PDA

View Full Version : Flight Engineer retraining

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17

theowl
05-16-2011, 03:10 AM
I don't know if you can post links on here (I'll try this), but I'd like to say I've searched pretty thorough for FE vids - and this is one I just found today - way cool (even though it's Navy) and probably the best I've seen. Maybe they're flying around like that probably searching for a carrier to land on ;-) - killer when they go weightless - assuming those are like assault takeoffs/landings?

So, any of you guys further along - are the crew procedures/talking pretty similar to AF? I can't wait to get in and do this - was a GCS troop at Peterson before, so never got to see ops in the cockpit during flight.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9h_pD9wC_k&feature=related

YaKkO
05-16-2011, 03:11 AM
Umm, just so I can get this straight...

Have you talked to the Gateway Inn and have they also told you that there is no avail before you stay off base man?

Many a dudes have thought they were smarting the system and got screwed in this little lodging game that BFE'ers love to play so I just don't wanna see you get effed?

theowl
05-16-2011, 03:12 AM
Thanks - Turkey! Anyone on the board in the Guard unit in Ft. Worth? I did get the number to a Chief there and will try him.

akruse
05-16-2011, 03:18 AM
Umm, just so I can get this straight...

Have you talked to the Gateway Inn and have they also told you that there is no avail before you stay off base man?

Many a dudes have thought they were smarting the system and got screwed in this little lodging game that BFE'ers love to play so I just don't wanna see you get effed?

Who got screwed? If Kelly gives him a non-a slip, he's good to go off base. Don't dissuade others from a better deal just because you didn't take advantage of it.

sbuxlandry
05-16-2011, 04:19 AM
Yep- Called Gateway and Kelly- All rooms booked- I called the hotel where we are all booked, and shouldn't be more than 30 minutes to work if we take military prkwy. Also, other than the medical records, 1042, retainability forms( 1411), and good uniforms- is there anything else I am forgetting to bring?

synth8840
05-16-2011, 04:42 AM
I am bringing every document I can think of, also your 422, your game face, and maybe 10 copies of your orders.

YaKkO
05-16-2011, 10:30 PM
Who got screwed? If Kelly gives him a non-a slip, he's good to go off base. Don't dissuade others from a better deal just because you didn't take advantage of it.

I'm more referring to the Kelly Inn crazies that are all over this thread worrying about Per-Diem before they even get to Fundies let alone get through the course.

I guess I shoulda clarified that in the part that talked about getting screwed.

What I was asking about is if he got the Non-A from the Gateway also, because depending on how smart his home station finance office is and if they know about Lackland then they would know that he could have checked with the Gateway.

Just lookin out.

YaKkO
05-16-2011, 10:32 PM
I don't know if you can post links on here (I'll try this), but I'd like to say I've searched pretty thorough for FE vids - and this is one I just found today - way cool (even though it's Navy) and probably the best I've seen. Maybe they're flying around like that probably searching for a carrier to land on ;-) - killer when they go weightless - assuming those are like assault takeoffs/landings?

So, any of you guys further along - are the crew procedures/talking pretty similar to AF? I can't wait to get in and do this - was a GCS troop at Peterson before, so never got to see ops in the cockpit during flight.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9h_pD9wC_k&feature=related

There are a couple of similar calls but IMO it's hard to relate the worlds because it's an Airshow performance man.

Way different than my AWACS world lol.

Golther
05-16-2011, 10:50 PM
Some of the calls are similar but I think that the eng need to shut up some in the cockpit. There'd is a difference on keeping your crew informed and talking too much and distracting the pilots. I don't even think I heard a single radio call because the eng was talking way too much.

Turkey9186
05-17-2011, 01:47 AM
The only time the FE was talking was when the copilot was looking out the window at about the three minute mark, and then was making airspeed and altitude calls. The copilot was making the constant calls so the pilot did not have to keep looking inside. A good FE would have been cross checking both sets of instruments.
The only time I heard that much conversation that close to the ground was doing a flyby away from an airfield and landing at McMurdo field after a flap failure.
Realistic, not for the strat. airlift world...

Golther
05-17-2011, 04:52 PM
The only time the FE was talking was when the copilot was looking out the window at about the three minute mark, and then was making airspeed and altitude calls. The copilot was making the constant calls so the pilot did not have to keep looking inside. A good FE would have been cross checking both sets of instruments.
The only time I heard that much conversation that close to the ground was doing a flyby away from an airfield and landing at McMurdo field after a flap failure.
Realistic, not for the strat. airlift world...

I may be mistaken on who was talking then. Although I think calling out a slight climb is pointless and unnecessary.

LHEATHAIS
05-17-2011, 06:50 PM
Finally status 5! Just waiting for my assignment to get canceled.

LamJam
05-17-2011, 09:39 PM
I think calling out a slight climb is pointless and unnecessary.

It's Fat Albert. They're either in or practicing for an airshow. I'm guessing the trend calls are so they don't look like shit in a turn or otherwise.

budman802g
05-19-2011, 07:45 PM
Talked to the Total Force Service Center and the dude said that Air Staff gave them the authority to approve the ETP letters that refer to leaving a balanced career field. This is supposed to reduce the wait from 5 months to 2 months which is where I am at. Wait Wait Wait!

LHEATHAIS
05-20-2011, 12:09 PM
Talked to the Total Force Service Center and the dude said that Air Staff gave them the authority to approve the ETP letters that refer to leaving a balanced career field. This is supposed to reduce the wait from 5 months to 2 months which is where I am at. Wait Wait Wait!

I went status '3' on 11 Feb, status '5' 17 May, status '6' 18 May. TSgt w/ETP for balanced career field. The issue you might run into is all applications are supposed to be approved/denied by 1 July. That is when FY11 retraining window closes. FY12 will be released late July/early August.

LHEATHAIS
05-20-2011, 12:15 PM
Anyone starting Aircrew Fundamentals Course on 9 Sep?

budman802g
05-20-2011, 01:32 PM
I went status '3' on 11 Feb, status '5' 17 May, status '6' 18 May. TSgt w/ETP for balanced career field. The issue you might run into is all applications are supposed to be approved/denied by 1 July. That is when FY11 retraining window closes. FY12 will be released late July/early August.

Well after I posted this I had another conversation with the TFSC dude about my package. Some minor corrections and I finally hit status 3 yesterday afternoon. He was telling me about the new NCORP list coming out on July 1 so they are going to work on clearing the backlog of retraining applications they have now so I'm good to go and should find out in a couple weeks. The TSgt quotas are now showing 27, which was at 32 when I first started this process back in November so it's sounding good.

Big Sal
05-22-2011, 02:14 AM
Anyone going to fundies in July? If so hit me up, thats when I go.

Turkey9186
05-22-2011, 03:39 AM
Anyone starting Aircrew Fundamentals Course on 9 Sep?
I doubt they will have all the paperwork done by then, but it would be funny to go back to Lackland on the same day I started basic many years ago.

YaKkO
05-23-2011, 01:57 AM
I doubt they will have all the paperwork done by then, but it would be funny to go back to Lackland on the same day I started basic many years ago.

Whats even more funny is that all the buildings are the exact same! Nothing ever changes....

It almost sent shivers down my spine when I came through the gate that the first time when I went to BFE haha

Turkey9186
05-23-2011, 02:01 AM
Yakko, it was four presidents ago for me. Five if you count my DEP time. lol

YaKkO
05-23-2011, 03:04 AM
Yakko, it was four presidents ago for me. Five if you count my DEP time. lol

Holy crap.

FE Buckeye Pride
05-24-2011, 04:54 AM
Yep- Called Gateway and Kelly- All rooms booked- I called the hotel where we are all booked, and shouldn't be more than 30 minutes to work if we take military prkwy. Also, other than the medical records, 1042, retainability forms( 1411), and good uniforms- is there anything else I am forgetting to bring?

Honestly you can do it when you get to San Antone, but be sure to pick up plenty of pencils, pens, steno-paper, high-lighters, and about 1,000 flash cards! Honestly, flash cards will be your saving grace. They work wonders for all the info being shoved your way.

Be sure to bring all your ribbons - you are required to wear them in Fundies with all the newbies.

YaKkO
05-27-2011, 04:20 AM
For all you Nubs that want the HH-60, take a look at this and start salivating now!

http://www.killingmadison.net/66%20RQS%20v3.mp4

YaKkO
05-27-2011, 04:21 AM
So hows everyone doing? Been a lack of posts the past few days?

Questions?

budman802g
05-31-2011, 01:08 PM
Been status 3 since 19 May. Nothing but waiting as usual! They're supposed to be clearing out their backlog of applications so they have a clean slate for the NCORP coming out in July so hopefully I find out soon. Been watching the quotas in the advisory drop as well so it gets a little frustrating.

LHEATHAIS
06-02-2011, 06:20 PM
Anyone retrain from overseas? I start school in September and have no assignment yet. Can anyone tell me how long it takes to get an assignment?

akruse
06-02-2011, 07:10 PM
Anyone retrain from overseas? I start school in September and have no assignment yet. Can anyone tell me how long it takes to get an assignment?

Get with AFPC. You should have one by a couple months out at least. I got mine within a couple of weeks of approval but another buddy who also came from Lakenheath didn't get one for a long while.

Mlanham9
06-06-2011, 02:12 PM
I finished BFE and filed my final Voucher and my finance here at lovely LRAFB are telling me that i need a NON-A for staying at Kelly This is from March and i still owe 950$. They had no problem paying out the accrual but the final voucher they are losing their minds. Anyone have the same problem?

Golther
06-06-2011, 02:17 PM
Yo don't need a Non-A but what you do need is the sheet of paper from Kelly that says that there isn't a chow hall, and that is what will get you paid properly. For me it took nearly a year before I was paid properly, because I found the one finance guy who knew his job, nearly a year later.

Mlanham9
06-06-2011, 02:23 PM
i did load that paper onto e-finance called kelly and they told my finance people to call them to get it straight. Its seems like a small issue and somehow they have turned it into a problem. I gotta pay the total out of pocket because someone dont know their job. For crying out loud they have a limited amount of tasks to do in a day because over half their job we do online now!

Golther
06-06-2011, 03:45 PM
i did load that paper onto e-finance called kelly and they told my finance people to call them to get it straight. Its seems like a small issue and somehow they have turned it into a problem. I gotta pay the total out of pocket because someone dont know their job. For crying out loud they have a limited amount of tasks to do in a day because over half their job we do online now!

Find a A1C or a SrA because they tend to know more of their job than the NCO in my experience.

Mlanham9
06-06-2011, 06:22 PM
Find a A1C or a SrA because they tend to know more of their job than the NCO in my experience.

Well just talked on the phone with a Ssgt and she is in the process of looking up a Reg. They are still under the impression i need a NON A. Then she said i might not get 55 a day for food she said 15 and i said no way!

budman802g
06-06-2011, 08:20 PM
Has anyone been approved/denied yet for this month?

YaKkO
06-07-2011, 03:20 AM
Yo don't need a Non-A but what you do need is the sheet of paper from Kelly that says that there isn't a chow hall, and that is what will get you paid properly. For me it took nearly a year before I was paid properly, because I found the one finance guy who knew his job, nearly a year later.

Complete BS. I think the only way you should get paid for Kelly is if there is ZERO room at the gateway.

The fuckin country is already broke dick enough without our over payed TDY'ers sticking it to the man in the billeting sector also.

I'm sure a hate storm is headed my way but w/e.

Golther
06-07-2011, 03:26 AM
Complete BS. I think the only way you should get paid for Kelly is if there is ZERO room at the gateway.

The fuckin country is already broke dick enough without our over payed TDY'ers sticking it to the man in the billeting sector also.

I'm sure a hate storm is headed my way but w/e.

I think we have bigger issues to fry than an overpaid TDY. Just think of how much money could be saved if we just Canxed just one training sortie a month. Even with the relatively small fuel load of a C-130.

YaKkO
06-07-2011, 03:34 AM
I think we have bigger issues to fry than an overpaid TDY. Just think of how much money could be saved if we just Canxed just one training sortie a month. Even with the relatively small fuel load of a C-130.

The AWACS cancels its own sorties just by being a POS. So we take that hit for the AF.

Turkey9186
06-14-2011, 11:46 PM
Flight physical on the 26th, and then the long wait for AFRC to approve my Lasik waiver. Maybe school by October was optimistic?

FE Buckeye Pride
06-14-2011, 11:59 PM
Flight physical on the 26th, and then the long wait for AFRC to approve my Lasik waiver. Maybe school by October was optimistic?

No worries bro, its a long ass wait and then everything is a rush. Sitting here in Little Rock right now thinking about how the last 2 years (time it took from the first submission of crosstrain approval) has freaking flown by.

You will find yourself counting the questions in your head on a test of how many you really don't know, hoping that you just get an 85%, lol. Good luck with the Waiver, remember - "Everything is waiverable".

budman802g
06-15-2011, 08:57 PM
No worries bro, its a long ass wait and then everything is a rush. Sitting here in Little Rock right now thinking about how the last 2 years (time it took from the first submission of crosstrain approval) has freaking flown by.

You will find yourself counting the questions in your head on a test of how many you really don't know, hoping that you just get an 85%, lol. Good luck with the Waiver, remember - "Everything is waiverable".

I'm going through the wait game right now! I did have to get a waiver that took about 3 weeks to get but other than that I applied for the retraining back in November and it too all the way until 19 May to have everything done and go to Status 3. Now I'm just sitting on that waiting to go to Status 5.

FE Buckeye Pride
06-15-2011, 09:28 PM
I'm going through the wait game right now! I did have to get a waiver that took about 3 weeks to get but other than that I applied for the retraining back in November and it too all the way until 19 May to have everything done and go to Status 3. Now I'm just sitting on that waiting to go to Status 5.

Yeah, I remember being deployed waiting to go Status 5. Its a pain because its out of your hand and you know they only release it once a month. You ping daily waiting for the certain day of the next month, getting your hopes up and then it eventually it comes and you are pinging for Status 6...Its all a waiting game that sucks.

Any certain airframe you are wanting?

budman802g
06-16-2011, 01:54 PM
Yeah, I remember being deployed waiting to go Status 5. Its a pain because its out of your hand and you know they only release it once a month. You ping daily waiting for the certain day of the next month, getting your hopes up and then it eventually it comes and you are pinging for Status 6...Its all a waiting game that sucks.

Any certain airframe you are wanting?

I was looking to be on a KC-10 the most, but also liked the C-5. However, those aircraft aren't at any bases I would enjoy. I can do with not ever being on the east, or centeral and north east in particular, coast again and don't care for Californ-i-a. The wife and I have narrowed it down to a base we would enjoy instead and that puts me at C-130's or HH-60's. I think I'll just be happy to be flying even though it's not on a KC-10!

FE Buckeye Pride
06-16-2011, 02:00 PM
I was looking to be on a KC-10 the most, but also liked the C-5. However, those aircraft aren't at any bases I would enjoy. I can do with not ever being on the east, or centeral and north east in particular, coast again and don't care for Californ-i-a. The wife and I have narrowed it down to a base we would enjoy instead and that puts me at C-130's or HH-60's. I think I'll just be happy to be flying even though it's not on a KC-10!

You sound exactly the way I did headed into BFE. I knew KC-10's would be very Gucci, and that C-5's would be bad ass - who wouldnt want to be flying the largest cargo aircraft in the US Armed Services?

Actually, now that I think of it, the 3 active duty guys all wanted KC-10s in BFE. What did we get? 2 got C-130s and one got HH-60s. The C-130 assignments were good though, Elmendorf and Hurby Field. The guy that got 60's was already at Creech so it kind of stung him a bit, but he's an adaptive guy that will do well in combat.

I know the Herk seems boring but its a very cool, combat aircraft. You will be taught by guys that have been in Nam flying low level combat missions, dropping Rangers and SEALs into enemy territory. Im actually glad I got the C-130H2.

budman802g
06-16-2011, 02:15 PM
The more combat type flying of the Herc is what keeps me happy with possibly getting assigned to it and the base we want. We're hoping it works out that way at least! I try not to get excited about any of this for now since nothing is going to happen until my package gets approved. Waiting sucks!

bcoco14
06-17-2011, 05:01 AM

If I may offer a bit of advice on choosing assignments. This is my own personal opinion on the matter and you may have other things to consider that I don't know about, but here it is.

Choose the airframe you want to be on first, then choose the base you would prefer. The reason I say this is you are going to be the one flying and depending on the airframe you can plan to spend most of your time off-station, with a few exceptions. If you go off location alone and it turns out you end up at a location that doesn't have the airframe that YOU really deep down wanted then that can make home life just as bad. While I understand the fact that your wife will be spending most of the time there, if you haven't been to a base to understand what it does or doesn't have to offer you might be painting yourself into a corner that you might regret later on down the road based solely on a geographical location that you probably don't have a clue about. Not to mention there is nothing that says you're even going to get put where you want to go, needs of the AF and all that good stuff. While they do try to give you what you want, sometimes people get things at the bottom of the list based on how they rank their choices.

So go for what YOU want and then take into consideration where your wife would like to go, in the end you are the one that has to do the job and if you do end up landing at the dream location that you though would be great, then it turns out to be not so great then you're screwed on both ends. Just my $.02.

Turkey9186
06-17-2011, 05:53 AM

I went thru BFE and TTU the first time way back in '93, and then LIC in '97 all at Altus. I made the mistake of getting out of the Reserves with 15 years. It has been long enough now I need to go back to C-5 TTU. I am thinking it will be a little easier this time!

Travis is not that bad of a base for being in California. There is an incredible amount of stuff to see within a couple hours drive of the base. As for the missions, they would take us world wide where the east coast bases flew mainly to Europe or SE Asia.

BigBaze
06-17-2011, 08:00 PM
You sound exactly the way I did headed into BFE. I knew KC-10's would be very Gucci, and that C-5's would be bad ass - who wouldnt want to be flying the largest cargo aircraft in the US Armed Services?

Actually, now that I think of it, the 3 active duty guys all wanted KC-10s in BFE. What did we get? 2 got C-130s and one got HH-60s. The C-130 assignments were good though, Elmendorf and Hurby Field. The guy that got 60's was already at Creech so it kind of stung him a bit, but he's an adaptive guy that will do well in combat.

I know the Herk seems boring but its a very cool, combat aircraft. You will be taught by guys that have been in Nam flying low level combat missions, dropping Rangers and SEALs into enemy territory. Im actually glad I got the C-130H2.

Been on the -10 for a couple years now, already in instructor upgrade. The ops tempo is off the chain right now, they are cancelling or denying guys leave in order to fill the taskings, since the whole Odyssey Dawn thing kicked off, which we are now supporting. The places we fly to are definitely Gucci, but our MC rates are approaching those of the C5.

Turkey9186
06-17-2011, 10:39 PM
Been on the -10 for a couple years now, already in instructor upgrade. The ops tempo is off the chain right now, they are cancelling or denying guys leave in order to fill the taskings, since the whole Odyssey Dawn thing kicked off, which we are now supporting. The places we fly to are definitely Gucci, but our MC rates are approaching those of the C5.

Is the low MC rate because of the higher flying hours, or lack of parts? In the late '80s-early 90's the powers that be dried up all the enroute parts for the C5. Planes were waiting for a week to get a tire at Hickam that was only available from Kelly by military airlift. The result was the C5 MC rate dropping into the 40s. This gave the powers that all the justification they needed for the C17 buy.
New tanker going thru funding and acquisition....just saying.

BigBaze
06-17-2011, 11:04 PM
Is the low MC rate because of the higher flying hours, or lack of parts? In the late '80s-early 90's the powers that be dried up all the enroute parts for the C5. Planes were waiting for a week to get a tire at Hickam that was only available from Kelly by military airlift. The result was the C5 MC rate dropping into the 40s. This gave the powers that all the justification they needed for the C17 buy.
New tanker going thru funding and acquisition....just saying.

It's a combination of a lack of manning in Mx and the mental retardation of a Joint Base. Joint Base McGuire could give two fucks about their flyers or maintainers, least of all the KC10. They are too busy trying to prove to the Army on Ft Dix that the Air Force is here to play soldier. Our FE's are undermanned too after the whole HYT thing, we lost a TON of experience. I am putting on TSgt next month and will be amongst the experienced FE's here after only 2 or so years being qualified. The new tanker has been picked, and it is going to be replacing the 1950's-1960's era KC135's first. And even then they are going to put out maybe 15 a year.

And yes, the flying hours are getting insane. We have local training missions 7 days a week, plus filling the OND/OEF deployments, and now a Libya support 60 day TDY, and all the operational missions doing the fighter AEF swapouts, plus other missions CONUS and oh yes we have to cough up bodies for Honor Guard and base beautificiation team as well. I am sure it is the same across the AF:)

jasongrant
06-25-2011, 03:50 AM
im currently in the process of applying to retrain to FE(my flight physical is monday and my application should be done). The only questions i had were that is being overweight a reason why they would deny me( im 18 pounds over my standard). Also, do you have a say in what airframe you get to fly on?

BigBaze
06-25-2011, 08:29 AM
im currently in the process of applying to retrain to FE(my flight physical is monday and my application should be done). The only questions i had were that is being overweight a reason why they would deny me( im 18 pounds over my standard). Also, do you have a say in what airframe you get to fly on?

For your initial you will need to meet the weight standards. They have a chart in the reg that governs flight physicals, I forget what it was. I was delayed because I had to lose weight to meet the standards. After that they don't care about your weight during your next physical a year or so later.

As far as airframes go, you will fill out a dream sheet after a couple weeks at the school, ranking airframes and bases. You may or may not get what you want, the needs of the Air Force come first. They may work with you though. If you are at a base that has an airframe that has an FE position, there is a good chance you will stay right there on that airframe. There are certain airframes that are not available right out of BFE such as most of the AFSOC birds as well as the Gulfstreams, the E4 and Air Force One.

jasongrant
06-28-2011, 01:07 AM
For your initial you will need to meet the weight standards. They have a chart in the reg that governs flight physicals, I forget what it was. I was delayed because I had to lose weight to meet the standards. After that they don't care about your weight during your next physical a year or so later.

As far as airframes go, you will fill out a dream sheet after a couple weeks at the school, ranking airframes and bases. You may or may not get what you want, the needs of the Air Force come first. They may work with you though. If you are at a base that has an airframe that has an FE position, there is a good chance you will stay right there on that airframe. There are certain airframes that are not available right out of BFE such as most of the AFSOC birds as well as the Gulfstreams, the E4 and Air Force One.

Also, i seem to have a issue with depth perception. In the assumption that the glasses i ordered fix this issue, would that alone be a reason why the board passes on me? Thanks for all the help and advice.

BigBaze
06-28-2011, 01:53 AM
Also, i seem to have a issue with depth perception. In the assumption that the glasses i ordered fix this issue, would that alone be a reason why the board passes on me? Thanks for all the help and advice.

I failed my depth perception the last few times. The key to the circle test if they give you that is that it is never the outside circles, so you have 3 to guess from out of the 5. When I failed they gave me 3 other tests which I passed easily. Depth perception is not a big deal for engineers on the KC10 at least, for the booms and pilots, yes. It probably is an issue if you plan to go on helos since you will man the guns as well. I finally mastered the depth perception test, the key to pass your initial test is to find someone that will pass you

budman802g
06-29-2011, 06:57 PM
I failed my depth perception the last few times. The key to the circle test if they give you that is that it is never the outside circles, so you have 3 to guess from out of the 5. When I failed they gave me 3 other tests which I passed easily. Depth perception is not a big deal for engineers on the KC10 at least, for the booms and pilots, yes. It probably is an issue if you plan to go on helos since you will man the guns as well. I finally mastered the depth perception test, the key to pass your initial test is to find someone that will pass you

I failed my depth perception the first time around as well. I had some glasses ordered and I passed in the second time but was never promised any other type of test of I failed it that second time around. I was sweating it because I thought that would be the end of my retraining package if I failed that second time after I got the glasses.

The Doc did give me the advice about the two outside circles will never be the answer so that really helped!

YaKkO
06-30-2011, 12:41 AM

You speak tha troof. lol

Big Sal
07-02-2011, 07:24 PM
The good news is Im finally leaving for Aircrew Fundies and BFE, the funny thing is I leave on July 4th, class starts July 5th. Oh well its worth missing a few BBQs to finally get started. If anyone is going to be starting fundies July 5th hit me up. Good luck to everyone currently going through the pipeline right now, and also to those still in the application process. Its a long and sometimes nerve racking process but stick with it. It will work out.

budman802g
07-02-2011, 09:52 PM
The good news is Im finally leaving for Aircrew Fundies and BFE, the funny thing is I leave on July 4th, class starts July 5th. Oh well its worth missing a few BBQs to finally get started. If anyone is going to be starting fundies July 5th hit me up. Good luck to everyone currently going through the pipeline right now, and also to those still in the application process. Its a long and sometimes nerve racking process but stick with it. It will work out.

Congrats on starting the retraining finally! When did you get notified of a class date?

Turkey9186
07-03-2011, 04:27 AM
It could be worse, I started Survival School on the 4th.
Good luck in the classes, a lot of it is a mind game, pay attention to block values in BFE.

Reserve Medical lost my paperwork between the people there during the week and the people only there on the weekend. Back to waiting for a new physical date....

FE Buckeye Pride
07-03-2011, 06:37 AM
It could be worse, I started Survival School on the 4th.
Good luck in the classes, a lot of it is a mind game, pay attention to block values in BFE.

Oh how true.

I remember BFE, Block 5 being the "big block" everyone talked about. It was the block that once you passed they gave you your assignments and aircraft. They gave you two hours to complete about 40 TOLD questions. At the time you used about an hour and half of it, sweating nervously.

Now I find myself on a Herk with NVG's at 1 am, watching fuel, engine gages, airspeeds, running a Touch-And-Go checklist, and trying to update my Mini TOLD Card because we are at 102K, and I still have a 105K card posted. Then trying to bust ass to get my -1-1 out to grab some Max Effort numbers for the LtCol sitting in the right seat to get his currencies up to date. All this while my Instructor Eng is on intercomm pimping me questions about emergency procedures.

I look back on it now and laugh thinking "gosh what I would give for 2 hours for TOLD".

To the guys heading to BFE, all I can say is study man. Get with your classmates and make it work, lean on each other. Fundies is a waste of time for prior-service guys, but BFE is where you make your money. Its frustrating, seems long, and it does get old.

Just remember, its all worth it when you are standing in your Blues on a stage with your loved one punching a pair of silver wings onto your chest...That feeling, that moment I wouldnt give away for any money.

BigBaze
07-03-2011, 04:11 PM
Oh how true.

I remember BFE, Block 5 being the "big block" everyone talked about. It was the block that once you passed they gave you your assignments and aircraft. They gave you two hours to complete about 40 TOLD questions. At the time you used about an hour and half of it, sweating nervously.

Now I find myself on a Herk with NVG's at 1 am, watching fuel, engine gages, airspeeds, running a Touch-And-Go checklist,and trying to update my Mini TOLD Card because we are at 102K, and I still have a 105K card posted. Then trying to bust ass to get my -1-1 out to grab some Max Effort numbers for the LtCol sitting in the right seat to get his currencies up to date. All this while my Instructor Eng is on intercomm pimping me questions about emergency procedures.

I look back on it now and laugh thinking "gosh what I would give for 2 hours for TOLD".

To the guys heading to BFE, all I can say is study man. Get with your classmates and make it work, lean on each other. Fundies is a waste of time for prior-service guys, but BFE is where you make your money. Its frustrating, seems long, and it does get old.

Just remember, its all worth it when you are standing in your Blues on a stage with your loved one punching a pair of silver wings onto your chest...That feeling, that moment I wouldnt give away for any money.

So very true. I have learned to run 3 TOLD cards every time, one dry, one dry with crosswind over 10 knots and one for wet runway, because the conditions change just like that, and it'll change your V1 drastically. There's nothing like using 11,000' of a 12,000 runway in 45 degrees C temp, with all 3 engines approaching EGT limit. Getting my wings pinned on was the greatest feelings ever, and getting my instructor tab next month will be the next best

Big Sal
07-03-2011, 05:26 PM
Congrats on starting the retraining finally! When did you get notified of a class date?
I got notified about month ago. Im excited,nervous but definatly motivated. Survival School on the 4th sounds like you feel my pain. All the F.E.s in my unit warned me that the most "unpleasant" but also "important" parts of training would probably be Block 5 and SERE training. I will focus and not take any portion of my training lightly. I heard the group study thing was definatly a big help also, I will look into setting that up when I get down there. I just want to say thanks to all you that have already finished your training for guiding newbies like me through the process. The info you you guys share is invaluable, as well as motivational. I remeber when I started the application process and was getting told "NO" from everybody(MPF, Med Clinic,1st Sgt, AFPC,Supervisor etc etc...) I used to read some of the posts and see that some people got the same treatment I got or worse, and they managed to fight through it and reach there dreams. It pushed me to not let them take control of my career and take what I wanted. And yes, I as well can't wait to be on the stage getting my wings. It will probably be one of the most satisfying moments of my life.

Turkey9186
07-03-2011, 07:26 PM
You can either fight back every step of the way, or give up. In my case, MEPS will not touch me because of my age. Sounds like the local reserve medical unit is still playing the same games they have for the last twenty years. At some point it would be nice if someone went in and "cleaned house." That will probably never happen though. Hopefully I will be headed south by the end of the year!

Nothing you do in class will ever prepare you for the real world. I have been told they have put so many restrictions on the sim instruction at the local level even they are "canned" now. Someplace I have a C5 told card with all kinds of cheats on it. One of our pilots worked out a math formula for power based on weight and temp. The speeds were all based on adding 75 to the first two numbers of the gross weight and then adding or subtracting percentages for the other speed. Came in handy when we lined up on final at McMurdo and the flap handle broke with the flaps and slats partially extended and going around not an option.

Being an instructor just means the learning curve goes way up. Hardest thing is learning to set on your hands and let the student make a mistake.

FE Buckeye Pride
07-04-2011, 03:12 AM
Being an instructor just means the learning curve goes way up. Hardest thing is learning to set on your hands and let the student make a mistake.

Oh how true. Im out here at "The Rock" (Little Rock) for C130H2 IQT. When we went to start engines yesterday I had a "Stop/Start, Negative Rotation." Well I look up and see that my APU Bleed Air was never turnd on, therefore I had no air on the manifold to start number 3 engine. My instructor just laughed and said "yeah, I saw it coming, but I wanted you to learn from it."

Big Sal - sounds lik your got your head in the right place bro. Keep it there and you will do just fine as an Eng. Its all motivation from within.

FE Buckeye Pride
07-04-2011, 11:40 PM
Just a good study idea to the guys heading to BFE and/or their MQT/IQT soon:

San Antonio is a GREAT place to have fun in. From Coyboys Dancehall to the plethora of bars along the river downtown. If you are working hard during the week you certainly need to go out and have a little fun on the weekends to release some steam. Something my buddies and I did was not only having a DD but also a DFG (designated flashcard guy). This guy would be responsible for bringing some flashcards with him to quiz everyone in the car over study material on the way downtown or to whatever bar/club your going. If the crew didnt get totally blitzed, he would also quiz everyone while eating some late night-post bar Waffle House. The rule was that there was to be no questions while in the bar.

Its a good way to keep your mind in the game, but also have fun. You could even use it to see who will buy the first round or something.

YaKkO
07-05-2011, 03:06 AM
I would just like to announce that.....

AWACS is getting ETOLD finally!!!!! lol

That is all. :rockon

YaKkO
07-05-2011, 03:06 AM

Turkey9186
07-05-2011, 03:23 AM

Don't get used to it...between 1992-2004 the C5 world had it three times. Each time a new AMC Stan/Eval FE would take over and say "No, everyone needs to know how to run a chart."

YaKkO
07-05-2011, 03:27 AM
Don't get used to it...between 1992-2004 the C5 world had it three times. Each time a new AMC Stan/Eval FE would take over and say "No, everyone needs to know how to run a chart."

Yeah I hear ya. I'm predicting less than a month till some FE makes a mistake with it and unknowingly takes off with the incorrect data and the whole thing gets shit canned.

There logic though is Change 10 of our 1-1 is so rediculous that we need it lol...

SEFE guy in flight said it took him 20 minutes to run a card. Which its more than double the time it takes us right now on Change 9 right now.

Turkey9186
07-05-2011, 03:54 AM
At one point we had and used (all at the same time!) the charts, Etold, Fsas numbers, and the drivers crib sheet. Twenty minutes for a TOLD card was normal, especially when the 152ft rule came into play and we were trying to take off on a hot day with the highest gross weight.
The loads had an electronic form F in the early 90s. Many times I would check it and ask how we could have a 29 LEMAC with a max gross weight t/o. Always got the same answer, that is what the computer said...all amounts to garbage in, garbage out.

VidMXGuy
07-05-2011, 06:48 AM
At one point we had and used (all at the same time!) the charts, Etold, Fsas numbers, and the drivers crib sheet. Twenty minutes for a TOLD card was normal, especially when the 152ft rule came into play and we were trying to take off on a hot day with the highest gross weight.
The loads had an electronic form F in the early 90s. Many times I would check it and ask how we could have a 29 LEMAC with a max gross weight t/o. Always got the same answer, that is what the computer said...all amounts to garbage in, garbage out.

Yeah, the C-5A and the C-5B both still have and you can use eTOLD. But the C-5M doesn't have it yet. I have heard that TOLD on the C-5M is much easier though.

FE Buckeye Pride
07-05-2011, 07:04 AM
Yeah I hear ya. I'm predicting less than a month till some FE makes a mistake with it and unknowingly takes off with the incorrect data and the whole thing gets shit canned.

There logic though is Change 10 of our 1-1 is so rediculous that we need it lol...

SEFE guy in flight said it took him 20 minutes to run a card. Which its more than double the time it takes us right now on Change 9 right now.

The C130 AMP has TOLD ran through the SCNS (Nav/Pilot system used for navigation/way point tracking). I think its a really cool, time relieving stress.

Pro: IF you type in the numbers, the numbers put out will be on point EVERY time to the exact single digit. This takes the human error out right away (along with time consumed for flipping through charts).

Con: If something happens to SCNS and/or if you plug the wrong data in, you're screwed. You will not have a human eye to compare with previous flights and say "something isnt correct here".

I hate running TOLD, but it does give me some sort of break after the pre-flight inspection and before the crew briefing/take off.

Big Sal
07-12-2011, 06:33 PM
So heres an update Block 1 of Fundies done, I got a 97.5, I missed the most stupid question on the test. All the other priors passed We lost 4 NPS Airman. One was already a washback into our class so his future is unclear at the momment. Well we are going out to dinner to celebrate then its on to Block 2 wish me luck and I will keep you guys updated.

YaKkO
07-13-2011, 12:51 AM
The C130 AMP has TOLD ran through the SCNS (Nav/Pilot system used for navigation/way point tracking). I think its a really cool, time relieving stress.

Pro: IF you type in the numbers, the numbers put out will be on point EVERY time to the exact single digit. This takes the human error out right away (along with time consumed for flipping through charts).

Con: If something happens to SCNS and/or if you plug the wrong data in, you're screwed. You will not have a human eye to compare with previous flights and say "something isnt correct here".

I hate running TOLD, but it does give me some sort of break after the pre-flight inspection and before the crew briefing/take off.

There's an IFE in out flight who has the program on a disk so we have messed around with it. And if it spits out suspect numbers or anything that seems "Non-Standard" it pretty much asks if that's what you really meant at the end. So I don't think we are gonna really have the Shit in = Shit out problem. What we will have is a bunch of happy as hell FE's lol

YaKkO
07-13-2011, 12:52 AM
So heres an update Block 1 of Fundies done, I got a 97.5, I missed the most stupid question on the test. All the other priors passed We lost 4 NPS Airman. One was already a washback into our class so his future is unclear at the momment. Well we are going out to dinner to celebrate then its on to Block 2 wish me luck and I will keep you guys updated.

Good luck man. Just stay in the books. Remember that some wasted Friday and Saturday nights spent studying there are worth it in the end. BFE is in my opinion the hardest part of your training depending on Air frame of course, so keep it up. Its down hill after pin-on.

onyx
07-15-2011, 05:29 PM
Good luck man. Just stay in the books. Remember that some wasted Friday and Saturday nights spent studying there are worth it in the end. BFE is in my opinion the hardest part of your training depending on Air frame of course, so keep it up. Its down hill after pin-on.

LOL, gaywacs must be easier than I originally imagined.

akruse
07-15-2011, 10:58 PM
LOL, gaywacs must be easier than I originally imagined.

BFE wasn't even close to IQT. In one day of 60 IQT you learned more than what you'd learn in three weeks (you could learn and forget it in BFE) of BFE.

FE Buckeye Pride
07-16-2011, 08:05 PM
BFE wasn't even close to IQT. In one day of 60 IQT you learned more than what you'd learn in three weeks (you could learn and forget it in BFE) of BFE.

130's are the same way on the flight line. You get asked the most random shit from the -1, -1-1, Vol 3, 101, etc. BFE was basically "can you memorize information?" C-130 IQT is can you take in loads on information, remember it, understand the "why" behind it, and apply it everyday for the next 6-7 months to include in-flight emergencies?

YaKkO
07-17-2011, 04:44 PM
130's are the same way on the flight line. You get asked the most random shit from the -1, -1-1, Vol 3, 101, etc. BFE was basically "can you memorize information?" C-130 IQT is can you take in loads on information, remember it, understand the "why" behind it, and apply it everyday for the next 6-7 months to include in-flight emergencies?

I still don't think that's as hard as the monotonous memorization and brain dumping on the test. That along with it being the first time you ever run TOLD? I never had any problems in BFE but I probably left with about 5 stomach ulcers lmao.

IQT was way easier for at least me. Maybe it was just the fact that I actually enjoyed it? That and AWACS guys don't pretend to give a shit about things that are better left to MX, seeing as how there is no in flight T/S'ing aloud anyways.

onyx
07-17-2011, 11:07 PM
That and AWACS guys don't pretend to give a shit about things that are better left to MX, seeing as how there is no in flight T/S'ing aloud anyways.

So you have limited systems knowledge and you cant speak out loud about troubleshooting?

I trouble shoot everything from hydraulic leaks, autopilot issues, ADI malfunctions to TD system failures. 98% of your problems wont be when your pre-flighting, so you better know what to do. If you dont troubleshoot and pinpoint what is going wrong and when, how do your maintenance guys know what to properly fix in a timely matter?

YaKkO
07-18-2011, 12:44 AM
So you have limited systems knowledge and you cant speak out loud about troubleshooting?

I trouble shoot everything from hydraulic leaks, autopilot issues, ADI malfunctions to TD system failures. 98% of your problems wont be when your pre-flighting, so you better know what to do. If you dont troubleshoot and pinpoint what is going wrong and when, how do your maintenance guys know what to properly fix in a timely matter?

I don't make the rules. I just follow them. You gotta remember that we are flying a airliner man. Not a herc that was made for the military.

As far as trouble shooting, this jet will tell you exactly what is wrong without trouble shooting. It's not a very complex air frame.

For instance if you get some dutch roll going on. There is only one component that will really cause that outside of structural damage and its the yaw damper. Also if I get a low pressure light on a hydro pump and the quantity gauge shows empty you can bet that we have a leak. I will then run the checklist and I will know where that leak is etc. I wasn't trying to downgrade what Buckeye said but we just operate out a totally different world man.

budman802g
07-19-2011, 01:40 PM
Got the first half of some good news yesterday in the form of going Status 5! The second half of the good news should come Wednesday, or at least that's what I was told, in the form of Status 6. Let me tell you guys how this happened!

The new NCORP list came out on Thursday and the list with the names of mandatory movers came out on Friday. My name was on the list and it concerned me that it might affect my Status 3 that I've been in since May 19 so I called up the Total Force Service Center. After being on a 40 minute hold I told the dude that I had completed my retraining package and had been Stat 3 since May and that now my name was on the NCORP listing. He put me on hold for 5 minutes, came back and said that he had a quick meeting with some leadership in the office and they approved me on the spot and went Stat 5 right away! The dude then told me it was a good thing I called because when my name was put on the NCORP listing, it froze my current retraining application that was already in and they would have done NOTHING with it if I didn't call. It sounds like when they created this list, they didn't check to see if people already had retraining applications in.

Also, he told me that my ETP no longer matters. It's still sitting at Air Staff awaiting approval, but that they in the office had the power to override it so it doesn't matter anymore. The dude was pretty helpful and man am I glad I called over there, or else who knows...I might have been forced cross-trained into the EEO or manpower office or something horrible like that! Hope this also helps someone else out there that is in this situation and don't hesitate to ask any questions.

Big Sal
07-20-2011, 08:15 PM

Thanks for the well wishing Yakko, I just took and passed Block 2 of Fundies. All we have left is the altitude chamber and then I start BFE Monday, we pretty much have 2 chill days of fundies(Thursday, Friday) and then we slide into the weekend, so we are going to party it up all weekend and celebrate, cause once BFE starts its game time. Im not going to waste any time parting while in BFE, so were are going to get it out of our systems now. Ive bumped into a few of the current BFE students and they said it is no joke. We got to watch the senior BFE students graduate today and it definatly got me even more motivated to get my wings. I cant wait. I will let you guys know how BFE goes and good luck to everybody whose on there way down here.

onyx
07-21-2011, 04:28 AM
I just got back from my first FE deployment. I left 2 weeks after I had my check ride, with only a cherry ride in between. 65 sorties and 407 hours. You guys better be ready to roll after you get spun up.

FE Buckeye Pride
07-21-2011, 10:51 PM
I just got back from my first FE deployment. I left 2 weeks after I had my check ride, with only a cherry ride in between. 65 sorties and 407 hours. You guys better be ready to roll after you get spun up.

DM? I take you're on EC's? Im coming from DM myself (79th).

Heading up to Elmendorf myself, its gonna be about 2 years until we deploy, lol. I think Ill use every bit of that time to my advantage.

Turkey9186
07-24-2011, 04:36 AM
Attempt #2 at completing my flight physical tomorrow. Hopefully the left and right hand have talked to each other and I will not waste another morning.

budman802g
07-24-2011, 05:28 PM
I got my class dates finally last Friday! After first applying for this in November 2010, I'm finally done with the wait! I start 19 August!!!!!!!

Turkey9186
07-25-2011, 04:55 AM
Successfully convinced the flight surgeon I am still healthy enough to fly. Now the wait begins for my Lasik waiver. Fall class date is looking promising again.

Budman, Good luck and have fun down there.

budman802g
07-25-2011, 05:08 AM
Thanks Turkey and congrats on getting the physical done, that one took the longest for me to get done. I'm a deep South Texas native so it will be nice to be back in the Father Land and starting the retraining to a more enjoyable job.

BigBaze
07-25-2011, 05:36 AM
Oh how time flies. graduated BFE In July of 2008, and I am getting my instructor checkride this Saturday....One you start your IQT training, the time flies by. (no pun intended) Good luck to all of you

Big Sal
07-29-2011, 05:18 PM
Just passed BFE block 1 test with a 100%, only 8 more blocks to go!

Turkey9186
07-30-2011, 05:18 AM
Just passed BFE block 1 test with a 100%, only 8 more blocks to go!

Listen to what they are saying, take good notes, and pay attention to block value!

BigBaze, you just thought you knew the airplane. You will be amazed what your students will teach you.

Big Sal
07-30-2011, 06:08 AM
Listen to what they are saying, take good notes, and pay attention to block value!

BigBaze, you just thought you knew the airplane. You will be amazed what your students will teach you.
Im tring to stay on top of everything out here. Its definatly not fundies anymore.

BigBaze
07-30-2011, 03:05 PM

You're not kidding, they make you get even deeper in the books and stay in them, just to stay ahead of them:)

Turkey9186
08-06-2011, 05:31 AM
Im tring to stay on top of everything out here. Its definatly not fundies anymore.

You still surviving the abuse? It does get better, then you go to SERE school. lol

YaKkO
08-06-2011, 11:50 PM
You still surviving the abuse? It does get better, then you go to SERE school. lol

lol. Then the abuse gets worse.

Big Sal
08-09-2011, 12:14 PM

Yea Im still going strong, Just got done with Block 3 of BFE. Its getting deep but we are all hanging in there.

budman802g
08-11-2011, 07:11 AM
About how many students do they put in the classes?

YaKkO
08-11-2011, 01:11 PM
About how many students do they put in the classes?

About 10-ish no more than 14 or 15 though.

Turkey9186
08-11-2011, 05:40 PM
Big Sal, are you at the Kelly Inn or downtown? I want to bring my bike down with me, but really don't want to store it outside...
Budman, when I went to BFE the first time the classes were 14-16. My C5 class was three, and they usually had two-four per class. Makes it a lot easier in the sim phase if you have a flying partner. Four hours at the panel is long time!

YaKkO
08-11-2011, 10:15 PM
Big Sal, are you at the Kelly Inn or downtown? I want to bring my bike down with me, but really don't want to store it outside...
Budman, when I went to BFE the first time the classes were 14-16. My C5 class was three, and they usually had two-four per class. Makes it a lot easier in the sim phase if you have a flying partner. Four hours at the panel is long time!

Avoid AWACS like the plague then lol

Big Sal
08-12-2011, 12:17 AM

Today we started Block 5, let me say that it definatly was annoying at first, but Im sure if we keep studying hard we will be fine. We were told that Block 5 was the last of the "Hard Blocks", so we are finally starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel. But first, we gotta get out of Block 5. Turkey, Im staying at Kelly. The room I got is pretty nice. I was staying on Lackland for Fundies and that was ok except for all the mosqitoes and the horrible per diem :( I didnt have the rental car thing squared away before I got here, so I had to stay close to the school house until I got the rental. Once my unit loosened up there death grip on the funds, I got the rental car and I moved over to Kelly. Budman, My BFE class has a total of four people in it(2 C-130 guys,2 KC-10 guys). We started out just 3 of us, then we caught a washback. The usual class size that I ve seen down here has been between 6-10 students.

budman802g
08-15-2011, 05:03 AM
Today we started Block 5, let me say that it definatly was annoying at first, but Im sure if we keep studying hard we will be fine. We were told that Block 5 was the last of the "Hard Blocks", so we are finally starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel. But first, we gotta get out of Block 5. Turkey, Im staying at Kelly. The room I got is pretty nice. I was staying on Lackland for Fundies and that was ok except for all the mosqitoes and the horrible per diem :( I didnt have the rental car thing squared away before I got here, so I had to stay close to the school house until I got the rental. Once my unit loosened up there death grip on the funds, I got the rental car and I moved over to Kelly. Budman, My BFE class has a total of four people in it(2 C-130 guys,2 KC-10 guys). We started out just 3 of us, then we caught a washback. The usual class size that I ve seen down here has been between 6-10 students.

Thanks for the info! I'm going to be driving down there this week and starting class on Friday so it's finally time! Looking at the 10 day weather outlook and the non stop 100°+ days look awesome! I am a native South Texan but I haven't been in that type of heat since I left Texas!

How did you get moved from Lackland to Kelly? I haven't made any reservations yet at billeting. Do you know if people are getting the aircraft/base they are choosing as well?

Big Sal
08-16-2011, 06:40 AM
Thanks for the info! I'm going to be driving down there this week and starting class on Friday so it's finally time! Looking at the 10 day weather outlook and the non stop 100°+ days look awesome! I am a native South Texan but I haven't been in that type of heat since I left Texas!

How did you get moved from Lackland to Kelly? I haven't made any reservations yet at billeting. Do you know if people are getting the aircraft/base they are choosing as well?

Yea Its definatly hot down here. Im from NYC, so Im not really a big fan of extreme heat, but I also spent 4 years in Okinawa so I can deal with it if I need to. As far as me getting on to Kelly, when I was approved for the rental car, I just went to Kellys front desk and asked if they had rooms open, he said I had to wait for two days and then I could check in. It worked out because it ended up being a Saturday so I had the day to move over. Everyone I spoke to said that they just showed up to Kellys front desk and just checked in. Thats probably your best bet. That wasnt an option for me because I came from overseas and didnt have my own car in the States so I was relying on my Unit to pay for the rental. Since they were playing hardball with me I had to play it safe and stay on Lackland at first. Now to answer your question about Aircraft and assignments I have to say that never in my AF career have I ever seen so many people get exactely what they want! Just about all the people I spoke to got there #1 or #2 at worst. Worst assignment I seen dished out was Huey's at Minot. You should be good to go with Aircraft I think. If you put 130's on your sheet you are pretty locked in to them. What Aircraft/ Location are you aiming for?

budman802g
08-16-2011, 06:23 PM
Yea Its definatly hot down here. Im from NYC, so Im not really a big fan of extreme heat, but I also spent 4 years in Okinawa so I can deal with it if I need to. As far as me getting on to Kelly, when I was approved for the rental car, I just went to Kellys front desk and asked if they had rooms open, he said I had to wait for two days and then I could check in. It worked out because it ended up being a Saturday so I had the day to move over. Everyone I spoke to said that they just showed up to Kellys front desk and just checked in. Thats probably your best bet. That wasnt an option for me because I came from overseas and didnt have my own car in the States so I was relying on my Unit to pay for the rental. Since they were playing hardball with me I had to play it safe and stay on Lackland at first. Now to answer your question about Aircraft and assignments I have to say that never in my AF career have I ever seen so many people get exactely what they want! Just about all the people I spoke to got there #1 or #2 at worst. Worst assignment I seen dished out was Huey's at Minot. You should be good to go with Aircraft I think. If you put 130's on your sheet you are pretty locked in to them. What Aircraft/ Location are you aiming for?

I'll give that a shot when I get there! As for aircraft, I would love KC-10 and then C-5 second, but don't like the areas their bases are 3. The bases I do like have C-130's. I'm not sure what I would think if I got put on a Huey at Minot! In all I think I'll be happy just flying.

kel5431
08-18-2011, 02:28 PM
My husband just left to Lackland to begin his re-training for FE. One of the things I am curious about with the new career is if there is going to be any predictability in his schedule. Will we possibly know what days he's gone for a few weeks out or will his flight schedule be different week-to-week? I realize that deployments and TDYs are completely different, but will there be regular flights that the crew takes? He is trying to get on C-130s. Thanks in advance for your replies.

Turkey9186
08-18-2011, 03:57 PM
It depends on what airframe he is assigned.
I spent 12 years flying full time as a reservist on C5's. I always allowed a five day cushion on every trip. Even then I have gone out on a seven day trip and made it home twenty plus days later more than once. I also landed late at night looking forward to a couple days off, and been airborne ten hours later.
C130s deploy frequently. Expect him to be home for three to four months for training and then gone for six months. It sounds like AWACS and the rotor wing world is the same.
If his squadron is nice, they will work with him on the scheduling. That is not always guaranteed though.
Jerry

theyard
08-18-2011, 07:08 PM
Hey everyone,

I've been watching this thread for a while and I originally got approved for FE retraining back in June. Had some issues come up and classes were put on hold. Got new class dates on Tuesday and start next Friday. I knew it was going to be soon but damn not that soon. Anyway just wanted to say thanks for creating this thread because it has helped me out through this process a lot. Also, included in my class dates is Underwater Egress Training so it looks like I'm headed to helicopters like I wanted. Anyone been promoted while in class? Just wondering so I know what to expect. I put on SSgt Sep 1st.

Turkey9186
08-19-2011, 12:08 AM
When I went through water survival, underwater egress was part of the course. Nothing like having a hangover and being dunked repeatedly upside down in a cold pool. lol

Just heard they are doing a rewrite of the training regs. The new version would extend the formal school requirement after going UF from five to eight years. Now if they will release it in the next year, I will not need to go back to the school house again!

YaKkO
08-19-2011, 01:18 AM
When I went through water survival, underwater egress was part of the course. Nothing like having a hangover and being dunked repeatedly upside down in a cold pool. lol

Just heard they are doing a rewrite of the training regs. The new version would extend the formal school requirement after going UF from five to eight years. Now if they will release it in the next year, I will not need to go back to the school house again!

The idea of anyone having to go back through BFE after already once completing the course if fucking dumb anyways. As a prior FE you obviously know that most of it is bullshit anyways. All it is is a way to weed out the super tards before IQT. Clearly you were not one of the aforementioned "super tards" so it's just a waste of money to send you either way man.

/rant.

But hopefully they implement the reg before you go man. :israel

YaKkO
08-19-2011, 01:22 AM
Hey everyone,

I've been watching this thread for a while and I originally got approved for FE retraining back in June. Had some issues come up and classes were put on hold. Got new class dates on Tuesday and start next Friday. I knew it was going to be soon but damn not that soon. Anyway just wanted to say thanks for creating this thread because it has helped me out through this process a lot. Also, included in my class dates is Underwater Egress Training so it looks like I'm headed to helicopters like I wanted. Anyone been promoted while in class? Just wondering so I know what to expect. I put on SSgt Sep 1st.

That's kinda weird that you got survival dates w/ your class dates. But as far as promotion while in class, you will come in one day as a SrA and the next as a SSgt. The instructors will not even notice the difference unless you tell them. I was a SrA when I went through BFE and the whole time they referred to me as SSgt -insert name- anyways lol. It's uncommon for them to get Airman so they say Sergeant without even thinking about it.

Turkey9186
08-19-2011, 01:31 AM
Right now I need to go to Aircrew Fundamentals since it was part of BFE when I went in '92 and not a separate course. Then I have to go to C5 IQT again. With the Reg change I will not need to due that with CC recommend. OF course, the CC is now 0-5 I used to fly with when he was an O-1.
I have 26 years of aviation experience. Four of that as a C5 crew chief, and 12 as a C5 MF/IF. Yeah, Fundamentals is a really important class, but if the AF is willing to pay me perdiem plus a hotel room for 14 days...
I might learn something in IQT. Basic airplane is still the same, but it now has a glass cockpit.

There were 16 people in my BFE class. Four of us qualified on our airframes. Two us were Reservist, one Guard, and one AD. The AD guy went to -141s and then -10s. All of us weekend warriors went to C5s. I wonder what happened to the other twelve. Most of them were non-powered age, missile mx, and a cop.
The AD 1st shirt was always on myself and the Guard guy in BFE and IQT. Something about not applying ourselves, being worthless weekend warriors, spending too much time at the club, etc. We graduated both courses with honors. lol

YaKkO
08-19-2011, 01:37 AM
Right now I need to go to Aircrew Fundamentals since it was part of BFE when I went in '92 and not a separate course. Then I have to go to C5 IQT again. With the Reg change I will not need to due that with CC recommend. OF course, the CC is now 0-5 I used to fly with when he was an O-1.
I have 26 years of aviation experience. Four of that as a C5 crew chief, and 12 as a C5 MF/IF. Yeah, Fundamentals is a really important class, but if the AF is willing to pay me perdiem plus a hotel room for 14 days...
I might learn something in IQT. Basic airplane is still the same, but it now has a glass cockpit.

There were 16 people in my BFE class. Four of us qualified on our airframes. Two us were Reservist, one Guard, and one AD. The AD guy went to -141s and then -10s. All of us weekend warriors went to C5s. I wonder what happened to the other twelve. Most of them were non-powered age, missile mx, and a cop.
The AD 1st shirt was always on myself and the Guard guy in BFE and IQT. Something about not applying ourselves, being worthless weekend warriors, spending too much time at the club, etc. We graduated both courses with honors. lol

Well if you do end up having to go back to Lackland for Fundies/BFE you will excel lol. It's super basic crap. Looking at it now, if I had to go again I would go crazy. But I guess that is to be expected out of a CMR Engineer huh.

theyard
08-19-2011, 02:43 AM
That's kinda weird that you got survival dates w/ your class dates. But as far as promotion while in class, you will come in one day as a SrA and the next as a SSgt. The instructors will not even notice the difference unless you tell them. I was a SrA when I went through BFE and the whole time they referred to me as SSgt -insert name- anyways lol. It's uncommon for them to get Airman so they say Sergeant without even thinking about it.

Well that's fine with me because I didn't want a big deal of it and because I'm leaving next week it gets me out of the promotion ceremony they do at this base. The survival dates they gave me are right after BFE. Suppose to graduate BFE October 28th then straight to Fairchild for Underwater Egress, Water Survival-Non Parachute, then SERE.

YaKkO
08-19-2011, 02:46 AM
Well that's fine with me because I didn't want a big deal of it and because I'm leaving next week it gets me out of the promotion ceremony they do at this base. The survival dates they gave me are right after BFE. Suppose to graduate BFE October 28th then straight to Fairchild for Underwater Egress, Water Survival-Non Parachute, then SERE.

Good times man. Good luck in training though. With any luck you will never have to come to AWACS. In other words. Don't puss out on underwater egress! lol

jasongrant
08-21-2011, 04:28 PM
just a little update...FINALLY passed my physical and submitted my application. I know the board meets every 3rd thursday of every month, but once they meet, how long do they usually take to let u know whether you did or did not get accepted?

YaKkO
08-21-2011, 09:45 PM
just a little update...FINALLY passed my physical and submitted my application. I know the board meets every 3rd thursday of every month, but once they meet, how long do they usually take to let u know whether you did or did not get accepted?

A few days after they meet up you will see a Status 3 come up. If not call AFPC and be anoying until the tell you whats up.

jasongrant
08-23-2011, 03:30 PM
hey YaKko, i am 15 pounds overweight as of the date of my application being submitted. Is this something that AFPC will deny my package for, and if so, will i be able to resubmit the package once the weight is dropped to the standard?

YaKkO
08-23-2011, 09:42 PM
hey YaKko, i am 15 pounds overweight as of the date of my application being submitted. Is this something that AFPC will deny my package for, and if so, will i be able to resubmit the package once the weight is dropped to the standard?

Well If you got a 1042 that said you were cleared for flying duties you should be good man? And based on your above post it sounds like you do have it. That being said if you are over weight for your height I would highly recommend trying to shed that weight ASAP so that It doesn't affect your retraining down the road.

theyard
08-25-2011, 10:26 PM
So just got in here at Lackland and start Fundies tomorrow morning. Anybody know all the must go places or restaurants? I went to six flags and the river walk back after Basic but don't remember much of it lol.

YaKkO
08-26-2011, 10:10 PM
So just got in here at Lackland and start Fundies tomorrow morning. Anybody know all the must go places or restaurants? I went to six flags and the river walk back after Basic but don't remember much of it lol.

Everyone will rave about Rudy's Barbecue. It's over rated IMO.

theyard
08-28-2011, 05:43 AM
hmmm, may have to try it and see. Anyway fundamentals seems pretty easy of a class, at least for me being a fighter avionics troop and knowing everything they are talking about lol, but they did have 12 NPS students fail on Friday. My instructor is an FE and said he will also be my BFE instructor since he is dual qualified. Haven't found any heli FEs but I did get to talk to 2 gunners and they gave me some good info on bases and what not and I think they scared the hell out of the only gunner in our class who is a NPS lol.

theyard
08-28-2011, 05:47 AM
Oh yeah, they were also talking about combining the gunner and FE AFSC into a 1A9 for helicopters. Not sure when that is happening though. And all 3 FEs in my class, that includes me, want HH-60s so should be interesting to see what we all get.

YaKkO
08-30-2011, 01:34 AM
Oh yeah, they were also talking about combining the gunner and FE AFSC into a 1A9 for helicopters. Not sure when that is happening though. And all 3 FEs in my class, that includes me, want HH-60s so should be interesting to see what we all get.

Helo FE's will shit bricks if this ever happens.

They have a hardcore elitist attitude and they would be pissed to have gunners doing what they do.

jasongrant
09-01-2011, 06:41 PM
Got (tentatively) approved for retraining (Status 5) today...jus waiting for a class date now!

theyard
09-02-2011, 09:38 PM
Well, Block 1 is in the books. I missed the dumbest question lol so should have had a 100 but oh well. No one in our class failed including any NPS but we quizzed the hell out of them so they shouldn't have anyway. Headed out to the Brazilian steakhouse tonight and then hit the books for block 2. I'm just ready to get into BFE and actually learn about the job. Oh yeah and see the dumb stuff people (including myself) do in the altitude chamber haha.

YaKkO
09-02-2011, 10:14 PM
Well, Block 1 is in the books. I missed the dumbest question lol so should have had a 100 but oh well. No one in our class failed including any NPS but we quizzed the hell out of them so they shouldn't have anyway. Headed out to the Brazilian steakhouse tonight and then hit the books for block 2. I'm just ready to get into BFE and actually learn about the job. Oh yeah and see the dumb stuff people (including myself) do in the altitude chamber haha.

Congrats. Keep at it!

Nate3715
09-06-2011, 06:00 PM
Anyone in the Sep 30th fundies class?

afmeekins
09-06-2011, 10:20 PM
Just received my status 5 on my application on the 1st of Sept. Just waiting on my class dates now. Not sure if this is a common issue, but do any of yall have a hard time deciding what aircraft that you would like to work on (I know when it comes down to it the air force will decide what you get)?

YaKkO
09-06-2011, 10:41 PM
Just received my status 5 on my application on the 1st of Sept. Just waiting on my class dates now. Not sure if this is a common issue, but do any of yall have a hard time deciding what aircraft that you would like to work on (I know when it comes down to it the air force will decide what you get)?

Dude, when the time comes your not really gonna care what A/C you get assigned to. When I got assigned to AWACS a couple years ago I was a little peeved at first, but then it sinks in that you are on your way and it honestly just didn't matter to me anymore.

Personal preference is gonna be all about what you wanna do though. Deployments are gonna be often no matter what frame you try to get so keep that in mind.

afmeekins
09-06-2011, 11:12 PM
Dude, when the time comes your not really gonna care what A/C you get assigned to. When I got assigned to AWACS a couple years ago I was a little peeved at first, but then it sinks in that you are on your way and it honestly just didn't matter to me anymore.

Personal preference is gonna be all about what you wanna do though. Deployments are gonna be often no matter what frame you try to get so keep that in mind.

Yea I hear you, I'm just excited that I finally get to start training here shortly, it really doesn't matter which aircraft I receive. Just glad that I'll be flying.

theyard
09-06-2011, 11:29 PM
From what I've seen being in Fundies now, a flight engineer will come around to each class and talk to the hopeful engineers. My Fundies instructor is a flight engineer and will be my BFE instructor. He is from C-5s and we also had a helo engineer come and talk to us. Anyway they gave us a small idea of what's open right now or not. I will get a better idea once I get into BFE during the middle of this month.

YaKkO
09-07-2011, 01:28 AM
From what I've seen being in Fundies now, a flight engineer will come around to each class and talk to the hopeful engineers. My Fundies instructor is a flight engineer and will be my BFE instructor. He is from C-5s and we also had a helo engineer come and talk to us. Anyway they gave us a small idea of what's open right now or not. I will get a better idea once I get into BFE during the middle of this month.

I can tell you that you wont go to AWACS if that helps. They just closed down the school house last week due to manning issues.

Nate3715
09-08-2011, 11:09 AM
Alright everybody, don't laugh at my question, but...Can anyone tell me if the 1042 is good for 1yr or 2yrs? I've heard both answers and went through the AFI, but couldn't find the reference. I had my initial flight physical done on 22 dec 2010 so I know that's good for 2 yrs. Isn't the 1042 tied to that and expire when the physical does? Any help on this would be awesome!

Chriscorbine
09-08-2011, 05:15 PM
Alright everybody, don't laugh at my question, but...Can anyone tell me if the 1042 is good for 1yr or 2yrs? I've heard both answers and went through the AFI, but couldn't find the reference. I had my initial flight physical done on 22 dec 2010 so I know that's good for 2 yrs. Isn't the 1042 tied to that and expire when the physical does? Any help on this would be awesome!

Its 2 years.. Look about 2/3 of the way down on the form right above where the doc signed it, on the left side. It has an expiration date.

Chriscorbine
09-08-2011, 05:16 PM
Starting Fundies tomorrow anyone else out there?

Nate3715
09-08-2011, 05:29 PM
Got it, somehow I missed it. Thanks!

Nate3715
09-08-2011, 05:45 PM
I was going to be in the Sep 9 class, but they changed me to the Sep 30 one. Hey Chris, you prior PMEL? I'm at the Eglin lab with Dilick and Akin and they said that you were x-training to FE. I don't know about you, but I'm done with PMEL and ready try something new!

Chriscorbine
09-08-2011, 07:42 PM
I was going to be in the Sep 9 class, but they changed me to the Sep 30 one. Hey Chris, you prior PMEL? I'm at the Eglin lab with Dilick and Akin and they said that you were x-training to FE. I don't know about you, but I'm done with PMEL and ready try something new!

Yep.. Worked with both of those guys.. Tell'um I said Whats Up... I'm ready to get out of PMEL. PMEL treated be alright, can't complain to much. Its just not the kind of job I can get excited about, its a nice steady job, not really what I want.. That sucks they switched ya. See ya in 2-3 weeks then.

YaKkO
09-08-2011, 08:54 PM

Just so you know the 2 years starts when they sign that 1042. Not when they accomplished the actual physical.

Not sure if you understand that or not so I'm just lettin ya know.

Nate3715
09-08-2011, 10:30 PM
Just so you know the 2 years starts when they sign that 1042. Not when they accomplished the actual physical.

Not sure if you understand that or not so I'm just lettin ya know.
Appreciate it, I should be gtg since it's dated 22 December 2010

YaKkO
09-08-2011, 10:56 PM
Appreciate it, I should be gtg since it's dated 22 December 2010

Even though you are good for application purposes keep in mind the intent of the 2 years is to be able to get you though the pipeline without coming due for a physical.

If yours is dated 22 Dec 2010 that puts you at 22 Dec 2012 which sounds far off but it's really not. Back in IQT we had a guy come due in the middle of training and not only was it stressful for him to possibly fail a portion before he was check ride complete it was a scheduling issue when the schoolhouse is trying to run you though all your flights and get you to the line.

I'm not sure if its even possible to do but If I was you I would visit your friendly local Flight Medicine Clinic and see of they can use the Form 942(I think that's that form that they actually accomplish the physical with, correct me if I'm wrong because its been a while) and create a new retraining 1042 for ya?

Again I'm not even sure if that's possible but it might be worth while for ya.

/rant lol

Nate3715
09-09-2011, 01:23 AM
Yep.. Worked with both of those guys.. Tell'um I said Whats Up... I'm ready to get out of PMEL. PMEL treated be alright, can't complain to much. Its just not the kind of job I can get excited about, its a nice steady job, not really what I want.. That sucks they switched ya. See ya in 2-3 weeks then.
Yeah we don't really do anything exciting; pretty much a 9 to 5 type job. I'll tell Akin and Dilick what's up for you, Hickey too. What airframe you looking to get? Good luck tomorrow!

Chriscorbine
09-09-2011, 01:59 AM
Yeah we don't really do anything exciting; pretty much a 9 to 5 type job. I'll tell Akin and Dilick what's up for you, Hickey too. What airframe you looking to get? Good luck tomorrow!

From what I've read we won't know for another month or so. Thanks... See ya in a couple of weeks...

Nate3715
09-09-2011, 02:37 AM
Even though you are good for application purposes keep in mind the intent of the 2 years is to be able to get you though the pipeline without coming due for a physical.

If yours is dated 22 Dec 2010 that puts you at 22 Dec 2012 which sounds far off but it's really not. Back in IQT we had a guy come due in the middle of training and not only was it stressful for him to possibly fail a portion before he was check ride complete it was a scheduling issue when the schoolhouse is trying to run you though all your flights and get you to the line.

I'm not sure if its even possible to do but If I was you I would visit your friendly local Flight Medicine Clinic and see of they can use the Form 942(I think that's that form that they actually accomplish the physical with, correct me if I'm wrong because its been a while) and create a new retraining 1042 for ya?

Again I'm not even sure if that's possible but it might be worth while for ya.

/rant lol
Thanks for the heads up, I thought about waltzing over to flight med to get it updated just to be safe. How are you liking Awacs?

YaKkO
09-09-2011, 04:15 PM
Thanks for the heads up, I thought about waltzing over to flight med to get it updated just to be safe. How are you liking Awacs?

It has its ups and downs man. Overall good though.

An instructor told me once when I was in training that he hates his job until he gets to the hammerhead (The end of the runway prior to take-off). I have to agree 100%. But at the end of the day I love the choice I made to go FE and wouldn't go back. It has got to be regardless of what anyone tells you one of the top 3 enlisted jobs in the Air Force. Job satisfaction is enormous.

ashtnn
09-09-2011, 04:20 PM
So it looks like I'll have to put off submitting a package for quite some time now. Tasked to head to iraq in january, coupled with pre-deployment training beforehand, and lacklands inane 8-10 week waiting list for a fucking phone call to schedule a flight physical means that I probably won't get one till close to the end of next year. Kind of irritating, but that's the way they do it here. I had thought about calling over to Randolph but I don't think that would result any better. I went to optometry last week to get my vision checked(was worried about my depth perception) and the doc said that they lost 1/3rd of their manning at flight med here because when the AF looks at that aspect, they take into account the flying mission of the base. Lackland doesn't have much of a flight mission, but processes a metric fuckton of trainees and retrainees like my self, resulting in an enormous workload for a small amount of people. Ahhhh, I love the decision makers.

YaKkO
09-09-2011, 07:25 PM
So it looks like I'll have to put off submitting a package for quite some time now. Tasked to head to iraq in january, coupled with pre-deployment training beforehand, and lacklands inane 8-10 week waiting list for a fucking phone call to schedule a flight physical means that I probably won't get one till close to the end of next year. Kind of irritating, but that's the way they do it here. I had thought about calling over to Randolph but I don't think that would result any better. I went to optometry last week to get my vision checked(was worried about my depth perception) and the doc said that they lost 1/3rd of their manning at flight med here because when the AF looks at that aspect, they take into account the flying mission of the base. Lackland doesn't have much of a flight mission, but processes a metric fuckton of trainees and retrainees like my self, resulting in an enormous workload for a small amount of people. Ahhhh, I love the decision makers.

Fuck that, do what you can right now. There is no reason that you cannot pursue a spot while deployed. Get that physical started or at least scheduled as long as you can get in before you leave. I cant picture them not having a slot open for the next 4 moths man....

ashtnn
09-09-2011, 10:54 PM
Fuck that, do what you can right now. There is no reason that you cannot pursue a spot while deployed. Get that physical started or at least scheduled as long as you can get in before you leave. I cant picture them not having a slot open for the next 4 moths man....

Yeah I've been on the waiting list since early last month. My issue is that I'll be doing SERE for the first week of October, then from the first week of November to mid December I'll be out of state doing some other training that will make getting a phone call hard. So I probably wouldnt get a chance if my luck plays out till mid October or right before I leave in November. If I don't answer when they call, I go to the bottom of the list. Maybe I can call when I'm close to returning but as it stands right now, it looks like it'll take just short of a miracle to get one before I leave. The way that system works is fucking bogus.

Nate3715
09-13-2011, 02:35 AM
From what I've read we won't know for another month or so. Thanks... See ya in a couple of weeks...
Hey Chris, how are you liking the first week of Fundies?? Did you end up stayin at the Gateway or Kelly?

theyard
09-15-2011, 01:21 AM
So Fundamentals is done. We lost one NPS airman when we tested yesterday and then did chamber
academics today. We go play in the chamber tomorrow which will be fun and finally start the actual flight engineer stuff on Friday. I know we fill out our dream sheet on friday so I'll let you guys know what I
hear about openings and what not. Although, I have heard so far that KC-10s need people and they're
always looking for people to go CV-22 but you gotta be shit hot if you want them. Also, word is if you get CV-22s they will send you to some army base for a basic helicopter course cause of the high washout
rate. They also said since the new fiscal year is coming up they should get the new slots and know more about openings.

Golther
09-15-2011, 02:16 AM
It has its ups and downs man. Overall good though.

It's got a orbit too right?

YaKkO
09-15-2011, 09:20 PM
It's got a orbit too right?

Yeah can't forget about the orbit lol

Turkey9186
09-16-2011, 04:38 AM
Back to the waiting game...physical and waiver package have been sitting on an individuals desk since the first of August. Package is incomplete because athe chest x-ray I was told was not needed is needed. Of course the person is out on disability and is the only one in the office that can help me.....
I did find out if I can start flying again before Oct 15th next year I will not need to go to Kelly and can re-qualify here!

SSeymore
09-19-2011, 04:16 PM
Anyone have blank TOLD cards for the CV-22 or Bold face shit?

YaKkO
09-19-2011, 08:53 PM
Anyone have blank TOLD cards for the CV-22 or Bold face shit?

I will bet you my left nut that no one is going to give you this.

If you are asking to get it so that you can be ahead of the power curve going into IQT I would say just chill and wait till you get to class man. I know you think that you are good to go because you did some in BFE but all OG's have there own rules and Regs to go along with how they want to do told.

That is assuming that you want it for the above reasons....

afmeekins
09-19-2011, 09:50 PM
Has anyone heard if class dates for Fundies and BFE came out this month yet. Just wondering what the typical waiting period is from status 5 to having class dates.

theyard
09-19-2011, 10:24 PM
Has anyone heard if class dates for Fundies and BFE came out this month yet. Just wondering what the typical waiting period is from status 5 to having class dates.

Not sure of your situation, but I'm a first term airman and from the day I had status 5, it was 2 weeks exactly and I had class dates. It more than likely varies though.

YaKkO
09-19-2011, 10:52 PM

There is no "Typical" wait time. It varies with everyone. It's not even the same person that assigns class dates to members. It honestly depends on your case worker and how up to snuff they are. It can be an hour and it can take a month.

afmeekins
09-19-2011, 11:14 PM
Thanks, that makes sense. Yea I was just wondering since I received my status 5 on the 1st Sept, and its been a couple of weeks.

YaKkO
09-20-2011, 02:12 AM
Thanks, that makes sense. Yea I was just wondering since I received my status 5 on the 1st Sept, and its been a couple of weeks.

Do you have the name of the CEA Recruiter? If you need it I can PM you the name so that you can email him. He can usually pimp the powers that be and make something happen.

Nate3715
09-20-2011, 05:21 PM
I'm so stoked, after waiting for what seemed like forever Im finally heading down to Lackland next Thursday! Anyone else starting next Friday?

jasongrant
09-20-2011, 09:42 PM
Finally got Stat 6!!! Will be heading down to Lackland on 2 Dec. Anyone else starting in December?

afmeekins
09-20-2011, 09:43 PM
Wish I was, but I did find out today that I start class on the 28th of Oct.

theyard
09-20-2011, 09:55 PM
Wish I was, but I did find out today that I start class on the 28th of Oct.

Damn, that's my BFE grad date.

soular
09-21-2011, 10:41 PM
Cross training has been a bit of a nightmare for me. I'm not going for flight engineer, but I had to get a flight physical. I started the process as soon as the FY12 quotas dropped beginning of April. I still haven't been accepted. 3rd board next month...wish me luck. I'm going to be way pissed if I get denied because there is no reason that I should. My career field is overmanned and there are slots still available for what I want. It's just going to be way upsetting if I get denied because ever since I joined people have been telling me how easy it is to cross train as a FTA and how you are guaranteed a different job and blah blah blah. This is how the AF loses good people...

YaKkO
09-21-2011, 11:03 PM
Cross training has been a bit of a nightmare for me. I'm not going for flight engineer, but I had to get a flight physical. I started the process as soon as the FY12 quotas dropped beginning of April. I still haven't been accepted. 3rd board next month...wish me luck. I'm going to be way pissed if I get denied because there is no reason that I should. My career field is overmanned and there are slots still available for what I want. It's just going to be way upsetting if I get denied because ever since I joined people have been telling me how easy it is to cross train as a FTA and how you are guaranteed a different job and blah blah blah. This is how the AF loses good people...

R u gonna squirt some tears? I feel like you wanna?

Theres no crying in

Max Power
09-22-2011, 02:56 AM

How many jobs did you put on your request? Limiting it to 1 or 2 will greatly decrease your chances of being selected as a FTA. If someone told you otherwise, you've been setup for failure.

soular
09-22-2011, 08:59 AM
R u gonna squirt some tears? I feel like you wanna?

Theres no crying in
At times I do.

I put down 5 jobs on my list. 1 I ended up being ineligible for, 1 I didn't finish all the paperwork for (contracting), so that left 3 for the boards, but one already filled up so that leaves me with 2, space systems and cyber surety. I don't understand why it would make *that* much of a difference to have more choices on there. There are slots open, there is nothing wrong with my package, so why wouldn't I get chosen for one of the open jobs?

imported_DannyJ
09-22-2011, 10:24 AM
At times I do.

I put down 5 jobs on my list. 1 I ended up being ineligible for, 1 I didn't finish all the paperwork for (contracting), so that left 3 for the boards, but one already filled up so that leaves me with 2, space systems and cyber surety. I don't understand why it would *that* make a difference to have more choices on there. There are slots open, there is nothing wrong with my package, so why wouldn't I get chosen for one of the open jobs?

Not what I hear... HA! Sorry that whole sentance left you wide open. Open slots, packages...

soular
09-22-2011, 10:43 AM
Bah humbug.

jasongrant
09-23-2011, 09:29 PM
just curious...apparently i got all of my class dates, including the ones for water parachuting. it says on vMPF that i got water survival non parachuting. Does this mean that i will be on a helicopter or do i still have to wait until i find out what airframe i get to know which parachuting class ill be taking?

afmeekins
09-24-2011, 12:04 AM
I'm not sure about that, I was scheduled for the same class when I recieved my status 6 this week.

jasongrant
09-24-2011, 01:23 AM
my feeling is that its some kind of "pre-schedule" until you know what airframe your on, but i obviously could be wrong.

theyard
09-24-2011, 01:37 AM
just curious...apparently i got all of my class dates, including the ones for water parachuting. it says on vMPF that i got water survival non parachuting. Does this mean that i will be on a helicopter or do i still have to wait until i find out what airframe i get to know which parachuting class ill be taking?

I thought the same thing when I got my dates but the instructors here told me that it's just a place holder. Although we got told that everyone has been getting their 1st or 2nd choice so you have a pretty good chance of getting what you want, especially with the new fiscal year starting. Fundies is a joke and the first 2 blocks of BFE are pretty easy. I start block 3 on Monday and you don't get your assignment until you pass block 5.

soular
09-24-2011, 06:15 AM
I'm not sure about that, I was scheduled for the same class when I recieved my status 6 this week.
You got your status 6 this week? Wtf are they doing with my package? I bet they are using it as a door mat.

YaKkO
09-24-2011, 06:22 PM
I thought the same thing when I got my dates but the instructors here told me that it's just a place holder. Although we got told that everyone has been getting their 1st or 2nd choice so you have a pretty good chance of getting what you want, especially with the new fiscal year starting. Fundies is a joke and the first 2 blocks of BFE are pretty easy. I start block 3 on Monday and you don't get your assignment until you pass block 5.

You just jinxed the fuck outta yourself lol. And that fiscal year thing is BS. Just so ya know.

They dont give a crap what you want.

YaKkO
09-24-2011, 06:25 PM

Non Parachuting means your gonna be assigned to AWACS, JSTARS etc.

jasongrant
09-24-2011, 07:07 PM
Non Parachuting means your gonna be assigned to AWACS, JSTARS etc.

i understand that, but the reason im asking is because i jus did a BOP in conjunction with retraining(on fixed wing) and i was wondering if it was possible that my water classes are "pre-scheduled" cuz i dont know what airframe im on or am i jus gonna get assigned to AWACS, JSTARS regardless?

YaKkO
09-24-2011, 07:12 PM
i understand that, but the reason im asking is because i jus did a BOP in conjunction with retraining(on fixed wing) and i was wondering if it was possible that my water classes are "pre-scheduled" cuz i dont know what airframe im on or am i jus gonna get assigned to AWACS, JSTARS regardless?

Where'd you do a BOP to?

jasongrant
09-24-2011, 07:14 PM

thanks for the info. and good luck to you in class!

jasongrant
09-24-2011, 07:21 PM
Where'd you do a BOP to?

dover, travis, mcguire

YaKkO
09-28-2011, 12:15 AM
dover, travis, mcguire

Ahh the KC-10's. Are you single?? Because if not you will be lol

jasongrant
09-28-2011, 12:29 AM
Ahh the KC-10's. Are you single?? Because if not you will be lol

well the c-5's as well, im currently at dover and would like to stay, but ill go anywhere that takes 2A out of my AFSC

jasongrant
09-28-2011, 12:30 AM
and yes im single lol, i already know how its gonna be

YaKkO
09-28-2011, 12:38 AM
well the c-5's as well, im currently at dover and would like to stay, but ill go anywhere that takes 2A out of my AFSC

Yeah +1 on the 2A part lol.

Yeah I've just heard non-stop bad things about the KC-10 deployments. From what I've heard its 2 months out and 2 months back so you just never really get a break. Plus all the home station BS.

jasongrant
09-28-2011, 01:07 AM
sounds better than 6 on 6 off...what airframe you on Yakko? how you like it?

BigBaze
09-28-2011, 01:28 AM
Yeah +1 on the 2A part lol.

Yeah I've just heard non-stop bad things about the KC-10 deployments. From what I've heard its 2 months out and 2 months back so you just never really get a break. Plus all the home station BS.

Constantly gone between 7 days a week training missions...cargo and fighter drags plus special DV missions..2 months at Dhafra..one month supporting Libya...and repeat...

YaKkO
09-28-2011, 01:41 AM
Constantly gone between 7 days a week training missions...cargo and fighter drags plus special DV missions..2 months at Dhafra..one month supporting Libya...and repeat...

Yeah screw that man. I'll take my fat slow pig haha

YaKkO
09-28-2011, 01:44 AM
sounds better than 6 on 6 off...what airframe you on Yakko? how you like it?

Im an AWACS guy. Its alright. It is what you make of it. Some dudes hate it and other love it. As far as flight crew goes its a blast. Aft of the bulkhead it starts to get a lil ghey.

If I recall you are at BFE right? We have a guy that just left us a few months ago to go to the COE...TSgt type, name starts with a F lol (I don't wanna put his name on the web). If you are curious just talk to him. He won't BS ya.

jasongrant
09-28-2011, 02:05 AM
nah i will be on 2 Dec for fundies, than 4 Jan for BFE...gotta do ALS first than im out! its always the last 30-60 days before PCS'in or TDY or retrainin that are the longest!

jasongrant
09-28-2011, 02:34 AM
I dont have all the answers, but for anyone that is a First Term Airman, if you got any questions, feel free to ask!

theyard
09-28-2011, 10:26 PM
Im an AWACS guy. Its alright. It is what you make of it. Some dudes hate it and other love it. As far as flight crew goes its a blast. Aft of the bulkhead it starts to get a lil ghey.

If I recall you are at BFE right? We have a guy that just left us a few months ago to go to the COE...TSgt type, name starts with a F lol (I don't wanna put his name on the web). If you are curious just talk to him. He won't BS ya.

Yakko, you know a 1A3 SSgt whose name that starts with a C? Just wondering cause he is in my class for FE. Anyway, he wants anything but Tinker and AWACS.

YaKkO
09-29-2011, 12:06 AM
Yakko, you know a 1A3 SSgt whose name that starts with a C? Just wondering cause he is in my class for FE. Anyway, he wants anything but Tinker and AWACS.

That's because he's a douche that thinks he's entitled to something. That's the problem with non-retrainee Aircrew. From day one outside of Tech School they are treated like Kings and Queen within there respective AFSC. Just ask one of em if they even know what weekend duty is....

Here's the thing man. Everyone is always gonna have something they don't like about Tinker. The only ones that you should give a crap about are from the people whop actually have experienced life outside of AWACS. They don't know how good they have it. Most of these dudes wouldn't be happy anywhere that you send them.

theyard
09-29-2011, 12:23 AM
He said he was just tired of sitting in the back and wanted to do something new on a different aircraft. He also said he had no problem with Tinker just wanted something different.

BigBaze
09-29-2011, 01:51 AM
Yeah screw that man. I'll take my fat slow pig haha
Overall I do love Big Sexy. You out at the Dirty Dhafra lately?

jasongrant
09-29-2011, 02:20 AM
Hey Big Baze, how do you like(or dont like) the KC-10's? What's the deployment rate like? What base are you currently stationed at?

YaKkO
09-29-2011, 02:52 AM
Overall I do love Big Sexy. You out at the Dirty Dhafra lately?

Headed over in November. Ugh.

ashtnn
09-29-2011, 07:11 PM
Got the call today for a flight physical. I called the guy at like 11ish and he said he was calling people and so far the first 6 people hadn't answered and told me to stay by my phone. Called me an hour later to tell me I got an appointment. Thankfully he had friday open as I have SERE monday-thursday for this deployment. Getting this scheduled in the midst of all the pre-deployment TDY training and shit is nothing short of a miracle to me. So excited!

YaKkO
09-29-2011, 08:35 PM
Got the call today for a flight physical. I called the guy at like 11ish and he said he was calling people and so far the first 6 people hadn't answered and told me to stay by my phone. Called me an hour later to tell me I got an appointment. Thankfully he had friday open as I have SERE monday-thursday for this deployment. Getting this scheduled in the midst of all the pre-deployment TDY training and shit is nothing short of a miracle to me. So excited!

Good luck man!

BigBaze
09-29-2011, 10:40 PM
Headed over in November. Ugh.

I'm leaving first week of Nov allegedly but we'll see about that

YaKkO
09-29-2011, 10:46 PM
I'm leaving first week of Nov allegedly but we'll see about that

Leaving or coming back?

BigBaze
09-29-2011, 10:48 PM
Hey Big Baze, how do you like(or dont like) the KC-10's? What's the deployment rate like? What base are you currently stationed at?

I am at McGuire. The deployments are not long because there is a cap on our flying hours which is 330 in 90 days in CONUS and waived up to 400 in AFCENT etc. You will easily max that out in our 72 day rotations out here in Dhafra because you can fly from 7 to 14 hours 5 times a week, but that just means you go home for a couple months and come right back out for 72 days. That and you can expect 2 months out in Spain supporting Libya, and mix in 7 day a week training missions at home, cargo missions, fighter drags, Red/Green Flag etc, then we'll fly a lot of DV's around including those goofball Tops in Blues..did I mention we do air shows too?:) Yeah man, the tanker community is getting slammed right now.

The good side is we fly to pretty much nice locations as well as deploying so you are not getting shot at. If you are looking to travel the world, the 10 is a great plane, as well as being a great FE airframe. It is a rewarding job because tankers are used for everything; fighters and most other airframes in the AOR don't do shit without us. I have been on the jet just over 2 and a half years and have over 2000 hours and am an instructor now...I love the jet, and if you like the road it's for you!

YaKkO
09-30-2011, 01:47 AM
I am at McGuire. The deployments are not long because there is a cap on our flying hours which is 330 in 90 days in CONUS and waived up to 400 in AFCENT etc. You will easily max that out in our 72 day rotations out here in Dhafra because you can fly from 7 to 14 hours 5 times a week, but that just means you go home for a couple months and come right back out for 72 days. That and you can expect 2 months out in Spain supporting Libya, and mix in 7 day a week training missions at home, cargo missions, fighter drags, Red/Green Flag etc, then we'll fly a lot of DV's around including those goofball Tops in Blues..did I mention we do air shows too?:) Yeah man, the tanker community is getting slammed right now.

The good side is we fly to pretty much nice locations as well as deploying so you are not getting shot at. If you are looking to travel the world, the 10 is a great plane, as well as being a great FE airframe. It is a rewarding job because tankers are used for everything; fighters and most other airframes in the AOR don't do shit without us. I have been on the jet just over 2 and a half years and have over 2000 hours and am an instructor now...I love the jet, and if you like the road it's for you!

Sounds terrible lol.

bcoco14
09-30-2011, 05:34 AM
Sounds terrible lol.

Yup terrible, right up to the point you are 2-3 travel vouchers behind waiting on your 2 grand in per diem to clear. It's a crappy situation

BigBaze
09-30-2011, 08:42 PM
Leaving or coming back?

going home

jasongrant
10-04-2011, 10:05 AM

Sounds very promising! Thanks for the knowledge and wisdom, very much appreciated!

soular
10-04-2011, 06:56 PM
@BigBaze
I'm not a security manager or anything along those lines, but your first paragraph seems to have a bit too much information on flying schedules...Maybe I'm just being an opsec nazi, but still...

YaKkO
10-04-2011, 10:30 PM
@BigBaze
I'm not a security manager or anything along those lines, but your first paragraph seems to have a bit too much information on flying schedules...Maybe I'm just being an opsec nazi, but still...

Its all from an AFI that you can Google bro. This is the second time someone has brought up the 330 in 90 etc and someone squealed OPSEC....

As far as the deployment locations. Everyone knows where AWACS deploy too. This is also a Google search function.

theyard
10-04-2011, 11:11 PM
Tested block 4 this morning and then started the infamous block 5. We haven't made it that far but right now it just seems like a lot of attention to detail. Kind of happy to get a break from all of the knowledge stuff being thrown at you.

YaKkO
10-04-2011, 11:16 PM
Tested block 4 this morning and then started the infamous block 5. We haven't made it that far but right now it just seems like a lot of attention to detail. Kind of happy to get a break from all of the knowledge stuff being thrown at you.

Block 5 is the easiest block in BFE if you ask me. Just pay attention and don't rush to finish the test. Hell, they give you the answeres on the test. You just gotta run the chart right :loco

But good luck either way.

bcoco14
10-05-2011, 12:17 AM

Well you'll be happy to know that the knowledged based part of the couse is over. From here on out it's all performance based.

theyard
10-05-2011, 02:58 AM
I wish but block 8 is navigation which has some and block 9 is mission planning with some as well. After that we will be done, but I will surely enjoy the break.

bcoco14
10-05-2011, 03:07 AM
I wish but block 8 is navigation which has some and block 9 is mission planning with some as well. After that we will be done, but I will surely enjoy the break.

No, they are both performance based, not running charts but performance none the less. I'll clarify a bit more I'm taking performace as in you need to be able to apply the things you're being taught not just study some stuff in a book and able to regurgitate information.

theyard
10-05-2011, 04:00 AM
No, they are both performance based, not running charts but performance none the less. I'll clarify a bit more I'm taking performace as in you need to be able to apply the things you're being taught not just study some stuff in a book and able to regurgitate information.

Ah gotcha, thanks for the heads up.

YaKkO
10-05-2011, 01:43 PM
Ah gotcha, thanks for the heads up.

Some guys don't take 8 & 9 seriously and it bites them in the ass also. So consider yourself warned.

soular
10-05-2011, 06:54 PM
Its all from an AFI that you can Google bro. This is the second time someone has brought up the 330 in 90 etc and someone squealed OPSEC....

As far as the deployment locations. Everyone knows where AWACS deploy too. This is also a Google search function.
Show me in an AFI where it says how often an AWACS takes off from a certain base, and how many missions each person assigned to that plane flies in a given week at such a deployed location. Show me in an AFI where it says where the plane will be stationed to support missions in Libya. There are *no* AFIs that say any of this. I'm not familiar with flying AFIs, but I'm assuming what they outline is the max hours that people can fly at home station and deployed locations. And people can use google to search for information like that because people like you put the information out there. I understand that you didn't put extreme specifics in your post, but it's just pieces of the puzzle. Think about it.

bcoco14
10-05-2011, 08:58 PM
Show me in an AFI where it says how often an AWACS takes off from a certain base, and how many missions each person assigned to that plane flies in a given week at such a deployed location. Show me in an AFI where it says where the plane will be stationed to support missions in Libya. There are *no* AFIs that say any of this. I'm not familiar with flying AFIs, but I'm assuming what they outline is the max hours that people can fly at home station and deployed locations. And people can use google to search for information like that because people like you put the information out there. I understand that you didn't put extreme specifics in your post, but it's just pieces of the puzzle. Think about it.

I was able to google just about everything that was posted in the "offensive" post. Most of the information was on AF websites some of it was other websites, AFIs are accessible through e-pubs you can find anything you want from there, to include training requirements. The AF obviously doesn't care that that info is accessible if they did then it wouldn't be available to the public.

YaKkO
10-05-2011, 09:20 PM
I was able to google just about everything that was posted in the "offensive" post. Most of the information was on AF websites some of it was other websites, AFIs are accessible through e-pubs you can find anything you want from there, to include training requirements. The AF obviously doesn't care that that info is accessible if they did then it wouldn't be available to the public.

You beat me to it. Well done.

soular
10-05-2011, 09:20 PM
Show me links. I know that AFIs are available online. I didn't say that the whole post was completely too much info, just some of it *may be*. If you guys can't recognize this, then maybe you need to speak with your supervision and see what they say about it. Maybe I'm overreacting, maybe I'm not. Better safe than sorry eh?

bcoco14
10-05-2011, 10:29 PM
Show me links.

Sorry, I'm not going to do your homework for you. It's out there if you really care to look for it.

soular
10-05-2011, 10:34 PM
I figured you say that. I don't really care to look for it, I'm not a terrorist.

bcoco14
10-05-2011, 10:46 PM
I figured you say that. I don't really care to look for it, I'm not a terrorist.

Good, now this thread can go back to it's intended purpose.

theyard
10-05-2011, 11:03 PM
Some guys don't take 8 & 9 seriously and it bites them in the ass also. So consider yourself warned.

I could see why, but there hasn't been a test yet that I haven't taken seriously and there won't be. All 3 classes tested yesterday, and we were the only class without fails. The class ahead tested block 5 and had 2 fails, those guys are gone. That class alone has had fails in blocks 3, 4, and 5. The class behind tested block 1 and had a guy fail. We are the only class that is still going strong without any fails so far. So I am definitely going to take every test seriously.

YaKkO
10-06-2011, 01:28 AM
I could see why, but there hasn't been a test yet that I haven't taken seriously and there won't be. All 3 classes tested yesterday, and we were the only class without fails. The class ahead tested block 5 and had 2 fails, those guys are gone. That class alone has had fails in blocks 3, 4, and 5. The class behind tested block 1 and had a guy fail. We are the only class that is still going strong without any fails so far. So I am definitely going to take every test seriously.

A lot of it has to do with how well the class works together. Individuals don't work well in that course lol. IQT it works but not 3-Level school!

jasongrant
10-06-2011, 11:56 PM
how many blocks are there in BFE?

bcoco14
10-07-2011, 12:01 AM

There are nine.

theyard
10-07-2011, 01:49 AM

They're getting rid of block 2 but not exactly sure when, I THINK the class that just took it was the last one to have it.

YaKkO
10-07-2011, 08:34 PM
They're getting rid of block 2 but not exactly sure when, I THINK the class that just took it was the last one to have it.

Thats the one with Helo crap right?

theyard
10-07-2011, 08:57 PM
It has all the defensive systems, all the guns, and survival and rescue stuff. It took barely over a day to teach.

codyjamesp
10-11-2011, 08:08 PM
How long is the class date wait typically after being approved for FE?
Also in total, how long is everything leading up to your first duty station typically?

YaKkO
10-11-2011, 08:35 PM
Also in total, how long is everything leading up to your first duty station typically?

Okay, normally I will answer everything as best as I can when new guys post questions in this thread. But really? Man, both of these questions have been answered at least 100 times in the last 50 pages.

Spend twenty minutes and figure it out bro. You might even answer a bunch of questions that you have that you haven't even thought to ask yet.

codyjamesp
10-11-2011, 10:27 PM
Okay, normally I will answer everything as best as I can when new guys post questions in this thread. But really? Man, both of these questions have been answered at least 100 times in the last 50 pages.

Spend twenty minutes and figure it out bro. You might even answer a bunch of questions that you have that you haven't even thought to ask yet.

I realized that when I posted this, but I figured searching for something like through 350 pages is difficult considering people word the question different every time. But Ill just search I suppose.

jasongrant
10-12-2011, 05:22 PM

I can give you a bit of background on me, although the truest answer is that itll all depend on the person...i offically started my FTA application in april, took a few months to get my 422, 1042 and 2808 all squared away then offically submitted my COMPLETE app aug 31st. it just so happen that the "board" caught my app for the last duty day of the month and approved it (Stat 5) on the 1st of sept. Then this is where it gets tricky. depending on who your CEA advisor is, he/she can either do their job quicky and correctly or not do it at all. mine personally contacted me and wanted to put me in a class as soon as humanly possible so we arranged for 2 dec for aircrew undergrad, then 4 jan for BFE fundies...so for me the wait was 3 weeks for ur first question, but the answer to your 2nd questions depends on intangibles, such as if u can catch the rest of your classes RIGHT after graduating fundies, if you got anything else to do (i have to go to ALS), outprocessing ur losing unit, etc. Hope this helps

YaKkO
10-12-2011, 06:33 PM
I can give you a bit of background on me, although the truest answer is that itll all depend on the person...i offically started my FTA application in april, took a few months to get my 422, 1042 and 2808 all squared away then offically submitted my COMPLETE app aug 31st. it just so happen that the "board" caught my app for the last duty day of the month and approved it (Stat 5) on the 1st of sept. Then this is where it gets tricky. depending on who your CEA advisor is, he/she can either do their job quicky and correctly or not do it at all. mine personally contacted me and wanted to put me in a class as soon as humanly possible so we arranged for 2 dec for aircrew undergrad, then 4 jan for BFE fundies...so for me the wait was 3 weeks for ur first question, but the answer to your 2nd questions depends on intangibles, such as if u can catch the rest of your classes RIGHT after graduating fundies, if you got anything else to do (i have to go to ALS), outprocessing ur losing unit, etc. Hope this helps

It more has to do with when your IQT date is. That is the date driving everything else.

jasongrant
10-12-2011, 07:30 PM
It more has to do with when your IQT date is. That is the date driving everything else.

But isn't that also dependant on what airframe your on?

YaKkO
10-12-2011, 07:41 PM
But isn't that also dependant on what airframe your on?

Sure I suppose. But if you get AWACS for instance everything you just said above will be out the window.

jasongrant
10-12-2011, 07:48 PM
Sure I suppose. But if you get AWACS for instance everything you just said above will be out the window.

good point.

afmeekins
10-12-2011, 08:08 PM
jasongrant, I believe I saw on here that your stationed at Dover. I'm also at Dover currently, would of been nice if your class was for the end of this month, that's when I have my first class; could've driven down together.

On a side note, has anyone driven down to Lackland, flown up to Fairchild for water survival, and then back to Lackland to drive back to home station?

YaKkO
10-12-2011, 08:11 PM
jasongrant, I believe I saw on here that your stationed at Dover. I'm also at Dover currently, would of been nice if your class was for the end of this month, that's when I have my first class; could've driven down together.

On a side note, has anyone driven down to Lackland, flown up to Fairchild for water survival, and then back to Lackland to drive back to home station?

I know a lot of people that have wanted to do this but if you don't have immediate SERE dates and stuff this will not work.

I don't mean to be a Debbie Downer but just keep that in mind.

afmeekins
10-12-2011, 08:15 PM
I've already been scheduled for the water survival school (the 2 day course) and its the monday after graduation of BFE.

YaKkO
10-12-2011, 08:22 PM
I've already been scheduled for the water survival school (the 2 day course) and its the monday after graduation of BFE.

I would talk with Formal Training then and see if it's aloud.

afmeekins
10-12-2011, 08:25 PM
I would talk with Formal Training then and see if it's aloud.

Yea I've spoken to them about it and seems to be all fine. I was just wondering if anyone else had done a similar travel plan.

kel5431
10-12-2011, 10:25 PM
My husband just got put on C130s and we will be PCSing to Pope. Does anyone have experience or info on any of the following?

1. What can we expect his flying pattern to be when not deployed?
- Will his schedule be different each week or will he be given a schedule for 2-3 weeks out?
- Can we plan on him being gone for a few days and then home for a few days?

2. Would he be doing regular drops in the Middle East or usually only on deployments over there?
- Do you qualify for combat or hostile fire pay if doing occasional drops or just when deployed in the region?
- Do you qualify for hardship duty pay?

3. Are you given proportional meal per diem when doing your regular days of flying or expected to eat at chow halls when you land?
- In the case of chow halls are you given any per diem for that or is that included in your BAS?

4. Are you given proportional or possible full rate meal per diem while training at Little Rock?

YaKkO
10-13-2011, 02:43 AM
My husband just got put on C130s and we will be PCSing to Pope. Does anyone have experience or info on any of the following?

- Will his schedule be different each week or will he be given a schedule for 2-3 weeks out?
- Can we plan on him being gone for a few days and then home for a few days?

2. Would he be doing regular drops in the Middle East or usually only on deployments over there?
- Do you qualify for combat or hostile fire pay if doing occasional drops or just when deployed in the region?
- Do you qualify for hardship duty pay?

3. Are you given proportional meal per diem when doing your regular days of flying or expected to eat at chow halls when you land?
- In the case of chow halls are you given any per diem for that or is that included in your BAS?

4. Are you given proportional or possible full rate meal per diem while training at Little Rock?

There's is a Eng that is at Pope on here somewhere. Just need him to see this and your golden.

theyard
10-13-2011, 04:41 PM
Whole class just passed block 5 with no problems, 4 more blocks and 2 weeks to go. Should here something on assignments today or tomorrow.

imported_ANALYST
10-14-2011, 12:01 AM
Did someone say POPE?

- Will his schedule be different each week or will he be given a schedule for 2-3 weeks out? (It will change each week once he is Mission Ready, otherwise it will be a mix while he is still in INDOC)
- Can we plan on him being gone for a few days and then home for a few days? (Well he will be home for the most part, but we get our share of TDYs (3-4 day trips)

2. Would he be doing regular drops in the Middle East or usually only on deployments over there? (Only Deployed)
- Do you qualify for combat or hostile fire pay if doing occasional drops or just when deployed in the region? (Deployed)
- Do you qualify for hardship duty pay? (Not Sure)

3. Are you given proportional meal per diem when doing your regular days of flying or expected to eat at chow halls when you land? ( Are you talking TDY or just flying the flag pole? If he is married, there will be no forced chow hall visits)
- In the case of chow halls are you given any per diem for that or is that included in your BAS? (PM me for this)

4. Are you given proportional or possible full rate meal per diem while training at Little Rock? (PM me for this)

rodney120985
10-14-2011, 02:24 AM
i have a friend who has put in to cross train into this, he was wanting to know what aircraft he would have the possiblites to get on. Anybody know.

username?
10-16-2011, 07:24 PM
i have a friend who has put in to cross train into this, he was wanting to know what aircraft he would have the possiblites to get on. Anybody know.

couple of fixed wings, couple of helos. Why isn't your friend asking these questions?

YaKkO
10-16-2011, 08:05 PM
couple of fixed wings, couple of helos. Why isn't your friend asking these questions?

No shit man, I was thinking the same thing lol

theyard
10-17-2011, 05:36 PM
Got our "unofficial" assignments over the weekend. They're waiting on class dates to make them official, but I am suppose to be going to Malmstrom AFB on Hueys. We graduate next week and I can't wait, feels like I've been here forever.