PDA

View Full Version : Flight Engineer retraining

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

BigBaze
08-10-2008, 07:51 PM
I'm in the same process of applying for CAREERS retraining into Flight Engineer. I'm at the point now where all I have to do is hit "submit". I've got my Class III done, ETP endorsed, and everything else uploaded into my retraining package.

I'm really looking forward to a very unique job experience and hoping to finding it very rewarding. Currently I'm a 4T051 Medical Lab tech and to me this job seems too civilian. Maybe I'm just young and dumb but i want to get out and see the world for a few years, if not more. That being said, I've gathered from all the posts that the Flight Engineer job is very demanding and I'm worrying if I'll be in the same "go out and explore mindset" 4 years from now.

My concern is this, If i do go into Flight Engineer, what are the chances of maybe retraining into another AFSC, if after 4 years I decide it's not for me? I know retraining is based "Needs of the AF", but on the other hand the Flight Engineer position has been slowing going away. I've checked the CCS list, and Flight engineer isn't even on it as opposed to previous years. Does anyone know of someone that's successfully retrained out of FE? I'd really hate the feeling of having to leave the AF if I decide me and FE have to split ways.

I would not worry about it too much, and you can always switch airframes after 3 or 4 years. If they do away with the FE position which I don't see happening in the near future, I am sure there would be openings to move into another 1A career field such as load or boomer. All the guys I have talked to and are FE's just absolutely love it

srawk48
08-12-2008, 06:32 PM
hey, i've been reading this stuff for a while but haven't said anything. I have a couple questions..

1. whats the deal with not going to a regular physician and only going to a flight surgeon after you get the results of your flight physical?? I went to a regular doctor the other day and all my friends are telling that i shouldnt of.. so now i dont know what to do.

2. How long does it take to get orders after you are told that you have a class seat? I got the rips to accept training early July and i turned in my extension paperwork yesterday but i'm getting extremely nervous. How long did it take those of you who already have thier orders to recieve them after class seat notifications and extension to your enlistment (if applicable).

3. Big blaze.. did you have any break between your bfe and survival school? i graduate bfe on decemeber 18th and start sere training 5 Jan. Its christmas break and i really dont want to go back to my squadron during that time.

4. Is there anyone else who starts class October 10th? My friend is in training right now and he just found out he is going to be the ONLY one in his BFE class.. Im hoping that there is at least one other person in mine.

Thank for the help!

BigBaze
08-12-2008, 07:03 PM
hey, i've been reading this stuff for a while but haven't said anything. I have a couple questions..

1. whats the deal with not going to a regular physician and only going to a flight surgeon after you get the results of your flight physical?? I went to a regular doctor the other day and all my friends are telling that i shouldnt of.. so now i dont know what to do.

It is ok to go to a regular physician after your flight physical is complete, just make sure you go see the flight doc afterwards and tell him that you saw someone other than a flight surgeon. If you do not, when you get to EAUC and do block 2 which is the altitude chamber at Randolph, you will be told you are DNIF (Duties not to include flying), and will not be allowed to go through the chamber. Since you are on flying status (and you will learn this as part of the course) there are a lot of over the counter medications you will not be allowed to take, and everything has to be approved by the flight doc. You can go to a regular doctor, just make sure to see the flight doc right afterwards so he can clear you.

2. How long does it take to get orders after you are told that you have a class seat? I got the rips to accept training early July and i turned in my extension paperwork yesterday but i'm getting extremely nervous. How long did it take those of you who already have thier orders to recieve them after class seat notifications and extension to your enlistment (if applicable).

It shouldn't take long. Once your supervisor and commander sign off your class rip, you turn it in to your MPF and orders should be cut shortly afterwards. You will get them in plenty of time to make your class dates. In my case the people doing my orders were those in the Formal Training section of my MPF.

3. Big blaze.. did you have any break between your bfe and survival school? i graduate bfe on decemeber 18th and start sere training 5 Jan. Its christmas break and i really dont want to go back to my squadron during that time.

I had about a week and a half break between BFE and SERE. Since EAUC, BFE, Parachute training, SERE and water survival were all back to back pretty much for me I just signed out of my squadron for that entire time, and asked for leave enroute between classes. You can work that out with your squadron and MPF.

4. Is there anyone else who starts class October 10th? My friend is in training right now and he just found out he is going to be the ONLY one in his BFE class.. Im hoping that there is at least one other person in mine.

Wow I would think there would be more then one in the class. Most of the classes run about 7-10 people through at a time

Thank for the help!

I hope I could answer your questions

BigBaze
08-12-2008, 07:06 PM
By the way, these flight suits are quite comfortable:)

Jetmac
08-12-2008, 07:08 PM
Good luck guys...

ChaplainC
08-13-2008, 04:17 AM
Yeah rub it in Big Baze!

I need to be some kind of Flight Chaplain or something! haha That would be really cool!

Blessings

dub13
08-13-2008, 04:34 AM
By the way, these flight suits are quite comfortable:)

Hellz ya they are!! I love how they take about 10 seconds to put on. And no more blousing straps:D

TheMrs
08-13-2008, 04:43 AM
So my husband is in his aircraft specific school right now and 7 months after him being TDY the school is at our original base so I see all the stuff he is studying and boy am I'm amazed on all of the things you guys have to know and memorize in such a short time.

JYossarian
08-13-2008, 07:47 AM
Just got my class dates through VMPF. I noticed it includes survival training courses which I believe are specific to A or B shred. Anyone know for sure if the shred picked at this point in the process?

P.S. Thanks to everyone who has posted very helpful info in this thread, which helped me decide to apply for this career field, and know what to expect.

srawk48
08-13-2008, 01:51 PM
thanks alot blaze. that cleared alot of things up for me. I think im going to call formal training here in a little bit and find out whats up with my orders cuz its definatly been a while since i signed my rips. When are you heading to mcguire? Im stationed here.. i talked to the chief FE in the 2nd airlift squadron and they all seem pretty kewl over there. Besides this base being in the middle of nowhere i think you'll like it... If you need any help with anything (even tho im sure your squadron will take good care of you) let me know.

dub13
08-13-2008, 03:36 PM
thanks alot blaze. that cleared alot of things up for me. I think im going to call formal training here in a little bit and find out whats up with my orders cuz its definatly been a while since i signed my rips.

I got my orders three days before I left. I was getting pretty nervous cuz they screwed them up and then had to get amendments for them. When you do finally get them sit there in there office(formal training) and go through each class listed on there before you leave there office. Originally my formal training didn't add my Emergency parachute, SERE, and water survival on there so that's why they had to send it back up to get the amendments. good luck!

BigBaze
08-13-2008, 10:30 PM
Just got my class dates through VMPF. I noticed it includes survival training courses which I believe are specific to A or B shred. Anyone know for sure if the shred picked at this point in the process?

P.S. Thanks to everyone who has posted very helpful info in this thread, which helped me decide to apply for this career field, and know what to expect.

There is no A or B shred. Sv80A is the SERE which all aircrew go through. SV80B is the parachute training course which is also done at Fairchild, and is for all fixed wing aircrew. (not helicopters) Your airframe will be assigned to you during block 3 of BFE after you fill out a "dream sheet" so to speak in EAUC. Regardless of what airframe you get you will go through Sv80A or the SERE. If you get fixed wing, you will do the SV80B Parachute training at Fairchild and the SV86A water survival training at Pensacola. If you get helicopters you will have something other than parachute training, some of you helo guys or gals can fill this in

TheMrs
08-13-2008, 11:40 PM
If you get helicopters you will have something other than parachute training, some of you helo guys or gals can fill this in

Water survival/ helo underwater evac

drblue917
08-14-2008, 06:25 AM
i already have all my calsses loaded for sere and all that and my BFE dosent start for another two months. so much for getting helo...mabye they can still add some classes in later on?

BigBaze
08-14-2008, 05:15 PM
i already have all my calsses loaded for sere and all that and my BFE dosent start for another two months. so much for getting helo...mabye they can still add some classes in later on?

Exactly. They load all the classes as if you are getting fixed wing. If they give you a helo assignment during block 3 of BFE then they will coordinate accordingly and schedule you for the appropriate helicopter survival courses. The guys up at the schoolhouse will work with you. EAUC and BFE cover fixed wing, helos, even CV-22. I would just worry about getting to Lackland and getting through the EAUC and BFE courses, everything else will fall into place!

BigBaze
08-14-2008, 05:19 PM
So my husband is in his aircraft specific school right now and 7 months after him being TDY the school is at our original base so I see all the stuff he is studying and boy am I'm amazed on all of the things you guys have to know and memorize in such a short time.

When you get to EAUC they tell you it is like turning on a garden hose full blast, then BFE is a fire hose full blast..I am starting to wonder what the flying training will be like:)

icetrey
08-14-2008, 08:18 PM
What up everyone? Just in case there's anyone out there in the same boat as I, I thought I would give you an update to the newly published retraining quotas. Unfourtunatly AFPC posted FE as a non chronic critical career field. With that said, I can't currently subit an application since mine is balanced. I've spoke to A-1 and they're working the issue...and pretty surprised and pissed this happened. Hopefully this gets changed soon.

BigBaze - Shoot me a line if you need any info or help about McGuire...CONGRATS MAN!

BigBaze
08-17-2008, 07:29 PM
What up everyone? Just in case there's anyone out there in the same boat as I, I thought I would give you an update to the newly published retraining quotas. Unfourtunatly AFPC posted FE as a non chronic critical career field. With that said, I can't currently subit an application since mine is balanced. I've spoke to A-1 and they're working the issue...and pretty surprised and pissed this happened. Hopefully this gets changed soon.

BigBaze - Shoot me a line if you need any info or help about McGuire...CONGRATS MAN!

Damn Trey hope you get it worked out. I just arrived at McGuire, and billeting was full so I am off base, kinda nice, it was cool seeing the KC10 flying around already as I came in!

srawk48
08-18-2008, 12:51 PM
Damn Trey hope you get it worked out. I just arrived at McGuire, and billeting was full so I am off base, kinda nice, it was cool seeing the KC10 flying around already as I came in!

Yeah the KC-10's are pretty kewl here. I work in maintenance inspection section here atMcGuire so i see them and the C-17's all the time... I'm currently staring at a KC-10 right now and its not so kewl when its in front of you all torn apart and having to get inspected and repaired :P
Anywayz welcome to jersey.. I can't wait for my FE class to start to get done with all the tech school and hopefully come back and start flying 10's.
Still dont have any orders (wish i could see i'm patiently waiting but i'm not) can't wait!!!!

BigBaze
08-18-2008, 01:02 PM
Yeah the KC-10's are pretty kewl here. I work in maintenance inspection section here atMcGuire so i see them and the C-17's all the time... I'm currently staring at a KC-10 right now and its not so kewl when its in front of you all torn apart and having to get inspected and repaired :P
Anywayz welcome to jersey.. I can't wait for my FE class to start to get done with all the tech school and hopefully come back and start flying 10's.
Still dont have any orders (wish i could see i'm patiently waiting but i'm not) can't wait!!!!

The fact that you are already stationed here gives you a very good chance that you will come right back here on -10's because the first thing the functional manager will say when he gives you the brief at Lackland, is that: if he doesn't have to PCS you, he won't. We had a guy from Robins who worked on JSTARS and he put them very last on his dream sheet, and he got them anyhow:) Thank you for the welcome, I get to start the inprocessing circus today

srawk48
08-18-2008, 03:03 PM
boo. i just found out that since i'm in my reenlistment window that i have to reenlist and i'm not able to extend.. meaning i have to reenlist under my crew chief title instead of reenlisting once i recieved the flight engineer shred = i dont get a bonus! :mad: so upsetting! ] well hopefully the job is worth not getting a bonus...

icetrey
08-18-2008, 05:59 PM
boo. i just found out that since i'm in my reenlistment window that i have to reenlist and i'm not able to extend.. meaning i have to reenlist under my crew chief title instead of reenlisting once i recieved the flight engineer shred = i dont get a bonus! so upsetting! ] well hopefully the job is worth not getting a bonus...

Are you retraining as a FTA?

BigBaze
08-18-2008, 08:32 PM
boo. i just found out that since i'm in my reenlistment window that i have to reenlist and i'm not able to extend.. meaning i have to reenlist under my crew chief title instead of reenlisting once i recieved the flight engineer shred = i dont get a bonus! :mad: so upsetting! ] well hopefully the job is worth not getting a bonus...

Yep I had to do the exact same thing! They have it set up that way so you have to be in the career field for a whole enlistment before getting the bonus. I guess it is only fair for the guys who have been flying already. Well maybe when my time to reup comes around I will be a TSgt and be deployed:) I just went to my squadron up here at McGuire for the first time today and it was awesome, everyone is really great, totally different from my experience in the AETC fighter world:>

TheMrs
08-19-2008, 01:28 AM

Bummer. Same thing happend with the husband....

srawk48
08-19-2008, 12:53 PM
Yep I had to do the exact same thing! They have it set up that way so you have to be in the career field for a whole enlistment before getting the bonus. I guess it is only fair for the guys who have been flying already. Well maybe when my time to reup comes around I will be a TSgt and be deployed:) I just went to my squadron up here at McGuire for the first time today and it was awesome, everyone is really great, totally different from my experience in the AETC fighter world:>

yeah.. hopefully the same thing happens to me :) tax free bonus and TSgt pay would be nice. i test next year but i dont have any time to study cuz i have classes right now and then i have to go to tech school so i know i'm not gona have any time to study for tech while i'm there since i hear its very demanding and i have to focus on that.. my friend is going to the altitude chamber today! can't wait to hear all about it.

Baze what squadron are you in the 2nd or the other one?.. i dont remember what number the other one is.

srawk48
08-19-2008, 12:54 PM
Are you retraining as a FTA?

yeah i am...

BigBaze
08-19-2008, 10:48 PM
yeah.. hopefully the same thing happens to me :) tax free bonus and TSgt pay would be nice. i test next year but i dont have any time to study cuz i have classes right now and then i have to go to tech school so i know i'm not gona have any time to study for tech while i'm there since i hear its very demanding and i have to focus on that.. my friend is going to the altitude chamber today! can't wait to hear all about it.

Baze what squadron are you in the 2nd or the other one?.. i dont remember what number the other one is.

I am in the 2nd, the other active duty one is the 32nd and then I think they have a Reserve squadron too. I got out to the aircraft today and got a walk around and then I got about 50 pounds of flight manuals!!! So I am nose deep in them already. The 2nd here is pretty undermanned so I would think if any of you guys get McGuire you will be coming to the 2nd.

srawk48
08-20-2008, 12:52 PM
I am in the 2nd, the other active duty one is the 32nd and then I think they have a Reserve squadron too. I got out to the aircraft today and got a walk around and then I got about 50 pounds of flight manuals!!! So I am nose deep in them already. The 2nd here is pretty undermanned so I would think if any of you guys get McGuire you will be coming to the 2nd.

sweet im hoping to get mcguire and as well as go to the 2nd as well. from what i hear its the better of the two squadrons.
The 32nd has a reserve squadron. but i think they are considered the 78th. My friend is in the squadron but he's currently in BFE.

BigBaze
08-20-2008, 01:03 PM
sweet im hoping to get mcguire and as well as go to the 2nd as well. from what i hear its the better of the two squadrons.
The 32nd has a reserve squadron. but i think they are considered the 78th. My friend is in the squadron but he's currently in BFE.

yeah I just found out I will be going through precourse and FTU with one other FE who is a Reserve guy

drblue917
08-20-2008, 04:37 PM
I have read a couple posts mentioning the altitude chamber. I was wondering if anyone could explain what exactly this is all about. Is this a pass fail thing too or is it just something to get you used to what you will be experiencing? I understand it simulates altitude but was just wondering if there was some gore stories or something that could be shared?

icetrey
08-20-2008, 05:29 PM
I have read a couple posts mentioning the altitude chamber. I was wondering if anyone could explain what exactly this is all about. Is this a pass fail thing too or is it just something to get you used to what you will be experiencing? I understand it simulates altitude but was just wondering if there was some gore stories or something that could be shared?

Although I haven't (yet) been accepted to retrain, I've been to the chamber due to my current AFSC, but at Kadena. Yes, it is a pass/fail, but not to the extent of your formal BFE academics. Think of it more as Flight Physiology class, with a basic EOC test...nothing too much to sweat about, but fun while your there. I'm sure the folks on this forum that's been to the San Antonio class will say basically the same thing...hopefully this helps.

AfricanSnowOwl
08-20-2008, 11:16 PM
I thought the chamber was a lot of fun. You go through it in block 2 of ACF. You sit through a long and boring class, then goto the chamber. You fill out a really simple worksheet while in the chamber to show you what the symptoms of hypoxia are, and how retarded you become while hypoxic. Then at the end of the day you take an open book block test over it.

BigBaze
08-21-2008, 12:09 AM
I thought the chamber was a lot of fun. You go through it in block 2 of ACF. You sit through a long and boring class, then goto the chamber. You fill out a really simple worksheet while in the chamber to show you what the symptoms of hypoxia are, and how retarded you become while hypoxic. Then at the end of the day you take an open book block test over it.

Yeah it is pretty overrated, I thought the rapid decompression was going to be more than it was. It is funny watching the effects the lack of oxygen has on some people, that is one wierd feeling having hypoxia. The test is open book like said before so it is nothing. Now let me get back into my Dash 1 and my other 2 manuals:)

srawk48
08-21-2008, 02:31 PM
yeah I just found out I will be going through precourse and FTU with one other FE who is a Reserve guy

when does your FTU class start?

AfricanSnowOwl
08-21-2008, 11:25 PM
I finally got my assignment today. KC-10s outta McGuire. One other guy in my class also got the same assignment.

BigBaze
08-22-2008, 12:04 AM
when does your FTU class start?

my precourse with Flightsafety starts Sept 12 and I think FTU is a couple months after that

BigBaze
08-22-2008, 12:05 AM
I finally got my assignment today. KC-10s outta McGuire. One other guy in my class also got the same assignment.

I bet both of you guys are coming to the 2nd, we are very undermanned. I'll keep my eye out for any new people showing up, if you have any questions about McGuire let me know. You will be coming to either the 2nd or 32nd

AfricanSnowOwl
08-22-2008, 03:25 AM
I bet both of you guys are coming to the 2nd, we are very undermanned. I'll keep my eye out for any new people showing up, if you have any questions about McGuire let me know. You will be coming to either the 2nd or 32nd

So are the 2nd and 32nd both under the 305th ops group?

srawk48
08-22-2008, 01:04 PM
hey.. for those of you coming to mcguire.. was that your first choice? kc10's?? i'm hoping they still need people by the time i get my orders.. i have a house here and i REALLY wana stay in jersey..
Did Randolph or anything like that say how many people they needed here or if they were undermanned or anything of that sort..??

How do i find out what bases/aircrafts need FE's?

BAZE- i think i know who your going through FTU with.. Well its either one of two people.. one guy is in class right now and should be graduating soon and the other one is in BFE right now and graduates in OCT. Either way they are both pretty kewl so you should have a pretty good 2 man class.

BigBaze
08-22-2008, 11:44 PM
So are the 2nd and 32nd both under the 305th ops group?

Yep, your assignment will initially read 305th Ops group and when the time gets closer it will read what squadron you are coming to. The 2nd is really cool, AMC is sooo different from the AETC world:)

BigBaze
08-22-2008, 11:45 PM

BAZE- i think i know who your going through FTU with.. Well its either one of two people.. one guy is in class right now and should be graduating soon and the other one is in BFE right now and graduates in OCT. Either way they are both pretty kewl so you should have a pretty good 2 man class.[/quote]

I don't know how you find out what bases are undermanned, I know the 2nd sure is though! You have a very good chance of coming back here since you

a. Live here already
b. are a KC10 guy already

I can't wait for the class, I dropped by the Flightsafety place and talked to my instructors so I can't wait, I am in the process of updating all my pubs right now

Vitofly
08-24-2008, 03:47 PM
I'll probably be snagging one of those school slots for KC-10's at McGuire within the next 6 months. I'm pending Humanitarian/EFMP orders to McGuire for my sons medical care; should have a RNLT of October timeframe (my 6th PCS). I'm currently an FTU Instructor FE out at the 62 AS at the Rock. Started out as a C-130H3 FE at the 50th here at LRAFB then crossed over to AFSOC & flew the MC-130H Combat Talon II as an instructor at Kadena for 4 years (loved it with a passion), then my son was born 3 1/2 months premature with severe medical complications in Dec 06.

So anyway if you hear about a guy they call Vito - that's me. Been talking to the 1A1 Functional weekly and tomorrow (Monday) the McGuire MDG will be approving my package (they denied it the first time until I got our MDG here to talk to them).

After flying 8 years of low, slow & SOF ops I'm looking forward to something new. I've loved every bit of my career as an FE (wouldn't want to do anything else).:cool:

BigBaze
08-24-2008, 03:51 PM
I'll probably be snagging one of those school slots for KC-10's at McGuire within the next 6 months. I'm pending Humanitarian/EFMP orders to McGuire for my sons medical care; should have a RNLT of October timeframe (my 6th PCS). I'm currently an FTU Instructor FE out at the 62 AS at the Rock. Started out as a C-130H3 FE at the 50th here at LRAFB then crossed over to AFSOC & flew the MC-130H Combat Talon II as an instructor at Kadena for 4 years (loved it with a passion), then my son was born 3 1/2 months premature with severe medical complications in Dec 06.

So anyway if you hear about a guy they call Vito - that's me. Been talking to the 1A1 Functional weekly and tomorrow (Monday) the McGuire MDG will be approving my package (they denied it the first time until I got our MDG here to talk to them).

After flying 8 years of low, slow & SOF ops I'm looking forward to something new. I've loved every bit of my career as an FE (wouldn't want to do anything else).:cool:

I'll look for you, as I said we are hurting for people here in the 2nd so you may be coming here. I have been talking to the guys here, since I have yet to go to FTU and they said this airframe is a real breeze especially to you guys coming from the Herc world. I am enjoying my time here, almost through with updating my first pubs:)...good luck, hope to see you up here soon

ArcticChilla
08-25-2008, 01:17 PM
74 days and counting!

Can't freakin wait to get outta here and start FE Training!

ROLL call for everyone else in the 7 November start class:

srawk48
08-25-2008, 01:34 PM
74 days and counting!

Can't freakin wait to get outta here and start FE Training!

ROLL call for everyone else in the 7 November start class:

I know exactly how you feel! i cannot wait until my school starts!!!
I know one person from my squadron that starts class on NOV. 7th.. so that sone for your rollcall..

Does anyone start class on OCT 10th?

rendiculous
08-25-2008, 02:37 PM
Nov. 7th baby! I feel like I've been waiting forever! I found out almost 3 months ago.

srawk48
08-25-2008, 04:36 PM

BAZE- i think i know who your going through FTU with.. Well its either one of two people.. one guy is in class right now and should be graduating soon and the other one is in BFE right now and graduates in OCT. Either way they are both pretty kewl so you should have a pretty good 2 man class.

I don't know how you find out what bases are undermanned, I know the 2nd sure is though! You have a very good chance of coming back here since you

a. Live here already
b. are a KC10 guy already

I can't wait for the class, I dropped by the Flightsafety place and talked to my instructors so I can't wait, I am in the process of updating all my pubs right now[/QUOTE]

sounds good..
a. is correct i just got here less than a year ago so i doubt they would be spending more money to pcs me elsewhere
b. i'm not KC10's. We are dual qualified to work both the KC-10s and C-17's in my shop but my background is on C-130's. I worked on them for almost four years before i got to McGuire and i have a C-17 Shred.

drblue917
08-25-2008, 07:47 PM
i have a class start date for 24 Oct so im sure i will be seing you there.

ArcticChilla
08-25-2008, 10:13 PM
Nov. 7th baby! I feel like I've been waiting forever! I found out almost 3 months ago.

Did you get the rest of your class dates yet? I have all except my final school.

Stoked to get down there and start grinding on some classwork....and of course Six flags!

srawk48
08-26-2008, 02:39 PM
i have a class start date for 24 Oct so im sure i will be seing you there.

Do you have your orders yet?

no_mo_3C0
08-26-2008, 09:30 PM
This is the best FE retraining forum I have found!!! Question for you guys...AFPC denied my request to retrain due to a assignment availability code (AAC) 32 of join spouse not expiring until FY2010. Does anybody know if something like that is waiverable? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

drblue917
08-27-2008, 12:14 AM
Do you have your orders yet?

no orders yet! they are actually sending me to ALS now so im gonna have to go back to the shop and check my email from time to time to make sure i get them. im guessin they come in email or mabye from the flight im not sure.

BigBaze
08-27-2008, 01:04 AM
This is the best FE retraining forum I have found!!! Question for you guys...AFPC denied my request to retrain due to a assignment availability code (AAC) 32 of join spouse not expiring until FY2010. Does anybody know if something like that is waiverable? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

I don't know about that one, you might have to ask AFPC...:>

Vitofly
08-27-2008, 02:30 AM
Remember the cardinal rule - everything is waiverable. It's all about what & who you know. If it were me I would start by asking my local MPF many questions to include:

1. Is it waiverable & how?
2. What AFI covers this?
3. Who's the local expert on this type of issue?

Then I'd call the Militaryonesource and have them research it in detail for you - their good I've used them before.

Lastly I'd call the AFPC Contact Center at DSN 665-5000 and ask them to refer you to the appropriate office concerning your question. Sometimes they can answer the questions on the spot.

Never accept no.

After your done with all that if you don't have an answer that is right, find a nice dark corner and call it end game - LOL!:cool:

BigBaze
08-27-2008, 03:27 AM
Hey Vito how's it looking with your situation in coming to McGuire?

Vitofly
08-27-2008, 03:34 AM
It's looking great; I'm just waiting on the SGH in the EFMP office at the McGuire MDG to send my approved package back up to AFPC so they can coordinate with SMSgt Doss, get my school dates, and cut my orders. So unless something crazy happens I should have orders this week or next week at the latest with a RNLT of Oct (I plan to depart LRAFB late Sept to allow my house to get rented out) and take some leave in NY with the family and then report in Oct. I've got a ton of stuff to coordinate on arrival for my son so I also requested a 6 month TDY deferment from AFPC. We'll see if that gets approved or not.

We shall see.

rendiculous
08-27-2008, 07:33 PM
Did you get the rest of your class dates yet? I have all except my final school.

Stoked to get down there and start grinding on some classwork....and of course Six flags!

yeah...I finish up with BFE at the end of January and then parachuting 6 Feb, SERE 9 Feb, and water survival March 3rd.

rendiculous
08-27-2008, 07:40 PM

Alright...so what exactly is FTU...is that the aircraft specific training?

BigBaze
08-27-2008, 08:50 PM
Yes it is the airframe specific school you go to after completing EAUC, BFE and all your SERE. For me on KC10's it is the flying school here at McGuire

no_mo_3C0
08-27-2008, 11:41 PM
Remember the cardinal rule - everything is waiverable. It's all about what & who you know. If it were me I would start by asking my local MPF many questions to include:

1. Is it waiverable & how?
2. What AFI covers this?
3. Who's the local expert on this type of issue?

Then I'd call the Militaryonesource and have them research it in detail for you - their good I've used them before.

Lastly I'd call the AFPC Contact Center at DSN 665-5000 and ask them to refer you to the appropriate office concerning your question. Sometimes they can answer the questions on the spot.

Never accept no.

After your done with all that if you don't have an answer that is right, find a nice dark corner and call it end game - LOL!

Thanks Vito....I will use some other agencies to include the Career Advisor to see what they come up with. Time to get out from behind the desk!!

Kegler
08-28-2008, 01:28 AM
[/I]

Alright...so what exactly is FTU...is that the aircraft specific training?

FTU = Formal Training Unit = specific MWS training. Yup...you are right....good luck

Vitofly
08-28-2008, 01:30 AM
Well the McGuire Medical Group approved my request today and submitted it to AFPC so I should have orders any day now. I'm expecting to be at McGuire in October and have a school slot for March 09 which will give me plenty of time to get my medically complex child established into the civilian medical system (Children's Hospital of Philadelphia) and the community resources he'll need.

Yeah the FTU is where you learn all the details of how to do your specific job on your assigned aircraft - that's where it gets fun & challenging for suret; I'm an FTU instructor for the C-130 course here at Little Rock AFB.

Kegler
08-28-2008, 01:36 AM
This is the best FE retraining forum I have found!!! Question for you guys...AFPC denied my request to retrain due to a assignment availability code (AAC) 32 of join spouse not expiring until FY2010. Does anybody know if something like that is waiverable? Any info would be greatly appreciated.\

36-2110 is the assignments reg. The first question is: are you on a base now with a MDS with FEs? If so...should be an easy kill, but will take phone calls from you to do it. If not...how long have you been on your current base and did they specifically move you or her to match a Join Spouse? Lots in play. Waivers are granted...but with a FY2010 expiration...you havent been or your wife hasnt been there that long. PCS funds are tight and will drive some retraining actions.

srawk48
08-28-2008, 03:31 PM
Well the McGuire Medical Group approved my request today and submitted it to AFPC so I should have orders any day now. I'm expecting to be at McGuire in October and have a school slot for March 09 which will give me plenty of time to get my medically complex child established into the civilian medical system (Children's Hospital of Philadelphia) and the community resources he'll need.

Yeah the FTU is where you learn all the details of how to do your specific job on your assigned aircraft - that's where it gets fun & challenging for suret; I'm an FTU instructor for the C-130 course here at Little Rock AFB.

Hey VITO! Do you know the FE situation for C-130's?? I worked on them for 3 years as a crew chief and then they stationed me at mcguire last September to work both the C-17's and KC-10's. Would you happen to know how the manning with C-130 FE's are right now?? PLEASE TELL ME THEY ARE OVERMANNED AND AREN'T LOOKING FOR PEOPLE!! ha.. i want to fly KC-10's and NOT c'130's!

Vitofly
08-29-2008, 12:08 AM
I'm not going to lie, the pipeline for C-130 FE's is flowing smoothly with no end in sight and the only person who can truly answer that question is SMSgt Jeffrey Doss the 1A1 Functional Manager.

Based on my experience C-130's always need a greater number of engineer's than the other airframes however, theirs no reason for me to tell you that going straight to KC-10's is impossible - it's not. To say anything else would be a guess on my part; I simply don't have the view of the force levels that SMSgt Doss would have at his level of management.

RandomD
08-29-2008, 01:26 PM
I know exactly how you feel! i cannot wait until my school starts!!!
I know one person from my squadron that starts class on NOV. 7th.. so that sone for your rollcall..

Does anyone start class on OCT 10th?

Yep, I'll be in class with you on the 10th.

BigBaze
09-01-2008, 10:03 PM
I'm not going to lie, the pipeline for C-130 FE's is flowing smoothly with no end in sight and the only person who can truly answer that question is SMSgt Jeffrey Doss the 1A1 Functional Manager.

Based on my experience C-130's always need a greater number of engineer's than the other airframes however, theirs no reason for me to tell you that going straight to KC-10's is impossible - it's not. To say anything else would be a guess on my part; I simply don't have the view of the force levels that SMSgt Doss would have at his level of management.

as I witnessed through BFE, going to all the graduations, the need for different airframes changes quite frequently, one class got mostly C130, another mostly helos, and yet another was getting KC10, C5 etc. From what the FE's up here at McGuire have been telling me I am lucky to go straight to the KC10 because in the past it was an airframe that you went to after being on something like C130 etc because the 10 is such a FE friendly aircraft so to speak, compared to helos or Hercs. It is just up here at McGuire they have lost so many people without them being replaced, and as of now we are very undermanned. So if any of you want KC10's I would definitely put for them, because we need people up here! I start my initial flight school Sept 12 so maybe I will see some of you up here.

Vitofly
09-02-2008, 01:01 AM
Yep, I'll be at McGuire near the end of this month and don't start school until March 09 (no other school slots available). My final out from Little Rock is 12 Sep (my orders dropped Friday). The long time until school gives me time to get my son settled into the civilian medical system & state disability resources (I had requested a 6 month TDY deferment but it wasn't necessary considering the lack of training slots until 09).

BigBaze
09-02-2008, 01:21 AM
that is awesome, are you coming to the 2nd or 32nd?

srawk48
09-02-2008, 04:14 PM
Yep, I'll be in class with you on the 10th.

sweet. im glad i finally found someone who is going to be in the class with me. can't wait!!!
i have 3 more weeks of work and then i'm taking leave and heading to texas...

Hitman
09-02-2008, 05:23 PM
I'm finally eligible to start my retrain process. But I was told I cant wear contacts for 30 days and it will take 45-60 days to do the whole fight physical. Is this standard? My options are limited do to the fact that I'm in Alaska and have only a short time before my window closes and so few slots for TSgt.

RandomD
09-02-2008, 08:42 PM
sweet. im glad i finally found someone who is going to be in the class with me. can't wait!!!
i have 3 more weeks of work and then i'm taking leave and heading to texas...

Yeah, im still deployed. I have a couple weeks left here... then back to the states, then down to TX. I think there are a couple other guys from Ellsworth that are going to be there... I was looking at the training rip. I wasn't the only one on it. Where you coming from?

Kegler
09-02-2008, 10:44 PM
I'm finally eligible to start my retrain process. But I was told I cant wear contacts for 30 days and it will take 45-60 days to do the whole fight physical. Is this standard? My options are limited do to the fact that I'm in Alaska and have only a short time before my window closes and so few slots for TSgt.

Good thing you dont wear hard contacts. The prohibition is then 90 days. AFI 48-123 V3 is the instruction that covers the flight physical. The initial physical usually does take that long...sorry. Just hope you dont need a waiver of any type because that could even take longer. After your initial the yearly ones take just the morning. If you walk in on your own and are breathing on your own...you usually scream through. The initial is a pain due to all the tests etc. They cant even start the eyes part until you are contact free for 30 days. Keep your head up....should all work out for you.

Also, if for some reason all the TSgt slots close. Apply for an exception to policy and ask AFPC to swap a slot for you. As long as slots are available (one up one down ie MSgt/SSgt) they will really look at it and most of the time approve it if you are qualified for the job. Just keep trying and dont give up:thumbup:

Hitman
09-03-2008, 01:17 AM
Is Flight Med going to really know if I have been wearing my glasses for 30 days? I just can't stand wearing my glasses all the time. But if I have to I will its just not going to be fun. Thanks Kegler, you have the best information I have heard all day. I was actually thinking of just quiting and staying with what I'm doing instead of retraining.

ArcticChilla
09-03-2008, 01:43 AM
I'm aiming for C-130's....I think....lol. I want a challenging job and something that I can see the world with. I want to be deployed and want to be TDY. Looking for some change. As many of you did I hate my job.....we're now working 7 days a week of 16hr days punching out checklists becuase some other nuke base screwed up again. Getting sick of paying the piper over and over and over. 5 years is enough....time for something I can wake up to and smile. Hoping that this will fill the slot.

Anways.....59 days!

AfricanSnowOwl
09-03-2008, 02:25 AM
Started block 6 today, just 4 more tests to go!

Kegler
09-03-2008, 02:31 AM
Is Flight Med going to really know if I have been wearing my glasses for 30 days? I just can't stand wearing my glasses all the time. But if I have to I will its just not going to be fun. Thanks Kegler, you have the best information I have heard all day. I was actually thinking of just quiting and staying with what I'm doing instead of retraining.

They probably can Hitman. The contact lens will actually leave an impression and can change the shape of the cornea. Just like wearing a ring for a long time...the impression can take awhile to reshape. I am not a Doctor and dont know if it actually takes up to 30 days. Dont quit...you will probably regret it. Alot of what we do is not fun, but we suck it up and do it anyway because the fun definitely will outweigh the suck!

Vitofly
09-03-2008, 03:45 AM
Kegler - I don't know yet which squadron I'm going to yet.

I'm on the Flyers Contact Lens Program and remember having to stop wearing my contacts (that I wore before flying) for over 30 days. It's absolutely necessary because they need your eyes to stabilize at baseline for all the tests to be valid. Take the word from someone who's caused damaged to his eyes with contacts before - it's the quickest way to loose your flying career or opportunity for one.

I spent months in the hospital with my son and due to the extreme stress my eyes developed hypoxic legions from the lack of oxygen due to wearing the contacts during that time. I was lucky - stopped wearing them for 90 days and with steroid eye drop treatment was able to recover but still 17 months later the eye doc's can see signs of where they were.

So take care of those eyes because when it comes to being an FE we put a lot of wear & tear on them and need them in top shape for staring at tiny needles all day (among other things).

Good luck!!

Hitman
09-03-2008, 06:17 AM
Thanks for the motivation, I almost was going to give up but I'll stick it out. I know I love to fly, I've been a flying crew chief for the past 7 years, and don't want to give up my flying anytime soon. I wont cheat and will wait my 30 days so I can get this FE career going. Thanks again!

srawk48
09-03-2008, 12:42 PM
Yeah, im still deployed. I have a couple weeks left here... then back to the states, then down to TX. I think there are a couple other guys from Ellsworth that are going to be there... I was looking at the training rip. I wasn't the only one on it. Where you coming from?

Where did you see a training rip that actually had names on it? I dont think i got anything like that.. I'm still waiting on my orders too.. seems like its taking forever for them to get them to me.
I'm coming from McGuire... 3 more weeks before leave!

TheShaggy
09-03-2008, 11:14 PM

I always forget about the glasses thing. I end up taking the contacts out just before I get to flight med and they never say anything to me about it.

BigBaze
09-04-2008, 04:22 AM
Thanks for the motivation, I almost was going to give up but I'll stick it out. I know I love to fly, I've been a flying crew chief for the past 7 years, and don't want to give up my flying anytime soon. I wont cheat and will wait my 30 days so I can get this FE career going. Thanks again!

There you go, stick with it, the application process is what it is..a process, I finally start my flying school next week, just under a year after I first applied! Once you get in EAUC and BFE, time flies!

drblue917
09-05-2008, 12:02 AM
i have a question about orders. those of you that got to drive is there anything on the orders that say if you are driving? the only reason im asking is because i filled out the initial training rip and i was approved to drive my pov but on my orders in the pov section nothing is marked? just wondering if im gonna have to go back and get this changed.

BigBaze
09-05-2008, 03:35 AM
i have a question about orders. those of you that got to drive is there anything on the orders that say if you are driving? the only reason im asking is because i filled out the initial training rip and i was approved to drive my pov but on my orders in the pov section nothing is marked? just wondering if im gonna have to go back and get this changed.

I would check with the formal training section or whoever cut your orders, but I drove to the school and my orders did not have it on there either.

rendiculous
09-05-2008, 03:18 PM
I was talking to a SMSgt flight engineer who I go to school with and he mentioned something about being an FE on G5's. Until he brought it up, I had no idea that G5's had FE's. Does anyone who has been through the course have any info on this? I can't imagine that there would be many slots for this aircraft, and it's not that I'm necessarily interested in flying DV's around all day, I'm just curious.

RandomD
09-05-2008, 08:51 PM
Where did you see a training rip that actually had names on it? I dont think i got anything like that.. I'm still waiting on my orders too.. seems like its taking forever for them to get them to me.
I'm coming from McGuire... 3 more weeks before leave!

It was on my rip to accept or decline formal training, there were two other guys that had to either accept or decline the same class... i assume they are going to be there. lol.

McGuire? My old roommate just PCSd there. I needed a way out of Ellsworth. Cross-training looked the easiest. I received my orders yesterday... upside down and a horrible copy. Some peoples jobs... must be rough. They work though... Now to just get out of Africa.

AfricanSnowOwl
09-05-2008, 10:26 PM
I was talking to a SMSgt flight engineer who I go to school with and he mentioned something about being an FE on G5's. Until he brought it up, I had no idea that G5's had FE's. Does anyone who has been through the course have any info on this? I can't imagine that there would be many slots for this aircraft, and it's not that I'm necessarily interested in flying DV's around all day, I'm just curious.

That aircraft isn't an option until you've been an FE for 3 years and have 500hrs. The only aircraft available to brand new FE's are: KC-10, C-5, C-130, E-3, E-8, HH-60, and the UH-1.

BigBaze
09-07-2008, 05:01 AM

From what I hear if you get selected for that job they send you to A&P school for that aircraft which would be something. I don't think I could handle the whole DV thing.:) My flight school got pushed back a whole month because of a glitch in the system, they gave my slot to a guy from the Dutch Air Force:) Oh well, it gives me a chance to go up on more flights and study my manuals more before school..anyone got KC10 flight school dates for Oct 6?:> keep on keeping on guys and gals

srawk48
09-08-2008, 12:42 PM
It was on my rip to accept or decline formal training, there were two other guys that had to either accept or decline the same class... i assume they are going to be there. lol.

McGuire? My old roommate just PCSd there. I needed a way out of Ellsworth. Cross-training looked the easiest. I received my orders yesterday... upside down and a horrible copy. Some peoples jobs... must be rough. They work though... Now to just get out of Africa.

Retraining was my way to get out of inspection section.. doing the same thing over and over on both kc-10s and c-17s isnt bad, i dont mind that part.. but this section is like the worst supervision that i have ever worked for.. and i worked for osme pretty ugh people.

Im starting to worry i still dont have my orders and my leave starts next week. Friday is my last day of work ... hope those orders drop really soon!

srawk48
09-08-2008, 01:49 PM
sorry.. one more question.

RandomD - how did you recieve your orders? did you get an email with them in it or did you have to look at vmpf to see if they were loaded somewhere there..
i know i have alot of questions and comments about orders but im just ready to get school started and i'm super anxious!

drblue917
09-09-2008, 04:11 AM

RandomD - how did you recieve your orders? did you get an email with them in it or did you have to look at vmpf to see if they were loaded somewhere there..
i know i have alot of questions and comments about orders but im just ready to get school started and i'm super anxious!

i realize im not RandomD but the way i got mine was email notification. i got a notification from my squadron (email) telling me to pick up my orders at MPF Customer Service.

Kegler
09-10-2008, 02:42 AM

Srawk....if you are coming back home station after your school...it is the MPF Formal Training shops job. I would be going over there now!

srawk48
09-11-2008, 12:33 PM
Finally recieved my orders yesterday.. tomorrow is my last day of work.. well half day or work cuz i def do not plan on being here any longer than i have to. My orders dont say anything about driving either although i have some travel voucher checklist and some other list that mentions to go to finance to arrange pay or something like that for travel arrangements. Dont really know what i am suppose to do there but maybe someone there or someone here can tell me what that is all about..
Hope everyone who is in class now is doing well and i'll see the rest of you guys at lackland! :)

ArcticChilla
09-11-2008, 01:34 PM
Finally recieved my orders yesterday.. tomorrow is my last day of work.. well half day or work cuz i def do not plan on being here any longer than i have to. My orders dont say anything about driving either although i have some travel voucher checklist and some other list that mentions to go to finance to arrange pay or something like that for travel arrangements. Dont really know what i am suppose to do there but maybe someone there or someone here can tell me what that is all about..
Hope everyone who is in class now is doing well and i'll see the rest of you guys at lackland! :)

Talk to formal training. They are the ones who should be able to help you with travel questions.

I'll probably see you in a couple months!

RandomD
09-11-2008, 04:57 PM

Hey, I got mine emailed to me from the MPE at Ellsworth. I haven't been on virtual in a while, not sure if they show up there or not. I'm guessing not, Get with your MPE.

RandomD
09-11-2008, 05:00 PM
Hey, I got mine emailed to me from the MPE at Ellsworth. I haven't been on virtual in a while, not sure if they show up there or not. I'm guessing not, Get with your MPE.

I also noticed you got this answered once or twice already. glad you got em, i guess i'll be seein ya in lackland.

BigBaze
09-12-2008, 03:11 PM
It's good to hear you guys have orders dropping. I am doing well up at McGuire, just working through my manuals since my flight school got pushed back to Oct 6. They do have me sitting in on mission briefs and shadowing preflights so it is helping me out for when my ground school starts. I am going up on a misison next week so I can't wait. You guys keep on keepin on....

QuietDisaster
09-12-2008, 08:20 PM
I was wondering. I want to cross train to be a FE. Have wanted to forever. Can I go ahead and submit a request for training before my 3 yr mark. I am over 2 and a half right now. That way I can have everything I need for the application ready by my 3 yr mark.

BigBaze
09-12-2008, 11:56 PM
I was wondering. I want to cross train to be a FE. Have wanted to forever. Can I go ahead and submit a request for training before my 3 yr mark. I am over 2 and a half right now. That way I can have everything I need for the application ready by my 3 yr mark.

Go to flight medicine at your base clinic or hospital and tell them you need a Class 3 flight physical to crosstrain into flight engineer. That process takes a little while because they have to review your medical records, give you the physical and have it approved by higher headquarters. You can only officially apply at your 3 year mark, and when you do , AFPC will let you know all the other things you need (usually, depends on who you get) You can get copies of all your EPR's, and first and foremost notify your supervisor so he knows and can inform the chain of command. You apply over vMPF though

drblue917
09-14-2008, 01:37 AM

i cant remember where exactly i read it but you can apply for retraining into FE at any time the retraining window does not apply for certain or flight career fields.

BigBaze
09-14-2008, 01:59 AM
i cant remember where exactly i read it but you can apply for retraining into FE at any time the retraining window does not apply for certain or flight career fields.

When I applied a year ago you needed at least 3 years TIS to apply, but it may have changed, call AFPC and check

QuietDisaster
09-15-2008, 04:51 PM
When I applied a year ago you needed at least 3 years TIS to apply, but it may have changed, call AFPC and check

I got an email today saying I was approved to crosstrain! Now I have to start the long application process.

BigBaze
09-15-2008, 06:30 PM
I got an email today saying I was approved to crosstrain! Now I have to start the long application process.

Congrats! Yeah be prepared for a long process, even after you submit the package, getting all the schools lined up. If there are classes available, the CEA functional manager is pretty good at getting you a class date. It is all worth it in the end. Good luck!

QuietDisaster
09-15-2008, 09:01 PM
Congrats! Yeah be prepared for a long process, even after you submit the package, getting all the schools lined up. If there are classes available, the CEA functional manager is pretty good at getting you a class date. It is all worth it in the end. Good luck!

Thanks! im really looking forward to it.

BigBaze
09-15-2008, 09:53 PM
Thanks! im really looking forward to it.

you are welcome! Don't worry about the rest of your classes, just go down to Lackland and study your ass off, that is all you need to do. The instructors will work with you and help you get lined up for your survival schools etc.

QuietDisaster
09-15-2008, 10:17 PM
you are welcome! Don't worry about the rest of your classes, just go down to Lackland and study your ass off, that is all you need to do. The instructors will work with you and help you get lined up for your survival schools etc.

Another question i have is what all does the flight physical involve? are they real strict about stuff? I dont have any problems just wondering?

BigBaze
09-15-2008, 10:24 PM
Another question i have is what all does the flight physical involve? are they real strict about stuff? I dont have any problems just wondering?

It is really not that much, they will first review your medical record which takes about 2 weeks to see if there is anything in your history that would keep you from flying. Then you go in and one of the enlisted techs does your physical: eye, blood, and urine tests as well as an EKG and chest X ray. I would look up AFI 48-123 Volume 2 on Page 88, and it dictates weight limits for certain heights. I would take your height and make sure you are not over the weight limit for that height otherwise your medical will be rejected by AFMC. After the tech does all your tests, the flight doc reviews the results and basically does a checkout, and sends the physical up to AF Materiel Command for approval, which takes about 2-3 weeks. When it comes back approved you will fax it in to AFPC with the rest of the required paperwork etc...

QuietDisaster
09-15-2008, 11:29 PM
It is really not that much, they will first review your medical record which takes about 2 weeks to see if there is anything in your history that would keep you from flying. Then you go in and one of the enlisted techs does your physical: eye, blood, and urine tests as well as an EKG and chest X ray. I would look up AFI 48-123 Volume 2 on Page 88, and it dictates weight limits for certain heights. I would take your height and make sure you are not over the weight limit for that height otherwise your medical will be rejected by AFMC. After the tech does all your tests, the flight doc reviews the results and basically does a checkout, and sends the physical up to AF Materiel Command for approval, which takes about 2-3 weeks. When it comes back approved you will fax it in to AFPC with the rest of the required paperwork etc...

Sweet. Thanks for the info dude.

BigBaze
09-15-2008, 11:39 PM
Sweet. Thanks for the info dude.

sure thing man, glad to help

QuietDisaster
09-15-2008, 11:56 PM
Another question if anyone knows. I think when I had my last eye test I was 20/20 in one eye and 20/25 in the other. Should I go ahead and get contacts since I do not have perfevt 20/20? Or just wait to see what they say?

drblue917
09-16-2008, 12:13 AM
Another question if anyone knows. I think when I had my last eye test I was 20/20 in one eye and 20/25 in the other. Should I go ahead and get contacts since I do not have perfevt 20/20? Or just wait to see what they say?

im not an eye doctor and im not going to pretend i know everything about eye sight. but this is what the AFI says that BigBaze mentioned. the way i interpret it is you have to have correctable eye sight.

E. Vision (Eyes).
E-1. Minimum vision of 20/200 correctable to 20/20 in each eye.
E-2. Vision correctable to 20/40 in one eye and 20/70 in the other, or 20/30 in one eye and 20/200
in the other eye, or 20/20 in one eye and 20/400 in the other eye.
E-3. Vision that is worse than E-2 profile but better than E-4.
E-4. Visual defects disqualifying by AFI 48-123V2, A2.6. See Note

BigBaze
09-16-2008, 12:19 AM

That should be plenty good, my eyes were much worse than that! You cannot wear contacts when you fly so I would wait. Someone earlier left a post concerning contacts

QuietDisaster
09-16-2008, 01:11 AM
Sweet. Thanks for the info fellas. That makes me feel a lot better baze. Haha. Don't want something like that keeping me from doing what I really wanna do.

AfricanSnowOwl
09-16-2008, 02:17 AM
Whats the policy on wearing the flightsuit after BFE and SERE back at the old base while waiting to leave? Some of the schoolhouse instructors mentioned something about trying to go work with base-ops while waiting, but I don't see that happening at Tyndall.

BigBaze
09-16-2008, 02:44 AM
Whats the policy on wearing the flightsuit after BFE and SERE back at the old base while waiting to leave? Some of the schoolhouse instructors mentioned something about trying to go work with base-ops while waiting, but I don't see that happening at Tyndall.

I came back and worked a bit on the line and got tired of it, but you can turn in your flight line badge if you work the flightline if you want. I took a ton of leave, and when I got my orders for flight school i wore my flight suit for outprocessing because I wanted to:> That is up to your unit, by the reg you are not performing flying duties so technically you can't wear it..(see the blues thread) I tried to go work at ops at Tyndall but decided it wouldn't benefit me at all because the fighter world and AMC are completely different. I didn't wear the bag around my old squadron though

BigBaze
09-16-2008, 04:14 PM

I was at the flight doc today and and he said you can wear contacts while flying if he approves you to. In other words you cannot just wear them on your own without flight doc approval, otherwise you will be DNIF in a heartbeat.

QuietDisaster
09-16-2008, 05:53 PM
I was at the flight doc today and and he said you can wear contacts while flying if he approves you to. In other words you cannot just wear them on your own without flight doc approval, otherwise you will be DNIF in a heartbeat.

Well that's good to know. I don't need contacts I can see fine I just didn't know if you had to have 20/20 vision to pass a flight physical. So that's why I was asking. But you said yours was worse so that makes me feel better. Lol. Thanks for the info though.

daftcon
09-16-2008, 08:56 PM
quick little question for the masses... when is everyone receiving their flight suits for FE? i was looking and found acouple of answers from a couple of places. one i heard was your losing unit was in charge of issuing all your required gear before school starts. and another i heard was once you started it was issued. could anyone that has "been there" shed some light on this. thanx

AfricanSnowOwl
09-16-2008, 10:17 PM
You don't get issued flightsuits for BFE. You can get them issued for SERE though, and you definitely get them for IQT/MQT. Some people get all this junk issued to them before they leave for BFE, but you can't wear flightsuits during BFE.

ChaplainC
09-16-2008, 10:30 PM
I believe that has already been answered, in this thread, pretty sure that the answer is that the losing unit is responsible for the issue of all flight uniform needs. Be sure that you get on that before you leave your unit.

Good luck to you then!

BigBaze
09-17-2008, 01:12 AM
quick little question for the masses... when is everyone receiving their flight suits for FE? i was looking and found acouple of answers from a couple of places. one i heard was your losing unit was in charge of issuing all your required gear before school starts. and another i heard was once you started it was issued. could anyone that has "been there" shed some light on this. thanx

Yep once you print out your reporting instructions from the ETCA website for the particular flight school it will have a list of mandatory equipment you will need for your flight school. Your losing unit must supply it! You can wear flight suits at SERE but you don't want to ruin them, I just went with BDU's, that way you can take your top off while in the mountains. If you guys were emailed class dates from the CEA functional manager, he should have given you the ETCA website. The instructors at BFE should know it too. Be sure to read the requirements for SERE and the other water survival schools, there are some things you need to bring! At BFE it is BDU/ABU Mon-Thurs and blues on Friday, service dress for graduation. I don't know if they are making you guys wear blues on Monday now too.

AfricanSnowOwl
09-17-2008, 03:29 AM
Yeah, its now blues on monday and friday.

QuietDisaster
09-17-2008, 08:11 PM
baze, i was gonna ask you, how is it working for ops now instead of the amu's? A lot better i'm assuming?

BigBaze
09-17-2008, 09:47 PM
baze, i was gonna ask you, how is it working for ops now instead of the amu's? A lot better i'm assuming?

it is a TON better, a completely different mentality, not all that stupidity that goes on in the AMU's. :)

ArcticFox
09-17-2008, 10:15 PM
The info here is great. The ball is rolling on my FE retraining. Currently a C-130 crew chief, getting ready to come to the dark side. Just had my flight physical - besides needing some wisdom teeth pulled - all looks good so far. Once I get those teeth pulled I'll be able to finish my med doc review and get my chest x-ray. I'm excited, and nervous all at once. I love challenges, and flying - it's what brought me to the Air Force to begin with. I love my job as a crew chief, but I want to fly more - and Flight Engineering is right up my alley. I'm sure I'll have lots of questions while going through this process.

drblue917
09-18-2008, 03:11 AM
Yeah, its now blues on monday and friday.

guess i will have dust off an extra set.

chachikeno
09-20-2008, 04:39 PM
I just found out I was accepted to retrain into the FE career field. Now I have to start my retraining package. I've been reading this post and i have found a lot of good info on what to expect and how long this process is. One question I have is since I have no prior flight experience I have to submit a waiver for the prerequesit AFSCs (I'm a 2R1, maintenance scheduling). Has any of you have to get this waiver? If so, is it just a simple memo you get signed by the 1A1 functional? Also, how much involved was your squadron Commander into the whole process? From what I have been reading, it is almost all done by the member. Please give me as much info as possible. I would like to have everything done in about two to three months. Thanks.

BigBaze
09-20-2008, 07:04 PM
I just found out I was accepted to retrain into the FE career field. Now I have to start my retraining package. I've been reading this post and i have found a lot of good info on what to expect and how long this process is. One question I have is since I have no prior flight experience I have to submit a waiver for the prerequesit AFSCs (I'm a 2R1, maintenance scheduling). Has any of you have to get this waiver? If so, is it just a simple memo you get signed by the 1A1 functional? Also, how much involved was your squadron Commander into the whole process? From what I have been reading, it is almost all done by the member. Please give me as much info as possible. I would like to have everything done in about two to three months. Thanks.

I have never heard of that waiver, most of us who applied had no prior flying experience either. It may be something new I don't know. I came from a 2A6 career field (maintenance) so similar to you. If you are a first term airman all the squadron commander will do is to sign off on the package when it is complete and ready to submit. You do this through vMPF when you are ready to hit the *submit* button there is a place for you to type in your commander's email address. You then hit submit, and it sends an electronic suspense to their email, they click yes or no and it gets sent up to AFPC. Everything in the application process is up to you, you need to keep on AFPC's case to make sure they do their job.

daftcon
09-20-2008, 09:06 PM
i just got my application approved and had to submit my waiver as well (4M0). and yea basically all it is, is just an MFR for the functional manager for 1A1 because you don't have a prior maintenance afsc. i have heard before that you should write paragraphs worth of information on why you should be selected for this job, and how good you are, yada yada. my request had honestly 2 sentences. it basically said, "i am applying for a non-feeder afsc waiver request. i do not hold the required afsc for award into 1A1X1." and thats it. even with that, my commander DISapproving my application, and then reminding afpc that he disapproved me for retraining on my waiver request, i still got picked up. so whatever walls you run into, just push thru. you'll get it if you really want it. so good luck

QuietDisaster
09-20-2008, 09:23 PM
You might need a waiver cause you're not in a "feeder" afsc. I don't really know anyone who has had to get one though. Im in the same process you are but I am a 2A6 so I didn't have to get one. The first thing you will probably need to do is get that waiver. Then you have to take this letter to medical and they review your records to see if you qualify to be a FE. That takes about 3 to 5 days I was told. Then I guess after that you have to get a flight physical. Haven't made it that far so we will see. Lol.

chachikeno
09-21-2008, 12:40 AM
i just got my application approved and had to submit my waiver as well (4M0). and yea basically all it is, is just an MFR for the functional manager for 1A1 because you don't have a prior maintenance afsc. i have heard before that you should write paragraphs worth of information on why you should be selected for this job, and how good you are, yada yada. my request had honestly 2 sentences. it basically said, "i am applying for a non-feeder afsc waiver request. i do not hold the required afsc for award into 1A1X1." and thats it. even with that, my commander DISapproving my application, and then reminding afpc that he disapproved me for retraining on my waiver request, i still got picked up. so whatever walls you run into, just push thru. you'll get it if you really want it. so good luck

Thanks for the info. I will write the waiver and move forward with it. I really want to be an FE so I hope this will not stop me. :)

BigBaze
09-21-2008, 04:14 AM
Thanks for the info. I will write the waiver and move forward with it. I really want to be an FE so I hope this will not stop me. :)

You will be fine, a waiver is not going to stop you, they just want to see how badl you want it since you are not from a maintenance background. The school is not impossible at all to pass, it is just that most of the curriculum is criteria that most of the guys in the maintenance world have already covered in previous training. so it is easier for them. You study, you group study, you pay attention in class, you stay focused and determined and anything is possible! The hard work is well worth it trust me! keep on keeping on!

AfricanSnowOwl
09-21-2008, 07:27 AM
Its an awesome feeling, after you graduate BFE, and go back to your old squadron waiting on the weapon system class with a set of wings on.

BigBaze
09-23-2008, 03:27 AM
Its an awesome feeling, after you graduate BFE, and go back to your old squadron waiting on the weapon system class with a set of wings on.

That is for sure. The proudest moment of my career having my wings pinned on. (Thanks TSgt Cherry) The classic question I got was one of the MSgts in my squadron back home asking me why I had my wings above my maintenance badge on my uniform, which made me wonder how he had attained that rank. There are two mandatory badges...Wings and chaplain! (I bet Chaplain C knows that:) ) I am proud of my maintenance badge but more proud of my wings, because it took a lot more work to get them, as you guys who have not been through SERE yet, or have not started flight school yet will find out. As you go through your PDG and the history section, read how many of the men listed in their were enlisted aviators. Wear your wings with pride!!!

srawk48
09-24-2008, 07:16 PM
guess whose back? neways.. baze i can't wait til i get to wear those wings.. my bf wants me to pin them on him at his graduation but since i dont have mine yet i dont know if they will let me or not. I just got to lackland yesterday.. ohh the memories.. lol. I'm hanging out w the bf who graduates fe school next week and then i start the following friday.. i'm so anxious.. its like the time can't pass by fast enough.
I'm really nervous about the test cuz i hung out with some people in his class already and they are short from what they started.
i def dont want to fail anything!
i know i'm late but for those of you who just got approved to crosstrain congratulations. I know i'm always saying how it takes forever but i got approved to submit a package Jan 23rd and my day is ALMOST here to actually start schooll.... its awesome!

QuietDisaster
09-24-2008, 10:08 PM
I went to do the depth perception test today and failed it. That test is ridiculous. They said since I didn't have 20/20 vision that glasses should help me pass it next time. Does anyone know any secrets to this test? Or if it is waiverable? The lady who gave it to me said she has perfect vision and still couldn't pass it. Im scared I won't be able to continue cross training if I don't pass this.

BigBaze
09-24-2008, 10:44 PM
guess whose back? neways.. baze i can't wait til i get to wear those wings.. my bf wants me to pin them on him at his graduation but since i dont have mine yet i dont know if they will let me or not. I just got to lackland yesterday.. ohh the memories.. lol. I'm hanging out w the bf who graduates fe school next week and then i start the following friday.. i'm so anxious.. its like the time can't pass by fast enough.
I'm really nervous about the test cuz i hung out with some people in his class already and they are short from what they started.
i def dont want to fail anything!
i know i'm late but for those of you who just got approved to crosstrain congratulations. I know i'm always saying how it takes forever but i got approved to submit a package Jan 23rd and my day is ALMOST here to actually start schooll.... its awesome!

You can have anyone you want pin the wings on, I have seen boyfriends, girlfriends, parents, uncles and kids pin them on!

BigBaze
09-24-2008, 10:45 PM
I went to do the depth perception test today and failed it. That test is ridiculous. They said since I didn't have 20/20 vision that glasses should help me pass it next time. Does anyone know any secrets to this test? Or if it is waiverable? The lady who gave it to me said she has perfect vision and still couldn't pass it. Im scared I won't be able to continue cross training if I don't pass this.

I failed it too in MEPS and passed it for my physical after I took some time, from what I was told if you fail it there is other tests they will do on your eyes to see how badly you failed depth perception but that may have changed

QuietDisaster
09-24-2008, 11:26 PM
I failed it too in MEPS and passed it for my physical after I took some time, from what I was told if you fail it there is other tests they will do on your eyes to see how badly you failed depth perception but that may have changed

Yeah. I was just reading the AFI and it says if you don't have to perform scanner duties then you can get a waiver. They will also do other tests too. I asks the optometrist if you could get a waiver for that and he said probably. But I get my glasses next week and he said I should wear them for a couple days before taking the test over again to let my eyes agjust to perfect vision. So hopefully I can pass it. Its the only thing holding back right now.

BigBaze
09-25-2008, 02:43 PM
Yeah. I was just reading the AFI and it says if you don't have to perform scanner duties then you can get a waiver. They will also do other tests too. I asks the optometrist if you could get a waiver for that and he said probably. But I get my glasses next week and he said I should wear them for a couple days before taking the test over again to let my eyes agjust to perfect vision. So hopefully I can pass it. Its the only thing holding back right now.

I failed my depth perception in MEPS but when I did it last year for my physical I passed it after getting a new prescription. When you are looking at the row of 5 circles I did everything from crossing my eyes to staring at the circles until my eyes dilated, and one circle would stand out as appearing closer to you then the others.

QuietDisaster
09-25-2008, 03:45 PM
I failed my depth perception in MEPS but when I did it last year for my physical I passed it after getting a new prescription. When you are looking at the row of 5 circles I did everything from crossing my eyes to staring at the circles until my eyes dilated, and one circle would stand out as appearing closer to you then the others.

Sweet. I'll try that that. I took it with these bionic glasses yesterday too and I definately did better than without glasses but still failed it. The doc said I would have to wear glasses for a few days before taking it again to let my eyes get used to seeing better. Should pass it next time. I hope.

AfricanSnowOwl
09-28-2008, 05:44 PM
Do you get aeronautical orders cut during IQT/MQT, or do those come after you are qualified?

Kegler
09-28-2008, 06:09 PM
Do you get aeronautical orders cut during IQT/MQT, or do those come after you are qualified?

They will cut them prior to any flying. Your AOs will be cut prior to IQT

BigBaze
09-28-2008, 06:22 PM

Yep, for KC10's our first ground school and simulator qualification is done by FlightSafety International, since it is a Boeing airframe. After that we move over to the FTU for the flying portion, taught by Air Force instructors. My FlightSafety class starts Oct 6 and they told me the first day is when they start the paperwork for my AO's. Once you get those, flight pay starts. So pretty much when you are done with SERE etc, and go to your flying school is when they will begin AO's and flight pay etc.

brentusaf
09-29-2008, 06:31 PM
I just went and did my flight physical today for retraining and failed the damn depth perception test. I have 20/20 vision and no problems with depth perception, but couldn't pass the test with the circles that are suppose to stand out. Now I have to do a waiver and hope to god it doesn't prevent me from getting accepted. Anyone ever get accepted with a depth perception waiver?

BigBaze
09-29-2008, 11:51 PM
I just went and did my flight physical today for retraining and failed the damn depth perception test. I have 20/20 vision and no problems with depth perception, but couldn't pass the test with the circles that are suppose to stand out. Now I have to do a waiver and hope to god it doesn't prevent me from getting accepted. Anyone ever get accepted with a depth perception waiver?

all I know is that most things in the AF are waiverable. One of our guys here has pretty messed up eyes, including a small hole in one of his retinas and he is flying. I will ask the flight doc up here at McGuire what he thinks about the depth perception. Remember, the board at AFPC isn't medical personnel, all they are looking at is the go/no go from the flight physical that the flight doc approved

QuietDisaster
09-30-2008, 12:13 AM

I had the same exact problem. I have to do it again with glasses, but if I fail it again I'm gonna have to do the other tests to get a waiver too. I read the AFI and it is definately waiverable. Good luck to you though. I'm at the same exact spot you are.

icetrey
10-01-2008, 05:45 PM
BOOYAHHH!!! Finally got my code 6 with class dates today, 8 months after beginning this whole process. I have to iron out my Aircrew Fundamentals date though. I'm getting conflicting reports between the process owner, VMPF, and my Wing training office if the class has been cancelled or not. Anywho...its great to know I'm finally moving somewhere now.

THELADYKT
10-01-2008, 06:09 PM
BOOYAHHH!!! Finally got my code 6 with class dates today, 8 months after beginning this whole process. I have to iron out my Aircrew Fundamentals date though. I'm getting conflicting reports between the process owner, VMPF, and my Wing training office if the class has been cancelled or not. Anywho...its great to know I'm finally moving somewhere now.

Good for you hun. Congrats

daftcon
10-01-2008, 07:57 PM
hey i'm glad you said that about your stuff being possibly cancelled. cause i got training rips a couple weeks ago, and at the back of the papers, it had notices of cancellations. then i talked to someone at afpc and they said to look out for more rips within a couple of days. and that was like 2 weeks ago. is kind of what happened to you ice? also what is your date?

Gunner7
10-01-2008, 08:03 PM
That was easy wasn't it? Congratulations on getting selected. Use the ETCA (https://etca.keesler.af.mil) to get information on the courses and what you need to bring to training.
Good luck!

THELADYKT
10-01-2008, 09:05 PM
I think you mean https://etca.randolph.af.mil/default1.asp.

If you give me the course name I can get you a link to the specific course page but here is some general information regarding flying training: https://etca.randolph.af.mil/showgeneral.asp?as_training_org=AETC&as_training_prog=&as_training_group=

https://etca.randolph.af.mil/showgeneral.asp?as_training_org=AETC&as_training_prog=FLY%20TRN&as_training_group=

BigBaze
10-01-2008, 09:41 PM
There you go Trey, told you it would go through! Are they cancelling the class or just pushing back the dates?

BigBaze
10-02-2008, 02:26 PM
Just checking in on you guys and gals in EAUC and BFE, how things are going. Have most of you found out what base/airframe you are going to? Fill me in! I start my ground/simulator training next week FINALLY!

icetrey
10-02-2008, 03:36 PM
Yes...very easy (insert Sarcasim here). It appears the cancellations were a "glitch". I recieved my training rips today, and verified my name loaded in the classes with the appropriate A3 folks. Water servival is 2 Dec, Aircrew Fundamentals 20 Jan, with BFE, SERE, and Parachute line up directly afterwards respectively. Obviously, I'm pretty stoked. Anyone else in this tread with the same timeline? Gunner/Lady: Thank you for the links...will check them out later this afternoon.

Baze - were you able to find out anything regarding what we talked about? My work server crashed a couple of weeks ago and I lost your email...

icetrey
10-02-2008, 03:38 PM
Sorry...Aircrew Fundamentals 30 Jan...not 20

BigBaze
10-02-2008, 07:31 PM
Yes...very easy (insert Sarcasim here). It appears the cancellations were a "glitch". I recieved my training rips today, and verified my name loaded in the classes with the appropriate A3 folks. Water servival is 2 Dec, Aircrew Fundamentals 20 Jan, with BFE, SERE, and Parachute line up directly afterwards respectively. Obviously, I'm pretty stoked. Anyone else in this tread with the same timeline? Gunner/Lady: Thank you for the links...will check them out later this afternoon.

Baze - were you able to find out anything regarding what we talked about? My work server crashed a couple of weeks ago and I lost your email...

My Pre Course got bumped from Sept 12 to Oct 6 so I start next week, I will get back to you on that..!

wingman0330
10-03-2008, 01:19 AM
Glad to see a lot of you are getting accepted. My class starts next month I can't wait! I only have 14 more work days bettween all the leave I'm taking. Is anyone else starting on NOV 21st?

Trendkill
10-03-2008, 03:54 PM
Greetings all. I just registered on this forum specifically so I could participate in this thread.

What a wealth of knowledge to be had here! Wish I'd found this thread much earlier in the process, but I'm glad I found it. There's more info in this thread than I've found in any reg or official channel, for sure. Seems like a great community.

A little about me...found out I made Tech, and not two weeks after that AFPC announced that they were retraining 175 Techs out of the Personnel career field. Just got my retraining application approved yesterday (Flight physical processing took FOREVER) and I'm waiting on a class date. I'm pretty excited to be getting into the career field, even though I know there's going to be a lot of school and hard work coming soon. Seems to me that it's all worth it.

VMPF is reflecting my retraining status as "AWAITING CLASS SEAT (AFPC)(5)", so I'm under the impression that I'm waiting on class date/training rips from base training. How long did it take you folks from the time you got approved to get class dates?

Hope I get to know some of you folks better. I've got a lot to learn.

icetrey
10-03-2008, 06:12 PM
Greetings all. I just registered on this forum specifically so I could participate in this thread.

What a wealth of knowledge to be had here! Wish I'd found this thread much earlier in the process, but I'm glad I found it. There's more info in this thread than I've found in any reg or official channel, for sure. Seems like a great community.

A little about me...found out I made Tech, and not two weeks after that AFPC announced that they were retraining 175 Techs out of the Personnel career field. Just got my retraining application approved yesterday (Flight physical processing took FOREVER) and I'm waiting on a class date. I'm pretty excited to be getting into the career field, even though I know there's going to be a lot of school and hard work coming soon. Seems to me that it's all worth it.

VMPF is reflecting my retraining status as "AWAITING CLASS SEAT (AFPC)(5)", so I'm under the impression that I'm waiting on class date/training rips from base training. How long did it take you folks from the time you got approved to get class dates?

I actually recieved my Code 6 with class dates less than two days after recieving my code 5 (all this week). I would be looking once you get to work then before you leave. You should have your class dates anytime now. Congrats and let us know when you find out!

Gunner7
10-03-2008, 08:53 PM
Congratulations on your selection! AFPC retraining has been banging out the NCORP applications recently. I have chatted to a few folks that caught their class dates within two weeks of being notified of "status 5" Individuals who are in AFSCs that are balanced may submit ETPs for select positions but they will take a bit longer to process.

Trendkill
10-03-2008, 08:56 PM
Wow...you guys must be good luck. No sooner had I read Trey's reply than I looked at vMPF and saw my class dates listed. Aircrew Fundamentals, Basic Flight Engineer, Parachute training, Combat Survival training, then Water Survival training on 6 Feb, 27 Feb, 17 Apr, 20 Apr, and 12 May respectively.

Good news, huh? Now that I know I've got dates, I'm gonna keep an eye out for training RIP's, make sure my 1042 stays right, and look back through the thread for those websites with the course info. This is about the best news I could've asked for this week. Gonna be a looooooong 4 months between now and Feb.

brentusaf
10-03-2008, 09:42 PM
Woohoo I passed the depth perception test at optometry after failing the one at flight medicine. No waiver required and now it's a few week wait on the results.

BigBaze
10-03-2008, 10:00 PM

Glad the thread helped Trend! I started it over a year ago when I was in your shoes and trying to get through the madness of the whole application process. A ton of people have come through looking for answers and have walked away with plenty of them with help from everyone on here. Class 5 means you are basically accepted, just waiting on a class slot, you should get status 6 in a week or so which means you are fully approved with class dates! I start my KC10 flight school up here at McGuire on Monday , it's been over a year since I first applied. Get ready for a bunch of challenging schools, but they are all attainable if you study. I know I made the best choice ever coming over to the aircrew world, I love every minute of it. If you can, take your POV to Lackland for EAUC/BFE because the schoolhouse is off the main base, and you will want to enjoy the local area of San Antonio as well! Get ready for a lot of information in a short period of time. The instructors are awesome, you are not going to fail a test unless you really don't apply yourself! get ready for a wild ride..

BigBaze
10-03-2008, 10:02 PM
Woohoo I passed the depth perception test at optometry after failing the one at flight medicine. No waiver required and now it's a few week wait on the results.

I hear ya!

daftcon
10-04-2008, 04:24 PM
hey are you guys seeing your class dates on vmpf under "retraining application status inquiry" , or is it on a nother part of mpf or afpc? cause when i go to "retraining status" it just has my code 6 and a projected class start date of 25 sep 2009. but like i said before, i got rips for january eauc, but all those got cancelled.

TheMrs
10-05-2008, 02:16 AM
I just wanted to share that the husband finally finished his aircraft specific (MIQ) school yesterday! He submitted his packet Feb 2007. Feels like eveything took forever but we will be off to our new base in two weeks! :cheers:

BigBaze
10-05-2008, 02:39 AM
I just wanted to share that the husband finally finished his aircraft specific (MIQ) school yesterday! He submitted his packet Feb 2007. Feels like eveything took forever but we will be off to our new base in two weeks! :cheers:

It takes awhile doesn't it? Congratulations!

ArcticChilla
10-06-2008, 02:31 PM
3 more days of work and then I start leave until my class date on Nov 7th....STOKED!

Hey BigBaze how was ur first day? Que us up!

Through all this mess I've figured out that finance is no help and formal training is not so hot either....I'm bringing the wife along and we'll be out of pocketing the remaining fundage to park our behinds off base. Since my rank doesn't allow me a room in TLF...lol. After months of hair pulling and nightmares in the Nuke world it's time for the next step....can't wait to meet everyone soon enough!

My wife's having her 21st down there as well so I fore see a Dave and Busters drinking day....Bday is the 7th of December, so it'd make a good saturday night and sunday ordeal. Chat at everyone soon!

Anyone who won't be driving hit us up if you need something. We're bringing our Denali so we have third row seating too. Any Six flags outtings we'll ensure to pack it full.

icetrey
10-06-2008, 06:01 PM
Two questions:
1) Where is the conclusive equipment list for what my unit is going to have to foot the bill for?

2) Nobody has contacted me regarding my retainability. I've read I need four years after BFE graduation...is it totally on the member to know this and git it done? Also, I think I only have 10 days upon approval notification. thoughts/adivice? I don't want to loose my schools because I'm waiting on MPF to act.

ArcticChilla
10-06-2008, 08:12 PM
Two questions:
2) Nobody has contacted me regarding my retainability. I've read I need four years after BFE graduation...is it totally on the member to know this and git it done? Also, I think I only have 10 days upon approval notification. thoughts/adivice? I don't want to loose my schools because I'm waiting on MPF to act.

You need 4 yrs from the month of EUAC training. I'm reinlisting this month for 4yrs and a month. MSgt Outlaw will contact you when you get closer to your window and drop a friendly reminder if you haven't gotten it lined up yet. Talk to re-enlistments....they SHOULD be able to help you.

BigBaze
10-06-2008, 09:38 PM
3 more days of work and then I start leave until my class date on Nov 7th....STOKED!

Hey BigBaze how was ur first day? Que us up!

Through all this mess I've figured out that finance is no help and formal training is not so hot either....I'm bringing the wife along and we'll be out of pocketing the remaining fundage to park our behinds off base. Since my rank doesn't allow me a room in TLF...lol. After months of hair pulling and nightmares in the Nuke world it's time for the next step....can't wait to meet everyone soon enough!

My wife's having her 21st down there as well so I fore see a Dave and Busters drinking day....Bday is the 7th of December, so it'd make a good saturday night and sunday ordeal. Chat at everyone soon!

Anyone who won't be driving hit us up if you need something. We're bringing our Denali so we have third row seating too. Any Six flags outtings we'll ensure to pack it full.

I had a great first day, basically getting in depth with the systems of the KC10, I am about to go into the cockpit mockup, which is just like the sim without moving and without visuals, but all the buttons/dials etc light up and all, after that I will be going into the real sims. Crank it up at Dave and Busters, we frequented that place a lot!

BigBaze
10-06-2008, 09:40 PM
Two questions:
1) Where is the conclusive equipment list for what my unit is going to have to foot the bill for?

The equipment list is on the etca website, MSgt Outlaw can hook you up with it, I think Lady KT posted it too on one of the earlier posts. Just type in what airframe school you are going to and it will give you an entire list. Don't be like the other guy in my IQT class who showed up first day without his pubs and flight equipment requirements, not a good thing!

THELADYKT
10-06-2008, 10:01 PM
Repost for Icetrey:

https://etca.randolph.af.mil/default1.asp.

Here is some general information regarding flying training: https://etca.randolph.af.mil/showgen...training_group (https://etca.randolph.af.mil/showgeneral.asp?as_training_org=AETC&as_training_prog=&as_training_group)=

https://etca.randolph.af.mil/showgeneral.asp?as_training_org=AETC&as_training_p rog=FLY%20TRN&as_training_group (https://etca.randolph.af.mil/showgeneral.asp?as_training_org=AETC&as_training_prog=FLY%20TRN&as_training_group)=

srawk48
10-06-2008, 10:43 PM
hey...out of the blue again. congrats to all you guys that got approved to crosstrain into FE! i'm sooo excited for you as well as myself. my class starts on friday for fundamentals. I already meant my instructor and the people the are in charge of the school last week. i got to pin my bf's wings on and I got to meet everyone. They all seem really kewl and i cant wait to start class on FRIDAY!
IS there anyone else here besides randomD who is in my class? Ive been almost everywher in San Antonio cuz ive been here for like 2 weeks and it seemed like it took forever to reach this week.
I've had alot of fun and i'm planning on learning alot, studying my ass off and getting my wings tacked on in December!!!

Talk to you guys later.
Blaze let me know how your training is going,..

BigBaze
10-06-2008, 10:54 PM
hey...out of the blue again. congrats to all you guys that got approved to crosstrain into FE! i'm sooo excited for you as well as myself. my class starts on friday for fundamentals. I already meant my instructor and the people the are in charge of the school last week. i got to pin my bf's wings on and I got to meet everyone. They all seem really kewl and i cant wait to start class on FRIDAY!
IS there anyone else here besides randomD who is in my class? Ive been almost everywher in San Antonio cuz ive been here for like 2 weeks and it seemed like it took forever to reach this week.
I've had alot of fun and i'm planning on learning alot, studying my ass off and getting my wings tacked on in December!!!

Talk to you guys later.
Blaze let me know how your training is going,..

Hey Srawk congrats on starting your class, feels good doesn't it? I just started my KC10 initial pre course today after a month's delay. The thought BFE was a lot of knowledge but damn, this is tons more! I have civilian contractors teaching me because the Kc10 is a civilian airliner converted over to military, unlike aircraft like the C130, HH60 etc. It is one on one and self paced so I am enjoying it, and they sure don't believe in wearing blues on Monday:>! I can't wait to start my simulator training, I sat in on one the other night, and at the end they let me take off and land. For those of you who have seen the "I'm hot cuz I'm deployed" video on Youtube with the 2 KC10 pilots, one of them was flying right seat for me:> Those guys are funny as hell. Any of you found out where you are going? I know most of you just started so you will know around block 3 or 4 of BFE.

drblue917
10-06-2008, 11:44 PM
You need 4 yrs from the month of EUAC training. I'm reinlisting this month for 4yrs and a month. MSgt Outlaw will contact you when you get closer to your window and drop a friendly reminder if you haven't gotten it lined up yet. Talk to re-enlistments....they SHOULD be able to help you.

just to piggy back on this when you go to MPF if they tell you that you only need to extend they are wrong. they coeded me incorrectly for an extension and now im fighting to reenlist to meet the retaniability in the next 4 days inoreder to keep my class dates.

AfricanSnowOwl
10-07-2008, 01:22 AM
After you graduate BFE and head up to SERE, be ready for the worst chow hall you'll ever experience in the air force.

Fenix1442
10-07-2008, 01:28 AM
My last official work day is OCT 31. Take a week of leave and then make the drive down to Lackland/Medina to start my class on Nov 14. Is there anyone else going to be in the Nov 14 class? I got an e-mail from MSgt Outlaw with like 5 other people that he was addressing. If that is the rest of my class then it's going to be small with the 6 of us.

I think I got all of my stuff in order; just waiting on my orders. LOL What paper work do you need to bring down with you? If anyone has an all inclusive list of the stuff you need or common things people forget then post it up. I got all the training info from the site that THELADYKT posted up. Thanks for that, huge help.

I just feel that I am missing something you know. I will post up all the papers that I have from my training package and Flight III physical soon enough.

I will have a car as well and if anyone attending school from Nov 14-Jan 27 I can give you a ride to school, gym, and study groups if you want. It's a Dodge Avenger so if I have more than 3 it will be a tight fit. LOL

Good luck to everyone in EUAC, SERE, and your final courses to get certified on your airframe.

BigBaze
10-07-2008, 02:35 AM
My last official work day is OCT 31. Take a week of leave and then make the drive down to Lackland/Medina to start my class on Nov 14. Is there anyone else going to be in the Nov 14 class? I got an e-mail from MSgt Outlaw with like 5 other people that he was addressing. If that is the rest of my class then it's going to be small with the 6 of us.

I think I got all of my stuff in order; just waiting on my orders. LOL What paper work do you need to bring down with you? If anyone has an all inclusive list of the stuff you need or common things people forget then post it up. I got all the training info from the site that THELADYKT posted up. Thanks for that, huge help.

I just feel that I am missing something you know. I will post up all the papers that I have from my training package and Flight III physical soon enough.

I will have a car as well and if anyone attending school from Nov 14-Jan 27 I can give you a ride to school, gym, and study groups if you want. It's a Dodge Avenger so if I have more than 3 it will be a tight fit. LOL

Good luck to everyone in EUAC, SERE, and your final courses to get certified on your airframe.

the main thing you need to bring is your 1042 (flight physical). they will collect them during EAUC before you go to the altitude chamber at Randolph during Block 2. Make sure to bring plenty of copies of your orders, and that is pretty much all I can think of! When you get your altitude chamber at Randolph, do NOT lose the certificate, the original is the only one that is any good:) Good luck all. I was careful and brought my entire medical records and all my flight medical results and 422 etc!:)

BigBaze
10-07-2008, 02:37 AM
After you graduate BFE and head up to SERE, be ready for the worst chow hall you'll ever experience in the air force.

That ain't no lie! The chow halls are simply horrible, but I think Lackland's was worse than Fairchild! I think the only drinks they were not out of were water and milk, and you were lucky to get that. Really slow service so if you want to eat breakfast get there early. That chow hall at Fairchild is reaaalll good after a week in the mountains eating rabbits.

FNG
10-07-2008, 03:45 AM

I will be there with you on the same dates

icetrey
10-07-2008, 04:18 AM
I will be there with you on the same dates

Sweet! That's one classmate so far...

daftcon
10-07-2008, 05:40 PM
hey icetrey, did you get my message. it was regarding the dates you got and where to view them

BigBaze
10-12-2008, 03:50 AM
You guys are going to do fine and have a lot of fun down there. I need to take this weekend off, this IQT is making my head spin!

jsnchrry
10-14-2008, 03:55 AM
I am currently in the process of submitting my retraining package into the flight engineer career field. (1A1X1) Apparently it is a critically manned field because the people in it deploy a ton. It has been quite a hassle dealing with AFPC, trying to get answers about how many they select each month, and when they release the results of the board. I know the retraining board meets the 3rd week of every month. Any FE's out there how have been through the retraining experience and can send some advice my way? I am a first term SSgt with 4 years 7 months TIS, all firewall 5 EPR's, BTZ, yada yada, what are my chances getting this job, and does it help that i am in the maintenance world? (F15 jet engine troop)

I worked in a CSAR squadron and i can tell you Flight engineers deploy frequently..as in all the time. Perhaps more than you may be used to working as a engine troop. if you dont mind being deployed all the time then go ahead and retrain into that field. but just remember you have been warned.

BigBaze
10-14-2008, 04:30 AM
I worked in a CSAR squadron and i can tell you Flight engineers deploy frequently..as in all the time. Perhaps more than you may be used to working as a engine troop. if you dont mind being deployed all the time then go ahead and retrain into that field. but just remember you have been warned.

Yeah I started this thread about a year ago, already in flight school up here at McGuire on KC10's I already have been told I will be deploying 3 times a year. I took the job wanting to fly and deploy, and it has been great so far.

Trendkill
10-14-2008, 02:49 PM
*sigh*

I knew things were going too smoothly. I finally get an email with all of my training rips, and there are TWO rips for the Aircrew Fundamentals course. The next day I get a cancellation for the Aircrew Fundamentals course, but there's no details as to which rip it's cancelling, or if it's both of them or what. Nobody in formal training seems to have an answer for me, and I'm not screwing around waiting on somebody else to do their job and lose class dates in the process.

Anybody have a good email address for the school house so I can get this thing straightened out?

Edit: Disregard, I think I found it on the ETCA site. At least I got to vent about it :-)

rendiculous
10-14-2008, 04:43 PM
what besides my 1042 and flight physical do I need? I've heard something about a 422 and a 600. Does anybody know what those are, and what I need to do to get them?

Gunner7
10-14-2008, 05:31 PM
Not sure what the 600 is for but the 422 will indicate what your 'X" factor is (amount of weight lifted). It will be certified at the HAWC. Shout if you have any other questions.

rendiculous
10-14-2008, 06:14 PM
awesome...thanks for that! So now, do you know who I can get it from? You can't print it from e-pubs. Does the HAWC maintain that?

TheMrs
10-14-2008, 06:20 PM

It depends on which aircraft you are on. For example the UH-1n FEs don't deploy unless they have their instructor upgrade.

BigBaze
10-14-2008, 09:28 PM
what besides my 1042 and flight physical do I need? I've heard something about a 422 and a 600. Does anybody know what those are, and what I need to do to get them?

The SF600 is a document you will need for SERE and water survival school. You can print it off the ETCA website. Type in S-V-80A or B, just like that and they will give you the link. The 60o basically states you are psychologically fit to go through SERE. Take the form to the flight doc and have them complete it. You will need it for SERE, they will not let you go through the course without it.

Fenix1442
10-15-2008, 07:31 AM
So you are telling me that if I get assigned to HH-60 as a FE that I am not deployable until I get an "instructor" upgrade? How long does that take and why do you need it? That sucks I have to wait longer until I deploy. Don't get me wrong I love my wife and son like no tommorrow but I want to do my part and have a better job satisfaction from helping people directly than indirectly. Loading bombs and watching bad guys blow up on CCTV from intel breifs get old after a while.

HH-60 is going to be my first choice with C-130 gunships as my second pick.

I would like to know as much as possible about HH-60 and C-130 FE's duties and such from those who have worked on those airframes.

kwood
10-15-2008, 09:11 AM
Fenix----You have to be an FE for either 2 or 4 years, i believe, i might be mistaken on the timeframe, but i know you have to be an FE for a certain amount of time to move to gunships because its a high stress FE position, my pops was a crew chief on the gunships and told me this, so it may be different now, but thats the word on the street so to speak.

Fenix1442
10-15-2008, 11:03 AM
Why does all the cool jobs have to take forever to get into,LOL. High stress pfff, it may be tough and a challenge but well worth it in my book. I hope things have changed for the better allowing you to have less time to get instructor due to better training/sim methods.

If not then I will just do my time and become the best at FE for whatever air frame I get.

Gunner7
10-15-2008, 12:50 PM
You will need 500 hours in a "slick" prior to being considered for Gunships. You will not need to be an instructor to deploy in any Airframe.

THELADYKT
10-15-2008, 06:19 PM
The SF600 is a document you will need for SERE and water survival school. You can print it off the ETCA website. Type in S-V-80A or B, just like that and they will give you the link. The 60o basically states you are psychologically fit to go through SERE. Take the form to the flight doc and have them complete it. You will need it for SERE, they will not let you go through the course without it.

Most SF and OF forms are "owned"/maintained by GSA. You can download your SF600 here: http://www.gsa.gov/Portal/gsa/ep/formslibrary.do?formType=SF

Although ocassionally you can get them from DTIC: http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/infomgt/forms/sfofforms.htm#StandardForms

BigBaze
10-15-2008, 10:17 PM
So you are telling me that if I get assigned to HH-60 as a FE that I am not deployable until I get an "instructor" upgrade? How long does that take and why do you need it? That sucks I have to wait longer until I deploy. Don't get me wrong I love my wife and son like no tommorrow but I want to do my part and have a better job satisfaction from helping people directly than indirectly. Loading bombs and watching bad guys blow up on CCTV from intel breifs get old after a while.

I would like to know as much as possible about HH-60 and C-130 FE's duties and such from those who have worked on those airframes.

I have a couple friends down at Kirtland for initial HH60 school, and it is very tough they say. You do get to qualify on the guns though too. AC130 like said before is not an option for new FE's since they deploy all the time straight into combat and they want you to be experienced. I wish I could fill you in more on HH60's.

BigBaze
10-15-2008, 10:18 PM
Most SF and OF forms are "owned"/maintained by GSA. You can download your SF600 here: http://www.gsa.gov/Portal/gsa/ep/formslibrary.do?formType=SF

Although ocassionally you can get them from DTIC: http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/infomgt/forms/sfofforms.htm#StandardForms

For some reason they want "their" version of the Sf600 from the ETCA site. You can get one from the places you described but SERE wants their special version, as you find when you get up there, they are very ate up about their job.

THELADYKT
10-15-2008, 10:59 PM
For some reason they want "their" version of the Sf600 from the ETCA site. You can get one from the places you described but SERE wants their special version, as you find when you get up there, they are very ate up about their job.

I see that now. They pre-populate it with certain information.

It appears the B version is off the ETCA site. Here is the link for the A version.

S-V80-A: https://www.my.af.mil/gcss-af/afp40/USAF/ep/contentView.do?contentType=EDITORIAL&contentId=112 0828&programId=1121020&channelPageId=-1618289 (https://www.my.af.mil/gcss-af/afp40/USAF/ep/contentView.do?contentType=EDITORIAL&contentId=1120828&programId=1121020&channelPageId=-1618289)

Class itself (updated 9/29/08): https://etca.randolph.af.mil/showcou...rse_id=S-V80-A (https://etca.randolph.af.mil/showcourse.asp?as_course_id=S-V80-A)

drblue917
10-16-2008, 11:01 PM
ok so this may be a dumb question but i just noticed that the ETCA instructions say to bring medical records. is it going to be a problem if i do not have them? i have all the other paper work but if im going to need the medical recoerds im gonna have to make some phone calls before my class starts.

THELADYKT
10-16-2008, 11:09 PM
not sure which ETCA page you are looking at. for the SERE training we were talking about, they are NOT required: https://etca.randolph.af.mil/showcourse.asp?as_course_id=S-V80-A

2. Medical Records are NO longer required. A COPY of the following items must accompany the trainee.

-DD Form 2766 - Adult Preventive and Chronic Care Flowsheet

-DD Form 2766C - Vaccine Administration Record

-SF Form 600 - 336 TRSS/SGF Medical/Psychological pre-clearance - This HAS to be our form from the Website or the exact template in AHLTA.
Click this link for the form. https://www.my.af.mil/gcss-af/afp40/USAF/ep/contentView.do?contentType=EDITORIAL&contentId=1120828&programId=1121020&channelPageId=-1618289 (https://www.my.af.mil/gcss-af/afp40/USAF/ep/contentView.do?contentType=EDITORIAL&contentId=1120828&programId=1121020&channelPageId=-1618289)

-AF IMT (Form) 1042 - Medical Recommendation for Flying or Special Operational Duty - Must be CURRENT

OR

-AF IMT (Form) 422 - Physical Profile Serial Report
- Must be CURRENT

FNG
10-17-2008, 01:35 AM
How many of you guys are getting rental cars? Im trying to get a rental for san antonio but my unit doesnt want to give me one. Is there something in writing that I can show them to get one.

daftcon
10-17-2008, 04:03 AM
FINALLY... some concrete answers. not to mention class dates too! anyone else starting fundamentals on 14 Nov?

THELADYKT
10-17-2008, 05:05 AM
How many of you guys are getting rental cars? Im trying to get a rental for san antonio but my unit doesnt want to give me one. Is there something in writing that I can show them to get one.

Normally AETC will not pay for rental cars for any training TDY. The only way you can get one is if you can convince your unit to fund it. Most units will not fund them so if they say no, then you are unfortunately SOL.

AfricanSnowOwl
10-17-2008, 05:28 AM
I feel bad for all of yall who will be at SERE during winter months. I just finished and it was rediculously cold. All I can say is good luck!

BigBaze
10-17-2008, 05:33 AM
I feel bad for all of yall who will be at SERE during winter months. I just finished and it was rediculously cold. All I can say is good luck!

You're done with that finally huh? Feels good don't it?

drblue917
10-17-2008, 04:41 PM
not sure which ETCA page you are looking at. for the SERE training we were talking about, they are NOT required: https://etca.randolph.af.mil/showcourse.asp?as_course_id=S-V80-A

2. Medical Records are NO longer required. A COPY of the following items must accompany the trainee.

-DD Form 2766 - Adult Preventive and Chronic Care Flowsheet

-DD Form 2766C - Vaccine Administration Record

-SF Form 600 - 336 TRSS/SGF Medical/Psychological pre-clearance - This HAS to be our form from the Website or the exact template in AHLTA.
Click this link for the form. https://www.my.af.mil/gcss-af/afp40/USAF/ep/contentView.do?contentType=EDITORIAL&contentId=1120828&programId=1121020&channelPageId=-1618289 (https://www.my.af.mil/gcss-af/afp40/USAF/ep/contentView.do?contentType=EDITORIAL&contentId=1120828&programId=1121020&channelPageId=-1618289)

-AF IMT (Form) 1042 - Medical Recommendation for Flying or Special Operational Duty - Must be CURRENT

OR

-AF IMT (Form) 422 - Physical Profile Serial Report
- Must be CURRENT

ok sorry i wasnt refering to sere but the aircrew fundamentals-flight engineer page. under prerequisites it says "hand-carry complete health records." i guess ill find out next friday when i go to my first class.

THELADYKT
10-17-2008, 04:59 PM
ok sorry i wasnt refering to sere but the aircrew fundamentals-flight engineer page. under prerequisites it says "hand-carry complete health records." i guess ill find out next friday when i go to my first class.

ah...this course: https://etca.randolph.af.mil/showcourse.asp?as_course_id=L3AQR1A111%2001AA

If it says bring them, then yes I would start making phone calls now. The last thing you want to do is bring attention to yourself by not bringing something that was instructed to bring. In certain cases it can hold up your training. For example, we have actually had pilots show up for training and they don't have their FEF (flight evaluation folder) or AF1042 (flight physical) with them so that they cannot fly.

chachikeno
10-17-2008, 08:28 PM
Well i have finally entered the wonderful world of the flight physical process! HA! This takes a long time but Ishould be done by mid november and all I have to do is wait and hope all goes well. I envy all of you who have passed this process!

THELADYKT
10-17-2008, 08:32 PM
Good Luck to you Chach.

TheMrs
10-19-2008, 05:20 AM

I'm not sure if you were saying this in response to my post or not but as far as I know the intructor upgrade is only for the uh-1n because the intructors are out there teaching them how to fly the huey...or be an FE on the Huey. I'm sure you'll be deployed being on a hh-60

Fenix1442
10-20-2008, 03:18 AM
I start Fundies on Nov 14.

daftcon
10-21-2008, 04:48 AM
i'll be there with you fenix! did you get a RNLT date? what airframe are you looking to get

hendrickson2
10-22-2008, 10:09 AM
Just registered to let everyone know that I just got picked up as a C-130FE at Dyess. I received my assignment on the 20th, but I don't start my training until August 2009. I still have 7 months of overseas commitment to finish yet. I am stoked though!! I have been a C-130 Crew Chief for 10 years now. I have made TECH already and I have a family that is understanding (huge bonus!!). Everything seems to be going my way at this moment and I couldn't be happier about the decision I've made.
Now I just need to get started on the training!

Talk to you all soon and good luck to all of you potential FE's out there!

Dave

Fenix1442
10-22-2008, 02:00 PM
I am looking to get HH-60 helos first. I am willing to trade assignments or whatever legally to get HH-60. LOL

I have to wait for my orders since Citi Bank has still not sent me a new GTC since Bank of America will stop being valid through Nov 30. I was told to pay out of my pocket for the room and what ever else I needed from my RA and Formal training at first but I told them hell no!! LOL

I have my RA working with anyone and everyone to get this fixed so I don't have to pay out of pocket from Dec-Mar. I'm only a E-5 not a O-5, hehe. I know I still will make my class since this is not my fault. "hopefully"

BigBaze
10-22-2008, 04:59 PM
Just registered to let everyone know that I just got picked up as a C-130FE at Dyess. I received my assignment on the 20th, but I don't start my training until August 2009. I still have 7 months of overseas commitment to finish yet. I am stoked though!! I have been a C-130 Crew Chief for 10 years now. I have made TECH already and I have a family that is understanding (huge bonus!!). Everything seems to be going my way at this moment and I couldn't be happier about the decision I've made.

Dave

Good luck! Hercs are challenging but fly some interesting missions. I got a friend that crosstrained before me that is down there at Dyess now too. You should have a huge head start being a C130 crew chief already.

kenton
10-22-2008, 09:03 PM

Dave

Dave,

Good to hear you got picked up. Im in the same boat as you being overseas. My package is waiting on the physical to be signed right now and should be submitted in the next week or two. I just wanted your input on the follow on base and airframe selection. Did anyone call you and ask for your input or like a "dream sheet" of airframes or did they just pick for you and load it into vMPF? Seeing you just went through the process I figure your input would be the best out there. Thanks

Kenton

BigBaze
10-23-2008, 03:46 AM
Dave,

Good to hear you got picked up. Im in the same boat as you being overseas. My package is waiting on the physical to be signed right now and should be submitted in the next week or two. I just wanted your input on the follow on base and airframe selection. Did anyone call you and ask for your input or like a "dream sheet" of airframes or did they just pick for you and load it into vMPF? Seeing you just went through the process I figure your input would be the best out there. Thanks

Kenton

I word of advice to you guys coming from overseas. When you find out what base and unit you are going to, it's never to early to contact them and let them know you are coming in several months. That way they can get nametags, patches, some of the small things lined up. The other guy in my KC10 pre qual here at McGuire came from Yokota and his unit here didn't hook him up with a sponsor etc so he came back from SERE and didn't know he was starting class, had no flight suit, pubs, etc, and still was in a hotel with a wife and 3 kids. Get a good contact there and stay in touch, let them know how you are doing. Make sure you losing unit gets you the required gear, if your new units are anything like mine, money is short, I am still waiting on a headset etc. It is a little different here because I am doing the flight training in unit here at McGuire, it is more important for you guys who get C130's and helos since you will be doing your flight training away from your gaining unit most likely

Fenix1442
10-23-2008, 06:43 AM
Where is this list that you can get for all your FE gear? I found a list for the gear for SERE which isn't much. My RA is asking for this list before I even leave for Lackland TX. Told me he wanted me to get the gear and then take it with me to SERE and other courses depending on my airframe.

I got a week and a half between my EUAC/BFE and SERE.

BigBaze
10-23-2008, 01:11 PM
Where is this list that you can get for all your FE gear? I found a list for the gear for SERE which isn't much. My RA is asking for this list before I even leave for Lackland TX. Told me he wanted me to get the gear and then take it with me to SERE and other courses depending on my airframe.

I got a week and a half between my EUAC/BFE and SERE.

Look on the EAUC link Lady KT posted, depending on what airframe you get, look it up and find the applicable initial qual course, and it should have a list. The equipment list will vary by airframe

Fenix1442
10-23-2008, 01:48 PM
I found it, thanks. Pretty much most airframes are the same thing but differ in a few things here and there. I know I will not find out which airframe I will be on until my second class. So I go ahead and get the basic stuff; am I able to get the rest at Lackland or have to wait to go back to my base inbetween SERE?

Thanks for the info and help.

BigBaze
10-23-2008, 03:38 PM
I found it, thanks. Pretty much most airframes are the same thing but differ in a few things here and there. I know I will not find out which airframe I will be on until my second class. So I go ahead and get the basic stuff; am I able to get the rest at Lackland or have to wait to go back to my base inbetween SERE?

Thanks for the info and help.

You have to get it from your base when you get back from Lackland and/or SERE. Lackland won't provide anything. Make sure you get as much as you can, you can wear flight suits at SERE but you run the chance of getting them ruined. It all depends on what airframe you get, in my case, my RA at my losing unit wanted to get all the equipment all at once since he had to put a request for funds up to the group level. It shouldn't be a problem once you find out what airframe you are going to. If you get KC10's at McGuire let me know, I can help you out more

defytone
10-23-2008, 05:10 PM
I too will be at eauc starting on the 14th. I am currently a gac's guy from dyess(130s). so i will have my car there for school. considering i am only an e-4 i def was not getting a rental.

wingman0330
10-23-2008, 07:07 PM
My calss date is Nov 21 when can I expect to get my orders. The sooner the better because I have to do my squadron TDY out processing and I want to take as much leave as I can before I go.

defytone
10-23-2008, 07:52 PM
you need to swing by formal training asap. let them know of your start date. they will cut you orders.

drblue917
10-24-2008, 12:06 AM
Ok if i could get a lil confirmation from those of you that have already been. The building to repopt to on the first day is the Forbes Hall? The only reason im no 100% is the parking lot i found dosent say anything about student parking and the ETCA instructions say to report to the auditorium so im just assuming the forbes hall/344th is the place. thanks for any help.

BigBaze
10-24-2008, 03:03 AM
Ok if i could get a lil confirmation from those of you that have already been. The building to repopt to on the first day is the Forbes Hall? The only reason im no 100% is the parking lot i found dosent say anything about student parking and the ETCA instructions say to report to the auditorium so im just assuming the forbes hall/344th is the place. thanks for any help.

Go through the Medina Annex gate and take the first right and follow the road up to the top of the hill. You will see the 344th. The first parking lot to the left is the student parking lot and is unmarked. The staff parking lot is well marked. Go through the front of the 344th building and the auditorium is directly to your left, meet in there in your blues on the first day. It has been a little bit since I have been there, so you guys can fill in anything I missed or got wrong.

srawk48
10-25-2008, 10:50 PM
i only have 4 days of fundamentals left and then off to BFE i can't wait!! my instructor is soo not kewl but fundies is pretty easy.. well if you study that is.. i just wana go to BFE and learn my real job!!!

articchillla.. if you guys need anything or need to find your way around you can contact me.. ive been to six flags which is a really fun time and the riverwalk a ton of times arleady.

DO NOT BRING YOUR MEDICAL RECORDS... they do not need them here.. they took ours and then we got yelled at for giving them to medical.. the perso that briefed us and it was a war trying to get them back.. all tyou need is about two copies of your 1042 for the altitude chamber and thats it..

k well time to go out.. my head is spinning from studying.. good luck everyone

Fenix1442
10-26-2008, 10:01 AM
Quick question. Does Kelly's TLF have internet access and can you get on Xbox Live with it? I know I will hardly have anytime to hit the sticks on the 360 but mainly wanted to know due to staying in touch with family and seeing them instead of just making calls.

I can imagine with all the studying there will be only like 1 day a week to relax and play games or go out to see S.A. Thanks

srawk48
10-27-2008, 12:25 AM
Quick question. Does Kelly's TLF have internet access and can you get on Xbox Live with it? I know I will hardly have anytime to hit the sticks on the 360 but mainly wanted to know due to staying in touch with family and seeing them instead of just making calls.

I can imagine with all the studying there will be only like 1 day a week to relax and play games or go out to see S.A. Thanks

im not 100 percent sure that kelly tlf has internet access but i BELIEVE so.. i have a couple classmates who are living over there and they say that they use their laptop in their rooms..
i know for sure that the gateway inn has internet access.. they have a little modem that you can plug your computer or xbox into.. it is in wierd places in some rooms so unless u have a router your best bet would be to get a long ethernet cord.
you'll have at least friday and saturday to go online and play your xbox in fundies at least. i dont know about bfe about i will find out on friday since i graduate fundies thursday!!!

wingman0330
11-01-2008, 03:10 PM
For you guys who already been through the class, what are the odds of me getting C-5's at dover if I put it first on my wish list in tech school.

BigBaze
11-01-2008, 04:57 PM
For you guys who already been through the class, what are the odds of me getting C-5's at dover if I put it first on my wish list in tech school.

Where are you coming from? If you are from Dover that's the best chance! The best you can do is put it #1 on your list, and I am sure if there is a slot you can get it. I know one of the guys from my class that graduated in June got C5's at Travis and he is still waiting for his IQT at Kelly. I am in KC10 IQT up here at McGuire and we have a lot of ex C5 engineers. Tough airframe from what I hear but if you want to make the big per diem $$ and fly cool places it is the airframe for you.

BigBaze
11-01-2008, 08:26 PM
i only have 4 days of fundamentals left and then off to BFE i can't wait!! my instructor is soo not kewl but fundies is pretty easy.. well if you study that is.. i just wana go to BFE and learn my real job!!!

articchillla.. if you guys need anything or need to find your way around you can contact me.. ive been to six flags which is a really fun time and the riverwalk a ton of times arleady.

DO NOT BRING YOUR MEDICAL RECORDS... they do not need them here.. they took ours and then we got yelled at for giving them to medical.. the perso that briefed us and it was a war trying to get them back.. all tyou need is about two copies of your 1042 for the altitude chamber and thats it..

k well time to go out.. my head is spinning from studying.. good luck everyone

The Riverwalk is the shit!

wingman0330
11-02-2008, 03:38 PM
Where are you coming from? If you are from Dover that's the best chance! The best you can do is put it #1 on your list, and I am sure if there is a slot you can get it. I know one of the guys from my class that graduated in June got C5's at Travis and he is still waiting for his IQT at Kelly. I am in KC10 IQT up here at McGuire and we have a lot of ex C5 engineers. Tough airframe from what I hear but if you want to make the big per diem $$ and fly cool places it is the airframe for you.

I'm at whiteman afb right now so I can go any where because we don't have any FE's here. I'm just trying to get to the east coast without getting on C-130's. So C-5's and KC-10s are gonna top my list. I'm just ready to make the change i'm getting restless at my current job.

BigBaze
11-02-2008, 03:44 PM
I'm at whiteman afb right now so I can go any where because we don't have any FE's here. I'm just trying to get to the east coast without getting on C-130's. So C-5's and KC-10s are gonna top my list. I'm just ready to make the change i'm getting restless at my current job.

We are undermanned here so if you put in KC10 I am sure you will get it, it is a very fun airframe, the FE is very involved with the actual flying of the aircraft, he is responsible for working the throttles during takeoff, and setting power. The best you can do is out them on top of your list, and if you run into SMSgt Doss, ask him nicely, he usually is willing to work with you.

ArcticChilla
11-05-2008, 02:39 AM
Well I made it down to San Antonio with the wife. Looking forward to starting class on Friday. Been poking around town a bit here and there. Anyone else down here yet?

JackOFallTrades
11-06-2008, 03:21 AM
Well I'm new to this forum stuff so bare with me. I have been in the process of retraining for the past few months and I stumbled across this posting like so many others and I just found it incredibly useful. Honestly I have not read all 49 pages, but anytime that I have a question this is where I have come for references. I would just like to give you guys a quick over view of my experience in the hopes that it will be useful to someone behind me.
I submitted my request back in August of 08. I was lucky enough to get a tip from someone at AFPC to wait to until right after the FY09 advisorary came out. Sure enough I was approved for FE.
I immediately got to work on my application. Within a few days I had all my documents signed and scanned. Of course our base clinic couldn't get me in for my IFC III until the end of October. Of course they booked my appoints all out of order, so I was going to have to reschedule for another time in a few months. I didn't let this go and got the ball moving. Within the next week I had spoken with every person at flight medicine and I think I was annoying enough that they made all kinds of exceptions to get in there. This did take alot of phone calls, emails, and me showing up everyday before the clinic opened.
After all was done there I finished my package and sent it in. I called AFPC first and had them review my documents first. This is the amazing part so It must be in big letters so everyone sees. I SUBMITTED ON THURSDAY, COMMANDER APPROVES FRIDAY, LOADED AS STATUS 3 ON MONDAY, MOVED TO STATUS 5 ON TUESDAY, AND STATUS 6 ON WEDNESDAY WITH ALL MY CLASSES SCHEDULED. Somebody please tell me that is some kind of record?

BigBaze
11-06-2008, 03:40 AM
Well I'm new to this forum stuff so bare with me. I have been in the process of retraining for the past few months and I stumbled across this posting like so many others and I just found it incredibly useful. Honestly I have not read all 49 pages, but anytime that I have a question this is where I have come for references. I would just like to give you guys a quick over view of my experience in the hopes that it will be useful to someone behind me.
I submitted my request back in August of 08. I was lucky enough to get a tip from someone at AFPC to wait to until right after the FY09 advisorary came out. Sure enough I was approved for FE.
I immediately got to work on my application. Within a few days I had all my documents signed and scanned. Of course our base clinic couldn't get me in for my IFC III until the end of October. Of course they booked my appoints all out of order, so I was going to have to reschedule for another time in a few months. I didn't let this go and got the ball moving. Within the next week I had spoken with every person at flight medicine and I think I was annoying enough that they made all kinds of exceptions to get in there. This did take alot of phone calls, emails, and me showing up everyday before the clinic opened.
After all was done there I finished my package and sent it in. I called AFPC first and had them review my documents first. This is the amazing part so It must be in big letters so everyone sees. I SUBMITTED ON THURSDAY, COMMANDER APPROVES FRIDAY, LOADED AS STATUS 3 ON MONDAY, MOVED TO STATUS 5 ON TUESDAY, AND STATUS 6 ON WEDNESDAY WITH ALL MY CLASSES SCHEDULED. Somebody please tell me that is some kind of record?

Dude that is fast! First of all welcome to the thread, it's always good seeing new people on here that were happy to get help. Now you can help keep it going for people following in your footsteps. I can totally relate with the whole medical thing. I am in my flight school for KC10's and love every moment of it. Good luck on your BFE and SERE and all, get ready for a ton of knowledge being thrown at you

stealthkeeper2364
11-06-2008, 07:53 PM
Long-time reader, first-time replying... Really have enjoyed reading all this information, it was like finding gold. I already have a class date for Jan9th and really excited. I have been trying to find a listing for all the equipment I should be issued before i head to tech school and haven't had any luck finding much. If anyone has a good list of everything that should be issued from the losing unit, I would apperciate it. So that way I know I am prepared.

BigBaze
11-07-2008, 12:53 AM
Long-time reader, first-time replying... Really have enjoyed reading all this information, it was like finding gold. I already have a class date for Jan9th and really excited. I have been trying to find a listing for all the equipment I should be issued before i head to tech school and haven't had any luck finding much. If anyone has a good list of everything that should be issued from the losing unit, I would apperciate it. So that way I know I am prepared.

You will not need any equipment for EAUC and BFE since only BDU/ABU are authorized and you wear blues on Friday (and I guess Monday now, those who have been there recently clarify) and service dress for graduation. You just need to bring your Form 1042 for the altitude chamber. Depending on what airframe you get (you will find out in Block 3 or 4 of BFE) then you go to the EAUC website https://etca.randolph.af.mil and look for the airframe Initial qualification course and it will bring up an equipment list you will need to bring for flight school. Don't worry about that just yet, just get through the EAUC and BFE first. Glad you enjoyed the thread and that it helped you out. Best of luck!

BigBaze
11-07-2008, 12:55 AM
[quote=THELADYKT;144809]ah...this course: https://etca.randolph.af.mil/showcourse.asp?as_course_id=L3AQR1A111%2001AA

Here is the link again..

JackOFallTrades
11-07-2008, 01:04 AM
Hey if I didn't get S-V84-A Underwater Egress (Helicopter crew) and S-V90-A Water Survival School- Non Parachuting courses, does that mean I'm on fixed wings?

BigBaze
11-07-2008, 01:17 AM
Hey if I didn't get S-V84-A Underwater Egress (Helicopter crew) and S-V90-A Water Survival School- Non Parachuting courses, does that mean I'm on fixed wings?

No everyone gets the fixed wing survival schools initially ... Sv80A (SERE)and B (Parachute training at Fairchild) plus SV86 Fixed Wing Water Survival (Pensacola) Should you get helos in BFE, you will still get SERE but you will do SV84 and 90 at Fairchild instead of Sv80B and Sv86, the functional manager will know and change the schools for you

JackOFallTrades
11-08-2008, 03:20 AM
Dude I have water survival in Pensacola before I go to Lackland. Does this sound normal to anybody? Plus I guess I need to get the SF600 done before that, right?

Oh and I have to say that I have not had that excited feeling about anything military since my first deployment. And that was a tropical beach lo-cal. It is really something to see a community of peole of this still exists. Even if this is the minority of the career field, it definately looks like there is more morale here then in all of the flightline maintenance jobs combined. I couldn't be happier to be doing this. Anybody know what the odds are for helos? Where are they stationed?

dub13
11-08-2008, 09:54 PM
Dude I have water survival in Pensacola before I go to Lackland. Does this sound normal to anybody? Plus I guess I need to get the SF600 done before that, right?

Anybody know what the odds are for helos? Where are they stationed?

1. Having water survival before BFE is normal. There were two guys in my BFE class that went to Pensacola before heading to Lackland. Also, when I was at P-Cola for water survival there were two or three fellas doing it before they headed to Lackland for BFE.

2. The odds of you getting helo's are alright. It's always based on the needs of the Air Force. That is just like any other airframe out there for the other people reading this wondering what they might get. A guy from my class picked HH-60's at D-M first then same airframe at Nellis and got the Nellis one. Also another guy who was stationed up at Minot got reassigned back up at Minot flying on the UH-1's (Huey's) and that was his last pick.

dub13
11-08-2008, 09:57 PM

Yes, Kelly has internet access in the rooms. That is where I stayed during BFE. You just have to buy one of those lan cables or whatever and hook it up to your computer. Also, the Kelly side is awesome!! Got paid $54 a day while staying there

TheMrs
11-09-2008, 03:18 AM
My husband is on a uh-1n here at Minot. We actually just got here a few weeks ago and I just wanted to share that so far we really like it. People are very nice and welcoming and it seems like a tight nit squadron. So if any of you all are coming here don't be to bummed out until you actually experience it for yourselves.

We have heard so many negative things about this place before we came here and I was shocked to find out how great it is!

AfricanSnowOwl
11-09-2008, 03:38 AM
Fixed wing non-parachuting water survival is now done at Fairchild, and from what I understand, fixed wing parachuting is moving up to Fairchild pretty soon.