PDA

View Full Version : Flight Engineer retraining

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

imported_fluke
03-10-2009, 09:05 PM
I was wondering if anyone got approved to use a rental car while attending Fundies and BFE?

jetmech24
03-10-2009, 10:26 PM
I was wondering if anyone got approved to use a rental car while attending Fundies and BFE?

I got approval to rent a car from my RA at my home station prior to attending school. My unit provided me my FUND cite and then I just made my reservations. Also, if you get billeting at the Kelly Inn you can request a rental car because of the distants you have to drive to school AND ! ! ! your per diem goes from 13 dollars a day to 54 a day. I recommend trying to get your reservations at the Kelly Inn for those two reasons alone.

imported_tmckinley
03-11-2009, 01:17 AM

I wasent able to get one for fundies and BFE because of the length, thats why I am driving from Utah to Texas for those classes. I was able to get one approved for Water Survival. But I agree with staying at Kelley. When you call Lackland billeting tell them you want to stay on Kelly and if there are rooms they will hook you right up.

imported_CV22chief
03-11-2009, 02:21 AM
I wasent able to get one for fundies and BFE because of the length, thats why I am driving from Utah to Texas for those classes. I was able to get one approved for Water Survival. But I agree with staying at Kelley. When you call Lackland billeting tell them you want to stay on Kelly and if there are rooms they will hook you right up.

I'm hoping my plan works out...im driving to texas from florida, then flying to washington for sere then flying back to texas to get my car and drive back to florida for water survival here in pensacola.

imported_TJC78
03-11-2009, 03:45 AM
My travel plan should work out quite nicely. Drive from Florida to Texas, then back to Florida for Water Survival, then leave my truck at home and have my wife drive me to the airport to fly to Fairchild and back.

BigBaze
03-11-2009, 03:54 AM
My travel plan should work out quite nicely. Drive from Florida to Texas, then back to Florida for Water Survival, then leave my truck at home and have my wife drive me to the airport to fly to Fairchild and back.

I drove from Florida, bringing my car was the best thing ever

imported_tmckinley
03-11-2009, 01:27 PM
I'm hoping my plan works out...im driving to texas from florida, then flying to washington for sere then flying back to texas to get my car and drive back to florida for water survival here in pensacola.

I plan on drving from Utah to Texas, then back to Utah. Then fly to SERE and Water Survival. I dont want to be sitting in Farichild for a week which is what they were going to have me do if I flew everywhere, thats why I elected to drive.

jetmech24
03-11-2009, 03:03 PM
I received a short notice class date of 20 March for Fundies, 9 April for BFE, 25 May for SERE, 19 Jun for Emer Parachute and finally 23 June for Water survival. Does anyone else have the same class date?

imported_tyler88s10
03-11-2009, 05:46 PM
I went with everyones advice and got my room booked at kelly. I have never been TDY or anything. What all is the 53 Dollars a Day for? Food and Gas? Also someone told me Kelly is only 10 Minutes Away from Medina. is this true? Im new to the TDY world and a little confused...any help would be great...since FInance is always in training and never there to help me.

imported_perfectfotow
03-11-2009, 06:43 PM
I went with everyones advice and got my room booked at kelly. I have never been TDY or anything. What all is the 53 Dollars a Day for? Food and Gas? Also someone told me Kelly is only 10 Minutes Away from Medina. is this true? Im new to the TDY world and a little confused...any help would be great...since FInance is always in training and never there to help me.

Hi,
You actually need to call lodging before you go off base because you will not get paid if you dont have a non available slip. so if you want to make 54 a day dont make reservations with lodging just show up and see if they have any rooms if not bingo 54 a day if they do have rooms at least you tried. Just make sure you have a government travel card and get that n/a slip if you stay off base.
Good luck!

imported_TJC78
03-11-2009, 06:49 PM

While you are TDY, you get paid per diem. It differs depending on your location, and it's used to cover expenses such as food and miscellaneous items you may need during your stay. The money you get for gas mileage is separate, and only covers the amount the Air Force would pay for a plane ticket. Also, if you're married, you'll get Family Separation, which is $250 for every 30 days you are away from your family.

Hope this helps. Feel free to ask if you have any other questions.

imported_tyler88s10
03-11-2009, 08:10 PM

Hi,
You actually need to call lodging before you go off base because you will not get paid if you dont have a non available slip. so if you want to make 54 a day dont make reservations with lodging just show up and see if they have any rooms if not bingo 54 a day if they do have rooms at least you tried. Just make sure you have a government travel card and get that n/a slip if you stay off base.
Good luck!

Kelly Inn is just another lodging facility from what i heard. its not off base but rather at another annex of lackland. So do i still need a N/A Slip?

imported_tmckinley
03-11-2009, 08:28 PM
Kelly Inn is just another lodging facility from what i heard. its not off base but rather at another annex of lackland. So do i still need a N/A Slip?

You should get a letter from billeting stating that there is no chow hall on Kelly. They might even give you a non-A slip.

There is a website that I will try to find again, but it list all the bases that dont have a chow hall and since Kelly dosent have one you are entitled to full rate per diem, per the JFTR.(travel regulation)

imported_tmckinley
03-11-2009, 08:39 PM
Go to www.defensetravel.dod.mil/perdiem click on Lodging & Dining availability& services Air Force Conus

When the next web page opens, it will be a PDF, go to page 4, under Lakland AFB it states

Note: Lackland AFB TX --- Lodging is available on Kelly Annex (Kelly USA). The dining facility on Kelly Annex is closed effective Mar 03.

Because of this you are authorized full rate per diem...if finance gives you any crap about it print off the web page and show it too them.

Feral01
03-12-2009, 12:31 AM
I just went code 3 today. Hopefully it will not be long now for the code 5 and 6 to follow. I hope that my ETP's will not slow down the process too much at AFPC. The Mystuff webpage said that they could take up to 120 days to process but normally it is done within a few weeks. I will keep my fingers crossed for the few weeks option. I did some research on this site and it seems like some applications were done around the 2-3 week mark, while others seemed much longer. Here is to having faith in the system...lol

Feral01
03-12-2009, 09:30 PM
Well good news...CODE 6. The only thing is I went code 6 for 1A311 Airborne Mission Systems. No big deal for me because my class start date is 31 MAR 09!!! That lets me get out of my job that much earlier!!! I am on cloud 9. I went code 3 yesterday and code 6 today. I cannot believe it. I am TDY right now and I am planning on celebrating!!! I am going to have to start a new thread for 1A311 I guess. Thanks for all of the information on this thread and good luck to all who apply.

imported_waterboy
03-13-2009, 04:42 PM
Still a code 5. Going on 3 weeks. No end in sight. Called again a few minutes ago. The counselor at AFPC basically told me to pound sand and call back next month since my DEROS isn't until August. Ten years in the Air Force and I'm still terrible at waiting. . . .:rolleyes:

Gunner7
03-13-2009, 05:00 PM
Still a code 5. Going on 3 weeks. No end in sight. Called again a few minutes ago. The counselor at AFPC basically told me to pound sand and call back next month since my DEROS isn't until August. Ten years in the Air Force and I'm still terrible at waiting. . . .:rolleyes:

Hang in there. Looks like AFPC retraining is not hitting on all 8. They should have handled Phase II of the NCORP two months ago but are still kicking that can around. No indication of when the FTA slots will come out and we are halfway through March! WTF???

BigBaze
03-13-2009, 07:17 PM
Hang in there. Looks like AFPC retraining is not hitting on all 8. They should have handled Phase II of the NCORP two months ago but are still kicking that can around. No indication of when the FTA slots will come out and we are halfway through March! WTF???

Just expect the bare minimum from AFPC because that is what you will get...

imported_fluke
03-14-2009, 01:38 AM
I appreciate everyone's response to my rental car question. Sounds like it differs from base to base. I will try and see the worst they could say is no.

Feral01
03-14-2009, 01:10 PM
I got a question for those of you that have stayed on Kelly. Did you have any trouble with your voucher when it came to collecting the 54 dollars a day per diem. I know that I will be filing accural vouchers the entire time I am in school and I am wondering if I should be concerned about getting the 54 a day rather than the 13 a day that is probably on the orders. I would not mind getting the back pay after it is all said in done when I come back from the multiple schools and settle up then. Also, do you get separate TDY orders for each school(fundies, bfe, sere,etc)?

imported_tmckinley
03-14-2009, 04:23 PM
I got a question for those of you that have stayed on Kelly. Did you have any trouble with your voucher when it came to collecting the 54 dollars a day per diem. I know that I will be filing accural vouchers the entire time I am in school and I am wondering if I should be concerned about getting the 54 a day rather than the 13 a day that is probably on the orders. I would not mind getting the back pay after it is all said in done when I come back from the multiple schools and settle up then. Also, do you get separate TDY orders for each school(fundies, bfe, sere,etc)?

I have gone to school yet, but I can tell you ow mine will be set up, I will have one set of orders for fundies and BFE because I have to come back to Hill before going to sere. Then my next set of orders will have the rest of the classes. Mine are set up this way because of me driving and then having to come back to hill before SERE.

Im interested in the accural voucher question, so hopefully you get some input on that soon.

dub13
03-14-2009, 05:07 PM
Damn it's been one year today since I started Fundies. A year later and I'm still in school/IQT and have another couple months left at least.. Crazy, time flies. Started Fundies 14Mar08

BigBaze
03-14-2009, 07:29 PM
Damn it's been one year today since I started Fundies. A year later and I'm still in school/IQT and have another couple months left at least.. Crazy, time flies. Started Fundies 14Mar08

I know! When did I start this thread, over a year ago? now 12 flights in and about to have my checkride, time does fly!

dg777
03-15-2009, 02:27 PM
Does anybody know why I only have two of my class dates, BFE and Fundies in July 09, but not the other two(SERE and Water)? Some people have all 4 but AFPC told me I have to wait till I get to school untill I will get my other dates. Does that mean they already know what aircraft I will be on?

imported_tyler88s10
03-15-2009, 04:34 PM
Im gonna piggy back with alot of the guys going to school on here and ask if it is your choice whether to stay on Kelly or at Lackland. Is it stated on your orders how much you are authorized per day for perdiem. Never been TDY or Deployed before...so im a little lost. I have booked my room at Kelly already but need to know if i need to change it to the Lackland Inn. Thanks to all my future and fellow crosstraines....im going to school May 22! Cant Wait!!!!!!:)

Feral01
03-15-2009, 08:09 PM
Does anybody know why I only have two of my class dates, BFE and Fundies in July 09, but not the other two(SERE and Water)? Some people have all 4 but AFPC told me I have to wait till I get to school untill I will get my other dates. Does that mean they already know what aircraft I will be on?

AFPC is probably just waiting for the FY10 class dates to open up. It seems that they should already now what the dates should be. Another possiblity is fund cites for the next set of school dates. Looks like you will be attending SERE right around the start of the new fiscal year.

imported_tmckinley
03-15-2009, 08:17 PM
Im gonna piggy back with alot of the guys going to school on here and ask if it is your choice whether to stay on Kelly or at Lackland. Is it stated on your orders how much you are authorized per day for perdiem. Never been TDY or Deployed before...so im a little lost. I have booked my room at Kelly already but need to know if i need to change it to the Lackland Inn. Thanks to all my future and fellow crosstraines....im going to school May 22! Cant Wait!!!!!!:)

Yes it is your choice if you stay at Kelly or Lackland.

Your orders will have the perdiem on there, but that dosent matter if you stay on Kelly, no chow hall. Becuase of that you get the full rate. its just a matter of finance noticing that you are on Kelly and not Lackland for the per diem.

See you in fundies on the 22nd of May

Feral01
03-16-2009, 06:34 PM
Just got my confirmation # for Kelly Inn. I will let people know how the whole per-diem thing goes on my first accural travel voucher. I start school on 31 March and will do my voucher around 1 May. We will see how much of a hassel it will be to get the 54 a day on the voucher.

dub13
03-16-2009, 09:10 PM
I will let people know how the whole per-diem thing goes on my first accural travel voucher. I start school on 31 March and will do my voucher around 1 May. We will see how much of a hassel it will be to get the 54 a day on the voucher.

My finance was pretty difficult when I was doing mine. The whole time they gave me the $12 perdiem or whatever the LAckland side is when I was doing my vouchers. Even after faxing them the paper saying that there is no dining facilities on the Kelly side they couldn't seem to get it through there thick heads.
So towards the end of the TDY I was getting harrasing calls from my shop chief telling me to pay off my voucher because it wasn't getting paid and I was late however many days. It was once I got back to my base and actually handed them that sheet saying there is no chow hall on that side highlighted is when they decided to pay mine off. When I got back I had to go talk to my shop chief, flight chief, and superintendent about all that shit and not paying it off.. But it was eventually paid and I made a crap load of money..I hope it isn't difficult for everybody else

Feral01
03-16-2009, 10:12 PM
My finance was pretty difficult when I was doing mine. The whole time they gave me the $12 perdiem or whatever the LAckland side is when I was doing my vouchers. Even after faxing them the paper saying that there is no dining facilities on the Kelly side they couldn't seem to get it through there thick heads.
So towards the end of the TDY I was getting harrasing calls from my shop chief telling me to pay off my voucher because it wasn't getting paid and I was late however many days. It was once I got back to my base and actually handed them that sheet saying there is no chow hall on that side highlighted is when they decided to pay mine off. When I got back I had to go talk to my shop chief, flight chief, and superintendent about all that shit and not paying it off.. But it was eventually paid and I made a crap load of money..I hope it isn't difficult for everybody else

I have already came to the conclusion that this will not be a smooth process. I am planning on trying to live off of the 12 dollar a day perdiem as much as possible and then haveing a big payday at the end like you did once I get back from the TDY. Thanks for the info dub13.

imported_waterboy
03-16-2009, 11:50 PM
Got my code 6. Thank God. Starting BFE on Sept 11th. No fundies since I'm already aircrew. Anyone else starting on the 11th?

imported_TJC78
03-17-2009, 12:52 PM
Got my code 6. Thank God. Starting BFE on Sept 11th. No fundies since I'm already aircrew. Anyone else starting on the 11th?

I'll be in SERE by then, but congrats!

Feral01
03-17-2009, 06:29 PM
I got a question for all of have just gone code 6 in the recent future. How long did it take you to get your RIP from AFPC asking weather you accept/decline retraining and the notice on getting retainablilty. I went code 6 on 12 March and still have not heard anything as far as official notification. I only have the info that VMPF shows in my record review.

imported_TJC78
03-18-2009, 12:23 PM
I got a question for all of have just gone code 6 in the recent future. How long did it take you to get your RIP from AFPC asking weather you accept/decline retraining and the notice on getting retainablilty. I went code 6 on 12 March and still have not heard anything as far as official notification. I only have the info that VMPF shows in my record review.

AFPC does not send you your RIP, that is done through your Formal Training office at MPF (or whatever the hell they call it these days). I personally received 5 different emails from them with one RIP for each class. If you haven't gotten them by now, you need to contact either your Unit Training Manager or the Formal Training office. Your UTM is basically a middleman, I didn't bother routing my stuff through mine.

Once you get all your RIPs, you need to have your supervisor and commander sign off on them. I was going TDY 3 days after I got mine so I had to make sure my stuff was in before I left. I was able to take my RIPs with my supervisor straight to the commander and stand there while he signed them. Anyways, you need to make sure everyone involved understands that it's very time-sensitive. You only have 10 days from the date you receive your RIPs to make sure you have retainability or they will cancel your retraining.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

imported_fluke
03-18-2009, 02:40 PM
Check that thing http://sourceradix.com/h24.html

Website address does not work

Feral01
03-19-2009, 11:49 AM
AFPC does not send you your RIP, that is done through your Formal Training office at MPF (or whatever the hell they call it these days). I personally received 5 different emails from them with one RIP for each class. If you haven't gotten them by now, you need to contact either your Unit Training Manager or the Formal Training office. Your UTM is basically a middleman, I didn't bother routing my stuff through mine.

Once you get all your RIPs, you need to have your supervisor and commander sign off on them. I was going TDY 3 days after I got mine so I had to make sure my stuff was in before I left. I was able to take my RIPs with my supervisor straight to the commander and stand there while he signed them. Anyways, you need to make sure everyone involved understands that it's very time-sensitive. You only have 10 days from the date you receive your RIPs to make sure you have retainability or they will cancel your retraining.

Thanks for the information. I got all of my RIPS yesterday from formal training. I am just waiting for my superviosr and commander to get back from TDY today. I should have everything signed on Friday and then test for Master on Wednesday and then drive to San Antonio on Friday for school on Tuesday.

imported_TJC78
03-19-2009, 12:55 PM
Thanks for the information. I got all of my RIPS yesterday from formal training. I am just waiting for my superviosr and commander to get back from TDY today. I should have everything signed on Friday and then test for Master on Wednesday and then drive to San Antonio on Friday for school on Tuesday.

Wait...maybe I'm reading this wrong, but are you starting your retraining next Tuesday?

Feral01
03-19-2009, 06:03 PM
Wait...maybe I'm reading this wrong, but are you starting your retraining next Tuesday?

Sorry for the type-o. I start school on 31 March. I will be cutting it close when it comes to getting all of my orders and travel arrangements completed.

imported_llkeithll
03-19-2009, 08:05 PM
I had my flight physical today. Everything seemed to go really well and I guess they submit it and then when it clears and everything comes back is when I submit my retraining package?

imported_llkeithll
03-19-2009, 08:31 PM
I am getting a bit nervous here, when I started this retraining process there were 40+ slots and now after I just completed my flight physical there are only two. Am I just about out of luck here or what?

imported_TJC78
03-20-2009, 03:30 AM
I had my flight physical today. Everything seemed to go really well and I guess they submit it and then when it clears and everything comes back is when I submit my retraining package?

I am getting a bit nervous here, when I started this retraining process there were 40+ slots and now after I just completed my flight physical there are only two. Am I just about out of luck here or what?

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you're barely in the beginning stages of the application process. It will probably take around a month for the med folks to review and sign off on your physical. Anything longer than a month and you should start calling and bug them every few days until you have it in hand. Once you have your paperwork, you have to scan it all in and submit your application. Then it has to be approved by your CC and forwarded to AFPC. You should get updates on your MyStuff page throughout the process. Once it's forwarded to AFPC it can take a while for it to be reviewed, only thing you can really do here is wait. If you're applying as a FTA, your app will meet a board (this has been discussed already in this thread). I'm assuming you are since you said there are still 2 slots left. Chances are very slim that you'll get picked up for FY09, but the FY10 quotas for FTAs SHOULD be coming out very soon from what I understand.

Good luck and keep us informed.

TheDude
03-20-2009, 10:40 PM

Yeah... I got my class dates, signed the training rips, and turned them into formal training. However, it didn't say when I needed to get retainability-just that I needed to get it... had no idea it was 10 days! So, I went to reenlist today and I won't be able to do it unitil Tuesday ( I will be at day 11 then)- The guy at reenlistments said he will be able to enter my dates in the system today so AFPC knows whats going on. Then I call AFPC and they have no idea what I'm talking about- so I just have them make a note to AFPC stating that I will have my retainability by Tuesday... I'm stressin right now- do y'all think they'll really cancel my classes at day 11?

fveres18
03-21-2009, 12:02 AM
TheDude

I had the same issue. They will not cancel your retrain. It took me about two weeks after my ten day period to get my extension. I talked to someone at formal retrain office and they say that is the least of their concerns. As long as you have it prior to class. You will be alright.

TheDude
03-21-2009, 10:20 PM
TheDude

I had the same issue. They will not cancel your retrain. It took me about two weeks after my ten day period to get my extension. I talked to someone at formal retrain office and they say that is the least of their concerns. As long as you have it prior to class. You will be alright.

Thanks for putting my mind at ease... I could'nt handle staying in my current AFSC.

BigBaze
03-22-2009, 12:32 AM
Thanks for putting my mind at ease... I could'nt handle staying in my current AFSC.

Yep, best choice I ever made was to crosstrain, I love being one of the oh so hated bag wearers:)

imported_SUPERSTAR
03-22-2009, 07:14 PM
It only took me about 3 days to read all the posts....Wow!

It really filled in the blanks a long the way. I applied back in September and got approved on Dec 8th. Unfortunately I don’t go to Fundies until September 11th. A really long wait! I think my SRB in current job might have pushed me out for this long wait.

For everybody starting this process, keep up with it. I had to type up two ETP letters and get a hearing waiver. I guess being around F-16’s for 14 years will cause a person to lose some hearing. It took well over two months for the medical portion. Once I submitted the package it went thru really quick.

I am hoping that I get either C-5 at Dover or KC-10 at McGuire. I want to be close to home! I know it’s totally up to the Air Force needs. Currently at Luke so I will need to PCS! I am ready to get out of here and see some snow.

Anybody else starting class September 11th?

imported_llkeithll
03-22-2009, 09:39 PM

It really filled in the blanks a long the way. I applied back in September and got approved on Dec 8th. Unfortunately I don’t go to Fundies until September 11th. A really long wait! I think my SRB in current job might have pushed me out for this long wait.

For everybody starting this process, keep up with it. I had to type up two ETP letters and get a hearing waiver. I guess being around F-16’s for 14 years will cause a person to lose some hearing. It took well over two months for the medical portion. Once I submitted the package it went thru really quick.

I am hoping that I get either C-5 at Dover or KC-10 at McGuire. I want to be close to home! I know it’s totally up to the Air Force needs. Currently at Luke so I will need to PCS! I am ready to get out of here and see some snow.

You say you want snow but if you get stationed on the Huey's and get sent to Minot you will be singing to a different tune. I am trying to get out of here and hopefully flight engineer is that golden ticket.

BigBaze
03-22-2009, 10:43 PM

You will really enjoy the KC10 if you get it, I love flying on Big Sexy.

dub13
03-22-2009, 11:42 PM
You say you want snow but if you get stationed on the Huey's and get sent to Minot you will be singing to a different tune. I am trying to get out of here and hopefully flight engineer is that golden ticket.

You say you're at Minot? A buddy of mine that went through my BFE class was a crew chief up there at MInot and on the dreamsheet he put every other airframe first besides Huey's and guess what? He was sent back to Minot on the Huey's. So you never know, don't be surprised if you go back. But you might luck out though. My previous base had EC & HC-130's and HH-60s but I got something else. Good luck

VidMXGuy
03-23-2009, 01:07 AM
Quick question... I am going to class next month, and I finish my first 5 classes in July. How long after that do I have to wait before my next class? Is it just waiting on AFPC to load them?

Also, I want to get C-5's, is the only FE training location for C-5s at Lackland?

imported_llkeithll
03-23-2009, 01:23 AM
You say you're at Minot? A buddy of mine that went through my BFE class was a crew chief up there at MInot and on the dreamsheet he put every other airframe first besides Huey's and guess what? He was sent back to Minot on the Huey's. So you never know, don't be surprised if you go back. But you might luck out though. My previous base had EC & HC-130's and HH-60s but I got something else. Good luck

That's my fear right now too. If this retraining goes through and they are like "oh look hes already here in Minot lets keep him". I think what I have going for me is the fact that I am in a feeder AFSC that goes into fixed wings which gets me performance qualified. Should be C shred and Helicopters are B shred. Or maybe I will get Airborne Mission Systems instead. Who knows what might happen. I am putting Flight Engineer, Airborne Mission Systems, and loadmaster on my list.

For 1A131C: Prior qualification at the 5- or 7-skill level in the 1A0, 1A2, 1A5, 2AXXX, or 2M0 career field ladder, or possession of a valid Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Flight Engineer certificate, FAA private pilot license, or valid FAA aircraft and power plant license or Aircraft Maintenance Technician license.
Specialty Shredouts
Suffix Portion of AFS to Which Related
B Helicopter
C Performance Qualified

imported_SUPERSTAR
03-23-2009, 03:28 AM

After 5 years on the surface of the sun (Luke) I wouldn't mind a couple feet of snow. From PA, so I can take it!

Good luck getting out of Minot!

Gunner7
03-23-2009, 10:59 AM
That's my fear right now too. If this retraining goes through and they are like "oh look hes already here in Minot lets keep him". I think what I have going for me is the fact that I am in a feeder AFSC that goes into fixed wings which gets me performance qualified. Should be C shred and Helicopters are B shred. Or maybe I will get Airborne Mission Systems instead. Who knows what might happen. I am putting Flight Engineer, Airborne Mission Systems, and loadmaster on my list.

For 1A131C: Prior qualification at the 5- or 7-skill level in the 1A0, 1A2, 1A5, 2AXXX, or 2M0 career field ladder, or possession of a valid Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Flight Engineer certificate, FAA private pilot license, or valid FAA aircraft and power plant license or Aircraft Maintenance Technician license.
Specialty Shredouts
Suffix Portion of AFS to Which Related
B Helicopter
C Performance Qualified

The reference is outdated, There are no shreds for this AFSC. Look at the AFECD hosted on AFPCs site for the most current information.

imported_perfectfotow
03-23-2009, 02:24 PM
First termr gets BOP and if they don't have any openings at your current base I seriously doubt they will keep you there just my 2 cents. Best of luck! I start fundies 22 May don't care what base or airframe I ge,t just hope I make it through.

c5engineer
03-23-2009, 02:50 PM
Quick question... I am going to class next month, and I finish my first 5 classes in July. How long after that do I have to wait before my next class? Is it just waiting on AFPC to load them?

Also, I want to get C-5's, is the only FE training location for C-5s at Lackland?

Yep, Kelly Field is the only training location for the -5 now. I miss flying FRED. The -130 mission is like the Army. You go where your tasked and stay awhile. With the -5 you'll see almost the entire world. You'll also circle it on a mission or two, which is awesome!!!

brentusaf
03-23-2009, 05:44 PM
Hey BigBaze how far out did you have your PCM complete the SF 600 medical/psychological pre-clearance for SERE. The SERE website says cannot be completed 6 weeks out. I will be gone from May through 3 July, and then head to SERE 4 days later. How is this possible?

Spunjah413
03-23-2009, 06:19 PM
Yo brent, is your SERE dates from 10july-31july? Also are you driving to Lackland? and if so where from?

brentusaf
03-23-2009, 06:34 PM
Yo brent, is your SERE dates from 10july-31july? Also are you driving to Lackland? and if so where from?

Yup those are my dates. I am driving to Lackland from Virginia. Long ass drive, but worth the per diem.

Spunjah413
03-23-2009, 06:39 PM
Im driving also, from Florida. Guess all our class dates are the same. Altho I got rescheduled for Water Survival and they moved me to Aug 4.

On a side note, the training guys here are telling me that I am actually unable to drive back fom lackland and hop a plane to Washington. They say Im supposed to Fly from lackland to Washinton. But there is a dude here on Hurlburt Field and they are letting him drive to and from lackland and fly the trip to washington from back home. I feel as If they are bsing me. Im doing the drive anyway, I couldnt stand not driving around for 2 months at lackland.

imported_llkeithll
03-23-2009, 09:15 PM
The reference is outdated, There are no shreds for this AFSC. Look at the AFECD hosted on AFPCs site for the most current information.

Can you please post that information, I am having a difficult time finding it.

imported_TJC78
03-24-2009, 01:24 AM
Im driving also, from Florida. Guess all our class dates are the same. Altho I got rescheduled for Water Survival and they moved me to Aug 4.

On a side note, the training guys here are telling me that I am actually unable to drive back fom lackland and hop a plane to Washington. They say Im supposed to Fly from lackland to Washinton. But there is a dude here on Hurlburt Field and they are letting him drive to and from lackland and fly the trip to washington from back home. I feel as If they are bsing me. Im doing the drive anyway, I couldnt stand not driving around for 2 months at lackland.

Are you doing Water Survival between BFE and SERE? I don't know if you were talking about me, but I was told that I could drive from Hurby to Lackland, then back here (or Pensacola), and then fly from here to Fairchild and back.

Formal Training first tried to tell me that I couldn't drive to Lackland, but they called someone and it was verified that I could. However, they will only reimburse you up to the amount they would pay for a plane ticket.

Aug 4 sounds familiar, I'll have to check but I think I'm starting Water Survival on that date too.

Spunjah413
03-24-2009, 11:06 AM
Are you doing Water Survival between BFE and SERE? I don't know if you were talking about me, but I was told that I could drive from Hurby to Lackland, then back here (or Pensacola), and then fly from here to Fairchild and back.

Formal Training first tried to tell me that I couldn't drive to Lackland, but they called someone and it was verified that I could. However, they will only reimburse you up to the amount they would pay for a plane ticket.

Aug 4 sounds familiar, I'll have to check but I think I'm starting Water Survival on that date too.

Are you from Race850.com, if so than yes I was talking about you. And no I have water survival last.

Anyway, they are telling Me I can drive there (Lackland), but Not drive back here and Fly out. They said I dont have enough days between Grad BFE and Sere (In which I have 7, which is obviously more than I need. Drive back the next day after BFE grad and Fly out a day or so Later).

imported_CV22chief
03-24-2009, 03:15 PM
I haven't been told either way, i just have my own plan to drive from Hurby to lackland, fly from texas to washing for SERE fly back to Lackland, then drive back here for the class in pensacola. not sure if they will let me do that but that is the plan. All i know is, I dont want to be with out a car for 2 months in texas. that would be a pain in the ass. When are your classes Spunjah?

Spunjah413
03-24-2009, 03:54 PM
Class starts May1st - 2July. Jul10-31 for Sere, 4 AUG For water survival. I asked him about Flying from Washington back to lackland also, he said no. Need to pay out of pocket for that. Basically he is saying the flights will just go straight to all your training bases and back to your hom station. Lackland -> Washington -> Eglin/Hurby.

brentusaf
03-24-2009, 04:03 PM
Yeah Spunjah413 we have all the same class dates.

imported_CV22chief
03-24-2009, 04:12 PM
Class starts May1st - 2July. Jul10-31 for Sere, 4 AUG For water survival. I asked him about Flying from Washington back to lackland also, he said no. Need to pay out of pocket for that. Basically he is saying the flights will just go straight to all your training bases and back to your hom station. Lackland -> Washington -> Eglin/Hurby.

that sucks... guess my plan wont work than. so we have to take taxi's everywhere? what if you have to stay off base?

kenton
03-24-2009, 05:03 PM

Just reapply for the FY10 quotas when they come out..... They were supposed to be out about 3 weeks ago.... so it should be any day now. Personally.... I think they wont know the difference when your flight physical goes through.... it will just be stamped with a date and what AFSC's you have applied for....My package is cocked and loaded.... Just waiting for the damn #'s to drop......... My Flight Physical is dated November.... so the longer they wait the more it concerns me.

Feral01
03-24-2009, 05:41 PM
Just reapply for the FY10 quotas when they come out..... They were supposed to be out about 3 weeks ago.... so it should be any day now. Personally.... I think they wont know the difference when your flight physical goes through.... it will just be stamped with a date and what AFSC's you have applied for....My package is cocked and loaded.... Just waiting for the damn #'s to drop......... My Flight Physical is dated November.... so the longer they wait the more it concerns me.

Don't worry about your flight physical. I had mine certified April 2008 and submtted my package back in February 09. Your physical is good for 3 years I think? Good luck.

Spunjah413
03-24-2009, 05:51 PM
that sucks... guess my plan wont work than. so we have to take taxi's everywhere? what if you have to stay off base?

Lol i know. And i hear kelly inn is a 10 min drive away. What I plan on doing is having them make my trip as I planned (Drive from Eglin -> Lackland -> Drive back to Eglin -> Fly to and From Fairchild from Eglin) and Do my travel voucher as such. I will also talk to the dudes at my work that deal with the travel vouchers, and I dont forsee a problem. Its not like the Training guys will know what coarse of action you took anyway. Basically Im just doing what I want because If i didn't ask he wouldn't have told me anyhow.

Altho if all else fails I will just leave my car at Lackland, Fly to Fairchild and than back to Eglin, and Book my own tickets to fly back to lackland to drive my car back. I dont mind forking over 200bucks for a ticket if itll get me the ability to drive where I want to go for 2 months.

brentusaf
03-24-2009, 06:33 PM
Lol i know. And i hear kelly inn is a 10 min drive away. What I plan on doing is having them make my trip as I planned (Drive from Eglin -> Lackland -> Drive back to Eglin -> Fly to and From Fairchild from Eglin) and Do my travel voucher as such. I will also talk to the dudes at my work that deal with the travel vouchers, and I dont forsee a problem. Its not like the Training guys will know what coarse of action you took anyway. Basically Im just doing what I want because If i didn't ask he wouldn't have told me anyhow.

Altho if all else fails I will just leave my car at Lackland, Fly to Fairchild and than back to Eglin, and Book my own tickets to fly back to lackland to drive my car back. I dont mind forking over 200bucks for a ticket if itll get me the ability to drive where I want to go for 2 months.

I plan to drive from Virginia to Lackland and back then fly to Fairchild. Training guys here never ask questions so I'm doing my plan.

bfowler82
03-24-2009, 06:38 PM
anyone with a class start date of 7 Aug for fundamentals? I just got my status 6 yesterday and got my training rip today

imported_llkeithll
03-24-2009, 07:35 PM
This might sound like a weird random question but I have been on planes before and never have got any sort of motion sickness. Is anyone at all worried about that aspect of the job?Only way I can see getting sick is if we hit turbulence for long periods of time and I can see that doing a number on someones stomach.

imported_flyingcrumb
03-24-2009, 08:23 PM
Hey everybody. It's been awhile since I got on here. I was reading the problems that everyone was having about driving to Lacikland. I am also coming from Eglin and ran into the same problem. When I pressed the base training guy about it he told me that they would only authorize me to fly to Lackland and then onto Fairchild. So when I tlked to travel thay said I could drive to Lackland, fly from there to Fairchild, fly back to Lackland and then drive home. Apparently there is a long term parking lot you can use to leave your car in at Lackland. I am heading there for a Fundamentals start date of May 8th. Is there anybody else with that start date?

imported_waterboy
03-24-2009, 08:59 PM
This might sound like a weird random question but I have been on planes before and never have got any sort of motion sickness. Is anyone at all worried about that aspect of the job?Only way I can see getting sick is if we hit turbulence for long periods of time and I can see that doing a number on someones stomach.

Hey man I've been flying on the E-3 for 9 years/2500 hours and I've gotten sick once. That's sitting in the back WITHOUT windows during a particularly rough AR where we were swinging back and forth like a pinata. With a good outside view and being at the front of the aircraft on a heavy you're really not very likely to encounter repeated situations that will make you sick. Maybe on rescue 130s or gunships doing low-levels and/or combat maneuvering. I can't speak to helos, though. If it's anything like being in a small airplane, that can get pretty bumpy. . . just my two cents.

imported_llkeithll
03-25-2009, 01:27 AM
110 Slots just dropped for the 2010

c5engineer
03-25-2009, 01:44 AM
Motion sickness is different for everyone. Enough people have experienced it that they have a significant portion of med regs devoted to it's assessment/treatment/disqualification. I've got almost 5k in the -5 over 13 active years of flying and have flown around Typhoons, storms and above the desert floor during summer afternoon locals. It doesn't matter that your up front. If your prone to puke it will happen no matter where you are. I only got sick on locals and I was sitting in the observer's seat between the pilots. Had a great view of the horizon, was eating sour apple Jolly Ranchers, had air blowing on me and didn't look down at the instruments even though I was backing the pilots up on the approach. Luckily I just walked my vomit back to the aft flight deck and was able to hurl it all in the can. If you get sick during training more than once, it's likely your FTU instructor and Chief Engineer of the FTU will recommend you be evaluated. There are coping mechanisms, but in my case none of them worked. As for A/R's, I don't envy any non-cockpit personnel. I once set in the troop compartment on our third A/R of the day going to Somalia. I thought I'd be cool sitting back with my load buddy. She was on O2 and I said I wouldn't bottle up because I was fine. Five minutes into the A/R the first marine in the back puked and a wave of vomit ensued the likes of which I've never seen. Needless to say I went on O2, prayed and when we disconnected hightailed it back to the cockpit and had lunch:) BTW your physical is fine while your processing for training, but several of you hold the belief that your physical is good for three years. Each completed physical has one important document that makes it legal in the aviation world: a 1042. That expires every year on the last day of your birth month (soon to change which will screw everybody up). When you go to training, if your not PCS'd where your training (e.g. McGuire) they might kick you back to your home base for a physical because you won't fly with an expired one.

imported_llkeithll
03-25-2009, 02:34 AM
Motion sickness is different for everyone. Enough people have experienced it that they have a significant portion of med regs devoted to it's assessment/treatment/disqualification. I've got almost 5k in the -5 over 13 active years of flying and have flown around Typhoons, storms and above the desert floor during summer afternoon locals. It doesn't matter that your up front. If your prone to puke it will happen no matter where you are. I only got sick on locals and I was sitting in the observer's seat between the pilots. Had a great view of the horizon, was eating sour apple Jolly Ranchers, had air blowing on me and didn't look down at the instruments even though I was backing the pilots up on the approach. Luckily I just walked my vomit back to the aft flight deck and was able to hurl it all in the can. If you get sick during training more than once, it's likely your FTU instructor and Chief Engineer of the FTU will recommend you be evaluated. There are coping mechanisms, but in my case none of them worked. As for A/R's, I don't envy any non-cockpit personnel. I once set in the troop compartment on our third A/R of the day going to Somalia. I thought I'd be cool sitting back with my load buddy. She was on O2 and I said I wouldn't bottle up because I was fine. Five minutes into the A/R the first marine in the back puked and a wave of vomit ensued the likes of which I've never seen. Needless to say I went on O2, prayed and when we disconnected hightailed it back to the cockpit and had lunch:) BTW your physical is fine while your processing for training, but several of you hold the belief that your physical is good for three years. Each completed physical has one important document that makes it legal in the aviation world: a 1042. That expires every year on the last day of your birth month (soon to change which will screw everybody up). When you go to training, if your not PCS'd where your training (e.g. McGuire) they might kick you back to your home base for a physical because you won't fly with an expired one.

Couple of questions.
What is a local?
What is A/R?
When do you receive O2?
If I have flown many times and never have been airsick is that a good sign?

c5engineer
03-25-2009, 04:26 AM
Couple of questions.
What is a local?
What is A/R?
When do you receive O2?
If I have flown many times and never have been airsick is that a good sign?

A local is a training flight where you fly various approaches to landing and practice go arounds as if something prevented you from landing (e.g. engine failure at critical time in the approach, birds, another aircraft on the runway). It could be really local like your home airport or you could fly an hour away. When I was at Kelly (screw Lackland) we would fly over at Roswell N.M. or Abilene, sometimes Oklahoma. If your air refueling for training (A/R) you go to where the tracks are located. There are A/R tracks located all over the US. Ask Baze, he flies them for a living. If that's the case you fly to whatever track is common to you and the unit refueling you and you run the race track for 30-45 minutes behind a tanker. It's pretty awesome when it's operational for all the marbles, but pretty vanilla when your training.

There are a lot of times when you go on oxygen that are not deemed emergencies. Someone lets one rip on the flight deck or a really bad odor like the smell of vomit. So when I was sitting in the back during the A/R and literally40-50 marines began to hurl I too put on oxygen so all I could smell was the air and rubber of the mask. It also helps when your getting airsick provided you start at the first sign.

As for flying many times without airsickness, how many were bumpy? I mean constant bumpy. In the summer time I don't care what frame you fly, touch and go training means you never get more than 2500 feet AGL because your always in the pattern or shooting approaches where you are below the step down. The ground is nice and heated and convective currents are pushing you around big time. I would only get sick when we had a pilot who was yankin' and bankin' like he was a fighter jock. If you have an airline guy up front it's worse because they forget how to fly their second frame (only applies to ANG and reserves).

I wouldn't worry too much about airsickness unless you get carsick or motion sickness of any kind with any frequency. I'm now in the TAC world and 130's bounce all over the place especially when they have missile lock and ground fire. Of course at that point you just puke in your mask and hope for the best.

Bottom line: Enjoy what your about to undertake and if you get more than a couple bouts of airsickness go see the flight doc immediately and get help. Good luck.

BTW Baze if your watching, how many hours will you have at upgrade? Have you been on any Outside CONUS cross countries or desert runs yet? Are you scheduled for a checkride yet?

imported_TJC78
03-25-2009, 01:25 PM
Are you from Race850.com, if so than yes I was talking about you. And no I have water survival last.

Anyway, they are telling Me I can drive there (Lackland), but Not drive back here and Fly out. They said I dont have enough days between Grad BFE and Sere (In which I have 7, which is obviously more than I need. Drive back the next day after BFE grad and Fly out a day or so Later).

Nah, that's not me. Holy crap there's a lot of guys from Hurlburt that are going into FE retraining.

TheDude
03-25-2009, 05:13 PM
Couple questions for y'all. First, on my training rip, it says "REPORTING INSTRUCTIONS: see ETCA". Where exactly do I go for that? Also, I heard from someone in my shop that my LOSING unit is supposed to issue all my stuff for tech school- is this true? If so, where do I need to go to get documentation to show my orderly room?- y'all know how it is...

imported_SUPERSTAR
03-25-2009, 05:57 PM
Couple questions for y'all. First, on my training rip, it says "REPORTING INSTRUCTIONS: see ETCA". Where exactly do I go for that? Also, I heard from someone in my shop that my LOSING unit is supposed to issue all my stuff for tech school- is this true? If so, where do I need to go to get documentation to show my orderly room?- y'all know how it is...

https://etca.Randolph.af.mil/

Use above website for reporting instructions on gov computer. Sometimes it says network is down try back later. Use course code off of rip and read through it thoroughly. I'm not going until September so I put it on the back burner.

Yes your losing unit does pay for the list of stuff. Once you find out aircraft you can get list of equipment needed off course syllabus on the etca. Plus whatever is needed for SERE.

Good luck! Wish I was leaving sooner.

dg777
03-25-2009, 09:50 PM
I have fundies in Jul and BFE in Aug but those are the only two courses i have loaded. AFPC told me i will get the other two once i get to fundies????Is the the same for anyone else???

TheDude
03-25-2009, 11:20 PM
I have fundies in Jul and BFE in Aug but those are the only two courses i have loaded. AFPC told me i will get the other two once i get to fundies????Is the the same for anyone else???

Yeah, I'm in the same boat as you... I don't think they'll wait til fundies to give us a SERE class date though. Is your fundies class 24 July?

imported_SUPERSTAR
03-26-2009, 12:21 AM
Since December 8th 2008, I have had only Fundies loaded onto Vmpf for September 11th 2009. No BFE class loaded yet.......

dg777
03-26-2009, 01:02 AM
I go 14 July.

B52C/C87
03-26-2009, 07:14 AM
The AF wins again. Trying to get my retainability and I am a 6 year guy. My 4 year mark will be July 18th this year so I still have 2 years and 4 months on my enlistment. They wont let me reinlist b/c I cant have more than 6 years commitment at any given time. So no bonus for me. I think they plan these things out. I have seen/heard where alot of people get screwed out of thier bonuses. Whatever though I am not going to give up the opportunity to go FE and maybe get out of Minot.... which isnt a bad place just want some change.

TheDude
03-26-2009, 04:39 PM
The AF wins again. Trying to get my retainability and I am a 6 year guy. My 4 year mark will be July 18th this year so I still have 2 years and 4 months on my enlistment. They wont let me reinlist b/c I cant have more than 6 years commitment at any given time. So no bonus for me. I think they plan these things out. I have seen/heard where alot of people get screwed out of thier bonuses. Whatever though I am not going to give up the opportunity to go FE and maybe get out of Minot.... which isnt a bad place just want some change.

Did you already get approved for retraining? Yeah, you will pretty much be screwed out of the bonus- you should'nt have to reenlist though- you can extend up to 23 months as a FTA to get that 36 months of retainability. I would talk to reenlistments and see what the LEAST amount of time you can extend for. If you can get an extension just to get a little bit over that 36 months (CYA!)... I would do that. See if you can reenlist when you get done at Lackland (ETCA & BFE- I think you get your 3-level after those courses.) Then see if you can't cancel your extension and reenlist under FE. You might be able to...you might not. Ask somebody at reenlistments or look in the reg... you never know what kind of answers you will find.

imported_SUPERSTAR
03-27-2009, 01:00 AM
I am 21 days short of my 4 year retainability to take this job. Can't reenlist or extend to get exactly 4 yrs, so hopefully they won't ding me for this.

Kegler
03-27-2009, 01:49 AM
Did you already get approved for retraining? Yeah, you will pretty much be screwed out of the bonus- you should'nt have to reenlist though- you can extend up to 23 months as a FTA to get that 36 months of retainability. I would talk to reenlistments and see what the LEAST amount of time you can extend for. If you can get an extension just to get a little bit over that 36 months (CYA!)... I would do that. See if you can reenlist when you get done at Lackland (ETCA & BFE- I think you get your 3-level after those courses.) Then see if you can't cancel your extension and reenlist under FE. You might be able to...you might not. Ask somebody at reenlistments or look in the reg... you never know what kind of answers you will find.

The problem with what you said is that if you extend due to an ADSC (Active Duty Service commitment) ie PCS, school etc...it is considered obligated service therefore is subtracted off of your next reenlistment. The Extension does not cancel. For example...if you extend 24 months for school. You reenlist the day prior to entering this extension for 4 years. You only get 2 years SRB because you HAD to extend to take the school (ie the AF already had you so not gonna pay). Catch 22. Go through this all the time with our retrainees trying to explain it to them WHY. You may not think it is right....but it is the way the bonus bounces!

B52C/C87
03-27-2009, 05:50 AM

Yes I already have a class date of July 24th. I talked to formal training today and they told me that I just need to have enough time left to get me through training that I dont have to get my four years of retainability just yet. So since I have 2 years and some change left that will get me through school and I can reenlist in July and still get my bonus. Does this sound right? Trainign swore up and down she was right and that my class date wouldnt get cancelled.

Gunner7
03-27-2009, 10:45 AM
Yes I already have a class date of July 24th. I talked to formal training today and they told me that I just need to have enough time left to get me through training that I dont have to get my four years of retainability just yet. So since I have 2 years and some change left that will get me through school and I can reenlist in July and still get my bonus. Does this sound right? Trainign swore up and down she was right and that my class date wouldnt get cancelled.

Not really. You will be contacted by the SNCO who loads the class seats and he will be aware of your retainability. If you do not have 36 mos of retainability after graduation from the course of initial entry you may hit a roadblock. The point is not to screw you out of any bonus but to guarantee payback for the $200K+ in training AF will invest. If a FTA is lucky enough to retrain early and have the retainability with an extension to enter training he/she can cancel the extension within 30 days of graduation of the 3 skill level awarding school. It is important to know you can only cancel the extension if you have not entered it. BTW the SRB is not used as an incentive to bring new folks into a career field but to retain trained folks in that career field.

Damastas
03-27-2009, 09:11 PM
I'm currently in the process of putting my application together, but am slightly confused as to a few things that need to be attached. So far I think I am on track and have it all figured out, but clarity and reassurance would give me much needed peace of mind.

As far as documents that need to be attached through "My Stuff" before I hit submit on my application, I have:

-Signed volunteer for flight duty letter
-For feeder AFSC waiver: my last 3 EPR's, along with a memo that I wrote requesting a feeder AFSC waiver. (This memo is not signed or endorsed by anyone, it's simply me giving a brief statement about what I have done so far, and requesting a waiver for the feeder AFSC requirement. Does it need to be signed by someone or approved, or is it ok as is? I have heard both)

Random documents I have that may not necessarily be attached, not sure what to do with them:
-Letter from the optometry clinic saying that I passed a depth perception test. Does this need to be attached, or will it be annotated in my 1042? I barely passed the depth perception test, will I have to do it again during the flight physical?
-X-factor test from the HAWC saying I could lift 70 lbs
-An unsigned form that was included in "My Stuff" that is from AFPC to the MDG requesting that a flight surgeon sign off that I am cleared for aviation duty
-A checklist which annotated the requirements for the x-factor, that I needed a depth perception test, class III physical, and the aviation duty requirement.

I have my initial flight physical scheduled for next week, and I deploy in two weeks. Is this going to end up screwing me over? My flight commander pulled some strings for me to get the physical in that early, and it will be the whole eyes/ears/x-rays/bloodwork, a day long process.. is there any more to it than that? Will I get a 1042 immediately from him, or do I have to wait months for AFPC to get back to them/me?

I think what confuses me most is just the overlapping of documents. The email I received from AFPC also mentioned needing to attach me 402, and then the checklist said that I needed the depth perception, x-factor, and flight physical annotated on the 402. But by default, if I was to pass the flight physical, then it would mean that I did indeed have depth perception, does it not?

tl;dr version: What were all of the files you had attached to your application when you submitted it?

TheDude
03-28-2009, 11:19 PM
I'm currently in the process of putting my application together, but am slightly confused as to a few things that need to be attached. So far I think I am on track and have it all figured out, but clarity and reassurance would give me much needed peace of mind.

As far as documents that need to be attached through "My Stuff" before I hit submit on my application, I have:

-Signed volunteer for flight duty letter
-For feeder AFSC waiver: my last 3 EPR's, along with a memo that I wrote requesting a feeder AFSC waiver. (This memo is not signed or endorsed by anyone, it's simply me giving a brief statement about what I have done so far, and requesting a waiver for the feeder AFSC requirement. Does it need to be signed by someone or approved, or is it ok as is? I have heard both)

Random documents I have that may not necessarily be attached, not sure what to do with them:
-Letter from the optometry clinic saying that I passed a depth perception test. Does this need to be attached, or will it be annotated in my 1042? I barely passed the depth perception test, will I have to do it again during the flight physical?
-X-factor test from the HAWC saying I could lift 70 lbs
-An unsigned form that was included in "My Stuff" that is from AFPC to the MDG requesting that a flight surgeon sign off that I am cleared for aviation duty
-A checklist which annotated the requirements for the x-factor, that I needed a depth perception test, class III physical, and the aviation duty requirement.

I have my initial flight physical scheduled for next week, and I deploy in two weeks. Is this going to end up screwing me over? My flight commander pulled some strings for me to get the physical in that early, and it will be the whole eyes/ears/x-rays/bloodwork, a day long process.. is there any more to it than that? Will I get a 1042 immediately from him, or do I have to wait months for AFPC to get back to them/me?

I think what confuses me most is just the overlapping of documents. The email I received from AFPC also mentioned needing to attach me 402, and then the checklist said that I needed the depth perception, x-factor, and flight physical annotated on the 402. But by default, if I was to pass the flight physical, then it would mean that I did indeed have depth perception, does it not?

tl;dr version: What were all of the files you had attached to your application when you submitted it?

Ok, since you are not in a feeder AFSC, you will need to type a short, but sweet MFR titled "Waiver Request" - get your CC to sign it and scan that into the computer.

As far as the depth perception thing goes, you get that done during actual flight physical, so I wouldn't worry to much about that- It will be included in your 1042.

The Form 422 includes your X-Factor, go to the HAWC ASAP and tell them you need to get your x-factor, they will give you back a form when you are done stating how much you lifted and all that good stuff- take that form to the hospital (I'm not sure which clinic does it, try flight medicine) and tell them you need a 422 for retraining ( If I were you, I would find someone like a TSGT or MSGT and tell them you need it back ASAP, or you might be waiting a while to get that back.)

The aviation medical clearance form that you give the flight surgeon won't be signed until your flight physical is completley done and you get pick up your 1042 from the hospital- this could take about 2-3 weeks, just make sure you get them to sign it then.

What base are you deploying to? Depending on what base you're deploying to, it might be better to just get your flight physical done over there... either way, stay on top of your game, the only person that cares if you retrain is you... as sad as that may sound. If you have anymore questions let us know...

Fenix1442
03-29-2009, 04:26 AM
Just wondering if anyone is going to HH-60 IQT that starts April 21 2009. That is my final class before I PCS to Moody AFB. How big are IQT classes? They about the same size as the BFE or smaller? I have been running and hitting the weights but is there any recommended work outs with cardio and strength that I should try since I have heard HH-60 IQT is physically demanding. Also I am not going to be able to get some gear on my clothing list since my base doesn't have them and it takes forever to get them. Am I able to get it there at IQT?

Good luck to those who are starting Fundies, BFE, and SERE.

Just reply or send me a message.

Damastas
03-29-2009, 04:54 PM
Ok, since you are not in a feeder AFSC, you will need to type a short, but sweet MFR titled "Waiver Request" - get your CC to sign it and scan that into the computer.

As far as the depth perception thing goes, you get that done during actual flight physical, so I wouldn't worry to much about that- It will be included in your 1042.

The Form 422 includes your X-Factor, go to the HAWC ASAP and tell them you need to get your x-factor, they will give you back a form when you are done stating how much you lifted and all that good stuff- take that form to the hospital (I'm not sure which clinic does it, try flight medicine) and tell them you need a 422 for retraining ( If I were you, I would find someone like a TSGT or MSGT and tell them you need it back ASAP, or you might be waiting a while to get that back.)

The aviation medical clearance form that you give the flight surgeon won't be signed until your flight physical is completley done and you get pick up your 1042 from the hospital- this could take about 2-3 weeks, just make sure you get them to sign it then.

What base are you deploying to? Depending on what base you're deploying to, it might be better to just get your flight physical done over there... either way, stay on top of your game, the only person that cares if you retrain is you... as sad as that may sound. If you have anymore questions let us know...

Somebody else mentioned it to me that I could try getting one while I am deployed. I am going to Al Udeid, which is flyer central, but I was kind of doubtful that they had some of the more expensive equipment there like chest x-ray machines, all the eye equipment, etc.

I have a lot of people helping me and pulling strings for me due to being in the middle of this and then told two weeks prior that I was deploying in someone elses spot. I don't have my feeder AFSC waiver signed by the commander, but I should be able to ask my shirt to walk my right in and have it signed. What does the CC signature block need to say? Just a concur/noncur with above request?

I have my x-factor form from the HAWC already. The general medicine clinic on my base does 422's, and like you said, I'll just try to explain my situation to get the 422 back immediately. This whole process, especially being rushed, has actually gave me great incite into getting things done in the air force. It truly is about who you know, your attitude, and who you talk to, but things that take weeks can really be done almost instantly.

It sounds like I am almost done putting my application together then. I should be able to get the 422 back before I leave, as well as the feeder waiver, which leaves only waiting on the letter from the flight surgeon and the 1042. I haven't spoke to the flight doc yet, but I am going to ask if when it is complete he could either fax it to my office, email a digital copy to me, or if my supervisor could come pick it up - are any of the options viable? Chances are I won't be here still when it is complete so I'll need someone else to get the form to me digitally.

Also, something of a bit more personal matter; it was a bad decision on my part, and a bit of a wrong place, wrong time situation, but I ended up getting an article 15 a few years back for an alcohol related incident. The EPR following that was a 4 and forced referral due to having to be marked in one of the blocks; none of my chain of command agreed with it, and they tried to fight it hard, but in the end couldn't. Aside from that bullet though, the rest of my EPR was kind of written to show that it didn't matter, and didn't effect my attitude at all. All my EPR's since have been firewall 5's and I have always been a good airmen, well exceeding expectations and doing my job well, being involved, etc. My supervisor emailed the In-service enlisted flying recruiter to put in a good word for me, and if needed all of my leadership would vouch for me.

Anyway, it wouldn't surprise me if this got my application declined, but realistically what would my chances of that happening be? I read through the AFI and it at least seems like the selection board/criteria do stack and rank you based on other applications, but even if I am dead last, if there are more billets than people applying I should still be able to get a slot, as far as I can tell. There is nothing making me ineligible to apply, and there is nothing that really mentions I'll automatically be disqualified. I guess I'm just looking for a little assurance from someone else who may not have had the most pristine record, or knew someone else who did not. Thanks again for your replies.

TheDude
03-29-2009, 05:25 PM
Somebody else mentioned it to me that I could try getting one while I am deployed. I am going to Al Udeid, which is flyer central, but I was kind of doubtful that they had some of the more expensive equipment there like chest x-ray machines, all the eye equipment, etc.

I have a lot of people helping me and pulling strings for me due to being in the middle of this and then told two weeks prior that I was deploying in someone elses spot. I don't have my feeder AFSC waiver signed by the commander, but I should be able to ask my shirt to walk my right in and have it signed. What does the CC signature block need to say? Just a concur/noncur with above request?

I have my x-factor form from the HAWC already. The general medicine clinic on my base does 422's, and like you said, I'll just try to explain my situation to get the 422 back immediately. This whole process, especially being rushed, has actually gave me great incite into getting things done in the air force. It truly is about who you know, your attitude, and who you talk to, but things that take weeks can really be done almost instantly.

It sounds like I am almost done putting my application together then. I should be able to get the 422 back before I leave, as well as the feeder waiver, which leaves only waiting on the letter from the flight surgeon and the 1042. I haven't spoke to the flight doc yet, but I am going to ask if when it is complete he could either fax it to my office, email a digital copy to me, or if my supervisor could come pick it up - are any of the options viable? Chances are I won't be here still when it is complete so I'll need someone else to get the form to me digitally.

Also, something of a bit more personal matter; it was a bad decision on my part, and a bit of a wrong place, wrong time situation, but I ended up getting an article 15 a few years back for an alcohol related incident. The EPR following that was a 4 and forced referral due to having to be marked in one of the blocks; none of my chain of command agreed with it, and they tried to fight it hard, but in the end couldn't. Aside from that bullet though, the rest of my EPR was kind of written to show that it didn't matter, and didn't effect my attitude at all. All my EPR's since have been firewall 5's and I have always been a good airmen, well exceeding expectations and doing my job well, being involved, etc. My supervisor emailed the In-service enlisted flying recruiter to put in a good word for me, and if needed all of my leadership would vouch for me.

Anyway, it wouldn't surprise me if this got my application declined, but realistically what would my chances of that happening be? I read through the AFI and it at least seems like the selection board/criteria do stack and rank you based on other applications, but even if I am dead last, if there are more billets than people applying I should still be able to get a slot, as far as I can tell. There is nothing making me ineligible to apply, and there is nothing that really mentions I'll automatically be disqualified. I guess I'm just looking for a little assurance from someone else who may not have had the most pristine record, or knew someone else who did not. Thanks again for your replies.

All you have to do for the Waiver Request is to type it up in a MFR format. 3 paragraphs: State how your not in a feeder AFSC and need a waiver to retrain into Flight Engineer, ( I put something in there saying how I was highly motivated to retrain into Flight Engineer.) Just real short and sweet. Ask your supervisor for some help on it.... I'll see if I don't still have it on my computer- it sucks cause we can't use thumb drives anymore so it's hard to keep track of things.

Your best bet would probably be to get your supervisor to pick up your 1042 for you, scan it, and then e-mail it to you. However, you're prolly gonna have to go to the hospital and give them some sort of written consent saying he can pick up your 1042- because of HIPAA. Ask them and see what you need to do.

As far as your EPR is concerned, I wouldn't worry about it dude. A "4" in the grand scheme of things is actually the norm on an EPR (or should be), with a "5" being above the norm. I don't think they're gonna turn your application down because of that- especially if you have your CC cosigning you, saying that he approves you for retraining... I think you're good to go.

BigBaze
03-30-2009, 09:48 PM
Checkride this Friday night:)! Can't wait! The squadron already has me scheduled for two overseas missions this month as well as possible Red Flag Alaska. The desert is set for July! Can't believe it all went this fast, but I'm gonna be busy on the KC10. I have my practice checkride tomorrow night with the flight chief. Good luck to you guys who are getting accepted and getting class dates!

Kegler
03-31-2009, 01:29 AM
Checkride this Friday night:)! Can't wait! The squadron already has me scheduled for two overseas missions this month as well as possible Red Flag Alaska. The desert is set for July! Can't believe it all went this fast, but I'm gonna be busy on the KC10. I have my practice checkride tomorrow night with the flight chief. Good luck to you guys who are getting accepted and getting class dates!

Baze...GOOD LUCK! Next....for your virgin check make sure you get the evaluator the good stuff for after the flight...nothing worse than Busch or Keystone! LOL. You may laugh at this...but it has been done many times.

BigBaze
03-31-2009, 02:53 AM
Baze...GOOD LUCK! Next....for your virgin check make sure you get the evaluator the good stuff for after the flight...nothing worse than Busch or Keystone! LOL. You may laugh at this...but it has been done many times.

Oh I have scouted that out, he just come back from an airshow in Florida and made it well known he drinks the Jimmy Beam! I am ready to go, can't wait, you guys will be where I am before you know it! Thanks for the best wishes.

Kegler
03-31-2009, 03:03 AM
Oh I have scouted that out, he just come back from an airshow in Florida and made it well known he drinks the Jimmy Beam! I am ready to go, can't wait, you guys will be where I am before you know it! Thanks for the best wishes.

LOL...good...and only speaking for me....you will be where I am at before you know it. A few humpteen thousand fricken hours...many checkrides and lotsa fun!

kenton
03-31-2009, 05:34 PM
For all of those trying to retrain from a non feeder AFSC... AFPC has just added your records review from vMPF to the list. I tried to crosstrain in FY09 and they didnt have that requirement. It takes 5 seconds to print and scan, but according to vMPF your package isnt complete until its in there. And in case anyone was wondering... I used a Class III from November, and a 422 from roughly the same time... no problems yet.... only time will tell.

imported_CV22chief
04-01-2009, 02:52 AM
I have a quick question. I was browsing thru ETCA today and saw an FE course for Gulfstream aircraft at andrews. Does anyone know some one who has got that airframe out of BFE? It doesnt mention any prerequisites or anything, but i havent heard any one mention the airframe on here. I think it would be a cool airframe to be on if they are still taking FE's. any one have any info on this?

BigBaze
04-01-2009, 11:50 AM
I have a quick question. I was browsing thru ETCA today and saw an FE course for Gulfstream aircraft at andrews. Does anyone know some one who has got that airframe out of BFE? It doesnt mention any prerequisites or anything, but i havent heard any one mention the airframe on here. I think it would be a cool airframe to be on if they are still taking FE's. any one have any info on this?

No it is a special duty, I believe you have to have X amount of hours on another airframe first, much like the AC130 etc. From what I hear they send you to A & P school for that jet, someone can correct me if I am wrong. But when I went through BFE you couldn't get it straight out of the school.

BigBaze
04-01-2009, 11:52 AM
LOL...good...and only speaking for me....you will be where I am at before you know it. A few humpteen thousand fricken hours...many checkrides and lotsa fun!

well it is getting pushed back to next week, we lost the #1 engine on takeoff last night on my rec ride:)

c5engineer
04-01-2009, 06:09 PM
Better on your recommend ride than your checkride! Of course, if you handled that nicely your next recommend ride could go much smoother and your checkride as well. Good luck, but from everything so far you sound more than ready. Usually there would have been a stumbling block before this.

BigBaze
04-01-2009, 09:04 PM
Better on your recommend ride than your checkride! Of course, if you handled that nicely your next recommend ride could go much smoother and your checkride as well. Good luck, but from everything so far you sound more than ready. Usually there would have been a stumbling block before this.

Thanks man! I now rec ride on Friday night and checkride Wednesday morning, I would prefer a night flight for my check ride but it's all good, I can't wait to check, my buddy did his today and did outstanding per the evaluator, so the bar is set high! I just gotta read my checklists perfect, do my preflight and TOLD right and not do anything stupid.

dub13
04-02-2009, 01:21 AM
Thanks man! I now rec ride on Friday night and checkride Wednesday morning, I would prefer a night flight for my check ride but it's all good, I can't wait to check, my buddy did his today and did outstanding per the evaluator, so the bar is set high! I just gotta read my checklists perfect, do my preflight and TOLD right and not do anything stupid.

hey man how many flights do you have before you check? You in IQT or MQT? I had my rec ride Monday and now my check on Friday. Finally almost there. I'm pretty stoked

BigBaze
04-02-2009, 01:31 AM
hey man how many flights do you have before you check? You in IQT or MQT? I had my rec ride Monday and now my check on Friday. Finally almost there. I'm pretty stoked

I am in FTU, Phase 1, I got about 15 flights with a rec ride and a check ride coming up, I then go to Phase IIA which is one cargo mission and one fighter drag, then on to Phase IIB which is 150 hours of flying by myself and trips with instructors after which I become mission qual!

TheDude
04-03-2009, 05:43 PM
How long is it taking y'all to get your SERE class dates loaded?

imported_llkeithll
04-04-2009, 06:58 PM
How long does it usually take AFTER your flight physical for them to get back to you to submit your package? When should I start bothering people?

BigBaze
04-04-2009, 07:24 PM
How long does it usually take AFTER your flight physical for them to get back to you to submit your package? When should I start bothering people?

after my base flight doc did my flight physical it was sent up to AFMC for final approval and that took 2 weeks.

BigBaze
04-04-2009, 07:27 PM
whattup all, passed my recommend flight yesterday, 8 hours of hell:)! Got my checkride Wednesday, they already have me slotted to go to the desert in July:)

c5engineer
04-04-2009, 11:16 PM
Well Baze your odyssey is almost over. Getting a recommend is a good deal especially from the Chief engineer. Conduct your checkride the same way and your done with a little time for seasoning mixed in. In the 5 world a recommend and checkride takes a several day trip. I'm looking to the 130 when I can get it all done in a day!!!! As it should be. My initial checkride was a Pacific trip for nine days with the chief of stan/eval. He gave me another week long checkride when he recommended me for instructor. For you the desert should be just like every other day since your a high flying orbit tracker (nothin' wrong with that).

With the way active duty is going you'll probably be upgraded to instructor within a year or two. I went to SERE last and met this guy who was just entering the field as a 5 engineer who hadn't been to BFE yet. Two years later with 1500 under my belt I'm off to instructor school and there he is with just over 500 hours and six months as an MF.

It's all good!! Good luck and just keep doing what you've been doing!

imported_tmckinley
04-04-2009, 11:42 PM
whattup all, passed my recommend flight yesterday, 8 hours of hell:)! Got my checkride Wednesday, they already have me slotted to go to the desert in July:)

Congrats. I cant wait...30 days till I leave for Fundies and BFE.

kenton
04-05-2009, 06:43 PM
after my base flight doc did my flight physical it was sent up to AFMC for final approval and that took 2 weeks.

Yeah.... mine took a month total.... probally around 2 or three weeks once your flight doc signs it. It wont hurt to call Force Health Med and ask them where it is in the process and how long its been at that particular step.

imported_perfectfotow
04-07-2009, 05:21 AM
Some good info on what we will learn in BFE. I found this on another forum.
http://www.c141heaven.us/handbook/afm51-9.pdf

brentusaf
04-07-2009, 01:52 PM
Question for anyone who's been to SERE. I got the list of equipment needed for SERE and I'm wondering who pays for it or issues it? Does my squadron RA have anything to do with this? Also is there anything I definately need thats not on the list? The list says BDU or flight suit....is ABU's authorized?

Spunjah413
04-07-2009, 02:16 PM
Whats the Link for the equipment for sere?

brentusaf
04-07-2009, 03:16 PM
https://www.my.af.mil/gcss-af/afp40/USAF/ep/contentView.do?contentType=EDITORIAL&contentId=1120828&programId=1121020&channelPageId=-1618289

Spunjah413
04-07-2009, 03:36 PM
Well I just talked to my RA and he said he would take care of it.

brentusaf
04-07-2009, 03:49 PM
Also at what point do you get flightsuits issued? Before you leave for training or later when you get to your first assignment?

imported_tmckinley
04-07-2009, 06:46 PM
Also at what point do you get flightsuits issued? Before you leave for training or later when you get to your first assignment?

If I am not mistaken, and Im sure someone will correct me if I am wrong, but you should get you flight gear issued to you before you go to your aircraft specific class.

BigBaze
04-07-2009, 08:00 PM

Your losing unit is responsible for all gear issued before you leave. check on the etca website and pull up each aircraft specific school and there should be a list of required gear. There are a lot of people showing up to McGuire to our unit and we are out of $$ like everyone else and they are having to wear ABU's till there stuff comes in. At least get your flightsuits, jackets and boots before you leave, that's half the battle

Spunjah413
04-07-2009, 08:13 PM
Curious for Sere. I dont have any BDU's and im sure that the ABU's will get ruined. I will be issued 2 Flight suits befor hand, but Im sure its not a good idea to wear those either. Is it a bad idea to wear the Flight suit? Its def going to be cheaper to replace that than a set of ABU's.

BigBaze
04-07-2009, 09:29 PM
Curious for Sere. I dont have any BDU's and im sure that the ABU's will get ruined. I will be issued 2 Flight suits befor hand, but Im sure its not a good idea to wear those either. Is it a bad idea to wear the Flight suit? Its def going to be cheaper to replace that than a set of ABU's.

Wear your ABU's:)

Kegler
04-07-2009, 09:31 PM

I would suggest going to the Thrift Store and buying a couple of BDU sets (as long as they are decent) for a couple of bucks if they have your size....just to wear for the field portion. Now that would be the cheapest option.:D

BigBaze
04-07-2009, 09:34 PM
I would suggest going to the Thrift Store and buying a couple of BDU sets (as long as they are decent) for a couple of bucks if they have your size....just to wear for the field portion. Now that would be the cheapest option.:D

wear a pair of old BDU's with just rank or without any tags anything for the field. I threw mine away when I was done:)

brentusaf
04-07-2009, 10:15 PM
wear a pair of old BDU's with just rank or without any tags anything for the field. I threw mine away when I was done:)

how messed up would my abu's get? Are they so destroyed once you leave the field that they arn't worth salvaging?

brentusaf
04-07-2009, 10:16 PM

I didn't see a pack of any kind on the equipment list, so how do you tote all that crap around when in the field?

Kegler
04-07-2009, 10:20 PM
I didn't see a pack of any kind on the equipment list, so how do you tote all that crap around when in the field?

My BDUs found the trash too....just nasty. As for Toting it all around. 18 years ago....we made a pack...its called survival for a reason. You dont have a list of "stuff" when you find yourself in that situation.:o

BigBaze
04-07-2009, 11:41 PM

They issue you a pack and a ton of other stuff up there, they will give you everything you need for the field and you can add stuff to it if you can fit it except food and other contraband, they have a small shoppette by the dorms

brentusaf
04-08-2009, 12:15 AM
They issue you a pack and a ton of other stuff up there, they will give you everything you need for the field and you can add stuff to it if you can fit it except food and other contraband, they have a small shoppette by the dorms

Cool thanks for all the help. Looks like I'm good to go other than the OTHER medical documents needed for SERE. How many pieces of paper do I need to say my health is good. Funny thing is you can't complete the health screening no more than 6 weeks out however I leave for Lackland in 2 1/2 weeks and SERE in beginning of August which makes it almost impossible.

c5engineer
04-08-2009, 02:35 AM
Ah, yes making your own pack to carry you stuff in. Now they issue that stuff to you. When I went through in 93 they wouldn't let us bring any specialty gear into the field even though it was stuff issued by our life support shop. I always carry a spare knife sharpener after that ridiculous sharpening stone.

kenton
04-08-2009, 05:33 PM
Just a quick question for those who have recently been accepted to retrain. How long did your package take once your commander endorses it to get through the CFM review? And how many hurdles are left until the package can go in front of a board?

Fenix1442
04-08-2009, 07:38 PM
Anyone going through the HH-60 IQT starting April 21?

Feral01
04-08-2009, 10:17 PM
Cool thanks for all the help. Looks like I'm good to go other than the OTHER medical documents needed for SERE. How many pieces of paper do I need to say my health is good. Funny thing is you can't complete the health screening no more than 6 weeks out however I leave for Lackland in 2 1/2 weeks and SERE in beginning of August which makes it almost impossible.

I am in fundies right now. We have a TON of down time throughout the class so far. I have spoken to the instructors and they tell me that we will have plenty of time to get to the flight surgeon to get the medical forms required for SERE filled out while we are in our 3 level school. I don't think that we have had a full 8 hour day of instruction yet since I have been here. I am sure it varies with different instructors, but for my class we have had a lot of self study time during the day.

brentusaf
04-08-2009, 11:54 PM
I am in fundies right now. We have a TON of down time throughout the class so far. I have spoken to the instructors and they tell me that we will have plenty of time to get to the flight surgeon to get the medical forms required for SERE filled out while we are in our 3 level school. I don't think that we have had a full 8 hour day of instruction yet since I have been here. I am sure it varies with different instructors, but for my class we have had a lot of self study time during the day.

Cool thats what I wanted to hear. I called the SERE school and was told alot of people complete the SERE medical portion while at Lackland. Keep me posted on how the process works since I'll try it out myself.

imported_tmckinley
04-09-2009, 12:05 AM
Cool thats what I wanted to hear. I called the SERE school and was told alot of people complete the SERE medical portion while at Lackland. Keep me posted on how the process works since I'll try it out myself.

I am curious about this too. It will save me a lot of time if I can get this done down there.

BigBaze
04-09-2009, 11:40 AM
Q1!!! Passed my checkride yesterday. It didn't go as well as I wanted it to but I'll take it. 7 hours of hell:) Feels great, about one year ago I was driving to Lackland for BFE...

c5engineer
04-09-2009, 04:08 PM
Q1 is all that counts. If your form 8 doesn't reflect any so-so comments and says you did a good job your good to go. You'll have plenty of checkrides to do really well once you've seasoned and in no time you'll be an instructor. Congrats!!! So in the 10 world they give a 7 hour checkride and your done? I've often heard they operate like the airlines, which is exactly how my training went when I was an airline guy on 727's. Now for some seasoning and off to your desert commitment!!!

BigBaze
04-09-2009, 04:37 PM
Q1 is all that counts. If your form 8 doesn't reflect any so-so comments and says you did a good job your good to go. You'll have plenty of checkrides to do really well once you've seasoned and in no time you'll be an instructor. Congrats!!! So in the 10 world they give a 7 hour checkride and your done? I've often heard they operate like the airlines, which is exactly how my training went when I was an airline guy on 727's. Now for some seasoning and off to your desert commitment!!!

yeah they do most of the tanker and receiver action in the simulator so by the book all you need is one takeoff and one full stop landing. We can only practice EP's or abnormals in the sim so on your initial flying checkride they want to make sure you can preflight the aircraft properly, do your TOLD properly , run your checklists right and display good CRM. Most of the local missions are 5-7 hours, mainly going off in a formation departure with 2-4 KC10's doing tanker/receiver work. We also do receiver work on the KC135 whenever they are not cancelling. Probably the main thing we do in the air is backing up the pilots on everything, and moving the CG as far aft as possible for the best performance. My fave part is when we are offloading fuel because that's the engineer's job, the boom operator just slides the boom in! :)We had 3 hours of touch and goes scheduled yesterday but we lost our wing anti ice so 2 hrs got cut off mercifully. Just remember to buy your evaluator breakfast/lunch and a bottle of booze of their choice!

VidMXGuy
04-09-2009, 05:30 PM
Quick question... Does anybody know the reference where it says your Home Unit (Losing Unit) has to buy your equipment for SERE?

dub13
04-10-2009, 01:05 PM
Q1!!! Passed my checkride yesterday. It didn't go as well as I wanted it to but I'll take it. 7 hours of hell:) Feels great, about one year ago I was driving to Lackland for BFE...

Congrats man! I just Q-1'd my IQT check on Wednesday. Now I start MQT next week

brentusaf
04-10-2009, 01:20 PM
Quick question... Does anybody know the reference where it says your Home Unit (Losing Unit) has to buy your equipment for SERE?

FYI I found the reference where it says losing unit has to pay for your stuff and it is located here. Scroll to page 14 of the handbook and you will find it. https://www.my.af.mil/gcss-af/USAF/AFP40/d/1075401168/Files/editorial/S-V80-A%26B_Student_Handout_080328.pdf

VidMXGuy
04-10-2009, 04:29 PM
FYI I found the reference where it says losing unit has to pay for your stuff and it is located here. Scroll to page 14 of the handbook and you will find it. https://www.my.af.mil/gcss-af/USAF/AFP40/d/1075401168/Files/editorial/S-V80-A%26B_Student_Handout_080328.pdf

Awesome man! Thanks!

BigBaze
04-10-2009, 05:27 PM
Congrats man! I just Q-1'd my IQT check on Wednesday. Now I start MQT next week

Congrats Dub!

imported_SUPERSTAR
04-15-2009, 03:46 PM
Finally got my BFE dates! Had the Fundies date for 5 months now. Starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel! Anybody else in the same class?

Fundies 11 Sept - 30 Sept
BFE 1 Oct - 18 Nov

brentusaf
04-15-2009, 05:23 PM
Finally got my BFE dates! Had the Fundies date for 5 months now. Starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel! Anybody else in the same class?

Fundies 11 Sept - 30 Sept
BFE 1 Oct - 18 Nov

Sweet Man! You got a long wait time. Why so long? I leave in 2 weeks woohoo

imported_SUPERSTAR
04-15-2009, 06:11 PM
Not sure why so long. It could of been my SRB I guess. It looks like I will not get the SRB for flight engineer now. All I know is I got accepted December 8th with a class date of September 11th. I'm very happy but tired of waiting. Knocking out NCOA in June and July though. 1 less thing to worry about after I cross over!

BigBaze
04-16-2009, 12:53 PM
Anyone at Seymour-Johnson? I am going to be at an airshow there next weekend with the KC10

Spunjah413
04-16-2009, 01:30 PM
Sweet Man! You got a long wait time. Why so long? I leave in 2 weeks woohoo

I know I can't wait! Also did you book your billeting, or are you trying to stay at Kelly inn?

Im actually going to Disney world next week, so I get some time off befor school.

brentusaf
04-16-2009, 02:13 PM
I know I can't wait! Also did you book your billeting, or are you trying to stay at Kelly inn?

Im actually going to Disney world next week, so I get some time off befor school.

I think billeting should be booked already. I have to call and verify. I know when I went to 7 level school it was already booked.

brentusaf
04-16-2009, 02:26 PM
I just booked my reservation. So to answer my own question yes you do have to book your own reservation, it's not done for you already.

Spunjah413
04-16-2009, 02:52 PM
Which one did you book it at?

brentusaf
04-16-2009, 02:58 PM
Which one did you book it at?

Well I called AF INN at Lackland. You have to get a non availability letter to get put at Kelly Inn. Who knows though....when I show up they may not have anymore room. I would like some per diem though. 2 months could add up!

imported_tyler88s10
04-16-2009, 07:32 PM
Well I called AF INN at Lackland. You have to get a non availability letter to get put at Kelly Inn. Who knows though....when I show up they may not have anymore room. I would like some per diem though. 2 months could add up!

brent,

from what i have read on this forum and heard....you can call the Kelly Inn and reserve room reservations. The lady at the Kelly Inn said they give you a N/A Slip at the front desk so you can get paid the full 54 dollars a day perdiem. I called the actuall Kelly Inn instead of lackland inn and reserved the room. I def want that per diem. Other people have done it so im jumping on the band wagon. Kelly is about 10 min away from Medina so its not too bad. If i am misinformed, someone please jump on here and let me and brent know. Thanks

Spunjah413
04-16-2009, 07:42 PM
Alright I just called Kelly and made a reservation. The lady told me they will give you a slip saying there is no chow hall and whatnot. It also is technically "off-base" so she says. Hopefully everything works out and I make that money :).

imported_tmckinley
04-16-2009, 07:55 PM
Alright I just called Kelly and made a reservation. The lady told me they will give you a slip saying there is no chow hall and whatnot. It also is technically "off-base" so she says. Hopefully everything works out and I make that money :).

That is correct. The slip that they give you says there is no chow hall available on Kelly. Therefore when you do your voucher at the end of the trip they will pay you full rate per diem. I dont know if they will pay you full rate on accural vouchers, they should, but you never know with finance.

I called Lackland Inns and made my reservation for Kelly, they gave me the option of doing that, so I am happy 12/day vs 54/day.

Spunjah413
04-16-2009, 07:56 PM
Yeah 3g's sounds alot nicer than 750 bucks, lol.

brentusaf
04-16-2009, 10:23 PM

Well looks like Im canceling my reservation at Lackland HAHA. So let me get this right, do you call Kelly Field or Lackland to reserve a room at Kelly Inn?

brentusaf
04-16-2009, 10:25 PM

It will be alot more for me since I am driving from Va. I get paid per mile and made 1500 bucks when I went to Sheppard for 7 level school.

imported_tmckinley
04-16-2009, 11:33 PM
Well looks like Im canceling my reservation at Lackland HAHA. So let me get this right, do you call Kelly Field or Lackland to reserve a room at Kelly Inn?

I called Lackland and requested to be placed on Kelly.

brentusaf
04-16-2009, 11:35 PM
I called Lackland and requested to be placed on Kelly.

Got it. I just called and switched.

imported_fluke
04-17-2009, 01:12 PM
Anyone at Seymour-Johnson? I am going to be at an airshow there next weekend with the KC10

Hey BigBaze,

Are you going to be at the Langley Airshow in Virginia?

:)

BigBaze
04-17-2009, 02:39 PM
Hey BigBaze,

Are you going to be at the Langley Airshow in Virginia?

:)

No, we are only going to be at the Seymour one for a couple days then on to MacDill:)

imported_llkeithll
04-17-2009, 03:36 PM
It has been almost a month since my flight phsyical. I was wondering if there are any numbers I should be calling or people I should bothering.

brentusaf
04-17-2009, 03:40 PM
It has been almost a month since my flight phsyical. I was wondering if there are any numbers I should be calling or people I should bothering.

Call the med tech that initiated your IFC, he can look it up in the computer to see whats going on. Mine was done for a week when I called. People forget things sometimes.

imported_llkeithll
04-17-2009, 05:24 PM
Call the med tech that initiated your IFC, he can look it up in the computer to see whats going on. Mine was done for a week when I called. People forget things sometimes.

I called public health and they said that they still have not heard anything back. Supposedly they get all the stuff and send it some place and it gets kicked back to them and then I can submit my package.

Gunner7
04-17-2009, 05:39 PM
Med clinic will not ping the MAJCOM until 30 have passed since they sent it up.

brentusaf
04-17-2009, 06:09 PM
Mine was sent electronically through a program they use to the MAJCOM Surgeon generals office which is ACC and then they looked it over and stamp it then sent it back electronically. But like Gunner said wait 30 days before you ask.

brentusaf
04-17-2009, 06:10 PM
I called public health and they said that they still have not heard anything back. Supposedly they get all the stuff and send it some place and it gets kicked back to them and then I can submit my package.

By the way why is public health involved? It should've been Flight Medicine.

Gunner7
04-17-2009, 06:25 PM
By the way why is public health involved? It should've been Flight Medicine.

Public health will do the initial records review.

imported_llkeithll
04-17-2009, 07:03 PM
It has just now been thirty days.

Spunjah413
04-17-2009, 07:22 PM
I would call Flight Medicine, thats where I went to and they were also the ones to call back about it when I was finished. Just tell em you need to know about your Flight Physical status, they should be able to help you out.

imported_llkeithll
04-17-2009, 07:44 PM
I tried that already also, they just referred me back to Public Health. Maybe my base is different.

imported_usafcrewchiefb2
04-20-2009, 06:46 AM
Fellas!

Well seems like i finally found the forum concerning flight engineer questions! As of 8 April 2009, ive been slotted for a FY 2010 slot into the 1A111 career field! As of now I am only slotted for Fundies starting October 2nd, and hopefully AFPC will kick some more dates out here soon enough. Right now I am a B2 crew chief, and lets just say i am ready to leave and see what the operational side of the Air Force is up to. Anyone else seeing fundies in october? I have 4 buddies that are in/graduated flight engineer training within the year and 2 that have completed flight attendant training as well. Ive been warned about all the studying and wanting to chuck your books out the windows after the long days in the classrooms with all the new kids fresh outta basic asking 1000 questions about the air force and complaining about how this training sucks! good times...good times! Look forward to joinging the elite group of FEs out there and seeing what the real Air Force does on a day to day basis. I know what it takes to put an aircraft in the air (as do a lot of ASFCs) but ive been told that as a FE, it is a whole new aspect of how to put an aircraft in the air; and keep it there. I cant wait until October! I'll check back every now and then and see everyone is up to...later fellas! take it easy...

:cheers:

Max Power
04-20-2009, 02:19 PM
Welcome to the crew. :cheers: I start Fundies on 19 June. Two more long months of waiting.

imported_TJC78
04-20-2009, 04:07 PM
Welcome to the crew. :cheers: I start Fundies on 19 June. Two more long months of waiting.

Dude, all this waiting is making me stir-crazy. I'm coming off of 3 weeks of leave, I took it just so I wouldn't have to deal with coming to work for a while. I'll be taking another 10 days before we start Fundies, so I just have to ride out being at work for another month and a half or so.

Max Power
04-20-2009, 04:21 PM
Dude, all this waiting is making me stir-crazy. I'm coming off of 3 weeks of leave, I took it just so I wouldn't have to deal with coming to work for a while. I'll be taking another 10 days before we start Fundies, so I just have to ride out being at work for another month and a half or so.

I'm waiting until it gets closer to leaving before I burn some leave. Although work is pretty boring now since they took all of my troops and additional dutes away from me.

imported_waterboy
04-20-2009, 06:49 PM
Going crazy up here waiting for an assignment. Good thing I'm in the middle of Red Flag Alaska, have two more OREs, an ORI, and a Northern Edge to keep my mind off of it until July. Anyone else with a July-Aug DEROS get an assignment yet? I have BFE Sept 11th-Oct 23rd.

BigBaze
04-20-2009, 07:53 PM
Fellas!

Well seems like i finally found the forum concerning flight engineer questions! As of 8 April 2009, ive been slotted for a FY 2010 slot into the 1A111 career field! As of now I am only slotted for Fundies starting October 2nd, and hopefully AFPC will kick some more dates out here soon enough. Right now I am a B2 crew chief, and lets just say i am ready to leave and see what the operational side of the Air Force is up to. Anyone else seeing fundies in october? I have 4 buddies that are in/graduated flight engineer training within the year and 2 that have completed flight attendant training as well. Ive been warned about all the studying and wanting to chuck your books out the windows after the long days in the classrooms with all the new kids fresh outta basic asking 1000 questions about the air force and complaining about how this training sucks! good times...good times! Look forward to joinging the elite group of FEs out there and seeing what the real Air Force does on a day to day basis. I know what it takes to put an aircraft in the air (as do a lot of ASFCs) but ive been told that as a FE, it is a whole new aspect of how to put an aircraft in the air; and keep it there. I cant wait until October! I'll check back every now and then and see everyone is up to...later fellas! take it easy...

:cheers:

Welcome to the forum! I just got my Q1 on the KC10 and I go on my first actual mission this weekend, taking her down to an airshow in NC, can't wait. I agree, we ARE the real Air Force, there's is nothing like being an enlisted aviator!!

imported_usafcrewchiefb2
04-21-2009, 04:34 AM
ya this waiting crap is driving me nuts! how do you think i feel?? i dont have fundies until october 2nd and since i told my supervisors i got apprived for the retrain they kicked me down to the tool crib and gave me the TO program...so instead of 6 months on aircraft, ive got 6 months passing out tool boxes and posting TOs...thats a nice big boning!

BAZE, i cant wait to go to the operational side of the Air Force! This constant training and exercising lifestyle they got goin here is ridiculous and makes you forget there are real missions being flown everyday out there...cant wait to come over to ya'lls side and see the real air force at work!!

imported_SUPERSTAR
04-21-2009, 04:59 AM
Imagine waiting 9 months after you find out your approved before going to fundies! September 11th can't get here fast enough. I could of finished my MBA by now. Lost all my additional duties though. Still teaching tech school students, so I'm busy dealing with them. Taking lots of leave and going to NCOA in June.

Anybody in the September 11th class?

imported_waterboy
04-21-2009, 08:36 AM
BAZE, i cant wait to go to the operational side of the Air Force! This constant training and exercising lifestyle they got goin here is ridiculous and makes you forget there are real missions being flown everyday out there...cant wait to come over to ya'lls side and see the real air force at work!!

Man I hate to burst your bubble. I love flying and after ten years I wouldn't trade it, but if you think it's all wine and roses being an enlisted aviator you've got another thing coming.

Pearlrec
04-21-2009, 10:50 AM
I have fundies starting Sept 18 and BFE starting Oct 8. So I'm sure I will see a few of you there. Is any one else have those class dates? I am coming from overseas and am going to Nellis on the 60's. I booked my room at Kelly and was hoping that someone in my class was going to drive there so we could car pool. Not exactly sure on the ride situation if you're staying on Kelly w/out a car. Let me know if anyone out there has the dates or some answers...thanks!

BigBaze
04-21-2009, 11:56 AM
Man I hate to burst your bubble. I love flying and after ten years I wouldn't trade it, but if you think it's all wine and roses being an enlisted aviator you've got another thing coming.

For anyone coming from aircraft maintenance it is:)

imported_CV22chief
04-21-2009, 03:32 PM

the wait is killing me too. Its hard to stay motivated at work these days knowing i'm leaving in 2 months.

So anyway, I'll see you there a week later...by the way, anyone here going on june 26th to fundies? haven't seen anyone talk about it.

imported_waterboy
04-22-2009, 02:48 AM
Got my email from the 1A1 CFM today stating that I need to get retainability before he can load an assignment for me. Had a Red Flag sortie today, so only had a few moments to talk to the MPF. Going over there tomorrow to sign a few more years away. So, with these particulars in mind, does anyone have the scoop on how to proceed without losing the bulk of my future SRB?

Retraining under NCORP
Current DOS: Sep 2010
Required Retainability: Oct 2012
Years of service: 9 (10 in August) -- equates to zone B

I know I have to get the retainability to get the training. Understood. No beef. I'm in for twenty+ anyway. Since I am not in my reenlistment window I am pretty sure that all I can do for now is extend for another 25 months. I presume that I would just reenlist once I finish IQT. I have heard, though, that incurring the ADSC for training will count against the computation of any SRB. Anyone have experience with this and/or can provide any solid advice on how to proceed?

imported_usafcrewchiefb2
04-22-2009, 05:44 AM

i dont think its all wine and roses. I would imagine it has its hard moments and its easy moments. long days and short days. shitty tdy and awesome tdy. just like any other afsc. im just ready to see some actual missions in the air instead of the training exersizes we run here day in and day out to keep pilots qualed on their airframe...gets old flying around the flagpole all day and night...im ready to get that satisfaction of completing an actual mission...whether it be humanitarian or combat...either way...im ready for the eye opener...

and like BAZE said...coming from aircraft maintenance helps...:D

imported_usafcrewchiefb2
04-22-2009, 05:50 AM
I have fundies starting Sept 18 and BFE starting Oct 8. So I'm sure I will see a few of you there. Is any one else have those class dates? I am coming from overseas and am going to Nellis on the 60's. I booked my room at Kelly and was hoping that someone in my class was going to drive there so we could car pool. Not exactly sure on the ride situation if you're staying on Kelly w/out a car. Let me know if anyone out there has the dates or some answers...thanks!

man that sucks bro...i just got my dates dropped today for BFE...october 23rd is my start...i am driving from whiteman since ill be down there for both fundies and BFE back to back...no way im shuttling and walking for 3 months at Lackland...i would hook u up with a ride but seems like we will be seeing different classes...sry brother...

anyone else with fundies on oct. 2 or bfe on oct. 23? ill be drivin...so we can load up my truck with ppl for class...:cool:

imported_Ollie
04-22-2009, 09:00 AM
What's up everyone.. I'm new to the forum but I've been reading along for the past couple of weeks. Lots of good info here; wish I would have found it when I started the retraining process last year. After all the BS and waiting, I finally have a fundies class date of 25 September.. can't wait to get it all started. I'm trying to get as far away from F-16 maintenance as possilbe.

I was wondering if any of ya'll that came from overseas could help me out -- how does the whole TDY en route process work?? MPF told me that I'll PCS from here (currently in Alaska), show up at my next base (Little Rock) but I can't sign in to my gaining unit yet because I have to remain in TDY status. What I'm wondering is, if I show up there by my RNLTD in August and don't start class at Lackland until late September, what do I do for that whole month I'm not signed in yet?? I don't really wanna use up leave and I don't think they would let me just sit around doing nothing and collecting per diem.... or would they??!

imported_usafcrewchiefb2
04-22-2009, 11:03 AM
wow...sounds like you are getting the run around huh ollie? honestly i couldnt tell ya what they are gonna do...i would guess they wouldnt let you sit around and collect free money but then again you do have TDY orders to Lackland and aren't technically allowed to work at Little Rock without being signed into their unit...so you may luck out and get to chill for a month...which i dont know is any better cuz for me just sitting around gets really boring...perhaps you could get with the training guys down there for the pipeline C-130 training and do some mentorship work/shadowing...i dont think anyone is gonna be able to give you a for certain answer...perhaps call down there and ask someone...dont know bro...

heres a question for you all...how are some people already finding out what airframe they are on before fundies/BFE?? do they give you the platform they need you on or do u get to put in for "requests" at some point? does it go off my dreamsheet i updated when my retrain was approved?? if anyone knows a way to find this out so i can start making some future plans for my gaining base, that would be awesome...also would get the girl off my back about where we are going...hahaha

imported_usafcrewchiefb2
04-22-2009, 11:31 AM
heres another question but this is for the guys who are already FEs...why is that this AFSC is so undermanned and has been on the critical for so long? from the looks of it on here there a lot of people that want to be an FE and are excited to do it...is it a job that people do for a little bit and seperate from or is the demand for FEs going up and up as time goes on...im excited as hell to start and will do 20+ in the service as an FE...just curious...

imported_tmckinley
04-22-2009, 12:30 PM
Got my email from the 1A1 CFM today stating that I need to get retainability before he can load an assignment for me. Had a Red Flag sortie today, so only had a few moments to talk to the MPF. Going over there tomorrow to sign a few more years away. So, with these particulars in mind, does anyone have the scoop on how to proceed without losing the bulk of my future SRB?

Retraining under NCORP
Current DOS: Sep 2010
Required Retainability: Oct 2012
Years of service: 9 (10 in August) -- equates to zone B

I know I have to get the retainability to get the training. Understood. No beef. I'm in for twenty+ anyway. Since I am not in my reenlistment window I am pretty sure that all I can do for now is extend for another 25 months. I presume that I would just reenlist once I finish IQT. I have heard, though, that incurring the ADSC for training will count against the computation of any SRB. Anyone have experience with this and/or can provide any solid advice on how to proceed?

From what I was told by my MPF, I had to extend for 30 months to take my training, in order for me to take the bonus I have to reenlist BEFORE I enter my extension, then I will be able to get the bonus based on 3 years. I can reenlist as soon as I get back from Fundies and everything because at that time I will have the AFSC.

You can only have 6 years on the books, so that is why I can only reenlist for 3 years. The way it works is if you extend to take your training, when you become eligable to renlist and you do, your extension becomes part of your new contract, but because it is a prior commentment you dont get the bonus for that amount of time.

MPF might be able to explan it better. Bt that is the basics of it.

imported_CV22chief
04-22-2009, 02:16 PM
Hey all, I was lookin thru the internet and came across this site. Its got alot of good stuff on it and some cool links. check it out. www.heyeng.com

imported_waterboy
04-22-2009, 04:55 PM
i dont think its all wine and roses. I would imagine it has its hard moments and its easy moments. long days and short days. shitty tdy and awesome tdy. just like any other afsc. im just ready to see some actual missions in the air instead of the training exersizes we run here day in and day out to keep pilots qualed on their airframe...gets old flying around the flagpole all day and night...im ready to get that satisfaction of completing an actual mission...whether it be humanitarian or combat...either way...im ready for the eye opener...

and like BAZE said...coming from aircraft maintenance helps...:D

That much I completely understand. More than anything else I can't wait to fly a sortie that lands anywhere other than where it took off and doesn't almost exclusively involve flying in circles. Oh and having windows will be nice. :rolleyes:

imported_waterboy
04-22-2009, 06:42 PM
What's up everyone.. I'm new to the forum but I've been reading along for the past couple of weeks. Lots of good info here; wish I would have found it when I started the retraining process last year. After all the BS and waiting, I finally have a fundies class date of 25 September.. can't wait to get it all started. I'm trying to get as far away from F-16 maintenance as possilbe.

I was wondering if any of ya'll that came from overseas could help me out -- how does the whole TDY en route process work?? MPF told me that I'll PCS from here (currently in Alaska), show up at my next base (Little Rock) but I can't sign in to my gaining unit yet because I have to remain in TDY status. What I'm wondering is, if I show up there by my RNLTD in August and don't start class at Lackland until late September, what do I do for that whole month I'm not signed in yet?? I don't really wanna use up leave and I don't think they would let me just sit around doing nothing and collecting per diem.... or would they??!

Hey Ollie-

I am coming from Alaska as well. Coming from "overseas," we will PCS to our new unit prior to beginning BFE. You will be getting an email from SMSgt Doss to this effect. Make sure your assignment preference sheet is updated with your FE preferences.

imported_waterboy
04-22-2009, 06:50 PM
heres another question but this is for the guys who are already FEs...why is that this AFSC is so undermanned and has been on the critical for so long? from the looks of it on here there a lot of people that want to be an FE and are excited to do it...is it a job that people do for a little bit and seperate from or is the demand for FEs going up and up as time goes on...im excited as hell to start and will do 20+ in the service as an FE...just curious...

I work with a lot of FEs here in AWACS, and I can tell you that the consensus with them is that FE is a dying career field. New aircraft don't have FEs (replaced by computers, etc), and the ones that do are slowly being phased out (albeit over a very long time frame). Good news is the C-5 and C-130 AMP mods didn't get rid of the engineer, but I would expect that the career field will slowly shrink over the forseeable future as more and more engineer crewed aircraft leave the inventory. There will be plenty of jobs to be had for a long while to come, though.

imported_waterboy
04-22-2009, 08:02 PM
Hey all. I found the information regarding extensions/reenlistment for the purpose of meeting retraining retainability. Basically, CAREERS retrainees may either extend or reenlist regardless of current enlistment window. You will receive an SRB at the lower multiplier of your current and new AFSC. Keep in mind that your current obligated service will be tacked onto your new enlistment, for a total not to exceed 72 months. If you choose to extend instead, you may cancel your extension within 30 days of graduation from the training you extended for without penalty, with the stipulation that you must immediately reenlist. By the way, you do not have to repay any of your current SRB.

If ya'll want to take a look at it yourselves (I highly reccomend that you do), here's the link:

http://ask.afpc.randolph.af.mil/Reenlistments/?prods3=2535

On the right side of the page, look for the link to "Air Force Reenlistments Continuity Book."

Hope this is helpful to others.

imported_Ollie
04-22-2009, 10:43 PM
Hey Ollie-

I am coming from Alaska as well. Coming from "overseas," we will PCS to our new unit prior to beginning BFE. You will be getting an email from SMSgt Doss to this effect. Make sure your assignment preference sheet is updated with your FE preferences.

I already have an assignment to Little Rock but never got anything from SMSgt Doss. Is that how it typically works, he contacts everyone directly with info?

IDesire2Fly
04-22-2009, 11:47 PM

Hey Ollie-
That's a good question, I am going to be in the same boat. I am coming from Hawaii and will get there in August. We will be in the same class and base. I am going to make some phone calls next week and see if iI can get in contact with anyone around there to let me know. I am going to try to use that time to look for a house and get familiar with the area. As well as see if I can get into whatever squadron I will be in and see what I can do. Sitting around is not the thing for me. It will get boring after a while. Do you have BFE right after fundies? Well, I can see, we'll get through this together:) We'll have to get in contact so we can help each other out. Cuz, I have found a lot of great information on this post as well as from an ex-FE. And I'm sure you have a lot of information that we can share and trade so we don't go in there looking like too big of fools, lol... When are you due to leave AK?

brentusaf
04-23-2009, 12:41 AM
I'm leaving Monday for Fundies and still have no orders. I was assured I would have them by Friday, this is ridiculous.

BigBaze
04-23-2009, 01:22 AM
I work with a lot of FEs here in AWACS, and I can tell you that the consensus with them is that FE is a dying career field. New aircraft don't have FEs (replaced by computers, etc), and the ones that do are slowly being phased out (albeit over a very long time frame). Good news is the C-5 and C-130 AMP mods didn't get rid of the engineer, but I would expect that the career field will slowly shrink over the forseeable future as more and more engineer crewed aircraft leave the inventory. There will be plenty of jobs to be had for a long while to come, though.

The KC10 is going to be around for awhile so I am good to go, at least til I retire.

imported_fluke
04-23-2009, 04:37 AM
I'm leaving Monday for Fundies and still have no orders. I was assured I would have them by Friday, this is ridiculous.

I hope this shit doesnt happen to me. I am about a month out.

Keep us informed when you get your orders. I have heard of some people getting to Lackland before their orders and had to have their orders faxed.

imported_TJC78
04-23-2009, 02:04 PM
heres a question for you all...how are some people already finding out what airframe they are on before fundies/BFE?? do they give you the platform they need you on or do u get to put in for "requests" at some point? does it go off my dreamsheet i updated when my retrain was approved?? if anyone knows a way to find this out so i can start making some future plans for my gaining base, that would be awesome...also would get the girl off my back about where we are going...hahaha

If you're coming from overseas, you have to PCS to your gaining unit and then go TDY to all the training courses. Therefore, you have to know which airframe you're being assigned to. If you're stateside, you go TDY from your current unit, and you'll fill out a dream sheet during Aircrew Fundies. You won't find out what airframe you're assigned to until Block 3 or 4 of BFE from what I understand. You won't actually PCS to your gaining unit after you finish the bulk of your training.

brentusaf
04-23-2009, 02:38 PM
I hope this shit doesnt happen to me. I am about a month out.

Keep us informed when you get your orders. I have heard of some people getting to Lackland before their orders and had to have their orders faxed.

I just recieved my orders.

TheDude
04-24-2009, 08:55 AM
Will I get an assigment for my next base before I leave for fundies or will I get that when I actually get down to Lackland? Thanks!

imported_TJC78
04-24-2009, 03:08 PM
Will I get an assigment for my next base before I leave for fundies or will I get that when I actually get down to Lackland? Thanks!

Read my last post, dude.

TheDude
04-24-2009, 06:12 PM
Read my last post, dude.

Wow... being on midshift is apparently starting to f*** with my head! My bad...

imported_TJC78
04-26-2009, 05:34 PM
No harm no foul man.

imported_tmckinley
04-27-2009, 01:20 AM
Less than a month to go before fundies and BFE!!!

So I know I will find out what airframe I will be assigned to sometime during BFE, my question is how long after graduating Fundies, BFE, SERE and water survival will it be before I leave for my specific airframe school?

BigBaze
04-27-2009, 02:21 AM
Less than a month to go before fundies and BFE!!!

So I know I will find out what airframe I will be assigned to sometime during BFE, my question is how long after graduating Fundies, BFE, SERE and water survival will it be before I leave for my specific airframe school?

It depends what airframe you get, one of our guys got C5's and only started his C5 school one year after BFE. I lucked out on KC10's and started a couple months after SERE

imported_SUPERSTAR
04-27-2009, 03:03 AM
No way! It can take a little while to go on to airframe school? I hope it’s a smooth short time in between all the schools. My current job is getting to be a drag, want to move on as soon as possible. Anybody else have similar experiences with waiting long times?

imported_tmckinley
04-27-2009, 03:47 AM
It depends what airframe you get, one of our guys got C5's and only started his C5 school one year after BFE. I lucked out on KC10's and started a couple months after SERE

I hope it will be a couple of months or shorter, having to wait a year would suck. But it wouldnt be the Air Force without the "hurry up and wait" game.

Spunjah413
04-27-2009, 05:52 PM
Im not sure what will hapen to me. 33rd side of Eglin will be almost completely shut down a little after I get back from SERE. Not sure what I will be doing when I get back, lol.

imported_tmckinley
04-27-2009, 06:28 PM
Im not sure what will hapen to me. 33rd side of Eglin will be almost completely shut down a little after I get back from SERE. Not sure what I will be doing when I get back, lol.

Knowing how the 33rd works, your screwed. I was stationed in the 33rd for 4 1/2 years. Im sure they will find something for you somewhere on that base.

Spunjah413
04-28-2009, 02:53 AM
Yeah i've been here for 5 years now, I know all about getting screwed...Especially coming from the Flight Line, lol.

Also since I am driving to lackland, what are they paying out per mile? Or do you get the amount back a plane ticket would have costed me?

brentusaf
04-28-2009, 06:58 PM
Yeah i've been here for 5 years now, I know all about getting screwed...Especially coming from the Flight Line, lol.

Also since I am driving to lackland, what are they paying out per mile? Or do you get the amount back a plane ticket would have costed me?

When are you leaving for San Antonio? I left Yesterday and I am in Navarre, Fl at the moment visiting Family. I think I will leave here Thursday. Mapquest said it's roughly 12 hours to Lackland.

imported_fluke
04-29-2009, 05:18 PM
Additional information about staying at Kelly Inn

This was some interesting information I pulled off https://etca.randolph.af.mil searching for information on C-5 FIQ.

Take note where it says BFE students.

" E. Billeting: Lackland has decided to house all C5 and BFE students at the Kelly Inn. According AFMAN 34-255, there are no meals available at the Kelly Inn located on Kelly USA. Orders should read no government meals are available or directed. "

kenton
04-29-2009, 07:40 PM
Well.... I found out today that I will be waiting at least another month before my package goes to the board. Seeing they meet today or tomorrow, and my package is still awaiting CFM approval. Question for you all that have been accepted. My package has been with the CFM since 2 April. Is that a normal wait time for the CFM to approve the package? How long did it take you all between submitting your package and having the CFM bless it?

Max Power
04-29-2009, 07:43 PM
Well.... I found out today that I will be waiting at least another month before my package goes to the board. Seeing they meet today or tomorrow, and my package is still awaiting CFM approval. Question for you all that have been accepted. My package has been with the CFM since 2 April. Is that a normal wait time for the CFM to approve the package? How long did it take you all between submitting your package and having the CFM bless it?

Mine took about six days. I retrained under NCORP so I don't know if that makes a difference or not. Don't worry though the wait is definitely worth it.

chachikeno
04-30-2009, 01:51 AM
Kenton, mine has been at the CFM since 19 March so the wait is normal I guess. By the way i'm applying through the NCORP so it all depends how many people they need.

imported_usafcrewchiefb2
04-30-2009, 04:40 AM

Honestly bro, it varies...i submitted my whole package on a tuesday and had status 6 by friday of the following week...i have no idea why my package was routed so fast but it was...maybe because i only put in for aircrew AFSCs...with FE and LM my top two...

anyway...dont stress it bro...they are accepting people for the 2010 fiscal year retrain so now so im sure they are just taking their time because they arent in a rush to fill slots for the 09 fiscal year anymore...:rolleyes:

imported_usafcrewchiefb2
04-30-2009, 05:31 AM
so i take it that once i have completed the orignal 4 courses (fundies, BFE, sere, water) and have returned to my losing unit waiting on time to report to FIQ is when i am supposed to buy more equipment for the FIQ course...after 4 years as a crew chief, 2 rotations to iraq, and FE training, im gonna have so much equipment laying around...i could start my own air force...:rolleyes:

Gunner7
04-30-2009, 12:22 PM

The CFM review should not take one month. Either AFPC never sent it or the CFM has not returned it. Have them contact the CFM for an update. This is BS.

B52C/C87
04-30-2009, 04:53 PM
Hey does anyone know where you get your req items list for training. My mobility has no clue. I only have my first two classes loaded and guess I will get the other ones at tech school.

imported_usafcrewchiefb2
05-01-2009, 08:02 AM
Hey does anyone know where you get your req items list for training. My mobility has no clue. I only have my first two classes loaded and guess I will get the other ones at tech school.

from what i understand as far as req equip for training is this...your losing base buys everything u need to get through the TRAINING aspect of ur retrain...the only list i have come across as far as req/opt equipment for retraining into aircrew afsc is the stuff for SERE and water training...fundies and basic course is gonna be blues on monday and friday and ABU/BDU tuesday thru thursday...i have a buddy that just graduated all 4 courses and he said he doesnt suggest wearing flight suits during fundies or basic course cuz it portrays the image that all you care about is being able to wear a flight suit among enlisted personnel...he said he waited to graduate all his courses before he wore his...

now with all that said...the SERE equip list can be found on the AF Portal under the SERE page...there is a booklet on the site with info on the whole SERE training experience as well the req/opt equip you will need to have BEFORE going to fairchild...once your 4 courses are completed, your losing unit will once again buy more equip for your FIQ...and then once you have PCSd to your gaining unit, they will buy the remaining equip for your job...

like i said...this is just what i have acquired from this site...if i am wrong or anyone else has more info, please share so i am in the loop as well...thanks fellas...:cheers:

chachikeno
05-01-2009, 08:27 PM
Well i found out yesterday that I have to submit an ETP for a First Term Airman slot because all SSgt slots are gone. All this after a month of waiting for the CFM to approve my package, now I have to wait some more!

kenton
05-01-2009, 08:52 PM
Honestly bro, it varies...i submitted my whole package on a tuesday and had status 6 by friday of the following week...i have no idea why my package was routed so fast but it was...maybe because i only put in for aircrew AFSCs...with FE and LM my top two...

anyway...dont stress it bro...they are accepting people for the 2010 fiscal year retrain so now so im sure they are just taking their time because they arent in a rush to fill slots for the 09 fiscal year anymore...:rolleyes:

Yours must have been routed quick for another reason. I only put FE #1 and LM #2. The only reason I can think its taking so long is because I had to put in an EP for crosstraining outside my window (coming from overseas) and an AFSC waiver. Maybe the CFM's are waiting on those to process.... I really dont know. I triple checked with AFPC and they assured me the packages are with the CFM's awaiting approval. I can only see one instance where I will get screwed... and that is if the FE CFM denies my AFSC waiver and all the LM slots are gone.

imported_perfectfotow
05-02-2009, 10:29 PM
I have been on the forum for a few months and have a few questions that I cant seem to find.

1. How many credits do we receive for FE school.
2. Should I worry I have 20 days until I go to school and have not gotten any emails, have code 6 and classes loaded until Aug.
3. I totally suck at math and was wondering if I will have any trouble making it through the classes, I have a handle on the basics and have a maintenance background.
TIA

BigBaze
05-02-2009, 11:03 PM
I have been on the forum for a few months and have a few questions that I cant seem to find.

1. How many credits do we receive for FE school.
2. Should I worry I have 20 days until I go to school and have not gotten any emails, have code 6 and classes loaded until Aug.
3. I totally suck at math and was wondering if I will have any trouble making it through the classes, I have a handle on the basics and have a maintenance background.
TIA

I can't quite remember the hours you get for the course, but you do get some towards your CCAF in the FE Career field. If you have Code 6 and classes loaded in your vMPF you should be good, if you want call down to the 344th TRS at Lackland or AFPC to clarify. I sucked at math but I know how to work a calculator, most of my math is done on charts. Being from maintenance gives you a big advantage. Believe me the hardest part is going to be the TOLD charts. (take off and landing data) I studied my ass off until I got a handle on things. There was no way I was going to fail and go back to my old job!

imported_perfectfotow
05-02-2009, 11:33 PM
Thanks for the info on this forum!

c5engineer
05-04-2009, 02:14 PM
Don't worry about the math. Baze is right on about charts and graphs. Once you get the hang of the chart construction and can lay that pencil lead down in the right place it's just a matter of knowin' the rules and getting proficient and spotting the corrections you need to make. If you get C-5's, they'll make you use charts through school to backup the computer, but once your in the system it's all computerized told data. I always loved charts (I'm a dinosaur) so being on a 130 now I no longer have computerized told data and won't probably the rest of my career (it's hard to rest a Panasonic Tough book on your lap in an 80 degree bank during a random steep after a SAFIRE :)

Good luck to you

BigBaze
05-04-2009, 03:29 PM
Don't worry about the math. Baze is right on about charts and graphs. Once you get the hang of the chart construction and can lay that pencil lead down in the right place it's just a matter of knowin' the rules and getting proficient and spotting the corrections you need to make. If you get C-5's, they'll make you use charts through school to backup the computer, but once your in the system it's all computerized told data. I always loved charts (I'm a dinosaur) so being on a 130 now I no longer have computerized told data and won't probably the rest of my career (it's hard to rest a Panasonic Tough book on your lap in an 80 degree bank during a random steep after a SAFIRE :)

Good luck to you

I forgot about the good old ETold, the computerized TOLD we have on our KC10 laptops, once you get to know how to use it is is useful, but I damn sure am not allowed to to use it as a student. They use it in the desert a lot since you pretty much take off with the same weight, fuel load and weather every day (HOT!):) There are some restrictions on it. Like C5engineer says and I do agree, you can get tripped up pretty easy by not doing the right corrections (anti-ice on/off, AC on/off, slope up/down or just basically following the wrong line! That's where people had trouble in BFE....but with some practice you guys will be fine.

imported_waterboy
05-04-2009, 09:10 PM
Hey all. I just saw the vMPF notification that I am headed to the 305th at McGuire. Woot KC-10s! I'll be rolling in sometime in early August before I head out for BFE a few weeks later. Is anyone else in the 11 Sep BFE class?

BigBaze
05-05-2009, 07:22 AM
Hey all. I just saw the vMPF notification that I am headed to the 305th at McGuire. Woot KC-10s! I'll be rolling in sometime in early August before I head out for BFE a few weeks later. Is anyone else in the 11 Sep BFE class?

Cool you are headed up my way, find out what squadron you are coming to, either the 32nd or 2nd and let me know

imported_usafcrewchiefb2
05-07-2009, 10:46 AM
wow...time goes by so slow when you want something so bad...i have a countdown till i leave and it seems like it never changes...so how is the FE life treatin those that are...

BigBaze
05-08-2009, 12:48 PM
wow...time goes by so slow when you want something so bad...i have a countdown till i leave and it seems like it never changes...so how is the FE life treatin those that are...

I was on a trip last week, came back, headed back out a day later for a three day trip here in the states, multiple legs, bunch of quick turns, going right back out on Monday for 3 days to Alaska..the lifestyle is crazy, but fun! getting caught in a wall of thunderstorms last night on the way home was intense too:)

TheMrs
05-08-2009, 08:24 PM
Anyone coming to Minot?

BigBaze
05-11-2009, 02:58 PM
How are things going for all of you that are in EAUC or BFE?

chachikeno
05-11-2009, 04:40 PM
Question for all of you who have been through this hellish process. I am now showing status code"3". I know I dont have 36 months retainability (only 32), so should I go ahead and try to extend right now or do I have to wait until I am status code "5" before I go to MPF? Please let me know. Thanks.

Max Power
05-11-2009, 05:02 PM
Question for all of you who have been through this hellish process. I am now showing status code"3". I know I dont have 36 months retainability (only 32), so should I go ahead and try to extend right now or do I have to wait until I am status code "5" before I go to MPF? Please let me know. Thanks.

Wait for your training rips once your classes are loaded. That will be Status code 6. The rips will have the retainablility requirement and just take that to the MPF to start your extension.

imported_FE2b
05-13-2009, 09:06 AM
hey whats up guys... i just want to say that you guys have a lot of good info on here... you guys get me all hyped up! i start class mid june.... any of you guys to?

Max Power
05-13-2009, 01:36 PM
hey whats up guys... i just want to say that you guys have a lot of good info on here... you guys get me all hyped up! i start class mid june.... any of you guys to?

What day? I start on the 19th.

imported_fluke
05-13-2009, 04:27 PM

<----- I start fundies 12 June.

imported_FE2b
05-13-2009, 08:45 PM
I start the 12th.... getting really stoked!!! did you all get your SERE equipemnt?

imported_TJC78
05-13-2009, 09:13 PM
I start the 12th.... getting really stoked!!! did you all get your SERE equipemnt?

I start on the 19th with MaxPower. I got the stuff for SERE, didn't really seem to be much to it. Some boots, a flashlight, and various other odds and ends.

imported_tmckinley
05-13-2009, 10:42 PM
1 week left then I start, 2 more days of work and I am out of here for school...

brentusaf
05-14-2009, 02:04 AM
How are things going for all of you that are in EAUC or BFE?

Just started block 3 in EAUC and if all goes well I will be graduating on Wednesday and start BFE on Thursday.