PDA

View Full Version : Flight Engineer retraining

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

imported_usafcrewchiefb2
05-14-2009, 05:40 AM
June?! Man...you guys are lucky...im on the ringer until October 2...wish i was heading down there in June with some of you guys...i just talked to my buddy who is in EAUC and he said he is having a good time...said it is a lot of studying...he said he has never studied so much for anything before until he got down there for this...although he is going to be a Flight Attendant and not a FE...i look forward to the challenge though as im sure all you guys are as well...good luck fellas...see ya around sometime...

imported_TJC78
05-14-2009, 06:01 AM
June?! Man...you guys are lucky...im on the ringer until October 2...wish i was heading down there in June with some of you guys...i just talked to my buddy who is in EAUC and he said he is having a good time...said it is a lot of studying...he said he has never studied so much for anything before until he got down there for this...although he is going to be a Flight Attendant and not a FE...i look forward to the challenge though as im sure all you guys are as well...good luck fellas...see ya around sometime...

When did you get your class dates? I've been waiting since February, I'd lose my mind if I had to wait any longer. It's a good thing I have plenty of leave saved up to take off a few weeks before I start Aircrew Fundies. Sucks you have to wait so long dude, but I'm sure it will be well worth it.

Gunner7
05-14-2009, 07:42 PM
Question for all of you who have been through this hellish process. I am now showing status code"3". I know I dont have 36 months retainability (only 32), so should I go ahead and try to extend right now or do I have to wait until I am status code "5" before I go to MPF? Please let me know. Thanks.

Wait for the appropriate training rip. More importantly do not reenlist while you have a retraining application pending. You can lose your CAREERS eligibility.

imported_FE2b
05-14-2009, 08:42 PM
Wait for the appropriate training rip. More importantly do not reenlist while you have a retraining application pending. You can lose your CAREERS eligibility.

yeah because its a CDA you'll have to have 36 after your BFE course... so you dont know when exactly it will be...

imported_usafcrewchiefb2
05-15-2009, 09:05 AM
When did you get your class dates? I've been waiting since February, I'd lose my mind if I had to wait any longer. It's a good thing I have plenty of leave saved up to take off a few weeks before I start Aircrew Fundies. Sucks you have to wait so long dude, but I'm sure it will be well worth it.

i had my dates since the beginning of March...and my first class (EAUC) start date is oct 2nd...:(

chachikeno
05-16-2009, 12:32 AM
Great news! I just found out today my class dates. I start Fundies 14 Jul and BFE 3 August. Anyone else on those dates?

ArcticFox
05-16-2009, 02:32 AM
Alright, so who else is starting EAUC 12th June? I roll right into BFE 1 day after graduating the EAUC, then I have a few weeks of down time in Augest before I start FIQ/FMQ for C130 at Little Rock. I'm a Crew Chief on 130's excited to make the switch. Just want to see who else might be in my class. I don't have dates for survival schools yet, awaiting funding for next fiscal year, you guys know how that is.

Man this is exciting/nervous/crazy. I feel like I'm running a race trying to make sure I have everything in order, all my equipment, uniforms, and all that squared away. I swear they have measured my head 3 times for a flipping helmet. Looking forward to seeing all who will be down there. I'm driving from New York, so I might be dog tired if I run into some of ya.

Question, for the EAUC we stay on Lackland, but then for BFE we shoot over to Kelly (and billet in the Kelly inn??) my orders as they sit say government meal is there, but I read a few pages back that's not the case if we are staying at the Kelly inn, should I look to have my orders amended now before I leave?

Just trying to stay in the loop.

-Fox

imported_scott12345
05-16-2009, 03:18 PM
I have read through this entire thread and have a couple questions. What are the specific differences between a fixed wing FE and a Helo FE. I heard from a C-130 crew chief that fixed wing FE's primiarly monitor flight instruments and ensure the weight and balance of the aircraft is correct at all times. Helo FE's pretty much just operate radios/nav equipment and are en extra pair of eyes for CSAR/SAR missions. Is this correct or am I missing anything on what FE's do? I would like to know what I plan on getting myself into. I am coming from F-16 Avionics and I am used to pilots doing everything on their own. I have never worked around heavies or helo's before.

Also, if I get a FE job on a helo can I also work on fixed wing aircraft (or vise versa) after so many flight hours/skill level?

Thanks for any input.

BigBaze
05-17-2009, 03:15 AM
Alright, so who else is starting EAUC 12th June? I roll right into BFE 1 day after graduating the EAUC, then I have a few weeks of down time in Augest before I start FIQ/FMQ for C130 at Little Rock. I'm a Crew Chief on 130's excited to make the switch. Just want to see who else might be in my class. I don't have dates for survival schools yet, awaiting funding for next fiscal year, you guys know how that is.

Man this is exciting/nervous/crazy. I feel like I'm running a race trying to make sure I have everything in order, all my equipment, uniforms, and all that squared away. I swear they have measured my head 3 times for a flipping helmet. Looking forward to seeing all who will be down there. I'm driving from New York, so I might be dog tired if I run into some of ya.

Question, for the EAUC we stay on Lackland, but then for BFE we shoot over to Kelly (and billet in the Kelly inn??) my orders as they sit say government meal is there, but I read a few pages back that's not the case if we are staying at the Kelly inn, should I look to have my orders amended now before I leave?

-Fox

The 344th TRS where EAUC and BFE takes place is located just outside the main Lackland AFB, on the Medina Annex. You will either billet on Lackland or Kelly. If you stay on Lackland you will get like $12 per diem because they have chow halls, if you stay on Kelly per diem is like $55 because they do not have meals available.

BigBaze
05-17-2009, 03:23 AM
I have read through this entire thread and have a couple questions. What are the specific differences between a fixed wing FE and a Helo FE. I heard from a C-130 crew chief that fixed wing FE's primiarly monitor flight instruments and ensure the weight and balance of the aircraft is correct at all times. Helo FE's pretty much just operate radios/nav equipment and are en extra pair of eyes for CSAR/SAR missions. Is this correct or am I missing anything on what FE's do? I would like to know what I plan on getting myself into. I am coming from F-16 Avionics and I am used to pilots doing everything on their own. I have never worked around heavies or helo's before.

Also, if I get a FE job on a helo can I also work on fixed wing aircraft (or vise versa) after so many flight hours/skill level?

Thanks for any input.

There are various differences between fixed and rotary FE's and even between different airframes of the fixed wing types. The one main thing they all share is calculating Take Off and Landing Data or TOLD. Your job is to make sure the aircraft can take off with X amount of weight, over whatever obstacles are present, with whatever CG you have, factor in the weather conditions, and other factors. If you are on the HH60 you will be a gunner as well if they are packing guns out of both sides of the helo. I am on the KC10 and we are very involved with flying the aircraft as in setting takeoff power, calculating power settings, optimum altitude, cruise speeds, time to climb, descend etc, and we do all the TOLD, and when the boom operator connects to another aircraft we actually pump the fuel, in a manner to maintain the CG within limits. I plan every airfield we fly into, making sure we are not too heavy for each taxiway/runway, we can make it in and out of the airport with the weight we are at, as well as having good knowledge of the different approaches and departures, making sure we can meet the ATC and obstacle based minimum climb rates..you are the master of the chaos, you run all the checklists, and everything revolves around you! the pilots will look to you for everything, especially when something goes wrong. Oh and did I mention that you are responsible for determining a cause of action if their is an emergency or malfunction on the aircraft? When someone asks me what I do as an eng, I tell them...anything and everything!!! If you want to change airframes you can do so after 3 or 4 years on the airframe you are currently on.

imported_scott12345
05-17-2009, 05:21 PM
BigBaze,
Thanks for the quick response. I didn't expect anyone to post something so quickly.

ArcticFox
05-17-2009, 10:17 PM
Thanks BigBaze,

Should I be calling them now and letting them know (billiting) that I am in bound within a month, and do I have an option of where to stay, when I call can I request to stay at the kelly inn?? I'm sure it's also based on availability, but I would prefer to stay at the Kelly, Thanks.

-Fox

imported_fluke
05-18-2009, 05:29 PM
Artic Fox,

I am starting Fundies 12 June. I called the Kelly Inn and made reservations. They only ask if you are going to be on orders and for a credit card so they can hold the room for you.

I will be driving from Virginia.

-Adam

Thanks BigBaze,

Should I be calling them now and letting them know (billiting) that I am in bound within a month, and do I have an option of where to stay, when I call can I request to stay at the kelly inn?? I'm sure it's also based on availability, but I would prefer to stay at the Kelly, Thanks.

-Fox

ArcticFox
05-18-2009, 07:38 PM
Yea, thanks for reminding me, I just called the Kelly Inn and put in my reservation. My orders/plans are as follows.

I'm leaving NY the 8th, to get to San Antonio the 10th, Orders show I need to be there the 11th, but class doesn't start until the 12th, that friday.

EAUC Undergraduate Flying course starts 12th, then immediately following that I start BFE. The plan is to graduate BFE early August, have a few weeks off, then be in Little rock for FIQ/FMQ starting August 31st I believe. I have my orders for the Texas portion EAUC/BFE, but I should be getting my orders for Little Rock in a week or so.

I drive through virginia on my way to San Antonio on the course I plotted.

Fox

imported_usafcrewchiefb2
05-18-2009, 08:39 PM

-Fox

i know what you mean bro...i dont even start EAUC until october and im still all over the place...which i dont get how people are just now getting their retrain approved and are already leaving in a month and ive had mine approved for 2 months now and still dont leave for another 4 months...i guess some guys get lucky and some dont...and what are they fitting you for a helmet for?? u dont seriously need to have one with you before you go down to EAUC and BFE do you?? that would be a pain in the arse...anyways...wish i could go into a coma for 4 months and wake up the day before Fundies...keep me in the loop ya'll...later

imported_SUPERSTAR
05-18-2009, 10:40 PM
I hear you, it will be 9 months of waiting from code 6 to class start date. Tired of waiting! I start Sept 11th! Can only take so much leave.

i know what you mean bro...i dont even start EAUC until october and im still all over the place...which i dont get how people are just now getting their retrain approved and are already leaving in a month and ive had mine approved for 2 months now and still dont leave for another 4 months...i guess some guys get lucky and some dont...and what are they fitting you for a helmet for?? u dont seriously need to have one with you before you go down to EAUC and BFE do you?? that would be a pain in the arse...anyways...wish i could go into a coma for 4 months and wake up the day before Fundies...keep me in the loop ya'll...later

ArcticFox
05-19-2009, 12:58 AM
I believe if you don't have a helmet then they will set you up with one for the altitude chamber. I was getting all of my gear, and pushed to get "ALL" of the gear before hand, so I have my helmet, mask, and all that. I know what airframe I am on and I need to have my helmet not only for the altitude chamber, but for FMQ for night flying (NVG's).

Try and get everything you can equipment wise, the worst thing that can happen is that they say no. I would rather have the equipment and not need it, then need it and not have it. I am definitely excited, but nervous that I'll forget to bring something - you have to bring a lot of equipment/uniforms/paperwork/etc. (seems like a lot to me at least).

as far as people being approved for retraining then leaving in a month, I can only imagine how crazy all the running around to get everything in order has to be.

just a note, when you get your medical records when you out processed- make sure the af form 1042 recommendation for flying duty is included, it's one of those do not pass go pieces of paperwork that you must have with you.

I'm sure I'll have other questions in the future, and if I can think of any tips between now and the future I'll be sure to post.

-Fox

jparker
05-19-2009, 02:14 AM
Hello everyone!

I was on here a while ago, when I first started the retraining process. I am in block 8 of BFE right now, if anyone has any questions post up! This class is tough, im not going to lie. I thought Air Crew fund. was tough...............then I hit BFE! Its no joke, you need to stay in the books. I must say the instructors are stern, yet very helpful. I have had every BFE instructor at the school except two...........they are all great.

imported_tyler88s10
05-19-2009, 07:12 PM
Hello everyone!

I was on here a while ago, when I first started the retraining process. I am in block 8 of BFE right now, if anyone has any questions post up! This class is tough, im not going to lie. I thought Air Crew fund. was tough...............then I hit BFE! Its no joke, you need to stay in the books. I must say the instructors are stern, yet very helpful. I have had every BFE instructor at the school except two...........they are all great.

Congrats man....I start Air Crew Fundies this friday. So whats been the hardest part for you so far through BFE. So much info, so little time? or what?

imported_tmckinley
05-20-2009, 02:49 AM
For everyone driving I hope you have better luck than I did. My header gasket blew out in the middle of no where arizona. Then to top it off the u-joint on the drive shaft busted in New Mexico. But I finally made it to kelly today, so tomorrow I hitin the town. Class starts friday so I'm lookin forward to that. If anyone else is in the class with me PM me when you get to town.

ArcticFox
05-20-2009, 01:09 PM
I am assuming everyone going is doing the EAUC (Aircrew Fundamentals) then Basic Flight Engineer course. My orders say lackland, I've read that EAUC is taught on Lackland, then BFE is taught on the Kelly side. I made reservations for the Kelly Inn (on kelly). Should I be making reservations to stay somewhere on lackland side of the house for the first 2 weeks for the EAUC then move over to the kelly side, or is it kind of up to me to decide. I will have my truck so driving wont be a problem. Just trying to figure out what people have done or what people are planning to do.

-Fox

fveres18
05-20-2009, 01:17 PM
Does anyone no of a link or have the list to get the items needed for FE. I have the sere list. Any help would be great.

ArcticFox
05-20-2009, 01:23 PM
https:\\etca.randolph.af.mil

Search for:
course id's

L3AQR1A111 01AA - Aircrew Fundamentals
L3ALR1A131 048B - undergraduate flying training (BFE)

if your doing c-130's
C130EFEQ3LP - C130 FIQ/FMQ

Hope that helps.

fveres18
05-20-2009, 01:23 PM
does anyone have a July 14 start date, if so pm me.

chachikeno
05-20-2009, 02:00 PM
Hey fveres18, i start fundies July 14th also! Where you coming from? I'm driving from New Mexico, not too long of a drive. Hit me up if you have any questions.

imported_tmckinley
05-20-2009, 04:30 PM
I am assuming everyone going is doing the EAUC (Aircrew Fundamentals) then Basic Flight Engineer course. My orders say lackland, I've read that EAUC is taught on Lackland, then BFE is taught on the Kelly side. I made reservations for the Kelly Inn (on kelly). Should I be making reservations to stay somewhere on lackland side of the house for the first 2 weeks for the EAUC then move over to the kelly side, or is it kind of up to me to decide. I will have my truck so driving wont be a problem. Just trying to figure out what people have done or what people are planning to do.

-Fox

You can stay at Kelly the entire time, thats where I'm at. It is a 5 min drive from Kelly to where the classes are.

BigBaze
05-20-2009, 05:27 PM
BigBaze,
Thanks for the quick response. I didn't expect anyone to post something so quickly.

Here is another "I have heard" from people who are not FE's. I am told by loadmasters that I know that the heavy FE's do a lot of TDY's and not a lot of deployments while the helo FE's do a lot of deployments and not a lot of TDY's. Something about CSAR missions in Afghanistan and Iraq are pretty constant. It's hard to find any really good answers when you work out of fighter bases. I only know loadmasters from other contacts that I have so I would like to find out from someone that actually does the job. It's hard to get reliable info from a guy that knows someone who happens to know someone else that does the job. Also, are there any good websites that might show general deployment rates? I am not looking for anything specific, just something that shows what the average time away from home is for KC-10's, KC-135's, HH-60's, etc. I am trying to get my family prepared for a drastic career change. Thanks.

C5's do a lot of TDY's. KC10's will as well, with 2 month deployments to the desert, Kc135 does not have an FE. If you get C130 expect to deploy your ass off! I am not to sure about the helo world.

ArcticFox
05-20-2009, 07:16 PM
That what I thaught (about staying at Kelly) - just wanted to make sure. I read on the course announcement that some students were beeing placed (or choosing) to stay on the kelly side of the house. Good to know about how long it takes to drive there too, some people back here said it would take 20 minutes, but looking at the base I couldn't see how that was. Is that back gate open to cut into lackland from kelly, or do you have to drive the "long" way arround. Good luck to whoever is, or will be going to school for this awesome career.

oh yea, before I forget to ask, I read a few pages back that Kelly doesn't have food, will the hotel have whatever I'll need to fax back to my base to ammend my orders so that it reflects the change of food availability. Also does the per diem change from lackland vs Kelly (I think on base at lackland its like 13.40/day or something like that, is it the same as kelly.

For those who are staying at the kelly inn, how is the internet situation, rooms, How may people to a room, one or two, or is this based on rank and availability? How are the rooms at the kelly inn...nice??? I am trying to gather as much intel as possible as information out on the world wide web is lacking in the kelly inn department.

Perhaps we should compile a FAQ, full of questions, commonly accepted anwsers, other sources of information, phone numbers, reporting procedures (with a note stating to double check for updates) etc. Maybe a secton for interesting places, and things to do in the areas near the schools.

-Fox

imported_Chris M
05-20-2009, 07:47 PM
Hi all...I just signed up on the forum...I am scheduled to leave for FE school in August. I have learned a lot from reading all the previous posts and appreciate the participants. I think I must be one of the few that are not in a feeder AFSC. I am a 2E2. I was wondering when I would find out what air frame I am going to be on? Is there someone I can call or is it a certain code in your class number?

imported_scott12345
05-20-2009, 08:53 PM
Are there any helo FE's in this forum? I am interested in hearing about that side of the job.

BigBaze
05-20-2009, 08:55 PM
Hi all...I just signed up on the forum...I am scheduled to leave for FE school in August. I have learned a lot from reading all the previous posts and appreciate the participants. I think I must be one of the few that are not in a feeder AFSC. I am a 2E2. I was wondering when I would find out what air frame I am going to be on? Is there someone I can call or is it a certain code in your class number?

Hi Chris, welcome to the thread. You will fill out a dream sheet in the first part of the school or EAUC, there are like 26 bases and airframes available and you rank them from #1 to #26 or so and hope for the best. If you are at a base that has aircraft that carry an FE, you can pretty much count on returning to that base and that airframe, unless there is a major need elsewhere. You will find out where you are going around block 3-4 of BFE, all you can do is rank your facorite aircraft tops on your list and hope for the best. Good luck!

BigBaze
05-20-2009, 08:57 PM
I did not stay on Kelly but I hear the per diem is like $55 a day:)

That what I thaught (about staying at Kelly) - just wanted to make sure. I read on the course announcement that some students were beeing placed (or choosing) to stay on the kelly side of the house. Good to know about how long it takes to drive there too, some people back here said it would take 20 minutes, but looking at the base I couldn't see how that was. Is that back gate open to cut into lackland from kelly, or do you have to drive the "long" way arround. Good luck to whoever is, or will be going to school for this awesome career.

oh yea, before I forget to ask, I read a few pages back that Kelly doesn't have food, will the hotel have whatever I'll need to fax back to my base to ammend my orders so that it reflects the change of food availability. Also does the per diem change from lackland vs Kelly (I think on base at lackland its like 13.40/day or something like that, is it the same as kelly.

I did not stay on Kelly but I hear the per diem is like $55 a day:)
For those who are staying at the kelly inn, how is the internet situation, rooms, How may people to a room, one or two, or is this based on rank and availability? How are the rooms at the kelly inn...nice??? I am trying to gather as much intel as possible as information out on the world wide web is lacking in the kelly inn department.

Perhaps we should compile a FAQ, full of questions, commonly accepted anwsers, other sources of information, phone numbers, reporting procedures (with a note stating to double check for updates) etc. Maybe a secton for interesting places, and things to do in the areas near the schools.

-Fox

imported_Chris M
05-20-2009, 09:44 PM
Hi Chris, welcome to the thread. You will fill out a dream sheet in the first part of the school or EAUC, there are like 26 bases and airframes available and you rank them from #1 to #26 or so and hope for the best. If you are at a base that has aircraft that carry an FE, you can pretty much count on returning to that base and that airframe, unless there is a major need elsewhere. You will find out where you are going around block 3-4 of BFE, all you can do is rank your facorite aircraft tops on your list and hope for the best. Good luck!

Thanks for the info. I am currently at Moody and we have 60's and 130's. I'd prefer the 130 to get back here. I start class 21 August. Bad thing is I've pretty much checked out mentally.:D

jparker
05-20-2009, 10:48 PM
Congrats man....I start Air Crew Fundies this friday. So whats been the hardest part for you so far through BFE. So much info, so little time? or what?

Whats up man

Yeah its all hard, they say block 3, and 5 are the hardest. Yes, they are hard but dont sleep on 6.........Rotary TOLD, i thought that was the hardest. We actually had a guy who was an overseas return so he knew he was going to Nellis on HH-60s, he had been at the squadron learning the charts for about 6 months prior to coming here, and he ended up failing block 5, and failing block 6. All the blocks are hard man, hit me up if you see me in the fish bowl, my class is the senior BFE class, my name is SSgt Parker. Good luck!

imported_TJC78
05-21-2009, 11:20 AM

This has been answered several times before, but here ya go...

If you're coming from overseas, you will PCS to your gaining unit and then start your retraining, so you will know which airframe you'll be assigned to before you ever leave.

If you're coming from stateside, you'll be in TDY status at least until you get through Aircrew Fundies, BFE, Water Survival, and SERE. You'll submit a dream sheet the first week of Aircrew Fundies and should get your assignment somewhere around Block 3 of BFE. At least that's what I've heard about a million times.

EDIT: Wow I must have missed the whole last page! Oops.

Pearlrec
05-21-2009, 11:45 AM
Whats up man

Yeah its all hard, they say block 3, and 5 are the hardest. Yes, they are hard but dont sleep on 6.........Rotary TOLD, i thought that was the hardest. We actually had a guy who was an overseas return so he knew he was going to Nellis on HH-60s, he had been at the squadron learning the charts for about 6 months prior to coming here, and he ended up failing block 5, and failing block 6. All the blocks are hard man, hit me up if you see me in the fish bowl, my class is the senior BFE class, my name is SSgt Parker. Good luck!

Just curious, what happened to the person who failed block 5 and 6? I heard a few different things on what they do to someone if they fail a block or multiple blocks...

imported_usafcrewchiefb2
05-21-2009, 03:36 PM
Just curious, what happened to the person who failed block 5 and 6? I heard a few different things on what they do to someone if they fail a block or multiple blocks...

rumor has it they bump you to a different air crew afsc...since the air force has spent so much money getting you equipment and putting you through the classes, they give you a different air crew job...but like i said, thats the RUMOR...

glad to see everyone is excited to begin classes...look forward to seeing everyone in the air sometime...

imported_TJC78
05-21-2009, 10:31 PM
rumor has it they bump you to a different air crew afsc...since the air force has spent so much money getting you equipment and putting you through the classes, they give you a different air crew job...but like i said, thats the RUMOR...

glad to see everyone is excited to begin classes...look forward to seeing everyone in the air sometime...

I MIGHT believe that to be true for people coming from an overseas assignment, seeing as those people actually PCS to their flying unit before starting their retraining. I can't see them doing the same for stateside folks, seems to me they would just send them back to their unit. Could be wrong though.

VidMXGuy
05-21-2009, 11:13 PM

Nope, if you fail out you fail out and you are sent back to your home unit, even if you did move stateside for the job, and apparently they send you back to your old job, however they can. But you supposedly can reapply in 6 months and just go back and re-start the course you failed out of. If you failed out of BFE, you can reapply to be an FE, then if you get accepted, go back into the course in 6 months from the start, they wont make you do fundies again because you have already completed that course. I am prayin i don't get knocked out, I am in Block 3 of BFE right now and tryin to hold on, haha!

Kegler
05-21-2009, 11:20 PM

Most times you will go back to your old job, especially if already CONUS. Those who have PCS from OCONUS to their new base already...look around...most times your old AFSC is on that base too! By design.

imported_TJC78
05-22-2009, 12:57 AM
I have a question for you guys who have already been through SERE. I was reading the course info on the ETCA website for SERE, and it says we have to complete the psychological screening through our PCM no more than 6 weeks from our report date. My question is, how am I going to find time to do that? As it stands right now, I go to Aircrew Fundies and BFE, then come back to this area (I'm stationed at Hurlburt) for Water Survival for 4 days, then fly up to Fairchild. Is this something I'll need to do on one of my travel days between BFE and Water Survival? What did you guys do?

jparker
05-22-2009, 02:46 AM

If you fail you are done and you go to your old job. There are no special cases either, they could care less if you cant pass. Fail 2 tests you are done.

BigBaze
05-22-2009, 03:54 AM
I have a question for you guys who have already been through SERE. I was reading the course info on the ETCA website for SERE, and it says we have to complete the psychological screening through our PCM no more than 6 weeks from our report date. My question is, how am I going to find time to do that? As it stands right now, I go to Aircrew Fundies and BFE, then come back to this area (I'm stationed at Hurlburt) for Water Survival for 4 days, then fly up to Fairchild. Is this something I'll need to do on one of my travel days between BFE and Water Survival? What did you guys do?

yes that is correct, it is the Standard Form 600 (SF 600) go to your flight doc or public health and have it done, it is pretty much saying you can handle the physical and mental rigors of SERE. You need it before going up there, it is not a huge process getting one done.

BigBaze
05-22-2009, 03:58 AM

We had one guy fail out, failing two tests, that is anything below an 85%, and he was on a plane home that night. Their reasoning is that the FE career field is all about testing, be it your open book/closed book tests you will have to take throughout your career as well as memorizing your applicable boldface procedures and being ready for your annual checkride as well as any no notice checkride. If you fail you will be sent home to your home unit to your old job .

imported_TJC78
05-22-2009, 11:16 AM
yes that is correct, it is the Standard Form 600 (SF 600) go to your flight doc or public health and have it done, it is pretty much saying you can handle the physical and mental rigors of SERE. You need it before going up there, it is not a huge process getting one done.

Sorry man, but that doesn't really answer my question. I know what the SF 600 is and why it is needed, I'm just trying to figure out WHEN I'll have the time to get it done. I can't do it now because it says it has to be completed no more than 6 weeks from the class start date. That only leaves me with a very small window between driving back here to Hurlburt and going to Water Survival in Pensacola. I guess what I'm getting at is am I going to have enough time in those couple of days before Water Survival to get it done?

BigBaze
05-22-2009, 03:59 PM
Sorry man, but that doesn't really answer my question. I know what the SF 600 is and why it is needed, I'm just trying to figure out WHEN I'll have the time to get it done. I can't do it now because it says it has to be completed no more than 6 weeks from the class start date. That only leaves me with a very small window between driving back here to Hurlburt and going to Water Survival in Pensacola. I guess what I'm getting at is am I going to have enough time in those couple of days before Water Survival to get it done?

You should be able to get it done within thhose two days, it took me like 30 minutes to have one completed at the flight doc.

Theloweman
05-22-2009, 04:06 PM
To those of you currently in BFE... Are you using study groups? Do they help? The people you talk about having multiple test failures and getting washed out, was it because of a lack of effort or that the information was just to intense to process?

Pearlrec
05-22-2009, 05:44 PM
Thank you everyone for the "wash-out" info...two test and done...wow, well I guess it is a career field that the AF wants to make sure that you learn it and learn it well. I know when I start classes in Sept I will definitely not take the material lightly, and I'm sure that I will be needing plenty of study time from what I hear. Thanks again and I wish everyone best of luck and to buckle down for what you really want.

BigBaze
05-22-2009, 08:44 PM
To those of you currently in BFE... Are you using study groups? Do they help? The people you talk about having multiple test failures and getting washed out, was it because of a lack of effort or that the information was just to intense to process?

Study as a class, in fact the instructors will tell you that too. it worked real well, the tests are not mindblowing hard but they do require you to study!

jparker
05-22-2009, 10:50 PM

YES STUDY GROUPS ARE THE KEY!!!! People fail everyday, some people are just not cut out for this job. They tell you the first day, you are not entitled to anything, you get the CHANCE to become an FE. Not everyone makes it. Just remember you are there to study, learn, and become an FE............not to drink, and party.

VidMXGuy
05-22-2009, 11:02 PM

Well, I know study groups definitely help me out, just verbally communicating the information helps me out, my class usually has one every night before a block test, and occasionally on nights if the information is a bit tricky. 2 test failures, be same or different blocks, you are gone. The standard is pretty high too, you need an 85% to pass. I got an 87.5% and i felt bad about it. If you get an 80 or 82.5 you can retest the next day, if you get below 80, you get washed back.

As for the info, I have heard of it described as a firehose in your mouth, if you can hold on and remember everything, you are good to go, it is alot of information, and there is no way you can get past without studying. Just remember to keep hitting the books and ask for help if you don't understand something and you will be fine.

imported_SUPERSTAR
05-23-2009, 12:06 AM
Is there anything you can studying before going to make it easier? Just wondering...got a lot of time on my hands. Little over 3 months left before class start in September. Going to NCOA in June / July. So that will keep me busy some what. Very tired of waiting! If I knew base / acft assignment before hand, I could plan more for the future.

kenton
05-23-2009, 12:49 AM
Just a little update... I just got back from a TDY with about 5 130 FE's. They were some of the nicest guys I have met in the AF. This AFSC is no joke though... they took me up in the cockpit during the flight back home to watch how it is done.... Someone in an earlier thread described it as a fire hose being shoved down your mouth.... let me tell you its just that.... he tried to describe to me what was going on... but i musta looked like a deer in the headlights. there is a lot of responsibility when it comes to the 130 FE.. The superintendent is trying to work me on to a flight into the desert somewhere next month so he can show me more aspects of the job. For some reason I used to think the 130 FE was a dying career choice, but im actually starting to contemplate it. With the J's coming in, eventually the FE will be limited to the MC's... but that shouldnt happen for about 5 more years or so... oh one more plus outa this TDY was.... My package that has been sitting with the CFM for 2 months hopefully will get pushed through with a couple of calls from my new best friends... lol.

imported_fluke
05-23-2009, 01:36 AM
I trying to put together a list of bases and aircraft that an FE gets to choose from while he is in BFE. This is what I have come up with so far. Please feel free to add/delete or make any corrections necessary.

Flight Engineer Conus Bases and Aircraft

ALTUS AFB OK C-5

DAVIS-MONTHAN AZ C-130; HH-60

DOVER AFB DE C-5

DYESS AFB TX C-130

EDWARDS AFB CA ????

EGLIN AFB FL C-130

ELMENDORF AFB AK E-3

HURLBURT FIELD FL C-130; CV-22; MH-53

KIRTLAND AFB NM C-130; CV-22

LITTLE ROCK AFB AR C-130

MCGUIRE AFB NJ KC-10

MOODY AFB GA C-130; HH-60

OFFUTT AFB NE E-4

POPE AFB NC C-130

ROBIN AFB GA E-8

TINKER AFB OK E-3

TRAVIS AFB CA C-5; KC-10

FE WARREN WY UH-1

imported_TJC78
05-23-2009, 03:45 AM
I trying to put together a list of bases and aircraft that an FE gets to choose from while he is in BFE. This is what I have come up with so far. Please feel free to add/delete or make any corrections necessary.

Flight Engineer Conus Bases and Aircraft

ALTUS AFB OK C-5

DAVIS-MONTHAN AZ C-130; HH-60

DOVER AFB DE C-5

DYESS AFB TX C-130

EDWARDS AFB CA ????

EGLIN AFB FL C-130

ELMENDORF AFB AK E-3

HURLBURT FIELD FL C-130; CV-22; MH-53

KIRTLAND AFB NM C-130; CV-22

LITTLE ROCK AFB AR C-130

MCGUIRE AFB NJ KC-10

MOODY AFB GA C-130; HH-60

OFFUTT AFB NE E-4

POPE AFB NC C-130

ROBIN AFB GA E-8

TINKER AFB OK E-3

TRAVIS AFB CA C-5; KC-10

FE WARREN WY UH-1

MH-53s are no longer, and in order to be a CV-22 FE, you have to be a prior CV-22 crew chief (at least that's what I've heard about a million times). Also, I think Travis and Dover are the only active duty C-5 bases, could be wrong.

kenton
05-23-2009, 12:08 PM
Why not Minot.... UH1

kenton
05-23-2009, 12:10 PM
MH-53s are no longer, and in order to be a CV-22 FE, you have to be a prior CV-22 crew chief (at least that's what I've heard about a million times). Also, I think Travis and Dover are the only active duty C-5 bases, could be wrong.

Nellis HH-60

Max Power
05-23-2009, 02:08 PM
Is there anything you can studying before going to make it easier? Just wondering...got a lot of time on my hands. Little over 3 months left before class start in September. Going to NCOA in June / July. So that will keep me busy some what. Very tired of waiting! If I knew base / acft assignment before hand, I could plan more for the future.

AFM 51-9 (http://www.c141heaven.us/handbook/afm51-9.pdf)

This link was given to me by a current FE. I've been reading it constantly in preparation for BFE this summer.

imported_SUPERSTAR
05-23-2009, 04:02 PM
AFM 51-9 (http://www.c141heaven.us/handbook/afm51-9.pdf)

This link was given to me by a current FE. I've been reading it constantly in preparation for BFE this summer.

Yeah I bought the book a couple of months ago. Went thru it twice so far!

Anybody know of anything else to read?

BigBaze
05-23-2009, 10:53 PM
AC130 at Hurby or Cannon is out unless you have 500 hours already, much like E4, Air Force One and the Gulfstreams

imported_scott12345
05-25-2009, 01:40 PM
Does anyone know how long FE's will be around in the AF? It seems like it is a dying career field for fixed wing aircraft but what about helo's? I heard that CV-22's have two FE's and no loadmasters and that the CSAR mission is too complicated for just 2 pilots. I will have about 10 years left in the AF if I get picked up for FE and am curious if I will be able to complete it as a FE.

ArcticFox
05-25-2009, 05:06 PM
I doin't think we are going to see the C-130 fleet fall off the face of the earth for a long time. J models are not the end all - the pilots are tasked to do a lot more (not a fan). Add electronic valve housings and some 8 bladed props to some H models and we are back in buisness. The C-130's have plenty of life lft. The FE would appear to be a dying breed - but the truth is there are more H models, and E models flying around that needs FE's.

BigBaze
05-25-2009, 11:09 PM
Does anyone know how long FE's will be around in the AF? It seems like it is a dying career field for fixed wing aircraft but what about helo's? I heard that CV-22's have two FE's and no loadmasters and that the CSAR mission is too complicated for just 2 pilots. I will have about 10 years left in the AF if I get picked up for FE and am curious if I will be able to complete it as a FE.

There is no way the Air Force replaces all C130's with J models, so count on their being FE's on these aircraft for awhile

C130
C5
KC10
E3
E8
G5
E4
Air Force One
HH60
CV22
Huey

imported_TJC78
05-26-2009, 11:10 AM

Yes, there are 2 FEs on the CV-22. Regardless, you won't be flying on them until you get 500 flying hours anyway. I'm sure they (unfortunately) won't be going away anytime soon.

As far as finishing out your last 10 years as an FE, I'm sure it's highly likely.

imported_scott12345
05-26-2009, 01:30 PM
I'm sure they (unfortunately) won't be going away anytime soon.

Sounds like you are not a fan of the CV-22. Is there something wrong with them? I have read a lot about some of the earlier problems with the plane but it seems like most problems now come from a lack of parts to fix them when they break. Also, why do CV-22's have 2 FE's?

I understand that I cannot work on them right out of the gate but it seems like a possibilty later on in my career, either as a FE or an avionics tech.

imported_CV22chief
05-26-2009, 07:58 PM
Sounds like you are not a fan of the CV-22. Is there something wrong with them? I have read a lot about some of the earlier problems with the plane but it seems like most problems now come from a lack of parts to fix them when they break. Also, why do CV-22's have 2 FE's?

I understand that I cannot work on them right out of the gate but it seems like a possibilty later on in my career, either as a FE or an avionics tech.

As of right now i work on the cv22...as far as maintenance goes...yeah it sucks. As far as the 2 FE's on board, I dont know much about the flight crew aspect because I am in the inspection dock and havent worked the flight line with them yet, but i believe one assumes the role of a gunner and the other is in the cock pit. A pilot I talked to who is a former Mh-53 Pilot says he enjoys flying it. he said its alot of fun and fast. . I also talked to one of the FEs on it and he said he loves it. So i think being crew on these aircraft wouldnt be too bad. They also get alot of cool TDY's. And flying around in different places and not having to fix them would be a pretty cool gig. So if i can weasle my way in right out of BFE i wouldn't be mad.

c5engineer
05-27-2009, 04:07 AM
I've been in the career field for 15 total years and have 13 years aviation service (took a two year break from the sorry ass ops tempo of a C-5 reserve unit). I've been listening to talk of no engineers for all of those years and then the CV-22 comes out and has two of them. So the J model has none. The AF knows how screwed up that is now because they've put a third pilot on or have a load sitting in the cockpit due to task saturation in a combat environment. C-5's are only at Travis and Dover, one squadron each. Most 5's are in the guard and reserve. The last time they did that was KC-135's and then Bosnia/Kosovo hit and they activated so many reserve/guard guys that they had no real tanker support.

So, what's left? Everything. Someone made a pretty nice list and that looks full of frames. The question really becomes can you handle multiple deployments and missions away from your family. If I was gone 240-300 days a year on average as a reservist, what's AD doing? You have more to worry about from your annual physical, checkride, no-notice evals, the ASEV and actual combat if you get into combat airlift. I'd think about those and forget about no FE's. C-5 A models are being amped and will be around a long time. My reserve unit flies 130 H2's that are 92 models (they have a new car smell to them).

Bottom line: lots of frames and opportunity, but it's also a crap shoot as to where you'll go. One day it's 10's the next day everyone's in 130's. Good luck.

BigBaze
05-27-2009, 05:29 AM
I know that someday the ride as an FE may come to an end, I knew that before I crosstrained and that never stopped me, I am enjoying the ride right now and someday if that comes to an end because they don't need me any more I'll cross that bridge when I get there:)

imported_scott12345
05-27-2009, 06:58 AM
The question really becomes can you handle multiple deployments and missions away from your family. If I was gone 240-300 days a year on average as a reservist, what's AD doing?

Bottom line: lots of frames and opportunity, but it's also a crap shoot as to where you'll go. One day it's 10's the next day everyone's in 130's. Good luck.

Talking to some of the FE's where I am at on 130's they don't really deploy too much. At least in my mind. My neighbor is an FE and he will go out on missions for a few days, sometimes a week or two, but hasn't deployed in the year I have known him. He tells me that he is scheduled to go sometime soon but it's not a very long deployment (don't want to disclose too much on a public forum). Also, talking to a good friend at Kadena who works HH-60s, his TDY's are very short but he gets more deployments. Again, the deployment schedule isn't that bad. It's way better than when I worked on Predators as a maintainer. That was a killer deployment schedule because we were the ONLY squadron in the entire AF that had them. Now I heard it is getting a little better but it's still pretty rough.

Talking to some aircrews though they tell me that the Guard and Reserve guys seem to get more deployments than in the past, with this whole total force integration stuff. They tell me that they actually feel bad for some of those units becasue they seem to be gone more than AD sometimes.

I am trying to get helo's just because of the CSAR mission that they do. It's just hard trying to line up class dates with a DEROS and I heard there is a really bad bottleneck going from BFE to HH-60 qualification at Kirtland. At least that is what I am hearing from some folks at AFPC. Also, the CFM is willing to work with you when it comes to the airframe you want but there is only so much he can do. I am having a difficult time getting the airframe I want (HH-60) because of DEROS issues and lining up training.

kenton
05-28-2009, 01:01 AM
I am trying to get helo's just because of the CSAR mission that they do. It's just hard trying to line up class dates with a DEROS and I heard there is a really bad bottleneck going from BFE to HH-60 qualification at Kirtland. At least that is what I am hearing from some folks at AFPC. Also, the CFM is willing to work with you when it comes to the airframe you want but there is only so much he can do. I am having a difficult time getting the airframe I want (HH-60) because of DEROS issues and lining up training.[/QUOTE]

Im trying to figure out your thread.... two days ago you were talking about maybe Xtraining.... now your talking with the CFM... have you been accepted and are awaiting class dates.... or are you thinking about putting in your package? I'm just trying to see if the information you provided is valid... or its just here say. Thanks

kenton
05-28-2009, 01:03 AM
[/QUOTE]I am trying to get helo's just because of the CSAR mission that they do. It's just hard trying to line up class dates with a DEROS and I heard there is a really bad bottleneck going from BFE to HH-60 qualification at Kirtland. At least that is what I am hearing from some folks at AFPC. Also, the CFM is willing to work with you when it comes to the airframe you want but there is only so much he can do. I am having a difficult time getting the airframe I want (HH-60) because of DEROS issues and lining up

Im trying to figure out your thread.... two days ago you were talking about maybe Xtraining.... now your talking with the CFM... have you been accepted and are awaiting class dates.... or are you thinking about putting in your package? I'm just trying to see if the information you provided is valid... or its just here say. Thanks

VidMXGuy
05-28-2009, 02:26 AM
Any FEs out there do C5s out of Dover? What kind of mission do they do?

BigBaze
05-28-2009, 02:46 AM
Any FEs out there do C5s out of Dover? What kind of mission do they do?

My roomate is ex C5 out of Dover, and we have a lot of guys from there in our squadron. When he comes back from the desert I will ask him what he used to do

c5engineer
05-28-2009, 04:02 AM
You'll see Dover tails all over the world. C-5s are non-deployable so there is a lot of diversity in terms of missions. Mostly Europe and heading east, but since 9/11 you'll see Dover tails out at Travis with regularity. Lots of missions to Europe and Middle East. There used to be a SOLL II mission (spec ops low level) out of the 3rd, but I don't know which squadron is left anymore. There are now only one AD and one reserve squadron (709th) left. I believe the ninth is still in Dover so who knows what the SOLL II program is doing. C-5 doing spec ops was always a joke in the 5 world and not because we were envious.

I love the C-5 and I had 4k or so in them before cross training to 130's. I'll always love FRED!

On another note: 130's are doing four month rotations in the sandbox whether it's AD, RES, or Guard so yeah no one's headed to the desert for a year, but I know my reserve unit is billed as the busiest in the reserves and we go to the desert two or three times a year, plus the Bosnia rotation, South America and next year Horn of Africa. So Kadena may not be going regularly, but I know that the squadrons at Little Rock are sending people over regularly. Some of the guys in my class will probably play in the sandbox early next year after graduating FMQ. I know i will be for certain.

I don't fault anyone for the info they get, but I can guarantee you that the ops tempo has only gotten worse and with the IED's more emphasis is placed on airlift where possible. There is a lot of work to be done for tac airlift and strat airlift and tankers are pretty friggin' busy. To those that have managed to stay home more power to them, but that is the exception not the rule.

To Baze: you'll never have to worry about crossin' that bridge brother. They can't afford to let the 10's go and a new tanker isn't going to rain on your parade for another 20 years. Engineers will be gone by mid century and since all of us will be out we'll chuckle at the stupidity of management as we collect our retirement.

imported_scott12345
05-28-2009, 04:48 AM
Im trying to figure out your thread.... two days ago you were talking about maybe Xtraining.... now your talking with the CFM... have you been accepted and are awaiting class dates.... or are you thinking about putting in your package? I'm just trying to see if the information you provided is valid... or its just here say. Thanks[/QUOTE]

This is what I have going on...I am trying to get out of my DEROS early in order to retrain. In order to do that I have to find a class date that is only within 6 months of my DEROS because that is how early my CFM will let me go. So, I have been on the phone with the 1A CFM trying to get everything lined up. I also have to deal with getting my training start date and PCS within the same FY. I am TRYING to retrain but I have not put my package in yet until I get the approval from my CFM and the 1A CFM. I have been advised that I, or anyone else retraining under NCORP, need to get the package in as soon as the the NCORP slots are released in August since it is first come first served.

So no, I have not been accepted or awaiting class dates because when you retrain from overseas you PCS to your next duty station. And from what I am hearing people are sitting at those new duty stations awaiting training. There are some guys who graduate BFE and then go back to their squadron for a couple months before going back to training. That is why I have been bugging the hell out of everyone at AFPC. I do not want to be rejected by someone who is just sitting at a computer looking at numbers and not realizing the situation that I have. I have alredy completed my Class III and have my DEROS curtailment letter signed by my commander and MAJCOM CFM.

When I say I am thinking of retraining it is only because I do not know if this is going to work. I may have to extend my DEROS a few months so that my retraining window will fall into the next release (FY11) of NCORP numbers so I can hopefully find an open slot for HH-60's.

Hope that clears up any confusion.

BigBaze
05-28-2009, 05:21 AM
You'll see Dover tails all over the world. C-5s are non-deployable so there is a lot of diversity in terms of missions. Mostly Europe and heading east, but since 9/11 you'll see Dover tails out at Travis with regularity. Lots of missions to Europe and Middle East. There used to be a SOLL II mission (spec ops low level) out of the 3rd, but I don't know which squadron is left anymore. There are now only one AD and one reserve squadron (709th) left. I believe the ninth is still in Dover so who knows what the SOLL II program is doing. C-5 doing spec ops was always a joke in the 5 world and not because we were envious.

I love the C-5 and I had 4k or so in them before cross training to 130's. I'll always love FRED!

On another note: 130's are doing four month rotations in the sandbox whether it's AD, RES, or Guard so yeah no one's headed to the desert for a year, but I know my reserve unit is billed as the busiest in the reserves and we go to the desert two or three times a year, plus the Bosnia rotation, South America and next year Horn of Africa. So Kadena may not be going regularly, but I know that the squadrons at Little Rock are sending people over regularly. Some of the guys in my class will probably play in the sandbox early next year after graduating FMQ. I know i will be for certain.

I don't fault anyone for the info they get, but I can guarantee you that the ops tempo has only gotten worse and with the IED's more emphasis is placed on airlift where possible. There is a lot of work to be done for tac airlift and strat airlift and tankers are pretty friggin' busy. To those that have managed to stay home more power to them, but that is the exception not the rule.

To Baze: you'll never have to worry about crossin' that bridge brother. They can't afford to let the 10's go and a new tanker isn't going to rain on your parade for another 20 years. Engineers will be gone by mid century and since all of us will be out we'll chuckle at the stupidity of management as we collect our retirement.

Thanks! Yeah I will stick with the 10 I would love to try another aircraft but this one gives me the most stability. they are looking into upgrading them , even now they are coming back from C Check with new carpet, touched up cockpit, they know Big Sexy is going to be around for awhile, and the AMC commander is an ex KC10 guy so he has a special place in his heart for her. I see a lot of our TSgt's and MSgt's with high tenure getting sent to Scott or Hickam to work for headquarters or TACC so that's what they are doing with a lot of the high time flyers, so I feel good about my chances of flying for awhile

kenton
05-28-2009, 03:33 PM

This is what I have going on...I am trying to get out of my DEROS early in order to retrain. In order to do that I have to find a class date that is only within 6 months of my DEROS because that is how early my CFM will let me go. So, I have been on the phone with the 1A CFM trying to get everything lined up. I also have to deal with getting my training start date and PCS within the same FY. I am TRYING to retrain but I have not put my package in yet until I get the approval from my CFM and the 1A CFM. I have been advised that I, or anyone else retraining under NCORP, need to get the package in as soon as the the NCORP slots are released in August since it is first come first served.

So no, I have not been accepted or awaiting class dates because when you retrain from overseas you PCS to your next duty station. And from what I am hearing people are sitting at those new duty stations awaiting training. There are some guys who graduate BFE and then go back to their squadron for a couple months before going back to training. That is why I have been bugging the hell out of everyone at AFPC. I do not want to be rejected by someone who is just sitting at a computer looking at numbers and not realizing the situation that I have. I have alredy completed my Class III and have my DEROS curtailment letter signed by my commander and MAJCOM CFM.

When I say I am thinking of retraining it is only because I do not know if this is going to work. I may have to extend my DEROS a few months so that my retraining window will fall into the next release (FY11) of NCORP numbers so I can hopefully find an open slot for HH-60's.

Hope that clears up any confusion.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for helping me understand.... I only asked because my package is in right now, and would love to go HH-60. The CFM has had the package for about 7 weeks now and is sitting on it. I have a friend contacting him for me to see whats up.... All I get from AFPC is thats a normal wait time...Supposed to PCS in November... hopefully somethings figured out soon.

imported_scott12345
05-28-2009, 03:47 PM
Kenton,

I have heard from a lot of people that it is normal to have to wait. I think the only reason I have been able to get any answers is because I have been using some of my personal connections I have made throughout the years. Otherwise I don't think that AFPC would care about my situation. I just have to be very careful because I have been warned that I might burn some bridges along the way with what I am doing. Trying to get our of a DEROS and trying to get things to line up for ME can cause a lot of pain for others along the way. I am trying to tread very carefully right now, so sorry if I don't offer to many details about who I am in contact with and the information that they have given me. Just trying to get my career on track.

imported_usafcrewchiefb2
05-29-2009, 05:16 AM
My wait from the time my package was complete and turned over to the CFM to the time i recieved my first class date was all of 1 week...and i have no idea why it only took a week...i have no connections at AFPC nor do i have a relative that can pull some strings for me...guess i just got lucky this time...although it only took a week to get dates, those dates are 5 months out...go figure...

imported_scott12345
05-29-2009, 05:59 AM
My wait from the time my package was complete and turned over to the CFM to the time i recieved my first class date was all of 1 week...and i have no idea why it only took a week...i have no connections at AFPC nor do i have a relative that can pull some strings for me...guess i just got lucky this time...although it only took a week to get dates, those dates are 5 months out...go figure...

Are you retraining under CAREERS or NCORP? Are you overseas or CONUS? I have heard that there are some differences, like when retraining from overses you PCS to your next duty station before going to training. My buddy who retrained from CONUS and was a FTA got his retraining approved and a class date about 2-3 weeks after submitting all his paperwork. It all depends on, not only the 1A CFM, but also your CFM from your career field. FTA can pretty much get out of any career field to go into critically manned career fields but those of us that fall under NCORP have a little more trouble. Especially when coming from undermanned or balanced career fields. Or trying to get out of a DEROS early. I also noticed that there are no more FY09 slots left on the retraining advisory but about 96 FTA slots under FY10. New FY10 NCORP number are released this August.

Gunner7
05-29-2009, 12:29 PM
Are you retraining under CAREERS or NCORP? Are you overseas or CONUS? I have heard that there are some differences, like when retraining from overses you PCS to your next duty station before going to training. My buddy who retrained from CONUS and was a FTA got his retraining approved and a class date about 2-3 weeks after submitting all his paperwork. It all depends on, not only the 1A CFM, but also your CFM from your career field. FTA can pretty much get out of any career field to go into critically manned career fields but those of us that fall under NCORP have a little more trouble. Especially when coming from undermanned or balanced career fields. Or trying to get out of a DEROS early. I also noticed that there are no more FY09 slots left on the retraining advisory but about 96 FTA slots under FY10. New FY10 NCORP number are released this August.

This is actually a good time of year to apply to retrain. The NCORP from FY 09 is over so the retraining folks at AFPC can focus on the CAREERS applications.

kenton
05-29-2009, 06:13 PM
This is actually a good time of year to apply to retrain. The NCORP from FY 09 is over so the retraining folks at AFPC can focus on the CAREERS applications.

Well.... they've been focused on mine for 57 days and counting..

Gunner7
05-29-2009, 06:38 PM
Well.... they've been focused on mine for 57 days and counting..

Thats a bit odd for this time of year...What stat is it? Is at the CFM for some kind of waiver or ETP?

kenton
05-30-2009, 09:24 AM
Thats a bit odd for this time of year...What stat is it? Is at the CFM for some kind of waiver or ETP?

Yep.. AFSC waiver and Crosstraining outside my window ETP

imported_AeroMech78
06-01-2009, 02:47 AM
Hello everyone!
I've spent the last month or so reading this thread and I'm excited about the possibility of going back into the AF Reserves as a C-130 FE at Maxwell AFB, AL. I'm a prior active duty C-17 crew chief but, I've been out for almost 7 years. Lucky for me, I got my A&P license shortly after my DOS so, it won't matter that my 5 level has expired. I've had the opportunity to sit down with my would-be flight chief and, based on his reaction and words of encouragement, I would expect to eventually begin the process of retraining. For about 3 weeks now I've been waiting to hear back from the recruiter on when I can complete the flight physical. From what I've read, it sounds like most (if not all) of you guys are AD. Any FE's out there that re-trained as reservists? If not, know anybody who did?

imported_Blueridge
06-01-2009, 08:06 PM
Hello everyone!
I've spent the last month or so reading this thread and I'm excited about the possibility of going back into the AF Reserves as a C-130 FE at Maxwell AFB, AL. I'm a prior active duty C-17 crew chief but, I've been out for almost 7 years. Lucky for me, I got my A&P license shortly after my DOS so, it won't matter that my 5 level has expired. I've had the opportunity to sit down with my would-be flight chief and, based on his reaction and words of encouragement, I would expect to eventually begin the process of retraining. For about 3 weeks now I've been waiting to hear back from the recruiter on when I can complete the flight physical. From what I've read, it sounds like most (if not all) of you guys are AD. Any FE's out there that re-trained as reservists? If not, know anybody who did?

AeroMech - I have been out longer than you, I was an AD crew chief as well. I have been in contact with a Guard unit about a FE position and have been mulling the idea around for a while now. So to answer your question, no but hopefully soon. Anyway good luck to you.

imported_AeroMech78
06-01-2009, 10:02 PM
AeroMech - I have been out longer than you, I was an AD crew chief as well. I have been in contact with a Guard unit about a FE position and have been mulling the idea around for a while now. So to answer your question, no but hopefully soon. Anyway good luck to you.

Have they given you any details on how long you can expect to wait for class dates? I have the support of my employer but, it would be nice to able to go straight through each phase of training rather than get sent home for weeks/months in between BFE, SERE, etc. I would prefer not to jerk them around with frequent military leave.

BigBaze
06-02-2009, 05:04 AM
Have they given you any details on how long you can expect to wait for class dates? I have the support of my employer but, it would be nice to able to go straight through each phase of training rather than get sent home for weeks/months in between BFE, SERE, etc. I would prefer not to jerk them around with frequent military leave.

Welcome to the thread. I was accepted in Jan 08 and went to EAUC in April 08. I graduated BFE in June 08, came home and went to SERE a week later. 3 days after SERE I went to water survival in Pensacola. They should be scheduling those classes pretty much one after the other. How are you guys doing that just took your Block 1 test this Monday???

imported_usafcrewchiefb2
06-02-2009, 05:18 AM
well i just got off the phone with a good friend of mine down at lackland right now...he just graduated EAUC...got a 97 or something like that on his last test...he said it was nothing like he imagined and no matter how much info he got from people on what to expect, he was still blinded by a lot of things...said as a former crew chief (which we both are on the same acft), they teach certain subjects different than they would to a maintainer...which is to be expected since it is 2 different career fields...he said he enjoyed it a lot though and has a much bigger respect for us FE guys (he is in training to be a flight attendant)...

so how is everyone doing who has left for EAUC so far?! hope all is well for everyone...

still looking for anyone who is scheduled for EAUC on oct 2nd...anyone?! please...

Well we got our Airshow this weekend and i cant wait to get back inside some 130s and talk to some of the FEs...see how they like it and how things on the ops side of the air force is going...

Hey Baze...wouldnt happen to be coming to whiteman this weekend would ya?!

imported_Blueridge
06-02-2009, 02:10 PM

I was told all the classes would be scheduled back to back as best as possible. If there is too big a gap between classes you're taken off AD orders , I can't remember what that time frame was though, maybe 30 days - I am sure someone else can probably answer that. They want you in and out which is good.

imported_AeroMech78
06-02-2009, 03:04 PM
Welcome to the thread. I was accepted in Jan 08 and went to EAUC in April 08. I graduated BFE in June 08, came home and went to SERE a week later. 3 days after SERE I went to water survival in Pensacola. They should be scheduling those classes pretty much one after the other. How are you guys doing that just took your Block 1 test this Monday???

Thanks, Baze. That's what I like to hear! At what point did you go to your aircraft specific training? I think I remember you saying you're on 130's, right? If so, how was Little Rock and what kind of perdiem did you pull down while you were there?

BigBaze
06-02-2009, 10:25 PM
Thanks, Baze. That's what I like to hear! At what point did you go to your aircraft specific training? I think I remember you saying you're on 130's, right? If so, how was Little Rock and what kind of perdiem did you pull down while you were there?

I am on KC10's. I went to aircraft specific school about 2 months after completing SERE and water survival. If you get 10's you will be stationed at either McGuire or Travis and they have the schools there. Since you will PCS there you won't get any per diem:) I did 4 months of precourse and sim training with FlightSafety International who holds the contract here, and then went down to the flying training unit (FTU) for about 3 more months of flying training, then got my checkride. now I am in the process of getting 150 hours with an instructor to become mission qualified. I can fly local missions by myself but anything outside the CONUS requires an instructor with me for that 150 hours

imported_tmckinley
06-03-2009, 12:21 AM

Fundies Block 1 c/w all the prior service guys in my class passed. We had some basic students fail the test. We are off to the chamber tomorrow and then start block 3.

Damastas
06-03-2009, 05:40 AM
After several months of waiting for flight medicine to get everything I needed, I finally got my approved 1042 last week, and last Monday submitted my retraining application. My question is, how long did it take to get a status 3 (which I assume is in vMPF under application status inquiry, correct?), and did it update your My Stuff page on AFPC?

I can't check home station email while deployed so I may have missed an automated email there, but I have no indication that everything went through ok. Is there a way to tell if an email has been sent to my current commander, and if he is signed it?

kenton
06-03-2009, 05:51 PM
After several months of waiting for flight medicine to get everything I needed, I finally got my approved 1042 last week, and last Monday submitted my retraining application. My question is, how long did it take to get a status 3 (which I assume is in vMPF under application status inquiry, correct?), and did it update your My Stuff page on AFPC?

I can't check home station email while deployed so I may have missed an automated email there, but I have no indication that everything went through ok. Is there a way to tell if an email has been sent to my current commander, and if he is signed it?

you will get an email from VMPF that actually has all that your commander wrote about you on it.... "just answers to questions and a little blurb about how your the best guy ever etc.." Then AFPC sends you an email saying your package has been forwarded to the CFM... this could take a while so be patient yada yada yada. Thats where I am in the process..... so what happens after that...... I dont know. As for the update on VMPF.... it will still say you havent submitted your package up until the CFM approves it. After that I believe it will say status 3.

imported_AeroMech78
06-04-2009, 02:45 AM
you will get an email from VMPF that actually has all that your commander wrote about you on it.... "just answers to questions and a little blurb about how your the best guy ever etc.." Then AFPC sends you an email saying your package has been forwarded to the CFM... this could take a while so be patient yada yada yada. Thats where I am in the process..... so what happens after that...... I dont know. As for the update on VMPF.... it will still say you havent submitted your package up until the CFM approves it. After that I believe it will say status 3.

All this talk of VMPF's, AFPC's, and CFM's has me wondering if a similar process exists for us would-be reservists. I've just been told that I can expect to complete my flight physical in a week or so but, I have no idea what to expect afterwards. About the only thing I do know is that I'll be waiting on my local reserve recruiter to put in the request for my retraining (assuming I pass my physical).

imported_usafcrewchiefb2
06-04-2009, 05:32 AM
well i hit my 120 day mark today...i know it doesnt sound too exciting but to me it means im within 4 months of leaving...

i was looking at the retraining advisory today and noticed there are still 96 slots open for 2010 for 1A111...surprising to see that number still so high...

Damastas
06-04-2009, 06:27 AM
I just got a notice from AFPC saying that my 422 needed my Pulhes and X-factor annotated.

I had in additional comments "x-factor: k", but apparently they missed it.. but then I had to go look up what Pulhes even was. Apparently it's the physical profile part, and it was completely left off of my 422. I am currently deployed, and it took my home station MDG over a month to get my 422 back to me, and that was WITH me being present and constantly pestering them.

Is there anything at all I can do? My CAREERS window ends this month, and it needs to be in before then. I called the clinic on base here, and they gave me a line how they couldn't do a 422 for me because I wasn't permenant party, and then they said because they don't have the equipment to do it.

Thing with that is: I have all my flight physical paperwork with the hearing/eye tests, blood pressure, heart rate, and all that. Do they really need equipment to do the Physical stamina/upper extremities/lower extremities? They don't even technically need to do a new 422, can't they just pencil in the pulhes score and add a signature to it? I refuse to just give up and say "oh, ok, thanks for trying." As long as there is a doctor on base, it seems like there is no reason they couldn't sign off on it.

imported_Chris M
06-04-2009, 12:52 PM
I just got a notice from AFPC saying that my 422 needed my Pulhes and X-factor annotated.

I had in additional comments "x-factor: k", but apparently they missed it.. but then I had to go look up what Pulhes even was. Apparently it's the physical profile part, and it was completely left off of my 422. I am currently deployed, and it took my home station MDG over a month to get my 422 back to me, and that was WITH me being present and constantly pestering them.

Is there anything at all I can do? My CAREERS window ends this month, and it needs to be in before then. I called the clinic on base here, and they gave me a line how they couldn't do a 422 for me because I wasn't permenant party, and then they said because they don't have the equipment to do it.

Thing with that is: I have all my flight physical paperwork with the hearing/eye tests, blood pressure, heart rate, and all that. Do they really need equipment to do the Physical stamina/upper extremities/lower extremities? They don't even technically need to do a new 422, can't they just pencil in the pulhes score and add a signature to it? I refuse to just give up and say "oh, ok, thanks for trying." As long as there is a doctor on base, it seems like there is no reason they couldn't sign off on it.

I'm not too sure what you can do being deployed. Sounds like they are giving you a load though. I can tell you one thing: This retraining process has been one of the most stressful, aggrevating ordeals for me yet. Mainly because the MDG seem like they don't care to help anyone. I do hope you get your paperwork straightened around.

Gunner7
06-04-2009, 02:21 PM

Sorry to hear about you joining the long line of exceptional Airmen receiving exceptionally shitty service from the support element. THe PULHES should be documented elsewhere on the other forms in order to forward the 1042. Best bet is to contact the CEA recruiter at the Pentagon with the name and number of the individual at the hospital who was "helping" you. He will sort it out.

kenton
06-04-2009, 07:18 PM
Sorry to hear about you joining the long line of exceptional Airmen receiving exceptionally shitty service from the support element. THe PULHES should be documented elsewhere on the other forms in order to forward the 1042. Best bet is to contact the CEA recruiter at the Pentagon with the name and number of the individual at the hospital who was "helping" you. He will sort it out.

When I had an issue with Force Health Med, I just emailed them a faxed copy of the paper that was missing stuff, they fixed it and scanned it to me. You might want to try that route. There are other people that can access your PLUSHES though.... off the top of my head... med group, any doc that is going to write you a profile.... your squadron UDM.... maybe squadron UFPM.... I feel for you with the poor service from the MDG.... to be honest, my process was 100% smooth and they were perfectly helpful when I needed it.

Damastas
06-05-2009, 04:47 AM
Well! I think I got extremely lucky, I talked to Flight Medicine out here and one of the guys working there "new a guy" back home who was able to write my Pulhes in, get it resigned, and sent to me all within two or three hours.

It's all submitted to AFPC with no response yet, so hopefully within a few days it will be waiting at status code 3. Thanks for all the advice.

imported_usafcrewchiefb2
06-05-2009, 05:13 AM

you should be able to check your home station email while deployed using the AF Portal...i know for a fact there is a way to do it because when i was in the sweet process they call retraining into FE, i went on leave and checked my home station email through the portal from my dads comp...as long as you have ur CAC card in the computer, and go through the portal, it uses it as a internet link and opens it right up...i did it to get the final word from AFPC on my approval for retrain about 3 months ago...

try it out...call ur IMers and ask them how to do it though cuz i cant remember...

BigBaze
06-06-2009, 02:31 PM

Yeah don't expect for it to get any better when you guys become flyers (Gunner I know you are one already), the rest of the enlisted force doesn't like us bag wearers too much and will not put forth any kind of effort to help you:)

imported_FE2b
06-06-2009, 03:34 PM
Hey guys.. whoever is starting Fundies on Friday... see you there.... for all those waiting, good luck and dont let the dreadful waiting kill ya! a year of waiting nearly did it for me!

ArcticFox
06-06-2009, 10:36 PM
Hey FE2b, see you there. I leave Monday. I am actually driving through San Antonio to hit up Corpus Christi for a day, little Golf of Mexico San Padre Island action before schools in session. See you Friday man, safe trip!

-Fox

imported_fluke
06-07-2009, 12:24 AM
Hey FE2b, see you there. I leave Monday. I am actually driving through San Antonio to hit up Corpus Christi for a day, little Golf of Mexico San Padre Island action before schools in session. See you Friday man, safe trip!

-Fox

I will see both of you there on 12 June. I am driving from Virginia. Right now I am staying in a motel across the lake from New Orleans. I should be in San Antonio tomorrow.

To future good times!!!

Hey, we need to get a study group together for next weekend. PM me for my number.

-Adam

Damastas
06-08-2009, 09:30 AM
Came into work this morning and checked My Stuff.... had this waiting for me:

All documents have been received for your Retraining package. Your package is now pending a Career Field Manager Review. Please be advised that the review processing time varies for different AFSC’s.

Your patience will be greatly appreciated.

All the running around trying to put this package together while deployed is finally over. Now the waiting game begins. :cheers:

kenton
06-09-2009, 08:42 PM
Came into work this morning and checked My Stuff.... had this waiting for me:

All the running around trying to put this package together while deployed is finally over. Now the waiting game begins. :cheers:

This waiting game could be rather long. My package has been waiting CFM approval for 2 1/2 months. I did find out last week though that it was AFPC error instead of a lazy CFM. Hopefully it works out for you. Are you looking for a particular airframe?

Damastas
06-10-2009, 04:56 AM
This waiting game could be rather long. My package has been waiting CFM approval for 2 1/2 months. I did find out last week though that it was AFPC error instead of a lazy CFM. Hopefully it works out for you. Are you looking for a particular airframe?

No aircraft in particular, though I hope to get a fixed wing. I wouldn't mind the C-5/KC-10 out of Travis, or C-130 out of Davis-Mothan. I would prefer to be on that side of the country, but really, I just hope my package goes through. :D

I saw your posts about sitting at the CFM review stage and they kind of had me worried. What was the problem from AFPC? From what I have read in this thread before, most people seem to get status 3 very quickly. The My Stuff page says that my package was routed to the CFM on 5 June, which was only a few days ago, but still has me worried.

imported_Chris M
06-10-2009, 02:48 PM
Anyone starting fundies on 21 August?

kenton
06-10-2009, 04:04 PM
No aircraft in particular, though I hope to get a fixed wing. I wouldn't mind the C-5/KC-10 out of Travis, or C-130 out of Davis-Mothan. I would prefer to be on that side of the country, but really, I just hope my package goes through. :D

I saw your posts about sitting at the CFM review stage and they kind of had me worried. What was the problem from AFPC? From what I have read in this thread before, most people seem to get status 3 very quickly. The My Stuff page says that my package was routed to the CFM on 5 June, which was only a few days ago, but still has me worried.

They never really answered my question on what held my package up. Im guessing they never sent it to the CFM. I called at the one month point and they assured me it was with the CFM and that 1 month was a normal wait time. When I called at 2 months they guy on the phone was like WTF is taking so long. So he sent an email to the day shift NCOIC or something.... she emailed me and told me my case was being handled by someone who recently got deployed, and that is why it was taking so long... She assured me it would be finished by the end of this week. Well I guess she has 2 more days. As long as it meets the June board I dont care. My DEROS is getting close though 4 months and some change. I hope they work fast.

imported_FE2b
06-11-2009, 01:04 AM
so i had my orders in one hand, plane tickets in the other... went to go get my med record and bam! "...airmen, you are dq and you cant report to training..."

imported_SUPERSTAR
06-11-2009, 03:47 AM
Can you give a little insight to why you were disqualified? That's really messed up!

At NCOA right now at Peterson. Glad to get this class over with.

Less than 3 months until fundies!

ArcticFox
06-11-2009, 06:25 AM
Ahh man, FE2B, thats horrible. can you get a waiver, or is it something that can be fixed? Medical DQ from the carer field for good, or is this something you can overcome?? Either way thats a bummer man. I just got into the Kelly Inn, my room is pretty much a small dorm room, share a bathroom with another room, but the ac is cranked and keeping me cool. Hope you can get this problem solved man, good luck!

-Fox

Damastas
06-11-2009, 12:16 PM
They never really answered my question on what held my package up. Im guessing they never sent it to the CFM. I called at the one month point and they assured me it was with the CFM and that 1 month was a normal wait time. When I called at 2 months they guy on the phone was like WTF is taking so long. So he sent an email to the day shift NCOIC or something.... she emailed me and told me my case was being handled by someone who recently got deployed, and that is why it was taking so long... She assured me it would be finished by the end of this week. Well I guess she has 2 more days. As long as it meets the June board I dont care. My DEROS is getting close though 4 months and some change. I hope they work fast.

Are you retraining under NCORP or CAREERS? I'm retraining under CAREERS and this month is my 42nd month of my 4 year contract, which puts it also as the last month that I can submit my CAREERS application. From what I can see for CAREERS applications they have to meet a board that takes place on the third week of each month.

If the same thing happened to me and I ended up waiting 2+ months for the CFM to approve it and get status 3, that puts me outside my retraining window. Does that matter or is it just that the day you submit your package has to be in the window?

The only ETP I had was for the feeder AFSC. Has anyone ever had the CFM not approve a waiver? I have a few negatives marks on my application (4 EPR and UIF, bleh) that I had to attach, I am hoping that those aren't reason enough to just deny the waiver and thus the chance to be an FE. I'm paranoid though, and have always sucked at the hurry up and wait game. Hopefully a month or two from now I'll be back singing praises of "wooohooo, got class dates!"

kenton
06-11-2009, 12:53 PM
Are you retraining under NCORP or CAREERS? I'm retraining under CAREERS and this month is my 42nd month of my 4 year contract, which puts it also as the last month that I can submit my CAREERS application. From what I can see for CAREERS applications they have to meet a board that takes place on the third week of each month.

If the same thing happened to me and I ended up waiting 2+ months for the CFM to approve it and get status 3, that puts me outside my retraining window. Does that matter or is it just that the day you submit your package has to be in the window?

The only ETP I had was for the feeder AFSC. Has anyone ever had the CFM not approve a waiver? I have a few negatives marks on my application (4 EPR and UIF, bleh) that I had to attach, I am hoping that those aren't reason enough to just deny the waiver and thus the chance to be an FE. I'm paranoid though, and have always sucked at the hurry up and wait game. Hopefully a month or two from now I'll be back singing praises of "wooohooo, got class dates!"

Believe it or not im retraining under CAREERS as a 7 year 6 month first term airman. I was unable to retrain during my retraining window because of DEROS constraints, and then unable to retrain under my DEROS window because of FY constraints. Your package has to be submitted within your CAREERS window, but I think you will be safe. If not im sure there is an ETP that you could ask to add that would make it fine. With negatives in a package, I know that they now ask for a personnel RIP and stuff that they didnt ask for last year... but whether or not that means they can or would deny it I dont know. I do know that you will be lower on the totem pole though because of a 4 EPR and stuff.

Gunner7
06-11-2009, 01:11 PM

Unlikely they will give you as green light due to the less than stellar ratings and the UIF. I would have a back up plan. Look at the other flying AFSCs that do not require the feeder waiver.

Damastas
06-11-2009, 01:37 PM
I realized before I even started putting my package together that having a negative on my record could be cause for it to be denied. I've also heard that from pretty much everyone along the way that they won't even look at it, but I have yet to find someone who either was denied themself, or knew of someone that was denied.

In any case, both my supervisor (who is also the base functional for my AFSC) and my commander wrote recommendations for me so I am hoping that they really do take everything into account. If not though, there are other avenue I could take to fly, I would rather prefer FE over anything else though. So until I see my package denied, I'll still have hope for it.

*also from AFPC, confirming the above: you just have to have your package submit before your window ends, it can take as long as it needs to after that.

TheDude
06-11-2009, 05:23 PM
When it comes to security clearance, I think read that you have to obtain a Top Secret clearance for Flight Engineer... I only have a Secret clearance with my current job. Is this something that someone will notify me about down the road (to fill out a new SF86?) or what? Kinda a weird question, but I want to make sure all my bases are covered.

TheDude
06-11-2009, 05:26 PM
Anyone starting fundies 24 July and still dont have SERE class dates yet?

imported_scott12345
06-11-2009, 05:42 PM
When it comes to security clearance, I think read that you have to obtain a Top Secret clearance for Flight Engineer... I only have a Secret clearance with my current job. Is this something that someone will notify me about down the road (to fill out a new SF86?) or what? Kinda a weird question, but I want to make sure all my bases are covered.

Where did you read that you have to get a TS? Everything I have read only talks about getting a Secret unless you go and do some unique job within the FE career field. Maybe if you are working on some intel aircraft like a JSTARS or a Compass Call or something like that.

Gunner7
06-11-2009, 06:36 PM
Where did you read that you have to get a TS? Everything I have read olny talks about getting a Secret unless you go and do some unique job within the FE career field. Maybe if you are working on some intel aircraft like a Joint Stars or a Compass Call or something like that.

Secret is the requirement to apply. If you end up working on one of the roswell spacecraft they will upgrade you. If in doubt look it up in the AFECD.

imported_usafcrewchiefb2
06-11-2009, 10:09 PM
so i had my orders in one hand, plane tickets in the other... went to go get my med record and bam! "...airmen, you are dq and you cant report to training..."

so they wait until you are about to leave and head to training before they notify you that you have been DQd...that is pretty shitty...like someone couldnt call you ahead of time to give you a heads up...what exactly was it that DQd you that made them not tell you till departure?! you figue they would have cancelled ur orders first instead of telling you when u pick up ur med records...

imported_tmckinley
06-11-2009, 10:20 PM

I can give you the answer in one word, money. I am already at lackland for bfe and we were told that eventhough we are sechduled for sere it might get cancelled because there is no money right now for training because of how close it is to the end of the year. So I am suppose to go to sere on 25 july and I might be getting pushed back to after october

imported_FE2b
06-12-2009, 11:45 AM
yeah, they said i have a larger than normal optical nerve. and yes, im dq from any sort of flyin... i'm still going to fight it though, cause i did all this work to get "tubed" PM if you want details

B52C/C87
06-12-2009, 02:00 PM

I start class on 24 July as well and dont have those dates. I talked to AFPC and they said I will get those towards the end of my training at lackland. They want to make sure your going to pass before they schedule you for another class slot.

BigBaze
06-12-2009, 03:45 PM
yeah, they said i have a larger than normal optical nerve. and yes, im dq from any sort of flyin... i'm still going to fight it though, cause i did all this work to get "tubed" PM if you want details

Damn dude that sucks! That is bad news, keep on fighting it!

bfowler82
06-12-2009, 07:05 PM
Is anyone starting EAUC on 7 Aug? Its only 8 weeks away and would love to know if anyone on here is going to be in my class.

Max Power
06-12-2009, 08:36 PM
Damn dude that sucks! That is bad news, keep on fighting it!

Agreed. FE2B that is some serious bullshit right there. I can't believe that you had no idea about that until you went to go pick up your records to leave. Keep fighting the good fight.

imported_notgoingback
06-13-2009, 01:10 AM
BigBaze, I havent ever posted on here but Ive been following this forum for months! I am coming to mcguire within the next couple months it says to the 305 ops Gr I would like to get a little info from you sometime if/when you get a chance!

To everyone else you will not get SERE dates until the new FY comes out The good thing for you guys getting here pretty quick is they are now pulling jobs from the FY10 so everyone is getting pretty much one of there top 5 choice I got my #3 but you will have to wait a couple months for your flight school. They ALL are backlogged ALOT! I got a fairly quick follow on date just because I went to SERE a year or so ago! the guys that dont they are waiting some up to 6 months and YES you WILL go back to your old jobs and YES they can make you perform your old tasks so DO NOT BURN YOUR BRIDGES just yet! You will get the brief when you get here

Alot of you keep asking for info over and over ALL the info you need is already posted on this board or on the link when you get your RIP just follow it and it wont steer your wrong

Lodging on lackland Main base is 12/a day
kelly is 54
you can request kelly when you call for reservations
Some people from my class didnt call and about 2/3rds of them goy put off base and the rest on its a hit or miss! My opinion yes off base is nicer but i like GUARANTEED money

to everyone else keep in there its along process it took me almost 2 years to get to the class and I still got along road ahead so keep pressing!

this class is Hard but not impossible just plan on studying ALOT and you will be fine! I thought fundys was kinda hard until I got to FE, I had a feeder waiver to get here so for you non maintainers if I can do it you can to! In my opinion you dont need a maintance background just need to understand it!

hope this helps and I will answer as many questions as I can if you have them

Damastas
06-13-2009, 10:56 AM

I'm curious if you heard anything more. I talked to the in-service CEA the other day and he mentioned that the functional who approves/disapproves the feeder waiver was TDY and would not be back till next week.

kenton
06-14-2009, 12:03 AM
I'm curious if you heard anything more. I talked to the in-service CEA the other day and he mentioned that the functional who approves/disapproves the feeder waiver was TDY and would not be back till next week.

I have emailed or talked to AFPC 3 times last week..... I heard nothing about the CFM being TDY.... you figure the USAF would have an alternate in place?? Go figure.... My case is still up in the air.... after getting a written promise of an answer a week ago.... now AFPC is singing the wait and be paitent song again... In my last email I decided to just speak strait.... I was responding to a previous email where the contact person told me that CFM reviews take about 2 weeks so be patient.... I wrote... "I am not trying to be rude or anything, but my package has been awaiting CFM review since 2 APR 09.... I think that is a bit over 2 weeks. What I am trying to avoid is missing my third CAREERS board in a row. Do you know when the next board meets?" I will see what their response is monday morning...

Damastas
06-14-2009, 04:50 AM
I have emailed or talked to AFPC 3 times last week..... I heard nothing about the CFM being TDY.... you figure the USAF would have an alternate in place?? Go figure.... My case is still up in the air.... after getting a written promise of an answer a week ago.... now AFPC is singing the wait and be paitent song again... In my last email I decided to just speak strait.... I was responding to a previous email where the contact person told me that CFM reviews take about 2 weeks so be patient.... I wrote... "I am not trying to be rude or anything, but my package has been awaiting CFM review since 2 APR 09.... I think that is a bit over 2 weeks. What I am trying to avoid is missing my third CAREERS board in a row. Do you know when the next board meets?" I will see what their response is monday morning...

That's the worst part too.. being TDY I am not used to the Monday-Friday, 8am-4pm mentality of people back home. I have to wait till 4pm here just to contact a live person, and then once Friday hits people start leavng early. Don't even mention the telephone void that is lunch from 11am-1pm.

Sometimes an entire week will consist of only 3-4 email transactions before the weekend comes. Ugh. You know something else interesting I have noticed? The FTA slots have been at 96 for almost two months now. It's like no ones package is being pushed through, has anyone in the last month even passed the CFM review point?

TheDude
06-14-2009, 08:35 PM

I was in the same boat as you... my package was up for CFM review back in DEC 08 and it took til FEB 09 for the CFM review to get done, and that's only because I called MSgt Bergin at the Pentagon... he hooked it up for me. So, if you haven't called him yet, I would contact him and let him know about your situation. AFPC isn't going to do anything for you and quite frankly, sad to say... 95% of the people at AFPC more than likely don't give 2 squirts of piss about anybody's retraining application. AFPC is going to give you the textbook answer everytime- it doesn't seem like they like to venture outside the box a whole lot. Hang in there and give MSgt Bergin a call, everything will work out for you.

kenton
06-16-2009, 12:13 AM
I was in the same boat as you... my package was up for CFM review back in DEC 08 and it took til FEB 09 for the CFM review to get done, and that's only because I called MSgt Bergin at the Pentagon... he hooked it up for me. So, if you haven't called him yet, I would contact him and let him know about your situation. AFPC isn't going to do anything for you and quite frankly, sad to say... 95% of the people at AFPC more than likely don't give 2 squirts of piss about anybody's retraining application. AFPC is going to give you the textbook answer everytime- it doesn't seem like they like to venture outside the box a whole lot. Hang in there and give MSgt Bergin a call, everything will work out for you.

Just out of curiousity... who is this MSgt Bergin? I would much rather call with all my ducks lined up in a row knowing who I am talking to. Is he the type of person I should call direct, or would he rather talk to someone up my chain of command.. i.e. CC or Chief? Thanks for your help.

BigBaze
06-16-2009, 01:15 AM
BigBaze, I havent ever posted on here but Ive been following this forum for months! I am coming to mcguire within the next couple months it says to the 305 ops Gr I would like to get a little info from you sometime if/when you get a chance!

To everyone else you will not get SERE dates until the new FY comes out The good thing for you guys getting here pretty quick is they are now pulling jobs from the FY10 so everyone is getting pretty much one of there top 5 choice I got my #3 but you will have to wait a couple months for your flight school. They ALL are backlogged ALOT! I got a fairly quick follow on date just because I went to SERE a year or so ago! the guys that dont they are waiting some up to 6 months and YES you WILL go back to your old jobs and YES they can make you perform your old tasks so DO NOT BURN YOUR BRIDGES just yet! You will get the brief when you get here

Alot of you keep asking for info over and over ALL the info you need is already posted on this board or on the link when you get your RIP just follow it and it wont steer your wrong

Lodging on lackland Main base is 12/a day
kelly is 54
you can request kelly when you call for reservations
Some people from my class didnt call and about 2/3rds of them goy put off base and the rest on its a hit or miss! My opinion yes off base is nicer but i like GUARANTEED money

to everyone else keep in there its along process it took me almost 2 years to get to the class and I still got along road ahead so keep pressing!

this class is Hard but not impossible just plan on studying ALOT and you will be fine! I thought fundys was kinda hard until I got to FE, I had a feeder waiver to get here so for you non maintainers if I can do it you can to! In my opinion you dont need a maintance background just need to understand it!

hope this helps and I will answer as many questions as I can if you have them

The orders will say 305 OG but unless you are Reserve you will be going to either the 2nd or the 32nd ARS, you will be assigned to one of the squadrons before beginning any training. PM me with any questions you have! Do you know what squadron you are going to yet?

imported_notgoingback
06-16-2009, 03:29 AM
The orders will say 305 OG but unless you are Reserve you will be going to either the 2nd or the 32nd ARS, you will be assigned to one of the squadrons before beginning any training. PM me with any questions you have! Do you know what squadron you are going to yet?

All I got so far is 305 OG and my RNTLD! I am active duty! I am still waiting on my final orders but since ive been TDY my email box was full so now I just have to wait what SQ I get I get my final set which I am assuming will be on it! Ill let ya know when they become available but Ill pm ya with some questions its mainly general nothing complicated!

imported_notgoingback
06-16-2009, 03:36 AM
Just out of curiousity... who is this MSgt Bergin? I would much rather call with all my ducks lined up in a row knowing who I am talking to. Is he the type of person I should call direct, or would he rather talk to someone up my chain of command.. i.e. CC or Chief? Thanks for your help.

Dont worry about your chain one thing you will learn as you get deeper in this process is Aircrew are very personal! You are actually assigned by name not a number like the rest of the AF! Give him a call and I promise your stuff will be done quick! When I had problems they usually were fixed same day. they will even call people for you! They want you as bad as you want in!!

Also check in your my stuff section under all the paperwork that you submitted where you can click on the links on the bottom to open stuff up there should be an email in there that they sent to the chief. if its not there thats your problem it was never sent. if its there there should be a reply from him so if it is there then I would call Msgt Bergin and see whats up! hope this helps

TheDude
06-16-2009, 05:09 AM

He is the In Service Career Enlisted Aviator Recruiter- he's there to make sure people are filling these slots... You can call him directly to inquire about your application, he should be able to help you out pretty quickly.

BigBaze
06-16-2009, 05:25 AM
I hope you all who are down at the schoolhouse or are about to go are doing well. I am about 50 hrs away from being mission qualified..and I graduated BFE in June 2008:> Best of luck, the road is long but awesome.

imported_FE2b
06-17-2009, 02:34 PM
so i tried getting the waiver... AFI 48-123 black and white states that no waiver will be grated to untrained people. Dicks! well it was fun while it lasted. Have fun guys....

-FEnot2b

imported_SUPERSTAR
06-17-2009, 03:08 PM
Sorry to hear it. Do you have any other options?

At NCOA right now. Not a fun place. Very dry material.

imported_usafcrewchiefb2
06-17-2009, 04:50 PM
so i tried getting the waiver... AFI 48-123 black and white states that no waiver will be grated to untrained people. Dicks! well it was fun while it lasted. Have fun guys....

-FEnot2b

is AFPC gonna give you another shot at retrain since all this happened before you began?!? they should let you resubmit a package for another job since this one got canned...

imported_AeroMech78
06-17-2009, 08:14 PM
Is anyone familiar with the "Contact Lens Program" that is apparently being enforced on aircrews now? I had to sign that I had been briefed when I received my physical a few weeks ago. The only thing I can recall from my brief discussion with the optometrist is that there are certain restrictions on brands that we can use. Any flight engineers out there who wear contact lenses?

imported_BuffBeerCrewChief
06-18-2009, 04:14 AM
That's the worst part too.. being TDY I am not used to the Monday-Friday, 8am-4pm mentality of people back home. I have to wait till 4pm here just to contact a live person, and then once Friday hits people start leavng early. Don't even mention the telephone void that is lunch from 11am-1pm.

Sometimes an entire week will consist of only 3-4 email transactions before the weekend comes. Ugh. You know something else interesting I have noticed? The FTA slots have been at 96 for almost two months now. It's like no ones package is being pushed through, has anyone in the last month even passed the CFM review point?
I applied in March09 got class dates April09 only went through one board I guess it was really fast and painless for me Im scheduled for the October Class my problem is dealing with Formal Training managers.

Damastas
06-18-2009, 05:10 AM
Your Retraining Application Status is HQ AFPC PROCESSING(3) as of 17 JUN 2009.

And the wait begins.

mekkwarrior
06-18-2009, 09:11 AM
Is anyone familiar with the "Contact Lens Program" that is apparently being enforced on aircrews now? I had to sign that I had been briefed when I received my physical a few weeks ago. The only thing I can recall from my brief discussion with the optometrist is that there are certain restrictions on brands that we can use. Any flight engineers out there who wear contact lenses?

No need to remember all that, after you're qualled and get to you duty station talk to flight med about it. You'll probably wear them when you're not flying for awhile and then you'll go back for another exam and they'll clear you to fly with them, and even buy them for you.

imported_usafcrewchiefb2
06-18-2009, 02:05 PM
I applied in March09 got class dates April09 only went through one board I guess it was really fast and painless for me Im scheduled for the October Class my problem is dealing with Formal Training managers.

october eh?! i start october 2nd for fundies...

06-18-2009, 05:52 PM
october eh?! i start october 2nd for fundies...

Yep I start EAUC Oct 2 and then BFE Oct 23

TheDude
06-18-2009, 06:05 PM

The retraining process is a crap shoot... I waited like 4 months before I got my class date, consider yourself lucky!

imported_usafcrewchiefb2
06-18-2009, 06:55 PM
Yep I start EAUC Oct 2 and then BFE Oct 23

exact same dates as myself...bout time someone got on here with october dates...now i feel better...where you comin from?! take it u are a buff CC...

kenton
06-18-2009, 11:02 PM
well..... 2 months 2 weeks and 2 days.... still waiting for CFM approval... made TSGT as a FTA so I think I will be alright come board time..... of course it looks like the board is never going to come.... The way I am looking at it now its their loss if they dont accept my package.. I have exhausted all avenues and am fairly fed up with AFPC....

imported_notgoingback
06-19-2009, 12:12 AM
well..... 2 months 2 weeks and 2 days.... still waiting for CFM approval... made TSGT as a FTA so I think I will be alright come board time..... of course it looks like the board is never going to come.... The way I am looking at it now its their loss if they dont accept my package.. I have exhausted all avenues and am fairly fed up with AFPC....

dont give up I started my pkg 2 years ago May it was a long painful road but its worth it once you get here dont give up!

imported_AeroMech78
06-19-2009, 03:30 PM

I'm curious about how the process of retraining as an FE works for all you active duty guys. It seems like the process is alot less complicted for us would-be reservists. Once you've submitted your request for retraining, who will be on the board to review your application? I'm assuming this is at your current duty station.

kenton
06-19-2009, 07:19 PM
I'm curious about how the process of retraining as an FE works for all you active duty guys. It seems like the process is alot less complicted for us would-be reservists. Once you've submitted your request for retraining, who will be on the board to review your application? I'm assuming this is at your current duty station.

well... once you have everything completed... like Flight Physical... any waivers you need etc.... you turn your package over to your commander. He blesses it and sends it to vMPF (AFPC) which I believe is at Randolph.. After that they have the CFM look at your package... Why?? I have no idea. Once the CFM blesses the package it goes in front of a "board". Its all computerized and ranks everyone wanting the jobs by: Last EPR, Projected rank, Current Rank, next three EPR's and some other things. On paper it looks to be a simple process. And Im sure some people in here have stories where it didn't take long to go through the system. My problem with the system is After it goes to AFPC your package is in someone elses hands, and you loose control. Now you have to rely on other people to work it, and in some cases those people either dont care or just suck at their job....

imported_AeroMech78
06-19-2009, 08:03 PM
well... once you have everything completed... like Flight Physical... any waivers you need etc.... you turn your package over to your commander. He blesses it and sends it to vMPF (AFPC) which I believe is at Randolph.. After that they have the CFM look at your package... Why?? I have no idea. Once the CFM blesses the package it goes in front of a "board". Its all computerized and ranks everyone wanting the jobs by: Last EPR, Projected rank, Current Rank, next three EPR's and some other things. On paper it looks to be a simple process. And Im sure some people in here have stories where it didn't take long to go through the system. My problem with the system is After it goes to AFPC your package is in someone elses hands, and you loose control. Now you have to rely on other people to work it, and in some cases those people either dont care or just suck at their job....

Sounds frustrating. Right now I'm waiting on my physical results to come back which, from what I'm being told can take a couple of months. If everything checks out, my reserve unit will "gain" me at which point they will start working the whole next available class date thing. I have no idea how long that will take but, it sounds like the reserve units have a certain amount of guaranteed slots for BFE, SERE, etc. I don't really mind waiting since it only gives me more time to prepare for BFE. I'll have the advantage of being able to spend time with the FE's in my unit on UTA days while waiting for a slot to open up.

imported_AeroMech78
06-19-2009, 08:14 PM
Anybody know what kind of security clearance is required to be a Flight Engineer? I would assume that it depends on the aircraft and mission type. I seem to recall somebody bringing up the subject but I can't remember who it was.

Kegler
06-20-2009, 12:39 AM
Anybody know what kind of security clearance is required to be a Flight Engineer? I would assume that it depends on the aircraft and mission type. I seem to recall somebody bringing up the subject but I can't remember who it was.

AeroMec...your assumption is absolutely correct!

kenton
06-20-2009, 06:04 AM
AeroMec...your assumption is absolutely correct!

rule of thumb is at least a secret... I know there are certain airframes that require a TS... but the active duty requirement is at least maintain a Secret.

imported_AeroMech78
06-20-2009, 02:51 PM
I'm guessing the background checks are required for TS since I don't recall anything being done for the secret clearance I had several years back.

Max Power
06-20-2009, 06:38 PM
Started Fundies yesterday. Pretty dry for the first day but still awesome to finally start. Good luck everyone.

imported_usafcrewchiefb2
06-22-2009, 03:16 PM
I am finally out if the triple digit countdown! I hit 99 days today! Double digts...finally! How is everyone doin that is in fundies of BFE? hope everyone is doin good and is studyin...look forward to starting my new career shortly...

TJMAC77SP
06-22-2009, 03:48 PM
I'm guessing the background checks are required for TS since I don't recall anything being done for the secret clearance I had several years back.

ALL security clearances require background investigation. For Secret the subject (you) is not interviewed unless issues develop during the investigation. TS requires a subject interview.

imported_TJC78
06-23-2009, 12:53 AM
I am finally out if the triple digit countdown! I hit 99 days today! Double digts...finally! How is everyone doin that is in fundies of BFE? hope everyone is doin good and is studyin...look forward to starting my new career shortly...

We just started our 2nd day of Fundies today, took a couple of PCs and will take a few more throughout the week. The material is dry but it's geared more towards the pipeliners, so it's to be expected.

A word of advice to any of you guys coming here in the future and getting booked at the Kelly Inn: DON'T LEAVE ANY FOOD IN YOUR CAR OR LAYING OUT IN YOUR ROOM!!! Ants will attack that crap like there's no tomorrow!

Anyways, besides having to deal with the way gAyETC does things, it's not too bad. Good luck to you guys who are still waiting for your packages to get approved. It's been said a million times before, but it's definitely worth the wait.

imported_AeroMech78
06-23-2009, 03:07 AM
Anyways, besides having to deal with the way gAyETC does things, it's not too bad.

I'm not looking forward to this at all. I hated AETC then and I'm pretty sure I'm still going to hate AETC. I'm confident that I can bite my lip and just play the game but, after 11 years, it will be a challenge dealing with a bunch of wise ass airmen fresh out of boot camp. What kind of crap should I go ahead and start preparing myself for?

imported_TJC78
06-23-2009, 03:23 AM
I'm not looking forward to this at all. I hated AETC then and I'm pretty sure I'm still going to hate AETC. I'm confident that I can bite my lip and just play the game but, after 11 years, it will be a challenge dealing with a bunch of wise ass airmen fresh out of boot camp. What kind of crap should I go ahead and start preparing myself for?

Right now, the airmen aren't too bad. We only have a couple who have shown their @ss so far. It's still pretty early, I'm sure they'll all be coming out of their shells soon enough.

As for the AETC crap...well, just get used to wearing blues on Mondays and Fridays and standing through Reveille and Retreat...reciting the Airman's Creed and singing the AF Song. If you have tattoos on your forearms, you might be told to wear long sleeves. Calling the hallway or room to standby for a senior NCO. That kind of stuff. It can get pretty retarded, but just shut up and color and you'll be fine.

imported_CV22chief
06-23-2009, 06:03 AM
Well leaving for Texas in a couple days. Can't wait to get it started. For those already there, see you soon!

imported_AeroMech78
06-23-2009, 01:40 PM
Right now, the airmen aren't too bad. We only have a couple who have shown their @ss so far. It's still pretty early, I'm sure they'll all be coming out of their shells soon enough.

As for the AETC crap...well, just get used to wearing blues on Mondays and Fridays and standing through Reveille and Retreat...reciting the Airman's Creed and singing the AF Song. If you have tattoos on your forearms, you might be told to wear long sleeves. Calling the hallway or room to standby for a senior NCO. That kind of stuff. It can get pretty retarded, but just shut up and color and you'll be fine.

Correct me if I'm wrong but, that's just for aircrew fundies, right? My understanding is that BFE doesn't have any pipeliners so, things return to normal once the real training begins. What about standing in formation and marching? It makes me smile to think how nervous and ate up I was as a new airman. Whenver I get to where you're at, I think the hardest part for me will be to keep a straight face:)

imported_TJC78
06-23-2009, 11:28 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but, that's just for aircrew fundies, right? My understanding is that BFE doesn't have any pipeliners so, things return to normal once the real training begins. What about standing in formation and marching? It makes me smile to think how nervous and ate up I was as a new airman. Whenver I get to where you're at, I think the hardest part for me will be to keep a straight face:)

Well the BFE classrooms are right down the hall from the Fundies classrooms, so although you won't have any pipeliners in your BFE class, you'll still stand in formation in blues for Reveille on Monday morning and Retreat on Friday afternoon. No, retrainees don't do any marching, so at least we don't have to deal with that.

Max Power
06-24-2009, 12:06 AM
Well the BFE classrooms are right down the hall from the Fundies classrooms, so although you won't have any pipeliners in your BFE class, you'll still stand in formation in blues for Reveille on Monday morning and Retreat on Friday afternoon. No, retrainees don't do any marching, so at least we don't have to deal with that.

And we also get to hear "AIRPOWER!" all the damn time. :rolleyes:

imported_AeroMech78
06-24-2009, 12:32 AM

Man, I'm out of touch. What time's Reveille again? Also, from when to when are you in class?

c5engineer
06-24-2009, 01:41 AM
Sounds frustrating. Right now I'm waiting on my physical results to come back which, from what I'm being told can take a couple of months. If everything checks out, my reserve unit will "gain" me at which point they will start working the whole next available class date thing. I have no idea how long that will take but, it sounds like the reserve units have a certain amount of guaranteed slots for BFE, SERE, etc. I don't really mind waiting since it only gives me more time to prepare for BFE. I'll have the advantage of being able to spend time with the FE's in my unit on UTA days while waiting for a slot to open up.

Perhaps you will be fortunate to get a slot early, but the reserves don't have a set number of guaranteed slots. AD controls how many guard/reserve attend formal schools. I've done C-5 FE, C-5 instructor school, and now C-130 FIQ/FMQ. When I did the C-5 FMQ I got a school date within a month. We had students sit as much as a year at a time in my 13 years of flying the 5. In the 130 world a guy from my unit sat for a year before he got rolling and I sat eight months. For 130's there is a new class every two weeks or so and there are six to a class. We have a guard and reserve and four AD guys in my class including me.

Your unit cannot even request a school date for you until your physical is complete and certified by AFRC/SG and they have a manning document with your UMD. Once all that happens the training manager can request a formal school date. If all of your stuff gets done by the end of July you might get a school date in October or November. There is the option to request first available or you can choose from a set of open dates, which is what I did. They handed me a list of class dates and of course I jumped on the first available.

I've been through SERE and all that stuff. Now you have to go through "fundamentals" in addition to BFE. You won't see SERE until after your done with your qualification training usually, but occasionally a reservist goes through SERE like the AD guys do. I prefer that because we lost a guy who washed out of SERE so we lost a qualified guy and spent money on him.

Are you currently AD waiting to jump to the reserves? If so where are you going and is the recruiter attempting to slide you in to a unit without an interview? In the guard and reserve you interview for a slot. The Chief can refuse to take you so I am just curious where your going. I loved the 5, but the 130 is so cool!!! Lockheed training sucks. The instructors are awesome, but the presentation is lacking. You gotta do what you gotta do to get in the air so oh well!

As for preparing for BFE ask the guys on the forum here and they'll tell you that as long as you study you'll do fine. Nothing to prepare for really.

Good luck to you.

imported_AeroMech78
06-24-2009, 02:35 AM
Perhaps you will be fortunate to get a slot early, but the reserves don't have a set number of guaranteed slots. AD controls how many guard/reserve attend formal schools. I've done C-5 FE, C-5 instructor school, and now C-130 FIQ/FMQ. When I did the C-5 FMQ I got a school date within a month. We had students sit as much as a year at a time in my 13 years of flying the 5. In the 130 world a guy from my unit sat for a year before he got rolling and I sat eight months. For 130's there is a new class every two weeks or so and there are six to a class. We have a guard and reserve and four AD guys in my class including me.

Your unit cannot even request a school date for you until your physical is complete and certified by AFRC/SG and they have a manning document with your UMD. Once all that happens the training manager can request a formal school date. If all of your stuff gets done by the end of July you might get a school date in October or November. There is the option to request first available or you can choose from a set of open dates, which is what I did. They handed me a list of class dates and of course I jumped on the first available.

I've been through SERE and all that stuff. Now you have to go through "fundamentals" in addition to BFE. You won't see SERE until after your done with your qualification training usually, but occasionally a reservist goes through SERE like the AD guys do. I prefer that because we lost a guy who washed out of SERE so we lost a qualified guy and spent money on him.

Are you currently AD waiting to jump to the reserves? If so where are you going and is the recruiter attempting to slide you in to a unit without an interview? In the guard and reserve you interview for a slot. The Chief can refuse to take you so I am just curious where your going. I loved the 5, but the 130 is so cool!!! Lockheed training sucks. The instructors are awesome, but the presentation is lacking. You gotta do what you gotta do to get in the air so oh well!

As for preparing for BFE ask the guys on the forum here and they'll tell you that as long as you study you'll do fine. Nothing to prepare for really.

Good luck to you.

Thanks for all the information! I've been off active duty for about 7 years now so, my first step was to go directly to the Airlift Squadron for an interview with the Super rather than sit and wait for the Reserve Recruiter to make time for me. Nothing against recruiters but, I preferred to take it upon myself to get things rolling since my local recruiter clearly has other priorities. As for my would-be unit, I'm looking at being an FE on 130's out of Maxwell AFB with the 908th (357th AS). I just recently had my flight physical a couple weeks ago so, hopefully it won't take long to get things going! I've already "greased the wheels" at my work so, it shouldn't come as much of a shock when I announce that I'm leaving for around 9 months or so!:D

Are you by any chance familiar with the eligibility requirements for sign on bonuses? I'm getting conflicting information from the recruiter, MPF, and the USAFR advisers. Some people are saying that a sign on bonus is only available for prior enlisted that have retained their 5 level but, that doesn't make any sense. If that were true, only prior active duty would be eligible which isn't the case according to the advisers I've spoken to. Any insight would be appreciated!

c5engineer
06-24-2009, 04:52 AM
You should be eligible for the bonus, but it is based on where you are based. Yes there is an FE wide bonus, but for bases that are fully manned(reserve wise) there are none offered. At Youngstown there are because we are still undermanned, but if the super says he's got full manning and the UMD shows that there are no bonuses to be had. I can't get it because I'm at 22 and anything over twenty is done.

You did it right. The recruiter has to put you in, but the Chief Engineer has to give him all the slot info for him to be able to swear you in. As soon as your physical is done he'll do just that. Your going to read a lot about physicals on this forum some good and some bad. You need to follow up if it's been a month. Sometimes it takes as little as two weeks, but if you went through a reserve clinic it could take a month. If you haven't heard anything find out what is going on. FYI AD sends their class III's to AFMC, but reservists must be cleared by the AFRC surgeon general. Period, no exceptions. The dumbasses at Wright Pat screwed mine all up and it took three months. If in doubt contact the AFRC/SG they are great people who help out when it's obvious that AD couldn't find the right end of the stethoscope.

As for 130's training sucks. You learn on the E model, but I'm sure Maxwell has H2's. Lots of little differences, but the biggest hassle is you don't have your own pubs during training. So there are wrong notes and lots of unnecessary highlighting and pages fall out. Little Rock the town is decent. Little Rock the base is a joke. Just hang in there when it comes to waiting for a slot and go to heyeng.com because there is a lot of E model pertinent information on it that would be useful for you when you are going to Little Rock. I never went through fundamentals, but from the courseware it's a joke. BFE didn't seem to prepare the guys in my class for 130 TOLD, but the chart mechanics are the same and they're doing awesome.

As most guys who have at least made it through BFE will tell you it is all attitude. If you have the right one this will be a piece of cake and you'll realize once your through it that it truly was the hard part. I got out for two years and I can tell you that it feels good to be back in and studying a new airframe. The C-5 had an awesome mission and I enjoyed the TDY, but the 130 is like a corvette. Everyday at Little Rock is like watching an airshow with all the low level action taking place.

Any other questions just ask. I wish something like this existed when I went through in 93. I went in blind and had to do it all on my own. Now this forum has pretty much mapped out cross training into FE down to a science protocol complete with POC's and regs!!

imported_TJC78
06-24-2009, 07:01 AM
Man, I'm out of touch. What time's Reveille again? Also, from when to when are you in class?

Reveille starts at 0700 and from what I can tell from the first one, it goes by pretty quick. Retreat, on the other hand, starts at 1600 and takes FOREVER! It doesn't help that it's hotter than Hades at that time either.

Classes run from 0715 to 1600 with anywhere from a 1 to 2 hour lunch, depending on your instructor and where you're at in the books. Thursday you cut out a little early to get dressed for PT, which we apparently do with the instructors. Haven't done it yet but from what I understand, you do PT for about an hour or so.

imported_AeroMech78
06-24-2009, 05:47 PM
You should be eligible for the bonus, but it is based on where you are based. Yes there is an FE wide bonus, but for bases that are fully manned(reserve wise) there are none offered. At Youngstown there are because we are still undermanned, but if the super says he's got full manning and the UMD shows that there are no bonuses to be had. I can't get it because I'm at 22 and anything over twenty is done.

You did it right. The recruiter has to put you in, but the Chief Engineer has to give him all the slot info for him to be able to swear you in. As soon as your physical is done he'll do just that. Your going to read a lot about physicals on this forum some good and some bad. You need to follow up if it's been a month. Sometimes it takes as little as two weeks, but if you went through a reserve clinic it could take a month. If you haven't heard anything find out what is going on. FYI AD sends their class III's to AFMC, but reservists must be cleared by the AFRC surgeon general. Period, no exceptions. The dumbasses at Wright Pat screwed mine all up and it took three months. If in doubt contact the AFRC/SG they are great people who help out when it's obvious that AD couldn't find the right end of the stethoscope.

As for 130's training sucks. You learn on the E model, but I'm sure Maxwell has H2's. Lots of little differences, but the biggest hassle is you don't have your own pubs during training. So there are wrong notes and lots of unnecessary highlighting and pages fall out. Little Rock the town is decent. Little Rock the base is a joke. Just hang in there when it comes to waiting for a slot and go to heyeng.com because there is a lot of E model pertinent information on it that would be useful for you when you are going to Little Rock. I never went through fundamentals, but from the courseware it's a joke. BFE didn't seem to prepare the guys in my class for 130 TOLD, but the chart mechanics are the same and they're doing awesome.

As most guys who have at least made it through BFE will tell you it is all attitude. If you have the right one this will be a piece of cake and you'll realize once your through it that it truly was the hard part. I got out for two years and I can tell you that it feels good to be back in and studying a new airframe. The C-5 had an awesome mission and I enjoyed the TDY, but the 130 is like a corvette. Everyday at Little Rock is like watching an airshow with all the low level action taking place.

Any other questions just ask. I wish something like this existed when I went through in 93. I went in blind and had to do it all on my own. Now this forum has pretty much mapped out cross training into FE down to a science protocol complete with POC's and regs!!

Youngstown, eh? Do you know a reserve engineer by the name of Chad Minkel? He's probably an E-6 by now.

Edit: Nevermind. He's with the 934th out of Minneapolis

imported_AeroMech78
06-24-2009, 05:51 PM
Reveille starts at 0700 and from what I can tell from the first one, it goes by pretty quick. Retreat, on the other hand, starts at 1600 and takes FOREVER! It doesn't help that it's hotter than Hades at that time either.

Classes run from 0715 to 1600 with anywhere from a 1 to 2 hour lunch, depending on your instructor and where you're at in the books. Thursday you cut out a little early to get dressed for PT, which we apparently do with the instructors. Haven't done it yet but from what I understand, you do PT for about an hour or so.

Interesting. I didn't think retrainees were expected to participate in PT. Oh well, I guess it's all for the better.

TheDude
06-24-2009, 06:11 PM
To the guys that are down at Lackland right now, what airframes did you get? Is there one airframe that a lot of people are getting? I'd like to get C-130's or helos, I know it's a crap shoot, so we'll see how that goes!

kenton
06-24-2009, 06:33 PM
Well, it looks like the retraining process is back on track... after sending four questions to vMPF with no response, I called my shirt who happens to be airborne comm and asked him if he might be able to help. I'm still not past the CFM (2 months 3 weeks)... but at least I recieved an answer from AFPC. They said the CFM's mailbox was full and they couldnt send it to him.. (yeah right!)... oh well... I guess I will wait until the July board.

Max Power
06-25-2009, 12:21 AM
To the guys that are down at Lackland right now, what airframes did you get? Is there one airframe that a lot of people are getting? I'd like to get C-130's or helos, I know it's a crap shoot, so we'll see how that goes!

From what our Fundies class has been told, HH-60's need people but the training pipeline is very backed up and they don't have enough frames to train people on. Don't hesitate to put it on your list though because they still do need FE's along with the 130's. Oh and apparently there have been a couple people get CV-22's that were not prior maintainers on them. Just what I've been told YMMV.

06-25-2009, 02:39 AM
From what our Fundies class has been told, HH-60's need people but the training pipeline is very backed up and they don't have enough frames to train people on. Don't hesitate to put it on your list though because they still do need FE's along with the 130's. Oh and apparently there have been a couple people get CV-22's that were not prior maintainers on them. Just what I've been told YMMV.

Is the Cv-22 part of the Fixed or Rotary Shred Out?

BigBaze
06-25-2009, 04:27 AM

when I went through CV22 was not offered to people coming through BFE, the couple guys that got it right out of Lackland were prior CV22 crew chiefs, but it may be different. I know up here in the KC10 world, every month or so an email comes out looking for a couple volunteers to cross over to the 22, I think only one has taking that plunge so far:)

kenton
06-25-2009, 08:36 AM
Finally status 3!! anyone know if the june board is already over?

Gunner7
06-25-2009, 12:30 PM
Finally status 3!! anyone know if the june board is already over?

Your application has been energized. Expect another status change shortly

Gunner7
06-25-2009, 12:33 PM

You might see some dated material identifiying a "B" (rotary) and "C" (fixed performance qual) shred but it is not accurate. There is only a slick 1A1XX AFSC.

Damastas
06-25-2009, 02:06 PM
5 1A1X1 slots just dropped off the advisory.. does anyone remember how many FY09 slots there were for 1A3X1 last month? I put both on my application, 1a1 went from 96 to 91, I can't remember if 1a3 was 18 dropping to 17, or 17 staying the same.

Good luck all!

Gunner7
06-25-2009, 05:41 PM
5 1A1X1 slots just dropped off the advisory.. does anyone remember how many FY09 slots there were for 1A3X1 last month? I put both on my application, 1a1 went from 96 to 91, I can't remember if 1a3 was 18 dropping to 17, or 17 staying the same.

Good luck all!

There were 18 1A3 FY 09 slots last month. They started with 20 on Jan 13th as an out of cycle drop. Most of those FTA slots are going to second term folks as an ETP.

Damastas
06-25-2009, 06:53 PM
There were 18 1A3 FY 09 slots last month. They started with 20 on Jan 13th as an out of cycle drop. Most of those FTA slots are going to second term folks as an ETP.

Hmm.. so how do quotas get filled? If they have say 18 slots one month, do they give a slot to each person who applied up until 18 at which they then start racking and stacking, or do they say "we are going to take one application this month" and then rack and stack people based on that one slot they took off the quota?

kenton
06-25-2009, 07:20 PM
Hmm.. so how do quotas get filled? If they have say 18 slots one month, do they give a slot to each person who applied up until 18 at which they then start racking and stacking, or do they say "we are going to take one application this month" and then rack and stack people based on that one slot they took off the quota?

The AFI states they will divide the amount of slots evenly over the 12 month cycle. My guess is if they werent able to fill the 13 or so per month 1A1 slots... they would either do an out of cycle grab..... or roll them over until next month.... not sure on that last part though... just speculation.... but I know they arent allowed to give all the quotas away in one month. Oh and yes.... if they had one slot available that month, they would rack and stack according to that one slot. The lower the quota... the less chance of getting the job..... unless you have a lot of Rank and TIS.

Soon2bexF16CC
06-25-2009, 08:49 PM
Well, the wait for me is finally over!! Who else is starting Fundies tomorrow?

Damastas
06-26-2009, 06:32 PM
The AFI states they will divide the amount of slots evenly over the 12 month cycle. My guess is if they werent able to fill the 13 or so per month 1A1 slots... they would either do an out of cycle grab..... or roll them over until next month.... not sure on that last part though... just speculation.... but I know they arent allowed to give all the quotas away in one month. Oh and yes.... if they had one slot available that month, they would rack and stack according to that one slot. The lower the quota... the less chance of getting the job..... unless you have a lot of Rank and TIS.

Probably the best answer would be to just wait and find out... but... with 1A3, there was still 18 FY09 slots left with only 3 months left in the FY.. does that mean at this point a lot of those slots are going to go to waste? Or since there is so few months left and a relatively large number of slots, they will be pulling 5-6 slots per month (pending that there are people applying for them).

And I am still (after reading this whole thread) confused about the entire board process. The AFI states that the board takes place on the third week of the month.. which would make sense, as indicated by drop in FTA slots for many career fields.. but then the message from My Stuff on AFPC reads:

CAREERS Retraining Applications can receive up to 3 consecutive board reviews. Reviews are conducted the last duty day of each month. This process is called the Quality Retraining Program.

Since billets dropped off the retraining advisory list, does it mean they already have names for those billets, or are the names chosen at the end of the month and all the drop in billets indicate is how many they will take when the board is conducted?

Sorry for all the mundane and seemingly pointless questions. Just anxious to see what happens or what I get, I had 1A3 as my first choice and only one slot dropped off. FE was second, so trying to make sense of it all. :P

Gunner7
06-26-2009, 07:35 PM
[QUOTE=Damastas;248442]Probably the best answer would be to just wait and find out... but... with 1A3, there was still 18 FY09 slots left with only 3 months left in the FY.. does that mean at this point a lot of those slots are going to go to waste? Or since there is so few months left and a relatively large number of slots, they will be pulling 5-6 slots per month (pending that there are people applying for them).

And I am still (after reading this whole thread) confused about the entire board process. The AFI states that the board takes place on the third week of the month.. which would make sense, as indicated by drop in FTA slots for many career fields.. but then the message from My Stuff on AFPC reads:

Since billets dropped off the retraining advisory list, does it mean they already have names for those billets, or are the names chosen at the end of the month and all the drop in billets indicate is how many they will take when the board is conducted?

If the number goes down in the advisory that means they booked someone into the slot. The discrepancy in "board" dates between the AFI and the "my stuff" can be attributed to the general AFPC "fuck it" attitude. Take the retraining instruction for example. AFI 36-2626 was first published in 1999, it was stamped current in Feb 2009. if you look at the list of changes you will see the instruction is way out of sync with the reality of retraining through the vMPF. There are now so many advisory notes, exceptions, waivers, 8106 messages, PSD handbook changes that AFPC who owns the process cant even keep their instruction in order. They stopped advertizing retraining in positions this year thanks to the belief that every Airman is sitting in front of a computer looking to go "All in" The number one source of accurate information on retraining is right in front of you on this forum. The reason : Airmen taking care of Airmen

kenton
06-26-2009, 08:08 PM
[QUOTE=Damastas;248442]Probably the best answer would be to just wait and find out... but... with 1A3, there was still 18 FY09 slots left with only 3 months left in the FY.. does that mean at this point a lot of those slots are going to go to waste? Or since there is so few months left and a relatively large number of slots, they will be pulling 5-6 slots per month (pending that there are people applying for them).

If the number goes down in the advisory that means they booked someone into the slot. The discrepancy in "board" dates between the AFI and the "my stuff" can be attributed to the general AFPC "fuck it" attitude. Take the retraining instruction for example. AFI 36-2626 was first published in 1999, it was stamped current in Feb 2009. if you look at the list of changes you will see the instruction is way out of sync with the reality of retraining through the vMPF. There are now so many advisory notes, exceptions, waivers, 8106 messages, PSD handbook changes that AFPC who owns the process cant even keep their instruction in order. They stopped advertizing retraining in positions this year thanks to the belief that every Airman is sitting in front of a computer looking to go "All in" The number one source of accurate information on retraining is right in front of you on this forum. The reason : Airmen taking care of Airmen

100% agree with the AFPC I dont give a damn attitude. I was reading the AFI... and under who qualifies as a FTA it stated read notes 12, 13. well the notes went up to note 6??? I go back up to the top.... its stamped current... FEB 09... Its sad to say ... but Ive basically decided.. as long as they get me a slot b4 Nov.... im happy!

imported_usafcrewchiefb2
06-29-2009, 01:35 PM
Time to start outprocessing for retrain...i know this may seem like a redudndant question here, but ive been waiting for so long to start class that ive simply forgotten most of this stuff...what all exactly should i take to lackland for fundies and BFE?? besides med records, and misc paperwork...

this is what i get for having a 7 month wait before class starts...

imported_SUPERSTAR
06-29-2009, 04:26 PM
I have been waiting 7 months also. 2 more months to go. I have no clue what to bring either.

imported_TJC78
06-29-2009, 10:40 PM
Time to start outprocessing for retrain...i know this may seem like a redudndant question here, but ive been waiting for so long to start class that ive simply forgotten most of this stuff...what all exactly should i take to lackland for fundies and BFE?? besides med records, and misc paperwork...

They say you need your medical records, but if for some reason your base doesn't want to give them up, you can get away with not having them. All they have to do is look up your social in the system to see if you're DNIF for any reason. If not, you're good to go. In the very least, you should bring your AF Form 1042.

Other than that, make sure you bring your service uniforms. If you have tattoos on your forearms, it might be a good idea to bring your long-sleeved shirts. You'll wear blues on Mondays and Fridays, and service dress for both Fundies and BFE graduation. Not much else to bring. Pencils, pens, highlighters, and in BFE you'll probably want a big 3-ring binder and a backpack. Of course make sure you have plenty of copies of your orders and the printout from the ETCA website for reporting instructions. Can't think of anything else at the moment. Any more questions, feel free to ask.

06-30-2009, 01:56 AM

Well being in your same boat my base wont give me my medical records"PRP is the Devil" and there treating this as a TDY outprocess, since im sloted to go back to my base in Decemeber. So outprocessing is very minimal for me. Anyone here actually schedueled for SERE and also when are you supposed to have a SERE date?

imported_TJC78
06-30-2009, 10:32 AM
Well being in your same boat my base wont give me my medical records"PRP is the Devil" and there treating this as a TDY outprocess, since im sloted to go back to my base in Decemeber. So outprocessing is very minimal for me. Anyone here actually schedueled for SERE and also when are you supposed to have a SERE date?

I wouldn't worry too much about any school dates past BFE, because those are all tentative. From what I understand, there are a bunch of guys who had a date for SERE but it was postponed due to lack of funding. It's all subject to change anyways depending on your airframe, so don't sweat it.

Just out of curiosity, how do you know you're going back to your base?

kenton
06-30-2009, 02:27 PM
Things are finally moving.... Status 5 as of 29 June. Now all I have to do is wait to see if its for FE or Load. Is there any way to tell during status 5 which AFSC they picked you up for? I only put load becuase I wasnt sure if they would accept my AFSC waiver.

06-30-2009, 02:39 PM
I wouldn't worry too much about any school dates past BFE, because those are all tentative. From what I understand, there are a bunch of guys who had a date for SERE but it was postponed due to lack of funding. It's all subject to change anyways depending on your airframe, so don't sweat it.

Just out of curiosity, how do you know you're going back to your base?

I dont have PCS orders. And since this base doesnt have any A/C with Flight Engineers ill just be in a transition status

Damastas
06-30-2009, 04:35 PM
Things are finally moving.... Status 5 as of 29 June. Now all I have to do is wait to see if its for FE or Load. Is there any way to tell during status 5 which AFSC they picked you up for? I only put load becuase I wasnt sure if they would accept my AFSC waiver.

Congrats!! And damn, if status 5's have already gone out, it doesn't look like I was picked up for either 1A3 or 1A1 currently.. my vMPF still reads status 3 as of 17 June. Oh well, there is always next month.

Damastas
07-01-2009, 03:41 AM
Congrats!! And damn, if status 5's have already gone out, it doesn't look like I was picked up for either 1A3 or 1A1 currently.. my vMPF still reads status 3 as of 17 June. Oh well, there is always next month.

Well shit - apparently it wasn't that I wasn't picked up, it was that the board met on 16 June, and my application wasn't status 3 till 17 June. Missed it by one day. FML for now having to wait an entire month+ for the cycle to repeat.

kenton
07-01-2009, 06:04 PM
Call AFPC thats what I Did and talk to there retraining department

Just called up and AFPC told me I got picked up for 1A111!! I'm thinking about putting Nellis, DM, and Travis on the dream sheet. If their are any HH-60 or C-5 Engineers around I would appriciate any info you have about these bases and their mission in general terms. I have heard from some C-5 loads that the mission has been cut back drastically, and they arent being used that often. I know HH-60's and C-5's is kind of a wierd combo, but im trying to stay west coast. Thanks in advance for any input.

07-01-2009, 10:43 PM
Just called up and AFPC told me I got picked up for 1A111!! I'm thinking about putting Nellis, DM, and Travis on the dream sheet. If their are any HH-60 or C-5 Engineers around I would appriciate any info you have about these bases and their mission in general terms. I have heard from some C-5 loads that the mission has been cut back drastically, and they arent being used that often. I know HH-60's and C-5's is kind of a wierd combo, but im trying to stay west coast. Thanks in advance for any input.

I havent been stationed at those bases but have lived at them" Military Family" Travis is a great base but like most west bases 3hrs from damn near everything and also houses/aparments off base are Expensive and crappy. Ive been TDY to Nellis 8 Times, and loved the base also talked to some of there FE's and never heard one complain about the base or there job. All the info I have seen is that HH-60 is 100% a Combat Search and Rescue Mission so I hope you like the desert. I am also trying for HH-60's but dont care If I get Cv-22's In Kirtland or Cannon or the 130's in Kirtland and DM as long as its a west base im happy.

kenton
07-01-2009, 10:50 PM
I havent been stationed at those bases but have lived at them" Military Family" Travis is a great base but like most west bases 3hrs from damn near everything and also houses/aparments off base are Expensive and crappy. Ive been TDY to Nellis 8 Times, and loved the base also talked to some of there FE's and never heard one complain about the base or there job. All the info I have seen is that HH-60 is 100% a Combat Search and Rescue Mission so I hope you like the desert. I am also trying for HH-60's but dont care If I get Cv-22's In Kirtland or Cannon or the 130's in Kirtland and DM as long as its a west base im happy.

Correct me if im wrong, but I thought with 130's you could only get dyess or little rock strait out of school. My only info is from this board on it though... but I thought I remembered reading something about 500 hrs before you could get the other bases.

07-01-2009, 10:52 PM
Correct me if im wrong, but I thought with 130's you could only get dyess or little rock strait out of school. My only info is from this board on it though... but I thought I remembered reading something about 500 hrs before you could get the other bases.

Friend of mine a C-130 FE at Dyess says 500 hrs is only for AC-130's and President stuff. But who knows and another E-3 Fe buddy of mine says that there allowing Cv-22's Straight outa BFE due to the new unit in Cannon so I guess it all falls under "What the AIRFORCE needs". Anyone have any concrete information on this subject?

Soon2beexloadtoad
07-02-2009, 12:02 AM
I'm new to the forum and need some help. I just got my "6" today along with tentative school dates. The dates are set for the time range that I should be returning from a deployment. As you all know all it will take is one plane to break down to make me late coming home. Who should I contact to "push" my dates back.

Max Power
07-02-2009, 01:14 AM

Your info is incorrect. I'm looking at my assignment preference sheet that I got today in class and there are 10 C-130 bases that are listed. CV-22 is not listed but that doesn't mean that you can't get it out of BFE. The 500 hours rule is for AFSOC frames like AC-130's. Good luck on your selection and welcome to the club.

kenton
07-02-2009, 07:47 AM
Your info is incorrect. I'm looking at my assignment preference sheet that I got today in class and there are 10 C-130 bases that are listed. CV-22 is not listed but that doesn't mean that you can't get it out of BFE. The 500 hours rule is for AFSOC frames like AC-130's. Good luck on your selection and welcome to the club.

Thanks for the info.... if you would be so kind, is there a chance you could either post the ten C-130 bases, or if your OPSEC minded... you could PM them to me. Also is their any other HH-60 bases west coast besides Nellis and DM? Thanks

Damastas
07-02-2009, 12:06 PM

I'm really confused now and think I will just shut up and color. So for 1A1, the retraining advisory just went from 91 to 80. Also, a bunch of other jobs went down, but some went up. And 9A000? I want this job! There are 83 FTA quotes, how do I get it? haha.

In all seriousness though are there two boards? I talked to AFPC on Monday who said the boards are always the third Tuesday of the month.. hence missing it by one day in June. But then I asked again yesterday, and they said (as if I was stupid and couldn't read) that my package hit June's board on Monday, which was the last duty day of the month and when they hold QRP boards.

So... I'm just going to shut up for now. We'll see what happens in the coming weeks.

Gunner7
07-02-2009, 01:16 PM
[QUOTE=Gunner7;248508]

I'm really confused now and think I will just shut up and color. So for 1A1, the retraining advisory just went from 91 to 80. Also, a bunch of other jobs went down, but some went up. And 9A000? I want this job! There are 83 FTA quotes, how do I get it? haha.

In all seriousness though are there two boards? I talked to AFPC on Monday who said the boards are always the third Tuesday of the month.. hence missing it by one day in June. But then I asked again yesterday, and they said (as if I was stupid and couldn't read) that my package hit June's board on Monday, which was the last duty day of the month and when they hold QRP boards.

So... I'm just going to shut up for now. We'll see what happens in the coming weeks.

They did hold a FTA board last week but God only knows what day it was held. Written guidance is that the board is held on the last Friday of the month. I have found that the day changes based on the following: How many training days AETC had that week/month. If there was a significant weather event (rain, sunshine, light wind, ice formation on the inside of the freezer), any federal, state, or county holiday, (domestic or foreign). Hang in there!

imported_usafcrewchiefb2
07-02-2009, 05:34 PM
[QUOTE=Gunner7;248508]

hahaha...u wanna be a disqualified airman waiting for a new retrain oppurtunity?!?! cuz thats what the 9a000 slots are...hahaha

Damastas
07-02-2009, 10:00 PM
Your Retraining Application Status is AWAITING CLASS SEAT (AFPC)(5) as of 02 JUL 2009.

!!!

kenton
07-03-2009, 07:46 AM
Your Retraining Application Status is AWAITING CLASS SEAT (AFPC)(5) as of 02 JUL 2009.

!!!

Congrats man... now its the waiting for status 6 game.... I wonder how long that will take... lol

BigBaze
07-03-2009, 07:50 AM
Had my first solo tonight!:> I will be mission qualified next week after my trip to Nellis,

Soon2beexloadtoad
07-04-2009, 02:18 PM
Had my first solo tonight!:> I will be mission qualified next week after my trip to Nellis,
That's awesome BigBaze! How long has it taken to get to this point from when you started training? Also, about how many evaluated flights have you had prior to this "first solo" flight? I can only hope and pray that I make it to that point in training.

BigBaze
07-04-2009, 09:29 PM
That's awesome BigBaze! How long has it taken to get to this point from when you started training? Also, about how many evaluated flights have you had prior to this "first solo" flight? I can only hope and pray that I make it to that point in training.

I graduated BFE on June 2008:) so over a year later I am mission qualified. I had 20 sim flights, then a sim checkride, then 15 actual flights with an instructor at the flying training unit (FTU) and then a checkride. I then went up to the squadron and got 2 missions before my first solo. now I have to build up 150 hours before I am mission qualified. I can fly local missions by myself but nothing overseas or out of the local area. About 110 hrs done so far

imported_usafcrewchiefb2
07-07-2009, 05:44 PM
Congrats again BigBaze on hittin' another milestone in your career! Im sure everything is about to get really exciting with you being able to do overseas missions by yourself...time to start seeing the world!

I just met up with my good buddy who just returned from training...he said it was one of the hardest but best times he has ever had in his career/life! After talking with him for only 20 minutes, i feel like i am already ahead of the game. October can not get here fast enough! 83 days!

How is everyone else doing in their process?? Whether it be packages to send to AFPC or the guys down in lackland...whats new?!

TheDude
07-07-2009, 05:50 PM
Two more weeks till I head to down to Lackland! I can't wait to get down there, just to think I started my retraining process a year ago...

Damastas
07-07-2009, 05:55 PM
I'm sitting at status 5 and know I should be getting a status 6 soon, but the wait is killing me. Can't wait to know when I am heading down there.

kenton
07-08-2009, 06:31 PM
Same here... status 5... My DOS is closing quickly.... less than 120 days now..

Max Power
07-08-2009, 10:19 PM
How is everyone else doing in their process?? Whether it be packages to send to AFPC or the guys down in lackland...whats new?!

I'm graduating fundies tomorrow and start BFE on Friday. Seems like I've been here forever already.

imported_usafcrewchiefb2
07-09-2009, 02:33 PM
well congrats to you fellas who have your package approved and are awaiting dates...and congrats to you all down in lackland for making it as far as you have...i am 82 days away from leaving for training myself and i cant wait...seems like these last 2 months are gonna take forever...cant wait to be a part of less than 2% of the enlisted air force...

good luck and god speed to everyone again...see yall around...

imported_SUPERSTAR
07-09-2009, 03:19 PM
64 days here! Can't wait to get started!

Does anybody have a list of nice things to take down there? Like silverware, Tupperware, etc... Stuff to make your life easier while there.

jav
07-10-2009, 03:42 AM
Hello,
I too am status (5), 1a0x1. as of 1july09. I think me and all the FE's sitting on status 5 will be receiving class dates around the same time. CANT WAIT

Laboi
07-10-2009, 07:48 AM
So, I've been thinking about retraining into flight engineer. I'm coming from the Comm maitenance world...a job I didnt sign up for but what ya gonna do.. i've been looking into this carrer field and so far there's only ONE thing that's unclear to me...

I wear contacts now, I'm getting surgery to get my vision corrected but according to AFI 48-123v3 para., A4.7.3.6. any laser surgery corrected vision is a disqualifying procedure. Is there a waiver I can get for this, and if so what are the steps to getting that approved?

BigBaze
07-10-2009, 11:54 AM
So, I've been thinking about retraining into flight engineer. I'm coming from the Comm maitenance world...a job I didnt sign up for but what ya gonna do.. i've been looking into this carrer field and so far there's only ONE thing that's unclear to me...

I wear contacts now, I'm getting surgery to get my vision corrected but according to AFI 48-123v3 para., A4.7.3.6. any laser surgery corrected vision is a disqualifying procedure. Is there a waiver I can get for this, and if so what are the steps to getting that approved?

Welcome to the thread! I have bad vision in fact I fail my depth perception. I would go to the flight doc and get a recommendation, they can tell you better then anyone. I had a date for the PRK eye surgery before I crosstrained and they recommended I wait until I was on flying status to get it. He said he could do a waiver but it might complicate getting your medical approved. My advice would be to wait on getting the surgery, unless you really need it to pass the medical. Once you are on flying status, it is easy to sign up again since flyers are on the top priority list, although once you get it you cannot fly for 4-5 months. Good luck!

Laboi
07-10-2009, 12:26 PM
Thanks for the info. No, I actually don't have really bad vision. I was just reccomended to get it by the Optometrist, but I definitely will wait to get it.

Laboi
07-10-2009, 12:29 PM
Also, okay I have a new question that arose as of this morning...

I contacted AFPC(deuches) I'm overseas, past my half point on my contract but under my 59th month of my six year contract. I was wondering if I could do the early retrain into this career field and got the most vague answer. Can anyone answer this, please?

bfowler82
07-10-2009, 04:46 PM
Laboi,
I am a 2E2 from the Comm world and had PRK bak in December of 05. I had to get a waiver to retrain which included a very indepth vision screening. The waiver took about 3 months to get, so if you are trying to get everything done quickly i would wait and go through the process after you retrain (or atleast see if you still can). I was approved for retraining after i got the waiver though.

Soon2beexloadtoad
07-10-2009, 07:30 PM
Also, okay I have a new question that arose as of this morning...

I contacted AFPC(deuches) I'm overseas, past my half point on my contract but under my 59th month of my six year contract. I was wondering if I could do the early retrain into this career field and got the most vague answer. Can anyone answer this, please?

I just got approved for retraining to FE last month and I am only four months past my half way mark. Just go to VMPF and start your retraining application. You actually don't even need a waiver. You can retrain to a critical maned position at half of your enlistment.

Laboi
07-10-2009, 08:39 PM
well congrats on your acceptance! =) BUT I was told I couldn't apply for early retraining because I'm overseas with a DEROS of 2011 which at that point I'll be cutting it short to my DOS... I don't know if it's true that I cant retrain early just cuzz I'm overseas or not thats what was very confusing cuzz they quoted AFI 36-2626 which I have no clue what it means!

This is exactly what I got from AFPC:

"Thank you for contacting the AFPC Service Center. Since you are stationed overseas, you fall under a different category for eligibility purposes. IAW AFI 36-2626, Chapter 4, paragraph 4.1.1.3. Ensures airmen stationed overseas apply between the 15th and 9th month before the DEROS and will enter the 35th month of service (59th for 6-year enlistees) on or before DEROS"

07-10-2009, 11:36 PM
I just got approved for retraining to FE last month and I am only four months past my half way mark. Just go to VMPF and start your retraining application. You actually don't even need a waiver. You can retrain to a critical maned position at half of your enlistment.

This job is not a criticaly manned AFSC, the up to date list is on AFPC's website. Also the FTA Carrers says that at your half way mark weither that be 2years for 4 year enlistes or 3 years for 6 years you are allowed to Xtrain into ANY 1AXXX carrer field or the usual EOD,PARARESCUE,SERE, COMBAT CONTROLLER etc etc. However there are certain rules for people overseas which I know nothing about. You also need a AFSC feeder for Flight Engineer as it states. So if ur not a Loadtoad, Crewchief,or pointy head your probaly gunna need a waiver.

TheDude
07-11-2009, 01:56 PM
This job is not a criticaly manned AFSC, the up to date list is on AFPC's website. Also the FTA Carrers says that at your half way mark weither that be 2years for 4 year enlistes or 3 years for 6 years you are allowed to Xtrain into ANY 1AXXX carrer field or the usual EOD,PARARESCUE,SERE, COMBAT CONTROLLER etc etc. However there are certain rules for people overseas which I know nothing about. You also need a AFSC feeder for Flight Engineer as it states. So if ur not a Loadtoad, Crewchief,or pointy head your probaly gunna need a waiver.

I'm a weapons guy and didn't think I would need a waiver, but I did and that lengthen the process a few months. I think Specs and APG are the only ones who don't have to get a waiver.

imported_AeroMech78
07-11-2009, 06:31 PM
Just out of curiosity, when are you able to switch from ABU's to flight suits? After BFE?

07-11-2009, 09:27 PM
Just out of curiosity, when are you able to switch from ABU's to flight suits? After BFE?

Im going to go with after BFE and you PCS dont be " That Guy"

imported_SUPERSTAR
07-11-2009, 10:35 PM
I knew that comment was coming. I wouldn’t be that “GUY” if I was you. It’s not all about wearing the flight suit. Sure it’s a benefit, but you have to earn it. If you’re doing it because of the flight suit…don’t do it! Wait until you PCS, then wear it.

venomadness
07-12-2009, 01:51 PM
I'm a weapons guy and didn't think I would need a waiver, but I did and that lengthen the process a few months. I think Specs and APG are the only ones who don't have to get a waiver.

How did you get your waiver, who did you have to go through?

BigBaze
07-13-2009, 03:48 AM

After you graduate BFE, you can wear it at SERE, but I recommend you wear your ABU/BDU because you will ruin your new flightsuits otherwise, and if you go during the summer, flightsuits do not breathe worth a damn!:) If you go to Pensacola for water survival you will need one for the training but they have them there for loan if you come without one. It's funny, when new people come to our squadron here, the first thing they ask is when they are getting their flight suit, I ain't gonna lie, I was eager too:)

kenton
07-13-2009, 03:53 AM
well congrats on your acceptance! =) BUT I was told I couldn't apply for early retraining because I'm overseas with a DEROS of 2011 which at that point I'll be cutting it short to my DOS... I don't know if it's true that I cant retrain early just cuzz I'm overseas or not thats what was very confusing cuzz they quoted AFI 36-2626 which I have no clue what it means!

This is exactly what I got from AFPC:

"Thank you for contacting the AFPC Service Center. Since you are stationed overseas, you fall under a different category for eligibility purposes. IAW AFI 36-2626, Chapter 4, paragraph 4.1.1.3. Ensures airmen stationed overseas apply between the 15th and 9th month before the DEROS and will enter the 35th month of service (59th for 6-year enlistees) on or before DEROS"

Cutting any more than 3 months off your DEROS is extremely hard. I was in the same situation as you and waited until my 78th month to finally put in my package. If its any benefit they will still put you in as a FTA as long as you dont re-enlist. You will have to get a waiver for crosstraining outside your Overseas window though.... but it didnt seem to be a problem to get. The only issue you will deal with is pushing your DOS fairly close. I am still waiting on status 6 and am less than 4 months from my DOS.

imported_usafcrewchiefb2
07-13-2009, 01:35 PM
sounds like a huge mess for ppl trying to retrain from overseas...glad im stateside...anyway...78 days to go...i wish it were closer because my give o' *^&% meter is dropping by the day for this place...i just wanna move onto bigger and better things...

talked to my buddy that just returned from all his formal training and he said there were 2 dudes that showed up to fundies in flight suits and got REEMED!! by the instructor and some senior for wearing them...he said it would be wise to not wear them until field training for SERE (only because they make the field training more comfortable), that one time in water survival, and then not again until you PCS and get approval from your gaining unit...he said too many ppl pushed the envelope on when they could finally wear their bags...just wear ABUs until someone says to wear your suit...

so for all you fellas down in BFE right now...whats the latest and greatest as far as what airframes the air force is needing FEs for right now...anything that is over manned and no need for anymore?? please tell me there are still some 130s slots left and if not then at least some 60s...

imported_AeroMech78
07-13-2009, 02:20 PM
I knew that comment was coming. I wouldn’t be that “GUY” if I was you. It’s not all about wearing the flight suit. Sure it’s a benefit, but you have to earn it. If you’re doing it because of the flight suit…don’t do it! Wait until you PCS, then wear it.

Easy there! Just asking a question. Seven years after seperating, I'm less interested in looking cool and more interested in being able to wear a comfortable one-piece uniform that I won't have to iron like the ole BDU's.

kenton
07-13-2009, 05:47 PM
so for all you fellas down in BFE right now...whats the latest and greatest as far as what airframes the air force is needing FEs for right now...anything that is over manned and no need for anymore?? please tell me there are still some 130s slots left and if not then at least some 60s...

Good question!! Any BFEers care to answer??

TheDude
07-14-2009, 12:02 AM
How did you get your waiver, who did you have to go through?

You just write the waiver in a MFR (short, sweet and straight to the point)-- just a short paragraph, and then have your commander sign it... then you just send it in with the rest of your paperwork.

Max Power
07-14-2009, 01:18 AM
Good question!! Any BFEers care to answer??

I'll tell you guys next week when we get our assignments.

imported_SUPERSTAR
07-14-2009, 04:37 AM
I'll tell you guys next week when we get our assignments.

How far into BFE do you find out assignments? Less than 2 months left!

I am Graduating NCOA this Thursday. Can’t wait to get out of the brainwashing school…It failed to “ReBlue” me.

Damastas
07-14-2009, 05:14 AM
Waiting for the status 6/class dates is nearly as hard as waiting for the initial status 5. :(

Max Power
07-14-2009, 12:10 PM
How far into BFE do you find out assignments? Less than 2 months left!

I am Graduating NCOA this Thursday. Can’t wait to get out of the brainwashing school…It failed to “ReBlue” me.

You usually find out in Block 3 which is normally the second week or so of BFE. You'll turn in your preferences on the first day of class.

imported_AeroMech78
07-14-2009, 04:47 PM
Is there wi-fi access at the Kelly Inn and on-base dormitory? If not, are there any options on paying for a wired internet connection while going through BFE? Having broadband for video link would go a long way towards keeping the wife happy while I'm away.