by operating units. Renders advice and technical assistance to agencies engaged in functions associated with flight engineer activities. Advises organizational commander or staff agencies on status of flight engineer activities and adequacy of equipment. Maintains qualification in aircraft.

Specialty Qualifications:

Knowledge. Knowledge is mandatory of: electrical, communication, navigation, mechanical, hydraulic, and pneumatic systems applying to aircraft and related systems; flight theory; minor in-flight maintenance; personal equipment and oxygen use; aircraft emergency procedures; and using and interpreting diagrams, schematics, aircraft performance charts, loading charts, technical publications and flight manuals.

Education. For entry into this specialty, completion of high school with course in mechanics and mathematics is desirable.

Below is a chart that shows the average number of days deployed for airmen in 1A1 - Flight Engineer, between the period of September 11, 2001 and October 1, 2003. Average Deployment Days - 1A1 - Flight Engineer
Active Duty Air National Guard Air Force Reserves
70 78 40

imported_Ollie
09-01-2009, 10:06 PM
If you cant be bothered to look this shit up yourself I would not recommend becoming an FE.

Wow. Thanks for the info! And thanks for not being a dick about it.

Thorshammer
09-01-2009, 11:25 PM
First Post on this board, sorry to hijack this thread.

I have been considering joining the reserve Airforce as a C5 Flight Engineer, and have looked into it a few times before, but the timing was never right. Now, I may be caught in a reduction in force, and my industry is not that strong right now (who's is?). I was a P3 Orion FE from 91-95, and have about 7 years active duty service. My questions are as follows:

How long is the FE school in Lackland?
What is the post ground school flight syllabus length
After qualifications, what is he chance to pick up additional drills during the week, and on non drill weekends
Is there any truth to having an 1A1X1 designation slowing advancement in rank
What really are the do's and don'ts of this community. Meaning, what gets you rank faster, IFE or ?
What is the next step after qualification?

Thanks Everyone.

Erik

BigBaze
09-02-2009, 12:30 AM
Welcome to the thread, I am sure you will find plenty of answers here

I have been considering joining the reserve Airforce as a C5 Flight Engineer, and have looked into it a few times before, but the timing was never right. Now, I may be caught in a reduction in force, and my industry is not that strong right now (who's is?). I was a P3 Orion FE from 91-95, and have about 7 years active duty service. My questions are as follows:

I started April 11 2008 and graduated June 10 2008

You can look for almost a year for qualification as a mission ready flight engineer depending on what airframe you get

After qualifications, what is the chance to pick up additional drills during the week, and on non drill weekends

Not sure what you are talking about with drills..

The only thing that slows the advancement in rank is the fact that most of the career field are NCO's. There are a few E4's in our squadron, since 2003 the Air Force has only accepted retrainees into the career field. Most of the people in our squadron are E5-E7 so there are not very many slots available each year to make rank.

What really are the do's and don'ts of this community. Meaning, what gets you rank faster, IFE or ?

The do's and don't I can think of are..don't come in as a new engineer and ask right away for the good trips, try to dictate when you are going to deploy, or be cocky. The one think I have learned about this job is the moment you get a big head and think you know everything, something jumps up and bites you in the ass, as well as annoys the guys who have been doing the job for awhile. As for making rank faster, you'll WAPS test for rank with everyone else, how good your EPR's are will depend of course on your track record and of course the ungodly amount of extracurricular activities they like you to do, ie base activities participation etc.

Enlisted Aircrew Undergraduate Course (EAUC) @ Lackland AFB, TX-3 weeks
Basic Flight Engineer School @ Lackland- about 2 months
Parachute Training (not actually jumping from a plane) @ Fairchild AFB -1 day
Survival School (SERE) @ Fairchild AFB, WA- 3 weeks
Water Survival School @ either Fairchild or Pensacola, FL -3 days

you then go to the schoolhouse depending on what airframe you get..and that entire process from simulator training to flying training can be up to a year or over.

Thanks Everyone.

Erik

Answers in bold text above...sorry, couldn't figure out how to multiquote and messed it up..hope it helps.

xboomer
09-02-2009, 02:22 AM

After qualifications, what is he chance to pick up additional drills during the week, and on non drill weekends

Thanks Everyone.

Erik
I am also trying to get in the Reserves as a C5 FE, but just as an FYI, the Reserves seem to be taking a very long time to approve Flight physicals. I have been waiting for 2.5 months and I believe someone else on this thread has been waiting for over 3 months. So you may want to add this to your timing.

I was a prior Boom Operator in the Guard and they requested that each Boom fly at least once per week if not twice to stay mission qualified. When I interviewed for the Flight Engineers position the section Chief said it was very similar. Also, as you know they will require you to fly missions that will keep you on the road several days at a time. I have also been told to plan on putting in 120 days min annually as a Flight Engineer.

I hope this helps.

Thorshammer
09-02-2009, 04:09 AM
Guys,

Thanks for the details. I have been to SERE (Prisoner 42169 sir), 6weeks P Cola for air crew training including Para entaglement (AKA known as the water drag LOL), Parachute training (only one jump on my own time) not sure if any of this will apply. Good to know about the flight physical, with my age (43) I am a bit concerned, even though I am in very good shape and without any medical conditions, you never know what the doc is gonna say.

Is the flight portion of the syllabus in Lackland or back at your home location?

As for the do's and don'ts, I was more thinking along the lines of: Instructors look for this or that, Check rides are done in this manner or that etc.. When I exited, I was working on my IFE quals, so I do understand trips, and heirachy in the FE shop.

The P3 platform is going away in the next few years, so this is why I want to transition to the C5, any ideas what the platform life will be? I saw a study that concluded the airframe had approximately 80% of it's life remaining. This is good considering the lifetime of service.

Thanks for your replys!

Erik

imported_waterboy
09-02-2009, 04:36 AM
I saw a study that concluded the airframe had approximately 80% of it's life remaining.

The study that made this finding was done in the 90s. . . .

I'm not sure what, if anything, AMP and PERP will do to extend the service life of the C-5, but I think it's a safe bet it will be around for a good while to come. We still have more than a few KC-135s active in the fleet with tail numbers from the 1950s. . . .

Soon2beexloadtoad
09-02-2009, 06:46 PM
Only 58 days till I start EAUC and I'm still stuck in Afghanistan with no firm return date yet. I'm getting kind of anxious.

09-02-2009, 10:45 PM
29 Days and the count down continues anyone other then the B2 guy in the OCT 2nd Class?

c5engineer
09-02-2009, 10:52 PM
Below is a chart that shows the average number of days deployed for airmen in 1A1 - Flight Engineer, between the period of September 11, 2001 and October 1, 2003. Average Deployment Days - 1A1 - Flight Engineer
Active Duty Air National Guard Air Force Reserves
70 78 40

Like the statistics. I am curious where they come from because I have experience with two airframes (5, 130) to know that 40 is ridiculous. In the 5 during Afghanistan and Iraq I wasn't deployed (strat airlift doesn't deploy), but I was gone 279 days a year. That is pretty typical for most C-5 units. As for the 130's we get the same 4 month deployments the AD flying squadrons get and we do two a year. Perhaps the word deployment tossed the salad.

Anyhow, the AD guys from Little Rock are doing 4 month deployments and some guys in my class are expecting to go to the sandbox next summer. The ops tempo is only getting worse now that the focus is Afghanistan and for 130's especially so as the necessity for airdrops has increased.

To the woman who is curious how long her husband will be gone that really does depend. There are better forums to address that such as the one's on Baseops.net. A lot of current FE's could tell you what their airframes and units are doing.

c5engineer
09-02-2009, 10:55 PM
I am also trying to get in the Reserves as a C5 FE, but just as an FYI, the Reserves seem to be taking a very long time to approve Flight physicals. I have been waiting for 2.5 months and I believe someone else on this thread has been waiting for over 3 months. So you may want to add this to your timing.

I was a prior Boom Operator in the Guard and they requested that each Boom fly at least once per week if not twice to stay mission qualified. When I interviewed for the Flight Engineers position the section Chief said it was very similar. Also, as you know they will require you to fly missions that will keep you on the road several days at a time. I have also been told to plan on putting in 120 days min annually as a Flight Engineer.

I hope this helps.

Where are you trying to fly? The 68th out of Kelly or elsewhere. I'll give you 5 guys the reserve scoop when I land tonight and answer any questions you have about drill/participation and the truth about rank.

xboomer
09-03-2009, 01:14 AM
Where are you trying to fly? The 68th out of Kelly or elsewhere. I'll give you 5 guys the reserve scoop when I land tonight and answer any questions you have about drill/participation and the truth about rank.

I am trying to get a position out of Westover, Ma.
How often are you flying per week?
How long did it take for you to get your Flight Physical approved by AFRC?
I left the Guard as a Tsgt, not sure however if they are going to let me keep it.

imported_SUPERSTAR
09-03-2009, 02:05 PM
Anybody start Fundies next Friday?

xboomer
09-03-2009, 05:43 PM

I just found out that TJC78 was right. The clinic just found the paper work for my Flight Physical. It has been sitting on some knucklehead's desk for the past two months. Painful !

Gunner7
09-03-2009, 07:57 PM
I just found out that TJC78 was right. The clinic just found the paper work for my Flight Physical. It has been sitting on some knucklehead's desk for the past two months. Painful !

Pure failure here. Was there a waiver involved? I have heard some folks at Lackland are having a tough time getting a Class III accomplished. After 30 days you can ask the MTF to ping the MAJCOM for an update. If they have a problem doing it there is a good chance they have not sent the physical forward and it is rotting in a pile of records on a desk somewhere.
All in? I have a fair idea whats going in and where.

xboomer
09-03-2009, 09:19 PM
Pure failure here. Was there a waiver involved? I have heard some folks at Lackland are having a tough time getting a Class III accomplished. After 30 days you can ask the MTF to ping the MAJCOM for an update. If they have a problem doing it there is a good chance they have not sent the physical forward and it is rotting in a pile of records on a desk somewhere.
All in? I have a fair idea whats going in and where.

From what I understand, I will not require any waivers. Who knows until I have it stamped "Approved"

imported_TJC78
09-04-2009, 05:03 AM

What can I say, other than I told ya so?

imported_Chris M
09-04-2009, 12:36 PM
Almost through fundies. We'll be graduating next Thursday. Thank God there's a three day weekend coming up. My brain is fried. For those that are coming down...get ready to hear AIRPOWER! enough to make you throw up. Good luck!

imported_TJC78
09-05-2009, 05:29 AM
Almost through fundies. We'll be graduating next Thursday. Thank God there's a three day weekend coming up. My brain is fried. For those that are coming down...get ready to hear AIRPOWER! enough to make you throw up. Good luck!

Your brain is fried from Fundies? You're gonna have fun in BFE!

Spunjah413
09-08-2009, 06:27 PM
Your brain is fried from Fundies? You're gonna have fun in BFE!

Yeah no kidding, lol.

c5engineer
09-09-2009, 02:14 AM
I am trying to get a position out of Westover, Ma.
How often are you flying per week?
How long did it take for you to get your Flight Physical approved by AFRC?
I left the Guard as a Tsgt, not sure however if they are going to let me keep it.

I don't know many Westover boys, but they were a good unit when I was flying 5's. It sounds like you got the physical straightened out. It took me only one month (no waiver) through the reserve clinic at Kelly. When I got my latest one from the AD at Wright Pat they #$%^&%^ it up so bad it took from the middle of August to early December and only after I called the AFRC SG. If the AD handles your physical they probably sent it to AFMC, which is where AD goes, but ours goes to Georgia to the AFRC SG. Now that everything is electronic and they pretty much have all the labs, x-rays etc. done with in a week, a non-waiver physical should not take more than a month, PERIOD. Speaking of physicals, there has been a lot of back and forth about how long they are good for. You get them yearly on your birth month (which is changing) and a guy here at Little Rock in training just got pushed back because his expired and they had to ground him. IF you do it ahead of time you'll just keep going your entire career.

As to how often you fly per week is up to you, your section, and the ops tempo. As a reservist you can fly AFTP's which are additional flying training periods. Basically if you flew four of those a month it would be like doing a drill weekend. I used to fly two to three missions a month instead of flying locals using AFTP's and then my drill, which almost never occurred on the scheduled weekend. You are required to do quarterly sims, which are two day sims so eight total a year. Engineer refresher is one full week long and must be done once a year and as a new crewmember you basically need to log a basic sortie (preflight and T/O and landing) every month. I was a reserve bum and as a TSgt I was raking in a nice paycheck with my perdiem and everything plus tax free every month:)

As for TSgt, it's pretty easy to keep Tech, (I switched reserve units and I'm in an overgrade slot) so I can't imagine they'd bust you down, but it's not guaranteed. The hard part is the age old problem of passing the Tech to Master threshold because flyers stay until they are carried off so promotions are harder in the flying world (reserve wise).

You'll enjoy the travel. You still get into the desert, but you see the entire world. Westover doesn't just go east, they end up in the Pacific as well because of the missions the 5 fly's.

Sorry it's late and long, but if you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask. Good luck.

xboomer
09-09-2009, 12:49 PM
I don't know many Westover boys, but they were a good unit when I was flying 5's. It sounds like you got the physical straightened out. It took me only one month (no waiver) through the reserve clinic at Kelly. When I got my latest one from the AD at Wright Pat they #$%^&%^ it up so bad it took from the middle of August to early December and only after I called the AFRC SG. If the AD handles your physical they probably sent it to AFMC, which is where AD goes, but ours goes to Georgia to the AFRC SG. Now that everything is electronic and they pretty much have all the labs, x-rays etc. done with in a week, a non-waiver physical should not take more than a month, PERIOD. Speaking of physicals, there has been a lot of back and forth about how long they are good for. You get them yearly on your birth month (which is changing) and a guy here at Little Rock in training just got pushed back because his expired and they had to ground him. IF you do it ahead of time you'll just keep going your entire career.

As to how often you fly per week is up to you, your section, and the ops tempo. As a reservist you can fly AFTP's which are additional flying training periods. Basically if you flew four of those a month it would be like doing a drill weekend. I used to fly two to three missions a month instead of flying locals using AFTP's and then my drill, which almost never occurred on the scheduled weekend. You are required to do quarterly sims, which are two day sims so eight total a year. Engineer refresher is one full week long and must be done once a year and as a new crewmember you basically need to log a basic sortie (preflight and T/O and landing) every month. I was a reserve bum and as a TSgt I was raking in a nice paycheck with my perdiem and everything plus tax free every month:)

As for TSgt, it's pretty easy to keep Tech, (I switched reserve units and I'm in an overgrade slot) so I can't imagine they'd bust you down, but it's not guaranteed. The hard part is the age old problem of passing the Tech to Master threshold because flyers stay until they are carried off so promotions are harder in the flying world (reserve wise).

You'll enjoy the travel. You still get into the desert, but you see the entire world. Westover doesn't just go east, they end up in the Pacific as well because of the missions the 5 fly's.

Sorry it's late and long, but if you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask. Good luck.

Thanks for the information, I appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions.

imported_AeroMech78
09-09-2009, 02:02 PM

How long have you been going through the school house at Little Rock? How is it going and how much time are you putting in on a typical training week? Ever leave the state on the weekends? I just passed month 3 for my physical and my would-be section chief is climbing the walls trying to get answers.

imported_waterboy
09-09-2009, 06:10 PM
Just checking in again to see if anyone is starting BFE this Friday the 11th?

Also, does anyone have experience in getting transportation from Kelley to the schoolhouse? I had a driveshaft go out and take out my transmission while driving down, so I am flying down = no car. Bummer.

imported_SUPERSTAR
09-09-2009, 06:47 PM
Waterboy are you starting fundies or BFE Friday?