PDA

View Full Version : Flight Engineer retraining

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17

YaKkO
10-17-2011, 09:27 PM
Got our "unofficial" assignments over the weekend. They're waiting on class dates to make them official, but I am suppose to be going to Malmstrom AFB on Hueys. We graduate next week and I can't wait, feels like I've been here forever.

I can't say I would be pumped about the base but looking back I wonder if I would of liked the Huey. It sounds like a fun ass Airframe. Congrats man.

theyard
10-17-2011, 09:32 PM
I can't say I would be pumped about the base but looking back I wonder if I would of liked the Huey. It sounds like a fun ass Airframe. Congrats man.

Thanks yakko, it's now officially an assignment but the base changed to F.E. Warren. Hueys were my second choice of airframe, so I'm pretty happy with what I got.

LamJam
10-18-2011, 12:00 AM
feels like I've been here forever.

You think two months is long? Wait until you get to Kirtland.

jasongrant
10-19-2011, 04:24 AM
do you still get paid BAH/BAS from your losing unit while in training??

BigBaze
10-19-2011, 10:10 AM
do you still get paid BAH/BAS from your losing unit while in training??

Yes. You are on TDY orders through Lackland and all the survival schools.

afmeekins
10-23-2011, 05:45 PM
I was looking through the thread and the etca site, but still not sure if you wear blues on the first day or not. I have heard from somewhere that you do, just trying to clarify. In addition, other then taking your 1042, do you really need your med records (I know that the etca site tells you to get them).

bcoco14
10-23-2011, 06:05 PM
I was looking through the thread and the etca site, but still not sure if you wear blues on the first day or not. I have heard from somewhere that you do, just trying to clarify. In addition, other then taking your 1042, do you really need your med records (I know that the etca site tells you to get them).

If the first day is a Monday then yes. My class started on a Thursday or Friday so we showed up in ABUs. As for the medical records I brought mine others just had a 1042. But just know this, if you decide not to bring them and they are listed on the reporting instuctions you are uping your chances of getting sent home. I would just bring them.

theyard
10-24-2011, 11:55 PM

Bcoco14 is right about the blues, you only wear them on a Monday or Full Service when you graduate BFE. When it came to the medical records I called the guy named on the ETCA site and talked to him about it. He said bring them if you can but I haven't needed them yet and I graduate BFE on Wednesday. You should definitely bring multiple copies of your 1042 though.

afmeekins
10-25-2011, 12:07 AM
Bcoco14 is right about the blues, you only wear them on a Monday or Full Service when you graduate BFE. When it came to the medical records I called the guy named on the ETCA site and talked to him about it. He said bring them if you can but I haven't needed them yet and I graduate BFE on Wednesday. You should definitely bring multiple copies of your 1042 though.

Thanks for the input. I went ahead and grabbed my med records today, didnt want to take the chance. Started the long journey of driving down there today.

jasongrant
10-25-2011, 04:27 PM
good luck to you man! hope to see you down there sometime

afmeekins
10-26-2011, 12:07 AM
good luck to you man! hope to see you down there sometime

Thanks man, yea definitely. I never knew it would be such a long and boring ride from Dover to down this way.

ashtnn
10-26-2011, 09:18 PM
Found out today our deployment was cancelled. Barring any retasking happening between now and january-ish, hopefully I'll be putting in and starting sooner than I anticipated. Not holding my breath though, my shop has to be one of the most constantly deployed in my career field. Ah the downside of being at Lackland already...

VidMXGuy
10-27-2011, 05:08 AM
Found out today our deployment was cancelled. Barring any retasking happening between now and january-ish, hopefully I'll be putting in and starting sooner than I anticipated. Not holding my breath though, my shop has to be one of the most constantly deployed in my career field. Ah the downside of being at Lackland already...

Yeah, I went through fundies and bfe a few years ago, I was also stationed at Lackland. Didn't get any per diem money with the exception of SERE, because I also got C-5s, which, FEIQ is still at Lackland for the time being. You'll miss the money man!

ashtnn
10-27-2011, 05:29 PM

Knew it was too good to be true...got another deployment.

theyard
11-11-2011, 06:17 AM
Well no one's posted in a while so I'll put in an update. I'm up at SERE training and all of water survival is done, btw under water egress sucks. I love water and swimming but being dunked and rolled upside down at least 4 or 5 times was horrible but I pushed through. Heading out Saturday for our first time in the field and I'm kinda looking forward to it after being in billeting for the past 3 months. If anyone has any questions about the paperwork stuff or water survival stuff, shoot away.

Turkey9186
11-11-2011, 03:32 PM
Happy valley, such a fun place! They don't like it when you duct tape an instructor in an outhouse during the night march. Play hide the flag in camp. Or, let your fellow student, who happened to be from EOD, rig up the flashbang grenades to go off at one time. Yes, we got additional "training." lol

I am still waiting on my physical. Hopefully sometime in the next six months.

Have fun, and remember it mostly a mind game. They will teach you an awful lot in a short time period though. Listen to what they have to say.

Tuttle2207
11-11-2011, 10:17 PM
I am currently in the process of submitting my paperwork to cross training to Flight Engineer too, is there any advice you could give me from what you learned? Also, I am still a first term airman so I don't know if that makes a difference.

Golther
11-13-2011, 11:25 PM
I am currently in the process of submitting my paperwork to cross training to Flight Engineer too, is there any advice you could give me from what you learned? Also, I am still a first term airman so I don't know if that makes a difference.

Most likely you will get it, if you pass you flight physical.

ashtnn
11-23-2011, 06:56 AM
Called flight med today and found out my IFC III came back approved. Going to go pick it up in the morning and then it's just a matter of waiting until 20 Jan (my 3 year mark) to start the AFPC process. Question for those of you who had younger airman in their class. I know assignments vary widely and personal preference can play a big part, but do young guys typically get what they want? I don't know how class breakdowns are, but I'm thinking that when it comes down to it, I'd be picking from the bottom of the bucket. If I'm completely off on this one, then excuse my stupidity. Just would like to get a feel for what it's like. FWIW, as it stands I'm leaning more towards C-5s or KC-10s. I'm 100% aware those may have a larger amount of desire, which is why I'm trying to get a feel for whether or not I'd be shafted being the young guy in class.

bcoco14
11-23-2011, 09:53 AM
Called flight med today and found out my IFC III came back approved. Going to go pick it up in the morning and then it's just a matter of waiting until 20 Jan (my 3 year mark) to start the AFPC process. Question for those of you who had younger airman in their class. I know assignments vary widely and personal preference can play a big part, but do young guys typically get what they want? I don't know how class breakdowns are, but I'm thinking that when it comes down to it, I'd be picking from the bottom of the bucket. If I'm completely off on this one, then excuse my stupidity. Just would like to get a feel for what it's like. FWIW, as it stands I'm leaning more towards C-5s or KC-10s. I'm 100% aware those may have a larger amount of desire, which is why I'm trying to get a feel for whether or not I'd be shafted being the young guy in class.

It goes like this. You fill out a dream sheet with your preferances. They take everybody's sheet from your class and stack them according to rank. Then they go down the top guys list until they can match him with what he wants according to his rankings. Then the next ranking guy and so on. So it really depends on whats open and what ther others in your class want. If everybody in your class wants HH-60's or C-130's and you want KC-10's or C-5's and there is a spot open for -10's or -5's then your chances are good that you can get what you want. If everybody is going for the same thing then being at the bottom of the list isn't going to pan out for you, most likely. When in the FY you go to school and what base you are curently stationed at can also play a part. Also lets say you are at Tinker and you list E-3's #29 they may just put you on E-3's to save on the PCS money. There are many factors that go into handing out assignments.

YaKkO
11-23-2011, 10:26 AM
It goes like this. You fill out a dream sheet with your preferances. They take everybody's sheet from your class and stack them according to rank. Then they go down the top guys list until they can match him with what he wants according to his rankings. Then the next ranking guy and so on. So it really depends on whats open and what ther others in your class want. If everybody in your class wants HH-60's or C-130's and you want KC-10's or C-5's and there is a spot open for -10's or -5's then your chances are good that you can get what you want. If everybody is going for the same thing then being at the bottom of the list isn't going to pan out for you, most likely. When in the FY you go to school and what base you are curently stationed at can also play a part. Also lets say you are at Tinker and you list E-3's #29 they may just put you on E-3's to save on the PCS money. There are many factors that go into handing out assignments.

Or you could go full retard, and put E-3's as #9.... and get it when 1-8 were C-130's because you thought OKC would be a good family location....Which it is but then theres that whole you still gotta deal with AWACS problem lol

ashtnn
11-23-2011, 12:32 PM

Much appreciated. Right now I'm stationed at Lackland so being as there's no flying mission other than the 433rd reserve guys and C-5 IQT, I won't be staying here thank fucking god (atleast as a permanent position for the time being.) And I had a feeling that's what would happen. Hopefully I wind up in a class where everyone wants -60 low and slow action or are looking out for their family like yakko. lol

jasongrant
11-23-2011, 10:25 PM
7 more days and 2A is off my AFSC...i woulda never guessed this time has finally come!

afmeekins
11-24-2011, 02:57 AM
Just to chime in. I'm currently down here at the school house and there is a new method of selecting your assignments. Instead of having a dream sheet with both aircraft's and their respective bases, you only get to pick what aircraft you would like to get and then it's all up to the functional on where you go from there.

ashtnn
11-24-2011, 09:07 AM
So I went to pick up my 1042 this morning. I get to flight med and they tell me that they've already sent my 1042 to Kelly Clinic as that's where my records are maintained. Went over there and after a run around of like 45 minutes trying to figure out who the fuck had my stuff (they know fuck all about 1042s/flight physicals), we looked through my records and found it in the back. This is where I ran into an issue. When I called flight med the other day and was told it was ready, I specifically asked if it had been corrected to say 1A0/1/2 because when I first got it done in Oct they had only put 1A0 because "that's all it allows us to do." The guy told me when I called that it says 1A0/1/2 and I left it at that. Well now the one I currently have only says 1A0 and flight med is telling me I'll be fine with submitting that. They said the one they were looking at while I was on the phone with them had all 3, so now I've got to go back monday and get this shit sorted out. Good thing I have time until I can submit otherwise I'd be a little more pissed. Just once though, it'd be nice to get something done with out an hiccups. :yell

bcoco14
11-24-2011, 11:21 AM
I don't think having 1a0 or any other AFSC listed really matters. I think, emphasis on think, that 1a0 has a higher requirement for DP so if you can qualify for that then you can qualify for any aircrew job. I know mine said 1a0 but my number 1 choice was 1a1 and that's what I got. I think it matters more what they put on your 422 at public health than what your 1042 has listed. The 1042 clears you for flight duties. A few other things to know are: make sure you sign your 1042 and now that you have been cleared for flight duties you now belong to flight medicine. If you see any other doctor other than a flight doc, that includes your old PCM, then your 1042 is invalid and you'll have to go see the flight doc to get a new one.

jasongrant
12-05-2011, 10:58 PM
in fundies at the moment...my assessment of this class is that unless u dont have prior mx background, theres no way u should fail...with that said, a good 1.5-2 hrs a night of studying should be fine. tryin to stay awake thru T.O. Pubs/Changes....

Jones
12-12-2011, 10:12 PM
I'm starting Aircrew Fundamentals on 14 February. Anyone else here starting the same day?

imported_Steveo16220
12-30-2011, 01:35 AM
2 hours of studying for fundies... bwahahahaha

imported_AeroMech78
12-30-2011, 06:58 AM
2 hours of studying for fundies... bwahahahaha

As unnecessary as that sounds, I would encourage everyone to go into fundies with this mindset. Better to over achieve and ace the tests than to underestimate and fall on your face. That said....fundies is pretty damn easy if you pay attention in class

imported_AeroMech78
12-30-2011, 07:12 AM
It's been a while since I updated so, here goes

Finished fundies back in June 2010 and washed out of BFE at Block IV shortly thereafter.
Picked myself up, washed the sand out of my mangina and went back to finish what I started 8 months later
Finished BFE in March 2011
SERE in April
Little Rock IQT/FIQ in November followed by water survival in P-Cola
Currently working through unit Indoc and loving every bit of it.

Should be cut loose in January with a desert rotation by January 2013

Good luck to everyone!

YaKkO
12-30-2011, 10:40 PM
Your predicting a Deployment over a year out?

Other than that good job man way to bounce back. Welcome to the club!

imported_AeroMech78
12-31-2011, 12:04 AM
Your predicting a Deployment over a year out?

Other than that good job man way to bounce back. Welcome to the club!

Thats the word from AFRC according to our local command. My only guess is that reserve units get advance notice so that all us traditional reservists have the opportunity to notify civilian employers. At this point its all voluntary and apparently we always take over for a particular unit up north. Like everything else its subject to sudden change in plans but its got everyone making plans at this point

Turkey9186
01-09-2012, 02:09 AM
Nine months down the road, and my medical waiver (lasic) leaves for AFRC tomorrow. And you guys thought the active duty was slow with physicals?
Hopefully the waiver will be back in a couple months and I will be flying again by this summer.

ladyteeSrA
01-10-2012, 07:25 AM
Hello all. I have soooo many questions. so i have been trying to retrain for about a year now. i recently went status 5 and i called AFPC to ask what job i got picked up for and they told me 1n1x1a, which was my 1st choice. then i get to work today and get emails saying that my retrain for 1n1 was cancelled. i was crushed, but then i saw emails saying that i was approved for 1a411. i know this thread is FE but for the most part i believe we go through the same classes. so my question is how tough is combat survival training and water evasion? i do not know how to swim and i was wondering if it would be beneficial to try to learn before i leave. also does anyone know any 1a411's? if so can you tell me some things about the day to day job.

purefun660
01-26-2012, 07:28 PM
I have spent endless hours reading "all" of the pages with this thread and there is a lot of great info so thanks for that. I leave for Lackland this week for class starting on the 31st. Anyone else on here going to be in that class? Here is my question, what did you bring with you that you did not need and what did you not bring that you wish you had? i have all the paperwork and medical stuff i.e. I can read the ETCA website. I am talking more along the lines of uniforms, civy clothes, gear. My RA said I do not get anything until I am done with this class so I am hoping that I do not get screwed by this. Any info along these lines would be appreciated. I guess I should mention I am going to Lackland for 1A1 AFSC, been in for 13 yrs, curently a 2A5X3B, been stationed at Lackland in the past for 5 yrs (MTI duty) so I know my way around. Cant wait to get there and get this going.

purefun660
01-28-2012, 10:22 PM
Is this thread dead or what. No replies to my last post so if you are in the class that starts on the 31st see you there.

bcoco14
01-29-2012, 01:58 AM
I have spent endless hours reading "all" of the pages with this thread and there is a lot of great info so thanks for that. I leave for Lackland this week for class starting on the 31st. Anyone else on here going to be in that class? Here is my question, what did you bring with you that you did not need and what did you not bring that you wish you had? i have all the paperwork and medical stuff i.e. I can read the ETCA website. I am talking more along the lines of uniforms, civy clothes, gear. My RA said I do not get anything until I am done with this class so I am hoping that I do not get screwed by this. Any info along these lines would be appreciated. I guess I should mention I am going to Lackland for 1A1 AFSC, been in for 13 yrs, curently a 2A5X3B, been stationed at Lackland in the past for 5 yrs (MTI duty) so I know my way around. Cant wait to get there and get this going.

Here is what you need. ABU's Blues and PT gear, civy's for when you go out with your class. Everything you need for class will be provided for you except pencils pens ect. maybe a notebook if you like to take notes. Your RA is right that you wont get anything issued to you (flight gear) until you pass BFE and know what airframe you are going to.

BigBaze
01-29-2012, 01:54 PM
Hello all. I have soooo many questions. so i have been trying to retrain for about a year now. i recently went status 5 and i called AFPC to ask what job i got picked up for and they told me 1n1x1a, which was my 1st choice. then i get to work today and get emails saying that my retrain for 1n1 was cancelled. i was crushed, but then i saw emails saying that i was approved for 1a411. i know this thread is FE but for the most part i believe we go through the same classes. so my question is how tough is combat survival training and water evasion? i do not know how to swim and i was wondering if it would be beneficial to try to learn before i leave. also does anyone know any 1a411's? if so can you tell me some things about the day to day job.

Water training is awesome if you get to go to Pensacola, you do three days of parasailing. SERE is about 3 weeks, and depending what time of year you go through the outdoor part can be ok. I went through in July 2008 and the week in the woods wasn't so bad. You'll find out a lot about yourself through other parts of the course.

ashtnn
01-30-2012, 07:45 AM
Quick question for any FTA that have gone through the application process in recent months. AFPC approved my eligibility request a few days ago so I'm in the process of putting together my package. I've got an ETP for a non-feeder AFSC drawn up that I will try and route to my CC within the coming weeks. I just feel like the that something's missing WRT the documents AFPC wants me to send back. I submitted for 1A2, 1A1, and 1A0.

They sent me the following: checklist that has phys exam letter, retainability letter, and flying duty letter checked off. Memorandum that I'm supposed to take to Public Health (I already have a completed 1042 that I got in Nov. thanks to a hook up at flight med, so I should just need my 422), the 3 physical qualification letters for flight med for the AFSCs I submitted, and my volunteer status for flying duty letter. I'm sure it's all the required documents but for what ever reason, I feel like it's less than I've seen others talk about in the past. Maybe the process changed but that's why I'm asking if any FTA have done this recently. FWIW, I'm using my early retraining option. Any help would be great.

ladyteeSrA
01-31-2012, 02:37 AM
Water training is awesome if you get to go to Pensacola, you do three days of parasailing. SERE is about 3 weeks, and depending what time of year you go through the outdoor part can be ok. I went through in July 2008 and the week in the woods wasn't so bad. You'll find out a lot about yourself through other parts of the course.

Thanks BigBaze. it's been awhile since you've started the whole process of retraining and I wanted to know how you feel about your transition from a regular AFSC to an aircrew AFSC. Any pros and cons?

ladyteeSrA
01-31-2012, 02:47 AM
Quick question for any FTA that have gone through the application process in recent months. AFPC approved my eligibility request a few days ago so I'm in the process of putting together my package. I've got an ETP for a non-feeder AFSC drawn up that I will try and route to my CC within the coming weeks. I just feel like the that something's missing WRT the documents AFPC wants me to send back. I submitted for 1A2, 1A1, and 1A0.

They sent me the following: checklist that has phys exam letter, retainability letter, and flying duty letter checked off. Memorandum that I'm supposed to take to Public Health (I already have a completed 1042 that I got in Nov. thanks to a hook up at flight med, so I should just need my 422), the 3 physical qualification letters for flight med for the AFSCs I submitted, and my volunteer status for flying duty letter. I'm sure it's all the required documents but for what ever reason, I feel like it's less than I've seen others talk about in the past. Maybe the process changed but that's why I'm asking if any FTA have done this recently. FWIW, I'm using my early retraining option. Any help would be great.

I am a FTA and just got approved last month and the requirements that you stated are the exact same ones I had to complete.

fromxtor
02-03-2012, 01:09 PM
My package got approved on friday, received an e-mail saying AFPC approved me yesterday. Went to check my status that same day, and it was 5 already.

imported_AeroMech78
02-06-2012, 11:57 PM
Heads up for all you prospective FE's that are hoping for a gig on Guard or Reserve C-130H's. The brass are looking for ways to cut defense spending and the majority of stateside H2's in the inventory are on the chopping block. What does this mean for you? Unless you go to a unit that has H3's, you may need to start thinking long term. Check out this link (http://www.af.mil/shared/media/document/AFD-120203-027.pdf). The proposal also applies to legacy C-5A's.

StormJordan
02-07-2012, 04:56 AM
scary stuff.^

strangeluv8
02-16-2012, 02:44 AM
My package got approved on friday, received an e-mail saying AFPC approved me yesterday. Went to check my status that same day, and it was 5 already.

I was approved today...status 5 as well. Do you have class dates yet?

ashtnn
02-27-2012, 12:13 PM
I was able to submit my application this past Friday. My 422 only took a few days to get back, instead of the two to three weeks or more that they originally told me. The only hassle was getting my ETP routed and signed by my CC. Had to stay late (night shift) a couple days to get that circus sorted out, but finally got that finished on friday. Hopefully it doesn't take too long for my CC to check the box, I'd like to go status 3 ASAP. I've got a two month TDY to qatar coming up so we'll see how this all plays out. I'd love to have class dates some time in june or july.

Also, just figured I'd post this as a heads up for anyone that comes down here and gets put on Kelly. I'm Vehicle Ops at Lackland and it seems like almost every night if not every other night (or morning,) we get a call from someone staying in Kelly billeting asking for a ride over to Lackland. Unfortunately, we cannot provide taxis to TDY personnel, either with our manpower or a base taxi. If you ever find your self stuck at Kelly, you're going to have to call a commercial taxi and get reimbursed. Hopefully this will alleviate some confusion if any of you guys find your self stuck in that situation. Just a friendly heads up, cause I feel like a dick when I tell them no.

fromxtor
02-28-2012, 06:52 PM
I was approved today...status 5 as well. Do you have class dates yet?

I do 18 May

fromxtor
02-28-2012, 06:54 PM
Also, just figured I'd post this as a heads up for anyone that comes down here and gets put on Kelly. I'm Vehicle Ops at Lackland and it seems like almost every night if not every other night (or morning,) we get a call from someone staying in Kelly billeting asking for a ride over to Lackland. Unfortunately, we cannot provide taxis to TDY personnel, either with our manpower or a base taxi. If you ever find your self stuck at Kelly, you're going to have to call a commercial taxi and get reimbursed. Hopefully this will alleviate some confusion if any of you guys find your self stuck in that situation. Just a friendly heads up, cause I feel like a dick when I tell them no.

Thanks for the heads up brother, I will be driving my POV from NC so driving from kelly shouldn't be a problem if I get put there.

strangeluv8
02-28-2012, 11:31 PM
I do 18 May

Nice! When did you go status 6........and good luck!

fromxtor
02-29-2012, 12:02 PM
Nice! When did you go status 6........and good luck!

About a week or two after I went status 5, make sure to call Formal training. They had my dates before they got my rip.

40-water
02-29-2012, 04:01 PM
Not too sure if it matters to anybody but ill be attending the fundamentals course 13MAR! I started silently reading this post from the beginning; So many questions answered I appreciate all of those who posted their personal experiences. Im coming from the cop career field and am really anxious! Anyone else scheduled to start BFE 02APR??

strangeluv8
02-29-2012, 04:31 PM
About a week or two after I went status 5, make sure to call Formal training. They had my dates before they got my rip.

Alright, thanks...I'll see what they say...

fromxtor
02-29-2012, 04:47 PM
Not too sure if it matters to anybody but ill be attending the fundamentals course 13MAR! I started silently reading this post from the beginning; So many questions answered I appreciate all of those who posted their personal experiences. Im coming from the cop career field and am really anxious! Anyone else scheduled to start BFE 02APR??

I was supposed to go in march originally but I found out 45 days prior and had them change the date so I didnt miss the birth of my son in may.

strangeluv8
03-01-2012, 01:50 AM

After talking to the right person at AFPC, I have a seat now...Aircrew Fundies 6 Apr.

Gman
03-03-2012, 04:38 AM
I have a Basic Engineer course date of 9 April. Is anyone else on this forum gona be there

prelude657
03-07-2012, 03:15 PM
I am starting the whole FE retraining process. I have my flight physical friday. Has anyone that has gone through the school house know if they have c-5 slots available? That what I am hoping to get.

40-water
03-07-2012, 08:21 PM
I am starting the whole FE retraining process. I have my flight physical friday. Has anyone that has gone through the school house know if they have c-5 slots available? That what I am hoping to get.

Hey i start fundies class on tuesday but it appears none of the "seasoned" FE's who used to post here do anymore. I have literally read about 20 posts shy of this ENTIRE thread and from the looks of it the numbers for each AC vary on a frequent basis. Slots that may be open now might not be open later. Hope this helps.

ttribe
03-07-2012, 08:30 PM
I am a retired Engineer with 4 years in the Herk and 12 in the KC10. I'm a bit out of the loop as to retraining. I retrained in 86. Flew e models at Little Rock, and Yokota, then KC10s at Barksdale, and then Mcguire when the unit moved. If you have Fe questions, I would be happy to answer from my perspective. FYI, I might have retired, but I am civ service planning missions at Scott.

Racker89
03-08-2012, 12:39 AM
Just got the news my cross training was approved but i was placed in an awaiting class seat date and won't be able to attend a class until have Apr 5th as i am in ALS until this date. Can someone tell me how they go about selecting which platform you will be flying in? I'm hoping to get the HH60 as i have flown in it before and would really like to be a FE on one. Any info would be great

Golther
03-08-2012, 01:33 AM
Just got the news my cross training was approved but i was placed in an awaiting class seat date and won't be able to attend a class until have Apr 5th as i am in ALS until this date. Can someone tell me how they go about selecting which platform you will be flying in? I'm hoping to get the HH60 as i have flown in it before and would really like to be a FE on one. Any info would be great

If I remember correctly you will pick your assignment preferences about the 4th week of BFE.

afmeekins
03-08-2012, 03:10 AM
I was just at the school house a couple of months ago and you would pick your aircraft around the first block of BFE. In addition, you only get to pick the aircraft you would like to get and not the base anymore, it changed last october. And on the aircraft that is available depends on the IQT class date for that air frame, so it's hit or miss most the time. Bc they're not going to let you wait 6 months for a class to open up.

Racker89
03-08-2012, 04:22 AM
I was just at the school house a couple of months ago and you would pick your aircraft around the first block of BFE. In addition, you only get to pick the aircraft you would like to get and not the base anymore, it changed last october. And on the aircraft that is available depends on the IQT class date for that air frame, so it's hit or miss most the time. Bc they're not going to let you wait 6 months for a class to open up.

is there anyway to look up and see what may be available or is it just gonna be all about luck

prelude657
03-08-2012, 05:08 PM
Hey i start fundies class on tuesday but it appears none of the "seasoned" FE's who used to post here do anymore. I have literally read about 20 posts shy of this ENTIRE thread and from the looks of it the numbers for each AC vary on a frequent basis. Slots that may be open now might not be open later. Hope this helps.

I appreciate the info. I really want to get C-5's at Travis. I have my flight physical tomorrow and I hope I get through it without any hang ups. What has everyone's approval time been once they have submittied their package to AFPC???? I am at McConnell AFB and I am ready to get out of here ASAP!!!!!

40-water
03-10-2012, 10:47 PM
I turned in my package Jan 31, Feb 6 i got approved and Feb 7 i got my class rips. Im a FTA and i have no clue how i turned that fast but no complaints here!! Also, i just arrived to Wackyland last night. Anyone else starting class on tuesday PM me!

ashtnn
03-11-2012, 04:48 AM
I turned in my package Jan 31, Feb 6 i got approved and Feb 7 i got my class rips. Im a FTA and i have no clue how i turned that fast but no complaints here!! Also, i just arrived to Wackyland last night. Anyone else starting class on tuesday PM me!

And the twilight zone that is AFPC continues to blow my mind. I submitted my package on the 26th of Feb, it was kicked back saying they needed my AF 2808(glad this was mentioned no where in any of the shit they sent me,) and I resubmitted on the 29th. I called the other day to check on the status and was told that per the retraining office, they need 5 business days before the end of the month to compile the package/records/etc and get it ready for the board which now is apparently on the 1st of every month.

So I missed that cut off date by a few days. Going off what you're saying, the dude had no clue what he was talking about. Either way, I should hopefully meet the board at the end of this month, or the 1st of april, when ever it actually convenes. I'm on my way out to an undisclosed location in SWA right now, so I haven't had computer access since wednesday. Hopefully I'll see some good news when I inprocess in a few days.

imported_Steveo16220
03-11-2012, 05:22 PM
is there anyway to look up and see what may be available or is it just gonna be all about luck

It is based on what slots are opened up for training. SMSgt West, functional for FE and Gunners, usually gets to talk to you before you grad, but you get a list off all the a/c and you rank them in preference order. Turn it in to your instructor who emails it off the SMSgt West. Hope and pray there is training for the a/c you want to fly on.

No more base of preference selection with a/c selection. Just update your dream sheet with the bases that have the a/c you want and hope for the best.

strangeluv8
03-14-2012, 08:28 PM
I appreciate the info. I really want to get C-5's at Travis. I have my flight physical tomorrow and I hope I get through it without any hang ups. What has everyone's approval time been once they have submittied their package to AFPC???? I am at McConnell AFB and I am ready to get out of here ASAP!!!!!

Submitted my app the last week of Jan, I was approved and had class dates the last week of Feb. As soon as you get your signed 1042 and 422 from the Med Group, get your app submitted asap and hope for a quick turnaround. Like so many on this forum have said before, there is not a standard timeframe to gain approval/class dates. Try to be as patient as possible and eventually you will be on your way to Lackland.

strangeluv8
03-14-2012, 08:30 PM
Anyone have an Aircrew Fundamentals class start date of 6 Apr? BFE 26 Apr?

CREWDAWGTOFIREDAWG
03-15-2012, 03:18 AM
After 7 long months I finally got to status 5 (Awating Class Seat). I started the process in August, it took almost 2 months for AFPC to approve my retraining request,3 months for my IFC III to come back and 2 months extra because I had to re-apply for a retraining request because they close my case due to "no activity for over 120 days"(My Med Group took too long on my Class III). After it was approved again I submitted my complete package on March 9 and just got an e-mail tonight March 14, saying my application has been updated to a status 5 and that the Class dates will be loaded shortly.

jensene
03-15-2012, 11:48 PM
I start fundies on 20 Mar and BFE on 9 Apr as well!

ashtnn
03-16-2012, 09:27 AM
Went status 3 on the 14th. Hopefully about the 5th or 6th of april I'll have some good news!

Turkey9186
03-29-2012, 04:38 PM
A year later, and my waiver finally made it to AFRC the end of last month. I don't think it took me this long to get qualified the first time!

ashtnn
04-02-2012, 09:13 PM
I went status 5 today. Called AFPC and was told I got picked up for boom operator. Not my first choice (load was) but I'm glad I'll be flying nonetheless. And with any luck, hopefully I'll be up there with Baze and crew. This thread has been a ton of help, thanks guys. And best of luck getting through the process.

strangeluv8
04-05-2012, 06:41 AM
Ah Lackland....who all is here for class starting this Friday??

ashtnn
04-06-2012, 01:42 PM
Turns out I'm going flight engineer after all. Gotta love AFPC. :lol

strangeluv8
04-06-2012, 05:42 PM
Turns out I'm going flight engineer after all. Gotta love AFPC. :lol

Nice! Did ya get class dates yet?

ashtnn
04-06-2012, 06:51 PM
Nice! Did ya get class dates yet?

Not yet. I spoke with the CEA Pipeline manager earlier today. He initially emailed me to ask about my deployed status and that's how I found out I got 1A1 instead of 1A0. We came to the conclusion that it'd be best for me to be in the Sept 4th class, because my wife is having our baby in August. That, and other things that are happening between now and then, mean I'm going to have a busy summer. Quick question for anyone that might have gone to BFE around the same time. Do the Sept classes pretty much get last picks of the FY for airframes? Or do they end up falling under the FY13 airframe quotas? I know I'd still be an FY12 student, but I wasn't sure about the pool of assignments. Seems to me that trying to get a KC-10 or C-5 around that time is going to be a crap shoot, especially as a SrA.

Max Power
04-06-2012, 06:56 PM
It will be for FY13 because you will be attending an Initial Qual class in that Fiscal Year.

ashtnn
04-06-2012, 07:02 PM
Hah, I feel like an idiot. Guess I should have thought about that part. Thanks max.

ashtnn
04-09-2012, 02:50 PM
Just spoke with the CEA pipeline manager. He's going to go ahead and load my classes today, with an aircrew fundies start date of 14 Sept. Can't wait till the time finally comes.

Airpower26
04-10-2012, 12:24 AM
Is anyone else starting fundies 8 June? Any advice??

akruse
04-10-2012, 12:31 AM
Is anyone else starting fundies 8 June? Any advice??

Show up. It will be one of the easier courses you do in your career.

bcurtis
04-11-2012, 02:09 AM
Can anyone shed some light for me on the whole staying on Kelly vs. staying on Lackland while in training. Everyone says to stay at Kelly. But will it be approved to stay on Kelly if there is billeting available on Lackland.
Thank you!

bcoco14
04-11-2012, 02:23 AM
Can anyone shed some light for me on the whole staying on Kelly vs. staying on Lackland while in training. Everyone says to stay at Kelly. But will it be approved to stay on Kelly if there is billeting available on Lackland.
Thank you!

If you stay at Lacland you get Lackland per diem, if you stay at Kelly you get full rate per diem. You don't need a non-A on Kelly because it's military billiting, so yes you will get paid for it. Kelly has no chowhall that why you get the full rate. It states that in the JFTR. Just a word to the wise though, if you stay at Kelly have a car or findsomeone who has a car. Otherwise you'll be spending your per diem on taxis to and from the school house.

Airpower26
04-11-2012, 02:27 AM
Thank you!

Yea I just called the Lackland Inn and the lady asked what I was comming for and she told me I could choose Kelly or Lackland but she suggested Kelly because the per diem rate is higher ;-)

fromxtor
04-12-2012, 03:55 PM
Anyone else start class on the 18th of May?

Airpower26
04-15-2012, 03:51 AM
Anyone else start class on the 18th of May?

I was supposed to but they decided to be genuises and send me to ALS....

prelude657
04-24-2012, 10:20 PM
I am so frustrated. I did my flight physical on the 9th of April. Its not back yet. Has anybody's physical taken the whole 60 days?

prelude657
04-24-2012, 10:24 PM
sorry 9th of March
I am so frustrated. I did my flight physical on the 9th of April. Its not back yet. Has anybody's physical taken the whole 60 days?

bcoco14
04-25-2012, 12:17 AM

I know people that have waited 3-6 months for it to come back.

imported_ANALYST
04-27-2012, 12:07 PM
Good Afternoon, what was it like to go from the DIRTY HERC to the KC-10? I have been an FE on the HERC for a little bit over a year now and just wonder how much of a change it was. I know the mission is two times different from what we do in the HERC but in your opinion, what are the pros and cons of the switch?

I am a retired Engineer with 4 years in the Herk and 12 in the KC10. I'm a bit out of the loop as to retraining. I retrained in 86. Flew e models at Little Rock, and Yokota, then KC10s at Barksdale, and then Mcguire when the unit moved. If you have Fe questions, I would be happy to answer from my perspective. FYI, I might have retired, but I am civ service planning missions at Scott.

weezy
04-28-2012, 10:12 PM
So my package goes up for review on Monday and FE is my number one. Just curious how fast everybody found out they were apporved and how fast they recieved their class dates? I am currently deployed and will be back in the States in October, if that matters.

ashtnn
05-01-2012, 03:27 AM
So my package goes up for review on Monday and FE is my number one. Just curious how fast everybody found out they were apporved and how fast they recieved their class dates? I am currently deployed and will be back in the States in October, if that matters.

For CAREERS:

The board met on a friday, and the following monday I called in the morning because I'm impatient. The guy on the phone of course had no clue what he was talking about, and said I wouldn't get the results 'til the end of the month. I went and did some other stuff for a few hours (I was deployed) and then checked vMPF probably 3 or 4 hours later. Behold, status 5! I had a bit of a mix up and was given a 1A0 slot (5 names selected, 3 slots left) and after some tweaking ended up moving to a 1A1 slot. The CEA pipeline manager (MSgt Weber) emailed me that thursday about my deployed status and asked me about my class date availability. So if you're anything like me, you'll probably hear from him this week. It's nice to actually talk over the phone with the person who controls class seats, just in case you have special circumstances like I do. That said, I still don't have my class dates loaded and this was 3ish weeks since we settled on a fundies date. He said that's mostly due in part to the fact that I'm already stationed at Lackland and it's a non-funded TDY because I won't actually be going anywhere. For what ever reason, some one at the AF level is being difficult and it's taking some effort to actually get it taken care of. Good luck man. On my selection board I think something like 15-20 FTA slots got picked up, so unless you're a complete shitbag you shouldn't have any issues.

weezy
05-02-2012, 08:31 AM
For CAREERS:

The board met on a friday, and the following monday I called in the morning because I'm impatient. The guy on the phone of course had no clue what he was talking about, and said I wouldn't get the results 'til the end of the month. I went and did some other stuff for a few hours (I was deployed) and then checked vMPF probably 3 or 4 hours later. Behold, status 5! I had a bit of a mix up and was given a 1A0 slot (5 names selected, 3 slots left) and after some tweaking ended up moving to a 1A1 slot. The CEA pipeline manager (MSgt Weber) emailed me that thursday about my deployed status and asked me about my class date availability. So if you're anything like me, you'll probably hear from him this week. It's nice to actually talk over the phone with the person who controls class seats, just in case you have special circumstances like I do. That said, I still don't have my class dates loaded and this was 3ish weeks since we settled on a fundies date. He said that's mostly due in part to the fact that I'm already stationed at Lackland and it's a non-funded TDY because I won't actually be going anywhere. For what ever reason, some one at the AF level is being difficult and it's taking some effort to actually get it taken care of. Good luck man. On my selection board I think something like 15-20 FTA slots got picked up, so unless you're a complete shitbag you shouldn't have any issues.

Hm, haven't seen it change from a status 3 to status 5 on vMPF. They would have reviewed it this past Monday. I'm impatient as well and would like to call to see if there's anything going on, but probably shouldn't and just be patient.

Golther
05-02-2012, 01:02 PM
Hm, haven't seen it change from a status 3 to status 5 on vMPF. They would have reviewed it this past Monday. I'm impatient as well and would like to call to see if there's anything going on, but probably shouldn't and just be patient.

Give it some time man it should change by Friday but I think AFPC "Official" answer is up to 3 weeks so you will leave them alone. If it doesn't change though then you didn't picked up on this board but you have 2 more boards to go through.

weezy
05-03-2012, 08:41 AM
Give it some time man it should change by Friday but I think AFPC "Official" answer is up to 3 weeks so you will leave them alone. If it doesn't change though then you didn't picked up on this board but you have 2 more boards to go through.

You're right. I think I'll wait until the third week at the earliest to call. I wish there were some personnelist people on here to get in there and see what's going on!

ScarlettGTO
05-06-2012, 03:17 AM
Hey guys, new to the thread and as much as I wanted to skim through 360 pages it just didn't seem all to practical and rather time consuming. Just looking to be pointed in the right direction by some of the people who already do the job. I'm pushing real hard this next cycle to make TSgt and with that will come the want to cross train. I am currently Security Forces and just can't do it anymore for multiple reasons.

I do have a few questions.

Do you get to select your airframe or are you selected for it? I am extremely interested in the Pave Hawk.

Typically how long is the school?

What are the ASVAB score requirements?

Thank you all in advance for the information and any other advice that is offered. It is still a ways off for me but something I keep thinking about in regards to cross training.

Thanks!

Golther
05-06-2012, 03:28 AM
Hey guys, new to the thread and as much as I wanted to skim through 360 pages it just didn't seem all to practical and rather time consuming. Just looking to be pointed in the right direction by some of the people who already do the job. I'm pushing real hard this next cycle to make TSgt and with that will come the want to cross train. I am currently Security Forces and just can't do it anymore for multiple reasons.

I do have a few questions.

Do you get to select your airframe or are you selected for it? I am extremely interested in the Pave Hawk.

Typically how long is the school?

What are the ASVAB score requirements?

Thank you all in advance for the information and any other advice that is offered. It is still a ways off for me but something I keep thinking about in regards to cross training.

Thanks!

As for the airframe selection it has changed since I went about a year and 1/2 ago.

School Length 2 Months for Fundies and Basic Flight Engineer course and 1 month for SERE. The classes after that vary in length depending on your airframe for example for C-130's it is 6 months at Little rock.

The ASVAB score I think is still General 55 but that is no indicator of how difficult the job is. The C-130 is the only airframe I have experience with as an engineer but it can be very challenging at times.

ScarlettGTO
05-06-2012, 03:40 AM
Golther -

What were some of the challenges you faced on that airframe? I'm want the Pave Hawk the most due to it's mission and the opportunity to be the gunner/hoist operator.

Also what is the deployment rate? Whether it is high or low it doesn't bother me. I enjoy going out often.

Golther
05-06-2012, 04:02 AM
Golther -

What were some of the challenges you faced on that airframe? I'm want the Pave Hawk the most due to it's mission and the opportunity to be the gunner/hoist operator.

Also what is the deployment rate? Whether it is high or low it doesn't bother me. I enjoy going out often.

One my challenges was after having and in flight emergency and having to do TOLD (Takeoff and Landing Data) while coming down to a very short runway, while making sure the pilots do not mess up. Then afterwards I had to assist the crew chief in diagnosing what was wrong and what was needed to fix it. I doesn't sound like much but I can guarantee that it was difficult.

The deployments it honestly varies from airframe to airframe and base to base actually. For example C-5 don't deploy they just go TDY drop crap off and then fly home. Some C-130 bases like Dyess or Pope have an extremely high tempo. Mine personally it all depends on the manning, because I am going to be leaving very shortly on my first Deployment after being here about a year. I hear it can be longer or shorter depending on if you want to go or not, but you will go eventually unless there is a legitimate reason why you cannot.

bcoco14
05-06-2012, 05:39 AM
Golther -

I think I may have PMd you about this a while back but I'll put it out there for others as well.

Like Golther said Fundies/BFE and SERE are 2 and 1 month respectively. I know the -60 was highly sought after in my class and tends to be a popular choice. I have heard that the selection process has changed for airframe and base to just airframe preference.

Once you get to your airframe qual the times differ from one to the other. I know CV-22's are a little over a year. C-130's are 6 months and -60's I think are around 6-9 months depending flight availability.

I'm a KC-10 guy so I will run through that aspect. I think Bigbaze is the only other KC-10 FE that's on here. You will do simulator training for about 4 months and then move on to the flight portion of the training that lasts 2-3 months, again depending on flights, how many people they have in the FTU and how well or not so well you are doing in training. Once you finish there you head over to you unit for some more training. They give you 100 days to get your mission qualification. Don't quote me because I haven't looked it up in a while and don't work in the training office, but I think if that's not it it's close to that.

Deployments- KC-10 crews deploy for 2 months at a time. Not that we don't want to deploy for longer periods. We have quarterly training requirements that can only be accomplished at home station. We deploy 2-3 times a year plus when you aren't deployed you still are doing various types of missions.

ScarlettGTO
05-06-2012, 05:59 AM
Any info on what the CV-22 mission is for the AF? The 60 is my main focus because of what I had mentioned earlier. I would go after aerial gunner but from what I have seen it isn't critical or if it is it doesn't need TSgt's. If someone knows otherwise please let me know.

Thanks again guys.

bcoco14
05-06-2012, 06:13 AM
I don't know what the -22 mission is other than it's a Spec Ops type mission. If you want to shoot guns though, that would be another route to take. They have 2 FE's and one of them takes gunner duties.

I have also been told it's one of the hardest schools to get through. I've been told even experienced FE's who crossflow still washout. I don't say that to discourage anyone, just to let you know what you might be getting yourself into.

ScarlettGTO
05-06-2012, 06:20 AM
bcoco14 -

Appreciate the info, we did talk ages ago about FE crosstrain. I do want to shoot guns and fly, hopefully aerial gunner opens up as critical and will take TSgt's but if not FE is still a route I am really interested in. I'm going to do some research into the -22 and -60. I will probably go talk to a career adviser after my PCS. The crosstrain is still a good ways away as I haven't even made TSgt yet.

Golther
05-06-2012, 01:44 PM
bcoco14 -

Appreciate the info, we did talk ages ago about FE crosstrain. I do want to shoot guns and fly, hopefully aerial gunner opens up as critical and will take TSgt's but if not FE is still a route I am really interested in. I'm going to do some research into the -22 and -60. I will probably go talk to a career adviser after my PCS. The crosstrain is still a good ways away as I haven't even made TSgt yet.

If you get gunner don't do AC-130 Gunships unless the only thing you like to do is reload the 105mm and 40mm.

weezy
05-07-2012, 11:23 PM
Just curious. If you submit a re-train pakcage and it's not complete/missing something; would they notify you or will it go through all three boards and be disapproved?

40-water
05-08-2012, 08:19 PM
Ok maybe I can help shed some light on a few questions that popped up since I havent hit here in awhile. I graduate BFE tomorrow. You only get to pick your airframe per the dream sheet..which is a dream. Needless to say two of my classmates got their 11th pick. For -60's good luck. That was my 1st choice but for only having slots open for E4's/E8s, UH1, KC10, and slick 130's until the FY...those are your options of course we all know things change. They operate on earliest available FTU class dates. The last two classes including mine gave out a CV-22 slot but that school has a 50% washout. Not to scare as mentioned above but it is a intense aircraft with an intense mission. My lineup was rotary with 60s up top and they gave me Hueys. Gunners stopped picking up AD FTA about 4 months ago. They are also creating a new AFSC. 1A9. Its basically to pull all rotory 1A1, loads and gunners into one job. AND they are opening it to Non priors. I dont agree.

Now that im Done with this first step ill try to be on here more often to answer questions on a more recent basis. This forum was gold with a ton of info. Good luck to all....Also, Im a Security Forces member as well to the individual who posted earlier so prepare to be an underdog. I caught alot of hell hahaha.

prelude657
05-09-2012, 06:31 PM
Oh damn there is no C-5 spots available? damn!!! Well KC-10 was my second choice. Im trying to get to Travis. I am still waiting on my flight physical. The med group at McConnell is amazing here (being very sarcastic). They said my flight physical would be approved on May 6th, comes to find out that they messed up on it, so it has to go back to MAJCOM to get signed off. Im hoping to get it before the board this month. I want out of here fast! Has anybody went up against the board and been picked up for training the following month?

Did anybody get orders to a C-130 base overseas???

There are only 12 slots left for ssgt as of this morning. Anybody going through tech school know if there has been alot of second term airmen in their classes???

40-water
05-09-2012, 09:09 PM
As of when we filled out our dream sheets there wasnt any word of c-5 classes till the FY. But in the AF all is subject to change. I didnt meet a board. I turned in my package Jan31 and had a class date Feb7. I was astounded to say the least; Maybe i did meet a board...Whatever idk how the nightmare at AFPC works. From all of the graduations they made us go to(as Motivation and support) I havent seen anybody get an overseas assignment right out the gate. I was hoping for Yakota myself. There was a number of second term personnel in training be it SSgt's to MSgt's. Alot of TSgt's recently too.

prelude657
05-09-2012, 10:53 PM
As of when we filled out our dream sheets there wasnt any word of c-5 classes till the FY. But in the AF all is subject to change. I didnt meet a board. I turned in my package Jan31 and had a class date Feb7. I was astounded to say the least; Maybe i did meet a board...Whatever idk how the nightmare at AFPC works. From all of the graduations they made us go to(as Motivation and support) I havent seen anybody get an overseas assignment right out the gate. I was hoping for Yakota myself. There was a number of second term personnel in training be it SSgt's to MSgt's. Alot of TSgt's recently too.

did you get a base that you wanted? did anybody pick kc-10's?

prelude657
05-09-2012, 11:23 PM

did you get a base that you wanted? did anybody pick kc-10's?

40-water
05-09-2012, 11:26 PM
Hell to the no i didnt get a base i wanted haha. Im going to the Hueys out of Malmstrom. One guy got Jstars which was his number one but his joint spouse screwed up so they gave him his number 3 which was -10's out of Mcguire

prelude657
05-10-2012, 03:22 PM
Hell to the no i didnt get a base i wanted haha. Im going to the Hueys out of Malmstrom. One guy got Jstars which was his number one but his joint spouse screwed up so they gave him his number 3 which was -10's out of Mcguire

Im tired of being in the middle of no where. I really hope that I get Travis. I talked to my boy and he said that I will almost positively get KC-10's if I put it on my sheet. I am prior maintenance on KC-10's. I just dont want to go back to Mcguire. Was he the only 10 guy in your class??

40-water
05-11-2012, 09:31 PM
Yeah he was. -10s was his 3rd choice. Was also this girl in my class' 2nd choice but they gave her the 11th choice of -130s at little rock

Hendo
05-12-2012, 05:15 AM
I submitted my retrainning package, It went status 3 the 19th of April. I never got to see status 5, on the 8th of May it went directly to status 6. First day of basic flight engineer is June. Is anyone going to class during the same time? Hit me up if so.

WingZero
05-13-2012, 04:55 PM
I am SF trying to retrain into flight engineer. Does anyone happen to have an example for the Feeder AFSC waiver? I'm confused on this process and no one around here seems to have an answer either. I'm pretty sure it's explained somewhere in this thread but there 362 pages of it, so my enlistment will probably be up before I find it in there.

Anyway, I know it has to be approved by the AFCFM but how? Do i submit my letter with the rest of my package on the AFPC site? Or does it get submitted to the MPF? AFI 36-2101 seems to be about as clear as mud.

40-water
05-14-2012, 05:20 AM
Write it in standard memorandum format. I stated in mine that i was "a 7 level in 3P0 career field and do not meet the feeder requirement blah blah.. I am requesting it be waved yada yada" Dont mean to be a a55 but i dont want to write it for you haha. Its really easy, short and to the point. Yes, i also put mine in the package with all the other documents but AFPC claimed they didnt get it and someone from the CEA section emailed me direct asking for it. If for some strange reason you just cant get the memo right or what not, PM me and ill help you from there. Hope this points you in the right direction.

Also, it took me 3 days off and on to read this entire thread. Its really easy to bypass the plethora of duplicate questions that have been answered a number of times. Let me know if you need more help.

prelude657
05-14-2012, 05:47 AM
I submitted my retrainning package, It went status 3 the 19th of April. I never got to see status 5, on the 8th of May it went directly to status 6. First day of basic flight engineer is June 8th. Is anyone going to class during the same time? Hit me up if so.

whoa!!! that is crazy!!! I was going to go on a cruise in august. It looks like if I turn mine in this month I will be in text school by then. Thats fine by me!!!!

Hendo
05-14-2012, 07:18 PM
Make sure you submit your package in before the 20th of the month, they review after that, then you should find out early that next month. I called them, they said I won't know till the 20th of May, but found out way earlier. Pretty pumped. (5th Attempt to retrain)

Hendo
05-14-2012, 10:10 PM
What airframes can you apply for when in school, and what part of school do you request? Does the airframes show bases and/or rank? What is the main airframe that has been seen as a #1 choice for people?

akruse
05-14-2012, 11:14 PM
There isn't a question that you could think of that hasn't been answered 23 times already in this great thread. Take some time and read it from start to finish. You'll learn a lot.

40-water
05-15-2012, 01:16 AM
There isn't a question that you could think of that hasn't been answered 23 times already in this great thread. Take some time and read it from start to finish. You'll learn a lot.

^Well played.^
Our class chose airframes in block 3. They dont even submit them to HQ until Block 6 and you dont get notified of your assignment until block 7 or 8. A class before mine found out as they walked the graduation line! It varies, it really does. But as Akruse said, take the time to read this thread. Hundreds of questions you may have others have had before you. Go to this school with an open mind though. I read this thread front to back and still got hit with a few surprises in the school house i thought i was prepared for. Cheers.

Hendo
05-15-2012, 04:27 PM
^Well played.^
Our class chose airframes in block 3. They dont even submit them to HQ until Block 6 and you dont get notified of your assignment until block 7 or 8. A class before mine found out as they walked the graduation line! It varies, it really does. But as Akruse said, take the time to read this thread. Hundreds of questions you may have others have had before you. Go to this school with an open mind though. I read this thread front to back and still got hit with a few surprises in the school house i thought i was prepared for. Cheers.

I have read through this entire forum. There isn't an answer to all airframes and bases at all through here. I didn't ask the question without reading through. Took me couple days to finish reading through it.

Kegler
05-15-2012, 05:53 PM
I have read through this entire forum. There isn't an answer to all airframes and bases at all through here. I didn't ask the question without reading through. Took me couple days to finish reading through it.

Try looking on AMS under enlisted authorized for the bases...or....go to the E-pubs site and look at the 1A1 CFETP (http://www.e-publishing.af.mil/shared/media/epubs/CFETP1A1X1.pdf) (which has base/rank in the table). It is a long list of bases...then you can use google or whatever to put airframes to it....and bam...you answer your own question using your own research.

nipstatus
05-15-2012, 06:39 PM
Package submit April 24. Board April 30. Call from Functional May 9. Status 5 May 14. The approval process has moved a lot faster then expected. I have a few questions. I called AFPC asking to leave after a certain date to attend school to not miss the birth of my son and my brothers wedding, which I am the Best Man. The birth and wedding are within a month of each other. She said that i can't make that request until i am given a date. Is that true or she blowing smoke, which they tend to do. Second question, What is this "TOLD" many of you have spoken of. Thanks for the help.

40-water
05-16-2012, 02:52 AM

Ok, the dream sheet you fill out has 12 airframes 1A1's fly on. You number them accordingly per your preference. They dont care what base you want; all you do is put a number by the craft you desire most and pray. Then the CFM or whoever checks to see what airframes have current open slots/class seats for the FY. Two of my classmates got their 11th choice. Yes you can see what what bases fly what but honestly besides getting stuck at Global Strike bases ("this guy") IMHO you'll be gone so frequently it wouldnt even matter hehe..

40-water
05-16-2012, 03:00 AM
Package submit April 24. Board April 30. Call from Functional May 9. Status 5 May 14. The approval process has moved a lot faster then expected. I have a few questions. I called AFPC asking to leave after a certain date to attend school to not miss the birth of my son and my brothers wedding, which I am the Best Man. The birth and wedding are within a month of each other. She said that i can't make that request until i am given a date. Is that true or she blowing smoke, which they tend to do. Second question, What is this "TOLD" many of you have spoken of. Thanks for the help.

I dont think she's blowing smoke. Status 5 means you got selected for further processing blah blah. When you go 6 you'll get class dates for BFE and sometimes SERE. Thats when you can request a change but expect another set of AFPC battles with that. "TOLD" is the engineer bread and butter among many other things. Its "Take-off and Landing Data"; Reading Performance charts and obtaining numbers for a bunch of variables for of course takeoff,landing,cruise,so on so forth. Maybe a non-rookie could chime in and give a more specific answer. I dont really want to fill your head up with stuff and you mis-interpret later down the road you know?

nipstatus
05-16-2012, 04:16 AM
I dont think she's blowing smoke. Status 5 means you got selected for further processing blah blah. When you go 6 you'll get class dates for BFE and sometimes SERE. Thats when you can request a change but expect another set of AFPC battles with that. "TOLD" is the engineer bread and butter among many other things. Its "Take-off and Landing Data"; Reading Performance charts and obtaining numbers for a bunch of variables for of course takeoff,landing,cruise,so on so forth. Maybe a non-rookie could chime in and give a more specific answer. I dont really want to fill your head up with stuff and you mis-interpret later down the road you know?

Good looking for the reply. Thanks

bcoco14
05-16-2012, 04:34 AM
Try looking on AMS under enlisted authorized for the bases...or....go to the E-pubs site and look at the 1A1 CFETP (http://www.e-publishing.af.mil/shared/media/epubs/CFETP1A1X1.pdf) (which has base/rank in the table). It is a long list of bases...then you can use google or whatever to put airframes to it....and bam...you answer your own question using your own research.

Kinda, Both the AMS system and the CFETP list bases that FE's straight out of tech school can't go to. It does have the listing of places you can go though just a lot of them you have to have prior experience.

Ok, the dream sheet you fill out has 12 airframes 1A1's fly on. You number them accordingly per your preference. They dont care what base you want; all you do is put a number by the craft you desire most and pray. Then the CFM or whoever checks to see what airframes have current open slots/class seats for the FY. Two of my classmates got their 11th choice. Yes you can see what what bases fly what but honestly besides getting stuck at Global Strike bases ("this guy") IMHO you'll be gone so frequently it wouldnt even matter hehe..

The process has changed slightly since I went through, but one of the things that hasn't is who get first crack at assignments. After you fill out your dream sheet you are stacked according to rank. Highest ranking in that class gets first crack at assignments and so on down the line. That would explain why someone in your class had an airframe ranked higher on there dream sheet and somebody who had it ranked lower ended up being the one that got the slot.

Also, timing, timing, timing. It all depends on when you get your class dates as to what kind of selection pool you will end up with. This time of year they are filling the "left overs" of what hasn't been filled for the FY. In the next few classes people will start being put into the FY13 classes and the options that are available are going to go way up.

Sometimes they will work with you as far as changing class dates. Usually this is because of deployments ect. A child's birth they would probably work with, a wedding it's going to me hit or miss. The CFM is going to be the one that has the say in moving class dates more than AFPC will.

TOLD is as you stated, except it has nothing to do with cruise, holding ect. It's just takeoff and landing, hence Take off and landing data. Also I wouldn't call it the "bread and butter" of what we do. Your "bread and butter" is going to be systems knowledge. Knowing how your systems work and how they work together is going to be a key to success. Don't get me wrong TOLD is very important but many airframes have computer programs that will run it for you. You'll still have to hand crank it from time to time for various reasons so you'll need to stay up on it. If your airframe has a e-told program I wouldn't count on being able to even use it for another year or longer.

Hama
05-16-2012, 09:09 AM
I went status 5 and status 6 on the same day, may 8th. Went status 5 in the morning, and status 6 later that day.

Because they were so close together, I'm not sure of the order things happened in, but I was already contacted by the CEA guy, accepted my retraining, turned in my extension form / training rips and am waiting to go to Aircrew fundies. I leave next month, I won't post the class date for obvious reasons. If your date is in June we're probably going to be in class together.

Coming from barksdale, so its only a 6 hour drive, definitely bringing my car and going to try and stay at Kelly. I've got some credit cards that want that sweet sweet per diem money. If anyone is in the process of putting together a package and needs help let me know, I definitely went through an ordeal getting everything squared away.

prelude657
05-16-2012, 06:09 PM
Alright now Im getting a little upset. The med group at my base has told me it will take 60 days to get my flight physical back..it has been 75 days now. no physical back yet. I was trying to make the board this month but it doesnt look like Im going to make it. This is holding me back from putting my package in. Has anybody encountered this and is there anyone I can contact to find out what is going on?

Hendo
05-16-2012, 10:35 PM

Thanks. That helped a lot, so not gonna worry about bases then. Do want to buy a house in the near future tho. :) So sounds very hard to get your choice, oh well. Will be better then where I am at now. (ellsworth afb)

Hendo
05-16-2012, 10:37 PM
I went status 5 and status 6 on the same day, may 8th. Went status 5 in the morning, and status 6 later that day.

Because they were so close together, I'm not sure of the order things happened in, but I was already contacted by the CEA guy, accepted my retraining, turned in my extension form / training rips and am waiting to go to Aircrew fundies. I leave next month, I won't post the class date for obvious reasons. If your date is in June we're probably going to be in class together.

Coming from barksdale, so its only a 6 hour drive, definitely bringing my car and going to try and stay at Kelly. I've got some credit cards that want that sweet sweet per diem money. If anyone is in the process of putting together a package and needs help let me know, I definitely went through an ordeal getting everything squared away.

Guess I'll see ya soon.

Kegler
05-17-2012, 12:12 AM
Kinda, Both the AMS system and the CFETP list bases that FE's straight out of tech school can't go to. It does have the listing of places you can go though just a lot of them you have to have prior experience.

But if you apply a little common sense and look at those with A1C and SrA slots....then you have your 98% solution.

bcoco14
05-17-2012, 01:34 AM
But if you apply a little common sense and look at those with A1C and SrA slots....then you have your 98% solution.

Yes common sense goes a long way but the CFETP and AMS can be misleading. For example Andrews and MacDill both show open for SrA but you can't go to either one of those straight out of school. Also, there are a lot more options than just the ones that list A1C's as well.

40-water
05-17-2012, 02:52 AM

The process has changed slightly since I went through, but one of the things that hasn't is who get first crack at assignments. After you fill out your dream sheet you are stacked according to rank. Highest ranking in that class gets first crack at assignments and so on down the line. That would explain why someone in your class had an airframe ranked higher on there dream sheet and somebody who had it ranked lower ended up being the one that got the slot.

Also, timing, timing, timing. It all depends on when you get your class dates as to what kind of selection pool you will end up with. This time of year they are filling the "left overs" of what hasn't been filled for the FY. In the next few classes people will start being put into the FY13 classes and the options that are available are going to go way up.

Sometimes they will work with you as far as changing class dates. Usually this is because of deployments ect. A child's birth they would probably work with, a wedding it's going to me hit or miss. The CFM is going to be the one that has the say in moving class dates more than AFPC will.

TOLD is as you stated, except it has nothing to do with cruise, holding ect. It's just takeoff and landing, hence Take off and landing data. Also I wouldn't call it the "bread and butter" of what we do. Your "bread and butter" is going to be systems knowledge. Knowing how your systems work and how they work together is going to be a key to success. Don't get me wrong TOLD is very important but many airframes have computer programs that will run it for you. You'll still have to hand crank it from time to time for various reasons so you'll need to stay up on it. If your airframe has a e-told program I wouldn't count on being able to even use it for another year or longer.

Thanks for the non-rookie response. I kinda blended all those other charts under that acronym my fault and I stand corrected. Im still trying to relax my brain and still keep fresh in those books until my FTU. I Appreciate it and im sure the others do too!

imported_Steveo16220
05-18-2012, 01:41 AM
Thanks for the non-rookie response. I kinda blended all those other charts under that acronym my fault and I stand corrected. Im still trying to relax my brain and still keep fresh in those books until my FTU. I Appreciate it and im sure the others do too!

Power available....power required.

nipstatus
05-19-2012, 03:11 AM
Got date changed to be home for my sons birth. Thanks for the help. Will be at school end of July. Anyone in that class, hit me up.

Hendo
05-21-2012, 06:05 PM
Can someone post the list of airframes that you put on your dreamsheet? All of them. Thanks.

prelude657
05-22-2012, 01:59 AM
The Medical nightmare portion is over. Flight physical came back approved!! I have already submitted my paper work to AFPC. hopefully I can squeeze into this board. Once approved, what has been the usual wait for school. I have seen a few people with 2 or 3 months.

Hendo
05-22-2012, 03:57 PM
The Medical nightmare portion is over. Flight physical came back approved!! I have already submitted my paper work to AFPC. hopefully I can squeeze into this board. Once approved, what has been the usual wait for school. I have seen a few people with 2 or 3 months.

Well if your package hasnt said it's at AFPC HQ, then you probably missed the window for this month. So you might go status 3 this next month, but you wont go status 5-6 until July. So you'll know your class dates between July 2nd-July10th. Thats the window you should find out. If you don't find out around then, expect your package to go to the next months board and repeat.

prelude657
05-22-2012, 06:21 PM
Well if your package hasnt said it's at AFPC HQ, then you probably missed the window for this month. So you might go status 3 this next month, but you wont go status 5-6 until July. So you'll know your class dates between July 2nd-July10th. Thats the window you should find out. If you don't find out around then, expect your package to go to the next months board and repeat.
I just got back from my Cheifs office. My commander got the package and he is recommending that she signs it today. im assuming that it goes to AFPC after that or to the functional. July is fine that means I would start tech school later on in the year. Im hoping to get to tech school after the fiscal year which is in September. That way I get a better chance at getting the plane I want. Is it the 3rd or 4th week of the month that the board convenes?

prelude657
05-22-2012, 06:21 PM
I just got back from my Cheifs office. My commander got the package and he is recommending that she signs it today. im assuming that it goes to AFPC after that or to the functional. July is fine that means I would start tech school later on in the year. Im hoping to get to tech school after the fiscal year which is in September. That way I get a better chance at getting the plane I want. Is it the 3rd or 4th week of the month that the board convenes?

Hendo
05-22-2012, 06:29 PM

Board will review around the 20th to the end of the month. Then you find out if your accepted between the following month around the 2nd-10th. It varies a lot. Might even take up till the 20th. When you submit to the commander then it goes up to AFPC, this is not to go to board. This is someone to review to make sure all your documents are listed in the package. Then they will send it up, when your status goes to 3. Thats when the clock starts ticking. So if you go status 3 by the 19th of that month, you should be good.

ashtnn
05-23-2012, 08:29 PM

Per AFPC around the time I was picked up in April, the retraining office needs atleast 5 days before the end of the month to do your records review. If you have your package in mid month, they will (or should) have time to do the records review and put you into status 3. Then he'll meet the board at the end of the month. That said, my package was submitted 29 Feburary and just barely missed that cut off, sat through march, and went status 5 on 5 April. As long as he's status 3 by the end of the month, and he gets picked up on the first board, he'll find out the first week of june. That is provided he gets everything in to AFPC this month. I had a few hang ups, they wanted my actual 2808 and not just my 1042. Best of luck! Anyone fundies bound in September? I start BFE 4 October.

prelude657
05-23-2012, 09:11 PM
Per AFPC around the time I was picked up in April, the retraining office needs atleast 5 days before the end of the month to do your records review. If you have your package in mid month, they will (or should) have time to do the records review and put you into status 3. Then he'll meet the board at the end of the month. That said, my package was submitted 29 Feburary and just barely missed that cut off, sat through march, and went status 5 on 5 April. As long as he's status 3 by the end of the month, and he gets picked up on the first board, he'll find out the first week of june. That is provided he gets everything in to AFPC this month. I had a few hang ups, they wanted my actual 2808 and not just my 1042. Best of luck! Anyone fundies bound in September? I start BFE 4 October.
Hell Yeah!! Hopefully I will be on this board. I still dont want to leave until after the fiscal year so I have a better chance at getting C-5's @ travis. I sent them my 1042, 422 and any other medical form they gave me. The sooner I get selected the sooner I can get my mind on leaving maintenance at McConnell. I have been telling my tdy monitor to send me tdy as much as possible to keep me away from this place. Its going to be weird having a job where you are actual air crew or working indoors in the winter.lol

bcoco14
05-23-2012, 09:39 PM
I still dont want to leave until after the fiscal year so I have a better chance at getting C-5's @ travis.

Keep thinking like that and you might just end up very disapointed.

ashtnn
05-23-2012, 10:43 PM
Keep thinking like that and you might just end up very disapointed.

In theory he'll get an FY13 IQT slot as he'd be getting an FY13 BFE class seat with them now pulling the FY13 slots.

bcoco14
05-23-2012, 11:22 PM
In theory he'll get an FY13 IQT slot as he'd be getting an FY13 BFE class seat with them now pulling the FY13 slots.

They will start filling FY13 IQT slots long before they ever get to FY13.

ashtnn
05-23-2012, 11:52 PM
They will start filling FY13 IQT slots long before they ever get to FY13.

Well aware of that. The way I read your post made it seem like you meant he might still pull an end of the year FY12 IQT slot.

bcoco14
05-24-2012, 12:04 AM
Well aware of that. The way I read your post made it seem like you meant he might still pull an end of the year FY12 IQT slot.

No I wasn't talking about a FY12 slot. More like the selection pool will be smaller at the beginning of the new FY, so if C-5s are a popular choice between now and then it might end up that at the time he goes there wont be any available. Like anything else though it's a craps shoot.

prelude657
05-24-2012, 02:04 AM
They will start filling FY13 IQT slots long before they ever get to FY13. well Im a 2nd term airmen and the fy 13 slots come out in july according to afpc

bcoco14
05-24-2012, 02:42 AM
well Im a 2nd term airmen and the fy 13 slots come out in july according to afpc

Well if you are a 2nd term airmen you won't be meeting a board then and you are applying for a FY12 slot. Anyways, that's not how the A/C are assigned though so you will most likely get a FY13 ITQ slot depending on when your class dates are.

prelude657
05-24-2012, 03:34 AM
Well if you are a 2nd term airmen you won't be meeting a board then and you are applying for a FY12 slot. Anyways, that's not how the A/C are assigned though so you will most likely get a FY13 ITQ slot depending on when your class dates are.
ok cool!!!!the last I checked there were 7 2nd terms left. I hope I get one of them.

Hendo
05-24-2012, 08:57 PM
Well, I got a FY12 slot. I HATE DTS!!!!! such a pain!!!!!! but finally all good, now to go on leave n meet whoever in class june. Retraining process is stressful....

Hama
05-26-2012, 03:01 PM
Well, I got a FY12 slot. I HATE DTS!!!!! such a pain!!!!!! but finally all good, now to go on leave n meet whoever in class june. Retraining process is stressful....

haha going to have to agree with you. Although we got FY12 slots for BFE it looks like we'll have the FY'13 slots to choose from when we graduate. Which hopefully means the entire bucket of airframes and not the leftovers (C130s and E8s) from FY12... I can't go on leave prior to going to techschool, 30% of my shop is already gone so I agreed to stay until I left. I'll see you there though.

prelude657
05-29-2012, 09:10 PM
I just talked to AFPC this morning and the lady told me that FE slots for second term airmen are first come first served. She told me that I should be hearing back from the retraining office within the next week. I hope to be a class or two behind you guys. Sucks that you can't take leave man. As soon as I get my dates I am taking 30 days off!!! I cant wait to hang up the
2A5X1!

prelude657
05-29-2012, 09:12 PM

Apparently CAREER airmen dont meet with the board. according to AFPC

FE Buckeye Pride
05-30-2012, 06:52 AM
Not sure if this has been approached here yet. Im "baby Eng" (only 1.5 years operational) up here in the new TFI C-130H2 unit in Alaska - 537 AS. It will be closing down within the next here due to the F-16 move from Eilson. So anyone with the AD dream of flying the gorgeous mountains of Alaska on their daily "SKE-VIS-VIS-VIS" routes can scratch it off their bucket list. Sorry guys.

Hendo
05-30-2012, 07:01 PM
haha going to have to agree with you. Although we got FY12 slots for BFE it looks like we'll have the FY'13 slots to choose from when we graduate. Which hopefully means the entire bucket of airframes and not the leftovers (C130s and E8s) from FY12... I can't go on leave prior to going to techschool, 30% of my shop is already gone so I agreed to stay until I left. I'll see you there though.

Thank god, I didn't want to pick from leftovers, looking at KC-10s and HH60s, either or, even C-5 will make me happy. Yeah we have over 15 outbound here, but they still let me go. 10 days of leave prior. I spent 2 days of it trying to get DTS to send me orders, it all had my last base listed, so took some work. GTC isnt working so had to get advance, so much crazyness. Will be in lackland billet. Won't bring POV there, so walking it is for me unless I can carpool with someone. Pretty excited tho, got my orders so rdy to head out there, long trip from ellsworth tho. Hopefully SERE goes good, will spend most of tech school in the books during undergraduate ect. Cya there tho.

FE Buckeye Pride
05-31-2012, 03:33 AM
Thank god, I didn't want to pick from leftovers, looking at KC-10s and HH60s, either or, even C-5 will make me happy. Yeah we have over 15 outbound here, but they still let me go. 10 days of leave prior. I spent 2 days of it trying to get DTS to send me orders, it all had my last base listed, so took some work. GTC isnt working so had to get advance, so much crazyness. Will be in lackland billet. Won't bring POV there, so walking it is for me unless I can carpool with someone. Pretty excited tho, got my orders so rdy to head out there, long trip from ellsworth tho. Hopefully SERE goes good, will spend most of tech school in the books during undergraduate ect. Cya there tho.

Careful on viewing the Herk, AWACS, or any other plane non-Gucci as "leftovers". I was the 2nd class for FY 10 and only one person didnt get the Herk because he got his last choice, HH-60s. Its not about you "deciding" on an aircraft. It is about slots to fill and guess what, Little Rock and Pope's manning numbers have went up. There are a lot of guys that are already FE's crossing over to KC-10's and the C-5 career field is actually hurting the most for MSGt's that are experienced. Manning numbers, rank, FE experience, and current location plays more into your assignment than begin X class of the current/future Fiscal Year.

Bottom line: its not going to be the free-for-all on any airframe of your desire the way you think it will be. Sorry bud; you may get lucky though.

weezy
05-31-2012, 05:56 AM
Anybody know the chances of landing a slot on the CV-22? I go to BFE in January.

FE Buckeye Pride
05-31-2012, 07:08 AM
Anybody know the chances of landing a slot on the CV-22? I go to BFE in January.

The 22, just like the 60 will always have a need for an Eng so its pretty likely you will get it if desired. However, like anything when it comes to assignment time if the Functional is needing manning at Little Rock for C-130s, Oklahoma for AWACS, or Nellis for 60's than that will take lead over your wants. Timing is absolutely everything during assignments. I lucked out BIG time and got Alaska for 130's as a first assignment as an Eng. I just happened to be in the right class, right time. If other people are PCSing to a unit or crossflowing to an aircraft you want at the time you want it, you may be SOL.

Good luck to you bubba, I dont wanna get you down but everything is a roll of the dice.

weezy
05-31-2012, 07:50 AM
The 22, just like the 60 will always have a need for an Eng so its pretty likely you will get it if desired. However, like anything when it comes to assignment time if the Functional is needing manning at Little Rock for C-130s, Oklahoma for AWACS, or Nellis for 60's than that will take lead over your wants. Timing is absolutely everything during assignments. I lucked out BIG time and got Alaska for 130's as a first assignment as an Eng. I just happened to be in the right class, right time. If other people are PCSing to a unit or crossflowing to an aircraft you want at the time you want it, you may be SOL.

Good luck to you bubba, I dont wanna get you down but everything is a roll of the dice.

Got it. I did here from a current -22 FE that when I get to BFE make it own I want the -22 and put as my first; most likely I will get it.

daddyhawkins
06-05-2012, 11:48 PM
If I am a FTA and I wasn't selected on the first board, what are my chances of getting picked up in one of the next two boards in your experience. I know there is no cookie-cutter answer, but according to precendence, what are my chances. I am a (S)Sgt with 5 1/2 years TIS, AFE AFSC, with HH-60 and extensive T&E experience. Deployed a few times in NCOIC capacity, received 4 wing level awards and a MAJCOM-level award. I am really putting all of my eggs in this F.E. basket, but I want to have reasonable expectations. If I am not selected, is the fact that I am not a 2A airman hurting me or is it just a crapshoot?

Also, if I do not get picked up, what are my chances of reenlisting in a few months and getting selected under NCORP? Thanks.

ashtnn
06-06-2012, 07:46 AM
If I am a FTA and I wasn't selected on the first board, what are my chances of getting picked up in one of the next two boards in your experience. I know there is no cookie-cutter answer, but according to precendence, what are my chances. I am a (S)Sgt with 5 1/2 years TIS, AFE AFSC, with HH-60 and extensive T&E experience. Deployed a few times in NCOIC capacity, received 4 wing level awards and a MAJCOM-level award. I am really putting all of my eggs in this F.E. basket, but I want to have reasonable expectations. If I am not selected, is the fact that I am not a 2A airman hurting me or is it just a crapshoot?

Also, if I do not get picked up, what are my chances of reenlisting in a few months and getting selected under NCORP? Thanks.

How in the hell were you not picked up on your first board? FWIW, all those awards, titles, etc mean jack shit other than their effect on your EPRs when it comes to meeting the board and getting picked up. Also, I'm a SrA with about 3.5 years TIS and I got picked up on my first board in April. I'll be headed to fundies/bfe in september. When was your first board? If it was this one last week, there's probably a real strong chance they just haven't released the selections yet. I'd call AFPC and get a definite answer. Don't know what your EPRs were, but I had two 5s when I met the board and made it easy. So unless you've got a 2 or 3 hiding in your history, you should have made it easy.

Airpower26
06-06-2012, 08:57 PM
Actually its all based off of a quota system and how many 1A1 candidates are needed for the FY. For example, if the functional needed 100 FE's for FY 13 they would select roughly 9 a month. If only 6 people applied for the first month then all 6 would be selected. I know this because I applied in toward the end of march and 3 days later I got a class date. I called AFPC and asked how I already was selected and they said because not enough people applied by the cut off date so it was automatic. Granted the functional still has to review your records and ETP letter if you do not have a feeder AFSC. I start fundies on Friday. Looking to see yall there!!

How in the hell were you not picked up on your first board? FWIW, all those awards, titles, etc mean jack shit other than their effect on your EPRs when it comes to meeting the board and getting picked up. Also, I'm a SrA with about 3.5 years TIS and I got picked up on my first board in April. I'll be headed to fundies/bfe in september. When was your first board? If it was this one last week, there's probably a real strong chance they just haven't released the selections yet. I'd call AFPC and get a definite answer. Don't know what your EPRs were, but I had two 5s when I met the board and made it easy. So unless you've got a 2 or 3 hiding in your history, you should have made it easy.

akruse
06-06-2012, 09:17 PM

It took me twelve years to finally cross over after many many attempts. I'm 2 deployments into the 60 world now and loving it. Don't ever stop trying.

adam_pope812
06-07-2012, 12:26 AM
Hey everyone it's my first time on here and I have been reading all the post from the past year and really got some good info... I have recently got picked up after 6 months of the madness of retraining . (#daddyhawkins: Keep on trying if FE is what you really want to do, it will come) I start fundies mid July, Anyone out there have any advice or insight on what the next year or so has in store for me... I have been stuck behind a desk as in the medical field for the past 6 years and can't wait to start my new career path, and becoming a FE is something i wanted to do since I joined back in 05 and finally gotten the opportunity.

daddyhawkins
06-07-2012, 12:55 AM

I submitted on 31 March and saw the April Board, but wasn't selected. I am signing my 4th firewall 5 in August.

daddyhawkins
06-07-2012, 12:57 AM
Actually its all based off of a quota system and how many 1A1 candidates are needed for the FY. For example, if the functional needed 100 FE's for FY 13 they would select roughly 9 a month. If only 6 people applied for the first month then all 6 would be selected. I know this because I applied in toward the end of march and 3 days later I got a class date. I called AFPC and asked how I already was selected and they said because not enough people applied by the cut off date so it was automatic. Granted the functional still has to review your records and ETP letter if you do not have a feeder AFSC. I start fundies on Friday. Looking to see yall there!!

I spoke with the functional on the phone about my ETP letter and work experience. He said it looked great and I had recommendations from two SMSgt F.E.s I worked with prior and a Colonel HH-60 pilot that was my former commander.

daddyhawkins
06-07-2012, 12:58 AM
It took me twelve years to finally cross over after many many attempts. I'm 2 deployments into the 60 world now and loving it. Don't ever stop trying.

I worked with a gunner and f.e. that took until they had been techs for awhile. I won't stop trying, just wanted to know if there was some other factor I wasn't considering. Like are they picking people based on their locations, projected rank, non-mx background, etc.

daddyhawkins
06-08-2012, 03:13 AM
WTF MATE!!! (25) more selected today and guess who still is status (3)!

daddyhawkins
06-08-2012, 09:52 PM
WTF MATE!!! (25) more selected today and guess who still is status (3)!

I got my 5 notification today on my day off. I might have been a little hasty last night talking to someone at afpc that didn't knpw what she was.talking about.

BENDER56
06-08-2012, 11:12 PM
Aw, what the heck -- let's make 'em 1, 2 and 3.

Hendo
06-09-2012, 04:24 AM

So that means your in class with me, O_o or in the other class.

prelude657
06-11-2012, 05:50 PM
After talking to the afpc, they have told me that ncorp candidates dont go against the board and I could only choose one job. I got approved for 1a812 but i dont want that job. I told them that I wanted FE, so Im still waiting. As of June 5 th all my documents were recieved and my application was complete. Lets see how long it takes before I get a spot at BFE (sigh). the online retraining advisory is down right now so I cant even tell if they even picked up and ssgt's

Hama
06-12-2012, 06:20 AM
I submitted on 31 March and saw the April Board, but wasn't selected. I am signing my 4th firewall 5 in August.

Maybe you are too awesome? :D.

I really don't know what to say, i was picked up on the April board - the same one you met - as a (S)Sgt with 4 years and 1 month TIS, And 3 Firewall 5s.

I shouldn't have stacked higher than you? *shrug*

edit* reading comprehension fail, I see you got picked up congrats!

Hama
06-12-2012, 06:22 AM
Hendo / Airpower we are starting together :P, We should trade numbers so we can drink on thursday night.

My reservations are already set for Kelly.

adam_pope812
06-12-2012, 11:31 PM
Anyone out there starting fundies in mid July??

Hendo
06-12-2012, 11:31 PM
Hendo / Airpower we are starting together :P, We should trade numbers so we can drink on thursday night.

My reservations are already set for Kelly.

Yeah bro, already here, by friday I'll be heading to block 2. BTW future FEs ect. I got a list of the aircraft. So here it is.
C-5, C-37, C-40, C-130, E-3, E-4, E-8, EC-130H, KC-10, MC-130E/H/P, HH60G, UH-1N, CV-22, VC-25.

bcurtis
06-13-2012, 11:26 PM
Just found out today I will be there in Mid-Jul

weezy
06-14-2012, 01:24 AM
CV-22

If you can let me know how many people get this or what are the chances of somebody getting this if you put as your number one that would be great, thanks.

adam_pope812
06-14-2012, 02:32 AM
Cool man.. Where you coming from? What career field you coming out of?

adam_pope812
06-14-2012, 02:34 AM
If you can let me know how many people get this or what are the chances of somebody getting this if you put as your number one that would be great, thanks.

Just found out today I will be there in Mid-Jul

Cool Man.. Where you coming from ? What career field you coming out of? See ya there?

nipstatus
06-14-2012, 05:07 AM
I'll be starting at the end of July. Anyone else starting with me?

Racker89
06-15-2012, 01:20 AM

ok well I'm currently in block 7 we just got our assignments 2 of us got cv-22 but we requested it as number 1 also you will need the instructor supervisor to put in a good word for you if you wish to be on the cv as it is the most difficult airframe to be on at this time. So if you hope to get on it make sure you do in good in class and are speedy when it comes to charts.

bcurtis
06-15-2012, 02:04 AM
Cool Man.. Where you coming from ? What career field you coming out of? See ya there?

Coming in from Minot and I am avionics. How about you?

bcurtis
06-15-2012, 02:12 AM
I'll be starting at the end of July. Anyone else starting with me?
I'll be there starting in midjuly

adam_pope812
06-15-2012, 04:06 AM

Coming from Andrews.. I am medical...

weezy
06-15-2012, 05:41 AM

Avionics from Minot?

I'm NDI from Minot. Leave for Fundies in January.

Airpower26
06-16-2012, 03:58 PM
Yeah bro, already here, by friday I'll be heading to block 2. BTW future FEs ect. I got a list of the aircraft. So here it is.
C-5, C-37, C-40, C-130, E-3, E-4, E-8, EC-130H, KC-10, MC-130E/H/P, HH60G, UH-1N, CV-22, VC-25.

Strait from page one. I think ima go for c-130 or E 3,4,8

bcurtis
06-16-2012, 07:20 PM
Coming from Andrews.. I am medical...

Cool we should get together down there... Email me I'm on global Bryan Curtis (I'm the only at minot)

bcurtis
06-16-2012, 07:21 PM
Avionics from Minot?

I'm NDI from Minot. Leave for Fundies in January.

Funny how many people from Minot alone are cross training into fe!! Good luck down there man!!

BigBaze
06-17-2012, 01:59 AM

Congrats on getting selected. Not to burst your bubble but unless things have changed, C-37, VC-25 and E-4 are not available out of tech school and the C-40 does not have an FE. I would not recommend E3 or E8. G4's and G5's are done by a hiring process, you actually have to go up to Andrews and interview with them if you are trying for the 89th., we just had a couple guys get hired by them. The E4 is similar, and I can only imagine what Air Force One is like, we have had a couple guys trying to get there for a few years.

adam_pope812
06-17-2012, 06:58 PM
Cool we should get together down there... Email me I'm on global Bryan Curtis (I'm the only at minot)

Sounds good....

Airpower26
06-17-2012, 07:32 PM
So anyone who has recently been through BFE, at what week/block do we fill out our dream sheet? What is the most recieved aircraft?

FE Buckeye Pride
06-18-2012, 12:19 AM
So anyone who has recently been through BFE, at what week/block do we fill out our dream sheet? What is the most recieved aircraft?

Went through less than 2 years ago. You will fill out your dream sheet in the first two weeks. If and/or when passing Block 5, which is the TOLD block you will find out your assignment.

Most recieved aircraft are C-130s, HH-60s, and CV-22s. These are the most critically manned and needed for young pup engineers. The KC-10 and C-5 are always taking guys from other platforms rather than schoolhouse.

bcurtis
06-18-2012, 12:28 AM

i know a few guys down there now and they have been finding out around block 7 what their assignment is.

bcurtis
06-18-2012, 12:30 AM
Why would you not recommend E3 or E8. I am just asking bc i am getting ready to head down there and I know my assignment is about what I want, Just want to make sure i prioritize properly...Thanks!

Congrats on getting selected. Not to burst your bubble but unless things have changed, C-37, VC-25 and E-4 are not available out of tech school and the C-40 does not have an FE. I would not recommend E3 or E8. G4's and G5's are done by a hiring process, you actually have to go up to Andrews and interview with them if you are trying for the 89th., we just had a couple guys get hired by them. The E4 is similar, and I can only imagine what Air Force One is like, we have had a couple guys trying to get there for a few years.

Airpower26
06-18-2012, 12:42 AM
Went through less than 2 years ago. You will fill out your dream sheet in the first two weeks. If and/or when passing Block 5, which is the TOLD block you will find out your assignment.

Most recieved aircraft are C-130s, HH-60s, and CV-22s. These are the most critically manned and needed for young pup engineers. The KC-10 and C-5 are always taking guys from other platforms rather than schoolhouse.

Thanks for the info. I had heard before that everyone wants the choppers but few people get them. I am not to keen on the helios but would rather have the 130 platform or E-3/8. I wonder if you can go to a spec ops unit 130 outta tech school.

FE Buckeye Pride
06-18-2012, 09:08 AM
Thanks for the info. I had heard before that everyone wants the choppers but few people get them. I am not to keen on the helios but would rather have the 130 platform or E-3/8. I wonder if you can go to a spec ops unit 130 outta tech school.

Spec Ops outta tech school for the 130s wont happen bud. The Herc's usually require at least 500 hours in a slick Herc (C-130H2, H1, H3). From there you send in an application and get an interview. I know this because the new C130 Herc unit here in Alaska is getting restructured and a couple guys were looking at Spec Ops. Its complicated enough to understand the Herc let alone 4-5 additional months in Kirtland to grasp other mods of it.

The best Spec Ops you can hope for outta Tech School are HH60s or CV22s. Noone wanted Helo's in my class, we all wanted fixed wing - Hercs, Galaxy's or Gucci's (KC-10s). You couldnt pay me enough to be on that POS CV-22 until work out all the issues and crashings.

I wouldnt recommend E-3s or E-8s either. Both are very limited on their bases (2 bases each, 1 right out of BFE). You dont have many options and the aircraft mission isnt an extremely exciting one unless you are wanting high level circles - not bagging just honesty.

If you want to get your G.I. Joe on and go rotary wing, go for it but know your life will be spent away from home more so than on the fixed wing side.

Hendo
06-19-2012, 04:33 AM

Just listing the aircraft showing out of the book. So people know their options.

daddyhawkins
06-19-2012, 04:47 AM
I was in Langley for a week, but as I stated a few days ago, I did get picked up thru some channeling. I start Fundies July 27th. Shooting for -60s and a follow on to Moody.

dub13
06-20-2012, 06:14 PM
Why would you not recommend E3 or E8.

Because the plane can fit up to 40 people. You will have 4 flight deckers including yourself and up to 36 "rear-enders." Whenever you go somewhere its a shit show and always a pain in the ass. I have 4 years experience with that. BEst time I have is doing P-sorties because the backenders are off the jet and it's just the flight crew and a comm guy beating up the pattern here at TInker or some other base.

Hendo
06-23-2012, 03:26 AM
Just to squash some rumors, aircraft selection is not done by rank or scores. It is just where they need you, they try to work with your dreamsheet but it's not really up to you at all.

akruse
06-23-2012, 05:13 PM
Just to squash some rumors, aircraft selection is not done by rank or scores. It is just where they need you, they try to work with your dreamsheet but it's not really up to you at all.

Unless its changed, ranking member of class gets first shot at what it available. Also, gunners and FEs at least in the rotary world will very shortly all be 1A9's.

akruse
06-23-2012, 05:30 PM

Unless its changed, ranking member of class gets first shot at what it available. Also, gunners and FEs at least in the rotary world will very shortly all be 1A9's.

weezy
06-23-2012, 09:19 PM

I wonder how that will for us going into the 1A1 field after the merger date. Will we intially go in as 1A1's and depending on the airframe we will stay 1A1 or go into the 1A9 field?

FE Buckeye Pride
06-25-2012, 02:00 AM

The Air Force has been saying this for the last 5 years. They said that there will be a merge between Flight Attendants and Loadmasters, as well as FE's and Gunners. IMO, you wont see this until there isnt an FE on all fixed wing aircraft.

To merge FEs with Gunner's would be a giant mess because you run into an issue if that "1A9" goes to gunships - what will they then become? a Gunner, an FE? There is a major reason that a FE can shoot a gun but a Gunner can NOT sit FE - Eng's are knowledge experts on every system of the aircraft. Also, can you image the paperwork mess along with FE's going from Rotary Wing to Fixed Wing and vice-versa?

Sorry bud, but "1A9" for only rotary world is a pipe dream. You arent going to change a few FE's that are on rotary against the mass that are still on fixed.

akruse
06-25-2012, 12:36 PM
The Air Force has been saying this for the last 5 years. They said that there will be a merge between Flight Attendants and Loadmasters, as well as FE's and Gunners. IMO, you wont see this until there isnt an FE on all fixed wing aircraft.

To merge FEs with Gunner's would be a giant mess because you run into an issue if that "1A9" goes to gunships - what will they then become? a Gunner, an FE? There is a major reason that a FE can shoot a gun but a Gunner can NOT sit FE - Eng's are knowledge experts on every system of the aircraft. Also, can you image the paperwork mess along with FE's going from Rotary Wing to Fixed Wing and vice-versa?

Sorry bud, but "1A9" for only rotary world is a pipe dream. You arent going to change a few FE's that are on rotary against the mass that are still on fixed.

It's happening 1 Nov. Done deal. We are already sending a couple of our gunners back through Kirtland for academics. Obviously everything isn't going to change over night but its started. 1 November, gunners and fe's on rotary wing will be 1A9. Hopefully there are big brains at work here but I'm not seeing a seemless integration.

BigBaze
06-25-2012, 03:21 PM
It's happening 1 Nov. Done deal. We are already sending a couple of our gunners back through Kirtland for academics. Obviously everything isn't going to change over night but its started. 1 November, gunners and fe's on rotary wing will be 1A9. Hopefully there are big brains at work here but I'm not seeing a seemless integration.

Yep, the functional was down here a few weeks back and said that is happening.

weezy
06-25-2012, 07:38 PM
So what about those of us scheduled for 1A1 classes, but would like to be on rotary-wing aircraft (i.e. 1A9)?

akruse
06-25-2012, 09:32 PM
So what about those of us scheduled for 1A1 classes, but would like to be on rotary-wing aircraft (i.e. 1A9)?

No idea. Nothing is coming about fast.

FE Buckeye Pride
06-26-2012, 03:56 AM

This is one of the dumbest ideas the Air Force could make with the FE and Gunner fields. Too many questions that need to be answered:

- If you and the gunner are both 1A9's, then how do you on paper decipher which is what? Thats what an AFSC is for.

- If you share the AFSC do we have to send the Gunners through Engineer schools?

- Do they share the same job? If so are the Gunners held responsible for system knowledge now?

- What if a Gunner on a rotary wing with an AFSC of 1A9 goes to Gunships? Do they stay the same AFSC or switch?

- As a Herc guy, if I go to rotary wing and then come back does my history look like: 1A1, 1A9, 1A1? This is gonna make testing confusing for a long time, and is just gonna add to more useless crap we are responsible for....

1A9 = DUMB IDEA.

akruse
06-26-2012, 10:39 AM
This is one of the dumbest ideas the Air Force could make with the FE and Gunner fields. Too many questions that need to be answered:

- If you and the gunner are both 1A9's, then how do you on paper decipher which is what? Thats what an AFSC is for.

You don't, we're the same in the future.

- If you share the AFSC do we have to send the Gunners through Engineer schools?

They are. Test class started a month ago.

- Do they share the same job? If so are the Gunners held responsible for system knowledge now?

They will be

- What if a Gunner on a rotary wing with an AFSC of 1A9 goes to Gunships? Do they stay the same AFSC or switch?

AFSOC is leaning towards a catch all AFSC for their back enders. More to come.

- As a Herc guy, if I go to rotary wing and then come back does my history look like: 1A1, 1A9, 1A1? This is gonna make testing confusing for a long time, and is just gonna add to more useless crap we are responsible for....

Don't know that one.

1A9 = DUMB IDEA.

I provided the answers I could from the briefings we have been given so far. It's going to be interesting.

Hendo
06-28-2012, 12:31 AM
Hopefully I get to rotary so I can stay 1A9, lol.... will find out airframe roughly 3-4 blocks :D

smith7173
06-28-2012, 02:17 AM
i know i have nothing to do with this thread but i need help with a question i have, is per deim something i will get daily or monthly? i am going to san fransico and the website says it is 155 per deim and i don't know if that is what i will receive for being there per day or month.

ske4za
06-28-2012, 04:01 AM
If for whatever reason you are getting full per diem in San Francisco, then it's $155 a day, and you will get it when you file your travel voucher.

And I was jealous of people getting $125 a day in Bahrain. :shocked

prelude657
06-28-2012, 04:36 AM
Does anybody know what awaiting determination on the afpc site about your retraining status mean???

bcurtis
06-28-2012, 01:33 PM
Does anybody know what awaiting determination on the afpc site about your retraining status mean???

3- Package is under review
4- denied
5- selected awaiting class date
6- selected class dates loaded

Good Luck!

prelude657
06-29-2012, 03:59 PM
3- Package is under review
4- denied
5- selected awaiting class date
6- selected class dates loaded

Good Luck!

Ok Im being very impatient. There are 2 slots left for ssgt but I know the fiscal year quota is coming out soon. Does anybody have a concrete date?

prelude657
07-05-2012, 08:24 PM
Has anybody got any good new aka status 5 or 6's lately?

adam_pope812
07-05-2012, 11:32 PM
I just got picked up about a month ago and my stuff sat in the "awaiting determination" for about 3 weeks. Also that is when AFPC notified me that I was missing somethings and when I received a call from the CEA recruiter. So hang in there you should here some new in a few weeks.

prelude657
07-06-2012, 04:16 AM
I just got picked up about a month ago and my stuff sat in the "awaiting determination" for about 3 weeks. Also that is when AFPC notified me that I was missing somethings and when I received a call from the CEA recruiter. So hang in there you should here some new in a few weeks.
thanks for the advise. Did the CEA call you on your personal phone or at the job?

weezy
07-09-2012, 02:38 AM
Some updates on the 1A9 thing. Apperently they are going to try and make it so 1A9's go through Ft. Rucker for a introductory course for rotary-wing airframes after BFE and then on too IQT.

Dman
07-09-2012, 03:06 PM
Hey everyone!

Just got a 6 on my retraining last week for FE. It's pretty sweet. I got 2 questions. First, I'm wondering if anyone knows of any FE's assigned to McChord currently. It's not on the CFETP as an assignment option but they have one of the biggest flight lines in the states for the AF. My wife and I would really like to go to Washington. More so Seattle than Spokane. I know there used to FE's there but the aircraft they were on was retired. I'm guessing it's not an option for FE's right now but I just wanted to get some more insight from people.

Second, I am going into the FE world and I am not from one of the feeder AFSC's. I'm actually going to be coming out Security Forces I'm wondering if anyone has any advice on what someone would need to be more familiar with to be successful in this tech school. I've already got the motivation and interest. Thanks for any help.

ashtnn
07-10-2012, 08:44 AM
Hey everyone!

Just got a 6 on my retraining last week for FE. It's pretty sweet. I got 2 questions. First, I'm wondering if anyone knows of any FE's assigned to McChord currently. It's not on the CFETP as an assignment option but they have one of the biggest flight lines in the states for the AF. My wife and I would really like to go to Washington. More so Seattle than Spokane. I know there used to FE's there but the aircraft they were on was retired. I'm guessing it's not an option for FE's right now but I just wanted to get some more insight from people.

Second, I am going into the FE world and I am not from one of the feeder AFSC's. I'm actually going to be coming out Security Forces I'm wondering if anyone has any advice on what someone would need to be more familiar with to be successful in this tech school. I've already got the motivation and interest. Thanks for any help.

Congrats man. When are your class dates? And I'm 99.99% sure that McChord doesn't have FEs. Don't know if there's some super secret billet there for like 1 guy but C-17s don't have an FE. That said, you could still try to get on the Hueys out of Fairchild. It's Spokanistan but it's still Washington. The advice part you'll have to get from the rest of the guys'. I know of a plenty FE retrainees that are not prior-mx and doing just great. I'm a vehicle operator right now but I can't wait to be up on the flight deck instead of driving a damn crew bus. As with almost everything, attitude is key. You'll get out what you put in. Don't know if you'll be down here when I go through (stationed at Lackland already) but either way, best of luck.

Hendo
07-10-2012, 12:45 PM
Hey everyone!

All you have to do is study. Look into aircraft and helicopters and how they work. Also look into electronics, and how aircraft are powered, ect. Study is key, you will not graduate if you do not study, promise that. The FE instructors will be able to advise you on the bases and airframes when you finish fundies. Goodluck.

prelude657
07-10-2012, 10:06 PM
Status 5 today! I had to call up AFPC and harass some people but we got it done. I got the last SSgt spot until the new FY13 list comes out. Thank you all for the good info. I don't get my status 6 til next week. How many months have people been waiting for tech school? I want to take leave but I want to make sure I have time to do it.

bcurtis
07-11-2012, 01:54 AM
Status 5 today! I had to call up AFPC and harass some people but we got it done. I got the last SSgt spot until the new FY13 list comes out. Thank you all for the good info. I don't get my status 6 til next week. How many months have people been waiting for tech school? I want to take leave but I want to make sure I have time to do it.

Once you get approved most of the class dates i have seen have been pretty quick about 1 month to 6 weeks outs (or less) i have had about 10 people from my squadron go through the school this year

bcurtis
07-11-2012, 02:01 AM
Hey everyone!

I am a maintainer, people have told me people coming from non mx backgrounds do better than maintainers. the stuff we know is different than what the FEs do in regards to aircraft tolerances etc, and so that can be confusing, where someone w/o ms background doesnt know any different than what they are being taught so they dont get those percentages confused.

ashtnn
07-11-2012, 03:09 AM

My situation is a little different, but I'll have about 5 months between my Status 5/6 timeframe and when I actually start fundies. Fundies starts 14 September, but when I spoke to the CEA pipeline manager about class dates, I could have gone probably 1-2 months out if I wanted.

prelude657
07-11-2012, 04:21 AM
My situation is a little different, but I'll have about 5 months between my Status 5/6 timeframe and when I actually start fundies. Fundies starts 14 September, but when I spoke to the CEA pipeline manager about class dates, I could have gone probably 1-2 months out if I wanted.

Well Im hoping to start around mid september so I can take leave for about a month. I have a cruise coming up and I dont want to miss it. So they let you pick or do the automatically pick a date for you?

ashtnn
07-11-2012, 06:49 AM
Well Im hoping to start around mid september so I can take leave for about a month. I have a cruise coming up and I dont want to miss it. So they let you pick or do the automatically pick a date for you?

I think most of the time you're just slotted automatically when they have something available. The pipeline manager emailed me about my deployed status and I had mentioned a personal issue to him and that's why we ended up pushing mine out so far. It's definitely case by case. That said, if you just went status 5 you'll have an FY13 class date. So you won't go to fundies/BFE until October at the earliest, but probably later. Guess you just have to wait and see.

Hama
07-12-2012, 02:26 AM
Anyways, testing out of block 1 of BFE tomorrow, studied more for this 4 day block than I did some 400 level college classes... lol, better not fail me ;P

ashtnn
07-12-2012, 02:36 AM
Anyways, testing out of block 1 of BFE tomorrow, studied more for this 4 day block than I did some 400 level college classes... lol, better not fail me ;P

Good luck brother. How's class so far?

prelude657
07-12-2012, 11:14 PM
I think most of the time you're just slotted automatically when they have something available. The pipeline manager emailed me about my deployed status and I had mentioned a personal issue to him and that's why we ended up pushing mine out so far. It's definitely case by case. That said, if you just went status 5 you'll have an FY13 class date. So you won't go to fundies/BFE until October at the earliest, but probably later. Guess you just have to wait and see.

Im a 2nd termer so I got a fy12 slot. I might be getting a class really soon from what I was told. FY13 hasn't come out yet. It should be out by the end of today or tomorrow. Spread the word to all the crew cheifs who want to put down the tools and pick up a flight suit. lol

ashtnn
07-13-2012, 05:26 AM
Im a 2nd termer so I got a fy12 slot. I might be getting a class really soon from what I was told. FY13 hasn't come out yet. It should be out by the end of today or tomorrow. Spread the word to all the crew cheifs who want to put down the tools and pick up a flight suit. lol

Oh alright. Well hopefully you get a slot soon. Keep us posted. Depending on how far out it is, you and I may even be in the same class. Or close at least.

prelude657
07-13-2012, 04:44 PM
Oh alright. Well hopefully you get a slot soon. Keep us posted. Depending on how far out it is, you and I may even be in the same class. Or close at least.

I hope so. I think my squadron is fucking with me now. I told them that i got approved for cross training and that i would be leaving soon. I got an email this morning saying that I was moved to mids starting moday. WTF. I'm hoping that i get the september 15th date. If so I am going to work till august 15th then take 30 days of leave. lol

nipstatus
07-16-2012, 06:16 AM
I am leaving for school soon. I just want to make sure i bring the mandatory things. I have read the paperwork sent to me multiple time. Can someone tell the things i need to bring with me to make sure i didnt miss anything. Thanks.

prelude657
07-17-2012, 02:39 AM
I am leaving for school soon. I just want to make sure i bring the mandatory things. I have read the paperwork sent to me multiple time. Can someone tell the things i need to bring with me to make sure i didnt miss anything. Thanks.

Yo nipstatus! congrats on starting school soon. If you don't mind me asking What was your original school date. I think I read that you had it pushed back.

nipstatus
07-17-2012, 05:19 AM
Yo nipstatus! congrats on starting school soon. If you don't mind me asking What was your original school date. I think I read that you had it pushed back.

It did get pushed back. I want to say the original date was end of June.

prelude657
07-17-2012, 05:47 AM
It did get pushed back. I want to say the original date was end of June. was it your choice?

nipstatus
07-17-2012, 06:52 AM
was it your choice?

yes. it was changed due too a baby birth.

prelude657
07-18-2012, 02:54 AM
yes. it was changed due too a baby birth. I hope they give me a date that is less than a month away.
Well I was hoping to stay here till mid september, but the 22d AMXS @ Mcconnell is driving me crazy. I need to leave here ASAP. Im so glad there are no FE's here. I picked FE so I would never have to step foot in the state of Kansas ever again!!!

prelude657
07-19-2012, 06:05 AM
Good news......Status 6 today!!!! Bad news ...... I don't leave until the very beginning of November. Is there anybody else getting there around that time??

Hendo
07-19-2012, 12:13 PM
Awesome your heading out the door. make sure you get your SERE briefing from your flight medicine peeps. Form 600 or something like that, a lot of guys didn't have it when I got here for training. You HAVE to have it before SERE. Have lots of 1042s, and keep everything on you, paperwork wise. When you get here, study, study, like over 4 hours daily, including weekends, you don't want to fail at all in fundies or anything. It just gets harder with each block. 3, 4, 5 are the ruff ones.

Hama
07-19-2012, 10:19 PM
Awesome your heading out the door. make sure you get your SERE briefing from your flight medicine peeps. Form 600 or something like that, a lot of guys didn't have it when I got here for training. You HAVE to have it before SERE. Have lots of 1042s, and keep everything on you, paperwork wise. When you get here, study, study, like over 4 hours daily, including weekends, you don't want to fail at all in fundies or anything. It just gets harder with each block. 3, 4, 5 are the ruff ones.

SF600! hah. I don't have mine, i emailed the functional see what he wants to do about my SERE date.