PDA

View Full Version : Flight Engineer retraining

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17]

BigBaze
12-31-2012, 05:03 PM
Lot's of studying seems to be the common theme; I am sure separates those that want it with those that don't. As critical a job as it is, best those that don't are weeded out. Looking forward to the challenge.

That is the mindset to go into BFE with. In one of our squadrons we have a former dental tech and a security forces guy, they are both excellent FE's. When I went through BFE, we did group study all the time, because as you'll find out, if you are weak in one area, another guy is strong in it and can help you out. Once the training starts, everything goes fast, and the studying doesn't end once you become mission qualified.

I went through in 2008 and I am already an instructor with close to 3000 hours on the KC-10. It's quite a feeling when you get to do like we did today, and have Vipers and A-10's stacked on the wing waiting for gas, supporting a team under fire, with a B1 executing a high speed rejoin to take 90,000 pounds of fuel, at the same time being told to split our AR track in half so they can roll an AC-130 in..all in a days work..Happy New Years everyone, and good luck!

ashtnn
12-31-2012, 06:37 PM
Lot's of studying seems to be the common theme; I am sure separates those that want it with those that don't. As critical a job as it is, best those that don't are weeded out. Looking forward to the challenge.

We studied just about every night of the week. There's some stuff where it's not necessary to group study, but I tried to meet up with 3 guys from my class over at Kelly (I'm stationed here and live on Medina, so it's a 15 minute drive each way) at least 2-3x a week. There were a few weekends where we'd spend the better part of the day at Kelly going over charts (block 5 comes to mind) etc as an entire class. Trust me. Even if you think you have the block test in the bag, check and recheck your shit. We went into block 4 thinking we were all well prepared. That test fucked us up for what ever reason. Not sure if it was complacency, over competence, or we just studied the wrong shit. Our highest score out of all 8 of us was an 87.5% and we had two failures. Shit happens and we moved on, kicked ass the rest of BFE.

FE Buckeye Pride
01-03-2013, 01:28 AM
That is the mindset to go into BFE with. In one of our squadrons we have a former dental tech and a security forces guy, they are both excellent FE's. When I went through BFE, we did group study all the time, because as you'll find out, if you are weak in one area, another guy is strong in it and can help you out. Once the training starts, everything goes fast, and the studying doesn't end once you become mission qualified.

I went through in 2008 and I am already an instructor with close to 3000 hours on the KC-10. It's quite a feeling when you get to do like we did today, and have Vipers and A-10's stacked on the wing waiting for gas, supporting a team under fire, with a B1 executing a high speed rejoin to take 90,000 pounds of fuel, at the same time being told to split our AR track in half so they can roll an AC-130 in..all in a days work..Happy New Years everyone, and good luck!

3 grand on the hours huh? lol, such a different world, the 10 vs 130. Our Stan/Eval Engineers have about 3000 hours. I guess thats the difference between drone time and fighting hard for a 3.5 hours TAC, low level sortie. You'd be lucky to get 300 hours in a year on the Herk.

Like Baze said, studying is key. I went through in 2010 and it was all about "study and dump". Take in the knowledge, take the test, dump the knowledge, move to the next block. Repeat. Once you get to your platform training you will need to transition to systems knowledge and retaining the information. The training only gets harder and more deep, post-BFE. BFE should exercise and train your study habits.

akruse
01-03-2013, 01:54 AM
3 grand on the hours huh? lol, such a different world, the 10 vs 130. Our Stan/Eval Engineers have about 3000 hours. I guess thats the difference between drone time and fighting hard for a 3.5 hours TAC, low level sortie. You'd be lucky to get 300 hours in a year on the Herk.

Like Baze said, studying is key. I went through in 2010 and it was all about "study and dump". Take in the knowledge, take the test, dump the knowledge, move to the next block. Repeat. Once you get to your platform training you will need to transition to systems knowledge and retaining the information. The training only gets harder and more deep, post-BFE. BFE should exercise and train your study habits.

Coming up on 3 years of flying now and just hit 500+ hours last month on the 60 :)

FE Buckeye Pride
01-03-2013, 11:40 PM
Coming up on 3 years of flying now and just hit 500+ hours last month on the 60 :)

Understandable. Ive been flying for two years solid and around 450 hours. We have to have at least 500 hours for Instructor school, plus Stan/Eval recommendation (of course). Ive found that tactical airlift - C-130's, HH-60's, and CV-22's have a MUCH different mindset of flying and hours logged than those on a support aircraft like AWACS, C-5s, and KC-10s. Its 3.5 hours of flying hard at <1000 feet vs. 8 hours of flying at 20-35,000 feet on racetracks. Not that either is better, just different worlds.

akruse
01-04-2013, 12:05 AM
Understandable. Ive been flying for two years solid and around 450 hours. We have to have at least 500 hours for Instructor school, plus Stan/Eval recommendation (of course). Ive found that tactical airlift - C-130's, HH-60's, and CV-22's have a MUCH different mindset of flying and hours logged than those on a support aircraft like AWACS, C-5s, and KC-10s. Its 3.5 hours of flying hard at <1000 feet vs. 8 hours of flying at 20-35,000 feet on racetracks. Not that either is better, just different worlds.

Yup. Different worlds and time keeping :)

caliphil916
01-04-2013, 05:44 PM
Start block 5 today, here we go!

FE Buckeye Pride
01-06-2013, 01:52 AM
Start block 5 today, here we go!

You'll be just fine. Not sure why Block 5 gets so much hype, its just TOLD. If an Engineer struggles at TOLD, they need not be an Eng or anywhere near the Eng seat. Its where we make our bread and butter. On a low level route, with one engine shut down, on NVGs, bumpy ride trying to do a TOLD card for a short field landing. Or a cold day, with an RCR of 5, heavy winds and ready to take off.

Again, its a money maker.

BUSH IRISH
01-06-2013, 02:33 AM
Shipping off to Lackland tomorrow morning, let the fun begin.

Golther
01-06-2013, 03:42 AM
You'll be just fine. Not sure why Block 5 gets so much hype, its just TOLD. If an Engineer struggles at TOLD, they need not be an Eng or anywhere near the Eng seat. Its where we make our bread and butter. On a low level route, with one engine shut down, on NVGs, bumpy ride trying to do a TOLD card for a short field landing. Or a cold day, with an RCR of 5, heavy winds and ready to take off.

Until you get E-Told.

FE Buckeye Pride
01-06-2013, 10:08 AM
Until you get E-Told.

Ive heard of such myth. lol.

The C-130 community probably wont be getting them for a long, LONG time. We are just now getting iPads for our pubs (still using paper -1-1's).

caliphil916
01-06-2013, 05:53 PM

Yeah we have a pretty sharp class, and all help each other out. When you first look at the workbooks it can look intimidating. When the instructors actually go through it (and they do it well) it makes a lot more sense. Looking forward to really getting into TOLD this week. Like you said its the bread and butter of what we will be doing as Engineers, so we are all really engaged. Still waiting on assignments, probably won't get them until we pass this block. Probably a good thing since we don't need any unnecessary distractions.

imported_Steveo16220
01-08-2013, 03:20 AM

Because they are students who are learning, and have never done it before? That's why they are down there, to be taught how to compute the data.

FE Buckeye Pride
01-08-2013, 08:14 AM
Because they are students who are learning, and have never done it before? That's why they are down there, to be taught how to compute the data.

What I meant was that in comparison (to what I can remember) to other blocks such as general navigation, Form F's, Fuel Logs, and other blocks it (TOLD) gets the biggest hype.

ashtnn
01-08-2013, 02:48 PM
Nevermind.

crewdawg01
01-09-2013, 05:12 PM
Nevermind.

Any updates on kirtland? We should have orders sometime next week. Im being told different things about training there. Do you have to pcs there before u go to your next duty station? How long is the pipeline running? etc.

ashtnn
01-10-2013, 07:05 PM
Any updates on kirtland? We should have orders sometime next week. Im being told different things about training there. Do you have to pcs there before u go to your next duty station? How long is the pipeline running? etc.

Check your inbox.

crewdawg01
01-14-2013, 06:10 PM
Block 5 Test Complete..Everyone in our class passed some closer than others but we all made it over the hump. Block 6 on wednesday and Block 7 on friday. Ready for my orders to drop!

axtonmyers
01-15-2013, 05:37 AM
Block 5 Test Complete..Everyone in our class passed some closer than others but we all made it over the hump. Block 6 on wednesday and Block 7 on friday. Ready for my orders to drop!

Hey crewdawg01, did you stay in the 1a1 pipe or did you jump over to the 1a9 crowd?

Golther
01-15-2013, 01:36 PM
What I meant was that in comparison (to what I can remember) to other blocks such as general navigation, Form F's, Fuel Logs, and other blocks it (TOLD) gets the biggest hype.

Block 5 has so much hype because it is the most failed block.

Golther
01-15-2013, 01:37 PM

Block 5 has so much hype because it is the most failed block.

FE Buckeye Pride
01-15-2013, 10:13 PM
To the new guys going through BFE right now: Are C-130s at JBER - Elmendorf AFB listed on your guys dream sheets for a possible location/model?

crewdawg01
01-15-2013, 11:08 PM
Hey crewdawg01, did you stay in the 1a1 pipe or did you jump over to the 1a9 crowd?

My class and the one that is right behind us. We are the only classes left that got to choose either one on our dream sheets. The next class starting will either be 1A1 or 1A9..Most of my class wants helo's and we have some guard and reservists. I think the class behind us also wants helo's. Why do you ask?

crewdawg01
01-15-2013, 11:11 PM
To the new guys going through BFE right now: Are C-130s at JBER - Elmendorf AFB listed on your guys dream sheets for a possible location/model?

It was not listed on our dream sheets. Last I heard when i came from Little Rock they were pulling all the Active Duty guys out from there. The only bird active left up there is AWACS for active duty.

axtonmyers
01-15-2013, 11:52 PM
My class and the one that is right behind us. We are the only classes left that got to choose either one on our dream sheets. The next class starting will either be 1A1 or 1A9..Most of my class wants helo's and we have some guard and reservists. I think the class behind us also wants helo's. Why do you ask?

I was just curious, I'll be there in Feb as 1A1, luckily got pushed up. And since you're about 2 classes ahead of me I figured ya'll might see how the drop down for assignmens look. Whether or not people are getting bases like little rock or pope for c-130's. Don't get me wrong, I worked on the H's and currently on J's but I'd much rather get onto a different airframe just to have that under my belt. If not then it happens, ultimately though my one goal is to be an FE and thats it, anything good after that is just an added benefit.

FE Buckeye Pride
01-16-2013, 06:58 PM
It was not listed on our dream sheets. Last I heard when i came from Little Rock they were pulling all the Active Duty guys out from there. The only bird active left up there is AWACS for active duty.

Wow. Thats surprising. Im a C-130 Engineer up here on JBER. I can tell you for a fact that they are not pulling us out of Alaska. Last year there was a propsed movement of F-16s from Fairbanks to Anchorage which would eliminate ramp space and force the C-130 AD side to leave, but that is no longer the case. We actually have two inbound Engineers right now. We are a fully stood up squadron that is a tennant to the guard, just like Cheyenne and Colorado Springs. Were flying PACAF missions daily. Im not sure why the guys in San Antonio havent put the assignment back on the dream sheet listing.

crewdawg01
01-16-2013, 10:53 PM
Wow. Thats surprising. Im a C-130 Engineer up here on JBER. I can tell you for a fact that they are not pulling us out of Alaska. Last year there was a propsed movement of F-16s from Fairbanks to Anchorage which would eliminate ramp space and force the C-130 AD side to leave, but that is no longer the case. We actually have two inbound Engineers right now. We are a fully stood up squadron that is a tennant to the guard, just like Cheyenne and Colorado Springs. Were flying PACAF missions daily. Im not sure why the guys in San Antonio havent put the assignment back on the dream sheet listing.
Alright well i didnt know that. Learn something new everyday. That would be a dream assignment to get up there later in my career. We were told today that our class will get all the slots for 1A9 the class behind us will not get them. 4 HH-60 2 UH-1N and 2 CV-22 slots are open. So some people in my class may get something they dont want and the class behind us is gonna be pissed. They are filling all the slots bc Jan 24 is day one for the first 1A9 class.

caliphil916
01-20-2013, 02:53 PM
Graduate BFE in nine days, ready to leave Slackland. This place sucks.

crewdawg01
01-24-2013, 07:40 PM
Graduate BFE in nine days, ready to leave Slackland. This place sucks.
Right there with ya ready to get the hell outta here.

ashtnn
01-25-2013, 03:02 PM
Right there with ya ready to get the hell outta here.

You guys get your damn assignments yet?

caliphil916
01-26-2013, 05:40 PM

We were told we are getting them this coming monday.

crewdawg01
01-28-2013, 04:40 PM

Block 9 Test complete and still no orders.

crewdawg01
01-28-2013, 07:58 PM
So my whole class all 7 active duty got CV-22's. We were the last class who could go to 1A9 as a 1A1. 2 of us got Cannon AFB, 3 got Hurlburtfield, and me and Caliphil got Mildenhall. So there was some really mad people in our class to say the least. Im freaking stoked. Ready to learn my airframe and get some flying done.

caliphil916
01-28-2013, 08:30 PM
So my whole class all 7 active duty got CV-22's. We were the last class who could go to 1A9 as a 1A1. 2 of us got Cannon AFB, 3 got Hurlburtfield, and me and Caliphil got Mildenhall. So there was some really mad people in our class to say the least. Im freaking stoked. Ready to learn my airframe and get some flying done.

CHEERS MATE

axtonmyers
01-28-2013, 10:38 PM
Damn, all CV-22's...thats something else. So out of curiosity have they said anything about what they'll teach 1A1's now, I had only assumed that since it branched off into 1A9's that rotary wing aircraft wouldn't be taught to 1A1's anymore. But as I said, only an assumption. I'll be down there Feb 4th for the start of my fundies for 1A1, now if only I could convince my shop chief to bring me off of swing shift for the remainder of the week so I can work a normal day shift schedule.

caliphil916
01-28-2013, 10:45 PM
Damn, all CV-22's...thats something else. So out of curiosity have they said anything about what they'll teach 1A1's now, I had only assumed that since it branched off into 1A9's that rotary wing aircraft wouldn't be taught to 1A1's anymore. But as I said, only an assumption. I'll be down there Feb 4th for the start of my fundies for 1A1, now if only I could convince my shop chief to bring me off of swing shift for the remainder of the week so I can work a normal day shift schedule.

You pretty much have it right. They just took out all the rotary/tilt rotor stuff. They may have added a bit more to the fixed wing information but I'm not too sure. I do know that the 1A9 course going on is 36 days opposed to 30 for fixed wing. And there's like 3 tests in 1 block yikes! Might be a show stopper for some. Bring your A-game, stay motivated and know what you are here for. You'll do just fine. Hit me up if you have any questions about the course or the travel and lodging process, you have to make your own orders so may be confusing for some.

axtonmyers
01-28-2013, 10:50 PM
You pretty much have it right. They just took out all the rotary/tilt rotor stuff. They may have added a bit more to the fixed wing information but I'm not too sure. I do know that the 1A9 course going on is 36 days opposed to 30 for fixed wing. And there's like 3 tests in 1 block yikes! Might be a show stopper for some. Bring your A-game, stay motivated and know what you are here for. You'll do just fine. Hit me up if you have any questions about the course or the travel and lodging process, you have to make your own orders so may be confusing for some.

Thanks Caliphil916, i really appreciate the thoughtfulness. As for orders and travel goes I am fortunate enough to have a training office that did it all for me while i overlooked it and since I am stationed at Dyess, its only a 4 hour drive. As for bringing my A-game, you damn straight i will. I've waited 10 years for this chance and I'll be damned if I let it slip through my fingertips. I'm going to be an FE. Anyways, thanks for the insight.

caliphil916
01-28-2013, 11:12 PM
Thanks Caliphil916, i really appreciate the thoughtfulness. As for orders and travel goes I am fortunate enough to have a training office that did it all for me while i overlooked it and since I am stationed at Dyess, its only a 4 hour drive. As for bringing my A-game, you damn straight i will. I've waited 10 years for this chance and I'll be damned if I let it slip through my fingertips. I'm going to be an FE. Anyways, thanks for the insight.

No problem man you've got the right attitude you'll do just fine. You're gonna have a blast. Any idea what airframe you're interested in?

axtonmyers
01-29-2013, 12:34 AM
No problem man you've got the right attitude you'll do just fine. You're gonna have a blast. Any idea what airframe you're interested in?

I really want KC-10's just because Ive worked on the 135 and I know how the refueler mission works and what it all entails, C-5's as second, after that its all just a crapshoot, but as long as I can get up in the skies. Well, lets just say I'll be a happy camper either way.

prelude657
01-29-2013, 03:17 AM
CV-22's......fuck it. I was mad when i got it but as soon as they said I was moving to Florida. I embraced it. @Crewdog and Caliphil I woke up to get my drank on with yall and yall playing the sober roll for the first time since we been here. WTF? Tilt rotor riders......Lets do it....Fuck it.

ashtnn
01-30-2013, 03:02 PM
CV-22's......fuck it. I was mad when i got it but as soon as they said I was moving to Florida. I embraced it. @Crewdog and Caliphil I woke up to get my drank on with yall and yall playing the sober roll for the first time since we been here. WTF? Tilt rotor riders......Lets do it....Fuck it.

You sure you don't want to go to the wonderful paradise that is Clovis, NM? Trade ya! See you guys when you get to IQT. I start next week, can't wait.

axtonmyers
02-01-2013, 02:41 PM
Well, off to Lackland to get my training on!

caliphil916
02-02-2013, 04:10 PM
Well, off to Lackland to get my training on!

Good Luck to you, have fun!

ashtnn
02-08-2013, 11:09 PM
Just a tip for those of you(cali, prelude, crew, etc) inbound to ABQ for CV-22 IQT. Stay in the books if you can and haven't already tossed your shit. It'll definitely help you when you get here.

Robert F. Dorr
02-09-2013, 03:27 AM
Just a tip for those of you(cali, prelude, crew, etc) inbound to ABQ for CV-22 IQT. Stay in the books if you can and haven't already tossed your shit. It'll definitely help you when you get here. PM me if you want any of the gouge I have. I also have the bold faces (We only have 3) that you should probably start memorizing now. It's not required, but the instructors will appreciate it.

Also read my article about Kirtland and the CV-22 in Air International magazine.

FE Buckeye Pride
02-19-2013, 05:23 AM
Bump.

With news of projected closures of C-130H squadrons at Little Rock and my unit here in Alaska on the chopping block - the sequestration is going to certainly do some damage to the Engineer career field.

BUSH IRISH
02-21-2013, 05:43 AM
Test block 5/TOLD for BSMA tomorrow and assignments... Hopefully. All SMA's be aware, if you get helo's, and you will, expect 2 month's of help fundies in Bama.

caliphil916
02-23-2013, 01:40 AM
Test block 5/TOLD for BSMA tomorrow and assignments... Hopefully. All SMA's be aware, if you get helo's, and you will, expect 2 month's of help fundies in Bama.

What assignment did you get man?

caliphil916
02-23-2013, 01:40 AM
Just graduated Combat Survival today. Glad thats over with... Water survival and egress next week.

stark
02-24-2013, 02:33 AM
The 1A9 assignments were spread out decently, some nsav, 60s, 22s and hueys but no one got gunships.

FE Buckeye Pride
02-24-2013, 11:54 AM
The 1A9 assignments were spread out decently, some nsav, 60s, 22s and hueys but no one got gunships.

Its going to become more and more unlikely for Engineers to not only NOT get Gunships, but also to not get C-130H's.

They are puting J-Model Herc's in place of the "slicks". Cannon AFB is in the processes of being J'ed up now. Dyess is full J-Model along with some Spec Ops unit.

As I eluded to a few posts ago, the Engineer is becoming extinct on the C-130 world and the sequestration will make it more concrete. The only real places a C-130 Engineer to choose from would be Cheyenne, Colorado Springs (Peterson AFB), Hurlbert AFB(C-130 Talon 2's), Yakota, Kadena, and Davis Monthan. Note that C-Springs and Cheyenne are always 110%+ manned.

The 50th and 53rd at LR AFB should be deactivated with their planes headed to the bone yard in the next 2 years and Pope AFB will also be fully "J'ed" by 2015 (supposedly).

axtonmyers
03-09-2013, 05:00 AM
Well I got my assingment. Not looking forward to Cannon but atleast ill be an FE on whiskey gunships.

ashtnn
03-11-2013, 09:19 PM
The 50th and 53rd at LR AFB should be deactivated with their planes headed to the bone yard in the next 2 years and Pope AFB will also be fully "J'ed" by 2015 (supposedly).

On that note, my buddy that graduated BFE with me in Nov and was assigned slicks at LR, was told a few weeks ago that he'll be going somewhere else by the end of the year. That was before he started IQT but had PCSd to LR and was a few weeks out. I haven't spoken to him for a couple weeks, so I don't know if they've made a decision on where he's going now. But yeah, the guys at LR will probably be out of there by the end of the year or mid next year.

FE Buckeye Pride
03-11-2013, 10:13 PM
On that note, my buddy that graduated BFE with me in Nov and was assigned slicks at LR, was told a few weeks ago that he'll be going somewhere else by the end of the year. That was before he started IQT but had PCSd to LR and was a few weeks out. I haven't spoken to him for a couple weeks, so I don't know if they've made a decision on where he's going now. But yeah, the guys at LR will probably be out of there by the end of the year or mid next year.

He's likely headed to Yokota. Thats where they are hurting the most right now for C-130 Engineers. I know they plucked 3 of 8 from my unit here in Alaska. Everywhere else is overmanned and also converting to J's.

Its sad, the Herc is a legendary tactical aircraft and have molded a ton of bright FE's.

Golther
03-12-2013, 01:54 AM
Its going to become more and more unlikely for Engineers to not only NOT get Gunships, but also to not get C-130H's.

They are puting J-Model Herc's in place of the "slicks". Cannon AFB is in the processes of being J'ed up now. Dyess is full J-Model along with some Spec Ops unit.

As I eluded to a few posts ago, the Engineer is becoming extinct on the C-130 world and the sequestration will make it more concrete. The only real places a C-130 Engineer to choose from would be Cheyenne, Colorado Springs (Peterson AFB), Hurlbert AFB(C-130 Talon 2's), Yakota, Kadena, and Davis Monthan. Note that C-Springs and Cheyenne are always 110%+ manned.

You are correct about us up here in Cheyenne.

axtonmyers
03-22-2013, 09:21 PM
Alright, I have a questions for ya'll. So I finally graduated BFE and came back to my unit. My question is, am I supposed to be working the flightline as my old career field even though right now I'm considered a 3 level flight engineer? Don't get me wrong, I don't mind helping my shop since they're backlogged, but I'm no longer maintenance, I'm aircrew. And I really don't want to have that bite me in the arse. Any help is appreciated.

BigBaze
03-22-2013, 11:29 PM
Alright, I have a questions for ya'll. So I finally graduated BFE and came back to my unit. My question is, am I supposed to be working the flightline as my old career field even though right now I'm considered a 3 level flight engineer? Don't get me wrong, I don't mind helping my shop since they're backlogged, but I'm no longer maintenance, I'm aircrew. And I really don't want to have that bite me in the arse. Any help is appreciated.

When I graduated BFE I went back and worked the flightline until I left. You still can wear the MX badge, go talk to your leadership and let them know that is what you want.

FE Buckeye Pride
03-23-2013, 08:12 PM

Technically speaking you are no longer qualified to work in a maintenance fashion anymore. You are now an unqualified (insert plane here) Flight Engineer. Your duty AFSC is now 1A1X1, you will be on flight status when you arrive at your IQT/MQT base. It would be like myself taking a staff gig (non flying) at Scott AFB, going unqualified and then requesting to perform maintenance on an aircraft because I once did it. You are kind of in a limbo situation where you cant wear a flight suit and fly (not on Aeronautical Orders yet) and also you shouldn't be touching an aircraft.

Will your leadership know any better that you shouldnt be turning wrenches? Not really, they will still see you as a MX troop just now with wings. The downfall is you might find yourself sweeping floors and doing grunt work until you head to SV80 or your IQT/MQT training. IMO, take some leave, relax, go see your family, get your life and affairs in order for the next steps to follow. Stay away from work and let them begin to adjust without you.

axtonmyers
03-24-2013, 04:19 AM
Technically speaking you are no longer qualified to work in a maintenance fashion anymore. You are now an unqualified (insert plane here) Flight Engineer. Your duty AFSC is now 1A1X1, you will be on flight status when you arrive at your IQT/MQT base. It would be like myself taking a staff gig (non flying) at Scott AFB, going unqualified and then requesting to perform maintenance on an aircraft because I once did it. You are kind of in a limbo situation where you cant wear a flight suit and fly (not on Aeronautical Orders yet) and also you shouldn't be touching an aircraft.

Will your leadership know any better that you shouldnt be turning wrenches? Not really, they will still see you as a MX troop just now with wings. The downfall is you might find yourself sweeping floors and doing grunt work until you head to SV80 or your IQT/MQT training. IMO, take some leave, relax, go see your family, get your life and affairs in order for the next steps to follow. Stay away from work and let them begin to adjust without you.

See thats where I'm at now. I think that my unit should be learning how to work without me since I'm no longer going to be a part of it. And as you said Buckeye, I'm 1A1X1 not 2A8. I just need to find an AFI or something, because to me it is common sense. I don't want to put myself in the position of getting royally screwed if I get a QA inspection out there and bam... failed an inspection on something that I shouldn't even be working on to begin with. Guess I'll hit the AFI's for retraining and AFSC's to find out the answer.

Igloowhite
03-25-2013, 03:09 AM
Any Senior NCO within your organization should know that your unqualified in your previous AFSC once you've graduated from another Tech School. If they don't realize that, then have them contact the Training Manager and they can show them the regulation. As of now your unqualified in your previous held AFSC.

stark
03-25-2013, 03:24 PM
Take a look at AFI 36-2101 Table 3.9 on pg 42 and para. 3.3 on pg 19. Essentially, the unit will have to submit a waiver to have the individual perform outside of their duty AFSC-thats the info I received from the schoolhouse.

3.3. Designating a Duty AFSC (DAFSC). A DAFSC, including prefixes, suffixes, and skill levels, must match the authorized unit manpower document (UMD) position. An officer's DAFSC must match an awarded AFSC, either entry, qualified, or staff. The DAFSC for enlisted personnel must match the CAFSC unless the enlisted Airman is on temporary duty (TDY) outside the CAFSC. (Reference paragraph 3.34. for duty out of CAFSC restrictions and time limits.)

Note 3 from the table.
3. Individuals returned to previous duty station following completion of training and who work in their previous AFSC will be reported as working duty out of control. The duty AFSC will match the position the individual is assigned to, but the CAFSC will remain the new AFSC.

So you can work if you are wanting to, but just read up on it to have all your ducks in a row.

caliphil916
04-01-2013, 05:57 PM
Sooooo who's heading to Kirtland for IQT in May?

crewdawg01
04-07-2013, 04:51 PM
Sooooo who's heading to Kirtland for IQT in May?

Me, Me, I am Iam :plane

Turkey9186
04-12-2013, 03:12 AM
Found out Saturday I am a couple months past the cutoff date for in-house training and need to go to the school house. Anyone have a July 8th C5 FEIQ start date?
Jerry

Nifffty
04-16-2013, 05:48 AM
Hey guys I'm new here! I got my retraining approved as of Feb 05 2013 for AFSC 1A111
. It says im scheduled to start Aircrew Fundamentals on 28 JUN 2013. Wondering if anyone else is in the same class? Or if anyone has any pointers?

AfricanSnowOwl
04-16-2013, 08:04 AM
I retrained into 1A1 about 5 years ago. I just recently submitted an application to retrain again to be 1A9. I wanted cv-22 from the start but they wouldn't let new guys on it when I went through. Also afpc for some stupid reason would let me just cross flow. It'll be interesting to see how this works out.

caliphil916
04-17-2013, 08:18 PM
Hey guys I'm new here! I got my retraining approved as of Feb 05 2013 for AFSC 1A111
. It says im scheduled to start Aircrew Fundamentals on 28 JUN 2013. Wondering if anyone else is in the same class? Or if anyone has any pointers?

Congratulations man, just study hard and have fun with it. Flash cards were my best friend. Any idea what airframe you want?

Nifffty
04-22-2013, 04:23 AM
Congratulations man, just study hard and have fun with it. Flash cards were my best friend. Any idea what airframe you want?

Yeah I'm going to push for C-130's as much as I can. Right now I'm a Crew Chief on the C-5 stationed at Dover AFB. Everyone has been telling me since the Govt. is doing so many budget cuts they'll leave me on the C-5 and stay here so they wouldn't have to PCS me.

Retro-55FS
04-30-2013, 03:42 AM
Hi Niffty and everyone! I'm a new guy here as well. I have been viewing the discussions on this forum for months, but this if my first post. Niffty I will be in your class starting on the 28th of June and I am also retraining into Flight Engineer. I am so excitied to enter the world of aviation and meet new friends. Shoot me a message if you would like to meet up when we are down there or if you would like to start a study group. Great meeting you and I look forward to future discussions.

Regards,
Retro

imported_ANALYST
05-02-2013, 01:57 AM
I retrained into 1A1 about 5 years ago. I just recently submitted an application to retrain again to be 1A9. I wanted cv-22 from the start but they wouldn't let new guys on it when I went through. Also afpc for some stupid reason would let me just cross flow. It'll be interesting to see how this works out.

Man, its been a long time since I have been on here, I have been a C-130H2 Flight Engineer for about 2+ years now and have one deployment under my belt.

They are making you submit a package for 1A9, that is crazy, they were offering us the CV-22 a couple of weeks ago. We are projected to get J models and our Engineers need somewhere to go. I am really considering jumping on it, but I am trying to hold out for the KC-10. Keep us informed on what is going on with that situation.

AfricanSnowOwl
05-03-2013, 03:10 AM
Yeah even though I was/am a current and qualified KC-10 engineer, they still made do an initial class III flight physical. By far the dumbest thing I had to go through so far. After that, submitted everything to AFPC and the only surprise was that they wanted an ETP to leave the career field, since its apparently "balanced". I sent that in about 2 weeks ago. They told me it goes straight to a functional and either gets approved or not. No boards. Said I should have an answer in 2-3 weeks. If approved it apparently goes straight to a status 5 or 6 on vmpf. Skips the 3 status altogether.

caliphil916
05-06-2013, 11:33 AM
Yeah I'm going to push for C-130's as much as I can. Right now I'm a Crew Chief on the C-5 stationed at Dover AFB. Everyone has been telling me since the Govt. is doing so many budget cuts they'll leave me on the C-5 and stay here so they wouldn't have to PCS me.

I was a crew chief on C-130s in Little Rock and was told the same thing, that they didn't want to pay to move me... Then our entire class got CV-22s. You never know!

JD2780
06-09-2013, 11:32 PM
im in lackland now. just got here today, and cant remember what time class starts. also which building for sure. i didnt print out the paper and it doesnt say on my orders. my buddy thinks its 7 or 730 but i want to make sure. also the building he said is the 344th training? is that correct? thanks

Wake up ass early, find the building by 630. If you find it way early, go get a coffee, if not bust your ass to find it by 7.

danny2485
06-09-2013, 11:35 PM
thanks, i figured i would try and find it by 630 if noone can tell me here. if anyone can tell me exactly before i go to bed id appreciate it.

danny2485
06-09-2013, 11:37 PM
im in lackland now. just got here today, and cant remember what time class starts. also which building for sure. i didnt print out the paper and it doesnt say on my orders. my buddy thinks its 7 or 730 but i want to make sure. also the building he said is the 344th training? is that correct? thanks

JD2780
06-09-2013, 11:44 PM

Wake up ass early, find the building by 630. If you find it way early, go get a coffee, if not bust your ass to find it by 7.

danny2485
06-09-2013, 11:45 PM
thanks, i figured i would try and find it by 630 if noone can tell me here. if anyone can tell me exactly before i go to bed id appreciate it.

KC-10 FE
06-17-2013, 06:00 PM
I am currently a C-130 FE with an assignment to KC-10's at Travis. I used to be a GAC troop on 10's for 10 years prior to retraining. Hoping there are some 10 FE's that could give me some idea what it's like to be on the jet.

I know the avionics systems really well. What is training like? Approx how long does it take to get fully qualified/CMR?

Would appreciate all helpful info, thanks!

Can't start a new thread yet as I am on new guy probation LOL, so figured this would be the best place.

sbuxlandry
07-27-2013, 12:40 AM
Any word on how to get a Non-A at Kirtland for CV-22 school in its entirety? I am getting told I have to stay on base and loose out on full rate per diem due to the 58th suggesting we live on base.

UH1FE
07-27-2013, 02:45 AM
Even if you stay on base you get proportional per diem I think its like 36 a day. You will get a letter when you in-process that first day that authorizes it. West side billeting you get two rooms, a living room and a bedroom connected by the bathroom. The eastside is nicer and harder to get into but you only get the standard one room. If you stay on base you don't have to worry as much about your car getting broken into or stolen too.

akruse
07-27-2013, 06:23 AM
Move off base and get an apartment. At $59 a day for billeting you can find a fucking penthouse for that off base. You're still going to spend the same amount of money living on or off base anyway. Go find a place with your classmates and live like a king. I did it back when it was $39 and still made out.

dapointa77
08-08-2013, 11:49 PM
I just hit status 5 today! pretty excited to get a class date.

Robert F. Dorr
08-08-2013, 11:53 PM
I just hit status 5 today! pretty excited to get a class date.

That's saying something.

dapointa77
08-08-2013, 11:56 PM
That's saying something.

how long does one wait after hitting status 5 usually?

Retro-55FS
08-09-2013, 01:02 AM
Dapointal77,

It took about a week for my class dates to come after hitting status 5. If you don't see anything in a week or two call AFPC and ask to speak to a MILITARY member. Nothing against civilians, but whenever I wanted to get a real answer I bypassed the civilians at AFPC.

My class and I are graduating next Wednesday from BFE. The FE instructors here are outstanding and really want you to succeed. The course is intense and you will receive a ton of information at a very fast pace. It is not that difficult if you apply yourself and study. Repetition is the key to being successful in the performance blocks. Some of the performance math and TOLD charts may seem a little overwhelming at first, but when you practice them over and over, they will become second nature. If you do not study you simply won't succeed. Me and three other guys literally studied every night during the week days and blew a little stem off one day during the weekend and then we were back at it.

I wish you the best of luck and if you have any questions please feel free to ask.

Regards,
Retro

imnohero
08-09-2013, 01:20 AM
Welcome back, Bob. A whole 8 days, eh? That's a much shorter "never" than I expected. By the way, he didn't SAY anything, he wrote something.

Max Power
08-09-2013, 01:29 AM
That's saying something.

Tell us more about your Flight Engineer retraining experience Bob. I'm sitting on the edge of my seat in anticipation.

dapointa77
08-09-2013, 02:40 AM
Dapointal77,

It took about a week for my class dates to come after hitting status 5. If you don't see anything in a week or two call AFPC and ask to speak to a MILITARY member. Nothing against civilians, but whenever I wanted to get a real answer I bypassed the civilians at AFPC.

My class and I are graduating next Wednesday from BFE. The FE instructors here are outstanding and really want you to succeed. The course is intense and you will receive a ton of information at a very fast pace. It is not that difficult if you apply yourself and study. Repetition is the key to being successful in the performance blocks. Some of the performance math and TOLD charts may seem a little overwhelming at first, but when you practice them over and over, they will become second nature. If you do not study you simply won't succeed. Me and three other guys literally studied every night during the week days and blew a little stem off one day during the weekend and then we were back at it.

I wish you the best of luck and if you have any questions please feel free to ask.

Regards,
Retro

thanks for the information. If I come up with any questions I will def' send them your way.

Mjölnir
08-09-2013, 04:05 PM
Max,
Nice pic in the signature. I object though, I don't wear glasses.

p5150
08-11-2013, 01:01 AM
Anyone having issues with submitting an application to AFPC due to the NCORP lockout

p5150
08-11-2013, 02:37 AM
Anyone having issues with submitting an application to AFPC due to the NCORP lockout

To clarify, unless you are identified on the OUT quota, it looks like AFPC will not consider your NCORP application until October 1st which is the projected date of completion of Phase II (nonvoluntary) of the NCORP. Right now, the retraining advisory is showing at least 70 open slots for 1A1 and another 70 or so for 1A9. No 1A or 2A AFSCs are on the OUT list and showing as eligible, but there were some 2T3 and 3M0s..... Feeder AFSCs do not have enough bodies highlighted on the OUT quotas, and the majority of the eligible AFSCs are undergoing mandatory retraining to specific AFSC. For example, the 2As identified are required to retrain into another 2A career field...... I suppose that some of the other AFSCs on the OUT quotas COULD apply for retraining to 1A1 or 1A9 with an ETP but I cant see it being very many people.

Long story short, there is no way they are going to fill the quotas and I predict a relatively empty school house that will be attended by CAREERS airmen almost exclusively for a few months.

jmb27
08-12-2013, 05:42 PM
To clarify, unless you are identified on the OUT quota, it looks like AFPC will not consider your NCORP application until October 1st which is the projected date of completion of Phase II (nonvoluntary) of the NCORP. Right now, the retraining advisory is showing at least 70 open slots for 1A1 and another 70 or so for 1A9. No 1A or 2A AFSCs are on the OUT list and showing as eligible, but there were some 2T3 and 3M0s..... Feeder AFSCs do not have enough bodies highlighted on the OUT quotas, and the majority of the eligible AFSCs are undergoing mandatory retraining to specific AFSC. For example, the 2As identified are required to retrain into another 2A career field...... I suppose that some of the other AFSCs on the OUT quotas COULD apply for retraining to 1A1 or 1A9 with an ETP but I cant see it being very many people.

Long story short, there is no way they are going to fill the quotas and I predict a relatively empty school house that will be attended by CAREERS airmen almost exclusively for a few months.

Where did you get 70, I'm only seeing 36 for 1A1?

Either way, I'm in the same situation. I got denied by AFPC the same day I submitted the eligibilty request. In the mean time I'm working on the ETP to release me from a balanced career field. Luckily I'm in a feeder AFSC that is not undermanned so at least I have that going for me.

dub13
08-13-2013, 02:39 AM
Haven't been on this thread in a long time... Like a lot of you guys/gals asking questions or reading up on BFE if you are heading to Tinker for gaywacs on the mighty 707 ask away if you have any. Been here over 5 years now and love the airframe, just not the rear enders and the BS that comes with them window lickers.

p5150
08-13-2013, 06:52 AM
This whole NCORP thing aligns all too perfectly with a fiscal year... Depending on what congress does with the budget we may see a swing in authorizations. No guarantee either way though; all you can do is be ready, right?

p5150
08-13-2013, 06:55 AM
Where did you get 70, I'm only seeing 36 for 1A1?

Either way, I'm in the same situation. I got denied by AFPC the same day I submitted the eligibilty request. In the mean time I'm working on the ETP to release me from a balanced career field. Luckily I'm in a feeder AFSC that is not undermanned so at least I have that going for me.

Have you been able to get your Class III done? For the numbers, I was adding the quotas for SrA and SSgt together. I dont think the rank quotas are as rigid as you may believe.

jmb27
08-14-2013, 05:34 PM
Have you been able to get your Class III done? For the numbers, I was adding the quotas for SrA and SSgt together. I dont think the rank quotas are as rigid as you may believe.

I haven't had the physical done yet, it's another item I want to check off the list before October, especially since I hear it takes a while to get back. I need to have everything in order as soon as possible since my code 50 expires next spring and I don't want to deal with orders to PCS while tying to accomplish everything I need for a package to re-train.

As far as the number go I was also adding the quotas together. Either way, just like you said earlier, I still don't see them filling the quotas with Phase II.

p5150
08-14-2013, 05:52 PM
I haven't had the physical done yet, it's another item I want to check off the list before October, especially since I hear it takes a while to get back. I need to have everything in order as soon as possible since my code 50 expires next spring and I don't want to deal with orders to PCS while tying to accomplish everything I need for a package to re-train.

As far as the number go I was also adding the quotas together. Either way, just like you said earlier, I still don't see them filling the quotas with Phase II.

No they wont fill them. I see what youre saying... the quotas dropped significantly for 1A1 but 1A9 is still up there. They must have been doing a lot of ETPs.

You have to get initial approval from AFPC to get the letter authorizing your class 3.

loadsmith
08-26-2013, 09:13 PM
I am looking for some guidance on a situation a few folks on here may have experienced. On the Loadmaster Facebook page there are a few guys cross training who have about 6 months after they graduate BLM(awarded 1A231 upon graduation) before they begin their follow on training at LR or Altus. Their CAFSC shows 1A231 but their DAFSC shows their former AFSC, MX type jobs for both.

The question is: Can their respective units use them until they leave for training in their former career field? I searched a few regulations but it's a gray area and not directly addressed.

Thanks in advance for any help

bcoco14
08-27-2013, 04:20 AM
I am looking for some guidance on a situation a few folks on here may have experienced. On the Loadmaster Facebook page there are a few guys cross training who have about 6 months after they graduate BLM(awarded 1A231 upon graduation) before they begin their follow on training at LR or Altus. Their CAFSC shows 1A231 but their DAFSC shows their former AFSC, MX type jobs for both.

The question is: Can their respective units use them until they leave for training in their former career field? I searched a few regulations but it's a gray area and not directly addressed.

Thanks in advance for any help

Yes they can use them. Even though you are awarded a 3 level in your new AFSC you still hold your MX AFSC and will for the rest of your career. So seeing as how you still hold the MX AFSC and are still qualified to perform MX tasks, still assigned to a MX unit and still are taking up a spot on their manning document until you PCS, yes you have to work. My advice is don't burn bridges.

jmb27
10-17-2013, 08:08 PM
I'm in the process of filling out the retraining application for FE and there are two areas where it states that I need counseling.

The first area is for all retrainees and states that by clicking the submit button I am certifying that I have received counseling per AFI 36-2626, Appendix 7. The current version of that AFI that was released this past June only has one appendix for definitions and acronyms and I didn't see anywhere within the AFI itself that says there is a need for counseling.

There is also a statement that asked if I received counseling for flying duty.

I can’t find any guidance on the MyPers website so I called the Total Force Service Center yesterday and the lady on the phone told me to answer those questions no and submit it, although she did not sound very confident in that answer. I talked to another individual today who said that answer didn't seem right and referred me to the local MPS Retraining Office. I found out today that office no longer exists and it was explained to me that everything was handled online.
Does anyone know the correct process for receiving this counseling or if the lady on the phone was correct? I would hate for my application to be rejected due to some bad advice.

I can;t find any guidance on the MyPers website so I called the Total Force Service Center yesterday and the lady on the phone told me to answer those questions no and submit it, although she did not sound very confident in that answer. I talked to another individual today who said that answer didn't seem righ and refered me to the local MPS Retraining Office that I found out today no longer exists.

Retro-55FS
10-24-2013, 05:54 AM
Hi jmb27,

The counseling for flying duty MFR should have been included in your items that AFPC provided you in myPers to get completed. If you didn't receive it, if is simply a MFR like this:

DEPARTMENT OF THE AIR FORCE
HEADQUARTERS AIR FORCE PERSONNEL CENTER
RANDOLPH AIR FORCE BASE, TEXAS
NOTE Center the above at the top of the MFR

MEMORANDUM FOR AFPC/DPSOAR

SUBJECT: Volunteer Status for Flying Duty

1. I, RANK/YOUR NAME/SSN certify that I am a volunteer for flying duty. I have been counseled and fully understand the high demands and OPS tempo attached to this AFSC.

SIGN YOUR NAME HERE
YOUR NAME, RANK/USAF

At the top left of the MFR include the DOD symbol. You can find this on the internet by searching for official MFR letterheads.

This is all you need to fulfill this requirement and please let me know if I can help you further.

One more tip or you; if you are getting the run around from AFPC, ask to speak to a military member. This is honestly the only way I got things accomplished.

Good Luck,
Retro

jmb27
10-30-2013, 06:36 PM
Thanks for the reply. After five phone calls I finally talked to someone there who gave me a good answer. You don't even have to write a memo for that, it is all handled on the website, they just didn't provide very clear guidance on the website and flat out wrong directions a couple of times on the phone. The only memo I should need is an ETP to train out of a balanced AFSC, which I already completed and had my CC sign. All I'm waiting on now is the medical stuff to come back from my physical that I had done on the 1st of the month before I can continue.

Retro-55FS
10-30-2013, 07:01 PM
Hi jmb27,

I'm glad you are making some progress. Stay proactive with Flight Medicine while you await your 1042. It can take a LONG time to get the initial flight physical completed. Due to my pro-activeness, or annoyance, I was able to get my 1042 back in about a month and a half. Technically, if I wouldn't have stayed on Flight Med's rear-end, it would have taken almost 5 months for it to come back stamped from higher headquarters.

This part of the journey is frustrating but trust me, and any FE will tell you the same, it is all worth it in the end. Good luck to you and let us know if you need anymore help.

Regards,
Retro