PDA

View Full Version : Flight Engineer retraining

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17

zuke314
04-07-2010, 03:18 AM
Thx for the info Zuke. The end of the wait is in sight for you though. Gotta be a damn good feeling! What is your AFSC? I'm a 2A671, which required an ETP.

I kinda figured they were swamped, but damn! It took you nearly 3 months just to get final approval. If that is the going rate...then I'm looking at the end of May/first of June. No kidding this is one long drawn out process. If ya count the day I originally wanted to make this move, I'm going on 6 years in the making. I applied while at Ramstein back in 04, but my DEROS assignment popped up in the system. Then tried again in 07, had stuff in my med records that raised a flag. The flight physical fiasco is the worst part of the entire process. Maybe that is why I am getting a bit impatient here...Now here I am...finally...with my app at AFPC.

Just hoping to get some good news any day now.....

The flight phys is definatly a bit of a pain. Mine took about 3 months from start to finish, that was with a few waivers though. My AFSC is 2A673, no waiver required. You're a props guy and needed a etp?
More like 5 months to get approval. Pretty pumped to finally have a class date and get this ball rolling

Best of luck to you Strangeluv

turbotyme7
04-07-2010, 03:50 AM
yakko,

how was TOLD, have you done that part yet? just wondering if it is all it's cracked up to be

YaKkO
04-07-2010, 05:24 PM
yakko,

how was TOLD, have you done that part yet? just wondering if it is all it's cracked up to be

TOLD is a bitch man. We are only on day 2 and about 2-3 days is where is clicks is what they say.

So far its not that bad but don't take it lightly. IMO Block IV was the hardest block thus far.

strangeluv8
04-07-2010, 06:36 PM
The flight phys is definatly a bit of a pain. Mine took about 3 months from start to finish, that was with a few waivers though. My AFSC is 2A673, no waiver required. You're a props guy and needed a etp?
More like 5 months to get approval. Pretty pumped to finally have a class date and get this ball rolling

Best of luck to you Strangeluv

Yup, we are "balanced restricted". Just got off the phone with AFPC. Due to my app being an ETP, it had to be sent to Air Staff at the Pentagon in order for them to release me from my current career field. It was sent up there on 9 Mar. They are telling me this could take 90-120 days just to get approval. What a downer! Guess I will have to wait patiently.....

Thx, good luck to you as well Zuke.

zuke314
04-07-2010, 11:44 PM
Yup, we are "balanced restricted". Just got off the phone with AFPC. Due to my app being an ETP, it had to be sent to Air Staff at the Pentagon in order for them to release me from my current career field. It was sent up there on 9 Mar. They are telling me this could take 90-120 days just to get approval. What a downer! Guess I will have to wait patiently.....

Thx, good luck to you as well Zuke.

Strangeluv
I also had to get that ETP to get out of my career field. It took my shop chief calling AFPC retraining to get past that step. They told my shop chief it could still take 60-90 days but yet 2 hrs later I had approval and class dates. I dont know if my package was under some papers or what but they pushed me through real quick after that phone call.

KC10
04-08-2010, 03:07 AM
anybody start fundies on 16 april??

Me.

Staying at Gateway.
My base formal training office was able to "find room" there, so I had to cancel my Kelly reservation.

Oh well. Still getting out of mx [assuming I pass], so who am I to sweat the small stuff? If all goes well I'm about to have a really cool job.

Driving down to San Antonio from McGuire (NJ) this weekend. Was tempted to fly, but A) I want to bring my bikes/climbing gear/dive gear/etc B) 2+ months at Lackland without a vehicle = bah. Rental cars are expensive.

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

I start on the 16th be there the night of the 15th i reserved a while back im at kelly ya per diem. see you all there.

See you there man. I'll be arriving the night of the 14th, possibly the morning of the 15th.

Really excited to be able to see San Antonio and the surrounding area for a change. Was there 4 years ago in basic, but that didn't really count.

strangeluv8
04-08-2010, 09:43 PM
Strangeluv
I also had to get that ETP to get out of my career field. It took my shop chief calling AFPC retraining to get past that step. They told my shop chief it could still take 60-90 days but yet 2 hrs later I had approval and class dates. I dont know if my package was under some papers or what but they pushed me through real quick after that phone call.

Zuke,
Not that it should matter but, what rank was your shop chief? My Senior said he would call if I wanted him to. And do you know who he/she talked to at AFPC?

Also, we just had a FTA, not even in the feeder AFSC (works in the Orderly Room), get picked up for FE. His app was submitted around the same time as mine and from my understanding, FTA apps go through a board. What a crock!

zuke314
04-08-2010, 10:29 PM
Zuke,
Not that it should matter but, what rank was your shop chief? My Senior said he would call if I wanted him to. And do you know who he/she talked to at AFPC?

Also, we just had a FTA, not even in the feeder AFSC (works in the Orderly Room), get picked up for FE. His app was submitted around the same time as mine and from my understanding, FTA apps go through a board. What a crock!

My shop chief is a MSgt. He spoke with an actual retraining technicain (called DSN 665-5000, option 2 and asked to speak with actual military personnel)
My app had already been in for almost 5 months before we started calling down. After speaking with my flight chief who is prior air staff though, he said enless you are a senior nco or higher ranking O they will pretty much ignore you and get it to when they get to it.
Haha yea I know all about the FTA boards, real kick in the nuts hearing about other guys getting approved after you are just out in the pasture waiting on any word.

alcorh
04-09-2010, 11:01 PM
So the class got assignments today (First day of block 5).

Everyone got within the top 10. I got my 6th.

So I'm headed to Tinker AFB for AWACS.

Anyone get helos?

racer847
04-09-2010, 11:11 PM
What bases do you select from during tech school? I have pulled the enlisted authorized list off of AMS but is that list the same as the dreamsheet you have in class when you select bases?
Thanks

strangeluv8
04-09-2010, 11:28 PM
My shop chief is a MSgt. He spoke with an actual retraining technicain (called DSN 665-5000, option 2 and asked to speak with actual military personnel)
My app had already been in for almost 5 months before we started calling down. After speaking with my flight chief who is prior air staff though, he said enless you are a senior nco or higher ranking O they will pretty much ignore you and get it to when they get to it.
Haha yea I know all about the FTA boards, real kick in the nuts hearing about other guys getting approved after you are just out in the pasture waiting on any word.

Alright. Well, I haven't been waiting that long yet. Thats what I've heard about AFPC, at least a MSgt. Kinda seems that way with this wait...not cool to be in limbo.

Anybody else out there submit their retraining app around the same time, 5 Mar?

YaKkO
04-09-2010, 11:29 PM
Anyone get helos?

No. But we had a guy get -22's

YaKkO
04-09-2010, 11:31 PM
What bases do you select from during tech school? I have pulled the enlisted authorized list off of AMS but is that list the same as the dreamsheet you have in class when you select bases?
Thanks

The give you the list that your referring to that 3-Levels can go to.

So if you get a list and see that there is an Airframe on there that you wanted and a base that you wanted it doesn't mean that there is an opening.

racer847
04-10-2010, 12:47 AM
The give you the list that your referring to that 3-Levels can go to.

So if you get a list and see that there is an Airframe on there that you wanted and a base that you wanted it doesn't mean that there is an opening.

So when they give you the list in class it is only of the available airframes for your class?

racer847
04-10-2010, 01:53 AM
So when they give you the list in class it is only of the available airframes for your class?

Disregard, I reread your post and got what you meant the second time.

2430 MHz
04-10-2010, 01:58 AM
Bro.....bro.....all ya gotta do is submit your air force wrench form 3362, add in the MXS and AMXS, plus a helo....subtract an airframe and an FTA board...and multiply it by AFPC and the -22's :D

2430 MHz
04-10-2010, 02:00 AM
Oh wait.....this isnt where I parked my car...sorry wrench flight engineer maintainer jet propulsion guys

strangeluv8
04-10-2010, 04:51 AM
Well, what I thought would not happen...might have happened today. Checked my status like I do every morning and it showed "3". Right before I left this afternoon, the "3" turned into... I do not have an app on file, to contact my MPF for further guidance. I'm thinking that means I was disapproved. The only thing that throws me for a loop is the retraining advisory is now down to 23 TSgt slots when it was 24 this morning. That could be just a coincidence though.

Tried calling AFPC, but it was well past 5. Have to wait til Monday now. If I did get disapproved, is there a way around it?

zuke314
04-14-2010, 12:04 AM
Well, what I thought would not happen...might have happened today. Checked my status like I do every morning and it showed "3". Right before I left this afternoon, the "3" turned into... I do not have an app on file, to contact my MPF for further guidance. I'm thinking that means I was disapproved. The only thing that throws me for a loop is the retraining advisory is now down to 23 TSgt slots when it was 24 this morning. That could be just a coincidence though.

Tried calling AFPC, but it was well past 5. Have to wait til Monday now. If I did get disapproved, is there a way around it?

any word ?

strangeluv8
04-14-2010, 01:15 AM
any word ?

Yup, disapproved on 9 Apr. The reason I got was: "Retraining out of CAFSC not in the best interest of the Air Force at this time." Talk about a downer! Found this out yesterday afternoon. I had to call AFPC to get the news.

What really pisses me off is, if my functional wasn't going to let me go...why did they approve my request to retrain back in Nov? So much time has been wasted to include the Med Group personnel for getting the IFC-III flying physical all squared away, my coworkers and my own! And we all know...time is money. Reeks of FWA...Esp when I am in a feeder AFSC, my ETP was signed by my CC, I met all the qualification requirements and 1A1 is critical...2A6 is balanced. Oh, and there are still 23 TSgt slots avail. Not sure what the problem is...maybe there is something I am not quite understanding with the whole process.

Any ideas?

zuke314
04-14-2010, 02:15 AM
Yup, disapproved on 9 Apr. The reason I got was: "Retraining out of CAFSC not in the best interest of the Air Force at this time." Talk about a downer! Found this out yesterday afternoon. I had to call AFPC to get the news.

What really pisses me off is, if my functional wasn't going to let me go...why did they approve my request to retrain back in Nov? So much time has been wasted to include the Med Group personnel for getting the IFC-III flying physical all squared away, my coworkers and my own! And we all know...time is money. Reeks of FWA...Esp when I am in a feeder AFSC, my ETP was signed by my CC, I met all the qualification requirements and 1A1 is critical...2A6 is balanced. Oh, and there are still 23 TSgt slots avail. Not sure what the problem is...maybe there is something I am not quite understanding with the whole process.

Any ideas?
Bummer Dude. Sorry to hear it. I dont think your career functional has anything to do with releasing you. Its a different functional up at Air Staff. I think a few AFSC's get grouped up and given to one functional for this personnel kind of stuff. Thats the way it was explained to me at least. What about tracking down the person at air staff and pleading your case for release or find out when you can re apply based off of manning. It might have something do with base manning too. I know a guy who had to do an ETP because his shop was undermanned on staff's, just took the CC's signature and he was good. Best of luck bro.

imported_ANALYST
04-14-2010, 12:48 PM
There are other avenues, check your PM.

xCHICOx
04-14-2010, 08:15 PM
Don't take no for an answer. Keep trying while you can.

strangeluv8
04-14-2010, 10:43 PM
Don't plan on it...I have already contacted a few of the Seniors and Chiefs that I know in the 2A world. And I'm still waiting to hear back from the 1A1 Chief.

Hoping to get this overturned.

imported_AeroMech78
04-14-2010, 11:40 PM

Any ideas?

Sorry to hear that. If it's any consolation, there are plenty of Guard and Reserve units that will pick you up in a second. Probably not the idea you're looking for but......

BHibbert80
04-15-2010, 02:00 AM
Sorry to hear that. If it's any consolation, there are plenty of Guard and Reserve units that will pick you up in a second. Probably not the idea you're looking for but......

i was going to suggest the same thing...guard is a different animal than AD....i did my time in AD and enjoyed it, but i wanted to finish my degree and the guard was the ticket...all done now with school, contacted a heavies base, asked about FE slots, and here it is 6 mo's later and I'm going to FE school next month. and they always have full time guard slots...just have to keep your ears open. that's the route i'm taking. good luck man.

xCHICOx
04-15-2010, 02:15 PM
Also, you could probably contact the CEA Recruiter and get this sorted out faster than waiting for the Seniors and Chiefs to get back to you. Just another avenue....a backup plan for the backup plan type thing. GL.

turbotyme7
04-16-2010, 12:27 AM
Starting fundies tomorrow, i'll be driving a red corolla with duct tape on the window in case anyone sees me. Took me a while to figure how to get from kelly to the schoolhouse...

imported_ANALYST
04-16-2010, 02:16 AM
Well, we will see you in the fish bowl.

fallenight
04-16-2010, 04:07 AM
ya i start tommorow as well found the hall pretty fast but the directions not so good lol got all turned around. anyway see ya tommorow.

imported_ANALYST
04-16-2010, 11:22 PM
I saw the red corolla and ran into fallenight at the little store in kelly this morning.

kenton
04-18-2010, 03:57 AM
Done with SERE. Now the countdown for IQT begins... 7 weeks to go :(

racer847
04-19-2010, 05:34 AM
What airframe did you get Kenton?

adam85
04-19-2010, 05:40 PM
Hello all. FTA here retraining outside of my window. Had to write a ETP for it since my Initial Flight Physical was done two weeks after my window closed. Oh had to include my last 3 EPRs as well. I got my commanders coordination signed off last friday and now i am just waiting. My DOS is July 27 so hopefully I hear something before than. Also sent my AFSC feeder waiver, 1042 and 422. Wish me luck...I have a feeling I am going to need it!

imported_ANALYST
04-19-2010, 09:23 PM
Best of luck man, you shouldn't have any problems getting it. I will be starting BFE in a couple of days. Keep us informed on your progress, dont hesitate to ask any questions either. I am sure someone will have a answer on here.

turbotyme7
04-20-2010, 12:33 AM
analyst is a mysterious person....still don't know this person, after 2 days of class

kenton
04-20-2010, 01:16 AM
What airframe did you get Kenton?

I got h-60s at nellis

racer847
04-20-2010, 01:52 AM
I got h-60s at nellis

Very nice, bet you are pumped. I am only waiting on my ETP to come back from the squadron. Didn't need one when I started, but they added Retraining IN objectives for my career field so now I am waiting on that. Hopefully I will be hitting submit this week.

imported_ANALYST
04-20-2010, 02:31 AM
Im not mysterious, my last name is Jones. If you see me, just say whats up.

borbiusle
04-20-2010, 03:08 PM
FTA here with a 2A AFSC trying to retrain into FE. Submitted my application in the middle of March so I'm assuming my application already went up to 1 board. Has me kind of worried since I've heard it was suppose to be simple to get class dates and I only have 2 more chances to meet the board....

TrngGuy
04-20-2010, 05:07 PM
Long time listener, first time caller... I am also trying to retrain into the 1A111 career field, surprise, surprise... Long story short I have to get a medical waiver due to having cancer. I used to be a 2A373 (F-16) and was forced to retrain into the 3S271 (training manger) becouse if it. I have reached my five year mark (per the waiver guide) and am able apply. I am taking this opportunity and jumping in with both feet but.... the medical waiver is taking forever. I have been working on this for 2 years and still have not been able to submit my package due to the medical personnel. WTF... anyone else have such issues with medical? Also thank you for letting me vent. Just wanted to say… HI.

adam85
04-20-2010, 10:16 PM
Checked my email today and got this:

"All documents have been received for your Retraining package. Your package is now pending a Career Field Manager Review. Please be advised that the review processing time varies for different AFSC’s.

Your patience will be greatly appreciated."

strangeluv8
04-21-2010, 12:50 AM
Good luck to you FTA. Hopefully it all works out for you guys, esp as there are already 114 FY11 FE slots showing up on the retraining advisory.

Well, starting over from scratch. Submitted the request to retrain again today. Hopefully it doesn't take but a couple of days for them to approve the request.

YaKkO
04-21-2010, 01:49 AM
Yeah that Analyst guy is a weirdo! lol jk

chachikeno
04-21-2010, 02:49 AM
Good luck Strange, dont give up!

bcoco14
04-21-2010, 11:00 AM

Any ideas?

Well here's what you do, call or e-mail the CEA recruiter. I had this exact same thing happen to me, same reason given and everything. I sent an e-mail he got the CFM involved and less than 24hrs later I went from disapproved to having class dates.

To be 60 Eng
04-21-2010, 01:19 PM
The first time I submited I got a similar email back saying it was not in the Air Force's best interest. After speaking to the career advisor I resubmited the same application BUT I added a ETP letter (Exception to policy) Literaly within 30 minutes I had a reply that I was accepted to complete the application for Flight Engineer.

adam85
04-21-2010, 10:26 PM
Well today just found out CFM non concur my AFSC feeder waiver at this time. I was told to try 1A2, 1A3, 1A4, and 1A7 career fields since they were on my 1042. Any other ideas on what I should do..or should I just try and apply for these other jobs? Thanks.

xCHICOx
04-21-2010, 11:22 PM
Well today just found out CFM non concur my AFSC feeder waiver at this time. I was told to try 1A2, 1A3, 1A4, and 1A7 career fields since they were on my 1042. Any other ideas on what I should do..or should I just try and apply for these other jobs? Thanks.

Just to verify, what AFSC are you coming from? Many of us have got an ETP approved from a full spectrum of AFSC's. OR, you just submitted a weak a** ETP letter/bad EPR's etc....? Was that the 1A1 CFM that non-concurred?

adam85
04-22-2010, 01:45 AM
Not sure exactly why i non-concurred for my AFSC waiver. I called today and asked and they told me I do not have a previous Maintence or Flyer background..I thought that was the whole point of me writing the waiver! I did have a 4 on my EPR 3 years ago but my last 2 EPRS have been firewall 5s..so I am not sure. Anyways my enlistment comes up end of July so I am in a time crunch and I applied for 1A2, 1A4, and 1A7 today with hopes of making this end of month board. With that being said, this forum has been alot of help and I wish good luck for everyone here. Take care.

AfricanSnowOwl
04-22-2010, 10:43 AM
How do you change airframes? I'm currently a KC-10 FE looking to go CV-22, HH-60, or C-130. Anyone know what kind of process this would be?

xCHICOx
04-22-2010, 02:38 PM
Not sure exactly why i non-concurred for my AFSC waiver. I called today and asked and they told me I do not have a previous Maintence or Flyer background..I thought that was the whole point of me writing the waiver! I did have a 4 on my EPR 3 years ago but my last 2 EPRS have been firewall 5s..so I am not sure. Anyways my enlistment comes up end of July so I am in a time crunch and I applied for 1A2, 1A4, and 1A7 today with hopes of making this end of month board. With that being said, this forum has been alot of help and I wish good luck for everyone here. Take care.

Your right, that is the whole point of the ETP for feeder AFSC. Sounds like somebody up there doesn't know what they were doing. If you want to go FE keep trying. Can't go wrong with any of the other ones you put down either. GL.

Helvetti
04-22-2010, 06:18 PM
So im new on this forum but I recently washed out of 1C1 (air traffic control) and trying to apply for FE so I was just wondering if im going to have all the same problems as you guys are having or will it be easier since i washed out and a FTA?? Also could someone give me a good example on what my letter should say for a feeder waiver?? thx

Golther
04-23-2010, 12:23 AM
So im new on this forum but I recently washed out of 1C1 (air traffic control) and trying to apply for FE so I was just wondering if im going to have all the same problems as you guys are having or will it be easier since i washed out and a FTA?? Also could someone give me a good example on what my letter should say for a feeder waiver?? thx

Have you JUST joined as a pipeline student? If so do you have an A&P or a private pilots license? If not then you wont be able to be a FE, unless you wait until half of your enlistment and retrain there.

Helvetti
04-23-2010, 02:12 AM
Have you JUST joined as a pipeline student? If so do you have an A&P or a private pilots license? If not then you wont be able to be a FE, unless you wait until half of your enlistment and retrain there.

Well AFPC said all i needed was a feeder waiver and I would be able to apply for it but if thats not the case then i should probably look for a diffrent AFSC.

Golther
04-23-2010, 05:38 AM
Well AFPC said all i needed was a feeder waiver and I would be able to apply for it but if thats not the case then i should probably look for a diffrent AFSC.

I didn't think it worked that way but if AFPC says you can then my all means try, but if you can't then there are many other aircrew fields out there also.

Helvetti
04-23-2010, 02:24 PM
I didn't think it worked that way but if AFPC says you can then my all means try, but if you can't then there are many other aircrew fields out there also.

Well just to clear things up im not really sure what you meant by pipeline student but if it has somthing to do with tech school then no im not a pipeline student ive been at my first duty station for over a year now and washed out while trying to get my 5 level in my recent AFSC.

BigBaze
04-23-2010, 06:51 PM
How do you change airframes? I'm currently a KC-10 FE looking to go CV-22, HH-60, or C-130. Anyone know what kind of process this would be?

They come out with emails now and then looking for people to go to the CV22, I am sure your CEM or chief engineer will know more..although one CV22 did crash in Afghanistan the other day...

Chief130H
04-23-2010, 10:36 PM
Hey all, my application was submitted the 31 March and got class dates 6 April! Whats up with that?! (Not that I'm complaining) I was on leave for the last three weeks and could have lost my dates if I were not a FTA. I have 30 days to get retainability and take care of all that other paper work stuff. If you are NCORP and/or plan on taking lots of time off, I would keep in touch with AFPC about your application if you dont have access to your email (just in case). Thanks for all the posts, they were very helpful.

imported_ANALYST
04-23-2010, 11:09 PM
Hey all, my application was submitted the 31 March and got class dates 6 April! Whats up with that?! (Not that I'm complaining) I was on leave for the last three weeks and could have lost my dates if I were not a FTA. I have 30 days to get retainability and take care of all that other paper work stuff. If you are NCORP and/or plan on taking lots of time off, I would keep in touch with AFPC about your application if you dont have access to your email (just in case). Thanks for all the posts, they were very helpful.

You were really lucky to get dates that quick, well you will enjoy it. I am on day two of BFE and I am loving it.

borbiusle
04-25-2010, 04:38 AM

Son of a *****, submitted my app on the 11th of March and I'm still waiting :(. Anyways, Congrats man. Were you FTA by any chance?

Chief130H
04-27-2010, 05:48 AM
Thanks! Yes, I submitted under FTA early retraining CAREERS option. I'm definetly excited and looking forward to flying.

ctk_troll
04-30-2010, 07:42 PM
Hello, Im about 20 days away from putting in my retraining package under the early retraining option. 2A5x1 going for, 1a0, 1a1, 1a2 or 1a7.

My only concern is I want to make the air force a 20+ career and I know the military shrinks after war. Does anyone know how much these career fields would be affected compared to maint.

xCHICOx
05-03-2010, 01:44 PM
Hello, Im about 20 days away from putting in my retraining package under the early retraining option. 2A5x1 going for, 1a0, 1a1, 1a2 or 1a7.

My only concern is I want to make the air force a 20+ career and I know the military shrinks after war. Does anyone know how much these career fields would be affected compared to maint.

I don't think any 1A job would be on the chopping block. I don't recall any 1A AFSCs having "OUT" quotas on the retraining advisory. Hopefully somebody else can chime in.

C17 E&E
05-03-2010, 04:00 PM
C-17 Electrician here 2A6X6. I submitted my application last week, but was told to submit an Exception to Policy Letter. Should get that back from the Commander sometime today, then I'll shoot that up to AFPC. This package has been the biggest pain in the a**!! I'm hoping I don't have any problems with getting the FE position. I've been in for 7 years, and I guess FTA's pretty much get the shoe in rather than career airmen. Did anyone else in this position have any problems?

borbiusle
05-04-2010, 02:34 PM
FTA here. Went into status 3 on March 11th and I just went into status 5 as of May 3rd. Can't wait to get class dates :)!

C17 E&E
05-04-2010, 02:40 PM
FTA here. Went into status 3 on March 11th and I just went into status 5 as of May 3rd. Can't wait to get class dates :)!

JEALOUS. haha

FE Buckeye Pride
05-05-2010, 11:56 AM
Hey guys, new to the forum.

Currently a FTA 1C052 retraining into FE. Im assigned to an HC-130P unit out of DM (currently deployed). Just got my 5 status yesterday after a ton of work since November 09. Im waiting on my class dates but I got an email saying the BPO is looking over my app? Is my guess correct that it means he's looking over my package and trying to arrange my class dates?

I know I have a long road ahead of me, not being prior MX. The most help Ive gotten is from the wife (C-130 MX) as well as the FE's in my squadron. Any help for BFE prep would be awesome. Congrats to everyone else that has been selected as well.

racer847
05-06-2010, 08:00 PM
Finally got my Exception to Policy back signed and approved. It got lost once in the squadron (currently deployed so I couldn't walk it up like I would have). Got everything loaded in the contact center and hit submit. Has anyone been able to submit in the vMPF application? When I go to the apply for retraining link it never comes up. The contact center said that submitting under My Stuff is fine. Has anyone else submitted this way?
Keeping my fingers crossed that my status update go quickly.

C17 E&E
05-06-2010, 11:28 PM
Finally got my Exception to Policy back signed and approved. It got lost once in the squadron (currently deployed so I couldn't walk it up like I would have). Got everything loaded in the contact center and hit submit. Has anyone been able to submit in the vMPF application? When I go to the apply for retraining link it never comes up. The contact center said that submitting under My Stuff is fine. Has anyone else submitted this way?
Keeping my fingers crossed that my status update go quickly.

I just got my ETP back signed and approved today as well. I just went to MyStuff on AFPC and loaded the ETP and my last 3 EPR's. I had already submitted my application last week through vMPF. So if you need to submit your application with all your documents, and have your Commander sign off on them I would retry the vMPF route. Either way, make sure you call AFPC and make sure they have everything so your application will make it to the board.

I just checked the quotas again today, and they are dropping like flies. hopefully you and me both get our app's in and get approved. good luck!! By the way, does anyone know how long it takes for the Functional Manager at the Pentagon to approve your Exception to Policy for retraining??

C17 E&E
05-06-2010, 11:32 PM
Racer847, you should go into the AF Portal, then to Career-Active Duty, click on AFPC, go to the secure apps, click on vMPF, and then go to your Retraining. You should definately be able to open everything that way. If you just go to AF Portal, then vMPF it won't work.

FE Buckeye Pride
05-07-2010, 05:46 AM
By the way, does anyone know how long it takes for the Functional Manager at the Pentagon to approve your Exception to Policy for retraining??

Typically its about 3 weeks for the review to be accepted by the Functional. Like anyone else, it depends upon how much work he has in his lap. Its not so much an actual review, because your CC's endorsement on the ETP is what matters most to him. Its just the stacks of other work he has to weed through to get to yours. It took me a couple weeks for everyone at AFPC to sign off on my package before submitting it to the board.

Good luck bro.

C17 E&E
05-07-2010, 10:10 PM
Typically its about 3 weeks for the review to be accepted by the Functional. Like anyone else, it depends upon how much work he has in his lap. Its not so much an actual review, because your CC's endorsement on the ETP is what matters most to him. Its just the stacks of other work he has to weed through to get to yours. It took me a couple weeks for everyone at AFPC to sign off on my package before submitting it to the board.

Good luck bro.

Thanks Buckeye!! PS- Thats a good name... huge fan of Ohio State, I'm from Dayton. Wish I could get stationed at Wright-Patt.

racer847
05-08-2010, 01:37 AM
Racer847, you should go into the AF Portal, then to Career-Active Duty, click on AFPC, go to the secure apps, click on vMPF, and then go to your Retraining. You should definately be able to open everything that way. If you just go to AF Portal, then vMPF it won't work.
Thanks C17 E&E, got it in that way. Didn't realize you had to go through the secure aps part. Guess I am just waiting on my commander to do his clicks now. Good luck to everyone waiting and those still applying.

kenton
05-08-2010, 06:41 AM
And the countdown continues..... 1 month until IQT.... cant wait.... At least works keeping me busy

FE Buckeye Pride
05-08-2010, 07:29 AM
Thanks Buckeye!! PS- Thats a good name... huge fan of Ohio State, I'm from Dayton. Wish I could get stationed at Wright-Patt.

Not a problem man, anytime I can be assistance. Im also from Ohio, Pickerington (Columbus) to be exact. Born and bred, would love to be stationed at Wright-Patt also, but it doesn't look like thats gonna happen to me either.

YaKkO
05-08-2010, 06:24 PM
And the countdown continues..... 1 month until IQT.... cant wait.... At least works keeping me busy

Exact opposite for me. I go in everyday and do nothing!

Leave for SERE Wed though so I assume that should entertain me for a little bit right :rolleyes:

racer847
05-10-2010, 08:31 PM
Commander completed his coordination on my Application today. How long does it take to update to status 3? Really hoping this moves right along. I've got two months left on my deployment and it would be great to return to orders.

zuke314
05-11-2010, 12:26 AM
Anyone in BFE right now? How are the assignments looking?

bcoco14
05-11-2010, 12:29 PM
Anyone in BFE right now? How are the assignments looking?

We just got ours yesterday, myself and 1 other guy got KC-10's, 3 got 130's and 2 still need to reenlist to get theirs. Everybody got something in their top 10.

YaKkO
05-11-2010, 09:51 PM
We just got ours yesterday, myself and 1 other guy got KC-10's, 3 got 130's and 2 still need to reenlist to get theirs. Everybody got something in their top 10.

I love it. Two classes after mine they magically have 2 KC-10 spots....

They might as well say THIS IS AN NCO ASSIGNMENT ANYWAYS. Because those are the only people that are getting em as of lately IMO.

No love for the SrA :mad:

bcoco14
05-12-2010, 04:02 AM
I love it. Two classes after mine they magically have 2 KC-10 spots....

They might as well say THIS IS AN NCO ASSIGNMENT ANYWAYS. Because those are the only people that are getting em as of lately IMO.

No love for the SrA :mad:

Hey to be fair the other guy is already a boom at maguire, so I'm sure that ayes into it. Now go camping and have fun on your gaywaxs!

kenton
05-13-2010, 03:33 PM
I poached a link from another forum that shows a little bit about being a HH-60 crewmember... Just thought Id post it have at it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uy3uaA0cQIo&feature=player_embedded

C17 E&E
05-14-2010, 05:55 PM
I believe I am stuck in the AFPC hell hole. I submitted everything about a month ago, was told to get an ETP letter, so I finally submitted it about 2 weeks ago. Called AFPC to find out why I can't even review my package.... and they said they're having technical difficulties...WTF!! So I then asked if they had submitted my ETP to the Functional Manager for approval since I'm in a Balanced AFSC and was told that they weren't sure. I then asked to speak with the supervisor, and was told he was out of the office. I'm going to call back shortly, hopefully I get the answers I want.

Also, do you go into status 3 after your CFM approves your ETP??

FE Buckeye Pride
05-15-2010, 07:54 AM
I believe I am stuck in the AFPC hell hole. I submitted everything about a month ago, was told to get an ETP letter, so I finally submitted it about 2 weeks ago. Called AFPC to find out why I can't even review my package.... and they said they're having technical difficulties...WTF!! So I then asked if they had submitted my ETP to the Functional Manager for approval since I'm in a Balanced AFSC and was told that they weren't sure. I then asked to speak with the supervisor, and was told he was out of the office. I'm going to call back shortly, hopefully I get the answers I want.

Also, do you go into status 3 after your CFM approves your ETP??

Hang in there man, its well known that the AFPC system sucks. You don't go into "Status 3" until your entire package, to include your ETP, has been approved by the BPO. You will receive an email stating "Your package has been reviewed by the BPO and will now meet up to three boards". That is when you will be officially status 3.

Also, never back down from AFPC. You may seem annoying but to everyone else you are just a piece of paper, the squeaky wheel gets the grease!

Also, just an update. I have been officially Status 5, "Waiting on Class Seat Date", for 2 weeks now. Im not sure if its because I am currently deployed or if its a common situation this late in the Fiscal Year, but my CC said that I likely wont be going to EAUC until November-January 11-ish. He said I will be waiting until mid-July when the FY11 dates are released.

Anyone else waiting on a date?

C17 E&E
05-15-2010, 06:35 PM
This is an awesome video of the HH-60 if your gonna be an FE on one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWaehyJb0pg&feature=fvsr

BHibbert80
05-16-2010, 03:04 AM
Starting aircrew fundies this Friday! anybody else starting this week?? See you in Texas. Good luck to those waiting on dates. It was a long wait for me as well....but it gets here before you know it. Now i'm scrambling to get a trailer to take my bike down there, and the clock is ticking even faster! Coming from Indiana

xCHICOx
05-17-2010, 01:40 PM
Since everybody is counting down, I might as well contribute.....73 days until Fundies/BFE :thumb

strangeluv8
05-18-2010, 05:52 AM
Well...2nd time around with this retrain process and my request was disapproved this morning! The automated email stated there are no available quotas at this time, however, the online retraining advisory (which is supposedly updated/real time) still shows 21 TSgt, 18 SSgt and 15 FTA quotas available for FY10. Is there another piece to the puzzle I am not quite understanding???

xCHICOx
05-18-2010, 01:07 PM
Just call AFPC's contact center and tell them. Sometimes you need to point things out to them. They might be looking at the FY11 numbers. Don't give up.

borbiusle
05-18-2010, 03:52 PM
Got my class dates, I start July 2nd! Can't wait to leave South Dakota forever!

C17 E&E
05-18-2010, 04:26 PM
Well...2nd time around with this retrain process and my request was disapproved this morning! The automated email stated there are no available quotas at this time, however, the online retraining advisory (which is supposedly updated/real time) still shows 21 TSgt, 18 SSgt and 15 FTA quotas available for FY10. Is there another piece to the puzzle I am not quite understanding???

You know the route you need to take, talk to the Chief, and contact the CEA recruiter MSgt Bergin. That doesn't sound right if the quotas are still there. I spoke with AFPC yesterday, and they said the server is down...won't be getting a replacement until May 26. Maybe that's the problem, I don't know, but I would definately contact the above individuals. Greatest of luck to you.

FE Buckeye Pride
05-18-2010, 05:02 PM
Got my class dates, I start July 2nd! Can't wait to leave South Dakota forever!

Congrats, its a huge relief when you get dates.

Just got my dates for Fundies, 24 Sep 10. Very stoked!

bcoco14
05-18-2010, 10:57 PM
contact the CEA recruiter.

This!! Find his number and call him, something similar happened to me and he had it worked out in less than 24hrs.

onyx
05-19-2010, 04:29 PM
I poached a link from another forum that shows a little bit about being a HH-60 crewmember... Just thought Id post it have at it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uy3uaA0cQIo&feature=player_embedded

Why are you even still posting here?

kenton
05-20-2010, 05:35 AM
Why are you even still posting here?

Got a lot of help from here........ I guess I could just advertise here and post there..... afforums.com

C17 E&E
05-20-2010, 03:40 PM
Updated to status 3 today, we'll see what happens from here.

racer847
05-21-2010, 12:00 AM
Updated to status 3 today, we'll see what happens from here.
Thats good stuff, hopefully mine will update since I got in a couple days behind you.

xCHICOx
05-21-2010, 01:34 PM
I see a couple of you guys are from DM. How is the area around there? Would you prefer to stay there as an FE? Just asking, since I have never really heard too much about it.

strangeluv8
05-21-2010, 06:58 PM
First off...good luck to all of you trying to get a FY10 slot! And thx for all the info with my situation. They disapproved my request b/c they were goin off of the FY11 quotas! What a crock! Anyhow, after a month has passed and several phone calls/emails...my retraining app is now submitted for a second time! Its now a matter of having an available quota when my retraining package is pulled...found out Wed my career field is at 130% manned for 7-lvls. This has been the most twisted process I have yet to deal with in the AF.

C17 E&E
05-21-2010, 07:46 PM
First off...good luck to all of you trying to get a FY10 slot! And thx for all the info with my situation. They disapproved my request b/c they were goin off of the FY11 quotas! What a crock! Anyhow, after a month has passed and several phone calls/emails...my retraining app is now submitted for a second time! Its now a matter of having an available quota when my retraining package is pulled...found out Wed my career field is at 130% manned for 7-lvls. This has been the most twisted process I have yet to deal with in the AF.

Did they state why they went off the FY11 quotas? I'm pretty sure we're in in FY10 still, but maybe they did it based on available class dates. I've noticed some guys are going to Fundies is Sept. Maybe the next class is in Oct which would would put the rest of us in FY11. Just a guess.

onyx
05-22-2010, 01:39 AM
Congrats, its a huge relief when you get dates.

Just got my dates for Fundies, 24 Sep 10. Very stoked!

Who is this? Where do you work?

KC10
05-22-2010, 05:16 AM
My class is the last of FY10 for slots... we are all SCREWED.

No 10s, no 5s, no helos, NOTHING.

We get 130s and AWACS.

dfgkljsdf;jklgsdfj;klgjk;sdfjkg;jkl;sdfjgkl;jsdfkl ;gjl;ds

Oh well, my instructor says 130s are incredibly fun. Just not cushy like the heavies.

Supposed to learn my airframe and base this monday. I am scared.

FE Buckeye Pride
05-22-2010, 08:27 AM
I see a couple of you guys are from DM. How is the area around there? Would you prefer to stay there as an FE? Just asking, since I have never really heard too much about it.

DM isn't bad at all. Its hot - 100+ temps all summer and upwards of 60-70 in Feb. The night life is solid and everything is within driving distance - San Diego (8 hours), Phoenix (2 hours), Grand Canyon, Vegas, etc.

As far as being an FE out here, unless you get 60s, DO NOT DO IT! The Rescue community of HC-130Ps (who Im assigned to now as an ARMS troop) is closing down its doors to FEs since the J-models are coming on line in the next two years, which means no FE or AMSS (Radio Op). Outside of 60s the only other option are EC-130s. They have a cool mission, but your job would be extremely boring. You burn circles around the flag pole, nothing too tactical. Its quite boring to say the least unless you want to do high-levels with a bunch of linguists in the back, burning holes in the sky.

The base itself - very big, lots to offer, the community is supportive but also smaller and can be ghetto in some areas (45 min away from Mexico). The flying community for FEs are few and far between.

FE Buckeye Pride
05-22-2010, 08:32 AM
Who is this? Where do you work?

Im with the 79 RQS (HC-130Ps) out of DM. Im an ARMS troop, but not incredibly worried because Im currently deployed with my unit and an solid with our FEs. We go over TOLD and Ive went out with them to do a couple of -1s (Pre-flights). They are prepping me daily on the rigors of being an FE since I come from a somewhat disadvantage of being admin and not MX. Good thing is that I have always worked directly with a flying community.

Who are you with? Do you have the same class date?

onyx
05-22-2010, 07:57 PM
I was an A-10 engine troop at DM. Right now i'm at Little Rock for IQT, i'll be going to the EC's at DM.

racer847
05-22-2010, 08:03 PM
Got the message yesterday that I had to submit an SRB Recoupment letter. I sent it in right away, but has anyone else had to do one? My SRB was just a 1 multiplier, I was under the understanding that it wouldn't have to be paid back since I am retraining to a greater/equal multiplier. I read in the reg and it seems like the recoupment is mostly for failure to complete commitment for something more extreme, ie kicked out.

May stop by my local persco next day off

WillsPowers
05-23-2010, 05:57 AM
Looks like the glory days for FE's is coming to an end! Not many slots left!

CV22FE
05-23-2010, 03:36 PM
Anyone have a class date starting July 30th?

Spunjah413
05-24-2010, 04:15 AM
Got the message yesterday that I had to submit an SRB Recoupment letter. I sent it in right away, but has anyone else had to do one? My SRB was just a 1 multiplier, I was under the understanding that it wouldn't have to be paid back since I am retraining to a greater/equal multiplier. I read in the reg and it seems like the recoupment is mostly for failure to complete commitment for something more extreme, ie kicked out.

May stop by my local persco next day off

I don't see why you would have to pay back the SRB. I reenlisted literally 1 month before I went to BFE last may @ a 1.5 multiplier, and have had no problems with that at all. I got my initial 50%, and got my first installment of it this year. Altho I may not know all your particular circumstances, sounds a bit strange to me.

racer847
05-24-2010, 09:58 PM
I don't see why you would have to pay back the SRB. I reenlisted literally 1 month before I went to BFE last may @ a 1.5 multiplier, and have had no problems with that at all. I got my initial 50%, and got my first installment of it this year. Altho I may not know all your particular circumstances, sounds a bit strange to me.

Yeah I will have to see where it goes once they approve me. Everything I have read in the reg says recoupment is only for breach of contract type stuff.

Went to status 3 today, so I am waiting with you C17 E&E.

xCHICOx
05-24-2010, 10:07 PM
Anyone have a class date starting July 30th?

I start 30 Jul....you? If so, see you down there...

CV22FE
05-25-2010, 03:20 PM
I start 30 Jul....you? If so, see you down there...

yeah I can't wait.

imported_ANALYST
05-25-2010, 11:30 PM
Hey, I tested out of Block 8 today. If you have any questions, just hit me up. Im almost done, then I will be off to SERE and Little Rock after that.

imported_ANALYST
05-25-2010, 11:35 PM
I was an A-10 engine troop at DM. Right now i'm at Little Rock for IQT, i'll be going to the EC's at DM.

Hey man, one of my classmates will be joining you in DM on EC's.

akruse
05-26-2010, 12:08 AM
Will be starting June 11th. Anyone else?

chachikeno
05-26-2010, 09:36 PM
Hey Analyst you got C130s? Cool im currently at Little Rock for IQT. IT is twice the amount of information and hard work you got ot put in. Some days i feel like I dont belong here but I just keep studying and im getting it done. When do you get to Little Rock? Good luck in SERE!

imported_ANALYST
05-27-2010, 02:10 AM
Hey Analyst you got C130s? Cool im currently at Little Rock for IQT. IT is twice the amount of information and hard work you got ot put in. Some days i feel like I dont belong here but I just keep studying and im getting it done. When do you get to Little Rock? Good luck in SERE!

Yeah man, I have heard that a lot. I start FIQ in September. A couple of my class mates start in August. Hey, keep it up man, if you study it makes it that much easier. What makes you feel that way, just a question?

Spunjah413
05-27-2010, 02:21 AM

lol i swear I felt that same way half way threw the first set of WST's, especially since my instructor was a hard ass at first. Altho sometimes you need one of those to set you straight, especially on study habits lol. Im about to have my check ride next week. It feels nice to finally see the light at the end of the tunnel.

chachikeno
05-27-2010, 07:21 AM
Yeah man, I have heard that a lot. I start FIQ in September. A couple of my class mates start in August. Hey, keep it up man, if you study it makes it that much easier. What makes you feel that way, just a question?

I'm saying that just because I spend all day studying and getting ready for my WSTs (simulator) but I still make all kinds of mistakes and it takes a toll on you. The instructors are hard on you (with good reason) but you just got to put those errors aside and keep going and try to do better on your next WST. With time it all comes to make sense!

chachikeno
05-27-2010, 07:23 AM
lol i swear I felt that same way half way threw the first set of WST's, especially since my instructor was a hard ass at first. Altho sometimes you need one of those to set you straight, especially on study habits lol. Im about to have my check ride next week. It feels nice to finally see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Yep i hear you, instructors are hard asses! God luck on your check ride...I'm still a couple of months away from seing the light.

FE Buckeye Pride
05-27-2010, 04:28 PM
To any of you that have been to school or set to go to Fundies in the next month or two, did it take a while to get your BFE/SERE/WST dates loaded?

Ive had my Fundies dates for about 2-3 weeks now and to no avail do I have any other dates. Is it something I should expect in a month or even while Im at EAUC?

xboomer
05-28-2010, 01:59 AM
Golther,
What's going on? how was survival? You must have twisted their minds during friend making time. Just an FYI, I am back at the the unit and they told me to forget about everything I learned in BFE. I did a TOLD card and one of my answers was 254KIAS, they said don't be an ass, round it up, its 260KIAS. Give me a break, after doing the quarter pencil roll on charts and needing to be within .5 knots. O'well it was a learning experience. Hope things are well with you. Say hi to the gang when you get over to Little Rock. I am heading back to Kelly in a few weeks.

Golther
05-28-2010, 02:11 PM
Golther,
What's going on? how was survival? You must have twisted their minds during friend making time. Just an FYI, I am back at the the unit and they told me to forget about everything I learned in BFE. I did a TOLD card and one of my answers was 254KIAS, they said don't be an ass, round it up, its 260KIAS. Give me a break, after doing the quarter pencil roll on charts and needing to be within .5 knots. O'well it was a learning experience. Hope things are well with you. Say hi to the gang when you get over to Little Rock. I am heading back to Kelly in a few weeks.

Hey man, today is my last day of survival. All I can say is its great training, but at the same time it sucks. I think I did pretty well overall here. I hope its the same for me at little rock. Though I remember people saying you can read KC-10 charts with your elbows.

xboomer
05-28-2010, 08:37 PM
Rain-man,
I am going to C5's. Our class leader was going to 10's. Do you know if he made it through the course?

YaKkO
05-29-2010, 02:17 AM
Hey it's Van.

Yeah he made it along with Slappy and Wanpah.

xboomer
05-29-2010, 01:25 PM
Hi Van,
Good news for all of them. How was Sere?
Hey it's Van.

Yeah he made it along with Slappy and Wanpah.

ctk_troll
05-29-2010, 04:30 PM
Hey guys, I just scheduled my flight physical so I'm at the start of the retraining process.

After you finish fundies do you head to your next class or do you return to home station untill it starts?

xboomer
05-29-2010, 05:36 PM
You will start BFE after Fundies. Most people will go to SERE right after BFE (1-3 weeks after BFE). After SERE its a crap shoot when you start IQT. Some people start right away some start a few months later. I am Reserves and have a two month wait so I have returned to my unit. From what I understand if you are active duty and have a gap in-between schools you will return back to your old unit. I will let some one who is active duty chime in on that process. So don't burn bridges behind you, you may be heading back.

ctk_troll
05-29-2010, 05:46 PM
Cool, that makes alittle more sense, I just remember cleaning floors in tech school for a couple of weeks.

Another question on top of that. After I put in my application with my 5 jobs listed. Will I have any choice over what I get?

Spunjah413
05-30-2010, 12:13 AM
Cool, that makes alittle more sense, I just remember cleaning floors in tech school for a couple of weeks.

Another question on top of that. After I put in my application with my 5 jobs listed. Will I have any choice over what I get?

Any AFSC's they say you are eligible to retrain for you can finish up the paperwork/prerequisite portion and submit for. Even after getting the approval you don't have to finish up the application for that job either. Example being I chose 3 jobs to retrain in, and got accepted for only 2. After long thoughts, I decided to just for for Flight engineer, so I only finished up the prerequisite stuff for that and submitted my application for a single job since the other one didn't sound so hot. Now if you you choose to fully submit for more than 1 job, its a crap shoot on what you will get. It should go from the highest (#1) position as being your most wanted, on down, altho this is the Air Force, so don't get your hopes up.

C17 E&E
06-03-2010, 09:52 PM
I hate playin the waiting game!! I need to get out of Washington, it's still raining everday and 50 degrees while it's sunny and warm everywhere else!! Officially annoyed

Soon2beexloadtoad
06-05-2010, 07:05 PM
To any of you that have been to school or set to go to Fundies in the next month or two, did it take a while to get your BFE/SERE/WST dates loaded?

Ive had my Fundies dates for about 2-3 weeks now and to no avail do I have any other dates. Is it something I should expect in a month or even while Im at EAUC?

When my dates drop they didn't post properly. I recieved only my fundies dates also. I had to contact AFPC via telephone to find out my BFE dates. As for your sere and wst dates. Don't sweat those. You might not even recieve those dates until your last week of BFE. They have to know which aircraft you will be assigned to before they can post your survival dates. The required classes changed per A/C. You'll get your A/C and assignment between blocks three and five of BFE.

strangeluv8
06-09-2010, 05:53 PM
Did they state why they went off the FY11 quotas? I'm pretty sure we're in in FY10 still, but maybe they did it based on available class dates. I've noticed some guys are going to Fundies is Sept. Maybe the next class is in Oct which would would put the rest of us in FY11. Just a guess.

The system was jacked up for a short while. Thats why they initially denied the request. Anyhow, I went status 3 on 1 Jun...and my app went to the BPO the same day. Not sure how long this is gonna take...gotta hope the 2A6 CFM hacks off on my release from the engine career field! Emails and phone calls have already been made to the powers that be...now I will have to wait and see if they really are trying to work in my corner.

FE Buckeye Pride
06-10-2010, 02:10 PM
The system was jacked up for a short while. Thats why they initially denied the request. Anyhow, I went status 3 on 1 Jun...and my app went to the BPO the same day. Not sure how long this is gonna take...gotta hope the 2A6 CFM hacks off on my release from the engine career field! Emails and phone calls have already been made to the powers that be...now I will have to wait and see if they really are trying to work in my corner.

Status 3 means you are awaiting the board to meet and decide IIRC. The board meets at the end of every month, should you make it you will be entered into Status 5 and notified within the first week of the following month. Then a few weeks later you will receive class dates (Status 6).

ctk_troll
06-19-2010, 11:34 AM
So along with the awesome flight physical (which only took 1 1/2 months to get). What the heck is with this "Retraining Package Checklist" they throw into the AFPC incident. AFCT retesting letter? Typing Test Letter? Copy of PAST test?

Is this just a generic form or do I really need to take the PAST test and bomb it to be an F.E.

FE Buckeye Pride
06-19-2010, 01:27 PM
So along with the awesome flight physical (which only took 1 1/2 months to get). What the heck is with this "Retraining Package Checklist" they throw into the AFPC incident. AFCT retesting letter? Typing Test Letter? Copy of PAST test?

Is this just a generic form or do I really need to take the PAST test and bomb it to be an F.E.

If you look at your "AFPC Checklist" it should have marked off the boxes you need to complete. Common sense should tell ya, you dont need to complete the PAST. The PAST is only for Spec-Ops. Your list should only deal with medical and a few others.

ctk_troll
06-19-2010, 01:32 PM
If you look at your "AFPC Checklist" it should have marked off the boxes you need to complete. Common sense should tell ya, you dont need to complete the PAST. The PAST is only for Spec-Ops. Your list should only deal with medical and a few others.

I wouldn't trust common sense when dealing with anything AFPC related.

But yes thank you, I really didn't want to have something stall out over a mis-understanding.

xCHICOx
06-21-2010, 02:14 PM
+1

Common sense and AFPC are not meant to be used in the same sentence.

C17 E&E
06-22-2010, 05:34 PM
My ETP was approved May 20, only took a few weeks. I believe my package went to the board last week, so hopefully I'll hear something at the beginning of the month. It took forever to put the package together, so hopefully I get accepted at the first board so I don't have to wait forever. Hopefullt they see I'm a cocky maintainer who can drop some F bombs at the drop of a dime.... although that's not gonna help much in school!!

strangeluv8
06-22-2010, 11:21 PM
My ETP was approved May 20, only took a few weeks. I believe my package went to the board last week, so hopefully I'll hear something at the beginning of the month. It took forever to put the package together, so hopefully I get accepted at the first board so I don't have to wait forever. Hopefullt they see I'm a cocky maintainer who can drop some F bombs at the drop of a dime.... although that's not gonna help much in school!!

How did you find out your package went to the board last week? B/c if thats the case, hopefully mine did too! Good luck to ya bro!

C17 E&E
06-23-2010, 03:48 PM
How did you find out your package went to the board last week? B/c if thats the case, hopefully mine did too! Good luck to ya bro!

I went to AFPC Secure and clicked on MY STUFF, then pulled up my retraining stuff. SSgt Jones replied to me stating that ETP had been approved and that my application had been sent in for approval/disapproval. He also stated that I should hear something between 30-120 days. It was weird though b/c I never received an email, and normally I'd recieve an email when they submit something.

C17 E&E
06-24-2010, 04:26 PM
Hey all... checked the RETRAINING ADVISORY today. Under SSGT it dropped from 17 to 16, so somebody got accepted at the board last Wednesday. Hoping it's me, but if not congrats and good luck!!

racer847
06-24-2010, 09:48 PM
Hey all... checked the RETRAINING ADVISORY today. Under SSGT it dropped from 17 to 16, so somebody got accepted at the board last Wednesday. Hoping it's me, but if not congrats and good luck!!

Thats good news C-17 E&E, hopefully mine will approve soon. Just double checked and I am still waiting on my ETP to be approved. Definitely keep us updated on your status, I was only a few days behind you, will hopefully hear soon.

xCHICOx
06-24-2010, 09:51 PM
Thats good news C-17 E&E, hopefully mine will approve soon. Just double checked and I am still waiting on my ETP to be approved. Definitely keep us updated on your status, I was only a few days behind you, will hopefully hear soon.

Waiting to be approved at your CC level or already submitted to AFPC?

racer847
06-25-2010, 02:46 AM
Waiting to be approved at your CC level or already submitted to AFPC?
submitted to afpc on the 24th of may

Rowelex82
06-25-2010, 12:47 PM

That was mine, I got approved yesterday and will be going to class on the 16th of July, sooooo excited to finally be able to go retrain. I don't know about some people, I've been waiting for over a year working on my package to get approved. What a blessing in disguise for me. I'm very grateful to the people that have posted before about the information that is needed and the patience.

xCHICOx
06-25-2010, 01:19 PM
Congrats man, I will prob see you down there.

Rowelex82
06-25-2010, 02:15 PM
Congrats man, I will prob see you down there.

Congrats to you to, I'm driving down from Offutt so I will at least have my vehicle with me. How many others have class dates on the 16th of July?

strangeluv8
06-25-2010, 03:39 PM
Congrats to you to, I'm driving down from Offutt so I will at least have my vehicle with me. How many others have class dates on the 16th of July?

Congrats on the approval! What's your AFSC and was an ETP required? Just trying to get an idea as to how long it is taking AFPC to hand out class dates after final approval.

Rowelex82
06-25-2010, 03:43 PM
You know the route you need to take, talk to the Chief, and contact the CEA recruiter MSgt Bergin. That doesn't sound right if the quotas are still there. I spoke with AFPC yesterday, and they said the server is down...won't be getting a replacement until May 26. Maybe that's the problem, I don't know, but I would definately contact the above individuals. Greatest of luck to you.

Hey just to let everyone know MSgT Bergin has retired. MSgt Cami Anderson is the one that was taking his place from what she told me.

Rowelex82
06-25-2010, 03:45 PM
Congrats on the approval! What's your AFSC and was an ETP required? Just trying to get an idea as to how long it is taking AFPC to hand out class dates after final approval.

2A6X2 AGE Mechanic, I just got approved yesterday and had class dates later on in the afternoon. Too bad I was gone yesterday and had to find out at 0600 this morning.

Rowelex82
06-25-2010, 03:49 PM
Ok so here is a list of questions that I have. One is what paperwork do i need to bring with me? I have my entire package for the retraining that I'm taking with me. Is there anything that I need to keep an eye on so that it doesn't expire? I know that I will probably need to go get my Flight Physical redone since it was done over a year ago and I don't want to go overdue or expire while at school. What should I be expecting at Fundies and BFE. I have done some research but I haven't found the answers to what I'm looking for. Thanks everyone that has posted before it is def. a big help when your feeling lost in all the mumbo jumbo.

FE Buckeye Pride
06-25-2010, 05:03 PM
Ok so here is a list of questions that I have. One is what paperwork do i need to bring with me? I have my entire package for the retraining that I'm taking with me. Is there anything that I need to keep an eye on so that it doesn't expire? I know that I will probably need to go get my Flight Physical redone since it was done over a year ago and I don't want to go overdue or expire while at school. What should I be expecting at Fundies and BFE. I have done some research but I haven't found the answers to what I'm looking for. Thanks everyone that has posted before it is def. a big help when your feeling lost in all the mumbo jumbo.

As a 1-Charlie (ARMS) troop with a HC-130P squadron, Ive been working with our FE's and Loads going over engine make-ups, weight and balance, etc.

Ive been told by multiple people that Fundies is a weed-out course. Pretty simple. You will go over the basics of flight, long-division, chamber, AFIs/Pubs, etc.

BFE gets more specific with AFIs, different aircraft make-ups, trouble shooting, and the biggest thing - TOLD (Takeoff and Landing Data). You factor in all flight ingredients and cross charts to get the numbers for your flight.

Golther
06-25-2010, 05:16 PM

Your initial Flight Physical is good for 2 years.

Rowelex82
06-25-2010, 07:19 PM
No. From what was explained to me by the school house. You need your 1042 by your first day for "fundies" since Lackland will not lift a finger to do any of the catch-up work. They will send you back to Little Rock to get the required paperwork and you could and probably will end up losing your seat. You'll need it mainly to get your altimeter chamber qualification during probably fundies. Although the ironic thing is that you CAN if you have time in between, see the flight doc to get your SF600(or whatever the SERE clearance form is,) done for your SERE training while you are kicking around between classes at Lackland if you have to. I would recommend having that formed completed and complied with sitting in your folder of important papers by day one of fundies/BFE. The only issue you may have is that if you're like me, then you may have to actually bring all the gear you need for SERE and water survival if you have to fly out to Fairchild immediately after Fundies/BFE.

Does anyone know where the list is that I need for the gear that I need to bring with me? I literally just got my papers today and am scrambling to get things together and I need to know what items I need to take with me. My RA is being an@$$ and isn't too inclined to help me because he is retiring and doesn't care. I've looked in the reporting but am not finding what I need. Any help would be greatly appreciative.

Rowelex82
06-25-2010, 07:21 PM
Your initial Flight Physical is good for 2 years.

I'm actually having to get another one done because since I wasn't in actual training for the first year that my flight physical was good that it will only be good for one year. I had to call flight med. and I'm waiting for them to call me back to make sure things are still good.

xCHICOx
06-25-2010, 07:23 PM
Have you looked at the ETCA page? Hopefully you have a good 1st Sgt that might be able to help with the RA situation.

Rowelex82
06-25-2010, 07:23 PM
As a 1-Charlie (ARMS) troop with a HC-130P squadron, Ive been working with our FE's and Loads going over engine make-ups, weight and balance, etc.

Ive been told by multiple people that Fundies is a weed-out course. Pretty simple. You will go over the basics of flight, long-division, chamber, AFIs/Pubs, etc.

BFE gets more specific with AFIs, different aircraft make-ups, trouble shooting, and the biggest thing - TOLD (Takeoff and Landing Data). You factor in all flight ingredients and cross charts to get the numbers for your flight.

Are there specific regs that I should be looking at? I have to read them everyday as it is and keep up to date with Maint. AFI's.

Rowelex82
06-25-2010, 07:26 PM
Have you looked at the ETCA page? Hopefully you have a good 1st Sgt that might be able to help with the RA situation.
Yea I'm still reading through it right now, I literally don't have any time to waste and get outprocessed. Plus I have to train someone else to do my job to take over my position now. hehehe Soo glad that I'm going to be going to school again. My 1st Sgt is very cool and will def help me out with the RA situation. Thanks Chico

Ok so have gone to the ETCA webpage but the only thing that I'm seeing is the General Procedures. Can anyone guide me through which link that I'm supposed to click on and what information that is needed. Thanks

C17 E&E
06-25-2010, 10:12 PM
Rowelex.. Congrats to you. Sucks you have to scramble, now I'm glad that it wasn't me. I'm moving next week, so that would f'n suck. Hopefully you get everything squared away soon, good luck, and def keep us posted!!

strangeluv8
06-26-2010, 01:40 AM
Does anyone know where the list is that I need for the gear that I need to bring with me? I literally just got my papers today and am scrambling to get things together and I need to know what items I need to take with me. My RA is being an@$$ and isn't too inclined to help me because he is retiring and doesn't care. I've looked in the reporting but am not finding what I need. Any help would be greatly appreciative.

Give MSgt Matthew Ardis a call first thing Monday morning...he took over for MSgt Bergen. He is the CEA recruiter at the Pentagon. If he is not in the office...leave him a message, he will get back to you asap. He should have the answers your looking for...if not, he will point you in the rite direction. There might even be some more info in the nearly 300 pgs of this thread...

Man, I wish I was in the same boat rite now...supposed to move 21 Jul too...but I would figure it out no doubt! Still waiting on approval...gonna take a miracle to get released from my career fld.

Good luck to ya!!

Bill

bcoco14
06-26-2010, 06:13 AM
I'm actually having to get another one done because since I wasn't in actual training for the first year that my flight physical was good that it will only be good for one year. I had to call flight med. and I'm waiting for them to call me back to make sure things are still good.

Actually, no you won't. As Golther said your initial is good for 2 years and as long as you enter training at Lackland prior to that 2 year mark, it can be extended out another 12 months so you can completer training.
You don't need to see your RA for anything yet. You wont get anything issued to you prior top BFE unless your PCSing from an overseas base. You get all your stuff after BFE and before SERE.
Log onto the portal and look at the ETCA site, it gives you all your reporting instructions. As far as fundies and BFE be prepared to study. If you want something to read look up AFM 59-1 that will be the most help.

Golther
06-26-2010, 07:26 AM
Actually, no you won't. As Golther said your initial is good for 2 years and as long as you enter training at Lackland prior to that 2 year mark, it can be extended out another 12 months so you can completer training.
You don't need to see your RA for anything yet. You wont get anything issued to you prior top BFE unless your PCSing from an overseas base. You get all your stuff after BFE and before SERE.
Log onto the portal and look at the ETCA site, it gives you all your reporting instructions. As far as fundies and BFE be prepared to study. If you want something to read look up AFM 59-1 that will be the most help.'

I agree and concur.

Soon2beexloadtoad
06-27-2010, 07:11 PM
Yea I'm still reading through it right now, I literally don't have any time to waste and get outprocessed. Plus I have to train someone else to do my job to take over my position now. hehehe Soo glad that I'm going to be going to school again. My 1st Sgt is very cool and will def help me out with the RA situation. Thanks Chico

Ok so have gone to the ETCA webpage but the only thing that I'm seeing is the General Procedures. Can anyone guide me through which link that I'm supposed to click on and what information that is needed. Thanks

Once you log into ETCA. Go to "Search." If you don't know the course i.d. then scroll down to the bottom of the page and pick a location. Choose the location of the school your looking for. Under the list of Courses that show up for that location, pick yours. There you should find all of your reporting instructions, prereq., and other info.
Go to the desired course. For example: SV-80-A. Scroll half way down the page to "Medical Requirements." Look under step three. There is a link that will bring you to a page that has your required SERE equipment and medical forms. If its going to more than 6 months till you attend SERE do not have your evaluation/form 600 done yet. It will have to be done again if it is over six months old when you attend classes.
As for your BFE and aircrew fundies, that too is all on the ETCA site.
I hope this helped man. Don't forget to make your lodging reservations for Kelly Inn, not Gateway. Trust me it's ten times better.

Rowelex82
06-27-2010, 10:04 PM
Thanks to everyone with the quick responses, i'm actually working on making sure that I have all my paperwork in order. Good Info on the AFM and the Flight Physical. I hope to be seeing some people soon. To all that are in the 16 July Fundies shoot me an email or text at Bernie.Lee.Rowe@gmaill.com, 402-575-1033.

Rowelex82
06-27-2010, 10:08 PM
Give MSgt Matthew Ardis a call first thing Monday morning...he took over for MSgt Bergen. He is the CEA recruiter at the Pentagon. If he is not in the office...leave him a message, he will get back to you asap. He should have the answers your looking for...if not, he will point you in the rite direction. There might even be some more info in the nearly 300 pgs of this thread...

Man, I wish I was in the same boat rite now...supposed to move 21 Jul too...but I would figure it out no doubt! Still waiting on approval...gonna take a miracle to get released from my career fld.

Good luck to ya!!

Bill

Thanks for the information. I will def. have to get a hold of MSgt Ardis Monday.

ctk_troll
07-02-2010, 04:13 PM
Log onto the portal and look at the ETCA site, it gives you all your reporting instructions. As far as fundies and BFE be prepared to study. If you want something to read look up AFM 59-1 that will be the most help.

This looks like really useful information, but I was unable to get onto the ETCA website (some certificate error) on all the computers at my work station. I'm assuming I'll be given directions on where to go and what to do at each step of retraining but I also assumed that when I got to my first base.

Would anyone mind elaborating on the reporting instructions?

Thank you.

YaKkO
07-04-2010, 09:29 PM
This looks like really useful information, but I was unable to get onto the ETCA website (some certificate error) on all the computers at my work station. I'm assuming I'll be given directions on where to go and what to do at each step of retraining but I also assumed that when I got to my first base.

Would anyone mind elaborating on the reporting instructions?

Thank you.

Go here: https://www.my.af.mil/etcacourses/

Then go to search and enter the PDS code for the applicable course. I didn't read back to see if you have that info or not. But you can also search by course title. I got to the site by my CAC reader at home. So it should easily work at your shop.

If you were accepted congrats and don't suck. The job is no joke.

Any other questions just ask.

McGuire_ECM
07-07-2010, 05:11 PM
FYI.....Air Staff will not accept applications if you are currently being paid a SRB. You must wait until you are half way through the enlistment in which you received a bonus.

I just found that out today after I had everything submitted (FCIII, ETP, Commanders coordination, etc) and I was denied at final review. This is new guidance as of 3 weeks ago per AFPC.

racer847
07-08-2010, 04:02 AM
FYI.....Air Staff will not accept applications if you are currently being paid a SRB. You must wait until you are half way through the enlistment in which you received a bonus.

I just found that out today after I had everything submitted (FCIII, ETP, Commanders coordination, etc) and I was denied at final review. This is new guidance as of 3 weeks ago per AFPC.

Did they ask you to submit an SRB recoupment letter? I had to sign a recoupment letter when I applied (went final 24 May), basically it said I understood I may be required to repay my SRB if I am approved for crosstraining.

Were you at a higher SRB? My current SRB multiple is the same as the 1A1 so I am curious if that had anything to do with it.

McGuire_ECM
07-08-2010, 04:48 PM
Yes I filled out the SRB recoup letter, and the day after I uploaded it to AFPC, they sent a response telling me that Air Staff will not accept because I am only 1 year into my 6 year re-enlistment. My SRB is a 3 for 2A5X3C at the time, not sure what it is now. I asked AFPC if I could submit a exception to policy for the new SRB guidance from air staff and they told me they would not accept it. I just wish I would have completed this process 3 weeks ago.

xCHICOx
07-08-2010, 06:06 PM
Sounds like an e-mail to the CEA recruiter could help....?

strangeluv8
07-10-2010, 06:37 PM
Well, round 2 did not go as planned. Disapproved again! After what I thought were successful efforts of comm with the HQ AETC CEA Functional Manager, CEA Recruiter and several Seniors/Chiefs on the mx side...my AFCFM will not release me from the 2A6X1 career fld.

The fact there are still 21 FY10 TSgt quotas avail does not mean a thing if my AFCFM says no. Guess I will have to wait til the FY11 slots drop and Phase II of the NCORP is over before I can apply again. I will not give up! This has been the dream job I have wanted for over 6 years...They will have to tell me no up to the day I retire from the USAF!!

Good luck to all of you who are on your way to the best job in the Enlisted world!!

Bill

ctk_troll
07-10-2010, 08:13 PM
The fact there are still 21 FY10 TSgt quotas avail does not mean a thing if my AFCFM says no. Guess I will have to wait til the FY11 slots drop and Phase II of the NCORP is over before I can apply again.

? If I'm understanding this right, all those FY11 slot openings for jobs are not being issued right now? I've noticed the last month or so they job numbers havn't really moved a whole lot (except for 1A4x1 went down by 1).

If I select to retrain to a job with 0 FY10 spots but 20 FY11 spots do I have to wait or something? (I'm FTA btw)

McGuire_ECM
07-11-2010, 01:42 PM
Sounds like an e-mail to the CEA recruiter could help....?

How do I find him/her? What is a CEA recuiter?

xCHICOx
07-12-2010, 01:34 PM
How do I find him/her? What is a CEA recuiter?

https://afkm.wpafb.af.mil/community/views/home.aspx?Filter=OO-DP-SO-02

xCHICOx
07-14-2010, 04:50 PM
2 weeks out and still no orders for me... how long before you guys got your orders to go to training? I thought it was by 30 days out or something?

Golther
07-14-2010, 04:53 PM
2 weeks out and still no orders for me... how long before you guys got your orders to go to training? I thought it was by 30 days out or something?

about a week for me

xCHICOx
07-14-2010, 06:24 PM
Thanks man!

xCHICOx
07-15-2010, 02:49 PM
Another question...If my 422 says I'm approved for 1A1 but my IFC III is stamped as being approved for 1A2, does it really matter since we get another one done before IQT?

Golther
07-15-2010, 06:13 PM
Another question...If my 422 says I'm approved for 1A1 but my IFC III is stamped as being approved for 1A2, does it really matter since we get another one done before IQT?

I doubt it matters, but I would ask AFPC. About getting another flight physical before IQT probably not gonna happen because your initial if good for 2 years. I am about to leave for my IQT today and I have not received a new flight physical.

Spunjah413
07-18-2010, 07:23 PM

No it doesn't matter. Also you probably will not get another Flight Phys befor IQT. I just got my 1st annual done and I just checked out of IQT/MQT in June, which includes me PCSing last september and not starting IQT til December.

BigBaze
07-24-2010, 12:29 AM
Your initial physical will last you through BFE and depending on when your IQT starts, that too.

xCHICOx
07-24-2010, 12:31 AM
I "think" I got everything squared away for next week. Do you guys have any suggestions on anything else I might need down there? Calculator, highlighters etc.... If I'm staying on Kelly, is there lodging office there or do I have to go check in at Lackland?

akruse
07-24-2010, 07:19 AM
Bring yourself, uniforms, notebook, pencil, and a brain. Check in on Kelly if you have reservations. If you don't, beg, borrow, or stab to get reservations here.

imported_ANALYST
07-25-2010, 03:53 PM
I "think" I got everything squared away for next week. Do you guys have any suggestions on anything else I might need down there? Calculator, highlighters etc.... If I'm staying on Kelly, is there lodging office there or do I have to go check in at Lackland?

Dude, highlighters are a must. We burned through them like no other, make sure you leave at about 0620 or so if you want too dodge the traffic at the gate. Good luck to you.

akruse
07-25-2010, 05:00 PM
Dude, highlighters are a must. We burned through them like no other, make sure you leave at about 0620 or so if you want too dodge the traffic at the gate. Good luck to you.

I leave at 0700 on the dot and haven't showed up in class any later than 20 after.

bcoco14
07-25-2010, 06:25 PM
I leave at 0700 on the dot and haven't showed up in class any later than 20 after.

Well then you would have been 5 min late!

akruse
07-25-2010, 06:34 PM
Well then you would have been 5 min late!

He'll be under summer hours. I'm 10 minutes early.

OGrady
07-25-2010, 08:42 PM
Any 2W1's gone 1A1 out there? I just got my email back from AFPC stating I'm qualified for FE. Now on to the paperwork. Any advice? I'm really hoping the NCORP doesn't hold me up too bad.

bcoco14
07-26-2010, 01:00 AM
Any 2W1's gone 1A1 out there? I just got my email back from AFPC stating I'm qualified for FE. Now on to the paperwork. Any advice? I'm really hoping the NCORP doesn't hold me up too bad.

I was a 2W1. The NCORP will be a non issue this year due to the fact that 2W1's are on the out list 25 SSgt and 10 TSgt have to cross train. Only advice I would give at this point would be get started on your class 3 ASAP. You will aslo have to do a feeder ETP as well. Good Luck.

OGrady
07-26-2010, 01:05 AM
Roger that. I just got the email stating I was qualified yesterday morning. I will start my class 3 bullshit tomorrow morning. How difficult was the schooling for you, considering you were a 2W1? Also, what'd you put on your ETP letter about weapons and why you should be a exception to policy? I'm a first term SrA, got BTZ, no paperwork, ect ect. There's 108 slots for FTA FY11, so hopefully those are good odds for me. I've been trying to absorb as much info as possible off the forums, and just downloaded the 51-9 to study, should I get picked up.

bcoco14
07-26-2010, 03:45 AM
Roger that. I just got the email stating I was qualified yesterday morning. I will start my class 3 bullshit tomorrow morning. How difficult was the schooling for you, considering you were a 2W1? Also, what'd you put on your ETP letter about weapons and why you should be a exception to policy? I'm a first term SrA, got BTZ, no paperwork, ect ect. There's 108 slots for FTA FY11, so hopefully those are good odds for me. I've been trying to absorb as much info as possible off the forums, and just downloaded the 51-9 to study, should I get picked up.

Schools not that bad, you get out of it what you put into it. If you want to go out drinking and all that, it will be rough. Although there is plenty of time for that on the weekends. Fundies is kinda boring, you learn some new stuff but most of it you should know already. BFE is a whole different animal. It's ALOT of info thrown at you real quick. 51-9 is a good read and is beneficial but it's not a must. I read it before I went and it does help make some sense of what there are going over. For the ETP I just put why I felt I would be a great addition to the career field. I listed my experience as a maintainer, any awards I had won and how the MX side of a 2W1 put me in a good position to succeed.

OGrady
07-26-2010, 03:47 AM
Schools not that bad, you get out of it what you put into it. If you want to go out drinking and all that, it will be rough. Although there is plenty of time for that on the weekends. Fundies is kinda boring, you learn some new stuff but most of it you should know already. BFE is a whole different animal. It's ALOT of info thrown at you real quick. 51-9 is a good read and is beneficial but it's not a must. I read it before I went and it does help make some sense of what there are going over. For the ETP I just put why I felt I would be a great addition to the career field. I listed my experience as a maintainer, any awards I had won and how the MX side of a 2W1 put me in a good position to succeed.

Great, thanks a lot for the info. How long did your flight physical take to go through? I hear it takes forever...

bcoco14
07-26-2010, 03:55 AM
Great, thanks a lot for the info. How long did your flight physical take to go through? I hear it takes forever...

Mine took about a month. Sent you a PM.

mad_cap_1
07-26-2010, 06:37 PM
I am also a 2W1 going for 1A1. I have been working on my package for awhile now(almost a year). Getting scheduled for the Class III was nearly impossible. I had to get glasses and retake my depth perception tests, but other than the wait everything has gone smoothly. Right now I am just waiting for my 1042 and 422 to come back to me to finish my package. Keeping my fingers crossed to get picked up. I also put in for 1A4, but really only want 1A1.

mad_cap_1
07-27-2010, 07:25 PM
So I have been putting my package together for 1A1 for about a year now. I just received my 1042 and 422, uploaded them to my account and submitted my package today. Here is the response that I received back:

Unfortunately, we are currently processing NCORP Phase I requests only. According to Air Staff, no ETPs will be accepted. You will have to resubmit your request 1 Oct 2010.

Does anyone know if I can get around this? I pushed my package as CAREERS, can I change it to NCORP? I really don't want to wait until Oct. to resubmit.

Gunner7
07-29-2010, 08:02 PM
Sounds like a BS answer, but the good news is that there is a person at Air Staff who gets paid to help you out. Contact MSgt Matt Ardis at DSN:227-1717. He is the CEA In-Service Recruiter and will do all he can to resolve this. FTA or Careers retraining applications should not grind to a halt because FY11 NCORP has started. If you are a second term Airman in an AFSC that has retraining out objectives and want to retrain into a 1A or 1U job you need to get the Flight Physical started by 06 August per the NCORP announcement. If the hospital cannot get you in for an appointment by the deadline at least start the process with a record review and document it. Good luck to you all!

mad_cap_1
07-29-2010, 09:50 PM
Definitely a BS answer. I contacted MSgt Ardis and he told me he is aware of what the Air Staff is doing and that they are working on the issue. I have everything ready to submit, Flight Physical finished and all. AFPC just won't let me. I am just really impatient with getting my package in seeing how it has taken me so long to get everything ready. Hopefully it will get sorted out soon.

TheDude
08-04-2010, 09:55 PM
Used to be a 2W1! Thank God I got out of that! Best advice I can give you right now, would be to stay on top of the people that are handling your paperwork, things get misplaced very easily!

mad_cap_1
08-05-2010, 06:57 AM
Used to be a 2W1! Thank God I got out of that! Best advice I can give you right now, would be to stay on top of the people that are handling your paperwork, things get misplaced very easily!

I can't wait to say that! Right now I am just getting the runaround from AFPC.

TheDude
08-05-2010, 08:51 PM
.I put in for retraining 2 years ago and I'm just now going through the flying portion of IQT- it is a long process for some, but in the end, it is WELL worth it- hang in there!
I can't wait to say that! Right now I am just getting the runaround from AFPC.

gundog
08-16-2010, 09:18 PM
I was told that AFPC was "unofficially" taking retraining packages with ETPs. Submit your ETPs with your retraining packages and if you are told now by AFPC that they are not taking ETPs, contact MSgt Ardis at HAF so that he can run it up the chain.

KC10
08-17-2010, 12:40 AM
Hey again guys;

It's been a long time since I've posted. Just wanted to thank you all for your help - I have graduated BFE, finished SERE, and am now training for my dream job as a KC-10 FE! [prior -10 maintenance, so I am strongly biased :D]

I'll drop in periodically to answer what questions I can. If anyone has Q's about tech school, SERE, aircraft, etc, send me a PM! I just got through a lot of it, so it's still fresh in my head.

And to those struggling through the system: IT IS VERY MUCH WORTH IT!!! Oh my God words cannot emphasize how cool this job is. Well maybe they can. But words are failing me at the moment.

Big Sal
08-17-2010, 07:19 AM
I was told that AFPC was "unofficially" taking retraining packages with ETPs. Submit your ETPs with your retraining packages and if you are told now by AFPC that they are not taking ETPs, contact MSgt Ardis at HAF so that he can run it up the chain.

I concur, Im living proof. I am a first term airman, overseas, I had to submit an ETP on July 14 2010 because I had to wait for FY 2011 quotas to come out. I got my (5) status on August 10 2010. So everybody keep going and dont give up!

merchant5967
08-17-2010, 07:22 PM
Does anybody know how the process is for the Reserves. I want to cross train to FE or AG at a nieghboring base. There is a vacancy for both. Does it take so long in the reserves too? Just wondering cause it sucks to get the run around.

mad_cap_1
08-18-2010, 07:25 PM
I concur, Im living proof. I am a first term airman, overseas, I had to submit an ETP on July 14 2010 because I had to wait for FY 2011 quotas to come out. I got my (5) status on August 10 2010. So everybody keep going and dont give up!

Hopefully I will be able to say the same thing soon. Resubmitted my package today and will be crossing my fingers until I get an answer.

Golther
08-18-2010, 07:30 PM
Hey again guys;

It's been a long time since I've posted. Just wanted to thank you all for your help - I have graduated BFE, finished SERE, and am now training for my dream job as a KC-10 FE! [prior -10 maintenance, so I am strongly biased :D]

I'll drop in periodically to answer what questions I can. If anyone has Q's about tech school, SERE, aircraft, etc, send me a PM! I just got through a lot of it, so it's still fresh in my head.

And to those struggling through the system: IT IS VERY MUCH WORTH IT!!! Oh my God words cannot emphasize how cool this job is. Well maybe they can. But words are failing me at the moment.

Pretty much the same with me except I am currently in C-130 IQT. (I was also f-16 avionics before so I don't know squat about the 130)

onyx
08-18-2010, 07:38 PM
Pretty much the same with me except I am currently in C-130 IQT. (I was also f-16 avionics before so I don't know squat about the 130)

When did you start?

Golther
08-18-2010, 07:40 PM
I started Fundies on 26 Feb 2010 and I started IQT here in Little Rock on 19 Jul.

mad_cap_1
08-18-2010, 08:29 PM
Well so much for that. Any 2W1's out there out NCORP quotas ran out. Back to waiting until 1 Oct to resubmit. Talk about a broken system.

onyx
08-18-2010, 08:45 PM
I started Fundies on 26 Feb 2010 and I started IQT here in Little Rock on 19 Jul.

Were you guys the class with the 4 failures on the engines test?

Big Sal
08-19-2010, 03:24 PM
Hopefully I will be able to say the same thing soon. Resubmitted my package today and will be crossing my fingers until I get an answer.

You package should make it to the End of the month board. As long as you included all the paperwork they requested. The waiting is the worst part of the process to me.

C17 E&E
08-19-2010, 08:47 PM
Pretty sure this was my last board this month, hopefully I hear something soon. I guess my supervision screwed me after hearing our Career Assistance Advisor's briefing this morning..... If your in your first term you can apply for FTA/CAREER, if you have already re-enlisted you have to choose NCORP. Well I have re-enlisted and I put down CAREERS on my application when i began. I hope this doesn't fuck me!!

ctk_troll
08-21-2010, 03:12 PM
Well, I started may 22nd with my eligibility request. Aug 20th and I recieved my commanders approval and my application has been sent up to HQ or where ever paperwork ends up.

JLE
08-23-2010, 02:55 PM
Hi,
I have my part II of the Class 3 on Thursday, 27 August. I was wondering, if anyone would happen to know if AFPC is accepting ETPs (balanced Career Field)? Seems, there are few on here that could give good insight.

Thanks!

Jacob

FE Buckeye Pride
08-23-2010, 08:29 PM
Hi,
I have my part II of the Class 3 on Thursday, 27 August. I was wondering, if anyone would happen to know if AFPC is accepting ETPs (balanced Career Field)? Seems, there are few on here that could give good insight.

Thanks!

Jacob

Speaking from recent experience of having to do an EVP, yes, they are still acepting them. I am a 1C0X2 (ARMS) guy for the next month (then I head to Fundies and BFE), therefore I had to do an EVP. It was pretty easy stuff. I did a talking paper format with the CC endorsement. Scanned and emailed it in. The only bad part about this is that it can slow down you package as it is one more step to complete. Not a big deal. Feel free to email me if you need any assistance.

PS. Make you you have the correct Office to send your EVP to at AFPC - otherwise it can make it a cluster f___.

C17 E&E
08-23-2010, 09:42 PM
Just got off the phone with the CEA Recruiter. If you are in a balanced AFSC and have submitted an ETP you will be disapproved at this time. AFPC is trying to get those in NCORP who are mandated to retrain taken care of first. After this happens the rest of us can resubmit our applications. Until then we are getting disapproved and put on hold.

mad_cap_1
08-24-2010, 07:36 PM
Crap I just talked to all parties and was told to submit my package. Submitted on the 22nd. I hope it doesn't get kicked back again. If I have to resubmit it again that will be six times. NCORP Sux IMHO.

ctk_troll
08-26-2010, 07:44 PM
So I've been staring at the online retraining advisory since the new FY came out. This thing is supposed to be real time right? Are people really just not retraining into FE. It hasn't even gone down 20 spots in over 3-4 months. Not to mention 1A0X1 hasnt moved a single job.

mad_cap_1
08-27-2010, 12:41 AM
So I've been staring at the online retraining advisory since the new FY came out. This thing is supposed to be real time right? Are people really just not retraining into FE. It hasn't even gone down 20 spots in over 3-4 months. Not to mention 1A0X1 hasnt moved a single job.

It's not for lack of trying. IMHO, Air Staff and the NCORP program have hindered most of the application process.

ctk_troll
09-01-2010, 04:03 PM
Dose anyone know when they inform people with status updates on VMPF?

mad_cap_1
09-02-2010, 07:07 PM
I would also like to know when they update. I hope I don't have to wait the full 90-120 days.

bcoco14
09-04-2010, 08:47 AM
Updates happen in real time in VMpf. If your meeting a board you will usually see something about the 5th of the next month.

imported_ANALYST
09-07-2010, 01:57 AM
Im headed to Little Rock tommorow, C-130 IQT and MQT here I come. Glad to see you still helping people out "B". Golther, make sure you have the welcome party assembled.

Golther
09-07-2010, 08:31 AM
I will try my best if I'm not still sleeping....

afmedic4
09-08-2010, 03:42 AM
Getting your Flight Physical approved is MORE than half the battle.

mad_cap_1
09-08-2010, 05:18 PM
The battle is getting AFPC to accept your package. Waiting for an answer back is the worst part. I wish they would at least send updates for when it goes to the board or if it gets passed over until the next board.

FE Buckeye Pride
09-08-2010, 06:25 PM
Hey guys, headed to Lackland for Fundies 24 SEP - 06 OCT and BFE 07 OCT.

Any others headed that way around the same time?

crwchf16
09-08-2010, 06:32 PM
Congratz you lucky bastard!

Hey guys, headed to Lackland for Fundies 24 SEP - 06 OCT and BFE 07 OCT.

Any others headed that way around the same time?

merchant5967
09-12-2010, 04:25 AM
Hey guys, is it an absolute that you have to come from a maintanance career field to become an FE? I'm a medic right now in the reserves but I'm very interested in becoming an FE. I've heard it's possible to get an exception to policy letter. Is that hard to do?

bcoco14
09-12-2010, 08:03 AM
Hey guys, is it an absolute that you have to come from a maintanance career field to become an FE? I'm a medic right now in the reserves but I'm very interested in becoming an FE. I've heard it's possible to get an exception to policy letter. Is that hard to do?

Yes it's possible to get an ETP as a medic, the pain sometimes is getting your CFM to release you. I don't see any resistace coming from your CFM but if they do the CEA recruiter works wonders.

ctk_troll
09-14-2010, 08:07 PM
So I got status 5 today... The only problem is I applied for 5 jobs, anyone know when I find out what I'm selected for?

akruse
09-14-2010, 11:40 PM
So I got status 5 today... The only problem is I applied for 5 jobs, anyone know when I find out what I'm selected for?

Call them. Worked for me.

mad_cap_1
09-15-2010, 03:06 PM
Let us know what you got. If it is FE, maybe there is hope for the rest of us.

ctk_troll
09-15-2010, 07:30 PM
Yep, calling worked, "Tentative approval into afsc 1A1X1 FE". I was really hoping for 1A7 or 1A0 but I'm more than happy to get FE and get out of 2A5x1.

I read some where on the retraining application that I can use my BOP in conjuntion, I think I just have to wait for my classes.

Golther
09-15-2010, 08:14 PM
Yep, calling worked, "Tentative approval into afsc 1A1X1 FE". I was really hoping for 1A7 or 1A0 but I'm more than happy to get FE and get out of 2A5x1.

I read some where on the retraining application that I can use my BOP in conjuntion, I think I just have to wait for my classes.

I assume your active duty, and if so the BOP is BS you will get your assignment when you are at BFE. You may get your assignment earlier if your overseas. Then you will PCS to your gaining unit before going to BFE and fundies.

ctk_troll
09-16-2010, 07:28 PM
I assume your active duty, and if so the BOP is BS you will get your assignment when you are at BFE. You may get your assignment earlier if your overseas. Then you will PCS to your gaining unit before going to BFE and fundies.

I figured as much, but with a job like FE I really don't care where I end up.

I think I read something about my losing base having to pay for uniforms ect. Is there any truth to that?

Golther
09-16-2010, 07:36 PM
I figured as much, but with a job like FE I really don't care where I end up.

I think I read something about my losing base having to pay for uniforms ect. Is there any truth to that?

Yep that is quite true, but you will not know what gear you need until you get assigned to your new airframe. You can get the gear lists from the ETCA website.

ctk_troll
09-16-2010, 07:45 PM
ETCA? Google has no idea what that is.

Golther
09-16-2010, 07:49 PM
ETCA? Google has no idea what that is.

https://www.my.af.mil/etcacourses/

You need a CAC to access it. The portal barely knows what it is.

ryme4reson
09-21-2010, 05:31 PM
This is my first post. I recently joined the AF Reserves as a C-5 Eng @ Travis. I just got my class dates - 26 Nov for fundies, 16 Dec for BFE. Water and combat survival starting 10 Feb. I'm gonna do my best to stay at the Kelly Inn. Driving from Cali to Texas over Thanksgiving. Anyone else going to be in this class?

Any last words of advice? I was a crew chief but I got out in 2002.

airforceairman
09-22-2010, 08:40 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum but have browsed several times. I am currently a 2A6X1 and have been approved for cross training into 1A1X1! I'm very excited about getting to the ops side of the house. Need a change of pace from the maintenance perspective. I am currently in status 5 in the virtual and was just wondering if anyone else has gotten a class date yet. I was approved on Sep 14th. Thanks and good luck to everyone!

ctk_troll
09-24-2010, 03:34 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum but have browsed several times. I am currently a 2A6X1 and have been approved for cross training into 1A1X1! I'm very excited about getting to the ops side of the house. Need a change of pace from the maintenance perspective. I am currently in status 5 in the virtual and was just wondering if anyone else has gotten a class date yet. I was approved on Sep 14th. Thanks and good luck to everyone!

I have the same approval date as you but no class dates yet, maybe we'll end up in the same class.

BigBaze
09-24-2010, 08:04 PM
If any of you guys are getting KC10's here at McGuire, the squadrons will automatically hook you up with flight suits/patches, green jacket, pubs bags etc (you get a leather jacket once you become mission qual) so if you want to avoid the pain of asking your losing squadron for the gear just hang loose. If you are coming to the 2nd ARS shoot me a PM and we can get your stuff lined up, the best way is to go to your base supply and find out what size flight suit/jacket you wear so they can order them up here if they don't have your size. Our supply guy is awesome, he automatically got rehired as a GS doing the same job when he retired. Good luck!

airforceairman
09-24-2010, 08:30 PM
That sounds cool. I just hope we get a seat soon. Can't wait! I'm deployed right now so anything to look forward to is a plus. Got a buddy in Lackland right now going through BFE. Says its pretty tough but if you keep your nose in the books, you'll be fine.

YaKkO
09-28-2010, 04:58 AM
Golther!

Hows class!?

I check next week? How bout you?

Golther
09-28-2010, 05:08 AM
I'm doing pretty good. This class is actually kinda hard. I have actually had to do some studying it kinda sucks. I have never even had to work this hard before for a class, not even in college. How are you doing? I tried to call you when I was on my way out here in July but your number was disconnected.

YaKkO
09-28-2010, 02:28 PM
I'm doing pretty good. This class is actually kinda hard. I have actually had to do some studying it kinda sucks. I have never even had to work this hard before for a class, not even in college. How are you doing? I tried to call you when I was on my way out here in July but your number was disconnected.

Yeah sorry we got new phones before we left for Oklahoma. Well, I'm off to a boring SIM ttyl man.

Also I'll PM you the new number