PDA

View Full Version : Flight Engineer retraining

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

imported_CV22chief
01-10-2009, 05:07 PM
Oh ok. The husband was a crew chief on 53s and was supposed to go to the cv22 until he crosstrained to FE. Now he's on the uh1n. Good luck with everything!

Really? can i ask who your husband is? I was on 53's for 8 years

kenton
01-10-2009, 10:59 PM
Really? The people I went through totally messed that up. They said there was no way I could get a bonus because I fall into a grey area. Is there a way to go back and get it?

The AFI states exactly what he said... as an FTA you will get the lessor of the two AFSC's That means if your AFSC is not on the SRB list your screwed.... if they are... you will get the lessor of the two.

kenton
01-10-2009, 11:17 PM
That sucks I did not get the FE bonus:(

its in the AFI..... submit a correction.. quoting the AFI

BigBaze
01-11-2009, 04:24 AM
The AFI states exactly what he said... as an FTA you will get the lessor of the two AFSC's That means if your AFSC is not on the SRB list your screwed.... if they are... you will get the lessor of the two.

yeah I was in 2A631D jet propulsion, no SRB for me:(

TF39master
01-11-2009, 11:29 PM
Hey Icetrey your in the class right after me, I started this last friday and I start BFE on the 30th.

TF39master
01-11-2009, 11:33 PM
Hey Bigbaze Im courious as to how good of a chance I have of getting the assignment I want. We were told friday that sometime during BFE we fillout a dreamsheet and then we get an assignment. I really want to go back to my first airframe, C5's in Travis. Im in an F-16 base right now so they have to move me either way. Was mcguire your first choice? what about the other guys in your class? did they get their first choices?

jparker
01-12-2009, 12:34 AM
I am also wondering about assignments. I do not want to come back to AWACS, but it seems that I will........from what people say.

JP26
01-12-2009, 09:35 AM

oh okay. Yeah I wrote AFPC and they told me that I have to have completed the tech school first to get the SRB. Either way I would probably pay them the amount of the SRB to get out of MX. lol. I just thought it couldn't hurt to ask. Thanks again!

imported_tyler88s10
01-12-2009, 10:23 PM
Hello all,

Well i have gotten my status 6 today and class dates. I start EAUC on May 22 and BFE on 12 Jun. Anyone else with the same class dates? Also any info from the guys that have went through BFE lately can give me some tips to ease my mind about it...IM REALLY NERVOUS! Im from AMMO on a feeder waiver so i dont have the aviation exp like most on here. Any info would be great. Thanks

BigBaze
01-12-2009, 11:15 PM
Hey Bigbaze Im courious as to how good of a chance I have of getting the assignment I want. We were told friday that sometime during BFE we fillout a dreamsheet and then we get an assignment. I really want to go back to my first airframe, C5's in Travis. Im in an F-16 base right now so they have to move me either way. Was mcguire your first choice? what about the other guys in your class? did they get their first choices?

KC10's at McGuire were my 2nd choice my first was Travis -10's. In our class most of the guys got what they wanted except a guy who worked JSTARS and put them last on his list and still got them. It is the luck of the draw, the needs of the Air Force come first. You may be able to talk to the functional manager when he comes down to speak to do guys. You put in your dream sheet during EAUC and find out where you are going like Block 3 or 4 of BFE. Good luck!

imported_tmckinley
01-13-2009, 12:38 AM
I got my commanders recommendation today and everything was sent off to AFPC, VMPF shows Code 3. Hopefully something good will happen. Does a retraining package that is submitted under NCORP go to a board? If so does anyone know when that board meets? If not what is the selection process?

BigBaze
01-13-2009, 01:50 AM
First day of FTU today:)

Fissie
01-13-2009, 02:00 AM

Good luck to you BigBaze!

imported_CV22chief
01-13-2009, 02:25 AM
I am getting so frustrated. My commander still hasn't signed my package...7 days later. They say he is talking to some personnel chief AFSOC because they are trying to freeze code people. lucky me i'm not coded, so I dont get what the problem is. This is one part of the military I hate. there is always someone out the tryin to f you and there is nothing you can do about it. It makes me so mad. It doesnt take more than a minute to click approve/submit. Damn People!!

JP26
01-13-2009, 09:16 AM
I got my commanders recommendation today and everything was sent off to AFPC, VMPF shows Code 3. Hopefully something good will happen. Does a retraining package that is submitted under NCORP go to a board? If so does anyone know when that board meets? If not what is the selection process?

My husband actually just wrote AFPC about this. They said NCORP doesn't meet a board you just need to get released from your current AFSC functional manager, and then the package gets forwarded from there. Hope that helps. :) that is just what they told us.

skyrat77
01-13-2009, 11:03 AM
Hello all,

Well i have gotten my status 6 today and class dates. I start EAUC on May 22 and BFE on 12 Jun. Anyone else with the same class dates? Also any info from the guys that have went through BFE lately can give me some tips to ease my mind about it...IM REALLY NERVOUS! Im from AMMO on a feeder waiver so i dont have the aviation exp like most on here. Any info would be great. Thanks
Tyler88s10,

If EAUC is the same as Aircrew Fundamentals-Flight Engineer, then I'm with you! I also have the Basic Flight Engineer - Undergraduate Flying Training scheduled for 12 Jun.
Like you, I received the status 6 yesterday. I am completely stoked! I have waited for this since October 07!
Send me a private message if you want my info so we can chat until we meet there. Hopefully more folks get approved and are in this forum. Congrats my friend and don't worry! I am a 5 level KC-10 Crew Chief and don't know how to do weight and balance, TOLD calculations or anything. I'm just brushing up on my mental math skills and reading a book I found on Amazon about the Air Force FE Training.
Here is the link: http://www.amazon.com/Flight-Engineer-Training-Aircraft-Performance/dp/141022239X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1231844540&sr=1-1

skyrat77
01-13-2009, 11:07 AM
Good luck Big Baze and thanks for keeping us up to date on your progress!
Is there a SSgt Osuna in your Squadron?
Cheers!

imported_tmckinley
01-13-2009, 10:31 PM
My husband actually just wrote AFPC about this. They said NCORP doesn't meet a board you just need to get released from your current AFSC functional manager, and then the package gets forwarded from there. Hope that helps. :) that is just what they told us.

Thanks...that is what I thought, just wanted to make sure.

FNG
01-14-2009, 12:23 AM
Howdy Folks! It sounds like it's really working out for everyone, that's great to hear. If anyone iis having trouble or getting frustrated with their application just hang in there, stay determined, and keep your eye on the prize. I start Fundies at the end of the month, with everything else except Water Survival there after....and I started this whole process a year ago next month.

I do however have a concern I soliciting for advice on. Since I'm leaving here in a couple of weeks, I will be WAPS testing out of cycle, possibly between my scheduled school and Airframe school if there's enough of a break. MPF is telling me even though I will WAPS test out of cycle, I still will not be SKT exempt, since they're telling me I'm entering re-training 29 Jan....which is after 31 Dec. This is so, even considering I WENT to Water Survival 1 Dec. I'm sure I cant be the only one in this perdicament....and maybe brining this to the attention of other's on this thread that will be starting class this month too. I'm waving the BS flag at my CSS and MPF with no luck...and don't trying to find the time to dig in their regs. How they can make me test my old career field, months after I'm a 3-level Engineer is beyond me. Thoughts, advice, comments?

I just signedfor my test date today and I will be testing before I leave for class on the 30. Im not SKT exempt either. I figured Id do it before I leave rather than try to study that along with the FE stuff

skyrat77
01-14-2009, 11:53 AM
Could someone clarify the pros and cons of the Kelly Inn vs the Gateway Inn?
Example (closeness to school house, money, facility, etc.)
Thanks in advanve for any prompt replies since I have to reserve a room soon!

Gunner7
01-14-2009, 01:13 PM
I am getting so frustrated. My commander still hasn't signed my package...7 days later. They say he is talking to some personnel chief AFSOC because they are trying to freeze code people. lucky me i'm not coded, so I dont get what the problem is. This is one part of the military I hate. there is always someone out the tryin to f you and there is nothing you can do about it. It makes me so mad. It doesnt take more than a minute to click approve/submit. Damn People!!

This can be a pretty frustrating time. The good news is that your leadership should be aware of the following from 36-2618:
"4.1.8.1. Consider pursuing opportunities, and encourage subordinates, to retrain into Air Force
shortage career fields, when appropriate, to balance the force, enabling the Air Force to meet mission
requirements."
Talk with your supervisor and ask him/her to get an update on the CC's approval, there have been plenty of instances where the Commander was not aware of the requirement to process the request in a timely manner. Their approval is answering a question about you as an individual not unit manning.

imported_llkeithll
01-14-2009, 05:12 PM
My supervisor is still trying to talk me out of doing this. I mean hes not talking me out of it in the sense that I don't want to do it just that he keeps saying that I won't get it and that I am wasting my Careers opportunity because if i don't get picked up for it then I am just out of luck. I am in a feeder AFSC so i don't see how my chances can be that bad really.

Gunner7
01-14-2009, 05:38 PM
My supervisor is still trying to talk me out of doing this. I mean hes not talking me out of it in the sense that I don't want to do it just that he keeps saying that I won't get it and that I am wasting my Careers opportunity because if i don't get picked up for it then I am just out of luck. I am in a feeder AFSC so i don't see how my chances can be that bad really.

If you are in a feeder, Have a General score of 57 on the ASVAB, and pass the Class III physical the only show stopper would be a referral EPR or other disqual. Then we would have to magically fill the remaining 38 FTA slots in record time PLUS the 150 FY 10 slots as well. He means well but could stand to learn a bit about the program.

Spunjah413
01-14-2009, 06:20 PM
Seriously don't listen to him. I was actually 3 months shy of my actual Cross training window. I was actually told kind of the same thing by the base career advisor, about possibly wasting my Xtrain opportunity. As long as all your requirments are met and AFPC says your a good to go on manning for your base, your basically a shoe in, especially as a feeder AFSC. My total application time from start (submitting a request) to finish was only 2 months, and hit status 6.

imported_llkeithll
01-14-2009, 10:41 PM
If you are in a feeder, Have a General score of 57 on the ASVAB, and pass the Class III physical the only show stopper would be a referral EPR or other disqual. Then we would have to magically fill the remaining 38 FTA slots in record time PLUS the 150 FY 10 slots as well. He means well but could stand to learn a bit about the program.

I am a feeder AFSC 2M0, I have a General score of 81 on the ASVAB, so far I have had all firewall 5 EPRs, only thing I can see getting in the way is the Class III physical only because I don't know everything that they test you on. I am on PRP if that is similar. If anyone call tell me what all a Class III entails that would be great.

AFWIFE
01-15-2009, 02:29 AM
Congrats! My hubby and I are @ Mildenhall and have orders to the 66th as well. I guess we will see you all there. Our RNLTD is Feb 2009. :)

Just found out today that we also got orders to Nellis the 66th as well. I will be doing lots of research about the area and the schools. I have one in elementary and the other is in middle school. We will be there in August. Let me know if you get any good info. It will be helpful. Thanks so much!!

imported_tmckinley
01-15-2009, 02:30 AM
I am a feeder AFSC 2M0, I have a General score of 81 on the ASVAB, so far I have had all firewall 5 EPRs, only thing I can see getting in the way is the Class III physical only because I don't know everything that they test you on. I am on PRP if that is similar. If anyone call tell me what all a Class III entails that would be great.

Your Class III will be the following: Records review, Chest xray, EKG, Eye Exam, Depth perception, general health questions...I think that was all I went thru.

AFWIFE
01-15-2009, 02:40 AM
Hey Fissie, Nice to hear from you. Actually I am the one that is going to be doing the cross training. My husband is also military so he will be going to Vegas with me and working in the maintenance squadron for the helos. We final out the end of this month. I can't wait. I don't start training till April so I will be doing some odd jobs around the squadron till I leave. Are you guys buying a house? We are looking into doing that because the prices are so good right now. Unfortunately a lot of areas around Nellis are not very safe so we are spending a lot of time researching different areas. We both have British cars right now so we wont be shipping anything home. After hearing about the sales tax, I am glad we don't have to :) Did you get a sponsor yet? I called a couple of months ago and they gave me one. The people in the squadron seem really nice and helpful!!!

Well good luck with everything. I will let you know if I hear about anything else about moving:) See you in Vegas:)

Just found out we got orders to Nellis also. WOW 3 of us from Mildenhall and we are all going to Nellis. I read your message about doing research and I too will be doing lots of research. I'm a little nervous about the area and the schools. I grew up in CA and been to Vegas for the night life a few times, but don't know to much about it. If I get any good info I will let you know. My aunt lives in Henderson which is about 17 miles from there and is in a good a area. We PCS here in July, but my husbands class date is not until Sept. I think we are going to take 30 days of leave first to visit family in CA. Good luck!

imported_CV22chief
01-15-2009, 02:55 AM
This can be a pretty frustrating time. The good news is that your leadership should be aware of the following from 36-2618:
"4.1.8.1. Consider pursuing opportunities, and encourage subordinates, to retrain into Air Force
shortage career fields, when appropriate, to balance the force, enabling the Air Force to meet mission
requirements."
Talk with your supervisor and ask him/her to get an update on the CC's approval, there have been plenty of instances where the Commander was not aware of the requirement to process the request in a timely manner. Their approval is answering a question about you as an individual not unit manning.

Thanks for the encouragement Gunner7. I should find something out tomorrow since I've started making a stink about it. Funny thing is Ive asked my supervisor, his supervisor and then thier supervisor, and no one has gotten a straight answer. So, I went to the First Sergeant to get my answer. There is another guy who i work with going through the same thing, so i'm not alone. We started everything the same time, and turned our paper work in the same day. Anyway, hopefully i'll know something tomorrow.

imported_CV22chief
01-15-2009, 03:03 AM
Just found out we got orders to Nellis also. WOW 3 of us from Mildenhall and we are all going to Nellis. I read your message about doing research and I too will be doing lots of research. I'm a little nervous about the area and the schools. I grew up in CA and been to Vegas for the night life a few times, but don't know to much about it. If I get any good info I will let you know. My aunt lives in Henderson which is about 17 miles from there and is in a good a area. We PCS here in July, but my husbands class date is not until Sept. I think we are going to take 30 days of leave first to visit family in CA. Good luck!

I left Mildenhall just a year ago. I worked on the 53's when they were there. I know ALOT of people who went to Nellis from there when they closed the sqaudron. Seems most of them like it there. There is definitely plenty to do. If you think of anything specific you want to know, i can probably get the info for you from my friends out there. Anyway, good luck!

JP26
01-15-2009, 09:12 AM

Good to hear AFWIFE! We are also from Cali. I can't wait to be so close to my family!! I will let you know how the research on the areas go. So far I am looking at Aliante, Henderson, and Summerlin (this area is a little pricey so not sure about this one yet). I like Aliante though. My sponsor said it is nice there, he also recommended Henderson so I am looking around. He said even though the nice places are farther, the drive is worth it. I guess we will all be meeting up at Nellis. What squadron are you guys in over here at Mildenhall? if you don't mind me asking. I am in the SOG right now.

Fissie
01-15-2009, 01:56 PM

Congrats AFwife! Nice to know there will be another like me in US/UK time warp shock this year! I'm getting so excited...we just got our tickets, we'll be there April 1st! I have a good friend who just moved away from LV last year. She's a real-estate agent( and not mil related), and has said some really good things about Aliante'. She's said if she were to buy anywhere in LV right now, it would be in Aliante'. From what I've been seeing too the houses are newer and you get a little more bang for your buck!
I'm just worried about finding a good job with the shedule my hubby's going to be on! Does anyone know anything about/or have any experience with the CDC at Nellis? I'm debating whether to go off base or on for Childcare.

AFWIFE
01-15-2009, 02:39 PM
I left Mildenhall just a year ago. I worked on the 53's when they were there. I know ALOT of people who went to Nellis from there when they closed the sqaudron. Seems most of them like it there. There is definitely plenty to do. If you think of anything specific you want to know, i can probably get the info for you from my friends out there. Anyway, good luck!

Thanks! That would be great. Do you have friends with little ones? I was wondering how the schools are around that area. I also wanted to know if anyone has lived in base housing there and how they liked it. ANy info would be helpful :D

AFWIFE
01-15-2009, 02:45 PM
Good to hear AFWIFE! We are also from Cali. I can't wait to be so close to my family!! I will let you know how the research on the areas go. So far I am looking at Aliante, Henderson, and Summerlin (this area is a little pricey so not sure about this one yet). I like Aliante though. My sponsor said it is nice there, he also recommended Henderson so I am looking around. He said even though the nice places are farther, the drive is worth it. I guess we will all be meeting up at Nellis. What squadron are you guys in over here at Mildenhall? if you don't mind me asking. I am in the SOG right now.

We are from the 95th. I'll have to look into Aliante. Yes close to home now, I am getting excited. When do you leave here?

imported_CV22chief
01-15-2009, 10:34 PM
Well, I finally got approved by my commander today. Now for the long wait on AFPC. Maybe they will prove me wrong and be quick? doubt it. One question though. I heard the board meets at the end of the month. Ya think my package is in on time to be considered by this months board?

jparker
01-16-2009, 01:05 AM
Well, I finally got approved by my commander today. Now for the long wait on AFPC. Maybe they will prove me wrong and be quick? doubt it. One question though. I heard the board meets at the end of the month. Ya think my package is in on time to be considered by this months board?

It only took me 25 days to get approved, so it can happen quick. The board meets the 3rd week of every month, from there they just rack and stack ya. If you have good epr's and all that it shouldnt take too long.

imported_llkeithll
01-16-2009, 03:26 AM

What is the "record time" in which all 38 FTA slots need to be filled. I guess what I am asking is when does the FY09 end and FY10 begin.

imported_llkeithll
01-16-2009, 06:11 AM
I just now officially submitted my request to retrain. Wish me luck.

JP26
01-16-2009, 08:47 AM
We are from the 95th. I'll have to look into Aliante. Yes close to home now, I am getting excited. When do you leave here?

We fly out in two weeks. My inlaws are picking us up from the airport. I cannot wait! I miss Cali way too much!!:)

Gunner7
01-16-2009, 12:18 PM
What is the "record time" in which all 38 FTA slots need to be filled. I guess what I am asking is when does the FY09 end and FY10 begin.

The FY 09 slots will stay in the advisory untill gone. Those slots are for classes that start before 01 Oct 09. I would guess it will be around June when the current 38 get filled.

AFWIFE
01-16-2009, 05:19 PM
Congrats AFwife! Nice to know there will be another like me in US/UK time warp shock this year! I'm getting so excited...we just got our tickets, we'll be there April 1st! I have a good friend who just moved away from LV last year. She's a real-estate agent( and not mil related), and has said some really good things about Aliante'. She's said if she were to buy anywhere in LV right now, it would be in Aliante'. From what I've been seeing too the houses are newer and you get a little more bang for your buck!
I'm just worried about finding a good job with the shedule my hubby's going to be on! Does anyone know anything about/or have any experience with the CDC at Nellis? I'm debating whether to go off base or on for Childcare.

I'm sure there are plenty of jobs there, but yeah their schedules are going to be hectic. Still not sure what their deployments will be like once they have finished training either. I'm not sure about day care, but I'm assuming day care will be much cheaper on base. My friend pays $520 a month and that's discounted since she has been with her provider for years now. I'm so glad we are close to their schools in Lacklin and the airframe school. I think my husband is going to drive to the airframe school that way he can come home if he gets any breaks. I was worried we'd get Mcguire or Dover which would cost too much money for him to fly home if he gets anytime off between schools. I am getting excited! I talked to a lady at Nellis and she said they have a swimming pool and they are in the process of building a water park on base for the kids. So much to do there! AND I will be loving the weather compared to here : ) I like the sunshine! Let's keep in touch. How old are/is your little ones?

AFWIFE
01-16-2009, 05:21 PM

Good luck! Stay positive :) Hopefully you'll get an answer soon.

AFWIFE
01-16-2009, 05:24 PM
We fly out in two weeks. My inlaws are picking us up from the airport. I cannot wait! I miss Cali way too much!!:)
2 weeks. Lucky you! :) I know what you mean. There is no place like Ca. So much to do. Love the weather there. Have a great time visiting with your family. I'm counting the days......

imported_jlizvic
01-17-2009, 02:37 AM
Hello everybody, last week I summited my package and ETP (exception to policy) letter. I will like to know if having a ETP letter in my package it will take longer to process? My unit is really making my retraining a living hell and I'm getting frustrated. They are even trying to get back with headquarter and stopping my AFSC from retraining/ PCS. I hope package get eval and consider quick before they get what they want.:mad:

imported_llkeithll
01-17-2009, 03:50 AM
Hello everybody, last week I summited my package and ETP (exception to policy) letter. I will like to know if having a ETP letter in my package it will take longer to process? My unit is really making my retraining a living hell and I'm getting frustrated. They are even trying to get back with headquarter and stopping my AFSC from retraining/ PCS. I hope package get eval and consider quick before they get what they want.:mad:

It really depends on what the ETP is about. If it is just about early retraining than you should not have a problem. As for your unit making it a living hell, well welcome to the club. My supervisor has been as supportive as he can get. Just bare through it and when you get the new job and orders be happy and move on.

imported_jlizvic
01-17-2009, 04:32 AM
My ETP is just requesting to move from a balance AFSC to Critical Man AFSC.

imported_llkeithll
01-17-2009, 04:48 AM
I personally don't see how that could be a huge hang up. Then again what does anybody know about this torturous process known as retraining.

Pearlrec
01-17-2009, 10:53 AM
I personally don't see how that could be a huge hang up. Then again what does anybody know about this torturous process known as retraining.

Like so many posts before, don't give up! My advise would be to have AFPC know you by voice. Call them to see where your package is every step of the way. I was even denied retraining, twice! But because I called right away, they kept sending messages to who ever was handling my package to keep reviewing it. When they denied me the second time, I called and the day after I was approved a 5. A week later it was a status 6. You get my point...it's your career, and you have the right to know where it's going!

Does anyone know how long the HH-60 school is at Kirtland? Online it says it's 93 training days, but I spoke to someone at Nellis and they said they were there for 8 months??? Thanks

JP26
01-17-2009, 05:44 PM
Like so many posts before, don't give up! My advise would be to have AFPC know you by voice. Call them to see where your package is every step of the way. I was even denied retraining, twice! But because I called right away, they kept sending messages to who ever was handling my package to keep reviewing it. When they denied me the second time, I called and the day after I was approved a 5. A week later it was a status 6. You get my point...it's your career, and you have the right to know where it's going!

Does anyone know how long the HH-60 school is at Kirtland? Online it says it's 93 training days, but I spoke to someone at Nellis and they said they were there for 8 months??? Thanks

I got my class dates for HH-60 at Kirtland. They are Aug2009 - Jan2010, so I guess its like 5 months or so. Hope that helps!:)

AFWIFE
01-18-2009, 09:41 PM
That was silly of me to assume your husband was the one that was retraining. My Hubby is in the same situation. We'll be in Vegas in Apr. but his classes dont start until June. Should be interesting, wonder what they'll make you guys do....heh heh! We're going to buy a house eventually too, but probably not until he gets done w/ the first block of the training....so Sept-Oct time frame. He's worried that if he washes out, they'll send him somewhere else and we'll be stuck this house that we've just bought. I'm really excited about the market in LV right now though, looks like the prime time to buy. I've heard the same about picking your neighborhood wisely. There have been a lot of houses built out there in the last 5 yrs.....but not all are in the best of areas.
He doesnt have a sponsor yet no. I've been telling him he should just call, but he's not listening.
The best news I've had this week, I found out that in NV if we register the tax-free car we bought over here as "military non-residents" we are exempt from paying the tax on it. There is a form you can print off from the internet, that has to be signed by your commander and submitted w/ your registration every year. Pretty easy. Looks like we'll be keeping our IL residency.....and saving $2700 in taxes! Yes sir! I guess CO is the same way also for anyone listening in.
Good luck on your house hunting!!

Hey I was wondering if you could give me the name of the website that you get the form from to have your car taxes waived. We bought our SUV here in 2006. My friend said that you can get a form from AAFES if you bought your car from them, but I'm not positive on that. What a pain, but worth it if you don't have to pay those taxes : )

Fissie
01-19-2009, 05:45 PM
Hey I was wondering if you could give me the name of the website that you get the form from to have your car taxes waived. We bought our SUV here in 2006. My friend said that you can get a form from AAFES if you bought your car from them, but I'm not positive on that. What a pain, but worth it if you don't have to pay those taxes : )

The site I was looking at is the Nevada DMV site, the page w/ the info was under the "tax" tab.

http://www.dmvnv.com/nvreg.htm#tax

The form is called: NON-RESIDENT, ACTIVE DUTY MILITARY GOVERNMENTAL SERVICES TAX EXEMPTION AFFIDAVIT , Your commander or an officer is supposed to inspect all your docs and sign it. From what it looks like you have to be a Nevada non-resident to qualify for this tax-exemption, and it is used while registering your car.

There are some other forms that you have to fill out for the US import tax (2.5% which we are exempt from b/c we're military). We got everything we needed from the Volvo dealer.
It is a pain, I'm glad Volvo has that program where they ship a car back to any dealer in the US for you. We'll be able to keep our POV here in the UK right up until we leave and still be able to pick our other car up right when we arrive in LV.

Trendkill
01-20-2009, 03:31 PM
Hi folks, just a quick note. I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel (provided I can get moved out the house and get everything else wrapped up in 2 weeks! :eek: ) and I'm ready to get on with it.

I'll be starting the Aircrew Essentials course on 6 Feb, and start BFE on 27 Feb. Anybody else here in either of those classes?

Thanks for making this thread a great place to learn, share info, and blow off steam! I think my decision to become a part of the FE community is already starting to pay off.

Gunner7
01-21-2009, 01:23 PM
My ETP is just requesting to move from a balance AFSC to Critical Man AFSC.

If you are in a 2AXXX or 2MOXX AFSC and are applying for 1A1XX you do not need a :"balanced" ETP. Retraining advisory note 520 covers this.

imported_tmckinley
01-21-2009, 08:09 PM
Good news came for me today via VMPF. My retraining application went code 5 today...now I am waiting for my dates.

For everyone that keeps running into road blocks, keep at it and dont take no for an answer. It will come thru for you.

imported_llkeithll
01-21-2009, 09:37 PM
Was it hard for everyone to get a flight physical. It seems my on base clinic only has ONE person who even schedules them and it is hard to ever catch that person. I was also wondering where I can find a copy of my EPRs. My supervisor told me he didn't have a copy of it and I am wondering if maybe it is online somewhere?

imported_tmckinley
01-21-2009, 10:47 PM
Was it hard for everyone to get a flight physical. It seems my on base clinic only has ONE person who even schedules them and it is hard to ever catch that person. I was also wondering where I can find a copy of my EPRs. My supervisor told me he didn't have a copy of it and I am wondering if maybe it is online somewhere?

If you are having trouble scheduling your flight physical talk to someone in public health, they should be able to help you. If not go to the desk for flight medicine and tell them your situation and they should be able to schedule it for you. If you keep running into trouble talk to your Shirt and get him or her involved.

Your EPR's login in to the portal and look for a link that say ARMS (automated records management system) for member. It will open another browser where your EPR's and everything else that MPF use to keep. Click on them and they will open.

skyrat77
01-22-2009, 06:15 AM
oh okay. Yeah I wrote AFPC and they told me that I have to have completed the tech school first to get the SRB. Either way I would probably pay them the amount of the SRB to get out of MX. lol. I just thought it couldn't hurt to ask. Thanks again!

In case anyone is going through this SRB dilemma right now, I just signed my contract from 2A511 TO 1A111for 6 years at the lesser 2.0 SRB. I plan on going TDY over a Combat Zone to get the Tax Free check next month. FYI it took a lot of dedication to double check and correct their paperwork. So, be careful...it is your money and career. Good luck!

skyrat77
01-22-2009, 06:32 AM
I FOUND THIS ARTICLE IN AIRMAN MAGAZINE, WHICH TALKS ABOUT SERE TRAINING. THHOUGHT YOU ALL MIGHT ENJOY!
http://www.airmanonline.af.mil/shared/media/document/AFD-081231-030.pdf

Feral01
01-22-2009, 04:55 PM
Hello everyone. Just found this site and after about 3 hours of reading all 81 pages I am finally ready to throw my information out there. I got a TON of my questions answered from the reading. A little background: active duty TSgt with 10.5 yrs in service. I have been in recruiting for going on 7 years now, just started the process of Xtraining in to the FE world. I am going to need an ETP for the Feeder AFSC, and I just had my initial retraining request denied because of my AAC 50. I am trying to work this with the Recruiting CFM. I am trying to use my chain of command but I am starting to grow restless. I know that nothing goes smooth in any process that the AF deals with. I have to retrain b/c I will have been out of my old career field for 7 years, so I am just going to keep jumping through hoops until I get what I want. Not sure if anyone has dealt with this problem before or not. Thanks for all of the great information.

TheDude
01-23-2009, 02:50 AM
Hey y'all,

I know some people that put in for retraining are luckier than others as far as how fast your paperwork gets routed and everything but, how long did it take y'all to get your CFM review done and actually have your retraining application status show up on VMPF? I submitted all my paperwork last month and it's still waiting on CFM review. There are still 39 slots open and I'm an aircraft maintainer right now, so I feel my chances are pretty good, I'm just wondering if this wait is the norm. Thanks.

Pearlrec
01-23-2009, 07:40 AM
Hey y'all,

I know some people that put in for retraining are luckier than others as far as how fast your paperwork gets routed and everything but, how long did it take y'all to get your CFM review done and actually have your retraining application status show up on VMPF? I submitted all my paperwork last month and it's still waiting on CFM review. There are still 39 slots open and I'm an aircraft maintainer right now, so I feel my chances are pretty good, I'm just wondering if this wait is the norm. Thanks.

I would give AFPC a call and just ask them the status of your package. They will put in a note (light a fire under) for the CFM to review your package. I had to do that and I got a response within a couple of days. I guess our paperwork just sits around sometimes and we have to remind them that it needs attention. It doesn't hurt to ask. Stay on em'...

Gunner7
01-23-2009, 12:38 PM

PM me with the name/# of the last person you spoke to at the hospital. I might be able to help.

imported_llkeithll
01-23-2009, 03:47 PM
PM me with the name/# of the last person you spoke to at the hospital. I might be able to help.

Hey, thanks for the offer, I think I was barking up the wrong tree. I was told now that I am supposed to go to public health and they are supposed to schedule things for me. We will see I am heading up there right now.

UPDATE:
I took my retraining paperwork up to Public Health, they also took my medical records for review and said they would Email me in about a week. They said the whole process if everything goes smooth should take eight weeks. I hate to know how long it will take if it does not go smooth...

imported_waterboy
01-23-2009, 10:33 PM
Hey all. First post in the forums.

I'll just start by happily reporting that after 10 months of what seemed like an endlessly frustrating and hopeless battle, I just got CC'd on an email from the CEA CFM that I have finally been approved. Now just waiting on vMPF to reflect acceptance and a class date. I am coming from overseas, so it shouldn't be too long before I find out what base/airframe I will be assigned to.

Just to highlight how down to the wire this was, my SQ/CC had my PALACE CHASE application on his desk and I had just completed my final interview with the ANG to be an FE with a local unit. In all honesty I think it was last-minute direct Chief-Chief coordination that made this a reality for me.

At any rate, to anyone who is discouraged about the process or is ready to give up hope--KEEP AT IT and DON'T GIVE UP. If anyone has questions about the process while it is still fresh in my mind, feel free to post or PM.

Regards,

The Waterboy

imported_flyingcrumb
01-26-2009, 01:39 AM
Just got notified that I was approved for school. Got my dates starting Aircrew Fundamentals May 8th. Just wondering if there is anybody else out there with the same start date?

imported_zalmai
01-26-2009, 06:29 AM
Ok my situation is this, please bear with me:

I began my career as a 1A8 (airborne linguist), and after completeing EAUC and DLI I was eventually reclassed because of my final proficiency raing, which was very close to the required rating. I had already obtained my top secret clearance, so when it came time to make a new dream sheet for jobs that i'd like to be reclassed into, I chose jobs that were either aircrew, or jobs that would make use of my clearance. I was even assured by my MTL and career advisor at the time that I would at the very least get something that would make use of my qualifications. I wound up getting 2W1, loading missiles on F-15's.

Needless to say, I was extremely bummed at this point, but being the kind of person I was I decided to just do the best i could at this new job and wait for my break. That was in June of 07 that I got reclassed, and I have now been doing this operationally since October of 07. I just got my 5-level on January of this year, and I earned and evaluator/instructor (Weapons Standardization, aka load Barn) position late last year while I was still a 3-lvel.
A couple of weeks ago I get an email saying that 20 new slots have opened in the 1A3 and 1A4 afsc's, and that there are still 38 slots open in the 1A1 afsc, so of course the next day I jump on this chance. After speaking with my career advisor, he was told that I would be ineligible to retrain early because I am overseas (I'm in Okinawa, and have only served 3 of my 6 years). After I let him know about my past training, he figured maybe I could get some kind of special consideration having already completed one of the tech schools (EAUC), and having obtained a TS, and form 1274 (Altitude chamber). He then emailed them again (AFPC personnel I believe), letting them know the situation, and cc'd me. I haven't heard anything back yet and it's been almost 2 weeks, so I'd like to take matters into my own hands.

I've spen a lot of time reading this post, and it's been extremely helpful. Among other research, I even printed out a copy of the 36-2626 and found nothing directly saying I was ineligible especially as a first term airman. Apparently I would need a waiver for retraining early into a chronic critical skills afsc, but is that something I would do via vmpf as well as my application? I called my career advisor the other day and it seemed like he had completely forgotten who I was (I'm aware he's a busy guy), so I want to find out what I can do on my own to get the ball rolling on this.

Sorry for the wall of text, but here's what I want to know: Considering my situation, do I realistically have a chance of being able to retrain early even though I'm overseas? If so, who do I need to talk to first? I talked to MPF and they said I should just go ahead and apply, but how do I go about the waiver situation?
Reading this post has really gotten my hopes up, so any help would be greatly appreciated. I really need to get out of this job.

imported_llkeithll
01-26-2009, 11:21 AM
Ok my situation is this, please bear with me:
Sorry for the wall of text, but here's what I want to know: Considering my situation, do I realistically have a chance of being able to retrain early even though I'm overseas? If so, who do I need to talk to first? I talked to MPF and they said I should just go ahead and apply, but how do I go about the waiver situation?
Reading this post has really gotten my hopes up, so any help would be greatly appreciated. I really need to get out of this job.

I say go for it. All that can happen is you put in a request to retrain and you get denied and have to resubmit it later. As far as a waiver situation all it should be is an exception to policy. So when you submit your Request to Retrain put in the comments "This is an exception to policy: Early Retraining"

imported_tyler88s10
01-26-2009, 11:23 PM
I say go for it. All that can happen is you put in a request to retrain and you get denied and have to resubmit it later. As far as a waiver situation all it should be is an exception to policy. So when you submit your Request to Retrain put in the comments "This is an exception to policy: Early Retraining"

yeah..the process is pretty much the same as stateside...the only difference depends on your deros. If you put in for it and get accepted they just look ahead at your deros and coencide with it so you can go from okinowa straight to your schools. dont be intimidated by the whole process. Put in for it, put in your paperwork along with a "SIMPLE" exception to policy letter and let the Portal and guys at AFPC do the rest...along with some follow up phone calls to make sure they are handling it the way they should of course. Go for it dude...the longer you wait..the farther you get from sitting in class with the rest of us future crosstraines. I leave for my schools May 22. Stay with it and soon you will be posting a class date too:)

imported_tmckinley
01-27-2009, 03:48 PM
I recieved my class dates today:
Water Survival 21 Apr
A/C fundamentals 22 May
Basic FE 12j Jun
SERE 3 Aug

Ok so i found this info and I am looking for some insight,"(Flight Physical must be current for 30 days past scheduled class completion date) (only if conducting flying training at Little Rock)."

Does this mean that if I get FE on the C-130 my physical has to be good for the 30 days after class completion? Or is the actual flight training completed at your gaining base? Thanks

c5engineer
01-28-2009, 12:27 AM
I recieved my class dates today:
Water Survival 21 Apr
A/C fundamentals 22 May
Basic FE 12j Jun
SERE 3 Aug

Ok so i found this info and I am looking for some insight,"(Flight Physical must be current for 30 days past scheduled class completion date) (only if conducting flying training at Little Rock)."

Does this mean that if I get FE on the C-130 my physical has to be good for the 30 days after class completion? Or is the actual flight training completed at your gaining base? Thanks

First, congrats!!! Second,YES. That is also applicable for any FTU where the flying training actually takes place. On 130's, 5's and a few others flying training is taught right after the academic/sim stuff by active duty/reserve cadre. I'm not sure about 10's they are a litttle different, but you'd be getting your physical at that base anyway since you usually PCS and train locally. Your 1042 is the only medical document that matters. Period! It expires on the last day of your birth month annually. I'm going from -5's to -130's so I'll be going through Little Rock on 12 May. My physical, which I just got expires on 30 November so I won't need one before I go to school. The reason that FTU's established this policy is so that flt med won't be overwhelmed by students in addition to the permanent party flyers. I've been at this 15 years and I just don't want any of you to be bitten because FTUs are sending members back home to get physicals. When you first arrive at FTU, you will be put on a medical hold by flt med and a flying hold on the ARMS by the flight management folks. The med squadron will verify your 1042 expires after your training and the HARM will verify that you have a current chamber and AO published. If you don't have a current 1042, AND your not a high ranking officer, they are going to ship you back home for a physical and may pull you out of your class. Same with the Aeronautical Order. If your HARM has not published an AO then no matter how long your 1042 is good for you can't conduct flight ops. Do not rely on people telling you this stuff. Especially with your AO. Ask if it's been published and if so ask for a copy of it. The date it's published will establish your flight pay gates and when you will have your wings permanently awarded and when you'll get your senior and chief wreath. I'm glad you got to retrain after all. It's a rewarding career field with a lot of excitement. Keep your head down, study hard and get through it. Good luck in SERE. Are you going to Fairchild and Pensacola? Now we are sending our guys to both, but that may be a 130 thing. on 5's it was either or. Of course there has been talk to remove parachutes from 130s, but I've heard this stuff before. Anyhow, good luck and if you need anything just post.

imported_tmckinley
01-28-2009, 02:12 AM
First, congrats!!! Second,YES. That is also applicable for any FTU where the flying training actually takes place. On 130's, 5's and a few others flying training is taught right after the academic/sim stuff by active duty/reserve cadre. I'm not sure about 10's they are a litttle different, but you'd be getting your physical at that base anyway since you usually PCS and train locally. Your 1042 is the only medical document that matters. Period! It expires on the last day of your birth month annually. I'm going from -5's to -130's so I'll be going through Little Rock on 12 May. My physical, which I just got expires on 30 November so I won't need one before I go to school. The reason that FTU's established this policy is so that flt med won't be overwhelmed by students in addition to the permanent party flyers. I've been at this 15 years and I just don't want any of you to be bitten because FTUs are sending members back home to get physicals. When you first arrive at FTU, you will be put on a medical hold by flt med and a flying hold on the ARMS by the flight management folks. The med squadron will verify your 1042 expires after your training and the HARM will verify that you have a current chamber and AO published. If you don't have a current 1042, AND your not a high ranking officer, they are going to ship you back home for a physical and may pull you out of your class. Same with the Aeronautical Order. If your HARM has not published an AO then no matter how long your 1042 is good for you can't conduct flight ops. Do not rely on people telling you this stuff. Especially with your AO. Ask if it's been published and if so ask for a copy of it. The date it's published will establish your flight pay gates and when you will have your wings permanently awarded and when you'll get your senior and chief wreath. I'm glad you got to retrain after all. It's a rewarding career field with a lot of excitement. Keep your head down, study hard and get through it. Good luck in SERE. Are you going to Fairchild and Pensacola? Now we are sending our guys to both, but that may be a 130 thing. on 5's it was either or. Of course there has been talk to remove parachutes from 130s, but I've heard this stuff before. Anyhow, good luck and if you need anything just post.

Since my 1042 and my flight physical expires in October, would you advise me to go ahead and get another one accomplished now or wait till I get done with SERE and then do it while I wait for my orders to my FTU? I am thinking I should go ahead and get it accomplished now while I have the time to do it.

c5engineer
01-28-2009, 03:29 AM
I see your combat survival starts in the beginning of August and will finish almost at the end of August. Your not going to go to your FTU before that for sure as you'll have just finished BFE. Given that if you start your actual flight training in September you will surely need a physical before the flying portion. Technically you can do it as early as August and be in your window so if you go back to Hill after SERE or you PCS to your permanent base as Baze did for your actual training, I'd have it done there. Just be sure to tell flt med that you will need your 1042 to not expire before your actual FTU school is completed. They should have no problem obliging you given that it is an abbreviated and needs no blood work, x-rays or anything other than a basic physical with height, weight, BP, eyes and audiology. If I wasn't going to school until say September then I would have to request my clinic do an abbreviated to comply with AETC's requirements. Your in luck if you get AWACS or 10s because they do their training locally so you could just walk into flt med and say you need a physical. If you are TDY for training no clinic is going to accomplish a physical. They get hot about that. Stay in touch so that we know what airframe you get. Your joining a small fraternity of enlisted that sit in the cockpit. I saw a manning doc for the AF that showed current FE manning at 1427 for fixed wing. It was like 0.35 % of the AF.

Pearlrec
01-28-2009, 04:42 PM
I am overseas and am getting ready to deploy one last time, so when I get back I will be outprocessing to leave in July to PCS to Nellis on the HH-60, and wanted to get done what I could before the rush when I return. From what I have heard, your losing unit has to provide all the gear for us...is there a list of items that we will need for the 60 before I PCS? I talked to my RA and he has no clue of course...thanks.

Pearlrec
01-28-2009, 07:47 PM
Nevermind about the list, I found it. But was still hoping for some insight on if someone had recieved their gear before they PCS'd as well. Let me know if there is anyone out there. Thanks.

chachikeno
01-28-2009, 08:58 PM
Pearlrec, where did you find the list?

TheDude
01-29-2009, 12:18 AM
Still waiting on that CFM review! It's been a month... could it really take much longer?! I'm trying to keep my patience, but y'all know how it is.

imported_tmckinley
01-29-2009, 02:35 AM
I see your combat survival starts in the beginning of August and will finish almost at the end of August. Your not going to go to your FTU before that for sure as you'll have just finished BFE. Given that if you start your actual flight training in September you will surely need a physical before the flying portion. Technically you can do it as early as August and be in your window so if you go back to Hill after SERE or you PCS to your permanent base as Baze did for your actual training, I'd have it done there. Just be sure to tell flt med that you will need your 1042 to not expire before your actual FTU school is completed. They should have no problem obliging you given that it is an abbreviated and needs no blood work, x-rays or anything other than a basic physical with height, weight, BP, eyes and audiology. If I wasn't going to school until say September then I would have to request my clinic do an abbreviated to comply with AETC's requirements. Your in luck if you get AWACS or 10s because they do their training locally so you could just walk into flt med and say you need a physical. If you are TDY for training no clinic is going to accomplish a physical. They get hot about that. Stay in touch so that we know what airframe you get. Your joining a small fraternity of enlisted that sit in the cockpit. I saw a manning doc for the AF that showed current FE manning at 1427 for fixed wing. It was like 0.35 % of the AF.

So I went by flight med today and talked to the NCOIC, he has been real helpfull. I told him what was going on with my physical expiring in October, along with the 1042. He told me That He will just have me do a flight PHA in March-April time frame, this will not only get me on my yearly cycle for my PHA's but the flight surgeron can extend my Physical for two more years once the PHA is done. So the PHA will be the appreviated physical.. So hopefully this issue is done with and I wont have to worry about it any more. Now as long as I can get into flight school and have this expre 30 days after graduation I think I will be good.

Pearlrec
01-29-2009, 04:33 PM
Pearlrec, where did you find the list?

https://etca.randolph.af.mil/

Click on the link and choose AETC at the bottom. Once in, then go to the courses that you will be taking. They have all of them, from BFE to SERE to your specific airframe course. It will either list what you need on that site or it will give you another link to follow. That should be it. Any other questions, let the forum know, seems someone has gone through it all.

c5engineer
01-29-2009, 04:34 PM
I just know what I've done my entire career including what I've done to now. I just had a talk with the doc because I needed a new 1042 since I had a physical done elsewhere and my base flt med needs to cut the 1042 locally. If I had this conversation before then I'd have asked the flt doc and the med tech. I know what I quoted you in an earlier post is true and it comes straight from the AFI governing flt physicals. As long as some flt doc is going to automatically clear you for two years and sign a new 1042 it's his ass and not yours. If that happens you'll be good to go. As long as the 1042 is good for 30 days past your expected grad date you are in there!!! I'd love to only do a physical every two years instead of every year. Not that it's hard or I"m worried about my health, it's just a hassle. Where I"m at they even draw blood on an abbreviated for HIV and other stuff because of the constant deployments. Apparently it's in a reg that certain tests have to be performed to ensure that deployable assets are ready to go. Since I love going to the sandbox (call me crazy) I provide them whatever they like. Good luck!

Fenix1442
01-30-2009, 03:08 AM
I got my wings on Jan 28th. I know it has been a looooong time since I last posted on this forum. My original assignment was C-130's at Little Rock but then got bumped up to my first assignment pick which is HH-60's at Moody AFB. Talk about dumb luck.

Word of advice for Aircrew Fundamentals and BFE; study and help your fellow classmates. You may be great at remembering words but not so hot on the TOLD.

Good luck to everyone.

imported_DAKOTANATIVE
01-30-2009, 06:11 AM
It would help if you have maintenance experience on heavies. Not much need for FEs on fighters.... Really, it should be pretty easy. In 22 years, I never saw someone from my org turned down.

imported_zalmai
02-02-2009, 06:32 AM
I'm having trouble submitting a request/application via vmpf. It redirects me to the afpc site and asks me to login. Once I do, it gives me the drop-doen menus and I select Career planning > Retraining, then click search (assuming the page fully loads, which is 50/50), and it takes me back to the login screen. The same happens with any option from the retraining home menu. Any ideas?

BigBaze
02-02-2009, 09:27 PM
Just had my first flight on the KC10 last week, AWESOME! Flew down the coast and refueled some F15E's. orry for not responding more often, I am not able to get on this site from my home computer for some reason.

TheDude
02-02-2009, 11:26 PM
What's the longest y'all had to wait for your CFM review? I'm at a little longer than a month... maybe this has to do with me not being in a feeder AFSC. Let me know!

dub13
02-03-2009, 12:52 AM
Just had my first flight on the KC10 last week, AWESOME! Flew down the coast and refueled some F15E's. orry for not responding more often, I am not able to get on this site from my home computer for some reason.

That's cool man. I've still yet to fly. I don't know if it's the same for you but we have to do 6 preflights before our first flight... I've been over in the FTU here for over three weeks now and still have three preflights left. Blahhh

imported_tmckinley
02-03-2009, 02:41 AM
So I was going thru all my training rips today and looking up info about each of the courses and now I have a question. For SERE you have to have their medical form, on the form it says it cannot be completed more than 6 weeks prior to training. I will be in the middle of BFE during that time. I come back to Hill for 3 days before going to SERE. Will that three days be enough to get this form done? If not on the form it talks about water survival, does that mean I can complete this for before I go to water survival and it will be good for SERE? Thanks

Fenix1442
02-03-2009, 03:25 AM
When done with BFE go to your flight surgeon with all med records and med flight records from the chamber. They will look you over and fill out the required form for SERE. I'm bringing my SERE orders just in case they do no realize the small amount of time I have before I fly out. Also take all of your med records with you to SERE just in case they need them for some reason besides their SERE med form.

I have to do this on Tues since I got class very soon. Hope this helps.

imported_TJC78
02-04-2009, 03:24 PM
What's the longest y'all had to wait for your CFM review? I'm at a little longer than a month... maybe this has to do with me not being in a feeder AFSC. Let me know!

Mine took about 2 weeks from the time my commander approved my app and forwarded it to AFPC to the time it was reviewed by the CFM, which was yesterday. However, I'm in a feeder AFSC, so YMMV. One thing I have learned is to stay on top of those people at AFPC. Every time you call the contact center they update your My Stuff, which moves you to the top of the cue for whoever is assigned to your case. At least that's how it's been with me. I'm currently in status 3 so hopefully the ball will keep rolling quickly.

imported_TJC78
02-04-2009, 03:39 PM
I'm having trouble submitting a request/application via vmpf. It redirects me to the afpc site and asks me to login. Once I do, it gives me the drop-doen menus and I select Career planning > Retraining, then click search (assuming the page fully loads, which is 50/50), and it takes me back to the login screen. The same happens with any option from the retraining home menu. Any ideas?

I don't know which route you're taking to get to AFPC, but you shouldn't have to sign in. Here's what I do-
Sign in to Air Force Portal > vMPF > Self-Service Actions > Request Retraining. It will redirect you to AFPC, and at that point, you should see a list on the left side of the screen that has a link to Submit/Review Retraining Request. Everything from there is self-explanatory. Hope that helps.

imported_TJC78
02-04-2009, 04:01 PM
I have a question that I haven't found an answer to, maybe someone can shed a little light on the matter. I received notification yesterday that my app has been reviewed and is awaiting final approval from the AFPC Business Process Owner (I guess it's not going in front of a board because I'm applying under NCORP). Anyways, when I went to vMPF I noticed I had a suspense telling me to update my VRED, and when I clicked "Details", it said something like "Congratulations on your new assignment! You need to update your records." I double checked the Assignments link and of course there is no assignment listed, so I'm confused. Has this happened to anyone else?

NinjaVanisher
02-05-2009, 12:21 AM
:confused: So here's my whole dilemma:
My DEROS is December, which means I'll have to wait for the FY '10 Retraining Advisory. Unfortunately, that also makes March my last month to be in my retraining window. I'm hoping that there are still plenty of jobs when the new listing comes out. People keep saying that there are always openings, so I'm hoping that that statement stays true. Unfortunately, if I don't get approved, I'll have very little time for the transition into the civilian world. Termal leave plus house hunting PTDY will have me leaving here sometime in August. Once I actually submit the request for retraining, how long does it take before I get a response telling me I can submit the actual application? Plus, we no longer have a CSS, so is there some other email address I should put in the request? Also, with the time it takes to obtain a flight physical, I'll most likely be out of my window. AFPC told me that as long as I submit my application, it will just be pending for the flight physical. Anyone have any helpful input or advice? I really don't want to get screwed out of this. I want to stay in the AF, but not as a maintainer. The b/s factor is just too much after 6+ years. I'm sure there's always going to be some b/s, but something tells me it's a whole other world with FE.

imported_tyler88s10
02-05-2009, 05:11 AM
:confused: So here's my whole dilemma:
My DEROS is December, which means I'll have to wait for the FY '10 Retraining Advisory. Unfortunately, that also makes March my last month to be in my retraining window. I'm hoping that there are still plenty of jobs when the new listing comes out. People keep saying that there are always openings, so I'm hoping that that statement stays true. Unfortunately, if I don't get approved, I'll have very little time for the transition into the civilian world. Termal leave plus house hunting PTDY will have me leaving here sometime in August. Once I actually submit the request for retraining, how long does it take before I get a response telling me I can submit the actual application? Plus, we no longer have a CSS, so is there some other email address I should put in the request? Also, with the time it takes to obtain a flight physical, I'll most likely be out of my window. AFPC told me that as long as I submit my application, it will just be pending for the flight physical. Anyone have any helpful input or advice? I really don't want to get screwed out of this. I want to stay in the AF, but not as a maintainer. The b/s factor is just too much after 6+ years. I'm sure there's always going to be some b/s, but something tells me it's a whole other world with FE.

Just put your packet in now....thats what the "EXCEPTION TO POLICY" Letter is for. I got accepted at my 3 yr mark and im a 6 yr enlistee. The exception to policy is for retraining outside your normal window..but at the same time it uses your crosstraining window early so you wont be able to apply again until you reenlist. Dont worry about quotas...put it in and you will have just a good a chance as everyone one else.They need them. At the most it takes about 3 months...but since they need them like crazy...its averaging about a month. Dont worry about putting in a CSS address..just put your commanders email in the box instead. He wont know the difference..cuz AFPC forwards it to his address. So for all he knows it came from them. When you go to put in your request for your 5 AFSC's put in the comments box "THIS IS AN EXCEPTION TO POLICY REQUEST". The request takes about 10 days to let you know if you can apply.If you need help with how to go about it..look up MSgt. Bergin at the pentagon in your global email. If you cant find him...shoot me a message privatly and i will give you his information. Or if you have any other questions feel free to shoot me a message. Good Luck Dude

Gunner7
02-05-2009, 03:37 PM
Just put your packet in now....thats what the "EXCEPTION TO POLICY" Letter is for. I got accepted at my 3 yr mark and im a 6 yr enlistee. The exception to policy is for retraining outside your normal window..but at the same time it uses your crosstraining window early so you wont be able to apply again until you reenlist. Dont worry about quotas...put it in and you will have just a good a chance as everyone one else.They need them. At the most it takes about 3 months...but since they need them like crazy...its averaging about a month. Dont worry about putting in a CSS address..just put your commanders email in the box instead. He wont know the difference..cuz AFPC forwards it to his address. So for all he knows it came from them. When you go to put in your request for your 5 AFSC's put in the comments box "THIS IS AN EXCEPTION TO POLICY REQUEST". The request takes about 10 days to let you know if you can apply.If you need help with how to go about it..look up MSgt. Bergin at the pentagon in your global email. If you cant find him...shoot me a message privatly and i will give you his information. Or if you have any other questions feel free to shoot me a message. Good Luck Dude

AFPC will not accept the ETP until the FY 10 slots drop in March. You can submit an ETP to retrain outside of your window (within 9 mos of DEROS) due to the FY constraint. If you do list the CC as the recipient of the retraining approval make sure you follow up wwith him on its timely completion.

TheDude
02-05-2009, 10:14 PM
I noticed that 12 slots just vanished off the retraining advisory today! Congrats to y'all that just got accepted!

imported_hogrigger
02-06-2009, 06:23 AM
I'm popping my forum cherry here, but I want to thank everyone for being so informative on this career field. It has helped answer a number of questions and I thank everyone for sharing. I do have one question, it seems like everyone has gotten all there class dates at one time. I only have Flight Fundy's scheduled for 18 Sept and thats it. Is that normal? Shouldn't I have all my other class dates as well?

BigBaze
02-06-2009, 10:52 PM
That's cool man. I've still yet to fly. I don't know if it's the same for you but we have to do 6 preflights before our first flight... I've been over in the FTU here for over three weeks now and still have three preflights left. Blahhh

They fly you within your first week there, you do a preflight there, they assume you are pretty proficient on them after comiing from your sim course. I have like 4 flights and fly again on Monday and Thursday. Mostly dry contacts on C17's from here or Dover but we get the occasional C5, and I have refueled F15E's and F16's. We have a KC135 ANG wing here so we do a lot of receiver work on them, and then do the -10 on -10 where we take turns being the tanker/receiver, not delivering any gas though. We were doing touch and goes into Pittsburgh the other day, was cool, flew over the stadium.

Kegler
02-07-2009, 06:04 PM
I'm popping my forum cherry here, but I want to thank everyone for being so informative on this career field. It has helped answer a number of questions and I thank everyone for sharing. I do have one question, it seems like everyone has gotten all there class dates at one time. I only have Flight Fundy's scheduled for 18 Sept and thats it. Is that normal? Shouldn't I have all my other class dates as well?

Hog...the rest of your classes will flow when the FY10 classes are loaded into the system. You are in the last FY09 class for fundamentals. Remember Oct starts the new FY.

Pearlrec
02-07-2009, 10:38 PM

Hey Hogrigger, I'm in the same boat as you, only fundy's loaded so far. I guess we will be in the same fundy's class though, my fundy's class is Sept 18th as well. I am stationed in England and am PCSing to Nellis in July. Shoot me out an email if you want.

imported_hogrigger
02-08-2009, 03:58 AM
Thanks for the replies...so when will I see those classes, not till Oct right? So does that mean I go to my fundy's in Sept, then back to my base to go back to hit the rest of classes? Doesn't seem like a very common sense ordeal but then again....

imported_hogrigger
02-08-2009, 04:02 AM
Pearlrec...nice glad to hear someone else in the same class...i'm in Korea right now, and there is another guy here that is going to be with us too, I guess. I don't know about you but I am excited as hell...and I don't have a follow on yet, I leave here in Aug, so I'm cutting everything pretty close. All my stuff is in Tucson, was stationed at DM, so I have to get that too.

imported_TJC78
02-08-2009, 03:55 PM

How long did it take you to receive your status 5? I had my application reviewed and turned over to the AFPC Business Process Owner last Monday, I thought it only took a few days for him to review it and make an approval/disapproval decision. Maybe I'll hear something back this week.

imported_hogrigger
02-08-2009, 04:56 PM
I had mine submitted on a Thursday (State's time, I'm in Korea right now) and I logged in the following week Friday (my local time) and it had changed to a 5. It took another week or two for it to go to 6. If you are all the way up to the Business Process Owner, I would say you were ok...I would wait till about Tuesday and then call, and ask. keep your head up...

imported_TJC78
02-08-2009, 05:09 PM
Yeah I figured I'd call Monday afternoon or Tuesday morning if I haven't gotten anything back by then. We might end up being in class together, I don't know if they schedule stateside and overseas personnel differently. September is quite a long way away but I'll take whatever I get.

imported_hogrigger
02-09-2009, 07:08 AM
yeah September is far, but it's something to look forward to...let us (forum) know what you find out

BigBaze
02-09-2009, 08:40 AM
I hope all you guys and gals are doing well in class, I have my 5th flight here in a few hours, and what i can tell you is that this is the best decision I ever made in crosstraining, and all the waiting, work and BS was every bit worth it! I love flying on the KC10, and I haven't even started flying cool places yet:)

imported_hogrigger
02-09-2009, 09:53 AM
I hope that I do well...I'm a little nervous about it but really excited. So you like the KC-10 that much? I want to work for AFSOC and be gone doing all that "stuff" all the time. I want to do it all on 60's but who knows...

imported_TJC78
02-09-2009, 03:01 PM
I hope that I do well...I'm a little nervous about it but really excited. So you like the KC-10 that much? I want to work for AFSOC and be gone doing all that "stuff" all the time. I want to do it all on 60's but who knows...

I'm in AFSOC right now as a crew chief. We do some pretty cool stuff, but after 5 years I'm ready for a change. I'm shooting for the C-5, KC-10, or HH-60, all for various reasons. Just my luck though since I'm at Hurby Field they'll send me to work on the MC-130P at Eglin. Guess only time will tell.

imported_hogrigger
02-09-2009, 03:11 PM
I'm in AFSOC right now as a crew chief. We do some pretty cool stuff, but after 5 years I'm ready for a change. I'm shooting for the C-5, KC-10, or HH-60, all for various reasons. Just my luck though since I'm at Hurby Field they'll send me to work on the MC-130P at Eglin. Guess only time will tell.

Yeah I use to work the U-2 way back in the day as a crew chief and I've missed that life/world ever since I was forced off. I'm happy with the A-10 world and all but, I think you may know what I mean. I don't have any reason to stay home so that's why I would like to get back into "that life" and be gone all the time, collecting....everyone has said that they send you back to the base you came from, so who knows you might be right back there like you said. I left DM, I don't have a follow-on right now but I fear since my stuff is there, that's where I'll end back at.

BigBaze
02-09-2009, 10:26 PM

I put in for MC130P and didn't get them, I was at Tyndall down the road from Eglin which woulda been nice, but I just love the -10, very FE friendly aircraft, we fly to a lot of cool places, for someone pushing 30 it is a great aircraft, I woulda loved C130 or HH60 at a younger age when I was wild and crazy lol. My roommate I fly with is an ex C5 engineer, there is an actual C5 eng who posts on this thread so if you want advice on that big bird ask him. If AFSOC is your thing, more power to you, put in for what you want and hope for the best!

c5engineer
02-10-2009, 02:40 AM
I was a -5 engineer for 15 years and now I"m cross training to the C-130H2. I loved the C-5 mission. I have been to over a hundred countries, supported every contingency since Desert Storm and carried some really cool stuff. Nobody can carry an Abrahms with it's full double plate, barrel, night vision optics and other options. Nor the Navy Seals Mark V boat. Carried the deep submergence rescue vehicle Avalon (again only the 5). I loved air refueling and the long legs. Presidential support you name it. I even became an instructor, which doesn't pay more but is damn rewarding!!

Now I'm in the process of switching to the 130 by choice. I want that mission. Low to the ground, special tactics, NVG's, dirt strip landings!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm even more excited to finish my career on the 130. I almost took a 10 slot at McGuire. I was interviewing a couple of days after 9/11 so instead got activated with my old unit.

It's worth it no matter what frame you get. They all play important roles. I laugh when I hear my new fellow 130 engineers bash the 5, but then I really get a kick out of the fact that they have to take five days to get into the desert and will never see some really cool shit. Of course they see different kinds. If you can ever move around in your career I'd recommend it. I always envied guys who'd come to us from other frames and now I"m that guy. Good luck to you all and if anyone has 5 or 130 questions holler out and I"ll be glad to answer.

imported_CV22chief
02-10-2009, 03:57 AM

I'm at hurby also. I've worked on 60's as a crewchief and I would love being an FE on them. they have alot of fun. I think i will have to come back to the cv's if possible though, since i just bought a house and selling it now would be a bad idea. Med. finally got my 1042 done so putting the laast of my paperwork in tomorrow. Hope i get something back quick!

imported_TJC78
02-10-2009, 05:38 AM
I'm at hurby also. I've worked on 60's as a crewchief and I would love being an FE on them. they have alot of fun. I think i will have to come back to the cv's if possible though, since i just bought a house and selling it now would be a bad idea. Med. finally got my 1042 done so putting the laast of my paperwork in tomorrow. Hope i get something back quick!

I'd say it's a safe bet that you'll be back on the CV-22. From what I hear, they only take prior CV-22 crew chiefs or FEs with 500 hours, and the AF won't PCS you if they don't have to.

Not sure how your commander is, but mine took about 3 days to approve my app and forward it to AFPC. I got mine in right before we merged with you guys (I'm in the 15th AMU). From there, it took about 2 weeks for AFPC to review my app and forward it to the BPO. They said it takes about a week for him to make the final approval decision, so hopefully I'll find out within the next day or 2 if it's been approved. Good luck man, and if you don't hear anything from AFPC after a couple of weeks, stay on their ass! Sometimes they like to sit on paperwork and all it takes is a phone call to get the ball rolling again.

imported_TJC78
02-10-2009, 05:46 AM
I was a -5 engineer for 15 years and now I"m cross training to the C-130H2. I loved the C-5 mission. I have been to over a hundred countries, supported every contingency since Desert Storm and carried some really cool stuff. Nobody can carry an Abrahms with it's full double plate, barrel, night vision optics and other options. Nor the Navy Seals Mark V boat. Carried the deep submergence rescue vehicle Avalon (again only the 5). I loved air refueling and the long legs. Presidential support you name it. I even became an instructor, which doesn't pay more but is damn rewarding!!

Now I'm in the process of switching to the 130 by choice. I want that mission. Low to the ground, special tactics, NVG's, dirt strip landings!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm even more excited to finish my career on the 130. I almost took a 10 slot at McGuire. I was interviewing a couple of days after 9/11 so instead got activated with my old unit.

It's worth it no matter what frame you get. They all play important roles. I laugh when I hear my new fellow 130 engineers bash the 5, but then I really get a kick out of the fact that they have to take five days to get into the desert and will never see some really cool shit. Of course they see different kinds. If you can ever move around in your career I'd recommend it. I always envied guys who'd come to us from other frames and now I"m that guy. Good luck to you all and if anyone has 5 or 130 questions holler out and I"ll be glad to answer.

I've heard from several sources that C-5s go to some really cool places and tend to break for weeks at a time in the best spots. Without violating OPSEC, can you elaborate on that? Do Travis birds go mostly to Asia and Dover birds mostly to Europe? I already know I want to be on the -5, just trying to figure out the better base to go to.

imported_zalmai
02-10-2009, 06:42 AM
Hey guys, congrats on hearing more of you have gotten approved!

I'm still stuck, and slots are disappearing. It's been a month since i talked to my career advisor and he sent an email to afpc and I haven't heard anything back. I talked to mpf and they said go ahead and apply anyway, so I tried putting in an application via vmpf. i can't get anywhere though, it asks me to login and I do successfully, but once i click on retraining, it asks me to log in again, and this just keep repeating itself. I emailed afpc describing my problem and they told me to call them, so I tried, but the number they gave me never picks up. I emailed them again saying that I couldn't reach them over the phone (this was a week ago) and haven't heard from them since. Is there anything else I can try, or anyone else I should talk to? I don't want to let this pass me by.

imported_TJC78
02-10-2009, 07:19 AM
Hey guys, congrats on hearing more of you have gotten approved!

I'm still stuck, and slots are disappearing. It's been a month since i talked to my career advisor and he sent an email to afpc and I haven't heard anything back. I talked to mpf and they said go ahead and apply anyway, so I tried putting in an application via vmpf. i can't get anywhere though, it asks me to login and I do successfully, but once i click on retraining, it asks me to log in again, and this just keep repeating itself. I emailed afpc describing my problem and they told me to call them, so I tried, but the number they gave me never picks up. I emailed them again saying that I couldn't reach them over the phone (this was a week ago) and haven't heard from them since. Is there anything else I can try, or anyone else I should talk to? I don't want to let this pass me by.

Well first of all, are you requesting to retrain, or has your request been approved and you are now trying to submit a retraining application?

I'm going to assume that you haven't put in the request yet, so if that's the case, here's what you do:

First, log into Air Force Portal, then click on the vMPF link. Go to Self-Service Applications, then Retraining. Then you should see a link to Request Retraining, which should take you to the AFPC website. Then you should see an area to select up to 8 AFSCs that you would like to be considered for. If it's still not working, you should be able to call the Contact Center at 1 800 616 3775 and select options 1,1,2. You might have to hold for a few mins but someone will answer. Hope that helps, any other questions don't hesitate to ask.

imported_hogrigger
02-10-2009, 09:33 AM
I put in for MC130P and didn't get them, I was at Tyndall down the road from Eglin which woulda been nice, but I just love the -10, very FE friendly aircraft, we fly to a lot of cool places, for someone pushing 30 it is a great aircraft, I woulda loved C130 or HH60 at a younger age when I was wild and crazy lol. My roommate I fly with is an ex C5 engineer, there is an actual C5 eng who posts on this thread so if you want advice on that big bird ask him. If AFSOC is your thing, more power to you, put in for what you want and hope for the best!

I'm actually the big 3-0 in September while I'm at fundy's...lol But, still excited about doing it. I was ready the other entries and your right all airframes sound fun and have there own little perks about them. I shouldn't be to picky I guess, as long as I'm with an operational unit...still sorta wish for -60's and AFSOC but hey i've defintely gotten a good feeling about them all now, so thanks for the posts. I would love though if anybody wants to either pm me or whatever, experience's of airframes that they have flown on.

imported_flyingcrumb
02-10-2009, 01:00 PM
Posted a little while ago that i had class dates just wondering if anybody else has the same. I start Fund. on May 8th., then BFE on May 29th. LAst to Sere on July 17th. Pretty excited to get started. I see there a few of us from the Eglin area. I'm in the test wing. Hope I run into some familiar faces somewhere along the line.

imported_TJC78
02-10-2009, 02:57 PM
Posted a little while ago that i had class dates just wondering if anybody else has the same. I start Fund. on May 8th., then BFE on May 29th. LAst to Sere on July 17th. Pretty excited to get started. I see there a few of us from the Eglin area. I'm in the test wing. Hope I run into some familiar faces somewhere along the line.

I haven't gotten anything yet, still waiting for my "5". Hopefully will see something in the next day or 2. I'll keep everyone posted when I get a class date (assuming it gets approved, I don't see why it wouldn't).

imported_perfectfotow
02-10-2009, 05:36 PM
good luck to everybody retraining and thanks to all the FEs giving us great info on this forum. I was wondering what kind of reading material or websites that would help us get a little head start on what to expect. I don't want to get ahead of myself and learn any bad habits but would like to know more about the job. So if you have any cool video links or websites please post them.

Thanks

dub13
02-10-2009, 05:43 PM
good luck to everybody retraining and thanks to all the FEs giving us great info on this forum. I was wondering what kind of reading material or websites that would help us get a little head start on what to expect. I don't want to get ahead of myself and learn any bad habits but would like to know more about the job. So if you have any cool video links or websites please post them.

Thanks

If your trying to go C-130's here is a link I suppose.
www.heyeng.com

Also you can try and refresh your long division math. You'll be doing that in Aircrew Fundamentals

c5engineer
02-10-2009, 05:45 PM
I've heard from several sources that C-5s go to some really cool places and tend to break for weeks at a time in the best spots. Without violating OPSEC, can you elaborate on that? Do Travis birds go mostly to Asia and Dover birds mostly to Europe? I already know I want to be on the -5, just trying to figure out the better base to go to.

I can say after spending 6.5 years maintaining them and 15 years flying them that they do break. Not when they fly the crap out of them though, and follow the MEL. I have a little over 4K flying them and yes I did break several times, but when the chips were down and the mission needed done we flew. The problem is with the AMSS at different enroute stops. I have found that the maintainers take a course, but have no real experience and then don't listen to the guys who have fixed them for years and flown them. Example: Hickam. We land and they turn a small T-tail leak into a two week nightmare and our crewchief's could do nothing because it's the AMSS policy that enroute maintainers not be overidden by overzealous crewchiefs, whether their breaking it or trying to push the mission. During Afghanistan I never broke in the desert or anywhere else because I pushed the MEL.

As for cool places, I've carried a lot of odd looking people into airfields without identifiers and lots of cool equipment. I've done humanitarian in Rhwanda, which took us to several areas of Africa and we crew rested in some fabulous resort hotels. I've done presidential support to Indonesia and China, carried soviet fighter planes to Nellis, one of my buddies carried dolphins back from the Persian Gulf. The only sorry part of my time in the 5 was heading to Dover with HR's for the mortuary there. I'll never forget one time carrying five guys home. They got their ceremony and afterwards I walked back to talk with some loads about outbound stuff and noticed a sixth casket sitting on a pallet with some other shit. When I asked they showed me the placard which stated "no honors" apparently you can fight for your country, but if it gets too much to handle and you off yourself you don't get shit.

As for who goes where. You tend to see more Travis birds out in PACAF, but since 9/11 it's a crapshoot. Lots of Dover birds going around the world. I've been around the world twice. Once going east and another going west. With air refueling you can go just about anywhere, but when your behind a tanker three times in one leg (and the leg is over 17 hours) it can get pretty taxing.

Sorry about being long winded, there is just so much stuff I did in the five and so many places I went. It's actually easier to list where I haven't been, but I can bet someone in the 5 has been there. If I had two bases near my town equidistant and one had 5's and the other 130's it would be a tough call. As it is the nearest 5 base to me is 6 hours away at Wright Pat and that's goat rope of a conversion from 141's to 5's.

Just don't listen to the negatives because they really aren't there. No one else in the inventory is going to take off stateside at 769000 lbs at night and punch a tanker to get some serious cargo into Afghanistan. Especially not the 17, we had to pick up their slack at Diego Garcia:)

c5engineer
02-10-2009, 05:48 PM
If you are going to 130's Hey eng is a great website. I actually got handed a lot of study material off the website by Stan/Eval because we have H2's and the E's are a little different.

imported_TJC78
02-10-2009, 06:12 PM
I can say after spending 6.5 years maintaining them and 15 years flying them that they do break. Not when they fly the crap out of them though, and follow the MEL. I have a little over 4K flying them and yes I did break several times, but when the chips were down and the mission needed done we flew. The problem is with the AMSS at different enroute stops. I have found that the maintainers take a course, but have no real experience and then don't listen to the guys who have fixed them for years and flown them. Example: Hickam. We land and they turn a small T-tail leak into a two week nightmare and our crewchief's could do nothing because it's the AMSS policy that enroute maintainers not be overidden by overzealous crewchiefs, whether their breaking it or trying to push the mission. During Afghanistan I never broke in the desert or anywhere else because I pushed the MEL.

As for cool places, I've carried a lot of odd looking people into airfields without identifiers and lots of cool equipment. I've done humanitarian in Rhwanda, which took us to several areas of Africa and we crew rested in some fabulous resort hotels. I've done presidential support to Indonesia and China, carried soviet fighter planes to Nellis, one of my buddies carried dolphins back from the Persian Gulf. The only sorry part of my time in the 5 was heading to Dover with HR's for the mortuary there. I'll never forget one time carrying five guys home. They got their ceremony and afterwards I walked back to talk with some loads about outbound stuff and noticed a sixth casket sitting on a pallet with some other shit. When I asked they showed me the placard which stated "no honors" apparently you can fight for your country, but if it gets too much to handle and you off yourself you don't get shit.

As for who goes where. You tend to see more Travis birds out in PACAF, but since 9/11 it's a crapshoot. Lots of Dover birds going around the world. I've been around the world twice. Once going east and another going west. With air refueling you can go just about anywhere, but when your behind a tanker three times in one leg (and the leg is over 17 hours) it can get pretty taxing.

Sorry about being long winded, there is just so much stuff I did in the five and so many places I went. It's actually easier to list where I haven't been, but I can bet someone in the 5 has been there. If I had two bases near my town equidistant and one had 5's and the other 130's it would be a tough call. As it is the nearest 5 base to me is 6 hours away at Wright Pat and that's goat rope of a conversion from 141's to 5's.

Just don't listen to the negatives because they really aren't there. No one else in the inventory is going to take off stateside at 769000 lbs at night and punch a tanker to get some serious cargo into Afghanistan. Especially not the 17, we had to pick up their slack at Diego Garcia:)

No worries, I'll take as much info and "life stories" as I can get. :)

I'm a crew chief on the MC-130H right now. I like the missions we do as AFSOC, but it's time for a change. I won't be upset if I get put on 130s, but I'm really hoping to get on the -5. Anywho, if you feel like divulging anymore info or experience, I'm all ears.

imported_waterboy
02-10-2009, 07:19 PM
Yikes. Okay so I just got off the phone with the Contact Center and am way more confused than when I called. I went code 3 on the 22nd of January right after an email from the CEA CFM saying that I was accepted to FE retraining. I have been waiting ever since to see the change to code 5/6. When I called today to get an update, the lady I talked to said two things that were contrary to what I had been told so far:

1) She said that I hadn't yet been "approved", and that I may not be approved at all. She said that the CEA CFM only makes initial approval, not the final decision. I think she may be wrong, especially considering I am coming from aircrew going to aircrew.

2) She said that my package was "on the bottom of the pile" and that it may take 90-120 says for a class date? This is contrary to what I have been seeing here from others.

I am NCORP and coming from overseas with a DEROS of August 09, if that helps with an answer. . .

dub13
02-10-2009, 08:08 PM
To Waterboy: No worries man it took me a month and a half to go from Status 3 to 5. It has to go to some board. I think it's usually the last week of each month or something. And then when I was Status 5 it took four days I believe to get Status 6 with class dates. So the waiting game sucks but most of us who had gotten accepted went through all this

imported_CV22chief
02-10-2009, 10:50 PM
I'd say it's a safe bet that you'll be back on the CV-22. From what I hear, they only take prior CV-22 crew chiefs or FEs with 500 hours, and the AF won't PCS you if they don't have to.

Not sure how your commander is, but mine took about 3 days to approve my app and forward it to AFPC. I got mine in right before we merged with you guys (I'm in the 15th AMU). From there, it took about 2 weeks for AFPC to review my app and forward it to the BPO. They said it takes about a week for him to make the final approval decision, so hopefully I'll find out within the next day or 2 if it's been approved. Good luck man, and if you don't hear anything from AFPC after a couple of weeks, stay on their ass! Sometimes they like to sit on paperwork and all it takes is a phone call to get the ball rolling again.

You're probably right about coming back here. It will probably be better that way anyway. I turned in my paperwork today and i'm a status 3 now. I called AFPC as soon as i was done submitting it. Vmpf is already updated to a 3 so guess i'll wait and see how quick it goes thru. seems prettyeasy so far the worst part was waiting on the clinic...took them 3 months to get my 1042 done.

BigBaze
02-10-2009, 11:04 PM
To Waterboy: No worries man it took me a month and a half to go from Status 3 to 5. It has to go to some board. I think it's usually the last week of each month or something. And then when I was Status 5 it took four days I believe to get Status 6 with class dates. So the waiting game sucks but most of us who had gotten accepted went through all this

The board meets the third week of each month, and the results come out around the time the next board meets the mext month. It sucks waiting but the rewards are worth it, I can't get enough of this job

NinjaVanisher
02-10-2009, 11:16 PM
I am getting really really antsy about the FY '10 listings getting released. I just want to apply ASAP. Say I get approved for my request...is there any way to help speed along the Flight Physical? I don't want to have to wait around for it for so long that I end up hitting my terminal leave/house & job hunting PTDY. UGH...why do things have to revolve around the damn FY and DEROS?! I'm gonna be checking AFPC everyday until that list drops!

kenton
02-10-2009, 11:24 PM
I am getting really really antsy about the FY '10 listings getting released. I just want to apply ASAP. Say I get approved for my request...is there any way to help speed along the Flight Physical? I don't want to have to wait around for it for so long that I end up hitting my terminal leave/house & job hunting PTDY. UGH...why do things have to revolve around the damn FY and DEROS?! I'm gonna be checking AFPC everyday until that list drops!

Im in the same boat as you.... Waiting on FY10 #s to come out. I will have to submit a waiver for retraining outside my window so that will stall me for a month or so. My Physical is complete as of October 08... I will turn that in and see if it slides by. Im not sure about FE... but I think its the same for all flight physicals... A friend of mine went flight attendant and they had her package turned in awaiting physical. So thats a possibility.

imported_TJC78
02-11-2009, 05:10 AM
Yikes. Okay so I just got off the phone with the Contact Center and am way more confused than when I called. I went code 3 on the 22nd of January right after an email from the CEA CFM saying that I was accepted to FE retraining. I have been waiting ever since to see the change to code 5/6. When I called today to get an update, the lady I talked to said two things that were contrary to what I had been told so far:

1) She said that I hadn't yet been "approved", and that I may not be approved at all. She said that the CEA CFM only makes initial approval, not the final decision. I think she may be wrong, especially considering I am coming from aircrew going to aircrew.

2) She said that my package was "on the bottom of the pile" and that it may take 90-120 says for a class date? This is contrary to what I have been seeing here from others.

I am NCORP and coming from overseas with a DEROS of August 09, if that helps with an answer. . .

If you are applying under NCORP as a second-termer, your package doesn't meet a board, it goes to the AFPC Business Process Owner. This is one person who makes the final approval, and then it is put in the hands of SMSgt Doss, the FE Functional, who schedules your class dates. You being overseas may have an impact on how quickly (or slowly) your app gets approved. Also, as it's been said before, overseas folks get their assignments and PCS before beginning the courses, so that's probably a big factor in this whole equation too. Keep your head up man, I've been waiting forever too. We'll get there eventually.

imported_TJC78
02-11-2009, 05:19 AM
You're probably right about coming back here. It will probably be better that way anyway. I turned in my paperwork today and i'm a status 3 now. I called AFPC as soon as i was done submitting it. Vmpf is already updated to a 3 so guess i'll wait and see how quick it goes thru. seems prettyeasy so far the worst part was waiting on the clinic...took them 3 months to get my 1042 done.

Wow, that was quick. Did you already have the application submitted and approved by the commander and just have to update the app with your flight physical? I was told that I couldn't submit the app without all the required paperwork first. Anyhow, good deal. Are you an FTA or second-termer? If you're a second-termer under NCORP and get your 5 before me, I'm gonna be pissed! lol

Yeah those morons at Medical Standards screwed me. I hadn't heard anything back in almost 2 months so I called and the Airman told me "Oh, your paperwork somehow got moved to the bottom of the pile and I overlooked that I need to get your standing blood pressure to complete your 1042." I just about flew off the handle! That's when I learned that you have to stay on top of things and keep bugging the crap out of everyone.

imported_zalmai
02-11-2009, 06:05 AM
Well first of all, are you requesting to retrain, or has your request been approved and you are now trying to submit a retraining application?

I'm going to assume that you haven't put in the request yet, so if that's the case, here's what you do:

First, log into Air Force Portal, then click on the vMPF link. Go to Self-Service Applications, then Retraining. Then you should see a link to Request Retraining, which should take you to the AFPC website. Then you should see an area to select up to 8 AFSCs that you would like to be considered for. If it's still not working, you should be able to call the Contact Center at 1 800 616 3775 and select options 1,1,2. You might have to hold for a few mins but someone will answer. Hope that helps, any other questions don't hesitate to ask.

Thank you! After contacting afpc and having them tinker with my account, I was finally able to log on and submit. Now there's another roadblock. Here's the email I got back less than 24 hours later:

"Your FTA Window must overlap your DEROS date by 1 day. Your FTA Window for retraining does not open until Nov 2010 and your DEROS date is Sep 2010. You may re-apply when your FTA window opens in Nov 2010."

There have been several of you that were accepted at your 3 year mark correct? Did you do something differently? I put my exception to policy request in the comment box.

imported_TJC78
02-11-2009, 06:47 AM

There's really no way to speed up the flight physical. The only thing you can do is give them approx. 3 weeks to a month and if you don't hear anything, then start calling. The Medical Standards people at my base sat on my paperwork for almost 2 months and it would've probably sat there longer had I not called to check the status. I still had to call every 2 or 3 days afterwards for another 3 weeks before I actually got all the paperwork back.

imported_hogrigger
02-11-2009, 12:18 PM

Please do not feel bad about being long winded, I feel like my eyes are being opened so much wider the more I listen to the story's about my new job. You have opened them so much so that I'm actually reconsidering airframes. I am a U-2/A-10 guy, so not fighers and not heavies and I just thought helicopters would be a huge adrenaline rush, but the more I listen to your stories...I don't know, I guess it doesn't matter what we work, we are going to have our own neat crap to talk about...how hard is it to switch airframes? What if I want to start on helicopters and i'm lucky enough to get them and then switch to fixed wings later? I'm the kind that likes to experience it all and not miss much...lol Variety the Spice of Life...lol

imported_waterboy
02-11-2009, 04:57 PM
If you are applying under NCORP as a second-termer, your package doesn't meet a board, it goes to the AFPC Business Process Owner. This is one person who makes the final approval, and then it is put in the hands of SMSgt Doss, the FE Functional, who schedules your class dates. You being overseas may have an impact on how quickly (or slowly) your app gets approved. Also, as it's been said before, overseas folks get their assignments and PCS before beginning the courses, so that's probably a big factor in this whole equation too. Keep your head up man, I've been waiting forever too. We'll get there eventually.

Thanks man. I knew things were a little different for NCORP. I'll just keep my fingers crossed and try to focus on my work here in the mean time.

c5engineer
02-11-2009, 06:47 PM
Please do not feel bad about being long winded, I feel like my eyes are being opened so much wider the more I listen to the story's about my new job. You have opened them so much so that I'm actually reconsidering airframes. I am a U-2/A-10 guy, so not fighers and not heavies and I just thought helicopters would be a huge adrenaline rush, but the more I listen to your stories...I don't know, I guess it doesn't matter what we work, we are going to have our own neat crap to talk about...how hard is it to switch airframes? What if I want to start on helicopters and i'm lucky enough to get them and then switch to fixed wings later? I'm the kind that likes to experience it all and not miss much...lol Variety the Spice of Life...lol

That's pretty much how it is. Each airframe has some pretty awesome stories. I remember reading about a 10 crew who had to refuel a B-2, that was bingo on fuel. These guys had to put themselves out to give this guy gas in the opening hours of the air war. I've heard tons of stories from my DOV engineer who flew AC-130 gunships for 15 years. My squadron has a ton of stories from flying into harms way in both Afghanistan and Iraq. I don't know how exciting being an AWACS or JSTAR engineer is, but who knows what they experience unless you have a buddy who fly's them.

As for switching frames, I did all my FE time in the reserves, but a few guys who came to us off AD who had switched did so because of manning changes. Several had gone from 141's to 10's or even 130's and then got into the reserves because they didn't want that mission. There are some jobs I would love to have but I didn't want to take a civilian job in the reserves. There is Standardization/Evaluation, which you would progress from as an evaluator. You'd write the -1 and operational procedures and recommend changes. There are planning positions at Scott that involve engineers to determine airfield suitability and capability of individual airframes. If you get enough hours they might come out and request for engineers on the CV-22 or if your lucky and make Chief you could be Air Force One's flight engineer. That would be the ultimate.

In the meantime drink it all in. I enjoyed SERE, water survival, BFE and FTU. I am glad I didn't have to go through fundamentals. Take full advantage of your time in FTU because the civilians teaching you know a ton of stuff. They were getting shot at before you were born and know how to do just about anything on the airframe. When you get done, bug the crap out of your instructors to know as much as possible. I always liked it when students wanted to know "extra" and found that those students had a much easier time upgrading.

Good luck to all.

kenton
02-11-2009, 07:49 PM
Thank you! After contacting afpc and having them tinker with my account, I was finally able to log on and submit. Now there's another roadblock. Here's the email I got back less than 24 hours later:

"Your FTA Window must overlap your DEROS date by 1 day. Your FTA Window for retraining does not open until Nov 2010 and your DEROS date is Sep 2010. You may re-apply when your FTA window opens in Nov 2010."

There have been several of you that were accepted at your 3 year mark correct? Did you do something differently? I put my exception to policy request in the comment box.

FTA Overseas you are going to have to wait until 15 months before your DEROS to apply... Unless you submit a deros curtailment waiver.... which honestly will only fly if your cutting off a couple months. The AFI for retraining states who needs to approve a deros curtailment waiver.... Off the top of my head I know anymore than 2-3 months needs to be approved at HHQ level.... Commanders are usually too scared to let that fly. So long story short. Because your deors is Nov 2010. Without a deros curtailment letter, you will have to wait until the FY11 #'s drop.... which should be late Feb early Mar 10.... along with that you will need an ETP letter stating that you were unable to retrain during your window due to FY # constraints. The only reason I am so versed in this is because my DEROS is Nov 09.... and im going through it right now.... They wont approve you for retraining without quota spots to fill against..... So unless you are able to curtail your DEROS your going to have to wait for the FY11 #'s.... Sorry

imported_CV22chief
02-11-2009, 11:55 PM
Wow, that was quick. Did you already have the application submitted and approved by the commander and just have to update the app with your flight physical? I was told that I couldn't submit the app without all the required paperwork first. Anyhow, good deal. Are you an FTA or second-termer? If you're a second-termer under NCORP and get your 5 before me, I'm gonna be pissed! lol

Yeah those morons at Medical Standards screwed me. I hadn't heard anything back in almost 2 months so I called and the Airman told me "Oh, your paperwork somehow got moved to the bottom of the pile and I overlooked that I need to get your standing blood pressure to complete your 1042." I just about flew off the handle! That's when I learned that you have to stay on top of things and keep bugging the crap out of everyone.

Yeah the commander approved it and I got it sent up with out the 1042. But in my defense, I read the requirements over and over and didn't mention the 1042. But anyhow they must have reviewed most of it and after i sent the 1042 it was all good.

I'm 2nd term and hoping my 5 comes tomorrow...haha. probably wont but i do expect it to be by next week some time. I'll probably call on Tuesday to see where i'm at. And Med standards are very slow, I called over and over and it still took almost 3 months. there are 5 guys in my shop PCSing or special duty or whatever including me and i'm the only one with out definite orders, so i'm wanting it to go very fast so i'm not left there by myself...lol anyway good luck!

VidMXGuy
02-12-2009, 07:42 PM
Hello everybody,

I have posted on here once before a few months ago. It is an extremely long and irritating process to retrain, you have to play the waiting game for everybody (Flight Medicine, AFPC). I start fundies in April and I am psyched. Even though it is not going to be a big trip for me, seeing as I am stationed at Lackland, but nonetheless I am excited. I can't wait to become an FE!

imported_tmckinley
02-12-2009, 07:52 PM
Just to let everyone know, I have just been infoormed that my Water Suvival in P'Cola has been changed from 22 April to 24 August, right after SERE.

VidMXGuy
02-12-2009, 08:17 PM
Just to let everyone know, I have just been infoormed that my Water Suvival in P'Cola has been changed from 22 April to 24 August, right after SERE.

Mine changed this week too. From 31 Mar to 21 July. I called the pipeline training manager for AETC and he informed me that since they don't know what airframe I will be assigned to, they had to change my classdates to after Fundies/BFE (when I find out what airframe I will be assigned to). I had one problem though, and my water survival will change again, because they scheduled me for it from 21-23 July, with my emergency parachute training occuring at Fairchild on 24 July. Too quick of a turnaround so I should get a new class date for whatever kind of water survival I attend.

Max Power
02-12-2009, 09:13 PM
Mine changed this week too. From 31 Mar to 21 July. I called the pipeline training manager for AETC and he informed me that since they don't know what airframe I will be assigned to, they had to change my classdates to after Fundies/BFE (when I find out what airframe I will be assigned to). I had one problem though, and my water survival will change again, because they scheduled me for it from 21-23 July, with my emergency parachute training occuring at Fairchild on 24 July. Too quick of a turnaround so I should get a new class date for whatever kind of water survival I attend.

Are you a VIIDS troop?

VidMXGuy
02-12-2009, 09:21 PM
Are you a VIIDS troop?

Yep, I sure am.

Max Power
02-12-2009, 09:25 PM
Yep, I sure am.

Me too. I've got my package at AFPC right now for FE. Waiting on Career Field Manager review.

imported_tmckinley
02-12-2009, 10:55 PM

I hope mine changes again, because I planed on driving to Fairchild since its 9 hours from here, but with graduating on Friday and then having to be in P'cola on Monday I am thinking I am going to fly instead, Plus with SERE being straight thru with no breaks it really doesnt make since to drive up there i wont be able to use my truck.

Anyone have any thoughts about driving vs flying? (I already know about what is more adventagious to the gov, i know all the rules requarding this, its more about convience)

Max Power
02-17-2009, 09:16 PM
Got my status 3 today. Hoping for a 5 here shortly.

imported_hogrigger
02-17-2009, 11:46 PM
Well I checked my Initial Out-Processing Brief on Virtual on a whim and found myself with an assignment...66th Rescue Squadron, Nellis AFB here I come!! Can anybody give me an intel? It's not AFSOC but it's -60's...so getting half of what I was hoping for is awesome enough!

BigBaze
02-18-2009, 05:31 AM
just landed and it's midnight, great night, refueled 4 F15's and went up on a Kc135 and another Kc10 at night, that ain't no joke, can't wait to do the C5 on Thurs, I am GONNA go back to the boom pod for that one! You all keep on keeping on!

imported_TJC78
02-18-2009, 06:32 AM
Still haven't gotten a 5 yet, it's been almost 3 weeks now. I'm starting to get agitated. Every time I call AFPC I get a different story. One person said the normal time for approval was 1 week, someone else said no more than a month, and then another person said I should have never been given a time limit at all because it really all depends on who is assigned to your case. My package isn't meeting a board like most peoples', it just needs to be approved by 1 dude, so what the hell could be taking so long?

c5engineer
02-18-2009, 09:03 AM
That's great Baze! I remember the first time I saw a 10 from the other direction. We were over Nova Scotia on our third hookup of the evening (it took four to get us from Norway to Navy North Island), in the weather. You could see the boundary layer surrounding the 10 because the wing lights were illuminating the rain. It looked like something out of close encounters. We were cleared pre-contact, but we spooked the shit out of the boomer because we looked like a frickin' Megaladon coming out of the cloud deck and he backed us off so he could change his drawers. In the middle of the hookup, while making a turn the AC (who was refueling) had his seat slide back on him. Luckily we had a crewchief who was watching from behind the pilot's seat and he pushed him forward and held him there for another 4.5 minutes. Amazingly no disconnect. I've got a lot of great AR stories, but I'll save them for the willing. I'm going to miss that, but I like the idea of sitting off the aft ramp looking out over the desert! I really can't wait to get to FTU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

imported_waterboy
02-18-2009, 07:14 PM
Still haven't gotten a 5 yet, it's been almost 3 weeks now. I'm starting to get agitated. Every time I call AFPC I get a different story.

Yeah, I'm going on a month here. You know the story the last time I called. I just updated "my stuff" with a status request and I'm going to give a call right now.

EDIT: I just called and for the second time in a row was told that the "process can take up to four months," so I'm going to take that as a sign that I need to concentrate on other things for a while. Getting my instrument rating done before I leave is a good goal. Why it would take 4 months to "approve" what the CFMs have already approved is beyond my comprehension; but then again, I'm not a personnelist.

jnk
02-18-2009, 11:23 PM
Hey, to the dudes @ Hurbie.
CV22 chief, you wont go back to hurbie unless you write a letter saying you wanna get back on ospreys.

Usually they send the hurbie guys to 9 SOS but they are full. So if you wanna stay afsoc write the letter!!I wish I would have (i was fuel cell on 22's & 53's) The dreamsheet you get is absolutely worthless so don't get your hopes up. & don't listen to anyone tell you what is available. I didn't write my letter to 8 SOS because I was told That if I put down 60's I would DEFINATELY get them.

BigBaze
02-19-2009, 01:24 AM
That's great Baze! I remember the first time I saw a 10 from the other direction. We were over Nova Scotia on our third hookup of the evening (it took four to get us from Norway to Navy North Island), in the weather. You could see the boundary layer surrounding the 10 because the wing lights were illuminating the rain. It looked like something out of close encounters. We were cleared pre-contact, but we spooked the shit out of the boomer because we looked like a frickin' Megaladon coming out of the cloud deck and he backed us off so he could change his drawers. In the middle of the hookup, while making a turn the AC (who was refueling) had his seat slide back on him. Luckily we had a crewchief who was watching from behind the pilot's seat and he pushed him forward and held him there for another 4.5 minutes. Amazingly no disconnect. I've got a lot of great AR stories, but I'll save them for the willing. I'm going to miss that, but I like the idea of sitting off the aft ramp looking out over the desert! I really can't wait to get to FTU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck I know you'll love the FTU, I wonder if we are gonna get the new C5M tomorrow since the C5 is out of Dover, but it most likely will be a C5B.

imported_CV22chief
02-19-2009, 04:09 AM
Hey, to the dudes @ Hurbie.
CV22 chief, you wont go back to hurbie unless you write a letter saying you wanna get back on ospreys.

Usually they send the hurbie guys to 9 SOS but they are full. So if you wanna stay afsoc write the letter!!I wish I would have (i was fuel cell on 22's & 53's) The dreamsheet you get is absolutely worthless so don't get your hopes up. & don't listen to anyone tell you what is available. I didn't write my letter to 8 SOS because I was told That if I put down 60's I would DEFINATELY get them.

WRONG-they sent me to Robins (choice 18). Chances are, y'all will end up here,, Although my buddy (a c/c from the 4th AMU) got Travis

Hm haven't heard that, but i will check into it. It kinda sucks, i don't necessarily want to end up back here. The only reason is the house we bought only a year ago. We don't want to try and sell it considering the housing markets these days. But...well, who knows I guess ill see what happens. I would love to get on 60's I was a crew chief on them before and they are fun to fly on.

Orrion76
02-19-2009, 10:32 AM
Holly crap this forum has gotten long. 91 pages now. I found it shortly after getting my approval and was amazed at the confussion everyone had as to the classes and assignments. Well so far it has been almost a year. I have gone through BFE, SERE, Water Survival, and now most of the way through FIQ at Little Rock. I start into FMQ next week which is about 3 weeks long and then it's to the flightline where the real posibility of the pilots killing me begins. I must say that I wasn't oh so excited that I was getting 130's but am happy now. I have the best seat in the plane, the most responibility, and the least paid. It's great....... So as anyone else who has gone through this process I am always willing to answer questions. Hit me up at orrion76@aol.com
jared

icetrey
02-19-2009, 04:53 PM
Finished Fundies today...already got the BFE books...ready to get started tomorrow.

For everyone getting frustrated at the process....hang in there and stay determined! I think almost everyone went through trouble patches...

imported_waterboy
02-19-2009, 06:16 PM
A little encouragement for y'all who are on the fence about applying for retraining into the aircrew operations career fields. It's a press release from AFPC. If anyone has questions about 1A4XX in particular, I have ten years experience to share. . .

----------------------------------------------------------------

Additional career enlisted aviator positions open

2/18/2009 - RANDOLPH AIR FORCE BASE, Texas (AFNS) -- Air Force officials
recently added 20 openings for first-term Airmen to retrain into the
airborne mission systems (1A3XX) and airborne operations (1A4XX)
specialties.

First-term Airmen interested in retraining into the flight engineer
specialty will also find more than 30 positions available in the retraining
advisory. Second-term Airmen will also find openings in the in flight
refueling, flight engineer, airborne mission systems, and airborne
operations specialties.

fveres18
02-19-2009, 09:19 PM
I have just found this site. I have submitted my package to AFPC and it says awaiting approval disapproval from headquarters. I am pass the BPO. Does anyone know how long it takes to get an answer? I am retraining under the NCORP in the SSgt spot. I cannot find to much info on the NCORP retain. Any help would be awesome.

imported_tmckinley
02-20-2009, 12:26 AM
I have just found this site. I have submitted my package to AFPC and it says awaiting approval disapproval from headquarters. I am pass the BPO. Does anyone know how long it takes to get an answer? I am retraining under the NCORP in the SSgt spot. I cannot find to much info on the NCORP retain. Any help would be awesome.

You wont find much infromation on the NCORP program. I am under the NCORP too, once my stuff was sent up, it took about 2 weeks and I went code 5 and then 2 days later I had my class dates. It just takes time.

imported_fluke
02-20-2009, 03:18 AM
I noticed that 12 slots just vanished off the retraining advisory today! Congrats to y'all that just got accepted!

I am one of the 12. I was approved on 05 Feb 09. I am in status (5) I am getting restless and just want my class date already so I can get the heck out of Langley!!

imported_fluke
02-20-2009, 03:26 AM
Anyone else Status (5) and waiting for their class date ie: Status (6) ? If so we might be in the same class

imported_TJC78
02-20-2009, 06:01 AM

How are you still awaiting approval if you're past the BPO? The BPO is the one who makes the final approval/disapproval. Did you get an email from him/her saying that you were approved?

I'm in the same boat as you (NCORP SSgt), I've been waiting for a status 5 for almost a month now. If you try to call AFPC you will get a different answer every time. I call every 4 or 5 days or so hoping that it will light a fire under someone's ass, but apparently it does no good. So I just gotta have more patience I guess.

imported_buckeyefan221
02-20-2009, 01:57 PM
FLUKE LIKES DUDES!!!! LOL:thumbdown

imported_fluke
02-20-2009, 02:22 PM
LOL - My co-worker obviously is jealous. He made the above post. He is cross-trainnig into Intel. What a dork

-- TJC78 - Well "My Stuff" says I am still waiting for the BPO but VMPF says Awaiting Class Date Status (5).
I'll give them a call today and see what I can find out.

imported_buckeyefan221
02-20-2009, 02:40 PM
Yeah I'll be jealous with my $90K bonus... lol

imported_fluke
02-20-2009, 03:07 PM
-- Just got off the phone with AFPC and they said that it could take 6 weeks or 6 months to wait to go to status 6. They said the retraining is not approved officially until you have a status 6.

Hopefully you and I will find out within the next few weeks and maybe we will be in the same class. :banana:

fveres18
02-20-2009, 06:27 PM
The BPO really has no yes or no. They are the ones that make sure you have the all the paperwork when you submitt. I talked to my functional and he said if you are a 2A5 you probably are not going to get approved. AFPC cannot give any answers and I have been waiting for two months now. I have no knock downs and this is the job I have wanted since I came in.

Max Power
02-20-2009, 06:30 PM
So who the heck approves the packages?

imported_fluke
02-20-2009, 06:40 PM
I just checked vMPF again and there was the most beautiful thing. I have class dates.

I start Fundies on 12 June!!!

I was so excited I jumped up out of my chair at work.

So who else is going to be in my class?:D

Gunner7
02-20-2009, 07:55 PM
The BPO really has no yes or no. They are the ones that make sure you have the all the paperwork when you submitt. I talked to my functional and he said if you are a 2A5 you probably are not going to get approved. AFPC cannot give any answers and I have been waiting for two months now. I have no knock downs and this is the job I have wanted since I came in.

Not sure where your functional got that info. If you are a 2AXXX and applying for a FE slot, Advisory note 520 states: "This AFSC has designated feeder AFSCs. If in a feeder AFSC, member may apply for retraininginto this AFSC regardless of retraining out objectives." There are other notes that are helpful but the bottom line is a 2AXXX or 2M0XX applicant has a very good chance of retraining.

fveres18
02-20-2009, 07:58 PM
That is what i thought also. AFPC will not give any info whats so ever. Has anyone ever tried contacting the functional for FE and if so hw did you go about it.

Feral01
02-20-2009, 09:03 PM
Well, I just hit the submit request for retraining on VMPM. My AAC 50 was updated (after about 6 weeks)and I am now just waiting for them to initially qualify me for retraining and then submit my FCIII/, ETP for a non-feeder AFSC, and volunteer for flying duty so I can wait for the code 3, 5, and 6. I am hoping that the 5 TSgt and what looks like 10 SSgt slots to hang around for me so I will be able to join everyone in Fundy's sometime in September. Fingers crossed.

imported_CV22chief
02-21-2009, 12:16 AM
So who the heck approves the packages?

Well, I am a status 3 and when I talked to AFPC they told me that since I am NCORP my paper work went through the BPO or whatever and its awaiting board approval. They meet last duty day of the month. they also said it can take up to 4 months for them to approve it. I havent seen anyone on here wait that long. so hopefully we wont hear of that. Seems everyone gets told something differnt.

imported_waterboy
02-24-2009, 07:46 PM
Code 5!!!! WOOT!

Feral01
02-24-2009, 08:10 PM
I just seen 2 TSgt Slots and 6 SSgt Slots disapper from the on-line retraining advisory. I am going to pray to that these last 3 TSgt and 6 SSgt Slots hang out there for a little bit longer so I can slide in to those suckers. Good luck and congrats to all that picked up there slots today.

Gunner7
02-24-2009, 08:14 PM
Code 5!!!! WOOT!

Congratulations!!! Looks like the BPO has been jamming today. 26 FTA, 6 SSgt, and 3 TSgt slos remain open for FY 09. Expect the FY 10 First Term Airman Slots to drop in ten days or so. Should have ~130 slots open up.

imported_fluke
02-24-2009, 08:47 PM
Code 5!!!! WOOT!

Congrats let us know what your class date is, you should see in vMPF in about 3 weeks.:cool:

Spunjah413
02-24-2009, 09:37 PM
Anyone with May 1st Class date?

Max Power
02-25-2009, 01:10 AM
Only 3 Staff and 1 Tech slot left. No change to 5 for me. Looks like I might be resubmitting when FY10 numbers are released. Do they update ETP packages in MILPDS right away? I'm not in a feeder AFSC.

imported_TJC78
02-25-2009, 02:02 AM
Code 5!!!! WOOT!

Same here! Just waiting for class dates now!

Soon2bexF16CC
02-25-2009, 06:15 PM
Code 5 here to!! Took me three weeks to go from code 3 to code 5. Hopefully the class dates will come sooner, but I'm not getting my hopes up. I've been in long enough to know better. I've been reading this post for the past two months. There has been a lot of useful information here. Thanks to BigBaze for starting it and for everyone else who has shared useful information with the rest of us. Good luck to everyone!

dg777
02-25-2009, 07:30 PM
Hello, I just got status 5 today. What does that mean?

dg777
02-25-2009, 07:39 PM
I know it means that I am AWT class seat date but am I approved now? Has anyone ever heard of someone being a (5) and then not getting a (6)? Does this mean that I got one of the slots off of the retraining advisory that were left because now there are no slots for SSgt. Thanks for any help. I hope so because I have been trying to retrain for over two years.

Gunner7
02-25-2009, 08:14 PM
I know it means that I am AWT class seat date but am I approved now? Has anyone ever heard of someone being a (5) and then not getting a (6)? Does this mean that I got one of the slots off of the retraining advisory that were left because now there are no slots for SSgt. Thanks for any help. I hope so because I have been trying to retrain for over two years.

The stat 5 awaiting class seat means you are fully qualified but they need to coordinate a class seat. Given we are the most advanced branch of service I am confident AFPC will rip their socks off and perform the complicated math. 10 open seats - 5 approved applications = 5 remaining. Seriously, if they come back to you with anything other than a class seat be prepared to use the chain of command up to a congressional to sort it out. You have spent two years with your hand in the air looking to fill a critical need of the AF, if they fuck it up drop the hammer.

imported_TJC78
02-25-2009, 10:39 PM
Got my class dates today! I start Aircrew Fundies on 19 June. Fluke, looks like I'll be a week behind you.

BigBaze
02-25-2009, 11:44 PM
Glad to hear you guys are getting approved! I am on flight #8 up here at KC10 FTU so a few more and I will be check riding.

imported_fluke
02-26-2009, 12:01 AM
Glad to hear you guys are getting approved! I am on flight #8 up here at KC10 FTU so a few more and I will be check riding.

Very nice BigBaze, I hope to get KC-10's. Let me know how they are!!!!

Got my class dates today! I start Aircrew Fundies on 19 June. Fluke, looks like I'll be a week behind you.

I am very happy you finally got your date. Now you need to get with your squadron's Training Manager. They should receive an email from your Base's MPF that is your "Formal Training RIP" that you need to route to your Commander, make sure you have 48 months retainability, if not you have 10 days from receiving the training RIP to get your retainability before your class date is canceled.

imported_CV22chief
02-26-2009, 12:02 AM
Same here! Just waiting for class dates now!

Got my status 5 today! hell yeah!:cheers: just need my class dates
<==excited

BigBaze
02-26-2009, 12:09 AM
[quote=fluke;191920]Very nice BigBaze, I hope to get KC-10's. Let me know how they are!!!!

Like flying on a Cadillac, FE has the best seat in the house:) If ya like traveling put them down! Not much of an adrenaline rush but a nice plane to fly on!

dg777
02-26-2009, 12:17 AM
Are or were any of you gus HH-60 crew chiefs? Just wanted to know if i knew any of you.

imported_CV22chief
02-26-2009, 12:23 AM
Are or were any of you gus HH-60 crew chiefs? Just wanted to know if i knew any of you.

I was a 60 crewchief back in 1999-2002 at kadena. where are you stationed. We probably know alot of the same people

imported_TJC78
02-26-2009, 01:01 AM
Got my status 5 today! hell yeah!:cheers: just need my class dates
<==excited

You should be getting your dates very soon. I got my 5 yesterday and my 6 today. Let me know, we might be in class together.

dg777
02-26-2009, 02:40 AM
I was at adena from 03-06.

fveres18
02-26-2009, 02:56 AM
I have a july 14 date for fundies. Does any one no when you find out if you are fixed wing or helo.

imported_tmckinley
02-26-2009, 03:37 AM
Congrats to everyone that got approved. I know how much of a pain in the butt it can be. It looks like alot of us will be passing thru Lackland at the same time, I start May 22nd. If anyone has any questions ask, this board is full of people with good info.

imported_TJC78
02-26-2009, 05:52 AM
I have a july 14 date for fundies. Does any one no when you find out if you are fixed wing or helo.

We will be submitting our "dream sheet" the first week of Aircrew Fundies, and we should find out what airframe and base we'll be assigned to by Block 3 or 4 of BFE.

dg777
02-26-2009, 02:55 PM
I just got approved class starts 14 Jul!!!!!

imported_TJC78
02-26-2009, 03:14 PM
I just got approved class starts 14 Jul!!!!!

Congrats man! You'll be there a few weeks after me, we might run into each other. We should figure out who all will be going through around the same time and have a big get-together, maybe have a BBQ or go have a few drinks on the town.

Soon2bexF16CC
02-26-2009, 03:24 PM
I got approved yesterday myself. Went code 5 Tuesday and code 6 yesterday. My class starts 26 June. I go to SERE 7 Sep and Water Survival 29 Sep. All four classes close together with no real breaks between them. Can't wait to find out where I'm going!!

imported_TJC78
02-26-2009, 04:01 PM
I got approved yesterday myself. Went code 5 Tuesday and code 6 yesterday. My class starts 26 June. I go to SERE 7 Sep and Water Survival 29 Sep. All four classes close together with no real breaks between them. Can't wait to find out where I'm going!!

Dude, we'll be in SERE together! My Water Survival is before SERE. You'll start Aircrew Fundies the week after me. Are you overseas right now? If not, you won't know what airframe/base you get until BFE.

imported_waterboy
02-26-2009, 05:55 PM
Hmmm. No code 6 yet. Maybe my code 6 will take a while since I am overseas and have already done fundies and SERE?

imported_TJC78
02-26-2009, 06:08 PM
Hmmm. No code 6 yet. Maybe my code 6 will take a while since I am overseas and have already done fundies and SERE?

You're not a FTA, are you? All the quotas for SSgt/TSgt are gone now, so you'll have to wait for the FY10 list to come out and resubmit. I think I was one of the last 3 SSgts to get approved. I feel bad for all you guys who barely missed out. :(

Maybe you'll get lucky and instead of having to resubmit your app, you'll just be on hold until FY10 classes become available.

imported_waterboy
02-26-2009, 06:14 PM
I don't think that's the case. I went code 5 the same time you did. I think it's just cause I'm overseas and they have to try to match up class dates as closely as possible with my DEROS.

dg777
02-26-2009, 06:40 PM
How did you guys find out about your SERE and Water schools. Was it on VMPF. Cause all i got are school dates for fundies and BFE.

imported_TJC78
02-26-2009, 06:49 PM
I don't think that's the case. I went code 5 the same time you did. I think it's just cause I'm overseas and they have to try to match up class dates as closely as possible with my DEROS.

Well hopefully it's not the case. Keep us to date!

How did you guys find out about your SERE and Water schools. Was it on VMPF. Cause all i got are school dates for fundies and BFE.

The first time I checked vMPF yesterday it just had Aircrew Fundies and BFE, but then I checked it again a few hours later and all the classes were loaded. I don't know if you're overseas but if you are, they schedule the dates differently than CONUS folks.

dg777
02-26-2009, 07:10 PM
No i am stateside so i will wait and hopefully see something today, thanks.

Theloweman
02-26-2009, 11:09 PM

Looks like we'll be in the same class... I Start on 26 June as well... and then its non-stop through to the end of water survival training... I can't wait to get out of Korea and get this started, its gonna be good summer!!

imported_hogrigger
02-26-2009, 11:30 PM

I still only have Fundies loaded under mine...I know someone said i was going to fall under FY10 training but...would've thought I would be loaded for at least both those classes?

imported_CV22chief
02-27-2009, 12:32 AM

Hey man, looks like Ill be in class with you I got all my class dates. 26 june -oct 2 i think...my wife is NOT gonna be happy..lol but i can not wait! See ya there!

imported_TJC78
02-27-2009, 05:02 AM
Damn, looks like everyone is going a week ahead of me or a week behind me! Oh well.

chachikeno
03-01-2009, 02:05 AM
So I heard all SSgt/TSgt Slots for FY09 are now taken. I'm a SSgt so should i press on and submit my application or should i wait til FY10 numbers come out and then submit my papers? I started this process last September and now that all slots are taken its depressing to have to wait even longer. Also when should i expect FY10 numbers to come out? Please advise.

imported_TJC78
03-01-2009, 03:36 PM
So I heard all SSgt/TSgt Slots for FY09 are now taken. I'm a SSgt so should i press on and submit my application or should i wait til FY10 numbers come out and then submit my papers? I started this process last September and now that all slots are taken its depressing to have to wait even longer. Also when should i expect FY10 numbers to come out? Please advise.

If you submit your app now, they'll just deny it due to no quotas available and tell you to reapply when the FY10 quotas come out. I'm not sure, but I think they might be coming out in the next couple of weeks. Good luck, I know how frustrating the process can be.

imported_fluke
03-02-2009, 02:11 AM
[quote=fluke;191920]Very nice BigBaze, I hope to get KC-10's. Let me know how they are!!!!

Like flying on a Cadillac, FE has the best seat in the house:) If ya like traveling put them down! Not much of an adrenaline rush but a nice plane to fly on!

Sounds sweet. Nothing wrong with good old american comfort!!

imported_fluke
03-02-2009, 02:13 AM
Congrats man! You'll be there a few weeks after me, we might run into each other. We should figure out who all will be going through around the same time and have a big get-together, maybe have a BBQ or go have a few drinks on the town.

Sounds like a great idea, we can make a "FE Roll Call Thread." We should plan it on a Saturday as we will be studying Sunday through thursday

BigBaze
03-02-2009, 03:12 AM
Having been in the great city of San Antonio I can personally say that the Riverwalk is awesome to go to, and for partying, Cowboy's Dancehall, it is the biggest frickin club I have ever seen, the girls there are unreal

imported_TJC78
03-02-2009, 10:49 AM
Hey BigBaze, I was trying to find some info about the per diem. Maybe I missed it, but I haven't been able to find out how it gets paid. Do we receive it after our training is complete or during? I would think they would pay us during so we can make payments to our travel card. I know the mileage for driving to and from Lackland gets paid at the end, and family sep gets paid every 30 days. Just need some clarification on the per diem.

Max Power
03-02-2009, 02:06 PM

FY10 for NCORP should be out this summer. They came out in mid August of this past year for FY09.

Feral01
03-02-2009, 02:18 PM

I am in the same boat as you. I received a message from AFPC that says that I need to submit an ETP for a FTA slot. I spoke with CEA in-service recruiter and he stated that they are in the process of trying to move 10 of the FTA slots over to the SSgt slot. So I am going to keep my fingers crossed and hope that this pipe dream can be reality. We will see what happens. I am submitting my ETP, 1042, FCIII, and voluteer statement right now.

VidMXGuy
03-02-2009, 03:52 PM
Having been in the great city of San Antonio I can personally say that the Riverwalk is awesome to go to, and for partying, Cowboy's Dancehall, it is the biggest frickin club I have ever seen, the girls there are unreal

I have been stationed at Lackland for the past 3 1/2 years, and I get to go thru some training here. San Antonio is a pretty good spot for nightlife, Cowboys is full of hillbillies and rednecks, but there are alot of pretty good looking women there. If anybody is in my class I will be able to show you around, I know all the spots, haha.

dg777
03-02-2009, 05:19 PM
I got my Fundies 14 Jul and BFE 3 Aug I called AFPC to ask about the other class dates but they said that I will get those once I am in school. It seems like some of you already got all of your class dates, I wonder why they told me that. I heard that the pool roof collapsed maybe thats why?

imported_JBurnhouse
03-02-2009, 07:45 PM
I just started the retraining process into FE. I was an FE in the Army on the UH-60 several years ago, and decided it was time for me to get back to it. Hopefully, I can get HH-60's. My question is about required documents for the application process. My printouts from AFPC list my flight physical stuff, AFCT retesting letter, and flying duty letter. Is there any other information I need to include for my application they are not mentioning? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

c5engineer
03-03-2009, 02:23 AM
I just started the retraining process into FE. I was an FE in the Army on the UH-60 several years ago, and decided it was time for me to get back to it. Hopefully, I can get HH-60's. My question is about required documents for the application process. My printouts from AFPC list my flight physical stuff, AFCT retesting letter, and flying duty letter. Is there any other information I need to include for my application they are not mentioning? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I take it you are currently on AD with the AF? If you are not in a flying position and have not been since the Army you would require a request for revalidation for aviation service. I am a 13 year active flying 2 year inactive flyer with the AF who went into the IRR. Because of that I have had to request one myself. Two of my fellow engineers are prior army helicopter aviators. They had to request aviation service revalidation in order to count their flying time towards AF time. I am sure you could refuse to do this and just start from scratch, but if you had any substantial time flying (4 years or more) it counts toward flight time and your gates for flight pay and award of advanced wings. It's something to think about. I don't know what you would have to do on AD, I became aware of it when I went to transfer my flight records to my new unit and found out that when you go IRR they administratively separate you from aviation service. It is covered under AFI 11-402.

Good luck to you.

B52C/C87
03-03-2009, 08:13 AM
Only took 7 months but I finally have a class date. Class starts 24 July. Anybody else in that class?

imported_JBurnhouse
03-03-2009, 04:31 PM
I take it you are currently on AD with the AF? If you are not in a flying position and have not been since the Army you would require a request for revalidation for aviation service. I am a 13 year active flying 2 year inactive flyer with the AF who went into the IRR. Because of that I have had to request one myself. Two of my fellow engineers are prior army helicopter aviators. They had to request aviation service revalidation in order to count their flying time towards AF time. I am sure you could refuse to do this and just start from scratch, but if you had any substantial time flying (4 years or more) it counts toward flight time and your gates for flight pay and award of advanced wings. It's something to think about. I don't know what you would have to do on AD, I became aware of it when I went to transfer my flight records to my new unit and found out that when you go IRR they administratively separate you from aviation service. It is covered under AFI 11-402.

Good luck to you.

Thanks for the advice c5engineer. If that process is anything like any other board with the af I will pass and start from scratch. I had to do that crap for my rank when I swithed to the AF. Anyone know of any good hh-60 bases out there. I have been to Vegas before, don't really care to go back there, but if its my only choice to start out, I'll suck it up for a few years. I prefer the east coast or overseas, but I'm sure its like alot of things, they want experienced folks. Any info would help.

dub13
03-03-2009, 05:14 PM
Anyone know of any good hh-60 bases out there..

Off the top of my head there is Nellis, D-M, Moody, and Lakenheath. Then I'm sure there are guard or reserve bases out there too

brentusaf
03-03-2009, 05:28 PM
Is there any website or any other info I can get about requirements for Aircrew Fundamentals and Undergraduate Flying training courses before I head out to Lackland? I need to know what I need to bring along with me. Thanks!

dub13
03-03-2009, 05:50 PM
Yeah, on your training rip there will be a link somewhere towards the bottom I think. It's the etca website. Once you get on there you can look up what requirements are needed

Smeghead
03-03-2009, 05:54 PM
Off the top of my head there is Nellis, D-M, Moody, and Lakenheath. Then I'm sure there are guard or reserve bases out there too

Lakenheath? Since when? There's a SOG at Mildenhall, but last I knew Lakey was just F-15s. Other than the other 3 mentioned there's also Kadena.

dub13
03-03-2009, 06:37 PM
They've been at Lakenheath for at least two years now I believe. They brought them over from Keflavik

imported_CV22chief
03-03-2009, 11:06 PM
They've been at Lakenheath for at least two years now I believe. They brought them over from Keflavik

That is correct. there is also kadena AFB in okinawa and I am pretty sure there are some in Korea.

Max Power
03-04-2009, 10:35 PM
After being told by AFPC last week that my retraining package was denied due to no quotas, it turns out I was actually approved for FE. I'd like to find the guy on the phone who told me my package was denied and tell him a thing or two. Oh well, I start Fundies on 19 June and should graduate BFE in August. I can't freaking wait. Peace out Comm!!!

imported_tmckinley
03-05-2009, 12:48 AM
Ok so I want to see if anyone can help me on this. My BFE startes 22May, well that is Memorial Day weekend. Is my class still going to start then or is it going to change? I plan on calling the school house in early May to find out from them, but I wasnted to see if anyone has every run across something like this before.

imported_TJC78
03-05-2009, 01:01 AM
Ok so I want to see if anyone can help me on this. My BFE startes 22May, well that is Memorial Day weekend. Is my class still going to start then or is it going to change? I plan on calling the school house in early May to find out from them, but I wasnted to see if anyone has every run across something like this before.

Why not just call them now so you'll know well in advance?

BigBaze
03-05-2009, 12:50 PM
After being told by AFPC last week that my retraining package was denied due to no quotas, it turns out I was actually approved for FE. I'd like to find the guy on the phone who told me my package was denied and tell him a thing or two. Oh well, I start Fundies on 19 June and should graduate BFE in August. I can't freaking wait. Peace out Comm!!!

Awesome!!! Congrats!

BigBaze
03-05-2009, 12:51 PM
Hey all you at Nellis I will be landing there Friday , look for a two ship of KC10's:) I will be around Saturday too

brentusaf
03-05-2009, 02:25 PM
Hey all you at Nellis I will be landing there Friday , look for a two ship of KC10's:) I will be around Saturday too

Let me guess you are flying to Langley with F-15s and F-22's? We got aircraft there for Red Flag and are returning back Saturday.

brentusaf
03-05-2009, 02:27 PM
So let me guess this right. Do I need other forms to fill out before I attend SERE in addition to my Med Clearance package?

imported_JBurnhouse
03-05-2009, 02:52 PM
Does anyone happen to have an ETP for taking an FTA slot. According to MSgt Bergin I need to do one even though I'm applying through the NCORP option because there are no quotas left. Anyone happen to have an example I could build off of? I appreciate the help.

Max Power
03-05-2009, 02:57 PM
Does anyone happen to have an ETP for taking an FTA slot. According to MSgt Bergin I need to do one even though I'm applying through the NCORP option because there are no quotas left. Anyone happen to have an example I could build off of? I appreciate the help.

CEA CoP (https://afkm.wpafb.af.mil/asps/cop/opencop.asp?filter=oo-dp-so-02)

Click on the link above for the Career Enlisted Aviator Community of Practice. There is a folder with ETP samples in it.

imported_TJC78
03-05-2009, 04:15 PM

Good luck man. The FTA slots are going fast as well. 20 of them just dropped off in the last couple of days.

BigBaze
03-05-2009, 08:12 PM
Let me guess you are flying to Langley with F-15s and F-22's? We got aircraft there for Red Flag and are returning back Saturday.

We are flying you then!

TheDude
03-06-2009, 01:46 PM
Only took 7 months but I finally have a class date. Class starts 24 July. Anybody else in that class?

Just found out that I got approved yesterday and I start class on the 24th of July as well. Then I go to BFE a couple days later... Congrats, see you down there! All of you that are just starting the retraining process, stick with it and stay on top of your stuff!

TheDude
03-06-2009, 01:57 PM
... I only got the class dates for Fundies and BFE right now, will they just put the other class dates on VMPF later on? Do I find out what airframe and what base I will be going to in Fundies?

brentusaf
03-06-2009, 04:12 PM
We are flying you then!

Well I would chit chat with you, but I am going on leave tomorrow and won't be here. I can't wait to start my classes. My first one is May 1st. I heard KC-10's are full now so it would be hard to get that airframe however if the AF wanted to save money they would give me KC-10's since a move to McGuire is only a few hours up the road from here. I guess anything is possible.

Spunjah413
03-06-2009, 04:31 PM
Brent we have the same Class date.

brentusaf
03-06-2009, 05:37 PM
Brent we have the same Class date.

Sweet man. What are you're class dates? We may have all of them together.

BigBaze
03-08-2009, 10:24 PM
Well I would chit chat with you, but I am going on leave tomorrow and won't be here. I can't wait to start my classes. My first one is May 1st. I heard KC-10's are full now so it would be hard to get that airframe however if the AF wanted to save money they would give me KC-10's since a move to McGuire is only a few hours up the road from here. I guess anything is possible.

there were 4 KC10's , two from us and two from Travis, we dragged 4 Raptors back home, offloaded 90,000 lbs, I was in the boom pod for the first offload, got some sweet photos. One more night in Charleston and I am flying home tomorrow. They say KC10's are full? We are undermanned as shit, but you never know

B52C/C87
03-09-2009, 07:56 AM
... I only got the class dates for Fundies and BFE right now, will they just put the other class dates on VMPF later on? Do I find out what airframe and what base I will be going to in Fundies?

I only have class dates for those as well. I assume I will get other class dates either during or after the first two classes.

Soon2bexF16CC
03-09-2009, 02:27 PM
Hey man, looks like Ill be in class with you I got all my class dates. 26 june -oct 2 i think...my wife is NOT gonna be happy..lol but i can not wait! See ya there!

Looks like we'll be in the same class... I Start on 26 June as well... and then its non-stop through to the end of water survival training... I can't wait to get out of Korea and get this started, its gonna be good summer!!

It's cool we have the same classes and even better that it is all together. I'd rather do it all in one shot than have to go back and forth. It's going to be busy leaving SERE coming back here (Luke) then going to water survival and coming home all within a week. Hopefully I'll be driving to San Antonio since we will be there for a while, would suck to be there for two months with no transportation. CV22, I'm sure your wife isn't going to like you being gone for two months, but you will completely done and won't have to wait to leave for another class.

Theloweman, are you at Osan or the Kun? I spent two years at the Kun from 2000-2002. I had a good time there but I was defiantely to come back to the states. It didn't seem the most fun while I was there, but looking back I have to say I had a good time. Definately brought home a lot of stories.

Can't wait to finally get it started!!!!....see you guys there!!!!

jetmech24
03-10-2009, 09:39 PM
Hello to all, Its been awhile since my last post, but as you are all well aware how busy things can get while trying to retrain. After countless hours of negotiating with AFPC I received an Airstaff approval to take a FTA slot. Even better, after consulting with the GODS! (The man who schedules our class dates) I received a short notice class date of 20 March for Fundies, 9 April for BFE, 25 May for SERE, 19 Jun for Emer Parachute and finally 23 June for Water survival. Does anyone else have the same class date?

P.S. For those of you who think you have little hope of succeeding, be persistant ! Call whoever you have to call at least twice a week. "The sweaky wheel gets the oil" It worked for me.